3.9/5 (1725 ratings)

About Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications® is a Fiber, Copper and Fixed-Wireless network provider that offers services in 25 states. Frontier offers customers unlimited tech support, a dependable connection for a monthly prices that’s been called the best value in Internet services. Visit its website to find out if its services are available in your state.

Pros

• Fiber optic internet
  • Variety of plans
  • Bundle options

Cons

• Limited nationwide service

Bottom Line

Frontier Communications has bundled internet, TV and phone options that work well for some people. It’s not available everywhere and reviews mention service issues, but some consumers report being satisfied with it.

Top Frontier Communications Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Frontier for years, and they have been almost the only option in my rural area ... I could not be happier with my service, and I have recommended them to several of my ...

Verified

My set top box locked up and I could not get it to reboot ... I called Frontier technical support and talked to Angela. She talked me through several steps ... She was polite and ...

What is Frontier Communications?

Frontier Communications is a wireless network provider that offers TV, phone and internet services. Like its competitors, Frontier has bundled services at a lower price than its standalone options. Internet options include traditional high-speed internet and fiber optic internet. Frontier Communications partners with DISH Network to offer DISH TV.

Frontier Communications price

Frontier Communications' plans and pricing vary based on location, but monthly costs for bundles typically start at $54.99 a month. Router services fees are an additional $10 a month. The table below features sample costs for plans based in Texas.

CostSpeed
FiOS 50/50 Internet + TV$54.9950 Mbps
FiOS 500/500 Internet + TV$64.99500 Mbps
FiOS 50/50 Internet, TV + home phone$64.9950 Mbps
FiOS 1G service + TV$99.99940 Mbps download, 880 Mbps upload

Frontier Internet plans

Frontier Communications has three internet options: traditional high-speed internet, FiOS and Vantage. Check what’s offered in your location; services vary by area. Standalone internet service costs $27.99 to $44.99 a month.

• High-speed internet: Although it’s called high-speed, this is the slowest internet option from Frontier. It works well for basic needs like checking email and browsing the web.
  • FiOS by Frontier: This fiber optic option from Frontier works well for gaming and streaming. It’s available in three different tiers: 50 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 940 Mbps. The 940 Mbps speed is only available with FiOS Gig Service.
  • Vantage by Frontier: Vantage has speeds that reach up to 200 Mbps in some areas. It’s best for multiple-device streaming, including 4K video, and fast downloads.

Frontier cable plans

At the time of publication, Frontier Communications mostly offered cable plans bundled with internet service, not as standalone options. Only the Dish TV plan is available for separate purchase.

• FiOS TV: Frontier Communications’ basic cable option includes sports channels, lifestyle channels, reality TV and on-demand movies. Bundles start at around $55 a month.
  • Vantage TV: Vantage TV is Frontier’s comprehensive option and has sports, news, movies, entertainment and international channels. Cable/internet bundles start at $82.99 a month.
  • Dish TV: Dish TV plans range from about $60 a month up to $95 a month. Basic plans have 120 channels. The comprehensive plan has 250 channels.

Frontier Communications FAQ

Is Frontier Communications available in my location?
Frontier Communications has service in Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
What services does Frontier Communications offer?
Frontier Communications has internet, cable and phone services.
How fast is Frontier internet?
Frontier has high-speed internet as fast as 12 Mbps. This works well for most homes and small businesses. Vantage by Frontier reaches 200 Mbps in some areas, and FiOS is as fast as 1 Gbps. This is better for those needing much faster internet for gaming or streaming on multiple devices.
What channels are included in Frontier packages?
Channels vary based on package, but customers can access news, sports and lifestyle channels plus on-demand movies and international channels.

Is Frontier Communications good?

Frontier Communications has had issues in the past with delivering reliable service. The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in April 2020, but it continues to offer service to customers. Some reviews mention being satisfied with Frontier Communications services. If the pricing and services offered seem fair to you, Frontier Communications is worth considering.

