Pitney Bowes

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We kept receiving multiple bills per month for odd amounts, so when logging onto our online account to view and pay invoices, I noticed that under Account Information, some other business's postage information and personal information was listed along with ours. This other business is a law firm located in Virginia, we are a medical office in Nebraska. I called Pitney Bowes to resolve this twice (the first time I sat on hold for 26 minutes until an automated voice came on saying "We are unable to take your call at this time *click*" and then hung up on me). The second time, I got through to someone who needed to transfer me to "Computer/Online Technical Support" or something of that sort.

After being transferred to 3 different people, I finally spoke with a woman named Katherine whom I needed to explain the problem to several times before she understood. She did some clicking around on her end before stating the problem was fixed. I asked her to stay on the line while I make sure the other business's account had been removed on my end. I logged out of our account and logged back in, and sure enough, it still showed up as one of our accounts.

I let her know this and after having to re-explain the problem to her, she did more clicking around and said it had been fixed. Again, I logged out and logged back in to verify. Sure enough, again, the other account is still under our account. She then proceeds to say "Well, I have fixed the problem so I am not sure what you want me to do." (Lady, I've explained what I want you to do, it's definitely your job to know what to do for the customer). She then tells me she has opened a case for this problem and will escalate it further with her managers or others in her department, and then call me back in "approximately 2 days" (again, not sure why it would take that long for an issue like this, but I'm tired of being on the phone for now 43 minutes at this point).

Two days pass, and she calls me back and lets me know the issue has been fixed. I log on to verify, and once again, it has not. The other account is still showing up on ours, this time with their postage machine serial number and everything. She then tells me she will take the case once more to her managers or co-workers and get back to me in one day. One day passes, and no phone call. Another day passes, still no phone call. The next day, I receive an email from Pitney Bowes Support stating: "Good day. This is to inform that we've been trying to reach you however seems like you are unavailable. We will be closing this case for now but if you feel that the issue is still unresolved please give us a call at 844-256-6444 for us to open another case for you. Thank you for choosing Pitney Bowes."

No one has tried to reach me. I have been in my office every day, working at my desk all day for the past few days. I have no voicemails on my phone, and I don't think she should have an issue getting ahold of me, she had no trouble the time before when she called me back. Anyway, as a customer I feel helpless and unsure how to proceed to get help from anyone. It's not a good place to be in when you feel that the company you're doing business with has incompetent, unhelpful, shady people representing it.

Please do yourself a favor, don't sign up with these guys, an absolute scam & nightmare. I have had them for years and every few months they change the billing, sign me up for some account I never asked for and then you're on hold forever trying to sort it out. They make excuses for everything and deny everything the last contact promised you. I'm going to get my last dispute handled with them and then cancel once & for all... I'd rather lick stamps for the rest of my life than have to deal with these dishonest time & money killers.

I originally signed a lease with Pitney Bowes in December 2010. It was a 42 month lease. In March 2014 they sent me a renewal. This time it was for a 36 month lease. So when I do the math, my lease should be ending in June 2017. I decided to go with Neopost as the lease is half the price. I called Pitney Bowes to cancel my lease. She stated my lease does not end until January 2018. She could not explain to me how they came up with that date but said there was nothing she could do.

I filed a complaint with them and a representative called me back and said I would have to pay almost $600 to get out of the lease. I asked again how they came up with the lease end date and how they came up with the amount they are asking me to pay. He could not do either. I will also point out, that there is no Beginning date or ending date on any piece of paper I signed stating the lease term. STAY AWAY FROM THIS UNFAIR TACTIC OF SCAMMING CUSTOMERS. I can't believe the amount of comments here, saying the same thing that happened to me. My choice now is to pay the remaining balance which is two more payments on my lease at $108 instead of paying $600 to terminate my contract. Check out Neopost, if you want a postage meter.

I was on hold for at least 20 minutes and when I finally got in touch with someone they set an appointment to come repair their broken equipment. Not 30 minutes later I got a call from them rescheduling the appointment for 4 days from now. This is unacceptable and while I was trying to talk to the person about getting a better time or why there was such a delay SHE HUNG UP IN MY FACE. I did not attack or swear at this person. They just decided they were done talking to me. When I called back to file a complaint I was left on hold for another 20 minutes. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I recommend that no one ever use this company.

