1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 214 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cablevision

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

430 Cablevision Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We recently switched to Cablevision and got charged for $60 installation fee which was never been communicated to us 'till when we saw the bill. We called the customer service and they could not do anything to help. That's a terrible business fraud to charge customer without notice!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The bundle of channels and cost associated with Cablevision are very oppressive. The fees for equipment are constantly increasing. The incremental cost increase are never given advance notice and the customer service people are not very helpful in justifying the increases.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Cable selections is poor and everything you want costs extra. A converter box rents for $10 a month, up from $5. Total charges are over $200 with basic. They need more competition in CT.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

In March 2017, my family decided to change services from Verizon to Cablevision. We used Cablevision years ago, realized like it more and decided to return. At this time, Cablevision was offering a $250 Rewards Debit Card (which made the change even more attractive). I contacted Cablevision and ordered their Triple Play Deal, (which included internet, phone and television service), and in addition I would receive a $250 rewards debit card for signing up, after 90 days of continuous service. I paid for installation upfront as well. At this point I waited for the 90 days to pass.

In July I contacted Cablevision to inquire about the rewards card, when to expect it? At first, I was told by a CSR that since I was a little late with "a payment", I would not receive the gift card. At that point I asked to speak with a Supervisor who checked and told me that since my service was never disconnected and I doubled my payment, I would still receive the card. He assured me that he would add this note to my account. I know he noted this because of later conversations with CSRs.

I waited another month or so and contacted Cablevision again to check for a card DELIVERY DATE. This time the CSR told me that Cablevision had not expect so many customer responses, so it would take a little longer for the card maker to issue the card to me, but it should arrive soon, within a few more weeks. A few more weeks go by and it is around August. Cablevision CSR tells me this time to call the card issuing company to see if I could get a lead time. The American... company, (the reward card maker), first returned a message to my voicemail telling me - it would take up to 2 weeks for me to receive my card because they are behind in getting the cards ready to go out. They also messaged that I am still eligible and that the approval is in the Cablevision notes.

I contacted Cablevision again in September, was told to wait once again. At this point I am thinking, what is going on; who does a promotion like this and are not prepared to follow through? Do they not care about their company image or their promises to their customers? Are they waiting for me to forget... Today, October 4th I contacted Cablevision one more time and THIS TIME, a supervisor named Mark, told me I am no longer eligible for the rewards card. He says that my account was in collections, WHICH IS NOT TRUE, and my payments are actively up-to-date ever since the first "late" payment. This seems to be something the company is using to validate why they were first LATE WITH REWARD CARDS, which to me was a temporary problem and now making a reason for NOT SENDING ME THE $250 CARD AT ALL.

I would not have waited this long except Cablevision kept asking me to because the card maker was behind sending the cards out. I kept waiting the whole time and expecting the card in the mail, because they TOLD ME ALL THIS TIME I AM ELIGIBLE and they told me this until today. Today the CSR said the last time I called around September 27th they wrote in the notes I am no longer eligible. This stinks to the heavens. Something is wrong and so unfair. Cablevision promised me the reward and are having problems paying it out.

I would NEVER have anticipated and waited all this time if CABLEVISION were not telling me to. CABLEVISION kept telling me I am eligible - until today. They informed me today, Oct 4th, that they made the decision the last time I called (but did not tell me). CABLEVISION made this (re)decision on September 27th. When were they going to let me know they changed the rule? Any assistance you can give me and my family is appreciated. Thank you for lending your ear.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I had Service till 9-5-17. I returned all their equipment that day. My cycle of billing is the 1st to the 30th. I was told at return I would get a pro-rated bill for the 5 days. Found out today I have to pay the full month. I was told I could find this information on the back of my bill. Obviously the return center does not know of this policy. Can't believe I have to pay for 25 days and not even able to use the service. I disconnect each year we go south for the winter and have never had a problem. This has to be wrong. I should not have to pay for services I am not using. Maybe it is this new French Company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cablevision?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Their customer support is great, it used to be a bit better before the company was sold, but CS most important to me. I want to talk to people quickly.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Call to get install on July 31, a very nice tech came and install my services. He notice the signals were weak and call dispatch to have a field tech follow up and check the low signal. 3 hours later my services stop working. On one of my box it display “Err”. I call customer service. A tech was sent out. I was told the problem was from outside and that it was put down as an outage. Guess what today is the 25 of August and I still don't have service. I called customer service several times and they said tech were schedule to come and guess what they didn't show up and card it in as no answer in the home. I ask to get dispatch on the phone and spoke to a dispatcher name Jason who went above and beyond to help but in the end it was too late and dispatch could come, so I then decided to disconnected and spoke to a disconnect\retention rep who again try to help.

And since I didn't want the call to affect his productivity, I choose to hear him out. He said he would have tech out the next day which would be today August 25 between 2 and 5, but guess what no one came. I call dispatch again and this time I spoke to Michael, who said it was too late to have a tech come out. By this point I was very piss off to say the least and ask to speak to a dispatch supervisor. I got a guy name RADESH who was super unprofessional and rude and not to mention annoying. He said he would send an on call field tech, then I ask him for his location so when I complain I know who I spoke to and the location and he said he didn't have to disclose that information. This is when I decide I needed a new provider. I just called FIOS and was offer a great deal for 2 years and free installation. My appointment is scheduled for this Sunday. Thank you FIOS.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Recently in the never ending attempt to come up with additional charges a new $4.95 was put on for 'modem rental'. The 'notification' for this was you needed to view the full version of the bill - this is not what is displayed when you logon to the account. You can see the bill summary - the line detail for current charges but nowhere is there any notification that there is additional "important" billing change information that will impact rate(s).

They can get me any other notification for things to purchase or watch but a charge they want to slip in they do under the radar. Both representatives that I spoke to indicated that the notice was "on the bill" but could not understand with electronic billing you would not open the full PDF version unless there was some alert as to a reason. Overall Cablevision should be better regulated in their communications as in most cases consumers do not have any other options for receiving some form of stable/clear service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I returned my equipment, every time I call they said "call after 1 month." They never had final bill so on 8/14 I received the bill for $177. I call customer service I said "I receive the bill can I pay $100" and paid the balance later they said yes, 2 days after I receive a collection call from Cablevision. It's the worst company to deal and the service not good. There are thieves and lack of customer service.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have Optimum and have been a customer for over 20 years. I am moving and my billing period for the next month started 2 days ago. They are forcing me to pay for another month of services I will not be using. Is this legal? Why am I paying for a product I wont be using because I will not even be here. The next party moving into the same house is getting their own so Optimum will be getting 2 months of payment for one month of service (being the new people will pay for their own and I will pay for non-existing cable service what can I do?)

Original review: June 6, 2017

I disconnected the service in the middle of the cycle, and Cablevision threatened to charge me for the full cycle. Had to go through several hurdles to get to the manager. Cablevision stinks both literally and figuratively speaking.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I have been a Cablevision/Optimum customer for years and have had consistent issues with my service. I live in an old home that was completely gutted and renovated 5 years ago, every wire is new inside and out, yet I have issues with TV viewing quality and internet speeds trying to use my in home devices. I have called customer service, went through their "Live Chat" website feature, turned to Facebook for help, gone into the Wall retail location, and quite a few technicians have come but I am still not receiving quality service. For example, I have called to remove the phone line from my account numerous times and each time they have said I can't or went against what I asked and put me on a contract with it. I pay roughly $170 a month and can't watch a show on Netflix while going on an app on my phone that require wifi, neither will load and the only option is to switch off the wifi on my phone.

To watch a show on my iPad, more than once, I've had to hotspot the iPad from my iPhone to get a signal that was strong enough to buffer a show - this is ridiculous. Tonight was the last straw when I was told it would most likely cost me $80 for them to come and fix my service or I could pay $6.99/month for them to be able to come out whenever. Their service is that bad they are now offering protection plans?! In my other home I had Xfinity and was only here for brief periods and would fight them when I had the time but now I'm transitioning to this home permanently and have had enough. They need to provide customers what they are paying for or credit my bill the way Comcast Xfinity does!

Original review: May 11, 2017

Today I received a letter from Cablevision saying they were terminating my account after 20 years because "you have contacted customer service an excessive number of times. While some of these calls have been to seemingly report service issues and discuss your monthly billing statement, you have repeatedly been uncooperative with our representative's offers and attempts to assist you over the telephone."