Frontier Communications Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 19, 2022

I filed the following complaint to numerous agencies regarding Frontier Communications; FCC, BBB, My Florida Service Commission, FL Dept of Ag, FTC, News agencies, and Social Media outlets: "In November of 2021, I replaced my Frontier router with my own. Frontier sent a technician to remove and re-rout some of their equipment. The technician insisted on taking my old router and provided a receipt for it, stating that if I mailed it in, it would get lost, and Frontier would charge me for it. Six months) later (May 2022, Frontier added an extra $100 + $7.50 tax fee to my billing statement for “Unreturned Equipment Fee”."

"After numerous calls and hours of being on hold, each representative would claim it was resolved and give me a new “normal” payment and each new statement would show the extra fee, despite the fact I provided a returned receipt from the technician. Apparently, Frontier has a reputation for doing this as there are massive BLOGS regarding this issue. This is criminal as Frontier threatens to send customers to a collection agency and ruining their credit score! PLEASE STOP Frontier Communications from this illegal practice."

There is a scam taking place with this company as evident by various BLOGS in which Frontier is unduly charging for returned equipment and then threating consumers with late fees, collections, and negative credit reports. My technician told me Frontier would charge me and six-month later they did. After 4 months and hours on hold the issues was NOT resolved. It was not until they were contacted by the FCC, did Frontier call me and claim the problem as resolved, however I have heard this lie before and still pending a new corrected billing statement as of 5/19/2022.

I want consumers to understand that if you return equipment to this company MAKE SURE TO OBTAIN A PAPER RECEIPT! I was provided one as well, and STILL Frontier is attempting to charge me for a returned router. While making it nearly impossible to speak with a person, and if you do speak to a Frontier rep, they are incompetent and will not correctly address your issue, hang up on you, or make false promises. The ONLY way to fix this is to contact FCC and file a complaint until Frontier learns a lesson! I feel a class action lawsuit should be implemented as Frontier seems to have mischievous motives as this appears to be a common occurrence.

Frontier Communications response

We're genuinely sorry for the negative experience you've had, David. Please know that this was never intentional. This concern seems to have escalated already, and one of our Social Media agents will get in touch with you within the time frame provided to you to have this straightened out. If you need further assistance, you can always reach out to us on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We're available 24/7. -Marie

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 18, 2022

First time I've been mad enough to write a review but this company is so bad that I have to vent. First, their service goes down all the time. After you talk to several people and get a service appointment weeks out they never show up. I have sit at home many times waiting for these people just to have them send me a text after the scheduled time to cancel. When you call they say, that's unfortunate and try to schedule for another couple of weeks out. Some people work from home and do school from home. It's not just unfortunate. They have terrible service and can't fix anything when it inevitably goes down. They offer no solutions and basically just say sorry about your luck. I've never wanted to leave a company more than Frontier. Unfortunately, They are the only provider in my area for at least another year.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Derek. We apologize for the overall negative experience. We certainly want to keep our commitments to our customers and show up for appointments as scheduled. Please contact our Social Media team, so we can address your concern once and for all. We are available 24/7. Just send a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). -AT

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I was optimistic that this would be better than Cox Cable. Don't be fooled... It was worse! If you want to waste a huge amount of time, and get extremely frustrated, give them a try. Beware that their sales person was terrific, but they left the cable lying in our yard for a month, I had to call 4x trying to get it resolved. The internet service went down for 3 days with no explanation. All I asked was to not be billed until they completed the installation & they simply refused. DON'T FRUSTRATE YOURSELF! STAY AWAY FROM FRONTIER.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Shaun. We apologize for the overall negative experience. This is certainly not the type of service we want you to have. We want to address your concern once and for all. Our Social Media team can be contacted 24/7. Please send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). -AT

Original review: May 5, 2022

I have been a long-time customer of Frontier. I was overcharged for 3 years because I didn't check my bill, my fault. But, The also didn't make the changes they said they would and I trusted them. I recently noticed that the changes from 3 years ago, I know, were not made and I called them, omg, headache! I finally reached a person, pled my case, they were going to up my speed to 500/500, great! No chance on getting any $ back from overpayment of $50+ a month for 3 years. The lady asked if I wanted to keep my home phone, I said yes. I need it for work and my wife does as well. The tech hooked up the 500/500 internet, worked great! Problem is, they disconnected the phone!

