1.08/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

211 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

Their user interface is awful but the real issue is that when attempting to cancel the service, they deliberately make it unreasonably difficult. You cannot cancel through the account interface, nor can you cancel through the email they provide. They have a narrow window of cancellation that requires talking to a salesperson. Despite repeated requests for cancellation, they still have not canceled my account.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been an eFax subscriber for about 8 years and am happy with the product, but their customer service is from outside the country (India?) and I just got off the phone with someone who could not understand me, nor could I understand them, even asking him politely to repeat himself or speak more slowly. He was impatient and a bit irritable, despite me being quite patient.

eFax | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been using the eFax product successfully for over 2 years now. My last successful transmission was June 21st. After an unsuccessful attempt today I contacted the company 3x by phone and once via their live chat room. I explained that I was unable to login using the security pin eFax had given to me. The response was "account not found". I was told by the reps I must provide them with the last 4 digits on the charge card used. I explained that I had no idea what card or when the card was used for billing.

Each rep told me to call the bank. How can I call the bank when I have no idea what bank issued the card. Furthermore I explained that the email associated with the account is no longer active. I gave them the old email account for verification and the current email account to use. They repeatedly told me to check the old, inactive account, for the confirmation email they were sending me. I asked how can I respond to your email when the email address is INACTIVE. I asked them for any other question and would be more than happy to provide the answer. I gave them the 4 digit pin eFax gave me when I enrolled in the service and was told that was not sufficient. Each Rep told me eFax could not help me. In all my years in business I have NEVER encountered such incompetence and not to mention being hung up on. Never again would I consider or recommend using eFax. I am interested in a more reputable service for anyone who might have a suggestion.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I signed up for eFax in January 2018. I thought I would use the service enough to justify paying the monthly fee. Well, I realized I do not really need the service as often as I thought, so I wanted to cancel the service. eFax's own website states that the subscription can be canceled anytime without any hassle. Well, that was not my experience. I called in February 2018 to cancel. The rep was adamant about me keeping the service and offered to lower the monthly fee. I caved and agreed. But then in May 2018 when I realized that I have only sent three faxes in five months so I called eFax again to cancel because I could not justify paying for a service monthly that I do not use monthly. The rep was super nice and the entire process took less than three minutes. I asked for the cancellation confirmation number and the rep gave me it, which I wrote down as I am very diligent about keeping records.

However, I did think to myself after the phone call that "Wow, that was easy and painless. Almost too good to be true!" And that's exactly what happened because the next month in June 2018 my account was charged again. I contacted eFax but nobody responded to my inquiry. I had no other choice but to file a claim with my bank. The bank did an investigation and credited my account. The bank also blocked the company from charging my account again in the future. So, be aware! eFax seems to be shady as it is evidenced not only by what happened to me but also by other consumers negative feedbacks about the same issue. I do blame myself for not doing a background check on the company before signing up for the service. Lesson well learned!

Original review: June 20, 2018

I requested cancellation of my eFax free trial 2 days before the end of the free trial. It was 7 days later before I received an email with the information that I could not cancel through email. In the meantime, my credit card had been charged. I called the number in the email to request a refund and cancellation. They refused to refund the money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I just received a billing from eFax today, they had charged my card 3 days ago. I asked them to please cancel, and give me a refund, they said no. So no refunds even though I am not using the service! Interesting how they didn't send me a billing statement before they billed me, no way to cancel online - you have to cancel by phone. Getting through to them is not simple and they try to sell me on something else! Not interested in the customer, only themselves! Very disappointed. If I need a fax service again, I will be shopping somewhere else! It was simple they could have refunded for the month and the next time I need fax capabilities, I would have joined right back up!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Like many of the other reviews, I signed up for a "Free Trial." I sent them TWO emails to request my account be canceled which were ignored. Then they charged my credit card - now they are saying they may be "unable to refund" my money and even if they do, it will take 7-10 business days. Crooks. Any company that has to resort to stealing people's money is not worth doing business with.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I originally signed up with eFax because I thought I needed to send a fax for a specific situation and I didn't have a fax machine. For a number of reasons, I would have been willing to pay for a month's subscription, but planned to use the free trial for this purpose. I was never able to send the fax because you need to install software to use the service (at least you did in 2016) and that wasn't disclosed during the purchase process. I couldn't install the software due to using a company laptop. I immediately tried to cancel the service, well before the end of the trial period. There was no way to do that on-line. I called and was on hold for more than 15 minutes, and finally had to hang up. I called a few days later with time to kill and waited, again for entirely too long, until I finally talked to someone. I was told my account was canceled.

It wasn't. I didn't realize it until months later when I saw the charge on my card. Between those times, I had noticed that I was receiving spam "faxes" by email, but I thought it was a residual thing. I called again. Waited on hold again. Was told my account was canceled again. I kept getting spam and noticed the charge on my bill the next month. I called again. After being on hold for at least 10 minutes, I gave up, because my credit card number was being updated and I figured that would take care of that.

A couple of months later, I realize I'm STILL being billed (and yes, receiving spam), despite never giving them my new cc number. (How is it that my electric company and phone company need the number updated when a card expires, but an entirely optional shady business like this can have the number auto-updated?)

I again check to see if I can cancel on-line. Nope. I again call. This time I'm on hold for only about 8 minutes, but with a constant clicking sound that made me desperately want to hang up -- a form of Chinese Water Torture, it felt like. Once I talked to someone, the cancellation process took another 4 minutes! He had to put me on hold. Then he asked if I'd like a free month to make sure I really want to cancel. I HAVE NEVER USED THE SERVICE AND TRIED TO CANCEL TWO PREVIOUS TIMES and he KNEW that. WHY on earth would you offer me a free month at that point?

I get he was just doing his job. This is just reflective of my experience with the company overall. Bait and switch to begin with, then make it as difficult as possible to cancel, then try to take advantage of people to keep their money because it's too much of a pain-in-the-butt to turn it off. I'm pretty disgusted with the operations of this organization. I haven't tried other electronic fax companies. But based on this experience, I think it would be easier, faster, and cheaper to go out and buy a stinkin' fax machine if you REALLY need to fax something than deal with these shamsters.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I subscribed for eFax but since I didn't have any use for it, tried to terminate it, but the termination is hard (I think by purpose!). There is no single button that you can click to unsubscribe, you have to call or chat with someone for 15 mins! So, it passed and eFax charged me for a month for a service I didn't use even once, finally, I tried one more time and unsubscribed after 20 min chats. I asked for a refund for the service that I didn't touch once but they refused and said it's in our Term and Condition that if you pay we cannot refund! And now that I am here and seeing many reviews related to unsubscription I am thinking about maybe that's the largest source of income for eFax! :)

Original review: June 10, 2018

I needed a fax. eFax seemed to be good one. Till I wanted to cancel subscription. I found out there is NO WAY for a person not able to speak on the phone to cancel subscription. Sent them emails. They never give response. Finally cancelled the credit card.

Original review: June 7, 2018

When I started with Ufax I realized that the service was not going to work for me and canceled the service. Apparently eFax bought Ufax and reactivated my service and charged me over $100.00 for something I never used or knew it was active. I tried to explain how rotten their company is but they didn't care. What a rip off.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If you do choose to sign up to send a free fax you will be unable to do so. There are 'errors' that cannot be fixed and whatever you are trying to send will never get sent. Then! They will sell your 'fax' number to whatever list they have and you will get spammed with fax delivery emails from solicitors. When trying to cancel this service I had nothing but issues with customer service, you cannot cancel on the website, you cannot remove your email address from your account. They have your information locked down and you can't even unsubscribe to the emails. After a very unproductive hour, I have them going to spam but will take greater lengths to get my data out of their system.

Original review: June 1, 2018

eFax is awful. TOTAL and COMPLETE SCAM. You have to literally wait on line for twenty minutes or more to cancel a trial subscription, after which they REPEATEDLY try to keep you and even upsell you. Lol. It's unreal. It is awkward and time-consuming. Stick with the free or one-dollar, pay-as-you-go fax services rather than joining this J2 Global eFax scam.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The IRS of all places suggested this vendor for a one-time tax document and I have not been able to cancel for months. They put you on hold forever and do not answer emails. Buyer beware! Horrible customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Don't EVER start a free trial with EFAX. The service is good BUT if you want to stop the subscription this is NOT possible. They tell you you have to call, but when you call you NEVER get the right person. When you email they tell you you have to call. The only way to stop them is to change the number of your credit card! SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: May 12, 2018

*FREE TRIAL IMPRISONMENT* I signed up for a free trial, sent one fax page, which was barbarically difficult and promptly canceled the service. Or so I thought. I have email proof and correspondence from them, as well as their Facebook team. For over ten months now I’ve been billed $16.95 a month, and due to the amount didn’t notice it was still coming out until today. I spent two phone calls holding over 1.5 hours only to be told that, "Ohhhh no you have to call to cancel." They verified and read verbatim the emails so they have record of it, but since I didn’t back up my cancelation through a lengthy phone call this is all my fault and they refuse to credit the months - about $170 back to me.

I see their terrible ratings everywhere and blame myself for trusting them: I could of bought a fax machine with that cost and threw it out for cheaper than what they’ve taken from me. I sent a test fax, cancelled multiple times and feel robbed. Stay away, and good luck finding empathy over the phone, I swear there are two guys on the phone in a living room when you speak with them and hear the phones going off.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We tried eFax for 3 months. We found the service to be more time consuming than just faxing via our fax machine. I have been trying to cancel my service back to my original phone service for 3 weeks. I called eFax per instructions via email from them. I was told to ask for the porting department. I was told by the person who answered the phone I could not talk to the porting department. I was put on hold, she came back to phone and told me they had received the request from my prior carrier and it was rejected. I asked why rejected, she told me they do that automatically on the first request. RUN, do not walk away from doing business with this company. Wish there was a way to give them negative stars!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I was subscribed with OnlineFaxes. They charged 2.50 a month and since I use a fax maybe once a year that was the limit of what I was going to spend. eFax bought the company and relied on email to notify people that they were increasing the rate to 9.99. I don't watch my credit card every month other than to pay the balance. I know I should but I don't. So I didn't notice. They never got a positive response that I was ok with 9.99. I have send ZERO faxes for the last many months with OnlineFaxes so I didn't know that way either.

