1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

131 Pitney Bowes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The use of Pitney Bowes is made mandatory by eBay for overseas shipping and I was hoping that there was a rating less than 1 when I took it upon myself to review for you here. Their system leaves everything to be desired on every metric of a common carrier logistics system.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When our DM400 needed an update a couple months ago, they completed the update remotely. Unfortunately the motherboard that was in the machine did not support the update and we needed a new motherboard. When I called to have someone come fix it, I was told no one would be available for two days to come out. Yet, they tell you same day or next day service for machine. Right! So, someone came out two days later and fixed it. Well, in the meantime I called PB and asked them if we had an open contract. (I am still fairly new to my position and could not find anything in the files.) The lady on the phone said, no, we did not have a contract and we were just paying for the machine quarterly. Hmm... Weird? So I looked on our portal page for PB, and sure enough, it said, no, we were not under a current contract. Great! I'm going to call Neopost and switch us!

Neopost sent me a cancellation form they would send to PB. I then got a call from PB about two weeks later and the lady on the phone was YELLING at me about cancelling the contract and I needed to cancel with Neopost. What?! I asked to speak to her supervisor and got put on hold for more than TWO HOURS. The supervisor, who was actually very nice, explained that someone gave me misinformation previously, and I was still obligated to stay with PB, or at least pay them. That wasn't working for me. I wanted his supervisor. Spoke to her, and she not friendly in how she address my issues of their department's "misinformation" and telling me I needed to figure it out on my own. I hung up on her instead of listening to her even further.

Then I decided I was going to email the CEO/President of PB. He sent me a very friendly reply back and CCd another lady from his office who was very helpful and worked with me. Our contract was still open for nearly $8k, but we compromised for $2k, which we gladly paid to be done with them. And even after paying that amount, with Neopost we are still saving quite a bit of money. In the end, I would suggest not doing business with Pitney Bowes. They have awful support that is not in this country, their tech workers are subcontracted and pretty much make their own schedule, and in order to accomplish anything you need to contact their CEO. Why should I have to go above a call center jockey's head to a company CEO to report bad business? That doesn't make any sense.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

There is no way we will ever renew a lease again with this firm. Today is the 29th. Postage went up on the 27th. Due to technical errors, we are unable to print "any" postage because their system has frozen. So now I have to send someone who makes $75,000/year to the post office to buy stamps because we have a mailing deadline. We have over 500 pieces of mail to send out and all we can do is affix stamps. This has gone on for days and every time I call I hear "call back in 2 hours". When I finally got a real person on the line I was told it is affecting everyone. I feel sorry for anyone who is also experiencing this. Shame on Pitney Bowes. If this was the only problem we have ever had I wouldn't mind as much but it is just another one of several that we have experienced. If you are approached by Pitney Bowes, all I can say is "run fast, run far".

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I will never ever use PB ever again. Due to their lack of planning, my machine has been worthless the last 2 days. The day my lease is up this piece of junk machine is going to be put outside. I will never give PB 1 more dime even if I have to deliver the mail myself!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

This business is ridiculously predatory. They have a big sales force that baits you in with a deal to "save" you money but when you try to discontinue or have a discrepancy - it gets ugly fast. We were unfairly charged a late fee in 2011 and were assured it would be removed but never was removed from our account. NOW that our lease is up and we are shopping around for a new service, they decide that this late fee is justified and are charging us 22% INTEREST ON A LATE FEE FROM 2011! They are worse than the cable company. BUYER BEWARE!

I have tried to resolve the problem for several months now and can't find an English speaking person to help me. EVERY time I call I get a different representative with a very HEAVY accent. It makes the entire ordeal very taxing and exhausting. They are set up to consume your time and productivity so that you give up and just pay whatever they demand. It's easier to keep continuing to pay them than it is to end your relationship with them. THEY ARE A RIDICULOUS COMPANY. It's a shame that they are still around to sucker other people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Dealing with this company is a bureaucratic nightmare. I have been spent several hours trying to straighten out my account. All their customer service representatives are speaking English as a second language and the communication gap is wide. I can't wait for my business lease to end so I can find another company to lease a postage machine for my small business.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Their service is abominable and they do NOTHING to improve it. You can't easily reach them by phone, and the CHAT is a JOKE. They disconnect you if they can't figure out the solution to a problem. Why isn't there another postage meter company. PITNEY BOWES SUCKS!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I was charged $63 shipping and "import duty" fees for $50 worth of second hand toys purchased on eBay to be sent from the UK to Australia. The service is slow and a rip-off. I will avoid using eBay vendors using GSP in the future.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

If being rude and condescending is part of this guy's job description, he knocks it out of the park. He won't stop talking long enough to listen to anyone's explanations, because evidently he is too qualified to listen to lower life forms. I bet this guy makes a butt load of money, and he is worse than useless.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Accounting department is the worst I have seen. We have tried for 8 months to get a refund owed to us. They keep making excuses that they are researching it. I spent 2 and a half hours yesterday alone on this problem. You usually get someone that is overseas with limited English skills, but I found a phone number in the states. They get one star on Google also. I can not wait until our contract is up!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've been in the service industry overseeing the Accounts Payable departments for over 10 years, and never have I dealt with such a terrible vendor. The departments do not communicate, they do not respond quickly to emails (if ever), they do not care to lose customers, they do not care to waive charges even when they are in the wrong, and they are not understanding whatsoever to your company's conditions. If we didn't still have 53 months left on our lease that we, under the terms and conditions apparently, can not cancel or terminate until the end of the lease. I suggest anyone who is looking for a competitor with better service and the most comparable services/equipment to go with Neopost. That's who we'll be going with once our lease is finally up. I might buy out of the lease sooner just to be done with them. A waste of our money would almost be worth it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Absolutely the worst company to deal with EVER! One department doesn't know what's going on to the next. Takes forever to get anything resolved. Would never never never used this company again! Takes forever to get through automated system. Emails are never answered. Managers don't return calls. Absolute joke.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

This is the worst vendor our company ever had. For one, I believe that Pitney Bowes contracts lack sufficient disclosure. If you want to terminate a lease they want full payment until the end of the lease - no discount even for years in the future. Shouldn't this be clearly disclosed? They also make it impossible to return a meter without their permission by hiding the return location. Try to find this online. (FYI the location I was given is Pitney Bowes Direct Returns; Dock Doors 34, 5490 Industrial Court, Suite #100, Whitestown, IN 46075-8808. Their procedure is to charge $54 to send you a return box!)

In my experience they put me in contact with finance people who continually miscalculated the remaining payments. Higher of course. When I tried to correct them they dug in and sent a preemptive threatening letter as though I was going to default. How nice. I ended up keeping my meter until 90 days before the end of the lease and asked to return it on the website. No response. After 30 days I went back and saw that it was being "researched." When I tried to click on the explanation the website said that this section was temporarily unavailable. It continued to stay Unavailable. All in all it's like dealing with a criminal enterprise. Customers be damned!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Every transaction includes fees, including charging for credit card transactions. They tell you to cancel the service/subscription online, then block you from doing so. They make you go through 3 calls and wait time between each call.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

As an avid user of eBay lately especially when ordering from the UK it has become the only option to have the goods delivered via Pitney Bowes. It takes 3-4 weeks for a simple delivery to reach me. That's longer than stuff usually takes to come from China! The worst of all is there is no usable tracking number that would work here in Finland when the delivery has entered the country. For comparison Royal Mail often delivers in 3-4 days from the UK to Finland with a proper tracking number. The service just dismal is all I can say.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Manipulative, Hidden "contract" terms, money-hungry. I literally hate this company. I am finally at the end of a 3-year contract (which I feel I was tricked into). Should I have read the contract more clearly? Certainly. But when you can't count on the "kind" sales people on the line to give you the full story as they upsell you and "fix" things so that your fees aren't so unreasonably high... I'm sorry, I will NEVER do business with this company again. Be straight up about your policies. Be clear about your fees -- ALL of them. It's not so hard to work with a customer. I feel used and abused.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

In reading the reviews related to Pitney Bowes, it was comforting to know that so many people have experienced this horrible company and that I wasn't being singled out by the company to deliver the worst service and support to on the planet. I'm a commercial mailer mailing well over a half of a million pieces of mail a year. Their fees, cost of supplies, service and support are mind boggling. I have many pieces of their equipment that I own or lease from them. Every piece of equipment I have is either covered under my lease, or I have a maintenance agreement on to cover repairs and service on. Yet, they have over the years continually sent out repair invoices for repairs. Sometimes it takes me 6 months and 6 phone calls to resolve it.

Many times I'm resolving multiple invoices at one time. Just this month, they tried to run a repair bill through on my postage statement, something they have never done before as it is totally a different account from leases and equipment. Their philosophy seems to be wear the customer down and maybe they will pay it. Their fees and cost of supplies are going up every month. A cartridge for my posting machine was $189 a few years ago, this month they increased it $10 over last month's price, now at $312. We once got over 20,000 pieces through with one cartridge, we were only able to get 15,000 from the last one. I can tell you from experience, never, never believe one of their sales reps. I hang up on them now if one should call me. I cannot tell you enough to stay away from this terrible company at all cost, you WILL regret it. My time is about up with them, I can't wait.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Year after year Pitney Bowes staff or their computer system could not get my payments applied to the correct invoices and year after year I wasted time sending proof of payment over and over with no results. My Cases were resolved almost a year after they started and payment finally applied after I just got fed up and canceled. I can't believe the long hold times, 45 minutes just to send them payment information I had already sent. I was charged a late fee after late fee on invoices I had paid on time. It's a joke.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Have yet to have a positive experience with Pitney Bowes for the past 7 years. I set up "paperless" invoicing several months ago WITH email alerts. I did this because I was receiving their paper bills way to close to the due date (hmm could that be by design?) and could not get them processed through my AP department and in the mail timely enough, incurring constant late fees. There were times I did get them in the mail with a week to spare, and of course they received my payment ONE day after the due date. Another late fee.

Most recently I am not getting these email alerts to notify me when an invoice is ready on their website. I called about this, and the rep told me everything was fixed and ready to go. After still NOT receiving email alerts, I created a case. They responded by sending me instructions on how to set up email alerts. Either they have terribly unqualified people, or they just plain think their customers are not worth their time. So now I resort to checking the website each month to see if there's a bill ready.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If I could rate Pitney Bowes a zero I would. Very disappointing experiences with customer service that completely outweigh any benefits the actual meter may have over its competitors. The account rep selling us the lease was good, but disappeared as soon as the contract was signed. I reached out to him multiple times about the Purchase Power account, and he didn't even reply or respond.

The fees and finance charges are ridiculous. I set one account for autopay to avoid fees, and PB attached it to the lease instead of the postage account. So they had a $1000 credit on one account while they were charging me late fees and finance charges on the account they were supposed to credit. I disputed the charges multiple times through the web case support, phone, and email but since they applied my postage payment to the late fees, they said I'd paid the fees so I couldn't dispute them. When I persisted they sent me a "refund" check that they deducted from the postage I had already paid for, resulting in even more fees.

It has been an incredibly frustrating 6 months we've been with them. Service reps become rude as soon as I say I don't agree with their "resolution" that their fees are correct - this was their error they charged fees for. They turn me over to a supervisor who never contacts me, then close the case with the resolution that's best for them. Very short sighted business model. When I set the lease payment up for autopay, the payment was made by them, on time, and they still charged me a late fee 2 days after the payment was made.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

PB's customer service people are rude. PB requires multiple year contract and will not release you without complete payout and early termination penalties. Renewal information is sent for months and if you pay it you are stuck in a contract again. Horrible and frustrating company.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Five years ago I signed up with Pitney Bowes as the salesperson showed me how much I would be saving. Turns out he left the company immediately and nothing was as he said. Costs shot up and service was scarce. Finally replaced with a newer model and I fell for the pitch again. (Shame on me.) The full size toner I was told, based on my volume, would last nearly 1 year is out after 10 weeks. Customer service will only offer to ship me a new one for $110 - but that one should last longer. Right. Worst vendor I have worked with in the last 27 years. DO NOT CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

For 4 years I received non-existent customer service but had the supplies replenishment "department" basically stalking me every 2 weeks. I literally had to block their number. When my mailing volume changed, I requested a smaller meter with perhaps a lower monthly payment and was told that they don't provide that service. At all. When I finally required information on cancelling my account and lease duration, I couldn't get through to anyone. After 4 phone calls, each lasting at least an hour, in the attempt to speak to a representative about cancelling my account, I received absolutely no information and no return calls when I left messages. All emails were returned undeliverable. I finally stopped paying the bill and told their collections department I wouldn't be sending any payments until they had a representative contact me about my account. Still NOTHING!

On my 5th phone call I finally got through to a representative who took my information and informed me that he would have to see if I was allowed to cancel my lease contract. Upon escalation to yet another "department", I was told that I absolutely could not cancel my lease whatsoever, even though the postage meter did not work and they were not going to fix it. They would not even allow me to ship the machine back to them until my lease expires in 10 months. I even offered to pay out the lease and they still refused to cancel my account! This has been the absolute worst company to deal with, longest 4 years and 2 months of my entire life. This has been the worst break up I've ever had... It's not me Pitney Bowes, it's definitely you. "It's a real shame that postage meters will never make a miraculous comeback..." said nobody. EVER. Especially your customers. And even if they did, I'd rather take my chances with a carrier pigeon.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Our DM125/225 meter "ran out" of ink two years in a row on the same exact date. One year we mailed 1500-1700 pieces. The second year was less than 700 pieces. Allegedly the ink cartridge is supposed to last for at least 1000 pieces. The ink cartridges cost $104 USD and are only supposed to last 1000 mail pieces. It's only printing a meter stamp. Conversely, our HP toner cartridges cost $150 and print 6,000 full-size sheets.

Every little accessory for the meter is way overpriced and is a specialty item that can only be obtained through Pitney Bowes. You can buy off-brand meter ink elsewhere, but according to the reviews the off-brand doesn't consistently work with the meter so you're still stuck with Pitney Bowes. If you don't pay for the support contract, they'll charge you $500 for a support tech to come out to your meter - even if the issue is on their end. When our lease is up I think we're going to switch to **. It's only $15/month plus the cost of postage and you can use your own printer.

Original review: June 29, 2018

More than 15 months after we cancelled our contract - paid the lease cancellation fees - returned the equipment -- we are still getting random bills from the company. And they are random - I cannot even figure out why we go for months between them. Someone find Pitney Bowes a good systems analyst and clean up the company's very lax policies. Buyer beware on this company.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We recently upgraded a machine and contract. It took weeks for them to get the new machine operational. We were continued to be billed on a closed contract. Now we are getting multiple invoice and no one will speak to me via phone. You have to submit your concern into a system and the first question was a four week delay and they responded to question I didn't even ask! Now it's happened a second time. I'm ready to write the check and cancel the contract. I'd rather take mail to the local post office than to work with this company. In three months I've made probably 25 calls not to mention the emails. This company is ridiculous... And they don't seem to care at all. They have the market! Wake up America.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cancelled my personal postage meter. Requested box to return their crap and an Authorized Return Shipping Label. That took over 6 months to accomplish. Sent a certified letter to the VP of Customer Service. That person never bothered to call me or anything, but did manage to set up a "ticket" in their system. Wow, that helped! NOT. After persistent calling and nagging I finally got the box to ship back their "crap". Now, another 6 months later, I am still awaiting my Purchase Power refund. This is an out and out joke. I am thinking, seriously, about suing them. Never thought I would have to go that route, but it is now the principle of the fight!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been a Pitney Bowes customer for over 5 years now and don't know why I stay with them! Must be due to the contract and the outrageous fees for getting out of the contract! Their customer service is horrific! Not only are they rude, but they don't make any sense! I have to call them every time I get my invoice for the lease. They either overcharge me, add on late fees or they are sending me refunds!!! They never know what is going on and they are coughing and hacking into the phone not to mention it took me over 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone! As a business owner, time is so important but they don't seem to get it! Looking forward for my lease to be up and to use someone else!

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have had the same leased postage machine for over 11 years now. I have had so many issues with their billing and customer service. The machine had to have some parts replaced recently. The tech fixed it and left. A few days later, I get an invoice for over $500 for the replaced parts & service call. I called and was never able to talk to a live person so I went online and emailed them. After 4 weeks, I emailed them again. Another month goes by and now we are receiving invoices with late fees. Yet another month goes by and I. AM. Fuming.

I log into the website and see that the invoice has been credited. No phone call, no email, no apology. I guess I should be thankful that we were credited but seeing as this was not the first time they have tacked on charges for stuff (ie ValueMax, and the stupid overage fees for purchase power, the extremely aggressive late fees). Beware of their contracts - they are not upfront about anything and hide renewal dates, etc.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have called the customer service many time and they still could not resolve my issue. The customer service people are rude. Such a waste of time. They need to realize that most of the people that uses their service are business owners and have no time to waste calling their useless call centers. I called in because I keep getting phone calls that my account is past due and this is after I already set up my auto pay online. I called them to fix it and this lady put me on hold for 25 mins and the next person who answered the phone is just as useless as the first one. I wasted 40 minutes of my time for nothing.

Pitney Bowes Company Information