This is the worst Customer Service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. They illegally opened a Purchase Power line of credit for our business. We did not request or authorize it. It has taken me 3 months of trying to get this closed and once, I thought it was closed, got an email confirming it was closed, only to get a new invoice in the mail for the Purchase Power. They have also raised the rental rates with no notification. Tried to claim we broke a lease agreement when we returned the machine when we were always on a rental contract.

Calling them is a joke; you wait 20-30 minutes at a time and have to fight to get an issue resolved. Their online "case" operation is also for the birds. I opened 5 cases about the same thing in one day only to have them closed by a CSR with no resolution. This company's practices need to be investigated, especially when it comes to opening Purchase Power line of credit with no authorization from the business owner. I am still waiting for a letter of confirmation regarding the closure of that account. I have a feeling that their CSRs are based in a foreign country. I will never do business with Pitney Bowes again. Anyone who gets caught in their trap has a long road ahead to get out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

The 3 month free trial and $19.99 month sounded great. I was able to set up the machine with no problem. The online video was easy enough. The nightmare began when I need to synchronize the "Smart Device" and it would not connect. I spent over an hour trying and re-trying to sync this device. When I finally reached Tech Support, the agent was difficult to understand (language accent) and I felt I knew as much, or more, about how to sync than she did! I wasted more time having to repeat the entire process yet again! I could spend an hour describing the painful and difficult process with customer / technical support. The problem was not resolved to my satisfaction and I spent almost 3 hours between the initial call, on hold time, and many transfers to different departments.

When I asked if a person could come to my place of business to assist me in set-up, I was abruptly advised that because the postage meter we had was "the smaller unit", they did not provide on-site assistance. They wanted to charge me $150 if I insisted on this service. Then I was told they would ship another device and I needed to return the old one - at MY COST! When I argued this point, I was transferred again to another department. PB kept insisting I let them ship a new device and wait days for arrival then repeat the setup process to correct what may have been a defective device. I decided to return the meter. Not worth my time!

Although PB included the postage-paid return label, the ground carrier was not authorized to PICK-UP so we would have to incur a charge for that! I had to go to store and purchase shipping tape AND schlep the package to nearest UPS store. Wow. What a fun time with Pitney Bowes. The entire experience left me frustrated and disappointed with a company whose brand I thought was trusted and reliable. They are great on the sales side. Very helpful and informative. But it appears they only are interested in getting and keeping your business. Not actually assisting you and going out of their way. Now, I feel I need to follow up to be certain my account is not charged for some B.S. thing or God help me, that they say they did not receive the unit back. This would be my Tweet:

#Pitneybowesstinks!

After receiving the MailStation 2 system over one month ago on a trial account, it is a brick. I am a software programmer, and this type of system should be very simple to setup and operate. The Pitney Bowes Customer Service is non-existent. This company is brain-dead for the smaller user... I would assume large-volume mailer receive good care for their huge accounts, but if you are interested in a trial system for a small business, I suggest you look elsewhere.

So I'm right now on hold. Expecting another 30 minutes trying to get my $309 refund after returning my Pitney Bowes machine. Fifth time they have put me through Hold Hell. Each time I finally get through to a representative, I hear all sorts of promises. But then never see the refund. And the next call starts the process all over again. This has been going on since November 2016. I will be thrilled when Pitney Bowes goes bankrupt and will do whatever I can to help this truly evil company die a miserable death. Back to hold...

We cancelled Pitney Bowes years ago. They have an auto renew contract and then when you try to stop the service they hit you with the year's fees, penalties etc. As far as we are concerned they can take the $2700+ and shove it up their ass. My Attorney will deal with them. Don't use. It is a con. When you quit the service they'll hit you hard. They just sent a box for us to return the machine.

Follow the advice of every single review on this website. Pitney Bowes is very dishonest in their leasing policies and customer service is the worst I've experienced in 30 years of business. I have a meter we've been paying rent on since 2011, almost 6 years. They want me to pay 2 years additional payments and a cancellation charge since we are now into another 3-year lease term. After two months of trying to get an agent on the phone, holding for about 3 hours total, and two cases opened 5 and 7 weeks ago with no response, the agent today told me they would make it more expensive to cancel than to just pay for the next two years. He was not even trying to disguise his joy in blackmailing customers.

