2.46/5

146 Progressive Leasing Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

So the key to using this company is to 1) opt for a 90-day lease agreement and 2) understand it has to be paid off before or on the due date. The 90-day lease is cheaper than acquiring those high-interest fees but IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, YOU SHOULDN'T BE BUYING IT. Please take that into consideration when purchasing for wants, not needs. Anywho, so let's say the agreement is 90 days for $900, your biweekly payments should be about $150. But understand that the tax on that payment is not included in the payoff so the actual amount is more like 140. 6 weeks of payments of 140 is 840, not 900.

This is where I think the misunderstanding of payments is. Ok, so now it comes to the deadline for the 900 and you have payments coming out through direct deposit. All you need is 60 to pay it off so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong! Typically that takes to 2-3 days to take money out of a checking or savings. This is how people miss their deadlines. That 60 should be paid off before the last day of agreement not on it. Basically, pay the last amount due over the span of the agreement as you pay the biweekly payments and you shouldn't have a problem.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Had moved into a new apartment with my wife last September. We needed a new couch and had looked at Big Lots. I just started a new job so I didn't have the cash to fork down on a brand new cash although I could afford bi weekly payments. Big Lots had told me about the lease to own option which allows me to purchase the couch within 90 days of the start of my lease. I was on board and went with that option, fast forward a month... They do not really tell you to switch to the Lease to Own option unless you ask or are already aware of this option. I looked into the account and found that the total cost of the couch was way more than what I was supposed to pay. I give them a call and have my account switched to the Lease to Own, after 3 months I had the couch paid off.

About 4 months later, I needed a new mattress. Knowing how expensive mattresses could be I was looking at an affordable one. I went to Mattress Firm and found the mattress I liked. After discussing with the salesperson, I found that the mattress I wanted was nearly $800 after everything is said and done. I found out through the salesperson that Progressive Leasing was an option and having already went with them for the couch I purchased I decided to do it again. I've been paying on the mattress and should have it paid off in less than a month. I already switched my account to the Lease to Own option. Couldn't be happier with the lease to own option from Progressive Leasing.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

This is for the people curious or skeptical about Progressive Leasing. Ok so back story first. I went to Best Buy, got denied for their credit card, and so basically they said there was also a leasing option where they don't go by your credit score. So I ended up choosing the Progressive Leasing. I was feeling so good about it because I wanted this camera Bad, and didn't have $1,300 to pay for it. So now I'm happy and will have it paid off soon, so thank you Progressive I am enjoying the Amazing camera. So let me answer the Bugging questions I'm seeing, and explain how this works... I'll leave bullet points. Here goes.

*Select stores have Progressive Leasing. Best buy, Overstock.Com I hear big lots, Kay Jewelers, Fry's Electronics and more. Not everyone has it. Not every Best Buy or Fry's has it, for example. *You go in and apply, and make SURE you have a work history of I believe 2-3 years, and your bank account info that this money has been going to, and an ID. If you use an account that is not very active, you can be denied! They want to know how often you get paid and roughly how much you get paid BEFORE taxes... *They will ask your social, and Make Sure your debit/credit card MATCHES your name on your id... etc.

*They will give you a credit limit, now with this, you can choose anything you want in the store within that limit. Obviously. And you can get items or 1 item, and you will pay a $85 deposit. Some places charge less. (This deposit is for Progressive. Not sure if it goes towards the product. I don't think it does.) *Ok now you paid deposit, and you have your items. Congratulations. If not, find a friend with active work experience or family that trust between you two.

Payments, and the lease... Here's where it gets good. *You can go to the app, or website for Progressive Leasing, and there create an account using your social. It will show you your balance you owe, (which is the 90 day buyout option), and when your next payment is due. First payment usually isn't due until about 10 days later. They are aiming for your direct deposit from your job. *YOU NEED TO PAY OFF YOUR BALANCE FOR THE ITEM(S) WITHIN 90 DAYS or you will have hella fees to pay. HELLA fees. Now, you have a minimum balance they will automatically withdraw for 1 year! But you can't let this happen!!! This is only the Minimum balance and will NOT cover only 90 days with of payments to have it paid off to avoid the charges...

So you, can go ahead when you're ready and make A payment SOON! So let's say your payment is due in a week... they will withdraw $ how much $ in 1 week from today... You can go ahead and pay that payment down NOW, and it will go towards your payment due date... Ex... Let's say I owe $1,400 for my item... and my next due date is in a week for $115 (Bi weekly). I can make a payment of eh, $20 now... Ok click done. Now, my next payment is now $95. And my early 90 day buyout is now $1,380. So come this bill in a week, it will be less than it Normally would have been, and they will withdraw whatever that is. BUT, WHAT IF I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PAY MY ENTIRE NEXT PAYMENT DUE, NOW (and maybe then some).

Ok so you end up paying that $115 ahead of time... Guess what, you don't have a payment to make until the NEXT bill... that payment will disappear off your account, and the NEXT PAYMENT DUE date will be present. So I HIGHLY recommend you pay as much as you can, because not only will it knock your payments off, it will knock your Total purchase price down, and you need to pay it off in 90 days. It will feel good to make even a small payment, and watch your pay off amount go down. But! If you have only been Paying the minimum payments, you will be paying past the 90 days and will be **. Pay MORE than the minimum payments due. You can make as many payments as many times as you want, and it will keep lowering your buyout. This way once you pay it off inside of 90 days, you will own it.

Here's some extras I learned from using this program... *If you go to a, say Best Buy, get approved for a balance but they don't have the product, they will order it and have it shipped to your house... you choose the shipping option. (First payment is not until about 10 days after you receive the item.) *You can add payment methods. *You can add authorized users.

*If you want to have them automatically take out the Minimum payments, and you Still want to make PAYMENTS separate from this to pay towards the buyout, you have to call and do it over the phone. OTHERWISE, whatever payments you make will go towards your next bill. I like this best because it gives you a chance to not have to worry about the auto draw on next payment. And you can keep knocking back the payments, and pay extra, it ALL GOES TOWARDS YOUR FINAL BUYOUT... *If you want to do a return I believe it is within 14 days, or 10 for a phone etc... go in with receipt or personal info, and you may have to pay a 25% restocking fee! But they will remove the item from your leasing account. That's all guys. I hope I helped.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I went to Repair Republic in Dallas, TX to have them fix my broken MacBook Pro, when I noticed that they had computers for sale (new and used). I asked about pricing and found that I didn't have the money to buy one just yet until the repair guy told me about Progressive Leasing. The process was quick and easy, took all of 15 minutes for finish the application and the transaction and was out the door. I had no problems with them until I lost my wallet and had to close my bank account due to fraudulent activity and money stolen from my account. During this time I had to wait for the bank to return the stolen money, which seemed like it took forever, with creditors breathing fire down my neck.

I missed 1 payment with them and I called before the payment was missed but didn't have the money (waiting on the bank) They were totally understanding, I gave them all of the documentation (police report and bank statements). They rolled my payment over to the end of the lease, gave a few extra days since I had to deposit paper checks while waiting on my direct deposit, all without any late fees! The customer service person was warm and very sympathetic to my situation. I am now on my second lease, since I paid off my first one last year. Yeah I paid a little extra but if you look at what would have happened if I had used a credit card I wouldn't have saved much by the way of interest and the credit card company was not even interested in my issue, giving me late fees. So, yeah you may have to pay a little more but this company don't treat you like you are less than, just because your credit isn't that great.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My experience was very good! It was clear from the beginning that there are three month to buy without interest. They also allow date changing to accommodate the customer, assuring that you're able to make the agreed upon payments. Now, that's just a bit about business, but it's the manner in which you're treated during these discussions is why I am writing this review. Intent, warmth or lack of, are easily recognized over a phone. I have always felt respected and treated with appreciation from the customer service agents. Particularly, Christi, a young lady who is kind, patient, listens well and seeks to make each customer experience "The Best". Understanding policy is one thing, but delivery is everything! We all know or can relate to these words, "You may not remember exactly what was said, but you will remember how you're made to feel".

