1.02/5

263 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

If you use this service know that you will be locked in for life if you want to keep your phone number. They will let you port YOUR number in but they will not let you port THEIR number out. They claim they don't have to abide by the same rules as phone companies. Their customer service is subpar. They use low paying wages by hiring reps from India. Keep that in mind. Bad Customer service. They don't ever prorate your 1-year subscription. I decided to cancel my service with them after 14 years and wanted my phone number ported out. My subscription began December 2018 and it is now April 2019 and they stated there will be no refund. I wanted to just be done with them. Just cancel and I don't want your number nor your service. I am still not sure if they owned the number or if I port it in but there is no way out if you use their number.

Moral of the story if you use their service don't publish the fax number because if you print it on your business cards etc you will need to reprint them if you decide to change services. I figured I would just get a new number as that one was getting spammed anyway and they had no option to block numbers. Stayed with them to keep my number for years and finally I am FREE. Stay Away!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had a 30 day free trial - I used the service once then attempted to cancel. To cancel your contract - you needed to either chat with a rep or make a phone call. This is where the fun starts! Once the customer service chat and phone rep knew i wanted to cancel. They actually pretended to not hear me or see my response on the chat line! Who does that? LOL. Tried multiple times to cancel. Now I'm going to begin to tweet them. They will be sorry they screwed with me.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

In January the app didn’t work. Asked the rep to cancel it over the phone. Turns out the rep didn’t cancel it and they kept charging me through now which is April! He unlinked it from my phone subscription so it wasn't even visible in iTunes! They stated because I don’t have the reps confirmation number I am out of luck. Wasn’t able to send or receive a single fax with their system. The Rep didn’t even include a confirmation number after I canceled it today and asked for one specifically. Get everything they say they are going to do in writing in the email; with a confirmation number and double check it! Will never recommend it and will find more ways to make sure people know this company is horrible!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I signed up for eFax today and upon logging in, I saw faxes from previous owners. It is a HUGE security breach. Their faxes had subjects like loan information, bank information which would contain their address, social security, balance, etc. I can't trust this company and went ahead and cancelled my account. If I can see someone else's faxes, someone else can see your faxes. Stay away from this company. When I called the customer service, I was redirected three times and the guy on the other side said it's a "software glitch". Software glitch doesn't show faxes from 2016. This is been broken since then. This is a security issue and possible legal issue.

Original review: April 4, 2019

These people are all smoke and mirrors. Their eFax service worked fine - I attempted to cancel it via email - no, you aren't allowed to correspond through email. You can one thing through chat, another through phone call, a different thing through email. It is like a trap. The chat support didn't try to help. Just pressure into plan changes. No you cannot speak to a supervisor on chat - you have to call another number then they just do the same dance. Even getting through the maze of recordings is a joke. AWFUL customer service. AWFUL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: March 30, 2019

Just save yourself the frustration and do not even do the trial. Not only will they bill you beyond your request to cancel, but they will not refund your money to you. You can demand request to cancel all you want and they will cancel your account, but you do not get your money back. So you think, retain the account since you pay for it anyhow. Then you request to cancel at the end of the contract. That will not happen. Contract ends, so you think, but they have billed you again. Still no refund but a song and dance about how you should try their service...blah blah blah...as if you have not heard it already. I had to report the unauthorization to my bank. Cancel request confirmation. Do not care to use the service, ever again. If you read this and choose to do service with eFax, "caveat emptor."

