1.24/5
Based on 667 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications Corporation provides communications services for residential and business customers in the United States. The company offers local and long distance voice services, including basic telephone wireline services to residential and business customers; and packages of communications services. It also provides data and Internet services comprising residential services, such as high-speed Internet, dial up Internet, portal and e-mail products, and hard drive back-up services; commercial services, such as Ethernet, dedicated Internet, multiprotocol label switching, and TDM data transport services; and wireless data services.

In addition, the company offers switched access services that allow other carriers to use the facilities to originate and terminate their local and long distance voice and data traffic; and direct broadcast satellite services and fiber optic video services. Further, it sells a range of third-party telecommunications equipment for business customers.

View More View More

4029 Frontier Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We had a complete bundle with Frontier (voice, TV, Internet) with Frontier and their predecessor Verizon for over a decade. On June 13th, 2018 (the last day of my cycle), Frontier had an equipment failure with the box outside my house. I alerted their customer service that day and was told it would be 7 days before they could address it. However I was not contacted by Frontier until the 22nd that a serve person would come the next day (Sat, June 23rd).

Now my wife and I are both virtual employees so this created a lot of issues for us both, including potential loss of income. So we had no choice but to see if a competitor could fill the gap quicker (Spectrum had us up and running on the second day). However, because we wanted to port our number, Spectrum couldn't give the order to Frontier until Monday, June 18th. Despite the fact that I never had another second of service from Frontier after the 13th, Frontier contends that I owe them another full cycle since the actual termination for the number port was the 18th. They have also hit me for an early termination fee (I was one month short of that commitment so I don't contest that). However, I feel that they should not have billed me for another cycle since they knew of their issue on the last day of the prior cycle. Their customer service people contend they are in the right and so I intend to contest this with their legal department.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I own a restaurant and we have had no internet or phone for 5 days. I opened ticket and they have not picked it up yet. They told me they don't have the manpower to handle requests when the service is down. It’s the 5th day of outage and still waiting... Please think about before getting into Frontier service if you have a small business even if they gave you a free line.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Been with them for a little over a year and they are giving me internet speeds that are very close to dial up. I've contacted them multiple times and have been told that they are doing upgrades. Well that's what they been telling the customers here for the last six years and nothing has happened. Outdated systems and piss poor customer service. Over the worst company I've dealt with in my life.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We have had an immense amount of trouble with Frontier Communications. First, we will spend at least 30 minutes on hold. Once we finally reach an actual person, we will be told, "Oh, that's not us, that's the internet provider," When we get through holding for the internet providers, we will be told, "Oh no, that's the T.V. service. Since Verizon and Dish came together with Frontier Communications, it's been a nightmare. For the first 3-4 months, our bill would be incorrect, and it would take a ridiculous amount of time to get corrected. We have finally switched services even though we will be paying more with the new providers. We just received two boxes to send back our equipment, and neither box actually fits Frontier's equipment. I feel like if they don't care about their equipment, why should I? These providers are not at all worth the possibly cheaper services.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They are rude, not helpful, and give you different information every time you call. When we set up service in our new house it took longer than buying the house!!! I wish they weren't the only option where I live. Worst company ever!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Communications?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Horrible company, installation was a day late with no explanation why, 4 hours lost work because I had to go home early to meet the installation tech that never showed. Next appointment he showed up 4 hours later than promised, so wasted a whole Saturday sitting home waiting for the tech to arrive and finally do the install. The plan was at $80 per month with free TV box and modem, but when I got the bill they are charging me $135 a month! And when I contacted them to cancel, they are charging $220 fee to terminate the service! Stay away from those thieves!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I experienced similar experiences as many here with Frontier. Please know the ONLY way to get them to fix a problem is to contact your state AG's office, and the Federal Trade Commission. If they don't respond they may have a state or Federal investigation opened on their company, especially if there are a number of complaints. In our state Frontier was so bad that the AG's office had a special hotline to deal with all the complaints. I urge everyone to do this as it is the only way Frontier will straighten up their mess.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

For the record, my experience with Frontier is by far the worst customer service I have EVER received. For the second time I took an afternoon off of work to accommodate a 4 hour installation window for a Frontier Technician to install internet. For the second time the technician not only didn't show up at all but no one called or attempted to reschedule the appointment. When I called on Friday to find out if they were coming - I was understandably annoyed and frustrated. Frontier customer service offered very little in the way of apology and absolutely NOTHING in the way of remedy other than me taking another day off work for an appointment they may or may not show up for. I would like to say that I put my order in a month ago and I waited patiently for the dates provided for install and through no fault of mine Frontier did not deliver but I now have to wait another 2 weeks for another appointment.

Remedy I asked for: Either set a window that has a start of 330pm on a weekday or Saturday. I was told that was simply not possible and that I would to set another window appt as if Frontier hadn't screwed up the last two appointments already. I spent over an hour - mostly on hold - for a question that should have been very simple to work out. I feel like Frontier doesn't give a seconds thought to their customers or to providing any kind of cooperation to get service installed. If there were any other reasonable option for service I would go there instead but there isn't. As of now I have an appointment AGAIN for 8/24 at 8 am. I give you the opportunity to correct the wrong that has been done and work out an install date that can be accomplished sooner and within the parameters of 3:30 pm or after on a weekday or on a Saturday.

The latest reply from Frontier is that there is now a freeze on installs because the techs are just too busy to keep their appointments. I work for a customer service business and I can tell you that we do not ever treat clients this way - if we screw up we pay overtime or whatever it takes to accommodate our clients and correct mistakes. I asked for a manager's name and the customer service tech put me on hold for a very long time which I can only assume was an attempt to get me to hang up and give up. He never actually gave me anyone's name but promised an email from his boss - to date no email has been received. No phone call has been received. I seriously doubt anyone will contact me. My overall experience is that I was put on hold because I was upset and left there. I didn't yell or swear - I simply requested the service I was promised. Actively seeking mobile hotspot or any other service beside Frontier.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have used various internet providers and to say Frontier is the shadiest of the bunch is an understatement. First of all, my sales rep straight up lied to me. $40 a month for 150 Mbps internet, no router fee (because I use my own) and no installation fee, sounded amazing when I was paying $60 a month for 50 Mbps at the time. Sadly none of the promises panned out, but that's not the worst part. Initially I was set up with an installation appointment on a Saturday afternoon. Great, couldn't wait for faster internet. But on that day, no one came, no phone calls either. I called Frontier frustrated and confused because I just wasted a perfect Saturday waiting at home, and they told me they had technical difficulty reaching the technician, but they set me up with another installation the next Saturday. So a week later, I sat in my home bored out of my mind for 5 hours, again, nobody showed up, no phone call, and same excuse.

This went on for a third and a fourth time, and finally someone showed up to my door 5 hours after the appointment time, tried but couldn't finish the installation so he said he'd come back next business day to finish, and put me on a temporary solution to connect to internet. Great, finally after a month I have internet ---not. He never came back to finish his work, the next appointment is again, no-show; two days after the missed appointment, some technician showed up unexpectedly, couldn't figure out what to do, and left. At this point my internet had stopped working, the Frontier technical support has no idea what to do, whatever they installed was not in their database and their next available technician is next week. That's when I decided that it is not worth the hassle to save a few bucks and went back to Spectrum --- a Spectrum technician came the next day (a Sunday), on time and got my internet working in an hour.

And just I thought I'm finally free from the terrible service of Frontier, they sent me a bill of $83.39. $40 for monthly service, $25 for installation (the first of 3 installment) and a slap on the face, $5 router fee, plus tax and "equipment transportation fee". On my 6 figure income this is but a trivial amount of money and I was tempted to just pay and get over it, but every time I see the bill I was reminded of this terrible experience they put me through, the disappointment and frustration, so once again I picked up the phone to dispute the charges, and sure enough, they have no record of "free installation" or any of the complaints I've made.

