RCN

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have only been a RCN customer for 2 and a half months. I initially ordered the internet service after being with Verizon for some 30 years. They didn't offer FIOS in my area, so I decided to switch. Big mistake. RCN has the worst customer service ever. 2 days after installing the internet service, I decided that it may have been cheaper to have their phone service as well. The second tech came out to install the phone service where he just connected everything to the existing equipment. My first bill for $123 I was told covered just the installation of the internet. My second bill of $97 I was told was for the installation of the phone.

I phoned RCN and ask how can I be charged for the phone installation when the tech only tapped into what was already there. They decided to give me a $30 dollar credit. When I received bill number 3, the $30 dollars was added as a past due amount and another charge for the activation of the phone jack. I furiously phone and spoke to 2 separate reps who basically said that this is the way it is and when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they were only going to say the same thing. I told them that I would be cancelling the service just as soon as I can hook up with another service. RCN does not value its customers and buyer beware, because they charge a la carte for everything.

I just moved from Boston to Denver and miss the service I had with RCN. On one account, they set up my internet so that I had two options. One had short range but was very fast. The other had longer range but was slower. That way, I could download things quickly but could switch if I wanted to the slower option if I wanted to use my computer on the porch. It was excellent! They were also great to talk to, seemed a lot more genuine and less scripted than Comcast, who I had called first but got turned off by their customer service. I am now trying to find an RCN equivalent in Denver but am having trouble.

So first of all, when they first came to install my cable and internet, they had to come three times because they kept getting the number of rooms wrong. On the second time, I even told the installer what had happened and while he was installing in the living room, I asked him where the other boxes were for the other rooms and he ACTUALLY STARTED YELLING AT ME. "Why didn't you tell me this when I got here?!" As if it was my fault. Needless to say, I was not going to stand for this and bewildered, tried to explain to him that it was not my responsibility to make sure they got the orders right and that one should never ever ever ever yell at a customer, especially for something like this.

Then this guy storms out of my apartment and as I still had my Time Warner boxes, disconnects everything so that I can't use any cable or internet service for several days. I should have learned my lesson I guess but it was a lot cheaper than TW so I allowed them to come back to install my cable and internet but I was out of cable and internet for two or three days.

I've had connection problems now twice and they sent technicians out who did absolutely nothing and then they had the nerve to charge me $50.00 each time for the visit. The first time this happened the customer service rep insisted I have someone come out even though my internet started working again and didn't see the need. When I got my bill, I noticed a $50 charge for the visit. Of course, I was furious. Why should I have to pay for someone to come out and fix a service I'm already paying for? So I called and they had the nerve to give me a hard time about it but I threatened to cancel and they finally took the charge off.

A few months later, my internet was running very slow. I did a speed test as they suggested and it was literally running at about 10% of what it should. I repeated this test several times to verify and used different websites which all reported the same speed. So I called and again they told me someone would have to come out but assured me I would not be charged but sure enough, I was charged another $50. So again I called and the customer service rep tried to tell me I was responsible for this charge and yada yada yada; at this point I wasn't listening.

I do remember he told me I should get a service protection plan and I thought "the nerve!" I had to tell him at that point that I wanted to cancel everything. Of course, he then put me on hold for a few minutes to speak to his manager. I'm sure he didn't do anything. He then said, "OK, we're going to take the charge off THIS TIME but you need to understand..." I just hung up on him. I can't put into words how unprofessional and sleazy this company is. No matter how bad you think your cable company is. I'd bet money they aren't as bad as RCN.

I was with RCN for about 4 or 5 years and had many bad experiences with cable and Internet connection issues. But the real reason for this review is after being with my new provider for some time a cable I believed belonged to my previous RCN service had come loose. I contacted RCN about three times in my busy schedule and was promised every call that within 24 to 48 hours a technician would come. This started about a month ago and still a cable dangles from my house. The last call the lady on the phone said they would have technicians call me back, THEY NEVER DID. My neighbor told me he saw a technician come by one day and told him it's a Service Electric cable who I never had. I also don't know why they would tell my neighbor this and not notify me. I guess I will try calling them now.

I have limped along with RCN for 14 years without anything awful happening - just getting barely adequate though expensive service, not bad enough to overcome inertia of switching. Switched last week to Verizon Fios. Installation was smooth and both phone lines worked well. Waited a few days to make sure Verizon was working consistently well. It was. So called RCN to cancel and was told by a series of agents and then three supervisors that they could not cancel my account because Verizon had NOT done correct request for "porting" one of my phone numbers, even though the phone number had been successfully working for the past week.

