Pitney Bowes

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you like to be charged finance charges and late fees even though your payment was received in time then definitely use this company. They won't post your payment until after the due date and they charge you fees and say they have up to 2 business days after receiving your payment to post. I have had to argue with them several times and I even have proof of payment being received in time. Anyone interested in getting a class action lawsuit against this company let me know because I will definitely sign up. I am cancelling service with this company and will put out every complaint I can against them.

Good luck trying to close your account with them. We decided to not review our contract when it expired at the end of March 2017. Their SALESPEOPLE are reachable, but NOT if you want to cancel your contract. They were notified on March 30th that we would not review; we were paid through the end of March. They never responded regarding their return of their equipment. It is now June 2017 and they have sent us a bill for a full 3 months on a postage meter we are no longer using!! Attempt to reach them by phone, email, etc. NEVER get a response. I am waiting at this moment for a return call from voicemail. Hell. I'm sure nothing will come of it and they will continue to bill and then send to collections for non-payment like they are the victims.

In August of 2016, I had discrepancies with my Pitney Bowes invoice. After spending hours on the phone with Pitney Bowes I was assured that if I made a payment of $21.30, everything would be corrected and I'd be paid through September, 2016. I made the payment on September 2, 2016. My monthly rate was $9.95. October 2016, I received an invoice for $63.10. On the same day, I contacted Pitney Bowes to correct the invoice (should have been $9.95) and to return the meter as I couldn't deal with it anymore. Pitney Bowes ignored both request. I continued to call. Finally on December 20, 2016, they gave me a case number for the Client Service team subject matter: Return the meter. I had to have a case number, and have my request investigated before I could return the meter! I finally was able to return the meter at the end of December.

On January 19, 2017, the return of my meter was acknowledged and my balance was reflected as a credit balance of $13.96. Did not receive the $13.96, instead in March, 2017, a bill collector, "AMS", started calling, emailing, and mailing me collections letters. I provided them with a twelve page package documenting the situation and disputing the debt. They thanked me and said they would "get the matter resolved". They didn't. Beginning in May, 2017, a different bill collector, "RNA", started calling, emailing and mailing me collection letters. Thereafter, I put together a package and mailed it to: Marc B. Lautenbach, CEO of Pitney Bowes, 3001 Summer St., Stamford, CT 06926 and by copying RNA in the letter have once again disputed the debt. Quite honestly, I do not expect Mr. Lautenbach to do anything especially in light of all the other complaints I have read. Bottom line: Do not get involved with Pitney Bowes.

Our business has used Pitney Bowes for many years. I would have discontinued using them several years ago, but because I didn't read close enough, when they sent me a renewal contract, it was for a long renewal. When I called to see if the contract could be cancelled, the cost to cancel was more than just paying out the remaining term. Make sense? They send out the renewal contract WAY before it's actually due, so read carefully. In addition, the majority of the people I have spoken with are not nice/friendly. They act like they are on commission to get the deal and like they are happy when they know that you are displeased.

Their website is miserable to use. I just did an online survey for this - doubt will make any difference. Right now, I've been on hold for 24 minutes about not receiving credit for an overpayment. This is not unusual. Always on hold for a long time. They are just too big to provide good service. While I appreciate getting a discount on regular postage, we plan to buy from another service when our contract is up. It's just not worth dealing with them.

We are a very small business that has had to pay so much money to this company, I would never recommend signing a lease with Pitney Bowes. Our lease has been up for almost a year now and they still continue to bill us for equipment that we don't even want! Its a big game to them. They refuse to allow us to send it back and every month we have it they charge us! Our lease has been up for a while now, we have been trying to resolve this mess for months now and every time we call Pitney Bowes we get the run around after being on hold for 45 mins. We have wasted so much time and money dealing with Pitney Bowes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Had an issue with their billing and tried to call to discuss. YOU CANNOT GET THROUGH TO A HUMAN BEING. I will be cancelling service - sent them an email - we will see how long it takes for that to be responded to. This company is TERRIBLE about customer service.

My company is due a refund of an overpayment made over 2 years ago. I have started hundreds of online cases that just get closed "with my permission"; right... I have held for hours on the phone to talk to people who cannot do anything. Excuses, excuses. If you can do anything else than sign with PB do it! Go to USPS Online or, I don't know, hire a driver and truck and just drive your product where it needs to go, but don't ever sign up with PB.

