3.32/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

310 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 6, 2019

License subscription expiration PC tuneup when I paid for a 12-month subscription. I have paid for a 12-month subscription and the warning appears that my license has expired. I have paid for this license a number of times and have been a long time customer. If this issue is not resolved I will take my complaint to the Australian Department of fair trading, write up an internet post, withdraw my subscriptions with other products I currently subscribed to and install a competitors product. This is not the first time this has occurred and I am tired of wasting my time resolving these issues. Thank You.

Hi, John:

We apologize for any confusion and would like to help get this resolved for you. Once the purchase process is complete, you will receive an activation code. Please visit us here to activate your software: https://www.avg.com/en-us/activation

If you have further questions, please contact us privately here and we'll be happy to help!

Original review: March 15, 2019

In January, 2019, I was reminded by AVG that my subscription would be automatically renewed on February 19, 2019. I immediately cancelled my subscription in January. Lo and behold, when I received my credit card statement in February, there was the $65.54 charge for renewal. I wrote AVG and requested that they remove the charge immediately, as I would be charged a late fee if not removed before February 19th.

After 3 different interactions with them demanding more information from me because they supposedly could not find my account, I received an apology this morning from Pavel **. He was sorry that it took so long to honor my request, but now the full amount would be refunded in “generally no more than 7 business days” because now it is in the hands of the payment operators. I am beyond angry with them because it falls on me now to call the credit card company to inform them of this situation. NEVER, NEVER do business with AVG!!!

Hi, Connie:

We're sorry to hear you had this experience and would like to look further into what happened. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to investigate further.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I'd been a customer for years, having paid for the full version. I woke up this morning to find my full version had been replaced with the Free version, and an "AVG Browser" had been installed without my permission. I did NOT download or run any installation software - THEY did it. Of course, to get into my paid account, I need to log in, but my login doesn't work. I've requested a password reset 6 times, and have never received the "change password email" they promised to send. This company is a SCAM - do not use! Now I'm worried I have autorenewal on, but I cannot access my account to turn it off.

Hi, Don:

We're concerned and would like to help! Please contact us directly and let us know if you recently updated your software, your full name, AVG account information, and approximately when you purchased your software and we'll be happy to get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 13, 2019

Have used and paid for AVG Internet Security and AVG PC TuneUp programs for many years. New computer online early January 2019 and AVG placed free trial program, to buy for 3 years, 10 devices was priced at $89.99 plus tax. Adding PC TuneUP for unlimited (small print that's 10 devices) was an additional $49 for one year, $149 for three years.

Problem AVG "AUTOMATICALLY" renewed by previous subscription for PC-TuneUp (1 device/1 year) for $44.99 ($48.70 with Tax) on Jan 28, 2019. The next day AVG "AUTOMATICALLY" renewed previous subscription of AVG Internet Security (3 devices/1 year) for $83.99 ($90.92 with Tax). Both products: Tools (order# **) Internet Sec. (order# **).

I requested a refund separately for both products the same day (Jan 28, 2019 and Jan 29, 2019). Separately because each product on the refund request you must enter the Product KEY #. Each request generated 4 emails. a. An acknowledgement of my request, b. A notification that my order had been cancelled. c. An email stating my refund had been started and should be returned to my account (PayPal) in seven days. d. The following day, a survey on how happy was I with customer service with my problem.

We are now two months later and after each seven day period another request for refund (4 total requests for each product/all the same results, 4 emails but no REFUND). And Still I'm less Refund. So we go from almost buying the product to use on 10 devices for three years to HATING the company and how they treat their customers. They list a phone #; but for refunds you MUST use the website and complete the refund form to no avail.

Hi, Carlo:

Thanks for reaching out! To avoid customers being at risk due to a break in service, we offer automatic renewal as an option during the initial setup process. The default option is automatic renewal, but we offer the option to deselect this box for those who prefer to perform this manually. We'd like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your purchase information, full name, AVG account information, and your preferred contact email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 4, 2019

About 5 months into the second year of my subscription with AVG I had some issues requiring my IT person. He said I only had AVG Free on my computer. Impossible I said. I have been paying for two years the premium protection product. On further inquiry he was right. I had purchased 12 month technical support. Did I need that? No. Did I use it? No. They offered me the product but can't deal with someone I have lost confidence in.

Hi, Dimitri:

We apologize for any confusion. Instructions for registering your software and activating your license can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Registering-Products-Purchased-via-Retail-Store-or-Reseller&q=how+to+activate+product+with+online+code

Please contact us privately if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help!

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: March 1, 2019

On 23 Feb 2019 I purchased this, "product" believing it was as good as some of the airport ads made it out to be. I was misled immensely. After reading all of the reviews and having had to slug it out with the "tech support" people in The Philippine Islands, requesting an immediate refund, I found I was being lied to by people who do not even know their own product, let alone have any customer service skills. I was asked for a return phone number so that the could do a "follow up" call in which I adamantly declined after having read the reviews here.

Upon installation of this "product" I took note of several things. Pop-ups began almost immediately and never ceased until, I had to take my laptop back into the location where I purchased the laptop to eradicate the "product". I was then told that, "Under no circumstances should you ever buy or use AVG for any reason whatsoever". They provide little to no technical knowledge of their own product, the customer service reps have poor phone manners and attempt to talk over you (they don't like it when you do it to them - too bad), and furthermore any presumed technical support amounts to them transferring you to a rep in India, and that person spoke unintelligible English.

