eFax

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was a MaxEmail customer for over 10 years and had no problems whatsoever. EFax buys them out and raises the annual fee, so I decide not to renew when my prepaid subscription ran out at end of the year. By Jan. 3, 2017, I see a charge on my Amex card for $ 84, even though I never gave EFax my credit card (they obviously stole it from the Max Email records). I call EFax to contest the charge and they agree to cancel my service, but not to the refund, saying "I should have contacted them in November to let them know that I wasn't going to renew". I DID NOT sign up with them for a trial service, they carried my subscription over from MaxEmail. I would hope all of us former MaxEmail subscribers would file a major lawsuit against EFax and make national news out of the shady business ethics of their parent company, i.e. J2Global.

This company is a fraud. I used their eFax service thinking that it was free. They charged me $16.95 to fax 1 page to my son's doctor! When I called to cancel the next day, they refused to let me speak to a manager and said there were no refunds. I couldn't even understand the customer service agent because she barely spoke English and was reading from a script. "There is no speak to managers" and "We do not offer refund. Never." Stay away from this scam and poor customer service nightmare.

Do NOT use this service. I cancelled this last year and they continue to charge my credit card. I see that happens a lot according to the reviews. There are a lot more companies out there that charge a LOT LESS and you don't have to go thru this hassle. And when they charged my account they can't even tell me what my fax number is because they said I don't have an account. Go figure. If I don't have an account then why did they charge my credit card.

I have had the eFax for 10 days and I have had nothing but problems. I sent faxes that were lost and encrypted into explainable words. I hope I am able to get out of this without dealing with billing issues. No one at this company understand English. It is so hard to explain my situation. My phone time has been over 40 mins. every time I call. So disappointing!!!

I was with Maxemail.com client for over 10 years, great company. Then Efax.com took over, all was to be the same. NOT TRUE. I keep getting bills on my card. They divided my account so I would go over the max pages. When call, too bad, you just need to pay MORE. My cost for the pass 6 months, was more than the last 4 years. First person said, didn't see a problem. I think he did not understand English. Second person was good, but he couldn't fix the problems. So after 10 Years, I cancel all the numbers. I had to call them to cancel the fax numbers, and they didn't care why I cancel. There is no way this company should get a good review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

We were previous MaxEmail customers. Our account was apparently sold to eFax / j2 Global. We had received notice of the company change, but not about the pricing change. Our cost went from about $20 per year to $20 per MONTH. They did not notify us of the price change. To my surprise, we got an $84 bill in via email for 4 months of service. There were no previous communications or invoices. Fortunately, our credit card on file had expired, so we did not get charged. I cancelled via online chat. I asked that they remove the previous charges and void the bill. They were elusive. They said there would be no future charges, but wouldn't say that they dropped the charged either. My suggestion - Cancel via online chat and keep a copy of the transcript. If that doesn't work, file with the California Better Business Bureau. http://bit.ly/efax-bbb. With 610 complaints to the BBB, I am surprised that the California Attorney General has not address their behavior.

For over 20 years I was a customer of MAXEMAIL. I didn't use it often but was a back up and for $24 per year well worth it. 2 days ago, I noticed that EFAX a company I have no knowledge of, sent me and email that they STOLE FUNDS from my account for their service. I Googled and discovered that EFAX took over MAXEMAIL. My contract with MAXEMAIL does not expire till May 1, 2017 for which I am paid in full. HOWEVER... these CROOKS EFAX... without my knowledge went into my account on February 9, 2017 and stole $84. A fee they arbitrarily choose which has NOTHING to do with me, since I did not give permission.

When I called them and advised them of this theft, a rude customer service agent did as I asked and cancelled my account and told me 5-10 days for refund... REALLY. YOU STOLE THE MONEY QUICKLY... YOU CAN FEDEX IT BACK JUST AS QUICKLY. Yesterday, I receive an email that acknowledges cancelled a account but NOTHING about the stolen funds. I reply... they say "they will review" and if deemed 5-15 days for refund.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. How dare these people go into an account without permission... how many other people have they done this too? I have contacted NYS Attorney General and will also contact their home state Attorney General as this is obviously much larger than my $84. I am also alerting every site I can come across to advise unsuspecting customers of these thieves!

