Progressive Leasing

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Reading all of these negative reviews it's clear that none of these people understood the terms they were agreeing to. This is my 3rd time around using Progressive for financing of furniture and such from Big Lots. Yes, they jack up the price of the original purchase by half but if you pay the same as cash price in 90 days (which is clearly stated in the contract you are asked to sign) you don't get charged the extra. Pay attention to what you're agreeing to and your 90 day early buyout date and you're golden.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am wanting to be fair with my assessment of Progressive Leasing. If they correct this issue, I will also post it as well. I bought furniture for my daughter who lives in NJ but did the purchase as cash and carry in a tax-free state. I live in the state of NC and I recently received the terms of my contract from Progressive. Here is where the issue is, how is Progressive adding a state sales tax for the state of NC for furniture carried and paid for in a tax-free state? What sale receipt will they be presenting to the state of NC for my purchase?

When I called Progressive Leasing and made my concerns known, I was advised that taxes are assessed based on the residence of the lessee and not where the furniture was purchased. Now, for that logic to make sense and be legal, in my opinion, I should have been able to pick out the furniture selected in NC and then have my daughter to pick it up in DE; contractually correct. However, this is not what Progressive Leasing allow me to do. I was told I had to travel to DE and pick out my furniture and sign the documents there; my purchase amount $1517 with no sales tax, receipt to prove it. Now, Progressive Leasing is wanting to collect state sales taxon behalf of NC. My question is "how?" If Progressive Leasing insists on keeping NC sales tax on my purchase, then I will be following a complaint with the various banking oversight committees which they have to answer to.

Sound Warehouse offered financing through Progressive for car speakers and amplifier. After making payments for the first two months we were offered early buyout. We paid in full and received notification that the account was closed. However for some reason the previous payment had bounced and the account was reopened. Two months later we start getting calls saying we owe on the account. It took us two months to hopefully get it sorted out by paying the "missed" payment but not without asking for full documentation to send to my lawyer. They even tried to charge me an additional $1000. All this for a $600 product. Their customer service is a joke. All they want is as much money as they can scam people for.

We have done business with Progressive Leasing several times. Contract was always explained to us, we were fully aware of the weekly cost (or set up bi-weekly, or monthly), the contract cost, and buyout cost. Example: you buy a sofa set for 1200... the contract amount will be about double that. It's a lease-purchase, somewhat like Aaron's, or RAC, etc.

You get 90 days to pay the amount in cash - the actual retail purchase price. So let's say your payments are $54 a week, you pay for two months, then you can buy it at retail price, with your paid payments subtracted. If you go over the 90 days, the buyout is a portion of what the remaining contract balance is. Your balance might be say $940, but you can still early payout at $516.

I hope my explanation makes sense. It's the internet. Lol. They aren't a bad company if you have less than great credit, or just don't like to mess with credit cards, etc. We've always had good customer service from Progressive, on the phone, and we do like the fact that the website allows you complete control of your payments. You can make extra payments, and it details the balance after each payment, which we really like. Just research before you sign up. And when at the dealership, ASK questions! Take a piece of paper with questions with you.

These people are full of crap. They lied to me about how much I would pay and when I called them out the customer service rep would not help me out because I couldn't remember the gentlemen I spoke to at the mattress store. He then proceeded to tell me I missed a payment by 4 days because my debit card was expired even though there another year plus until it does. Don't give your money away to these people. I was told I would only pay 1100 and the end cost is over 2300. ** this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Leasing?

I went to Big Sandy to look for a mattress set and at last I found one for $799. Went through Progressive Leasing to rent to own this furniture, and before I signed any of the documents on the computer, I had asked the lady what my biweekly payments would be, and she stated 51.34 biweekly. However this morning I received an email stating that my biweekly payments were now $66.86, and the payoff was $1798. That's double the cost of the price of the bed! None of this was explained during the process of applying for the Progressive lease or signing up on the Progressive lease. Needless to say, I will be returning this bed. Lord only knows how much they'll charge me to end the lease and return the furniture! Stay far far away from this company! Aaron's is at least slightly cheaper.

Walked into a store with money to buy furniture. Saw their leasing deal and decided to go with that to free up more money to help with the move. I was told that I would pay around $60 a month for 12 months, which works out to the price with tax and interest. So I agreed. The lady checking me out had me use her laptop. She'd explain and then say, click the boxes if you understand. Well, sure enough I find out that if I use the 12 months I pay double, over $1,200. I immediately contact the company telling them about this, and all I get is the run-around. They said well if I pay it off in 90 days, there is no interest. How do I know for sure? Nothing else has been true. So not only do I pay bi-monthly, but you have to pay double-bi monthly payments to pay it off in 90 days. No way this is legal!