To further complicate matters, upon installation of this" product", when I attempted to import a scanned document, AVG intercepted that document 9 times and prohibited me from doing so. Shortly thereafter, the laptop was compromised in that no further internet access was made available, despite several attempts at a hard re-start (all programs shut down, battery pulled and allowed to rest for upwards of 30 minutes on SEVEN tries!).

As per my computer repair person, "AVG has a series of issues that allow it to intercept and stop any normal functioning and will not acknowledge or allow any normally used file to be utilized. After being in a verbal argument with the presumed "customer service rep -" Crystal, in the P.I. on 1 March at 2:55 A.M. her time and 10:55 A.M. my time, requesting and then demanding an immediate refund, I was placed on hold for well over 20 minutes. This situation is still ongoing and will soon enter civil litigation for false advertising, as well as a complete scam of the presumed "product".

A word of warning and caution to those who are or have considered buying this item, DON'T buy it, don't use it even if it's free. A complaint has been filed and sent to the Washington State Attorney General's Office in Olympia Washington for further action. Again, do NOT purchase this product and don't use the free version. It's worse and the subsequent results will most likely provide you with more than enough reasons to reach for a headache pain pill or three.

Hi, Don:

We're sorry to hear you had issues with our software and would like to look into this unusual behavior. We'd also like to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG Support so we can investigate and get this resolved for you.

Please contact us privately with your full name, email address, any support ticket information you received, where you acquired our software, and any error messages you may have received.

Resolution response: March 13, 2019

The customer care was able to step in and ensured that I got a full refund for the tune up product which I never ordered. I will go on and install the antivirus and I hope it works perfectly.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have used AVG antivirus / internet security for a decade and I always thought they were great. Until today. My AVG internet security suddenly alerts me that my subscription has expired, and I immediately tried to renew subscription from the installed software. Digital river, I was told, was the firm that was going to sell my AVG subscription. I was given the option for two add-on programs, which I ensured were not checked. It was the user interface, and I did not see any agreement to check on. I paid for internet security only at $29. Pronto I was charged $29 for internet security and another $29 for PC Tune up. Must be an error, I thought.

I now go online and the reviews for AVG are damning! One out of five stars? How could you kill this great business by allowing scammers get control of processes? Now I have the download links to both the internet security and the PC tune up in my email. I have not downloaded nor used the keys as I do not intend to lose money on this tune up thingy. I was still thinking of activating the internet security, but the reviews I have seen here have given me a change of heart. Look, I will still use internet security if you guarantee that there is no risk to my systems if I use this. For the PC tune up, no way! I want my money back. Did my beloved AVG sell the company to a set of grifters?

Hi, Adewale:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to investigate what happened and help make this right for you. Please contact us privately with the 2 purchase receipts, your full name, and contact email address so we can get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up with AVG Free back in 2016, and decided to upgrade my account to the full version. Not only did they charge my account for the renewal fee, but they also doubled that charge and charged it to my credit card. I filed a fraud/dispute with my credit card and went through all the back and forth with that. I was found in favor on that dispute and my account was credited back for the doubled charges. I then cancelled my account and have confirmation via email that the account was cancelled and no further charges would be made.

I requested a new credit card with a new number after that incident. Today, I checked my credit card account and saw that on 2/7/19 they charged me again, the doubled charge. So now I am going through the process again of fraud/disputing the charge with my credit card. Not only do I no longer have an account with them, but they also charged my new card with a new number that was never provided to them. I would NOT do business with this company and use their antivirus program. They have been nothing but a nightmare!

Hi, Jennifer:

We would have no way of acquiring your new credit card number, nor would we charge you without your permission, so we're extremely concerned and would like to investigate! Please contact us privately with the biller name, amount, date of charge, your subscription cancellation confirmation, where you originally purchased our software from, your full name, and your preferred contact email address so we can look into this.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I had the free version of AVG, never had an issue until I decided to upgrade for $29 a year. Thought this was a good deal. Next thing you know they got hold of my computer and really trashed it. They removed all my pictures, my document file as well as Microsoft Office ($150 program I had no issues with). The "key" expired on this program and to get it back I would have to pay another $150. They deny erasing anything. I had no issues until I got the paid version of AVG. AVG SESSION should show the hell I went and am going through. I only saved pictures and files that are important to me, and they erased them all.

Hi, Daniel:

Thank you for reaching out. Our software was designed remove only what it's told to remove, so we would like to look into what happened. Please contact us privately with more details including any support ticket information you were provided, what action was being performed prior to noticing your files were gone, troubleshooting steps you took (i.e. recover files from the virus chest, etc), your full name, and your preferred contact email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have a limited version of their "Tune-Up" software, and an hour ago I was tuning up my laptop. A message popped-up (as happens every two minutes with EVERY AVG product) and offered a full and complete version for $4.99/month. I clicked it, it loaded, and loaded for 10 minutes, but nothing. So, having been tricked by them before I wondered what would happen if I tried clicking on the "Pay for a full year up front" option... guess what? The option I wanted wouldn't load, the option they were really offering was my only option. I called demanding what they had just offered me 10 minutes prior: "We're so sorry we no longer offer it month-to-month"... How long ago did you quit offering it the way you just now offered it? I asked: "About a year ago." DISHONEST.

Hi, Derek:

Thank you for reaching out. We'd like to get more information about the version of our software you're running. Please contact us privately and let us know so we can investigate what happened.

AVG Antivirus Company Information