Original review: March 30, 2019

I had an account with MetroFax till yesterday, (which is same as eFax from a consumer point of view). Both companies are just names under which they seem to operate, with J2 Global being their parent company. I had sent 2 faxes yesterday to the same number, one went through, other didn't. So I decided to check with support. I went to MetroFax chat support. I was told my account is on eFax etc. So I went to eFax support. I was getting no help, so I explained I may have to file a complaint if I get no help. The agent then asks me for my account number and card info for "verification" and immediately deletes my account! Speaking to a support had no help. All I get is, "It was human error"? The damage was irreversible. Thus this review. Never will I recommend this terrible unreliable service to anyone ever.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Yeah do not use this company. They are a scam. Immediately called in to cancel my trial cause I knew I would only be using the service once. Didn’t think about it again until I kept getting marketing emails - emailed customer service to confirm my account cancellation. The reply that they don’t process cancellations via email only on chat or phone was put in my spam folder so I never saw it. Then the charge came in. Spoke to chat that I had twice cancelled my account and it still hadn’t been cancelled. They said they didn’t process refunds via chat and I’d need to call and speak to a manager, but that they had cancelled my account.

Went to get my fax number in order to call and speak to a manager a few days later... THE ACCOUNT WAS STILL NOT CANCELLED! I was then told the company policy is to not issue refunds - aka we’ll keep forgetting to cancel your trial and charge you and then we have a policy to not offer any solution to you! They offered an account credit which I declined because I never send faxes- this was a one time out of the ordinary need! I just want it cancelled! and I was not allowed to speak to a manager after I asked for one. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: March 20, 2019

They acted like they offered me the lowest rate possible... until I went to cancel and then they offered me a lower rate. I kept them an additional year and then found out there were much lower rates out there. I called them prior to transitioning and asked if they had a competing offer. They said NO. So I went ahead and signed up for the other service and called the next day to cancel. At that point they were ready to compete for my business. They went lower 2 more times. It is incredibly frustrating to have to be ready to leave before they will offer a competitive rate. I said that I would like to proceed with cancelling my service... and the rep then said... "do you know your faxes will be deleted?" I began to ask if the cancel would be immediate or if I could log on real quick to see what was there. He said, "sorry, it's been cancelled."

Original review: March 9, 2019

Not only have not called me back to explain why the are not refunding me but I did receive an email initially authorizing to refund me. After I cancelled the service they continued to charge me and will not refund both charges. They are crooks. Do not sign up with them. I will continue to fight them and will contact the AICPA to make them aware.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I signed up for services from searching online for Faxing services as we all know actually. Parker reference **. I actually created a bank account separate just for this service as I was suspicious of any eFax company out of California mostly because it is the common strategy used for China, India and other Countries to mask a company whereabouts. But we need online fax for my illness as insurance only pays through submissions of fax billing. The first month I was charged 16.95 x 2. Guess this was my first mistake allowing this to take place but we needed the fax services.

Then following this charge each month 16.95 from a new country well you can figure what happens. My bank halted the charge as fraud, by the time I approved a convenience fee was added. 4.99 now. Same services are being charged. China guess what? This triggers another Fraud Alert. Now they add 16.99 more and over and over until I find out I owe them 49.98 not for any months used. This is for the months forwarding meaning I was paid to date but to continue I needed to pay almost $50.00. WHAT A JOKE. Just do yourself a favor and avoid this company and their INDI Customer Support. Who knows this company? May not even really be located in California or China Vietnam or some basement in Turkey. I would have given them a -5 stars.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Agent hung up and refused to confirm that I would no longer be charged now that "cancellation is underway". This whole company is a scam from no confirmation when apparently purchasing, to not being able to locate my account when I immediately notified them that I didn't intend to purchase a subscription. When asked to cancel I was told I was unable to cancel through email, once I called the automated system didn't give me enough time to enter my fax number, then after finally getting through agent hung up on me. $17 a mo for a service I never needed. Worst company I ever dealt with. Coming from someone who works in customer service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

They offer 30 day free trial, but charge you anyway. If you call to cancel, if you are lucky you will get someone in India who you can't understand. After you cancel, they still charge you every month, and you can't reach anyone. Total scam, avoid these jerks.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Dont do it! I signed up for free trial, sent one 5 page fax which they ended up sending 3 times and was charged $10 for each send. Called to complain and the India call center people hung up on me twice. Terrible. Cheaper to go to UPS store and send fax! Crooks.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When I attempted to cancel, I was told (via online chat) that the 'online tool is down - please contact us later'. I recorded the conversation and told them that I would report it. As of now, I do not know how to free my credit card from this company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Signed up for “free eFax.” After downloading the app I got a welcome letter stating I would be charged 19.99 per month... Have tried phoning and chat, phone says chose option 1 or 2, then goes on to tell you they didn’t get your choice and disconnect you. With chat they kept asking the same questions, then tell you they have to transfer you to a different dept… (in my subscriptions on my phone, I have charges for 2 eFax and another eFax plus being billed for close to fifty bucks). After an hour and a half on the phone and chat, said ** it. Talk about ** for customer service, eFax sucks!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I signed up for a trial and go to cancel later on the chat. After sitting through a couple "Please don't go. We will give you this," bs Dan said it would be canceled and an email sent. Ok so I got the email and later went back to see if it was really canceled and if I could remove my card and guess what? Dan claimed not to know me and my account wasn't canceled. Go figure... So after copying and pasting the cancellation email word by word and going off about how they are no better than Indian tech support scammers he again said, "Sorry your account will be canceled for real this time." I honestly doubt that and if I get charged at a later date I will update my review.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This company claimed that they were refunding my money and canceling my service. Now I've discovered that they have charged me again and are claiming that they don't do refunds. This is exactly the same complained that hundreds of people apparently have had about this company. What is the purpose of this site if not to stop companies like this one?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I started a trial but called to cancel the trial. The thieves at eFax went ahead and billed me and would not cancel despite emails to them. They then tried to say that I called to cancel but then agreed to a free month. Nothing even close took place. My conversation was quick and simple... I cancelled and that is all. The folks at eFax are thieves - DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I used to use eFax years ago, on a trial basis, I decided to see if I can have a need for it again. However, I found that I didn't need this service at this time, so I canceled, my service was canceled right away, however, BEWARE apparently, what they claim is free is not, if you cancel THEY WILL BILL YOU AND IS NON REFUNDABLE. Nothing you can do, in this day and age this practice is not one we need to use or put up with, too many options out there. Ring Central is actually a great option and I will no longer use EFAX. Not because I was unhappy with their service but because their practices are unethical as a company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I signed up for an account to use for work. When I left the job, I sent in my cancellation notice, giving 10 days notice before the next billing cycle. The company charged me for the following month anyway. When I contacted them to have their mistake corrected and my money refunded, I was told that it was against company policy to refund my monthly charge- all this on the 3rd of the month, mind you. I asked for an email address to which I could send the original cancellation email and was given a link to their website. The services I got were actually pretty good- I likely would have used them again- that is until I was met with a customer service team that showed me the company's true colors. If you won't give them your money, they'll just take it anyway.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I've been with the service for many years, but over the last two years, I started receiving junk faxes and spam. I did some research and found some better options, so after I was automatically billed for a recurring year, I immediately called to cancel a few days later. They refused and have worked hard to defeat my dispute with American Express. So for the moment, the charge stuck, but then when I logged in, they cancelled my account anyway. In a nutshell, this is a company that is hoping to lock you into recurring billing with zero flexibility, even though at the very top of their agreement it clearly states: "CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE TO CANCEL ANYTIME". Be warned before signing up with eFax.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I am a lawyer with infrequent need for fax but had an occasional need for VM when first signed up for Maxemail years ago. When eFax acquired Maxemail, they billed on top of Maxemail's billing so I was billed twice within three months for the identical service. They used an expired credit card, on which I was nonetheless billed and dunned for nonpayment (when I didn't realize they would be billing again). Ever since eFax took over, I have received only junk faxes (which I am unable to block) and any VM messages I am told to go to eFax site and log in. When I do so and attempt to get VM messages, I see the same email that announced the fact of the VM --- but no VM. TOTALLY WORTHLESS for VM.

I allowed my account to lapse when the credit card was replaced. It is impossible to stop the service via the website, they want you to call, no doubt to be proselytized to continue the worthless service. (They do not respond to email at all). Now they are dunning me for late payments. I hope that this costs them more than the aggravation they have caused me. I couldn't recommend this scam to anyone, am ready to report them for fraudulent billing practices.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I had Fax87 and they were bought out by eFax. eFax is horrible. They charged me 3x my monthly charge. This was even after I called them back about my bill. Beware of these scammers. If you use this service I would advise a prepaid credit card because who knows what charges would be next.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Do not ever deal with these scumbags. This is the worst and most unethical service I have ever seen in my life. I was charged for a year's service after asking to cancel. I then asked for a refund and they refused. Criminals!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My experience is much like the others. I was once a satisfied Fax87 customer before it was purchased by eFax. Once these guys get your credit card number, you will be charged for services that you don't use and never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I became an eFax customer because they bought out the original fax service I had been using and my fax number. The sales rep, Brittany **, flat out lied about the plan and I was charged 3 times more than quoted. When I tried to follow up, she NEVER returned my phone calls or my emails. I wrote emails, called customer service. No support. I was then directed to her supervisor, Christian **, and he has never returned my calls either. I finally had no choice but to cancel my subscription and ported my fax number that I have had for over 6 years. Today I received a collection letter for the erroneous billing AND an additional "fee" of $115 for canceling their service and porting my fax number to the new fax provider. How can this fraudulent company be allowed to prey on consumers without any consequences. Their office is listed to be in California. Why isn't this company being investigated for consumer fraud?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I signed up for a free trial with a right to cancel within 30 days. After a week I found that I did not like the service, so I called the customer service number to cancel. They provided a cancel # but I got a charge on day 30th. I disputed and they refused to refund, saying that there was not cancellation! I still have the cancel # on hand. How can I get a refund? This is clearly fraudulent practice of eFax.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was a customer of Fax87 which is a fax service for my small business and paying $50 a year for unlimited faxing. Fax87 was purchased by eFax (owned by j2 Global, Inc.) and when my 1 year agreement expired they automatically charged my credit card $99 without my permission. When I received my credit card bill I contacted the company to ask why the price had doubled and to tell them I would have changed services if I knew about the price change. The customer representative said he would credit my account $48.21 (which was done) and I would have the same service. When I received the email from the customer service representative the service was not the same, I was going to be charge for each fax in and out. The next business day I changed my service to Nextiva and my number was held up by eFax and they would not allow port.

Every time I called they told me that I do not own my fax number that I have for almost 10 years and they own the number because they purchase Fax87, therefore they will not port my number. After many weeks of aggravation, I finally got someone in the Canada office to allow my number to be ported. This process took about a month and a half and many hours of wasted time. When I asked for the balance of my money back, they refused. I disputed this with Capital One (my credit card company) and eFax would not give me a refund, but Capital One honored the credit. eFax committed multiple frauds in this situation and I would like this to be investigated to protect future consumers and have Capital One get their money back.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Exactly the same experience as everyone else and I’m going to report them to action fraud police, and I’ll keep on fighting this, this is an obvious fraud and if the UK government does allow such companies take advantage of people’s trust and vulnerability, and not giving me any protection of somehow by law! Then, (just no comment on that one!!!)??? I’m absolutely fuming, these days even car insurance companies rip you off as there’s no law to slap their butts for it and it’s always the customer paying out funds and make their pockets fatter, and also carry the fear of 10000 threats that they falsely imply to people most times! Car insurance has been a mana factory one for long time now and technically I have no other options than zipping my mouth and bite my lips offs, but I take no ** for any other thieve stealing my money.

How ** smart they are as they freely fool you into an apparently legit contract which you’re forced to oblige till the end, and their excuse is those creepy small prints, written on 191 pages - seriously??? I bet they’ve not ever read it all themselves neither. And especially with eFax, they don’t even bloody provide you with a service or they just do it all wrong - as my only one fax was sent to god knows whomever around the world, my very critically important identification docs??! I wish people whom affected by their scandals, would support me with this and back me up so thrift eFax may be punished by the law for their criminal actions - know what, only one hand clapping won’t make enough loud sound!!?

eFax Company Information