2.58/5

131 Progressive Leasing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Found out that the items I am purchasing cost me 2,500 for 2 items and it was doubled the amount. I will never buy or deal with them again. Even the company I bought them from told me to deal with them and I won’t have any problem with them at all.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a tv that was approved through Progressive Leasing. I paid them for the 90 day buy out. Got the confirmation email, confirmation #. 4 months later they started charging my account again saying one of my payments didn't go through so the 90 day buy out didn't count. Luckily I had the emails still with all the confirmation #s. They had to pay to pay my bank back what they pulled and NSF charges and nonscheduled payment charges.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Long story short if you don’t opt for the 90-day buyout option they get you by doubling the cost of the initial purchase e.g. $50 item is now $100. I purchased through Big Lots. THEY DID NOT DISCLOSE the high interest rate nor did Progressive. It was not until I downloaded the app and read the terms, but it’s obviously too late. However the app does state that there is no interest. THIS IS A LIE.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been trying for 2 days to get a phone loan through them. They kept asking for documentation and I kept providing them the documentation they kept asking for. Every time I did they would ask for new documentation. They gave me the run around for 2 days making me go back and forth to my bank to get documentation. They should tell you all up front what they need!!!! I will never do business with them again!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

These people are crooks if you don't pay them off quickly. It cost me double after just one year of on time payments. It is insane the way these people can't get away with this. Jesse James robbed people all the time but he did it with a gun. These people do it by minimum payments. I paid them off in full when I realized what was going on, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Leasing?

Original review: April 7, 2019

Progressive Leasing mislead the public by saying you don't need credit but you do. I did not get approved because they said it could be cause of my credit after I verified my checking account and gave them a lot of personal info which I felt uncomfortable with. But I made good money but I was decilned. I'm approved at another furniture place and made these idiots look foolish. Would never recommend. I recommend RentDelite.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I will pay more than 3000 dollars for an item of 1000 dollars. Don't use it. Be aware. Not worth it. They don't tell you before you use the service. After you have the item you will realize that you are being ripped off. Scam bags.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This company is unfair. I purchased $900 in merchandise using the monthly payments. Now I used the pay it off in 90 days option. Well I paid it off in 90 days. Well a month later I wanted to use them again I got denied. I called and they stated that I need to use a different checking account??? Why can't I use the same one I used the first time. More like you guys did make money off me so you don't want my business.

Original review: March 30, 2019

All my family has used Progressive Leasing. We all used the 90 day option. Very easy to call to get information. Never had a problem with the company. We all own all our iPhones. Currently came back for my iPhone XR. I highly recommend Progressive Leasing.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I had no problem with these guys at all. I purchased a couch and bedroom set from Slumberland and used these guys because of course I have difficult credit. It was pretty laid out to me. I paid a 50 dollar application fee or lease fee that was non refundable and my payments were 92 every 2 weeks. Paid up to my 90 day buyout and paid it off. I see all of these nasty reviews about paying double. If you do not do 90 day buyout then you are going to pay double for your purchase. That is just how it is. They are not scamming you. It is like going into Aaron’s or Rent-A-Center. If you pay within buyout period then it's way cheaper. I would recommend to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2019

So the key to using this company is to 1) opt for a 90-day lease agreement and 2) understand it has to be paid off before or on the due date. The 90-day lease is cheaper than acquiring those high-interest fees but IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, YOU SHOULDN'T BE BUYING IT. Please take that into consideration when purchasing for wants, not needs. Anywho, so let's say the agreement is 90 days for $900, your biweekly payments should be about $150. But understand that the tax on that payment is not included in the payoff so the actual amount is more like 140. 6 weeks of payments of 140 is 840, not 900.

