Willoughby, Ohio

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

AVG Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

AVG has to be the worst ever antivirus. I am so fed up with it, it keeps popping up all the time - I have tried to get rid of it several times but there is nothing on the program that I can delete it. It seeMS THAT THIS PROGRAM HAS ME TRAPPED.

Hi, Marie:

We're concerned to hear this and would like to help! Please contact us privately and let us know what is popping up and what troubleshooting steps you took to resolve the issue so we can better assist you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I purchased the service agreement and AVG protection plan for two years around $350. Ever since they installed everything via remote access my contracts which can be up to 90 plus pages, can no longer print from laptop to printer. I spent 57 minutes on the phone with Rod this evening, then waited for a call for 17-min for a more technical supervisor to help me. The guy that I was finally transferred to kept speaking over me telling me what had been done. Obviously, I was more knowledgeable on the sequence of event, as he misrepresented them. I just wanted the issue resolved in a timely manner, as agreed when I purchased the service. He seemed very confused in his English and appeared agitated and irritated with the complexity of the problem. I've used AVG for many years, but will seek a more reputable resource that honors their commitment to quality service.

Hi, Daniel:

Thanks for your feedback! We'd like to get this issue resolved as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details including the number you dialed, any support ticket you may have received, and troubleshooting steps that were taken to resolve the issue and we'll be happy to assist!

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Blocks my needed vpn, has no live support to get help, my computer is worse since installing, tries to take over, not user friendly, I paid for a year and now it tries to still sell me upgrades. Doesnt install on other devices!! They give you the free one for phone etc,. Over all terrible.

Hi, Doug:

We want to help clear up any confusion! While we do occasionally notify our customers of our other products, these can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes. Under Troubleshooting, clicking Add/Remove Components will allow you to further customize our software. We're limited by how many characters for our response. Please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help with your other issues.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Two months ago, I have subscribed to the free trial for 60 days, expiring on 22 oct 2019.. Today 18 Oct, I have notified that the automatic renewal has been renewed and charged 69.99$ before I was going to cancel it.. that was surprising for me and that leads me to try to request a refund.

Hi, Ahmed:

Thanks for reaching out! We apologize for the inconvenience and would be happy to assist in getting this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, the details of the charge (amount, date, product, etc), and the date it was supposed to expire.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Tried to uninstall AVG but it wouldn't uninstall the entire program. I tried to delete it from the registry but it had embedded itself so much into it I could not possibly get it all. What's worse, was I tried to look up "uninstalling AVG" and the program actually blocked me from viewing these sites. Eventually I had to completely rest Windows 10 back to the beginning and reinstall all of my programs again.

Hi, Bryan:

Thanks for reaching out! Our software was not designed to block you from searching for the uninstall instructions on our site, so we would like to learn more about what you experienced and what kind of editing was performed prior to this highly unusual behavior. Please contact us privately with more details.

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I bought a 2 year subscription after reviving email from them. Email clearly stated that add ons of DRIVER UP DATEM and PC TUNERS were included free. I even clicked on ADD in the form and costs came up $0.00. I spent more than two hours trying to get this corrected with them. End result is that the email was not as stated and if I wanted those items it would be extra. I even went through the email offer with them. They basically said that it was not what is stated. I have used the free version for years. This will be the last time I use them.

Your order, plus other common purchases.
        AVG Internet Security AVG Internet Security i
        AVG Driver Updater i

$39.99 $0.00

Total: $159.99

Hi, Albert:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to learn more about the experience you had as well as the email you received. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to help get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I did a “free” trial for AVG Tuneup. It did nothing to speed up my computer so I turned off auto-renew. I got billed anyways. I had insufficient funds in my account so I got hit with $29 NSF fee from my credit union. I assumed my bank covered the difference so I requested a refund from AVG. I got an email confirming my refund would be processed. I called AVG about the NSF fee and was told my refund needed to processed first before providing additional help. I was also told I was still subscribed in spite of 2 attempts to terminate my account, one involving direct customer support. I later got an email from PayPal that AVG’s billing service would reattempt to bill me in a few days and to ensure I had funds in my account. I contacted AVG and was reassured I would not be billed again.

I was billed again, hit with another NSF fee and the PayPal took the AVG refund as reimbursement for billing I was assured would not happen. AVG support treated me like I was lying--claiming the money was actually being added to my account, not taken out. I eventually had to request to speak to management. I provided her with screenshots from my bank and copies of emails, a letter from PayPal explaining that on their end how Digital River billed me on behalf of AVG multiple times and AVG correspondence.

I was told someone would contact me within 5 business days. It's been over 5 weeks. I sent a follow-up email. No reply. If I had added the money to my account to prevent a second NSF fee they would have taken more of my money and never gave it back and not be bothered with responding to the fact that there are some problems with billing system they may or may not be aware of that would have totaled $108.00 for a service I’m not even subscribed to. My guess is when this sort of thing happens customer service that people just give up. This comes at a time when I’ve been hit with emergency medical expenses and I have wasted several hours a week from my already strapped schedule calling my bank, PayPal, and AVG trying to get this situation resolved.

After seeing other complaints here about people with cancellations, I have no reason to believe this won't happen again this time next year even though I have supposedly been removed from their system. While I am not entitled to a full refund, the fact that 2 attempts to cancel my subscription failed even with customer support intervention costing me money I desperately need right now.

I do not recommend any of AVG services-- I’m clearly not the only person who had trouble canceling my subscription. I've also learned they sell your search history, overall malware protection is mediocre at best and has caused significant problems for paid members computer function. Throw in random pop-ups that slow down your computer designed to scare you into buying more protection. Save yourself the struggle and google best free & paid antivirus software to find something better for your computer.

Hi Anna,

We're concerned about this and would like to resolve the issue. Please email us directly at avg-team@avg.com or private message us here — it will be very helpful if you can provide information about your purchase (purchase email, license info) as well as your interactions with support (support emails or case number).

We'll investigate what happened and work with you directly to get things all set.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

AVG Team

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I’ve been an AVG user for years, at $99.00 per year. The more recent software has continuous, fear based pop ups, always leading towards buying another of their products. It really is extremely intrusive. Because of these pop ups I actually bought the same software that I already had on my computer. How is that even possible??

I only became aware months later, when I got an email reminding me of automatic deduction coming up the following month, for my original yearly subscription. After emailed them, giving all details, asking for a refund, they not once answered my questions, just told me how they cared, which they obviously didn’t. They just reminded me of their refund policy with typical corporate language. Suffice to say I will not be using AVG again.

Hi, Steve:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to investigate what happened. Please contact us privately with your full name, contact email address, support ticket information (if you received any), and which products were involved so we can look into this for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have been an AVG customer for more than 4 years. I had the AVG products removed from all of my devices and replaced after discovering 6 viruses on my primary laptop. Last night, I initiated the "Unsubscribe" process. After waiting over 2 hours to receive a notification that the process had been completed, I discovered that it could take up to 24 hours. There is NO justification for that time lag. Needless to say, it did NOT take that long. However, I just noticed that the expiration dates all occur AFTER the next scheduled renewal. If I am charged, I will file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission.

Hi, Regina:

We're sorry to see you go and would like to learn more about the viruses you stated you found as we take your security and protection from viruses very seriously! Please contact us privately with more details. To address your concerns about our renewal process, we send an email to our customers approximately 1 month prior to the end of their subscription. Billing occurs approximately 2 weeks prior to the end of the subscription to avoid any interruption in service.

-AVG Team

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

We tried AVG free and liked it. As a result, we bought the Internet security from Staples, and installed it when the free trial expired. As with other reviewers, it kept reverting to the expired free version after a day or so. When we called Avg, the representative tried to upsell a repair and maintenance package. We were told that our computer had problems. We had not noticed any at all, and their free version worked fine. I expressed my dismay at being up sold but was told that it was their policy. When I asked the rep to disconnect from my computer, he did not and was argumentative. If a security company tries to separate you from your money, there is a problem. Refusing to disconnect is a serious problem. Tallying over a customer, just rude. I am going back to my former Internet security. Wish I had read the reviews.

Hi, Dagmar:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you dialed. Additionally, our software simply needs to be registered once installed in order to access your upgraded feature set. Please let us know if you registered the software after installation prior to the issue you experienced, or if you require assistance with the registration process, and we'll be happy to help!

AVG Antivirus Company Information