Others were great in how they spoke with me also, but Christi's true heart was in both conversations that she had with me. I was impressed with her kind demeanor. Yes, I called and asked questions to assure I understood all expectations! Not once did anyone treat me as an unappreciated client, but as someone they started out wanting to help and would help throughout my three month experience, and they did! If you want a good deal, wait until you know that within 3 months you can keep your word and commitment to Progressive, but equally as important, to yourself. That will give you both a great deal and a great experience. Progressive rescued me in a yacht, and not in a canoe! Thanks for everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Leasing?

Original review: June 26, 2019

Got some patio furniture from Big Lots on Memorial Day. Will be paying off the amount due and never doing business with them again. Was ONE day late on a payment and they charged $30 fee! Ridiculous! ** thieves.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I went to Treasures Jewelers to buy a pair of sunglasses. They told me they use a company called Progressive Leasing so instead of paying upfront I decided to do it. Well now I have paid 700$ for 1 pair of Oakley's and still owe more. Supposedly I bought jewelry and sunglasses adding up to 1,000$ that is completely incorrect. I’m not sure what to do at this point but I strongly recommend staying away from both of these companies. Hope to get this resolved soon. My purchase was in April 2019. Hope this helps others out.

Original review: June 19, 2019

These people are horrible. They had me do all of this running around to get approved for a store that say they don’t even work with. I would never recommend them. I completed the application online. It defaulted to a store in New York and I live in Missouri. They never communicated with me about it.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Called customer service today just to inquire why I am receiving a payment receipt today when my payment is due tomorrow. I was very nice although a little frustrated and confused. The customer service rep had the worst attitude! And after he gave me his explanation, ended his sentence with "so uhhh yeahh". I felt like I was talking to a sassy teenager. I was still confused and didn't really understand what he even said and he seemed very agitated and tried to rush me off the phone like I was pissing him off and I asked to speak to his manager. For one, I actually wanted an explanation that made sense and also to let this company know that their reps are insanely rude. Phone rang and rang, no manager ever came to the line. Thanks guys! Will pay off this purchase in three months and never use again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

These people lie about everything they do! They change due dates, they scam your checking account ahead of due dates, they lie about when the 90 day cash buyout occurs, they should be arrested for ucery! Do NOT under any circumstances use these scam artist to finance ANYTHING!

Original review: June 5, 2019

I ordered a phone and called to cancel the order and lease the very next day. It had already shipped so I caught the phone in transit and had it returned to sender. It was received back at their facility. I called once again to both parties to let them know that it needed to be canceled. Payment was drafted out of my account. Called again, getting the run around from both Progressive and Cricket. This has been going on for a month and payment has not been refunded.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Well I bought some beds at Big Lots using this company. Everything was fine for 10 months. I then tried using the early payoff, made the payment it said was my early payoff amount then after the payment cleared I go online to check my account and it shows I still have an early payoff amount and they're planning on submitting a payment next month. This company screws its customers and does not do business properly.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I am so grateful and happy with Progressive Leasing. They made it easy for me to pay for my item. When you are not able to pay the total price for an item right then. This is where Progressive Leasing came in to help me. I love the 90 day same as cash. Thank you so much.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Every time I call Progressive Leasing with a call I am always treated with kindness, wait times on the phone are short. Everyone I speak to is actually American so I can understand them, and they always solve the problem!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I purchased an item. A bit short on funds, I elected to use Progressive Leasing. After paying the full balance well before the 90 day mark, I asked the firm if they'd be so kind to include the true statement on any correspondence that I had paid the balance off even faster or better than the terms call for. They would not and that's a shame. It would have been an easy way to help a customer improve credit, a bit of good will via a simple true statement.

I do feel they abided by their terms, as did I, so I have no dispute with them in that respect. It seemed to me that they keep their fee as quiet as possible, almost making it seem as if there is no interest or price to be paid when the amount owing is paid in the first 90 days. Not so, the add-on fee amounted to roughly 10% of the purchase price. Now I read the full lease agreement and it was worth it to me to pay that. I just think folks would be well-advised to dig into their own agreement. The amount the consumer must pay will grow massively if they go 1 day beyond the 90 day mark. And in my experience, you'll unfortunately get little courtesy from this firm.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We purchased 1ct certified diamond earrings from Kay Jewelers for $2699.00 using Progressive Leasing. We were under the impression we would be paying $370 month until the $2699 + tax was paid. We will have paid over $5700 for a $2699 set of earrings if we continue with the lease. Had we known we would definitely have chosen the 90 day option. Please know the TOTAL cost before choosing to purchase through Progressive Leasing.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I don't understand some of the bad reviews I have read regarding this company. I have been a faithful customer for 3 years and has never had a problem with this company. Most of everything in my home was furnished through Big Lots using their Progressive Leasing Program. I have always used their 90 day option, and has had ZERO problems, but, I have to say that you MUST call them and ask for the 90 day option. Big Lots staff tells me this every time I go there to get something new. I have recommended this company to numerous friends, and they to have never had an issue. I will always be a customer.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We have used Progressive Leasing twice now. 1st time approved for $2,200, second time for $3,500. Both times were paid off within the 90 days. I'm sure we will be back at some point. Only advice would be, pay it off within the 90 days!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I am not including names or amounts for privacy. Ok first off, I read my contract. I knew what I was signing. I used a different company like this before with the exact same terms a couple years ago and I completed the 90 day buyout so I knew what I was getting into. You have to make sure you select "90 day buyout" when you make your payment and not just the regular payment. HOWEVER, when I did this, it showed me the buyout amount which I paid. Two days later it showed an additional buyout amount. I emailed Progressive asking them to send me a PIF letter and they said no, I owed yet; another amount different from what I paid and what was on their site.

I called and the rep said sometimes they give different buyout amounts as incentives but they don't honor online payments same day. I would have had to call. Then she said I would have had to use a card and not bank. It says nothing about any of this on their site. I made it quite clear this seems fraudulent since I paid what it showed on their site and they keep saying there are different 90 day payoff incentives, even now it shows a different amount than what they say was my balance according to contract. She did close my account and email me a PIF letter. I hope I will not run into any problems because the website shows my next payment to be drafted 6 months from now.

I asked about this and was told don't worry about it, no more payments will be drafted as long as my current payment is considered cleared by them. I'm going to be watching very closely. I never had this kind of trouble with the other company that I used. I will be talking to Best Buy corporate and recommending, for the good of their customers, that they change companies. I know that beggars can't be choosers with bad credit, but my credit is bad after a bad marriage and divorce. I am college educated, and I feel that Progressive seemingly tried to do something that would escape most educated people.

I understand contract terms, but don't offer online "lower payment" incentives if you do not intend to honor them. People think they are done and then get surprised by additional interest and payments later that they weren't expecting. It may not be your intention, but it looks like you are doing it to catch people off guard this way so they go beyond their 90 day option. At very least I encourage that below your 90 day purchase option, you state that 90 day payoff payments have to be made by card by phone that day to be honored, and not online that day.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Horrible place to use for leasing! They charge 100% interest on everything! This is loan sharking and I will be reporting them to the BBB! I hope everyone makes a complaint against them. They are taking advantage of everyone who uses their services!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Found out that the items I am purchasing cost me 2,500 for 2 items and it was doubled the amount. I will never buy or deal with them again. Even the company I bought them from told me to deal with them and I won’t have any problem with them at all.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a tv that was approved through Progressive Leasing. I paid them for the 90 day buy out. Got the confirmation email, confirmation #. 4 months later they started charging my account again saying one of my payments didn't go through so the 90 day buy out didn't count. Luckily I had the emails still with all the confirmation #s. They had to pay to pay my bank back what they pulled and NSF charges and nonscheduled payment charges.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Long story short if you don’t opt for the 90-day buyout option they get you by doubling the cost of the initial purchase e.g. $50 item is now $100. I purchased through Big Lots. THEY DID NOT DISCLOSE the high interest rate nor did Progressive. It was not until I downloaded the app and read the terms, but it’s obviously too late. However the app does state that there is no interest. THIS IS A LIE.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been trying for 2 days to get a phone loan through them. They kept asking for documentation and I kept providing them the documentation they kept asking for. Every time I did they would ask for new documentation. They gave me the run around for 2 days making me go back and forth to my bank to get documentation. They should tell you all up front what they need!!!! I will never do business with them again!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

These people are crooks if you don't pay them off quickly. It cost me double after just one year of on time payments. It is insane the way these people can't get away with this. Jesse James robbed people all the time but he did it with a gun. These people do it by minimum payments. I paid them off in full when I realized what was going on, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Progressive Leasing mislead the public by saying you don't need credit but you do. I did not get approved because they said it could be cause of my credit after I verified my checking account and gave them a lot of personal info which I felt uncomfortable with. But I made good money but I was decilned. I'm approved at another furniture place and made these idiots look foolish. Would never recommend. I recommend RentDelite.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I will pay more than 3000 dollars for an item of 1000 dollars. Don't use it. Be aware. Not worth it. They don't tell you before you use the service. After you have the item you will realize that you are being ripped off. Scam bags.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This company is unfair. I purchased $900 in merchandise using the monthly payments. Now I used the pay it off in 90 days option. Well I paid it off in 90 days. Well a month later I wanted to use them again I got denied. I called and they stated that I need to use a different checking account??? Why can't I use the same one I used the first time. More like you guys did make money off me so you don't want my business.

Original review: March 30, 2019

All my family has used Progressive Leasing. We all used the 90 day option. Very easy to call to get information. Never had a problem with the company. We all own all our iPhones. Currently came back for my iPhone XR. I highly recommend Progressive Leasing.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I had no problem with these guys at all. I purchased a couch and bedroom set from Slumberland and used these guys because of course I have difficult credit. It was pretty laid out to me. I paid a 50 dollar application fee or lease fee that was non refundable and my payments were 92 every 2 weeks. Paid up to my 90 day buyout and paid it off. I see all of these nasty reviews about paying double. If you do not do 90 day buyout then you are going to pay double for your purchase. That is just how it is. They are not scamming you. It is like going into Aaron’s or Rent-A-Center. If you pay within buyout period then it's way cheaper. I would recommend to anyone.

Progressive Leasing expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Progressive Leasing helps retail stores and merchants obtain financing for their customers with less-than-perfect credit by offering an alternative to traditional financing. It offers a lease-to-own purchase program for stores to offer their customers as an additional payment option, ensuring they are able to leave the store with the purchase they came in for.

• Purchasing merchandise: Customers have two options for purchasing merchandise in your store: cash or credit. For customers who have less-than-perfect credit, obtaining financing may be hard or impossible. Progressive Leasing offers your customers a no-credit-needed program that comes with a 90-day payment plan.

• Business benefits: Using Progressive Leasing’s no-credit-needed payment option lets retailers and merchants accept more customers, increasing their sales numbers, reducing the number of layaways and increasing the number of repeat customers. Even is a customer has good credit, have Progressive Leasing’s 90-day payment plan gives your store another option to offer customers.

• Features: Progressive Leasing makes it easy for your customers to work with them by providing a simple, step-by-step process to ensure complete satisfaction. Customers will experience easy online applications, a seamless approval process and automated payments.

• Store portal: Progressive Leasing offers retailers and merchants an online store portal where they can log in and monitor the status of their customer’s purchases. It also includes retailer procedures and contact information for Progressive support.

• Request more information: If you are interested in learning more about Progressive Leasing’s program, you can fill out an online form with your store’s information. The form requests information like your stored website, how long it has been open and the type of merchandise you sell.

• Best for: retailers who want to offer their customers another payment option.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs