Willoughby, Ohio

4.0/5 (258 ratings)

About AVG Antivirus

AVG Technologies offers innovative and comprehensive online security for private and business use. It provides a wide variety of security products, including virus scanning, malware removal and antivirus downloads for computers and businesses.

Pros

• Won’t slow down your computer
  • Offers free versions
  • Easy to use software

Cons

• Free version is limited
  • Adding devices is pricey

Bottom Line

AVG is ideal for people and businesses looking for a basic program that offers high-quality protection. There are many free options to try, and the program is effective in detecting and removing threats to online security.

AVG Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: March 14, 2021

I used AVG many MANY years ago, but cancelled them and switched to Bitdefender. Going through my business card statements, though, I came across a renewal charge from November 2020. I reached out to customer service to find that they had no record of it, or any of the email addresses I use. They ran the card number to find that they have an AOL email I used almost 20 years ago. No idea how many times it's "auto renewed" with notifications to an old email address, but they've likely been charging me for years and I never noticed. I asked for a refund for the most recent one and they stated that it would only be refunded within 30 days. Doesn't matter that I have zero computers using AVG, apparently. They're just going to keep the money. Disputing with my CC company directly!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I use AVG free ver 18.8 because that is the highest version that will work on XP 64 Pro. When all the shields are actually on, the program works as intended and is adequate for my needs. Regardless of the operating system or even what version of AVG is used, me and 1,000’s of others seem to experience the same (years long) persistent flaw in the software. Every time the virus definitions update there is a significant chance that at least one of the shields will turn itself off. The only indication is the orange exclamation circle over the notification tray icon. In my case it’s the file or behavior shield and this is fixed by simply turning it back on provided I am paying attention.

AVG could do one of two things to address this situation. FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Of course there is a better chance that Trump will exit gracefully, than AVG fixing the problem. The other thing AVG could do is have a customizable pop up notification with audio that shows up every few minutes until all shields are running. Again, not very likely because they just don’t seem to give a crap.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

After trying the free AVG I got a lot of junk from them. Finally paid for one year and got no download info. Click download and Firefox popped up. 3rd party that got the money says they have no control over AVG. Big scam from Japan. The Internet address is all in Japanese.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Stay away from AVG!! It hijacks your computer and uninstalling is a nightmare. Almost impossible short of having to reformat your computer. The free version is even worse than the paid as it installs all sorts of 3rd party plugins.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I purchased a subscription for AVG Internet Security on 15 December 2019 and then received another reminder from them and accidentally purchased a 2nd subscription for the same product, AVG Internet Security, on the 19 December 2020. (Had memory problems after a medical event). They completely refuse to give me a refund on my 2nd accidental purchase, even though it is of totally no use to me! I have been a good customer over many years but I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. Nasty Customer Service. I resent this company a lot.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I contacted them because my computer stopped working and it was working perfectly fine before I purchased and installed this antivirus. I contacted tech support because the anti virus wasn’t opening up then they had me put my computer on safe mode. I clicked because I had a family emergency and I called back once it was all over. I got with another tech and he was not helpful at all, he said, "It’s $119 if you want me to help you fix this problem for this one time or $199 for you to be calling back if you have more issues." What do you mean? I shouldn’t keep having issues with your product! I said, "What? I put my computer on safe mode and other tech was helping me."

He “laugh” as if I were dumb and I got upset and said that I wasn’t told this before I put my computer on safe mode and that I paid for this antivirus and why should I pay for them to repair their problem and I said I rather cancel subscription since it didn’t work and he said it’s fine and I told him he was rude for laughing and just hang up. I will return call to cancel this that didn’t work and the customer service is horrible!

Original review: April 8, 2020

AVG secretly installs itself onto a computer through CCleaner. It is not possible to uninstall it without another app from AVG and a whole lot of trouble. Any app that needs secrecy to install itself is a VIRUS not a reputable antivirus. Should be sued for self-installing without user consent.

Original review: April 4, 2020

AV Total is powerful, but not very user friendly. The ad blocker works well. The cleaner finds the worst, viruses. I don't know about any others, because it doesn't keep track, at least not that I've found. It is rated as one of the best so I got it. I am neither satisfied nor disappointed by it. Any other would do the same things.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I use the antivirus that I received with my computer when I purchased it. It runs regularly and will ping for a threat thats found. its probably the most basic software for an antivirus but as I dont do much except work and maybe netflix once in a while, it works for me.

