1.22/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 12, 2018

105 Pitney Bowes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cancelled my personal postage meter. Requested box to return their crap and an Authorized Return Shipping Label. That took over 6 months to accomplish. Sent a certified letter to the VP of Customer Service. That person never bothered to call me or anything, but did manage to set up a "ticket" in their system. Wow, that helped! NOT. After persistent calling and nagging I finally got the box to ship back their "crap". Now, another 6 months later, I am still awaiting my Purchase Power refund. This is an out and out joke. I am thinking, seriously, about suing them. Never thought I would have to go that route, but it is now the principle of the fight!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been a Pitney Bowes customer for over 5 years now and don't know why I stay with them! Must be due to the contract and the outrageous fees for getting out of the contract! Their customer service is horrific! Not only are they rude, but they don't make any sense! I have to call them every time I get my invoice for the lease. They either overcharge me, add on late fees or they are sending me refunds!!! They never know what is going on and they are coughing and hacking into the phone not to mention it took me over 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone! As a business owner, time is so important but they don't seem to get it! Looking forward for my lease to be up and to use someone else!

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have had the same leased postage machine for over 11 years now. I have had so many issues with their billing and customer service. The machine had to have some parts replaced recently. The tech fixed it and left. A few days later, I get an invoice for over $500 for the replaced parts & service call. I called and was never able to talk to a live person so I went online and emailed them. After 4 weeks, I emailed them again. Another month goes by and now we are receiving invoices with late fees. Yet another month goes by and I. AM. Fuming.

I log into the website and see that the invoice has been credited. No phone call, no email, no apology. I guess I should be thankful that we were credited but seeing as this was not the first time they have tacked on charges for stuff (ie ValueMax, and the stupid overage fees for purchase power, the extremely aggressive late fees). Beware of their contracts - they are not upfront about anything and hide renewal dates, etc.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have called the customer service many time and they still could not resolve my issue. The customer service people are rude. Such a waste of time. They need to realize that most of the people that uses their service are business owners and have no time to waste calling their useless call centers. I called in because I keep getting phone calls that my account is past due and this is after I already set up my auto pay online. I called them to fix it and this lady put me on hold for 25 mins and the next person who answered the phone is just as useless as the first one. I wasted 40 minutes of my time for nothing.

Original review: March 19, 2018

eBay's "global shipping" is overseen by Pitney Bowes and it is a complete ripoff. They claim to pay non-existent import fees on items like used clothing and they subcontract terrible companies like GLS (gls-group.eu) who routinely steal packages and falsify tracking information. I have spent nearly an hour, every day, for the last eight days trying to learn the truth about an item that I purchased nearly a month ago. Pitney Bowes' fake global shipping added to the cost of shipping so that it was more than twice what I paid for the item. And then they "lost" my package and recorded it as delivered, although they have no proof, no signature, zero evidence that the package was delivered. Furthermore, I have yet to receive a refund. Minimize the unhappiness in your life and refuse to use Pitney Bowes' global shipping.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Original review: March 16, 2018

We leased a Mailing Machine from Pitney Bowes and they locked us into a five year Contract. We were not able to use enough postage to justify the expense and the cancellation fee was outrageous. The Contract finally ran out and I have spent two months trying to give the Machine back. I have sent several emails and left several voicemail messages and nobody will get back to me. I am now receiving messages stating that we owe them more money and that it is 78 days past due. Of course, they do not leave a contact phone number or name. I can barely make out the message because the person barely speaks English. I HATE PITNEY BOWES!!! I HAVE NEVER HATED DEALING WITH A COMPANY SO MUCH! They make Rogers look like Company of the Year!

Resolution response: March 15, 2018

I have received an email from Pitney Bowes after putting the story on Facebook and they are looking into the missing dolls.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I received a parcel from the USA. It had been opened and resealed by Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Program. There should have been five dolls in it. They are five inches tall but there were only two. Where are the other three, they cost me quite a lot of money with shipping and import duty. I am very disappointed as they were for my two great granddaughters.

Original review: March 14, 2018

This Company has terrible customer service. They do not care at all for their customers. Clear lack of training to the customer service agents, The Customer Service Agent Alex Employee # **, Does not know how to provide adequate customer service, strictly reads from a script and tries to swindle $1400 from companies for items and services not used without explanation for why the said amount is owed and yet not on the machines. She then refuses to get a supervisor or management to assist in the situation. I recommend you find some other company to do business with in regards to mailing equipment and postage meters.

Original review: March 6, 2018

As we started to close down and move our offices out of California I got in touch with Pitney Bowes to start the process to return our postage meter we had had for more than a dozen years only to find out the contract had more than a year left on it. Found out that when the Pitney Bowes SALES REP pressured me into signing a contract in December of 2016 (and I stupidly thought it was for 2017) the contract was actually for the year 2018. No date on the contract anywhere except the date of signature which was January 2017. The only indication of the period of the contract is the small print which states "if you already have a contract in place then this contract is for the following period." So because I had already a Pitney Bowes contract in place for 2017, which was not mentioned to me by the salesman, the contract I signed in January of 2017 was actually for the year 2018.

I knew we were moving at the beginning of 2018 so kept emailing Pitney Bowes that our 2018 lease would be month to month. I would never sign a contract for more than 12 months in advance of the annual contract period. SHAME ON YOU PITNEY BOWES. The worst thing about Pitney Bowes is that in the 12 times either I or my assistant phoned Pitney Bowes we were on hold for more than 30 minutes, usually more than 45 minutes. Very bad customer support. If I wanted to opt out of the contract not only did I need to pay the entire years lease fee but an additional $300+ penalty for cancelling early, HUGH??? I would join in on any class action lawsuit because this contract is definitely illegal. No date anywhere on the contract!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have been getting charged for both a rental and lease account for over 15 months. I have tried to reach someone to help for 15 months. I keep getting charged late fees. I can rarely reach a human and when I do they agree to help and then nothing gets done. Run... Don't stop at Pitney Bowes. There are other solutions for postage needs.

I have been getting charged for both a rental and lease account for over 15 months. I have tried to reach someone to help for 15 months. I keep getting charged late fees. I can rarely reach a human and when I do they agree to help and then nothing gets done. Run...don't stop at Pitney Bowes. There are other solutions for postage needs.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The following is a copy of the email I submitted to Pitney Bowes' management & support team in August 2017- : "I want to relay my concerns to see how a company of your stature handles it. We have been clients of PB for years now but no longer require your services for mailing since you have not been able to provide a seamless solution for those that no longer have phone landlines (we switched to VOIP phone systems which is internet based). It has been the most difficult and unorganized process to cancel & we do not get a direct answer from Customer support when we call as to what to expect in cancellation process.

I have cancelled all services both our Pitney & SendPro (trial) accounts because it is no longer working for us. This was done on 6/30. I then called on 7/25 to cancel the SendPro trial since it was not printing correctly even after speaking with tech support. On the last conversation I was promised that any postage left on Purchase Power Account would be refunded back to my Amex, and that the $48.15 auto payment on 7/25 would be refunded as I had cancelled on 6/30. I am still waiting to receive a shipping label to return your machine & have yet to hear from anyone in your company."

****I sent the above message by email to Pitney Bowes' corporate on Aug 8, 2017. This week on Feb 5th 2018 (yes 7 months after I cancelled in June 30th), we received a box with vague instructions on how to return the equipment & remove the postage from the meter. Again, I called support since the meter instructions are only for those that have a landline, I tried for 4 hours to speak with tech support & we even did a screen share to load the PC Meter connect software & download from the computer to the meter via USB. The system kept freezing time & time again after the updates would start.

I refuse to send back the equipment until I have some real person in management call me & refund my AMEX charges for the $221.83 of postage that is still in the meter. I am sure that if I just ship the equipment back I will never see my refund at all. In meantime, I'm messaging all sites on social media & internet to STAY AWAY FROM PITNEY BOWES. Use STAMPS.COM= they are simple & flawless application. I hope that this reaches the powers that be in Pitney Bowes for someone to actually have the decency to call me & discuss returning my money stuck on their equipment. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Tried to reach a salesperson for 18 months to get new equipment. After many emails and many phone calls where I was placed on hold for more than 25 minutes EACH TIME - I finally got someone to speak to and therefore canceled my lease. No one should ever not get a call back for more than 12 months. And now I am on hold for the 3rd time today trying to get the address in order to return the meter that you guys never serviced or even cared about until I say come and get it - I cannot even give you back your equipment.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Been a customer of PB for well over 13+ years. Someone from their sales department called in June 2017 to say our contract was almost up and wanted to negotiate a new contract. We did. What didn't happen is that this salesperson did not inform his billing department and they continued to bill me at our old contract rate. In trying to get this matter resolved, and it was NOT in a timely manner but over several weeks, we incurred a late fee which was literally their fault as I had to wait for resolution. They reluctantly waived this fee even though they were at fault. Today I received another late charge from these folks for an invoice that was paid on time but because of the holiday season wasn't recorded on their end until well over a week later.

