3.7/5 (1367 ratings)

About Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications® is a Fiber, Copper and Fixed-Wireless network provider that offers services in 25 states. Frontier offers customers unlimited tech support, a dependable connection for a monthly prices that’s been called the best value in Internet services. Visit its website to find out if its services are available in your state.

Pros

• Fiber optic internet
  • Variety of plans
  • Bundle options

Cons

• Limited nationwide service

Bottom Line

Frontier Communications has bundled internet, TV and phone options that work well for some people. It’s not available everywhere and reviews mention service issues, but some consumers report being satisfied with it.

Top Frontier Communications Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Frontier for years, and they have been almost the only option in my rural area ... I could not be happier with my service, and I have recommended them to several of my ...

Verified

My set top box locked up and I could not get it to reboot ... I called Frontier technical support and talked to Angela. She talked me through several steps ... She was polite and ...

What is Frontier Communications?

Frontier Communications is a wireless network provider that offers TV, phone and internet services. Like its competitors, Frontier has bundled services at a lower price than its standalone options. Internet options include traditional high-speed internet and fiber optic internet. Frontier Communications partners with DISH Network to offer DISH TV.

Frontier Communications price

Frontier Communications' plans and pricing vary based on location, but monthly costs for bundles typically start at $54.99 a month. Router services fees are an additional $10 a month. The table below features sample costs for plans based in Texas.

CostSpeed
FiOS 50/50 Internet + TV$54.9950 Mbps
FiOS 500/500 Internet + TV$64.99500 Mbps
FiOS 50/50 Internet, TV + home phone$64.9950 Mbps
FiOS 1G service + TV$99.99940 Mbps download, 880 Mbps upload

Frontier Internet plans

Frontier Communications has three internet options: traditional high-speed internet, FiOS and Vantage. Check what’s offered in your location; services vary by area. Standalone internet service costs $27.99 to $44.99 a month.

• High-speed internet: Although it’s called high-speed, this is the slowest internet option from Frontier. It works well for basic needs like checking email and browsing the web.
  • FiOS by Frontier: This fiber optic option from Frontier works well for gaming and streaming. It’s available in three different tiers: 50 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 940 Mbps. The 940 Mbps speed is only available with FiOS Gig Service.
  • Vantage by Frontier: Vantage has speeds that reach up to 200 Mbps in some areas. It’s best for multiple-device streaming, including 4K video, and fast downloads.

Frontier cable plans

At the time of publication, Frontier Communications mostly offered cable plans bundled with internet service, not as standalone options. Only the Dish TV plan is available for separate purchase.

• FiOS TV: Frontier Communications’ basic cable option includes sports channels, lifestyle channels, reality TV and on-demand movies. Bundles start at around $55 a month.
  • Vantage TV: Vantage TV is Frontier’s comprehensive option and has sports, news, movies, entertainment and international channels. Cable/internet bundles start at $82.99 a month.
  • Dish TV: Dish TV plans range from about $60 a month up to $95 a month. Basic plans have 120 channels. The comprehensive plan has 250 channels.

Frontier Communications FAQ

Is Frontier Communications available in my location?
Frontier Communications has service in Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
What services does Frontier Communications offer?
Frontier Communications has internet, cable and phone services.
How fast is Frontier internet?
Frontier has high-speed internet as fast as 12 Mbps. This works well for most homes and small businesses. Vantage by Frontier reaches 200 Mbps in some areas, and FiOS is as fast as 1 Gbps. This is better for those needing much faster internet for gaming or streaming on multiple devices.
What channels are included in Frontier packages?
Channels vary based on package, but customers can access news, sports and lifestyle channels plus on-demand movies and international channels.

Is Frontier Communications good?

Frontier Communications has had issues in the past with delivering reliable service. The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in April 2020, but it continues to offer service to customers. Some reviews mention being satisfied with Frontier Communications services. If the pricing and services offered seem fair to you, Frontier Communications is worth considering.

Frontier Communications Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Communications?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I had my Internet upgraded to fiber optics August 21,2021. The customer service department was cordial and patient with my questions. Options were explained and appointment made. As promised a phone call was made prior to arrival at my home. The service technician was polite, thorough and completed the work within the time limit he indicated it would take. Explained thoroughly upon completion. I could not be happier. Internet is fast…. And steaming movies is outstanding. Thanks Frontiers for living up to your commitment at my Home.

Robert **, Wallingford, Ct.

Frontier Communications response
Thanks so much for the kind words, Robert! We're happy to know that your upgrade went well. If you need any assistance in the future, please let us know and remember that we're not only available 24/7 by phone: 1-800-921-8101, we also offer help through our social media platforms. To reach us, simply use the direct message feature on our Twitter profile (https://twitter.com/askfrontier) or connect with us through Facebook messenger (http://m.me/frontiercorp).
Have a great day!

~Eva

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Like all cable providers, there are pros and cons. Frontier is my current provider inherited from Verizon when they sold off their cable division. For a brief period, I tried Spectrum and that did not work out. Back to Frontier. I have not experienced any on-going issues or unresolved problems with their customer service. I am not happy with the periodic increases in monthly charges and believe long time users and/or seniors should get more discounts than currently offered. Generally, I am satisfied with Frontier service.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I think Frontier is expensive for what we get. They need more bundle options. I would like to make my own choice in what is in the bundle. When we have weather the picture often is interrupted. Other than that the picture is really good.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Pro, reasonably priced in comparison to other providers. Con, frequent service outages, interruptions in my area. Overall better total quality for cost and channel package versus Xfinity and Spectrum in my area.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I just move in, it is very easy to hook up my devices, I work from home, like printer monitor and computer, it will be easy for you too.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I did transfer my service from old house to the new house and I have return the router. For some reason they charge me for two routers and my bill now double, same last month. I did call last month, whoever answered me said resolved and today I called again, inexperienced person answered, said same thing. That why I don’t like automatically payment. I am sure for next month will same. The best way to fix problem in my own just disconnected with Frontier to another company because they are same.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Was lied to by not 1 but 3 customer service technicians. In a nutshell my account was charged off after 3 days of being disconnected. Was told if I paid my bill and started a new service that I would have internet within "a little bit". Come to find out I would have to wait 24-48 hours. Not only did I not stress the fact that my funds were low and I needed to do a paper on my computer, also that if I did not receive internet the same that I would rather keep my funds and pay the bill on my next pay day (being that the account was already charged off). Needless to say no internet within a few hours, giving my information 1 million times to 1 million customer service techs... I decided to cancel my business entirely and take it else where. Internet is slow as molasses anyways!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I originally had Verizon Fios until they sold to Frontier. The prices continue to rise and sometimes by the month. Their customer service is so-so. There are times when you are doing something else (not in front of the TV) and the screen goes blank. Other issues are some times the screen goes blank and you have to reboot the entire system. I have lost the router IP address at least 2 times. You have to call customer services for them to reset the router. And you know that's a 45-50 minute call waiting to talk to a human.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Updated on 10/07/2021: Almost two weeks after my initial review on horrible service I have wasted additional hours of time! Corresponding with Frontier in order to solve any issue is infuriating!!! Check out the attachment of how you will be directed to links to purchase additional equipment in order to have proper service. They will also accuse you of being confused on your statement... They are so ridiculous they will force you to allow a technician to come out during a pandemic who does not even show up!

Original Review: I have experienced an outage at least four days a week for over two months. Frontier has told me it is my fault and that there is no issue. I have dealt with this for months and wasted hours and hours chatting. At one point I was in a chat until after 10 PM. It is absolutely awful. The first month I spoke with customer service and they gave me twenty dollars off my bill which is a joke. It has been much worse this month and all I get are daily texts "The issue I reported is part of a service outage." I have now gotten that same text for six days straight. Do yourself a favor and stay with your current provider.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

This has been, by far, the worst customer and technical service experience that I have ever encountered. I lost internet on 9/9/21 and 17 days later still continue to not have internet. I have called and chatted with technical and customer services every day since and have been told conflicting and false information, no one seems to know the answers to my questions related to the internet service issue, no one is being proactive about trying to resolve the issue, and as a business owner I continue to lose revenue because of this. I have to call every day to ask for an update and every time I call I end up requesting to speak to a supervisor because I can't get the answers I am looking for. Note that the internet outage was Not weather related. Frontier did not know what the issue was until 9/23/21 and still does not have the capability of correcting the issue.

Frontier Communications Company Information