3.9/5 (1358 ratings)

About Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications® is a Fiber, Copper and Fixed-Wireless network provider that offers services in 25 states. Frontier offers customers unlimited tech support, a dependable connection for a monthly prices that’s been called the best value in Internet services. Visit its website to find out if its services are available in your state.

Pros

• Fiber optic internet
  • Variety of plans
  • Bundle options

Cons

• Limited nationwide service

Bottom Line

Frontier Communications has bundled internet, TV and phone options that work well for some people. It’s not available everywhere and reviews mention service issues, but some consumers report being satisfied with it.

Top Frontier Communications Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Frontier for years, and they have been almost the only option in my rural area ... I could not be happier with my service, and I have recommended them to several of my ...

Verified

My set top box locked up and I could not get it to reboot ... I called Frontier technical support and talked to Angela. She talked me through several steps ... She was polite and ...

What is Frontier Communications?

Frontier Communications is a wireless network provider that offers TV, phone and internet services. Like its competitors, Frontier has bundled services at a lower price than its standalone options. Internet options include traditional high-speed internet and fiber optic internet. Frontier Communications partners with DISH Network to offer DISH TV.

Frontier Communications price

Frontier Communications' plans and pricing vary based on location, but monthly costs for bundles typically start at $54.99 a month. Router services fees are an additional $10 a month. The table below features sample costs for plans based in Texas.

CostSpeed
FiOS 50/50 Internet + TV$54.9950 Mbps
FiOS 500/500 Internet + TV$64.99500 Mbps
FiOS 50/50 Internet, TV + home phone$64.9950 Mbps
FiOS 1G service + TV$99.99940 Mbps download, 880 Mbps upload

Frontier Internet plans

Frontier Communications has three internet options: traditional high-speed internet, FiOS and Vantage. Check what’s offered in your location; services vary by area. Standalone internet service costs $27.99 to $44.99 a month.

• High-speed internet: Although it’s called high-speed, this is the slowest internet option from Frontier. It works well for basic needs like checking email and browsing the web.
  • FiOS by Frontier: This fiber optic option from Frontier works well for gaming and streaming. It’s available in three different tiers: 50 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 940 Mbps. The 940 Mbps speed is only available with FiOS Gig Service.
  • Vantage by Frontier: Vantage has speeds that reach up to 200 Mbps in some areas. It’s best for multiple-device streaming, including 4K video, and fast downloads.

Frontier cable plans

At the time of publication, Frontier Communications mostly offered cable plans bundled with internet service, not as standalone options. Only the Dish TV plan is available for separate purchase.

• FiOS TV: Frontier Communications’ basic cable option includes sports channels, lifestyle channels, reality TV and on-demand movies. Bundles start at around $55 a month.
  • Vantage TV: Vantage TV is Frontier’s comprehensive option and has sports, news, movies, entertainment and international channels. Cable/internet bundles start at $82.99 a month.
  • Dish TV: Dish TV plans range from about $60 a month up to $95 a month. Basic plans have 120 channels. The comprehensive plan has 250 channels.

Frontier Communications FAQ

Is Frontier Communications available in my location?
Frontier Communications has service in Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
What services does Frontier Communications offer?
Frontier Communications has internet, cable and phone services.
How fast is Frontier internet?
Frontier has high-speed internet as fast as 12 Mbps. This works well for most homes and small businesses. Vantage by Frontier reaches 200 Mbps in some areas, and FiOS is as fast as 1 Gbps. This is better for those needing much faster internet for gaming or streaming on multiple devices.
What channels are included in Frontier packages?
Channels vary based on package, but customers can access news, sports and lifestyle channels plus on-demand movies and international channels.

Is Frontier Communications good?

Frontier Communications has had issues in the past with delivering reliable service. The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in April 2020, but it continues to offer service to customers. Some reviews mention being satisfied with Frontier Communications services. If the pricing and services offered seem fair to you, Frontier Communications is worth considering.

Frontier Communications Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Communications?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Like all cable providers, there are pros and cons. Frontier is my current provider inherited from Verizon when they sold off their cable division. For a brief period, I tried Spectrum and that did not work out. Back to Frontier. I have not experienced any on-going issues or unresolved problems with their customer service. I am not happy with the periodic increases in monthly charges and believe long time users and/or seniors should get more discounts than currently offered. Generally, I am satisfied with Frontier service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I think Frontier is expensive for what we get. They need more bundle options. I would like to make my own choice in what is in the bundle. When we have weather the picture often is interrupted. Other than that the picture is really good.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Pro, reasonably priced in comparison to other providers. Con, frequent service outages, interruptions in my area. Overall better total quality for cost and channel package versus Xfinity and Spectrum in my area.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I just move in, it is very easy to hook up my devices, I work from home, like printer monitor and computer, it will be easy for you too.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I felt the installation could have been much better. Like using the exterior access that was already there. Supplied what they said they would. No slow down or caps. Told them what I wanted and they delivered. Have not had to call them for anything.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: July 10, 2021

I got Frontier Internet two weeks ago at my home. It worked only 5 days and broke down, I called their service department and after initial troubleshooting I was told that a technician will be needed to fix the issue. They told me since it was a weekend so the next technician will be available after three days. I told them if my internet will not be fixed by not next day, I will have to go back to my previous provider Xfinity, well they sent a technician next day who changed the outside wall box and told me that they are having issues with these boxes. Just after one week and over the weekend we had to go thru the same situation, internet went out of service on Saturday and the technician will come on Monday to have a look. I had enough of this and called them to disconnect immediately. I will never use Frontier Communications again for unreliable equipment and not taking care of their customers once their equipment breaks.