I called again and was on hold for 45 minutes and never reached anyone by phone. I did the live chat, where the woman basically told me she will not waive the fee because we incurred one before, the one before being their fault. She was the nastiest person I have dealt with in quite some time. She was not interested in helping or resolving this issue and told me so. I am so incredibly disgusted with this company that when my contract is up I will NOT ever deal with this firm again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

They have the slowest billing and crediting department. I have sent in payments well before the due date and they say that it didn’t post to the account till after the due date. I was told that they have up to 10 business days to post the payment from when they receive it. I am sorry that is ** ridiculous. They are real quick to hit you with a 29.99 late fee also and real slow to credit it back if they say they will. Make sure you keep your confirmation numbers. You will need to reference back to them.

Resolution response: Jan. 19, 2018

I reported an ongoing problem we had been experiencing with Pitney Bowes. I have to say that I contacted the CEO by email, and he replied to me within a few minutes on his iPhone to say that he would pass on the problem to his staff. 1 day later I received a phone call to say that they have written off the debt and apologising for the problem. I was very impressed at the CEO taking the trouble to respond and action this, so very happy with them over the result.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We have been with Pitney Bowes for years, and because we are approaching retirement did not want to renew our machine. They persuaded us to have a used machine very cheaply and when the cartridge ran out we asked for a replacement. It came but when we put it in, it wouldn't work. Pitney Bowes said it must be the machine, and wanted over £200 for an engineer to come out. We said no we'd just send back the machine and the cartridge and end our agreement with them. They now still want to be paid over £200 for the cartridge which wouldn't work in the machine, because we opened the packing. We wouldn't have known the damn thing wouldn't work without trying it first! They are horrendous to deal with and do not listen. I would neither recommend them to anyone, nor touch them with a bargepole ever again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We purchased postage for our postage machine and we were never billed for the postage. We checked the online account and realized that we had an outstanding balance plus late fees and promptly paid the balance. Pitney Bowes said the payment was still late and charged another late fee and interest and we still never received an invoice for over 2 months. I tried to contact customer service by opening a case AND calling. I was never able to talk to actual customer service rep about our account, we only received an email stating that our account was overdue and to pay it. They have figured out how to get your money any way they can plus they have terrible customer service response!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

You only get 2 chances to print your labels on PBSendPro. If you pass your 2 chances to print and you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for refund... But the question is that there is no proof that PB actually reimburses you your refund and no real way of tracking it because it doesn't show a posting credit Amount to your existing balance sendpro acct. There is only a printed notation that "says" they've approved a refund to you on such a date. So you go to your postage acct balance and you cannot track that the transaction has really been applied. In the meantime, you're probably adding more postage by purchasing more to add to your acct so you can print more labels. I have called on just numerous occasions of "where is my refund" and just get the usual runaround... Go look under your history under shipping & postage. It still doesn't answer the question, that credit has really been applied??? This sounds all too ** to me.

Then there is the $15.00 monthly service fee, actually $15.60 (more added fees). When you go to print your labels e.g. Large flat-rate cost shows $17.05 but what is actually debited from your bank acct is an extra $.70 to send that package of $17.05 because your options to purchase more postage is in increments of $10.00 (plus .035 fee). To make up for any savings on this website, you'd have to be shipping out at least a hundred packages a month and then have fun dealing with "tracking your refund".

Here is another real bonus: if you send your addressees automatic email notice of shipment and it happens to be a label that doesn't print and you need to print another label, the person on the receiving end will receive the email alert and think there is an extra package with a different tracking no. heading their way. There is no notice from PB that this was a label was canceled and awaiting refund. What a headache! I'd rather pay USPS a bit more and deal with less nonsense. I really thought that I was saving but just not worth the headache!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Ordered a new Pitney Bowes SendPro C200 postage meter after having had a DM 300C model for at least a decade. Got the new machine but had to wait over a week for a tech to come out and install it. Enjoyed the features for about 6 weeks until last Monday when it stopped working. Initially told we would have a replacement machine out by Friday but now told our machine is on back order and techs have no clue when a machine will be available. Calling Pitney Bowes is a nightmare since the average call is 25-40 minutes before a person answers. Transferred to billing and on hold another 8 minutes. Being transferred to sales who is supposed to arrange for a replacement machine. Name and info given and then after transfer advised the person no longer works for the company. Had to call and leave a message for supervisor. The saga continues.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Have made several calls to Customer Service with a seemingly not too difficult question. Looking for some sort of report that shows postage balance at beginning of month, all activity during the month and postage balance at end of month. Finally on my 4th call to CS, 3 transfers to a different CS rep and 1 hour and 10 minutes of time, I received a not-so-satisfying answer. I'd switch away from PB if I felt there was someone better out there that we didn't have to sign a contract with and that had good reviews.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

We were approached by Pitney Bowes to upgrade our existing postage machine because our old lease was going to expired in a year and we could upgrade. What a mistake. Returned the old machine and received the new one. Now they have continued to bill us for the old machine (lease) that we returned for over a year. No one in this company is willing to help you, only passing your call to someone else. They don't return calls and have the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. Lesson learned. Will never deal with Pitney Bowes ever again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Pitney Bowes is beyond difficult to work with. We had a credit on a supply account because they posted our payment to the wrong account. Repeatedly we were told they would move the credit over. After months and countless hours, they charged the supply account with $180 dormant fee. We never opened the supply account and were never told of such a fee. They basically found a way to take our credit and not apply it appropriately. When we tried to cancel they told us we owed them over $1,000. You can't get a supervisor or real person. They just keep running you around. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! This is how they treat a customer of over 10 years!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have made a ConsumerAffairs account specifically to write a review regarding my experience with this company. Everything started when I stupidly opened a Pitney Bowes free trial without having any need for it as eBay shipping was exactly the same. After opening the account I can't stress enough I NEVER used the account or even logged in. When the trial finished I got notification that I was billed their monthly rate so I called in to say I never used the account and please cancel the account, a lady stated the account has been closed after I was transferred and put on hold 3 times each hold lasting a minimum of 35-45 minutes.

I was just happy I am done with them, but to my surprise 30 days letter got notification of another bill for another month and a late penalty putting my total that I owed at $88. Fuming I called in again, told them what I went through, I kindly stated please close this account I have NEVER EVER even logged in to it or used it, the lady stated they need to transfer me to a specialist and she did transfer me BACK to the original menu I used to get her on the line... WOW... I called back again tried again and this time around after I pleaded again to close the account half way while pleading with them the phone hanged up on me.

Currently I owe over 239.04$ to Pitney Bowes, having never used their service and simply signing up for a free trial and trying to promptly close my free trial... What can I say I feel SCAMMED to no avail, I feel depressed every time I see their bill thinking about how often I tried to cancel or close this account and no one cares to help me... Seems like employees are penalized if they close an account. I cannot believe this happened to me for one second from Pitney Bowes. Please avoid these people. There are much better options.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My department currently utilizes a postage meter from Pitney Bowes. Have found this company difficult to work with trying to get the meter repaired when it breaks is next to impossible. Customer service always says they will send a repair person but nothing gets done. If you are looking for a company that provides a good product in which customer satisfaction is valued then do not utilize this company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Dealing with Pitney Bowes to resolve an issue is a full time job. My company just rented a postage meter from PB (about 2 months ago) and in total, I have spent probably about 1 day on the phone - that is one day of being waiting on hold on the phone to be connected to a customer service rep. When I get connected, only once out of the 20 times I called my question was answered or issue resolved. All of the other times, I had to call back (and get on hold for about half an hour) until I speak with another incompetent customer rep.

Their callback service is completely useless. I tried it and when I get a callback, I am supposed to press 1 if I am on the line and I am ready to speak with a customer rep... well, that is a wishful thinking, when I pressed 1 on my phone, I get a message of incorrect entry. After 3 attempts of pressing 1 the call gets disconnected. I got 3 of these callbacks and not once my entry 1 was accepted. Super frustrating!!! Oh, and let me mention the reason for my latest attempt to contact PB... my credit card was charged $135 with no prior invoice and absolutely no explanation what is this for. Thank goodness for credit card chargebacks!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I had been a customer for many years. Charged a late fee even though I paid online on due date, gave excuse you have to pay online two days before it is due when I called. If that is the case they should make due date two days earlier. Terrible business practice!!! Not even sure if legal. I cancelled account and would NEVER recommend to anyone!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Pitney Bowes is unscrupulous. Even if you pay on the due date online, they still assess late fees. They claim you must pay two days in advance. I've never seen this done before. I understand Pitney Bowes is a dying business and they must do whatever they can to survive. But not on my dime.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

SCAMMERS!!! The worst company ever. DO NOT USE. PLEASE read all the bad reviews before leasing!!! Scammers. The postage machine is not worth it. I had it for my small business and ran into so many problems. Customer service is the worst. I was on hold for over half an hour. Then they said, "Leave your number and we will call you back" and never did. I cancelled the account and after they said, "You have a credit for postage for $150 that will go towards your rental" and closed my account. They still send me bills and said that they gave me free postage and I have to pay $150 instead of getting the credit for my postage. I talked to them for the past 6 months and all the employees are not educated and after saying your account is all paid in full they say, "No. You still have to pay." If I saw all their bad reviews I would have never used them. SCAMMERS.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Cost was to be $29 per quarter with discounted postage. Received the machine in April. It is August and we have been without postage for nearly a month. We are a small office and use VERY little postage. Have already spent well over $1,000. The wait on hold for customer service is ridiculous! Finding a phone number on the website difficult. They hold on to $500 for two weeks, still no postage. Call to find out there is a form they need completed and faxed back. Received a letter that says "It's that Easy" - with no mention of this form!! There is NOTHING EASY nor INEXPENSIVE about this!!! DO NOT USE PITNEY BOWES. We would have spent less having an employee drive around and hand deliver what we mailed!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Nightmare. When you add all their supply and rental charges, including improper ones, it costs about 1.25 to mail a 49 cent letter. When you try and cancel, you sit on hold, in my case almost an hour never reaching anyone before a disconnect. Their online chat help hung up on me. I opened 7 cases online. Several went a month with no response. Then they sent an email that they closed the online case "with my permission" although they didn't do anything or respond. When you contact the CEO his secretary, who sometimes signs things advocate, essentially sends screw you emails and says she won't help. Don't deal with PB. Licking stamps is better. And any of their competitors are better. I never thought a company could outdo Comcast, ATT and United in bad customer service but PB is the worst customer service experience in the world.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My postage machine which I rent from Pitney Bowes stopped working. I went online to my account on their website. I opened a 'Ticket' for customer service. I stated I want to close my account. I had had it with the poor performance. No one called or email me for 2 days. I called them. You have to verify who you are every time you are switched to a new rep. Name, address, phone, email, serial number, account number, company name.

When I finally got to the right person, 3 transfers later, they told me they don't take cancellations on the website. I told her IT DOESN'T STATE THAT anywhere on their website. What's the point of having a 'ticket' for help if they don't help every ticket and they don't tell you what they don't do?? In fact their website is very hard to navigate. Try finding a phone number to call them. They are worthless. They said I could cancel but there's a 30 day notice. I said, "That's great but my machine doesn't work, so why do I have to pay for 30 days with a machine that doesn't work." They said there's nothing they can do. I said, "Fine, send me a new machine I can use for the last 30 days." Got the machine and removed my postage from the old machine. $89. They said it would show up on my credit card in 7-10 days. (Why so long?)

Got the refund on the card... $86. They shorted me $3. Called to ask why. Was switched over to 3 people, again having to verify who I am each time, as if we were talking about the nuclear codes from White House... It's a freaking postage machine, get over yourself. Why do I have to verify so much each time?? I gave up because the person I got stuck with couldn't speak the English language well enough for me to understand him. I kept saying my credit was short by $3 and he kept saying, "You want to pay $3 for postage??" The customer service is awful. If they can't find a pre-printed answer for your question in their handbook they just tell you 'There's nothing I can do.' I went to Amazon and bought a postage scale for $20. Works great!

The post office is on my walk home, I stopped and bought $100 worth of stamps. The thought of never having to deal with Pitney Bowes again is so worth the minimal effort of peeling off a stamp and putting it on an envelope. If you have to use postage machine, google the service and find anyone else... You'll be sorry if you get stuck with the bad service and lack of care that I experienced with Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes Company Information