Well played, Frontier, but I have not yet begun to fight. Your consistent failure and lies have invoked the wrath of a petty individual with nothing better to do. For the $83.39 you wrongfully charged me, I will make it my mission in life to write negative reviews, complain, downvote, dislike until I see you fall, and I pray to God for that day to come.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I see I am one of the many clients that have fraudulent charges on their account. I have contacted FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS on more than (2) occasions now to inform them that I am being billed for service at a location that I no longer live at & that my services were paid IN FULL before I moved on June 9th,2018. I am being billed now & illegally threatened of legal action against me for services 6/7/9/18-7/9/18. The threat is that they will report to credit agencies to ruin my impeccable well earned good credit. Can someone let me know if any class action suits are pending with FRONTIER as I would like to take part.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Tried to get a replacement remote for really old one that no longer functions properly - only cable company I know that charges - and it's a whopping $20 - for replacement remote. This took 45 minutes of my day as I was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Support and back again and then was hung up on. It's my mother's service, but if it were mine, I would CANCEL immediately!! She's been a customer for years who pays on time, but clearly customer loyalty doesn't matter to Frontier.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Advice to anyone considering doing business with Frontier Communications: Take thousands of dollars and tear them into small pieces. Throw the pieces into a busy intersection and lie down on them. This would be less painful than dealing with this company! To say Frontier Communications is the absolute worst company that we have ever dealt with is an understatement. There is not a word in the English language or any language for that matter that can accurately state what a disaster this company is.

The number of issues we have had with losing our phone service are far too many to list. Apparently, Frontier thinks so too. When I tried to obtain a list of service tickets we’ve had with them, they were only able to provide 3 – a laughable number considering we’ve had that many in last 2 weeks alone! There is not even a record of the 5 days we had NO PHONES. 5 DAYS! To give a detailed account of each interaction I have had would not only be too long for anyone to read, it would also be impossible to believe. I would be happy to provide examples if requested such as my conversation this morning with their technical support department when our call was dropped while being told there were not an issue to report. At least that’s what I’m told I was being explained since I couldn’t hear anything through all of the static. They considered this a closed ticket.

Let me explain what that means to a small business like ours. 5 days without phones means 2,430 calls that we would have normally handled were missed. 2,430! There are an average of over 400 calls that go in and out of our office a day. 400 calls that are not only our livelihood, but 400 customer commitments to do our job. You don’t become a top 50 State Farm agent (out of 18, 000) by breaking commitments. That kind of success is based on providing customer service and benefits not found elsewhere – something our customers rely on. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to deal with a company like Frontier that prevents us from doing our job because they don’t know how to do theirs? It is inexcusable.

The incompetence that I have experienced in most all interactions is astonishing. Like clockwork, I know the wrong tech will be sent out each and every time no matter how much I emphasize the type of system we have; there will be an issue with forwarding calls and require 3-4 calls. Every time. To pay over $1000 a month for the worst phone and customer service on the planet is absurd. To learn that not only you are paying for all of the times we were without service (including the 5 full days!) we have also been overbilled more than $5,500 for the past 2 years. Which is less than the $6000 Frontier plans to charge us for terminating our services! I have provided documents dating back to 2016 to have this corrected. The last response I had was August 1, 2018 stating it was being looked at. That makes it 2 years and a week.

I sincerely feel pity for the field employees of Frontier. Frontier’s executives should be ashamed to burden their employees with have to face their customers. The last tech we had was mortified at how his own call center partners were not only talking to him, but to me as the customer. This letter is not intended to correct what cannot be fixed, or to express expectations for a resolution. The only expectations I have from Frontier is that we will not have working phones at some point between now and August 21st when Spectrum installs our new phone lines. I am simply informing those that currently have Frontier or are considering Frontier that you are better off throwing away your money while getting hit by car.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Internet had severe lag and would go out periodically. 1st technician ended the lengthy call without resolution. 2nd call into technical support. I was on the phone for over an hour while they troubleshooted, at the end of the call they determined it was a faulty router and they would send a replacement and it would arrive in one day. 8 days later I had not received the replacement router.

3rd call (today) to technical support - held 10 min. then on the phone with a technician that wanted to troubleshoot all over again... for those additional 10 min. I told her that I didn't. This had already been completed for over an hour and on two occasions, that I was just calling to follow up on why the router had not been sent yet. She ignored my question and proceeded to troubleshoot...this went on back and forth for the 10 minutes even after I asked to escalate the call. She asked me another question and I told her that I wasn't answering any more questions until she escalates the call.

