1.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 83 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

117 RCN Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Customer service is 50/50. Depends on a given day I guess and sometimes it takes 3 tries in speaking to different reps, to actually get one that sounds like they have your best interest at heart. Sub par services for overpriced packages. They title their gimmicks “packages” but charge you for everything and extra. Honestly, how do they get away with overpricing their materials and taking customers service. Decent prices if you a first time customer; only for 1year, then they hit you with all the charges!

You can basically rent a room in NYC for the price of their services. So sad. I went for $111.+ to now $153+ with some different estimates in the months in between which they attributed to how long a month was. But also two stars bc they are better with a 50/50 customer experience than with Verizon and they don’t have that chunky black box they give you for “Fios.” Their internet speed is no whoop either. Decent speed and not too many outages either. Just 2 maybe 3 this first year as a customer. Someone should really check into their customer fees though. Existing and new customers. Seriously.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Upload speeds max out at 10MBs which means that as a Subscriber with a 150 MB/sec download, I can't make much use of cloud storage options. Even their 1 Gig service tops out at 20 MBs upload. This is extremely frustrating. They also do not support IPV6 which is also frustrating. They provide 0 spam call protection and I complained about spam calls to them multiple times and just got patronizing. I dropped their overpriced $30/month phone service and went to Ooma.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

BEWARE... after your 2 year term is up with RCN they will jack you up big time and completely take advantage of you from a price perspective. A word to the wise, if buying a new home, make sure you will have cable options, since it seems that many builders make money deals with cable companies whereby they get upfront money for exclusivity as well as residuals from that cable service provider without your knowledge. Should be reasons for a class action suit since personal enrichment though deception to innocent purchasers. If there are other providers, any are better than RCN. Trust me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Service issues while had the service, had to reset the modem every few weeks and internet was never fast as advertised, even direct off the modem. You will save money from Comcast, but you get what you pay for. Slow, bad service, faulty equipment. Not to even mention customer service. They make it as hard to leave as they can in order to steal your last month of payment. There is a 2 step process to cancellation. You can't cancel online, even though there is a full account management portal. There is no help documentation on how to cancel service and avoid paying fees when you're not even using the service. Called and chatted in and they did nothing to help or keep my business. Just repeated their policies of how they can't cancel service without returned equipment etc. Can't backdate anything. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. Providers are a dime a dozen, just go with another if you don't want headaches.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I used the RCN app on August 31, 2017 to make a payment to my account. RCN uses the app as bait so you don't incur a fee for paying your bill online. I paid $199.90, which was the whole account balance, or so the app showed. Now RCN is saying that I still owe $115.05 out of nowhere. I will not be paying them an extra $115.05 because they say so!!! Do better RCN!!! Get this together!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I'm pissed that upload speeds have stayed at 10 Mbps with this company when the world is moving to Cloud storage. FIOS had 10x faster upload than this 10 years ago. It's very frustrating that they keep me off the Cloud. I don't need gigabit download, I need reasonable upload. As other ISPs have embraced IPV6, this one has no plans. Support is spotty. Sometimes you get awesome, sometimes you get the worst. I've tried using email support and a couple of times, after asking for a response a few times, I just gave up. Was just ignored. I dropped the landline. $30/month for not great sound, very few features, and absolutely no support or interest in spam blocking. I went to Ooma and I'm saving $25/month and have bunches of great features, including spam blocking and better sound. Like others, I'm stuck with my ISP because there are no other options. I'm frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

First of all, for the record, I have been a user of RCN since its invention and I have always recommend it to all, and I love the service. It's excellent, it's better than anything else in this area. It never goes out, it's faster than anything and it works like a charm. Therefore, I'm extremely saddened that I have had the following issue with them which is making me cancel my service. I tried to come to a resolution but it wasn't possible. The representative was extremely abrasive and only partially willing to work with me. I have autopay enabled and I didn't have the proper funds in the account last month so the payment bounced. I was notified via email and called right in to pay the balance with another card.

Now today I receive a notice that I owe $85.30 ($60.30 for Internet and $25 auto-pay bounce fee). I called in and the representative was extremely difficult but managed to remove the fee as "a one-time courtesy", and I thanked her. Then she goes on to tell me I owe another $25 fee because the next autopay bounced this month. I wasn't notified this time of any bounce, nor did I even receive a statement. The only notification I received was today stating I owe $60.30 + the $25 bounce fee. She claims when I called in last time that I switched autopay off (why would I do that? I didn't). If it's off, then how do I have an autopay bouncing fee? How does that even make sense? Then she claims I have received both calls and emails about it bouncing.

I check my email constantly all day long as I work online and there is no email whatsoever from this company besides advertisements of the McGregor fight, miscellaneous advertisements for services and today's notice that I owe them. Never once was there a notice telling me my payment bounced, or even a monthly statement. This is a fact which the representative argued heavily, telling me I'm wrong and they did email numerous times and call numerous times. I am tuned into my phone 24/7 as that's how I run my home business and file all emails into a billing folder. I know for a fact I did not receive the mail and I highly doubt she has information on hand to see who received what via email.

Also, again... If autopay off, then how do I have an autopay bouncing fee? Obviously this logic is extremely flawed and doesn't make any sense. I can admit to the first one being my fault, but how do you disable autopay on me and then charge me an autopay bouncing fee? No matter how many times I say this aloud it makes no sense. At any rate, she was becoming increasingly confrontational. I asked her to remove the next charge but she refused. So I said I do not want to do business with your company if that's the case because what you're doing is probably illegal and at least wrong, send my call to the cancellations department. She wouldn't transfer my call, she was screaming and arguing and flipping out in a psychotic rage. Totally nuts! I had her on speaker and my family in the room heard her freaking out.

I hung up and called the cancellations department directly and set the cancellation date for September 9th which is the end of my billing cycle. 10 minutes after I'm off the phone my Internet goes down. I wait 20 minutes in case it's a coincidence, but it doesn't come back up. I call cancellations and tell them it's not supposed to be off yet, then he asked which day I wanted it off. Clearly the other representative didn't put the date in (despite her specifically asking me which day I'd like to disconnect), or perhaps the original representative I spoke to took out her revenge on me (wouldn't put it past her after the display she put on). So I had the cable reinstated until the 9th again and it's working as of now.

I am highly disappointed in this company and I am currently filing a complaint with the FCC and the Massachusetts Attorney General. I am saddened that it has come to this, and disgusted at their lack of communication and selection of customer service representatives. At the foundation it's simply a $25 charge, but the principle of the matter (charging me for autopay bounce when they admit it's off, and unwillingness to work out the issue) outweighs any dollar amount and has made me lose trust in this company. I am saddened to lose their service but I cannot put trust into this company any longer.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I was moving on July 10th and put in a shut off request for July 12th, just in case I was there a day or two extra. My usual billing due date was the 29th of the month. So, I figured I had about a half month's credit coming back to me. Then, I get a bill for $6.67. I called them about this and was told, get this, that even though my shut off was for July 12th, the technician didn't get there until July 20th. Like that was my fault that the guy didn't get there until over a week after I scheduled the shut off.

So I was told I would get a credit when it all sorted out but even though the guy came on the 20th it was STILL 9 days before my next bill was due, so there STILL shouldn't have been any charge no matter how small it was. I'm currently waiting to see if I get the credit which is due to me or whether I'm going to have to go round and round with them. It's a small amount of money but it's the principle of the thing to me. Like I'm supposed to pay for their mistake.

Original review: July 16, 2017

We have had RCN cable service since April of this year and since then we have been billed more than once for questionable installation fees. We were initially informed by a sales person that our bill would be $135.00 with all the taxes and fees and they were explained in detail to us with the first bill being slightly lower due to half off installation. So the first bill was low as expected being $60.00. Every bill after that has been between $160.00 - $170.00. We called RCN three times and also contacted the original sales person about the monthly pricing being inaccurate according to what we originally agreed upon and was informed that the monthly cost with taxes and fees should average $160.00 the lowest price available.

This price mind you is for basic cable, no premium channels, (3) small HD boxes with no recording capability and (1) standard box. None of the boxes show the time or channel. They are the small boxes that fit into your pocket basically. This is a complete RIPOFF. So just after 3 months we are going back to Service Electric. Also note that RCN even had to initially complete ground wiring to install the service to the home, all of which was done to eventually hit us with their deceptive pricing. Although we never had issues with their internet we have never had the 50mbps they claim but that could be for many reasons. RCN shame on you and big thumbs down.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I've been having trouble sending and receiving email. I called for help but they barely support Outlook and only if you're lucky enough to get someone who has Outlook themselves. They really only support their web based email which barely has any functionality. If you have your own email program and want to use that, don't sign up with RCN, particularly if you're using email for business.

I'd noticed they had switched from POP to IMAP servers. I keep getting error messages that the IMAP server disconnected me. Yesterday, when I called for support, I'd been informed the change to IMAP occurred about 4-5 months ago, which coincides with when my problems started. I've been with RCN for many years and they used to at least be decent. Now I'm getting thousands of emails getting downloaded to my computer that I deleted in the past and have to try to delete them all again. They're using up my email and computer resources and during the downloads I can't use my email. Those downloads can take a while.

I've lost too many sales to count because of their email changes, for the worse. Businesses particularly should avoid RCN. They are only concerned with their business issues, not how they affect their customers. Oh, and when there are suggestions for changes to change things to save their customers money, such as their cable tv services, which is the most expensive part of their services, they don't care. Money grabbers out for themselves.

Original review: June 18, 2017

UNAUTHORIZED FILE SHARING DETECTED. We have been notified, by a copyright holder, that someone with access to your internet account may have violated Copyright infringement laws by the exchanging of unauthorized copies of the following copyrighted material through the use of our Internet service: Has Irdeto invaded our privacy? Do you know what else is on my personal computer?

These Movies were on a USB stick located in my Smart TV connected to my Home Network. Irdeto/RCN has named off every movie on that USB stick. Which leads me to believe That someone is scanning All of my Home Devices. My Computers are generally off except when I'm using them. I also have a home security. Which again if you're inside my TV why would you not be watching me on my home cameras or accessing my personal server, Laptop, Tablet, cell phone and Desktop. This weekend I spent a great deal of time and money to secure my personal belongings. So can someone explain to me is this random scanning of home devices? Who is Irdeto and why have you given them access to my home Network?

Original review: May 30, 2017

Do not use RCN. Bad company and added more charges that are not taxed. Told me increased sports surcharge and other charges that overlap your bundle. Crooks. The FDC should close them down. Other increased charges. Entertainment surcharge now $7.10 was 4.69. Municipal construction now 2.99 was 2.49. Sports programming now 7.82 was 5.57. Broadcast tv surcharge now 9.03 was 7.78. We pay for our services. This is criminal. Paying for their workers and whatever. We pay for entertainment in bundle. What the hell is going on???

Original review: May 26, 2017

Unfortunately, there are not many options when it comes to cable TV and internet service in the Lehigh Valley. RCN has proven to be incredibly difficult and far below in quality service. My TV and internet have not worked properly in the years time that I have had service. When they finally send someone out to check the service and find there were installation errors, I am the one that was charged a bill for them to do so! I called to complain and the fee was supposedly waived. The following month the amount for this charge shows up on my bill. I am told to pay it and that a credit would appear the following month!

The following month I attempt to make a payment as usual. The month following that a high bill appears. The payment did not go through on their end and I am charged the repair fee, a late fee, and a charge for the payment which they said did not go through! I think it's time the Better Business Bureau steps in to see the way RCN is doing business.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Paid for 25 Mbps and got 16 Mbps when installed. Three months later I now have less than 3.74 Mbps. Since I'm only getting no more than 15% of what I'm paying for I wonder if RCN will continue to provide me with Verizon-like service for only 15% of what they are charging me every month. If you are considering RCN - DO NOT DO IT. Try Comcast. Even though they aren't much better, they at least address your problems and fix them.

Original review: May 24, 2017

When I transferred my account to the new address I was billed $68 dollars for the installation. This bill arrived 2 days after due because it was sent to the old address. So I had a late charge of $8. Then I received two monthly bills for the service--one for each house! Seems they don't consider the old account closed until they have the time to climb the pole and disconnect the service that was digitally disconnected when the move took place. Took them a month to get a workman to climb the pole and so I was charged for that month of service to an empty house. This month the bill included $14 for the installation of outlets that was done in Feb. and paid for with the bill received late and paid in March. What will it be next month? This company is unbelievable!!!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have had so many issues with customer service that I cannot even write them all down. First of all, during the initial installation I should have been getting it free as stated on the website. The customer service rep lured me into signing up to pay money for the same. They charge you $35 for even a single day delay in payment. This is extortion to me. I tried to remove the same by asking the customer rep during a few calls when I knew the payment is going to be late. The reps purposefully kept this charge hidden from me during our conversations. It kept piling up for 3 months and grew to around a $100 in just penalties for late payment.

NEVER do business with this CONMEN. Service sucks compared to other companies I have used before. Some of the other companies do NOT charge you for modem. Also these guys try to lock you into paying rental for their own modem which comes out to be $8 a month. You can easily get a used modem for $20. In short, the WHOLE freaking system is meant to be a SCAM.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I have been a customer of RCN for a good 13 years! On the front line, their Automated System is set up to prompt you for a bill payment, no matter what reason you are calling for. On top of that, several times I have been unable to bypass the bill pay option, no matter what option # chosen. In my many years of being a Customer Service Rep in the same line of work, and in my life experience in general, I have never experienced such a poorly orchestrated set up for customers when they first call into RCN! This is their first line of contact, and it is the worst I have ever seen. Above and beyond the most frustrating prompting system which is an absolute mess, that automated system literally charge my credit card without authorization most recently!

I have no idea what credit card that was As the automated system gave me no feedback option to even try to correct that error, nor did it State which credit card or account it was being removed from. In fact, it gave a very quick thank you for your payment and literally disconnected me! When I called back again and finally was able to bypass this automated system, adding on another good 20 minutes before able to reach a supervisor, the supervisor charged me again and air instead of refunding that amount, which finally led to overdrawing my account. So far, two days, and still not finalized. No one follows through and calling you back even when matters are this urgent.

I have given this company many opportunities to turn their poor service, both technically and in regards to their customer service in general way too many times over too many years, and they continuously fail on all levels. I have only remained with them because I have heard from neighbors that are unhappy with the competition as well. It would be hard to imagine any services being worse than RCN has been for me for this many years, but I am told they are all bad in this area. Who knew or would ever imagine that an automated system could take money out of your banking account without your authorization Yes an automated system!! I wish this company could get zero stars but so far they're not allowing that!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I have had RCN since September. I'm finally cancelling my services after 4 technicians, countless phone calls, hours of wasted time, and actual tears. My one bedroom apartment has never fully received cable and internet like I requested, and it's been such a struggle trying to fix it or get refunds. Their customer service verbally abuses people on the phone. Their technicians are not knowledgeable. Their service is not reliable. Their equipment does not work. I've had the worst cable experience of my life with RCN. Hidden fees, improper installation, improper billing, customer harassment, you name it!

They even sent a technician to my home once who dropped off some of their equipment without installing it... and didn't have any record of it in their system! Then they accused me of lying about it. They also told me their internet doesn't work in my apartment because I have something in the walls, so I'd have to buy my own expensive equipment instead of renting theirs. The whole thing is absurd. I'm honestly shocked this is even a company. Do yourself a favor and take your business somewhere else, RCN doesn't care about it!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I phoned to ask why my bill had gone up. The agent said it was due to an increase in taxes, surcharges and fees. So, I asked him to tell me the difference between my current monthly service charge and the one in December. The difference was between $5 and $6 dollars. I pointed out to him that it was not only the taxes that had gone up, but the monthly charge, as well. He said, well, for most customers it is due to the taxes, etc, rising. I countered with the fact I did not like that he was not being honest with me when I first asked the question, and that if my monthly rate had increased, I am sure others' had as well.

So, I asked him if he could get me a better monthly rate. There was some hemming and hawing, and a short delay, but he did then find a cheaper rate for me... Cheaper than in December! Lesson learned, keep an eye on your bill, and when they increase it, ask for a better deal. They won't want you going elsewhere, so they will give you one. But, they are into trying to con you, so you have to have your wits about you. Still, they win in the end. Still, I did get a bit of a discount, for my time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I discovered that RCN had been charging me $10.95 a month for the last 5 years for an extra Digital Converter Box which I do not have. Five years ago, when the technician swapped out the old box for a TiVo box as part of an upgrade, he was supposed to have taken the equipment back with him to RCN. Apparently that equipment was either lost or not tracked properly because RCN claims they never received it. They have charged me $695 to date, for this error on their part. The customer service rep initially made it sound like there was nothing she could do because account says I have two boxes, and not only did she not apologize, it sounded like she did not even believe me. She told me she has never heard of this happening before. (By the way, when I looked on ConsumerAffairs site, I find two other reports about the same issue within 2 minutes of looking).

