RCN

RCN

1.5/5 (286 ratings)

About RCN

RCN Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Astound Broadband?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Current Pledge. "We’ve made a pledge to our customers to put them first in everything we do. We are dedicated to going the extra mile to ensure our customers’ experiences are astounding, every 39 minutes on hold to tell me they don't have an answer as to why my bill is wrong. And want to charge me $9.00 because I spoke to a person to pay my bill time." It is off by $100.29. My recommendation for an accurate pledge... "We don't care about you or our time... It's all about the revenue stream like the $9.77 a month we charge you under the code of Network Access and Maintenance fee. We have you by the bytes and nothing you can do about it..." -> Much more accurate. Can't wait for Comcast to come in our area.

RCN response

Hello, Thomas! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. Two of our goals is to offer a variety of competitively priced packages along with stellar customer care. I'd be glad to review your account to make sure you have the best value for your needs. Please email me at social_reviews@rcn.net with "Attn Jackie" in the subject so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued Astound customer! -Jackie

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I am a university student who moved to DC a year ago. Like many others, RCN offered acceptable speeds for relatively cheap prices. Not wanting another 100 dollar bill I chose their 100 Mbps speed for 29.99 option. This didn't last long. As many others have said here, my bill slowly increased without me noticing until I checked my account status randomly to see an 80 dollar bill on my account. This being a far cry from 29.99, I called the company and asked them to disconnect the service.

They made every excuse to not disconnect the service, and after an hour and a half I finally got the rep to agree to cut it off, she says that I have to keep the service connected until they get the modem, but then makes up every way she can imagine that I can't get the modem to them. The nearest store is outside of my city limits, which I couldn't return. Having paid for their insurance for 8 months I ask why I can't just use that insurance that covers tech visits to have a rep come and get it. She makes me wait 30 minutes on hold before saying I have to pay 15 dollars for the visit plus pay for every day for the 2 weeks until the next appointment supposedly was free.

She also says that if I miss the visit (which she doesn't give me a specified time for probably intentionally), I have to pay for the whole day plus another visit and any other day I have the modem. I call today to ask if I can leave the modem at the desk as I have to go to lab on that day and the customer service lady this time tries to trump the charges up to 80 dollars and I say I already got quoted for 15. She starts yelling at me then hangs up. I call back and now have been on hold for 30 minutes. They are intentionally obstructing me from disconnecting their garbage internet service to extort me with a modem they know I can't return physically to their locations out in the boondocks while making certain that I can't get a sure time for them to get it.

RCN response

Hello, Andrew! Thank you for sharing your recent Astound powered by RCN experience. I'm disappointed to hear that you weren't happy with our service and chose to disconnect. I would have loved the opportunity to personally ensure that your concerns were resolved. We provide free Fedex shipping labels upon request that you can use to ship your equipment back to us. Thank you for your feedback, and for the time you spent with the Astound service family. -Jackie

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

So a little less than 2 months ago I called up RCN/Astound and complained my rates were getting too high. After a 30 min. conversation I was switched to a different plan for a lower rate. I asked the rep. how long that price would be good for and she told me 12 months without any increases. Fast forward 2 months, my rate just increased by $5 a month. I've called RCN/Astound 4 times now and asked for a supervisor so they could explain to me the increase in my monthly rate. One is NEVER available (even after waiting 40 mins. on hold) but I am assured by the rep. that a supervisor will call me back within 24 hrs. It's been almost 2 weeks now and no one has returned my call. 4 separate promises for a callback and nothing.

Also, I doubt whether many of their reps. have passed a GED. One woman asked me my name and I told her, she said, "We have no account under that name so I can't help you." I told her I didn't have any aliases and she asked what alias meant. Finally I said, it may be under "James" because I told her my name was "Jim." She said that was the problem and that she had never heard that "Jim" was a shortened name for "James." Really!!?? Well, I'm still waiting for a call back from a supervisor, hopefully before Thanksgiving but I'm not holding my breath. On their website they claim they have won awards for their customer service but conveniently leave out who gave them that award. It's laughable how bad they really are.

RCN response

Hello, James. Thank you for reaching out to Astound powered by RCN. Our goals are to provide affordable service and exceptional customer care. I'm disappointed that you did not hear back from our care team when a call back was promised. Let's review your account together. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the Astound service family. -Jackie

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Do not go with this company, on top of being super rude to their customers they raise their prices without notice. What they do is that they give you a low price and then they add all this “sub charges”. When you open your eyes you paying $80 for bad service. On top of being rude to you they also condescending telling you how all the companies do this. They do but at least they give you good customer service and good internet. Not mediocre service and customer service. The internet sucks. If it rain good luck getting good signal. I went with Spectrum at the moment, I will Pay 80 for good internet. You will keep losing customers. Skip this company. I’m surprise how this is still Operating. Would never!

