1.00/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

156 eFax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

After signing up for trial membership I used it one time and decided it wasn’t for me and it’s impossible to get through the phone line to cancel so when I was finally able to get through they had already processed my payment and then when I told them I had only used this once and had tried to call and cancel they told me, "Sorry. We do not give refunds." It was 2 days after they billed me because the bill came in on a Saturday so I called them Monday. When I told them I was going to give them a bad review she said she would transfer me to higher level of service whatever that’s supposed to mean and then I held forever!!! I think there is like 2 people working for this company!! And then after sitting on hold forever I finally get to a guy who processes a refund request after 40 minutes of being on the phone with these people! A refund request!!! I will repost whether I actually get one or not!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

eFax service claimed to give 30 days free trial then deduct from your credit/debit cards after 30 days trial period. But they immediately deducted USD from my bank without giving free trial. Called this number and the US operator claimed I mistook the US website as overseas website, but he agreed to refund. Until last night still no refund, now they said it will take 2 to 4 weeks if "approves" the refund. Asked bank and advised me to change my card! Beware such overseas scam service linking to the USA. Latest email now they claimed there's no refund policy! Scam!! Cheat!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Efax took over my Maxemail account and has been terrible. I have missed calls repeatedly. People leave messages that I do not get. More recently, I changed my message when on vacation, then changed it back upon return and the out-of-office message continued to play intermittently. I was on the phone with Efax for one hour and they could not fix it. They said they would make a ticket and it could take 24 to 48 hours to fix. When I said that was unacceptable as this was how patients contacted me, they were snippy and rude and not at all helpful. They are a disaster. Avoid at all costs (Maxemail was great).

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Just as others have said, no response to email cancelling before first free month (like others too, I sent one fax that actually didn't work anyway). No way of getting confirmation of cancellation subsequently so called bank and ensured future charges were blocked. Seems like the bank were aware of this company from other’s problems. I'm amazed that the fraud people haven't been asked to look into this company, how do they continue to get away with it... amazingly I continue get ads from them continuously! Avoid!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I do NOT recommend eFax because it is impossible to cancel the so-called "free" use of the service before being billed $16.95 for the first month following a so-called "free" month of use. After sending a one page fax, I no longer needed the service. However, I couldn't cancel. It was only AFTER they had my money that I could actually access my account and the cancellation process. They would not credit the fee. There is something really wrong with this process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eFax?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I used the company's services once in a one-month trial period and after I was charged for the first billing period I contacted them immediately. Even though I showed that I didn't use the service more than once and was clearly not a customer they refused to offer a refund. Clearly just trying to make a buck from uncancelled subscriptions rather than valued customers.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I strongly recommend that you don't engage this service. The company does NOT DISCLOSE that it would be DIFFICULT to cancel the account before the one month period is up. In fact, they want you to CALL a number to cancel and YOU CAN BARELY HEAR the other person on the line. It is true, what another reviewer said: it is hard to understand the person you're talking to. I tried the free service and I canceled immediately after because the FAX DID NOT GO THROUGH. The after sale customer service is SHABBY.

I am worried because I haven't received a reference number for my cancellation from the agent I talked to. it's been almost one hour and I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED AN EMAIL CONFIRMING CANCELLATION of account. Without this cancellation, I could be charged their monthly fee for a NON PERFORMING PRODUCT with SHODDY SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

For about 8 months I haven't been able to use the service I pay for. I called customer service over 10 times and they had me get Verizon to come to my office telling me it was their fault as I have my faxes forwarded to their fax number which becomes an email attachment. I use these email attachments to send to insurance carriers. I've spent so many hours troubleshooting. Only to find out today, they no longer accept faxes.

None of the problems were because of what I was doing. When they were Maxemail they worked fine. Since eFax took over it's been horrid. I've lost business. It's caused many time delays to time sensitive information. I'm contacting my attorney as I can add up a few thousand dollars eFax has cost me. How are you eFax when you no longer accept faxes? The woman today actually told me to scan it. Lol. If I could scan it I wouldn't have to fax it. I could just attach it to an email.

EFax is a scam. Poor Maxemail. You guys were a good company. DO NOT USE. And watch out for a guy named Jesse. He will laugh in your face and tell you he won't trouble shoot things. All he had to do was tell me they no longer accept faxes and I would have stopped my service months ago. They want me to use the app on my phone. Sadly, insurance carriers and legal entities will not accept a picture of a form. What a waste of Time and money.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I needed a fax number while making a sale of a house and chose eFax to use for the free trial. Very bad idea! I only needed the service for about 30 days but decided to keep it one more month in case I needed it for any more emails related to the sale. Well, it was not until my 3rd attempt at call that my account was finally closed and the charges are still on my bank account. They claim that they would look into it and remove such charges but month after went by and they are still there. I finally had to place a fraud claim and place an alert from this company and hope that this will solve the problem. eFax never again!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Your customer service representatives have a very strong accent and they are hard to understand on the telephone, especially if they are using a headset and there is background conversation. Plus, my call was supposed to be forwarded to a supervisor and no one picked up the call, it was just ringing... Today, I cancelled this service because after sending and paying for a lengthy fax (approximately $70), my account was suspended unnecessarily. Plus, I was asked to send my confidential banking documents to prove my identification -- really???

Also, what really didn't make sense is that your representative emailed me and requested that I fax my financial documents when I have no access to my fax account -- impossible, not logical!! I am extremely unhappy with this experience. I will be posting this review online. You should perhaps reconsider your company policy on this issue. No recommendations will be coming from me!

Original review: July 25, 2017

My actual fax service is quite good, both outbound and inbound to my mailbox. However the billing department and system is a total mess. I have 5 fax numbers for different parts of the world. My account online is current as to billing and credit card info. Shows all current and caught up. BUT eFax credit keeps calling and emailing me telling me that a payment was not processed. It contains a threat that they will cut off my fax service, which is used for business. When I call I am told that my account is current and that I can disregard the notices. It is hard to disregard when they threaten one. They are all screwed up in their billing and cannot get it straightened out. Bad computer control.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I have tried to cancel for almost 2 years. They give you numbers that either keep you on hold or cuts you off. Today after many emails they called me to help me cancel then I get told he cannot cancel it and had to transfer me. They are a scam.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I signed up in February with a 30 day "free trial". I was billed $60 the day after signing up. I contacted the company and was told "Oops, sorry. We will give you next month free, but we don't give refunds". I cancelled my account and stated that I refuse to pay $60 a month for a service I will rarely use. I was told it would be $14.99 per month, the $60 was a "set up fee". They stated they would waive the next 6 fees. (Have this all in email). Next month, March, I was billed $22.95. I called and they said "Oops, sorry. No refunds". Again - cancel my account. Next month, April, billed $48.92. I called "Yeah, you owe us money for 4 months that you haven't paid". This was my THIRD month, and I was OVERPAYING every month prior. "No refunds" - Cancel my account!

Next Month, May, Billed $22.95. Repeat the above steps. Next month, June, billed $16.95. Repeat the above steps. Today, July 10, billed $16.95. AGAIN we repeat, only this time he said he has record of the first request, but NO REFUNDS. He said I never called to cancel. I record ALL calls, so that isn't correct. He then says that if I wasn't given a cancellation number, it simply wasn't cancelled. But NO REFUNDS, despite having proof I cancelled. BBB complaints filed, credit card dispute filed, California DA case started, attorney contacted.

Original review: July 10, 2017

In the past I used to use faxes - however for a long time now I have neither sent nor received a fax. A couple months ago I tried to close my account - their so called support staff give you various different numbers to dial, each of which incurs a heavy charge for every minute you hold on - which is a LOT of minutes, believe me. They eventually gave me the "free" Spanish number (as I live in Spain). I have tried that number numerous times and hold on FOREVER, only to be told there is no one to help and I must call back later. So basically I am paying 6 euros a month for a service I don't use, but the company is so desperate, they won't let me close the account! Do yourself a favor, avoid Efax like the plague that it is.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Used eFax for business for over 11 years. My credit card expense system was updated and held payment for audit in start of 2017. eFax never attempted to contact me when auto payment didn't go through. I called and was shocked to hear that they gave away my fax number without notice. They didn't even care about my 11 yrs of business and said, "The number is gone. Have a good day, bye." I then asked to speak with a supervisor who couldn't do anything about it. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TERRIBLE BUSINESS MODEL TO TREAT ACCOUNTS THIS WAY. Don't let them do the same to you. This company is owned by j2 Global, Inc.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Please provide a better way to cancel your service. As you know, the year is 2017, not 2005. It is rare to find a company that still makes you jump through hoops to cancel a service instead of simply providing an easy to use cancellation link from within the customer's account area. It is also rare for a company to not honor written email request for cancellations as a cancellation should always be honored, no matter how it is submitted. Thank you for charging me almost $120 for services I never used outside the free trial. I have contacted my bank to recoup these fees and I will be following up with them shortly. I will also be contacting the Federal Trade Commission, the BBB, the Division of Consumer Protection, as well as my state's Attorney General.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I've been trying to cancel with this company. I owed for May 2017, $12.97. Call they say my service is canceled. Get an email June 10th saying that my account is NOW suspended. Got an email today stating I now owe $30.85. I call, now they say, no I owe $35.85. I stated, I just got an email not even 10 minutes old stating it's $30.85. I go on to ask, how do I owe when my account was suspended back on June 10th... the guy can not explain, so he transfers me to another guy, who can not seem to understand between; now suspended, can be, or is not suspend! He states it's not suspended. I told him to CANCEL this service now and email me my final billing cost. I'm filing with IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center of the FBI).

Original review: May 24, 2017

After having an account with eFax for 3 years I realized I was paying double the price of their competitors for the same service. eFax refused to lower my bill so I opened an account with one of their competitors. When we tried to port our fax number, eFax refused, claiming they own it. eFax said it is written in their terms when you sign up for service. They will hold your number hostage to try and force your company to stay with them. I refuse to do business with shady crooked companies and closed my account, even though this will cost me to change my fax number on all of my ads and websites. Stay away from eFax and check with any online phone or fax service before signing up. Make sure they will not try and hold your number hostage if you decide to leave.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Considered eFax as an option. They mentioned free for a month and when you have the option to choose what service you would like. DO NOT PUT CREDIT CARD IN. They automatically choose the most expensive and charge your card and you are billed in advance for every month. Call and speak with customer service and make sure they cancel if you really want to try or make sure you choose your option! Customer service was horrible!!!

Original review: May 3, 2017

FRAUD - There is no 30 Free Trial. They will BILL YOU, NO REFUND. DO NOT use this service or any service offered by this company. They say free trial and will bill you from day 1. They will add admin fees and also never cancel your card even when you ask them to. STAY AWAY. If you have been taken advantage of report it to the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center of the FBI).

Original review: April 23, 2017

When my husband passed away last month there were a lot of things I needed to do and a lot of forms needing to be filled out and forwarded especially since he was in the Army. I thought having the fax service would be a great idea. So I signed up on 3/27/17. Well it was nothing but a headache after the first fax was sent. I kept getting errors stating the fax was "interrupted" and I was trying and retrying at all hours of the day and night. The crazy part is customer service kept advising me that it was not their side it was the recipient and to verify the number. Well no... these folks get faxes all day every day and finally a colleague of mine faxed from a traditional fax machine and they went through just fine. Now I'm willing (like a bad habit) to keep giving it a try. Every time I needed to fax something I'd try to send it. Only a few actually sent successfully. Most did not. It was very frustrating.

I used the chat program to cancel my service before my 30 Day Free Trial was up. Well I have to hand it to the representative. They have the retention tactics down. He asked why I was cancelling and I laid it out for him. He offered me longer service at a cheaper rate. He offered me another free month of service. I asked him what didn't he understand about me not wanting a service that doesn't work most of the time? He finally relented and cancelled the service on 4/19/17. I received a email verification that same day the account was cancelled and the following day I received a link for a survey. I thought to myself why a survey when I already wasted so much time online with Ethan explaining all of the issues with the sad company he worked for. I even apologized for my acerbic tone explaining that I knew it was not his fault his company was so "out of touch" with their customers.

