1.18/5

Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications Corporation provides communications services for residential and business customers in the United States. The company offers local and long distance voice services, including basic telephone wireline services to residential and business customers; and packages of communications services. It also provides data and Internet services comprising residential services, such as high-speed Internet, dial up Internet, portal and e-mail products, and hard drive back-up services; commercial services, such as Ethernet, dedicated Internet, multiprotocol label switching, and TDM data transport services; and wireless data services.

In addition, the company offers switched access services that allow other carriers to use the facilities to originate and terminate their local and long distance voice and data traffic; and direct broadcast satellite services and fiber optic video services. Further, it sells a range of third-party telecommunications equipment for business customers.

View More View More

4139 Frontier Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

When Frontier bought out Verizon and became our provider, we have had nothing but trouble. Firstly On Demand has never ever worked after the handover. Then I lost all the movie packages that I had with Verizon but Frontier still charged me the same price. Talking of price, it kept going up every month. But the crowning glory is the abysmal customer service. For over a year we were complaining that every time we got heavy rain our phone, internet and TV went out. When we eventually got through to Customer service (usually up to an hour on hold and/or dropped call so back in line on a different call), they would schedule a Tech to come out between a week to 10 days later. This happened 4 times this year, the last time taking 10 days without service. I tried to get a refund, but after being passed between different departments, they always hung up and did nothing. No refund, no apology.

Oh and the kicker on this last time, I had an appointment for 8am to 12pm, but the Tech never showed up. I waited an hour, still no Tech, so I called and was on hold for an hour. When I got through they tried to tell me I didn't have a ticket in and I corrected them saying I was currently looking at the ticket via my phone. They then kept me on hold while they tried to call dispatch, but they couldn't get through. They tried calling Techs in the area and then I got disconnected. I called again, and again was hold for 45 minutes and again they couldn't get hold of dispatch. The customer service rep then just blindly told me that as far as he could tell a Tech was still on the way but couldn't call anyone to confirm. So I was told to wait.

Just over an hour later I got a call from a Tech saying he was on his way and he asked me to tell him what was wrong because he didn't have any information on the fault. When he eventually arrived, about 30 minutes later, he told me he only got the call 45 minutes ago and had absolutely no idea what he was trying to fix and hoped he had what he needed on the van!!! I finally had it with them and switched to Spectrum and called to have them disconnect my service. I of course got disconnected on the first call. On the second call I was told I had to wait until the end of the billing cycle before they would terminate the service. What a business model, "We don't care if you have no service with us anymore, we're still going to gouge you for money"

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

To pay your bill over the phone, you have to pay $4.95 extra, to pay your bill by phone, you have to pay $3.95 extra. The only way to pay your bill for free is online payment, but their online bill payment system is shady and not user-friendly. There is an automatic date for the online bill payment that is set to after the due date so you will miss a payment and since online bill payment takes 4-5 days, you are forced to pay your bill by phone. They set up the system so you will have to pay extra to: 1. pay your bill over the phone $4.95, 2. pay $23 (residence fee) to reconnect your service. Shady business practice!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Today was the 3rd day this company was supposed to install internet. Guess what? NO SHOW and no explanation. This company is the worst, people talk about how bad the company is they are dealing with... Then you haven't tried Frontier... that's if you can get someone to install or keep an appointment. I HIGHLY DO NOT recommend this company. Rated company because had no choice, if up to me they would get a minus 5 stars.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Only 6 months into the service and facing the same issue 2nd time. On Sunday my internet went out and after being on phone with Frontier tech staff for about 90 minutes I was told that a technician is assigned to the case but for Wednesday. I don't know what I am going to do until Wednesday as I work remotely. To add, I requested to get an earlier appointment and I was told that these things are managed by dispatch and they were gone for the day so someone will call me 8 am today and let me know about the updated time but I haven't got any call yet and it's already 1 pm. I don't like the way they take these things lightly. It's really frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I called and asked about increasing my bandwidth because my tv just kept spinning when trying to watch Amazon Prime or Netflix. They were very clear and I know the conversation was recorded. The charge was $10 per month “QUOTED”. I accepted. Got my next bill and they INCREASED MY basic service package by $35 plus $10 for the bandwidth. THEY ARE CRIMINALS AND LIARS. I went to local Frontier office and they told me to “go on-line and pull up office of the President” and file my complaint. They said, don’t quote my name but they try to do this to everyone. I did just that, 5 times now with NO RESPONSE.

