2.38/5

176 RCN Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have had little if any issues in the last 5 years with RCN. I have called for tech support and told a 20 plus minute wait; yet I was never on hold longer than 10 minutes. Techs were knowledgeable, patient and totally understanding. Problem was always solved without having to schedule a service call. Impressive! Minor opportunities are that I wish TiVo had Amazon but alas it doesn’t so I bought the Fire stick. I have the signature pkg which offers like 70 channels. Most of which I don’t watch but there are a select few that are my favs and these are not available on basic cable. So unfortunately I pay a lot. How sweet if I could pick 3 channels to add to “my basic” - you know customize just for me! In the meantime I will stick with cable RCN.

RCN response

Hello, Bill! Thank you for sharing your RCN experience, and for being a part of the RCN family! -Jackie

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Sick of the bills going up every month. Hate paying about a third of the cost on taxes and "special fees". And I don't need all the channels that I am forced to pay. Still, RCN is the best of what is offered in NYC and their service is quick, on time and useful.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If I could access Amazon Prime on my RCN Tivo, I would be totally happy with RCN. RCN provides reliable internet & cable service, is responsive when I have a technical issue & provides solutions. I have been a customer at 2 different Chicago condos for 18+ years.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was shocked when I saw my elderly mother's cable bill. RCN was charging $202.72 per month for the most basic of services. RCN is taking advantage of the elderly who don't know they need to continually renegotiate. She was being punished for her 8 years of loyalty. RCN should be ashamed of their greed.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Where do I begin? RCN is the worst... Customer service is subpar, at times ** and unprofessional! Information is always inaccurate. In short they have doubled my monthly bill and when I caught it I was told that I missed a payment. They refuse to send me a proper and complete ledger and I cannot speak to a live person in accounting. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY ARE A HEADACHE! Not worth it at all

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCN?

Original review: April 1, 2019

I've been with RCN for over 3 years now. I have their basic cable package along with 150 Mbps internet. During my introductory rate, it came out to about $125 per month. Once my introductory rate was up, it went up to ~$150 per month. I didn't find this egregious, and stayed with the service. Now, over the last 6 months, my bills have jumped to $179 per month, then to $196 per month... and this past statement came and they raised my rate nearly another 70 DOLLARS to $264 per month. With zero notice ahead of any of these increases. I waited until my current bill was about 6 days past due debating if I'd pay them at all. Well, in the end I did, only to check the mail this morning and receive their promotional material for new customers for an upgraded package over what I have, for $59.99 per month (mine is now $149.99 just for the cable, before fees).

To say the least, this has left me furious with them. They'll be getting a cable cancellation call from me after work today, as we may keep them for internet service at the moment, but even that I'm debating on switching. No excuse for such drastic increases with zero advanced notice. It is immeasurably dishonest, and without merit. Continuing to conduct their business this way will continue to result in folks cutting the chord from cable providers like RCN. Their lack of ability to negotiate better contacts with the cable networks is their own problem, and not one they should believe they can just saddle their customers with paying the difference.

Original review: March 27, 2019

After I canceled RCN service. Two weeks later found I was overcharged, and called customer service. The representative Annette was rude, unhelpful and refused to transfer me to her supervisor. She told me her supervisor would call me back, which they never did. RCN doesn't treat loyal customers fairly. They offer promotional discounts for new customers, and raise existing customer's charges.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am located on Gaithersburg MD. I use to have Comcast (150 Mbps). After Comcast contract is finish (usually 1 year) they raised the bill significantly so I decide to try 1 GB internet from RCN provider. When guys come to set up it was 950-960 Mbps for first day which isn't bad so he left. After a week speed was so slow when trying to stream or even using web browser. It significantly slow than Comcast 150 Mbps (only 1 device is added within this time period; echo dot) so I reset the modem and router and speed boost up to 300 before it was 75-76 Mbps.

Went ok. Not bad. Now after 1 month again speed is constantly under 100 Mbps and which is so annoying. I have already done normal troubleshooting changing wifi pw and disconnecting all devices and reconnecting everything. Still same speed. This is so annoying and horrible provider. I will definitely say Comcast 150 Mbps speed was way more better and constant speed than this 1 GB. I will suggest if you can have Comcast 300 Mbps around same price as RCN 1 GB go for Comcast. Comcast 300 speed will do better job than RCN for sure. I am just waiting for contract to finish and never ever ever gonna use RCN service ever. I know they are cheaper for GB internet than anyone else but speed is 100 Mbps. Stay away from RCN.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've had the 1G internet service for 2 years. In the beginning, it worked pretty good, and they were the first to offer it at ~$100 a month in the Chicago area. But, the service during the last 6 months has been terrible. My household (consisting only of my girlfriend and I) stream DirecTVNow/Netflix/HBOGo/etc regularly because we chose not to have cable. I also work from home. These reasons led us to get the 1G internet service, because 1G is WAY more than we should need. I continually ran speed tests throughout my service with RCN, and in the first year, I was obtaining WiFi speeds between 400mbps and 600mbps, which is not bad and more than we needed (the agreement states that the 1G speed is only attainable through ethernet and WiFi will be lower, which is understandable).

The last 6 months have been another story. Not only are we regularly achieving less than 5mbps, but the internet goes completely out on a daily basis every few hours. When I have to connect to my mobile phone Verizon hotspot 5 times a day and it runs 10x faster than my 1G RCN internet, there is a problem. I thought it could be an issue with my apt building, but we have had techs come out 3 times to correct the issue, and when they do it seems like they fixed the issue while they are here, but an hour later we realize they haven't.

I'm not sure what changed within the 2 years, but before RCN fixes it, my suggestion is to stay away. I used to think that Comcast was the worst around, but yesterday I could not bear the internet issues any longer, signed up for Xfinity, and I was using their hotspots within the hour, which provide more mbps than our 1G RCN does (I have numerous photos to prove it). That's not a free ad for Comcast, just a statement that they may be the lesser of two evils at the moment in this age-old competition between the two of who can be a worse service provider.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My service been down since 8 this morning and it is 11pm at night and still no service every time I call they tell me the same thing and it is pissing me off. Because I am a youtuber and I have not worked all day long. And I want to know what is the problem.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I've been an RCN customer in the Boston area (phone & Internet) for 19 years and I'm ready to call it quits. At least since Feb 14, 2019 when I started documenting it as a way to get RCN to act, RCN has been dropping my internet phone line for seven minutes every hour on the hour. I have confronted them many times and after they swapped out my phone modem (needlessly) I was able to convince them the trouble was at their central switch.

I escalated up to a tech supervisor who finally admitted they were working on the switch and the problem would continue for a while, but that it was a “short inconvenience”. I received no warning, no request for permission, no support offer in case I needed to call the police or an ambulance. This is NUTS! If I’m on a call I either have to end it before the clock strikes the hour or my line is cut and I cannot get phone service back for another seven minutes. I've attempted contacting the CEO by email since the main RCN phone line is always busy - probably with complaint callers - and am hoping for some relief.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I signed up for service on a special rate when I moved to this area. Every month they add charges. I have to call them every month to see what I am being charged for. The service for cable is good but the internet is very slow. I am very disappointed with their billing. I once had to wait on hold almost 1 hour and the phone tech had to get the manager and the 2 of them could not figure it out.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was customer of RCN for 18 months. They raised my monthly subscription that forced me to cancel the service. I returned the equipment, and was informed that I need to bring the streaming box too or will be charge 99$. I never received the box from the installer. Never used the streaming. I was forced to file the complaint with State attorney. Then RCN agreed to charge only 50% for the missing equipment. Stay away from RCN!!!

Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Used to get fairly decent (though not spectacular) internet service. At least used to get to tech help in fairly quick order. However, for the last 3 or 4 months keep experiencing wild swings in speed, frequent drops and loss of service. Have tried twice to call them and am told wait time is 20 minutes (am waiting 10+ as I write this). I would not call this customer service. I think I am ready to drop RCN.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I've been a customer for 5 years. No problems until the last few months. I have been having problems with my internet not working. I call customer service only to be left on hold for over 20 minutes. I finally get someone on the phone and they schedule a technician for 4 days out. My son is in cyber school and was having unexcused absences due to this. They could have cared less.

So 2 days later I call back because now my cable isn't working either. I hold for another 20 minutes on a Friday night at 11 pm. I have to hold for 20 minutes. Guy was helpful and sent someone out the next day. 2 more days go by and there goes my internet again. I call AGAIN and wait on hold for... You guessed it 20 minutes! So now I have to wait another 2 days for another technician. Installs a new modem but the internet isn't working because the problem is at their main connection not at my connection. Tech says someone might be here today to fix it but I'm not sure. So I get home from work and its still not fixed.

So now here I sit on hold again for going on 43 minutes. Ridiculous!!! I also asked for a credit for all this nonsense and they only will credit me the days the internet was not working. How about you credit me for all the time I'm spending on hold too!! I pay over 200$ a month for what?? This company is going downhill fast! Oh and I got a call from their marketing team to go over my review of my first appointment. I call her back and guess what?? Waited on hold for 20 minutes then hung up!!! Complete nonsense!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

This Internet Service is starting to be very horrible and dumb that I'm still paying $50 for just 150 mbps and it's also ridiculous as well and I don't even remember how much it went up and the only thing that I remember about it was that I supposed to pay it less but not $50 and it has been 6-8 years that it went up. And In 2011-2013 I was paying less for it and also I have experienced with some slowdowns and lag spikes too when I use my wifi while watching thing like YouTube, Netflix, playing games from my Console/PC and when browsing Chrome as well and while my whole family is also using it too. And please guys if you a current customer of RCN and if the fricking Company is charging you for $50 or more just for little mbps, I'll highly recommend you to move to a different provider for more mbps because that's what I'm gotta do if they don't fix this stupid issue right away or just complain about it to RCN instead like me then!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been a customer of RCN for over three years. Reduced from TV and internet because I couldn’t afford $240 a month for basic cable and now just had internet. Have one gig which doesn’t work much at all. Ran into a rough patch. Made payment arrangements. Have it in writing but was shut off regardless when I called up because my service was going in and out - very choppy. The operator explained that this was done due to state of my account. During the conversation I was given an extension for a few days. Within the hour my service was off. When I called back I was told well unfortunately they’re not going to abide by the agreement. Sorry for the frustration. Amount of money that I’ve paid this company in the last three years is a car payment per month. I asked for a two day extension and this is what I get and it’s ** service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

There is no other cable company where I live (I guess it is a PUC problem that supports such a monopoly). I prefer to have all phone (need a phone), internet, and TV from one source. A third of my bill is for surcharges for things like sports (which I do not watch). Some channels have audio and video often out of synch. Channel lineup is poor (and am not using basic). Extremely long buffering times for say Netflix. Internet drops more often than I would like. Basically it is the worse service, especially for the price, that I have experienced since the onset of my cable TV experience 50+ years back, covering multiple providers. Some aspects are ok, but not close to the degree and weight of the issues.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If you use them for your cable be very careful as they will try and cheat you at every chance they get. I signed up for their service when moving into the area. They were advertising free installation, a good price and 6 months of free Showtime. I did not get the Showtime and was charged for installation. I had to call and complain to get what I was promised. Then in my welcome packet they promise a free on demand movie. So I watch a movie and of course was charged and the charge was not removed in 2 months as promised. Had to call about that. Then my promotional rate was up. I called to see if there was anything I could do to save, they said no. So I made arrangements to switch to Service Electric and called to cancel.

At that point they then wanted to offer me a better rate (let this be a lesson to you all if you want your prices to go down call and cancel) but I was ready to be free of them. So I finally got the guy to agree to cancel my service (only to have someone else harass me by phone and e-mail to try and come back later that evening) and he assured me it would be cancelled once I turned in my equipment. I did so that day and noticed a week later my bill had still not been adjusted. I called to ask what was going on and was promised my service had been cancelled and the bill would be fixed any day now, I certainly wouldn't be charged for a full month when I didn't even have service for 2 weeks.

Needless to say a week later I was charged for the full month. When I called again I was told that a credit would be issued in 10 days. It took 2 1/2 weeks and I was told that was "expedited" funny how when Amazon once shipped me something damaged they got me my money back same day. One overcharge I get, but 3 in 1 1/2 years? Not to mention the lies about the cancellation from their customer service people. They are either completely incompetent or hoping people won't notice they are being overcharged so they can keep the money. In addition to the illegal behavior my service was also not great. The installer was late and told me when he finally arrived that he had been overbooked and would never have made it in time. Yet no one thought to give me a heads up on that. My DVR used to freeze all the time, and my internet would sporadically cut off.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

RCN is horrible. I pay for 1 GB service but barely get 400mb on a good day. I cannot move a TV to another room in my home because RCN will not connect all the home run cables to their cable box, so I have to call a tech and be billed. If you try to call Tech Support be prepared to wait on hold for 45 minutes, then be ready to spend literally 2 hours troubleshooting with the tech support people who then tell you a tech must come out. Their phone service is very expensive for a phone that disconnects throughout the day at any given moment.

I had Xfinity X1 in my prior home in NJ and it was great - always getting at least 980MB download. I could move tv's around the entire home with no issues. The phone costs just $10 per month and ALWAYS worked. I called Comcast for service in Easton and was told that RCN has the monopoly here and Comcast was not allowed. WHAT HAPPENED TO COMPETITIVE BUSINESS IN A FREE MARKET! When can we get Comcast in Easton? Stay away from RCN unless you like the frustration of dealing with an expensive subpar cable provider.

RCN response

Hello, Richard! Thank you for taking the time to review your your recent RCN experience. Providing reliable service and exceptional customer care for a low rate is our goal. We want to make sure your concerns are resolved! Please reply to this private message with your account information so we can better assist you. Thank you for being a valued RCN customer! -Jackie

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I swear, leave it to RCN to steal your money without letting you know. Charging you for things you were never told about. Customer Service telling you to just "pay it". I honestly HATE RCN with the greatest of all passions but the building that I live in only allows us to get RCN - in essence another way to steal our money because I am sure they have some type of agreement with our building. RCN, you should stop stealing from the poor to make the rich richer. It's absolutely disgusting!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I am very disappointed with the quality of customer service lately. In a chat session I received advice that was inapplicable and irrelevant to my Arris modem model CM820A. It does not have a battery but yet I was told to open the battery cover and remove the battery. When I tried to explain that all my phones are connected to a wall outlet and not connected to the modem, the agent rudely ignored me and insinuated that I did not want to follow the instructions and threatened me with a $54.95 charge. Although I have heard about poor RCN tech support, until now I have never experienced such a deplorable and ignorant representative in all my years of contacting technical support. RCN should properly train all its agents on acceptable customer service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

RCN is our provider for cable TV (we have TIVO), internet, and landline telephone. We have been loyal customers for over 15 years. Their telephone support system has improved greatly over the last few years, because the agents are in the U.S.A. Most of the technicians who come out to the house to make repairs are very good, with one or two who have been terrible. Our biggest complaint is the COST. Our monthly bill keeps increasing. Our second biggest complaint is that we never watch most of the channels we are forced to pay for, because our favorite channels are put in bundles with those channels.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I cannot explain how much I cannot stand this company. I have had to call them over 12 times in the past few months. They have continuously caused us issues over and over, then charge us for their own mistakes! Then I call to get it fixed and 1.5 hours later I still have not had the problem solved OR they fixed the one problem and caused another. The only reason we still have RCN is because we are forced to have this service while living in our current building. I would think about moving again to get away from them. I could go into greater detail but that would require pages. If you make the poor choice of getting RCN make sure you watch your bill carefully! They will charge you for things you did not know were chargeable.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company has a pretty smart scam going, offering new customers great rates and steadily hiking prices every year from $52 to $72 to $92 then up to $152. I would love to know why the modem rental cost is increasing every year, when the actual modem is depreciating in value every year. This is a clear indication that RCN is engaged in dishonest billing practices. Based on the thousands of similar complaints I'm seeing, I see a class action lawsuit in their future.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have being using RCN for 3 years and I asked for transfer of my account and I was charge without even informed about the charges that I was charge. Call customer care and they insisted I should pay the amount of money they charge. I receive no help. And when they increase the charges is like 40 percent of my initial charges.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’ve ordered the NHL Center Ice package Thursday morning. I recorded a game while I was at work (third shift) and started watching it when I came home Friday morning and noticed it wasn’t in HD. I called to cancel the package bc I didn’t know it wasn’t HD. My fault for assuming, since it is 2018, a 140 sports package would naturally be in HD. I was told that they could cancel the package however it was non refundable. What’s the point of that? I was told that there is one hockey channel in HD each night. Staggering.

One out of 16 games a night is in HD - all the others you might as well pretend it’s 1985 as you watch in 480i. I don’t know what’s more disgusting, that they cannot refund any portion of the money or the fact that they cannot broadcast in full HD. Customer service was a joke as I was told one channel is HD, she clearly doesn’t understand the amount of games played on one day. Terrible service and the prices are a joke. This month is officially the start of my second year with them. I’m at 156 per month when I started at 93 and have not made any changes at all.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had my card cloned and had to work with my credit card company to reinstate my card, inform all my vendors of the situation, and such. What a headache. All the companies I spoke with were understanding and gave me the benefit of the doubt. Except RCN. I called them and asked if they could remove the charges. RCN had charged me an autopay denial fee of $25.00, a data late fee of $9.00, a payment declined fee of $39.95 which totals to $73.95. I got everything but the $25.00 taken off. Now I know $25.00 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I am a business owner and I understand what happens when payments are unauthorized. There is no charge to the company, and even if there is a charge, for a $100 bill, 2.9% + 0.30 is $3.20 but the company is charging $25.00 to make a profit. It's just bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I was aware that Internet providers in the U.S. increase the rates after a year of use, insisting that the price you sign up to is a promo. So I wasn't that surprised when my bill went up $15 for exactly the same service I was receiving. Having investigated the web and talked to locals, I armed myself with competitors' quotes and other tools for efficient negotiation. Yes, it's embarrassing that the 21st century commodity provider makes you bargain, bringing you to some sort of medieval marketplace. But I'll leave that behind and say that their customer service is a DISASTER. They are using as much of time as possible, never answer straightforward questions, bombard you with unnecessary information.

It took me about 20 minutes on phone to ask about the monthly rate for downgrade and 20 minutes more to learn about the magical "loyalty credit" of $10 they are super gracious to apply to my account for one more year. Next day I started the conversation in a different way, "I'm gonna leave you, so beat the competitors' deal", but they showed zero interest to it. I know other folks were more lucky and made the rep bounce the rate back to the original one. I wasn't. This pricing policy on a commodity market is totally insane. I hope that some sort of anti-monopoly service will take notice of RCN's practices.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

RCN, like all cable companies, offers the ability to record shows and stream at a later time on multiple devices. This is clearly promoted in their sales materials. The service is a repackaging of Tivo. The service is significantly unreliable. They have constant technical issues. The support folks understand these issues poorly, and plainly have no access to the right technical people to address them.

As if that were not bad enough, I kept pushing the issue to get it resolved and was met with lies and fraud. First they told me I was not entitled to streaming services (the one they promote on their website!) anyway because I was not paying a fee for them, which is false as a matter of law. Then, once they failed to fix the problem one time too many and I put enormous pressure on the no-accounts in the CEO's office, they began telling me that RCN "does not offer streaming services." This is not only a lie, but it constitutes fraud. A business cannot take you money for promoted products and services and then later deny the products and services do not exist. It is not clear whether anyone is running RCN at the top, but if someone is that person is plainly running a third-rate operation and is ignorantly unaware and how customers are being treated. If you value recording shows and the related streaming of them, RCN is a horrific choice.

RCN Company Information