Cablevision

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I disconnected the service in the middle of the cycle, and Cablevision threatened to charge me for the full cycle. Had to go through several hurdles to get to the manager. Cablevision stinks both literally and figuratively speaking.

I have been a Cablevision/Optimum customer for years and have had consistent issues with my service. I live in an old home that was completely gutted and renovated 5 years ago, every wire is new inside and out, yet I have issues with TV viewing quality and internet speeds trying to use my in home devices. I have called customer service, went through their "Live Chat" website feature, turned to Facebook for help, gone into the Wall retail location, and quite a few technicians have come but I am still not receiving quality service. For example, I have called to remove the phone line from my account numerous times and each time they have said I can't or went against what I asked and put me on a contract with it. I pay roughly $170 a month and can't watch a show on Netflix while going on an app on my phone that require wifi, neither will load and the only option is to switch off the wifi on my phone.

To watch a show on my iPad, more than once, I've had to hotspot the iPad from my iPhone to get a signal that was strong enough to buffer a show - this is ridiculous. Tonight was the last straw when I was told it would most likely cost me $80 for them to come and fix my service or I could pay $6.99/month for them to be able to come out whenever. Their service is that bad they are now offering protection plans?! In my other home I had Xfinity and was only here for brief periods and would fight them when I had the time but now I'm transitioning to this home permanently and have had enough. They need to provide customers what they are paying for or credit my bill the way Comcast Xfinity does!

Today I received a letter from Cablevision saying they were terminating my account after 20 years because "you have contacted customer service an excessive number of times. While some of these calls have been to seemingly report service issues and discuss your monthly billing statement, you have repeatedly been uncooperative with our representative's offers and attempts to assist you over the telephone."

What they really mean is that I get angry when I am on hold for upwards of twenty minutes at a time, and when I question their bills. They accuse me of being abusive, which I categorically deny although I know I speak loudly at times because I am hearing-impaired, which I have explained to them ad nauseam. I cannot take days off of work to wait for a service tech who usually does not show up as scheduled, especially when they have to return two or three times to correct what they did wrong the first time.

My bills have gone up astronomically. I resent having to pay for a Sports Channel which I do not watch, and which they say is part of the "silver package." but charge for additionally. I feel like I'm going in circles when I speak with them. They also found a bill they say I missed paying that was months old, although I pay in full every month. If I miss a bill, why does it take them 5 months to say something? This company is out of control. There needs to be some oversight. I am a senior citizen who is hearing-impaired and losing my sight. The last thing I need is an argument from them.

We have over 100 accounts with Cablevision, an automated system called me to tell me we are past due $89 and they will shut off service in 7 days. I called and was on the phone for over an hour and Cablevision will not tell us what account is past due. I called from the number they called me on. I asked, "How can we pay a bill you are calling on if we don't have the account information." I spoke with 4 supervisors and they will not give us the account information that is past due other than tell us there is not one listed on the account so they can't give the information to anyone, not even the primary person who they call.

This place has such lousy customer service in general, but when trying to pay a bill. And if we want to pay it they still won't tell us what account it is. Their system is terrible and unacceptable. We are working on trying to cancel as many accounts as we can moving forward and switch to another service. Worst company I have ever dealt with without making a payment. Thank You.

Closing an account with this crap company made me pay $166.00 for only two days of service. Is it right? To pay this amount for two days for the reason that I switched companies? Shame to this company and hope more people will be aware of this ripoff, from a such a large company with NO BRAIN. Lost my business forever for $166.00 Hope they will lose more, until they die and close doors. If there will be SOME HELP I would like to know, or some advice how to proceed to get these company out of track. SHAME TO CABLEVISION!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cablevision?

I have only had basic TV with Cablevision for over 13 yrs. Every year the bill would go up along with the fees. I had never received a late fees until several months ago. I had went on vacation for 2 weeks and was late on a payment of $27.69 and incurred a $10 late fee. When I called to pay it, I was told my next bill was up and that I had also incurred another $10 late fee. They said I had a window of 30 days to pay without getting the late fee charge but because I was late with last month's bill, the 30 window was down to 20 days which was the date when I called to make the payment on the first bill. I never received notice that a $10 late fee would be charged. Never!

