3.8/5 (1716 ratings)

About Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications® is a Fiber, Copper and Fixed-Wireless network provider that offers services in 25 states. Frontier offers customers unlimited tech support, a dependable connection for a monthly prices that’s been called the best value in Internet services. Visit its website to find out if its services are available in your state.

Pros

• Fiber optic internet
  • Variety of plans
  • Bundle options

Cons

• Limited nationwide service

Bottom Line

Frontier Communications has bundled internet, TV and phone options that work well for some people. It’s not available everywhere and reviews mention service issues, but some consumers report being satisfied with it.

Top Frontier Communications Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Frontier for years, and they have been almost the only option in my rural area ... I could not be happier with my service, and I have recommended them to several of my ...

Verified

My set top box locked up and I could not get it to reboot ... I called Frontier technical support and talked to Angela. She talked me through several steps ... She was polite and ...

What is Frontier Communications?

Frontier Communications is a wireless network provider that offers TV, phone and internet services. Like its competitors, Frontier has bundled services at a lower price than its standalone options. Internet options include traditional high-speed internet and fiber optic internet. Frontier Communications partners with DISH Network to offer DISH TV.

Frontier Communications price

Frontier Communications' plans and pricing vary based on location, but monthly costs for bundles typically start at $54.99 a month. Router services fees are an additional $10 a month. The table below features sample costs for plans based in Texas.

CostSpeed
FiOS 50/50 Internet + TV$54.9950 Mbps
FiOS 500/500 Internet + TV$64.99500 Mbps
FiOS 50/50 Internet, TV + home phone$64.9950 Mbps
FiOS 1G service + TV$99.99940 Mbps download, 880 Mbps upload

Frontier Internet plans

Frontier Communications has three internet options: traditional high-speed internet, FiOS and Vantage. Check what’s offered in your location; services vary by area. Standalone internet service costs $27.99 to $44.99 a month.

• High-speed internet: Although it’s called high-speed, this is the slowest internet option from Frontier. It works well for basic needs like checking email and browsing the web.
  • FiOS by Frontier: This fiber optic option from Frontier works well for gaming and streaming. It’s available in three different tiers: 50 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 940 Mbps. The 940 Mbps speed is only available with FiOS Gig Service.
  • Vantage by Frontier: Vantage has speeds that reach up to 200 Mbps in some areas. It’s best for multiple-device streaming, including 4K video, and fast downloads.

Frontier cable plans

At the time of publication, Frontier Communications mostly offered cable plans bundled with internet service, not as standalone options. Only the Dish TV plan is available for separate purchase.

• FiOS TV: Frontier Communications’ basic cable option includes sports channels, lifestyle channels, reality TV and on-demand movies. Bundles start at around $55 a month.
  • Vantage TV: Vantage TV is Frontier’s comprehensive option and has sports, news, movies, entertainment and international channels. Cable/internet bundles start at $82.99 a month.
  • Dish TV: Dish TV plans range from about $60 a month up to $95 a month. Basic plans have 120 channels. The comprehensive plan has 250 channels.

Frontier Communications FAQ

Is Frontier Communications available in my location?
Frontier Communications has service in Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
What services does Frontier Communications offer?
Frontier Communications has internet, cable and phone services.
How fast is Frontier internet?
Frontier has high-speed internet as fast as 12 Mbps. This works well for most homes and small businesses. Vantage by Frontier reaches 200 Mbps in some areas, and FiOS is as fast as 1 Gbps. This is better for those needing much faster internet for gaming or streaming on multiple devices.
What channels are included in Frontier packages?
Channels vary based on package, but customers can access news, sports and lifestyle channels plus on-demand movies and international channels.

Is Frontier Communications good?

Frontier Communications has had issues in the past with delivering reliable service. The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in April 2020, but it continues to offer service to customers. Some reviews mention being satisfied with Frontier Communications services. If the pricing and services offered seem fair to you, Frontier Communications is worth considering.

