1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

120 Pitney Bowes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Absolutely the worst company to deal with EVER! One department doesn't know what's going on to the next. Takes forever to get anything resolved. Would never never never used this company again! Takes forever to get through automated system. Emails are never answered. Managers don't return calls. Absolute joke.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

This is the worst vendor our company ever had. For one, I believe that Pitney Bowes contracts lack sufficient disclosure. If you want to terminate a lease they want full payment until the end of the lease - no discount even for years in the future. Shouldn't this be clearly disclosed? They also make it impossible to return a meter without their permission by hiding the return location. Try to find this online. (FYI the location I was given is Pitney Bowes Direct Returns; Dock Doors 34, 5490 Industrial Court, Suite #100, Whitestown, IN 46075-8808. Their procedure is to charge $54 to send you a return box!)

In my experience they put me in contact with finance people who continually miscalculated the remaining payments. Higher of course. When I tried to correct them they dug in and sent a preemptive threatening letter as though I was going to default. How nice. I ended up keeping my meter until 90 days before the end of the lease and asked to return it on the website. No response. After 30 days I went back and saw that it was being "researched." When I tried to click on the explanation the website said that this section was temporarily unavailable. It continued to stay Unavailable. All in all it's like dealing with a criminal enterprise. Customers be damned!

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Every transaction includes fees, including charging for credit card transactions. They tell you to cancel the service/subscription online, then block you from doing so. They make you go through 3 calls and wait time between each call.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

As an avid user of eBay lately especially when ordering from the UK it has become the only option to have the goods delivered via Pitney Bowes. It takes 3-4 weeks for a simple delivery to reach me. That's longer than stuff usually takes to come from China! The worst of all is there is no usable tracking number that would work here in Finland when the delivery has entered the country. For comparison Royal Mail often delivers in 3-4 days from the UK to Finland with a proper tracking number. The service just dismal is all I can say.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Manipulative, Hidden "contract" terms, money-hungry. I literally hate this company. I am finally at the end of a 3-year contract (which I feel I was tricked into). Should I have read the contract more clearly? Certainly. But when you can't count on the "kind" sales people on the line to give you the full story as they upsell you and "fix" things so that your fees aren't so unreasonably high... I'm sorry, I will NEVER do business with this company again. Be straight up about your policies. Be clear about your fees -- ALL of them. It's not so hard to work with a customer. I feel used and abused.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

In reading the reviews related to Pitney Bowes, it was comforting to know that so many people have experienced this horrible company and that I wasn't being singled out by the company to deliver the worst service and support to on the planet. I'm a commercial mailer mailing well over a half of a million pieces of mail a year. Their fees, cost of supplies, service and support are mind boggling. I have many pieces of their equipment that I own or lease from them. Every piece of equipment I have is either covered under my lease, or I have a maintenance agreement on to cover repairs and service on. Yet, they have over the years continually sent out repair invoices for repairs. Sometimes it takes me 6 months and 6 phone calls to resolve it.

Many times I'm resolving multiple invoices at one time. Just this month, they tried to run a repair bill through on my postage statement, something they have never done before as it is totally a different account from leases and equipment. Their philosophy seems to be wear the customer down and maybe they will pay it. Their fees and cost of supplies are going up every month. A cartridge for my posting machine was $189 a few years ago, this month they increased it $10 over last month's price, now at $312. We once got over 20,000 pieces through with one cartridge, we were only able to get 15,000 from the last one. I can tell you from experience, never, never believe one of their sales reps. I hang up on them now if one should call me. I cannot tell you enough to stay away from this terrible company at all cost, you WILL regret it. My time is about up with them, I can't wait.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Year after year Pitney Bowes staff or their computer system could not get my payments applied to the correct invoices and year after year I wasted time sending proof of payment over and over with no results. My Cases were resolved almost a year after they started and payment finally applied after I just got fed up and canceled. I can't believe the long hold times, 45 minutes just to send them payment information I had already sent. I was charged a late fee after late fee on invoices I had paid on time. It's a joke.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Have yet to have a positive experience with Pitney Bowes for the past 7 years. I set up "paperless" invoicing several months ago WITH email alerts. I did this because I was receiving their paper bills way to close to the due date (hmm could that be by design?) and could not get them processed through my AP department and in the mail timely enough, incurring constant late fees. There were times I did get them in the mail with a week to spare, and of course they received my payment ONE day after the due date. Another late fee.

