4.52/5
Based on 159 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SiteLock is a website security solution that offers complete, cloud-based website protection. From website scanning to malware removing, SiteLock offers a variety of products that will keep your website secure. Contact us today or visit our website to learn more about our services!

SiteLock Gallery (4)
A-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

176 SiteLock Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I was lucky to be connected to Crystal ** today. Crystal is a consummate professional who handled a tricky situation. (It had nothing to do with her.) Crystal is a great listener and she gets things done. I appreciated her help a great deal. She is a great representative of SiteLock's quality products and business services and she deserves all the credit that be given to her.

SiteLock response

Thank you Ben for joining the SiteLock family! We’re grateful for your customer loyalty and appreciate your business. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 20, 2018

They called the wrong number, then the call kept dropping. They repeated called back, even when we didn't answer. Just needed to update the credit card. We got a new card. I was trying to call back on a better line. They had the wrong info on file, even though we have changed it multiple times.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Great experience with SiteLock. They are a company I feel I can trust. There are many helpful representatives that give me confidence that their service is worthwhile. I appreciate how quick they were able to fix the website. Thanks for everything.

SiteLock response

Hi Daniel! Your awesome review made our day! We strive to deliver great customer experiences and we’re glad to know you’ve had a positive one.

Original review: April 19, 2018

James explained better than other people I had spoken to in the past. He helped resolve my issue very easily and I felt understood by him which is hard to find when speaking with customer service people. I ended feeling positive about SiteLock.

SiteLock response

Thank you Janelle for taking the time to leave a review. We enjoyed working with you just as much. Let us know if we can help with anything in the future!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Ms. ** quickly understood my problem and resolved it within minutes. She also followed up by communicating the necessary information to the SiteLock technical desk. The technical desk also completed their potions of the required tasks very promptly. I would recommend Ms. ** highly.

SiteLock response

Thank you Arthur for taking the time to leave a review. We enjoyed working with you just as much. Let us know if we can help with anything in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SiteLock?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Lou ** walked me through vulnerabilities on our site and suggested an upgrade for URL scanning as we had reached our limit. It was explained very well and am more than happy with him. Great work. I highly recommend SiteLock as our preferred website protection. We were infected over a year ago and touch wood, no issues since using SiteLock.

SiteLock response

Thank you Mark for joining the SiteLock family! We’re grateful for your customer loyalty and appreciate your business. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Customer increased Rating by 4 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2018

My website was hacked about 3 months ago. I signed up for Sitelock services as they promised me that they would clean my website from all malware and make sure that it wouldn't be back. They explained to me that the hackers had found a back door and they were going to repair all the files and make sure that they wouldn't find their way back in. They did clean my website and it was up and running well after about 48 hours. Their customer service reps and technical reps are very nice and sound very knowledgeable. Their service is not cheap at all but I thought that for $50 a month, I was now covered... 3 months later, I suddenly couldn't log in onto my admin panel. My access was "forbidden". I contacted them many times (as well as my website host) with no answers at all from Sitelock. No one contacted me back...

Fortunately, after about a week, I was finally able to log in but with no explanation. Three weeks after this first incident, the same thing happened again. When I called this time Sitelock (instead of contacting them online with no response) the rep told me it was probably a problem with my host server. After spending 1 hour with my host server, I was told it was something else. I contacted Sitelock again, this time to be told that my site had been hacked again: the first hackers had "reopened" the back door (that Sitelock was supposed to have found and closed) and this time wanted total control of my site.

They could remedy this if I pay $45 additional a month. I am totally in disbelief and refuse to pay this additional fee as I really think that this is their fault if I was attacked again. They didn't protect my website sufficiently as they promised they would. I am extremely unsatisfied at this point. I still cannot log into my website but I don't want to pay another dollar for a service they didn't render. In the meantime, I'm stuck and pissed off!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Concerns over the high cost of the Prevent plan were responded to with understanding and reasons why it is important to have that specific plan for my particular websites. My account rep was very gracious and respectful of my point of view and did all she could to help me resolve my concerns.