This is where I think the misunderstanding of payments is. Ok, so now it comes to the deadline for the 900 and you have payments coming out through direct deposit. All you need is 60 to pay it off so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong! Typically that takes to 2-3 days to take money out of a checking or savings. This is how people miss their deadlines. That 60 should be paid off before the last day of agreement not on it. Basically, pay the last amount due over the span of the agreement as you pay the biweekly payments and you shouldn't have a problem.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We made a mattress purchase and used Progressive Leasing to finance it. We used the 90 same as cash option and just paid it off. From start to finish it was seamless. They were very upfront about their terms. Our store associate where we made the purchase (Mattress Firm) was very knowledgeable of the service and also explained things clearly. Communication from Progressive Leasing was clear and prompt. They have a website that you can make your payments and even an app that you can download. I would definitely recommend them and would use them again if needed.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Long story short, I guess if you don’t have the funds and really want to buy the things needed without good credit then this is Ok. But be aware, they are very expensive if it is not paid back in 90 days. It’s usually double what the original price of loan they gave you and more at times. I bought my car rims through them, and yea paid about 5k. Never again, but you live and learn!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Had moved into a new apartment with my wife last September. We needed a new couch and had looked at Big Lots. I just started a new job so I didn't have the cash to fork down on a brand new cash although I could afford bi weekly payments. Big Lots had told me about the lease to own option which allows me to purchase the couch within 90 days of the start of my lease. I was on board and went with that option, fast forward a month... They do not really tell you to switch to the Lease to Own option unless you ask or are already aware of this option. I looked into the account and found that the total cost of the couch was way more than what I was supposed to pay. I give them a call and have my account switched to the Lease to Own, after 3 months I had the couch paid off.

About 4 months later, I needed a new mattress. Knowing how expensive mattresses could be I was looking at an affordable one. I went to Mattress Firm and found the mattress I liked. After discussing with the salesperson, I found that the mattress I wanted was nearly $800 after everything is said and done. I found out through the salesperson that Progressive Leasing was an option and having already went with them for the couch I purchased I decided to do it again. I've been paying on the mattress and should have it paid off in less than a month. I already switched my account to the Lease to Own option. Couldn't be happier with the lease to own option from Progressive Leasing.

Original review: March 5, 2019

This is for the people curious or skeptical about Progressive Leasing. Ok so back story first. I went to Best Buy, got denied for their credit card, and so basically they said there was also a leasing option where they don't go by your credit score. So I ended up choosing the Progressive Leasing. I was feeling so good about it because I wanted this camera Bad, and didn't have $1,300 to pay for it. So now I'm happy and will have it paid off soon, so thank you Progressive I am enjoying the Amazing camera. So let me answer the Bugging questions I'm seeing, and explain how this works... I'll leave bullet points. Here goes.

*Select stores have Progressive Leasing. Best buy, Overstock.Com I hear big lots, Kay Jewelers, Fry's Electronics and more. Not everyone has it. Not every Best Buy or Fry's has it, for example. *You go in and apply, and make SURE you have a work history of I believe 2-3 years, and your bank account info that this money has been going to, and an ID. If you use an account that is not very active, you can be denied! They want to know how often you get paid and roughly how much you get paid BEFORE taxes... *They will ask your social, and Make Sure your debit/credit card MATCHES your name on your id... etc.

*They will give you a credit limit, now with this, you can choose anything you want in the store within that limit. Obviously. And you can get items or 1 item, and you will pay a $85 deposit. Some places charge less. (This deposit is for Progressive. Not sure if it goes towards the product. I don't think it does.) *Ok now you paid deposit, and you have your items. Congratulations. If not, find a friend with active work experience or family that trust between you two.

Payments, and the lease... Here's where it gets good. *You can go to the app, or website for Progressive Leasing, and there create an account using your social. It will show you your balance you owe, (which is the 90 day buyout option), and when your next payment is due. First payment usually isn't due until about 10 days later. They are aiming for your direct deposit from your job. *YOU NEED TO PAY OFF YOUR BALANCE FOR THE ITEM(S) WITHIN 90 DAYS or you will have hella fees to pay. HELLA fees. Now, you have a minimum balance they will automatically withdraw for 1 year! But you can't let this happen!!! This is only the Minimum balance and will NOT cover only 90 days with of payments to have it paid off to avoid the charges...

