Pitney Bowes

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I work for a multi-million-dollar company. I have never received such bad customer service. Hours spent on hold for customer service only to have problem unresolved; postage never downloads on the first try; re-billed for six months of my lease that was already paid and after months of not correcting it, waiting on hold, and accruing interest, I finally had to pay this to close my account. Ripoff, scam, horrible customer service. Please do your research and use a legitimate local company.

I truly wish I had the time to contact the CEO directly - but alas, all my extra time this week was spent dealing with PB so-called customer service. Our new meter came without a sealer - and they are not available to purchase online. It would take me an hour to outline my experience in detail but here's the gist: After 1 hour on hold yesterday, I explained to the nice lady who finally answered the phone that I could not hold any longer as I was late for a business meeting. She assured me she would find an answer to my need. Later I received an email from her saying she had forwarded my request to someone in Leasing.

Today I received a call from that gentleman who told me I would need to call the 'supply line.' I explained I had been on hold with that group for an hour the day before. His response was, "There's not much I can do about that." I AM NOT KIDDING, that's what he said! Ha! I asked if he was sure that item could not be ordered online - his response was "I don't know, I never go on our website." AHAHAHA! You can't make up this stuff! His name was Dale and he's in the PB leasing dept. He ended up getting someone else to help him look online and confirmed that the item was not available there. He gave me the number for the supply line, which I already had - I guess so that I could call them and be placed on hold again for another hour, only to be told I'd need to speak to someone in Leasing. ACK!

I had a trial of a Smart Postage account which I never used because the rates were not anything special. When I tried to cancel the account, I received an email saying that they had received a cancellation request, and I thought it was settled. Come to find out 6 months later I'm still being charged for their monthly subscription fee.

To begin with we clearly had a mis-sell for two items of equipment to a member of our staff. No clear indication of the built in insurance mechanism and rate. Out of date equipment at a very bad lease rate. Years later... Canceled our franking machine service in 2014 which became surplus to requirement and term ended. Numerous deals and offers which was annoying. No record of collection of equipment by PB. Notice given in 2016. Notices ignored. Outsourced customer service call centres in the Philippines. The worst service (courteous yes, but without a clue...) ever and endless call waiting. Customer service in Harlow didn't deal with the matter until called two weeks after they were told.

This company seems to thrive on auto renewal and - I suspect - know what's happening. It take a lot to cancel or give notice when your lease term comes up, and it's made more difficult by its operators. The equipment has not been collected and should have been at agreement end (June 2016). Valuable space taken up by equipment. I've wasted so many hours trying to get some sense out of them... This global corporation has lost sight of its customers in the UK.

This is the worst company to do business with. They kept sending me machine after machine and none of them worked, they would not send anyone out to try and help figure out the problem. I returned all of their equipment promptly. They still tried to hold me to a lease and make me pay them almost $2,000. I finally ended up paying them $200 that we agreed upon to close the account. After trying to get this closed for 8 months I thought I was done. They still keep calling, emailing and sending me bills in the mail. If you call their customer service line you get someone outside of the US that doesn't speak English very well and just reads scripts, they have no idea how the meters work. They are a very poorly run company that you should avoid entirely.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Do not use this company. If you try to cancel the "service" and return the machine you are on hold for nearly 4-6 hours without anyone actually contacting you or you get disconnected. They will also not respond to their "tickets" for up to 2 weeks when you are frustrated at the poor service. You also cannot get anyone to speak with about billing problems, but when they want to sell you something you get fast responses.

Hello, I want to share my experience with Pitney Bowes. There is guy name James ** is fraud. I have cancelled the order right after next day and I have 30 days peace of mind period but I cancel the order next day. I didn't use even a single postage of that machine, but company sent me bill to pay. I have tried to contact them many times but no response at all. I don't recommend this company and James **.