SiteLock response

Thank you Vicki for joining the SiteLock family! We’re grateful for your customer loyalty and appreciate your business. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This company told me it was 15.99 for a yearly subscription so I agreed - then when I checked my bank account it was actually $1599 - HUGE difference!!! Then I asked to switch to a monthly plan and they said I can cancel at any time and get a full refund. The scanner has been deleting ALL of my files, making my site disappear from online! When I called to cancel it they wanted $900.00!!! Total SCAM! They said "It was in your contract" but give you no time to read it and insist you sign it right away. Totally disgusted with their scanner/malware and even more disgusted with their deceitful business practices and customer service.

Updated on 04/21/2018: So after they didn't like my review of their terrible services they called me 4 times and said they were going to refund me my money and uninstall their lousy software - but they called me a liar, saying they never told me there was a 14-day money back guarantee. After I spoke with them - they decided to call me a liar again - saying they never said they were giving me my money back for the monthly service!! So, my original review stands and is now enhanced to include even more disappointment in their LACK OF ETHICS AND MORALS.

What kind of an idiot do they take me for? I have perfect hearing, ESPECIALLY when it comes to my money! I know what I heard and I know I was lied to TWICE now - and called a liar for "not hearing them". REALLY? How disgusting that companies who charge more than a decent website have the nerve and the audacity to insult an intelligent business person. Appalling. Downright disgraceful and so disappointing in the demonstration of today's business practices.

At least there are SOME honest companies who would never treat their clients so disgracefully. How dare you SiteLock! Beware of Crystal ** and Richelle ** who I quote: "I did not say I was refunding the difference on the call. You need to pay for the clean performed by the Security Analyst and that will cover it." Really Richelle, you want me to pay for your scanner deleting my entire website several times??? :O Shame on you!!!

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 13, 2018

These guys are the biggest scammers EVER. Their service came "free" with our Host Gator account and was supposed to "protect" our websites against malware. Once a week we get a new email claiming there is a "vulnerability" in our website. Call and get them on the phone and they talk you in circles in an effort to upsell you on additional services. The worst thing is it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to get off of their SPAM list. I email back, they will open a ticket, then reply that I have to contact my service provider to get them to stop.

Well guess what SiteLock and Host Gator, we have switched all of our websites to a different web host provider, and will warn as many people as possible to stay away from both companies. At the very least they should have an Unsubscribe option as is the LAW in this country have they never heard of the CAN SPAM ACT?!

Resolution response: April 16, 2018

Richelle **, Senior Account Manager contacted me. offered me a no contract plan at a lower rate. However, we decided to cancel and she very professional helped us with that without charging the $500 fee.

Original review: April 13, 2018

When we signed up for the add-on to our Bluehost site, I asked if we could cancel at any time, I was told that there was a year or 6-month contract. My client received a contract which had a renewal agreement in it unbeknownst to me. When I called to cancel the 1st time I was told that they would cancel after the term had ended otherwise I would receive a cancellation fee. But they renewed the account. When I learned of this I called and the service manager was very rude. Insisting I pay the cancellation fee of $500. I explained what had happened and she insisted they sent me an email and a phone call. But I found no evidence of either. I think they just scam you from the start. When I did notice some hacking on our site, I called them. They had no clue. So how can they say they're even protecting our site or justify the $500!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

Sitelock keeps flagging my site as containing malware when it does not. I've had to repeatedly go in and delete files in order to keep my site up. I suspect this is a new revenue stream for Blue Host. Every time I call I get a high pressure sales to buy their latest protection service.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 6, 2018

Being a programmer and web developer I am asked on a daily basis about SiteLock. After my own Site was hacked (PHISHING) I decided to get SiteLock on my own site. After I thought my site was set up with SiteLock guess what it was hacked again. I did not get any notifications from SiteLock whatsoever to let me know that there was malicious files on my server. The only way I knew I was hacked again is because my web host suspend my account. Looking at my files I see where I was hacked on 3/25/2018. FOR 3 DAYS TWO OR THREE SCANS and SITELOCK DID NOT PICK THIS UP???