Most recently I am not getting these email alerts to notify me when an invoice is ready on their website. I called about this, and the rep told me everything was fixed and ready to go. After still NOT receiving email alerts, I created a case. They responded by sending me instructions on how to set up email alerts. Either they have terribly unqualified people, or they just plain think their customers are not worth their time. So now I resort to checking the website each month to see if there's a bill ready.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If I could rate Pitney Bowes a zero I would. Very disappointing experiences with customer service that completely outweigh any benefits the actual meter may have over its competitors. The account rep selling us the lease was good, but disappeared as soon as the contract was signed. I reached out to him multiple times about the Purchase Power account, and he didn't even reply or respond.

The fees and finance charges are ridiculous. I set one account for autopay to avoid fees, and PB attached it to the lease instead of the postage account. So they had a $1000 credit on one account while they were charging me late fees and finance charges on the account they were supposed to credit. I disputed the charges multiple times through the web case support, phone, and email but since they applied my postage payment to the late fees, they said I'd paid the fees so I couldn't dispute them. When I persisted they sent me a "refund" check that they deducted from the postage I had already paid for, resulting in even more fees.

It has been an incredibly frustrating 6 months we've been with them. Service reps become rude as soon as I say I don't agree with their "resolution" that their fees are correct - this was their error they charged fees for. They turn me over to a supervisor who never contacts me, then close the case with the resolution that's best for them. Very short sighted business model. When I set the lease payment up for autopay, the payment was made by them, on time, and they still charged me a late fee 2 days after the payment was made.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

PB's customer service people are rude. PB requires multiple year contract and will not release you without complete payout and early termination penalties. Renewal information is sent for months and if you pay it you are stuck in a contract again. Horrible and frustrating company.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Five years ago I signed up with Pitney Bowes as the salesperson showed me how much I would be saving. Turns out he left the company immediately and nothing was as he said. Costs shot up and service was scarce. Finally replaced with a newer model and I fell for the pitch again. (Shame on me.) The full size toner I was told, based on my volume, would last nearly 1 year is out after 10 weeks. Customer service will only offer to ship me a new one for $110 - but that one should last longer. Right. Worst vendor I have worked with in the last 27 years. DO NOT CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

For 4 years I received non-existent customer service but had the supplies replenishment "department" basically stalking me every 2 weeks. I literally had to block their number. When my mailing volume changed, I requested a smaller meter with perhaps a lower monthly payment and was told that they don't provide that service. At all. When I finally required information on cancelling my account and lease duration, I couldn't get through to anyone. After 4 phone calls, each lasting at least an hour, in the attempt to speak to a representative about cancelling my account, I received absolutely no information and no return calls when I left messages. All emails were returned undeliverable. I finally stopped paying the bill and told their collections department I wouldn't be sending any payments until they had a representative contact me about my account. Still NOTHING!

On my 5th phone call I finally got through to a representative who took my information and informed me that he would have to see if I was allowed to cancel my lease contract. Upon escalation to yet another "department", I was told that I absolutely could not cancel my lease whatsoever, even though the postage meter did not work and they were not going to fix it. They would not even allow me to ship the machine back to them until my lease expires in 10 months. I even offered to pay out the lease and they still refused to cancel my account! This has been the absolute worst company to deal with, longest 4 years and 2 months of my entire life. This has been the worst break up I've ever had... It's not me Pitney Bowes, it's definitely you. "It's a real shame that postage meters will never make a miraculous comeback..." said nobody. EVER. Especially your customers. And even if they did, I'd rather take my chances with a carrier pigeon.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Our DM125/225 meter "ran out" of ink two years in a row on the same exact date. One year we mailed 1500-1700 pieces. The second year was less than 700 pieces. Allegedly the ink cartridge is supposed to last for at least 1000 pieces. The ink cartridges cost $104 USD and are only supposed to last 1000 mail pieces. It's only printing a meter stamp. Conversely, our HP toner cartridges cost $150 and print 6,000 full-size sheets.