Pitney Bowes is even worse to deal with than Comcast and that is saying a lot. Their billing is consistently wrong. They don't send the invoice in a timely manner, we pay it immediately, but then they charge us an astronomical late charge when the reason we are late is because they don't send the invoice. Reaching Customer Service is near impossible. I had a 32 minute wait, was asked to put in a call back number, which I did. When they called me back, I was put on hold on the call back while I waited for "the next available rep." Then the rep tells me she will see what she can do and leaves me on hold another 15 minutes. Then they proceed to try to sell me more supplies while I'm trying to get the current mess fixed. They tell you they've fixed a problem and then on the next invoice, you still have the problem.

In addition, I've heard for the last 8 months that they've had "system changes" and that is why it is messed up. Good grief, if you can't fix it in 8 months, you don't need to be selling equipment. They literally make me want to beat my head against the wall. I can't wait for the lease to expire. I would never, ever do business with them again!

In October we realized we could not get a phone line to add postage to our meter. I called several times. Created a case online. Spoke with someone in broken English as he asked me to unplug the machine. Finally they agreed to send a service tech. Waited all day. Tech called and asked if we had digital phone lines. Stated we had recently switched. Tech said we can't get a dial tone with digital lines. He didn't come out. We decided to cancel. After several long phone calls, nobody understanding, 3 long letters written, multiple emails and "cases created" they finally offered us a crazy amount to cancel our lease early. We negotiated and finally settled on almost $1,000. I am still waiting for the label to return the machine.

In the meantime - Pitney Purchase Power sends me a bill for a 2 hour service call plus travel time. I call - get too long of a hold time, so send another letter. Today I called to check on this bill. Now they've add $48.89 in finance charges and late fees to the bogus service call bill - saying we owe almost $400 on a bogus bill. In broken english the worker apologizes, says her system isn't working, says all supervisors are at lunch, then agrees to waive the late fee, but is not authorized to waive the bogus service fee - again I hold, call is now about 40 minutes long - then she transfers me - and it disconnects - line is dead as a doornail.

I just don't have the heart to pick up the phone again. I hate this company. They will not answer a letter. They will not answer an email. And to top it off - some guy named "Nick" in supplies called ME today - saying their records show we might be out of red ink! Really? You care about THAT - but not about sending me the label to return this machine after $1,000 payment - or the bogus $400 charges for a service call. I asked him if he could give me someone - a live person - to help me - "no, I am just in the supplies department." And he hung up. Unbelievable. Avoid this company. I'm thinking our lawyer needs to get involved - maybe a CLASS ACTION SUIT would open their eyes! Any law firms out there???

I came late into the Pitney Bowes experience, only needing to deal with them when cancelling our account as we went with a less expensive postage machine and company. They are absolutely impossible to get a hold of, and when I finally did reach someone, I would be transferred and sit on hold for 30-40 minute blocks of time. Went through their on-line trouble ticket, since I couldn't get anyone by phone - absolutely no help. The only response I've received from them is a survey asking me to review their online service. You have got to be kidding! Still no resolution to my problem of returning their postage equipment. Because, of course, I can't just return it. I "must have authorization and guidelines for returning it". If I can help it, I will never again, as long as I draw breath, deal with this company. They should be ashamed of themselves!

This is the WORST company I have ever had the misfortune to ever work with (and I use work with lightly). The wait times are astronomical and the customer service is sub par at best; and the worst part is, I'm out of my contract and I can't get anyone to answer my questions on why my return label and box haven't been delivered. I have been trying for weeks to get a billing manager to call me with no return. I have threatened to file a BBB report and still I'm not taken seriously. What you have successfully done is tied my hands and now I'm contacting my attorney. I have 4 offices 2 are out of contract and 2 have a few months left. I want out of the last 2 contracts ASAP and to be done with you people. This has been going on since April of 2016 before you switched your computer system over. This is unacceptable!

I have been trying for weeks to discuss our account and get nowhere. I have spoken to so many people and get a different answer each time. NO ONE ever returns a phone call. Says it takes 60 days to cancel an account. They are run like a business that is just about money. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. We have been with them for 20 years. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I'm sure there are better options out there... or better yet... go back to the old fashioned stamp!!

I was a customer of Pitney Bowes since October of 2007. I canceled my service in August of 2016, had to wait until October of 2016 to receive the box to ship the meter back to them, and continue to get a bill monthly for the rental fees. Every month I have to call and re-open the same case number and assured it will be corrected - but it isn't. I have read the complaints against Pitney Bowes, experienced most of it, and I am just incredibly frustrated that I have had to put so much time and effort into canceling this account for lousy $15.90 monthly charge. Their supplies and ink prices are ridiculously high. I was paying almost $65 a cartridge that I subsequently found on Amazon for $15 - for 3 cartridges. I nor the post office had any problem with the cheaper ink.

Their new phone system is the worst. I decided to cancel my account earlier this year when the company required all customer account activity to be handled through a customer electronic account on their website. I was unsuccessful in setting up a recurring payment and a Pitney Bowes representative was unable to enter this information for me. Surprisingly, they could not take a payment from me over the phone. Their telephone representatives have no ability to adjust or correct anything dealing with a customer account. My recommendation to a business looking for a postage meter, find another company.

This has been a nightmare. They constantly bill incorrectly. It takes hours of being on hold and calls back to resolve these issues. I have had 6 issues with billing -- all their fault -- in 4 years. One issue took 2 months of back and forth to clear up. They did credit my account with a generous postage sum at one point because I had called over 11 times on the same issue. The people are sweet, but it's just run terribly!

Let's start with saying I am a new customer, less than 1 year. Ordered a K7M0 machine, and thought it would be smart to order an ink cartridge in case I ran out. 6 months later, I needed to replace the cartridge and realized PB sent the wrong cartridge. Called PB, they told me they would not accept the return, as it was more than 30 days! Appealed to a supervisor, no was the answer.

Let's talk about their 'late fees' next. I am in the Philadelphia suburbs and their remittance address in in Pittsburgh. Maybe 2 days mail delivery, tops. But I take no chances and give it a minimum of 7 days, and it STILL does not get there in time, according to PB. Yes, I get whacked $29,99 and they won't hear anything else. In order to remedy, I now spend $6.45 on 2 day priority to pay my bill to a mailing services company so they will not rip me off. How ironic is that? Can anyone give advice on the best way to get out of this agreement?

We have been struggling with Pitney Bowes for the past 10 months trying to have billing questions and late fees reviewed. Unfortunately, they just do not care about small business accounts. We have left countless messages, spoke with representatives who promise to investigate and return calls, unanswered emails along with average hold times of 1 hour+++. When our contract expires we will not renew. The worst service imaginable!!

We have several location that had Pitney Bowes postal meters. They misapplied payment and charged late fees & finance charges when they cashed our check well before the due dates. I have been trying to clear our account since July and still get no answers. If you log a "case" they simply close the case without resolving it. Very dysfunctional and shady company. Avoid doing business with Pitney Bowes!

Do not use this company - there is no customer service at all. My online account with them did not work since March 2016 - they say they are implementing a new system. Phone calls - get a message due to all volume they can't take my call. Email is only way and SLOW. Due to no service (except from SALES!!!) I did not renew my contract, I have email proof that it is canceled. Months later I get dunning letters and robot phone calls saying I owe the next lease payment. Phone call offers options to pay but when I select customer service I get the above message. If you want great equipment but no service, choose PB. We switched to FP Mailing (FP Postalia) as their equipment seemed to be closest in performance, but I have to say it is very frustrating to use compared to Pitney Bowes, so sadly I don't recommend their equipment but their service is great.

This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. I have been trying to return equipment since last June. I am on my 3rd phone call this week trying to pay the return fee of $100.00 and have now been on hold for over 30 minutes. I gave up on the first 2 calls. Their phone system is ridiculous, their billing is insane and the employees that I have spoken with are inept and unqualified to solve a problem of how to tie a shoe lace. Do yourselves a favor, DO NOT deal with this company in any capacity.

I was on the phone for over an hour with them and got transferred to different places. I was charged for their machine which I don't even have in my office. Bad service, bad all around. I'm very upset with this company.

