1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

238 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My experience is much like the others. I was once a satisfied Fax87 customer before it was purchased by eFax. Once these guys get your credit card number, you will be charged for services that you don't use and never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I became an eFax customer because they bought out the original fax service I had been using and my fax number. The sales rep, Brittany **, flat out lied about the plan and I was charged 3 times more than quoted. When I tried to follow up, she NEVER returned my phone calls or my emails. I wrote emails, called customer service. No support. I was then directed to her supervisor, Christian **, and he has never returned my calls either. I finally had no choice but to cancel my subscription and ported my fax number that I have had for over 6 years. Today I received a collection letter for the erroneous billing AND an additional "fee" of $115 for canceling their service and porting my fax number to the new fax provider. How can this fraudulent company be allowed to prey on consumers without any consequences. Their office is listed to be in California. Why isn't this company being investigated for consumer fraud?

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I signed up for a free trial with a right to cancel within 30 days. After a week I found that I did not like the service, so I called the customer service number to cancel. They provided a cancel # but I got a charge on day 30th. I disputed and they refused to refund, saying that there was not cancellation! I still have the cancel # on hand. How can I get a refund? This is clearly fraudulent practice of eFax.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was a customer of Fax87 which is a fax service for my small business and paying $50 a year for unlimited faxing. Fax87 was purchased by eFax (owned by j2 Global, Inc.) and when my 1 year agreement expired they automatically charged my credit card $99 without my permission. When I received my credit card bill I contacted the company to ask why the price had doubled and to tell them I would have changed services if I knew about the price change. The customer representative said he would credit my account $48.21 (which was done) and I would have the same service. When I received the email from the customer service representative the service was not the same, I was going to be charge for each fax in and out. The next business day I changed my service to Nextiva and my number was held up by eFax and they would not allow port.

Every time I called they told me that I do not own my fax number that I have for almost 10 years and they own the number because they purchase Fax87, therefore they will not port my number. After many weeks of aggravation, I finally got someone in the Canada office to allow my number to be ported. This process took about a month and a half and many hours of wasted time. When I asked for the balance of my money back, they refused. I disputed this with Capital One (my credit card company) and eFax would not give me a refund, but Capital One honored the credit. eFax committed multiple frauds in this situation and I would like this to be investigated to protect future consumers and have Capital One get their money back.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Exactly the same experience as everyone else and I’m going to report them to action fraud police, and I’ll keep on fighting this, this is an obvious fraud and if the UK government does allow such companies take advantage of people’s trust and vulnerability, and not giving me any protection of somehow by law! Then, (just no comment on that one!!!)??? I’m absolutely fuming, these days even car insurance companies rip you off as there’s no law to slap their butts for it and it’s always the customer paying out funds and make their pockets fatter, and also carry the fear of 10000 threats that they falsely imply to people most times! Car insurance has been a mana factory one for long time now and technically I have no other options than zipping my mouth and bite my lips offs, but I take no ** for any other thieve stealing my money.

How ** smart they are as they freely fool you into an apparently legit contract which you’re forced to oblige till the end, and their excuse is those creepy small prints, written on 191 pages - seriously??? I bet they’ve not ever read it all themselves neither. And especially with eFax, they don’t even bloody provide you with a service or they just do it all wrong - as my only one fax was sent to god knows whomever around the world, my very critically important identification docs??! I wish people whom affected by their scandals, would support me with this and back me up so thrift eFax may be punished by the law for their criminal actions - know what, only one hand clapping won’t make enough loud sound!!?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Completely crap customer service. Absolutely impossible to cancel the service. They require you to phone them to cancel, for "security reasons", but if THAT was the real reason they would require you to phone them to OPEN the account to begin with. Well, for reason that are none of eFax's concern, I'm unable to use a phone. Which means I can't cancel.

Any attempt to cancel IN WRITING via email, only result in a boilerplate response, NO matter what you actually tell them in the email. They also, as an alternative, refer to a "chat", but the link to that chat doesn't work. Some genius at eFax have apparently decided that if your IP isn't in the US, then the chat link instead automatically redirect you to the eFax homepage of the country that IP belongs to. So it's impossible to actually reach specific pages, when you're not in the US.

No one actually responds to any questions or concerns; The only response of any communication is the same boilerplate response, directing me to use methods of contact that is IMPOSSIBLE for me to use! Any type of online service like this, should OF COURSE have an option directly in the client area to cancel the subscription, which shouldn't need ANY human intervention from their side to actually cancel the service. It's possible to create services, and to upgrade services, all automatically. The ONLY reason to NOT have the same to CANCEL the service, is because the company isn't serious, and their ONLY concern is to make it difficult for the customers to cancel.

If they actually cared even 1% of their customers, they would have an option to cancel the subscription directly in the client area, without the need for human intervention. It would be both much safer for the customers, making sure the service actually IS cancelled without having to take anyone's word for it, AND would require much less work from the provider side, since they wouldn't need a lot of people handling phone calls and actually input the cancellation in the system. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I canceled this service by calling and they charged my card anyway. When I chatted for a refund and cancellation. I was told they would cancel and then proceeded to tell me that they wouldn't refund. I had already canceled but then they go on and cancel BUT they give no refunds!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I got the service because I needed to send a single fax a couple of years ago. I thought I might need it for my business so I planned to keep it for a couple months to see. I then thought in July 2018 that I had previously canceled and was surprised I was still being billed so I tried to cancel it again. I couldn't get anyone on the phone so I left a message as instructed to on their site. I noticed that I was still being billed at the beginning of October. So I have canceled again. They said they could not do it retroactively because I couldn't produce a cancellation number. Because they never sent me one. I even showed them the record of my sending the message in July and could show that I have never sent or received any faxes in YEARS. This is a nickle and dime you to death company that doesn't care about customer satisfaction. Stay Away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I cancelled my credit card within the 30 day free trial period. eFax continued to charge my credit card. After several months of being charged for a service that I didn't use after cancelling, I just recently noticed the charges on my credit charge account. I contacted them about the charges and they said I didn't understand their 30 day free policy. DO NOT use their service, I know I canceled the service prior to the 30 days. Conveniently they have a NO REFUND POLICY. EFAX is a RIP OFF COMPANY, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE AND THEN CANCEL. THEY WILL HAVE NO RECORD OF YOUR CANCELLING THE SERVICE!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This company is one of the greatest FRAUD there is!!! They trick you in giving your credit card number by giving a free trial of 30 days. After that 'free' trial it's IMPOSSIBLE to cancel! You can phone, email or chat, they will still abuse your credit card for fraud purposes. So, the only way is to get a NEW credit card number. Also, they are very busy on ** to put them full with false reviews. And if you do put a bad review on it, they will contact you trying to 'help' you solve the issue. But actually they are trying to push you to say something 'wrong' so that they can let the review removed by ** SO for everyone here, put a bad review on ** AND don't react to eFax personnel if they want to 'help' you. And also eFax doesn't work at all!!! Big fraud!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I used this fax service one time in order to send a fax which was too large for my normal fax system. I tried to cancel prior to the trial and it said it wasn't able to find my account with my email address. I tried the chat feature and was re-queued after the "sales" person found they couldn't help me. After being disconnected from this feature twice, I called in. 35 minutes later, I had someone ask me to verify my account either thru my email address or by the credit card I used to pay. After giving them both (which were both correct), they said they were unable to verify me, and there wasn't anything else they could do for me. Never mind I was calling them from the number listed on the account. Because, clearly, some people have nothing better to do than to sit on hold to cancel the random online fax services of other people.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor (the guy I was talking to didn't like the "**" word much, but he hadn't given almost an hour and a half of his time to canceling this unwanted service)... After another 10 minutes of elevator music, I hung up, ready to call the bank and cancel the debit card they were taking the money off of. To their only credit, the supervisor actually called me back. He had me send him an email for verification that I was actually the person trying to cancel my own account, and he said it was canceled. For the absolute absurdity of what happened with this account when trying to cancel, I wouldn't use this service or any others offered by this company. If you have to force your clients to stay with you by making it nearly impossible to cancel, you are clearly not offering a very good service. Best of luck J2.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Was customer with sFax, then J2 purchased and now called eFax; a horrible company to deal with. Fulfilled agreement first of 2018, this is September and still trying to cancel account. J2's Customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. Recommend finding another option and avoiding J2 like the plague. Beware, J2 owns eFax, eVoice, FuseMail, Campaigner, KeepItSafe and OneBox -- based on our eFax experience I would not use any of these products or services.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

What a horrible company! Their customer service is absolutely the worst, only eclipsed by their frustratingly bad customer policies. I have been a customer for years and the service has recently gone downhill in a big way. I decided to cancel but because they charge you annually, they have your money. I tried to cancel halfway through the year and they will let you cancel (in theory) but they will NOT refund any of your money. I have 4 numbers so that's $560 annually and my potential refund is $280. They essentially told me, "Too bad. We have your money and we are not giving the unused portion back." I likened it to canceling your cable or telephone service. Why should you keep my money when you are no longer providing a service? No response other than, that's the way it is. Stay far away from the guys and MetroFax as that is the same company. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I caution anyone considering using this service to avoid it like the plague. As noted by other reviewers it DOES NOT WORK. My experience was similar to others. I signed up and tried to use it but gave up. I was charged for this experience. When I tried to log in it said my account was temporarily suspended. I tried reaching out to the company but found it difficult to reach someone. When I did they asked for some credit card details which I was concerned about sharing. I warn all potential users... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have been trying since early July to cancel my eFax account. I have tried chat (who says to call), I call and sit on hold for an hour, I try email and get a response that says I have to cancel via chat or email. I am getting billed $16.95 twice a month. I finally saw that there was a number on my bank statement so I just called it (1-323-817-3205) and while it asked for the last four numbers of my credit card (which I didn't have - wasn't sure which card), I ended up with a customer service rep. I forwarded her my emails about trying to cancel in July. I requested credit for all charges from July, Aug, Sept. She spoke to her supervisor who told her to tell me that I should have tried harder to cancel and they wouldn't give me a refund. I did manage to get my account(s?) cancelled but am now filing a complaint with the Attorney General of CA (**) and I suggest everyone having issues do the same thing!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Signed up for Trial. Logged on to portal prior to Trial expiration to cancel. Charged after Trial. Called to cancel and was told the last 4 of CC# were invalid and without it they couldn't cancel. To call back. I knew it was the correct one since I was looking at the card. I received another charge and e-mailed them again requesting to cancel. Received no reply to my e-mail. Charged again. Called and still my last 4 of CC# was "invalid" so how are they able to charge me if the number is invalid?

This time, the rep. sends me an e-mail code as a verification alternative. Why didn't the other rep do this on my first call? I asked for a refund and the response was, "You are getting no refund. You were supposed to call not e-mail or submit via portal. Read the EULA!" I asked, "What if you hadn't sent me a verification code? Was I going to keep getting charged even though the CC# is correct?" Response, "If we can verify you we can't cancel. You will be charged." If at least I was credited for the last charge, which was 1 day after I call to dispute. But no, they canceled and kept the charge even though the service is being used.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I signed up for free trial and I've been trying to cancel for over an hour now. First time I called lady asked for my info. I gave it to her. She asked what can she help me with. I told her I wanted to cancel. She then acted like she couldn't hear me anymore then hung up.I called right back. Told this guy I wanted to cancel. He told me I had to email them. I told him that it says when in my email from them I had to call to cancel for security reasons. He flat out refused. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. He told me 'no' then hung up. I called back. This guy tells me he can't verify my account after 5 minutes of going back and forth with him me asking to talk to a manager. He finally says, "I'll transfer you." I have been on hold 56 minutes now and counting. No one has picked up. Do not sign up with them. I beg you. You will be sooo sorry you did!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had eFax for awhile and I never had a problem although it was a bit pricey. I saw an ad for MetroFax at a much lower monthly rate so I decided to try them. I had problems right from the start just logging on, so I wrote to cancel. A month later, I received a bill. I wrote again, they told me I had to call (so they could entice me with better offers). I called the MetroFax number they emailed me and asked to cancel. I then purchased 1000 business cards with my loyal eFax number on them and before they arrived I find out my eFax was canceled. I called and was told that I canceled it. Apparently they're the same company and just picked one fax number, the one I wanted and canceled it.

They couldn't get my original fax number back, so I said that I didn't want either service now because I was displeased on how much this had complicated things. A month later, I'm billed for MetroFax again! I called to complain and was told that I should have stated that I wanted the MetroFax account closed and not the eFax. What? I'm supposed to know that the # you sent me under Metrofax email that I should say, "Hey, if you own any other fax companies make sure you don't cancel my number." Wow!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Really really customer-unfriendly company. There's no way to cancel online or by email and they keep charging my credit card every week. eFax requests you to contact them by phone to cancel their service and make it extra hard to stop the membership. Don't even think of signing up with them!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

There is no way to cancel an account. No mention on the website, even when you sign in. No mention in help section, no option in phone tree. There is also no way to remove your credit card. This has to be illegal.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

If you give them your credit card info. for a trial period, they will play all games if you want to cancel your account. They told me I would go to a chat link if I want to cancel my account, there is no chat link in their website. The only solution to block them from charging you is to call your bank and file a dispute!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

They got one star as I couldn't give them none... I've signed up for a trial, which I didn't want to continue. When then tried to cancel I was first acknowledged my email but then I was advised to call their CS number to make the cancellation that way. The first time I tried I had to give up after an hour being on hold and the second time after 40 minutes... It was only the third time when I persisted on waiting for over an hour I've finally managed to speak to someone (with a quite bad English) who cancelled my service but couldn't refund my charge even though it was just 2 days into my "service" I didn't want. They advised me that they would escalate this to their manager and would call me back later on. But guess what, no one has never got back to me and I don't really want to spend another hour of my life waiting for someone at eFax to pick up the phone... Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I own a business. We signed up with fax.com many years ago and it was acquired by efax.com so we came to them by default. We are currently switching all of our phones over to an all inclusive VOIP system which includes fax services. We have numerous customers, employees and vendors as well as a lot of pre-printed business cards, stationery, and other advertising media already on hand. We did not want to have to change any of our established phone or fax numbers which we have had for years in this process.

All cell phone companies and landline companies released our phone numbers and allowed them to be portaged over to our new service EXCEPT (you guessed it) eFax. They kept telling me their customer service policy does not allow it unless we portaged the number in originally or if I can provide documentation from the original company we started with, Fax.com, that states they would allow us to portage our number out. I do not have the original customer agreement between me and fax.com from many years ago. (Of course.)

From this answer I learned two things. 1) They could actually portage my number out if they wanted to. By this I mean there is no actual barrier prohibiting them from releasing it, they just don't want to because they think it will force me to stay rather than going through the long hard difficult and expensive process of changing my fax number for a business. THEY ARE VERY VERY VERY WRONG. It will just create a very annoyed ex-customer. 2) Their customer service is terrible. Their agents are not given the tools to help anyone. They listen to what you say and then refer you back to the customer agreement in a well worn and monotonous tone that cries out "this is all I do all day long".

From reading the other reviews here it appears this is not a company you want to do business with. There are far better and cheaper electronic fax services to deal with than these guys. Also, we have had several problems not being able to receive faxes from actual fax machines over the years. Not sure if anyone else has seen this problem. CAUTION: STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

They acknowledge receipt of my intent to cancel, but would not honor it. They would not refund me. They said I had to call their number. I waited over 45 minutes and still no one answered. They get you in and then make it impossible to cancel. They need to be investigated by the government and shut down.

Resolution response: July 26, 2018

Finally, after I had gone public here, someone from the company emailed me and told me they had cancelled the service and removed my account as originally requested. Furthermore, in opposition to my statement, the company asserts being fully GDPR compliant.

Original review: July 25, 2018

This company does not comply with GDPR rules. There is no way the service can be canceled or the credit card information can be revoked. I sent 4 emails within two weeks to efaxhelp@mail.efax.com without ever getting a response. I called and was given the phone number **, which I tried several times. First, you have to wait and wait for minutes, and then the call is cut off automatically before anyone speaks to you.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I signed up for a free trial as I needed to fax a document and needed access to a fax. I proceeded to follow the instructions on how to cancel the trial. Then a month later I am charged the $16.95 to my CC. So I called and they tell me my account is still active. Then I had to proceed thru the same exact process and questioning/sales pitch to keep me as a customer in order to cancel it again on top of the fact they won't provide a refund as I went over the trial period... Because they failed to cancel my account the first time I called.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My wife and I at no time agreed to the $16.95/month fee that the company has been charging us over a prior 10 month period. Our original agreement for 500 fax pages per month was $35.88/yr which equates to $2.99/month. The company had no right to alter the terms of our original agreement. If it had any integrity at all the representative would have understood our circumstance and in good faith issued a refund. Instead he decided to provide poor customer service and disregard our legitimate complaint.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Their user interface is awful but the real issue is that when attempting to cancel the service, they deliberately make it unreasonably difficult. You cannot cancel through the account interface, nor can you cancel through the email they provide. They have a narrow window of cancellation that requires talking to a salesperson. Despite repeated requests for cancellation, they still have not canceled my account.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been an eFax subscriber for about 8 years and am happy with the product, but their customer service is from outside the country (India?) and I just got off the phone with someone who could not understand me, nor could I understand them, even asking him politely to repeat himself or speak more slowly. He was impatient and a bit irritable, despite me being quite patient.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been using the eFax product successfully for over 2 years now. My last successful transmission was June 21st. After an unsuccessful attempt today I contacted the company 3x by phone and once via their live chat room. I explained that I was unable to login using the security pin eFax had given to me. The response was "account not found". I was told by the reps I must provide them with the last 4 digits on the charge card used. I explained that I had no idea what card or when the card was used for billing.

Each rep told me to call the bank. How can I call the bank when I have no idea what bank issued the card. Furthermore I explained that the email associated with the account is no longer active. I gave them the old email account for verification and the current email account to use. They repeatedly told me to check the old, inactive account, for the confirmation email they were sending me. I asked how can I respond to your email when the email address is INACTIVE. I asked them for any other question and would be more than happy to provide the answer. I gave them the 4 digit pin eFax gave me when I enrolled in the service and was told that was not sufficient. Each Rep told me eFax could not help me. In all my years in business I have NEVER encountered such incompetence and not to mention being hung up on. Never again would I consider or recommend using eFax. I am interested in a more reputable service for anyone who might have a suggestion.

eFax Company Information