Absolutely, a colossally disastrous company to deal with. Do yourself a favour and do not get yourself hung up in their contracts. Even further google how to cancel a Pitney Bowes contract - laughable.

As a small business owner, I feel Pitney Bowes punches me in the stomach, month after month, year after YEAR, for their shady "leasing policies". I cannot WAIT until I can permanently end my participation in your scam. If you have been considering using PB's services, run far and fast in the opposite direction. (Unless you want to keep throwing money at unused, antiquated equipment!)

Previous employees opened PB accounts - tried to close and took MONTHS to fix. We acquired another company that had a PB machine and the nightmare is starting all over again - no customer service, overbilling, no return labels. It feels like a black hole that one cannot get out of - unless you spend countless hours on hold and in a Catch 22 of being forwarded and forwarded and round and round to the same departments only to be told the previous department should be able to help you - NO - THERE IS NO HELP!!! Save yourself or those who will come after you time and money. STAY AWAY from this AWFUL, DISHONEST company.

My company has had a PB postage machine for about 12 years. We no longer need the service and decided not to renew when the lease expired this month. PB is telling me that they never invoiced me for a quarter one year ago, and there is a $50 cancellation fee. So, they will not close the account, even though it expired, until I pay about $170.00. What kind of business is this? I still have the machine, it can sit here until the cows come home or I get tired of looking at it and put it in the dumpster.

We kept receiving multiple bills per month for odd amounts, so when logging onto our online account to view and pay invoices, I noticed that under Account Information, some other business's postage information and personal information was listed along with ours. This other business is a law firm located in Virginia, we are a medical office in Nebraska. I called Pitney Bowes to resolve this twice (the first time I sat on hold for 26 minutes until an automated voice came on saying "We are unable to take your call at this time *click*" and then hung up on me). The second time, I got through to someone who needed to transfer me to "Computer/Online Technical Support" or something of that sort.

After being transferred to 3 different people, I finally spoke with a woman named Katherine whom I needed to explain the problem to several times before she understood. She did some clicking around on her end before stating the problem was fixed. I asked her to stay on the line while I make sure the other business's account had been removed on my end. I logged out of our account and logged back in, and sure enough, it still showed up as one of our accounts.

I let her know this and after having to re-explain the problem to her, she did more clicking around and said it had been fixed. Again, I logged out and logged back in to verify. Sure enough, again, the other account is still under our account. She then proceeds to say "Well, I have fixed the problem so I am not sure what you want me to do." (Lady, I've explained what I want you to do, it's definitely your job to know what to do for the customer). She then tells me she has opened a case for this problem and will escalate it further with her managers or others in her department, and then call me back in "approximately 2 days" (again, not sure why it would take that long for an issue like this, but I'm tired of being on the phone for now 43 minutes at this point).

Two days pass, and she calls me back and lets me know the issue has been fixed. I log on to verify, and once again, it has not. The other account is still showing up on ours, this time with their postage machine serial number and everything. She then tells me she will take the case once more to her managers or co-workers and get back to me in one day. One day passes, and no phone call. Another day passes, still no phone call. The next day, I receive an email from Pitney Bowes Support stating: "Good day. This is to inform that we've been trying to reach you however seems like you are unavailable. We will be closing this case for now but if you feel that the issue is still unresolved please give us a call at 844-256-6444 for us to open another case for you. Thank you for choosing Pitney Bowes."

No one has tried to reach me. I have been in my office every day, working at my desk all day for the past few days. I have no voicemails on my phone, and I don't think she should have an issue getting ahold of me, she had no trouble the time before when she called me back. Anyway, as a customer I feel helpless and unsure how to proceed to get help from anyone. It's not a good place to be in when you feel that the company you're doing business with has incompetent, unhelpful, shady people representing it.

Please do yourself a favor, don't sign up with these guys, an absolute scam & nightmare. I have had them for years and every few months they change the billing, sign me up for some account I never asked for and then you're on hold forever trying to sort it out. They make excuses for everything and deny everything the last contact promised you. I'm going to get my last dispute handled with them and then cancel once & for all... I'd rather lick stamps for the rest of my life than have to deal with these dishonest time & money killers.

I originally signed a lease with Pitney Bowes in December 2010. It was a 42 month lease. In March 2014 they sent me a renewal. This time it was for a 36 month lease. So when I do the math, my lease should be ending in June 2017. I decided to go with Neopost as the lease is half the price. I called Pitney Bowes to cancel my lease. She stated my lease does not end until January 2018. She could not explain to me how they came up with that date but said there was nothing she could do.

I filed a complaint with them and a representative called me back and said I would have to pay almost $600 to get out of the lease. I asked again how they came up with the lease end date and how they came up with the amount they are asking me to pay. He could not do either. I will also point out, that there is no Beginning date or ending date on any piece of paper I signed stating the lease term. STAY AWAY FROM THIS UNFAIR TACTIC OF SCAMMING CUSTOMERS. I can't believe the amount of comments here, saying the same thing that happened to me. My choice now is to pay the remaining balance which is two more payments on my lease at $108 instead of paying $600 to terminate my contract. Check out Neopost, if you want a postage meter.

I was on hold for at least 20 minutes and when I finally got in touch with someone they set an appointment to come repair their broken equipment. Not 30 minutes later I got a call from them rescheduling the appointment for 4 days from now. This is unacceptable and while I was trying to talk to the person about getting a better time or why there was such a delay SHE HUNG UP IN MY FACE. I did not attack or swear at this person. They just decided they were done talking to me. When I called back to file a complaint I was left on hold for another 20 minutes. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I recommend that no one ever use this company.

This is the worst Customer Service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. They illegally opened a Purchase Power line of credit for our business. We did not request or authorize it. It has taken me 3 months of trying to get this closed and once, I thought it was closed, got an email confirming it was closed, only to get a new invoice in the mail for the Purchase Power. They have also raised the rental rates with no notification. Tried to claim we broke a lease agreement when we returned the machine when we were always on a rental contract.

Calling them is a joke; you wait 20-30 minutes at a time and have to fight to get an issue resolved. Their online "case" operation is also for the birds. I opened 5 cases about the same thing in one day only to have them closed by a CSR with no resolution. This company's practices need to be investigated, especially when it comes to opening Purchase Power line of credit with no authorization from the business owner. I am still waiting for a letter of confirmation regarding the closure of that account. I have a feeling that their CSRs are based in a foreign country. I will never do business with Pitney Bowes again. Anyone who gets caught in their trap has a long road ahead to get out.

The 3 month free trial and $19.99 month sounded great. I was able to set up the machine with no problem. The online video was easy enough. The nightmare began when I need to synchronize the "Smart Device" and it would not connect. I spent over an hour trying and re-trying to sync this device. When I finally reached Tech Support, the agent was difficult to understand (language accent) and I felt I knew as much, or more, about how to sync than she did! I wasted more time having to repeat the entire process yet again! I could spend an hour describing the painful and difficult process with customer / technical support. The problem was not resolved to my satisfaction and I spent almost 3 hours between the initial call, on hold time, and many transfers to different departments.

When I asked if a person could come to my place of business to assist me in set-up, I was abruptly advised that because the postage meter we had was "the smaller unit", they did not provide on-site assistance. They wanted to charge me $150 if I insisted on this service. Then I was told they would ship another device and I needed to return the old one - at MY COST! When I argued this point, I was transferred again to another department. PB kept insisting I let them ship a new device and wait days for arrival then repeat the setup process to correct what may have been a defective device. I decided to return the meter. Not worth my time!

Although PB included the postage-paid return label, the ground carrier was not authorized to PICK-UP so we would have to incur a charge for that! I had to go to store and purchase shipping tape AND schlep the package to nearest UPS store. Wow. What a fun time with Pitney Bowes. The entire experience left me frustrated and disappointed with a company whose brand I thought was trusted and reliable. They are great on the sales side. Very helpful and informative. But it appears they only are interested in getting and keeping your business. Not actually assisting you and going out of their way. Now, I feel I need to follow up to be certain my account is not charged for some B.S. thing or God help me, that they say they did not receive the unit back. This would be my Tweet:

#Pitneybowesstinks!

After receiving the MailStation 2 system over one month ago on a trial account, it is a brick. I am a software programmer, and this type of system should be very simple to setup and operate. The Pitney Bowes Customer Service is non-existent. This company is brain-dead for the smaller user... I would assume large-volume mailer receive good care for their huge accounts, but if you are interested in a trial system for a small business, I suggest you look elsewhere.

So I'm right now on hold. Expecting another 30 minutes trying to get my $309 refund after returning my Pitney Bowes machine. Fifth time they have put me through Hold Hell. Each time I finally get through to a representative, I hear all sorts of promises. But then never see the refund. And the next call starts the process all over again. This has been going on since November 2016. I will be thrilled when Pitney Bowes goes bankrupt and will do whatever I can to help this truly evil company die a miserable death. Back to hold...

We cancelled Pitney Bowes years ago. They have an auto renew contract and then when you try to stop the service they hit you with the year's fees, penalties etc. As far as we are concerned they can take the $2700+ and shove it up their ass. My Attorney will deal with them. Don't use. It is a con. When you quit the service they'll hit you hard. They just sent a box for us to return the machine.

Follow the advice of every single review on this website. Pitney Bowes is very dishonest in their leasing policies and customer service is the worst I've experienced in 30 years of business. I have a meter we've been paying rent on since 2011, almost 6 years. They want me to pay 2 years additional payments and a cancellation charge since we are now into another 3-year lease term. After two months of trying to get an agent on the phone, holding for about 3 hours total, and two cases opened 5 and 7 weeks ago with no response, the agent today told me they would make it more expensive to cancel than to just pay for the next two years. He was not even trying to disguise his joy in blackmailing customers.

The meter is not working after spending $180 on a new print head. We ordered aftermarket ink at $15 per cartridge instead of the $70 ink cartridges from PB, and we are now sure we need to buy only their ink at ridiculous costs. We figure our cost to mail a letter with this meter is closer to $0.90 with rental and supplies costs. A rip-off from a company who demonstrates customer appreciation by forcing one to make lease payments on a 6-year-old machine.

I work for a multi-million-dollar company. I have never received such bad customer service. Hours spent on hold for customer service only to have problem unresolved; postage never downloads on the first try; re-billed for six months of my lease that was already paid and after months of not correcting it, waiting on hold, and accruing interest, I finally had to pay this to close my account. Ripoff, scam, horrible customer service. Please do your research and use a legitimate local company.

I truly wish I had the time to contact the CEO directly - but alas, all my extra time this week was spent dealing with PB so-called customer service. Our new meter came without a sealer - and they are not available to purchase online. It would take me an hour to outline my experience in detail but here's the gist: After 1 hour on hold yesterday, I explained to the nice lady who finally answered the phone that I could not hold any longer as I was late for a business meeting. She assured me she would find an answer to my need. Later I received an email from her saying she had forwarded my request to someone in Leasing.

Today I received a call from that gentleman who told me I would need to call the 'supply line.' I explained I had been on hold with that group for an hour the day before. His response was, "There's not much I can do about that." I AM NOT KIDDING, that's what he said! Ha! I asked if he was sure that item could not be ordered online - his response was "I don't know, I never go on our website." AHAHAHA! You can't make up this stuff! His name was Dale and he's in the PB leasing dept. He ended up getting someone else to help him look online and confirmed that the item was not available there. He gave me the number for the supply line, which I already had - I guess so that I could call them and be placed on hold again for another hour, only to be told I'd need to speak to someone in Leasing. ACK!

I had a trial of a Smart Postage account which I never used because the rates were not anything special. When I tried to cancel the account, I received an email saying that they had received a cancellation request, and I thought it was settled. Come to find out 6 months later I'm still being charged for their monthly subscription fee.

To begin with we clearly had a mis-sell for two items of equipment to a member of our staff. No clear indication of the built in insurance mechanism and rate. Out of date equipment at a very bad lease rate. Years later... Canceled our franking machine service in 2014 which became surplus to requirement and term ended. Numerous deals and offers which was annoying. No record of collection of equipment by PB. Notice given in 2016. Notices ignored. Outsourced customer service call centres in the Philippines. The worst service (courteous yes, but without a clue...) ever and endless call waiting. Customer service in Harlow didn't deal with the matter until called two weeks after they were told.

This company seems to thrive on auto renewal and - I suspect - know what's happening. It take a lot to cancel or give notice when your lease term comes up, and it's made more difficult by its operators. The equipment has not been collected and should have been at agreement end (June 2016). Valuable space taken up by equipment. I've wasted so many hours trying to get some sense out of them... This global corporation has lost sight of its customers in the UK.

This is the worst company to do business with. They kept sending me machine after machine and none of them worked, they would not send anyone out to try and help figure out the problem. I returned all of their equipment promptly. They still tried to hold me to a lease and make me pay them almost $2,000. I finally ended up paying them $200 that we agreed upon to close the account. After trying to get this closed for 8 months I thought I was done. They still keep calling, emailing and sending me bills in the mail. If you call their customer service line you get someone outside of the US that doesn't speak English very well and just reads scripts, they have no idea how the meters work. They are a very poorly run company that you should avoid entirely.

Do not use this company. If you try to cancel the "service" and return the machine you are on hold for nearly 4-6 hours without anyone actually contacting you or you get disconnected. They will also not respond to their "tickets" for up to 2 weeks when you are frustrated at the poor service. You also cannot get anyone to speak with about billing problems, but when they want to sell you something you get fast responses.

Hello, I want to share my experience with Pitney Bowes. There is guy name James ** is fraud. I have cancelled the order right after next day and I have 30 days peace of mind period but I cancel the order next day. I didn't use even a single postage of that machine, but company sent me bill to pay. I have tried to contact them many times but no response at all. I don't recommend this company and James **.

Pitney Bowes is even worse to deal with than Comcast and that is saying a lot. Their billing is consistently wrong. They don't send the invoice in a timely manner, we pay it immediately, but then they charge us an astronomical late charge when the reason we are late is because they don't send the invoice. Reaching Customer Service is near impossible. I had a 32 minute wait, was asked to put in a call back number, which I did. When they called me back, I was put on hold on the call back while I waited for "the next available rep." Then the rep tells me she will see what she can do and leaves me on hold another 15 minutes. Then they proceed to try to sell me more supplies while I'm trying to get the current mess fixed. They tell you they've fixed a problem and then on the next invoice, you still have the problem.

In addition, I've heard for the last 8 months that they've had "system changes" and that is why it is messed up. Good grief, if you can't fix it in 8 months, you don't need to be selling equipment. They literally make me want to beat my head against the wall. I can't wait for the lease to expire. I would never, ever do business with them again!

In October we realized we could not get a phone line to add postage to our meter. I called several times. Created a case online. Spoke with someone in broken English as he asked me to unplug the machine. Finally they agreed to send a service tech. Waited all day. Tech called and asked if we had digital phone lines. Stated we had recently switched. Tech said we can't get a dial tone with digital lines. He didn't come out. We decided to cancel. After several long phone calls, nobody understanding, 3 long letters written, multiple emails and "cases created" they finally offered us a crazy amount to cancel our lease early. We negotiated and finally settled on almost $1,000. I am still waiting for the label to return the machine.

In the meantime - Pitney Purchase Power sends me a bill for a 2 hour service call plus travel time. I call - get too long of a hold time, so send another letter. Today I called to check on this bill. Now they've add $48.89 in finance charges and late fees to the bogus service call bill - saying we owe almost $400 on a bogus bill. In broken english the worker apologizes, says her system isn't working, says all supervisors are at lunch, then agrees to waive the late fee, but is not authorized to waive the bogus service fee - again I hold, call is now about 40 minutes long - then she transfers me - and it disconnects - line is dead as a doornail.

I just don't have the heart to pick up the phone again. I hate this company. They will not answer a letter. They will not answer an email. And to top it off - some guy named "Nick" in supplies called ME today - saying their records show we might be out of red ink! Really? You care about THAT - but not about sending me the label to return this machine after $1,000 payment - or the bogus $400 charges for a service call. I asked him if he could give me someone - a live person - to help me - "no, I am just in the supplies department." And he hung up. Unbelievable. Avoid this company. I'm thinking our lawyer needs to get involved - maybe a CLASS ACTION SUIT would open their eyes! Any law firms out there???

Pitney Bowes Company Profile