We have now been without a phone for 3 weeks, poor cell service keeps me from doing conf. calls on my cell phone. Now they say that even though it is their fault, the soonest they can fix it is 8 days! All this after a 3.5 hour phone call not to mention 4 other calls that were all BS. 1 person told me my phone would be hooked up by 6 PM that day, great, nope! The next person said it would be ready by noon the following day, nope.

The 3rd person said the following Mon, We have now gone 5 days, again, nope, I did ask that person for a call back number and the number they gave me wasn't even in service! 1 person gave me a bogus work order number too! 3 of the 5 techs said they'd call me back the next day, only the last one did to say that even though it was their fault and we needed phone for medical emergencies, there was NOTHING they could do to expedite the repair that literally takes 5 min! I would leave this company in a heartbeat if we had other options in the rural area we live! So sad and frustrating.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Bart. We apologize for the overall negative experience, that's certainly not the type of service we want you to have. Our Social Media team can look into your billing concerns. We can also look into what happened with your service, and check your appointment as well. Please send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier) to get started. We are available 24/7. -AT

Original review: May 4, 2022

This is now day 15 with no phone or Internet. There was a snow sitting Storm on April 19th that took down their line and still no fix in site. I live in a rural area and have no other choice and no cell phone service either. There are several people in the same boat as me. Some elderly and some like myself with medical issues with no way to contact emergency services should the need arise. It's no wonder they filed for bankruptcy if this is how they run their business.

Frontier Communications response

We apologize for the inconveniences this has caused you, Jayson. We understand how important it is to fix the service as soon as possible. Please contact our Social Media team, so we can help. You can send a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier) to get started. We are available 24/7. -AT

Original review: April 29, 2022

There aren't enough upset words in the English language to describe these morons. If there is a problem that can occur with internet connection or speeds these guys make it happen. They are our sole option where I live cause they have a monopoly up here. This means we get slow speeds, peaking at 2 Mb/s when we are supposed to have 10 Mb/s, terrible connection, and very slow service. Just recently I went through a whole MONTH without word or internet from Frontier. We still paid for that month too. If at all possible pick literally anybody else. Take Dial up over these clowns.

Frontier Communications response

We apologize for the internet connectivity issues that you're experiencing, Seth. We understand how important it is to have a stable and fast connection. Our Social Media team is more than willing to look into your service and billing concerns. Please don't hesitate to send a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We are available 24/7. -AT

Original review: April 20, 2022

I had Frontier Communications internet service for over 15 yrs, simply because there was no other service, with the exception of satellite broadband, available in my area. Recently my local power company contracted with a provider and started running fiber optic thru the area. I immediately signed up knowing it would be better even if it was more expensive. After years of complaining to Frontier about the slow speeds and constant disconnects, all to no avail, I was happy to kick them to the curb.

They did however manage to gouge me two more times before it was all over. I called and disconnected my service in the middle of the month, and the representative on the phone told me I would need to return the modem they had provided, and that I could return it to the local UPS store at no cost to me. I did so, and then when I got my monthly bill I noticed that they had charged me the full charge for a month of service. I called them, and they said if you disconnect at any point of the month, they still bill you for the entire month. This was infuriating, but I didn't want a ding on my credit, so I paid it.