We've used Pitney Bowes for postage calculation and payment for a year or more. We're supposed to be invoiced monthly and pay for monthly usage and rental fees. However, we only receive invoices every 2 or 3 months and then they have late fees added. I've tried to get it set up so that monthly fees are charged automatically to a company credit card on file, but I cannot log into their system to complete the setup. When I attempt to log on, I get a message that the password is no good, so I click on a place that is supposed to send an e-mail that would allow me to reset the password. However no e-mail ever comes. I've tried to reach them via phone and find that their automated attendant just goes into menu after menu and none of the menus are for help with web issues.

So then I go to the selection to discontinue service and there get a message saying that there is a half hour wait to talk with a representative to discontinue services and that I should log on the web and handle it there. How can I log in on the web when that's my problem to begin with? I sincerely believe that the absence of regular monthly invoices is for the purpose of adding late fees, and the inability to actually contact anyone whether by web or phone is so that they can keep dragging you along having to pay lots of extra fees... I have a feeling that someone at a high level in the company belongs in prison and owes a lot of $ back to their customers. I STRONGLY recommend you don't enter into any sort of business relationship with Pitney Bowes!

We have been a customer of Pitney Bowes for several years. Our needs recently increased, so we need to upgrade our machines. I contacted PB via chat, but I don't think anyone is actually on the other end, it just said "waiting" for hours. Next I tried via phone, and luckily I was able to leave a callback number and not wait the estimated hour and 45 minutes on hold. I was given the contact information of our rep, so I sent her an email. A few days later, I hadn't heard back, so I called and left a message. No response. I called again and left another message. No response.

After my third message, I did get a callback, and a cursory "I was out of the office for a few days." I described what our needs were, and asked when our contract was up so we could upgrade our machine. She told me that our contract was already complete, and we could renew with a new device now. She sent me a quote shortly afterward, for a rather high amount and a strange 63 month term. We use another vendor at another office I support, so I contacted them as well to see what they could offer. I was quoted a 25% lower price with a shorter contract, so I ordered a new machine with that company.

I called PB to cancel our existing meter, and the rep said, "Your contract doesn't expire for another three months." "I was just told by our rep that the contract had already been fulfilled and we were due for an upgrade, so I ordered a new machine with a different company." "That was incorrect. They say that all the time." "That seems very misleading." *silence* "Call this number to cancel in January and they will send you a box to return the unit. Have a nice day."

The money is not an issue. It's just a few hundred dollars because luckily we are almost at the end of our contract. What I cannot believe is the sheer audacity of straight up telling me, "We lied. What are you going to do?" No guise of someone making a mistake and trying to correct it. No apology. Just telling me it is their practice to lie to their long time clients. I am so glad to be done with this company, and from the other reviews, it seems I am in good company.

Pitney Bowes sent me a meter to try for a trial period. I never used the meter and called in and requested that the meter be returned before the trial period ended; however, they took three months to process and began charging me for the lease. I have called over 6 times and was assured each time that the balance due would be removed and that the return instructions would be forthcoming. About 6 weeks ago, I finally got someone to send the return instructions. The issue now is that it doesn't show that I sent the meter back and they are still saying that I have a bills past due. One of which says I'm 98 days past due! They are threatening to report to the credit bureau.

I called today October 25, 2016, to complain, and I was met with ineptitude from the customer service representative and his supervisor, Mellissa (ID#: **). Towards the end of the call, I was able to explain my displeasure with the organization without interruption. It was then that I was given an explanation as to why their system is so flawed. They have switched systems and are running into transition problems from one system to another. A Purchase Power Complaint Case # ** has been issued by Pitney Bowes to rectify this situation; however, I was informed that it could take two billing cycles (2 months)!

My General Manager purchased a Pitney Bowes Postage Small Office Series Mailstation2 (K67MO Model) for our company's postage. Pitney Bowes changed to a new machine (the old one worked perfectly, never any problems). The new machine constantly has issues and will not print postage. He was informed that he needed to spend $179.00 to get out of the contract. Each time he calls he spends over an hour on the phone waiting to speak to customer service. Today he is on the phone for over an hour while he goes to the post office to pay for postage, and disappointingly, there is $500.00 worth of postage on the Pitney Bowes Postage Machine here at the office.

