Stanley Steemer

Compare Fire and Water Damage Restoration

Research top Fire and Water Damage Restoration recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Came on time. Rushed job to steam clean tile and grout. $150 sealer was a spray bottle! 1/2 cleaned grout, now two colors beige and dirt. Quoted $520 charged $750. They need to redo. Tile looks ok but grout and spots look terrible. Left no receipt with my wife. You cannot call company direct. They route you to 800 number to protect local "franchise?". All very unprofessional for big bucks!

Totally not worth the money! I had 2 area rugs cleaned 8-12 and 5-7 inches. They charged $100.00 extra for deodorizer. I wanted the hard wood floor done also but they charged for one room and only did around area rugs. The floor looks dirtier than before! Rugs still smell! $420.00. Never again. Thanks for nothing. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

October 14, 2016 we had our carpets cleaned. One of the workmen stole a ring worth approximately $2000. A police report was filed and Stanley Steemer was notified of the theft. We have gotten nothing but the runaround from their representative named Mike. We urge that you do not use them as they are not trustworthy and do not stand behind their actions and will not repay you for the items they steal from you.

Appointment not kept - I was told to expect cleaners 2-6pm. I called at 5:30 and was told they were on the way. I called again at 6:30 and was told they were on their way. I called again at 7:15 and was told that the call was cancelled. This is outrageous.

Stanley Steemer. DO NOT USE. Had carpet and upholstery cleaned by Stanley Steemer. Didn't expect A++++++ service but I did expect some differences in my carpet and upholstery. Carpet looks the same and my beige upholstery couch looks the same. I just wasted my money. Tried to reach them the following day and left message with no luck. Terrible, terrible service.

In short, Stanley Steemer does a quick mediocre job. The first thing the employee kept looking at my art and decor in my home saying he loves my designs which made me uncomfortable. They quickly went through the rooms. They did not lift up any furniture and the carpets didn't look any better than if I did them myself. I would not recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stanley Steemer?

Water extraction - On February 28 2017, we had a terrible rainfall here in Chicago Illinois, it was to the point where my sump pump could not keep up with the amount of rain and the frozen ground, not taking in any water. On March 1st we called in our local Stanley Steemer, they gladly showed up with a water team. I was very surprised and happy that they seemed to understand my current situation. They showed up on my doorstep with a team of water extraction experts.

I was happy with the team, however, they mislead me when it came to the billing. Billing for a total of $5680.19! I was shocked, to say the least. I was told several times when asked how much that they would work it out through my insurance company. Never having been in this situation I did believe that they were working with my insurance company to come up with a solid figure. I was told all it would cost me out of pocket was $500.00. Which I gladly paid. I am sorry but when being told they would work it out with my insurance company, I naturally assumed that they would be working with my insurance on a set figure.

When asked several times, How much? I was told, we are not sure. I don't understand this, when everyone else seems to know, I am sure this was not a first time for the company. (I should have stopped the work at that point and thrown them out to the curb, but I trusted the company.) When the carpet was being ripped up and bagged I suggested that it was put on the curb for garbage pick-up which was free, I was told that don't worry that disposal of wet carpeting was part of the service. Well okay then, it should be part of the cost, not $495 extra, which I was billed.

I was billed for fans which did not make sense to me, for one bedroom which was the wetter of the two had only one fan while the dry room had three (both bedrooms are the same in size, minus 2 square feet), and a bathroom (a quarter of the space) that had two. Shouldn't fans be placed based on square footage? Not on where there was open space? Additionally, I was billed for fans that were not running, why? I certainly hope this is not the way you planned to do business.

I was billed for after-hours visit, which was not needed, it was the company's call to come out on the weekend, when all was good for a Friday afternoon. It was their call not mine. I feel that Stanley Steemer took complete advantage of my situation, and neglected to tell me what they already knew, the cost within reason. According to home advisor the cost should have been $600.00 to $3200.00 not $5680.19.

I live in a townhouse, not a mansion. The local company did lower the cost by $500 however that just is not right, when you consider it all. I am looking at a cost of only $4476.56 NOT INCLUDING MY CURRENT $500 payment. Therefore owing only $3943.56, once all is considered, (too many fans, not done by square footage, fans not running yet being billed, garbage costing, which would have been free, cost for detaching a vanity that wasn't attached to anything, etc.). $3943.56 should have been my total cost before my payment of the deductible of $500, leaving me with a payment of 3443.56.

When taking into consideration the following, two holes were punched in my walls (not drilled, damaged) door hardware was to be collected, (only half was collected), a piece of artwork was broken and swept up without a word by the team, and one room was said to be dry, yet was ripped apart. My son asked that the main carpet which was only wet be saved, it was not, (only a single area out of the entire space was ruined). The team did not hear or listen to me or the co-owner my 28-year old son, the customer, they did what they wanted, which cost me thousands. I kindly ask that you look into this matter, for I find it hard to believe that Stanley Steemer does business in this way. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

The technician doing the job was courteous and performed his job well. However, just going over the carpet once with the machine was not sufficient. I had a piece of leftover rug on part of my carpet. Considering that my carpet is only one year old, I feel that steam cleaning should have cleaned the uncovered carpet to match what had been covered. The carpet is in my bedroom, and gets very little traffic - and I had the path I normally walk on covered! I wish I had taken a "before" picture because it would have been identical to the "after" picture.

My carpet was pretty nasty. I called Stanley Steemer to see if they could get it cleaned if not I was going to replace it. Nick was honest saying it won't be perfect but it will look better. I was shocked when he got done. My carpet looks brand new. I would recommend Stanley Steemer.

Would never hire Stanley Steemer again. 2200 Sq foot home charged me 280 dollars to clean 7 areas and stairs. Was done in a half hour and only difference when they left was carpets were wet. Waste of money! Still covered in cat hair from previous owners.

Very disappointed. Not a very good job cleaning my carpet. The covers they have on their shoes are not water proof, so I should have charge for cleaning my stairs and floor. Please people don't ever call Stanley Steemer! They wouldn't move my Bed, Tv, just little stand. I had to move my furniture. Never, ever again. They don't respond to you at all. Not good company!!!

When I used the website to get a quote to clean 3 rooms of carpet and 2 rooms of tiles I got an estimate of $159. I called to make sure I'm not missing any hidden fees and was told by a representative the quote is accurate as long as the rooms are not bigger than 300 sq ft. My rooms are about 250 sq ft each! I was given a time window of 8am-1pm so I took the day off from work just to realize that this was all a big scam. The actual quote was $550. I was told that the quote of $159 is ONLY if the hose of the truck can reach the rooms (what a joke) so if you live in an apartment building or you have a big private house and the rooms are all the way in the back or the second floor and the hose from the truck can't reach the carpet, they will have to use a portable machine and in that case the MINIMUM quote is $200.

Regarding the tile cleaning: the quote is ACTUALLY $1.5 per sq ft so the two small rooms (kitchen and dining area) cost about $250 plus fees for using a portable machine all came out to $500. I think they give you a quote on their website and on the phone by their representatives which is completely a joke to make you invest the time waiting for them and push you to accept their offer. I have lost a day of work waiting for them just to realize this was just a big scam. The company has numerous bad reviews regarding this subject.

I had Stanley Steemer come to my residence in Wisconsin in November of 2016. I signed up for the estimate via their website and was quoted $3**.00. They came to my house to clean and protect my carpeting and I ended up signing up for the tile and grout cleaning as well in two bathrooms. They quoted me under $100.00 for the additional service. My final bill ended up being nearly $550.00. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in the cleanliness of my tile or carpet when they were finished. Highly dissatisfied. Would not recommend. Spend the money on scotchguard and your own shampooer. Do it yourself.