Then today I get a bill in the mail from Frontier and they charged me another $10 for disconnect fee! I called again and got all the placating about it being in the service agreement that I signed when I got the service 15 yrs ago, which I'm quite certain is just a lie because being a techie who reads everything I read the agreement, but I'll pay them their lousy $10, and spread the word every chance I get to avoid them if you can. I told the last representative that I'm sure they will go the way of all others has been like MCI.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Jeff. We apologize for the inconvenience. The $10 fee is to cover the cost of processing the disconnection of your service at the central office or remote facility. More info here: https://frontier.com/helpcenter/categories/billing/read-and-pay-my-bill/final-frontier-bill. Our Social Media team is available 24/7 if you still have questions or concerns about your bill. Just send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier) to get started. -AT

Resolution response: April 26, 2022

The Social Media Team offered to "broker" a resolution to this issue, and to my amazement, they did! They were able to get local Frontier employees in Santa Barbara involved in the issue. The local technician walked the site, listened to the issue, understood the events to date and took ownership of the problem. He is a RockStar for Frontier as is the Account Mgr they assigned me.

Frontier Corporate would do better to just delay installs, giving customers credit for free months of service while they wait for Frontier's techs to do the install work. I would not have thought it possible to redeem Frontier in my eyes, but Jacquelyn and Jonanthan did. Well done!

Original review: April 17, 2022

I have cancelled my order for Frontier Fiber Internet even though their new fiber is on utility pole, on my property, and a direct 75' drop to the home service entrance. And even though it may save me $75/month over Cox. Why? Because the only frontier the company is on is the one where disrespect for your time is job 1 and honesty in communication and service delivery is a non-existent. Over the last 10 weeks since placing the order I have spent 20 hours waiting on Frontier across 5 scheduled visits they did not show up for. I have lost additional hours in sixteen (16) separate personal interactions with them.

When they finally ran fiber to my home last week it came from 350' away and did not reach the service entrance of the house. Reaching that entrance will require another 100' of interior fiber cable. Finally, on the day of the interior install, another no show, no communications until the next day - a text saying "they could not gain access" - which is just 100% a lie - I was here all day. Comparatively, Cox is the gold standard. I know many of you existing Cox customers will find this hard to believe. So do I. Yet Frontier and their contractors here in Santa Barbara, CA are TERRIBLE. I have relayed this info to their Chief Customer Operations via LinkedIn, she couldn't be bothered to reply. They literally do not care. Supporting a company that treats customers this badly is the last thing I want to do. You may choose to do differently, but you should at least be aware of how others are being treated.

Frontier Communications response

Hi, Kirk. We apologize for the overall negative experience and multiple missed appointments. This is not the kind of service we want you to have. Our team is available 24/7 to look into your order, and resolve the issues. Please send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). -AT

Original review: April 12, 2022

I scheduled a transfer of service from one address to another which was confirmed by Frontier Communications. The Tech never showed up, never called, and when I called they promised that they will still show up, and they never did. I called again and scheduled for next day, again they never showed up, this affects us since we work from home since COVID, and they knew that, but I guess they didn't care.

They finally showed up the third day, but never completed the job, and I was left without cable or internet. They still charged me for the tech service which did not occur, although customer service promised in 5 separate occasions and 5 separate calls that I will not be charged. So I cancelled the service and went with Spectrum who came in the same day and connected me. The bottom line Customer service lied thru their teeth multiple times, and never kept their promise neither for service nor for charge. I will not recommend Frontier Communication to anyone. They are the sorst when it comes to customer service or support.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I have had Frontier for 4 years and have had nothing but problems from day one. My service has been out more than on. Again I have no service, yet again tonight. All done and cancelling even if I have to go with no service.

Frontier Communications response

Our apologies if you're experiencing issues with the service, Lisa. We definitely don't want to lose you as one of our customers. Please allow our Social Media Team to look into your internet issue and address this once and for all. Kindly send us a message on Facebook (m.me/FrontierCorp) or Twitter (twitter.com/AskFrontier). We have agents available 24/7 to assist you. -Marie

Frontier Communications Company Information