I finally got an antenna and my TV has more channels than with Cablevision. I contacted Cablevision to close my account. After verifying my name, address and telephone number, I was ask for the amount I paid on the last bill. I told them I did not remember. They refused to close my account because I did not provide the last payment I made to them. I called back and asked for billing who were able to tell me what I paid and was able to close my account. STUPID & RIDICULOUS! Cablevision are unprofessional and greedy. They don't give a ** about their customers. They just want the money. Thank God I won't use them anymore. Please find another provider. Don't trust Cablevision. They will "fee" you up the ass.

Cablevision has raised rates twice this year. I am constantly being hit with a tiling problem where the screen goes to what looks like tiles. Plus we are getting a notification of channel not available when we dvr. I called them up and unless it’s happening when they are on the phone they will do nothing. But by the time you get through the phone mail hell any issue is gone. So basically they do nothing. I can't wait for Verizon to come to Edison. I will drop kick Cablevision so fast. If I had a choice that was better I would use them. But this company bribes politicians to keep a lock on their territories.

Cablevision just raised rate on boxes to $10 and no longer are remotes included in rate. So even after negotiating a new rate in July of 2016 for 1 year of $196 (before taxes), they decided to implement this to ALL customers. Claimed they "have no contracts." True but any agreement you make with them isn't valid either. This company is unethical. The FCC should be monitoring their activity. Many seniors depend on TV to get news and weather. They need phone especially if they don't have a cell. Plus need internet service. Right now we pay $220.00/mo, have no pay channels (basic TV), basic internet, phone/fax. We have no other options because Verizon doesn't provide service for our area and they know it.

I just wanted to state that when I finally decided to move my service to FIOS, they decided to let me know that if I cancel just the few days into my billing cycle with them they would charge me for the full month anyway. They are LIARS or truly incompetent. One or the other. When I spoke with FIOS they stated that the industry Cannot bill for an entire month because it is illegal. They use scare tactics.

I disconnected my service which was the "Triple Play" on Dec. 20. 2016 and still have to pay for internet service UNTIL Jan. 7, 2017. I was given a reprieve on the phone but not the internet which I don't want since I canceled the service. I don't think that the change the company did in October 2016 is legal to make customers pay for the complete billing cycle when the customers canceled service in the middle of the cycle. The company can raise rates and supposedly disregard the plan that the customer signed up for in the beginning and the customer has no say about it. I feel you should not have to pay for something you are not going to use.

I have been with Cablevision from when it was called something else. I can't tell you how upset I get with their never ending increases. This month, the box rental which they never charge before will go up from $7. to $10. per month. I have 3 TV's. My TV Will be increased. It is over $100, my Phone will be increased and my Internet will increase to over $50.00 per month. I am 80 years old and my wish would be if they would PLEASE bring back free TV. Looks like I will be over $200. per month for movies that are constantly repeated. TOTALLY INSANE.

I watch channel 88. This past year it has been coming in pixelated. Their answer is to send a guy for "maybe" 80.00. My biggest bill is Optimum. I can't afford the maintenance agreement or the 80.00 additional to the ridiculous amount I spend now. I'm 83 and I don't drive, walk or talk very well anymore. I pay for 2 boxes just shy of 200.00 (will be over after the increase) per month. No movie channels, no rewind, no HD, no on demand nothing but channel 88. They treat me very poorly. I don't know what to do.

I recently signed up for Optimum Online 200. I was told when I signed up the cost for the service would be $64.95 per month. I was told there would also be a one-time installation charge of $60.00. I told Optimum I had my own cable modem and didn't need the installation service. I said I could just plug in my modem then provide MAC address over the phone to register. I know plenty of other people who done the same thing. The sales rep said an installer had to come no matter what. I told him I would not be interested in the service if I had to pay $60 for the installation. His solution was to pay for the first month and installation cost up front.

After the installation, I would be credit the $60 back. I should have known here that this would be a problem. Either I should have recorded the conversation or made sure I got it in writing. I took the Optimum rep for his word, "I hope you do not make the same mistake." Long story short, I called multiple times since and I never received the $60 back as of today. The customer service reps I spoke with said there was nothing that they could do. They said I would need to talk to the original sales rep.

Every time I called, he was never in, and they could only email him to inform him to call me back. However, after repeated attempts, he never called me back. I am extremely frustrated after being lied to. The sales rep wanted the sale and lied to get it done. I am still trying to get the money back and have since had someone help me escalate the issue. However, I do not feel confident anything will come of it. I think my last solution would be to try and dispute the charge.

I did have some other smaller issues as well. Optimum is still charging me a modem fee after telling them I had my own from the start. They said I would receive a refund after the modem was installed (plugged in) by their tech. It never happened. I did call recently and was told I would receive a credit. I have not seen one as of yet. The final issue I had with them when I signed up originally they linked someone else's email to my account. I was receiving their Optimum emails with their personal info. It took multiple calls to get this resolved but finally did.

I am disgusted with Cablevision, and I am wondering why somebody isn't regulating them with all their hidden fees? The rental fee for a box was just raised to $10 a box plus tax, and the Sports Channel Surcharges just increased by $2.98 starting Dec. 2016. I have four boxes, so now I will be paying approximately $500 a year, including tax, to rent them. I have been with Cablevision for years, so they have cost me thousands of dollars. We have paid for them over and over again.

As far as the Sports Channel Surcharges, why should we have to pay this fee when we do not watch the Sports Channel? When is something going to be done about these hidden fees? It is just another way for them to profit at their customer’s expense. This new Cablevision company has raised all rates to a ridiculous amount. They have pushed people too far, and will ultimately lose customers for greed!!! Why shouldn't they have a cap on fees like everybody else, or why should we have to pay for boxes that we have already paid for? Disgusted Cablevision customer.

10/14/16 – received a call from a family member that a notice from Cablevision (Optimum) was placed on the front door indicating that there was a signal leakage and to please call for service. Although the notice had a date of 10/16/16. I was out of town but called to scheduled service for Tuesday 10/18/16. Customer service told me that the technician would be to the house with a window of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. Ridiculous. They could not tighten the window.

10/18/16 – around 12:00 pm I called Cablevision to see if they could give me a better idea of when the Technician would be at my home. They said that they saw I called to schedule an appointment for 10/18/16, but was not put on the schedule. I asked if I could be put on and they said they would put me on the schedule, and the technician would be there by 8:00 pm that night. Around 7:00 pm I called to see when the technician would be at the house. I was told that the technician would be at my house by 7:30 pm. At 8:00 pm, I called because the technician was not at the house. They told me he should have been here by 7:30 and they were trying to find him. They then told me that the technician was not going to show up, and I had to reschedule. I blew up. But rescheduled for Saturday 10/22/16 and demanded that I be the first customer at 8:00 am.

10/22/16 – I was not the first customer because the technician did not show up at 8:00 am. I called Cablevision and they do not guarantee anything other than a window, which was 8:00 am – 11:00 am. I finally got them to tell me that the technician would be there by 10:00 am. Seeing is believing. Note: I did not even discuss what are they going to give me ($) since I waited home all day on 10/18/16 and the technician cancelled.

I am moving out of state and notified Cablevision that I will be returning my equipment and was informed that I am still liable for FULL payment of service for the billing cycle even though I am moving out of state??? My billing cycle ends on the 22nd but I am returning it on the 1st of the month and will not get a refund due to the fact that it is their policy as of August 2016 that they demand full payment of billing cycle even if you move out of state. Why should I pay for a service if I am not using it and disconnected??? I don't think that this is legal.

The new On Demand menu is so tiny I can't read anything unless I get 2 feet in front of my TV. I guess they only thought about viewers who own 60" TVs and have perfect vision. My screen is 32 inches and I do wear glasses but I SHOULD be able to read what the heck is on the menu when I'm sitting only 10 feet away. In addition to this when I try to watch a movie On Demand it abruptly stops about 40 minutes in and will not resume. I've rebooted to no avail. Please fix this. Please make the writing big enough for the average person not Superman with X-ray vision.

WARNING. OPTIMUM TRIES TO BLACKMAIL POTENTIAL NEW CUSTOMERS for previous bills not associated to them from their address. UNREPUTABLE COMPANY with unethical business practices. They discussed someone else's bill that previously lived at this address in detail even when I said multiple times it's not legal for them to do that and against the Federal Credit Billing Act. It is also against the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

To clarify, I was NOT living at this address when the services were supposedly rendered to this person. The house was destroyed in a hurricane and I came into possession after it was rebuilt. All of this information is personal and none of which I should have to be interrogated for by a customer service agent. They also wanted me to provide sensitive personal information when I ONLY wanted pricing before providing the information to me. A grievance will be filed with the Fair Trade Commission as well.

I have been trying to cancel my sorry cable service since April. Why do optimum go on & on & on about how expensive it is to cancel the cable and the favorite line... I'M ON A PROMOTIONAL rate? The service sucks. IT'S TIME TO BOYCOTT THIS SERVICE. They show the same old movies 87% of the time. They are so outdated. When I complained stephon the optimum agent started going off about how much the service costs when he doesn't know my budget or my circumstances that rude punk. They still show Christmas movies in the SUMMER? I am sick of being ripped off by these disgusting cable companies who have become billionaires by stepping on little people. The sorry choices in BROOKLYN.

This Internet service is the worse in the metro area. Even if I upgrade to a 75 or 100, it is still very slow and bad, and sometimes it just cuts off. I called numerous times and they have switched modems but still a year later, same problem. I call customer service and the excuse they give me is that there is too much people in my area with the same service. Save your money and go to Verizon or anyone else, I used to have Verizon and their service was really fast. I am switching over. The prices for Optimum cable are very expensive also, I am paying $130 for Internet and phone, no TV. Not worth the headaches for the price.

Poor hardware, poor software, poor customer service. Everything about Cablevision is slow, from the guide to the customer service. Cablevision nickel and dimes their customers and charges to update decade old equipment even if the problem is admittedly on their end. I have yet to speak to someone helpful in my 10 years as a customer. If another cable provider was available in my area I would jump at the chance to switch.

This company is very bad. When we call for customer service it takes forever to connect. We always have issues with the service. We are being charged extra every month, and when we call for disconnecting the service we are treated like third class citizens. I do not recommend the service of Cablevision to anybody. Please get any other service and avoid Cablevision due to the problems.

It used to be excellent, especially in the internet department. However, in the past several months the agents I have spoken to were either not well informed or could not offer me solutions to the basic issues such as internet connection downtime or slow cable navigation. When the internet speed was 50 Mbps, I had nothing to complain about. Perhaps just the issues with the cable box (the navigation is very slow and sometimes it crashes). However, they downgraded me to 25 Mbps, and now internet service is intermittent with occasional down times they can't explain. Knowing that they are capable of providing me with 50 Mbps but consciously downsize me to 25, it looks pretty bad in comparison to other providers in my area.

Their services are still competitive, but not for the price... They have been increasing it a couple times a year for 7 years that we've been with them, and now it hit the level where the cost just doesn't match the value we receive. We are looking to cut the cable and/or switch to a different provider (most likely, Fios). Can't complain about their reliability.

Internet speed: I asked the agent why do they even offer 25 Mbps when Fios starts from 100 Mbps in our area (suburb of NYC). He gave me the lamest excuse: that there are "retired people" who don't need fast internet. It's 2016, and it's like saying that you don't need a gym membership, you can just walk with grocery bags more often. Besides, you shouldn't make assumptions about "retired people" or any other people, honestly. Fios doesn't. It's a matter of competition.