RCN kept insisting that issue was not if phone had been ported, but that Verizon had not submitted the correct paperwork to RCN for the phone line. RCN insisted that I had to get the "correct form" from Verizon in order for RCN to shut off my service. I kept trying RCN agents until I found a sane one who simply agreed to close my account and informed me how to return the RCN hardware/equipment. No mention of "correct form," etc. 3.5 hours!!! Perhaps I finally hit on an agent who had not yet taken the RCN Mendacity In-Service. Never get in their clutches if you can avoid it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

I've been a customer for more than 17 years with a static ip address that I pay 19.95 a month extra to have. For the past 10 or more years RCN either changes my static ip to dynamic or changes the static ip all together. When I moved 6 blocks within the same community recently I called to move my service and asked specifically if I could keep my ip and was told yes. When the installer came he stated that nothing would change and for a week I had the ip that I was paying for. Within 7 days my internet went off. I called and was told they put a ticket in to resolve the matter. 3 days later after many calls to tech support and customer service I finally had my original ip back. Then within 24 hours it went down again.

I called a supervisor and was lied to stating that I was given a new ip from the beginning but that was not true because Whats My IP confirmed that I was in fact pilling that ip from the beginning or else I would never have been able to see my dvr online. I called corporate offices in North New Jersey and was told that I would have an answer by close of the business day. It's almost 9 PM and no call. The FRC and FCC needs to address all the issue with this company. When you call their number you hear 30 seconds of info about their internet service but for the next 6 minutes all you hear is talk about entertainment packages and pay per view or on demand shows. It's clear to see where their interests lie.

I had three incredibly horrible experiences with RCN tech support reps. All three treated me like a moron. The first call was about my VCR not pausing anymore. The rep made me check all my connections, reset my modem, etc, even after I told him that this all clearly can't have anything to do with the problem, because I did get the cable service, the pause button just didn't work. So they finally send someone out. The guy also didn't listen to me, checked all the connections, changed the batteries on the remote without me even asking when I last changed them, only to admit after disconnecting and reconnecting all my equipment that there must be something wrong with the VCR's pause button.

Today the Internet service cut in and out. The tech support made me do a thousand things, which didn't help at all. I asked if there may have been other people reporting a service outage in the Chicago area, which they denied, although I checked on the internet where Chicago was listed as an affected area. Those reps are annoying, don't listen, and treat you like an idiot. Unbelievable!

RCN customer service and techs are terrible. I have been trying to use On Demand for over a year. I swapped out my own equipment-- had techs come, called multiple times and still no Demand. The message I get is "Since you were able to get the channels, which is what you pay for, we are not able to do any further compensation for On Demand service which is a free service." How is that an answer? "Sorry we lied about On Demand. You do not get that service but sign up with us," that's what they should say. What gall, sending me coupons for free movies on Demand. I just told them I cannot get On Demand. I am cancelling them and would not recommend RCN to anyone.

My service with RCN lasted only a few months due to many reasons: The internet connectivity had consistent issues with staying online. Technical support fails to understand their services and how to go about troubleshooting. Customer service fails to provide accurate information. Billing was inaccurate on every bill, including the charges that continued to roll in months AFTER I cancelled my service. I would suggest anyone that is looking into RCN for Internet - think twice as this is the worst provider in the MD/VA/DC area!

I should note that I'm not the one in the household paying for the service, but it wouldn't matter because the apartment we're living in has a contract with RCN, so we have no choice. Attached I have 2 results from speedtest.net. They speak for themselves. I upload gaming videos frequently to YouTube. Just to upload them to Facebook from my PS4, to then download them to my laptop to run through Movie Maker, can take hours for just an 8 minute clip. Then to download that same video from Facebook, which should be quicker, can also take up to 2 hours, when it should only take a minute. That is assuming the downloads/uploads don't fail altogether.

This is just one instance in which their utterly shoddy service has been... painful. Often our internet connection will go to "limited", which may as well say "not connected", because both give you the same amount of access. HORRIBLE company. If Fios were available here, the extra it'd cost would be well worth it. I'm convinced RCN's company is powered by potatoes, and run by them too.

Be careful when cancelling your service with RCN. They just took $645 out of my debit card today because they did not receive their equipment back fast enough. They come to your house and install everything, but when you cancel, you have to figure out how to disconnect everything and also go to them during business hours to return their equipment. They do not come to you, they do not send you any return shipping box, nor tags. It's basically your problem and they will not even give you the courtesy of a simple phone call to warn you that if you don't return it within a day or two, you will buy their converter boxes at an absurd price. They will not apologize, they will not believe that no one gave any instruction on what to do. This is irresponsible and abusive. Imagine nearly $700 vanishing from your bank account today. How would you feel? Be careful with these people.

These people are awful. Their service is shoddy at best and their business practice border on criminal. Every month my bill is due on the 28th and I pay it every month. Every single month within 3 days of the bill date I get a Late payment notice with a tacked on late fee even though they were paid on time and have to call and fight with them about this recurring late fee. I think they do this since most people will just pay the fee rather than have to call them every month and if you stop calling them and just don't pay the late fee they just keep adding it to the next bill. Then after 6 months they threaten to interrupt your service until you pay the late fees. Now if that isn't extortion I don't know what is.

Then when you finally have had enough and want to drop them they tell you you have to physically return all of their equipment to their place of business, I told them I'm elderly and disabled and couldn't return the stuff. That they would have to come pick it up (after all they brought it here). I was next threatened with having to pay $2200 for the cable boxes and TiVo or if they had to come get it I would be billed $46.00 for the service charge. Somebody should put these crooks in jail.

After I interrupted my RCN service to sign up with another company I was contacted within 24 hours twice, by mail and phone, trying to pursue me to remain with them. I answered with the following letter:

"I received your phone message too, but it is too late. I have signed up with .., a much much better deal. Everything I was getting with you and even more movie channels with $130/month, instead of $250/month! I am sorry, but I find RCN behavior really greedy and not so smart. After being a customer for 8 years, paying all my bills on time and after attempting several times to get a better deal in the last year, all I've got was a reduction to $190 for only 2 months!

And then all by the sudden and without any notice after two months I received a bill of $250! When I called to ask about the raise, the explanation I've got was: We are sorry, prices went up. But fortunately this is USA! There are more companies that are waiting for your business. They are called competitors. I will definitely call you back in two years at the end of my contract when they raise my fees, because most likely they will. I have learned pretty well, same exact story happened with my car insurance and Geico after being with them for 21 years!!! How greedy companies can be, and how short sighted! Don't they get it?"

RCN called me stating I was due a credit on 1/27/2016. They asked how I would like the reimbursement, in my checking or a physical check. I NEVER received anything. I've been calling daily. No one provides any information. The refund amount has changed multiple times. I was initially told it would be direct debited into my account, then I was told I'll receive two separate physical checks. Every time I ask to speak to someone in management, I'm was magically disconnected. This experience is so horrible. Btw, I'm still waiting on when my funds will be released. Today I called and was advised that I'll receive part of the payment via physical check and part returned on my credit card sometime this week. Horrifying!

We called to get RCN cable. We were told that it would be one price, however, it was much higher. The gentleman that came out to hook it up was very pleasant. But the people that you deal with over the phone are complete idiots. I wish that we would have searched before we decided on this service. They do not meet our requirements. We had cable for one week and were sent a bill, only to find out that we were also due to pay twice in that month. We were giving a lot of lies. Can't wait until we are cut off so we can send this equipment back. Comcast is much higher, but you get what you pay for... In this case you pay and don't get it. They charge for everything, but you are a valued customer. I guess so... They value cheating you out of your money.

I've always liked RCN in Boston for cheap products, but they have really deteriorated over the years. Customer service is friendly, but not effective. I cancelled my services, returned my equipment but I kept receiving a bill. I had to call several times before I was told that my cancellation was pending. What the hell? Wasn't I clear on the first call that I wanted my services cancelled?! If not, how about when I returned my equipment? Why do I have to waste my time following up on services that were supposed to have been cancelled? Come on, RCN!

RCN has let me down immensely. They lower the throttle so that you can't use the service you mutually agreed upon and pay them. My service is 25 Mbps. I completely understand that I most likely will never get that full 25, but I was guaranteed by RCN (before agreeing on their contract) a minimum of 15 Mbps. Sure enough, they suck and love to lie. Fun part is that when you call because you're not even getting a full 1 Mbps for days on end, they point the finger at your router and say there's nothing they can do. **. Oh, oh, totally forgot to add. I went on the chat (saves me an hour of my phone's minutes burning up) and RCN kept refusing to connect me into any chats (for days). Upon throwing in the magical phrase of "CANCEL SERVICE," they immediately connected me with someone. ** RCN.

They called me 3x and assured me my 150 was deposited back to my bank. Turns out, they lied. They finally said it's still in process. This has been going on since Nov. 28th. I am still waiting.

I had RCN install for 105 dollars and 2 days later nothing was working. I called to let them know they sent a tech out who then came and had no idea what he was doing or how to fix the problem. The last tech did with that he ask me to move something. It fell on my tv and it broke. I called the company. They said they would give me a callback. They have great customer service. 4 days go by and nothing. I call them back to find out what they could do. They told me they're not responsible. That's one. Two, apparently, the 105 installation charge is also not their problem even though they have had two tech come out to install and neither have gotten it right.

Their solution is to basically send out another tech and hope they know what they're doing because apparently they don't have professionals. I have had this company for a week and have had nothing but problems. I would never recommend them to anyone EVER!!! Stay with the usual companies that have some idea of what they're doing like Verizon or Time Warner. The RCN claims to be less expensive by maybe 20 dollars. It's not worth it.

I tried three times to connect with "customer service" today alone. Seriously, I kept receiving a message that chat was only available until 8PM EDT. I was trying to chat at 4:30 PM. THREE TIMES!! Seriously! Wanted to order yet another remote control - those things seem to fail on a regular bases. Satellite reception on HGTV and FOOD NETWORK regularly FAILS!!

I was a two year customer until this year when my service billing increased without notice then service outages and service reps making up answers as they go. As you all know RCN bills a month in advance. You have to give it to them and their fuzzy math but when I went to a different carrier in August 2015 I cancelled my service with RCN. Soon thereafter a service tech from or posing as one RCN logo on van RCN paperwork in hand collected all of my equipment and stated "It will be input into the system. Have a nice day." No worries I didn't think much of it. Then a week later I get a robocall stating upon disconnection of services all equipment must be returned. I chalked it up to right hand not knowing what the left was doing. Well two more weeks passed and I receive a collection letter for 900.00 plus bucks. I call RCN and explain my equipment was turned in and I was a bit concerned. I was told it may have not been put in the system as of yet.

I then received a call later that day asking about the service tech. I was told I would receive a callback. I waited almost two weeks and called back. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a service rep explaining what happened and I wasn't responsible for their lost stolen or misplaced equipment. I was told "I understand but I can't take this off your billing" then the tone of the rep and later the so-called manager was very rude and Condescending. I requested a written letter outlining the highlights of the conversation and to have a callback to further clear up this issue. If you are thinking of getting RCN think long and hard. Their customer service is dicey at best and their math when it comes to billing is very fuzzy.

I needed to make a simple change with this service. We were moving so I needed to do a discontinuation of service and then add new service at our new home. Our service was cancelled 7 days prior to our move. When I called back it took 45 minutes to correct their mistake. Then our internet went out and I was on hold for 26 minutes only to be disconnected by one of their employees. Forget doing business with this service. Perhaps we will go to At&t.

I am okay with RCN service, but the customer service is really bad. Just called RCN to cancel the service because the price is high. They were nice to me in the beginning when they try to find a better deal for me, but after I told them I still want to cancel the service, her attitude was changed, and become very impatient about my questions and speak with unpleasant tone. I know I am not RCN customer, but I was for the past few years. Was thinking going back to RCN if there is a better deal, but for that kind of customer service, no one will like to do business with you even if there is a better deal.

In 2012 there was a dispute about how many cable boxes we were utilizing. Although we only live in a one bedroom apartment their records indicated we had 4 boxes. We were charged 9 dollars a month for each box. That's 36 months at nearly 20 dollars a month. Even though I disputed it 3 years ago they continued to charge me, never even making a notation about my complaints. They could tell that no signal was sent to either of the disputed boxes for more than 3 years. If I had broken down and replaced the boxes it would have been 160 dollars. Instead I've incurred over 800 dollars in charges for the 2 mysterious boxes that I guarantee we don't have.

I know I should've looked at and deciphered their confusing 8 page bills more closely. Once you're paying over 220 a month for cable and internet it's easy to miss 18 dollar extra charge. Never once did they suggest I replace the box. Never once did they make a notation about the dispute on my account. They are a rip-off company to the extreme. Although negligence on my behalf for not looking at the bills more closely is why I've incurred as much, it should've never gotten to this point. Thanks for ripping off a decade long customer.

I request RCN to install cable phone and internet. They show up on the day of appointment. After 2 hours we were informed that they need to get few parts and they be back later afternoon that day. Never show up or call. My husband call late that evening and got told that they have to came back but they will call before next visit which will be Friday that week. Again never show up or called, they just kept ignoring us. I don't know what the problem is but I'm totally sick of that kind of service. RCN, YOU SUCK!!! And I will tell everyone I know about your lousy service.

I was quoted $133 for telephone internet and cable bundle. After the first month it went from $133 to $166 - cancel my cable immediately. When I got my bill I called and canceled my cable portion of the bill which was supposed to be taken care of and noticed 30 days later that they still were building the automatic withdrawal from my account for the $166. Called to clarify and told the best they could do is give me $40 back. This company is not worth your time or effort and would not recommend them.

I have been a CSR for this company for a few months now and formerly working for similar companies. To be blunt these are the absolute rudest most ignorant customers I have ever had to speak to ever! They are verbally abusive toward all of us representatives because their promotion ended and their price increases. When they upgrade and have prorated charges they try to dispute why they should have to pay them and more than half of my accounts are pending disconnect because of large past due balances. I am barely getting by myself but still manage to pay all of my bills and never call any of my service providers complaining about the price I'm paying. I never call them period. When my bill comes in the mail it gets paid. Every time someone is risking disconnection they want to argue all of the charges. Pay your bill in full and on time and it won't be an astronomical amount. Thanks and have a great day.

RCN internet is the worse in the world. For the past week it's been going in and out, so today it seems to be working perfectly. I called them and they said it was no problem and that they would send someone out to check it. But the problem is I think it's RCN doing that so they can get extra money out of me but I am not going to fall for it.

Called to seek clarification on billing and was subjected to the most horrifying experience. Customer representatives were so uncouth and appeared clueless about addressing my complaint.

We've had RCN's basic cable-internet & one phone line service for over a year, and have found the attitude of reps in their billing department to be, generally -- on the few occasions we've needed them -- snotty, disinterested, and/or pig-headed. After a few months of the same amount billed, $65.67, I set my bill-pay to pay the same amount each month on or before the due-date. In December 2014 a bank error led to late arrival of the monthly payment, which I reversed promptly, but evidently too late: RCN assessed a late fee of $5. It had escaped my attention, since I use bill-pay to pay the same amount each month on time, and rarely have time to check bills. Since then, all my payments have been timely, and -- I had assumed -- in the full amount.

Until a letter arrived in the mail three days ago, announcing service to be suspended until I pay the over-due amount of $30 and change. Calling for an explanation was almost futile. The first two attempts (plus two transfers) connected me only the collector, whose agents could not tell me why the $35 past-due amount, despite the monthly payments arriving on time.

The third attempt connected with RCN's billing. ** took his time -- 5 mins. 11 secs (yes, I timed it) -- finding my records, despite receiving from me full name, customer ID number, postal address, telephone number... He then proceeded to mumble aloud my billing record one month at a time, backward from the last bill, saying that each month such-and-such amount was assessed as past-due or in late-fee. The clock still ticking, and the feeling of getting nowhere - slowly, growing, I asked him to look for the first instance of the past-due amount. Grumbling noticeably, he fessed up: it started in December, with a $5 late fee.

I asked why the 25 additional dollars, since then. His response: "You didn't pay the late fee on time." I said it was unfair to charge late fees for a late fee. He challenged me to explain why. "Because a past-due late-fee is not a charge for service, but a penalty. I'll pay the late fee of $5, but ask RCN to waive the additional fees."

What he then said gave me a fit of flabbergastritis like I haven't had in a long time. "What? Don't you read your bills each month?" To which I regret now having retorted: "No, but neither can you read a computer screen or understand simple fairness." It was over. I had let his insult of me become an insult to him. And he would not budge. He was not going to lose face now. I was going to have to pay the full $30 or lose service. But since I was not getting much of the latter, I'm wondering what I really have now to lose.

RCN Company Profile