RCN

RCN

1.5/5 (282 ratings)

About RCN

RCN Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Astound Broadband?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

The reason why this company is called Astound is because of its astoundingly horrible service. I’m writing this review on behalf of a friend who has been a Wow/RCN/Astound customer for years. His phone, cable, and internet services were abruptly disconnected last week without notice, citing “old hardware” as the reason, despite the fact everything seemed to be working properly up to that moment. He wasn’t home when a service person came to resolve the issue, and was then told the next time a person could come out is over three weeks away! So he is expected to be without phone/cable/internet for another three weeks? There must be one person in a van expected to service all Astound customers in the Chicago area.

My friend is an elderly gentleman experiencing memory issues and we’re trying to give him a few more comfortable months living in his home of 40+ years before transitioning him to an assisted care facility. He can’t be tasked with remembering a new phone number. We’re trying to transfer his phone service to another provider, but his phone must first be reactivated by Astound before his number can be transferred to another provider. And of course Astound won’t reactivate the line because why would they want to lose a customer?

Astound is a soulless and clueless company, lacking in both heart and brains. Other phone/cable companies also get a bad rap, but they’re at least large and agile enough to handle customer concerns and make service calls within 24 hours. I expect there will be a bot response to this review with pre-packaged company jargon about how they don’t want to lose a customer and to contact for further help, but I have little hope this situation will be resolved quickly. Save yourself the agony of dealing with Astound and just go with another phone/cable provider.

RCN response

Hi, Joy! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide affordable, reliable service and the highest level of customer care. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball. We encourage your friend to reach out to us, as we are not able to discuss accounts with other than those in the household. Please give them the contact social_reviews@astound.com with "Attn Jackie" in the subject so I can better assist them. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: July 24, 2022

Well first thing they did is authorize a double payment on my bank card. Thankfully my bank noticed a replica payment. Now they shut off my internet before the bill due date but then realized they made a mistake. When I called customer service the girl must of just woken up because she was working from home. She was mumbling her words so I hung up. Absolutely useless customer service.

RCN response

Hello, Jack! Thank you for your interest in Astound powered by Grande! One of our goals is to deliver stellar customer care. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball, but I would be happy to look into your billing concerns Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the Astound service family! -Jackie

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2022

I got to wait 6 days till my internet be back working. But don’t pay they be quick to call or mail you something. They need to hire more technicians to work on people service because no one should have to wait almost a week to get your service fixed. That don’t make sense at all. And they really need to get their stuff together. Because I can not wait that long. I am about to leave this company because it is always something.

RCN response

Hello, Mark! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. One of our top priorities is to deliver fast, stable service. I understand how disruptive connection issues can be. I would be happy to review your account and determine the best way to resolve your concerns. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the Astound family! -Jackie

Original review: July 6, 2022

I can only speak to RCN Internet that I've had for several years. My latest experience with them was to upgrade my speed to one of their standard tiers. It went smoothly and now I'm getting twice the speed for the same price. I've now upgraded my speed twice with them to their new standards. I originally came from Comcast Xfinity because of Comcast's imposition of data caps in the Midwest. Other than that I was fine with Comcast although it was a little pricey. Haven't had any RCN internet outages that I've noticed in the past year so it currently is on par with Comcast for quality where I had no to few issues either.

My only minor complaints about RCN are that it is harder to do anything on the web with them - you are better calling in. I wish they would advertise their 'normal' pricing instead of just their introductory pricing. I think their normal pricing is about 2x the introductory prices, but good luck finding that anywhere and so some people might be upset when the introductory pricing goes away.

RCN response

Hi, David! Thank you for sharing your recent Astound powered by RCN experience. We're glad to see that you are enjoying your connection with us! If there is anything we can do to earn five stars in the future, please don't hesitate to send us a private message. Thank you for being a valued Astound customer! -Jackie

Original review: July 6, 2022

Very poor connectivity. Since astound took over, connectivity has been unreliable. Customer service is even worse. Long wait times on the phone, Agents do not understand what I am saying, Never had this kind of trouble with WOW.

