1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 134 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 23, 2017

264 XFINITY Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

When we signed up for Xfinity security, internet and TV services, we wanted to buy our own modem instead of renting (more expensive). Technical support gave us the specs on which specific modem to purchase to operate all the Xfinity features that I wanted to use in my home. Yet, we are still having issues after a full year of service with them.

I have called multiple times, but nobody has provided a solution, except for me to spend more money buying a new modem or renting one from Xfinity to try to fix the problems we are experiencing with internet and our security system. I was just on the phone for two hours, and spoke with two different departments, and then was told that nothing could be done. I'm at the point of canceling all my services with xfinity, and writing reviews on every online outlet available to share this horrible experience. I would like to speak with someone in corporate offices that actually cares and would like to offer a solution before I do so.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Set up service for internet over their chat with "Jatinder" for $49.99 without an agreement. There was a problem with their appt and it didn't happen. The next day called their "retention" department. She told me I could "self-install" with my own modem but also set up an appt for the next day for a tech installation in case self didn't happen. The same day, I bought my own modem and self-installed over the phone with a tech. The system was doing good, but 5 minutes later, he went to cancel the tech installation appt for the next day as it was not needed anymore. Then the service went down and he had no idea why. He then tried to transfer me to "higher level" support, but hung up on me.

After wasting another hour, finally found out the tech wiped out my whole account when he went to cancel the appt! When called the retention again, she said she could only start a new account and give me a rate for the day, not what they had wiped out, but she said within 2 days, she would change the $79.99 dollar a month rate back to $49.99 per month rate. I got the new account and had to spend another hour for self-installation. Of course, 2 and 3 days later, they never changed the rate back to what I had agreed to over chat originally. I called to cancel and they gave me a hard time. I have never dealt with any business that has so little regard for a customer's time, and does not hold to their words. I canceled and walked away.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Xfinity is awful. You think you're getting a bundle for 99 a month then after fees and renting boxes it's 159. Plus I got behind a month because I'm a single mom and it's up to 500 with fees. I'm ditching cable now, going to just internet and Roku. Xfinity is a rip off and over 75 percent of channels I don't even watch, plus they are unwilling to work with me. And I usually get someone from a foreign country I can't understand.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I had the worst experience with this company. A technician (working on another house!) came over and shut off our wifi because it was "interfering with the entire blocks wifi". They never informed us they turned it off, and when we called and requested a technician to show up he never came. We have called three times since, each time being transferred 4 times to separate departments for a total of at least a 2 hour phone conversation. This company is so unprofessional and by FAR has the worst customer experience I have ever had to deal with. The reasoning for shutting off our wifi was because they had previously messed up the wiring and requested that we pay them an additional $60 to for them to fix their own mistake. I go to IU, and most students here have had a horrible time with this company. I highly suggest no one purchase anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Internet Plus Choice - Approximately one year ago, Comcast Xfinity up-sold my wife a service package. The package selection was her choice, no problem there. Today, 9/15/17, I was asked by her to look at our bill as there was going to be yet another price increase. I noticed a few anomalies. We were being billed for a combo package including a rental for a set-top box. We do not have cable TV in our house and only have been using internet services provided by Comcast. We were being billed for a 250Mbps internet connection. I assured them there was no way we were getting these speeds. When I went to the local location to ask about this (291 NE 223rd St, Gresham OR), I was told they had mailed us a set-top cable descrambler as well as a new internet modem. I assured them this was not the case. They looked in their system and determined we were using an outdated modem.

When I asked them to refund our over-billed portion, the assistant assured me that we were actually saving money even if we were not utilizing all the services and showed me some made-up pricing tiers, and asked would I like a new bundle since our contract ends in a month? “So, we can get cable, HBO and faster internet for a lower price than just an (slower) internet connection?” I was told emphatically, “YES!” Do I look stupid?! I am complaining that this is fraudulent billing. Yes, we selected a performance package. Yes, it was a bundle of internet and cable. However, we were never given the set-top box REQUIRED to receive their cable signal. Nor were we ever given an upgraded modem and only had their old technology incapable of the speeds they were billing us for (which was readily researched through their system).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about XFINITY Home Phone Service?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

About 15 months ago, we upgraded from Xfinity's "up to 75 Mbps" internet service, from which we rarely got 30 Mbps of download speed, to its "up to 150 Mbps" service. For the first several months we were delighted by speeds consistently over 100 Mbps-- never the promised 150 but far better than what we had experienced with the lower level plan. I run tests regularly using Ookla and have noticed that in recent months download speeds have steadily dwindled into the low 40's. Two issues: We are not getting the contracted service Comcast promised, and Comcast is overcharging us for the service that is being provided. Oh, one more thing - Xfinity regularly drops service, usually 6-8 times weekly, and sometimes that many times in a day.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I was over paying for internet service, so I cancelled my service with Fairpoint. After shopping around for high-speed internet with tv in my area, my wife and I decided on Xfinity. So I called them. The salesman was American. He explained everything to sound so good, it started out about $19.99. Then we bundled and upgraded and the price went up. Then we got free installation and discount and the price went up some more. So now for 150 channels and high-speed internet we were looking at $149.95 a month. My wife tells me that we haven't had cable in ten years and to quit being so cheap. So I agreed, we'll take it! Then the salesman finds a past due amount of $279 for the back rent on their equipment from my previous service with Comcast about ten years ago. Bummer.

Well I inform the boss lady of the house to our new obstacle. She tells me to pay them and get internet, so I give the guy my credit card info and he put me on hold for about ten minutes. He comes back on the line and tells me that the debt I owe is older than seven years old. He explains that it would be illegal for them to try to collect a debt with this age. I'm like, "So do you want the boxes back?" He tells me that they are old and obsolete and nobody has a use for them. I'm like WOW! So we schedule a time for installation like 22 days later! And I'm like WOW again, nothing sooner? No. Ok so 22 days of hotspot on the phone and the 22nd rolls around for my install. I take a day off work for this.

The Xfinity guys show up, introduce themselves very professionally. Then he tells me I have a past due balance of $279 and as soon as I take care of that I could be turned on. Yeah they told me I didn't owe anything then they drove to my house and demanded the money like Gangsters. So I called Xfinity billing in Pakistan and that conversation went nowhere. Basically the way she explained it to me if I returned the boxes and paid the $279, I would be in the clear. But if I paid the $279, the back rent for the equipment would still come and returning the equipment alone wouldn't be satisfactory.

Well I guess they were betting that I couldn't do without TV and would just pay up. But instead I told them I would not be making a payment today because this wasn't the agreement made between the salesman and myself. Long story short is a salesman will lie to make his commission and cable company customer service is an oxymoron. The only satisfaction I get out of all this is I'm not giving Comcast one red cent. I am pretty sure they lost a couple hundred on an install that they can't collect on. DirecTV is coming in the morning with the same deal for $99.95 a month. So I'm giving them 1 star because you can't give them any less to write a review.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I recently experienced an outage for both my cable & Internet service which was due to the cable line being cut by our lawn service company. This was easily preventable if the Xfinity tech had buried the line underground which I'm pretty sure is required by law. Instead the tech ran the line thru the bushes to the cable power source. I called customer service and as usual they were apologetic, but useless. They offered to send a tech out in 3 days which I told them was unacceptable as I didn't have any cable or Internet service and needed it fixed ASAP. They told me that I was fortunate that it would be only 3 days as it's normally seven. I then went to the local Xfinity store and was told they would send an email to the regional manager who I have yet to hear from.

I did receive a call from a lady in India reading off a script that again was nice but utterly useless. My takeaway is that they will keep referring you to someone else till you get exhausted or give up. They are a monopoly and could care less about their customers. They would not know what the term service recovery is if it smacked them in the face. I'm also sure they are watching their bottom line by not hiring more tech service people and don't care that it takes several days to get a service appointment. I'm sure their business model would be different if they in fact had more competition. I really hope that streaming becomes more mainstream and they may change their culture and become more customer oriented. The cost certainly does not match the service! If I could have rated them 0 stars. I certainly would have.

Original review: July 26, 2017

From June 08 of 2016, until June 28th of 2017, I had a "promotional deal" of $19.99 a month for digital basic, + surcharges and fees, a total bill of $26.56. I knew the deal was ending on June 28th 2017, so I returned the box to the store on June 27th 2017, and was going to cancel my service. The Customer Service person at the window said to me, " Look, someone has already given you another "promotional deal" so your bill will be the same, you don't have to cancel." So, I asked what my amount in full to pay off my bills would be, and she stated, $27.36 will be your new amount, so just IGNORE what the bill says.

Okay, well, I made the payment of $27.36, and I took my box back home, and the next month, July 2017, the bill was NOT what she said it would be, there was NO promotion of a total she gave me and the amount of the bill was. I cancelled my service July 15th, and paid my final bill of $11.54. NO more was to be owed. I was called with another promotional deal, I decided to take it, I went to my local store and picked up my a cable box yesterday July 25th 2017.

The box is no good, it is old and scratched up and the remote control didn't work and was extremely dirty with dried Ketchup on it, and I had to clean it with a Clorox wipe before touching it. I am having to return the cable box today. Also, I noticed there is a "balance forward" on my new bill since I accepted the new promotion. It says I owe a total of $49.87! I do not owe a partial charge of $22.51, as I paid my final bill on July 15th of $11.54. This bill is wrong. I am cancelling my services today, since I have only 30 days to cancel not have a 110.00 cancellation fee. I am finished with Comcast.

Original review: July 25, 2017

They will cut off your service if you can't make your payment on time even when you are on Social Security on small income. They have your email and they never phone or email. My phone is my life line, is my emergency phone so when they disconnect it seems so alone and I call them and say I can't talk to a supervisor and I have to deal with a so called Customer service rep, they do cut you off a lot.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I had Comcast for over 4 years. After my divorce I wanted to cancel my subscription. I called to cancel my account but they gave me the runaround. Hang up the phone after saying I wanted to cancel, saying that they couldn't cancel because I needed to return equipment, but I had returned my equipment. 4 months of calling to cancel and they finally said they would cancel. But this was a lie. What they did was charge me for the equipment (which I had already returned) and added a $350 charge for canceling and then sent me to collections without a word to me about it. This company is criminal. If there are any class action lawsuits, please contact me.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Signed a 2 year contract for tv, internet, and phone service a year ago. Set up an auto monthly payout from my bank to them for the service. In April 2017, I opened a statement from them which showed I had an outstanding balance. After many hours spent on the phone with them, I come to discover that I was being billed for Netflix since December of 2016. Never ordered, as I already have an account with Netflix. After two months of wasted time on the phone with them without any resolution, I discontinued service and went back to AT&T. Since that time they have continued to bill me, at the non-contract amount, even though the equipment was returned and they were formally informed of my cancellation. The amount is now up to $637.06 as of a statement I just received. I guess It's time to go to small claims court.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Even signing up was a hassle! They pulled my credit each of the 3 times I called. Went to make my first payment today using the automated system and it transferred me to a human who tells me I have to use the automated system! Come to find out, the number I have for my account showed closed! The open account is under some bogus number I've never heard of! The sales people are just as crooked clearly as the company itself! I have 3 accounts with XFINITY, 3 credit inquires, 2 closed accounts and 1 active with a phone number I've never had! They told me the only reason this can happen is cause I have a prior balance. I HAVE NEVER HAD XFINITY! I have only ever had satellite in the past! Do yourself a favor. DO NOT USE XFINITY, save yourself the headache hassle and multiple hard inquiries! Even paying you out bill will be a hassle. Consumer beware!!!

Original review: June 24, 2017

I just moved in here in Rome, GA. It'll take a week before I'll have service. It's just disappointing how come they won't add people to provide quality service to their customers. I need the internet for my business. How come Charter Spectrum can handle your requests right away and visit your place if you're having problems with your service. I have a bad feeling with the Service I'll get from XFINITY. As soon as I know that there's other internet provider, I'll switch right away.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Earlier this afternoon, while I was in the middle of an time-sensitive email, a tree branch fell on the Xfinity cable running from the telephone pole to my house and disconnected my Internet. With no Internet, I have no phone, so I went immediately to a neighbor's house and contacted Xfinity to report the problem and request service. I spent nearly two hours in online chat and on the phone with up to five representatives. In the end, the best they could promise was a technician visit FIVE DAYS from now. I live in the suburbs in New Haven county. This is not some inaccessible remote area. Five days to have my Internet restored??! The tech likely has only to crimp on a new connector and reattach it. In the meantime, we have no Internet (which is used for work, as well as fun) and no phone (no Netflix, either!! Grrr).

Original review: June 23, 2017

We just signed up for Xfinity internet today. I walked outside and noticed that there was about 200 ft of cable wire laying in my yard. The start of it was plugged into the house box which the front of the box was still open with exposed wires. The end of it was connected to a box in the back of my yard with the cover thrown to the side and again, wires are exposed!! I called and demanded it to be fixed the same day but couldn't until the next day. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE LACK OF CHARACTER, INTEGRITY AND PRIDE IN THEIR JOB PERFORMANCE!!!

Original review: June 16, 2017

Worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I needed to put my account on hold as I was moving from a rental house to one I was buying and it could be up to 2 months. I was told it was no problem at all. Now trying to hook the service up at a new address they say I never asked to hold the account, never mind that there was NO usage during that time, and I owe the full amount as if I used it uninterrupted the whole time, before I can hook up a new service address. Then in speaking with them on the phone there is no management to speak to. Apparently they are all in meetings. So far all 5 phone calls I've made have resulted in them not only not working with me but being rude and telling me to go into a store and hanging up on me. I'm sad I even have to rate them a whole one star. I've never been treated so poorly by a company.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I am very disappointed with the service I have received from Comcast ever since I moved to GA in August 2016. I have been Comcast customer for over a decade and never experienced these issues in NJ. Every issue or call that you address always results in a follow up with additional changes, forgotten updates and someone dropping the ball somewhere. There is never a straightforward answer I can expect the next time I call. The calls last over an hour with endless promises that this time it will be done right only to go through the same issues again.