I sent them a letter, NO RESPONSE. I got onto chat with a rep and they REFUSED to adjust my account and refused to listen to the RECORDED CONVERSATION OF MY ORDER ON 9/19. I know they record orders. Now I have to go back into the local office and raise HELL and if no results, I’ll personally drive to their headquarters in Tampa, Fl where the PRESIDENT is headquartered. I’m learning these people are CRIMINALS AND LIARS and will do what they want and say what they want to increase your bill. The GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO COME DOWN ON FRONTIER. Verizon was so much better before the acquisition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Communications?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Acquired Frontier internet service after purchasing a home in Nov 2014. Was tired of Comcast, didn't need TV, and got a lot of Comcast flyers talking about fiber optic FIOS for $29.99 per month guaranteed for 3 years (up from 2 years on other fliers). Called them up, was told 'congratulations' I qualify for DSL, which is fairly slow. I do live a few miles outside Seattle, and my neighborhood does have fiber at the street.

So it was OK for two years, then my rate jumps up. I call them, was told it was an error, that they would give me a $10 credit for my trouble, and $24.99 for the remainder of the year (my third year). The bill remained at $34.99. I called up again, they said they had no record of prior calls, and denied there were any flyers with 3 year price protection. I scanned and sent them the flyer, then they said they don't know how they can change my rate, but they would talk to a supervisor and call me back. They did call me back (went to voicemail), and said to call to discuss options.

I called back, got voicemail for the particular agent, and never heard back. This was after at least 90 minutes of phone discussions. Since then, my service went up to $39.99, then $4!.98 with some new fees, and now $46.98 as I discovered today - no notice of increase prior. All this for slow, increasingly spotty DSL. So back to Comcast is probably my next step - even their Economy cable internet will be faster than DSL.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have internet and called retention in April to see if they'd match Spectrum's offer. They said they'd go $40 a month for a year. Didn't happen; I called back in June and there was no record of my first call. Retention said it would be $50 for one year. I tried to add cable and they offered that to me for $139/month. Didn't happen. Called back and there was no record of that offer. I have been dropped multiple times, transferred to the wrong department consistently, and never has one of their people done what they said they'd do.

They cut my service off today because I told them I wasn't going to pay until they fixed my account. I finally succumbed and paid one month though in order to get my internet back; I canceled the cable though. So they say I will owe $230 for this next cycle either way, and my internet has not yet been turned back on, and my cable is cancelled. Again, I would recommend running from this company if you can stay away. Their customer treatment is criminal.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've been with Frontier since they were purchased by Verizon. My internet has always been very slow and I recently called to see if I could upgrade. First, they sold me a speed that they can't actually offer, then they randomly raised my home phone charges with absolutely no explanation. Their salespeople continue to sell an internet speed which is impossible for them to deliver. When trying to resolve the issue with customer service, I'm given the run-around and told they don't need to explain it when they increase my bill. I'm pretty sure selling something you can't deliver on is fraud. This company is the worst. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was with Frontier for both a landline plus internet for many years. Recently my Internet would go down continually up to several times in a 24 hour period for months. I worked with Frontier techs, even at my home however it was not my home but the lines between the service provider and home. We offered to upgrade however not available in my area. I ended up using a local cable company for the Internet and left Frontier because they could not provide the service I was using them for. I received a bill for leaving their Internet early, under a two year contract for Internet service.