Frontier Communications Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I had Frontier internet a little less than 6 weeks. That's all I could take. Gaming was pretty much impossible, connection dropping every 10 minutes or so. I contacted Frontier 3 days after installation due to internet dropping. Was assured there was a line break. This continued for the next month. Internet down, contact Frontier, get an excuse. The final straw was a 5 day outage, over my bi-weekly weekend off. I pay for Playstation Plus, I pay for an online game. No playing. No streaming. For 5 days straight, and a different excuse from everyone I talked.

A technician visit was scheduled, I was warned I may be charged for it. This was after 5 weeks of Frontier. As if by magic my internet reconnected on day 5. Then I was done. I paid over $150 to have this garbage internet put in, and a ten dollar disconnect fee. And I've been billed for an entire other month, even though I had the service for less than 6 weeks. This internet was down as much as it was up. Please save yourself the aggravation and stay away from Frontier!

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Jennifer. We apologize for the connectivity issues that you had with the service. We understand how important it is to have a stable connection and to resolve any issues that you're experiencing. Our Social Media team is available to look into your concern. Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We're available 24/7. -AT

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I hateeee this company. Literally the worst in the world. Directly asked them about programs, incentives, etc. for low income individuals. They tell me there are none. I find out later about the government ACP program, which entitled us to a waived installation fee and money off our bill every month and Frontier is a provider under this gov program. Only 4 days after having his cable installed, my father passed away. We called and immediately cancelled the service since it was for him and we were assured there would be no balance nor charges due and the installation fee would be waive (which we were fighting to have waived since he was eligible for the gov assistance program anyway). I also returned my equipment and they confirmed receipt. Didn’t hear from them after they.

Now 4 months later, I get notice from my bank of a new collections account for $140. Guess who from? FRONTIER! Saying I owed them money for the installation fee which was supposed to be waived in 2 cases! They did not contact me about owing anything not one time. No calls, no emails, no mail. NOTHING! Just sent a bill that didn’t exist to collections and now it’s on my credit while I’m self employed and trying to buy a house. WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Marshaé. We apologize if you were not provided information about the ACP when you initially signed up for service. Information about discount programs can be found on our website: https://frontier.com/resources/discount-programs. Our Social Media team is available to look into your billing issues if they're still not resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We're available 24/7. -AT

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have had Frontier for many many years and being a loyal customer. Months ago I notice that my internet bill was so high and I called customer service and they said my phone line for the internet has been used for long distance call (calls to New York from California) and billed me more than $800. Thought my 5 year old has been messing with the phone because that would be an only way coz why would someone sane would make phone calls like that. After making million phone calls talking to many many agents, repeating the same story over and over again every time I was told that the phone line will be added and just pay $344 and your account will be current and back to normal. So I was so tired of it and paid it. They were supposed to give me an explanation on it within 72 hours. Of course no one call back.

Now again they have added $508 from a phone call made in April and I was on the phone for 2 hours and 35 minutes trying to solve this problem. Answer from the supervisor is “sorry we can’t do anything about it. There was a billing issue. You will have to pay it. And there is no one else to talk to and no other solution other than paying". This is just ridiculous. Worst customer service ever. The most frustrating part is there is no one there to help. This is my first time writing a review and I hate complaining. But this is a very unfortunate situation a larger company like this has zero customer service.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Roshini. We apologize for the issues that you're having with your bill. We understand where you're coming from, as we value transparency. Our Social Media team is available to help and look into what happened. You can contact us by sending a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We're available 24/7. -AT

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

We switched our internet to Frontier Fiber on July 24th. The Frontier tech said another team would be at the house in 3-4 days to bury the line (which is lying across the front yard). After a week, we checked back with the tech that did the installation and he said the ticket he entered had been deleted so he opened another one. On August 8th, the line was still not buried. Called customer service, they had no record of any ticket for us. I was told one was being created now and another tech would have to come back out to the house to do a site survey before the ticket could be handed over to the 3rd party who would do the burial. I called back later that week and confirmed this had been done and the scheduled date for burial was the 19th. No one came. I called back on the 20th and was told the vendor just got behind and they would be onsite Monday the 22nd. No one came.