After I got in contact with SiteLock about this they then told me "the FTP was set up automatically by the host via an API call when the services were added. It appears there was an error with the API on 03/28/2018 that kicked the settings out, however since the scan had already run for that day there was no email sent out to you telling you that there was an error" (Again I was Hacked on 3/25/2018 3 DAYS before). IF the API setting were changed why was I not notified by SiteLock by email? If you want to spend your money on a company that does not do their job then you have found them. I will not recommend them to any of my clients.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The company said they will remove my website malware and put my website back on the servers within 3 business and they charge me $300 on 3/23/18. On 3/29/18 my website still not been resolved and they said they lost my files. I call back asking refund since they could resolved the work, the billing department lady Briana ** said she have to charge $210 to cancel service agreement with Sitelock or, you'll be paying $70 a month until six months. The company model is to cause more problems and cheat from people like me. Therefore please STOP and walk away from Sitelock. Do not use unless they do work first before signing any documents or, written guarantee service.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I responded to your email letting me know I had vulnerabilities on my websites. After our conversation everything was taken care of to thwart those vulnerabilities with your premium firewall. David was very helpful in making me understand how the firewall will benefit me. Thank you!

SiteLock response

Thank you Sheldon for your kind words! We’re happy we could help and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: March 28, 2018

It appears their bot is scanning my site without permission. My site is continuously blocking their bot: smartscan04.sitelock.com from accessing multiple directories. It keeps trying for some strange reason and now it's being blocked. I would not recommend this as a security solution.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I contacted Sitelock (via Bluehost, my web host) in a panic as my WPress website had been hacked by a bot. David not only walked me through the entire process of finding out what had gone wrong, but stayed with me for hours (in between other calls) to get things on track. He also brought in Bluehost to work with us to streamline things when I got overwhelmed with the techy aspects. He is a gem and I would contact him any time directly to work with him again - his patience with me and knowledge but me at ease every time I felt all might be lost. Of course now you all are watching our site for us, so we can rest assured our clients can see us well... Thank you so much!

SiteLock response

Thank you Carolyn for joining the SiteLock family! We’re grateful for your customer loyalty and appreciate your business. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Original review: March 26, 2018

The SiteLock team cleaned the malware off our site quickly and got us back up and running in just a few hours. This was a critical issue for us as we take pizza orders on our site every night. We would have lost critical sales without our website.

SiteLock response
Welcome to the SiteLock family, Chris. Thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review!

Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we’re happy you’ve had a positive experience.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My salesperson, Marilyn **, was very knowledgeable, attentive, and helpful. I look forward to having a very secure website. My hosting company, Blue Host, recommends SiteLock and I have been very pleased with Blue Host.

SiteLock response

Thank you Siegfried for your kind words! We’re happy we could help and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: March 23, 2018

David ** was just amazing. He was so helpful. Throughout the process of learning about how SiteLock and Hostgator worked together - he listened to what I needed, and helped me get exactly that. He was very thorough in his explanations. His customer service and knowledge were stellar. I would highly recommend him. Please promote this guy! :-)

SiteLock response

Thank you Shawn for your kind words! We’re happy we could help and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I cannot say enough nice things about SiteLock. The service itself gives me peace of mind and the staff is amazing. David is courteous and knowledgeable. In a short time all the questions I had were quickly answered and the set up was painless. Wonderful company!

SiteLock response

Thanks for the great review, Wynonna! We work hard to exceed customers expectations, and we’re happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience. Stay secure!

Original review: March 6, 2018

My husband passed away last week and I needed to sort out the accounts/websites. James ** was very helpful in assisting me. He helped me twice - the 1st time advising what I needed to do with BlueHost and then implementing the changes required for what I/we needed going forward.

SiteLock response

Thank you Joan for taking the time to leave a review. We enjoyed working with you just as much. We are so sorry for your loss. Let us know if we can help with anything in the future!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 5, 2018 Sitelock pays ConsumerAffairs (this host) so be careful. I will be very surprised if this review ever appears... I received the following email from SiteLock:

"Because website security is important, your hosting provider has provided you with a complimentary scanner from SiteLock that proactively checks for malicious threats and vulnerabilities. This scan regularly reviews your website plugins, themes and content management system (CMS) for potential vulnerabilities. During a recent scan, a vulnerability was detected on your website.

For details on the findings, including the location of the vulnerability and remediation options, please contact SiteLock today. We would be happy to walk you through your dashboard and talk to you about next steps. Our security consultants are available 24/7 to answer your questions." I sent back an email saying: "Please provide the details and location." and got... nothing.

This is the second time BlueHost has "suggested" Sitelock. Previously, when I had a real problem, they refused to tell me what the problem was and insisted that I contact SiteLock, who offered to fix my problem if I paid them a monthly fee. From what I can find, SiteLock is owned or managed by EIG, who also own Bluehost, my (unfortunate) hosting company. Bottom line: This is a scam to sell additional services that are not required. There are no problems with any of my multiple WordPress sites. If you are installing WordPress, you need to also install a site checking plugin like Wordfence. Wordfence is free and will ensure that your WordPress site is not hacked.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I am very grateful to SiteLock in general, and James ** in particular for helping me secure a refund for my subscription which became superfluous when my client – Zest for Life, Inc - decided to go in another direction (they're pulling down the site). On March 1, I spoke to Giles after 6P EST – so after business hours here on the East Coast and he really went the extra mile for me, documenting the details of my case (and reasons for my needing to cancel the pre-paid 1 year agreement I set up for Zest4LIfeInc.com). He followed-up Mar 2 with a very fair and satisfactory resolution to this issue. I will continue to recommend Sitelock to anyone looking to website security tools, and I hope your company knows what a truly outstanding team member you have in Mr. James **.

SiteLock response
Welcome to the SiteLock family, Karen. Thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Awesome young lady that helped solve my problem and get problem solved. She was very efficient in changing my billing date to a more conducive time schedule. Thanks for the time and consideration to setting up future payment plan to help my bottom line. Otherwise I would not be able to afford these payments.

SiteLock response

Thank you Gary for your kind words! We’re happy we could help and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Ashlynn was amazing and friendly. Devin needs to be taught manners and respect by you. I wish you well and may the cosmic vibrations be with you. P.S. Please take a look at my calls on Tuesday 02/27/18. Devin was so nasty and rude.

SiteLock response

Thanks for the great review and comments, Giovanni! We work hard to exceed customers expectations, and we’re happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience. Stay secure!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Ashlynn ** is our Account Rep for Landman Akashian (a small law firm located in Boston, Worcester, Newburyport and Westborough Massachusetts). We have 2 websites hosted by GoDaddy - and since your relationship with them has changed - my SiteLock wasn't operating properly. I contacted you directly and Ashlynn has been awesome making things right again. It's rare to have such dedicated support - including quick response and follow up. I so appreciate your service! Thank you!

SiteLock response

Hi Lori! Your awesome review made our day! We strive to deliver great customer experiences and we’re glad to know you’ve had a positive one.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I was hesitant to take the call when account manager Rachel ** first called me to review my account, as I expected a sales call and an attempt to upgrade the account. I'm not a security expert, so I was worried things would come up in that sales call that I wouldn't understand. But Rachel assured me that it's not a sales call, and followed up with me to make sure I get the information.

On the call, she gave me multiple tips and guided me through the dashboard, to help me understand how to keep my website safe. While she did mention a potential upgrade opportunity, it didn't feel like a sale and she didn't try to pressure me. It was very clear she was primarily focused on providing me value. She was kind and professional, answered all my questions, and invited me to reach out to her if I ever have additional questions.

Later in the call, she transferred me to a representative called Jessie, who was also very kind and professional, and seemed happy to answer my questions. I really appreciate their call today, and your company's willingness to invest resources in quality customer service, and look forward to continue working with you. Thanks again!

SiteLock response

Hi Ayelet! Your awesome review made our day! We strive to deliver great customer experiences and we’re glad to know you’ve had a positive one.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 2, 2018

I am disappointed with the terms and conditions of the service agreement. While I believe that Sitelock offers a valuable service of protecting my website, I think the prices are higher than what can be obtained for a comparable service. I believe that is why Sitelock uses a contract to keep clients for a year, and needs a high penalty to keep them from leaving early. They might not be able to pay off the partner hosting companies for referring them. I think the practice does not focus on the true service of the client but the bottom line, so they lose the loyalty of the customer. I'm sure this won't continue as they either learn the lesson the hard way--that meeting needs is the goal. Any financial coercion required to maintain the relationship just shows the type of relationship they create.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I cannot begin to explain how much my rep helped me. I just lost my job and am having to make a new budget, on top of dissolving a website and business, and he helped me tremendously. I will keep coming back to SiteLock because of his service.

SiteLock response

Thank you Lizzy for your kind words! We’re happy we could help and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

SiteLock questions and answers

What problem is SiteLock trying to solve?
Over the last several years, cyber breaches have dominated news headlines. It is proven that the majority of businesses that have suffered a cyber-attack will be out of business by the following year. It’s not a matter of if it happens, but when. The problem is, most organizations are not prepared when it does. A large number of data breaches occur because a company’s website is not properly protected. Hackers find a way into websites through vulnerabilities, which allow hackers to take control of a website in many ways. These ways range from stealing customer data to shutting down your website completely. Once this happens, a company’s reputation and creditability is effectively destroyed. SiteLock is here to help prevent this from happening, and to ensure online businesses stay safe, accessible, and always making money.
What sets SiteLock apart from the competition?
The art of effective website security lies in a comprehensive, 360˚ approach. This means protection from the inside out as well as the outside in. Other security providers out there today merely offer one small piece of the security pie, like only offering malware scanning, but not malware removal, or only offering a website firewall, but no scanning solution. SiteLock has the technology to do it all, which is daily scanning with automatic malware removal, a managed PCI-certified web application firewall with a global CDN for a blazing fast website, advanced DDoS protection and an unrivaled 24/7 phone support staff. There is no security provider on the market today that offers the breadth and depth of what SiteLock provides.
What needs does SiteLock fulfill, and how does your company fulfill those needs better than your competition?
SiteLock’s comprehensive security suite provides all an organization would ever need for their website security. Organizations that may choose to employ a provider for one area of website security will likely need to find another company to address another needed area of protection. For example, one company will be needed for application scanning, yet another company is needed to provide a firewall solution. SiteLock is the only top of the line, one-stop-shop when it comes to your website security needs. And, we are here for you 24/7, when all other providers are sleeping.
How does SiteLock measure success?
Since SiteLock was launched in 2008, our business has grown substantially. Over the last year alone, we have seen explosive growth. To put things into perspective, in 2014, we were protecting over 1 million websites. Today, one year later, we currently protect over 5 million websites. Most importantly, we have been at the forefront of educating and assisting millions of website owners in understanding and confronting website security challenges and responsibilities.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the cybersecurity industry?
One of the most common misconceptions we see is that security professionals and executives in organizations falsely believe that they are fully protected. This is not always the case, just because an organization's network infrastructure may be protected, that does not mean their website is as well. Without the proper security plan in place, a security breach stemming from a website vulnerability could cause much more damage than executives and business owners may believe. Also, many business owners think that a data breach simply will never happen to them. The sad reality is that the cyber-attack bomb is ticking, it’s just a matter of when it will go off.
How has the cybersecurity industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
The cybersecurity industry is the fastest growing industry right now. The topic of cybersecurity is quickly becoming a board of directors level issue, meaning board members are spending a considerable amount of time discussing how to properly address the problem of hacking and cybersecurity. It’s an unfortunate reality, but cyberattacks are dramatically on the rise, with absolutely no slowdown in sight.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about SiteLock?
We wish consumers could see for themselves just how highly advanced our security products really are. SiteLock® Infinity™ is a state of the art malware and vulnerability remediation service with highly advanced, patent-pending technology that combines the deepest website scanning available with automatic malware removal, to a degree of accuracy and frequency that is truly unrivaled in the security industry. We have an enterprise-grade web application firewall offering unlimited DDoS protection, and fully customizable plans for organizations of all sizes.
Has SiteLock received any awards or recognition for its products or services?
SiteLock has received the HostingCon 2013 “Best Website Security” award as well as the 2014 Online Trust Alliance© “Online Trust Honor Roll” recognition.
How has SiteLock grown or evolved?
When SiteLock started in 2008, it was geared mainly towards offering website security to small businesses. Historically, website security was typically only accessible to large corporations that could handle the significant financial investment. With the growth of the online small business, SiteLock recognized the need to deliver website security technology and tools to support them. Fast-forward to 2015, SiteLock has now installed itself as a cornerstone of the small business market, having exclusive partnerships with the largest hosting providers out there, such as GoDaddy, Bluehost, HostGator, 1&1, Media Temple, Network Solutions and so many more. SiteLock has now expanded into supporting enterprise organizations with our robust, highly advanced and competitive product and pricing website security solutions.

SiteLock Company Information