MaxEmail is now part of eFax which is a big JOKE! I would not use this eFax. I use to be able to view the fax from my cell phone. Now in order to view the fax I have to login to my account then open up the fax to view it. I called last month and canceled my account and guess what showed up on my credit card this month! A charge for $9.95. I called in and I was disconnected, which made me a little frustrated to say the least. It is sad that eFax does not want to refund the $9.95. I told Shana, which did a good job on the call, that it is sad that eFax which is an inferior service MaxEmail would not refund my money or empower their employees to do the right thing.

This is a fraudulent company. They pretend to be free but then charge you. Not only that, they make it impossibly hard to cancel your subscription. I had to cancel my credit card to get rid of them charging me and the faxes work on and off, not reliable enough.

J2 Global eFax Service 6922 Hollywood Blvd., 5th floor, Los Angeles, CA 90028 USA. I tried calling eFax today and requested to close my account, there are a couple of issues why I am closing my account. First being that I only get spam and the company does nothing about this, although I have requested assistance, they tell me I have to forward all the spam to another email in order to have the number blocked. I am not working for them, they are working for the consumer.

Additionally, I never receive any forwarded notifications to my email address when someone faxes me, like the system was set up to provide. Also when I tried to cancel, I am given delayed responses for example, "My computer is having trouble accessing your account," "Let me transfer you to someone who can assist you." I waited on hold for another 5 minutes or so and then hung up and called back to another agent, this time he tells me that he can cancel my account, which was renewed on 11/10/16, less than a month ago and that no refund was possible. Additionally, when I asked for a supervisor I was transferred to some department that was not a supervisor and they had to transfer me again to a supervisor.

The supervisor I spoke to stated "You should have known" and all our policies are final. Cancellation #**, I stated to him that it shouldn't be legal to charge a customer for a year of service and it be final if they need to cancel after renewal without a possible partial refund. They charge $169.50 for a year of service and I was never informed of the renewal by any means except having the charge appear in my bank account. I think this is criminal to have to pay for an entire year of service if I only used a month of it. No company should be able to charge for a service for that amount of time and give no refunds, if you are not using the service for that amount of time. I would never recommend this service to anyone, you don't get what you pay for and the service does not work or operate with any integrity.

I've used eFax for at least 6 years, maybe longer. It's always done exactly what I needed it to do, no complaints there. But my needs changed, which happened 10 days after the automatic annual renewal. When I contacted the company to cancel, I expected at least some degree of prorated return on the $169.50 that had been paid 10 days earlier. At the very least, I would expect that a Customer Service rep in the position of having to refuse any refund at all, 10 days into a new year, might express some degree of sympathy along with the refusal, which would have at least made it more palatable.

Instead, I got this answer: "Kindly check paragraph 17B of our Customers Agreement at **. The paragraph clearly mentions that the activation fee, the monthly or the annual fee are non refundable." Really. Wow. Not even "I'm so sorry, but..." or "I wish I could help you, but..." There was, however, an attempt to sell me on keeping the plan at a lower rate (for next year of course, not the year already paid for). In fact, the rep said he could lower my rate (for next year) to $129.50. Which leads me to ask, why have I been paying more than that?

The rep added that "...we have always had an automated billing system in place, wherein, once the current billing cycle ends and the next one commences, the applicable fee, monthly or annual, is automatically charged. No renewal notices are sent before this update." Again, wow. No renewal notice. Like everyone else on the planet, I have lots of accounts to keep current. I depend on all sorts of notifications that bills are due, or that renewals are about to happen. Could these people possibly make their business practice any less open and aboveboard?

Apparently yes. Having lost that battle, I retreated to my account web page to change my billing preferences. Aha, guess what, there ARE no billing preferences. You can't remove the credit card on file without replacing it with another one. So the only way you can ever get out from under this company is to cancel prior to an auto-renewal date that you get no notice of, and of course lose some of your money in the process unless you cancel on the final day.

