Find a Fire and Water Damage Restoration partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Stanley Steemer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I scheduled a cleaning for two upholstered chairs, an ottoman and a rug. The chairs were not cleaned. There was hair and debris under the chair pads. The entire room had water on the floor. The techs left dirty water in the toilet. A piece of wood was knocked off of a cabinet. I reached out and after several attempts to get return calls, I was able to reschedule the cleaning for a day that I had taken off from work. I was told that the cleaners would arrive between 8 and 12. At 8:38 I got a call saying that there was a shortage in cleaners and I would need to reschedule. I will find a more competent and reliable company to clean my furniture and rugs. Very poor service.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

SS was scheduled to clean house between noon & 5 pm. At 4:45 on they had not come or called. I called SS. A lady told me they were still scheduled to come. She put me on hold. Came back online & said they would be here by 8 pm. Why wouldn't someone have called us, we had to call them to get the bad news. We decided to cancel.

Get buying tips about Fire and Water Damage Restoration delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I recently requested a cleaning for a sectional and carpet. I specifically told the agent I wanted the same service I had in January. She was very polite and I was quoted a price of 138 after discount. I requested a morning window, but they gave me an afternoon window from 12-5. The technicians show up at 5:32. They quoted me a price of 238. I told them I was already quoted a price of 138 after discount. They said, sorry. I cancelled the service. I called and spoke with the supervisor (Rex) who acknowledged a mistake was made by the representative. He would relay my concerns to the local office.. A whole day wasted. I (was) a repeat customer. I’ll buy my own damn machine and clean it myself. I will never ever recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Updated on 07/31/2021: In June 2021 hired Stanley Steemer, Kalamazoo, MI Franchise; duct cleaning. Major issues. Proposed resolution was inadequate and response was condescending, boilerplate. Even wrote President of Corporation, still waiting. Their corporate website states, "Trying to cause the least amount of problems to customers." Does unresponsiveness promote that statement? In my opinion a declaration of "I'm sorry you're unsatified with our proposed solution" is unresponsive to a complaint. A customer complains because there is a problem and the customer is asking for a quick and equitable resolution. Problems occur and how a company reacts to resolve those problems are, as if not more, reveling to how they value their customer base. How they choose to conduct their business.

Is a business only concerned about that first fast buck regardless of how their processes fail to back up that revenue? Or do they grow with each complaint and promote better standards and quality of service? A quick, equitable response to each problem expresses that a company cares and values the customer relationship AND the quality of service they promote. The company should go above and beyond to quickly, equitably resolve that complaint when real issues present themselves in that cutomer service relationship.

It's often said, "Complaints should be viewed as compliments." It's a tool to improve and develop strong customer base, return customers. Innovation, new processes, better Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) standards all can improve with each successful complaint resolution. Customer complaints that are handled quickly can even turn into loyal customers and strong brand advocates.

Customers are not seasoned negotiators. They can be emotional, angry and stubborn. How companies respond to each customer complaint determines how willing they are to resolve the that specific problem and retain that customer. Some problems caused by companies require more equitable solutions. Is the company willing to exceed expectations? Are they willing to deliver a better quality of customer service in their complaint resolution toolbox? In my experience with Stanley Steemer... I'm still waiting.

Original Review: Met with salesman who described process. Techs cut a hole in furnace, to catch debris in ducts. Then remove vent covers in each room insert blow tube with a whirly whip that will loosen and blow debris down to furnace where it will be caught and removed. Techs are highly skilled and trained, no worries. Your 777 sq ft house with easy access to vent covers will be done in an hour to one and 1/2.

Not what happened. Highly skilled tech chose to stay in the basement and drilled over 20 holes in my duct system. It seems they decided to drill a hole about at every corner, bend and/or every 2ft. One hole they forgot to plug and it took them 2 hours to vandalize my duct system. Met with salesman to discuss how Stanley Steemer was going to work with me to equitably resolve issue. Still waiting. Oh I forgot to mention the coating of dust and debris they left all over the basement: floor, sewing machine, ironing board, toys etc. You tell me, is this how you want to spend $400?

Original review: May 20, 2021

I had Stanley Steemer clean my carpet and they bleached it in spots and would not take responsibility for this damage. I contacted them and they turned it over to their insurance who do absolutely nothing. Now I have to replace the carpet because Stanley Steemer burned it.

Original review: April 21, 2021

This was the worst service I have ever come across. Not only was my order incomplete, but they took my rug outside to clean, with instructions to keep rolled up for 24 hours. After speaking with 3 customer service reps, I was told to unroll it to dry. My wool rug was soaked, covered in dirt, leaves and mulch. A manager callback takes 48 hours, and no service technicians were available to tell me how to dry it in the mean time. I would not recommend this company for insufficient service, management and lack of knowledge staff/representatives.

Original review: March 29, 2021

We are preparing to sell a home in Fairmont WV; we hired SS out of Buckhannon WV. Although we have our own Bissel Carpet Cleaner; we were consumed with last minute activities to prep the house for sale and THOUGHT SS could perform a service for us. The men were prompt in their arrival, very courteous, and professional. The house was totally empty, i.e., no furniture was in any of the 8 rooms. We pointed out 5 specific areas that needed extra cleaning; a service their manager said could be provided.

The result is like they were never in the house. Home security cameras showed they wand sprayed the carpet; but never any special treatment to the areas we pointed out. Bottom-line, we are going back over the 5 areas (and eventually the entire 2,500 square foot house). After a few passes over the 5 areas we specifically asked for special treatment, we have removed several gallons of black, dirty water (we have videos to show the areas before and after we personally treated the carpet).

Our cost to SS was $350 plus a nice tip. Our cost to personally repeat the process is less than $15 of Bissel Deep Cleaning solution and a few hours of our personal labor. SS offered to send someone back to address the initial cleaning; we simply elected not to have them waste our time. Not sure if it is the equipment, the chemicals, or technique, but I would NEVER recommend SS!

Original review: March 9, 2021

We were quoted $243.06 for two rooms, one living room, and two sets of staircases. When the crew came, they charged us $331.64 for additional steps on the staircases (which we didn't have) and for getting rid of the odor (which I clearly refused services twice over the phone), which is 36% more than the quote. The company was super friendly when giving us the initial quote over the phone but it turns out to be such a rip-off. Tried to call back and the customer representative transferred me back and forth without being able to speak with anyone. Eventually, I got to talk with a manager. He was super rude over the phone and refused a refund for the difference and even threatened to send us to collection after I said I would dispute with the credit card company. We should have gone with another company. Will never ever use again.

Original review: March 2, 2021

On Feb. 24, 2021 I had Stanley Steamer to come into my home to clean my carpet, lo and behold they clean out my jewelry. I contact the owner. Offer to have the gentlemen to take a polygraph. She decline. I even offer to pay for the test and she still decline. Never will I used them again. I'm really applause by the help I'm getting from the owner. Just be careful with the guys you let in the home to say they cleaning the carpet, they dont just clean carpet. They also clean you out of other stuff too. One unhappy customer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I had a guest bathroom fully remodeled in February 2021. Because a large amount of tile was removed, there was a dusting on every ledge, shelf, piece of furniture in the house, as well as the floors. I called Stanley Steemer of Naples, FL because I thought steam & water would be the safest, most effective way to clean the floors throughout the house. I made a huge mistake. Before the appointment, I explained to their rep that I didn’t have a single rug or room with carpet that needed to be cleaned. Regardless, he scheduled the job without hesitation and 2 technicians came the very next day. I paid Stanley Steemer over $700 and their machines literally pulled the grout out of my floors and left scratches all over the new tiles, which had cost thousands of dollars.

2 of the 3 bedrooms had the flooring installed last November. The guest bathroom flooring was completed the week before the Stanley Steemer cleaning appointment. They were well aware of all of this, but proceeded anyway. The toilet was installed in the new guest bathroom the evening before Stanley Steemer came the next morning. The toilet had never even been used before and one of the technicians used it without asking for permission, which I understand is company policy. He did not flush his ** and left the seat up for me to discover after he left. That’s when I noticed all of the grout missing in the flooring and the scratches all over the tiles. I immediately left a review on their website.

A rep called and offered a 10% discount of $78. I told him that was not adequate and made multiple requests that a Stanley Steemer representative come see the damage for themselves. They refused, but did offer a discount of $100, which they have since rescinded. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. There are far superior cleaning service companies that have integrity. If Stanley Steemer had any integrity, they would have declined the job. Clearly, their machines are meant for carpet, not brand new porcelain tile flooring with grout. Shame on them for being greedy and taking a job they knowingly were not professionally qualified to do. Choose a company that values you, as their customer and the opportunity to do quality work. Do not choose Stanley Steemer.

Stanley Steemer author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This experienced restoration and cleaning company, with services since 1947, has offices in 48 states. Though known more for their steam-cleaning equipment, they also handle residential and commercial water restoration services.

• On call 24/7: No matter when disaster strikes, you can contact a water removal and restoration specialist on their emergency hotline for advice over the phone of what to do before the crew arrives.

• Allergy certified: The company has endorsements from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, citing a 94-percent allergen-removal success rate.

• 15-minute response: The company promises that water removal and restoration experts will contact you with 15 minute of your call.

• Insurance assistance: One big help in getting life back to normal is that they can work directly with your insurance agent to speed up claim processing.

• Vehicle specialists: No other company is better equipped to handle damage or cleaning for the unique surfaces in cars, trucks, boats and RVs.

Stanley Steemer Company Information