RCN response

Hello, Yesenia! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. Our goal is to offer a variety of affordable packages. I'm sorry to hear you left our service family. I would have loved the opportunity to review your account to make sure you have the best value for your needs. Please private message your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for the time you spent with the Astound service family! -Jackie

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

The reason why this company is called Astound is because of its astoundingly horrible service. I’m writing this review on behalf of a friend who has been a Wow/RCN/Astound customer for years. His phone, cable, and internet services were abruptly disconnected last week without notice, citing “old hardware” as the reason, despite the fact everything seemed to be working properly up to that moment. He wasn’t home when a service person came to resolve the issue, and was then told the next time a person could come out is over three weeks away! So he is expected to be without phone/cable/internet for another three weeks? There must be one person in a van expected to service all Astound customers in the Chicago area.

My friend is an elderly gentleman experiencing memory issues and we’re trying to give him a few more comfortable months living in his home of 40+ years before transitioning him to an assisted care facility. He can’t be tasked with remembering a new phone number. We’re trying to transfer his phone service to another provider, but his phone must first be reactivated by Astound before his number can be transferred to another provider. And of course Astound won’t reactivate the line because why would they want to lose a customer?

Astound is a soulless and clueless company, lacking in both heart and brains. Other phone/cable companies also get a bad rap, but they’re at least large and agile enough to handle customer concerns and make service calls within 24 hours. I expect there will be a bot response to this review with pre-packaged company jargon about how they don’t want to lose a customer and to contact for further help, but I have little hope this situation will be resolved quickly. Save yourself the agony of dealing with Astound and just go with another phone/cable provider.

RCN response

Hi, Joy! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide affordable, reliable service and the highest level of customer care. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball. We encourage your friend to reach out to us, as we are not able to discuss accounts with other than those in the household. Please give them the contact social_reviews@astound.com with "Attn Jackie" in the subject so I can better assist them. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: July 24, 2022

Well first thing they did is authorize a double payment on my bank card. Thankfully my bank noticed a replica payment. Now they shut off my internet before the bill due date but then realized they made a mistake. When I called customer service the girl must of just woken up because she was working from home. She was mumbling her words so I hung up. Absolutely useless customer service.

RCN response

Hello, Jack! Thank you for your interest in Astound powered by Grande! One of our goals is to deliver stellar customer care. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball, but I would be happy to look into your billing concerns Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the Astound service family! -Jackie

Original review: July 13, 2022

I got to wait 6 days till my internet be back working. But don’t pay they be quick to call or mail you something. They need to hire more technicians to work on people service because no one should have to wait almost a week to get your service fixed. That don’t make sense at all. And they really need to get their stuff together. Because I can not wait that long. I am about to leave this company because it is always something.

RCN response

Hello, Mark! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. One of our top priorities is to deliver fast, stable service. I understand how disruptive connection issues can be. I would be happy to review your account and determine the best way to resolve your concerns. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the Astound family! -Jackie

Original review: July 6, 2022

I can only speak to RCN Internet that I've had for several years. My latest experience with them was to upgrade my speed to one of their standard tiers. It went smoothly and now I'm getting twice the speed for the same price. I've now upgraded my speed twice with them to their new standards. I originally came from Comcast Xfinity because of Comcast's imposition of data caps in the Midwest. Other than that I was fine with Comcast although it was a little pricey. Haven't had any RCN internet outages that I've noticed in the past year so it currently is on par with Comcast for quality where I had no to few issues either.

My only minor complaints about RCN are that it is harder to do anything on the web with them - you are better calling in. I wish they would advertise their 'normal' pricing instead of just their introductory pricing. I think their normal pricing is about 2x the introductory prices, but good luck finding that anywhere and so some people might be upset when the introductory pricing goes away.

RCN response

Hi, David! Thank you for sharing your recent Astound powered by RCN experience. We're glad to see that you are enjoying your connection with us! If there is anything we can do to earn five stars in the future, please don't hesitate to send us a private message. Thank you for being a valued Astound customer! -Jackie

Original review: July 6, 2022

Very poor connectivity. Since astound took over, connectivity has been unreliable. Customer service is even worse. Long wait times on the phone, Agents do not understand what I am saying, Never had this kind of trouble with WOW.

RCN response

Hello, Sean! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide reliable service and the highest level of customer care. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued member of the Astound service family! -Jackie

Original review: June 28, 2022

Last June 2021 we left Comcast for RCN for a lower rate which totaled $152.73. That rate was supposed to be fixed until now (June 2022). However, in Dec 2021, 6 months later, they raised the rate to $163.57. We just received our July bill for $243.17 - over $90 higher than one year ago! And the service has been substandard. Frequent freezes on the TV with "video loading" appearing. My husband has had to call RCN/Astound several times to get this corrected. Needless to say, we are going to look for another company.

RCN response

Hello, Marilyn! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. Our goals are to provide our customers affordable, reliable service and the very best customer care. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued Astound customer! -Jackie

RCN Company Information