Every little accessory for the meter is way overpriced and is a specialty item that can only be obtained through Pitney Bowes. You can buy off-brand meter ink elsewhere, but according to the reviews the off-brand doesn't consistently work with the meter so you're still stuck with Pitney Bowes. If you don't pay for the support contract, they'll charge you $500 for a support tech to come out to your meter - even if the issue is on their end. When our lease is up I think we're going to switch to **. It's only $15/month plus the cost of postage and you can use your own printer.

Original review: June 29, 2018

More than 15 months after we cancelled our contract - paid the lease cancellation fees - returned the equipment -- we are still getting random bills from the company. And they are random - I cannot even figure out why we go for months between them. Someone find Pitney Bowes a good systems analyst and clean up the company's very lax policies. Buyer beware on this company.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We recently upgraded a machine and contract. It took weeks for them to get the new machine operational. We were continued to be billed on a closed contract. Now we are getting multiple invoice and no one will speak to me via phone. You have to submit your concern into a system and the first question was a four week delay and they responded to question I didn't even ask! Now it's happened a second time. I'm ready to write the check and cancel the contract. I'd rather take mail to the local post office than to work with this company. In three months I've made probably 25 calls not to mention the emails. This company is ridiculous... And they don't seem to care at all. They have the market! Wake up America.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cancelled my personal postage meter. Requested box to return their crap and an Authorized Return Shipping Label. That took over 6 months to accomplish. Sent a certified letter to the VP of Customer Service. That person never bothered to call me or anything, but did manage to set up a "ticket" in their system. Wow, that helped! NOT. After persistent calling and nagging I finally got the box to ship back their "crap". Now, another 6 months later, I am still awaiting my Purchase Power refund. This is an out and out joke. I am thinking, seriously, about suing them. Never thought I would have to go that route, but it is now the principle of the fight!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been a Pitney Bowes customer for over 5 years now and don't know why I stay with them! Must be due to the contract and the outrageous fees for getting out of the contract! Their customer service is horrific! Not only are they rude, but they don't make any sense! I have to call them every time I get my invoice for the lease. They either overcharge me, add on late fees or they are sending me refunds!!! They never know what is going on and they are coughing and hacking into the phone not to mention it took me over 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone! As a business owner, time is so important but they don't seem to get it! Looking forward for my lease to be up and to use someone else!

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have had the same leased postage machine for over 11 years now. I have had so many issues with their billing and customer service. The machine had to have some parts replaced recently. The tech fixed it and left. A few days later, I get an invoice for over $500 for the replaced parts & service call. I called and was never able to talk to a live person so I went online and emailed them. After 4 weeks, I emailed them again. Another month goes by and now we are receiving invoices with late fees. Yet another month goes by and I. AM. Fuming.

I log into the website and see that the invoice has been credited. No phone call, no email, no apology. I guess I should be thankful that we were credited but seeing as this was not the first time they have tacked on charges for stuff (ie ValueMax, and the stupid overage fees for purchase power, the extremely aggressive late fees). Beware of their contracts - they are not upfront about anything and hide renewal dates, etc.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have called the customer service many time and they still could not resolve my issue. The customer service people are rude. Such a waste of time. They need to realize that most of the people that uses their service are business owners and have no time to waste calling their useless call centers. I called in because I keep getting phone calls that my account is past due and this is after I already set up my auto pay online. I called them to fix it and this lady put me on hold for 25 mins and the next person who answered the phone is just as useless as the first one. I wasted 40 minutes of my time for nothing.

