Find a Business Services partner

Help me decide

3.9/5 (524 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About eFax

eFax allows customers to send and receive faxes by email. Recipients receive faxes as a PDF in their inbox, allowing them to sign with a finger or add their electronic signature. With eFax mobile apps, customers can send, receive, access and sign documents on their phones or tablets. If you need additional security, eFax can store faxes in an encrypted folder that you can access and download.

Top eFax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using this service for a few years and it made my life much easier I can say. The support team is amazing, gives you very fast resolution all the time and they are all...

Verified

We have used eFax for over 10years. The service is reliable versatile and above all the customer service is fantastic. The web interface and the mobile App make it extremely flexi...

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

What is eFax?

eFax is a company that offers online fax services with no fax machine required. eFax is wireless and lets you send and receive faxes from anywhere. You can do this using a computer, email, the eFax app or the eFax messenger system. Customers can choose their own local, international or toll-free fax number.

eFax also offers electronic signatures, file sharing, unlimited third-party cloud storage and an enhanced security option. The free app is available for desktop and mobile.

The company offers two plans to choose from. The eFax Plus plan lets you send 150 pages and receive 150 pages per month, while the eFax Pro plan increases to 200 pages each. The plans don’t allow you to combine the number of pages that go in or out, however — you’re limited to 200 sent faxes even if you don’t receive any.

How does eFax work?

Using eFax to send and receive faxes is a fairly simple process. To send a fax by email, you compose an email and address it to the recipient’s fax number, followed by the eFax email suffix. You can attach up to 10 files to the email. Finally, hit “send” and your fax will be delivered.

If you’re sending from a computer, go to the eFax website login page. Enter the recipient’s address, fill in the fax information and attach up to 10 files. Once finished, click “send” and the recipient will receive it as a normal fax. The process is the same for sending from the mobile app.

To receive a fax, just log in to your app or eFax account. Click on “inbox” for your mobile app or “view faxes” on your eFax portal. Tap or click your received faxes to view them.

eFax pricing

eFax has two plans for customers to choose from. The eFax Plus plan and eFax Pro plan both have the option of monthly or yearly billing. At the time of publishing, the plans cost:

• eFax Plus: $16.99 monthly, or $169.56 annually ($14.13 a month)
  • eFax Pro: $19.99 monthly, or $199.56 billed annually ($16.63 a month)

If you choose the annual option, you receive two months free. Both plans have a $10 setup fee. If you send or receive more than your monthly allotted pages, each additional fax will be 10 cents per page. eFax offers a 14-day trial If you’re not sure which plan works better for you.

eFax FAQ

Does eFax really work?
eFax does work. It offers users incoming and outgoing fax options and can be used anywhere.
How long does eFax take to send?
The entire process usually takes less than two minutes for a single page fax. Dialing the number takes between 30 and 90 seconds, and the fax will take about 30 to 45 seconds per page to transmit.
Can you send an eFax to a fax machine?
You can send an eFax to a fax machine. eFax numbers work just like fax machine numbers, so you can send to and receive from a fax machine.
Can you send an eFax to a cell phone?
You can send an eFax to a cell phone. The cell phone will need the free eFax app to receive your fax.

Is eFax legit?

eFax is safe to use, especially in comparison to a regular fax machine. Instead of your information sitting on a fax machine for anyone to see, eFax files go to your personal inbox. eFax also offers enhanced security encryption that sends an email with a URL that logs you in with a TLS connection. You can then log in to view your fax. Enhanced security doesn’t cost extra, but you need to contact customer service to activate it. Overall, eFax is a safe and simple alternative to a regular fax machine.

eFax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I was looking for a free/cheap online fax service (I only send2-3 faxes per year) - possibly paying by the page. That's when I came across eFax - which I thought had some decent reviews. It did indicate that there was a free Trial - so what did I have to lose. Well, so I picked out a fax number (which I didn't really need given that I just wanted to send a few pages - but oh well). Then it asked me for my billing address and credit card - a little concern there - but ok it is free trial and you take the risk that they will bill you if you don't cancel on time (been there done that - so ok). There is no obvious mentioning of the fees or service package at this time unless you specifically look/click for them (I didn't as I thought that I was signing up for the free trial).

But then to my consternation the message that the account is active to receive fax and I signed up for a USD 16 per month package. I contacted customer service per chat a few minutes later - after which they asked my for my last 4 digits of my credit card to validate the account before they could do anything (I did already specify at that time that I wanted to cancel/not have any subscription). Thereafter I was told that the account/subscription was active and billed. However, of course I could cancel effective immediately or at the end of subscription period.

I said immediately and that was done - just then to be told that I still being billed USD 26 (USD 10 for activation and USD 16 for the subscription). In fact it was clarified then that the cost would have been exactly the same if I had canceled at the end of the month and I would have gotten at least some service (the agent didn't mention that at all). So I got charged USD 26 for exactly nothing - having an account active for 1hr without any message traffic. Asking why I didn't get the free trial - I was told that I hadn't picked it and that given that I had now closed the account it was too late anyway to fix my selection. So far as I am concerned this is specifically deceptive advertising - first lure a possible customer by promise of a free trial, then setting up the sign-up process in a way to make it easy to overlook where to pick the free trial and specifically not summarize the cost being incurred until after the order had been placed.

The only comment I got from the agent was that all the details are in the service agreement (like no refunds) and it was my own fault that I hadn't specifically reviewed the billing conditions. Maybe I made a mistake - but shouldn't a company help their customer not to make such mistakes? The ones that use this as a way to make profit are in the end scammers in my book. Very very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Cancelled service because I didn't use it or like it and they continued to bill me anyway! I called in a second time to cancel again and they wouldn't give me a refund for the charges!! Do not use them.

eFax response

Hello Tina, this is not the experience that we wish you to have. Our services will auto-renew unless canceled online or with a live agent. More information is available here: https://www.efax.com/cancel Please message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to review your account! ^RA

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

When canceling during the free trial, make sure to save the confirmation number. They won’t have any record that you canceled and will ask for it if you message to correct the issue. They’ll also say that you could provide the cancellation email, but they don’t send one out- at all. Even after I canceled and confirmed with a customer service representative, I never received a cancellation confirmation email. User beware.

eFax response

Hello A. All of our agent interactions are logged on registered accounts when applicable. Should you require more information, please feel free to message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to review your account.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Rip-off - no cancel allowed online without going through an agent, no billing notice, no cancel processing, and no refunds for future periods. Just cancelled with eFax, a Ring Central brand. Service works ok when needed; I haven't used in almost 2 years. Last December the renewal increased to $50/year minimum, so in January when I got credit card bill I cancelled online. Then, I was looking at my CC account online yesterday, I saw that another $50 charge came through for 12/10/21-12/9/22. I went to eFax site, logged in, saw it was active, hit "cancel" button and the web response was "this account may not be cancelled online, you must either call or start live chat."

I initiated a chat. After back and forth on what I wanted (cancel and refund of recent charge), the agent asked me to provide proof that I had cancelled last year. Without this, they would not credit the $50 or even $48 for remaining 50 weeks. I searched my email, nothing from eFax in over a year. No cancel notice form last year, no billing notices in any of recent years. I mentioned I would put dispute on CC charge on my account, and post unfavorable reviews online and with Consumer Agencies - it didn't matter.

Over the last 3 years, the account that I signed up for a free trial (at the time $15/year) has cost me $115 and I have sent two faxes of a couple pages each, last in 2020. Even now, I have no confirmation email, but I made sure to save the chat record. Consumers shouldn't have to worry about things like this, but I fully expect a charge next year from this unethical outfit. It's a shame, as the product itself, while overpriced for me, works fine. I wonder how they stay in business if they need to bilk the consumer this way.

eFax response

Hello Tom, this is not the experience that we wish you to have. Our services will auto-renew unless you have canceled your monthly subscription online or if you have requested to have your account closed with our live agents if you have an annual plan or have a balance owing on the account. We would be happy to review your account. Please message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to assist! ^RA

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Thought a fax number would be of use for the company so I used EFAX as they seemed to be the biggest company for this service. Used it once and only once because it didn't work. It said the transmission was successful on EFax but my customer did not receive the information, and the information was accurate after rechecked to be sure. I wanted to cancel the service so I did it online. That didn't work as I kept getting charged so I had to call. The person on the call was great however, I could hardly hear them and having to repeat themselves over and over again. This whole system just didn't work for me, from beginning til the end. *Just ask people to use scanners and email, less paper and more reliable!

eFax response

Hello Ashley, this is not the experience that we wish you to have. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to assist you into troubleshooting your account. Thank you. ^RA

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I feel completely scammed by this company after signing up for a free trial that ended-up charging my credit card $16.95 for months until I realized. Customer service refused to rectify the situation in any way, shape or form and basically abruptly ended the chat I was on when I started asking more detailed questions about “my account” and how this could have happened. When I inquired about how many faxes were actually sent throughout my “subscription,” I was told that 1 fax had been sent (by me) and that the account had received an astounding 167 inbound faxes which was complete news to me. In other words what that really means is that my “account” had received 167 SPAM faxes during that period and that not one was legit.

When I expressed my utter disbelief and disgust with this I was told that eFax is not responsible for any spam that may or may not be sent and was sent a link explaining the company’s legal liabilities (or lack there-of) regarding any and all spam sent and that’s when the chat ended abruptly. They refused any sort of refund, compensation or willingness to rectify the situation. In all, I was charged over $200 for a service that I used once during the free trial period. In my opinion this is a complete scam. eFax uses extremely shady business practices to rip people off for as much as they possibly can. Not to mention they must sell all of their fax numbers to the third parties sending the massive amount of spam in the first place.

This company is absolutely awful and should be sued via class-action lawsuit (in my opinion). My advice is to steer clear of this company no matter what. Don’t fall for the free trial “promotion” as I did as well as many many others have apparently. Basically when all said and done, it cost me over $200 to send 1 fax!! What a freaking joke. They should not be able to get away with ripping people off, especially to this extent. It is unethical and just plain wrong on so many levels! Obviously I’m furious. Simply put, eFax is no bueno. Do not make the same mistake I did!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I completed the subscription form, but then changed my mind about subscribing immediately (because of conditions that were disclosed only at the end of the process). I never used the service. I wrote to them the same day, and several times after that, to request closure of the account and a refund. They closed the account after several months and never refunded the 13.20 that I paid for nothing. These policies are not up to normal business standards. I would avoid this company in the future.

eFax response

Hello Douglas. This is not the experience that we wish you to have. We would be happy to help you in regards to your inquiry. Please message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to assist! Thank you, ^RA

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

This company advertises their data sheets for their eFax security https://go.efaxcorporate.com/online-fax-to-email-for-business?leadSource=Search&leadType=Adwords&sourceURL=Google&campaign=14184251189&nw=g&geo=21143&device=c&adgroup=125770787499&kk=efax%20corporate&mt=p&pos=&place=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7MGJBhD-ARIsAMZ0eetpHLNBPKvQAbXfx3llhg5Rul3Z3LJtE8sWefwutOMrCCQaCtvk3wkaAueDEALw_wcB.

The levels of security is the same for efax Corporate and Consensus. Our system was working fine. They changed our service without consent to Consensus. We were held hostage. Our business was held up for 3 day with phone call after phone call only to be told to email this person or that person. No one would help us. We even tried call J2 Global. This company is a scam. The only way we could get our faxes back was to open a new account, pay more with less service. We were talked down to as if we couldn't understand IT terminology. They will not release the fax number so they can keep ripping off their customers. Please look to another service and save yourself the headache and money.

eFax response

Hello Vanth, this is not the experience that we wish you to have with our sister company eFax Corporate. Please message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to review your inquiry with our sister company. Thank you, ^RA

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I call for a billing problem and I speak currently french because I come from Québec (Canada) and I have problem to understand people who speak faster in english. The first customer prepose have a bad accent and speak very fast and after I ask him to speak slowly, he prefer to transfer me to an other customer preposee.

Marie, the customer preposee, answered to my problem of overbilling because my cancellation online a month ago did worked. I ask her to speak slowly because I speak currently french but have difficulty to understand english when people speak fast. She offer me to do directly my cancellation online an offer me the opportunity to have free fax service until the 25th of September. She was really kind and mentioned me that she have a french name 'Marie', but don't speak this language. She take the time to explain me the offer and she was empathetic to my situation. Really good personalized service. Thanks Marie!

eFax response

We are glad to hear you had such a great experience, Christine! We will be sure to let Marie know about your wonderful feedback, and if you need any further assistance, please let us know at socialsupport@efax.com ^JW

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I cancelled my service in 2019 (see partial chat thread below to validate). They charged my card in 2020 but unfortunately I did not notice it. They charged again in 2021 and I noticed it. On 7/28/21 I spoke to Eda reference # **. She followed up via email on 7/27/21 (see below) saying they couldn't find any record of my account and to dispute the charge. I disputed the charge with AmEx and AmEx responded by saying efax / J2 denied my account was cancelled. I suggest not using their service because if you ever need to cancel you may find yourself in a bind. They owe me $169.50 from 2020 (too late to dispute charge) and $169.50 for 2021.

email from Eda at efax 7/27/21.... "We apologized for the inconvenience but, we can't locate an account using all the given information. Also asked the higher support team, and they cannot locate an account with the charges of $169.50. They advised calling the bank to dispute the charges. The reference number for this email is **." 10/7/19 chat thread to cancel. Mark **: "How long before it is cancelled?" Joey **: "Your account is cancelled and you will receive the email shortly."

eFax response

Hello Mark, this is not the experience that we wish you to have. Please message us at socialsupport@efax.com with your account details and we would be happy to review your account. Thank you, ^RA

eFax Company Information