So you, can go ahead when you're ready and make A payment SOON! So let's say your payment is due in a week... they will withdraw $ how much $ in 1 week from today... You can go ahead and pay that payment down NOW, and it will go towards your payment due date... Ex... Let's say I owe $1,400 for my item... and my next due date is in a week for $115 (Bi weekly). I can make a payment of eh, $20 now... Ok click done. Now, my next payment is now $95. And my early 90 day buyout is now $1,380. So come this bill in a week, it will be less than it Normally would have been, and they will withdraw whatever that is. BUT, WHAT IF I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PAY MY ENTIRE NEXT PAYMENT DUE, NOW (and maybe then some).

Ok so you end up paying that $115 ahead of time... Guess what, you don't have a payment to make until the NEXT bill... that payment will disappear off your account, and the NEXT PAYMENT DUE date will be present. So I HIGHLY recommend you pay as much as you can, because not only will it knock your payments off, it will knock your Total purchase price down, and you need to pay it off in 90 days. It will feel good to make even a small payment, and watch your pay off amount go down. But! If you have only been Paying the minimum payments, you will be paying past the 90 days and will be **. Pay MORE than the minimum payments due. You can make as many payments as many times as you want, and it will keep lowering your buyout. This way once you pay it off inside of 90 days, you will own it.

Here's some extras I learned from using this program... *If you go to a, say Best Buy, get approved for a balance but they don't have the product, they will order it and have it shipped to your house... you choose the shipping option. (First payment is not until about 10 days after you receive the item.) *You can add payment methods. *You can add authorized users.

*If you want to have them automatically take out the Minimum payments, and you Still want to make PAYMENTS separate from this to pay towards the buyout, you have to call and do it over the phone. OTHERWISE, whatever payments you make will go towards your next bill. I like this best because it gives you a chance to not have to worry about the auto draw on next payment. And you can keep knocking back the payments, and pay extra, it ALL GOES TOWARDS YOUR FINAL BUYOUT... *If you want to do a return I believe it is within 14 days, or 10 for a phone etc... go in with receipt or personal info, and you may have to pay a 25% restocking fee! But they will remove the item from your leasing account. That's all guys. I hope I helped.

Original review: March 4, 2019

In December I called to have my payments moved from the 1st and the 15th to the 8th and the 24th. At NO POINT during that call were expectations set that there is a difference between an Agreement Amendment and simply moving the dates. Fast forward to 3 months later to now getting phone calls saying my account is past due, but yet my payments reflect in the payment history being automatically debited out on the 8th and 24th like clockwork. Piss poor management gives a pathetic and fake apology and false expectations that they'll go back and "train". No the hell you won't. How could you when it took 3 damn months to bring to my attention that this was even a freaking thing. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

MY FIANCE BOUGHT MY RING AT KAY'S BACK IN NOVEMBER 2018. HE OBVIOUSLY PURCHASED IT ON HIS OWN, WITH HIS BANK ACCOUNT INFO. In December we went to lease furniture at FFO. I applied and got approved, he applied and got denied. No big deal. His payment for the ring gets drafted out every Thursday out of (his) account and has been since he bought the ring and it's now almost March. Sometime after December I started receiving email confirmation of the payment and I thought it was weird but dismissed it because it was still drafted from his account.

This morning 2/25/19 I got the email and thought it was weird so I checked my account and they charged my account for the payment after they just charged his account this past Thursday. Customer service is trying to tell us that when he applied at FFO that it changed his account information but there was no payment made under his name nor was he even accepted. It was under my name that a payment was made and his name is not on the furniture bill with Progressive Leasing. There is no documentation of me authorizing the payment to be drafted out of my account yet they want to try to justify us applying at a different company changed the authorization on the account which is false. Be careful when you use this company. Once I pay off my furniture bill and ring we will not be using Progressive Leasing again. Terrible customer service and wrongful facts.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My husband THOUGHT we needed a bunk bed and a sofa and loveseat. Well the purchase price for all 3 was $1069 at Big Lots before tax. Big Lots partners with Progressive Leasing to lease their furniture if you don’t the money up front. My early payout option today is $1159.42 (that’s saving me about $600) plus I’ve already paid $788 over the course of 3.5 months. So they stick you for more than twice the price. Highly disgusted with the way they do business. I asked the rep what the APR is and she said there isn’t one. It’s just a set price when you lease with them I guess depending on the terms and amount you finance.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

We moved into a new home from across the country and needed to get new furniture. We were limited to 1 income so we signed up with Progressive Leasing for a 2300.00 lease. We purchased all of the furniture we needed and paid 172 every 2 weeks until February. After the 2nd monthly payment was taken out I scheduled our total payoff for the remaining amount we spent. It was withdrawn from my account as schedule before the 90 day option and I received my email confirmation I was paid in full and completed my loan.