At the end of the chat I noticed there was no option to save the chat or have it emailed so I selected the whole thing and threw it into a Word document then saved it as a PDF just so I would have a copy of the conversation. I have every email as well. So fast forward to today. I open my credit card statement online and lo and behold I have five $10 charges from eFax. I have no clue what they are for. I have emailed the company attaching my conversation with Ethan ** closing the account as well as a copy of the charges asking for the reversal and an explanation. I now use MetroFax. No problems thus far. No surprise charges and every fax has gone through quickly and successfully.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I tried to cancel 6 months ago but they said I should use the rest of the year since I paid. They said they would not charge me again but they did and will not cancel. They charged me for a year but only gave me 17 days of service. I was a longtime customer. I am recommending not to even start with them. They use your credit card like their it is theirs.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Tried to cancel my subscription and gave a free subscription until November 2017. Never explained anything about continuing taking normal subscription after that date. Taken money from my account although I didn't opt to continue the subscription. Never respond to emails.

Original review: April 13, 2017

First, their "free trial" is a fraud. You WILL get charged. Second, trying to cancel your account is nearly impossible. I have sent several emails, and called their "Customer Service" number at least 3 times. I have never been able to speak to any representative. Furthermore, this is an ONLINE service. Why should I have to CALL to cancel my account? Obviously so they can convince you to stay. That's shady business practices, and horrible customer service. Tired of this situation, I have ordered my bank to dispute their charges and stop any future ones. I recommend anyone in the same situation to do the same.

Original review: April 5, 2017

After 4 separate phone calls to cancel this account and 3 separate calls to American Express to stop payment, I received a letter from Amex that included a letter from eFax customer service filled with so many lies. I felt compelled to let anyone and everyone know about this criminal behavior. They have literally been stealing from me for months.

The letter from eFax states "the cardholder in question claiming to attempt to cancel is false; they failed to close the account via Chat or over the phone. I tried both, multiple times. I called them 4 separate times and tried once over Chat. They later state "Seeing that this is a long standing customer for years, and they actually underlined and bold years [which is a complete lie]!

During the multiple attempts to cancel on the phone they kept asking for the fax # as the method to access the account, which of course since I only used once I did not have. And then they requested my credit card #, which had been changed. I gave them the new number they were charging, but they stated they could not find my account. I called back with the old card number and was told it had been canceled. They continued to charge me for the last 6 months! What a dishonest business - and karma will catch up to such a terrible strategy to make a few $'s by cheating people.

Original review: March 25, 2017

When it come to close our company account at eFax we discovered that their customer service department NOT EXIST AT ALL for those who would like to say goodbye to eFax. We need to send many e-mails to their service department, called many times their service lines, having done so much effort it took more than 1 week to receive their reply. They have many phone numbers for service in different countries, seems it is fake, no real service provided. Not recommend to provide any credit card data to that company, now we regret much we did it.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I was a MaxEmail customer for over 10 years and had no problems whatsoever. EFax buys them out and raises the annual fee, so I decide not to renew when my prepaid subscription ran out at end of the year. By Jan. 3, 2017, I see a charge on my Amex card for $ 84, even though I never gave EFax my credit card (they obviously stole it from the Max Email records). I call EFax to contest the charge and they agree to cancel my service, but not to the refund, saying "I should have contacted them in November to let them know that I wasn't going to renew". I DID NOT sign up with them for a trial service, they carried my subscription over from MaxEmail. I would hope all of us former MaxEmail subscribers would file a major lawsuit against EFax and make national news out of the shady business ethics of their parent company, i.e. J2Global.

Original review: March 10, 2017

This company is a fraud. I used their eFax service thinking that it was free. They charged me $16.95 to fax 1 page to my son's doctor! When I called to cancel the next day, they refused to let me speak to a manager and said there were no refunds. I couldn't even understand the customer service agent because she barely spoke English and was reading from a script. "There is no speak to managers" and "We do not offer refund. Never." Stay away from this scam and poor customer service nightmare.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Do NOT use this service. I cancelled this last year and they continue to charge my credit card. I see that happens a lot according to the reviews. There are a lot more companies out there that charge a LOT LESS and you don't have to go thru this hassle. And when they charged my account they can't even tell me what my fax number is because they said I don't have an account. Go figure. If I don't have an account then why did they charge my credit card.

Original review: March 6, 2017

I have had the eFax for 10 days and I have had nothing but problems. I sent faxes that were lost and encrypted into explainable words. I hope I am able to get out of this without dealing with billing issues. No one at this company understand English. It is so hard to explain my situation. My phone time has been over 40 mins. every time I call. So disappointing!!!

eFax Company Information