I told her that it is an error on their part and I can prove with photographs or by verification from my landlord that I have only ever had one TV in my apartment for that last 5 years, or they can send a technician out to check that I only have one TV and one box. The customer service rep then told me that the only thing she can do is fill in a form to raise a case for the missing box to see if they can find it (from 5 years ago!). She told me that in any case, they would definitely not reimburse me for five years. I suspect they are not going to reimburse me at all. Absolutely appalling that they can get away with this and the consumer has no recourse!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I have been with RCN for 10 years. I USUALLY PAY MY BILL AT THE BETHLEHEM OFFICE. I called RCN to pay my bill by phone. I have a minor speech issue and the automated service did not understand me so I waited for a representative, They wanted to charge me $6 because the machine did not understand me. I am going to drive my bill out to the office again. I am 70 years old and it is a rainy miserable day. This is discrimination and it makes me sick. They do not have a system where you can press a number, you must use voice commands.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Unsure of all the bad reviews. I have had some minimal issues with RCN but they always made everything right. For one, MANY of the installers and technicians are CONTRACTORS. If the contracting company does NOT train properly, that is on the contractor. I never saw an RCN employee being a flat out idiot. Anyway: 2 Pros - Almost always consistent internet speeds (I still run just 25/4) and run over 30 devices including but not limited to, my connections to my NVR streaming my live video and Alarm system connection and also a smoke/CO2/temperature monitor etc. - Minimal downtime if ever. Customer service has always been very good aside from when trying to compile a package of services to get a better price. New customers get the deals, not existing.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I have only been a RCN customer for 2 and a half months. I initially ordered the internet service after being with Verizon for some 30 years. They didn't offer FIOS in my area, so I decided to switch. Big mistake. RCN has the worst customer service ever. 2 days after installing the internet service, I decided that it may have been cheaper to have their phone service as well. The second tech came out to install the phone service where he just connected everything to the existing equipment. My first bill for $123 I was told covered just the installation of the internet. My second bill of $97 I was told was for the installation of the phone.

I phoned RCN and ask how can I be charged for the phone installation when the tech only tapped into what was already there. They decided to give me a $30 dollar credit. When I received bill number 3, the $30 dollars was added as a past due amount and another charge for the activation of the phone jack. I furiously phone and spoke to 2 separate reps who basically said that this is the way it is and when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they were only going to say the same thing. I told them that I would be cancelling the service just as soon as I can hook up with another service. RCN does not value its customers and buyer beware, because they charge a la carte for everything.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I just moved from Boston to Denver and miss the service I had with RCN. On one account, they set up my internet so that I had two options. One had short range but was very fast. The other had longer range but was slower. That way, I could download things quickly but could switch if I wanted to the slower option if I wanted to use my computer on the porch. It was excellent! They were also great to talk to, seemed a lot more genuine and less scripted than Comcast, who I had called first but got turned off by their customer service. I am now trying to find an RCN equivalent in Denver but am having trouble.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

So first of all, when they first came to install my cable and internet, they had to come three times because they kept getting the number of rooms wrong. On the second time, I even told the installer what had happened and while he was installing in the living room, I asked him where the other boxes were for the other rooms and he ACTUALLY STARTED YELLING AT ME. "Why didn't you tell me this when I got here?!" As if it was my fault. Needless to say, I was not going to stand for this and bewildered, tried to explain to him that it was not my responsibility to make sure they got the orders right and that one should never ever ever ever yell at a customer, especially for something like this.

Then this guy storms out of my apartment and as I still had my Time Warner boxes, disconnects everything so that I can't use any cable or internet service for several days. I should have learned my lesson I guess but it was a lot cheaper than TW so I allowed them to come back to install my cable and internet but I was out of cable and internet for two or three days.

I've had connection problems now twice and they sent technicians out who did absolutely nothing and then they had the nerve to charge me $50.00 each time for the visit. The first time this happened the customer service rep insisted I have someone come out even though my internet started working again and didn't see the need. When I got my bill, I noticed a $50 charge for the visit. Of course, I was furious. Why should I have to pay for someone to come out and fix a service I'm already paying for? So I called and they had the nerve to give me a hard time about it but I threatened to cancel and they finally took the charge off.

A few months later, my internet was running very slow. I did a speed test as they suggested and it was literally running at about 10% of what it should. I repeated this test several times to verify and used different websites which all reported the same speed. So I called and again they told me someone would have to come out but assured me I would not be charged but sure enough, I was charged another $50. So again I called and the customer service rep tried to tell me I was responsible for this charge and yada yada yada; at this point I wasn't listening.