Original review: March 19, 2018

eBay's "global shipping" is overseen by Pitney Bowes and it is a complete ripoff. They claim to pay non-existent import fees on items like used clothing and they subcontract terrible companies like GLS (gls-group.eu) who routinely steal packages and falsify tracking information. I have spent nearly an hour, every day, for the last eight days trying to learn the truth about an item that I purchased nearly a month ago. Pitney Bowes' fake global shipping added to the cost of shipping so that it was more than twice what I paid for the item. And then they "lost" my package and recorded it as delivered, although they have no proof, no signature, zero evidence that the package was delivered. Furthermore, I have yet to receive a refund. Minimize the unhappiness in your life and refuse to use Pitney Bowes' global shipping.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We leased a Mailing Machine from Pitney Bowes and they locked us into a five year Contract. We were not able to use enough postage to justify the expense and the cancellation fee was outrageous. The Contract finally ran out and I have spent two months trying to give the Machine back. I have sent several emails and left several voicemail messages and nobody will get back to me. I am now receiving messages stating that we owe them more money and that it is 78 days past due. Of course, they do not leave a contact phone number or name. I can barely make out the message because the person barely speaks English. I HATE PITNEY BOWES!!! I HAVE NEVER HATED DEALING WITH A COMPANY SO MUCH! They make Rogers look like Company of the Year!

Resolution response: March 15, 2018

I have received an email from Pitney Bowes after putting the story on Facebook and they are looking into the missing dolls.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I received a parcel from the USA. It had been opened and resealed by Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Program. There should have been five dolls in it. They are five inches tall but there were only two. Where are the other three, they cost me quite a lot of money with shipping and import duty. I am very disappointed as they were for my two great granddaughters.

Original review: March 14, 2018

This Company has terrible customer service. They do not care at all for their customers. Clear lack of training to the customer service agents, The Customer Service Agent Alex Employee # **, Does not know how to provide adequate customer service, strictly reads from a script and tries to swindle $1400 from companies for items and services not used without explanation for why the said amount is owed and yet not on the machines. She then refuses to get a supervisor or management to assist in the situation. I recommend you find some other company to do business with in regards to mailing equipment and postage meters.

Original review: March 6, 2018

As we started to close down and move our offices out of California I got in touch with Pitney Bowes to start the process to return our postage meter we had had for more than a dozen years only to find out the contract had more than a year left on it. Found out that when the Pitney Bowes SALES REP pressured me into signing a contract in December of 2016 (and I stupidly thought it was for 2017) the contract was actually for the year 2018. No date on the contract anywhere except the date of signature which was January 2017. The only indication of the period of the contract is the small print which states "if you already have a contract in place then this contract is for the following period." So because I had already a Pitney Bowes contract in place for 2017, which was not mentioned to me by the salesman, the contract I signed in January of 2017 was actually for the year 2018.

I knew we were moving at the beginning of 2018 so kept emailing Pitney Bowes that our 2018 lease would be month to month. I would never sign a contract for more than 12 months in advance of the annual contract period. SHAME ON YOU PITNEY BOWES. The worst thing about Pitney Bowes is that in the 12 times either I or my assistant phoned Pitney Bowes we were on hold for more than 30 minutes, usually more than 45 minutes. Very bad customer support. If I wanted to opt out of the contract not only did I need to pay the entire years lease fee but an additional $300+ penalty for cancelling early, HUGH??? I would join in on any class action lawsuit because this contract is definitely illegal. No date anywhere on the contract!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have been getting charged for both a rental and lease account for over 15 months. I have tried to reach someone to help for 15 months. I keep getting charged late fees. I can rarely reach a human and when I do they agree to help and then nothing gets done. Run... Don't stop at Pitney Bowes. There are other solutions for postage needs.

I have been getting charged for both a rental and lease account for over 15 months. I have tried to reach someone to help for 15 months. I keep getting charged late fees. I can rarely reach a human and when I do they agree to help and then nothing gets done. Run...don't stop at Pitney Bowes. There are other solutions for postage needs.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The following is a copy of the email I submitted to Pitney Bowes' management & support team in August 2017- : "I want to relay my concerns to see how a company of your stature handles it. We have been clients of PB for years now but no longer require your services for mailing since you have not been able to provide a seamless solution for those that no longer have phone landlines (we switched to VOIP phone systems which is internet based). It has been the most difficult and unorganized process to cancel & we do not get a direct answer from Customer support when we call as to what to expect in cancellation process.

I have cancelled all services both our Pitney & SendPro (trial) accounts because it is no longer working for us. This was done on 6/30. I then called on 7/25 to cancel the SendPro trial since it was not printing correctly even after speaking with tech support. On the last conversation I was promised that any postage left on Purchase Power Account would be refunded back to my Amex, and that the $48.15 auto payment on 7/25 would be refunded as I had cancelled on 6/30. I am still waiting to receive a shipping label to return your machine & have yet to hear from anyone in your company."

****I sent the above message by email to Pitney Bowes' corporate on Aug 8, 2017. This week on Feb 5th 2018 (yes 7 months after I cancelled in June 30th), we received a box with vague instructions on how to return the equipment & remove the postage from the meter. Again, I called support since the meter instructions are only for those that have a landline, I tried for 4 hours to speak with tech support & we even did a screen share to load the PC Meter connect software & download from the computer to the meter via USB. The system kept freezing time & time again after the updates would start.

I refuse to send back the equipment until I have some real person in management call me & refund my AMEX charges for the $221.83 of postage that is still in the meter. I am sure that if I just ship the equipment back I will never see my refund at all. In meantime, I'm messaging all sites on social media & internet to STAY AWAY FROM PITNEY BOWES. Use STAMPS.COM= they are simple & flawless application. I hope that this reaches the powers that be in Pitney Bowes for someone to actually have the decency to call me & discuss returning my money stuck on their equipment. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Tried to reach a salesperson for 18 months to get new equipment. After many emails and many phone calls where I was placed on hold for more than 25 minutes EACH TIME - I finally got someone to speak to and therefore canceled my lease. No one should ever not get a call back for more than 12 months. And now I am on hold for the 3rd time today trying to get the address in order to return the meter that you guys never serviced or even cared about until I say come and get it - I cannot even give you back your equipment.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Been a customer of PB for well over 13+ years. Someone from their sales department called in June 2017 to say our contract was almost up and wanted to negotiate a new contract. We did. What didn't happen is that this salesperson did not inform his billing department and they continued to bill me at our old contract rate. In trying to get this matter resolved, and it was NOT in a timely manner but over several weeks, we incurred a late fee which was literally their fault as I had to wait for resolution. They reluctantly waived this fee even though they were at fault. Today I received another late charge from these folks for an invoice that was paid on time but because of the holiday season wasn't recorded on their end until well over a week later.

I called again and was on hold for 45 minutes and never reached anyone by phone. I did the live chat, where the woman basically told me she will not waive the fee because we incurred one before, the one before being their fault. She was the nastiest person I have dealt with in quite some time. She was not interested in helping or resolving this issue and told me so. I am so incredibly disgusted with this company that when my contract is up I will NOT ever deal with this firm again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

They have the slowest billing and crediting department. I have sent in payments well before the due date and they say that it didn’t post to the account till after the due date. I was told that they have up to 10 business days to post the payment from when they receive it. I am sorry that is ** ridiculous. They are real quick to hit you with a 29.99 late fee also and real slow to credit it back if they say they will. Make sure you keep your confirmation numbers. You will need to reference back to them.

Resolution response: Jan. 19, 2018

I reported an ongoing problem we had been experiencing with Pitney Bowes. I have to say that I contacted the CEO by email, and he replied to me within a few minutes on his iPhone to say that he would pass on the problem to his staff. 1 day later I received a phone call to say that they have written off the debt and apologising for the problem. I was very impressed at the CEO taking the trouble to respond and action this, so very happy with them over the result.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We have been with Pitney Bowes for years, and because we are approaching retirement did not want to renew our machine. They persuaded us to have a used machine very cheaply and when the cartridge ran out we asked for a replacement. It came but when we put it in, it wouldn't work. Pitney Bowes said it must be the machine, and wanted over £200 for an engineer to come out. We said no we'd just send back the machine and the cartridge and end our agreement with them. They now still want to be paid over £200 for the cartridge which wouldn't work in the machine, because we opened the packing. We wouldn't have known the damn thing wouldn't work without trying it first! They are horrendous to deal with and do not listen. I would neither recommend them to anyone, nor touch them with a bargepole ever again.

Pitney Bowes Company Information