1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 216 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

432 Cablevision Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have been trying to cancel my sorry cable service since April. Why do optimum go on & on & on about how expensive it is to cancel the cable and the favorite line... I'M ON A PROMOTIONAL rate? The service sucks. IT'S TIME TO BOYCOTT THIS SERVICE. They show the same old movies 87% of the time. They are so outdated. When I complained stephon the optimum agent started going off about how much the service costs when he doesn't know my budget or my circumstances that rude punk. They still show Christmas movies in the SUMMER? I am sick of being ripped off by these disgusting cable companies who have become billionaires by stepping on little people. The sorry choices in BROOKLYN.

Original review: July 5, 2016

This Internet service is the worse in the metro area. Even if I upgrade to a 75 or 100, it is still very slow and bad, and sometimes it just cuts off. I called numerous times and they have switched modems but still a year later, same problem. I call customer service and the excuse they give me is that there is too much people in my area with the same service. Save your money and go to Verizon or anyone else, I used to have Verizon and their service was really fast. I am switching over. The prices for Optimum cable are very expensive also, I am paying $130 for Internet and phone, no TV. Not worth the headaches for the price.

Original review: May 31, 2016

Poor hardware, poor software, poor customer service. Everything about Cablevision is slow, from the guide to the customer service. Cablevision nickel and dimes their customers and charges to update decade old equipment even if the problem is admittedly on their end. I have yet to speak to someone helpful in my 10 years as a customer. If another cable provider was available in my area I would jump at the chance to switch.

Original review: March 5, 2016

This company is very bad. When we call for customer service it takes forever to connect. We always have issues with the service. We are being charged extra every month, and when we call for disconnecting the service we are treated like third class citizens. I do not recommend the service of Cablevision to anybody. Please get any other service and avoid Cablevision due to the problems.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

It used to be excellent, especially in the internet department. However, in the past several months the agents I have spoken to were either not well informed or could not offer me solutions to the basic issues such as internet connection downtime or slow cable navigation. When the internet speed was 50 Mbps, I had nothing to complain about. Perhaps just the issues with the cable box (the navigation is very slow and sometimes it crashes). However, they downgraded me to 25 Mbps, and now internet service is intermittent with occasional down times they can't explain. Knowing that they are capable of providing me with 50 Mbps but consciously downsize me to 25, it looks pretty bad in comparison to other providers in my area.

Their services are still competitive, but not for the price... They have been increasing it a couple times a year for 7 years that we've been with them, and now it hit the level where the cost just doesn't match the value we receive. We are looking to cut the cable and/or switch to a different provider (most likely, Fios). Can't complain about their reliability.

Internet speed: I asked the agent why do they even offer 25 Mbps when Fios starts from 100 Mbps in our area (suburb of NYC). He gave me the lamest excuse: that there are "retired people" who don't need fast internet. It's 2016, and it's like saying that you don't need a gym membership, you can just walk with grocery bags more often. Besides, you shouldn't make assumptions about "retired people" or any other people, honestly. Fios doesn't. It's a matter of competition.

The price hikes. The industry has been like this for decades, but times change and this broken system just has to crash at some point. You have to reward the loyalty of your subscribers. It's fine to do a one time rate increase when "the promotional offer has expired". Perhaps, do price adjustments once in a few years, since inflation, etc. But several rate hikes a year? Are you actually challenging your customers to walk away to a competitor? If you increase the rates every year, it is a no-brainer. There remains only one true advantage that Cablevision has over other folks: the wireless hotspots that help to save on wireless bills. But just think what you are going to do when competitors catch up. Currently, from my perspective, all eggs are in one basket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cablevision?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Some of the representatives from the company are very hopeful. Many are completely unhelpful. Some of them don't even care if they ever have your business ever again. The quality of the service is relatively good. The Internet is kind of slow most days especially peak hours when it's very slow. The programming lately, it's very boring, redundant. Too much of the same old same old. They were on the same movies. They do reruns of the same shows. Most of the time I find myself skipping from channel to channel because are so many commercials in between or not watching television at all.

Some days we have good service but most days we don't have good service at all. Can't even get on the Internet. It will be great if there is an option where I could pick and choose the actual channels I want to watch and only be charge for those channels. For example we don't want sports in our family but the package that we have makes us pay a fee because the sports channels make them pay a fee even though we never ever watch sports.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

They have eliminated a lot of the channels; but yet the bill keeps going up higher. I am paying almost $150 for basic extended service. Basically that means I have basic service and music channels. That is all. No movie channels at all yet I am paying that much. I am not happy with them at all and at times the TV will freeze and the phone will lock up and you cannot call out or receive incoming calls. The service is terrible! Very poor for what channels and telephone service the cost is too much. TV will freeze up, the telephone locks up and incoming and outgoing calls you cannot make at times. I have Suddenlink which used to be Cox Cable here in Stillwater. You do not have any other choices since Cox no longer services here, and the other satellite stations you cannot get due to the area.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Many of the issues requiring cable support are generated by the cable company to begin with. Having said that once you get through, the support is ok. The service is generally good. The value of what you are paying for is not there because you cannot select what you want to pay for. The service is packaged. The reliability is generally good for the TV service. Internet is poor because the internet speeds keep changing. Allow customers to purchase only what they want. Do not play games with the internet speeds to try to get customers to purchase higher speed services.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

In most cases they are able to repair service over the phone, but they are not proactive with providing discounted benefits when available. Service is pretty reliable. Occasionally telephone service requires the modem to be rebooted. Prices are constantly going up with no additional services provided. Cable box costs and "nickel and dime" costs for items such as remotes increase. They never offer incentives to stay with them. Their prices are not competitive vs other services offered in my area.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Sometimes I receive same day service. I enjoy mostly uninterrupted service and digital Hi Def. It seems every 6 months or so, my bill fees go up $5-$6/ mo. Very little interruption. I realize the cost of operations go up but perhaps if James Dolan didn't have to pay Carmelo Anthony $24.5 million this year and the Knicks didn't have a sub .500 team, my rates would be lower? I am seriously considering switching to DirecTV or Fios.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Non-caring attitude after a long wait on the phone. Generally non-communicative. Confined to a small number of viewing programs of any substance. Ads are nauseating and amount to rubbish most of the time. Their loss of so many customers of late seems to instill a better effort to become reliable. Living on a small island 650 miles east of Cape Hatteras has its challenges for a cable co., no doubt. Am exploring options as I speak.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I have the top cable service and pay top dollar. I use them for my phone and internet. My husband and I are seniors. We have a problem with our living room tv. The problem has persisted 2 years. Despite calls, visits and pleas the problem continues. They are coming tomorrow and have the gall to say we will be charged a tech fee if the tech feels the problem is our doing. I have no way of knowing if this so called tech is paid to get the fee.

When I voice my frustration to the company it is met with deaf ears. If I paid my bill the way they provide services they would take me to court. We work hard for our money and pay a lot. All I want is to be able to watch my tv when I want it. I am ready to change but as a tenant I am limited. I feel like a Cablevision hostage. Can't wait till tomorrow when yet another tech comes and the problem continues.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

Cablevision added phone service to my monthly services in July of 2013. I had a conversation with customer support because my internet was slow and the TV kept losing signal. They offered to discount my service for 1 year. They did so, and after the year, my bill went up. What they did not tell me was that in order to get the discount, they added phone service to my account. I do not have a phone, nor did I want or need the phone service- and I told them that. They did it anyway. They have been billing me for phone service for the last 18 months (after the 'promotion' ended, at a rate of $19.95 per month).

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

I have had Cablevision/Optimum service for my small business computer for 8 years. I still have the original modem Cablevision installed. This month I started being charged $9.99/month for this same 8 year old modem that I have not been charged anything for in the past. A similar new modem sells for $45 at Walmart. We all know an 8 year old modem has zero value, so this charge is a ripoff & shows how Cablevision does not value its small business customers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I have Cablevision/Optimum service which includes Phone, TV, Internet. My cable bill is continually going up in price. I have the economy package which as of January 1st is increasing by $7. Currently my bill comes out to $165 per month which is ridiculous! That is without the $7 increase. I decide to just cut the TV service down to broadcast basic for $12.72, currently $88.03. Upon speaking Fernando with Cablevision, I was told that broadcast basic is not part of their triple play and if I choose that option my internet service would go from $49.95 to $59.95 and phone would go from $19.95 to $34.95! Basically I am being penalized for dropping to a basic TV service which I would still be paying Cablevision for! The channels I would be paying for are free channels no less that you can get with an antenna in NYC and surrounding areas.

These cable companies have a monopoly and basically have you by the balls! I have been a customer with Cablevision for about 13 years and when I started out they were wonderful. Now they don't give a ** about their customers as they know there are not many options for people. You have them or DirecTV. Their rates just keep going up and up. $7.56 per cable box per month that you need to operate the service is insane! A surcharge for sports and broadcast tv of $5.98 whether I watch sports or not! Cablevision is a big company that treats its customers like something on the bottom of their shoe and it is getting worse not better. Something needs to be done to bring competition to the cable companies so rates are competitive and people can make a choice that fits their needs. Right now Cablevision/Optimum just says to their customer "Bend over!" I'm disgusted!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

There is always a problem with my service. The guide is down, the screen is fussy. If you ask for someone to come out to correct the problem, they give you hours when you're at work. Not happy.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I have had Cablevision since 1992 - 23 yrs, and I never made the connection between my TVs breaking in my family room and the way Cablevision wired my home (it was built). I have a 24 yr old TV in my bedroom that has never broken. I've had a TV or two in my basement only replaced because I wanted to upgrade it. I have had five brand new TVs, different brands, that broke over the years. I never made a connection to the way the house was wired and the breakdown of my TVs. I'm disgusted, because the last TV broke in November 2014 and within six months the next brand new TV has double exposure and a fluttering screen. I tried replacing the box but to no avail.

That brand new TV worked fine in the basement but broke here. Normally the TV just blows and the picture goes and it can't be revived...this time it's the horrible fluttering picture. I'm truly disgusted. When the servicemen came out last year, there was one tech plus a trainee. I'm disturbed to find out these people don't even work for Cablevision and are contracted out. They didn't come in with booties covering their shoes like all other workers do which really bothered me because I have a sick child. The trainee wouldn't take off his sunglasses (it was a dark dreary day) and instead of watching the employee (after all isn't that what he's supposed to do - learn? ), he was looking around my home, picking up pictures, asking if that was my daughter, walking in other rooms, and just plain CREEPING ME OUT.)

They wanted to go into the bedroom where my daughter was because they said that's probably where the wiring ended up after looking all over my home, but she was sick, so I would not let them in there. They alluded to the fact that it was probably a cable wiring issue. I've been told that if it is a wiring issue, I would have to pay $59.95 if I don't buy a plan for $4.99/mo. At this point, Cablevision should be paying ME for all the TVs that broke because of their shoddy wiring!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

This internet is down or slow about 40% of the time. The customer service representatives are nice people but it does not matter given the fact that I have to call them and lose time trying to fix the problem. Most of the time the company sends an independent contractor to service the equipment, they just replace them with similar products and within a month or so the same problem reoccurred. Sure, they given me credit but it is an unreliable "service" - if it is not slow, it is down. It is my opinion that the equipment is just defective or mine have a fault that continues to break down.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

I've been a customer for almost 30 years. Seen the changes and worked through outages. Overall the service is good and stable. I think that for long time customers some bonuses should be given. Yes as with everything my bill crept up and up, so I made adjustments. I have a terrific package now of Cable TV, phone, and internet w/ WiFi across some of the Tri-State area. The technicians and phone support has improved to a very high standard. It's very rare now to run into a jaded support person.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

I spoke with a rep at Cablevision and asked for a better plan. I was told I would have to upgrade. They sent a letter stating they gave a $15 promotion, but it was for the same plan I already had. It was just too costly and I asked to downgrade. They pulled nearly every channel off for a mere $5 reduction. Now I am very limited as to what I can watch. I was then sent a survey which I responded to with a negative tone. I was called by one of their reps and she was trying to make me upgrade again. I said I would not do it. She claimed I was still under the promotion and technically I should still be paying more.

This company is one total rip off to the American people. It's a monopoly and I can't get any other service provider in this area. They have no options except for the packages they want YOU to have and are unwilling to let anyone choose what they want to watch. Now I'm stuck watching cartoon channels and the basic cable channels. How ridiculous can a company get and get away with it. I am more than angry and if I could would rate this company sub-zero! That's what I think of Cablevision. Get your act together people because we're not going to take it anymore. I bought a Roku instead and I'm not thrilled with the options, but if I have to I can pull the plug altogether.

This should not be happening in the USA! What happened to fair competition? I'm very unhappy and more than disillusioned with the way Cablevision handled this situation. They didn't even try to negotiate as they had in the past. The rep offered a 3 month plan to something which I can't even remember, but said she would pull it at the end of the 3 month period. I told her, "Don't even bother." This is outrageous and needs to be stopped. I would rather go back to watching a black and white TV with channels I could select (which were fewer) than see the garbage that I have to pay for on Cablevision. It is distasteful at best except for the few news stations I can still watch - and I do mean few channels. Pretty soon Cablevision will be asking people to pay for commercials and no content. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

Have been a prisoner of Optimum for two years since Cablevision/Optimum became an internet supplier monopoly in the Eastern Long Island area (Verizon used to compete but Cablevision have blocked them from doing so). There are alternatives to phone and TV, but internet is a monopoly... and I need internet for my work. I am so angry at this vile company that I would happily live without TV and give up my land line for a cell phone, but I 100% need internet for my work. Of course, 99% of people are in the same situation, which is why the crooks at Optimum worked so hard to get an internet monopoly. Other alternatives for internet service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I called two days prior to upgrading my package so that I could watch one show. The rep stated that I could add the package and cancel it the next day, but there would be a $4.99 charge to do it. Fine. When I called to cancel the upgraded service I got some rude rep who told me that my total bill would now be more money than it was less than 24 hours ago for the EXACT same service. I was pissed. I told him that I called two days prior and nobody told me that and he basically said he's sorry, but too bad. So I had to downgrade my service to a lesser package than what I had prior to this for the same price. The real issue is that in Edison, NJ Cablevision has a monopoly as there are no other alternatives for internet service. You can get a satellite for the TV, but there is no comparable service for the internet. I thought monopolies were illegal? I heard that Edison is blocking Verizon from competing in this market here.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

Today my telephone and internet was not working again (2nd time this week). I immediately called customer’s service at about 9:30 am and they tried to do a reset over the phone, which did not work. They said they would have someone come out to my place by 8 pm today. I called out of work because my mother lives here, and is sickly and needs the phone and cannot move around to accommodate the technician. The first call I received from the dispatch department was at 5 pm, stating someone was supposed to be here by 5 pm, however that technician is behind schedule but they will try to have someone here by 6 pm. I was still fine with that.

At about 6:03 pm I called the customer service department back stating some was supposed to be here by 6 pm and I haven't heard from anyone yet. The customer service Representative placed me on a brief hold and assured me they were sorry for any inconvenience but someone would definitely be there by 8 pm. She also stated she would credit my account $25. I'm still fine with that. As soon as I hung up with the phone with the representative, the same dispatch number called with a different person speaking this time, stated that no one would be coming to my place to fix the problem today. I told them I just hung up with a customer service rep and she assured me someone would be there. She said “Do you want to speak to my supervisor?” (As if she just did not want to deal with me.)

The supervisor came on the phone and said "I don't know why she told you that for because we don't have no one available for the job". He goes on stating that it doesn't show that I called or any notes were made to my account. He said I would have to reschedule for another day. I told him that I could not do that because I called out and could not keep calling out. He put me on a long hold saying he would keep trying to see if he could find someone to take the job. Of course he couldn't find anyone. I called back the customer service department stating I was very confused because the rep is saying some will come and the dispatch unit is stating no one is coming. She told me I would have to reschedule as well at this point. I reschedule for the next day. Hopefully someone will show up.

This experience makes me want to cancel my service because they are not treating customers fairly. If you cannot provide same day device you should not tell a customer you can and have them waiting home all day for nothing. Now I lose a whole day of pay for nothing And furthermore I have to pay for service that I cannot use. This is just unfair.

Original review: July 17, 2015

I am moving in a new home in CT. I needed an internet service. I called Cablevision. They asked the address, and how to spell my name; I gave them my address, but felt very uncomfortable providing the detail of my personal information, they hung up on me. I received a promotion letter from Cablevision, but when I called, they told me the promotion rate of internet service $29.95 was only good for web search and not good enough for watching Youtube movies, suggested I take a more expensive service $49.95 and there was also a installation charge. When I had more questions, his voice was loud, fast and impatient, showed: "Take it or leave it, we don't need you as our customer!"

He said: "There are only few companies provide internet service in the area, I don't think you have choices". I said: "Yes, I know there is also Frontier provides internet service". He said, "Then why don't you go there? Why are you calling us?" I asked him: "You are other companies' customer too, why do you use this attitude and tone to talk to a potential customer?" His answer: "You are not our customer!" I am angry about their monopoly attitude. I hope there are some other providers come in to share their business so they can change their business attitude. I need the internet service, but from their bad attitude, I just have no choice, I am going for Frontier.

Original review: July 16, 2015

I have been a Cablevision customer for over 20 years. In Edison NJ 08820 area, they have a virtual monopoly on high speed internet as none of the other majors [Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner] offer high speed services. Cablevision jacks up the price of internet only service to $59/mo yet it offers new customers who order their Triple Play (TV, Internet & Phone) for $89. It does not give ANY discounts to EXISTING customers no matter how loyal. The only option is to drop ALL Cablevision services for a while in which case you can qualify for new customer discounts. I see other providers like AT&T offering residential high speed internet services from $15 to $30 per month but they do not operate in 08820 zip code. WHY?

Original review: July 8, 2015

I got a letter today saying that my promotion was over and I was getting another rate increase.. BUT since there is yet another promotion they are only going to raise my rate $15.00. B...S... Cablevision uses the term "Promotion" as a way of making you feel they are doing you a favor and giving you a discount. When in reality, they wanted to raise my rate by $15.00 and try and make it look like they're doing me a favor. They tell me "well it was going to go higher (the rate increase) but since we have a promotion we're only going to raise it by $15." WHAT A SCAM.

Original review: June 27, 2015

I don't understand why do I pay for channels that's not English channel, but I still pay for them but can't enjoy them. That awful, money in the toilet!!

Original review: June 11, 2015

They used to be among the worst or maybe the worst cable company in our area (Westchester County, New York). Surprisingly, they are really the best now in terms of quality of service and price. Their customer service has become amazingly good. I can't believe I am writing a positive review for a cable company but I felt I have to inform people about this very positive change. I hope it stays like this.

Original review: June 4, 2015

I know how this company functions. They are clear with many of their policies, such as a prorate on the account, fees. However, they aren't friendly with so called misapplied payments. Instead of advising or giving a 24 hr notice of a believed misapplied payment, the company will do it without warning, and take it out of the consumer's account and transfer to the "correct" account. I believe that it shouldn't be done this way; while in the process of gathering my paperwork to prove to the company that they have mistakenly taken out an amount paid from my account and transferred to another account.

The company has left me with a month payment behind, leaving me with past due and and the recent bill. Before doing these types of "all of sudden" transactions, there is no warning. Not even a slight email or alert on the account, jack **. It pisses me off because this is not the form businesses should work. Besides the fact that they charge a lot, not decent charges or reasonable charges this company also doesn't look at the possible outcomes. This company truly, sincerely does not function properly.

Original review: May 19, 2015

I been with Cablevision for months now. All of a sudden I received a letter in the mail stating that I owe a balance from a address I never had. I called to explain asking the documents I need to send - it goes back to 2008. They won't accept tax return but will accept a print out from work - isn't it the same thing smh. Now they're still being difficult - 2 ids, 1 social sec. card and a printout later. They're horrible. My next move is to seek legal representation if this matter isn't resolved.

Cablevision Company Information