3.7/5 (2659 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Unethical practices including not offering any downgrades to your service online. Once you sign in all services cheaper than what you have disappear. 2 days ago I was quoted $165 to downgrade our services to 15 channels (TV Select) and was told I could do this online which was untrue. I called back today and was told by customer service manager (2nd person I spoke with) that the $165 did not exist and in actuality would be $197. So going from literally hundreds of channels and internet for $245 down to only 15 channels and internet only saves me $45?? Spectrum should be ashamed. They are unscrupulous, unethical and a complete rip off. After hurricane, Ian, we lost Spectrum service for more than a day (no biggie) but you have to call them for a credit. Why wouldn't they do this automatically as a courtesy and because it's the right thing to do? Sad.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

This is the worst company to deal with and then some. Substandard services, keeping their customers in the dark. Hide information and not continue to sell services. They know it’ll discontinue in the near future like home security. Their customer service sucks and they don’t care generally about what their customer’s experience and needs. Will stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I volunteer for a non-profit animal rescue and I went into a Spectrum store to switch my services and the rescue's services to 'Spectrum's new $59. per month for 2 phones'. That was in July. When I walked into the store I had two working phones and walked out with no service on either phone. When I called customer service to ask why the store would not make sure the customer has a working phone before they leave the store and she said, "Oh the personnel in the stores are only salespeople". Are you kidding me! They set you up with service and do not make sure you have service! 3 stops at the Spectrum store and 6 customer service calls (todays was just under 3 hours actually talking to 3 different agents) and I still do not have service! DO NOT sign up for Spectrum if you need to actually have a working phone!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We have been with this company for years and decided to get the mobile service, we signed up for limited data plan and all went fairly well, then we're offered a new unlimited plan at a set rate for 2 lines, it turns out that plan was a certain amt per line, not for 2 lines, to make a long story short, we were stuck with a big bill that we weren't expecting! I am insisting on a refund for that and the opportunity to get the limited plan back, otherwise I will be shopping for a new mobile company. Beyond mad, spitting nails here.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Avoid doing business with this company. In my opinion, they are a master of “bait and switch”. They will tell you one thing to get you to “buy” (go with their mobile service) and then not deliver on promises. Do not be persuaded by their $29.99 per line offer. You really do get what you pay for and our experience has been that you get sub-standard (low quality) service. Everything from porting existing phone numbers, to activating new phones and to not getting promised trade-in offers on old phones was very problematic. It should not be this difficult to get quality mobile phone service!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

My universal life line was expiring and I renewed it right away. I was approved and Spectrum was having problems on their end when I was approved. They refuse to do three way to solve this problem and then I contact them when my bill went out rages and they try my universal life line I was approved but that help for next bill they refuse to give me the dishes or work with me. They blame me. They are a price gouging and they treat people disability like me like crap

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I chose Spectrum Mobile because my long-time previous carrier could not resolved my Caller ID issue. After multiple hours on the phone over 6 weeks, then refusing to send a Pin Transfer # to Spectrum, I was done. the downside was I had to get a new phone #, but I am dealing. My local Spectrum Customer Service was awesome. Youvette, Justin and Craig assisted me. My new phone was FedExed in 2 days as promised. I took it to my local office and the associates assisted me in transferring my information. Even though I had to get a new phone #, the transfer was seamless and they answered my questions. I have had to call Spectrum Mobile twice and the agents could not be nicer or more helpful, and they speak English. My reception is very good. I would recommend Spectrum Mobile upon customer service, fair pricing and professionalism.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Our Complaint with Spectrum is two items:

1. Spectrum does not pro-rate fees when services are cancelled during the monthly service period, but also does not reduce the service fee for outage time periods. It appears unfair that they charge for the time period after cancellation and for times when service was not supplied due to outages due to their equipment or software.

2. Spectrum does not accept responsibility for removal of their equipment attached to our house after service cancellation and repair all subsequent damage to the house.

Our Spectrum internet service was cancelled on 27 July 2022, and the TV service cancelled on 19 August 2022. I have been using Spectrum/Times Warner/and their predecessor organizations since early 1990’s. On 29 August 2022, we called Spectrum to determine why our cancelled service was not pro-rated, and why we were charged the full monthly fee. We were told that their Terms and Conditions “…does not provide credit for monthly services …cancelled prior to the end of the billing month. I asked why this information was not supplied when we called to cancel the service and did not get a satisfactory answer. On looking at the monthly bills this statement appears under the “Billing Information” heading – which I unfortunately never read.

During the conversation I asked why our bills never reflected a reduced price when the Spectrum service had an outage. The last outage occurred earlier this year with a 3 day outage – approximately 10% of the billing period and billing amount. I do not remember a single time over the past 30 plus years that our monthly bill was reduced to account for non service time. I also asked for a claim to remove Spectrum equipment that was attached to our house and repair all cable intrusions. The service Supervisor (Adrian) would not submit a claim request for the above.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I switched to spectrum mobile from Verizon. What a huge mistake. I got the worst phone service ever. Intermittent, and dropped calls. Sometimes I wouldn't receive calls at all, and my iPhone 11 wouldn't even know someone called me. I called Spectrum customer service. Most people I spoke to were incompetent. They gave me the run-around transferring me between departments. One of them deactivated my line leaving me without service. I had to spend about 9 hours on the phone with them to try to reactivate and no one was successful in doing so. If I could rate them negative stars, I would.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I'm not a Spectrum customer. Spectrum cut my internet line while working on my neighbor's internet. I spent the day arguing with my ISP to have a technician fix my internet. I work from home and lost a day's wages. My son is autistic and we were not able to receive services that day. Spectrum refuses to reimburse me for any of this.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I have been a Spectrum customer for 3 years and every 6 months, they increase my prices. I know the introductory rate expires, but I'm talking about constant price increases. They lost 800,000 customers in 3 years and the rest of us have to take on the burden of making the company profitable. I will do anything I can to move to another service.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I've had spectrum internet, and a friend return the boxes over a month ago, and no balance owed. But they still billed me again and so he went down there and spoke to Dave w/ Charter, on today's date 8/8/2022. They made him pay another full month because they said since we received the bill it was owed. Again the boxes were returned over a month ago and that last bill was paid in full. So they wanted us to pay a full bill again, and my friend went down there to take resolve the issue but they said I still owed another bill which I do not. I had already got new service. So they didn't even prorate it and he paid the complete bill, which is being taken advantage of and it's so very wrong!! These companies do this because they get away with it, and they do a good job of it! I will never recommend Spectrum to anyone. I will further write the BBB, and congressman.

Sheryl

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

Found out the hard way that they allow their employees to lie about waiving charges during an expensive upsell, and the managers refuse to listen to the allegedly record transcript. The employee John said that they’d waive a $50 fee when I upgraded- when I was billed for it, I called to have it corrected and spent 35 minutes with a ‘manager’, only to end up with a $20 credit in my next bill. I am sure that this is a lie as well. I am looking for another provider as this is the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. I should have checked their ratings before doing expensive business with them- to top it off, the wifi only works about 75% of the day- the upsell was entirely **.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I have been a Spectrum Customer for over 6 years now and their customer service and price have become unacceptable. I constantly have issues with their advertised speeds, about half the time they don't come close. every three to four months they have to send a tech to fix their dilapidated infrastructure and or have to replace my modem. I have also been informed by a couple of different spectrum techs that have come to my house for work that have said spectrum has fiber all the way to the boxes outside my house but refuses to hook them up.

For Comparison... I pay $70 per month for an advertised 300 down and 10 up (and half the time this is not so). I also have another property in the same state but a different city, where I have Race Communication (a much smaller company). With Race I pay the Same ($70) but I get 1000 up and down with fiber internet. Unfortunately, spectrum is the only internet provider in my area, so I am stuck paying their ridiculous prices for a service that is subpar at best! Please do yourself a favor and avoid moving into an area where spectrum has a virtual monopoly. Spectrum is a Garbage Company!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I returned my equipment after my apartment discontinued the service due to frequent outages and complaints. I continued to get calls saying I owed $60 due to unreturned equipment 4 months after I returned the items.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

We have Spectrum internet and mobile. Our mobile plan is "By the gig" which charges $14/gig. Our bill is almost always $28/month for 2 phones as we use WIFI at home and everywhere we go. On July 7, 2022 we had an internet outage because another company was digging in the ground and interrupted our service. I called Spectrum to report the outage but the problem was not fixed until 25 hours later on July 8.

I use the internet for my business so I had to use data (hotspot) to conduct my business all day July 8. Our phone bill came to $154 due to the extra data. I called. Ask for a credit because they were so slow coming out and I was told too bad because the internet division is a different company (no they're not...they're both Spectrum). The ridiculous analogy she gave me was somehow that if I had Spectrum internet and Verizon phone, Verizon would not be responsible. How ridiculous is that?!! The answer is totally unacceptable and a lousy way to treat a customer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Spectrum is one of the worst internet service providers for customer service I have ever dealt with. They gave me no notice about raising my price in my third year with them from $59.99 to $79.99! I got the letter that the price was being raised 4 days into the new billing cycle which gave me no time to switch or even speak to them about it! They then refused to prorate for the week I overlapped and made me pay the $80! They then said, "We will give you a reduction in rate if you stay with us for the next year," but it was still higher than another provider was offering, so I said, "Fine I'll keep the service for the rest of the month since Spectrum forced me to pay for the service and disconnect at the end of the billing cycle."

They lied and disconnected it anyway!!! Now saying I am being billed for the equipment that wasn't returned when I am supposed to have it for another month!! I called again and they would do nothing except transfer me to someone to have it turned back on for the two weeks left, but then I would have to call back at the end of the cycle to have it disconnected in time before it goes into the next cycle or be charged again!! They could care less about my thoughts about this when I told them how unhappy I was. Rather than risk them billing me for another month I just took the loss of the $79.99 and cut my losses with this lying and manipulative company!! Never again will I use or recommend them!! Stay clear of spectrum!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I had Spectrum in my apartment. Always going out! Always as slow as old dial up!!! Turtle mode!! 25 minutes trying to view 1 YouTube video. 3 times service stopped! do to reconnect 3 times never did see video! Tried the Spectrum free trial right now, and it's way worse, with full bars! I'm a engineer! Electrical and computer science! This company is a rip-off! Get rid of them now, and force your local politicians to give you another option in your area! Stop the monopoly!

Original review: July 27, 2022

I am disappointed beyond belief. I requested a new access by Wi Fi installation for a new gate on Jun/26/2022. Spectrum sent the first crew and this crew said that a “construction crew” has to come first to run the cables from underneath the cement. For this, they gave me another appointment. The new installation crew came and said that another “construction crew” has to come and install the infrastructure first. As you can see, new appointments have to made time after time to work on whatever the initial step/task needs to be completed. So, another appointment was made now for July 19 and no one showed up nor had the courtesy to call. I made another appointment for the July 21 and no one showed up, again.

I made yet another appointment for today July 26, (ONE MONTH after the first request) and guess what “No One Showed Up”. The whole day I’ve been on the phone trying to get someone at Spectrum customer Service to be accountable for this and resolve the situation. After the calling 5 times and transferred multiple of times, I finally was able to speak with Andrew. Then 20 minutes on the phone with him and suddenly I hear “if you know the extension number dial it now” (something like that). I followed the prompts and I was able to talk to someone else (don’t even remember the name). None of the people I’ve spoke with could resolved the situation.

I tried to get a hold of Ruben ** (account manager), emailed, texted him and he finally texted me back stating my appointment was from 10-12 pm. After no one came to the installation appointment I called Ruben again but could not get a hold of him again. He went MIA on me. So, I called Spectrum one more time and after 15 minutes waiting for someone to answer the phone, I got transferred to supposedly the “right” department but again, no one was able to resolved this problem. I cannot believe no one is accountable for such a poor service. I used to love and recommend Spectrum to my clients and friends but NOT anymore.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I have had a complete outage for almost 24 hours. No communication on when it will be resolved. All information directs consumers to a chat window where you get caught in an endless bot loop and there is no way to speak to an actual person. Spectrum is providing internet service to homes that literally every communication device in the house is dependent on, and they have no expediency on restoring that service and provide no communication to customers on when or if that service will be restored. Absolutely worst customer service I have encountered.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Called to cancel service in May, the rep said they would cancel service. Received another bill in June. Called again in June. Was transferred to their retention dept. That rep's name was TJ. After an hour of him trying to keep me as a customer even though I was suppose to have had service canceled in May he said I had no evidence and I still owed the bill. I asked him to put me on hold and listen to my May phone call recording with the other rep so he did. TJ came back to me and said I was correct. He heard everything and this time my service would be canceled. Had to call again in July because I received another bill for July. This time they put me thru to a leadership person. She would not waive the June bill even though 2 different reps told me in May and June that my service was cancelled and she admitted my service had been canceled June 20. Don't trust what they tell you over the phone. Their employees lie to you.

Original review: July 11, 2022

We went through so many steps to increase the speed of our wifi, including getting multiple technicians out and our equipment replaced. When we finally reached the last resort of buying our own router and modem, Spectrum made it nearly impossible to swap them out. I must have spent a full day on hold between all the separate calls I had to make.

They made up a new policy recently where you have to return your Spectrum modem and router before they can make it possible to install a new one of your own. Ridiculous, because you can't even test if it works. You go to the store, wait. You call them when you get home, wait. They tell you they have to take an extra step on your account - wait more. Get transferred to a different department, wait more. On top of that, while you're trying to work a full day at your job they're trying to sell you more products while you're on the phone with an agent instead of just helping you through your problem. I'm convinced this company is a psychological torture experiment.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Before signing up, Read everything. I cancelled and was charged full rate (no prorate). My billing cycle started 2 days before I cancelled, and I was charged the full rate. Also, charged twice in 1 year. From August to April, my bill went up 40 dollars. Never heard of that before. Don't trust the company.

Original review: July 5, 2022

If I could only give them -5. I called customer service and was told that whenever I cancel the service, I get prorated. Came to find out, that's not the case. I canceled the service early in the month, but now they want me to pay for the whole month, even though there is a recorded conversation that their own employee told me I would not be charged for the whole month. Although they accept their staff made a mistake and misinformed me, they are holding me responsible for the entire payment. Such a greedy company that they don't care about 2-year-old customer satisfaction over $49. I reached all the way to the manager and still the same problem. STAY AWAY FROM SPECTRUM.!!! I am filing a complaint with BBB.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I signed up and paid their fees for activation and service, a week later the company was still unable to connect my cell phone (iPhone), they told me it was my fault. I visited in store and was helpful to employee for connecting service providing everything possible. I tried over the phone, internet, and after four days I gave up. Their customer service is garbage, this company has no place in cell phone industry.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Spectrum has lousy service and the worst customer service ever! Fortunately they are no longer the only game in town. I have finally been able to switch to a new provider but have been informed by Spectrum that I have to pay for an entire month of service because I didn't cancel soon enough. So not only do they have lousy service, but they're also a ripoff. If you have any choice other than Spectrum, for anything, go with whoever else as they have to be better than Spectrum.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Very poor customer service and rates keep going up every 6 months and they never give you notice. But do keep advertising for offers that we don’t need. Do not choose them if ever possible. They are a good, reliable company and do not care about helping their customers.

Original review: June 18, 2022

A couple of months ago, my roommate and I decided to go with Spectrum to get new phones and bundle to save money as we were both with different carriers.

My roommate set it up on the phone with customer service/sales. Our phones arrived in the mail and we took them to the Spectrum store at Loop 410 & San Pedro in San Antonio. They got our new numbers that they assigned each phone, mixed up!

After literally two days on the phone with customer service, my roommate finally got her number straightened out and her phone activated. I advised customer service I no longer wanted the phone or plan due to the extreme difficulty we experienced with them: we were transferred dozens of times and dropped from the line as well. I was advised by Spectrum they would mail a label so I could return the phone but it would cost a $50 re-stock fee! I never used it-only the girl at the store who tried and failed to get my phone set up!

I then agreed to keep the phone so it was paid off in full as an auto-draft. I was contacted by Mr. **, the area manager for Spectrum here. He checked his computer and confirmed the phone was paid and I could call customer service to get the phone unlocked so I could activate it with my carrier. Today, June 17, 2022- I called customer service and spoke with Isaac who indicated the payment was applied to my roommate’s phone, not mine! My roommate’s bill reflects otherwise. Isaac refused to transfer me to a supervisor! I was promised a supervisor call back within two hours but was never contacted! Now, Spectrum is going to take another full payment and leave us in a financial bind! We are senior citizens and disabled. I am a disabled veteran as well! This is elder abuse! Now I’m stuck with a phone I paid for but can’t use!

Original review: June 16, 2022

As someone who has worked in countless customer service jobs, I could not tell you why ANYONE would ever work for Spectrum. There is a massive disconnect between what their CS agents are telling you over phone/chat, and what you see reflected in your account & billing. I hate to be so dramatic, but their agents literally lie straight to your face.

Moving houses? Good luck. I had spectrum internet at the same address for 3 years before calling them to let them know I was moving and needed to switch my service to a new address. I have now called/chatted/gone to the store in PERSON at least 10 separate times because everything I was told on the phone: Internet rate of $54.99, new address, etc. was a complete lie and I am continuing to be billed $79.99 for my OLD address, 3 weeks later.

I don't know how much clearer I can be with them. Have none of their customers ever moved? Why are they promising me the 54.99 rate if they can't uphold that promise? If you are one of Spectrum's customer service agents reading this: QUIT. Why would you work for a company that preys on their customers and has monopolized the market to where you have no choice but to use them? SPECTRUM'S BUSINESS MODEL IS PREDATORY. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. Why would you want a job that requires you to lie and scam people? Aren't you tired of dealing with angry customers? Do bettter. And Spectrum, shame on you.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I've just moved to the new apartment which uses Spectrum Community Solutions WiFi. My internet is not working, no connection at all, and their customer support representatives could not fix it remotely. They say the closest time they can come and fix the problem is in 4 days, which is totally unacceptable. I need the Internet for work, so having no connection is a huge problem for me. Very unreliable provider.

Spectrum Company Information