Original review: July 7, 2021

This company is ** with customer service. I am going to go there and knock people the ** out. They do not know what customer service is at all. They just keep making up excuses for their damn issues.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 27, 2021

Stay away from the whole pathetic company. Contacted tech support because my internet service was constantly being disabled. Tech support turned out to be a person in a foreign country who couldn't speak English. Called Frontier to complain and was again connected to a non English speaking person. I called a third time and was connected to another foreign country to someone who spoke broken English. Told him about the constant lose of internet service. This totally inept person changed the ID and Password of my internet service. Doing that changed my service to "Public" and was now unsecured. It also destroyed all of my smart home devices. None of them are working because they were connected to the original ID and Password of my internet service router. And my internet service still comes and goes.

I hate this company. For three years I have complained about totally unreliable internet access and their phone service is horrible as well. Being the only internet and phone service available in this area they don't have to fix all their shortcomings and this community still has to pay Frontier for their lousy service.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 25, 2021

My friend has lived in Mehoopany for 14 years, and has had continuously poor phone & internet service with Frontier since day one. On average, every 3 months she has to have them come out for repairs. She has a constant humming on the phone, that gets so bad, you can't hear her on the phone. Her internet is constantly going out, or consistently slower than molasses! But Frontier keeps wanting that bill paid every month, and keeps raising the bill, for absolutely horrible, & inconsistent service anyway! Frontier wants their monthly payments from customers, but doesn't want to spend any money, maintaining their lines or services to those customers! Shame on you Frontier!

Original review: June 23, 2021

I will give you a brief summary of the issue but more details are best in conversation. To sum it up, my wife logged in online to pay our bill early only to find that the bill has increased. Since we haven't received the paper bill in the mail yet we called in to see what the difference was. Once we found out I started to call your competitors to find better pricing since I was not informed of any price increases. I accepted a deal from one of your competitors and I called into your call center to cancel my service on Monday June 21, 2021 at 6:13PM. Spoke with a wonderful young lady and informed her of my cancelation. She asked why and the conversation started from there.

Eventually, we both came to a mutual agreement and she convinced me to stay a loyal customer with the understanding that our agreement will be honored. The agreement was that I would keep my current pricing which my bill breakdown is $39.99 for service, $10 for router and a $3 increase for the internet infrastructure from $3.99 to $6.99 so my total monthly bill will go from $55 to $58 monthly and she will be upgrading my internet from the 200/200 to the 500/500 and setup a appt for a tech to install a new upgraded router. She also received approval to go ahead and waive the $85 tech fee. With all the conditions we mutually agreed to, I would stay a loyal customer.

Today, Tuesday June 22, 2021 I received a email stating that my new monthly charges would be $90 and I'm being charged the $85 tech fee and my next bill would be $180, which is not what was agreed. I called in to inquire about it and the first guy I spoke with said the promotions were put in incorrectly and he would have to cancel my order and tech appt to correctly input the changes. Since my wife had canceled her appts I was unhappy and asked for a supervisor. I spoke with MATT who was not willing to help or offer any solutions. He basically said the lady I spoke with was lied to me. There is nothing he could do except waive the $85 fee. All monthly charges he could not do anything.

I would like a to talk to someone in the corporate department about this issue and I would like someone to pull the recorded call I had on June 21, 2021 at 6:13PM to confirm the conversation. Myself being a loyal customer am upset and feel betrayed that I would be lied to and taken advantage of about this. The conversation I had with escalation supervisor MATT really upset me and I would like to give someone in the corporate department the opportunity to correct and rectify this situation. According to (MATT) I have until July 13th to make a decision.

I hope someone will do the right thing and make this situation right. I would hate for Frontier to lose a perfect paying loyal customer to a competitor because I was lied to. Even notations in the account can confirm what I was suppose to get. I would also hate to have to write a detailed and negative review against Frontier and its employees for lying to me. And I would feel obligated to inform my friends and family and social media about how I was lied to and have a supervisor tell me that another employee doesn't know the correct information and make false promises just to try to keep a customer, just to end up losing them to a competitor. I hope someone contacts me immediately, for in the meantime I will calling your competitors and making arrangements to cancel and switch service just in case Frontier doesn't correct and rectify this situation. I await your prompt and timely response.. Thank you.

Frontier Communications Company Information