RCN

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have had RCN cable service since April of this year and since then we have been billed more than once for questionable installation fees. We were initially informed by a sales person that our bill would be $135.00 with all the taxes and fees and they were explained in detail to us with the first bill being slightly lower due to half off installation. So the first bill was low as expected being $60.00. Every bill after that has been between $160.00 - $170.00. We called RCN three times and also contacted the original sales person about the monthly pricing being inaccurate according to what we originally agreed upon and was informed that the monthly cost with taxes and fees should average $160.00 the lowest price available.

This price mind you is for basic cable, no premium channels, (3) small HD boxes with no recording capability and (1) standard box. None of the boxes show the time or channel. They are the small boxes that fit into your pocket basically. This is a complete RIPOFF. So just after 3 months we are going back to Service Electric. Also note that RCN even had to initially complete ground wiring to install the service to the home, all of which was done to eventually hit us with their deceptive pricing. Although we never had issues with their internet we have never had the 50mbps they claim but that could be for many reasons. RCN shame on you and big thumbs down.

I've been having trouble sending and receiving email. I called for help but they barely support Outlook and only if you're lucky enough to get someone who has Outlook themselves. They really only support their web based email which barely has any functionality. If you have your own email program and want to use that, don't sign up with RCN, particularly if you're using email for business.

I'd noticed they had switched from POP to IMAP servers. I keep getting error messages that the IMAP server disconnected me. Yesterday, when I called for support, I'd been informed the change to IMAP occurred about 4-5 months ago, which coincides with when my problems started. I've been with RCN for many years and they used to at least be decent. Now I'm getting thousands of emails getting downloaded to my computer that I deleted in the past and have to try to delete them all again. They're using up my email and computer resources and during the downloads I can't use my email. Those downloads can take a while.

I've lost too many sales to count because of their email changes, for the worse. Businesses particularly should avoid RCN. They are only concerned with their business issues, not how they affect their customers. Oh, and when there are suggestions for changes to change things to save their customers money, such as their cable tv services, which is the most expensive part of their services, they don't care. Money grabbers out for themselves.

UNAUTHORIZED FILE SHARING DETECTED. We have been notified, by a copyright holder, that someone with access to your internet account may have violated Copyright infringement laws by the exchanging of unauthorized copies of the following copyrighted material through the use of our Internet service: Has Irdeto invaded our privacy? Do you know what else is on my personal computer?

These Movies were on a USB stick located in my Smart TV connected to my Home Network. Irdeto/RCN has named off every movie on that USB stick. Which leads me to believe That someone is scanning All of my Home Devices. My Computers are generally off except when I'm using them. I also have a home security. Which again if you're inside my TV why would you not be watching me on my home cameras or accessing my personal server, Laptop, Tablet, cell phone and Desktop. This weekend I spent a great deal of time and money to secure my personal belongings. So can someone explain to me is this random scanning of home devices? Who is Irdeto and why have you given them access to my home Network?

Do not use RCN. Bad company and added more charges that are not taxed. Told me increased sports surcharge and other charges that overlap your bundle. Crooks. The FDC should close them down. Other increased charges. Entertainment surcharge now $7.10 was 4.69. Municipal construction now 2.99 was 2.49. Sports programming now 7.82 was 5.57. Broadcast tv surcharge now 9.03 was 7.78. We pay for our services. This is criminal. Paying for their workers and whatever. We pay for entertainment in bundle. What the hell is going on???

Unfortunately, there are not many options when it comes to cable TV and internet service in the Lehigh Valley. RCN has proven to be incredibly difficult and far below in quality service. My TV and internet have not worked properly in the years time that I have had service. When they finally send someone out to check the service and find there were installation errors, I am the one that was charged a bill for them to do so! I called to complain and the fee was supposedly waived. The following month the amount for this charge shows up on my bill. I am told to pay it and that a credit would appear the following month!

The following month I attempt to make a payment as usual. The month following that a high bill appears. The payment did not go through on their end and I am charged the repair fee, a late fee, and a charge for the payment which they said did not go through! I think it's time the Better Business Bureau steps in to see the way RCN is doing business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Paid for 25 Mbps and got 16 Mbps when installed. Three months later I now have less than 3.74 Mbps. Since I'm only getting no more than 15% of what I'm paying for I wonder if RCN will continue to provide me with Verizon-like service for only 15% of what they are charging me every month. If you are considering RCN - DO NOT DO IT. Try Comcast. Even though they aren't much better, they at least address your problems and fix them.

When I transferred my account to the new address I was billed $68 dollars for the installation. This bill arrived 2 days after due because it was sent to the old address. So I had a late charge of $8. Then I received two monthly bills for the service--one for each house! Seems they don't consider the old account closed until they have the time to climb the pole and disconnect the service that was digitally disconnected when the move took place. Took them a month to get a workman to climb the pole and so I was charged for that month of service to an empty house. This month the bill included $14 for the installation of outlets that was done in Feb. and paid for with the bill received late and paid in March. What will it be next month? This company is unbelievable!!!

I have had so many issues with customer service that I cannot even write them all down. First of all, during the initial installation I should have been getting it free as stated on the website. The customer service rep lured me into signing up to pay money for the same. They charge you $35 for even a single day delay in payment. This is extortion to me. I tried to remove the same by asking the customer rep during a few calls when I knew the payment is going to be late. The reps purposefully kept this charge hidden from me during our conversations. It kept piling up for 3 months and grew to around a $100 in just penalties for late payment.

NEVER do business with this CONMEN. Service sucks compared to other companies I have used before. Some of the other companies do NOT charge you for modem. Also these guys try to lock you into paying rental for their own modem which comes out to be $8 a month. You can easily get a used modem for $20. In short, the WHOLE freaking system is meant to be a SCAM.

I have been a customer of RCN for a good 13 years! On the front line, their Automated System is set up to prompt you for a bill payment, no matter what reason you are calling for. On top of that, several times I have been unable to bypass the bill pay option, no matter what option # chosen. In my many years of being a Customer Service Rep in the same line of work, and in my life experience in general, I have never experienced such a poorly orchestrated set up for customers when they first call into RCN! This is their first line of contact, and it is the worst I have ever seen. Above and beyond the most frustrating prompting system which is an absolute mess, that automated system literally charge my credit card without authorization most recently!

I have no idea what credit card that was As the automated system gave me no feedback option to even try to correct that error, nor did it State which credit card or account it was being removed from. In fact, it gave a very quick thank you for your payment and literally disconnected me! When I called back again and finally was able to bypass this automated system, adding on another good 20 minutes before able to reach a supervisor, the supervisor charged me again and air instead of refunding that amount, which finally led to overdrawing my account. So far, two days, and still not finalized. No one follows through and calling you back even when matters are this urgent.

I have given this company many opportunities to turn their poor service, both technically and in regards to their customer service in general way too many times over too many years, and they continuously fail on all levels. I have only remained with them because I have heard from neighbors that are unhappy with the competition as well. It would be hard to imagine any services being worse than RCN has been for me for this many years, but I am told they are all bad in this area. Who knew or would ever imagine that an automated system could take money out of your banking account without your authorization Yes an automated system!! I wish this company could get zero stars but so far they're not allowing that!

I have had RCN since September. I'm finally cancelling my services after 4 technicians, countless phone calls, hours of wasted time, and actual tears. My one bedroom apartment has never fully received cable and internet like I requested, and it's been such a struggle trying to fix it or get refunds. Their customer service verbally abuses people on the phone. Their technicians are not knowledgeable. Their service is not reliable. Their equipment does not work. I've had the worst cable experience of my life with RCN. Hidden fees, improper installation, improper billing, customer harassment, you name it!

They even sent a technician to my home once who dropped off some of their equipment without installing it... and didn't have any record of it in their system! Then they accused me of lying about it. They also told me their internet doesn't work in my apartment because I have something in the walls, so I'd have to buy my own expensive equipment instead of renting theirs. The whole thing is absurd. I'm honestly shocked this is even a company. Do yourself a favor and take your business somewhere else, RCN doesn't care about it!

I phoned to ask why my bill had gone up. The agent said it was due to an increase in taxes, surcharges and fees. So, I asked him to tell me the difference between my current monthly service charge and the one in December. The difference was between $5 and $6 dollars. I pointed out to him that it was not only the taxes that had gone up, but the monthly charge, as well. He said, well, for most customers it is due to the taxes, etc, rising. I countered with the fact I did not like that he was not being honest with me when I first asked the question, and that if my monthly rate had increased, I am sure others' had as well.

So, I asked him if he could get me a better monthly rate. There was some hemming and hawing, and a short delay, but he did then find a cheaper rate for me... Cheaper than in December! Lesson learned, keep an eye on your bill, and when they increase it, ask for a better deal. They won't want you going elsewhere, so they will give you one. But, they are into trying to con you, so you have to have your wits about you. Still, they win in the end. Still, I did get a bit of a discount, for my time.

I discovered that RCN had been charging me $10.95 a month for the last 5 years for an extra Digital Converter Box which I do not have. Five years ago, when the technician swapped out the old box for a TiVo box as part of an upgrade, he was supposed to have taken the equipment back with him to RCN. Apparently that equipment was either lost or not tracked properly because RCN claims they never received it. They have charged me $695 to date, for this error on their part. The customer service rep initially made it sound like there was nothing she could do because account says I have two boxes, and not only did she not apologize, it sounded like she did not even believe me. She told me she has never heard of this happening before. (By the way, when I looked on ConsumerAffairs site, I find two other reports about the same issue within 2 minutes of looking).

I told her that it is an error on their part and I can prove with photographs or by verification from my landlord that I have only ever had one TV in my apartment for that last 5 years, or they can send a technician out to check that I only have one TV and one box. The customer service rep then told me that the only thing she can do is fill in a form to raise a case for the missing box to see if they can find it (from 5 years ago!). She told me that in any case, they would definitely not reimburse me for five years. I suspect they are not going to reimburse me at all. Absolutely appalling that they can get away with this and the consumer has no recourse!

I have been with RCN for 10 years. I USUALLY PAY MY BILL AT THE BETHLEHEM OFFICE. I called RCN to pay my bill by phone. I have a minor speech issue and the automated service did not understand me so I waited for a representative, They wanted to charge me $6 because the machine did not understand me. I am going to drive my bill out to the office again. I am 70 years old and it is a rainy miserable day. This is discrimination and it makes me sick. They do not have a system where you can press a number, you must use voice commands.

Unsure of all the bad reviews. I have had some minimal issues with RCN but they always made everything right. For one, MANY of the installers and technicians are CONTRACTORS. If the contracting company does NOT train properly, that is on the contractor. I never saw an RCN employee being a flat out idiot. Anyway: 2 Pros - Almost always consistent internet speeds (I still run just 25/4) and run over 30 devices including but not limited to, my connections to my NVR streaming my live video and Alarm system connection and also a smoke/CO2/temperature monitor etc. - Minimal downtime if ever. Customer service has always been very good aside from when trying to compile a package of services to get a better price. New customers get the deals, not existing.

I have only been a RCN customer for 2 and a half months. I initially ordered the internet service after being with Verizon for some 30 years. They didn't offer FIOS in my area, so I decided to switch. Big mistake. RCN has the worst customer service ever. 2 days after installing the internet service, I decided that it may have been cheaper to have their phone service as well. The second tech came out to install the phone service where he just connected everything to the existing equipment. My first bill for $123 I was told covered just the installation of the internet. My second bill of $97 I was told was for the installation of the phone.

I phoned RCN and ask how can I be charged for the phone installation when the tech only tapped into what was already there. They decided to give me a $30 dollar credit. When I received bill number 3, the $30 dollars was added as a past due amount and another charge for the activation of the phone jack. I furiously phone and spoke to 2 separate reps who basically said that this is the way it is and when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they were only going to say the same thing. I told them that I would be cancelling the service just as soon as I can hook up with another service. RCN does not value its customers and buyer beware, because they charge a la carte for everything.