We called Stanley Steemer to clean our Grout/Tile. They arrived, tried to upgrade us and then finally attempted to clean. Where the grout already looked good it was improved a little, where it needed cleaning the most it did help a little. End result is it looks about the same as before the cleaning! I bought a 29.00 hand steamer and cleaned it to where it's even and very clean! They might do a good job on carpet but 180.00 of my money was absolutely wasted on their attempt to clean my grout!

What a scam. They did a real good job the first visit. Talked me into a year plan. 3 more visits for an additional 221.00 and so 4 months later I had them come back. What a ** job and the third visit they won't honor it. What a bunch of crap. Not happy at all.

First time I had ever used Stanley Steemer. While they were just about finishing up I watched the one young boy drag the carpet cleaning suction attachment across my hardwood floor and leave a 4-inch scratch right by my front door on my hardwood floor because he was too lazy to get a rag and wipe my floor dry. Then after they left I noticed all around the edges of my rug, the floor next to it was still soaking wet so I had to get a rag and wipe that up myself after paying them $130. Then I also noticed on my Hearth pad underneath my wood stove there was A3 foot wide puddle underneath my stove that I also had to clean up. Then to top it off I noticed a little spot on my rug so I started to scratch it with my fingernail and a bunch of dirt came to the surface and left an even bigger mark.

It was a high traffic area near my front door that he did not clean well at all and the edges were still very dirty after the carpet dried also in two different spots. Such a shame because I own a business and was going to use them to clean my entire showroom but after that experience I will never ever call them back. They did offer to send another crew out to clean up the dirty spots but if they could not do the job right the first time why am I going to take another day off of work to give them a chance to maybe get the job done right the second time? Not the way you run business at all.

I watched the Stanley Steemer video on the wonderful service they offer for cleaning the hardwood floors and tile. I made a appointment to clean two bathrooms on the website. I was quoted 99.00 dollars. They price per area not by sq ft or the size of the bathroom. When the young gentleman came to the house they said that the one large bathroom floors in the master bathroom needs to count as two bathrooms. My bathtub is a step up and then my ssid that is a separate area and it's going to be another $40.00. (Maybe 20 sq feet of tile around that.) Then if I wanted my tile counters done it was $75.00 (whao that's expensive). Then they said it a additional $40.00 for the second bathroom in the hallway. Ok. I said that was fine. I wanted the house to look nice before I listed it. Then they offered to wash the hardwood floors in the house. They gave me a price of $315.00 dollars.

They washed the house floors. My house is 1800 sq feet. My house is 15 years old and I had the floors refinished 3 years ago. When they were done they gave me a bill that was way higher than when we talked. They charged me an extra 100.00 dollars for the hardwood floors. I said "you can't do that. You can't raise the price after you gave a price especially without talking to me about it." The floor was wet when they left they said there were some spots that they can't remove or there are scratches. I mentioned that I was aware of the scratches. So the young man dropped the 100.00 dollars off the hardwood floor price. I paid on a iPad and tried to read the list of services. I paid and when I got my email receipt I noticed they charged me 75.00 to clean around my jacuzzi tub tile area not 40.00. So now to clean the floor in my bathroom it cost 175.00 dollars. What a rip off!

My total Speat was 551.00 dollars to wash the floors. You can hire a housekeeping service to hand scrub the floors for that much and the counter and shower. My house is totally empty because we are getting ready to list. So they had obstacles in the way. I got down on my hands and knees to clean the spots they said they could not clean. Dry juice and spills that showed up after the floors where dry. I was able to clean them up with a small rag and cleaner. Then I noticed all the dirt left behind from not vacuuming the floors properly. I got a nice pile of dirt. Don't call this company for anything. I have never had such dishonest people in my house. After I agreed to the super high price I expected a super clean floor you can eat off of. But it was not left clean. Crooks.

I decided to use Stanley Steemer for the first time. Initially, my experience with the phone rep was positive. I described the number of rooms, hallways, and stairs I needed cleaned. She gave me a quote and set up the appointment the next day. When the two gentlemen showed up the next day, they told me that the master room, the hallway, and the family room counted as two rooms and then muttered under his breath how he was unwilling to clean beneath the kids' toys in their rooms. He was very condescending and rude to me. He talked at me and over me. After the job was completed, my house was left with an awful odor and the carpets looked worse. I would never ever ever use or recommend Stanley Steemer to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

They were friendly and did a great job. The price was reasonable and they set up a time/day to come that was workable for me and I didn't have to wait long to get them over to work. I got the phone, set up a date and time that work for me within the next week. I didn't have to hassle with going to my calendar defined day and the time that they were available. The inspection today didn't take long either. It was quick and easy. We set it up. They came in. They did a thorough job and didn't take long at all. I would recommend them because they did such a great job at such a great price. It looked as if it did before.

From the moment I called them they put my mind at ease. They handled everything, made me feel comfortable, answered all my questions and were there for me and my family through the entire process. They came out the same. I called to go over the damage and give an estimate. They were able to start cleanup the very next day. We were very pleased. When they arrived they were completely professional and I was touched by their lack of compassion. Even though some things were completely ruined they handled everything with care and respect. They are true professionals. Price was lower than I had expected. I only had to pay a small deductible because our insurance covered most of it. But it still mattered to me that we were not overcharged.

It was awesome. At first I needed help with the item I ordered. Once I called them up they told me everything I needed to know and they were also super friendly to me! It can take some time at first to get in contact but after you do it's easy to get your problem fixed. I mean they're not the best at coming at the right time, sometimes they could come towards work hours. I got it rescheduled for my day off and they came and the installation was easy! The inspection of the house was easy, they didn't need anything from me, they just came around and looked! It was like I couldn't even notice them, but they told me my house was fine for installation and I'm glad I got this company. Bit pricey but is it worth it than other products? I guess, it was definitely one of the cheaper items but in the end it was worth it. Nothing wrong with this product at all, I love it and the price was definitely right for what it does for me!

Customer service was amazing! They were sympathetic to my situation. They were kind and understanding. They handled everything with such care. They were fast and cleaned up everything. The scheduling for my situation was immediate. Customer service was willing to work around my time constraints. They showed up on time consistently and stayed until work was done. Upon inspection after they were done I was amazed. Other than the things that were lost it looked fantastic like nothing had happened. My apt smelled fresh and clean and looked brand new. I felt the value was great. You can't put a price on coming home again to a clean fresh living space that was once ruined. I would highly recommend them to anyone who has had a tragedy.

When I called they were attentive and very helpful and I am glad I decided to use them. They met my needs right away and they were quick and thorough when it came to the job I needed done in my basement and garage after the flood. My scheduling experience was very easy and went well. I was able to set an appointment according to my schedule and they were great about it. The inspection process was great from the beginning. The guy that came out was nice and professional and he did a great and thorough job in my opinion. I feel like I received a very good value for the amount I paid. I did some price comparisons and they provided the best service for the best price.

It was treated with care and has an excellent outcome. It was a professional work done with utmost satisfaction. Great customer service as I was treated as family. I got my question answered on timely manner without having a frustrating experience. They were polite, had patience and understanding. They have a method of replacing damaged inventory and minimizing stock outages. They resolved any customer complaints in a timely manner. It was a good customer service where it was focused to ascertain need and supply in a courteous manner. They listen to the need of the customer to better create positive personal business relationship.

When I called them to come out to clean up some flood damage we got in our home, I was emotional and lost. The sales rep on the phone was so helpful and treated me like I was family that I had no doubt they would treat me good. I had called them in the AM for their services and figured it would be a 3-5 day wait for someone to come out to our home and clean up the flood damage. I was so surprised when the gal on the phone told me she had something later that day available. The guy that came to inspect the house was so nice and helpful. He was very easy going and did an excellent job looking everything over and telling us what he was going to do as well as what we may need to do on our end. The service was amazing. You would never be able to tell we ever had any water damage to the basement in our home. They did a great job even cleaning up after themselves when they were done.

I would recommend Stanley Steemer because they have great customer service and take care of their clients and locations responsibly and with integrity. They work around the schedules of busy people because they know that life goes on even if you are trying to fix a problem. The inspection process with Stanley Steemer is helpful and they are kind and courteous and caring during a stressful time in your life. They are respectful. They have a great value to their service without compromising anything for giving a reasonable price. The experience is great.

They responded quickly and was on the phone with them for a short time. They talked to me about their rates and what to expect from them. All of my questions were answered in a timely manner. From the day I called it was very soon after that it was arranged for them to come to my home. They had decent availability and were able to make my schedule work with little problem. They spent a lot of time inspecting the damage in my home. They arrived on time and were very thorough with their inspection. I felt like I could trust that they were looking out for my best interest rather than just rushing. They have good prices for their services. I was expecting a heftier price and was willing to pay a little more than I was charged. They didn't seem to be trying to rip me off but offered a competitive rate.

Have great customer service and always helpful. When I need to contact, they never any bad comments from them. Always nice and happy to me. Would call them anytime. Great scheduling from them. Were on time and got things done on time and did what they said. They are great to work with. No probs with them at all. Great inspection and did it fast and on time. Never missed anything. They were great. They found every prob there was and took care of it right away. Great value for the service. Did what they said on time and were great and helpful without any probs. Great workers and always on time. The best that there are.

I called and they came out the very next day. They took their time and cleaned up everything. Made the place look like nothing ever happened. I would definitely use them again. They explained what they had to do then went right to work and did a fine job. They came out, looked it over, gave a estimate that was very reasonable. I was very pleased at what they said and they came back the very next day. I would greatly tell everyone about them. I never thought that they could do the job that good.

I had Stanley Steemer come to clean three of our rooms. The crew was very professional and managed every very well. They were also very friendly to talk to. Scheduling was easy and simple. I didn't have any issues with trying to get an appointment set for cleaning the two rooms. The lady that answered the phone was very courteous and explained everything perfectly. During the inspection process, the crew that came to my house was very friendly and professional. Once they inspected the three rooms; they explained what would needed to be done and approximately how long it would take. The service was wonderful and well worth my money. I was very satisfied with the outcome and the experience overall. The company really exceeded all my expectations.

I have worked for Stanley Steemer in the late 80's-early 90's. I trust that I would get quality service from them. They cleaned the carpets in my home in the past. However, on 4-11-11, I called to schedule an appointment to have my carpet and tile cleaned at my home. I informed Mrs. ** that I had worked for her a long time ago and she informed me that it was their policy not to do business with former employees. Since they own the franchise rights in Pasco County, I can not have my carpets or tiles cleaned by Stanley Steemer because Mrs. ** refused service to my home. Now, I have to try to find someone who has a lesser brand and am not sure who I can trust.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This experienced restoration and cleaning company, with services since 1947, has offices in 48 states. Though known more for their steam-cleaning equipment, they also handle residential and commercial water restoration services.

• On call 24/7: No matter when disaster strikes, you can contact a water removal and restoration specialist on their emergency hotline for advice over the phone of what to do before the crew arrives.
  • Allergy certified: The company has endorsements from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, citing a 94-percent allergen-removal success rate.
  • 15-minute response: The company promises that water removal and restoration experts will contact you with 15 minute of your call.
  • Insurance assistance: One big help in getting life back to normal is that they can work directly with your insurance agent to speed up claim processing.
  • Vehicle specialists: No other company is better equipped to handle damage or cleaning for the unique surfaces in cars, trucks, boats and RVs.
  • Best for Although they do not cover fire-damage recovery, this company is an effective business partner for rapid water-damage recovery and cleaning.

Compare Fire and Water Damage Restoration