Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

XFINITY Home Phone Service Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Got notice bill was going up and so I called to see what package I can get about same as paying now, Customer Serv said can give package with phone service so I signed up. She didn’t tell me I can’t use my modem and have to buy a new one or rent from them, just bought this Wireless modem/router at Best Buy as it is on their recommendation list. Now I have a service I can’t even use! Bad business practice!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

They are thieves. Will charge you twice in one month. Charge you again after you returned equipment or PAID OFF a device. Trying to resolve billing issues with them is like dealing with a "SHADY USED CAR SALESMAN".

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

It's amazing how many people are having a bad time with Xfinity phone service. I run a home office and have triple play. I use the "home" phone as my office line and ported my office number over years ago. When I first got phone service, a friend told me to buy my own "telephony" modem so I did. An Arris model off eBay for $7. I have my entire business system plugged into this thing and my phone system does internal routing for callers (only one line as I am small office). I talk for hours on this line and rarely have a problem. I've been cut off once in four years and hear no buzzing or popping as others have. So I would suggest that others buy their own modem if they are having problems.

Original review: March 22, 2019

When I added internet service to my house (previously had only cable) there were few options in my area - with Comcast the best internet. Though I only wanted to add internet, I was only offered a Triple Play package including cable, internet, phone. Since I make many calls to Central America I also added the special package to have reduced rates to Latin America. Since contracting for the phone, the service has been getting worse and worse and worse. When calling, the connection has repeated breaks, sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes. What is worse is that when the breaks occur, I start hearing a recording of what was being said previously by the person I called (if I listen long enough I hear a repeated loop recording), making it difficult to initially determine if the person is still on the line (my responses are not included in the recording).

This scam makes you hang on the line longer (being charged more time) trying to determine if you are still connected. I have never had this type of problem with other phone companies (crackling, short breakups, and cut-offs are common with international calls with all companies). Since I am talking to people with simple cell phones, I am sure that the cell phones are not making these recordings, I am convinced that this scam of giving recording of the person you called is specific to Comcast.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

From my experience, It seems as if some people are trying to scam Comcast. When I try to access my account I can't. The website doesn't allow me to view my bill, neither does it allow me to access my preferences to change my payment information because I have a new CC. I'm able to navigate the website with ease and relatively quickly except for these features it's going on 1 hour now and still not able to do so. Additionally, the phone centers when you call in to set up service try selling you the world when you ask for just a place to sit down. Not pleased with my service with Comcast. Additionally, there is some sketchy wiring in my back yard from a green communications box. Unlike my neighbors.... Please Do something about this Comcast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about XFINITY Home Phone Service?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

This is the worst company ever. They quote you a price on their services and then when you receive a bill it is significantly higher than what you were quoted!! I have been with this company for many years paying my bill on time and within the past few years the customer service has been horrible. Most recent they lied to me once again regarding my bundle agreement price package. I am very frustrated and so tired of dealing with this company. The lies. The constant lies. I mean you would not believe how many calls I have to make regarding my bill. I am so done with this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I received an email from Michele **, VP, Comcast stating my services/function on my second phone line will be reduced on December 3, 2018. I pay the same amount for two VOIP lines. I called to find out why the functions were going to be reduced on the second line and was advised by support that as an existing customer I would not get the reductions in function on my second line. That was NOT stated in the email letter I received.

This is so typical of Comcast/Xfinity. They cover their bases with incomplete information to their customers. And when calling Comcast/Xfinity you get to hear the same recording saying they are experiencing high volumes of phone calls... Please hold... I have heard this voice message for years now and had to wait on hold for hours to finally get to talk with a customer service representative. COMCAST/XFINITY SERVICE AND SUPPORT SUCKS! And it starts at the executive level of the company. I have years of poor service with Comcast/Xfinity and get hot under the collar when I see their TV ads talking about how great their customer support is. It is NOT.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have had recurrent phone problems for 2 years (dropped calls, people can't connect with my number, and hear screeching in their ear on the second try). At first, Comcast attributed my problems to my phone. Okay so I buy a new $150 phone. That didn't help. Then they said, it must be the modem. So they installed a new modem. Two more home visits with no solution. The Comcast guy who just left said, "Well the lights are blinking on the modem, so you can't have a problem." (I should add that once when Comcast called my home, she experienced first hand the disconnect and screeching in her ear.)

If Cambridge had FIOS, I would switch tomorrow. Honestly the only solution is to drop my landline and use cell exclusively. Because at $40/month just for phone service, (no internet or cable TV) I'd expect some functionality, whereas now, I have next to none. I should add that with my Verizon cell service, in 5 years I have had literally no problems. Comcast wake up, or you're going to lose even more customers.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Comcast increased my monthly bill by over $40 without notification or permission, even after I was promised the bill would not rise after some type of "promotional period". After 20 years as a customer, I have learned that this is their common tactic, even after being assured the fees would not increase. This company is simply the worst company in the United States. They shouldn't be allowed to remain in business as a service provider and certainly shouldn't be given the opportunity to merge and therefore gain even more of a monopoly. Further, they should not be able to craft "deals" with local cities for less oversight and should be governed as any other local utility. This current issue is just the tip of the iceberg. They have routinely made errors in billing, charged me for unsolicited service calls, mishandled service issues, and lied repeatedly during telephone calls. No more - vote with your feet! This is a dead company walking.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Had sooo many bad experiences with Comcast I could write a book. Do yourself a favor and go with anyone else or go without. I’ve had them for internet, home phone and cable for years and at different addresses. And every time it was a nightmare. They are liars and I truly believe they are scammers. Will NEVER consider them for anything again.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

XFINITY Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

XFINITY from Comcast offers Internet, television, smart home and telephone services. Consumers can receive discounts by subscribing to more than one XFINITY service. The company’s home phone service is available in nearly 40 states and the District of Columbia.

• Unlimited nationwide plans: XFINITY’s plans include unlimited local calling, and some plans also offer unlimited long distance calling. Consumers can choose the plan that is best for them.

• Extra features: XFINITY Voice has smart voicemail so customers can access their voicemail from anywhere and subscribe to readable voicemail. The service also includes caller ID, three-way calling and call waiting.

• Carefree Minutes: Consumers who frequently place calls to locations outside the United States can add on Carefree Minutes. They can use 300 minutes of international talk time for one monthly fee and pay a discounted rate for overages.

• App: The XFINITY Connect app, available for both Apple and Android devices, allows customers to make voice calls through their smart devices. They can also answer calls to their home phone number through the app.

• Online support: Customers with questions or problems can visit the Support section of XFINITY Voice’s website. They can download a welcome kit, set or change their security PIN, learn about popular features and troubleshoot their devices.

• Best for: XFINITY Voice is best for individuals who want the reliability of a home phone with some features available on mobile devices and who live in an XFINITY service area.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team