I just moved from Boston to Denver and miss the service I had with RCN. On one account, they set up my internet so that I had two options. One had short range but was very fast. The other had longer range but was slower. That way, I could download things quickly but could switch if I wanted to the slower option if I wanted to use my computer on the porch. It was excellent! They were also great to talk to, seemed a lot more genuine and less scripted than Comcast, who I had called first but got turned off by their customer service. I am now trying to find an RCN equivalent in Denver but am having trouble.

So first of all, when they first came to install my cable and internet, they had to come three times because they kept getting the number of rooms wrong. On the second time, I even told the installer what had happened and while he was installing in the living room, I asked him where the other boxes were for the other rooms and he ACTUALLY STARTED YELLING AT ME. "Why didn't you tell me this when I got here?!" As if it was my fault. Needless to say, I was not going to stand for this and bewildered, tried to explain to him that it was not my responsibility to make sure they got the orders right and that one should never ever ever ever yell at a customer, especially for something like this.

Then this guy storms out of my apartment and as I still had my Time Warner boxes, disconnects everything so that I can't use any cable or internet service for several days. I should have learned my lesson I guess but it was a lot cheaper than TW so I allowed them to come back to install my cable and internet but I was out of cable and internet for two or three days.

I've had connection problems now twice and they sent technicians out who did absolutely nothing and then they had the nerve to charge me $50.00 each time for the visit. The first time this happened the customer service rep insisted I have someone come out even though my internet started working again and didn't see the need. When I got my bill, I noticed a $50 charge for the visit. Of course, I was furious. Why should I have to pay for someone to come out and fix a service I'm already paying for? So I called and they had the nerve to give me a hard time about it but I threatened to cancel and they finally took the charge off.

A few months later, my internet was running very slow. I did a speed test as they suggested and it was literally running at about 10% of what it should. I repeated this test several times to verify and used different websites which all reported the same speed. So I called and again they told me someone would have to come out but assured me I would not be charged but sure enough, I was charged another $50. So again I called and the customer service rep tried to tell me I was responsible for this charge and yada yada yada; at this point I wasn't listening.

I do remember he told me I should get a service protection plan and I thought "the nerve!" I had to tell him at that point that I wanted to cancel everything. Of course, he then put me on hold for a few minutes to speak to his manager. I'm sure he didn't do anything. He then said, "OK, we're going to take the charge off THIS TIME but you need to understand..." I just hung up on him. I can't put into words how unprofessional and sleazy this company is. No matter how bad you think your cable company is. I'd bet money they aren't as bad as RCN.

I was with RCN for about 4 or 5 years and had many bad experiences with cable and Internet connection issues. But the real reason for this review is after being with my new provider for some time a cable I believed belonged to my previous RCN service had come loose. I contacted RCN about three times in my busy schedule and was promised every call that within 24 to 48 hours a technician would come. This started about a month ago and still a cable dangles from my house. The last call the lady on the phone said they would have technicians call me back, THEY NEVER DID. My neighbor told me he saw a technician come by one day and told him it's a Service Electric cable who I never had. I also don't know why they would tell my neighbor this and not notify me. I guess I will try calling them now.

I have limped along with RCN for 14 years without anything awful happening - just getting barely adequate though expensive service, not bad enough to overcome inertia of switching. Switched last week to Verizon Fios. Installation was smooth and both phone lines worked well. Waited a few days to make sure Verizon was working consistently well. It was. So called RCN to cancel and was told by a series of agents and then three supervisors that they could not cancel my account because Verizon had NOT done correct request for "porting" one of my phone numbers, even though the phone number had been successfully working for the past week.

RCN kept insisting that issue was not if phone had been ported, but that Verizon had not submitted the correct paperwork to RCN for the phone line. RCN insisted that I had to get the "correct form" from Verizon in order for RCN to shut off my service. I kept trying RCN agents until I found a sane one who simply agreed to close my account and informed me how to return the RCN hardware/equipment. No mention of "correct form," etc. 3.5 hours!!! Perhaps I finally hit on an agent who had not yet taken the RCN Mendacity In-Service. Never get in their clutches if you can avoid it.

I've been a customer for more than 17 years with a static ip address that I pay 19.95 a month extra to have. For the past 10 or more years RCN either changes my static ip to dynamic or changes the static ip all together. When I moved 6 blocks within the same community recently I called to move my service and asked specifically if I could keep my ip and was told yes. When the installer came he stated that nothing would change and for a week I had the ip that I was paying for. Within 7 days my internet went off. I called and was told they put a ticket in to resolve the matter. 3 days later after many calls to tech support and customer service I finally had my original ip back. Then within 24 hours it went down again.

I called a supervisor and was lied to stating that I was given a new ip from the beginning but that was not true because Whats My IP confirmed that I was in fact pilling that ip from the beginning or else I would never have been able to see my dvr online. I called corporate offices in North New Jersey and was told that I would have an answer by close of the business day. It's almost 9 PM and no call. The FRC and FCC needs to address all the issue with this company. When you call their number you hear 30 seconds of info about their internet service but for the next 6 minutes all you hear is talk about entertainment packages and pay per view or on demand shows. It's clear to see where their interests lie.

I had three incredibly horrible experiences with RCN tech support reps. All three treated me like a moron. The first call was about my VCR not pausing anymore. The rep made me check all my connections, reset my modem, etc, even after I told him that this all clearly can't have anything to do with the problem, because I did get the cable service, the pause button just didn't work. So they finally send someone out. The guy also didn't listen to me, checked all the connections, changed the batteries on the remote without me even asking when I last changed them, only to admit after disconnecting and reconnecting all my equipment that there must be something wrong with the VCR's pause button.

Today the Internet service cut in and out. The tech support made me do a thousand things, which didn't help at all. I asked if there may have been other people reporting a service outage in the Chicago area, which they denied, although I checked on the internet where Chicago was listed as an affected area. Those reps are annoying, don't listen, and treat you like an idiot. Unbelievable!

RCN customer service and techs are terrible. I have been trying to use On Demand for over a year. I swapped out my own equipment-- had techs come, called multiple times and still no Demand. The message I get is "Since you were able to get the channels, which is what you pay for, we are not able to do any further compensation for On Demand service which is a free service." How is that an answer? "Sorry we lied about On Demand. You do not get that service but sign up with us," that's what they should say. What gall, sending me coupons for free movies on Demand. I just told them I cannot get On Demand. I am cancelling them and would not recommend RCN to anyone.

My service with RCN lasted only a few months due to many reasons: The internet connectivity had consistent issues with staying online. Technical support fails to understand their services and how to go about troubleshooting. Customer service fails to provide accurate information. Billing was inaccurate on every bill, including the charges that continued to roll in months AFTER I cancelled my service. I would suggest anyone that is looking into RCN for Internet - think twice as this is the worst provider in the MD/VA/DC area!

I should note that I'm not the one in the household paying for the service, but it wouldn't matter because the apartment we're living in has a contract with RCN, so we have no choice. Attached I have 2 results from speedtest.net. They speak for themselves. I upload gaming videos frequently to YouTube. Just to upload them to Facebook from my PS4, to then download them to my laptop to run through Movie Maker, can take hours for just an 8 minute clip. Then to download that same video from Facebook, which should be quicker, can also take up to 2 hours, when it should only take a minute. That is assuming the downloads/uploads don't fail altogether.

This is just one instance in which their utterly shoddy service has been... painful. Often our internet connection will go to "limited", which may as well say "not connected", because both give you the same amount of access. HORRIBLE company. If Fios were available here, the extra it'd cost would be well worth it. I'm convinced RCN's company is powered by potatoes, and run by them too.

Be careful when cancelling your service with RCN. They just took $645 out of my debit card today because they did not receive their equipment back fast enough. They come to your house and install everything, but when you cancel, you have to figure out how to disconnect everything and also go to them during business hours to return their equipment. They do not come to you, they do not send you any return shipping box, nor tags. It's basically your problem and they will not even give you the courtesy of a simple phone call to warn you that if you don't return it within a day or two, you will buy their converter boxes at an absurd price. They will not apologize, they will not believe that no one gave any instruction on what to do. This is irresponsible and abusive. Imagine nearly $700 vanishing from your bank account today. How would you feel? Be careful with these people.

These people are awful. Their service is shoddy at best and their business practice border on criminal. Every month my bill is due on the 28th and I pay it every month. Every single month within 3 days of the bill date I get a Late payment notice with a tacked on late fee even though they were paid on time and have to call and fight with them about this recurring late fee. I think they do this since most people will just pay the fee rather than have to call them every month and if you stop calling them and just don't pay the late fee they just keep adding it to the next bill. Then after 6 months they threaten to interrupt your service until you pay the late fees. Now if that isn't extortion I don't know what is.

Then when you finally have had enough and want to drop them they tell you you have to physically return all of their equipment to their place of business, I told them I'm elderly and disabled and couldn't return the stuff. That they would have to come pick it up (after all they brought it here). I was next threatened with having to pay $2200 for the cable boxes and TiVo or if they had to come get it I would be billed $46.00 for the service charge. Somebody should put these crooks in jail.

After I interrupted my RCN service to sign up with another company I was contacted within 24 hours twice, by mail and phone, trying to pursue me to remain with them. I answered with the following letter:

"I received your phone message too, but it is too late. I have signed up with .., a much much better deal. Everything I was getting with you and even more movie channels with $130/month, instead of $250/month! I am sorry, but I find RCN behavior really greedy and not so smart. After being a customer for 8 years, paying all my bills on time and after attempting several times to get a better deal in the last year, all I've got was a reduction to $190 for only 2 months!

And then all by the sudden and without any notice after two months I received a bill of $250! When I called to ask about the raise, the explanation I've got was: We are sorry, prices went up. But fortunately this is USA! There are more companies that are waiting for your business. They are called competitors. I will definitely call you back in two years at the end of my contract when they raise my fees, because most likely they will. I have learned pretty well, same exact story happened with my car insurance and Geico after being with them for 21 years!!! How greedy companies can be, and how short sighted! Don't they get it?"

RCN called me stating I was due a credit on 1/27/2016. They asked how I would like the reimbursement, in my checking or a physical check. I NEVER received anything. I've been calling daily. No one provides any information. The refund amount has changed multiple times. I was initially told it would be direct debited into my account, then I was told I'll receive two separate physical checks. Every time I ask to speak to someone in management, I'm was magically disconnected. This experience is so horrible. Btw, I'm still waiting on when my funds will be released. Today I called and was advised that I'll receive part of the payment via physical check and part returned on my credit card sometime this week. Horrifying!

We called to get RCN cable. We were told that it would be one price, however, it was much higher. The gentleman that came out to hook it up was very pleasant. But the people that you deal with over the phone are complete idiots. I wish that we would have searched before we decided on this service. They do not meet our requirements. We had cable for one week and were sent a bill, only to find out that we were also due to pay twice in that month. We were giving a lot of lies. Can't wait until we are cut off so we can send this equipment back. Comcast is much higher, but you get what you pay for... In this case you pay and don't get it. They charge for everything, but you are a valued customer. I guess so... They value cheating you out of your money.

I've always liked RCN in Boston for cheap products, but they have really deteriorated over the years. Customer service is friendly, but not effective. I cancelled my services, returned my equipment but I kept receiving a bill. I had to call several times before I was told that my cancellation was pending. What the hell? Wasn't I clear on the first call that I wanted my services cancelled?! If not, how about when I returned my equipment? Why do I have to waste my time following up on services that were supposed to have been cancelled? Come on, RCN!

RCN Company Profile