RCN response

Hello, Sean! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide reliable service and the highest level of customer care. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued member of the Astound service family! -Jackie

Original review: June 28, 2022

Last June 2021 we left Comcast for RCN for a lower rate which totaled $152.73. That rate was supposed to be fixed until now (June 2022). However, in Dec 2021, 6 months later, they raised the rate to $163.57. We just received our July bill for $243.17 - over $90 higher than one year ago! And the service has been substandard. Frequent freezes on the TV with "video loading" appearing. My husband has had to call RCN/Astound several times to get this corrected. Needless to say, we are going to look for another company.

RCN response

Hello, Marilyn! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Astound powered by RCN. Our goals are to provide our customers affordable, reliable service and the very best customer care. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued Astound customer! -Jackie

Original review: April 10, 2022

Was with RCN for a couple of months so former customer. Service was okay but after a while, my bill kept going up and up and no matter what I did or talked to. It didn't go down or was lowered. After trying my best to stay with them I finally had to cancel and move to AT&T/DirecTV. My bill is half what I was paying for RCN.

RCN response

Hi, Summer! Thank you for sharing your Astound powered by RCN experience. We strive to provide a variety of affordable packages. I'm sad to hear you are no longer a customer. We would love the opportunity to serve you again! Feel free to private message us your full address so we can discuss current offers in your area. Thank you for the time you spent with our service family! -Jackie

Original review: March 4, 2022

Called and requested a site survey to bury cabling as our cables are aerial and go through neighbor's property. This is likely not even legal, but the neighbor hasn't complained. We are trying to do something about it and have wires buried the same way as electrical is from the same pole. Rep on the phone wanted to "send a technician," then casually mentions "possible 79.95 fee" when I explained there is no tech support necessary, it's a survey to see assess the possibility of burying cables. I asked for engineering dept, and was told "there is no engineering dept" which I know for a fact is a lie. Then the rude rep simply hung up on me.

I cannot begin to tell you the frustration and anxiety of dealing with this company over the years. Comcast, sadly, is no better, and my guess is both are colluding to defraud and manipulate customers equally so when one loses business, the other one picks it up. Waiting for Starry or some other WiMax service to come in and compete head to head with these jokers, but no viable non-cable solution is presently offered.

RCN response

Hello, Invino! Thank you for sharing your recent Astound powered by RCN experience. One of our goals is to provide the best customer care, especially during these uncertain times. I would be glad to look into this concern for you. Please private message us your account details so I can better assist you. Thank you for being a member of our service family! -Jackie

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Please save yourself the trouble and do not become an RCN customer. They quoted the wrong amount for services, the tech set the services up wrong, had to get a second tech out. The management never wanted to fix the account set-up. I was being charged $185 monthly just for internet services. I canceled all services within that same week. Please save yourself the time and frustrations, it is not worth it.

Hello, Adriana!

Thank you for reaching out to Astound powered by RCN. We strive to provide affordable package, accurate billing and convenient tech visits. I'm sad to hear that we dropped the ball and that you are no longer a customer. If there are any remaining concerns we can help you with, please feel free to send us private message so we can better assist you.

Thank you for the time you spent with Astound powered by RCN!

-Jackie

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My monthly fee for RCN internet service has been increasing over the last several months (in total by 28.7%). I reached out to RCN and was informed that in the next few months my bill will be more than double the current price. I requested a price information/sheet for my area and was informed that it is only available on the back end. Within my online account, it states that pricing may change every month and to reference bill for details. The bill lacks any specifics. I have been with RCN for a while now and in previous years they were willing to assist/address this. However, it is now pretty clear that keeping current customers is not of interest to RCN. As of writing this review, I am researching other providers and plan to switch in the new year.

RCN response

Hello, S! Thank you for sharing your recent RCN experience. We strive to provide a variety of affordable packages. Pricing increases when promotional discounts expire or in the event of a company-wide rate increase. I would be glad to review your account to make sure that you are getting the best possible value for your needs. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a part of the RCN service family! -Jackie

RCN Company Information