3.2/5 (107 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Stanley Steemer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?

Original review: April 8, 2022

I had Stanley Steemer return today to touch up a couple of spots that I felt were not cleaned well on their first visit. Today's tech educated me that lighter color carpeting is more difficult to get clean. Although all the other carpet is the same color all stains were removed on the first visit. He pretreated the two areas and waited a few minutes before cleaning the carpet. I am somewhat pleased with the results.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Water problem in basement. Came and set up fans, etc. Said it would be a low cost and not enough to turn into insurance. Technician didn't really have any info on the charge. Got a bill and way more than anticipated. Tried to call and get breakdown. No call back.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Had a oriental cleaned...still have spots on it, company never left a message or called back… I called Mari several times. I do not recommend their service…. I’m still waiting!! I contacted the main office again. I am still waiting.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Stanley Steemer cleaned my ductwork and did a fantastic job. They were thorough, and very professional. I will definitely call them again. I’ve also used their carpet cleaning services and received the same great results. You can’t go wrong hiring Stanley Steemer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I'm very disappointed by your services from the Stanley Steemer at the St Joseph MI location. Back in November, they did a horrible job cleaning my carpets, 5 locations done in 30 min. (2 rooms, 1 large loft, 1 hallway, 1 staircase) The carpets smelled horrible after they left. I called and voiced my concerns, they said they would send them back out to redo everything. I scheduled with them the next day, they never showed. I called and complained, I was told they were running 2 hours behind and they could come the next day from 1-5, so I agreed.

The next day I received a call 20 min before 5pm stating they wouldn't make it for another 2 hours and wanted to know if they should still come by. I told them know I have a previous scheduled engagement and that I would call their office. I called the office and asked to speak with the manager, I was told he was out sick. I explained what had happened and wanted to speak with someone in management about it, the lady told me she would have the manager call me the next week. No one every called me back. I called a couple more times and was blown off.

I went out and bought a carpet cleaning machine and was appalled from the dirt that came out of the carpets, after being professionally cleaned by Stanley Steemer. At that point I disputed the charge on my credit card. Weeks later I started receiving calls from someone named Mike at the St Joseph's office to see if they could rectify the situation. I would not allow them back into my home and would never recommend Stanley Steemer to anyone. This was an awful experience, and I would think Stanley Steemer would refund my money, especially since they dropped the ball and did not care until I disputed the charges. I have not put any bad comments out there for the public to see, but this will change now. I hope they are happy now, since the credit card company took their side and canceled my dispute.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

We have used Stanley Steemer for many years, and used to be satisfied with their work. But their employees seem to no longer take pride in their work. We scheduled them again last week--but unfortunately, we were not able to stand over them & watch the entire process -- which shouldn't have been necessary, & they wouldn't have liked that anyway. We trusted them to do what they came to do. However, soon after they left, I noticed that the carpet at the main entrance to the dining room looked no different than it did before!

I saw at least 6 or 7 small spots untouched -- plus that area just generally looked just as "soiled" as it had, since it is the most-used area that they were to clean. IF they did run the machine over that area, they couldn't possibly have used any cleaning chemical on it. So I spent a half-hour with a can of Chem-Dry, a brush, a bowl of water--and a lot of "elbow-grease" -- & got that area (about 5 square feet) looking somewhat like it should have when they left. All the spots were re-movable with Chem-Dry & a brush, & I did improve the general "soiled" look with 3 separate vigorous cleanings by hand--but my 3rd bowl of clean rinse--water was still dirty after that 3rd round!

The other entrance to the dining room also still had a "dull" (soiled) look to it, making a fairly new gray carpet look rather beige. So I saw no evidence that they used anything but plain water anywhere. There were a couple of places where we could tell that they had indeed run the machine across (water streaks), but obviously not with the intention of actually cleaning anything. There is no excuse for this, & we will not be using them again. We had a similar experience a couple of years ago, & that time we did ask them to come back to do that area "again"--which they did. But this is no longer a good company. They don't care whether they clean anything, & can't be trusted to do it.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

DO NOT use them! If you must, follow each foot step around your house. I had something taken from my home. Have left several messages with their corporate office to call me about the unprofessional displayed by the local sales manager when I called to inform him of this. It’s been almost 3 weeks, 6 messages later & no response from Stanley Steemer Corporate. No wonder management sucks on the lower level if upper management & the client relations department won’t even return any messages. I’m not giving up though. Will pursue this all the way through.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Wife ordered carpet cleaning before Thanksgiving. After doing the cleaning the two techs left my outside spigot on all night for 20 hours in 30 degree temperature. No response from management. Avoid.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Our service tech {Quinten} was Excellent. Very pleasant. Answer our question and let us know where he was starting. WILL ASK FOR HIM AGAIN. Hardworking Technician. Was Careful with all of our furniture. Thanks for your service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

This company scheduled quickly and showed up on time with a very pleasant and professional employee (Jeremy). My area rugs and stair runner were cleaned thoroughly and to my satisfaction! I would definitely recommend Stanley Steemer for this service and will use them again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I contacted Stanley Steemer in Orlando, FL. to clean an area rug in my parents’ house. I went with Stanley Steemer thinking that a national company would be trust worthy and reputable. My parents are older and have in-home care so a brand name seemed like the way to go. I was given a quote on-line based on the size rug (8 x 10) and services (clean and deodorize). I was called to confirm the appointment and I thought I had told them to contact me with any changes but Stanley Steemer (they claim to have reviewed the call and said I didn't say this, maybe I didn't) didn't call me. The technicians say they measured the rug and that it was larger than what I had stated on-line. They also said that it need protector. The rug is very old and there was no need to add protector which was why I did not included it in the o-line quote. My dad agreed to the service and the technicians charged for it. I have to assume that they actually did it but I have no way of knowing.

The total amount for the service was 1 and a 1/2 time more than the amount I was quoted on-line (it was also more than the value of the rug). By the time I found out about this the technicians had completed the service and left. I called Stanley Steemer thinking they that we could come to a amicable solution. I was told the area manager would get back to me by the end of the day. This did not happen. I called back the next morning and was told he was in the field. I said I would expect a call back within an hour. This did not happen.

When the area manager did call me back he was very firm in his position that his technicians were in the right and that this was the end of it. I was very angry and upset at the position he took. What it boiled down to for me was this, Stanley Steemer upsold my elderly parents on a service that was clearly not needed. They would not remove the charge from the bill and that is where it ended. I do not usually write reviews but the way the company treated old people was too much for me. I would not only not recommend Stanley Steemer, I would pay more to go to another company. I have already been told by the Orlando office that they will respond to my review and I encourage it. I would also encourage anyone who is considering using this company to think twice. This could have all been avoided if they had been willing to credit the $70 charge for the protector. #stanleysteemer #lessthanethical #anyothercarpetcleaner

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I scheduled a cleaning for two upholstered chairs, an ottoman and a rug. The chairs were not cleaned. There was hair and debris under the chair pads. The entire room had water on the floor. The techs left dirty water in the toilet. A piece of wood was knocked off of a cabinet. I reached out and after several attempts to get return calls, I was able to reschedule the cleaning for a day that I had taken off from work. I was told that the cleaners would arrive between 8 and 12. At 8:38 I got a call saying that there was a shortage in cleaners and I would need to reschedule. I will find a more competent and reliable company to clean my furniture and rugs. Very poor service.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

SS was scheduled to clean house between noon & 5 pm. At 4:45 on they had not come or called. I called SS. A lady told me they were still scheduled to come. She put me on hold. Came back online & said they would be here by 8 pm. Why wouldn't someone have called us, we had to call them to get the bad news. We decided to cancel.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I see all the negative reviews about Stanley Steemer on this site, so I thought I'd give them a kudos. I live in Dallas, GA and called them out yesterday. I have old carpet in my apartment, Mgt would not clean it, so I made an appt with Stanley Steemer. Came out same day, on time, technician was very nice and knowledgeable, great job, decent price! I am pleased, and now can breathe a lot better, musty smell gone!

Original review: July 29, 2021

I recently requested a cleaning for a sectional and carpet. I specifically told the agent I wanted the same service I had in January. She was very polite and I was quoted a price of 138 after discount. I requested a morning window, but they gave me an afternoon window from 12-5. The technicians show up at 5:32. They quoted me a price of 238. I told them I was already quoted a price of 138 after discount. They said, sorry. I cancelled the service. I called and spoke with the supervisor (Rex) who acknowledged a mistake was made by the representative. He would relay my concerns to the local office.. A whole day wasted. I (was) a repeat customer. I’ll buy my own damn machine and clean it myself. I will never ever recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Updated on 07/31/2021: In June 2021 hired Stanley Steemer, Kalamazoo, MI Franchise; duct cleaning. Major issues. Proposed resolution was inadequate and response was condescending, boilerplate. Even wrote President of Corporation, still waiting. Their corporate website states, "Trying to cause the least amount of problems to customers." Does unresponsiveness promote that statement? In my opinion a declaration of "I'm sorry you're unsatified with our proposed solution" is unresponsive to a complaint. A customer complains because there is a problem and the customer is asking for a quick and equitable resolution. Problems occur and how a company reacts to resolve those problems are, as if not more, reveling to how they value their customer base. How they choose to conduct their business.

Is a business only concerned about that first fast buck regardless of how their processes fail to back up that revenue? Or do they grow with each complaint and promote better standards and quality of service? A quick, equitable response to each problem expresses that a company cares and values the customer relationship AND the quality of service they promote. The company should go above and beyond to quickly, equitably resolve that complaint when real issues present themselves in that cutomer service relationship.

It's often said, "Complaints should be viewed as compliments." It's a tool to improve and develop strong customer base, return customers. Innovation, new processes, better Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) standards all can improve with each successful complaint resolution. Customer complaints that are handled quickly can even turn into loyal customers and strong brand advocates.

Customers are not seasoned negotiators. They can be emotional, angry and stubborn. How companies respond to each customer complaint determines how willing they are to resolve the that specific problem and retain that customer. Some problems caused by companies require more equitable solutions. Is the company willing to exceed expectations? Are they willing to deliver a better quality of customer service in their complaint resolution toolbox? In my experience with Stanley Steemer... I'm still waiting.

Original Review: Met with salesman who described process. Techs cut a hole in furnace, to catch debris in ducts. Then remove vent covers in each room insert blow tube with a whirly whip that will loosen and blow debris down to furnace where it will be caught and removed. Techs are highly skilled and trained, no worries. Your 777 sq ft house with easy access to vent covers will be done in an hour to one and 1/2.

Not what happened. Highly skilled tech chose to stay in the basement and drilled over 20 holes in my duct system. It seems they decided to drill a hole about at every corner, bend and/or every 2ft. One hole they forgot to plug and it took them 2 hours to vandalize my duct system. Met with salesman to discuss how Stanley Steemer was going to work with me to equitably resolve issue. Still waiting. Oh I forgot to mention the coating of dust and debris they left all over the basement: floor, sewing machine, ironing board, toys etc. You tell me, is this how you want to spend $400?

Original review: May 20, 2021

I had Stanley Steemer clean my carpet and they bleached it in spots and would not take responsibility for this damage. I contacted them and they turned it over to their insurance who do absolutely nothing. Now I have to replace the carpet because Stanley Steemer burned it.

Original review: April 21, 2021

This was the worst service I have ever come across. Not only was my order incomplete, but they took my rug outside to clean, with instructions to keep rolled up for 24 hours. After speaking with 3 customer service reps, I was told to unroll it to dry. My wool rug was soaked, covered in dirt, leaves and mulch. A manager callback takes 48 hours, and no service technicians were available to tell me how to dry it in the mean time. I would not recommend this company for insufficient service, management and lack of knowledge staff/representatives.

Original review: March 29, 2021

We are preparing to sell a home in Fairmont WV; we hired SS out of Buckhannon WV. Although we have our own Bissel Carpet Cleaner; we were consumed with last minute activities to prep the house for sale and THOUGHT SS could perform a service for us. The men were prompt in their arrival, very courteous, and professional. The house was totally empty, i.e., no furniture was in any of the 8 rooms. We pointed out 5 specific areas that needed extra cleaning; a service their manager said could be provided.

The result is like they were never in the house. Home security cameras showed they wand sprayed the carpet; but never any special treatment to the areas we pointed out. Bottom-line, we are going back over the 5 areas (and eventually the entire 2,500 square foot house). After a few passes over the 5 areas we specifically asked for special treatment, we have removed several gallons of black, dirty water (we have videos to show the areas before and after we personally treated the carpet).

Our cost to SS was $350 plus a nice tip. Our cost to personally repeat the process is less than $15 of Bissel Deep Cleaning solution and a few hours of our personal labor. SS offered to send someone back to address the initial cleaning; we simply elected not to have them waste our time. Not sure if it is the equipment, the chemicals, or technique, but I would NEVER recommend SS!

Original review: March 9, 2021

We were quoted $243.06 for two rooms, one living room, and two sets of staircases. When the crew came, they charged us $331.64 for additional steps on the staircases (which we didn't have) and for getting rid of the odor (which I clearly refused services twice over the phone), which is 36% more than the quote. The company was super friendly when giving us the initial quote over the phone but it turns out to be such a rip-off. Tried to call back and the customer representative transferred me back and forth without being able to speak with anyone. Eventually, I got to talk with a manager. He was super rude over the phone and refused a refund for the difference and even threatened to send us to collection after I said I would dispute with the credit card company. We should have gone with another company. Will never ever use again.

Original review: March 2, 2021

On Feb. 24, 2021 I had Stanley Steamer to come into my home to clean my carpet, lo and behold they clean out my jewelry. I contact the owner. Offer to have the gentlemen to take a polygraph. She decline. I even offer to pay for the test and she still decline. Never will I used them again. I'm really applause by the help I'm getting from the owner. Just be careful with the guys you let in the home to say they cleaning the carpet, they dont just clean carpet. They also clean you out of other stuff too. One unhappy customer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I had a guest bathroom fully remodeled in February 2021. Because a large amount of tile was removed, there was a dusting on every ledge, shelf, piece of furniture in the house, as well as the floors. I called Stanley Steemer of Naples, FL because I thought steam & water would be the safest, most effective way to clean the floors throughout the house. I made a huge mistake. Before the appointment, I explained to their rep that I didn’t have a single rug or room with carpet that needed to be cleaned. Regardless, he scheduled the job without hesitation and 2 technicians came the very next day. I paid Stanley Steemer over $700 and their machines literally pulled the grout out of my floors and left scratches all over the new tiles, which had cost thousands of dollars.

2 of the 3 bedrooms had the flooring installed last November. The guest bathroom flooring was completed the week before the Stanley Steemer cleaning appointment. They were well aware of all of this, but proceeded anyway. The toilet was installed in the new guest bathroom the evening before Stanley Steemer came the next morning. The toilet had never even been used before and one of the technicians used it without asking for permission, which I understand is company policy. He did not flush his ** and left the seat up for me to discover after he left. That’s when I noticed all of the grout missing in the flooring and the scratches all over the tiles. I immediately left a review on their website.

A rep called and offered a 10% discount of $78. I told him that was not adequate and made multiple requests that a Stanley Steemer representative come see the damage for themselves. They refused, but did offer a discount of $100, which they have since rescinded. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. There are far superior cleaning service companies that have integrity. If Stanley Steemer had any integrity, they would have declined the job. Clearly, their machines are meant for carpet, not brand new porcelain tile flooring with grout. Shame on them for being greedy and taking a job they knowingly were not professionally qualified to do. Choose a company that values you, as their customer and the opportunity to do quality work. Do not choose Stanley Steemer.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I had an area cleaned it was picked up Dec. 9 2020 and delivered back Dec. 23, all the servicemen wore masks, but it would be appropriate for them to introduce themselves by name, not all did! (Especially since their faces are only partially visible behind the masks). I have used Stanley Steemer multiple times before and was happy with their services, but this time extremely disappointed, the carpet was poorly cleaned and there was hardly an improvement, they agreed to clean it a second time.

At this time it is still with them, I did not receive a date when it will be re-delivered back. Last but not least, when driving off, the driver drove at least 3 car length over the lawn area and sprinklers, even that there is a fully paved driveway. The Stanley Steemer webpage advertises cleaning for an area rug for $99, it ended up to cost $375. Your ad is misleading and for that kind of money I expected more and I am extremely disappointed in Stanley Steemer and not sure I will use them again. Samantha I spoke to was very helpful.

- Patrick

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

This company has a great reputation. I used them in California and now in GA. They are prompt, thorough with cleaning and most careful not to break anything. I have been extremely happy with their service. I would recommend them to do outstanding work from floors & furniture.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

We wanted our living room carpet, as well as a small hallway, cleaned. The techs were done within 10 minutes time - it takes me longer than that to simply vacuum the area. There is absolutely no difference in the carpet after the "cleaning." You can't clean a good-sized room in that little time and with that little effort. The pre-spray solution wasn't even given time to work. Waste of $150 plus the cost of our water. Never again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I paid extra for deodorizing but no scent could be detected. No booties worn as their paperwork stated. I bought a carpet cleaner and the water was muddy brown after they supposedly cleaned them. Money down the drain. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

We had Stanley Steemers come to clean our carpets and deep clean our tile throughout our whole house. They have ruined our tile, leaving several white lines, chunks of grout taken out and our kitchen cabinets have gouges in the moldings. They sent out another crew to look at the the floors, they took several photos as that crew could not believe how bad the floors were. Long story short, we are unable to get ahold of anyone from the franchise as they never return our calls. Spoke with corporate several times with absolutely NO resolution. They did charge us for a sealant that was never provided, all we are asking for is our money back. It has been about 3 months with still no response and a total runaround from corporate. I would NEVER use them again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Stanley Steemer does not honor their advertising promo codes. Corporate allows contractors to send out ads and promo codes yet doesnt hold them accountable for honoring those advertised prices. Very poor and dishonorable business practices. Corporate office danced around the complaint blaming the contractor. Yet contractor uses the Stanley Steemer name. I will send my business projects to another company who doesn't lie to the public... and I will pay them double!

Original review: July 31, 2020

The technicians who came to do my service told me I didn't need it but I needed something else more expensive. They left 10 minutes later and I complained to the manager and he said they would send another crew and would get the work done for me that I wanted. But the crew still had one of the same technicians and he was rude and lied to me. But when I complain to the manager, he was extremely rude with me as well. I will never work with this company again and I'm trying to get the charges removed from my bank.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I scheduled a carpet cleaning a week ago, confirmed the appointment and address yesterday. Today the scheduled appointment was between 8-1, at 2:00 I had not received a call and no technician arrived. I phoned the office to confirm someone was going to come, was placed on hold for 20 minutes when the representative returned to say someone would been there when the home they were working on was finished. I inquired how much longer, as they are already one hour behind the scheduled time. She says casually between 3:00-4:00. TERRIBLE customer service. I requested to reschedule. She tells me 5 days later, the following Tuesday. I declined if you have any other option. DO NOT USE THIS BUSINESS.

Stanley Steemer Company Information