I called back on the 23rd. The customer service agent was surprised this had not been completed on the 19th as the ticket order stated, said we needed to get this resolved as exposed fiber in the yard would be a safety risk. After holding for several minutes, I was then told by the same agent that they are behind and can offer no date, just whenever they are able to get to it. Could be tomorrow, could be 5 weeks from now, just indefinitely, and there was nothing else they could do about it, and I was supposed to be fine with that. One month now with fiber stretched across the front yard and no time frame as to how long it will be like this. No other option for a different vendor for Frontier to partner with, just keep selling the service with false commitments, and sending more tickets to a vendor that has no plans to complete them apparently. Asked to speak to a manager, I was told they would just tell me the same thing and refused to pass my call to them.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Tammie. We apologize if your appointment to bury the line keeps getting delayed. We certainly want to keep our commitments to our customers and show up for appointments as scheduled. Our Social Media team is available and willing to help look into your ticket. Please send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We are available 24/7. -AT

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

After Frontier's fiber optic internet service is out, 2 days and counting, it has taken 2 days for Frontier to put a notice on the phone number you call to say that the service is out and they don't know when it will be fixed. No estimate!!?? Frontier's fiber optic service for the entire state of California is down. No public announcement about when it is expected to be repaired, doing everything we can to repair it, thank you, customers, for being so patient. NOTHING!

Frontier's customer focus makes Comcast - number 1 in the nation for bad customer service - look like they are on training wheels to be bad. While calling to speak with a representative, their system said I don't have an account because it did not recognize my phone number. Their system only recognizes a VOIP phone number bought through Frontier. Any other phone number is just not your phone number. The system asks if you would rather have a call back. I agreed. That put me in the endless looping "would you like a call back" request mode, so I eventually just hung up.

I called back and finally got through to a very nice CS agent and asked how I could file a complaint. He promptly transferred me to customer service - which is closed for the weekend and all state wide system failures. We have a home based business and rely on good internet service. There are very limited choices so companies like Frontier and Xfinity (Comcast changed their name since it had such bad customer recognition) are able to get away with extremely poor performance. I am looking forward to Musk's satellite based system. Whoever is in charge of customer relationships and customer service at Frontier - better freshen up your resume and try to hide your responsibility for these failed programs.

Frontier Communications response

We deeply apologize for the downtime, Gilbert. Please know that it is never our intention to put you through this. Service outages like this are mostly due to unforeseen circumstances that we never intended to happen. Our Social Media Team would like to look into this and provide you with updates regarding the ongoing outage. You can reach out to us on on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier), so we can ask for your information. -Marie

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

We stayed home to wait, both of us, from 8 AM to 12. At 11 AM they sent us a text saying they closed the ticket because we weren't there even though we were. There were actually three of us here and always near the door. After calling them to complain they said they'd send someone later in the day. When I called yet again at 4:45 they said, "No, sorry, the service technicians only work until 5 PM." Just a run around from start to finish. So far, to try to get them to provide what they are taking our money for, I've lost one of my days, my wife's day, and about three hours on the phone. What a joke. I will be looking into other providers tomorrow.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, we apologize for the inconvenience the missed appointment has caused you. We're saddened to know that you're considering other providers because of this issue. Please contact our Social Media team, so we can look into your ticket. Send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We're available 24/7. -AT

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I use Frontier internet as it is my only option in my area other than satellite. I want to tell share my experience with anyone who is considering using them. I had an outage on July 8th or 9th 2022 which was caused by a storm. I chatted with their tech support on my cell phone for 45 minutes while we went through all the troubleshooting steps. They determined they needed to send a tech, they scheduled the tech for July 28th, yes that is 20 days later... Unknown to me, they moved my ticket to completed on the 16th of July and never told me and the technician never showed up on the 28th. I chatted with them again today, they couldn't find my ticket so we went through all the troubleshooting steps again to be told they would have to send a tech again and it would be on August 30th, yes that is 20 days away AGAIN.

I didn't like this response so I called into tech support and explained the situation to Nathan who agreed with me that this is too long to wait for the issue to be resolved but he couldn't do anything about it. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told one would call me back within the hour. I am not very confident this will happen or if I will get any resolution to this matter. If you are thinking about Frontier internet, remember everything is great when it works but the true medal of a company is what happens when the client needs help. Signed... waiting for Starlink internet.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Joseph. We apologize for the delay in repairing your service. We certainly want to keep our commitments to our customers and show up for appointments as scheduled. Our Social Media team is available to check on your ticket. Please send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We are available 24/7. -AT

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Updated on 08/22/2022: (a One Star rating is at least One too many!!) 1) 7/25/22 Services Cancelled. 2) 8/8/22 found "Final Billing" charged to Credit card. Called and was explained due to the billing cycles this was correct - No proration and informed an extra $10 was included as a Disconnect Fee. 3) 8/22/22 received a new bill in the mail for $30.75 due on 9/06/22 - I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Original Review: Where we live, AT&T was selected in 2013 for their services and channels available. Once AT&T was moved to Frontier it was downhill from there. Increased pricing while eliminated channels, decreased quality and low reliability forced a change on 7/25/22. To add insult to injury - the company does not prorate your last bill and then they charge you a final $10 to disconnect your service!!! I just found today two additional items that indicates to me a Profits 1st/Customer 2nd mentality. In my opinion - Very Sad!! Stay Well - Stay Safe.

Frontier Communications response

We understand your sentiments, Bill. However, the $10 disconnection fee is a valid charge. But, we can still review your account for further assistance. You can utilize our live chat option through this link: https://frontier.com/contactus/contact-us#/residential or call us directly at 1.800.921.8101. Thank you. -Marie

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I have had Frontier service for years. About a year ago they increased the rate on my service without notifying me and switched me to paperless billing without my request to do so. Despite my requests to receive a bill, they never changed it and never even sent me an electronic bill. So I continued to send in the payment I had always been paying every month. After a year they had a collector call me to demand payment for the difference in what they increased it to and what I had been paying, plus a slew of late charges.

I spend several hours on the phone over a few phone calls trying to find out how this is possible only to be shut down every time with the answer that it is my fault for not keeping track of the payments. Well, they never notified me of anything until a year had passed and requests to receive paper statements went unanswered. This is absolutely the worst customer service and I think what they have done is actually criminal. If you choose to do business with this company, I highly suggest that you watch your back because they do not care one once about their customers.

Frontier Communications response

We apologize for the negative experience, James. This is not the kind of experience we want you to have with us. To avoid any issues with your bill, you can access your bill through your online account through this link: https://frontier.com/login. However, regarding your concern, you can message our Social Media Team directly on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier) for further assistance. -Marie

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I had decided to discontinue my Frontier cable due to extreme price increase. They only care about their new people, no loyalty. I paid till 7/1 and cancelled 7/5 and was then bill for the entire month. Was told that is normal. Who pays for service that they don't have. I told them I would pay for the 4 days and the 10$ disconnect fee, but that was not $181+. NEVER use this company, total thieves.

Frontier Communications response

Our apologies for the inconvenience this billing issue has caused you, Alice. Here's a helpful link on what to expect when you decide to disconnect your service: https://frontier.com/helpcenter/topics/billing-faqs?icid=22apr25_national_helpcenter_billing_faqs_banner. However, you may also reach out to our Social Media Team for further assistance. Just send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). -Marie

Frontier Communications Company Information