Original review: April 2, 2020

This software is on my laptop. It is effective and efficient to protect my work- writing a book and personal, and other subject matter. Even the free download is sufficient. It is also not as "Heavy" as Norton, meaning: it does not take up a lot of bytes, space, memory- which is a great benefit, because my laptop is small and does not have a lot of capacity for extra, added software.

Original review: April 1, 2020

The product I use is free and is still a good choice. It gets updated regularly. It protects me like all the other ones do. It is the best I have found for the price. Good choice. No trouble with it. Easy to use.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Even the free version which I have had for 10 years has been very intuitive and is pretty reliable for blocking most threats. However it has missed some serious threats and is always showing pop-ups to try to sell more protection apps.

Original review: March 27, 2020

It works great for what I use my computer for which is just surfing the web. I don't use my computer for any personal business like Bill paying or banking. Or any other personal info so this works for me just fine.

Original review: March 24, 2020

I have been using the free version on multiple devices for years and it has generally done a good job. Had to use another program usually Malware Bytes a few times to clean up an issue. Good product.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have used avg for years. Never a problem. Free version or a very affordable upgrade. Does kot hog memory or slow your pc like McAfee and Norton. Catches latest malware and viruses. It has never failed.

Original review: March 22, 2020

We are using the free versions accompanied by CCleaner and Malwarebytes all free versions. They work together scheduled during hours we are not in the computer. So far we have had no difficulty but monitor when new versions are available.

Original review: March 21, 2020

It’s good. I trust them and they have a free option. It works constantly, it warns you about malware, I never had a problem with it installed on my computer. It also does not interfere with other programs.

Original review: March 21, 2020

AVG offers a multitude of choices for software. They cover all aspects for antivirus software. Their daily scrub of my computer is very thorough and effective. Updates are often and very secure. I love the all encompassing aspect of one click search for viruses and clean-up. Or you can do separate searches yourself. They have an excellent rating from CNET and they are among the top virus software. Very good customer service with any problems.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I use the Free version that tells me every day of things that are slowing my computer, and it shows me ads and tells me I should upgrade and buy other products. Being living on Social Security I can't afford the full cost AV.

Original review: March 11, 2020

For the most part I have been satisfied with AVG, but recently I noticed that I seem to have duplicate subscriptions associated with my account. First of all, it concerns me that it would be possible to subscribe twice to the same subscription without AVG letting me know at the time that I already had that subscription. I have always thought that when I was renewing it was because my old subscription was actually running out (indicated by numerous emails and notifications from AVG) and that I was just renewing, not adding it a second time.

Secondly, I have been trying to find a way to contact them to ask if there was some other explanation for this but am finding it impossible to get in contact with support. I tried starting a chat but after writing my message it just went to a page that said "chat is not available at this time". And there was no option to send as an email. This makes me feel like I have no other option but to leave a honest review and hope they will get back to me. I am frustrated with the lack of clarity and communication. But hopeful that it might improve in future and that my issue might actually be addressed. We shall see.

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2020

I have to eat some crow. My last review was quite critical of AVG; not for the quality of their software but for the quality of their customer service. Having heard nothing for several days after contacting them with my original grievance I had written the issue off with no hope of recovery. I thought the best thing to do would be to spread the news and limit the casualties. Had I waited just a few more days I would have discovered that AVG had, indeed, refunded all my costs by crediting my card. I was too quick! I was wrong and I apologize. This level of care, attention and responsibility demonstrated by AVG is rare in my experience. This speaks lowly of the state of business ethics today. I'll take this as a sign that we're improving. I'll be back with AVG as soon as the dust settles and my embarrassment subsides. I would not hesitate to recommend this firm to anyone.

Keith

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

It might well be wonderful software. I'll never know. I was using the Antivirus and Tune Up modules on a free 60 day trial which began at the end of 12/19. In January my cc got hit for the whole pop. I called and asked for a refund (which was given, thanks) and for the subscription to be canceled (which, apparently, was not). On February 1, 2020 the cc got hit again for the exact same amount ($75.00). This time, when I called (about 6 times) I got a song and dance about their inability to grant the refund UNTIL I first pay them $250.00 to clean my computer and then AND ONLY THEN will they be able to cancel my subscription and grant my refund. Pretty cute, huh? Smell like a RANSOM to you? Me too. I'm going to do everything I can but I don't hold out much hope and losing that $75.00 hurts like a tooth. I thought, for the benefit of an online community that has always been good to me, I would pass this along. Tread carefully.

Keith

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Bought the multidevice AVG Ultimate product. Far from ultimate and multidevice. Do not buy. Tried to add my iPhone and when tried to add the subscription does not work. Reached out to support and was advised mobile device is a separate subscription. Misleading product and service. Very disappointed. Do not buy on on multi product mislead information. Other products on the market not pulling this crap.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

My husband and I purchased AVG for 2 years in September of 2019. We had a tech friend come over and check to see why one of the computers was not working correctly. He uninstalled AVG and installed ESET onto the computer. Once ESET ran it found a Trojan and removed it. I contacted AVG about the Trojan and explained to them I would like a refund as we paid for 2 years and will not be using their services any longer as a Trojan was found. They informed me that they would not give us a refund, due to it being past their 30 day guarantee and to contact their customer care team.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

When antivirus security program shuts down by itself without warning and leaves your computer unprotected it is time to find a more reliable and robust antivirus. I searched for solutions first and found open issues with several users going back to 2017. I followed the same procedure. Repair did not work. Complete reinstall did not work. Coincidentally AVG quit working for me one day (13 January 2020) before Microsoft discontinued support for Windows 7. AVG had done an update on 13 January 2020 and that is when my AVG Antivirus started shutting off by itself. I verified that AVG was no longer running by viewing task manager. I was able to install Kaspersky Free with no issues and that antivirus is not shutting itself off.

Hi, Peter:

We're concerned to hear you had this experience and would like to get more details so we can investigate further. Please contact us privately and let us know if you ran our uninstaller prior to reinstalling, if any error messages appeared at any point, if any other antivirus or anti-malware software was installed at the time, your full name, and subscribed email address (in case support needs to reach out for further information).

-AVG Team

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I keep getting emails to say my package will automatically renew. I logged onto AVG and cancelled my subscription and I got confirmation email. I received this today to tell me it will auto renew. This happened last year and it took money out of my Paypal account. It showed as a subscription though not set up through PayPal. I tried phoning AVG and emailing. Never got sorted & if they take money out of my PayPal account this time I will be getting legal involved.

Hi, Carol:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to help get any confusion resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, and which product this is for so we can have our team look into it for you.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

CA, fix your site. It drops filled forms when users REFRESH THE PAGE. THAT IS BAD. Now, onto AVG... I used to use SafeSearch. I also use to have much more well-written and well thought-out review than the angry tirade you're about to be exposed to, but I'll sum up my issues as quickly and politely as is appropriate for the situation. I used AVG SafeSearch on Chrome for over 6 years. I rather liked it. Then I restarted Chrome this morning to discover that AVG was demanding control of my homepage, search engine, and startup page, all of which I've spent those 6 years tweaking and adjusting as I see fit.

In any other situation, such alteration would quickly be ignored, fixed, and not be an issue. Instead, I find that your application REFUSES TO FUNCTION unless these changes are made (as if it functions at all, seeing as I've not had a single AVG popup on Chrome or my desktop that wasn't already caught by ANOTHER APPLICATION). So, Ohioans who think themselves an internet security company, I shall be taking my business elsewhere to companies that don't break security protocols or anger their users with shady practices. Someone like Kaspersky or Symantec, probably. Kthxbye.

Hi, Alex:

As this is not the intended behavior for our software, we would like to get more information so we can help get the issue resolved for you. Please contact us directly with your full name, subscribed email address, any error messages you may be receiving when trying to block the changes you mentioned, and which version of Chrome you're running so we can better assist you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I purchased this product at a well known retailer. When I went to install it, it defaults to the FREE version (it will ask you for a renewal payment online) and will not let me activate my code. When I contacted customer service, they wanted to charge me 129$ for support. So now I am stuck with a one month free trial after paying $89 for the antivirus in a store. I would not recommend this product to anyone. Malfunctions online and customer service experience was horrible.

AVG Antivirus response

Hi Lisa, we'll get this taken care of for you! We're concerned that you may not have been in touch with official AVG support — there would of course be no support charge if there was an issue with the activation code you purchased. Please contact our official support team here (https://support.avg.com/) and our team will get things resolved. If you need any further assistance or followup, you can email us at avg-team@avg.com.

AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

On February 12, 2019, I contacted AVG Customer service to inform them their paid product of AVG Internet Security was not working with Express VPN. An AVG tech employee remote accessed my computer to check assist me and confirmed there was an issue with AVG. I received a followed up with an email from Jaya ** confirming this was a known issue. At that point I chose to use the free version of AVG.

On November 30th, I called to cancel my subscription for the 2nd year since the paid version had not been working. I used the paid version for 2 months out of 24 months (prepaid for 2 years which I advise no one to do). Customer service promised me that I would receive an email regarding my refund request within 3 business days but no one from AVG ever got back to me. I called AVG today (12/15/19) to inquire about my refund request and I was advised the request was denied. I am writing this review to give some insight about the poor customer service at AVG. If AVG is aware of compatibility issues I was having and I did not use the paid product, I feel as thought they should have refunded by for the 2020 unused protection period.

Hi Bryan,

We're concerned about a couple of things here. First, we'd like to confirm that you were in contact with official AVG support. Please contact us here via private response with the case number you received from the support tech, so we can investigate. Also, you should have no problems using the VPN program of your choice with AVG. You can try adding exceptions to AVG for the Express VPN program, and also disabling Secure DNS. Please let us know if that resolves the issues!

AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I purchased the AVG VPN a few months ago. It worked for awhile, then stopped working. I purchased a valid Activation Code at the time and now the program is telling me it's not valid. I've emailed AVG back and forth for several weeks to no avail. I've followed all the tech support instructions they have given me such as uninstalling and reinstalling the product. I've logged in and the system confirms my subscription but yet it will not allow me to turn the VPN on. Their product is not working and I have requested a refund. This is their response:

"Thank you for contacting AVG. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way, and can understand your frustration. Our hands are tied in this matter as the refund was requested after the 30 day refund period had passed. As a result, we are unable to process a refund. We are bound by our 30 day refund policy, which you may view here. Thank you for your understanding."

The problem is I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING. I want my money refunded. This is the first time I have used a PAID VERSION of any of their programs and it certainly will be the last.

AVG Antivirus response

Hi Robert, we're really concerned about this and want to get to the bottom of the problems you're having. Please either send us a private message here, or contact us via email directly at avg-team@avg.com. It will be helpful if you can provide your registration email as well as any ticket or support case numbers from your contact with our support team. We look forward to getting this straightened out. -AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I got a new computer, my first windows desktop in quite some time, and I opted to sign up for a credible antivirus software that would hopefully mitigate one of the windows meltdowns I had experienced in the past. I ran the free AVG antivirus scan and it told me to upgrade to clear some suspicious files on my BRAND NEW computer. That should have been a red flag right there. Anyway, I proceeded with my subscription.

Fast forward a few months and I decided to run another computer scan. I run the scan and the computer goes through three different scans. The last of the three scans detect some suspicious files and sends me to a screen telling me to upgrade my service to remove the files. I quickly notice that the upgrade they are telling me to sign up for is the upgrade I was already subscribed to. I then realized I had run the scan while not being signed into my profile so they did not detect that I had already paid for this functionality in their software. So I sign into my profile and re-run the scan expecting these suspicious files to be removed at the third step.

When I re-run the file I now find there are FOUR SCANS, NOT THE THREE I HAD RUN THE FIRST TIME WHEN NOT SIGNED IN! This time the third scan titled "Advanced Issues", which had originally detected numerous threats to my computer and prompted me to sign up for a subscription, ran through with NO ISSUES DETECTED!! Better yet, the added fourth scan titled "Performance Issues" was run and it now detected "threatening files" which were not covered by the subscription I had already paid for and told me I had to UPGRADE MY SERVICE.

This is complete larceny. They determine what is threatening or not based purely on your subscription status, and then report it in a scan with functionality only accessible to you if you upgrade to their next tier of service. It makes me sick that I paid this company the first time. SAVE YOUR MONEY and go to a different anti-virus software. This is not the AVG I remember from the early 2000's.

Hi, Curtis:

Thanks for your feedback! The difference between the number of scans that were run likely had to do with signing into your subscribed feature set. While we do include some free trials of our other great products in our packages, we do offer the ability to customize them to fit your specific needs by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Troubleshooting>Add/Modify Components. Notifications can also be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy.

AVG Antivirus Company Information