1.11/5
Based on 54 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

eFax

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

179 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Years back I had Maxemail for fax service. eFax purchased Maxemail and I could no longer send or receive faxes that was June of 2016. Last Saturday Feb 10, 2018 eFax took money out of my account Maxemail had on file. I called eFax customer service and it was a complete scam. They told me they would cancel my account, but would not refund the money, even though I never authorized eFax to take funds nor did I ever use their service. The customer service rep said it is like television service, just because you don't turn your TV on doesn't mean you don't have to pay for television service. I tried to explain I didn't order eFax service, but he didn't care. He told me I would need to call corporate for a refund, but wouldn't give me their phone number. eFax is a complete scam and should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had been a customer of eFax since 1999, but last year I decided that I no longer needed their services, so I called them to cancel before my yearly renewal came up. They advised me that I should call back and cancel once the year was over (2017), which runs from February to February each year. Well, as soon as I saw the recurrent charge to my American Express, I called to cancel in February, as they had told me. I cancelled my services, and they told me that I was not going to get a refund for the yearly charge for the fax services for 2018.

Of course I asked why, and they told me that in the very small print of the contract stipulates that even if you cancel, there is no refund. So, now they billed me for services for 2018 that I not going to receive, when have anybody ever heard of such BS? I think this practice should be illegal, as basically what they are doing is stealing money from unsuspected victims like myself. My cancellation references are ** and **. I will make it a life mission to tell all of my friends and business partners never to sign up for eFax, as it is a ripoff scam that should be illegal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The eFax service worked well but I decided that I don't need a fax service. I emailed the company and requested they cancel my account. Because I do most of my purchases online, I didn't notice that they require a phone call in order to cancel the service. I ended up being charged another month before I realized that I needed to call them.

Software-as-a-service is usually purchased completely online without the need for intervention by a call-center. eFax uses an outdated procurement model. As such, I would NOT use this service again unless or until they move to a pure cloud model in which customers can purchase online, modify the account features as their needs require and cancel anytime without penalty. In addition, when I did make the phone call, the agent showed no empathy, was curt and was difficult to understand.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

It works, but be prepared to never cancel your subscription. No way to cancel your subscription online. Have to call a phone number (yeah, we are in 2018) who never picks up. Had to cancel my credit card to prevent further payment. And I still receive monthly invoices even after they finally canceled the subscription, seeing my credit card was not active anymore. Go ahead, guys. Keep trying. Pitiful.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had an eFax account. I was charged $169 after cancelling. I called to gain a refund and was told there was no record of cancelling. Rather than argue, I asked to cancel at the current date and ended up speaking to "Chris" a supervisor whom played endless word games and refused to acknowledge that I wanted to cancel immediately. All three representatives I spoke to refused to refund my money (even though I'd not used the services), including a pro-rated refund. They also made aggressive attempts to ensure that my account remained "active".

My belief was that they were trying to arrange things so that I would be charged for the services again when the renewal date came up since I had an "active" account. The company has no system to cancel via their website. (I suspect this is what happened with my first cancellation.). When I stated I was going to work through my bank, the supervisor "Chris" threatened me by stating he would file a fraud charge against my credit because in his view, I'd said I wanted the service by signing up for it and later stated I didn't. THIS IS A COMPANY OF THIEVES!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Signed up eFax for free 30-day trial. Credit card was charged US$26.95 immediately after the sign up. Called the customer service and was told they only offer the free trial to US clients. They were able to convert my overseas account to US free trial one and refunded me within 2 weeks. Must thank their customer service for the support and rectifying the error. Highly recommended if you are in US???

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Super shady business practice here. These crooks don't send email invoices, so one easily forgets about the subscription. Then they make it super challenging to cancel the account and won't refund a dime. Stay well clear of these criminals.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Efax purchased the company I was using and very happy with. First, they lost all my saved faxes. Second, they continued to delete my saved 'sent' and 'received' faxes after 30 days - no archiving even though they claim to do so. Third - fax inbox inaccurate - says you have zero faxes and I have had up to 5 when notifier said zero. Fourth - no one ever answers the phone. I cannot wait to find a different reputable vendor. Unless you enjoy frustration and poor service steer clear of this company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

This subsidiary of J2 Fax "upgraded" my account to receive faxes, sent me spam faxes, then billed me for receiving them. By the time I realized they were billing me for this spam I had burned through all my initial credit and run up another $30 in charges. Their contact mechanism is designed to prevent users from having any record of the contact. I discovered the importance of this when I disputed their charges; they falsely claimed that I had not first gone to them, as required in my terms of service. The business model is built on treating customers as marks. And they do it knowingly. Arguably the $50 they extracted from me for sending one fax was done legally, other than lying to my credit card issuer about my not having contacted them first. One could say I allowed this to happen by not being more alert. Does that mean it's not internet fraud? I would argue that's semantics, like me describing my losses as "tuition."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I signed up for eFax Plus last month. They charged me $26.95. About 7 faxes I sent to a Manila number failed. They charged me an additional $10 because according to their rules, even if the faxes you send failed, every 30 seconds increment of it trying to send the fax is equal to 1 page. Wtf?! They charged me $36.95 for a service that did not work. Learned my ** lesson. I used a local fax instead to send my faxes. Did not even spend over $3.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

The one and only company who will NOT allow a consumer to cancel without phoning them during THEIR business hours. I have attempted to cancel numerous times, to no avail. Consistently being told I would have to phone them. Only to phone, remain on hold or unable to leave a message. No email, chat session or message would suffice. I feel like a hostage to their outdated, obsolete services. The worst company I have dealt with. Avoid them at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Bottom Line: eFax makes it very difficult to cancel your account, so do not sign up unless you really need the service. Longer: eFax offers a free trial but you have to provide a credit card number. If you wish to cancel, there is no way to do it from your online account; you must talk with a live customer service rep. Their hold times can be extremely long; my last call was over 40 minutes, just to get through, and then another 15+ minutes which they verified my account, put me on hold again for some unknown reason, and then finally cancelled. Their practices are clearly designed to slow account cancellations as much as possible.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I signed up for the free service, as I needed to actually fax documents. This rarely happens anymore, and I certainly did not have need for a fax service for more than a day. However, though you can sign up online; you cannot cancel online. You can only cancel by phone. When I went to cancel, it was outside of customer service hours. Needless to say, I forgot and got hit for another month. Because I used an account, in which, I leave a very low balance, they charged through and I got hit for the overdraft. My ONE fax cost me $70. Much could have been avoided by me remembering to call during their hours. However, if they allowed me to unsubscribe to the service the same way as I subscribed, I would have had NO charges.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had an account with online faxes for about 2 years at 9.99 a month. Sent the same amount of faxes I do now and never went over the limit. Once eFax took it over I started magically going over the limit and getting billed $10-30 extra per month for about a month or 2. They changed me to a higher limit at $16.95 per month and then canceled my account but still billed me $17. This company is shady as heck. They need to be shut down. Just called them and they won't help me. Asked for a supervisor and there is none (yeah right).

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

This company would not email, or FAX us a receipt for our subscription. Continuously claimed that our company did not have an account, could not find our account, even with address, phone number, fax number, and credit card - although there was no problem billing the account... So after blocking the charges they sent account detail to the bank who then sent us a copy. All four representatives I spoke to on 3 separate occasions had the same disgusting attitude. It's absolutely deplorable. We will not be doing business with eFax and I encourage others to follow suit.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I paid $16.95 for their monthly service that includes 150 free faxes with more than 150 charged at $.10 each. I was then charged 96.95 for a month which I didn't send more than 150 faxes. A customer representative told me I sent 200 faxes and their pricing is actually based on fax attempts and time that their machines are working. Even if I had sent 200 pages (the number of actual faxes sent was closer to 60) by their own posted fee structure, I should have only been charged $.10 per page which would have been $5. I instead got charged $80 on top of the monthly 16.95 fee.

Very deceptive billing, he told me these fees are in the fine print of the service agreement and they will not refund any of my extra charges. I cancelled right away, thankfully only after getting taken advantage of for the one month. I don't know how they stay in business ripping people off each month with hidden fees, maybe because they make it so difficult to cancel through an offshore call center. I hope this review can save someone from getting taken advantage of by this unethical business.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I tried to cancel the service after one day I was debited for another month of subscription, which was not my intention. I then called the customer service and was told it was not unfundable. After that, I made a complaint to them by emailing their customer service center but received no reply. I wonder if this company is fake or something, it's like they have never seen your money before and acting like a gangster. Please avoid this company as much as you can, it is disgusting.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

It seems that all of the reviews I have read have just confirmed that this company is taking money that they should not be taking from customers. I was with another fax company and eFax bought them out. When they transferred my contacts to their business contacts, there was a glitch, which added 10,000 additional contacts to my list. I was unaware of this and I sent out a company bulk fax. Next thing you know, they took over 700.00 from my account.

When I called to complain, I didn't get much help. They said it was my fault because I sent the advertisement out. I explained to them that there was never 10,000 contacts in my list. I only have around 500 contacts. They made it seem like my fault. I then told them that they were losing my business. I received a call from a guy named Jason who works for them and told me he would investigate and didn't bother to ever call back. During our conversation, he told me he would give me 2 months free for the trouble. Well, guess what??? I was charged again.

Once again, they began taking more money from my account, $10.00 at a time... Over and over. I had to literally shut down business accounts to stop the charges. When I called them back to completely close the account, once again I was offered 2 free months to stay with them. This was the most stressful and exhausting experience I have ever had with a company. These people are not taking responsibility for their own glitches and making the customer pay for their errors. They lie. I have now lost over 800.00 with this company in less than 2 months. I wish I could say something mean but I just turn them over to God and let him handle them for stealing. Now, I have lost everything. Thanks for taking Christmas from my kids!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The user interface is average. I wanted to give this a try and I was not blown away by it. When I tried to cancel my subscription I could not find any option online, I had to call them on the phone, be put on hold, and talk to 2 different people to unsubscribe. My phone tells me I spent 8 minutes on the phone. I would definitely not recommend.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

eFax (j2 Global) sent me 2 bills for October, 2017 & November, 2017, indicating that this account was transferred to them from OnlineFax.com or Fax87 in Oct. 2017. I did NOT have any active accounts with OnlineFax.com or Fax87.com since December 2016. I used OnlineFax.com free trial once back in October 2016, and have them cancel the account after that. I contacted the eFax with email explaining this, but they asked me to call the cancel the account. I called and cancel whatever the NON existing account there. They said they cancelled it, but now they sent me a bill for 19.98 for 2 months of service which I never had.

These people are real scam artist. They are preying on people with this small amount of charges and thinking that people will not complain and just pay for it. Their business should be closed, and they need to be prosecuted for fraudulent charges they create so that they can no longer use these tactics to collect money from people.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I downloaded a FREE eFax fax app. A month later iTunes is charging me for eFax's "automatic renewal" for a Plus account I did not know I signed up for just by downloading their "free" app. The first chat rep is how I realized I was scammed, he directed me to call billing directly if I had a problem. I never got through the waiting period of that phone call, so I decided to cut my losses and just cancel in the chat queue. The second chat rep answered and told me I cannot cancel until I'm ready for the account to be gone immediately. I said but I just got charged yesterday, I would like to finish what I paid for for the rest of the month, but not be charge for a future membership. They told me the minute I cancel everything is trashed. I asked, "When does your billing cycle begin/end. And so how does one cancel without Losing what they have paid for?"... and they just immediately disconnected on me. I have all screenshots of these conversations.

BEWARE: the scam is that you're downloading a FREE app which a month later they start charging through your iTunes account! {Not sure if iTunes is aware of this scam}. But even a kid can download this "free" app (as some parental lock options allow free app to download without permission or password) and accounts get charged after the trial period. It should not be listed as a free app. It's a bait and switch. The second half of the scam is not being able to cancel without losing what you paid for.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

When MaxEmail was acquired by eFax, I notified the company immediately and told them I wanted to cancel my account. On 8/30/16, I sent a message stating: "I do not wish to renew my service with eFax once my current contract with MaxEmail expires. Please do not charge my credit card on file." On 10/7/16, my credit card was charged $84. On 10/20/16, I sent a message stating: "I did NOT authorize this charge and if it's not reversed, I will dispute it and also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade Commission." I received a refund for $84. On October 7, 2017, my account was again charged $84. I never received a receipt or any notice of this payment taking place, other than the charge appeared on my credit card statement. Something should be done about this company.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This company withdrew 16.95 from my account for the month of November. I called to cancel my subscription. My account was supposed to remain intact until November 30th. ALl faxes were supposed to be retrievable until the end of the month. Instead, all stored faxes were erased anyway prior to the end of the month. When I called to request a refund, I was told they wouldn't refund my money although they breached the agreement. All received faxes were to remain accessible until the 30th. I was supposed to be able to send faxes until the 30th because I had already paid for the service for the month. They didn't restore the faxes and they kept my money. Do not do business with them. This company is one huge fraud and scam. Stay far away from them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

After signing up for trial membership I used it one time and decided it wasn’t for me and it’s impossible to get through the phone line to cancel so when I was finally able to get through they had already processed my payment and then when I told them I had only used this once and had tried to call and cancel they told me, "Sorry. We do not give refunds." It was 2 days after they billed me because the bill came in on a Saturday so I called them Monday. When I told them I was going to give them a bad review she said she would transfer me to higher level of service whatever that’s supposed to mean and then I held forever!!! I think there is like 2 people working for this company!! And then after sitting on hold forever I finally get to a guy who processes a refund request after 40 minutes of being on the phone with these people! A refund request!!! I will repost whether I actually get one or not!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

eFax service claimed to give 30 days free trial then deduct from your credit/debit cards after 30 days trial period. But they immediately deducted USD from my bank without giving free trial. Called this number and the US operator claimed I mistook the US website as overseas website, but he agreed to refund. Until last night still no refund, now they said it will take 2 to 4 weeks if "approves" the refund. Asked bank and advised me to change my card! Beware such overseas scam service linking to the USA. Latest email now they claimed there's no refund policy! Scam!! Cheat!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Efax took over my Maxemail account and has been terrible. I have missed calls repeatedly. People leave messages that I do not get. More recently, I changed my message when on vacation, then changed it back upon return and the out-of-office message continued to play intermittently. I was on the phone with Efax for one hour and they could not fix it. They said they would make a ticket and it could take 24 to 48 hours to fix. When I said that was unacceptable as this was how patients contacted me, they were snippy and rude and not at all helpful. They are a disaster. Avoid at all costs (Maxemail was great).

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Just as others have said, no response to email cancelling before first free month (like others too, I sent one fax that actually didn't work anyway). No way of getting confirmation of cancellation subsequently so called bank and ensured future charges were blocked. Seems like the bank were aware of this company from other’s problems. I'm amazed that the fraud people haven't been asked to look into this company, how do they continue to get away with it... amazingly I continue get ads from them continuously! Avoid!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I do NOT recommend eFax because it is impossible to cancel the so-called "free" use of the service before being billed $16.95 for the first month following a so-called "free" month of use. After sending a one page fax, I no longer needed the service. However, I couldn't cancel. It was only AFTER they had my money that I could actually access my account and the cancellation process. They would not credit the fee. There is something really wrong with this process.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I used the company's services once in a one-month trial period and after I was charged for the first billing period I contacted them immediately. Even though I showed that I didn't use the service more than once and was clearly not a customer they refused to offer a refund. Clearly just trying to make a buck from uncancelled subscriptions rather than valued customers.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I strongly recommend that you don't engage this service. The company does NOT DISCLOSE that it would be DIFFICULT to cancel the account before the one month period is up. In fact, they want you to CALL a number to cancel and YOU CAN BARELY HEAR the other person on the line. It is true, what another reviewer said: it is hard to understand the person you're talking to. I tried the free service and I canceled immediately after because the FAX DID NOT GO THROUGH. The after sale customer service is SHABBY.

I am worried because I haven't received a reference number for my cancellation from the agent I talked to. it's been almost one hour and I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED AN EMAIL CONFIRMING CANCELLATION of account. Without this cancellation, I could be charged their monthly fee for a NON PERFORMING PRODUCT with SHODDY SERVICE.

eFax Company Information

www.efax.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use