If it wasn't for this program we couldn't have gotten what we needed. Everything you need to know is literally in the terms and conditions, and your store employee should be able to answer questions about it too. Our associate even warned us that if we didn't pay it within 90 days we would end up paying double the total price from interest. There is also no early payoff penalty either. It's a great option when you need something sooner than later. Just pay attention and make your payments and there won't be a problem.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

This company is beyond a joke. I applied for a new cell phone at Cricket knowing I would pay some interest, but they wanted to charge me $1,600 for a $700 cell phone. I called Progressive Leasing. Told them the interest is incredibly way too high for anyone to pay. I asked them how to return the phone and cancel the lease. They simply said, "Cricket has a seven-day return policy so just take the phone back." Also Progressive Leasing technically has a 10-day return policy. I went two days later to Cricket to return the phone like Progressive told me to do. They said the lease would cancel once I return the cell phone. I returned the cell phone 2 weeks ago and today my checking account was charged for a product I had for TWO days. All I know is if I don't get my money back and if I am charged again I AM suing. Do not use this company. They're robbing people.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I purchased some items from Big Lots and planned to pay off early until Progressive Leasing added almost $1500 to my bill. I complained to them about payments received and explained there is no way I owe them almost $1800 for items that came to $800 after I had already made at least 11 payments. I told them I was filing a small claims against them and you should see the email I received today. Now they say I only owe $375.87. What a big difference. Do not I repeat do not let these people take your hard earned money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I got my bedroom set from Big Lots. They helped me with setting up the leasing purchase. I get my new furniture delivered the very next day. I paid for it with the 90 days same as cash plan. A week before the deadline of the 90 days I set up the final payment. Good thing I did because the payment was made 3 days after I set up the final payment. Lucky that I didn't wait too long! Love my furniture! Thank you Big Lots & Progressive Leasing!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I purchased a queen bed for myself and one for my son. The total came to about 1200.00 including delivery, taxes and whatnots. Not an issue. I was told I would pay 195.00 per month for my purchase. Well, once I got home and read the contract, I realized I would pay 195.00 2x a month on my payday. Not what I was planning, but I was aware of the 90 day same as cash, which meant anything I paid went to the 1200.00+ some of the fees Progressive imposed. So I did my best to pay it all in the 90 days. We desperately needed new beds, and I didn't have the cash up front. If I had paid the 400.00 a month for the 12 months like they were hoping they would have gotten almost 4800.00 from me. This is predatory practices. They know that people who apply with them have less than perfect credit, and they use that to their advantage.

FOR the most part all the negative reviews are correct. Some may be slightly exaggerated compared to my experience. But I find the negative comments closer to my experience than the positive ones especially since positive reviews can be bought, just keep that in mind. However, if you NEED something... It is an ok thing. Just be aware that you are going to pay 4x the cost of the items you purchase. Plan on the 90 day same as cash option, or wait. My daughter paid the last 500.00 of our beds, so we were not stuck in this situation for long. But, I am a planner. As soon as I got home I got on the website, read the contract, looked at the payment structure, and realized what I had done. I will most likely NEVER use Progressive again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I got approved from the company for 2,950. I called the customer support before making a purchase because I realized the lease didn't state what percent of interest they use. After being on hold for 30 minutes and arguing with them to inform me how much the "fees" will be since they don't charge "interest", for 2000 dollars they said a "ball park" estimate over 12 months would be 400 dollars a month. That equals out to $4,800 for a $2,000 loan... This company is a joke, they won't give you facts upfront.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I will NOT USE Progressive Leasing ever again. I used Progressive Leasing for the Purple mattress I have. Let me tell you up front that the company is a rip-off. I was told that my lease would be $63.00 plus tax. I made the payment of $63.13 when I signed the lease. Then after I received the mattress I got an email from Progressive saying that my first payment was due in the amount of $161.08 plus tax of $11.28 = $172.36. First off the amount is not what I thought. Anyway, if you pay this amount for 13 months, you will be paying almost $2000.00.

Here are the problems with this company. 1. They CANNOT charge you extra tax. The original tax should be close to $62.93 if you charge Florida tax at 7%. Utah sales tax at 4.7% is 42.25. However, they are charging tax of $11.28 each and every month for 12 months and the 13th month is tax of $11.27. The total amount Progressive is charging is $146.63. Is that even legal? 2. I know my total amount was $961.93 and that was using Florida tax at 7%. 3. I gave Progressive $63.13 when I signed the lease. WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO? That amount should have been deducted from my original amount leaving me owing Progressive $898.80.

4. This company is totally ripping people off. 5. Progressive is also charging INTEREST. That means it is a loan, not a lease! 6. This is what I have found online: There is no interest. A lease is not a loan. I intend to leave a exceptionally great review for my Purple mattress but I do also intend to warn other people about Progressive. GIANT RIP-OFF!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I am paying over 4000.00 for an 1800.00 bedroom set. I had no idea it would be that much! I smell a big class action lawsuit coming their way... I will never lease from Progressive again... Ripoff artist!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have talked to 3-4 customer service representatives about changing my payment to the first or second of every month yet they never put it in their notes. They've cost me over 200 dollars just in overdraft fees because they would never change my payment date, don't use these people.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I am grateful for Progressive Leasing's 90 day same as cash program. I've completed two separate purchases and paid them off in full with no issues. Great solution for credit challenged consumers! I am looking forward to my next purchase already.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I don’t understand the negative reviews. The leasing agreement clearly identifies a 90 day pay off option, or an extended payoff option. If not paid off within 90 days, the price nearly doubles. Presented with this information, I knew I would pay off in 90 Days! Simple! If you can’t afford to pay off the amount within 90 days. I do not suggest you proceed with the agreement. Remember, there is no credit check! They are taking a risk, therefore taking longer than 90 days would result in them making more money. I think it’s great they are giving credit challenged individuals the opportunity to purchase. It’s almost like paying cash, if paying off in 90 days... The fees are very low!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’m paying $4500 dollars on a $1600 purchase. Don’t ever use Progressive Leasing. It is not worth it! Trust me there are better ways to go than to get conned into one of these lease agreements. Never again will I use this lease.

Progressive Leasing expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Progressive Leasing helps retail stores and merchants obtain financing for their customers with less-than-perfect credit by offering an alternative to traditional financing. It offers a lease-to-own purchase program for stores to offer their customers as an additional payment option, ensuring they are able to leave the store with the purchase they came in for.

• Purchasing merchandise: Customers have two options for purchasing merchandise in your store: cash or credit. For customers who have less-than-perfect credit, obtaining financing may be hard or impossible. Progressive Leasing offers your customers a no-credit-needed program that comes with a 90-day payment plan.

• Business benefits: Using Progressive Leasing’s no-credit-needed payment option lets retailers and merchants accept more customers, increasing their sales numbers, reducing the number of layaways and increasing the number of repeat customers. Even is a customer has good credit, have Progressive Leasing’s 90-day payment plan gives your store another option to offer customers.

• Features: Progressive Leasing makes it easy for your customers to work with them by providing a simple, step-by-step process to ensure complete satisfaction. Customers will experience easy online applications, a seamless approval process and automated payments.

• Store portal: Progressive Leasing offers retailers and merchants an online store portal where they can log in and monitor the status of their customer’s purchases. It also includes retailer procedures and contact information for Progressive support.

• Request more information: If you are interested in learning more about Progressive Leasing’s program, you can fill out an online form with your store’s information. The form requests information like your stored website, how long it has been open and the type of merchandise you sell.

• Best for: retailers who want to offer their customers another payment option.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs