Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Spectrum is an internet, cable and phone service provider. Spectrum allows customers to bundle internet, television and phone services with plans starting at $99 a month. Spectrum’s services are available in 41 states.

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Spectrum Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2020

I get major packet loss 2-3 times an hour. It interrupts service and every time I call, I get to wait 1-2 hours to talk to anyone. Once I get someone, they try the same troubleshooting and claim that "it must be fixed". They've sent technicians (nice folks to be fair) and no one can seem to figure out what should be a simple issue. This is not just me or my residence: these guys just can't provide a reliable product. To make matters worse, they have a monopoly on the usage of the cable infrastructure here, meaning they're the only people that can provide internet via cable. Why get better when you don't have to... right?

Original review: May 19, 2020

I joined Charter Spectrum through their BYOD program. It wasn't an issue, until I wanted to switch to a new device that I purchased from outside of the Spectrum system. I purchased an iPhone 11 from an outside vendor and switched my SIM card over into it. The basic cell service worked fine, but I started noticing weird things with my account. My visual voicemail disappeared, and I could not log in through either the application or the website to access my account. It simply didn't show up, and gave me a number to call. I called 4 times, spoke with 5 people. My problems were escalated I believe twice. After the third phone call, I was directed to the Spectrum store, where the man at the store could not even pull up my account. Let me just type that out one more time. The man at the Spectrum store could not pull up any information relating to my mobile account.

Eventually, on my 4th phone call, I discovered that if I ever purchase a new phone NOT from Spectrum, I have to call and request to have the phone activated with a new SIM card. Later in this phone call, I also learned that I have to call and have speak to an activation specialist who will then request from SOMEONE ELSE that this phone be added into their system--a process which can take 24 to 48 hours. Yes, you read that correctly. The activation expert could not add my phone into the system. She had to place an internal escalation to have the phone added into the network. I asked multiple times how to contact the people it was escalated to, and she told me she didn't even have that information outside of their ticketed system. What???? Is this a joke? I have to "request" to have an unlocked iPhone I purchased be added to their system, purely because it was purchased outside of their price-gouged system??

I could find no information related to this anywhere on their website; I suppose I could have missed it. Regardless, why did it take me 4 phone calls, 5 people, and a trip to the store for this to (NOT) be resolved. Now I get to wait 24-48 hours to even see if they "accept" the phone into their network. How incredibly manipulative and what a crappy sales tactic to make it so incredibly difficult to add my non-Spectrum purchased phone to their network. Unbelievable.

Original review: May 19, 2020

You happily take my money. But when it's time to give it back, it's a major ordeal. No joke an hour on the phone. What is the check number. What the heck! WHO the heck cares what check it was... Look at the account! You had the money since December of last year. The level that you are disliked is astounding, until someone has to deal with you. It's simple. If I owe you money you shut off my service. If you owe me money. GIVE the money BACK! DO NOT SEND A DEBIT CARD that CHARGES $3 a MONTH. I was told as a child hate is a strong word. Companies like you make me think, hate is not strong enough.

Original review: May 19, 2020

The outages every single week is starting to affect my school work and job. The customer service is terrible. You can’t speak with anyone. The past few months me and anyone I know who has Spectrum have been having issues with outages. I’m canceling as soon as possible. I pay $100 a month just for internet I can’t use.

Original review: May 19, 2020

On Friday, May 15th 2020, I was in my home minding my own business when I heard the doorbell. I went to the door, and saw a Charter Spectrum agent named ** standing at the door. I answered the door to ask what he needed. He started to try to sell his products to me. In the middle of his spiel, he spat in the middle of my yard…that’s right…he spat in the middle of my yard while a pandemic is running wild through the country. I got his information and contacted the Charter Spectrum location on 5543 Grove Blvd, Hoover, AL 35226.

At this time, I spoke to who was supposed to be **’s manager, **. I told ** about what happened, and he said that he would talk to his manager about the incident (I thought he was the manager?) and get back to me no later than Monday (05/18/2020) afternoon. I never received a call from anyone. Now, I’m leaving this review. I guess this company doesn’t care about their employees spitting on people’s property….even during a pandemic. Hopefully, the kids in the neighborhood that play in my yard sometimes didn’t step in it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: May 18, 2020

I spoke to customer service rep to order service. I had the agent on speaker phone so my wife & I could both hear the deal. My price was suppose to be $110 a month for 2 years for TV and Internet. They didn't ship me all the equipment like I was told, then when I got the bill, it was double the price quoted! No one at the call center could explain why the bill doubled. I canceled service 8 days after ordering. Don't waste your time with Spectrum.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Every summer I put my service (TV, phone and internet) on seasonal and head back up north. Every year they pro-rate my billing. Not this year!! They want me to pay for an entire month even though I only used 9 days of service. Apparently, this is a new policy. And if they did advise us at all it would have been in some mouse print somewhere. So, I paid for the one third of the month that I used and have now returned all of their equipment. When I called nobody seemed to care. And, back in the days of Bright House I could not have been happier for the 14 years I had their services. In addition, Spectrum has been jacking up the rates to the point of ridiculous. I will not use Spectrum ever again.

Original review: May 15, 2020

If I could give negative 5 stars I would. Here's a summary: I had Spectrum for over 6 years. During that time, I had one of the modems die. The tech came in and managed to put a hole in my wall - and not tell me. To make it worse, the modem didn't work. I jacked around for about a week and got the modem working, and Spectrum eventually paid me for the damage. THEN, I was moving.

I called Spectrum 2 weeks out to arrange for disconnect. I made it plain to the rep that I needed my service to the first of the month, and she even repeated it back to me. 10 minutes later my service was disconnected. After an hour and a half on hold, I got it reconnected. About 10 days later Spectrum called me, and the person buying my house was trying to get service hooked up. I said that I needed service for the next 6 days before I moved. The rep assured me that this would be the case. You guessed it. Disconnected again. This time when I called back I was told that I needed to go to a Spectrum store and present the DEED TO MY HOUSE to prove that I lived there. I just gave up. Run, do not walk, from this company.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Their internet service is spotty at best with frequent outages. They don't support cable modems that they claim to. Cell phone service has been a nightmare. My phone failed after 3 months. Rather than replace it they foisted me off on LG, who also refused to replace it. I'm an essential worker and need a phone so I was forced to buy a replacement to the tune of $240. If it wasn't such a hassle I'd switch back to Fios.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Where to begin? I get a letter from Spectrum's credit company saying that my account has been sent to collections for the amount of $74.99. There is no explanation, no breakdown of what this balance is for, just that I owe this money. I have to be clear in that Spectrum has been possibly the most horrible service I have ever had. When I moved, I requested that my service be transferred. It took the person helping me maybe half an hour to get me set up and "all was good" and "all was done." Halfway through the month, my service gets cut off. I had paid the prior month just before moving out so I couldn't understand what was going on and why the account now said that the service had been cut off.

I call Spectrum again to see what was going on. The person trying to help me could not. She calls her supervisor, her supervisor helping me also could not. They get a third person involved and this person tells me the previous account had been left active. I explain that I paid the month and moved out then requested my services to be transferred, they explain to me that they never got transferred but left active at the old address and that's why the services continued until mid-November in my new apartment. "No matter" they said. They would do the transfer for me now, gladly. Takes them around an hour and, again, "all is good" and "all was done" and the service is reinstated.

I check daily for the bill to be due so I can pay it but nothing shows up in the account. I called to ask for the bill at the beginning of the next month, explain what happened and they tell me the next bill coming up I would be paying for the month. The next bill is not up until the end of the month which I pay this whole time trusting the customer service rep.

There was another disruption of my service again, I called again and the service rep says the account is so messed up it was just better to cancel the whole thing and start a new account. I had gotten the account with the $49.99 deal for the year initially, he connects my new account with the charge of $54.99 because of the equipment fee. When I explain that my year is not done with the $49.99 deal, he says "a letter went out explaining equipment fees would now start getting charged regardless of the deal you initially signed up with." I asked for this letter to be emailed to me, he refused. I was done.

I finished with Spectrum in January 2020, paid what had to be paid, returned the equipment. Of course I receive another letter charging me for the equipment that I personally returned to the Spectrum store. I speak with a rep through chat and he explains that the charges would be reversed. I tell him about the $54.99 charge due on 1/28/2020 that I got communication about and he tells me "the charges were reversed. YOU DO NOT OWE ANYTHING AND THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED." I have a photo of this.

If I could give Spectrum zero stars, I would. I should not have to pay a cent of my hard earned money for the mistakes and the poor management that the company exhibited throughout this entire situation. It is not my fault that Spectrum does not train people to a standard where they understand what they are doing when a client is requesting a simple request such as their service being transferred from one place to another. If it was not possible, I should have been told so. I do not understand how this got mishandled to such degree that I am sent to collections for a balance that I do not owe. This is downright outrageous and absurd!

P.S., I switched to AT&T and the customer service department seems overall better educated about their services and their products. Spectrum can definitely learn a thing or two. Definitely recommend AT&T.

Spectrum Company Information