I spent $70,000 cash buying a system with Smartmailer, two dysfunctional printers, and other stuff to do my own direct mail. Because of the almost constant breakdowns, almost non-existent service, and a billing department that simply NEVER cooperates to achieve accuracy, I was forced to literally sell my system two years later. I do weekly mailings. I'm a doctor. It's how I advertise. Literally the breakdown of their products and services resulted in almost half the time, I didn't even get mailers out. It almost bankrupted the business. Sorry, sorry, sorry company, products, and service.

Then after I quit using, I currently have my account billed up to almost another $10,000 in 3 months on products/services I did not order nor give approval for. They NEVER credit it, NEVER fix it even though their reps say they will, and this is a Ground Hog Day it seems I'll never outlive. If you're thinking about using them in ANY capacity, my advice is simple. Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT. You will regret it over and over.

I ended my contract with them months ago. When I terminated my contract, I had a credit on my account of $97. So anxious to be done with them, I didn't even care. Fast forward 6 months later, I get an invoice from them for postage meter lease (that was returned) and a late fee totalling $82. I've been on hold for 35 minutes and have been transferred twice. I can't imagine why their call queue is so long -- they are billing people who aren't even customers. I've waited less time to speak to the IRS.

Do Not Do business with Pitney Bowes. Our company received an invoice dated 9-22-2016 due date of October 2016. We are certain there will be a late fee. We have called and ask them to check into the invoice that was received from Purchase Power (which we have no idea what that is). During the call we got transferred constantly from what you call level 1 to level 2, and even was on hold for over 40 minutes, but NOT one person is willing to help. We will never allow them auto payment because they will throw something else in their bill that we may not even know what it is.

We have called to cancel the machine and the agreement but found out that we really can't. We will not have signed a contract with them if we were aware of the scam that they are throwing at businesses and we are sure consumers as well. A lot of shady business practices going on there at PB. Do yourself a favor, go to the post office and get your stamps and through USPS or something. It is in the long run, cheaper, serviceable and less headaches. PITNEY BOWES is not worth it. Do not fall for it!

In the process of obtaining a replacement meter, I discovered that I had a delinquent purchase power account. Seeing that my payment had cleared my bank, I obtained a copy of the front and back of the check and determined my payment had been applied to the wrong account. It has been extremely difficult, almost impossible to talk with a live person. I have attempted "live chats" but never seem to connect. I have spent hours trying to navigate their phone system and have managed to speak with a live person twice. In both cases, I was told someone would call me "right back," but that never occurred. I created service claims and after three days received a response to one of them that my balance was zero, but I checked the website and it continues to show a delinquent balance of $161.47.

This is just a thumbnail sketch of the issues, which now trail back three days and about 12 hours of hanging on the phone in a queue someplace. I sent an email to their corporate office two days ago and received a response that they would address my issue within 24 hours. That did not happen. This company is using its website, voice mail and email systems to create an absolute and total barrier to the client with an issue.

We've been a customer of Pitney Bowes for several years now and can attest to the terrible customer service. Every time we call Pitney Bowes, we are on hold for long periods of time and are transferred several times. Also, no one there seems to know how to answer questions. We've been charged erroneously twice now and had to waste several hours of hold time because of it. They will not let us out of the lease even though they have cost us time and money. They admitted to error yet won't consider letting us out of the lease. This company operates in bad faith, and I would never recommend them for postage services.

It should be easy to get in touch with the people you do business with. That is not the case with Pitney Bowes. You cannot just pick up the phone and call. You cannot just send an email either. You have to create a case. Once you create a case, you wait for them to respond. If you happen to miss their call, you cannot reach them by phone without a great deal of trouble and time. Who has time for this? They need to reorganize in order to make themselves accessible to their customers. I do not recommend anyone signing on to use them.

Pitney Bowes Company Profile