What they really mean is that I get angry when I am on hold for upwards of twenty minutes at a time, and when I question their bills. They accuse me of being abusive, which I categorically deny although I know I speak loudly at times because I am hearing-impaired, which I have explained to them ad nauseam. I cannot take days off of work to wait for a service tech who usually does not show up as scheduled, especially when they have to return two or three times to correct what they did wrong the first time.

My bills have gone up astronomically. I resent having to pay for a Sports Channel which I do not watch, and which they say is part of the "silver package." but charge for additionally. I feel like I'm going in circles when I speak with them. They also found a bill they say I missed paying that was months old, although I pay in full every month. If I miss a bill, why does it take them 5 months to say something? This company is out of control. There needs to be some oversight. I am a senior citizen who is hearing-impaired and losing my sight. The last thing I need is an argument from them.

Original review: April 18, 2017

We have over 100 accounts with Cablevision, an automated system called me to tell me we are past due $89 and they will shut off service in 7 days. I called and was on the phone for over an hour and Cablevision will not tell us what account is past due. I called from the number they called me on. I asked, "How can we pay a bill you are calling on if we don't have the account information." I spoke with 4 supervisors and they will not give us the account information that is past due other than tell us there is not one listed on the account so they can't give the information to anyone, not even the primary person who they call.

This place has such lousy customer service in general, but when trying to pay a bill. And if we want to pay it they still won't tell us what account it is. Their system is terrible and unacceptable. We are working on trying to cancel as many accounts as we can moving forward and switch to another service. Worst company I have ever dealt with without making a payment. Thank You.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Closing an account with this crap company made me pay $166.00 for only two days of service. Is it right? To pay this amount for two days for the reason that I switched companies? Shame to this company and hope more people will be aware of this ripoff, from a such a large company with NO BRAIN. Lost my business forever for $166.00 Hope they will lose more, until they die and close doors. If there will be SOME HELP I would like to know, or some advice how to proceed to get these company out of track. SHAME TO CABLEVISION!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I have only had basic TV with Cablevision for over 13 yrs. Every year the bill would go up along with the fees. I had never received a late fees until several months ago. I had went on vacation for 2 weeks and was late on a payment of $27.69 and incurred a $10 late fee. When I called to pay it, I was told my next bill was up and that I had also incurred another $10 late fee. They said I had a window of 30 days to pay without getting the late fee charge but because I was late with last month's bill, the 30 window was down to 20 days which was the date when I called to make the payment on the first bill. I never received notice that a $10 late fee would be charged. Never!

I finally got an antenna and my TV has more channels than with Cablevision. I contacted Cablevision to close my account. After verifying my name, address and telephone number, I was ask for the amount I paid on the last bill. I told them I did not remember. They refused to close my account because I did not provide the last payment I made to them. I called back and asked for billing who were able to tell me what I paid and was able to close my account. STUPID & RIDICULOUS! Cablevision are unprofessional and greedy. They don't give a ** about their customers. They just want the money. Thank God I won't use them anymore. Please find another provider. Don't trust Cablevision. They will "fee" you up the ass.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Cablevision has raised rates twice this year. I am constantly being hit with a tiling problem where the screen goes to what looks like tiles. Plus we are getting a notification of channel not available when we dvr. I called them up and unless it’s happening when they are on the phone they will do nothing. But by the time you get through the phone mail hell any issue is gone. So basically they do nothing. I can't wait for Verizon to come to Edison. I will drop kick Cablevision so fast. If I had a choice that was better I would use them. But this company bribes politicians to keep a lock on their territories.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