The price hikes. The industry has been like this for decades, but times change and this broken system just has to crash at some point. You have to reward the loyalty of your subscribers. It's fine to do a one time rate increase when "the promotional offer has expired". Perhaps, do price adjustments once in a few years, since inflation, etc. But several rate hikes a year? Are you actually challenging your customers to walk away to a competitor? If you increase the rates every year, it is a no-brainer. There remains only one true advantage that Cablevision has over other folks: the wireless hotspots that help to save on wireless bills. But just think what you are going to do when competitors catch up. Currently, from my perspective, all eggs are in one basket.

Some of the representatives from the company are very hopeful. Many are completely unhelpful. Some of them don't even care if they ever have your business ever again. The quality of the service is relatively good. The Internet is kind of slow most days especially peak hours when it's very slow. The programming lately, it's very boring, redundant. Too much of the same old same old. They were on the same movies. They do reruns of the same shows. Most of the time I find myself skipping from channel to channel because are so many commercials in between or not watching television at all.

Some days we have good service but most days we don't have good service at all. Can't even get on the Internet. It will be great if there is an option where I could pick and choose the actual channels I want to watch and only be charge for those channels. For example we don't want sports in our family but the package that we have makes us pay a fee because the sports channels make them pay a fee even though we never ever watch sports.

They have eliminated a lot of the channels; but yet the bill keeps going up higher. I am paying almost $150 for basic extended service. Basically that means I have basic service and music channels. That is all. No movie channels at all yet I am paying that much. I am not happy with them at all and at times the TV will freeze and the phone will lock up and you cannot call out or receive incoming calls. The service is terrible! Very poor for what channels and telephone service the cost is too much. TV will freeze up, the telephone locks up and incoming and outgoing calls you cannot make at times. I have Suddenlink which used to be Cox Cable here in Stillwater. You do not have any other choices since Cox no longer services here, and the other satellite stations you cannot get due to the area.

Many of the issues requiring cable support are generated by the cable company to begin with. Having said that once you get through, the support is ok. The service is generally good. The value of what you are paying for is not there because you cannot select what you want to pay for. The service is packaged. The reliability is generally good for the TV service. Internet is poor because the internet speeds keep changing. Allow customers to purchase only what they want. Do not play games with the internet speeds to try to get customers to purchase higher speed services.

In most cases they are able to repair service over the phone, but they are not proactive with providing discounted benefits when available. Service is pretty reliable. Occasionally telephone service requires the modem to be rebooted. Prices are constantly going up with no additional services provided. Cable box costs and "nickel and dime" costs for items such as remotes increase. They never offer incentives to stay with them. Their prices are not competitive vs other services offered in my area.

Sometimes I receive same day service. I enjoy mostly uninterrupted service and digital Hi Def. It seems every 6 months or so, my bill fees go up $5-$6/ mo. Very little interruption. I realize the cost of operations go up but perhaps if James Dolan didn't have to pay Carmelo Anthony $24.5 million this year and the Knicks didn't have a sub .500 team, my rates would be lower? I am seriously considering switching to DirecTV or Fios.

Non-caring attitude after a long wait on the phone. Generally non-communicative. Confined to a small number of viewing programs of any substance. Ads are nauseating and amount to rubbish most of the time. Their loss of so many customers of late seems to instill a better effort to become reliable. Living on a small island 650 miles east of Cape Hatteras has its challenges for a cable co., no doubt. Am exploring options as I speak.

I have the top cable service and pay top dollar. I use them for my phone and internet. My husband and I are seniors. We have a problem with our living room tv. The problem has persisted 2 years. Despite calls, visits and pleas the problem continues. They are coming tomorrow and have the gall to say we will be charged a tech fee if the tech feels the problem is our doing. I have no way of knowing if this so called tech is paid to get the fee.

When I voice my frustration to the company it is met with deaf ears. If I paid my bill the way they provide services they would take me to court. We work hard for our money and pay a lot. All I want is to be able to watch my tv when I want it. I am ready to change but as a tenant I am limited. I feel like a Cablevision hostage. Can't wait till tomorrow when yet another tech comes and the problem continues.

Cablevision Company Profile