I held for some time for the person to whom the call was escalated. He told me that the router was not sent because after they reviewed what the technician wrote - they decided it was not the router. No one called me to tell me they were not sending the router, No one called me to further discuss what another solution could be. They just ignored the issue, just like they ignored me when I asked to escalate the call.

When I asked him what are the possible solutions, he didn't have an answer and decided to schedule a technician to come to my location. He also commented that the 2nd technician didn't make hardly any notes as to all the troubleshooting that was completed during that 1+ conversation and the person never even wrote a ticket about the call! Not resolution oriented, ignored me, careless and negligent about their "note taking" during technical assistance. We'll see see how the appointment goes with the technician at the residence - if they can discover the problem and correct it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I would like to start with the hold time on the phone to speak to a live person with either company is horrific! I even tried to press the button for new accounts which was answered right away! Until I told them I wanted to speak to a supervisor then was transferred back into oblivion! I have been disputing a bill since May! I have called several times and still has not been corrected. I have been lied to, stating my balance was cleared for all the times I called and asked to straighten things out.

I was told that it was the other company's fault. (Even though they send the one bill from both companies but you have to call and speak to each one separately.) I even had Frontier speaking to DISH while I was holding on the other line! I love the creative billing too! You have your Basic Charges. Your Non Basic Charges. DISH Network. Toll/Other. What is that supposed to be! So I made my last call to let them know I was sending all this information to the BBB, I did not realize there was already a mountain of complaints. I just want the consumer to be aware. Thank you. :)

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

It seems to be an odd thing to have to complain about but back in June I called to pay the account for an elderly member and after having paid it I failed to receive the receipt. Two months later after disputing on his credit report Frontier is saying the balance is still owed but then retracted and said it was odd that I called back for the receipt from the payment. I resist all urge at sarcasm here. It took hours on the phone and multiple managers to get them to pull the call recordings to verify the payment made, the verification code, and see where they misapplied the money to. This will take days. The lack of company responsibility to adequately problem solve is appalling. This should have been much simpler, less time consuming and done with the integrity of a cognitively capable adult trained to problem solve efficiently. A fifth grader could have done better reasoning skills than what was presented today. Level up Frontier.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Over the last three years, we have experienced ongoing service outages w/ Frontier, w/ the service rarely working at the advertised speeds. We have called tech support multiple times to resolve these problems and communicate the problems around service outages, why the second router Frontier has provided having to be constantly rebooted (as in 3-5 times a week), all to no avail. The service goes down randomly w/ no explanation (it will completely crash a dozen times a day and then come back on after an outage that can last 30 seconds to 15 minutes). We have had Frontier techs out to the house multiple times, all to no avail.

The service is not stable, and does not perform according to what Frontier advertises. Over 11 days ago (7/29) we experienced an outage, and as of today (8/7) we still do not have service. We were told Tuesday Frontier would have a technician out to service this on Wednesday (8/1), the same on Tuesday August 7th, but after multiple phone calls no one showed up and no one bothered to call us w/ an update, leaving us w/o internet and lost work time waiting for someone to show up. I have spent hours on the phone w/ Frontier's customer service since the outage, they have committed multiple times to call me with an update and have NEVER called or texted to update.

We work from home, and this has had significant negative impact on our ability to get work done. Frontier's customer service has been unwilling or unable to escalate this situation. They are selling a service that is not delivering the speeds it promises, the service is not stable and continues to crash, and their customer service is both making inaccurate commitments as to dates and is not bothering to call or text me - as they promised to - with updates.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was a 4 year customer, starting with Verizon. I had a DVD go bad. They sent a new one, (I returned the old one) promised me a credit for the two weeks, but then the credit was denied because of poor records, even though it showed they sent me new equipment. No chance to appeal or talk to a supervisor. So I decided to discontinue service, now they owe me credit for the balance of the month and they have sent me a bill for the next month. What a racket... No wonder they are in financial trouble. I planned to start up again in January, but no way. Customer retention seem to be a low priority. I have received a notice to return my equipment, even though Anthony who stopped service said it was used equipment and not to return it. I was promised another bill if I keep it. They will get it when I get my credit. Dug in.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We live in a semi-rural area and our internet service has always been terrible; frequently goes out, so very sloooow and downloads are torture. We, along with many neighboring households, have complained and asked if anything could be done to increase our speed. We've been told that we could have faster internet immediately if a new switch was installed. Management refuses to install a new switch. Why? Unfortunately where we live Frontier is our only choice for internet. Not hard to see why they won't install a new switch. They have us and they know it. So frustrating and completely unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