Finally I needed to send a fax. I did and then to add insult to injury they charged me $1.00 for the fax. I called and they claimed that it was to make sure my credit card was good. THAT AFTER CHARGING THE CREDIT CARD EVERY MONTH FOR 10 MONTHS OR MORE WITHOUT A FAX EVER BEING SENT. They relied on a negative response as their confirmation that I was ok with being charged almost 4 times as much for the service without ever confirming I even knew about it. I know I should have seen it sooner but regardless this is, in my opinion, fraudulent but of course it is too small an amount to ever go after. I wonder if a class action lawyer might find enough people to take this on.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I tried to cancel my account within the first month of the so called free trial. I received a reply stating that my account was being refunded and would take about a week. That was in February. In April I noticed that I had been charged again then looked back and the same was true for March. Customer service as well as the supervisor were useless. They had my email from February but SAID they emailed that I had to CALL to cancel. This was NEVER received though I did receive other promotional emails from them. They have now SUPPOSEDLY canceled the account but will not refund any monies even though I only used their product once during the free trial.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had an account with Onlinefaxes.com for over a year and right before they were bought out by eFax.com they overcharged my credit card $99.09. I didn't catch it till this year. Now no one can help me since the account was transferred after the charge. The biggest problem is that there is no one that you can talk to if you do have a problem and no one that can help you. I canceled my subscription and filled a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I switched to eFax looking for a reliable service for my mission-critical incoming fax service. The next day that my number ported over to eFax I noticed an email stating that my account is suspended until I can email them a picture of the Credit Card on file. My fax number in the meantime STOPPED working. This is absolutely ridiculous. My whole incoming fax operation completely came to a halt. Instead of having reliable fax service it completely STOPPED. Calling their main number to get assistance was the other part of the nightmare. After being on hold for 20 minutes an underpaid Pakistani or Indian answered my call. Communicating with him was an absolute nightmare because of the obvious language barriers. At the end after asking for a supervisor someone with a little more decency answered my call but still stated that I need to email a copy of the credit card and that it would take up to 24 hours to re-enable.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I needed a fax service and made the mistake of choosing eFax, why? I have been attempting to cancel for over a year, emails sent, over and over, they then say I have to call. I now know why, it takes the most ardent, hard-nosed individual to go through the repeated people then long wait times (over 15 minutes now). A class action suit must happen. I am taking this up with the NYS Attorney General’s office, and FTC. I am writing this while on hold. I'm not going anywhere and if this takes an hour, I will have documentation of the call and length!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Signed up for the trial thinking it would be easy to cancel (you know it's 2018), after no response on either email or phone I just cancelled the card I used to sign up. Today I got an email from them saying they would cancel my eFax account if they didn't get paid and I should contact them to sort it out. That's not happening though, so if you have a hard time cancelling your eFax account just cancel your credit card and order a new one from your bank.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They do not require verification to activate your account and take your credit card online. But then they do not accept cancellation online. I emailed asking for cancellation, waited two days and did not receive a response. Called to cancel and required my credit card to cancel. So they make opening an acct easy but closing it difficult.

Original review: March 20, 2018

For us, Vitelity has turned out to be cheaper, better and having good customer service. eFax: Their TOS forbids you to move your number to another carrier, in spite of the federal number portability act. If someone tries to move your number, eFax will shut it down. They're trying to hold your fax number prisoner. eFax is 8 times more expensive than Vitelity. eFax makes random extra charges. eFax allows only 5 people in my company to send faxes. We have more employees than that. Customer service is terrible, if you can ever get through. When I took over here, the company had 14 eFax numbers costing over $250/mo. I've reduced that to 6 eFax numbers, and I'm looking forward to the day when we're off of eFax.

Original review: March 19, 2018

DON'T BOTHER WORKING WITH EFAX. I DID FOR MANY YEARS AND THE PRODUCT IS BAD AND THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. Believe it or not I have been a customer of eFax for over 15 years. For the last 12 months (or more) the service has not been working correctly. I was not able to send outgoing faxes using the service. About two months ago I contacted eFax to let them know about the technical issues and asked for a refund for the last 12 months of service. They verified in my Efax log that I did have a number of failed attempts over the last 12 months trying to send faxes. Therefore, the representative told me he would provide me with 6 months refund and 6 months credit for future service (12 months total). I was happy with this solution. Three weeks later a refund still had not appeared on my account. I called back.

After waiting on hold for a long time the representative told me he did not see the 6 months refund in the notes. He said he would apply for me to get a refund and email me a response. Over one week later he emailed saying the refund was declined. I emailed back asking him to cancel my account immediately. 9 days later, still no email response from him whatsoever. I called today to cancel the service, briefly talked to a representative telling them I wanted to cancel the service, then waited on hold for 25 minutes (not once did anyone check back with me while I was on hold so I had no idea if anyone would ever pick up), then finally someone picked up and I was able to cancel the service and receive a confirmation # that it was canceled. What a disappointing experience after being a loyal customer for 15+ years!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Needed to send a fax to my doctor and didn't have a fax machine available so decided to get a subscription. eFax was advertising a first month free deal so I entered my details for that with the intention of cancelling the subscription as soon as I had sent the one fax to my doctor. Once so I realised that their website did not actually have a page for unsubscribing from their service, however, they did have a contact address which I sent an email to explaining that I wanted my subscription cancelled before the next month began and therefore I would be charged. I had no reply and so sent more emails requesting my subscription be cancelled. Months went on and for each month I was charged for the monthly rate and still didn't get a reply from their contacts team. Eventually I called a contact number on their website, where I explained this situation to the man on the other end who then agreed to cancel my subscription, this was 2 weeks ago.

However, I have just woken up this morning to find another bill sent to my email address and the money taken out of my bank account so clearly the employee didn't in fact cancel my subscription. I've actually had to end up going to the bank and blocking this company from my account. I highly recommend anyone AVOIDING this company. Poor customer service and very dishonest!!

Original review: March 9, 2018

On December 4th 2017 I found myself in need of sending a fax. I no longer have a fax machine. Go figure. So I set off to try to find a service that I had heard existed an automated email service. That day I found 2 such services. Now because of the nature and urgency of my emails I used both services. eFax and another one, in which 1 worked and the other did not. The one that did not was obviously eFax. Now several days later I found myself in need of sending another fax with the same urgency. In which case again I used both services again. And again the eFax service did not function, but the other did. I then called eFax and asked them to cancel my account where I was attended to by a very rude customer service rep that effectively informed me that I would be billed regardless what I did to cancel the service. Then to back up my attempt to cancel my account I sent emails to the company asking them to cancel the account.

Now come to today March 2018. I again checked my bank only to see another charge accrued to my account. So, I called again, this time they gave me a cancellation number, then I was told that they had no record of my previous call and that without a record of the call they could not refund the monies that they have already stolen from me. In my opinion they are just another group of thieves. If I had a dime for every thieving company on the net, I would be a billionaire. So sad.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I had an account with OnlineFaxes.com, which was acquired by eFax. I paid $59.40 for an annual service with OnlineFaxes.com. I recently logged into my new Efax account and the annual renewal was at $359.99! What??? I did the online chat with customer service to cancel it and then they offered a plan for $9.95 a month for 150 pages incoming and 150 pages outgoing or $50 annual that included 30 pages incoming and 10 cents a page for each outgoing. I asked him/her if they have these options to tell me WHY I was put into a $359.99 annual account then instead of one of the lower cost plans. They informed me it was an error during the migration process. When I stated that I now did not trust them and was disgusted with their business practices, he/she then stated that I should've received an email with the new pricing from OnlineFaxes.com (which I did not!).

So which is it?? Was it an "error during migration" or was the new pricing emailed to me from the old company and I should've known about it? It cannot be both!!!! Giving me a line of BS. I insisted that they cancel my account as I do not trust them now. I then asked what would've happened if I did not catch it and was billed... they stated the management would "consider" a refund. Consider??? So, I think they have put the OnlineFaxes.com acquired customer base into an outrageous $359.99/year plan by default, hoping that they will not notice and then get billed.

I am sure they would come back with that it is non-refundable in the terms and conditions. People will be STUCK with a $359.99 charge and, more than likely, not get refunded. Shame on Efax for this!!! I am so disgusted with the rep's double talk and also eFax putting me in a $359 default account, instead of putting me in one of the lower cost options to begin with. How could you guys do this to your customers??? Maybe the Federal Trade Commission needs to be made aware of this business practice.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I used the service for several years and never had any issues. I last used eFax in March 2016. I canceled on April 12, 2016. The cancellation was confirmed via email from them. In January 2018 I noticed a charge by eFax.com, I telephoned them and again cancelled the service. It was charged again in February 2018 and I again called canceling my service and requesting reimbursement. I was able to locate $233.00 in fraudulent charges by the service and brought this to their attention. eFax informed me they would credit my account $49.99 on March 2, 2018. On March 5, 2018 they credited me $9.99 and not the $49.99 they told me they would refund. I also pointed out several months where I had been charged multiple times for the same monthly service.

The service worked for what it was, however their customer service is at the minimum lazy and unethical bordering on illegal. In conclusion, even with the proof cancellation in April 2016 which eFax acknowledged they continued to engage in their deceptive practices by offering to reimburse me $49.99 and then followed up by only refunding one month's service.

eFax Company Information