Cablevision

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I watch channel 88. This past year it has been coming in pixelated. Their answer is to send a guy for "maybe" 80.00. My biggest bill is Optimum. I can't afford the maintenance agreement or the 80.00 additional to the ridiculous amount I spend now. I'm 83 and I don't drive, walk or talk very well anymore. I pay for 2 boxes just shy of 200.00 (will be over after the increase) per month. No movie channels, no rewind, no HD, no on demand nothing but channel 88. They treat me very poorly. I don't know what to do.

I recently signed up for Optimum Online 200. I was told when I signed up the cost for the service would be $64.95 per month. I was told there would also be a one-time installation charge of $60.00. I told Optimum I had my own cable modem and didn't need the installation service. I said I could just plug in my modem then provide MAC address over the phone to register. I know plenty of other people who done the same thing. The sales rep said an installer had to come no matter what. I told him I would not be interested in the service if I had to pay $60 for the installation. His solution was to pay for the first month and installation cost up front.

After the installation, I would be credit the $60 back. I should have known here that this would be a problem. Either I should have recorded the conversation or made sure I got it in writing. I took the Optimum rep for his word, "I hope you do not make the same mistake." Long story short, I called multiple times since and I never received the $60 back as of today. The customer service reps I spoke with said there was nothing that they could do. They said I would need to talk to the original sales rep.

Every time I called, he was never in, and they could only email him to inform him to call me back. However, after repeated attempts, he never called me back. I am extremely frustrated after being lied to. The sales rep wanted the sale and lied to get it done. I am still trying to get the money back and have since had someone help me escalate the issue. However, I do not feel confident anything will come of it. I think my last solution would be to try and dispute the charge.

I did have some other smaller issues as well. Optimum is still charging me a modem fee after telling them I had my own from the start. They said I would receive a refund after the modem was installed (plugged in) by their tech. It never happened. I did call recently and was told I would receive a credit. I have not seen one as of yet. The final issue I had with them when I signed up originally they linked someone else's email to my account. I was receiving their Optimum emails with their personal info. It took multiple calls to get this resolved but finally did.

I am disgusted with Cablevision, and I am wondering why somebody isn't regulating them with all their hidden fees? The rental fee for a box was just raised to $10 a box plus tax, and the Sports Channel Surcharges just increased by $2.98 starting Dec. 2016. I have four boxes, so now I will be paying approximately $500 a year, including tax, to rent them. I have been with Cablevision for years, so they have cost me thousands of dollars. We have paid for them over and over again.

As far as the Sports Channel Surcharges, why should we have to pay this fee when we do not watch the Sports Channel? When is something going to be done about these hidden fees? It is just another way for them to profit at their customer’s expense. This new Cablevision company has raised all rates to a ridiculous amount. They have pushed people too far, and will ultimately lose customers for greed!!! Why shouldn't they have a cap on fees like everybody else, or why should we have to pay for boxes that we have already paid for? Disgusted Cablevision customer.

10/14/16 – received a call from a family member that a notice from Cablevision (Optimum) was placed on the front door indicating that there was a signal leakage and to please call for service. Although the notice had a date of 10/16/16. I was out of town but called to scheduled service for Tuesday 10/18/16. Customer service told me that the technician would be to the house with a window of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. Ridiculous. They could not tighten the window.

10/18/16 – around 12:00 pm I called Cablevision to see if they could give me a better idea of when the Technician would be at my home. They said that they saw I called to schedule an appointment for 10/18/16, but was not put on the schedule. I asked if I could be put on and they said they would put me on the schedule, and the technician would be there by 8:00 pm that night. Around 7:00 pm I called to see when the technician would be at the house. I was told that the technician would be at my house by 7:30 pm. At 8:00 pm, I called because the technician was not at the house. They told me he should have been here by 7:30 and they were trying to find him. They then told me that the technician was not going to show up, and I had to reschedule. I blew up. But rescheduled for Saturday 10/22/16 and demanded that I be the first customer at 8:00 am.

10/22/16 – I was not the first customer because the technician did not show up at 8:00 am. I called Cablevision and they do not guarantee anything other than a window, which was 8:00 am – 11:00 am. I finally got them to tell me that the technician would be there by 10:00 am. Seeing is believing. Note: I did not even discuss what are they going to give me ($) since I waited home all day on 10/18/16 and the technician cancelled.

I am moving out of state and notified Cablevision that I will be returning my equipment and was informed that I am still liable for FULL payment of service for the billing cycle even though I am moving out of state??? My billing cycle ends on the 22nd but I am returning it on the 1st of the month and will not get a refund due to the fact that it is their policy as of August 2016 that they demand full payment of billing cycle even if you move out of state. Why should I pay for a service if I am not using it and disconnected??? I don't think that this is legal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cablevision?

The new On Demand menu is so tiny I can't read anything unless I get 2 feet in front of my TV. I guess they only thought about viewers who own 60" TVs and have perfect vision. My screen is 32 inches and I do wear glasses but I SHOULD be able to read what the heck is on the menu when I'm sitting only 10 feet away. In addition to this when I try to watch a movie On Demand it abruptly stops about 40 minutes in and will not resume. I've rebooted to no avail. Please fix this. Please make the writing big enough for the average person not Superman with X-ray vision.

WARNING. OPTIMUM TRIES TO BLACKMAIL POTENTIAL NEW CUSTOMERS for previous bills not associated to them from their address. UNREPUTABLE COMPANY with unethical business practices. They discussed someone else's bill that previously lived at this address in detail even when I said multiple times it's not legal for them to do that and against the Federal Credit Billing Act. It is also against the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

To clarify, I was NOT living at this address when the services were supposedly rendered to this person. The house was destroyed in a hurricane and I came into possession after it was rebuilt. All of this information is personal and none of which I should have to be interrogated for by a customer service agent. They also wanted me to provide sensitive personal information when I ONLY wanted pricing before providing the information to me. A grievance will be filed with the Fair Trade Commission as well.

I have been trying to cancel my sorry cable service since April. Why do optimum go on & on & on about how expensive it is to cancel the cable and the favorite line... I'M ON A PROMOTIONAL rate? The service sucks. IT'S TIME TO BOYCOTT THIS SERVICE. They show the same old movies 87% of the time. They are so outdated. When I complained stephon the optimum agent started going off about how much the service costs when he doesn't know my budget or my circumstances that rude punk. They still show Christmas movies in the SUMMER? I am sick of being ripped off by these disgusting cable companies who have become billionaires by stepping on little people. The sorry choices in BROOKLYN.

This Internet service is the worse in the metro area. Even if I upgrade to a 75 or 100, it is still very slow and bad, and sometimes it just cuts off. I called numerous times and they have switched modems but still a year later, same problem. I call customer service and the excuse they give me is that there is too much people in my area with the same service. Save your money and go to Verizon or anyone else, I used to have Verizon and their service was really fast. I am switching over. The prices for Optimum cable are very expensive also, I am paying $130 for Internet and phone, no TV. Not worth the headaches for the price.

Poor hardware, poor software, poor customer service. Everything about Cablevision is slow, from the guide to the customer service. Cablevision nickel and dimes their customers and charges to update decade old equipment even if the problem is admittedly on their end. I have yet to speak to someone helpful in my 10 years as a customer. If another cable provider was available in my area I would jump at the chance to switch.

This company is very bad. When we call for customer service it takes forever to connect. We always have issues with the service. We are being charged extra every month, and when we call for disconnecting the service we are treated like third class citizens. I do not recommend the service of Cablevision to anybody. Please get any other service and avoid Cablevision due to the problems.

It used to be excellent, especially in the internet department. However, in the past several months the agents I have spoken to were either not well informed or could not offer me solutions to the basic issues such as internet connection downtime or slow cable navigation. When the internet speed was 50 Mbps, I had nothing to complain about. Perhaps just the issues with the cable box (the navigation is very slow and sometimes it crashes). However, they downgraded me to 25 Mbps, and now internet service is intermittent with occasional down times they can't explain. Knowing that they are capable of providing me with 50 Mbps but consciously downsize me to 25, it looks pretty bad in comparison to other providers in my area.

Their services are still competitive, but not for the price... They have been increasing it a couple times a year for 7 years that we've been with them, and now it hit the level where the cost just doesn't match the value we receive. We are looking to cut the cable and/or switch to a different provider (most likely, Fios). Can't complain about their reliability.

Internet speed: I asked the agent why do they even offer 25 Mbps when Fios starts from 100 Mbps in our area (suburb of NYC). He gave me the lamest excuse: that there are "retired people" who don't need fast internet. It's 2016, and it's like saying that you don't need a gym membership, you can just walk with grocery bags more often. Besides, you shouldn't make assumptions about "retired people" or any other people, honestly. Fios doesn't. It's a matter of competition.

The price hikes. The industry has been like this for decades, but times change and this broken system just has to crash at some point. You have to reward the loyalty of your subscribers. It's fine to do a one time rate increase when "the promotional offer has expired". Perhaps, do price adjustments once in a few years, since inflation, etc. But several rate hikes a year? Are you actually challenging your customers to walk away to a competitor? If you increase the rates every year, it is a no-brainer. There remains only one true advantage that Cablevision has over other folks: the wireless hotspots that help to save on wireless bills. But just think what you are going to do when competitors catch up. Currently, from my perspective, all eggs are in one basket.

Some of the representatives from the company are very hopeful. Many are completely unhelpful. Some of them don't even care if they ever have your business ever again. The quality of the service is relatively good. The Internet is kind of slow most days especially peak hours when it's very slow. The programming lately, it's very boring, redundant. Too much of the same old same old. They were on the same movies. They do reruns of the same shows. Most of the time I find myself skipping from channel to channel because are so many commercials in between or not watching television at all.

Some days we have good service but most days we don't have good service at all. Can't even get on the Internet. It will be great if there is an option where I could pick and choose the actual channels I want to watch and only be charge for those channels. For example we don't want sports in our family but the package that we have makes us pay a fee because the sports channels make them pay a fee even though we never ever watch sports.

They have eliminated a lot of the channels; but yet the bill keeps going up higher. I am paying almost $150 for basic extended service. Basically that means I have basic service and music channels. That is all. No movie channels at all yet I am paying that much. I am not happy with them at all and at times the TV will freeze and the phone will lock up and you cannot call out or receive incoming calls. The service is terrible! Very poor for what channels and telephone service the cost is too much. TV will freeze up, the telephone locks up and incoming and outgoing calls you cannot make at times. I have Suddenlink which used to be Cox Cable here in Stillwater. You do not have any other choices since Cox no longer services here, and the other satellite stations you cannot get due to the area.

Many of the issues requiring cable support are generated by the cable company to begin with. Having said that once you get through, the support is ok. The service is generally good. The value of what you are paying for is not there because you cannot select what you want to pay for. The service is packaged. The reliability is generally good for the TV service. Internet is poor because the internet speeds keep changing. Allow customers to purchase only what they want. Do not play games with the internet speeds to try to get customers to purchase higher speed services.

In most cases they are able to repair service over the phone, but they are not proactive with providing discounted benefits when available. Service is pretty reliable. Occasionally telephone service requires the modem to be rebooted. Prices are constantly going up with no additional services provided. Cable box costs and "nickel and dime" costs for items such as remotes increase. They never offer incentives to stay with them. Their prices are not competitive vs other services offered in my area.

Sometimes I receive same day service. I enjoy mostly uninterrupted service and digital Hi Def. It seems every 6 months or so, my bill fees go up $5-$6/ mo. Very little interruption. I realize the cost of operations go up but perhaps if James Dolan didn't have to pay Carmelo Anthony $24.5 million this year and the Knicks didn't have a sub .500 team, my rates would be lower? I am seriously considering switching to DirecTV or Fios.

Non-caring attitude after a long wait on the phone. Generally non-communicative. Confined to a small number of viewing programs of any substance. Ads are nauseating and amount to rubbish most of the time. Their loss of so many customers of late seems to instill a better effort to become reliable. Living on a small island 650 miles east of Cape Hatteras has its challenges for a cable co., no doubt. Am exploring options as I speak.

I have the top cable service and pay top dollar. I use them for my phone and internet. My husband and I are seniors. We have a problem with our living room tv. The problem has persisted 2 years. Despite calls, visits and pleas the problem continues. They are coming tomorrow and have the gall to say we will be charged a tech fee if the tech feels the problem is our doing. I have no way of knowing if this so called tech is paid to get the fee.

When I voice my frustration to the company it is met with deaf ears. If I paid my bill the way they provide services they would take me to court. We work hard for our money and pay a lot. All I want is to be able to watch my tv when I want it. I am ready to change but as a tenant I am limited. I feel like a Cablevision hostage. Can't wait till tomorrow when yet another tech comes and the problem continues.

Cablevision added phone service to my monthly services in July of 2013. I had a conversation with customer support because my internet was slow and the TV kept losing signal. They offered to discount my service for 1 year. They did so, and after the year, my bill went up. What they did not tell me was that in order to get the discount, they added phone service to my account. I do not have a phone, nor did I want or need the phone service- and I told them that. They did it anyway. They have been billing me for phone service for the last 18 months (after the 'promotion' ended, at a rate of $19.95 per month).

I have had Cablevision/Optimum service for my small business computer for 8 years. I still have the original modem Cablevision installed. This month I started being charged $9.99/month for this same 8 year old modem that I have not been charged anything for in the past. A similar new modem sells for $45 at Walmart. We all know an 8 year old modem has zero value, so this charge is a ripoff & shows how Cablevision does not value its small business customers.

I have Cablevision/Optimum service which includes Phone, TV, Internet. My cable bill is continually going up in price. I have the economy package which as of January 1st is increasing by $7. Currently my bill comes out to $165 per month which is ridiculous! That is without the $7 increase. I decide to just cut the TV service down to broadcast basic for $12.72, currently $88.03. Upon speaking Fernando with Cablevision, I was told that broadcast basic is not part of their triple play and if I choose that option my internet service would go from $49.95 to $59.95 and phone would go from $19.95 to $34.95! Basically I am being penalized for dropping to a basic TV service which I would still be paying Cablevision for! The channels I would be paying for are free channels no less that you can get with an antenna in NYC and surrounding areas.

These cable companies have a monopoly and basically have you by the balls! I have been a customer with Cablevision for about 13 years and when I started out they were wonderful. Now they don't give a ** about their customers as they know there are not many options for people. You have them or DirecTV. Their rates just keep going up and up. $7.56 per cable box per month that you need to operate the service is insane! A surcharge for sports and broadcast tv of $5.98 whether I watch sports or not! Cablevision is a big company that treats its customers like something on the bottom of their shoe and it is getting worse not better. Something needs to be done to bring competition to the cable companies so rates are competitive and people can make a choice that fits their needs. Right now Cablevision/Optimum just says to their customer "Bend over!" I'm disgusted!

There is always a problem with my service. The guide is down, the screen is fussy. If you ask for someone to come out to correct the problem, they give you hours when you're at work. Not happy.

I have had Cablevision since 1992 - 23 yrs, and I never made the connection between my TVs breaking in my family room and the way Cablevision wired my home (it was built). I have a 24 yr old TV in my bedroom that has never broken. I've had a TV or two in my basement only replaced because I wanted to upgrade it. I have had five brand new TVs, different brands, that broke over the years. I never made a connection to the way the house was wired and the breakdown of my TVs. I'm disgusted, because the last TV broke in November 2014 and within six months the next brand new TV has double exposure and a fluttering screen. I tried replacing the box but to no avail.

That brand new TV worked fine in the basement but broke here. Normally the TV just blows and the picture goes and it can't be revived...this time it's the horrible fluttering picture. I'm truly disgusted. When the servicemen came out last year, there was one tech plus a trainee. I'm disturbed to find out these people don't even work for Cablevision and are contracted out. They didn't come in with booties covering their shoes like all other workers do which really bothered me because I have a sick child. The trainee wouldn't take off his sunglasses (it was a dark dreary day) and instead of watching the employee (after all isn't that what he's supposed to do - learn? ), he was looking around my home, picking up pictures, asking if that was my daughter, walking in other rooms, and just plain CREEPING ME OUT.)

They wanted to go into the bedroom where my daughter was because they said that's probably where the wiring ended up after looking all over my home, but she was sick, so I would not let them in there. They alluded to the fact that it was probably a cable wiring issue. I've been told that if it is a wiring issue, I would have to pay $59.95 if I don't buy a plan for $4.99/mo. At this point, Cablevision should be paying ME for all the TVs that broke because of their shoddy wiring!

This internet is down or slow about 40% of the time. The customer service representatives are nice people but it does not matter given the fact that I have to call them and lose time trying to fix the problem. Most of the time the company sends an independent contractor to service the equipment, they just replace them with similar products and within a month or so the same problem reoccurred. Sure, they given me credit but it is an unreliable "service" - if it is not slow, it is down. It is my opinion that the equipment is just defective or mine have a fault that continues to break down.

I've been a customer for almost 30 years. Seen the changes and worked through outages. Overall the service is good and stable. I think that for long time customers some bonuses should be given. Yes as with everything my bill crept up and up, so I made adjustments. I have a terrific package now of Cable TV, phone, and internet w/ WiFi across some of the Tri-State area. The technicians and phone support has improved to a very high standard. It's very rare now to run into a jaded support person.

I spoke with a rep at Cablevision and asked for a better plan. I was told I would have to upgrade. They sent a letter stating they gave a $15 promotion, but it was for the same plan I already had. It was just too costly and I asked to downgrade. They pulled nearly every channel off for a mere $5 reduction. Now I am very limited as to what I can watch. I was then sent a survey which I responded to with a negative tone. I was called by one of their reps and she was trying to make me upgrade again. I said I would not do it. She claimed I was still under the promotion and technically I should still be paying more.

This company is one total rip off to the American people. It's a monopoly and I can't get any other service provider in this area. They have no options except for the packages they want YOU to have and are unwilling to let anyone choose what they want to watch. Now I'm stuck watching cartoon channels and the basic cable channels. How ridiculous can a company get and get away with it. I am more than angry and if I could would rate this company sub-zero! That's what I think of Cablevision. Get your act together people because we're not going to take it anymore. I bought a Roku instead and I'm not thrilled with the options, but if I have to I can pull the plug altogether.

This should not be happening in the USA! What happened to fair competition? I'm very unhappy and more than disillusioned with the way Cablevision handled this situation. They didn't even try to negotiate as they had in the past. The rep offered a 3 month plan to something which I can't even remember, but said she would pull it at the end of the 3 month period. I told her, "Don't even bother." This is outrageous and needs to be stopped. I would rather go back to watching a black and white TV with channels I could select (which were fewer) than see the garbage that I have to pay for on Cablevision. It is distasteful at best except for the few news stations I can still watch - and I do mean few channels. Pretty soon Cablevision will be asking people to pay for commercials and no content. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Have been a prisoner of Optimum for two years since Cablevision/Optimum became an internet supplier monopoly in the Eastern Long Island area (Verizon used to compete but Cablevision have blocked them from doing so). There are alternatives to phone and TV, but internet is a monopoly... and I need internet for my work. I am so angry at this vile company that I would happily live without TV and give up my land line for a cell phone, but I 100% need internet for my work. Of course, 99% of people are in the same situation, which is why the crooks at Optimum worked so hard to get an internet monopoly. Other alternatives for internet service.

I called two days prior to upgrading my package so that I could watch one show. The rep stated that I could add the package and cancel it the next day, but there would be a $4.99 charge to do it. Fine. When I called to cancel the upgraded service I got some rude rep who told me that my total bill would now be more money than it was less than 24 hours ago for the EXACT same service. I was pissed. I told him that I called two days prior and nobody told me that and he basically said he's sorry, but too bad. So I had to downgrade my service to a lesser package than what I had prior to this for the same price. The real issue is that in Edison, NJ Cablevision has a monopoly as there are no other alternatives for internet service. You can get a satellite for the TV, but there is no comparable service for the internet. I thought monopolies were illegal? I heard that Edison is blocking Verizon from competing in this market here.

Today my telephone and internet was not working again (2nd time this week). I immediately called customer’s service at about 9:30 am and they tried to do a reset over the phone, which did not work. They said they would have someone come out to my place by 8 pm today. I called out of work because my mother lives here, and is sickly and needs the phone and cannot move around to accommodate the technician. The first call I received from the dispatch department was at 5 pm, stating someone was supposed to be here by 5 pm, however that technician is behind schedule but they will try to have someone here by 6 pm. I was still fine with that.

At about 6:03 pm I called the customer service department back stating some was supposed to be here by 6 pm and I haven't heard from anyone yet. The customer service Representative placed me on a brief hold and assured me they were sorry for any inconvenience but someone would definitely be there by 8 pm. She also stated she would credit my account $25. I'm still fine with that. As soon as I hung up with the phone with the representative, the same dispatch number called with a different person speaking this time, stated that no one would be coming to my place to fix the problem today. I told them I just hung up with a customer service rep and she assured me someone would be there. She said “Do you want to speak to my supervisor?” (As if she just did not want to deal with me.)

The supervisor came on the phone and said "I don't know why she told you that for because we don't have no one available for the job". He goes on stating that it doesn't show that I called or any notes were made to my account. He said I would have to reschedule for another day. I told him that I could not do that because I called out and could not keep calling out. He put me on a long hold saying he would keep trying to see if he could find someone to take the job. Of course he couldn't find anyone. I called back the customer service department stating I was very confused because the rep is saying some will come and the dispatch unit is stating no one is coming. She told me I would have to reschedule as well at this point. I reschedule for the next day. Hopefully someone will show up.

This experience makes me want to cancel my service because they are not treating customers fairly. If you cannot provide same day device you should not tell a customer you can and have them waiting home all day for nothing. Now I lose a whole day of pay for nothing And furthermore I have to pay for service that I cannot use. This is just unfair.

Cablevision Company Profile