RCN

RCN

1.5/5 (275 ratings)

About RCN

RCN Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Astound Broadband?

Original review: March 4, 2022

Called and requested a site survey to bury cabling as our cables are aerial and go through neighbor's property. This is likely not even legal, but the neighbor hasn't complained. We are trying to do something about it and have wires buried the same way as electrical is from the same pole. Rep on the phone wanted to "send a technician," then casually mentions "possible 79.95 fee" when I explained there is no tech support necessary, it's a survey to see assess the possibility of burying cables. I asked for engineering dept, and was told "there is no engineering dept" which I know for a fact is a lie. Then the rude rep simply hung up on me.

I cannot begin to tell you the frustration and anxiety of dealing with this company over the years. Comcast, sadly, is no better, and my guess is both are colluding to defraud and manipulate customers equally so when one loses business, the other one picks it up. Waiting for Starry or some other WiMax service to come in and compete head to head with these jokers, but no viable non-cable solution is presently offered.

RCN response

Hello, Invino! Thank you for sharing your recent Astound powered by RCN experience. One of our goals is to provide the best customer care, especially during these uncertain times. I would be glad to look into this concern for you. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a member of our service family! -Jackie

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Please save yourself the trouble and do not become an RCN customer. They quoted the wrong amount for services, the tech set the services up wrong, had to get a second tech out. The management never wanted to fix the account set-up. I was being charged $185 monthly just for internet services. I canceled all services within that same week. Please save yourself the time and frustrations, it is not worth it.

Hello, Adriana!

Thank you for reaching out to Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide affordable package, accurate billing and convenient tech visits. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball and that you are no longer a customer. If there are any remaining concerns we can help you with, please feel free to send us private message so we can better assist you.

Thank you for the time you spent with Astound powered by RCN!

-Jackie

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My monthly fee for RCN internet service has been increasing over the last several months (in total by 28.7%). I reached out to RCN and was informed that in the next few months my bill will be more than double the current price. I requested a price information/sheet for my area and was informed that it is only available on the back end. Within my online account, it states that pricing may change every month and to reference bill for details. The bill lacks any specifics. I have been with RCN for a while now and in previous years they were willing to assist/address this. However, it is now pretty clear that keeping current customers is not of interest to RCN. As of writing this review, I am researching other providers and plan to switch in the new year.

RCN response

Hello, S! Thank you for sharing your recent RCN experience. We strive to provide a variety of affordable packages. Pricing increases when promotional discounts expire or in the event of a company-wide rate increase. I would be glad to review your account to make sure that you are getting the best possible value for your needs. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the RCN service family! -Jackie

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

In 2019 I decided to remove my TiVo service since they jacked up the prices for the monthly service. A few months later I had issues with my modem (their property) and they sent a technician to troubleshoot. The technician took with him the TiVo boxes and I thought that was great. Fast forward to Oct 2021- I moved and transferred my services.

To my surprise although the service was moved it was not disconnected at the old address. My bill came for 191.38. I called to get an explanation of the charges and they realized the old address was never deactivated. She then thought to save me money I should use my own router… this would save me 24.99 a month. I said great, she told me my new bill was 205.67!!!! It’s robbery. They are the worst scammers and I plan on reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, social media etc. I hope no one else get scammed like this. Oh and she advised the equipment wasn’t received so there’s an 800 charge for that. RIDICULOUS.

RCN response

Hello, Jatnna! Thank you for reaching out to RCN. I understand that you have some billing and equipment related concerns, and I would be glad to help. Please send us a private message with both your current and former addresses/account numbers so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

1/2020 RCN reps knocked on my door and promised the world for $140 a month with a 2 year contract, 10/21 still under contract they jacked my price up to 186.00, I called and was told it would be fixed in 48 hours, now these idiots jacked my bill up to $207, called again and told the standard bull they will fix it in 24 hours, they also downgraded my tv service and lost a lot of channels, waiting 1 more day and giving back their equipment and going back the Xfinity for the new customer $89.99 deal, do not get RCN as they lie and cheat the consumer

Hello, John!

Thank you for reaching out to RCN. We strive to provide a variety of affordable packages. We would hate to lose you as a customer! I understand your have some billing concerns, and I would be glad to review your account with you. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you.

Thank you for being a valued RCN customer!

-Jackie

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Updated on 10/26/2021: I already wrote a review, but wanted to add more as I finally spoke to an agent that found record of the $256 modem I was being charged for had been returned months ago. Even the agent who finally helped me stated "it has clearly been returned". It took two months and being disrespected by several agents to finally find someone who would do their job. If not for Jasmine, I would be charged $256. absolutely would not recommend this company.

Original Review: I had a router replaced in a one bedroom apartment and after the close of my account am being charged for a router the technician replaced. RCN is saying there's no record of a technician coming to my apartment to replace the router, but refuses to tell me if I received the router in person or by mail, since that is how they claim I got it. After following up with them for over two months because they never followed up with me, I am sent to collections with still 0 information as to why I'm being charged for a router their technician took.

Hello, Sarah!

Thank you for reaching out to RCN. I'm sorry to hear you are no longer a customer. I understand you have some concerns regarding equipment and your final statement. I would be glad to review your account with you. Please private message us your account details so we can take a closer look.

Thank you for the time you spent with RCN!

-Jackie

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I signed up with RCN cable, internet and phone bundle in 9/2019. I was quoted a price of approximately 134.00 a month and that’s what I paid automatically for a while. I admit I’m lazy and don’t look at bills I pay automatically. One day I did and saw my bill increased to 158.00 only few months into a 2 year deal. I called and they said they’d fix it and again I forgot about it. I went from Comcast to RCN because of price increases and because there were no other cable providers in my area so we were a captive audience and Comcast knew it. No good deals were offered except to new customers but at least Comcast at had great service!

RCN has the worst of any provider I’ve ever had! The screen constantly freezes, service goes out completely at times, home phone goes out or it sounds like it’s under water. Trying to get someone to answer the phone for customer service is another issue. Some I have to say try to be helpful and others sound like they’re reading from a script and get angry if you ask anything that’s not on their script. I’ve had billing issues as well and to top it off I find I’m now paying $234.34 for this crappy service and when I called to cancel I was given another spiel. The termination takes about 10 days and I have to mail the equipment back as the 3 locations they have in my state are not within driving distance. This of course means I have to pay longer.

They didn’t even make an effort to keep my business. Best offer was to keep what I have, was going down to 199.00! I would advise anyone who’s considering RCN not to because it’s not worth it! The deals they have are no better than others I’ve seen and the service is so below their competitors, especially Xfinity. It was an expensive and frustrating experience that I hope you can avoid! I’m going back to Comcast Xfinity.

Hi, Kelley!

Thank you for sharing your RCN experience. We strive to provide a variety of affordable packages for all customers. I'm sad to hear you are no longer a customer; I would have loved the opportunity to personally review your account to make sure you were getting the best value possible. If you have any questions or concerns that haven't been resolved, please feel free to send us a private message.

Thank you for the time you spent with the RCN service family! -Jackie

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I've had RCN for a little over a year. As with most ISPs a bill increase is expected but around the time my bill went up I started receiving promotional mail for new customers that advertised 5x the current bandwidth I was receiving for around the original cost of my plan. I figured that it was worth contacting RCN to see if I could get any adjustments to my service to be more in line with their current offerings. To my disappointment, RCN doesn't seem to be concerned with current customers as there were no options for either an increase in bandwidth to match their current offer or a price cut for slower service. I wasn't expecting the full new customer promotional rate but it's ridiculous that as the company increases service bandwidth and lowers costs, current customers are stuck with their old rates.

Hi, Chris!

Thank you for reviewing your recent RCN experience. We strive to provide enjoyable service at affordable rates. We'd be glad to review your account with you to make sure you're in the package that is the best value for your needs. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you.

Thank you for being a part of the RCN service family! -Jackie

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I wish we went to the Consumer Affairs website prior to signing on with RCN cable company so we could have seen the other complaints. We moved into the Madison Farms Development Memorial Day weekend and were told we had 2 cable providers to chose from, Select Service Or RCN. My family members warned me of RCN service but the deals were better with RCN so we went with them. Installation tech was awesome and all seemed ok until the next day when things were not working. No joke, the techs have been to our apartment 4x since we moved in. The cable goes out at least once a week and the Wifi loses its connection more than 1x a day. We are beyond frustrated at this point. We are paying $215 a month for cable service and supposedly the fastest Wifi they have? Something has got to change and SOON.

Hello, Dawn!

Thank you for sharing your recent RCN experience. Our goals are to deliver affordable, reliable service, and I'm sad to hear that we may have dropped the ball. I understand your frustration. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you.

Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

After RCN internet stopped working for 3 days straight and I have to pay extra cellular service. I decided to switch my internet provider. I after they told me they received my equipment and processed my refund, I called on the status of my refund. Each time I call, they tell me it is going to take longer. They are literally making up the policy on the spot!!! Every time I ask them to send me what policy they are referring to, they just tell me that is on their manual and it's not on the internet. When I ask they send me a confirmation that they have requested to send me the check, they tell me they can't do it. In another word, you will NEVER get your refund back!!! They then proceeded to put me on hold for over 45 mins at which point I just gave up. Worst service ever. No transparency. No trust. Just want to take your money. The internet quality is the worst. Always breaking up and just stops working for 3+ days for no reason. My friend got her RCN back working after more than a week.

RCN response

Hello, Jane! Thank you for reaching out to RCN. I understand you have some billing concerns. I'm sad to hear you are no longer a member of our service family, but I'd be glad to check into the status of your refund. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for the time you spent with RCN! -Jackie

RCN Company Information