Cablevision just raised rate on boxes to $10 and no longer are remotes included in rate. So even after negotiating a new rate in July of 2016 for 1 year of $196 (before taxes), they decided to implement this to ALL customers. Claimed they "have no contracts." True but any agreement you make with them isn't valid either. This company is unethical. The FCC should be monitoring their activity. Many seniors depend on TV to get news and weather. They need phone especially if they don't have a cell. Plus need internet service. Right now we pay $220.00/mo, have no pay channels (basic TV), basic internet, phone/fax. We have no other options because Verizon doesn't provide service for our area and they know it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I just wanted to state that when I finally decided to move my service to FIOS, they decided to let me know that if I cancel just the few days into my billing cycle with them they would charge me for the full month anyway. They are LIARS or truly incompetent. One or the other. When I spoke with FIOS they stated that the industry Cannot bill for an entire month because it is illegal. They use scare tactics.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I disconnected my service which was the "Triple Play" on Dec. 20. 2016 and still have to pay for internet service UNTIL Jan. 7, 2017. I was given a reprieve on the phone but not the internet which I don't want since I canceled the service. I don't think that the change the company did in October 2016 is legal to make customers pay for the complete billing cycle when the customers canceled service in the middle of the cycle. The company can raise rates and supposedly disregard the plan that the customer signed up for in the beginning and the customer has no say about it. I feel you should not have to pay for something you are not going to use.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I have been with Cablevision from when it was called something else. I can't tell you how upset I get with their never ending increases. This month, the box rental which they never charge before will go up from $7. to $10. per month. I have 3 TV's. My TV Will be increased. It is over $100, my Phone will be increased and my Internet will increase to over $50.00 per month. I am 80 years old and my wish would be if they would PLEASE bring back free TV. Looks like I will be over $200. per month for movies that are constantly repeated. TOTALLY INSANE.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I watch channel 88. This past year it has been coming in pixelated. Their answer is to send a guy for "maybe" 80.00. My biggest bill is Optimum. I can't afford the maintenance agreement or the 80.00 additional to the ridiculous amount I spend now. I'm 83 and I don't drive, walk or talk very well anymore. I pay for 2 boxes just shy of 200.00 (will be over after the increase) per month. No movie channels, no rewind, no HD, no on demand nothing but channel 88. They treat me very poorly. I don't know what to do.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I recently signed up for Optimum Online 200. I was told when I signed up the cost for the service would be $64.95 per month. I was told there would also be a one-time installation charge of $60.00. I told Optimum I had my own cable modem and didn't need the installation service. I said I could just plug in my modem then provide MAC address over the phone to register. I know plenty of other people who done the same thing. The sales rep said an installer had to come no matter what. I told him I would not be interested in the service if I had to pay $60 for the installation. His solution was to pay for the first month and installation cost up front.

After the installation, I would be credit the $60 back. I should have known here that this would be a problem. Either I should have recorded the conversation or made sure I got it in writing. I took the Optimum rep for his word, "I hope you do not make the same mistake." Long story short, I called multiple times since and I never received the $60 back as of today. The customer service reps I spoke with said there was nothing that they could do. They said I would need to talk to the original sales rep.

Every time I called, he was never in, and they could only email him to inform him to call me back. However, after repeated attempts, he never called me back. I am extremely frustrated after being lied to. The sales rep wanted the sale and lied to get it done. I am still trying to get the money back and have since had someone help me escalate the issue. However, I do not feel confident anything will come of it. I think my last solution would be to try and dispute the charge.

I did have some other smaller issues as well. Optimum is still charging me a modem fee after telling them I had my own from the start. They said I would receive a refund after the modem was installed (plugged in) by their tech. It never happened. I did call recently and was told I would receive a credit. I have not seen one as of yet. The final issue I had with them when I signed up originally they linked someone else's email to my account. I was receiving their Optimum emails with their personal info. It took multiple calls to get this resolved but finally did.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I am disgusted with Cablevision, and I am wondering why somebody isn't regulating them with all their hidden fees? The rental fee for a box was just raised to $10 a box plus tax, and the Sports Channel Surcharges just increased by $2.98 starting Dec. 2016. I have four boxes, so now I will be paying approximately $500 a year, including tax, to rent them. I have been with Cablevision for years, so they have cost me thousands of dollars. We have paid for them over and over again.

As far as the Sports Channel Surcharges, why should we have to pay this fee when we do not watch the Sports Channel? When is something going to be done about these hidden fees? It is just another way for them to profit at their customer’s expense. This new Cablevision company has raised all rates to a ridiculous amount. They have pushed people too far, and will ultimately lose customers for greed!!! Why shouldn't they have a cap on fees like everybody else, or why should we have to pay for boxes that we have already paid for? Disgusted Cablevision customer.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

10/14/16 – received a call from a family member that a notice from Cablevision (Optimum) was placed on the front door indicating that there was a signal leakage and to please call for service. Although the notice had a date of 10/16/16. I was out of town but called to scheduled service for Tuesday 10/18/16. Customer service told me that the technician would be to the house with a window of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. Ridiculous. They could not tighten the window.

10/18/16 – around 12:00 pm I called Cablevision to see if they could give me a better idea of when the Technician would be at my home. They said that they saw I called to schedule an appointment for 10/18/16, but was not put on the schedule. I asked if I could be put on and they said they would put me on the schedule, and the technician would be there by 8:00 pm that night. Around 7:00 pm I called to see when the technician would be at the house. I was told that the technician would be at my house by 7:30 pm. At 8:00 pm, I called because the technician was not at the house. They told me he should have been here by 7:30 and they were trying to find him. They then told me that the technician was not going to show up, and I had to reschedule. I blew up. But rescheduled for Saturday 10/22/16 and demanded that I be the first customer at 8:00 am.

10/22/16 – I was not the first customer because the technician did not show up at 8:00 am. I called Cablevision and they do not guarantee anything other than a window, which was 8:00 am – 11:00 am. I finally got them to tell me that the technician would be there by 10:00 am. Seeing is believing. Note: I did not even discuss what are they going to give me ($) since I waited home all day on 10/18/16 and the technician cancelled.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I am moving out of state and notified Cablevision that I will be returning my equipment and was informed that I am still liable for FULL payment of service for the billing cycle even though I am moving out of state??? My billing cycle ends on the 22nd but I am returning it on the 1st of the month and will not get a refund due to the fact that it is their policy as of August 2016 that they demand full payment of billing cycle even if you move out of state. Why should I pay for a service if I am not using it and disconnected??? I don't think that this is legal.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

The new On Demand menu is so tiny I can't read anything unless I get 2 feet in front of my TV. I guess they only thought about viewers who own 60" TVs and have perfect vision. My screen is 32 inches and I do wear glasses but I SHOULD be able to read what the heck is on the menu when I'm sitting only 10 feet away. In addition to this when I try to watch a movie On Demand it abruptly stops about 40 minutes in and will not resume. I've rebooted to no avail. Please fix this. Please make the writing big enough for the average person not Superman with X-ray vision.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

WARNING. OPTIMUM TRIES TO BLACKMAIL POTENTIAL NEW CUSTOMERS for previous bills not associated to them from their address. UNREPUTABLE COMPANY with unethical business practices. They discussed someone else's bill that previously lived at this address in detail even when I said multiple times it's not legal for them to do that and against the Federal Credit Billing Act. It is also against the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

To clarify, I was NOT living at this address when the services were supposedly rendered to this person. The house was destroyed in a hurricane and I came into possession after it was rebuilt. All of this information is personal and none of which I should have to be interrogated for by a customer service agent. They also wanted me to provide sensitive personal information when I ONLY wanted pricing before providing the information to me. A grievance will be filed with the Fair Trade Commission as well.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have been trying to cancel my sorry cable service since April. Why do optimum go on & on & on about how expensive it is to cancel the cable and the favorite line... I'M ON A PROMOTIONAL rate? The service sucks. IT'S TIME TO BOYCOTT THIS SERVICE. They show the same old movies 87% of the time. They are so outdated. When I complained stephon the optimum agent started going off about how much the service costs when he doesn't know my budget or my circumstances that rude punk. They still show Christmas movies in the SUMMER? I am sick of being ripped off by these disgusting cable companies who have become billionaires by stepping on little people. The sorry choices in BROOKLYN.

Original review: July 5, 2016

This Internet service is the worse in the metro area. Even if I upgrade to a 75 or 100, it is still very slow and bad, and sometimes it just cuts off. I called numerous times and they have switched modems but still a year later, same problem. I call customer service and the excuse they give me is that there is too much people in my area with the same service. Save your money and go to Verizon or anyone else, I used to have Verizon and their service was really fast. I am switching over. The prices for Optimum cable are very expensive also, I am paying $130 for Internet and phone, no TV. Not worth the headaches for the price.

Cablevision Company Information