We only left because Frontier could not provide uninterrupted daily service. We communicated why we were leaving and made sure our account was zero balance. It made no difference and after multiple phone calls that lasted hours plus e-mails, we paid the bill. Why would anyone use a company that operates this way? Look at every option other than Frontier before you sign up with them for services.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I wound up with Frontier involuntarily, they slowly increased my monthly bill without increasing services, have basic package, no premium channels, etc., but monthly charges went up $100, they did lower my bill when I called, and threatened to go to Spectrum. However, in the past 2 months, my service has gone out twice, they say they attempt to fix it from their side, and then tell me that there is a "widespread outage", which has been a lie both times. They then take a week or more to send someone out and warn that they may charge for that. I am about to tell them to take their equipment, their service is terrible, their attitude torwards customers is distespectful. I would rather hang up an attend and watch free tv.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Internet just stopped working out of nowhere and you can’t get ahold of an actual person to fix the problem! That’s just as frustrating as the internet not working! Switching service! I wouldn’t give this company a star at all but I had no choice so one star it is!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

This is absolutely the worst company I have ever done business with. I spent hours on the phone with them and no issues are solved. Last bill of over 600 dollars for phone calls I did not make is just way too much. My friendly advice: Do NOT do any business with FRONTIER Communications. They are unprofessional, they are unorganized and they can really hurt you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I moved from my apartment on Aug 18th. It is now Oct 9th and since FIOS is not available in my new location I needed to have my service cancelled. I have already had to pay for September since they advised me the previous 3 reps I had spoken to did not enter the order correctly. Fighting the same battle again this month. Not sure why this is so difficult.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was moving and needed to transfer my Frontier internet to my new house. After going through the whole call and process, a Friday was scheduled. My mother was kind enough to wait all afternoon just for them to not show up. When I called to see why, I was told that the person who set up my appointment never actually set it up! Then when I requested to make another appointment I was told they weren’t able to and that I’d have to call back in 24 hours. So I called that Sunday and was told by the THIRD person I talked to that there was already service set up at my new residence. Why didn’t the first two people I talked to tell me that?

Then I was transferred to IT to see if they could cancel the service that is already there in order to set up mine. But in the course of this I was hung up on. THEN when I called back, a FOURTH time and put through the whole process AGAIN I was told that a tech wouldn’t be able to come out until a week after the original appointment that was never set up. After telling them I needed them to come out either Monday or Wednesday I was told no, they could only do it Thursday and that I could call Monday to see if there is an open spot. I have never been so frustrated with a company. They have the worst customer service imaginable. They made a mistake and were making me pay for it. If you make a scheduling error, you should rectify it by getting a tech out the next day! Not make your customer wait another week! I am cancelling my service and going with someone else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Just cancelled my services with Frontier and was told I had to pay full months bill which went up eighteen dollars for no reason. This is the worst company I have dealt with in my sixty-eight years on earth. Everyone please stay away. They would cheat their mother for a extra dollar. Fell real bad and cheated. Will pay last bill and thank God I don't have to deal with them no more.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The company is ripping off every single customer. Can you explain why there would be a cancellation fee while it is a month-to-month service, and NO Cancellation fee was promised by the sales rep when they tried to made a sale??? Does anybody in this company has a sense of INTEGRITY???

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The service was fine for the first year, but then the introductory pricing ended and I called to cancel. They said that I could get cheaper service by adding phone so I did that. When I got the bill it was more expensive because they lied about the price. I then tried to cancel and they forced me to pay a $10 "convenience fee" to pay over the phone, or waste time going to a physical store because they unlinked my online account before I could pay it. The hours for the store were wrong, so I will have to go back another day after wasting a trip.

What a trash company. They've won though because I've given up even arguing the extra charges that I will pay for the final month just to get rid of this useless company. Every time that I call it is obvious that they intentionally make their customer service reps unable to help with anything so that you just get sent in circles until you give up and pay. Companies like this should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have had to deal with Frontier for 9 years now because they are the only internet service provider in my area. Just to give you today's interaction (because I don't have the time to list all of them...NONE of which have been good!) I tried to pay my bill online today. I went to the site and when it tried to process my payment it said that an error had occurred and to call customer service. I called them and the first agent said that this has been happening since yesterday and they would be happy to take my payment over the phone for a fee of 4.50 (OF COURSE THEY WOULD!). She told me that since this was a technical issue that they have been taking the payment and the fee and then she would transfer me to another agent who would reimburse the fee.

Since I have school all week and didn't know if I'd get a chance to pay it later (I didn't want to pay it late because of course that means a LATE fee) I decided to go ahead and pay. Then she transferred me to another agent who told me that they weren't doing that. I said, "so your first agent LIED (not the first time this has happened) and I have to pay YOU a fee for YOUR website problem?!!" She said, "yes but I can offer you my apology." I said, "that seems to be the only thing your company offers," and I hung up.

FYI- DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE AUTO PAY!!! I did that thinking it would make my life easier and they double billed me the first month it was activated. I called NUMEROUS TIMES to get it resolved and got nothing but apologies and "don't worry, we won't charge you for next month". Are you kidding me?! If I could give them zero stars I would but usually sites don't post reviews without the star rating filled in. Take my advice... If you have any other option for internet service in your area take it. It will save you a lot of stress and headaches!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

ABSOLUTE WORST PHONE SERVICE CUSTOMER SERVICE AROUND. You are on hold for 30 minutes - each person you call you get a different story. Absolute worst worst worst place I have ever dealt with in my life!!! It amazes me how they have a survey at the end of each call - wake up management. Call your customer service hotline and you will see why your company is the worst. If you weren't the only service in this area you would be out of business, no question!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Wondering why the Federal Trade Commission can't do anything about this terrible company, the services don't work most of the time, I received a 25.00 rate increase, just showed up on my bill. With multiple complaints against them, nothing is being done to reign in this business with their substandard service. The internet is down every day. The customer service people simply take the brunt of peoples frustration. My family lives very rural, depends on the landlines to communicate, phone lines are down most of the time, Frontier could not care less if someone needs to dial 911. The consumer deserves better from Frontier Communications.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Regret I have this service. No choice because they have monopoly for the building I live in. Hence they charge us as they please. This is supposed to be a free country but these big companies do what they please. One of the worst companies I have dealt with. Hope they go out of business soon.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I paid my bill on September 29th, it was due October 1st, confirmation number received. My service was suspended on October 2nd. I waited on hold online for an hour and was told they couldn't do anything and gave me a number to call. The woman I spoke with was rude, and made a point to tell me she doesn't work in customer service, so apparently that was not a concern to her. She said the payments can take 2-3 days to post and there was nothing she could do because "she didn't handle the money side of things" and told me no one was available who did. So, even though I paid my bill before it was due, my service was suspended because they consider the 2-3 days it takes for them to process your payment as though you haven't paid.

I called back this morning and was told my account was not suspended, and the techs I spoke to lied to me because they didn't want to do their jobs. I was also told they could not fix my internet service until the 12th of October and just expected me to go 10 days without service! I called back to cancel my service and was told they could fix it that day... I replied that given the amount of lies I'd been told, I wanted to cancel anyway and when I asked to have the early termination fee waived they hung up on me! Shockingly, my service was not fixed as promised, and I am still without internet. I thought Spectrum was more expensive, but they offered me better internet speed than Frontier and a landline for $5 less per month. After spending hours on hold and getting the runaround from person to person, there is still no resolution. Don't waste your time with this company.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Frontier CS opened an account without my knowledge and entered a different mailing address. Eight months later, I found out about the account after it went into collections and hit my credit report. I contacted Frontier multiple times and was told to call back after I had all of the information from the collection agency. After multiple calls to Frontier consumer services and providing supporting paperwork, I was told that they would not process my request and were not interested in providing any assistance or guidance. The collection agency was actually far more helpful in trying to assist me than Frontier. I did not receive any billing statements while this account was open and am not sure if I am done with them. I would suggest that you take a few minutes and read the reviews and look up the reasons for the fines and comments about Frontier on the Federal Trade Commission website.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was one of the many customers that were treated like garbage when Frontier took over from Verizon. Once I left Frontier, I've been approached at least once per year by a salesperson swearing up and down that Frontier has changed, and that customer service is their top priority. I can honestly say that this is not the case. Frontier is still a seriously messed up company with many issues to figure out. Don't fall for the cheap price tag. It's not worth the headache it comes with.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Horrible customer service, transferred from one person to another. The second rep didn't even introduce himself, I said hello, and I heard ya, I said, "Who is this please" and he said "Daniel," I asked which dept did I get transferred to and he just transferred me to another line. What is going on over there? Hire people who actually want to work and help their customers, not answer the phone high. So glad I've canceled my plan.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I am being charged an entire month fees even though I terminated 3 days into the billing cycle. I have never worked with a more disreputable company in my life. Don't use Frontier!!! Beware of cheaters.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After moving from one state to another, I have been trying to resolve my closing bill with Frontier. None of the customer service and I use that phrase with a grain of salt since they can't seem to help the customer, could finish the job. While trying to transfer me to a supervisor, I would sit on hold for over 20 minutes and then get cut off. After 2 months and 5 phone calls, with the same problem happening, I called again today with no resolve. When I got home there was a collection notice in my mailbox. Don't use Frontier for phone or internet. Because of their poor service and lack of training or knowledge, I now have to deal with a mark on my credit report. Find any other company to use. This company is the worst on the planet, stay as far away from them as you can.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We have Frontier for internet and phones, we are in the boonies and can't get satellite service. Our first problem was a downed wire, waited to have it reconnected, the service person draped the wire across our fence. Called to have the wire hung up or buried (you had to pick up the wire to get into the yard). No one showed all winter and most of the spring (wire fell in September). Since June we've been having dropped calls, internet blackouts and no wifi. Had several repair tickets ordered, one repairman called and told me they fixed the main junction box and we shouldn't have any more problems.

Still the problem persists. No one showed up for a Saturday appointment, no one called till Sunday AM and left a message on my office phone setting a new appointment for 10/4. Called customer service requesting a firm appointment, not willing to wait all day for a service person. I'm still waiting for an answer 3 hours later. BTW, customer service said my new appointment was for today, 250 miles away. So, they get my money and I get nothing but hassles and lies.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Buyer beware! The promotions that Frontier offers the consumer for their services is nothing other than deceptive marketing and bold face lies. Don't fall for it, don't believe it because it is all lies. Frontier has a long legacy of broken promises and they provide a very primitive and barbaric means of customer service. Their troglodyte mentality customer service representatives are rude, combative, insulting, grossly incompetent and highly misinformed. They show a complete and total disregard for the customer and a complete lack of empathy for the customer's situation or grievance. Frontier's customer service reps are highly untrained dilettantes and they do not value honest customer input and feedback. Customer bashing...this is what they do best in fact this is the only thing that they are proficient with.

Rather than provide answers or solutions they choose to argue with the customer which leads only to additional heartache, resentment and futility. If it is Frontier's goal to permanently drive away long time loyal top rated customers, then they are at least doing a good job in this department. GROSS incompetence at every single level this is Frontier's legacy. The worst and most horrible customer service known to mankind. These people are world class losers who have no future. Shame on you Frontier, shame shame shame. And most of all... GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was shopping tv service providers and came across Verizon Fios (Frontier in my area). I spoke with a rep over the phone and he was extremely helpful and friendly. After about 30 min of going over options I was finally content with an option offered by rep, it was 240+ channels 100/100 internet speed with 2 boxes for the LOW price of 107.99 per month 2 year price guarantee!!! I asked 2 more times to clarify monthly charges and the rep assured me on 2 separate occasions that the total monthly charges were 107.99 per month plus taxes (8.25%). The rep after his long spiel asked for a verbal confirmation from me and I complied.

After 30-45 min conversation with Frontier I hung up phone awaiting installation date just to receive an email that my monthly charges would be 137.99 plus 22.00 set top box rental and taxes and surcharges. I called in to customer service and they completely disregarded my statement explaining to them that I was quoted a different price by the last rep I spoke to and basically told me the rep I spoke to was a vendor that worked for Frontier and lied to me to make his commission on a sale.

I then asked them to review phone call recording because I wanted them to honor the vendor’s word and verbal contract that I had agreed on and Frontier told me regardless if they can confirm that this vendor offered me this package at the rate of 107.99 per month that they could not honor it. Frontier then began to try and sell me a lower package deal for 131.99... speechless on actions from Frontier customer service and supervisor, I swear an oath I will never do business with Frontier. Complete fraud and horrible customer service and quality. I urge all to avoid doing business with this fraudulent (bad) service provider!

Frontier Communications Company Information