I do remember he told me I should get a service protection plan and I thought "the nerve!" I had to tell him at that point that I wanted to cancel everything. Of course, he then put me on hold for a few minutes to speak to his manager. I'm sure he didn't do anything. He then said, "OK, we're going to take the charge off THIS TIME but you need to understand..." I just hung up on him. I can't put into words how unprofessional and sleazy this company is. No matter how bad you think your cable company is. I'd bet money they aren't as bad as RCN.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I was with RCN for about 4 or 5 years and had many bad experiences with cable and Internet connection issues. But the real reason for this review is after being with my new provider for some time a cable I believed belonged to my previous RCN service had come loose. I contacted RCN about three times in my busy schedule and was promised every call that within 24 to 48 hours a technician would come. This started about a month ago and still a cable dangles from my house. The last call the lady on the phone said they would have technicians call me back, THEY NEVER DID. My neighbor told me he saw a technician come by one day and told him it's a Service Electric cable who I never had. I also don't know why they would tell my neighbor this and not notify me. I guess I will try calling them now.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I have limped along with RCN for 14 years without anything awful happening - just getting barely adequate though expensive service, not bad enough to overcome inertia of switching. Switched last week to Verizon Fios. Installation was smooth and both phone lines worked well. Waited a few days to make sure Verizon was working consistently well. It was. So called RCN to cancel and was told by a series of agents and then three supervisors that they could not cancel my account because Verizon had NOT done correct request for "porting" one of my phone numbers, even though the phone number had been successfully working for the past week.

RCN kept insisting that issue was not if phone had been ported, but that Verizon had not submitted the correct paperwork to RCN for the phone line. RCN insisted that I had to get the "correct form" from Verizon in order for RCN to shut off my service. I kept trying RCN agents until I found a sane one who simply agreed to close my account and informed me how to return the RCN hardware/equipment. No mention of "correct form," etc. 3.5 hours!!! Perhaps I finally hit on an agent who had not yet taken the RCN Mendacity In-Service. Never get in their clutches if you can avoid it.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I've been a customer for more than 17 years with a static ip address that I pay 19.95 a month extra to have. For the past 10 or more years RCN either changes my static ip to dynamic or changes the static ip all together. When I moved 6 blocks within the same community recently I called to move my service and asked specifically if I could keep my ip and was told yes. When the installer came he stated that nothing would change and for a week I had the ip that I was paying for. Within 7 days my internet went off. I called and was told they put a ticket in to resolve the matter. 3 days later after many calls to tech support and customer service I finally had my original ip back. Then within 24 hours it went down again.

I called a supervisor and was lied to stating that I was given a new ip from the beginning but that was not true because Whats My IP confirmed that I was in fact pilling that ip from the beginning or else I would never have been able to see my dvr online. I called corporate offices in North New Jersey and was told that I would have an answer by close of the business day. It's almost 9 PM and no call. The FRC and FCC needs to address all the issue with this company. When you call their number you hear 30 seconds of info about their internet service but for the next 6 minutes all you hear is talk about entertainment packages and pay per view or on demand shows. It's clear to see where their interests lie.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I had three incredibly horrible experiences with RCN tech support reps. All three treated me like a moron. The first call was about my VCR not pausing anymore. The rep made me check all my connections, reset my modem, etc, even after I told him that this all clearly can't have anything to do with the problem, because I did get the cable service, the pause button just didn't work. So they finally send someone out. The guy also didn't listen to me, checked all the connections, changed the batteries on the remote without me even asking when I last changed them, only to admit after disconnecting and reconnecting all my equipment that there must be something wrong with the VCR's pause button.

Today the Internet service cut in and out. The tech support made me do a thousand things, which didn't help at all. I asked if there may have been other people reporting a service outage in the Chicago area, which they denied, although I checked on the internet where Chicago was listed as an affected area. Those reps are annoying, don't listen, and treat you like an idiot. Unbelievable!

Original review: April 21, 2016

RCN customer service and techs are terrible. I have been trying to use On Demand for over a year. I swapped out my own equipment-- had techs come, called multiple times and still no Demand. The message I get is "Since you were able to get the channels, which is what you pay for, we are not able to do any further compensation for On Demand service which is a free service." How is that an answer? "Sorry we lied about On Demand. You do not get that service but sign up with us," that's what they should say. What gall, sending me coupons for free movies on Demand. I just told them I cannot get On Demand. I am cancelling them and would not recommend RCN to anyone.

RCN Company Information