It is a waste of customer's time; I never look forward to calling you. I do not know how many increases in costs I have seen on my bill even though I have been here less than 1 year and you promised me a $128.00 package for two years. I called because you charged me $120.00 for faulty equipment you told me could only be repaired by sending someone to my house on 4/25/17. You never informed me you would charge me and why should you charge any customer for equipment you supply that is malfunctioning?

You are quick to charge customers but are slow to make any refunds due to the customer. You did not credit me for the week I missed service even though you promised I would see this on my next bill. You accessed me fees instead. I had to call you for this. You have never refunded me the money for equipment I returned in Jersey but you billed me for extra days despite having a rep from Philadelphia request the $20.00 credit.

I have honestly come to a place of making a decision to find another carrier should I have any further issues with you. I will not continue being this upset over services I actually pay for. Comcast - you are failing. Out of every company I deal with for services I use, you have been by far the worst in terms of the service you offer. There has to be a way for you to stop punishing customers. This is unacceptable for the money you are charging or for any reputable company that hopes to stay in business.

I am extremely disappointed with your service here in GA. Unfortunately these are the stories I continue to hear about you in GA. I cannot understand why you cannot be consistent - I never have experienced this kind of terrible customer service. It does feel as though I am dealing with a different company here in GA. I really hope I do not have to call you again about the $120.00 credit along with the one week of lost cable I need to see on my account.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I've had the phone service for 11 months and had them out to figure out why I wasn't able to make phone calls at least twice in those 11 months. The third time I called, they told me that I needed to have a Comcast telephone and that's why my phone hasn't been working. Eleven months of service and 2 service calls and no one ever mentioned the fact that I needed to have Comcast phones because a regular phone won't work as well! Can't wait to get rid of them!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Xfinity (Comcast ) very very disappointing! Since agreeing to a 2 year contract (unfortunately) nothing but problems with triple play. first the phone, then the Internet, now the on demand features!!! For 3 days now unable to use, technical dept. Resets on their end, problem not fixed. To send a technician might incur a 50$ charge! Unbelievable! The worst!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I called XFINITY/Comcast regarding a $10.00 increase in my bill and was told that if I don't do automatic payments they can charge me an additional $10.00. I never received anything in writing regarding this nor is it on my billing statement of why the additional $10.00 fee is there. I was told that they are not going to remove it and I will have to pay it or enroll in the automatic draft. Furthermore I've never been late paying my bill and I believe this is an unethical business practice. I have internet and landline phone service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I am thinking of cutting my landline with Comcast. Too often, I cannot get a dial tone, or I get a dial tone and when I dial, the phone call does not go through. I have to reboot the cable modem several times a day. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I am paying over $200 a month for this. Comcast, please get your act together. If they didn't have a monopoly here I would switch.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

So unreliable and price is ridiculous. 200$ a month for this garbage always cutting off and damn sure isnt as fast as they say it is.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

My phone service is intermittent. They have been here twice. They check the modem, find that it is working and leave. The phone works about 75% of the time, but occasionally this problem re-emerges -- people cannot hear me when I answer or vice versa when I place a call. After their first "service" call, I replaced my telephone, thinking perhaps that was the problem but no change. Calls to Comcast are unsatisfying. They always want to start from scratch by sending a "refresh" signal and never seem to refer to history. I simply do not know what to do next.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I own a sales office and in the last 6 months we have been left without service for over 8 hours. I called customer service department and not only do I get disconnected, but they can't get a technician out for over 2 days. In the meantime I am left without service. Terrible service all around.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I can not wait until my contract is over with Comcast in January!! I left AT&T because they could never get my billing correct but I've never experienced anything like the horrible business service at Comcast. For the last 6 months, my service has gone down 5 times that results in a complete business shut down until they correct the problem (usually told it will be corrected around 5 pm or so). The problem, as I'm told over and over for the last 6 months, is due to a bad node somewhere in the area that crashes my service. I believed them the first two times they told me this but how can they keep saying it's the same problem and never fix it?

The worst part is, my phones are tied into my internet service, so when my network goes down, my phones go down. Rather than them calling me telling me there is a problem, customers that I've worked with call my cell to let me know that my business phone number says it's no longer in service. Just like that. Comcast doesn't even bother to automatically transfer my business number to my cell until I call in and request it. Then, they act as though they are doing me a favor... What gracious customer service people they are!! I had hoped that Comcast Business was better than their residential service but that depends on where your business is. As for me, I'm leaving this awful company as soon as possible and unfortunately will have to go back to enduring billing problems, but at least my phones will always work.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I just got off the phone with Jessica from billing who has offered $40 off my bill for their major power outage a few days ago. I find it pathetic for a business this size to not have any kind of contingency plan or even an apology for a failure of this proportion. I was eager to forgive when I got an email from them the next morning after the power outage and the hour that I spent trying to get our phone line back up... I thought it might explain how the outage occurred, what they're doing to fix it, what to expect in the future, an apology... but nope. It was just a marketing email. Jessica was quick to inform me how they were "all hands on deck" in the billing dept during the outage and that they had done everything they can for everyone. I told her she wasn't doing everything she can NOW though. Just when I thought a bad taste couldn't taste any worse, only Comcast could pull it off. Thanks for listening.

Original review: July 12, 2016

We were with AT&T and we decided to go with COMCAST because it was to be cheaper. Let me tell you that we are paying more now and the service is extremely bad. We have been without a phone system since 12:05 PM and according to COMCAST's automated system, the service will not be restore until after 6:30 PM today. Our office closes at 5:00 PM and the lines must be transferred to the answering service. Our business depends on communications with medical staff and patients and it is unacceptable for a company to run its operations like that. We would cancel the contract with COMCAST and will obtain service with a better provider.

Original review: June 14, 2016

I've been trying to remove phone lines from our large Comcast phone account. It has taken me 8 calls (I was disconnected several times - sounded like a hang up, but the next service rep insisted their phones are poor quality. Why does the PHONE COMPANY have bad PHONE SERVICE?) and it's not done yet. The service rep was harsh and spoke over me when I told her what the last rep explained to me. I've spoken to 4 people during this and every single one has given me different information on how to go about it. Now my business is interrupted and my costs are increased because Comcast can't provide their own employees proper information to handle customer service requests. I hope to be able to cancel my entire account with them this year.

Original review: April 19, 2016

Let me preface this by saying that I have never gone and left a bad review for anything. Do NOT get Comcast. I have had Comcast since February 2015, and we were supposed to have a locked rate for the first year of our two year contract. What a joke. I think one month since we have had it, our bill was actually accurate. We have been overcharged every month other than that. We were even charged $200 for a visit that never happened nor had we even called to have someone come to our home.

I'm also my mom's caretaker. She needs a phone obviously for emergencies at the very least. There was an outage for their phone service on a Monday and her phone never came back on. Friday, they made an appointment for Monday between 10-12, but said they would try and send somebody on the weekend. Then Monday came, they tried to call the home phone first that was not working - idiots - and asked to move the appointment for a different day. We said "no", and they agreed to come between 1-3 that day instead. 3:30 came and nobody showed.

After another phone call, they said they can't come until Wednesday. Will they show? I don't know. Shame on them for not coming to fix their pathetic equipment/service for a disabled lady who desperately needs a phone. To summarize: Comcast is terrible. The only reason I have them - my husband wants the SEC channel. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Comcast - step up and take care of your customers and stop coming up with fake fees when you already over-charge.

XFINITY Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

XFINITY from Comcast offers Internet, television, smart home and telephone services. Consumers can receive discounts by subscribing to more than one XFINITY service. The company’s home phone service is available in nearly 40 states and the District of Columbia.

• Unlimited nationwide plans: XFINITY’s plans include unlimited local calling, and some plans also offer unlimited long distance calling. Consumers can choose the plan that is best for them.

• Extra features: XFINITY Voice has smart voicemail so customers can access their voicemail from anywhere and subscribe to readable voicemail. The service also includes caller ID, three-way calling and call waiting.

• Carefree Minutes: Consumers who frequently place calls to locations outside the United States can add on Carefree Minutes. They can use 300 minutes of international talk time for one monthly fee and pay a discounted rate for overages.

• App: The XFINITY Connect app, available for both Apple and Android devices, allows customers to make voice calls through their smart devices. They can also answer calls to their home phone number through the app.

• Online support: Customers with questions or problems can visit the Support section of XFINITY Voice’s website. They can download a welcome kit, set or change their security PIN, learn about popular features and troubleshoot their devices.

• Best for: XFINITY Voice is best for individuals who want the reliability of a home phone with some features available on mobile devices and who live in an XFINITY service area.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs