1.03/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

249 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When I attempted to cancel, I was told (via online chat) that the 'online tool is down - please contact us later'. I recorded the conversation and told them that I would report it. As of now, I do not know how to free my credit card from this company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Signed up for “free eFax.” After downloading the app I got a welcome letter stating I would be charged 19.99 per month... Have tried phoning and chat, phone says chose option 1 or 2, then goes on to tell you they didn’t get your choice and disconnect you. With chat they kept asking the same questions, then tell you they have to transfer you to a different dept… (in my subscriptions on my phone, I have charges for 2 eFax and another eFax plus being billed for close to fifty bucks). After an hour and a half on the phone and chat, said ** it. Talk about ** for customer service, eFax sucks!

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I signed up for a trial and go to cancel later on the chat. After sitting through a couple "Please don't go. We will give you this," bs Dan said it would be canceled and an email sent. Ok so I got the email and later went back to see if it was really canceled and if I could remove my card and guess what? Dan claimed not to know me and my account wasn't canceled. Go figure... So after copying and pasting the cancellation email word by word and going off about how they are no better than Indian tech support scammers he again said, "Sorry your account will be canceled for real this time." I honestly doubt that and if I get charged at a later date I will update my review.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This company claimed that they were refunding my money and canceling my service. Now I've discovered that they have charged me again and are claiming that they don't do refunds. This is exactly the same complained that hundreds of people apparently have had about this company. What is the purpose of this site if not to stop companies like this one?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I started a trial but called to cancel the trial. The thieves at eFax went ahead and billed me and would not cancel despite emails to them. They then tried to say that I called to cancel but then agreed to a free month. Nothing even close took place. My conversation was quick and simple... I cancelled and that is all. The folks at eFax are thieves - DO NOT USE THEM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I used to use eFax years ago, on a trial basis, I decided to see if I can have a need for it again. However, I found that I didn't need this service at this time, so I canceled, my service was canceled right away, however, BEWARE apparently, what they claim is free is not, if you cancel THEY WILL BILL YOU AND IS NON REFUNDABLE. Nothing you can do, in this day and age this practice is not one we need to use or put up with, too many options out there. Ring Central is actually a great option and I will no longer use EFAX. Not because I was unhappy with their service but because their practices are unethical as a company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I signed up for an account to use for work. When I left the job, I sent in my cancellation notice, giving 10 days notice before the next billing cycle. The company charged me for the following month anyway. When I contacted them to have their mistake corrected and my money refunded, I was told that it was against company policy to refund my monthly charge- all this on the 3rd of the month, mind you. I asked for an email address to which I could send the original cancellation email and was given a link to their website. The services I got were actually pretty good- I likely would have used them again- that is until I was met with a customer service team that showed me the company's true colors. If you won't give them your money, they'll just take it anyway.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I've been with the service for many years, but over the last two years, I started receiving junk faxes and spam. I did some research and found some better options, so after I was automatically billed for a recurring year, I immediately called to cancel a few days later. They refused and have worked hard to defeat my dispute with American Express. So for the moment, the charge stuck, but then when I logged in, they cancelled my account anyway. In a nutshell, this is a company that is hoping to lock you into recurring billing with zero flexibility, even though at the very top of their agreement it clearly states: "CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE TO CANCEL ANYTIME". Be warned before signing up with eFax.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I am a lawyer with infrequent need for fax but had an occasional need for VM when first signed up for Maxemail years ago. When eFax acquired Maxemail, they billed on top of Maxemail's billing so I was billed twice within three months for the identical service. They used an expired credit card, on which I was nonetheless billed and dunned for nonpayment (when I didn't realize they would be billing again). Ever since eFax took over, I have received only junk faxes (which I am unable to block) and any VM messages I am told to go to eFax site and log in. When I do so and attempt to get VM messages, I see the same email that announced the fact of the VM --- but no VM. TOTALLY WORTHLESS for VM.

I allowed my account to lapse when the credit card was replaced. It is impossible to stop the service via the website, they want you to call, no doubt to be proselytized to continue the worthless service. (They do not respond to email at all). Now they are dunning me for late payments. I hope that this costs them more than the aggravation they have caused me. I couldn't recommend this scam to anyone, am ready to report them for fraudulent billing practices.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I had Fax87 and they were bought out by eFax. eFax is horrible. They charged me 3x my monthly charge. This was even after I called them back about my bill. Beware of these scammers. If you use this service I would advise a prepaid credit card because who knows what charges would be next.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Do not ever deal with these scumbags. This is the worst and most unethical service I have ever seen in my life. I was charged for a year's service after asking to cancel. I then asked for a refund and they refused. Criminals!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My experience is much like the others. I was once a satisfied Fax87 customer before it was purchased by eFax. Once these guys get your credit card number, you will be charged for services that you don't use and never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I became an eFax customer because they bought out the original fax service I had been using and my fax number. The sales rep, Brittany **, flat out lied about the plan and I was charged 3 times more than quoted. When I tried to follow up, she NEVER returned my phone calls or my emails. I wrote emails, called customer service. No support. I was then directed to her supervisor, Christian **, and he has never returned my calls either. I finally had no choice but to cancel my subscription and ported my fax number that I have had for over 6 years. Today I received a collection letter for the erroneous billing AND an additional "fee" of $115 for canceling their service and porting my fax number to the new fax provider. How can this fraudulent company be allowed to prey on consumers without any consequences. Their office is listed to be in California. Why isn't this company being investigated for consumer fraud?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I signed up for a free trial with a right to cancel within 30 days. After a week I found that I did not like the service, so I called the customer service number to cancel. They provided a cancel # but I got a charge on day 30th. I disputed and they refused to refund, saying that there was not cancellation! I still have the cancel # on hand. How can I get a refund? This is clearly fraudulent practice of eFax.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was a customer of Fax87 which is a fax service for my small business and paying $50 a year for unlimited faxing. Fax87 was purchased by eFax (owned by j2 Global, Inc.) and when my 1 year agreement expired they automatically charged my credit card $99 without my permission. When I received my credit card bill I contacted the company to ask why the price had doubled and to tell them I would have changed services if I knew about the price change. The customer representative said he would credit my account $48.21 (which was done) and I would have the same service. When I received the email from the customer service representative the service was not the same, I was going to be charge for each fax in and out. The next business day I changed my service to Nextiva and my number was held up by eFax and they would not allow port.

Every time I called they told me that I do not own my fax number that I have for almost 10 years and they own the number because they purchase Fax87, therefore they will not port my number. After many weeks of aggravation, I finally got someone in the Canada office to allow my number to be ported. This process took about a month and a half and many hours of wasted time. When I asked for the balance of my money back, they refused. I disputed this with Capital One (my credit card company) and eFax would not give me a refund, but Capital One honored the credit. eFax committed multiple frauds in this situation and I would like this to be investigated to protect future consumers and have Capital One get their money back.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Exactly the same experience as everyone else and I’m going to report them to action fraud police, and I’ll keep on fighting this, this is an obvious fraud and if the UK government does allow such companies take advantage of people’s trust and vulnerability, and not giving me any protection of somehow by law! Then, (just no comment on that one!!!)??? I’m absolutely fuming, these days even car insurance companies rip you off as there’s no law to slap their butts for it and it’s always the customer paying out funds and make their pockets fatter, and also carry the fear of 10000 threats that they falsely imply to people most times! Car insurance has been a mana factory one for long time now and technically I have no other options than zipping my mouth and bite my lips offs, but I take no ** for any other thieve stealing my money.

How ** smart they are as they freely fool you into an apparently legit contract which you’re forced to oblige till the end, and their excuse is those creepy small prints, written on 191 pages - seriously??? I bet they’ve not ever read it all themselves neither. And especially with eFax, they don’t even bloody provide you with a service or they just do it all wrong - as my only one fax was sent to god knows whomever around the world, my very critically important identification docs??! I wish people whom affected by their scandals, would support me with this and back me up so thrift eFax may be punished by the law for their criminal actions - know what, only one hand clapping won’t make enough loud sound!!?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Completely crap customer service. Absolutely impossible to cancel the service. They require you to phone them to cancel, for "security reasons", but if THAT was the real reason they would require you to phone them to OPEN the account to begin with. Well, for reason that are none of eFax's concern, I'm unable to use a phone. Which means I can't cancel.

Any attempt to cancel IN WRITING via email, only result in a boilerplate response, NO matter what you actually tell them in the email. They also, as an alternative, refer to a "chat", but the link to that chat doesn't work. Some genius at eFax have apparently decided that if your IP isn't in the US, then the chat link instead automatically redirect you to the eFax homepage of the country that IP belongs to. So it's impossible to actually reach specific pages, when you're not in the US.

No one actually responds to any questions or concerns; The only response of any communication is the same boilerplate response, directing me to use methods of contact that is IMPOSSIBLE for me to use! Any type of online service like this, should OF COURSE have an option directly in the client area to cancel the subscription, which shouldn't need ANY human intervention from their side to actually cancel the service. It's possible to create services, and to upgrade services, all automatically. The ONLY reason to NOT have the same to CANCEL the service, is because the company isn't serious, and their ONLY concern is to make it difficult for the customers to cancel.

If they actually cared even 1% of their customers, they would have an option to cancel the subscription directly in the client area, without the need for human intervention. It would be both much safer for the customers, making sure the service actually IS cancelled without having to take anyone's word for it, AND would require much less work from the provider side, since they wouldn't need a lot of people handling phone calls and actually input the cancellation in the system. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I canceled this service by calling and they charged my card anyway. When I chatted for a refund and cancellation. I was told they would cancel and then proceeded to tell me that they wouldn't refund. I had already canceled but then they go on and cancel BUT they give no refunds!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I got the service because I needed to send a single fax a couple of years ago. I thought I might need it for my business so I planned to keep it for a couple months to see. I then thought in July 2018 that I had previously canceled and was surprised I was still being billed so I tried to cancel it again. I couldn't get anyone on the phone so I left a message as instructed to on their site. I noticed that I was still being billed at the beginning of October. So I have canceled again. They said they could not do it retroactively because I couldn't produce a cancellation number. Because they never sent me one. I even showed them the record of my sending the message in July and could show that I have never sent or received any faxes in YEARS. This is a nickle and dime you to death company that doesn't care about customer satisfaction. Stay Away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I cancelled my credit card within the 30 day free trial period. eFax continued to charge my credit card. After several months of being charged for a service that I didn't use after cancelling, I just recently noticed the charges on my credit charge account. I contacted them about the charges and they said I didn't understand their 30 day free policy. DO NOT use their service, I know I canceled the service prior to the 30 days. Conveniently they have a NO REFUND POLICY. EFAX is a RIP OFF COMPANY, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE AND THEN CANCEL. THEY WILL HAVE NO RECORD OF YOUR CANCELLING THE SERVICE!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This company is one of the greatest FRAUD there is!!! They trick you in giving your credit card number by giving a free trial of 30 days. After that 'free' trial it's IMPOSSIBLE to cancel! You can phone, email or chat, they will still abuse your credit card for fraud purposes. So, the only way is to get a NEW credit card number. Also, they are very busy on ** to put them full with false reviews. And if you do put a bad review on it, they will contact you trying to 'help' you solve the issue. But actually they are trying to push you to say something 'wrong' so that they can let the review removed by ** SO for everyone here, put a bad review on ** AND don't react to eFax personnel if they want to 'help' you. And also eFax doesn't work at all!!! Big fraud!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I used this fax service one time in order to send a fax which was too large for my normal fax system. I tried to cancel prior to the trial and it said it wasn't able to find my account with my email address. I tried the chat feature and was re-queued after the "sales" person found they couldn't help me. After being disconnected from this feature twice, I called in. 35 minutes later, I had someone ask me to verify my account either thru my email address or by the credit card I used to pay. After giving them both (which were both correct), they said they were unable to verify me, and there wasn't anything else they could do for me. Never mind I was calling them from the number listed on the account. Because, clearly, some people have nothing better to do than to sit on hold to cancel the random online fax services of other people.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor (the guy I was talking to didn't like the "**" word much, but he hadn't given almost an hour and a half of his time to canceling this unwanted service)... After another 10 minutes of elevator music, I hung up, ready to call the bank and cancel the debit card they were taking the money off of. To their only credit, the supervisor actually called me back. He had me send him an email for verification that I was actually the person trying to cancel my own account, and he said it was canceled. For the absolute absurdity of what happened with this account when trying to cancel, I wouldn't use this service or any others offered by this company. If you have to force your clients to stay with you by making it nearly impossible to cancel, you are clearly not offering a very good service. Best of luck J2.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Was customer with sFax, then J2 purchased and now called eFax; a horrible company to deal with. Fulfilled agreement first of 2018, this is September and still trying to cancel account. J2's Customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. Recommend finding another option and avoiding J2 like the plague. Beware, J2 owns eFax, eVoice, FuseMail, Campaigner, KeepItSafe and OneBox -- based on our eFax experience I would not use any of these products or services.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

What a horrible company! Their customer service is absolutely the worst, only eclipsed by their frustratingly bad customer policies. I have been a customer for years and the service has recently gone downhill in a big way. I decided to cancel but because they charge you annually, they have your money. I tried to cancel halfway through the year and they will let you cancel (in theory) but they will NOT refund any of your money. I have 4 numbers so that's $560 annually and my potential refund is $280. They essentially told me, "Too bad. We have your money and we are not giving the unused portion back." I likened it to canceling your cable or telephone service. Why should you keep my money when you are no longer providing a service? No response other than, that's the way it is. Stay far away from the guys and MetroFax as that is the same company. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I caution anyone considering using this service to avoid it like the plague. As noted by other reviewers it DOES NOT WORK. My experience was similar to others. I signed up and tried to use it but gave up. I was charged for this experience. When I tried to log in it said my account was temporarily suspended. I tried reaching out to the company but found it difficult to reach someone. When I did they asked for some credit card details which I was concerned about sharing. I warn all potential users... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have been trying since early July to cancel my eFax account. I have tried chat (who says to call), I call and sit on hold for an hour, I try email and get a response that says I have to cancel via chat or email. I am getting billed $16.95 twice a month. I finally saw that there was a number on my bank statement so I just called it (1-323-817-3205) and while it asked for the last four numbers of my credit card (which I didn't have - wasn't sure which card), I ended up with a customer service rep. I forwarded her my emails about trying to cancel in July. I requested credit for all charges from July, Aug, Sept. She spoke to her supervisor who told her to tell me that I should have tried harder to cancel and they wouldn't give me a refund. I did manage to get my account(s?) cancelled but am now filing a complaint with the Attorney General of CA (**) and I suggest everyone having issues do the same thing!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Signed up for Trial. Logged on to portal prior to Trial expiration to cancel. Charged after Trial. Called to cancel and was told the last 4 of CC# were invalid and without it they couldn't cancel. To call back. I knew it was the correct one since I was looking at the card. I received another charge and e-mailed them again requesting to cancel. Received no reply to my e-mail. Charged again. Called and still my last 4 of CC# was "invalid" so how are they able to charge me if the number is invalid?

This time, the rep. sends me an e-mail code as a verification alternative. Why didn't the other rep do this on my first call? I asked for a refund and the response was, "You are getting no refund. You were supposed to call not e-mail or submit via portal. Read the EULA!" I asked, "What if you hadn't sent me a verification code? Was I going to keep getting charged even though the CC# is correct?" Response, "If we can verify you we can't cancel. You will be charged." If at least I was credited for the last charge, which was 1 day after I call to dispute. But no, they canceled and kept the charge even though the service is being used.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I signed up for free trial and I've been trying to cancel for over an hour now. First time I called lady asked for my info. I gave it to her. She asked what can she help me with. I told her I wanted to cancel. She then acted like she couldn't hear me anymore then hung up.I called right back. Told this guy I wanted to cancel. He told me I had to email them. I told him that it says when in my email from them I had to call to cancel for security reasons. He flat out refused. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. He told me 'no' then hung up. I called back. This guy tells me he can't verify my account after 5 minutes of going back and forth with him me asking to talk to a manager. He finally says, "I'll transfer you." I have been on hold 56 minutes now and counting. No one has picked up. Do not sign up with them. I beg you. You will be sooo sorry you did!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had eFax for awhile and I never had a problem although it was a bit pricey. I saw an ad for MetroFax at a much lower monthly rate so I decided to try them. I had problems right from the start just logging on, so I wrote to cancel. A month later, I received a bill. I wrote again, they told me I had to call (so they could entice me with better offers). I called the MetroFax number they emailed me and asked to cancel. I then purchased 1000 business cards with my loyal eFax number on them and before they arrived I find out my eFax was canceled. I called and was told that I canceled it. Apparently they're the same company and just picked one fax number, the one I wanted and canceled it.

They couldn't get my original fax number back, so I said that I didn't want either service now because I was displeased on how much this had complicated things. A month later, I'm billed for MetroFax again! I called to complain and was told that I should have stated that I wanted the MetroFax account closed and not the eFax. What? I'm supposed to know that the # you sent me under Metrofax email that I should say, "Hey, if you own any other fax companies make sure you don't cancel my number." Wow!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Really really customer-unfriendly company. There's no way to cancel online or by email and they keep charging my credit card every week. eFax requests you to contact them by phone to cancel their service and make it extra hard to stop the membership. Don't even think of signing up with them!

eFax Company Information