July 2nd, 2018 I was driving on Hwy #776 Englewood Fl. I had a Frontier repair truck driving terrible. He was no more than 6-7 foot off my bumper. I was driving 54 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was blinking his lights moving his hands to get over. There was another car right to my right. As I passed that car the service truck passed me on the right and fingered me. I don't think you want me or anyone else to perceive your company with this sort of actions. It was approx. 10:50 AM. Caught up to him at the traffic light. Snapped a picture. I would think maybe he needed a safe driving class or hard speaking to but next time I see this I will head right to the police dept. and show the picture of the truck involved.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This is the worst I repeat worst customer service I have ever had. It took me 3 months to try and get my internet set up from the time I first called to me cancel them. I never got to use the service. I don’t even know how the service is. The first appointment the guy never showed up. The next appointment a week later the guy showed up and left sayings nothing. I had to call them to find out I couldn’t get what I sign up for. Then a week later a guy came and turned something on without coming into my house. Had to call again to get the equipment. Was told it was being mailed today. Never got it so called again and it was mailed regular mail. Would have to wait another week.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My mother, who is in her 90s, got her Frontier bill yesterday, with an increase of $29, saying it was for some HD something. She has no HD channels. She was upset, and called into customer service, waiting for over an hour. The customer rep said that her credit had expired. No notice, no warning, nothing in the bill indicating why the bill was increased. The rep said she found a package for her. Mom had told her she wanted sports channels, cable news channels, shopping, cooking, game show. Within about 15 minutes, Mom only had shopping and local channels. She called back to the rep, who said to call back by 11 p.m., got a different rep who said she'd have to wait 24 hours now. I had an elderly woman crying to me late last night.

I posted it on their Facebook page, was told to contact them via PM, so I did. It's been piecemeal communications - I need her account number or birthdate. I was told I had her birthdate wrong. Uh, no, you clowns must have it wrong. This was while I tried to work at my job today (which I couldn't monitor personal email and do a good job with my work, something they're not familiar with). She's still very upset. I guess the only plus is that they've not turned off her phone - yet. Supposedly this dingdong with their social media accounts is going to fix it. I have my doubts. I have DirecTV, and other than weather interruptions, I've not encountered crap like this with them. When I've had problems, I can go to their forums or chat immediately with a tech who helps. I keep telling Mom to switch, but her only choice really is Comcast, who she says is just as bad.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This company is the worst at communication amongst its own staff even though it claims to be a "Communications" company. Never in my life had I had to battle so hard to have a bill explained and reassured multiple times that it had been scuttled. It wasn't until my 6th phone call and numerous promises that my bill had been settled that I finally received a Collections notice from a collections agency that I finally succumbed and paid the bill to avoid it going on my Credit report. This company is full of complacent liars and absolutely terrible customer service as well as promised service being provided.

I acquired service from Frontier for basic DSL Internet, but instead was signed up for bundled service even after I repeatedly refused the bundle package. Once service had been connected I checked my internet speed and it was extremely under what was promised for the speed I was purchasing. After speaking with a technician I was notified that the company was unable to provide with the speed that I had been paying for due lack of infrastructure in my area. I understood and rightfully declined further service after 24 hours of having service provided. I called Customer Service to cancel the service due to the lack of ability to serve me and my needs that I had purchased. I was assured that I would not be billed for the 48 hours of service and that service would be cut immediately.

The following week I received a bill that I was promised wouldn't be charged. I called Customer service another 6 times to scuttle the bill and each time I was assured by the Representative that the account had been closed and no bill would be seen. Well that was a huge lie to my face, and after continuous complaints and pleading to speak with Management I was told that I had to pay it or it would be sent to collections.

The Customer service agent was named Dillon and he told me per his Supervisor named Matt ** that I had to pay it as it is not in Frontier's interest to take care of their customers, and it is against their policy to remove accounts. I will be sure to report them to the BBB, and will continuously encourage other potential customers to avoid ever doing business with Frontier Communications!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I wanted to disconnect landline and increase speed. Did so happily on Friday and gave them a positive review when survey came. Saturday. My son finds out our internet wasn't increased to the amount they said they'd provide and I was paying for. Leave a message for the consultant no answer. Monday, leave a message, no answer. Call another rep. after 10 minutes, get disconnected. I gave my phone number, they don't give their's if you're downgrading. Call another rep. Ask for their number (won't give theirs), can't give me the service I used to have because I was grandfathered in. We're talking now a difference of $10/month.

Why pay for 50/50 speed from a business day ago when I'm not even getting 10? Ask for a supervisor. Disconnected. They don't call back. Call again and explain everything, I'm sent right to "retention" and that guy can't do anything. I'm like you need to train your salespeople better --so they mention frontier can't guarantee the speed unless it's hardwired vs wifi- and then trap you into a higher contract.

Also, the poor guy in retention had me on the phone for 47 minutes trying to rebundle me to get me back to the $10/month I was paying 1 business day ago. AND he couldn't find a way. All this time, my son was on with SPECTRUM. They could offer me 100/100 and hardwire computer (we'd relocate), plus same channels, and DODGER games. Frontier lost a customer over $10/month and their mishandling/--but they don't care. I'm sure it's the company policy and not the people.

BUT, get this-- when I had the positive experience on Friday, I was given the survey to complete. When, I had the bad experience yesterday, I was never given the survey to complete. So, Frontier misguides its people, because they're only issuing the survey to those they select. Hopefully better treatment from Spectrum. We shall see.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I signed up for them because I was told that they owned the phone number I needed for my business. I found out later that they lied to me. I signed up for a 2 year contract. When it was up I switched to someone else. A month later I received a $3600 bill from Frontier. When I inquired I was told that because I did not send them a notice that I was canceling the account it automatically renewed and that I owed a $3000 early termination fee. I could not pay it so I was told that in order to not pay the fee I had to resign up for Frontier and pay all the fees like I was a new business customer which was around $600. If that was not enough, I was still getting $3000 bills for 3 or 4 months and I had to call and spend hours on the phone explaining each and every time.

Now I just tried to pay my bill online and the site is down. I called them and was told that I could pay over the phone but that there was a $3.50 fee. I told them that it was not my fault that their site was down and that I needed to pay it or I would be late. Did not matter to them. Either I pay it over the phone or incur a late fee. There were many more issue but I don't have time to get into it. These people are the rudest I've ever came across. BUYER BEWARE.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2018

Maybe I just missed it but it would be nice to be able to post a Google review rather than here. More visibility. But either way these are more of a tool to vent rather than having any expectations that something will change. I just opened my second account with Frontier. I won't go into details because it is irrelevant. But when I called to begin service I was given an install date that was about 14 days out. Pretty much everything I do requires me having an internet connection and I also work from home so this was a big deal. But I dealt with it. On the day of the installation I had been given an appointment time frame of 9 am to 1 pm. I know this simply meant the technician could be at my home any time during that time frame. However, at about 12:58 pm he called saying he was going to be 45 min to an hour late. So I waited and waited. Just before 3 pm he knocked on my door. He was nice enough but offered no apology whatsoever for being late.

The "installation" consisted of plugging my router into the wall and then making a 5 min phone call to turn the internet and phone service on. All together the technician was at my home for about 15 min and about 10 min of that was just small talk. When I got my bill about a week later I was happy to see that they did not charge an installation fee as promised but they did charge a $3 VoIP Administrative Fee and a $10 Equipment Delivery and Handling Fee. The Equipment Delivery and Handling Fee was for the technician to transport the router to my home.

I chatted with a Frontier rep later about this and their explanation was that they were basically passing along their shipping charge to the customer. I didn't ask about the VoIP fee but my guess is that it was basically the phone call the technician made to his home office in order to have the service turned on. I tried to state my case as to how these kind of fees are unfair to the customer and at the very least new customers should be made aware of the fees prior to signing up for service. But all I got was an "I'm sorry" but it was obvious the rep didn't care. I realize these sorts of practices aren't new and are ubiquitous but it doesn't make it right. But this is what happens when there is little competition in a particular market, especially in telecoms.

Updated on 08/03/2018: I was hoping I could update my review or edit it in some way but I did not see an option for that so I am writing another review. I have now deducted another star. The reason for this is I received a response from a Frontier representative via this website asking me to email them directly at **. They wanted my account info which raised an alarm. In an attempt to summarize my interaction I never could get the Frontier rep to satisfactorily confirm they were a Frontier employee but I took a chance and offered my account number. I expressed skepticism to the rep as to how they would be able to resolve anything but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The final response from the rep (after some email exchanges) basically reiterated everything I had already covered in my initial review and repeated everything I already knew. I speculate that the representative from Frontier is tasked with combing through negative online reviews and then giving the impression they are resolving customer complaints without actually doing anything. I imagine that is one of the reasons the rep asked that I email them directly rather than handling the issue publicly.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This company is one piece of fraud. It’s been 3 months. I’m waiting for a tech to come out every 2 days. They give me a new date and when I call in one rep do not know what to do. It’s sounds like they all are their first day on their job there. I hope we get this company closed down ASAP. We need normal providers like Optimum, Verizon. Let’s hope that the state will close them down.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My neighbor almost 80 years old has been without her phone service for almost two weeks, I have lent her my cell phone as she cannot get out of her house and worried about an emergency. I have called Frontier every day and she has called with my cell phone. All we get is run around, they tell us someone will be there at a certain time and no one shows up or the supervisor will call you back and no one calls. This is the worst service. All we get is a runaround. Please can you get her phone to work. So fed up with this company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My current bill showed a late charge of $2.50 added. The due date won’t be until August 17, I called on July 26 to remove it. The representative was so rude and wouldn’t remove that $2.50. I have never encountered any utilities company like this. If I could give lower than 1 star I would.

Original review: July 26, 2018

DO NOT SIGN UP with this company. A month ago we had a couple of outside salesman knock on our door offering Frontier services. It was the worst decision made. The salesmen were very nice and friendly and assured us that we would love their service and if for any reason we unsatisfied we can cancel with no cancellation fee as long as we cancel within 30 days of installation and we would only be billed for the days we had the service for (Biggest lie ever). The technician arrive the following week to install the service, left halfway without saying a word, came back a few hours later to finish the installation and left again without a word which annoyed my husband. This was the start to an awful experience.

The internet service was slow, the TV froze halfway between shows, and then when you pick up the house phone to call someone you heard someone else on the line. We didn't care for the service and didn't want to deal hassle so we decided to cancel before the 30 days were up. When we called to cancel the CSR said that they have NO 30 day trial period and that we would have to pay for the cancellation fee and they don't offer pro-rated service so we would have to pay for the entire month even though we used the service for 15 days.

I told the representative that, that was not the information that was provided to me by the outside salesmen. I call the salesman and explained the situation to him and he said the CSR that by law we have a 30 day trial period with no cancellation fee in the state of California. Long story short I am stuck having to pay for unused service and the cancellation fee. There should be a class action suit against this company.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I took the time to create an account and do this review because I really feel this company has caused me so much frustration over the years and I need to vent. The only reason I am with them is lack of competition in my area. Hidden fees and complicated bills that take days on the phone to figure out. Customer support is horrible!!! Soooo frustrating. You get transferred so many times and disconnect with no callback. Customer service usually takes me several hours to days to resolve problems. If you can use a cell phone, do it and stay away from Frontier. There is feel better.

Not sure about Frontier Communications?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Satellite and Cable TV Providers for you.

Frontier Communications Company Information

CT
1-800-921-8101
www.frontier.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business