The meter is not working after spending $180 on a new print head. We ordered aftermarket ink at $15 per cartridge instead of the $70 ink cartridges from PB, and we are now sure we need to buy only their ink at ridiculous costs. We figure our cost to mail a letter with this meter is closer to $0.90 with rental and supplies costs. A rip-off from a company who demonstrates customer appreciation by forcing one to make lease payments on a 6-year-old machine.

I work for a multi-million-dollar company. I have never received such bad customer service. Hours spent on hold for customer service only to have problem unresolved; postage never downloads on the first try; re-billed for six months of my lease that was already paid and after months of not correcting it, waiting on hold, and accruing interest, I finally had to pay this to close my account. Ripoff, scam, horrible customer service. Please do your research and use a legitimate local company.

I truly wish I had the time to contact the CEO directly - but alas, all my extra time this week was spent dealing with PB so-called customer service. Our new meter came without a sealer - and they are not available to purchase online. It would take me an hour to outline my experience in detail but here's the gist: After 1 hour on hold yesterday, I explained to the nice lady who finally answered the phone that I could not hold any longer as I was late for a business meeting. She assured me she would find an answer to my need. Later I received an email from her saying she had forwarded my request to someone in Leasing.

Today I received a call from that gentleman who told me I would need to call the 'supply line.' I explained I had been on hold with that group for an hour the day before. His response was, "There's not much I can do about that." I AM NOT KIDDING, that's what he said! Ha! I asked if he was sure that item could not be ordered online - his response was "I don't know, I never go on our website." AHAHAHA! You can't make up this stuff! His name was Dale and he's in the PB leasing dept. He ended up getting someone else to help him look online and confirmed that the item was not available there. He gave me the number for the supply line, which I already had - I guess so that I could call them and be placed on hold again for another hour, only to be told I'd need to speak to someone in Leasing. ACK!

I had a trial of a Smart Postage account which I never used because the rates were not anything special. When I tried to cancel the account, I received an email saying that they had received a cancellation request, and I thought it was settled. Come to find out 6 months later I'm still being charged for their monthly subscription fee.

To begin with we clearly had a mis-sell for two items of equipment to a member of our staff. No clear indication of the built in insurance mechanism and rate. Out of date equipment at a very bad lease rate. Years later... Canceled our franking machine service in 2014 which became surplus to requirement and term ended. Numerous deals and offers which was annoying. No record of collection of equipment by PB. Notice given in 2016. Notices ignored. Outsourced customer service call centres in the Philippines. The worst service (courteous yes, but without a clue...) ever and endless call waiting. Customer service in Harlow didn't deal with the matter until called two weeks after they were told.

This company seems to thrive on auto renewal and - I suspect - know what's happening. It take a lot to cancel or give notice when your lease term comes up, and it's made more difficult by its operators. The equipment has not been collected and should have been at agreement end (June 2016). Valuable space taken up by equipment. I've wasted so many hours trying to get some sense out of them... This global corporation has lost sight of its customers in the UK.

This is the worst company to do business with. They kept sending me machine after machine and none of them worked, they would not send anyone out to try and help figure out the problem. I returned all of their equipment promptly. They still tried to hold me to a lease and make me pay them almost $2,000. I finally ended up paying them $200 that we agreed upon to close the account. After trying to get this closed for 8 months I thought I was done. They still keep calling, emailing and sending me bills in the mail. If you call their customer service line you get someone outside of the US that doesn't speak English very well and just reads scripts, they have no idea how the meters work. They are a very poorly run company that you should avoid entirely.

Do not use this company. If you try to cancel the "service" and return the machine you are on hold for nearly 4-6 hours without anyone actually contacting you or you get disconnected. They will also not respond to their "tickets" for up to 2 weeks when you are frustrated at the poor service. You also cannot get anyone to speak with about billing problems, but when they want to sell you something you get fast responses.

Hello, I want to share my experience with Pitney Bowes. There is guy name James ** is fraud. I have cancelled the order right after next day and I have 30 days peace of mind period but I cancel the order next day. I didn't use even a single postage of that machine, but company sent me bill to pay. I have tried to contact them many times but no response at all. I don't recommend this company and James **.

Pitney Bowes is even worse to deal with than Comcast and that is saying a lot. Their billing is consistently wrong. They don't send the invoice in a timely manner, we pay it immediately, but then they charge us an astronomical late charge when the reason we are late is because they don't send the invoice. Reaching Customer Service is near impossible. I had a 32 minute wait, was asked to put in a call back number, which I did. When they called me back, I was put on hold on the call back while I waited for "the next available rep." Then the rep tells me she will see what she can do and leaves me on hold another 15 minutes. Then they proceed to try to sell me more supplies while I'm trying to get the current mess fixed. They tell you they've fixed a problem and then on the next invoice, you still have the problem.

In addition, I've heard for the last 8 months that they've had "system changes" and that is why it is messed up. Good grief, if you can't fix it in 8 months, you don't need to be selling equipment. They literally make me want to beat my head against the wall. I can't wait for the lease to expire. I would never, ever do business with them again!

In October we realized we could not get a phone line to add postage to our meter. I called several times. Created a case online. Spoke with someone in broken English as he asked me to unplug the machine. Finally they agreed to send a service tech. Waited all day. Tech called and asked if we had digital phone lines. Stated we had recently switched. Tech said we can't get a dial tone with digital lines. He didn't come out. We decided to cancel. After several long phone calls, nobody understanding, 3 long letters written, multiple emails and "cases created" they finally offered us a crazy amount to cancel our lease early. We negotiated and finally settled on almost $1,000. I am still waiting for the label to return the machine.

In the meantime - Pitney Purchase Power sends me a bill for a 2 hour service call plus travel time. I call - get too long of a hold time, so send another letter. Today I called to check on this bill. Now they've add $48.89 in finance charges and late fees to the bogus service call bill - saying we owe almost $400 on a bogus bill. In broken english the worker apologizes, says her system isn't working, says all supervisors are at lunch, then agrees to waive the late fee, but is not authorized to waive the bogus service fee - again I hold, call is now about 40 minutes long - then she transfers me - and it disconnects - line is dead as a doornail.

I just don't have the heart to pick up the phone again. I hate this company. They will not answer a letter. They will not answer an email. And to top it off - some guy named "Nick" in supplies called ME today - saying their records show we might be out of red ink! Really? You care about THAT - but not about sending me the label to return this machine after $1,000 payment - or the bogus $400 charges for a service call. I asked him if he could give me someone - a live person - to help me - "no, I am just in the supplies department." And he hung up. Unbelievable. Avoid this company. I'm thinking our lawyer needs to get involved - maybe a CLASS ACTION SUIT would open their eyes! Any law firms out there???

I came late into the Pitney Bowes experience, only needing to deal with them when cancelling our account as we went with a less expensive postage machine and company. They are absolutely impossible to get a hold of, and when I finally did reach someone, I would be transferred and sit on hold for 30-40 minute blocks of time. Went through their on-line trouble ticket, since I couldn't get anyone by phone - absolutely no help. The only response I've received from them is a survey asking me to review their online service. You have got to be kidding! Still no resolution to my problem of returning their postage equipment. Because, of course, I can't just return it. I "must have authorization and guidelines for returning it". If I can help it, I will never again, as long as I draw breath, deal with this company. They should be ashamed of themselves!

This is the WORST company I have ever had the misfortune to ever work with (and I use work with lightly). The wait times are astronomical and the customer service is sub par at best; and the worst part is, I'm out of my contract and I can't get anyone to answer my questions on why my return label and box haven't been delivered. I have been trying for weeks to get a billing manager to call me with no return. I have threatened to file a BBB report and still I'm not taken seriously. What you have successfully done is tied my hands and now I'm contacting my attorney. I have 4 offices 2 are out of contract and 2 have a few months left. I want out of the last 2 contracts ASAP and to be done with you people. This has been going on since April of 2016 before you switched your computer system over. This is unacceptable!

I have been trying for weeks to discuss our account and get nowhere. I have spoken to so many people and get a different answer each time. NO ONE ever returns a phone call. Says it takes 60 days to cancel an account. They are run like a business that is just about money. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. We have been with them for 20 years. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I'm sure there are better options out there... or better yet... go back to the old fashioned stamp!!

I was a customer of Pitney Bowes since October of 2007. I canceled my service in August of 2016, had to wait until October of 2016 to receive the box to ship the meter back to them, and continue to get a bill monthly for the rental fees. Every month I have to call and re-open the same case number and assured it will be corrected - but it isn't. I have read the complaints against Pitney Bowes, experienced most of it, and I am just incredibly frustrated that I have had to put so much time and effort into canceling this account for lousy $15.90 monthly charge. Their supplies and ink prices are ridiculously high. I was paying almost $65 a cartridge that I subsequently found on Amazon for $15 - for 3 cartridges. I nor the post office had any problem with the cheaper ink.

Their new phone system is the worst. I decided to cancel my account earlier this year when the company required all customer account activity to be handled through a customer electronic account on their website. I was unsuccessful in setting up a recurring payment and a Pitney Bowes representative was unable to enter this information for me. Surprisingly, they could not take a payment from me over the phone. Their telephone representatives have no ability to adjust or correct anything dealing with a customer account. My recommendation to a business looking for a postage meter, find another company.

This has been a nightmare. They constantly bill incorrectly. It takes hours of being on hold and calls back to resolve these issues. I have had 6 issues with billing -- all their fault -- in 4 years. One issue took 2 months of back and forth to clear up. They did credit my account with a generous postage sum at one point because I had called over 11 times on the same issue. The people are sweet, but it's just run terribly!

Let's start with saying I am a new customer, less than 1 year. Ordered a K7M0 machine, and thought it would be smart to order an ink cartridge in case I ran out. 6 months later, I needed to replace the cartridge and realized PB sent the wrong cartridge. Called PB, they told me they would not accept the return, as it was more than 30 days! Appealed to a supervisor, no was the answer.

Let's talk about their 'late fees' next. I am in the Philadelphia suburbs and their remittance address in in Pittsburgh. Maybe 2 days mail delivery, tops. But I take no chances and give it a minimum of 7 days, and it STILL does not get there in time, according to PB. Yes, I get whacked $29,99 and they won't hear anything else. In order to remedy, I now spend $6.45 on 2 day priority to pay my bill to a mailing services company so they will not rip me off. How ironic is that? Can anyone give advice on the best way to get out of this agreement?

We have been struggling with Pitney Bowes for the past 10 months trying to have billing questions and late fees reviewed. Unfortunately, they just do not care about small business accounts. We have left countless messages, spoke with representatives who promise to investigate and return calls, unanswered emails along with average hold times of 1 hour+++. When our contract expires we will not renew. The worst service imaginable!!

We have several location that had Pitney Bowes postal meters. They misapplied payment and charged late fees & finance charges when they cashed our check well before the due dates. I have been trying to clear our account since July and still get no answers. If you log a "case" they simply close the case without resolving it. Very dysfunctional and shady company. Avoid doing business with Pitney Bowes!

Do not use this company - there is no customer service at all. My online account with them did not work since March 2016 - they say they are implementing a new system. Phone calls - get a message due to all volume they can't take my call. Email is only way and SLOW. Due to no service (except from SALES!!!) I did not renew my contract, I have email proof that it is canceled. Months later I get dunning letters and robot phone calls saying I owe the next lease payment. Phone call offers options to pay but when I select customer service I get the above message. If you want great equipment but no service, choose PB. We switched to FP Mailing (FP Postalia) as their equipment seemed to be closest in performance, but I have to say it is very frustrating to use compared to Pitney Bowes, so sadly I don't recommend their equipment but their service is great.

This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. I have been trying to return equipment since last June. I am on my 3rd phone call this week trying to pay the return fee of $100.00 and have now been on hold for over 30 minutes. I gave up on the first 2 calls. Their phone system is ridiculous, their billing is insane and the employees that I have spoken with are inept and unqualified to solve a problem of how to tie a shoe lace. Do yourselves a favor, DO NOT deal with this company in any capacity.

I was on the phone for over an hour with them and got transferred to different places. I was charged for their machine which I don't even have in my office. Bad service, bad all around. I'm very upset with this company.

Pitney Bowes Company Profile