If this rep had been even the slightest bit nice, or if they had refunded any part of my money, I'd have written it off as a useful relationship for a few years that ended on an unfortunate note. This interaction, however, led me to look up the experiences of others online, and I found not only a lot of people in my same boat, but also reviews in tech magazines that mention eFax as much more expensive than competitors while providing the same or less service. Is eFax a horrible company? They've done fine with my faxes for a long time, so there's that. But it's clear that they are not doing business at the same ethical level as most of the companies I do business with, and they apparently think they don't need to. Vote with your feet and give your business to someone else.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They make it very difficult and time consuming to cancel. I was billed for service and tried to cancel that day before it posted, but I couldn't get them on the phone to cancel (which is the only way, other than the almost non-existent availability of their supposed on-line chat), so they billed me. I was reasonable, nice, and level headed when asking for my valid refund, but was given nothing but the runaround. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and believe it or not they kept offering me new services to try! ARG. So frustrating. Aside from that, the moment I signed up, I received continuous spam faxes. Waste of time. Waste of money.

I signed up for eFax years ago, and for a while it was a worthwhile service as it was a good way to send faxes from the road. Over the last years however, all you get are SPAM faxes from companies they seemingly sell the fax numbers to and there is no way to stop them. Customer service is horrible and it's very hard to cancel the service. Find another way... Don't patronize them...

We are a private investigators and had numerous lines with these people and these were lines that we had for years and some have been cut off without warning that are paid up. Even worse they tell us lines that are live are not theirs! They also move things between all these nonsense brand names that are the same company (j2, eFax, eVoice) plus constantly change systems which screws up logins at crucial times. I am holding currently for an hour while they try to sort an 831 area code number. We are getting rid of everything we can with these idiots. It is the most inept and incompetent company I have come across in years and wastes hours of time plus cannot be trusted when it's needed.

eFax/j2 Global Communications (AKA E-Fax or MyFax) are committing fraud against their customers. They are hiding behind an unfair "terms and conditions" taking advantage of the fact that most of us rarely read these terms through. The charged my credit card without even letting me know about it and after I found out, refused to issue a refund. After a while they refund $10 out of $24.95. The matter is now taken care of by the BBB. They claim that they got my email wrong (and that is true) but in such case, they should have not keep charging until they were able to reach me.

From the service to the customer service, nothing about this company works. We are a relatively large company with 30+ fax numbers. We were migrated over from another fax service when J2 acquired that company. We've now been 7 days without the ability to send faxes. If you can get to a person at customer service, they can't help. They don't answer the phone and they don't monitor their support@ email box. I don't think they actually have a fax service that works, instead are hoping to get people to sign up and forget about their non-working service that they can't get customer support to fix.

I signed up for eFax 30 day free trial. I only used the eFax service one time only a few days after the start of the service. When I went to cancel the service a month later, they had already billed me for continuing service. I tried to explain that based on my usage, they could see that I would not use this service and to please remove the charge. They would not even consider it because I was 3 days past the 30 days - even though I hadn't used the service in many days. Their policy is fine for regular users, but in this case, they should have reimbursed me the amount that honestly wouldn't matter to their bottom line, but would have kept me thinking their service was good. Now, I'm left with a very negative customer experience. There are many eFax options - if you need the service, choose another provider.

Yearly auto renewals suck. I thought I had cancelled the service and when I called to find out why I was charged for a year they would absolutely not refund or even pro-rate any amount back even though I didn't use the service for the past year and a half. Pretty crappy.

This company has absolutely no refund policy, and you cannot cancel from the website. I would stay away from them.

Their $16.95 monthly fee is to include 150 pages for sending faxes. BEWARE! According to their "terms and conditions" a page is considered a sixty second transaction... Seems reasonable... until my 20 page (Black & White, bank documentation) fax "supposedly" took 2-3/4 HOURS!!! After talking to a supervisor, their canned response is still "It can only transmit as fast as the phone lines permit." I was NOT transmitting this overseas; I was faxing from San Diego to Riverside, a 90 minute drive! So in one month, I accrued additional service charges of $25!!!

Stay far away from this company. It's a scam. I was in need of a reliable EFAX company and thought I would try theirs out. RED FLAG - they make you enter your credit card number in for free trial. I could not get their service to even work. So went on to another company. I HAVE BEEN WRITING AND CALLING THEM DAILY TO STOP CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD. I told them services never worked. I do not want an account to cancel but you cannot. THEIR SITE DOES NOT LET YOU REMOVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO. I have receive just one email back from them this entire time from Fakruz ** Customer Support - "You signed up for free trial now you get charged $10.00 a Month." I have to cancel my credit card and place a fraud claim against them. NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY.

I've been with Smartfax since 2009 and had never had to deal with support. Late Feb 2016, my business partner told me that the fax number was rang busy and was not responding. We called them and was very patient. After 4 support ticket and 3 phone calls over a span of 2 months, they still could not resolve the problem. So the first big issue is that they allow for customers to put in support tickets online but never answered any of them. Secondly, calling support directly and they kept promising a few weeks for resolution and after the 3 time we cancelled the fax service. They are fine when everything works, but god awful when there is an issue. Our service was out for 2+ months but they would not give us credit for it. I rarely ever complain about a company but this was a horrible experience.

I reviewed eFax before signing up with them on such sites as 'top ten,' etc. It is evident that their assessments merely repeat what is claimed on the site. My mistake was giving them my credit card number. Sent out one Fax. It worked. Then I checked on them with the Better Business Bureau [bbb.org]. There is a RED ALERT on the BBB site. In this age of web based communication and the demise of the fax [I needed to contact a medical doctor in the middle of the night], I decided to cancel their 'free' service. Got the runaround - long waits, case numbers, e-mail verifications of the cancellation that never arrived.

It is hard to believe that an organization would find the time to harass clients for $16.99 a month for a 'free' service but it all adds up over time. Long ago, I found that I should give my credit card number only to PayPal and Amazon and a very few companies that I've dealt with for years. I've since cancelled my credit card and reapplied for a new one, but I have my doubts about the future safety of credit cards over web thanks to companies like eFax.

Customer will not accept e-fax - not clear on fax when sent. Try to cancel. Just paid 50.00 and they will not refund.

eFax originally came with my printer as a free service. Eventually, it stopped working so on two separate occasions I signed up for eFax online. One time for free service, and more recently, paid service. In both cases, I need to fax something that day. In both cases, the service did not work. I contacted customer service via email and the response I received said they could not help me via email, I had to call. I procrastinated. I got online weeks later to do a live chat because I was charged again. I got an error message saying my account was inactive. When I called, they said it was definitely active and paid through April. I requested to cancel immediately (March 29) and wanted a refund for the remaining month paid. I have not received any faxes nor sent any faxes so have been paying for nothing. So why continue? They agreed to cancel but refused to refund. Not good. How do you account that in your books? Payment for no services?

Poor customer service and unreliable. I received many sensitive private faxes for other people. I'd call they would laugh at me. I finally bought my own system. When I called to cancel they tried to upsell me to a service I had no use for and refused to cancel the service. Since they are not US based I had little recourse. Finally was able to stop their billing. Stay away from this company at all costs.

$16 a month, service with new VOIP less than $6. Tried to port number we have used for over 8 years. Can't, it's contractually bound to eFax! Was not explained up front. Tech support is hard to understand. Software has had continued issues.

I signed up for the 30-day free trial, and was charged on the dot on the 30th day. When I called customer service to refund the 16.95, they told me no, several times, regardless of why. I told the customer service agent I never ended up needing to use the service, and after 30 days simply forgot to cancel. When he told me I was paying for the service, I reminded the customer service agent I never used their service. So basically I paid 16.95 to be signed up to a company that charged me for nothing. The only way they make money it seems is by doing this ** way of business. I'm very diligent about canceling services I won't end up using, but so many companies use this scam now. There was one other time I forgot to cancel, and the company refunded the first month back. I cannot believe I was charged for nothing, and lost money to such a greedy company. Next time I'll drive down to the FedEx by me and use their fax machine. It'll be cheaper.

Customer with e-fax since 2004. Was told on registration I would be able to port my number upon exit. After multiple attempts to get confirmation of my ability to port my fax number to a new provider with more capability and significantly lower price, was told I was not able to port my number. I would not have signed up with this company in the first place without ability to port on exit. New customers should be aware of false statements or changes in policy and avoid. Find a service that will let you port your number on exit. You should stay for good service, market capability and fair pricing -- not because of an arbitrary business model design which prevents you from porting your number. Letter filed to CRTC in Canada and Privacy Commissioner as I can't be sure contacts will stop using the old fax number and it is now vulnerable to being reassigned from their pool. Deeply frustrated with j2 Global Communications.

They refused requests for cancellation, then charged my account and refused to refund the day they charged me. The worst! Customer service - Megan and her supervisor Nick - also incredibly rude. USE ANY OTHER FAX SERVICE BESIDES EFAX.

eFax Company Profile