Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

RCN Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

My RCN bill increased drastically in October 2019. I called to question the charges and asked exactly what the surcharges and fees were. In the end they were able to reduce my charges a few dollars for one year. (Better than nothing, right?) When I received my January bill, it went up again! This is ridiculous! What happened to my one year promotion? This time we called the FCC and they gave us information on how to file a complaint. Has anyone else called the FCC? The more people complain maybe something can be done to protect the consumer from these “secret” charges and fees. I feel frustrated and misled! However, the people I did speak to at RCN were very nice and I’m sure their flexibility to help the customers is dictated by company policy. So if more people complain to the FCC, maybe customer retention could be a new company policy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

WARNING RCN does not update customer owned modems. They tell you to contact the modem manufacturer for updates knowing that it is a waste of time. They simply want to get you off the phone. I had to explain to the cable company's customer support supervisor how all DOCSIS cable modems operate. The DOCSIS standard states the updates to the modem are to be done by the ISP over the COAX line. It is impossible for the customer to perform the update even if they contact the manufacturer. The modem manufacturers send the updates to the ISPs. The ISPs then test the firmware update to ensure it works as expected and does not create any issues on their network. Once the update is validated by the ISP, the update gets pushed to the customer's modem automatically overnight or next time the modem is rebooted.

What does this mean if you own your modem? RCN does't care if you have 20 different security vulnerabilities. It's your problem not theirs. Sounds bad right? What's even worse is that RCN has a whole web page that says "Bring Your Own Modem" and a nice explanation of it and the requirements. They even have a Q&A at the bottom that answers many common questions for customers that want to bring their own modem. At no point do they tell you, they will not update your modem. Not even in the fine print at the very bottom.

Why should you care about any of this? You're thinking my internet works and have I have never been hacked. My modem firmware is over 5 years old. There have been several security vulnerability fixed since then which I never got. Recently there is a new vulnerability dubbed "cable haunt," Google it and read about it and you'll see how scary the problem could be. It's a pretty big security whole and in some cases, like mine, it's worse because accessing the modem via this method requires no authentication what so ever.

I tested it and confirmed I was able to reboot my cable modem by running a simple script in my web browser. Yes, that thing everyone surfs the web with. All it takes is someone with some skill to write code and plant it on a malicious web page. You click on one wrong advertisement that takes you to that malicious page and someone could take over your modem without you even knowing it. They would have full control of your modem. You can prevent this particular issue by adding a rule in your router to block access to the modem's internal IP address, but how many end users actually know how to do this? Some many not even have that option. RCN doesn't think that matters. If you don't like paying modem rental fees and you actually care about your network security, you might what to look into alternatives to RCN. I'm going to contact Spectrum to see if they will actually provide an update and if so, I will likely switch.

RCN response

Hello, Raffi! Thank you for sharing your recent RCN experience.

Customer security is extremely important to us. Our company does not launch firmware updates until they are completely tested in our all of our market areas. If we haven't launched a specific firmware update, it's because our company is not fully confident of its stability / compatibility on our system.

-Jackie

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

This has been the most frustrating utility to deal with in the last year. We decided to try RCN after moving to the Boston area and it has been a massive mistake. Frequent outages and poor service signal led us to call in a tech in the first month of us moving here and then again the following month before we just gave up and crossed our fingers it would come back on soon. It is impossible to get ahold of anyone at the company itself - the phone prompts "transfer" you to a busy signal no one ever picks up and there is no other recourse besides online chats which are somehow never in service.

The one instance I was able to speak with someone about a large bill double-charged to us it took over an hour of being on hold for them to apologize and refund us. Now my bill keeps hiking up and I can't get in touch with anyone to explain it. I am cancelling with them as soon as I can but I can't TALK to anyone to get it done. I am furious. Don't ever work with them.

RCN response

Hello, Lynn! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. It's our goal to offer reliable service and the highest level of customer care. I can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced, especially when trying to find assistance.

I would be more than happy to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account information so I can better assist you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been a Customer for 11 years and in 11 years I have paid my bill often early or on time. Towards the tail of 2019 I couldn't pay my bill on time. When I get my bill I just go on my online banking and pay the bill. What I didn't know is that there was a $9 late fee. It was never told to me about this charge. The Customer reps always said, "The bill would be X and surcharge and taxes would roughly be and your bill should remain this." Never when signing up for service was it told me to if I was late paying a $9 fee would be given. I mention this to the customer rep and she was nice and she said she cared. She said her Supervisor cared but me the late fee stayed even though 11 years I have paid on time. It should be disclosed to customer and if you see a bill paid on time over the years they should waive some if not all. I plan to terminate my service this year.

RCN response

Hi, Page! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide convenient billing, and I'm disappointed to hear you experienced something different.

-Jackie

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I had RCN Internet & Cable in Chicago for a while. They were horrible. Outages, bad signals, etc. When I moved, they told me to turn my equipment in at one of the "check cashing" location in town. Those locations are also where you can buy Chicago City Stickers or pay utility bills. I turned my equipment in the day before I moved. They claim I never returned the equipment and somehow I lost the receipt in the move. They sent it to collections and it has been damaging my credit score since 2016. They renew the collections with credit companies on a regular basis and continue to damage my credit even now... all for $177.00. Careful people. This company has an inferior product, is not honest and they don't care about their customers.

RCN response

Hi, Max! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. Although we're always sad when a customer leaves our service family, we try to make the process as smooth as possible. I'm disappointed that your experience differed from the norm, and I understand your frustration.

I'd be happy to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account information.

-Jackie S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Updated on 01/04/2020: I was contacted by someone at RCN in response to my post on ConsumerAffairs. The responder said she/he would review my account if I sent my customer number. That was on 1/2/20. I sent my customer number but have yet to hear back from anyone RCN.

Original review: RCN's quoted monthly fee is FAR below the actual monthly charge. If you don't take the full package, you get only a limited number of basic TV channels. Their reps are rude and antagonistic. Reception is sporadic. It's nearly impossible to cancel the contract without endless emails, calls, and other harassment from management. And now they are raising the rates by a lot.

RCN response

Hello, Carol! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We make it our goal to provide affordable, reliable, service and the highest level of customer care. I can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced.

I'd be glad to review your account to make sure you are getting the best value for your needs. Please private message us your account information so I can better assist you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Updated on 01/05/2020: Was contacted from a Jackie on 1/3 asking for account details, and she would review my account and get back to me, but surprise just like others at this SHADY company, no one including her has responded. **See other reviews. This seems to be a trend with them.*** Jackie (who I'm assuming is in charge of complaints, especially on this ConsumerAffairs site) sends a generic message out requesting info and NEVER responds. This company is a joke with their billing practices and how they treat their existing customers and this latest experience just sums it up.... Like I said in my original Review, do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY....

Original review: Stay away from this company. I've been a customer multiple times in different homes for the past 20 years, the customer service team used to care about the customer. Now all they care about is obtaining new customers, and could care less about their existing loyal customers. My bill this year alone has increased over $55 a month, with just getting notification of it increasing $25 more a month in January. My current rate is $185 (just cable and internet) and I dont even have HD, DVR, or anything extra on my account. This is absolutely ridiculous. I called to speak about this and was told by "rude" reps. This is to cover our fees increasing. The point is, you are running specials to get new customers in the door to increase your numbers. However your existing ones are getting ripped off. Enough is enough. I will NEVER recommend you to anyone, and I will be switching my service immediately! STAY AWAY EVERYONE, they don't care about you at all.

RCN response

Hi, Jeremy! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide affordable service and the highest level of customer care. I can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I am absolutely appalled by the service I received today from an "RCN Account Specialist" named Jackie **, Tech # **. I had been in touch with RCN over the past few months to resolve a very minor billing dispute pertaining to RCN's constant random increases on my bill. Jackie ** reached out to me today via email and phone offering to do everything she possibly could to keep me as a customer. I returned her phone call only to be confronted with an EXTREMELY aggressive and condescending demeanor by Ms. **. Not only did she yell at me, but she proceeded to disconnect my services on the spot, WITHOUT ASKING ME OR RECEIVING MY PERMISSION OR CONSENT.

My service was abruptly disconnected today, 12/28 at exactly 5 PM EST. She then proceeded to hang up the phone on me. I immediately called RCN to file a complaint about her. The nice gentlemen who answered tried to help me resolve my billing issue but then informed me that Jackie ** had included notes in the system to not allow me to reinstate my services and completely put a block on my account so that no offers or promotions could be applied. I am absolutely horrified by this level of customer service and I'm immediately filing a complaint with the BBB and seeking legal action. This is after being a loyal customer and putting up with RCN's fraudulent billing for over 10 years!!

RCN response

Hello, Kate! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We take concerns like these very seriously, as it's our goal to provide the very best customer service.

-Jackie S.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Hidden charges, bill goes up every few months without notice. They lure you with cheap prices, but they don’t honor their own deals. Customer service is trained well in not resolving issues in your favor. Whole website and monthly statements are not consumer friendly, they provide very little information about your account and it feels like it’s all on purpose to confuse an average Joe customer. Do not sign up for autopay!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Simply put - bad internet service, bad customer service, dishonest practices. I've had RCN for several years now and they ALWAYS up your bill and do not notify you. It's not in the emails they send. You have to log online and check that they took out the correct amount. Seriously they up it every chance. Sure 30$ is cheaper than around but that is not consistent and customer service reps usually have that IDGAF attitude. I've called and asked and received BS excuse after BS excuse, once they said it was to pay for internet service 3 months in advance!

Although you agree for a year of service, it's not a fixed rate contract. For WIFI ONLY I went from 30 to 50 to 30 to 47 to 90, it's ridiculous unless you want to chase down your ISP every month I'd switch. I finally got rid of them now that I live some place new. Also the connection is super slow and I find myself having to reset wifi in my studio apartment 5x a week. Do I really need an extender for an apartment less than 600sqft?

RCN response

Hi, Jane! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide affordable, reliable, service and the highest level of customer care. I can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced.

Not sure about RCN?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

RCN Company Information