1.19/5

Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications Corporation provides communications services for residential and business customers in the United States. The company offers local and long distance voice services, including basic telephone wireline services to residential and business customers; and packages of communications services. It also provides data and Internet services comprising residential services, such as high-speed Internet, dial up Internet, portal and e-mail products, and hard drive back-up services; commercial services, such as Ethernet, dedicated Internet, multiprotocol label switching, and TDM data transport services; and wireless data services.

In addition, the company offers switched access services that allow other carriers to use the facilities to originate and terminate their local and long distance voice and data traffic; and direct broadcast satellite services and fiber optic video services. Further, it sells a range of third-party telecommunications equipment for business customers.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4178 Frontier Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My phone and internet go down frequently. When I call repair to report the problem, I get the usual immediate response that if it my equipment, I have to pay for it. I have no problem with that. That is fair. The irritating part is that they always blame my equipment FIRST not their equipment. AND IT ALWAYS TURNS OUT TO BE THEIR EQUIPMENT. Then, to add to the frustration, the response time/appointment date that they give you to repair THEIR equipment is RIDICULOUS and totally UNACCEPTABLE. This time, I called on 11/13/2018 to report the problem and received an appointment date/repair date of 11/26/2018. To be without a phone for two weeks when living in an area that has very poor/no cell service is concerning to say the least. I explained my situation but that didn't matter. My neighbors complain about this horrible service also. If I could give their repair service less than one star, I would.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have used Frontier since I moved to the area (the next move I will make sure Frontier is not the ISP) and continually battle maintaining a stable internet connection. They have intentionally overloaded the pipes to the point where downloads are approximately .1MPBS and uploads are .07MPBS. It's pathetic, I honestly had faster internet when I was in Afghanistan. I didn't like the horribly slow downloads but they were super stable and you could play online games (like Diablo III) without being kicked. In four years, I don't know that I was ever kicked off the server by the Afghani ISP. Far different from the 3-6 disconnects I get each hour with Frontier. And what's sad. They don't care...they have no intention of increasing infrastructure (they have told me this directly) and have told me to simply find a time when it's less congested. They're absolutely the worst.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We live in rural Montana. Not in city limits. During July 2018, we noticed Frontier laying cable from town out towards where we live. I called the local office and asked if Frontier was bringing out internet service to our area. 3 weeks later a person from the local office called and told me. "I have no idea what they are doing". In September 2018, I saw a Frontier service person hooking up cable to a box near our home, I stopped and asked, “Will we be able to get internet.” He replied yes and I wrote down my phone number for him to give to the local Frontier office person. 3 weeks later a lady called on a cell phone and said she was from Frontier, she said in a few weeks a Frontier service person would contact me and see about digging a 1000ft ditch to our house, we had no idea if it would cost us or not at this time.

2 weeks later a Frontier service person came out to our house and looked at everything, then left. 1 week later the Frontier service person asked if they could start digging the 1000ft+ ditch, I asked, “Is it going to cost us?” He wasn't sure, he asked, “Have you heard from the office or anything in the mail from Frontier.” I said, “We haven't heard anything.” 1 week later, the Frontier service person told me, “It won't cost you anything.” I said OK. This was in October 2018, as of this time we have not heard anything from the local Frontier office, no mail, nothing, just a cell phone call several months ago, but they dug a 1000+ft ditch without anything in writing. So, the 1000+ft ditch was dug onto our property a month ago now, still have not heard anything from Frontier.

So, I contact Frontier via their website Chat, after about 45 minutes the Frontier person disconnected me, I have all this in writing, I saved the Chat. So, then I call in again, start explaining the problem to another Frontier Chat person, 20 minutes he then disconnected me and told me they were Not allowed to give out contact for Frontier customer service. So, then 10 days ago November 2, I found on the internet a Frontier customer service email for the Office Of The President of Frontier Communications.

I wrote out what the problem was, and didn't hear anything back from them, then I sent a reply on November 7 2018, if they knew how long it would be before somebody would contact me, no reply. It is now as of this writing November 14 2018 and I have had no response from Frontier Communications, just a cell phone call from a local person 3 months ago, and Frontier dug a 1000+ft ditch on our property. This has got to be the most incompetent company on earth.

They dug this 1000ft + ditch, laid fiber optic cable onto our property without Anything in writing!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

For the past year we have been calling Frontier as they sold us a service that wasn't available in our area. They then said they could only refund $100 of the overcharged amount and would reduce our bill to the right amount. Over a year later, hours of phone calls, chats and waiting for managers to return our calls, we are still being overcharged and they are putting us through what can only be called the largest test of patience and run around in order to not reduce our bill or refund our money. How this company is in business is beyond me. Sadly they are the only service provider where we live so they can get away with it. There needs to be some regulation on this company and its unethical business practices.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I signed up for their 3 year guaranteed locked in promotional rate. Then the speed I was sold was never reached and they finally told me it actually wasn't available at my location. So I downgraded to the lower speed but they then started billing me $5/month more than what the higher speed cost even though the lower speed should have been charged $10 less! They continued over-billing me $15/month for months even after I called them over and over again and hearing promises to fix it - but it took months. I was even billed a $9/month late payments when I refused to pay their over-billing. Then after a year, they ended the promo rate and billed me the higher rate. After again contacting them many, many times getting different stories each time, they claimed I never signed up for a 3 year guaranteed rate and refused to honor their deal.

I went all the way to the President's Office and they just continued to claim I signed up for something that I had never heard before. Since I signed a document accepting their terms when I signed up, I asked them to produce that signed document which will prove what I actually signed up for. They said they don't keep documents. How convenient. Buyer beware! Be prepared to be sold something that they will not honor. Be prepared for incredible frustration when attempting any type of customer support. Be prepared to be lied to and be angrier than you have ever been about a company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Communications?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

ON 10/23/18 my internet service fizzled out. Called Frontier 3 times that week and spent over half an hour each time with their techs who could not "ping" my computer. They made an appointment 12 days later for a tech to come to the house - 12 days! He came out and determined the problem is NOT in the modem or the house, but outside on the utility pole; and that a certain employee needed to be there to "splice" something in the wiring. That was on a Friday, so of course no work got done over the weekend.

On Monday, I started calling every single day with no results. No one had enough access to find out anything. One tech stayed with it enough to get me a "ticket number", but the problem still was not fixed by the end of THAT week either. WE are now entering the 4th week of no internet, and the bill just showed up! For the full amount! My husband called and was able to escalate up three levels, but still that person had no idea if or when we will ever get service. Like they don't know what to do to fix it. Even when it works we can't get enough bandwidth to stream anything off the internet. This company is a poor excuse for a communications company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

1st day the service was on, phone not working. We had a tornado 2 months prior. They should had noticed this. I called told them box hanging off. They came and rewired it. Then in about March to May 2018 timeframe. I was billed more than I was told. I called and c.s. told me, "Oh we will put you back on basic not essential." I informed this c.s. cancel due to billing is jacking me around. (At first I ordered that but canceled it within a month.) Well my ex and I split. I assumed account closed since billing kept messing my bill up. 150 and more every month. Not autopay. They took it out ex card, without permission. Phone still on after me cancel 3rd time.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My house was vandalized. I was away for two months and people were in my house using my Frontier account. Frontier would not allow me to get my Internet up and working because that’s all the money I have right now even though I told him I’ll pay him in full next week. Hard case scenario five heart attacks, vandalized, senior citizen disabled. They said, "No paid the bill" and "Paul we won’t connect your Wi-Fi." They Suck.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

They hooked my service up and left. The next day nothing worked? Line was bad. Waited more than a month before replacing line. They are charging me because service man said it was complete. I called several times to correct and just get they can't do anything. Now I have to start legal action. Worse company ever!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I cancelled my service on June 11th as their service isn't available where I we moved. I was told I would need to continue to pay through the billing cycle, ending July 7th, which was fine. I sent their modem back to them on July 3rd. They are insisting I owe them $81.38 for the billing period of 07/07/18 through 08/06/18. I've called on 9 separate occasions. I have spent no less than 20 hours on the phone disputing this. I have been lied to. I have been disconnected. I have been transferred multiple times, then told the department I was transferred to couldn't help me, I needed to go back to customer service.

I continue to receive bills and letters saying this will go to collections. It's a billing scam, pure and simple. Most people will just pay to make it go away. I am not one of those people. This company should be shut down by the government. These are criminal practices. Illegal, immoral, unethical... I'm not sure how the employees in customer service and collections sleep at night. Terrible.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had this service for about 4 months now and it I literally the worst service ever! Not only has my cable and internet been interrupted due to their installers taking my fiber optic network. That left us without cable for a week then they did not want to credit me for the time I lost connection but when they finally did credit me they then again shut my internet and cable off over a 50$ bill that I was told I could pay on the 15th of this month. Now I'm soo over dealing with these issue with Frontier that I'm about ready to say no cable or internet anymore. Unfortunately the complex I live in only deals with Frontier and that means I can't go elsewhere. Worst company ever!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I started this journey 9 days ago when I called from my Canadian permanent home, explaining that I wanted internet service at my winter rental accommodations in Southern California. After spending a total of one hour in conversation with a couple gentlemen, I had a date set for the service person to visit the home in SoCal. This appointment was dependent upon my "Positive ID" form being properly notarized and then approved by Frontier's credit checking group. The form could ONLY be mailed to the SoCal address. I just checked the mail - it's not here. They also struggled to deal with my Canadian credit card number.

Two days later I received a call to tell me the installation date was canceled since they didn't have my notarized form yet. A couple more hours and several "customer service" employees later I was promised the form would be emailed to me. Never happened. Messing around with my smartphone I was able to find the form online and print it. I completed the form and had it notarized (you have to give a fingerprint to the notary!!) and then scanned and sent to the Frontier credit department. Despite promises of 2-hour approval, it took a whole business day for a call to arrive to tell me I have been approved and we could set a service date, one week hence. I set the date with Frontier and then drove down the street to the Spectrum store, signed a deal and picked up a modem. Within 10 minutes I had it connected to my router and now we are on the net.

I won't further bore you with all of the lengthy and comical discussions I had about "is this a residence or business?" "we can't take a foreign credit card" "do you have copper or fiber on your street?" but my discussions with at LEAST 15 Frontier employees took me at LEAST 8 hours over 5 days and now I have Spectrum service. Frontier employees are pleasant but either poorly trained or not enabled to deal with simple situations like mine.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My father passed away yesterday and I came from out of state to pack up my 73 year old mom's things to have her come live with me. We called to cancel (we are not under contract) we've had this service for more than 7 years since it was Verizon. Our cycle ends on the 24th but the representative said that we can't cancel until the 30th (after the new cycle begins? Clearly to charge us another month). He didn't care about our situation and wouldn't send a recovery kit so we can send the modem back before we leave in two weeks. He just threatened to charge for the modem if we didn't send it back. COMPLETELY INSENSITIVE. We'll be leaving the modem here if we have to and file a consumer complaint the attorney general's office.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Well first of all I didn't read the reviews about the company so I called them and asked for a service. And oh boy how I regret that mistake. I order just internet and they tied me up with a bundle which contract. I was told I was going to pay $40 which the bill came up at $69 Plus. So when they came to install it they left the cable outside on the sidewalk the neighbor cut the cable off and I called them and I have to wait a whole week for them to show up. And to make a long story short in my humble opinion a company like that shouldn't be operating on in the United States. So I don't know how much are they going to charge me but I'm cancelling it anyways! I'm sorry I have to give this company a star. Because it doesn't deserve any.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Frontier and implore you to choose a different internet provider. I was paying what I thought was an outrageous amount for Comcast internet and was told by a neighbor that Frontier was much cheaper and reliable. As a veteran financially struggling to support my Family I need to save money wherever I can, but I need internet service for work purposes. Since July I have had nothing but problems with speed and reliability, had to replace the modem, and have had techs out on numerous occasions. I work for General Motors and I have actually lost more money and time than I have saved with Frontier service as I have repeatedly had to relocate to other locations with wi-fi access to work from.

The final straw was when I called to cancel the service after they told me a technician would not be able to come to our home for three days. The customer service employee and his manager were very pushy and were not willing to waive the termination fee or the remainder of my contract month, despite the multitude of problems we have had with their service. I understand I was under contract, but I feel a business looking to foster good customer relations and possibly retain your business, if not now but maybe in the future, would do a better job.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Do not use this company. First ordered bundle package of tv and internet. Sale person assured me price of 110 a month with Showtime and Stars. Install goes ok except for installers use my ladders and does not put them back. Take stuff out of the attic and does not return. So get my first bill and it's 160.00. YES 40.00 more. They added on without my permission a extended protection plan of 14.99 a month. Plus there is a 9.99 delivery fee. Wait the tech is coming out to do the install and I have to pay 9.99 delivery fee. BS.

There is no stars in my package only HBO. On phone to change that for 45 minutes. So 1 month in and my internet goes down. Call and on hold for 45 minutes. Do the BS reboot and nothing works. Now they say it's going to take up to 4 days to fix. Now that's only if they can fix it remotely. If not then they have to send someone out. What a waste of time and no one cares at tech support asked to speak to a manager and was told they are not available. USE ANY OTHER COMPANY BUT THEM. PS emailed the CEO Daniel Mcarthy and surprised did receive a call back from someone in his office. It went to voicemail. Tried calling back with the direct extension to that person. 4 phone calls not returned. They just do not care about the little person.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Subscribed to Frontier package deal for internet and telephone service in mid-Aug 2018. It took five service orders on their part to get installation completed. Customer Service does not have a clue about Engineering capabilities in given areas, so consumer winds up with lesser service and erroneous bills. Have spent innumerable hours on the phone with them; so-called free upgrades not available in area, but billed to consumer. It's unfathomable that they are in business.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I called about a 29.99 special they advertised, I found that I had to be put through a long sales talk to get there. Finally I set an appointment. They never showed up. I made another call and three days later, a technician shows up; a decent man. He did the install and left. About a week later I get another modem in the box. It is still as it was, I never opened it. I ended up writing a check for 71 dollars. My internet was so slow, downloads of kilobytes took a long time, I could not get anything done.

When I called to cancel, I was put through so many hoops there is not enough space to explain them. Suffices to say it took me three different people and holding for over half hour at time. The chat person said she could not help me, referred me to another hoop who could not help me, then the third hoop; I honestly was ready to throw up. The FCC should really look into the practices of this ill managed company. I made sure to take time and do this, because I would not wish this on my enemy. Mind you I was a loyal customer of Verizon for five years.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Hello everybody. I want to share my worst experience happen in my life till now with Frontier Communications. I wish I can give -ve review to company. Frontier guy came to my neighborhood and offering me internet service promotion. Marketing people didn't know about their internet feature how it work. He offer me 200/200 MBPS speed at rate of $50/month. After technician install speed was good but after few days speed is getting worst. Guy who came to home and sell this promotion to me never picked my call and message. Then after spoke with customer service that even more worst than any other provider. Everybody have same script - it's policy - but nobody wants to come out with solutions. This is was my super bad experience with Frontier Communications till my life. I have to pay bill that service which I didn't used. Please people be aware before dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Horrific business customer service - Frontier NEVER alerted me that they had been under billing my Northern Non Profit location. However the raise the amount due, without explanation or apology. They basically told me I was lucky that they were only changing the amount and not charging back payments. In addition, we had a PRICE FOR LIFE promotion - how does such an accident occur for nearly two years... sounds as if Frontier Communications are beginning to scrape for additional funds. Welcome to the age cable tv has tanked and simply purchasing internet services has created greed, lies, and outright thieves!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was a Verizon customer when Frontier took over their customers in Southern California. I canceled my service on 10/17/18 one day after the monthly cut off. My service was disconnected on 10/18/18. I was told by a customer service rep. that my service would be prorated and I would be billed for one day of service. When my bill came I was billed for service from 10/16/18 thru 11/15/18 even though my service was disconnected on 10/18/18. Frontier is billing me for service they did not provide and will not prorate the charges. I called on three occasions to try to get the charges prorated but to no avail. I'm not sure that this is legal in California.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I scheduled an appt for new service installation. I was given a window from 8-noon for installation. I was very specific in my initial conversation that I work from home and have 2 teenage daughters and did not want to start service with Frontier if this was not possible. The rep assured me that the time and date were available. Today I waited at home for the entire window. The tech never showed up and never called.

I called back three times after that and was transferred 3 times during each call. I just spoke to a manager who said the next available appt would be Monday. That no one was available and that it was just bad luck. Such poor business practices! So, now they expect me to take another day off work while I sit and wait to see if anyone bothers to show up.... And if they don’t, I guess they will just tell me to wait again the next day. The worst part is that absolutely no one that I spoke with had any idea why this happened and no one (except a woman in the business unit who accidentally got my call) cared at all. Completely unhelpful and apathetic. I’m so frustrated!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This is in no way a helpful review, unless you never use Frontier in you entire life. I have had internet only with Frontier since September, and have already had to put in four separate work orders, because the internet keeps going down. On one, of the many scheduled repairs the I have put in, the technician was not even attached to the repair ticket, and all I was told was that was a mistake. I took off work all day, and the technician was to arrive between 11 am and 3 pm. I have had nothing, but problems from day one with Frontier. I really wonder how Frontier is still in business. There is no way I am the only one out there that has had problems with them like this. Just remember one thing here: you pay for what you get.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had a very pleasant and helpful communications experience with Lianne - Frontier Social Media services and she was able to resolve my issue with them to my full satisfaction. I attempted to split invoice cost with Frontier, but they waived the entire dispute amount, which I'm very happy with.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Frontier is a Monopoly in Tualatin OR. I have had the service for over two weeks and there has NEVER been a day when the service was not interrupted many times. The same technician came three times and was unable to solve the problem. We got an appointment for today and late in the day I received a voice message saying that the appointment was going to be rescheduled for 5 days hence. What happened to competition? This company is the only provider for this area.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I ordered an internet+TV bundle from Frontier. DISH came out the next day and installed their part. Frontier came out a week later only to inform me that they could not provide me service, as I lived 2 miles too far away. When I talked to the Frontier sales department at initial set-up, I asked over and over if I could get their internet and was assured that I could definitely get it at my address. I called multiple times to Frontier and DISH to try and get some kind of internet, but neither would work with me, as my DISH was bundled with Frontier and Frontier due to piss poor communications could not give me internet. DISH has done what they can for me, but Frontier continues to pass the buck and provide crappy customer service! Avoid Frontier at ALL cost!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have four business Frontier phone line with them last 5 years, and I don't know they are charge me an extra every month. Now I want to a great deal from Spectrum and I want port my number. They don't allow me to change it... Frontier wants $5000.00 if I terminate them... bad service ever I seen, also they said good speed from internet and it's not... so please don't buy it.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Our FIOS internet service did not initially change when Verizon Fios was sold to Frontier. However, one day I called to cancel the cable side of our service and was talked through a round about "discount", to keep cable. I was told this would be effective for a year, & it only lasted about 6 months. Internet/cable/land line was 179, and jumped up to 235 a month. I called after a year & again asked to drop cable. This time, there was no run around... everything appeared smooth sailing & our new bill was supposed to be "89" a month for land line & faster internet only (not including taxes, etc).

Instead of a new bill & service, our service got disconnected & the system stated we owed 508.10. We verified with our bank, that payments have been sent in. We even paid one bill online with Frontier, which was not even due yet. I called to get service back on the next day, and customer service even verified that they finally received a payment from our bank. But they did not show our payment that we just paid online. Once they verified they received the payment, I asked again, well how much do I owe you? They stated, without hesitation, 508.10. I don't have room to state the whole runaround, but after reading the reviews on this site, it sounds like Frontier is doing everything they can to "collect" any form of money from their paying customer's, whether it is legitimately owed or not. I guess I'll have to pay for disconnect fee and get poor performance Spectrum Cable. At least the bills were honest.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

If you're looking for affordable, fast and reliable internet service you will be sadly disappointed with this provider. None of these are typical. Last time I tried to execute an online "speed test". The ping-test wouldn't even complete due to "time-outs". Purchased Frontier Communications DSL services ("fastest" available here). Have never even been close to the speeds afforded by my Verizon Cell Service "hotspot" feature... Multiple inquiries and troubleshooting sessions to address this issue with Frontier have only been a complete waste of time and left me completely frustrated. High Speed Internet Slower than 300 baud dial-up.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Phone service is terrible, and when there is a problem or issue you need to resolve, no one via a phone call can help - phone system says use website but website down and no one available to fix the problem until MONDAY. HORRIBLE company, HORRIBLE service!!!

Frontier Communications Company Information