1.09/5
Based on 57 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 25, 2018

193 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2018

I tried to cancel my account within the first month of the so called free trial. I received a reply stating that my account was being refunded and would take about a week. That was in February. In April I noticed that I had been charged again then looked back and the same was true for March. Customer service as well as the supervisor were useless. They had my email from February but SAID they emailed that I had to CALL to cancel. This was NEVER received though I did receive other promotional emails from them. They have now SUPPOSEDLY canceled the account but will not refund any monies even though I only used their product once during the free trial.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had an account with Onlinefaxes.com for over a year and right before they were bought out by eFax.com they overcharged my credit card $99.09. I didn't catch it till this year. Now no one can help me since the account was transferred after the charge. The biggest problem is that there is no one that you can talk to if you do have a problem and no one that can help you. I canceled my subscription and filled a complaint with the BBB.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I switched to eFax looking for a reliable service for my mission-critical incoming fax service. The next day that my number ported over to eFax I noticed an email stating that my account is suspended until I can email them a picture of the Credit Card on file. My fax number in the meantime STOPPED working. This is absolutely ridiculous. My whole incoming fax operation completely came to a halt. Instead of having reliable fax service it completely STOPPED. Calling their main number to get assistance was the other part of the nightmare. After being on hold for 20 minutes an underpaid Pakistani or Indian answered my call. Communicating with him was an absolute nightmare because of the obvious language barriers. At the end after asking for a supervisor someone with a little more decency answered my call but still stated that I need to email a copy of the credit card and that it would take up to 24 hours to re-enable.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I needed a fax service and made the mistake of choosing eFax, why? I have been attempting to cancel for over a year, emails sent, over and over, they then say I have to call. I now know why, it takes the most ardent, hard-nosed individual to go through the repeated people then long wait times (over 15 minutes now). A class action suit must happen. I am taking this up with the NYS Attorney General’s office, and FTC. I am writing this while on hold. I'm not going anywhere and if this takes an hour, I will have documentation of the call and length!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Signed up for the trial thinking it would be easy to cancel (you know it's 2018), after no response on either email or phone I just cancelled the card I used to sign up. Today I got an email from them saying they would cancel my eFax account if they didn't get paid and I should contact them to sort it out. That's not happening though, so if you have a hard time cancelling your eFax account just cancel your credit card and order a new one from your bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: March 22, 2018

They do not require verification to activate your account and take your credit card online. But then they do not accept cancellation online. I emailed asking for cancellation, waited two days and did not receive a response. Called to cancel and required my credit card to cancel. So they make opening an acct easy but closing it difficult.

Original review: March 20, 2018

For us, Vitelity has turned out to be cheaper, better and having good customer service. eFax: Their TOS forbids you to move your number to another carrier, in spite of the federal number portability act. If someone tries to move your number, eFax will shut it down. They're trying to hold your fax number prisoner. eFax is 8 times more expensive than Vitelity. eFax makes random extra charges. eFax allows only 5 people in my company to send faxes. We have more employees than that. Customer service is terrible, if you can ever get through. When I took over here, the company had 14 eFax numbers costing over $250/mo. I've reduced that to 6 eFax numbers, and I'm looking forward to the day when we're off of eFax.

Original review: March 19, 2018

DON'T BOTHER WORKING WITH EFAX. I DID FOR MANY YEARS AND THE PRODUCT IS BAD AND THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. Believe it or not I have been a customer of eFax for over 15 years. For the last 12 months (or more) the service has not been working correctly. I was not able to send outgoing faxes using the service. About two months ago I contacted eFax to let them know about the technical issues and asked for a refund for the last 12 months of service. They verified in my Efax log that I did have a number of failed attempts over the last 12 months trying to send faxes. Therefore, the representative told me he would provide me with 6 months refund and 6 months credit for future service (12 months total). I was happy with this solution. Three weeks later a refund still had not appeared on my account. I called back.

After waiting on hold for a long time the representative told me he did not see the 6 months refund in the notes. He said he would apply for me to get a refund and email me a response. Over one week later he emailed saying the refund was declined. I emailed back asking him to cancel my account immediately. 9 days later, still no email response from him whatsoever. I called today to cancel the service, briefly talked to a representative telling them I wanted to cancel the service, then waited on hold for 25 minutes (not once did anyone check back with me while I was on hold so I had no idea if anyone would ever pick up), then finally someone picked up and I was able to cancel the service and receive a confirmation # that it was canceled. What a disappointing experience after being a loyal customer for 15+ years!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Needed to send a fax to my doctor and didn't have a fax machine available so decided to get a subscription. eFax was advertising a first month free deal so I entered my details for that with the intention of cancelling the subscription as soon as I had sent the one fax to my doctor. Once so I realised that their website did not actually have a page for unsubscribing from their service, however, they did have a contact address which I sent an email to explaining that I wanted my subscription cancelled before the next month began and therefore I would be charged. I had no reply and so sent more emails requesting my subscription be cancelled. Months went on and for each month I was charged for the monthly rate and still didn't get a reply from their contacts team. Eventually I called a contact number on their website, where I explained this situation to the man on the other end who then agreed to cancel my subscription, this was 2 weeks ago.

However, I have just woken up this morning to find another bill sent to my email address and the money taken out of my bank account so clearly the employee didn't in fact cancel my subscription. I've actually had to end up going to the bank and blocking this company from my account. I highly recommend anyone AVOIDING this company. Poor customer service and very dishonest!!

Original review: March 9, 2018

On December 4th 2017 I found myself in need of sending a fax. I no longer have a fax machine. Go figure. So I set off to try to find a service that I had heard existed an automated email service. That day I found 2 such services. Now because of the nature and urgency of my emails I used both services. eFax and another one, in which 1 worked and the other did not. The one that did not was obviously eFax. Now several days later I found myself in need of sending another fax with the same urgency. In which case again I used both services again. And again the eFax service did not function, but the other did. I then called eFax and asked them to cancel my account where I was attended to by a very rude customer service rep that effectively informed me that I would be billed regardless what I did to cancel the service. Then to back up my attempt to cancel my account I sent emails to the company asking them to cancel the account.

Now come to today March 2018. I again checked my bank only to see another charge accrued to my account. So, I called again, this time they gave me a cancellation number, then I was told that they had no record of my previous call and that without a record of the call they could not refund the monies that they have already stolen from me. In my opinion they are just another group of thieves. If I had a dime for every thieving company on the net, I would be a billionaire. So sad.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I had an account with OnlineFaxes.com, which was acquired by eFax. I paid $59.40 for an annual service with OnlineFaxes.com. I recently logged into my new Efax account and the annual renewal was at $359.99! What??? I did the online chat with customer service to cancel it and then they offered a plan for $9.95 a month for 150 pages incoming and 150 pages outgoing or $50 annual that included 30 pages incoming and 10 cents a page for each outgoing. I asked him/her if they have these options to tell me WHY I was put into a $359.99 annual account then instead of one of the lower cost plans. They informed me it was an error during the migration process. When I stated that I now did not trust them and was disgusted with their business practices, he/she then stated that I should've received an email with the new pricing from OnlineFaxes.com (which I did not!).

So which is it?? Was it an "error during migration" or was the new pricing emailed to me from the old company and I should've known about it? It cannot be both!!!! Giving me a line of BS. I insisted that they cancel my account as I do not trust them now. I then asked what would've happened if I did not catch it and was billed... they stated the management would "consider" a refund. Consider??? So, I think they have put the OnlineFaxes.com acquired customer base into an outrageous $359.99/year plan by default, hoping that they will not notice and then get billed.

I am sure they would come back with that it is non-refundable in the terms and conditions. People will be STUCK with a $359.99 charge and, more than likely, not get refunded. Shame on Efax for this!!! I am so disgusted with the rep's double talk and also eFax putting me in a $359 default account, instead of putting me in one of the lower cost options to begin with. How could you guys do this to your customers??? Maybe the Federal Trade Commission needs to be made aware of this business practice.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I used the service for several years and never had any issues. I last used eFax in March 2016. I canceled on April 12, 2016. The cancellation was confirmed via email from them. In January 2018 I noticed a charge by eFax.com, I telephoned them and again cancelled the service. It was charged again in February 2018 and I again called canceling my service and requesting reimbursement. I was able to locate $233.00 in fraudulent charges by the service and brought this to their attention. eFax informed me they would credit my account $49.99 on March 2, 2018. On March 5, 2018 they credited me $9.99 and not the $49.99 they told me they would refund. I also pointed out several months where I had been charged multiple times for the same monthly service.

The service worked for what it was, however their customer service is at the minimum lazy and unethical bordering on illegal. In conclusion, even with the proof cancellation in April 2016 which eFax acknowledged they continued to engage in their deceptive practices by offering to reimburse me $49.99 and then followed up by only refunding one month's service.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Do not deal with company. Won't stop charging your credit card even after you email them to stop your subscription. They'll reply an email to you to tell you to call a number which is always on hold. With good subscription companies, you can simply cancel it usually through an online dashboard with one click. The bad ones make it very difficult, this company is the worst one. Read other review online who got on the phone with their support, "When you go to cancel, the customer support also play a ton of word games. In my case, it got so ridiculous that they claimed they didn't understand such basic statements as "cancel my account immediately!" and "Cancel my account today!" Like others, I eventually had to get my bank to block eFax from making any charges against my card." I'm now filing chargeback for the these payments.

Original review: March 2, 2018

This company is the absolute worst!!! My fax machine went down so I ported my fax number to eFax while it was being repaired. Now after four months and threats of legal action they still will not release the number and claim every time that they've never even received a request even though I've been CC'D on every single submission. Do not use this company ever! Terrible customer service, under-handed business practices!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Years back I had Maxemail for fax service. eFax purchased Maxemail and I could no longer send or receive faxes that was June of 2016. Last Saturday Feb 10, 2018 eFax took money out of my account Maxemail had on file. I called eFax customer service and it was a complete scam. They told me they would cancel my account, but would not refund the money, even though I never authorized eFax to take funds nor did I ever use their service. The customer service rep said it is like television service, just because you don't turn your TV on doesn't mean you don't have to pay for television service. I tried to explain I didn't order eFax service, but he didn't care. He told me I would need to call corporate for a refund, but wouldn't give me their phone number. eFax is a complete scam and should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had been a customer of eFax since 1999, but last year I decided that I no longer needed their services, so I called them to cancel before my yearly renewal came up. They advised me that I should call back and cancel once the year was over (2017), which runs from February to February each year. Well, as soon as I saw the recurrent charge to my American Express, I called to cancel in February, as they had told me. I cancelled my services, and they told me that I was not going to get a refund for the yearly charge for the fax services for 2018.

Of course I asked why, and they told me that in the very small print of the contract stipulates that even if you cancel, there is no refund. So, now they billed me for services for 2018 that I not going to receive, when have anybody ever heard of such BS? I think this practice should be illegal, as basically what they are doing is stealing money from unsuspected victims like myself. My cancellation references are ** and **. I will make it a life mission to tell all of my friends and business partners never to sign up for eFax, as it is a ripoff scam that should be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The eFax service worked well but I decided that I don't need a fax service. I emailed the company and requested they cancel my account. Because I do most of my purchases online, I didn't notice that they require a phone call in order to cancel the service. I ended up being charged another month before I realized that I needed to call them.

Software-as-a-service is usually purchased completely online without the need for intervention by a call-center. eFax uses an outdated procurement model. As such, I would NOT use this service again unless or until they move to a pure cloud model in which customers can purchase online, modify the account features as their needs require and cancel anytime without penalty. In addition, when I did make the phone call, the agent showed no empathy, was curt and was difficult to understand.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

It works, but be prepared to never cancel your subscription. No way to cancel your subscription online. Have to call a phone number (yeah, we are in 2018) who never picks up. Had to cancel my credit card to prevent further payment. And I still receive monthly invoices even after they finally canceled the subscription, seeing my credit card was not active anymore. Go ahead, guys. Keep trying. Pitiful.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had an eFax account. I was charged $169 after cancelling. I called to gain a refund and was told there was no record of cancelling. Rather than argue, I asked to cancel at the current date and ended up speaking to "Chris" a supervisor whom played endless word games and refused to acknowledge that I wanted to cancel immediately. All three representatives I spoke to refused to refund my money (even though I'd not used the services), including a pro-rated refund. They also made aggressive attempts to ensure that my account remained "active".

My belief was that they were trying to arrange things so that I would be charged for the services again when the renewal date came up since I had an "active" account. The company has no system to cancel via their website. (I suspect this is what happened with my first cancellation.). When I stated I was going to work through my bank, the supervisor "Chris" threatened me by stating he would file a fraud charge against my credit because in his view, I'd said I wanted the service by signing up for it and later stated I didn't. THIS IS A COMPANY OF THIEVES!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Signed up eFax for free 30-day trial. Credit card was charged US$26.95 immediately after the sign up. Called the customer service and was told they only offer the free trial to US clients. They were able to convert my overseas account to US free trial one and refunded me within 2 weeks. Must thank their customer service for the support and rectifying the error. Highly recommended if you are in US???

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Super shady business practice here. These crooks don't send email invoices, so one easily forgets about the subscription. Then they make it super challenging to cancel the account and won't refund a dime. Stay well clear of these criminals.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Efax purchased the company I was using and very happy with. First, they lost all my saved faxes. Second, they continued to delete my saved 'sent' and 'received' faxes after 30 days - no archiving even though they claim to do so. Third - fax inbox inaccurate - says you have zero faxes and I have had up to 5 when notifier said zero. Fourth - no one ever answers the phone. I cannot wait to find a different reputable vendor. Unless you enjoy frustration and poor service steer clear of this company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

This subsidiary of J2 Fax "upgraded" my account to receive faxes, sent me spam faxes, then billed me for receiving them. By the time I realized they were billing me for this spam I had burned through all my initial credit and run up another $30 in charges. Their contact mechanism is designed to prevent users from having any record of the contact. I discovered the importance of this when I disputed their charges; they falsely claimed that I had not first gone to them, as required in my terms of service. The business model is built on treating customers as marks. And they do it knowingly. Arguably the $50 they extracted from me for sending one fax was done legally, other than lying to my credit card issuer about my not having contacted them first. One could say I allowed this to happen by not being more alert. Does that mean it's not internet fraud? I would argue that's semantics, like me describing my losses as "tuition."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I signed up for eFax Plus last month. They charged me $26.95. About 7 faxes I sent to a Manila number failed. They charged me an additional $10 because according to their rules, even if the faxes you send failed, every 30 seconds increment of it trying to send the fax is equal to 1 page. Wtf?! They charged me $36.95 for a service that did not work. Learned my ** lesson. I used a local fax instead to send my faxes. Did not even spend over $3.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

The one and only company who will NOT allow a consumer to cancel without phoning them during THEIR business hours. I have attempted to cancel numerous times, to no avail. Consistently being told I would have to phone them. Only to phone, remain on hold or unable to leave a message. No email, chat session or message would suffice. I feel like a hostage to their outdated, obsolete services. The worst company I have dealt with. Avoid them at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Bottom Line: eFax makes it very difficult to cancel your account, so do not sign up unless you really need the service. Longer: eFax offers a free trial but you have to provide a credit card number. If you wish to cancel, there is no way to do it from your online account; you must talk with a live customer service rep. Their hold times can be extremely long; my last call was over 40 minutes, just to get through, and then another 15+ minutes which they verified my account, put me on hold again for some unknown reason, and then finally cancelled. Their practices are clearly designed to slow account cancellations as much as possible.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I signed up for the free service, as I needed to actually fax documents. This rarely happens anymore, and I certainly did not have need for a fax service for more than a day. However, though you can sign up online; you cannot cancel online. You can only cancel by phone. When I went to cancel, it was outside of customer service hours. Needless to say, I forgot and got hit for another month. Because I used an account, in which, I leave a very low balance, they charged through and I got hit for the overdraft. My ONE fax cost me $70. Much could have been avoided by me remembering to call during their hours. However, if they allowed me to unsubscribe to the service the same way as I subscribed, I would have had NO charges.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had an account with online faxes for about 2 years at 9.99 a month. Sent the same amount of faxes I do now and never went over the limit. Once eFax took it over I started magically going over the limit and getting billed $10-30 extra per month for about a month or 2. They changed me to a higher limit at $16.95 per month and then canceled my account but still billed me $17. This company is shady as heck. They need to be shut down. Just called them and they won't help me. Asked for a supervisor and there is none (yeah right).

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

This company would not email, or FAX us a receipt for our subscription. Continuously claimed that our company did not have an account, could not find our account, even with address, phone number, fax number, and credit card - although there was no problem billing the account... So after blocking the charges they sent account detail to the bank who then sent us a copy. All four representatives I spoke to on 3 separate occasions had the same disgusting attitude. It's absolutely deplorable. We will not be doing business with eFax and I encourage others to follow suit.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I paid $16.95 for their monthly service that includes 150 free faxes with more than 150 charged at $.10 each. I was then charged 96.95 for a month which I didn't send more than 150 faxes. A customer representative told me I sent 200 faxes and their pricing is actually based on fax attempts and time that their machines are working. Even if I had sent 200 pages (the number of actual faxes sent was closer to 60) by their own posted fee structure, I should have only been charged $.10 per page which would have been $5. I instead got charged $80 on top of the monthly 16.95 fee.

Very deceptive billing, he told me these fees are in the fine print of the service agreement and they will not refund any of my extra charges. I cancelled right away, thankfully only after getting taken advantage of for the one month. I don't know how they stay in business ripping people off each month with hidden fees, maybe because they make it so difficult to cancel through an offshore call center. I hope this review can save someone from getting taken advantage of by this unethical business.

eFax Company Information