1.75/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

161 RCN Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have had little if any issues in the last 5 years with RCN. I have called for tech support and told a 20 plus minute wait; yet I was never on hold longer than 10 minutes. Techs were knowledgeable, patient and totally understanding. Problem was always solved without having to schedule a service call. Impressive! Minor opportunities are that I wish TiVo had Amazon but alas it doesn’t so I bought the Fire stick. I have the signature pkg which offers like 70 channels. Most of which I don’t watch but there are a select few that are my favs and these are not available on basic cable. So unfortunately I pay a lot. How sweet if I could pick 3 channels to add to “my basic” - you know customize just for me! In the meantime I will stick with cable RCN.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

There is no other cable company where I live (I guess it is a PUC problem that supports such a monopoly). I prefer to have all phone (need a phone), internet, and TV from one source. A third of my bill is for surcharges for things like sports (which I do not watch). Some channels have audio and video often out of synch. Channel lineup is poor (and am not using basic). Extremely long buffering times for say Netflix. Internet drops more often than I would like. Basically it is the worse service, especially for the price, that I have experienced since the onset of my cable TV experience 50+ years back, covering multiple providers. Some aspects are ok, but not close to the degree and weight of the issues.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If you use them for your cable be very careful as they will try and cheat you at every chance they get. I signed up for their service when moving into the area. They were advertising free installation, a good price and 6 months of free Showtime. I did not get the Showtime and was charged for installation. I had to call and complain to get what I was promised. Then in my welcome packet they promise a free on demand movie. So I watch a movie and of course was charged and the charge was not removed in 2 months as promised. Had to call about that. Then my promotional rate was up. I called to see if there was anything I could do to save, they said no. So I made arrangements to switch to Service Electric and called to cancel.

At that point they then wanted to offer me a better rate (let this be a lesson to you all if you want your prices to go down call and cancel) but I was ready to be free of them. So I finally got the guy to agree to cancel my service (only to have someone else harass me by phone and e-mail to try and come back later that evening) and he assured me it would be cancelled once I turned in my equipment. I did so that day and noticed a week later my bill had still not been adjusted. I called to ask what was going on and was promised my service had been cancelled and the bill would be fixed any day now, I certainly wouldn't be charged for a full month when I didn't even have service for 2 weeks.

Needless to say a week later I was charged for the full month. When I called again I was told that a credit would be issued in 10 days. It took 2 1/2 weeks and I was told that was "expedited" funny how when Amazon once shipped me something damaged they got me my money back same day. One overcharge I get, but 3 in 1 1/2 years? Not to mention the lies about the cancellation from their customer service people. They are either completely incompetent or hoping people won't notice they are being overcharged so they can keep the money. In addition to the illegal behavior my service was also not great. The installer was late and told me when he finally arrived that he had been overbooked and would never have made it in time. Yet no one thought to give me a heads up on that. My DVR used to freeze all the time, and my internet would sporadically cut off.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

RCN is horrible. I pay for 1 GB service but barely get 400mb on a good day. I cannot move a TV to another room in my home because RCN will not connect all the home run cables to their cable box, so I have to call a tech and be billed. If you try to call Tech Support be prepared to wait on hold for 45 minutes, then be ready to spend literally 2 hours troubleshooting with the tech support people who then tell you a tech must come out. Their phone service is very expensive for a phone that disconnects throughout the day at any given moment.

I had Xfinity X1 in my prior home in NJ and it was great - always getting at least 980MB download. I could move tv's around the entire home with no issues. The phone costs just $10 per month and ALWAYS worked. I called Comcast for service in Easton and was told that RCN has the monopoly here and Comcast was not allowed. WHAT HAPPENED TO COMPETITIVE BUSINESS IN A FREE MARKET! When can we get Comcast in Easton? Stay away from RCN unless you like the frustration of dealing with an expensive subpar cable provider.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I swear, leave it to RCN to steal your money without letting you know. Charging you for things you were never told about. Customer Service telling you to just "pay it". I honestly HATE RCN with the greatest of all passions but the building that I live in only allows us to get RCN - in essence another way to steal our money because I am sure they have some type of agreement with our building. RCN, you should stop stealing from the poor to make the rich richer. It's absolutely disgusting!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I am very disappointed with the quality of customer service lately. In a chat session I received advice that was inapplicable and irrelevant to my Arris modem model CM820A. It does not have a battery but yet I was told to open the battery cover and remove the battery. When I tried to explain that all my phones are connected to a wall outlet and not connected to the modem, the agent rudely ignored me and insinuated that I did not want to follow the instructions and threatened me with a $54.95 charge. Although I have heard about poor RCN tech support, until now I have never experienced such a deplorable and ignorant representative in all my years of contacting technical support. RCN should properly train all its agents on acceptable customer service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Sick of the bills going up every month. Hate paying about a third of the cost on taxes and "special fees". And I don't need all the channels that I am forced to pay. Still, RCN is the best of what is offered in NYC and their service is quick, on time and useful.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

RCN is our provider for cable TV (we have TIVO), internet, and landline telephone. We have been loyal customers for over 15 years. Their telephone support system has improved greatly over the last few years, because the agents are in the U.S.A. Most of the technicians who come out to the house to make repairs are very good, with one or two who have been terrible. Our biggest complaint is the COST. Our monthly bill keeps increasing. Our second biggest complaint is that we never watch most of the channels we are forced to pay for, because our favorite channels are put in bundles with those channels.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If I could access Amazon Prime on my RCN Tivo, I would be totally happy with RCN. RCN provides reliable internet & cable service, is responsive when I have a technical issue & provides solutions. I have been a customer at 2 different Chicago condos for 18+ years.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I cannot explain how much I cannot stand this company. I have had to call them over 12 times in the past few months. They have continuously caused us issues over and over, then charge us for their own mistakes! Then I call to get it fixed and 1.5 hours later I still have not had the problem solved OR they fixed the one problem and caused another. The only reason we still have RCN is because we are forced to have this service while living in our current building. I would think about moving again to get away from them. I could go into greater detail but that would require pages. If you make the poor choice of getting RCN make sure you watch your bill carefully! They will charge you for things you did not know were chargeable.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have being using RCN for 3 years and I asked for transfer of my account and I was charge without even informed about the charges that I was charge. Call customer care and they insisted I should pay the amount of money they charge. I receive no help. And when they increase the charges is like 40 percent of my initial charges.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’ve ordered the NHL Center Ice package Thursday morning. I recorded a game while I was at work (third shift) and started watching it when I came home Friday morning and noticed it wasn’t in HD. I called to cancel the package bc I didn’t know it wasn’t HD. My fault for assuming, since it is 2018, a 140 sports package would naturally be in HD. I was told that they could cancel the package however it was non refundable. What’s the point of that? I was told that there is one hockey channel in HD each night. Staggering.

One out of 16 games a night is in HD - all the others you might as well pretend it’s 1985 as you watch in 480i. I don’t know what’s more disgusting, that they cannot refund any portion of the money or the fact that they cannot broadcast in full HD. Customer service was a joke as I was told one channel is HD, she clearly doesn’t understand the amount of games played on one day. Terrible service and the prices are a joke. This month is officially the start of my second year with them. I’m at 156 per month when I started at 93 and have not made any changes at all.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had my card cloned and had to work with my credit card company to reinstate my card, inform all my vendors of the situation, and such. What a headache. All the companies I spoke with were understanding and gave me the benefit of the doubt. Except RCN. I called them and asked if they could remove the charges. RCN had charged me an autopay denial fee of $25.00, a data late fee of $9.00, a payment declined fee of $39.95 which totals to $73.95. I got everything but the $25.00 taken off. Now I know $25.00 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I am a business owner and I understand what happens when payments are unauthorized. There is no charge to the company, and even if there is a charge, for a $100 bill, 2.9% + 0.30 is $3.20 but the company is charging $25.00 to make a profit. It's just bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I was aware that Internet providers in the U.S. increase the rates after a year of use, insisting that the price you sign up to is a promo. So I wasn't that surprised when my bill went up $15 for exactly the same service I was receiving. Having investigated the web and talked to locals, I armed myself with competitors' quotes and other tools for efficient negotiation. Yes, it's embarrassing that the 21st century commodity provider makes you bargain, bringing you to some sort of medieval marketplace. But I'll leave that behind and say that their customer service is a DISASTER. They are using as much of time as possible, never answer straightforward questions, bombard you with unnecessary information.

It took me about 20 minutes on phone to ask about the monthly rate for downgrade and 20 minutes more to learn about the magical "loyalty credit" of $10 they are super gracious to apply to my account for one more year. Next day I started the conversation in a different way, "I'm gonna leave you, so beat the competitors' deal", but they showed zero interest to it. I know other folks were more lucky and made the rep bounce the rate back to the original one. I wasn't. This pricing policy on a commodity market is totally insane. I hope that some sort of anti-monopoly service will take notice of RCN's practices.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

RCN, like all cable companies, offers the ability to record shows and stream at a later time on multiple devices. This is clearly promoted in their sales materials. The service is a repackaging of Tivo. The service is significantly unreliable. They have constant technical issues. The support folks understand these issues poorly, and plainly have no access to the right technical people to address them.

As if that were not bad enough, I kept pushing the issue to get it resolved and was met with lies and fraud. First they told me I was not entitled to streaming services (the one they promote on their website!) anyway because I was not paying a fee for them, which is false as a matter of law. Then, once they failed to fix the problem one time too many and I put enormous pressure on the no-accounts in the CEO's office, they began telling me that RCN "does not offer streaming services." This is not only a lie, but it constitutes fraud. A business cannot take you money for promoted products and services and then later deny the products and services do not exist. It is not clear whether anyone is running RCN at the top, but if someone is that person is plainly running a third-rate operation and is ignorantly unaware and how customers are being treated. If you value recording shows and the related streaming of them, RCN is a horrific choice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've been reading the reviews here and elsewhere -- on Yelp, etc. Specifically I was reading to see how many other RCN customers experience unforeseen price gouging. A loyal RCN customer for four years now, I never questioned the continual increases, because I thought any promotion I had ended probably with the first year of having them as my internet provider. The internet is all I ever signed up for. I never signed up for any bundles, no cable TV, no internet phone (people actually use those?). Over the years, my bill went from: $49 to $52 to $67 to $69 to $79 to $90 to $92. Then in this fourth year it went up to $152.

For some basic internet at 110Mb, with a modem that by now is somewhat obsolete. Their highest speed is 1G. For $152, without cable TV service, if I'm only paying for internet alone, they should probably hook me up with service to take me to outer space. But nothing changed. There was no notice in the mail, nothing via email (other than contests and other spam), and nothing noted about the increase on the bills.

When I called and asked why my cost had jumped almost 70% they said it was because the promotional period ended. I had a four year promotional period? That's amazing (not really). The customer service rep was very nice (that's been my one good experience with RCN), and he used that familiar term -- rebundling. After about 15 minutes, he claims he was able to rebundle my service so that that monthly cost would be similar to what it had been a year ago. And he claimed that this would hold for a year, and couldn't promise me what increases there will be then. Fair enough. He said I should have received some kind of notification about the increase, and didn't know why I hadn't.

Now, after reading other reviews, I've come to the conclusion this is just their standard operating procedure. They just jack up the prices after they've had loyal customers because they figure we've all fallen into some complacency after not saying anything about the gradual smaller increases. And then, wham, they slap you with the big increase!

What I don't understand is what needed to be rebundled for my service. I have one thing: internet. I have no cable TV package. There is no bundle in my case. I really think at some point they are going to mess with the wrong RCN customer, possibly a litigious one, or possibly even an attorney, and that customer is going to put through a class action lawsuit. There has to be some accountability and explanation for these massive increases and switcheroos in the pricing on these plans. From reading these reviews, it's been happening to many of us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I've had RCN for over 7 years now, 5 at a previous address and 2 at my current. I am on their 50 mbps plan which works more like 30 mbps to be honest. The biggest issue with RCN is their pricing scheme and annual rate hikes. I have to email or call them on the regular because my bill jumps up. Forget about getting any kind of deal either because once you're their customer they will refuse to give you any promo pricing. Other companies show a flat rate for their service but RCN hides behind a low intro (it's not really low it's actually what the price should be) and then steadily raises the price year after year. If there were any competition in the local area I would dump them in a heartbeat. I only pray that Fios will get its act together and get here because I need faster speed without paying hundreds of dollars a month and unfortunately that's never going to happen with RCN.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I was paying 45$ for just 50 Mbps internet. Then after a year it was 60$. Then again after a few months, it increased to 76$. I would never recommend this provider to anyone. Now, it's been 2 weeks, my internet connection is so slow that just to download 10GB, it takes whole night. Absolutely terrible provider. About to switch to Comcast soon.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I canceled today specifically because of the way I was treated by the call rep Rachel. After multiple calls and chats to correct an account error I spoke with Rachel who was condescending, argumentative, and placed me on an unrequested hold for a "manager" only to come back after several minutes and tell me to go to the website. This level of unprofessionalism is ridiculous and I have no interest continuing service with this company because of the way I was treated on this call.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We have subscribed to RCN for about 4 years. All of a sudden - with no notice - the bill went from $200 to $350 per month. Called and was told that they could reduce the rate if they could come and replace the modem. They replaced the modem, but the reduction was only a fraction of what they had promised. Could not get them to commit to the promise by email, mail, or having it reflected on the website.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have been an RCN customer for about six years. Every year I become more and more disappointed and annoyed with them. Their television offers no real channels. They make you pay extra (for stupid pre-determined packages) for channels that come in BASIC packages with some other providers. They give you silly channels that you will never watch (those music channels can go away). If you want a channel like IFC or Food Network, you need to "upgrade" your package. How about you just let ME choose the channels that I want in my package? I don't want your stupid list of packages, because it's obvious that some dumb ** came up with the combination.

Internet service is slow as molasses. It goes in and out DAILY. I don't even want to hear the b.s. about other people nearby also having internet service and congestion periods. What the hell do we pay you for? Fix your antiquated network for Pete's sake. My cell phone service (Verizon Wireless) is WAY faster on a download than THIS garbage that they call internet. Don't bother getting the fastest service because without a dedicated line for internet, you will be subject to outages and slow unreliable internet service. Channels are choppy at times, have problems with signals.

I could have just gone with Dish TV or DirecTV. I honestly wish that FIOS was available here. I am convinced that RCN is doing things illegally. I'm going to complain to every agency possible because there is NO WAY half the crap that they do is legal. I won't be with this crappy, unreliable, overly expensive company for too much longer. BTW, why the hell am I STILL renting the damn equipment? I'm pretty damned sure that I have paid you sorry ** TRIPLE what these old boxes are even worth after six sorry years. I despise this company so much.

RCN response

Hello, C. Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. I'm disappointed to hear that you've been having ongoing issues with your services that have not been resolved! Please reply to this private message with your account details so I can get this concern escalated for you. Thank you for being a long-time, valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: June 3, 2018

I am making my discontent for RCN TV service because for ~ last 6 months we have experienced reception disruptions. Note there are 4 TVs in the house... 2 admittedly are not High Def capable, 2 units are much newer and pull in HD stations. For example, at any random time of day we cannot see normal stations e.g. 3, 6, 10 screen usually shows extreme pixelation, goes blank and the displays screen stating station temporarily off the air. Upon then switching to 1003, 1006 or 1010, sometimes the station is normal. This essentially renders 2 of our 4 TVs inoperable. Sometimes however a HD station is temporarily off the air. IN OTHER WORDS... RCN TV is totally unreliable!!!

We have contacted service quite a number of times. 4 times trucks have appeared in our neighborhood and the service reps say they are replacing wires that appear to be "chewed by squirrels!" Let it be noted the unreliability has NOT improved. Does anyone else in the greater Allentown area experience this issue? Has RCN been receptive to your frustration and have they changed the situation? May I add that the bills still get paid automatically each month??? BTW one of the "boxes" on a HD TV has been recently replaced in hopes of improving the awful reception, but to no avail. This makes no sense. I don't know what to do. Also, we have had bundled contract for TV, phone and computer... FOR ~ 15 YEARS!! This last year has made us think about alternative companies. What do others think?

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been a customer of RCN for the last 9 months. Every month they suspended my service 1 day after the billing cycle which is the 24th and by the 25th service suspension. I called to find out why this is and was given a lame excuse but was made aware that a $30 restoration fee would be assessed. I started going over the charges on my monthly bill only to also find that every months since activating the service that a “one time charge“ is assessed! That is the description “one time charge that varies from month to month ranging from $9.00 to $91.00!" This makes no sense and when I call for an explanation I am not been given an explanation that makes sense. Please RCN consumers check your bills and let me know if you found the same charges and let us all do something about it! We are being overcharged and defrauded. The total amount for the last 9 months is $329.66 outrageous!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Each and every month my price fluctuates. It's highly expensive for Internet ONLY. I just recently paid an exorbitant $86.59 and next month it's up to $91.09. WHY??? I have the low internet speed as it's just myself. I lowered it when my son joined the Army. So, again I ask, why so high and fluctuating? I have called countless times asking for an explanation. Service is great, prices outweigh the service, in my opinion. I have to live by a budget too.

The Customer Service Representatives are lackadaisical at best and do not answer my question. Each and every provider out there takes advantage of its customers. Matters not who you are with. Pretty sure someone from RCN will reply to this with a formal response apologizing (lol) sent to pretty much anyone who complains on here. So, whatever. Just more smoke being blown up our backsides. WITH NO EXPLANATION! Another thing to ponder: They give (all providers) great low rates for first timers but those faithful customers get the shaft. They're all doing it wrong. Do something for us long timers to make us want to stay and not move to another provider. A suggestion. Albeit, a good one.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We had Comcast service at our house for some years. However due to the high costs we decided to go with another provider. We chose RCN due to the price. BIG MISTAKE! First of all the Tech never showed up when he was scheduled to come. Instead he called into the office and lied saying that he came to the house. When someone was home all day waiting for him and he never showed up. We should have taken that as a sign of what service would be like... lol.

The internet speed is a joke. I work from home and the internet goes out about every 15 minutes. It just cuts off for no reason. When it is working it is so slow it takes forever and a day to just load one page. In addition their cable service is no better. The tv freezes while trying to watch a movie and I end up having to turn it off. Plus they're on demand has no free movies, they want you to pay for everything. At least with Comcast they gave you access to tons of free movies and tv shows you could watch at your leisure. I don't even watch tv anymore because RCN's service is so bad.

While I complained about the high cost of Comcast, at least I can say you get your money's worth with them. I rarely had connection issues with their internet. With RCN their service is slow as dial up at times. Forget about streaming anything online. Even youtube videos freeze up. This is not just a rare occurrence in reading reviews across the internet and speaking to other people I keep hearing that RCN has the worst service across the industry. You would think with all of the money they have they would try to do something to upgrade their service and equipment to keep more customers.

However it appears to me that all they care about is getting customers and not keeping them. Their service is pathetic. I plan to switch as soon as I am able. To those who are reading this and have Comcast and who are considering RCN, don't do it. You will regret it! There are other better service providers out there in terms of quality product who actually care enough about their customers to have their service up to standard. Keep looking. RCN is not where it's at.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Been with them for more than 20 years. In past used them to work from home with special connection and now use just basic service as I don't need more or better service. They are professional, polite, and willing to assist when problems. Will send out people when required and inform you via email the appointment time within 2 hrs. Easy to cancel if needed. They don't badger you to buy faster or more services.

RCN response

Hello, Elaine! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with RCN! We are glad to serve you, and thank you for being a valued member of the RCN family for over 20 years! -Jackie

Original review: May 11, 2018

Way too expensive for the service. Goes up every few months with no improvement in add'l shows. Charged for fees on programs you never access and they refuse to remove. All must pay whether you watch or not, I pay $240 per month.

RCN response

Hello, Linda! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide affordable service. I would be glad to review your account to make sure you are getting the best value available for your services. Please private message me your account information so I can better assist you. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: May 10, 2018

Horrible, we arrived home today, tried to restore service. Spent one hour and 6 minutes on phone with one person. She evidently stopped working on problem and didn’t even bother to say goodbye or hang up for over 30 minutes, we then called from a cell phone and spent at least 45 minutes with her while she was trying to restore service. To give her due, she did try to save us some money, and thought she was helping us, but long story short, as she was so confident that signal and service was restored. WE HAVE NO SERVICE! We have COMCAST in Florida, when we schedule service to be restored it is done almost immediately. RCN is archaic. Do not ever suspend service, it is not worth it, they are not genuine about offering you this service. Last time we did this, they told us our boxes missed some updates, and it took us another service call to get restored. NONE OF THIS HAPPENS TO US WITH COMCAST.

RCN response

Hello, Susan! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. I'd be happy to review your account to make sure your services are up and running properly. Please private message me your account information so I can better assist you. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: May 9, 2018

Their cable service always has issues. Their price goes up and up. Their Wi-Fi is sooo slow, but yet their prices goes up and up. Customer service is the worst and they have an excuse for why their price keeps going up, and they have no excuse as to why there Wi-Fi and cable sucks. They are fast to charge you extra if you're late on a payment, but if they owe you money they take their time to pay anything owe to customers. I've been waiting for more than 2 month for a refund they owe me. I was told I will be receiving my refund in 15 days 2 month ago. HOW IN THE WORLD DID RCN MAKE #1 FOR THE 3RD YEAR IN A ROW!!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Almost a year ago when I started with RCN the speed was just fine. But as the time progressed the speed started to variate. Especially in busy hours. Now is pretty slow, most of the times, especially on my other PC which is wi-fi connected with no major barriers or obstacles.

RCN response

Hello, Ned! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide reliable service. I want to make sure your concerns are resolved, by first running some tests on your internet connection. Please private message us your account information so we can better assist you. Thank you for the time you spent with us as a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

RCN Company Information