This is the worst leasing company ever. They first told me I would be getting 12 month no interest then after I had sign the loan papers it said I had a 3 month same as cash offer. After that if it took the 12 month my balance had doubled what I initially borrowed. I will never I repeat never use this leasing company again. I wish I could give the zero stars!!! Furious.

I have a Progressive Lease through Kay Jewelers for an engagement ring. It was a beautiful ring that made my Fiancee VERY happy. Progressive helped me very much to get the ring and with fair biweekly payments. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have been able to pop the big question. If possible I would for sure give them more than just 5 stars!

I signed up online for their 12 month no interest & payments. I was approved but there was no documentation until I went in store to purchase. I was then told I'd have to pay the loan in 3 months, and told I'd have to call to verify I would be paying off my loan before the 3 months or face interest charges. I was completely misled online and the people in the store I purchased from were already aware of this fiasco and stated it was a rent to own. I am very dissatisfied with the false advertising this leasing company is providing. You end up paying double the amount for the product.

I don't understand all the negative reviews. The company does a great job letting you know all their options. With a family of 4 this option has helped me furnish my living room and a new mattress with their 90 day option which doesn't cost you anything more than if I bought it that day in the store. The representative that explained the program told me my payments come out on pay periods which are weekly for me so I pay weekly and it's fine. I always pay within 90 days so I don't get slammed with the full term payment that I am aware of.

I am on my second time using them and when I'm done I will use them again for the table my wife wants. All my furniture is Jordans which is very high quality. Very happy with their product. I feel the people who have had issues just sign documents without reading. I knew what I was getting and as long as you pay within 90 days you make out. Will be doing business with them again.

Didn't have a way to check balance online, but after contacting someone on phone, found out my 90 payoff had ended and I would have to pay back 355.00 when I only used 124.00 for a phone!!! Then was told the amount that I was giving (305.00) no longer available, and that I would have to apply all over for another loan at higher rate and that the remaining balance would be added on!!! Worst Business I have ever dealt with in my entire life span...

Lease to own - 1st off I was shopping at Conns Home Plus at the Sheridan store which I've had great experiences in the past. I was excited to hear that Progressive Leasing had joined their financing as greeted by Jessica and explain that I didn't want my credit hit. She was very upfront about the whole process. I got a great TV. Whole process was short and I would offer this to anyone. Salesperson and entire staff was knowledgeable.

First of all they don't explain everything. Second of all you think you are getting a good deal but you are not. You end up paying more. I would not recommend this service to anyone. I don't know why this people are still in business!!! My 90 days are not over yet and I already have a huge regret with this company.

Furniture financing - First off your are told a monthly payment. After a month or so it doubles as they start taking it bi-monthly as opposed to the agreed upon monthly payment. So your $85 payment you thought you could afford becomes $170. Then during the last two months of the loan in did the early payoff. They still attempted to charge me. After that was settled and the account was paid in full, I asked if they would be reporting my account to the credit bureau. The reply I got said, "while we reserve the right to report to the credit bureaus we are not doing so at this time." Translation: "We only report delinquent accounts. We don't want to help people build credit because then they won't need a rip off company like us."

Today I was wanting to lease a phone through Cricket Wireless but "Progressive Leasing" is who you make the payments to. I was told you only need an active bank account and income so I applied. And was denied several times. Why? I don't know! So I called and was told to email an 90 day statement and voided check. After I did I was still denied. The problem is these people gave me the run around. I was on the phone with them on and off for 3 HOURS for this information. I literally called them 9 times cause of a link they sent and never did. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE AND THEY SHOWED NO SYMPATHY.

Consumer Increased Rating!

July 10, 2017, the last of the issues with Progressive have been been resolved by a manager from their Customer Relations department. A long series of unfortunate circumstances starting with a MattressFirm sales associate who did not fully disclose lease details, to Progressive associates and departments who were slow to mitigate damages, came to an end. No one was able to pinpoint where things got out of hand, but final closing documents were finally sent and the account and case are closed.

Tom of Carthage, MO on

Original Review

Purchased 3 mattresses from Mattress Firm and was told that Progressive was their "In-House" financing. At the time of sale, the salesperson at Mattress Firm was acting as a fully authorized agent for Progressive Leasing. The "lease" was SUPPOSED to be a "90 Days, same as cash”, in-house financing. No processing fees or financing charges were ever discussed or copies provided. $1300 down was paid on a $2159.99 purchase. The cash for the entire purchase was available, but I wanted to get some credit payment history started (I've paid cash for everything for 15 years and had no history still on record).

After the in-store payments for the bulk of the purchase were made, another amount was removed from my account the next day, and I still have no explanation for that one. Now Progressive explains by email that they get a one-time processing fee (never discussed before) and have outlined a complicated and confusing payment plan for the payoff. Oh, and that it's NOT their fault that all the information was not fully disclosed. They already have automatic payments set-up from my account (3 Only in the next 90 days). Why are they concerned with payoffs, financing, fees and 12 month options? This was supposed to be a straight-up 90 days deferred payment setup.

My opinion is that Mattress Firm and Progressive Leasing are essentially the same company and that the sales people are compensated agents of both companies. I am fully, legally disabled and on a fixed income. This is stress I don't need or can easily tolerate. The money is in the account to pay this off, and all I ever wanted was a straightforward and transparent transaction on some mattress. And incidentally, the mattresses "leased" thru Progressive were NOT new as represented, but "Second Hand/Used" units from previous "leases" (found this out AFTER the delivery), and so forth. In my opinion it is best to avoid either/both of these companies for safety's sake.

Scam, scam, scam!!! They tell you what your MONTHLY payment will be, but then they turn around and say after you've had the furniture for 30 days, "o no, your payments are bi weekly." That's not what I agreed to, now they want to double my monthly payment, that's not what I agreed to either. They use the old bait and switch scam... I will be filing a complaint with the BBB! BEWARE!!!

I purchased a bed/mattress, table and chairs. Purchase price was $1752. I was told it could be 90 days same as cash. My payments were bi-weekly at a rate of $145. After 3 payments, (90 days will be 27 Jul), I attempted to go online and pay off thinking I would owe about $1300. Not!!! The pay off is $1686, which means that even paying within 90 days, they charged me $300 over the purchase price! I do not recommend this. At this rate, it's better to use a rental company with a 120 day same as cash! At least they provide free delivery and the price is really same as cash! I plan to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

We needed a new mattress but didn't have the money for one. Went to Mattress Firm because they finance. Were approved with Progressive Financial and told they would automatically deduct the money from our account every two weeks. Not a problem. That is until my husband switched jobs and his pay dates changed. Called Progressive Financial to let them know. They had already received the one payment for the month and we were told they would make the adjustment. Haven't missed a payment yet but every month since then and lately it has been up to a half dozen times a day, they call us and hound us. Even after letting the representative calling know we were told that we could still expect these calls. I don't even answer their calls anymore and not only that but they call from different areas of the country with different area codes and numbers. Do they think I am stupid? I have caller ID and if they aren't in my contact list they don't get answered.

This company elaborate a contracts to trap a consumer in high interest % - 100% in 12 months loan. This is Legal????

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Progressive Leasing helps retail stores and merchants obtain financing for their customers with less-than-perfect credit by offering an alternative to traditional financing. It offers a lease-to-own purchase program for stores to offer their customers as an additional payment option, ensuring they are able to leave the store with the purchase they came in for.

• Purchasing merchandise: Customers have two options for purchasing merchandise in your store: cash or credit. For customers who have less-than-perfect credit, obtaining financing may be hard or impossible. Progressive Leasing offers your customers a no-credit-needed program that comes with a 90-day payment plan.
  • Business benefits: Using Progressive Leasing’s no-credit-needed payment option lets retailers and merchants accept more customers, increasing their sales numbers, reducing the number of layaways and increasing the number of repeat customers. Even is a customer has good credit, have Progressive Leasing’s 90-day payment plan gives your store another option to offer customers.
  • Features: Progressive Leasing makes it easy for your customers to work with them by providing a simple, step-by-step process to ensure complete satisfaction. Customers will experience easy online applications, a seamless approval process and automated payments.
  • Store portal: Progressive Leasing offers retailers and merchants an online store portal where they can log in and monitor the status of their customer’s purchases. It also includes retailer procedures and contact information for Progressive support.
  • Request more information: If you are interested in learning more about Progressive Leasing’s program, you can fill out an online form with your store’s information. The form requests information like your stored website, how long it has been open and the type of merchandise you sell.
  • Best for retailers who want to offer their customers another payment option.

Compare Business to Business Services