1.31/5

Need fire and water damage restoration?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

118 Stanley Steemer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had a purple bracelet with hearts silver in September of 2018 in South Bend, IN. Two of the workers came - two ** men. I had back up to see what my SLOW??? Keep calling me. It threw me off and they stole my stuff. I called them - the office - no answer so I left a message and they still haven't called me back yet. My fiance got me that when I left the hospital for my condition and they stole my stuff. I will never call or suggest their service. So people be watchful of the workers. I would like it back or compensation of it but will never ask for their service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Stanley Steemer removed water out of basement. Charged me $897.71 for about 3 or maybe 4 hours of work. There was a charge of $500.00 for extra with no explanation. I asked what that was for but got no answer. I paid the bill even though I did not authorize calling these people. I could have refused to pay them for this service since the owner of the property was never contacted about a price for this service. (It was rental property.) I think I was rooked by them. I will never pay them a cent again and the renter has been apprised of this. I think they just added $500.00 to the bill and split the money.

Get expert buying tips about Fire and Water Damage Restoration delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They take advantage in my opinion of older people. I was quoted $149 and my wife was charged $400!!! She did add an area rug (12x10). I am contacting BBB and AARP to warn others. They had many charges that a normal person has no idea what they are talking about. Not to mention $10 surcharge which was not disclosed until the end. They said any tough stains was included in my initial quote yet they had many charges! Don't use them without a lawyer!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Scheduled carpet cleaning for our office on the 2nd floor. Two technicians came out to look at our office and review it before the crew arrived. Received a call saying that a crew with portable units is on their way out. Then one technician with the regular hose showed up and complained that he was alone and this could take over 3 hours. I called and expressed my concern with where the other crew is with the portable and this technician was alone. So they had him take everything back out of the office and the other team arrived, and to NOT be informed about this office. The portables need to be dumped at a restroom which is down at the end of the hall and used by other tenants. DO NOT use Stanley Steemer for your business in Las Vegas. Their lack of communication is just awful and a technician needs an attitude check.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Wow, I can't believe this company! They came out to clean my couch. It looks worse. They scrubbed it so hard, they messed the fabric up! They left my door open for 40 minutes, mind you it was 28 degrees outside. There was water all over my hardwood floors! They wanted to use my outside water faucet - hello it is winter and we shut the outside valves off! So this women tracks in my house with wet/snow boots and uses my sink. The worst yet is they looked like riffraff and had the music in the van in my driveway blaring! Seriously. How unprofessional!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I can not rate their work as I had none done. To explain, I made the appointment 3 weeks ago selecting the 1 to 4 pm slot. I called at 3 to check their ETA. I was told they were still on a job in Huntington. For those of you who do not know, Huntington encompasses a very large area. They would not tell me where they were. Only that I would get a text saying they were on their way. At 315 I got the text saying they were on the way. At 355 I called the office and told them not to bother. I did not want my floors (one wood, one tile) cleaned at night (daylight is less forgiving) and let's face it, by this point in the day, the technicians are going to sprint thru the job.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The gentleman who came to my house was very friendly and professional. However, he spent a total of 45 minutes in my house clean 3 large rooms and stairs. The carpet does not look clean and smells even filthier. What is worse is that it has a greasy residue and is still not dry. Even though I was upsold on the "deodorizer", my carpets smell like wet dog. I completely threw away $210. My Bissell ProHeat does a better job. I could not be more disgusted. I should have waited for the ZeroRez appointment to open up.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Do not hire this company to complete your tile work. This company takes no pride in their work and unfortunately have poor work ethic and inexperienced employees completing service calls. Problem resolution skillsets are clearly not their strong suit. My floor was left with a partial 5-inch band of dirt around the entire 25-foot room. Please do not waste your time on filling out satisfaction surveys or emails because even their employees will tell you they don't read or respond to them.

When I called the number at the urging of their staff who was here for another service they set a redo appt to fix the problem areas. When the rep came out he argued, called management and refused to fix the obvious blundered tile cleaning. He admitted that it was poorly cleaned when the original cleaning was completed but refused to fix. This is what the appointment was for to fix the problem issues that THEIR employees who were servicing my carpet told me to schedule.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Stanley Steemer came to my house 2 weeks ago. When they left I ask the man what they use to clean the carpet with, he gave me a couple big names of cleaning solutions which I have never heard. Today I vacuumed and the carpet looked dirty (smelled like a wet dog), I used my carpet cleaner and recleaned my carpet and I was shocked at the dirty water it sucked up! You just can’t trust companies to do anything the way it should be. It’s all about how much they can charge for their services. I will never let them clean my carpet again!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Their service literally is a rip off! Floors pool worse now! They came out and did the basement and front room in about thirty minutes combined. The floor looks horrible. Two seemingly teenagers show up and they are nice but clearly in a hurry and your floors look the same or worse when they are done! Save your money! Mine were done by Stanley Steemer two days ago and now I have to pay a professional to come out! They literally SUCK! You call them and a fool and his money will soon part! Guess which one you are!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I booked a cleaning with this company in Pittsburgh and was quoted 105$. The technician arrived an hour early (7:30am). He then told me I was going to be charged $300. When I declined service I had to listen to a 10 minute sales pitch. So not happy!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Stanley Steemer of South Florida came to our home to “clean” the carpets. Apparently, we were the first customers that received service that day, as the crew came from Port St. Lucie. When the service technicians left the carpets were very wet; our socks were soaking wet. The crew consisted of Jerard **, and Alejandro **. Supposedly, Jerard was a water remediation specialist. Although we called the Stanley Steemer office to complain about the wet carpets (still wet 6 hours later) , we were told a crew would not be able to come back that day. Sadly, because of the water that collected on the window seat in our bedroom, our cat Em me, ruptured her bladder as she slipped and fell off the window seat.

Em had over $8,000 in surgeries and follow-up care, but because Em was a feline and not a human, Mike ** (PSL Stanley Steemer franchise owner/operator, **) did not feel his company was responsible and was unwilling to take ownership for Em me's medical care. Eventually, after a few phone calls, Mike ** came to our home to inspect our carpets. Mike admitted the carpet had several areas where Stanley Steemer applied cleaning concentrates that oxidized because they remained wet for too long a period and now they are permanently set. Mike said he would be willing, at no charge, to send a crew to the house whereby he would personally supervise the cleaning and emphasized he would get the carpets and stairs clean and really dry.

We decided to sue Stanley Steemer of South Florida for the costs of the damaged carpet and the veterinary bills, and their insurance company said they would settle the matter for $2,500. I even wrote a letter to the CEO of Stanley Steemer, Wesley C. Bates and he never responded; it appears he is not concerned about the reputation of his father's company.

Eventually, we dropped the suit as it was emotionally draining for myself and my wife; not to mention Stanley Steemer’s attorneys threatened to file sanctions against our attorney and ourselves. My advice is stay away from this company and remember you get what you pay for. Stanley Steemer is not the same company that my grandmother used to swear by, God rest her soul. I hope this will help prevent headaches and heartache for anyone considering Stanley Steemer of South Florida. It is a shame that a company can come into your home with complete disregard for your property and loved ones without any remorse or consequences for their actions.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Carpets have the same spots. Looks like it was never cleaned. Unprofessional kids cleaning them. Took only 45 minutes to clean two bedrooms, 2 stairways and entire basement plus the closets were not cleaned. Moving into a new move house. They offered to redo but now all my furniture and boxes were all over the house. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We are a camp and retreat center with heavy traffic volume on our carpets. We thought we'd have to replace carpet, but Stanley Steemer saved it! I think we have another five+ years of life. So pleased we can use resources on ministry vs. new carpet! Thanks, Stanley Steemer! Exceptional service, speedy response, great price.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

11.12.18 Wow! Bait and switch from Stanley Steamer! Last week I scheduled Stanley Steamer for first thing Monday morning. They said they would call first, NOT! When I scheduled they asked for specific measurements because I have all area rugs. Great! I measured all of them and gave them exact sizes! The Customer service quote was $302 for 6 area rugs and the stairs.

First thing Monday morning Darling ** and his assistant showed up and after a tour of the rugs told us that 2 of the rugs were estimates, not quotes. He then told us the price would be $526! $224 more! 2 rugs are 80% more than 4 rugs and the stairs. Poor darling Dewey and his assistant. We said, "Let’s talk to your supervisor!" Supervisor Justin tried to negate the impact of the incorrect quote and offered 10% discount on the upcharge. REALLY? Plus he had a bad attitude! Not the old Stanley Steamer. We sent them away.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have a puppy who has accidents in my living room. I was told by Stanley Steemer that if I paid extra, the smell would be neutralized. I had my carpet cleaned on a Saturday. I did not allow my puppy to go into the room until Wednesday. The puppy had an accidental within 10 minutes after I opened up the room. I was told by Stanley Steemer that I could pay to get another cleaning. They are a ripoff!!!! Do not use this service if you have pets. It is better to spend $20 and go to the supermarket for a carpet machine.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I scheduled an appointment for a hallway, powder room, and large living room carpet cleaning. I have used Stanley Steemer before and was lucky enough to get the same people who did last fall's cleaning. They showed up on time, did a great job and were very professional, as well as courteous and friendly. I will continue to use Stanley Steemer every year.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Although this company advertises $99 for three rooms of carpet cleaning, because my three rooms are not contiguous they would not honor that deal. They are deceptive and dishonest. Find someone else to clean your carpets and save yourself being SOLD.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We hired them to clean our stairs, closet, and 2 large rugs yesterday. One rug looked clean before they came and it looks the same. The other areas looks as though nothing has been done at all other than make everything very wet. 1 rug is off white and it now has stains it didn't even have before the cleaning! They were here for max one hour, even with furniture moves and adding protectant. The house is 2 years old. I don't think the fibers of the carpet have collapsed completely. There are only 2 adults in the house, very low traffic. I've never had service this bad before.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I wish I'd had read the reviews on this company before hiring them. I was better off renting a carpet cleaner from my local market. They charged me $276 to clean staircase and 5 rooms... with a 20% discount. When they were done I said the carpet still looks dirty especially the high traffic areas... The guy said, "It will look better when it dries." But it didn't so I called them and they sent two different guys back out and one of the guys asked me what was the problem. I said, "Look down." He then asked me how dirty was the carpet before getting it cleaned and if this was the first time I EVER had my carpet clean.

This guys had a real stank attitude. Now why would I have a CLEAN carpet cleaned? They're suppose to be the professionals taking folk's money, "I expect better and if you can't speak to me better then you need to leave" - he left. - Now I need to have my home fumigated to remove the stank his attitude left in my home in addition to having my carpet cleaned. I WILL NEVER EVER use this company again and when I find out what agency regulates them I will file a formal complaint.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I should have read reviews before, I guess an experience I share. They did a reasonable job on the carpets but the tile floors look much worse than before. They supposedly stripped, dyed grout. Even after cleaning floor again after cleaning up the grout dye, it is smeared with dark gray blotches all over it. I've got area rugs on it until I can scrub it myself. They sent me a survey and I said what a poor job they did. When asked if I wanted someone to call me about it I marked YES! Either I am going to have to have someone come out to do it right or try to do it myself.

Their main goal from the time they come through the door is to upsell you. I was asked to sign for a yearly cleaning before they even started! I said I'd wait and see how they did. No one has answered my calls and of course no one called following the survey. Before I attempt to make my floor look decent I am going to take pictures and submit to the BBB. Someone should be able to make these people perform the services they were contracted for.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Made an appt with Stanley Steemer to steam clean carpets in 2 bedrooms. The guys showed up on time which was the only plus to this appt. When I walked them through the 2 rooms I needed cleaned we discussed how they were going to move the furniture to clean underneath. Well they tell me they don't move the furniture or the bed, they clean around it. No wonder this company is inexpensive... they do only half the job. I asked them to leave. I NEEDED THE ENTIRE CARPET CLEANED.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I’ve never been so disappointed in a company. I needed the carpet cleaned in a large family room. The 2 guys “cleaned” a 500 square foot room in about 20 minutes. When I went in to check the cleaning job I saw that the carpet looked no different but now it was very wet. They had not cleaned under most of the furniture but had just cleaned around it. When I questioned them about the traffic area still being dirty I was told that they couldn’t get that clean. Then why would I call them to come out? That was my whole purpose for calling them out. NEVER again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had called Stanley Steemer for an urgent carpet cleaning, area not more than 600 sq.ft. I was quoted $175 which I accepted and scheduled for a next day appointment (from Union City, NJ). As I live in the suburb and the apartment is in Hoboken, I went there and waited for the scheduled appointment time between 12 and 3. I was surprised that no one had called or even confirmed the appointment to me on email. So I called their central number at 11:45 am to confirm if their guys would come as per confirmed to me by their service center the prior day there. I said yes... so I waited for 3 patient hours in an unfurnished apartment. At 2:45 I received a call saying that they were running late. Ammas would be there between 3:30 and 4:30. The late notice flipped me off and I canceled the appointment after wasting half a day. Totally irresponsible and unsympathetic service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I would give a negative if I could. I called SS in a panic since my dog came in the house smelling like skunk. Now my whole house smells. When I called, I first wanted to schedule carpet cleaning, then also wanted a quote on duct cleaning. I already had the carpet cleaning scheduled when I called to ask about duct cleaning. The girl on the phone said she would schedule someone to come out and give me an estimate and scheduled for the same day as the carpets. So when a gentleman from SS called to tell me they were on their way, I asked if it was the carpet cleaner or duct cleaning guy. He told me, "Oh the carpet guy can do that." I said, "Ok fine." When the cleaner came, he was at least honest and told me that the cleaning may make the skunk smell worse. So then I panicked and he said you should have the ducts done first due to dust, which makes sense.

So then I asked him for a quote on the duct cleaning and he did not ask how many registers I had, he only looked in my basement and gave me a range of $600-700. They set me up for the next day. I declined the carpet cleaning at this time. I wanted an actual amount, so I called the toll-free number and they still could not give me answer and said I would get an email, which I never got. They wanted $145 to clean my dryer vent. Ridiculous. I called them and told them to cancel everything. After I did this I saw they got a terrible review so I am glad I did not go with them. I called someone else and they gave me so much information. I guess that's what happens when you really are calling a call center for SS. The phone people don't have a clue what anything is. Will never recommend.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I received the money mailer and Stanley Steamer had a coupon for 3 rooms 99$. I called to set up a appointment and when they came they quoted me 200$. I handed him the coupon and he said, "We do not honor them. It was a glitch error in mailing room." 2 years later I'm still getting them so I turned them in to Better Business Bureau and waiting on a reply.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Technician came out and was pleasant, showed him the leather couch to clean. He completed the job and left. I found the seat cushions stacked, and the bottom one had two running stains on it. Called the local company (Pittsburgh). Three phone calls were not returned. When I finally got through the call center, I spoke with the quality control person, who was supposed to have called me. After I spoke with him and the local manager, several times I had to call them because they would not return my call. Their final solution was that the stains were there because the tech had taken photos. I was there prior to his cleaning and he never took photos. Still waiting to hear back from them about a refund of services. I have told many friends and coworkers about this experience. They dont call back and blame everything on the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If I could do negative star I would. I called yesterday, August 8, 2018 to get a estimate for my friend. She wanted to get her granddaughters carpets cleaned for her birthday. When I called, I spoke with Linda, and explained why I was calling. She got an attitude with me telling me that her granddaughter needs to call to schedule the appointment. I then explained that all I want is a quote. Linda was so rude with me and actually sighed several times. I asked her why she’s giving me attitude. I ended up hanging up on her. I will NEVER call Stanley Steemer again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

They arrived on time and was very quick with services, but the quality of cleaning was terrible. Tile looks great, but the grout is only slightly better than before. I showed the gentleman my test area that I cleaned by hand, and the difference in the grout that they have just cleaned, no comparison. He told me that they used the strongest cleaner that they have and that was the best they could do. I could have done better by hand, if I would have only had the time, which now I must take the time and clean by hand since I have all the furniture moved.

The tile next to the cabinets and walls did not even get touched and they still look exactly like they were before, dirty. For a professional cleaning, it is not up to standards. I think Stanley Steemer should stick to what they do best and that is carpets. It was really a waste of money to have Stanley Steemer clean my grout, which I will never do again and will not recommend to any friends or neighbors. Not a Satisfied Customer.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Stanley Steemer came and "cleaned" my wool carpets. They told me that it was too old (15 years) to do any good. Very little to help me. Dirty spots were left, which I consequently cleaned myself by hand - finding so much dirt left on the carpets by SS! My advice to you is: don't let these guys in your house.

Stanley Steemer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This experienced restoration and cleaning company, with services since 1947, has offices in 48 states. Though known more for their steam-cleaning equipment, they also handle residential and commercial water restoration services.

• On call 24/7: No matter when disaster strikes, you can contact a water removal and restoration specialist on their emergency hotline for advice over the phone of what to do before the crew arrives.

• Allergy certified: The company has endorsements from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, citing a 94-percent allergen-removal success rate.

• 15-minute response: The company promises that water removal and restoration experts will contact you with 15 minute of your call.

• Insurance assistance: One big help in getting life back to normal is that they can work directly with your insurance agent to speed up claim processing.

• Vehicle specialists: No other company is better equipped to handle damage or cleaning for the unique surfaces in cars, trucks, boats and RVs.

• Best for: Although they do not cover fire-damage recovery, this company is an effective business partner for rapid water-damage recovery and cleaning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

OH
    (800) 783 3637
    www.stanleysteemer.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.