Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

RCN Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2020

I called RCN to speak to an agent and someone by the name of Mike was rude and unprofessional. His actions has cause me to want to stop business with them. I am a value customer for years. I deserve and demand respect.

RCN response

Hello, Nancy! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. It's our goal to provide the best customer service, and I'm disappointed to hear that we dropped the ball. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account details and more information regarding your original concern. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: May 19, 2020

I'll start by saying I am not working because of Covid 19 and RCN did the worst thing they could do. I suggest to stay far away from them. They will jack your bill up $28 out of nowhere and then some incompetent lady named Tammy (of course) "That's the cost of it to run" said this to me. When I questioned her on why she would say something like that off the cuff without having figure to back it up, she got huffy, which is a defense move because she knew she was wrong, and proceeded to ignore the rest of my call. When I finally asked to talk to a manager, it went radio silent and hung up. RCN sucks and let's assume they have at least 1,000,000 customers, which they do, and they jack up everybody's bill during a pandemic $28, these cucks just made an extra $28 million. CHECK YOUR BILL PEOPLE, CALL AND COMPLAIN. OVERLOAD THEIR CIRCUITS. REMEMBER, RCN WORKS FOR YOU!!!

RCN response

Hello, B. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. It's our goal to provide affordable pricing and the best customer care. I'm disappointed to hear that your experience differed from the norm. I'd be glad to review your account to make sure you're getting the best value for your needs. Please private message us your account details. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have been an RCN customer for 2 years now and the actual service is good. When I became a customer I was getting an introductory price of $39/mo for the first 12 months and as expected my rate went up after those 12 months to $54/mo. After my second year, the rate suddenly went up another $15 to $69/mo. Since I have paperless billing and pay online I did not see the notice in the statement in fine print at the bottom of the bill, since RCN doesn't actually email the full bill (only a notification a bill is due). I missed this increase for two months, and when I inquired with a representative they kept putting the blame on me and then proceeded to tell me that ALL of RCN's prices are promotional all the time and expire after 12 months.

When I looked at the bill explaining an increase, it refers to the old pricing as promotional, and the new pricing the simply describe as a rate and not a new promotional price. I was also sent 3 links to different places on the website that allegedly explained pricing. I was also never explained that the first increase was also a promotion, hence this total surprise.

When I asked for a listing of the full retail prices these promotions save me money on I was informed that full retail prices are not listed to the public on the website. So if all prices are promotional, yet full retail prices are not listed anywhere on the website, how does anyone truly understand what they are saving? This was also frustrating because the agent just kept telling me how wrong I was and that she could not do anything for me except for cancel my service, she couldn't even bother to validate why this is frustrating. Luckily for me I live in Chicago and can switch to Xfinity for half the price, which I do not want to do and would rather have has a reasonable offer to stay with RCN. And according to the reviews here this is a common issue, so I know I am not the only one who is being put through this.

RCN response

Hello, Daniel! Thank you for sharing your recent RCN experience. It's one of our goals to provide affordable packages. As you mentioned, promotional periods end over the course of time, which causes rates to increase. We'd like to review your account to make sure you're getting the best value possible. Please private message us your account details. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer. -Jackie

Original review: May 4, 2020

I have been an RCN customer for 2 years, and I understand when I became a customer I was getting an introductory price for the first 12 months for the 250mbps internet service, I accepted that, my rate went up after those 12 months, My total bill at the beginning was around $55.00, then after the first year it went up as expected, close to $75, and in the past months it has gone up for no reason or notice now my last bill is $101 which is extremely excessive for only 250mbps speed. This is completely unreasonable and excessive price, I would not recommend RCN to anyone.

I am going to look for better prices around my area, during this pandemic I can't afford to be without internet service, that is the only reason I am still a customer, I don't understand how a company is capable to offer "introductory" prices to bring new customers, and loyal customers don't get anything, I really wish there was a customer loyalty program to benefit the customers that stay, now I understand loyal customers pay for those new customers ""introductory"" prices. It is a shame that FCC does not regulate prices for this utility, like water & electricity is regulated. Internet service should be considered a necessity nowadays, and not a luxury. It's unbelievable RCN does not take care of it loyal customers, if I could give this review no stars at all I would.

RCN response

Hello, Jean! Thank you for taking the time to share your RCN experience. It's our goal to provide affordable packages. We'd like to review your account to make sure you're getting the best value possible. Please private message us your account details so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: May 1, 2020

I'm not here to talk about the quality of internet service cuz due to the price they should provide as we expected. As a lot said, the bill goes up time by time without informing the customers and it's off the chart! If I can live with these all, there's one thing that really frustrates me. I cancel the service last month due to moving and I made a call to their customer service. The lady told me the last bill of $73 will be refunded to me in full. Yet I waited about a month it's not refunded at all.

I made a dispute to Chase Bank who refund it for me. Then I received a letter telling me I did not pay the balance owed and threaten me to incur related cost to collect this debt and report to Credit Bureaus. I chatted online with their customer service again and being told I received the wrong message when I cancel the service. Then I received a bill of the last month which is $86.36. This company is not consistent with their own customer service. As a well educated citizen, I barely complain about similar stuff but I think potential customers should be aware of their high bill as well as the inconsistent customer service.

RCN response

Hi, Tianlong! Thank you for taking the time to review your recent RCN experience. We'd like to review your account and help make sure your concerns are resolved. Please private message us your account details. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Original review: April 22, 2020

I have been a customer with RCN for over 6 years. The level of technical service and customer service has been reasonably adequate. It is their continual increases over the past two years that has been outrageous. Sin years ago the rate for internet service was approx 35. I knew it was a special offering and accepted it as such. When it went up to approx 49 once again I accepted it. It is the last 18 months that has been what I feel is price gouging.

I suspended service when I went away last winter for approx 45 days upon returning my first bill went up approx $15 per month. Explanation when I suspended service it negated the special offer I had and they would not do anything about it. Now with another increase after that and the most recent increase this month we are now up to $90 per month. This most recent increase took my monthly bill from $72 per month to $90. Shouldn't this industry be regulated just like any public utility. Aren't price increases of this magnitude against FCC guidelines.

I know most people are have a difficult time during this pandemic. What kind of company does this when everyone is struggling so badly. I believe it is an offense to everyone and is not just bad business practices but borders on immoral behavior or at the very least a total lack of caring and compassion for their customer base. I would suggest that anyone considering using them to consider what you are seeing here in the reviews. Check out other social media reviews and comments.....none seem to put a positive view of this company. Quite simply we need other choices and be able to vote with our pocketbook and freedom of choice. I am sure given more choices their customer base would begin to abandon them. Our government should take notice of these reviews and practices.

RCN response

Hello, Kenneth! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent RCN experience. I understand your concern regarding your current rate. Let's review your account together so we can ensure that you're receiving the best value we can offer. Please private message us your account details. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: April 17, 2020

My RCN bill for cable & internet increases in price almost every month. I've tried several times to call to speak to customer service and cannot get through to anyone. I have one of the most basic packages and it has increased from a little over $100/month at the beginning (2 1/2 years ago) to over $200 now. Beware of this company and the advertised prices at the beginning of the service. Very dissatisfied with this company.

RCN response

Hello, Kelly! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with RCN. I apologize for the delay in response. Calls and messages are answered in the order they are received. Due to the global health crisis, we are much, much busier than usual and are responding as quickly as possible.

Let's review your account together so we can ensure that you're receiving the best value we can offer. Please private message us your account details. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: April 14, 2020

Our bill keeps going up, I am sick of it! In January of this year it was $163 and now, 3 months later, it is $180. I have the signature cable and internet package $121 and $56+ in taxes and surcharges!

RCN response

Hello, Joann. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with RCN. I understand your concern. Let's review your account together so we can ensure that you're receiving the best value we can offer. Please private message us your account details. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: March 31, 2020

The quality of the internet connection is decent. But as soon as you take your eyes off the bill, there is a price hike. For the last 3 months, they increased the price EVERY MONTH. Several fees went up and new fees appeared out of the blue. If you have a choice, choose somebody else.

RCN response

Hi, Alexander! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent RCN experience. We'd like to review your account to make sure you're getting the best value possible. Please private message us your account details so we can review your account together. Thank you for being a valued member of the RCN service family! -Jackie

Original review: March 22, 2020

I have had nothing but trouble getting in touch with customer service about my bill going up by $10.00 a month with no notice. Time to dump the lousy outfit. This is clearly NOT a customer oriented business.

RCN response

Hi, John! Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with RCN. We strive to provide affordable service and the very best customer care. As a consumer myself, understand your frustration you've experienced. I'd be glad to review your account and determine the best way to resolve these concerns. Please private message us your account information so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

RCN Company Information