1.36/5

Need fire and water damage restoration?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

110 Stanley Steemer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Stanley Steemer came to my house 2 weeks ago. When they left I ask the man what they use to clean the carpet with, he gave me a couple big names of cleaning solutions which I have never heard. Today I vacuumed and the carpet looked dirty (smelled like a wet dog), I used my carpet cleaner and recleaned my carpet and I was shocked at the dirty water it sucked up! You just can’t trust companies to do anything the way it should be. It’s all about how much they can charge for their services. I will never let them clean my carpet again!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Their service literally is a rip off! Floors pool worse now! They came out and did the basement and front room in about thirty minutes combined. The floor looks horrible. Two seemingly teenagers show up and they are nice but clearly in a hurry and your floors look the same or worse when they are done! Save your money! Mine were done by Stanley Steemer two days ago and now I have to pay a professional to come out! They literally SUCK! You call them and a fool and his money will soon part! Guess which one you are!

Get expert buying tips about Fire and Water Damage Restoration delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I booked a cleaning with this company in Pittsburgh and was quoted 105$. The technician arrived an hour early (7:30am). He then told me I was going to be charged $300. When I declined service I had to listen to a 10 minute sales pitch. So not happy!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Stanley Steemer of South Florida came to our home to “clean” the carpets. Apparently, we were the first customers that received service that day, as the crew came from Port St. Lucie. When the service technicians left the carpets were very wet; our socks were soaking wet. The crew consisted of Jerard **, and Alejandro **. Supposedly, Jerard was a water remediation specialist. Although we called the Stanley Steemer office to complain about the wet carpets (still wet 6 hours later) , we were told a crew would not be able to come back that day. Sadly, because of the water that collected on the window seat in our bedroom, our cat Em me, ruptured her bladder as she slipped and fell off the window seat.

Em had over $8,000 in surgeries and follow-up care, but because Em was a feline and not a human, Mike ** (PSL Stanley Steemer franchise owner/operator, **) did not feel his company was responsible and was unwilling to take ownership for Em me's medical care. Eventually, after a few phone calls, Mike ** came to our home to inspect our carpets. Mike admitted the carpet had several areas where Stanley Steemer applied cleaning concentrates that oxidized because they remained wet for too long a period and now they are permanently set. Mike said he would be willing, at no charge, to send a crew to the house whereby he would personally supervise the cleaning and emphasized he would get the carpets and stairs clean and really dry.

We decided to sue Stanley Steemer of South Florida for the costs of the damaged carpet and the veterinary bills, and their insurance company said they would settle the matter for $2,500. I even wrote a letter to the CEO of Stanley Steemer, Wesley C. Bates and he never responded; it appears he is not concerned about the reputation of his father's company.

Eventually, we dropped the suit as it was emotionally draining for myself and my wife; not to mention Stanley Steemer’s attorneys threatened to file sanctions against our attorney and ourselves. My advice is stay away from this company and remember you get what you pay for. Stanley Steemer is not the same company that my grandmother used to swear by, God rest her soul. I hope this will help prevent headaches and heartache for anyone considering Stanley Steemer of South Florida. It is a shame that a company can come into your home with complete disregard for your property and loved ones without any remorse or consequences for their actions.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Carpets have the same spots. Looks like it was never cleaned. Unprofessional kids cleaning them. Took only 45 minutes to clean two bedrooms, 2 stairways and entire basement plus the closets were not cleaned. Moving into a new move house. They offered to redo but now all my furniture and boxes were all over the house. Don't waste your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We are a camp and retreat center with heavy traffic volume on our carpets. We thought we'd have to replace carpet, but Stanley Steemer saved it! I think we have another five+ years of life. So pleased we can use resources on ministry vs. new carpet! Thanks, Stanley Steemer! Exceptional service, speedy response, great price.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

11.12.18 Wow! Bait and switch from Stanley Steamer! Last week I scheduled Stanley Steamer for first thing Monday morning. They said they would call first, NOT! When I scheduled they asked for specific measurements because I have all area rugs. Great! I measured all of them and gave them exact sizes! The Customer service quote was $302 for 6 area rugs and the stairs.

First thing Monday morning Darling ** and his assistant showed up and after a tour of the rugs told us that 2 of the rugs were estimates, not quotes. He then told us the price would be $526! $224 more! 2 rugs are 80% more than 4 rugs and the stairs. Poor darling Dewey and his assistant. We said, "Let’s talk to your supervisor!" Supervisor Justin tried to negate the impact of the incorrect quote and offered 10% discount on the upcharge. REALLY? Plus he had a bad attitude! Not the old Stanley Steamer. We sent them away.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have a puppy who has accidents in my living room. I was told by Stanley Steemer that if I paid extra, the smell would be neutralized. I had my carpet cleaned on a Saturday. I did not allow my puppy to go into the room until Wednesday. The puppy had an accidental within 10 minutes after I opened up the room. I was told by Stanley Steemer that I could pay to get another cleaning. They are a ripoff!!!! Do not use this service if you have pets. It is better to spend $20 and go to the supermarket for a carpet machine.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I scheduled an appointment for a hallway, powder room, and large living room carpet cleaning. I have used Stanley Steemer before and was lucky enough to get the same people who did last fall's cleaning. They showed up on time, did a great job and were very professional, as well as courteous and friendly. I will continue to use Stanley Steemer every year.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Although this company advertises $99 for three rooms of carpet cleaning, because my three rooms are not contiguous they would not honor that deal. They are deceptive and dishonest. Find someone else to clean your carpets and save yourself being SOLD.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We hired them to clean our stairs, closet, and 2 large rugs yesterday. One rug looked clean before they came and it looks the same. The other areas looks as though nothing has been done at all other than make everything very wet. 1 rug is off white and it now has stains it didn't even have before the cleaning! They were here for max one hour, even with furniture moves and adding protectant. The house is 2 years old. I don't think the fibers of the carpet have collapsed completely. There are only 2 adults in the house, very low traffic. I've never had service this bad before.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I wish I'd had read the reviews on this company before hiring them. I was better off renting a carpet cleaner from my local market. They charged me $276 to clean staircase and 5 rooms... with a 20% discount. When they were done I said the carpet still looks dirty especially the high traffic areas... The guy said, "It will look better when it dries." But it didn't so I called them and they sent two different guys back out and one of the guys asked me what was the problem. I said, "Look down." He then asked me how dirty was the carpet before getting it cleaned and if this was the first time I EVER had my carpet clean.

This guys had a real stank attitude. Now why would I have a CLEAN carpet cleaned? They're suppose to be the professionals taking folk's money, "I expect better and if you can't speak to me better then you need to leave" - he left. - Now I need to have my home fumigated to remove the stank his attitude left in my home in addition to having my carpet cleaned. I WILL NEVER EVER use this company again and when I find out what agency regulates them I will file a formal complaint.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I should have read reviews before, I guess an experience I share. They did a reasonable job on the carpets but the tile floors look much worse than before. They supposedly stripped, dyed grout. Even after cleaning floor again after cleaning up the grout dye, it is smeared with dark gray blotches all over it. I've got area rugs on it until I can scrub it myself. They sent me a survey and I said what a poor job they did. When asked if I wanted someone to call me about it I marked YES! Either I am going to have to have someone come out to do it right or try to do it myself.

Their main goal from the time they come through the door is to upsell you. I was asked to sign for a yearly cleaning before they even started! I said I'd wait and see how they did. No one has answered my calls and of course no one called following the survey. Before I attempt to make my floor look decent I am going to take pictures and submit to the BBB. Someone should be able to make these people perform the services they were contracted for.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Made an appt with Stanley Steemer to steam clean carpets in 2 bedrooms. The guys showed up on time which was the only plus to this appt. When I walked them through the 2 rooms I needed cleaned we discussed how they were going to move the furniture to clean underneath. Well they tell me they don't move the furniture or the bed, they clean around it. No wonder this company is inexpensive... they do only half the job. I asked them to leave. I NEEDED THE ENTIRE CARPET CLEANED.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I’ve never been so disappointed in a company. I needed the carpet cleaned in a large family room. The 2 guys “cleaned” a 500 square foot room in about 20 minutes. When I went in to check the cleaning job I saw that the carpet looked no different but now it was very wet. They had not cleaned under most of the furniture but had just cleaned around it. When I questioned them about the traffic area still being dirty I was told that they couldn’t get that clean. Then why would I call them to come out? That was my whole purpose for calling them out. NEVER again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had called Stanley Steemer for an urgent carpet cleaning, area not more than 600 sq.ft. I was quoted $175 which I accepted and scheduled for a next day appointment (from Union City, NJ). As I live in the suburb and the apartment is in Hoboken, I went there and waited for the scheduled appointment time between 12 and 3. I was surprised that no one had called or even confirmed the appointment to me on email. So I called their central number at 11:45 am to confirm if their guys would come as per confirmed to me by their service center the prior day there. I said yes... so I waited for 3 patient hours in an unfurnished apartment. At 2:45 I received a call saying that they were running late. Ammas would be there between 3:30 and 4:30. The late notice flipped me off and I canceled the appointment after wasting half a day. Totally irresponsible and unsympathetic service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I would give a negative if I could. I called SS in a panic since my dog came in the house smelling like skunk. Now my whole house smells. When I called, I first wanted to schedule carpet cleaning, then also wanted a quote on duct cleaning. I already had the carpet cleaning scheduled when I called to ask about duct cleaning. The girl on the phone said she would schedule someone to come out and give me an estimate and scheduled for the same day as the carpets. So when a gentleman from SS called to tell me they were on their way, I asked if it was the carpet cleaner or duct cleaning guy. He told me, "Oh the carpet guy can do that." I said, "Ok fine." When the cleaner came, he was at least honest and told me that the cleaning may make the skunk smell worse. So then I panicked and he said you should have the ducts done first due to dust, which makes sense.

So then I asked him for a quote on the duct cleaning and he did not ask how many registers I had, he only looked in my basement and gave me a range of $600-700. They set me up for the next day. I declined the carpet cleaning at this time. I wanted an actual amount, so I called the toll-free number and they still could not give me answer and said I would get an email, which I never got. They wanted $145 to clean my dryer vent. Ridiculous. I called them and told them to cancel everything. After I did this I saw they got a terrible review so I am glad I did not go with them. I called someone else and they gave me so much information. I guess that's what happens when you really are calling a call center for SS. The phone people don't have a clue what anything is. Will never recommend.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I received the money mailer and Stanley Steamer had a coupon for 3 rooms 99$. I called to set up a appointment and when they came they quoted me 200$. I handed him the coupon and he said, "We do not honor them. It was a glitch error in mailing room." 2 years later I'm still getting them so I turned them in to Better Business Bureau and waiting on a reply.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Technician came out and was pleasant, showed him the leather couch to clean. He completed the job and left. I found the seat cushions stacked, and the bottom one had two running stains on it. Called the local company (Pittsburgh). Three phone calls were not returned. When I finally got through the call center, I spoke with the quality control person, who was supposed to have called me. After I spoke with him and the local manager, several times I had to call them because they would not return my call. Their final solution was that the stains were there because the tech had taken photos. I was there prior to his cleaning and he never took photos. Still waiting to hear back from them about a refund of services. I have told many friends and coworkers about this experience. They dont call back and blame everything on the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If I could do negative star I would. I called yesterday, August 8, 2018 to get a estimate for my friend. She wanted to get her granddaughters carpets cleaned for her birthday. When I called, I spoke with Linda, and explained why I was calling. She got an attitude with me telling me that her granddaughter needs to call to schedule the appointment. I then explained that all I want is a quote. Linda was so rude with me and actually sighed several times. I asked her why she’s giving me attitude. I ended up hanging up on her. I will NEVER call Stanley Steemer again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

They arrived on time and was very quick with services, but the quality of cleaning was terrible. Tile looks great, but the grout is only slightly better than before. I showed the gentleman my test area that I cleaned by hand, and the difference in the grout that they have just cleaned, no comparison. He told me that they used the strongest cleaner that they have and that was the best they could do. I could have done better by hand, if I would have only had the time, which now I must take the time and clean by hand since I have all the furniture moved.

The tile next to the cabinets and walls did not even get touched and they still look exactly like they were before, dirty. For a professional cleaning, it is not up to standards. I think Stanley Steemer should stick to what they do best and that is carpets. It was really a waste of money to have Stanley Steemer clean my grout, which I will never do again and will not recommend to any friends or neighbors. Not a Satisfied Customer.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Stanley Steemer came and "cleaned" my wool carpets. They told me that it was too old (15 years) to do any good. Very little to help me. Dirty spots were left, which I consequently cleaned myself by hand - finding so much dirt left on the carpets by SS! My advice to you is: don't let these guys in your house.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We had our vents cleaned and we're pleased with the work, especially after showing us what they sucked out! However, they didn't move any furniture back, left some dirt and metal shavings, but more importantly broke some ceiling tiles and the wire holding the ceiling up. I wrote to them online and received no response. Very disappointed and will not recommend.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had my air ducts cleaned by Stanley Steemer and after they were done and gone I noticed that they never replaced or even checked my air filter!!! My filter was so plugged up and in really bad shape that air would barely flow thru it!! Thank God I was home and caught it, instead of my wife being home by herself. It was 90* out and my system was freezing up! How do you do a total air system cleaning and not change the filter!!?? I called them the next day and their story was different with every person that I talked to! I requested a manager come out and he did, but he just gave me an excuse that they don’t want you change your filter for at least 3 days after they have been there! I had an estimate 2 days prior to having the work done and in it, it says they will be replacing the air filter in the cost. It wasn’t done!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I recently had Stanley Steemer come and clean my vents. After they left I noticed white particles on my furniture every time the blowers were going. I called them to have them come out and fix the problem. They came out and redid my vents and assured me that there would be no problem again. That evening the white particles were back. I am very angry that I never had this problem until you came to clean my vents. Breathing these particles was causing me to be sick. Since the problem wasn’t taken care of I had to call another company. I was shown pictures of what was left in my vents (clearly you did nothing) and after he cleaned them properly, how they looked. I feel that Stanley Steemer took my money and did not do the job. I am very, very unhappy. I feel I should receive a partial refund for the job NOT done!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our insurance company, Liberty Mutual called Stanley Steemer when we had a leak in our kitchen to do the Water Remediation. The first day, Stanley Steemer sent out the manager and three very big, strapping young men (big men that looked like they worked out) and they spent an hour walking around our home taking pictures with their tablets?! (Why did the manager bring three big men with him just to take pictures?) The leak was from our dishwasher, which I had to point out to the manager AND give him pictures of it leaking, before he had me start the dishwasher to make it leak all over AGAIN just to prove it to him! The manager told me he would return the next day, no time given, to perform the task of removing the cabinets, countertop, dishwasher, sink, etc. to access the flooring to address the leak.

When the Stanley Steemer personnel arrived the next day, we were very surprised to see the manager accompanied not by the three tall, strong men that he had from the day before, but with only two very young men who were half the size of the previous men. Let me make this known: these younger men were very courteous, polite, and well mannered. I hold no ill-will toward these gentlemen.

The manager and the men dismantled our kitchen, (base cabinets involving the sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and the all-in-one piece countertop). During the demo process, the countertop and sink were removed and placed in the dining room, and the water-damaged cabinet and garbage disposal were left in our rock garden outside our house. Three other cabinets and the dishwasher were displaced from their original locations presumably for the manager to look for other water damage.

Once the demo was finished, the manager left leaving his crew behind and no further communication. We actually didn't know he left. While reviewing the demo results, we noticed our stainless steel refrigerator door was dented in several places and our garbage disposal was still left outside. We called the manager expressing our concerns about the damage and about when and who would put the kitchen back together, because at this point we didn't have surfaces for meal prep or a sink to work with. The manager requested pictures of the damaged refrigerator door several times upon his request. He said the company would replace the refrigerator door and HE would install it for us, but we asked for a licensed technician to install the door instead. We were concerned about Stanley Steemer replacing the door when they don’t employ appliance repair technicians.

We made several attempts to talk to the manager over the course of two months since mid-April regarding not only the refrigerator door and garbage disposal, but the condition of our kitchen, during which time our garbage disposal weathered the elements until the manager finally picked up the device to inspect it himself on May 29, 2018.

It is now June 19, 2018 and the manager calls to tell us he has our refrigerator door replacement and our garbage disposal was cleaned up. He did not intend to have a technician install the door, nor did he have arrangements made to put the kitchen back together. The manager told us since we had so many specifications about our refrigerator, he thought we had someone to install the door for us and went back on his word. The manager at Stanley Steemer said we were trying to get something for nothing, and hung up on us.

We then tried to reach out to the branch manager of the New Castle, Delaware branch, which is the manager’s home location. We left a detailed account with a customer service representative and our contact information. We have not heard back from the branch manager yet. We are writing this review as a testimonial so others do not find themselves in the same peril that we find ourselves in. If your insurance company says they are sending over Stanley Steemer, STOP THEM!!! And immediately request someone else! Thank you for reading this review.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The 2 men that came to clean my carpet were nice. I do not believe they used soap or anything other than water. I asked if they treated the stains in the den and was told yes. I was also told that the carpet would lighten as it dries. No stains came out -none. I was told I had to initial for each room that they cleaned. Very disappointed in this company. I would say do not use them. I filled out a survey that was sent to me and asked to be contacted by them but so far 10 days later nothing. Don't waste your money.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I made arrangements for my 90 year old Father-In-Law to have his carpets cleaned in New York. (I live in Pa.) It should be noted his wife of 69 years had just passed away this month, I told the 1-800 number what rooms needed to be cleaned and I gave them the $30,00 coupon off, told them to call me. I would be the contact due to hearing loss issues and gave them my email. The confirmation email had our agreed upon price $213.00. When Stanley Steamer staff called my cell to say they would be there in a few minutes.

I called my Father-In-Law to let him know what to expect from this company. When he called me that night after the carpets were done he was very upset. Said it was more than he expected. It was doubled to the tune of $517.00 Apparently the staff told him he should really get this extra services that he didn’t need nor did he understand. It was per room for each service. He said they never explained it was per room and when he asked for a copy of the bill they couldn’t provide that for him but instead had him sign a black box. (He had no idea what that was.) They completely set him up, encouraged him that it would really be better to do these extra services etc...

They took advantaged of a grieving widow and WWll Vet. Somebody that didn’t feel comfortable saying no to the services being offered. It makes me so sad that they saw an easy victim and took full advantage of him and convinced him he needed these additional services all to make money! Do not use this company unless you want to pay double what the initial quote is that you receive. Protect our Seniors. Avoid this company. I called for two days and got no satisfaction from any Managers and am still waiting for a call from their Claims Manager to resolve this issue. Buyer beware...

Original review: May 18, 2018

Justin came yesterday to my home in DC to give me an estimate for water damage. He and his co-worker entered my home and assessed the water damage. Upon completing the assessment, I asked him to send a copy of the assessment and price to my email address so I could review it, because it was on a tablet and I could not review it. He sent me a blank sheet of paper with the Stanley Steemer truck, my name address etc, but nothing with the cost, nothing describing what I would be paying for. He quoted me a cost, of $800+.

Without seeing what I am paying for and a contract, I refuse to let anyone start a job in my house. He promised verbally and by text he would send me a copy of the cost and work to be completed, however he was dishonest. He never sent me an estimate. Today (the next day) I called the company and was told they don't give anything in writing until the work is completed. Well, I would not use a company that wants you to trust them blindly. They could turn around and say we didn't include that, we didn't say that etc. then it's your word against their word. If a company refuse to give you the scope of work in writing beware. Move to another company. Also, when the employee is dishonest from the beginning, move to another company. I know he was not happy because I didn't let him began the work immediately, but I am not going to let him or anyone I don't know perform work in my home without seeing it in writing. Now I know never to use Stanley Steemer.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My recommendation for carpet cleaning? I recommend you don't use Stanley Steamer. I'm sorry to say they did a horrible job. Completely unsatisfactory. Not to mention that the carpeting is soaking wet. I had to take my shampooer and suction out 4 cups of dirty water. I could of gotten much more water out - but It's tedious. There were areas that were not cleaned, especially baseboards and around corners and behind doors. You could still see the outlines of dirt where furniture had been moved. After it dried, the dirt from foot traffic reappeared. I used Resolve to finish where they left off. There is no such thing as getting a bargain. You get what you pay for. I will never use them again.

Stanley Steemer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This experienced restoration and cleaning company, with services since 1947, has offices in 48 states. Though known more for their steam-cleaning equipment, they also handle residential and commercial water restoration services.

• On call 24/7: No matter when disaster strikes, you can contact a water removal and restoration specialist on their emergency hotline for advice over the phone of what to do before the crew arrives.

• Allergy certified: The company has endorsements from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, citing a 94-percent allergen-removal success rate.

• 15-minute response: The company promises that water removal and restoration experts will contact you with 15 minute of your call.

• Insurance assistance: One big help in getting life back to normal is that they can work directly with your insurance agent to speed up claim processing.

• Vehicle specialists: No other company is better equipped to handle damage or cleaning for the unique surfaces in cars, trucks, boats and RVs.

• Best for: Although they do not cover fire-damage recovery, this company is an effective business partner for rapid water-damage recovery and cleaning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs