1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Pitney Bowes

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 4, 2017

84 Pitney Bowes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My department currently utilizes a postage meter from Pitney Bowes. Have found this company difficult to work with trying to get the meter repaired when it breaks is next to impossible. Customer service always says they will send a repair person but nothing gets done. If you are looking for a company that provides a good product in which customer satisfaction is valued then do not utilize this company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Dealing with Pitney Bowes to resolve an issue is a full time job. My company just rented a postage meter from PB (about 2 months ago) and in total, I have spent probably about 1 day on the phone - that is one day of being waiting on hold on the phone to be connected to a customer service rep. When I get connected, only once out of the 20 times I called my question was answered or issue resolved. All of the other times, I had to call back (and get on hold for about half an hour) until I speak with another incompetent customer rep.

Their callback service is completely useless. I tried it and when I get a callback, I am supposed to press 1 if I am on the line and I am ready to speak with a customer rep... well, that is a wishful thinking, when I pressed 1 on my phone, I get a message of incorrect entry. After 3 attempts of pressing 1 the call gets disconnected. I got 3 of these callbacks and not once my entry 1 was accepted. Super frustrating!!! Oh, and let me mention the reason for my latest attempt to contact PB... my credit card was charged $135 with no prior invoice and absolutely no explanation what is this for. Thank goodness for credit card chargebacks!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I had been a customer for many years. Charged a late fee even though I paid online on due date, gave excuse you have to pay online two days before it is due when I called. If that is the case they should make due date two days earlier. Terrible business practice!!! Not even sure if legal. I cancelled account and would NEVER recommend to anyone!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Pitney Bowes is unscrupulous. Even if you pay on the due date online, they still assess late fees. They claim you must pay two days in advance. I've never seen this done before. I understand Pitney Bowes is a dying business and they must do whatever they can to survive. But not on my dime.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

SCAMMERS!!! The worst company ever. DO NOT USE. PLEASE read all the bad reviews before leasing!!! Scammers. The postage machine is not worth it. I had it for my small business and ran into so many problems. Customer service is the worst. I was on hold for over half an hour. Then they said, "Leave your number and we will call you back" and never did. I cancelled the account and after they said, "You have a credit for postage for $150 that will go towards your rental" and closed my account. They still send me bills and said that they gave me free postage and I have to pay $150 instead of getting the credit for my postage. I talked to them for the past 6 months and all the employees are not educated and after saying your account is all paid in full they say, "No. You still have to pay." If I saw all their bad reviews I would have never used them. SCAMMERS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pitney Bowes?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Cost was to be $29 per quarter with discounted postage. Received the machine in April. It is August and we have been without postage for nearly a month. We are a small office and use VERY little postage. Have already spent well over $1,000. The wait on hold for customer service is ridiculous! Finding a phone number on the website difficult. They hold on to $500 for two weeks, still no postage. Call to find out there is a form they need completed and faxed back. Received a letter that says "It's that Easy" - with no mention of this form!! There is NOTHING EASY nor INEXPENSIVE about this!!! DO NOT USE PITNEY BOWES. We would have spent less having an employee drive around and hand deliver what we mailed!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Nightmare. When you add all their supply and rental charges, including improper ones, it costs about 1.25 to mail a 49 cent letter. When you try and cancel, you sit on hold, in my case almost an hour never reaching anyone before a disconnect. Their online chat help hung up on me. I opened 7 cases online. Several went a month with no response. Then they sent an email that they closed the online case "with my permission" although they didn't do anything or respond. When you contact the CEO his secretary, who sometimes signs things advocate, essentially sends screw you emails and says she won't help. Don't deal with PB. Licking stamps is better. And any of their competitors are better. I never thought a company could outdo Comcast, ATT and United in bad customer service but PB is the worst customer service experience in the world.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My postage machine which I rent from Pitney Bowes stopped working. I went online to my account on their website. I opened a 'Ticket' for customer service. I stated I want to close my account. I had had it with the poor performance. No one called or email me for 2 days. I called them. You have to verify who you are every time you are switched to a new rep. Name, address, phone, email, serial number, account number, company name.

When I finally got to the right person, 3 transfers later, they told me they don't take cancellations on the website. I told her IT DOESN'T STATE THAT anywhere on their website. What's the point of having a 'ticket' for help if they don't help every ticket and they don't tell you what they don't do?? In fact their website is very hard to navigate. Try finding a phone number to call them. They are worthless. They said I could cancel but there's a 30 day notice. I said, "That's great but my machine doesn't work, so why do I have to pay for 30 days with a machine that doesn't work." They said there's nothing they can do. I said, "Fine, send me a new machine I can use for the last 30 days." Got the machine and removed my postage from the old machine. $89. They said it would show up on my credit card in 7-10 days. (Why so long?)

Got the refund on the card... $86. They shorted me $3. Called to ask why. Was switched over to 3 people, again having to verify who I am each time, as if we were talking about the nuclear codes from White House... It's a freaking postage machine, get over yourself. Why do I have to verify so much each time?? I gave up because the person I got stuck with couldn't speak the English language well enough for me to understand him. I kept saying my credit was short by $3 and he kept saying, "You want to pay $3 for postage??" The customer service is awful. If they can't find a pre-printed answer for your question in their handbook they just tell you 'There's nothing I can do.' I went to Amazon and bought a postage scale for $20. Works great!

The post office is on my walk home, I stopped and bought $100 worth of stamps. The thought of never having to deal with Pitney Bowes again is so worth the minimal effort of peeling off a stamp and putting it on an envelope. If you have to use postage machine, google the service and find anyone else... You'll be sorry if you get stuck with the bad service and lack of care that I experienced with Pitney Bowes.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Pitney Bowes has ripped us off by charging us erroneous late charges when we were not late, and have made it impossible to dispute those charges and get them reversed. The new rip-off scheme they are trying to pull on us is sending us duplicate billing for the rental of our meter, for quarters going back to 2016 that we have paid. They sent these double invoices with a little note saying they had charges from prior periods that they were unable to apply to our account. I contacted PB through their online chat, because if you try to call you will most likely be on hold a minimum of 1 hr before speaking to someone who can never help you. I gave the online chat person the new invoices numbers, and gave them the original invoice numbers that I had paid, and I notified this person that I wanted to cancel my account. I was informed that someone would get back to me. That was 3 days ago.

Another rip off scheme they use is billing through Purchase Power, which is a Credit Card company with outrageous interest rates. I found a way to by-pass using them for refills by setting up our company's purchase card for those charges so that they don't go through Purchase Power. You can't get through to them to dispute the late fees they charge.

I am so done with this corrupt company... they are thieves and are dishonest. I hope that anybody who reads this before signing up with PB reconsiders. Our company had a horrible experience with PB 12 years ago, and I helped them get rid of the mailing machine back then for the same reasons I stated above, and 7 years later after being transferred back into accounting, I discovered they allowed PB back in again, and they are up to their old games. Now I am dealing with getting rid of them again and getting the double billing corrected. Do not use Pitney Bowes unless you like being charged $29.99 late fee, plus $2.33 finance charges every billing cycle on top of your rental payment.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Worst company in the world to deal with - waste of time and money. Same complaints as the hundreds of other people on here - horrible customer service. 1 month free trial has turned into over $200 in bills, imaginary late fees and hours upon hours of being on hold trying to close the account! Do yourself a favor and do not sign up with this company!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Pitney Bowes is essentially run like a criminal enterprise. Our experience with them is that they will shamelessly assess bogus late fees and compound them (late fees on late fees) for the length of the contract. When the bogus late fees are not paid after some time, they will apply your prepaid postage payments to the fraudulent late charges and render your machine unusable because you no longer have postage $$ available. They then force you to send emergency payment for postage so you can use your machine again. When our contract expired we made it abundantly clear by phone and in writing that we were not renewing. Pitney Bowes ignored our communications and enrolled us in a new 3 year contract and has been invoicing us ever since for rental of a machine we no longer use.

Original review: June 8, 2017

If you like to be charged finance charges and late fees even though your payment was received in time then definitely use this company. They won't post your payment until after the due date and they charge you fees and say they have up to 2 business days after receiving your payment to post. I have had to argue with them several times and I even have proof of payment being received in time. Anyone interested in getting a class action lawsuit against this company let me know because I will definitely sign up. I am cancelling service with this company and will put out every complaint I can against them.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Good luck trying to close your account with them. We decided to not review our contract when it expired at the end of March 2017. Their SALESPEOPLE are reachable, but NOT if you want to cancel your contract. They were notified on March 30th that we would not review; we were paid through the end of March. They never responded regarding their return of their equipment. It is now June 2017 and they have sent us a bill for a full 3 months on a postage meter we are no longer using!! Attempt to reach them by phone, email, etc. NEVER get a response. I am waiting at this moment for a return call from voicemail. Hell. I'm sure nothing will come of it and they will continue to bill and then send to collections for non-payment like they are the victims.

Original review: June 8, 2017

In August of 2016, I had discrepancies with my Pitney Bowes invoice. After spending hours on the phone with Pitney Bowes I was assured that if I made a payment of $21.30, everything would be corrected and I'd be paid through September, 2016. I made the payment on September 2, 2016. My monthly rate was $9.95. October 2016, I received an invoice for $63.10. On the same day, I contacted Pitney Bowes to correct the invoice (should have been $9.95) and to return the meter as I couldn't deal with it anymore. Pitney Bowes ignored both request. I continued to call. Finally on December 20, 2016, they gave me a case number for the Client Service team subject matter: Return the meter. I had to have a case number, and have my request investigated before I could return the meter! I finally was able to return the meter at the end of December.

On January 19, 2017, the return of my meter was acknowledged and my balance was reflected as a credit balance of $13.96. Did not receive the $13.96, instead in March, 2017, a bill collector, "AMS", started calling, emailing, and mailing me collections letters. I provided them with a twelve page package documenting the situation and disputing the debt. They thanked me and said they would "get the matter resolved". They didn't. Beginning in May, 2017, a different bill collector, "RNA", started calling, emailing and mailing me collection letters. Thereafter, I put together a package and mailed it to: Marc B. Lautenbach, CEO of Pitney Bowes, 3001 Summer St., Stamford, CT 06926 and by copying RNA in the letter have once again disputed the debt. Quite honestly, I do not expect Mr. Lautenbach to do anything especially in light of all the other complaints I have read. Bottom line: Do not get involved with Pitney Bowes.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Our business has used Pitney Bowes for many years. I would have discontinued using them several years ago, but because I didn't read close enough, when they sent me a renewal contract, it was for a long renewal. When I called to see if the contract could be cancelled, the cost to cancel was more than just paying out the remaining term. Make sense? They send out the renewal contract WAY before it's actually due, so read carefully. In addition, the majority of the people I have spoken with are not nice/friendly. They act like they are on commission to get the deal and like they are happy when they know that you are displeased.

Their website is miserable to use. I just did an online survey for this - doubt will make any difference. Right now, I've been on hold for 24 minutes about not receiving credit for an overpayment. This is not unusual. Always on hold for a long time. They are just too big to provide good service. While I appreciate getting a discount on regular postage, we plan to buy from another service when our contract is up. It's just not worth dealing with them.

Original review: June 6, 2017

We are a very small business that has had to pay so much money to this company, I would never recommend signing a lease with Pitney Bowes. Our lease has been up for almost a year now and they still continue to bill us for equipment that we don't even want! Its a big game to them. They refuse to allow us to send it back and every month we have it they charge us! Our lease has been up for a while now, we have been trying to resolve this mess for months now and every time we call Pitney Bowes we get the run around after being on hold for 45 mins. We have wasted so much time and money dealing with Pitney Bowes.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Had an issue with their billing and tried to call to discuss. YOU CANNOT GET THROUGH TO A HUMAN BEING. I will be cancelling service - sent them an email - we will see how long it takes for that to be responded to. This company is TERRIBLE about customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2017

My company is due a refund of an overpayment made over 2 years ago. I have started hundreds of online cases that just get closed "with my permission"; right... I have held for hours on the phone to talk to people who cannot do anything. Excuses, excuses. If you can do anything else than sign with PB do it! Go to USPS Online or, I don't know, hire a driver and truck and just drive your product where it needs to go, but don't ever sign up with PB.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Absolutely, a colossally disastrous company to deal with. Do yourself a favour and do not get yourself hung up in their contracts. Even further google how to cancel a Pitney Bowes contract - laughable.

Original review: May 3, 2017

As a small business owner, I feel Pitney Bowes punches me in the stomach, month after month, year after YEAR, for their shady "leasing policies". I cannot WAIT until I can permanently end my participation in your scam. If you have been considering using PB's services, run far and fast in the opposite direction. (Unless you want to keep throwing money at unused, antiquated equipment!)

Original review: April 28, 2017

Previous employees opened PB accounts - tried to close and took MONTHS to fix. We acquired another company that had a PB machine and the nightmare is starting all over again - no customer service, overbilling, no return labels. It feels like a black hole that one cannot get out of - unless you spend countless hours on hold and in a Catch 22 of being forwarded and forwarded and round and round to the same departments only to be told the previous department should be able to help you - NO - THERE IS NO HELP!!! Save yourself or those who will come after you time and money. STAY AWAY from this AWFUL, DISHONEST company.

Original review: April 25, 2017

My company has had a PB postage machine for about 12 years. We no longer need the service and decided not to renew when the lease expired this month. PB is telling me that they never invoiced me for a quarter one year ago, and there is a $50 cancellation fee. So, they will not close the account, even though it expired, until I pay about $170.00. What kind of business is this? I still have the machine, it can sit here until the cows come home or I get tired of looking at it and put it in the dumpster.

Original review: April 17, 2017

We kept receiving multiple bills per month for odd amounts, so when logging onto our online account to view and pay invoices, I noticed that under Account Information, some other business's postage information and personal information was listed along with ours. This other business is a law firm located in Virginia, we are a medical office in Nebraska. I called Pitney Bowes to resolve this twice (the first time I sat on hold for 26 minutes until an automated voice came on saying "We are unable to take your call at this time *click*" and then hung up on me). The second time, I got through to someone who needed to transfer me to "Computer/Online Technical Support" or something of that sort.

After being transferred to 3 different people, I finally spoke with a woman named Katherine whom I needed to explain the problem to several times before she understood. She did some clicking around on her end before stating the problem was fixed. I asked her to stay on the line while I make sure the other business's account had been removed on my end. I logged out of our account and logged back in, and sure enough, it still showed up as one of our accounts.

I let her know this and after having to re-explain the problem to her, she did more clicking around and said it had been fixed. Again, I logged out and logged back in to verify. Sure enough, again, the other account is still under our account. She then proceeds to say "Well, I have fixed the problem so I am not sure what you want me to do." (Lady, I've explained what I want you to do, it's definitely your job to know what to do for the customer). She then tells me she has opened a case for this problem and will escalate it further with her managers or others in her department, and then call me back in "approximately 2 days" (again, not sure why it would take that long for an issue like this, but I'm tired of being on the phone for now 43 minutes at this point).

Two days pass, and she calls me back and lets me know the issue has been fixed. I log on to verify, and once again, it has not. The other account is still showing up on ours, this time with their postage machine serial number and everything. She then tells me she will take the case once more to her managers or co-workers and get back to me in one day. One day passes, and no phone call. Another day passes, still no phone call. The next day, I receive an email from Pitney Bowes Support stating: "Good day. This is to inform that we've been trying to reach you however seems like you are unavailable. We will be closing this case for now but if you feel that the issue is still unresolved please give us a call at 844-256-6444 for us to open another case for you. Thank you for choosing Pitney Bowes."

No one has tried to reach me. I have been in my office every day, working at my desk all day for the past few days. I have no voicemails on my phone, and I don't think she should have an issue getting ahold of me, she had no trouble the time before when she called me back. Anyway, as a customer I feel helpless and unsure how to proceed to get help from anyone. It's not a good place to be in when you feel that the company you're doing business with has incompetent, unhelpful, shady people representing it.

Original review: April 10, 2017

Please do yourself a favor, don't sign up with these guys, an absolute scam & nightmare. I have had them for years and every few months they change the billing, sign me up for some account I never asked for and then you're on hold forever trying to sort it out. They make excuses for everything and deny everything the last contact promised you. I'm going to get my last dispute handled with them and then cancel once & for all... I'd rather lick stamps for the rest of my life than have to deal with these dishonest time & money killers.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I originally signed a lease with Pitney Bowes in December 2010. It was a 42 month lease. In March 2014 they sent me a renewal. This time it was for a 36 month lease. So when I do the math, my lease should be ending in June 2017. I decided to go with Neopost as the lease is half the price. I called Pitney Bowes to cancel my lease. She stated my lease does not end until January 2018. She could not explain to me how they came up with that date but said there was nothing she could do.

I filed a complaint with them and a representative called me back and said I would have to pay almost $600 to get out of the lease. I asked again how they came up with the lease end date and how they came up with the amount they are asking me to pay. He could not do either. I will also point out, that there is no Beginning date or ending date on any piece of paper I signed stating the lease term. STAY AWAY FROM THIS UNFAIR TACTIC OF SCAMMING CUSTOMERS. I can't believe the amount of comments here, saying the same thing that happened to me. My choice now is to pay the remaining balance which is two more payments on my lease at $108 instead of paying $600 to terminate my contract. Check out Neopost, if you want a postage meter.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I was on hold for at least 20 minutes and when I finally got in touch with someone they set an appointment to come repair their broken equipment. Not 30 minutes later I got a call from them rescheduling the appointment for 4 days from now. This is unacceptable and while I was trying to talk to the person about getting a better time or why there was such a delay SHE HUNG UP IN MY FACE. I did not attack or swear at this person. They just decided they were done talking to me. When I called back to file a complaint I was left on hold for another 20 minutes. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I recommend that no one ever use this company.

Original review: March 30, 2017

This is the worst Customer Service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. They illegally opened a Purchase Power line of credit for our business. We did not request or authorize it. It has taken me 3 months of trying to get this closed and once, I thought it was closed, got an email confirming it was closed, only to get a new invoice in the mail for the Purchase Power. They have also raised the rental rates with no notification. Tried to claim we broke a lease agreement when we returned the machine when we were always on a rental contract.

Calling them is a joke; you wait 20-30 minutes at a time and have to fight to get an issue resolved. Their online "case" operation is also for the birds. I opened 5 cases about the same thing in one day only to have them closed by a CSR with no resolution. This company's practices need to be investigated, especially when it comes to opening Purchase Power line of credit with no authorization from the business owner. I am still waiting for a letter of confirmation regarding the closure of that account. I have a feeling that their CSRs are based in a foreign country. I will never do business with Pitney Bowes again. Anyone who gets caught in their trap has a long road ahead to get out.

Original review: March 28, 2017

The 3 month free trial and $19.99 month sounded great. I was able to set up the machine with no problem. The online video was easy enough. The nightmare began when I need to synchronize the "Smart Device" and it would not connect. I spent over an hour trying and re-trying to sync this device. When I finally reached Tech Support, the agent was difficult to understand (language accent) and I felt I knew as much, or more, about how to sync than she did! I wasted more time having to repeat the entire process yet again! I could spend an hour describing the painful and difficult process with customer / technical support. The problem was not resolved to my satisfaction and I spent almost 3 hours between the initial call, on hold time, and many transfers to different departments.

When I asked if a person could come to my place of business to assist me in set-up, I was abruptly advised that because the postage meter we had was "the smaller unit", they did not provide on-site assistance. They wanted to charge me $150 if I insisted on this service. Then I was told they would ship another device and I needed to return the old one - at MY COST! When I argued this point, I was transferred again to another department. PB kept insisting I let them ship a new device and wait days for arrival then repeat the setup process to correct what may have been a defective device. I decided to return the meter. Not worth my time!

Although PB included the postage-paid return label, the ground carrier was not authorized to PICK-UP so we would have to incur a charge for that! I had to go to store and purchase shipping tape AND schlep the package to nearest UPS store. Wow. What a fun time with Pitney Bowes. The entire experience left me frustrated and disappointed with a company whose brand I thought was trusted and reliable. They are great on the sales side. Very helpful and informative. But it appears they only are interested in getting and keeping your business. Not actually assisting you and going out of their way. Now, I feel I need to follow up to be certain my account is not charged for some B.S. thing or God help me, that they say they did not receive the unit back. This would be my Tweet:

#Pitneybowesstinks!

Original review: March 24, 2017

After receiving the MailStation 2 system over one month ago on a trial account, it is a brick. I am a software programmer, and this type of system should be very simple to setup and operate. The Pitney Bowes Customer Service is non-existent. This company is brain-dead for the smaller user... I would assume large-volume mailer receive good care for their huge accounts, but if you are interested in a trial system for a small business, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Original review: March 21, 2017

So I'm right now on hold. Expecting another 30 minutes trying to get my $309 refund after returning my Pitney Bowes machine. Fifth time they have put me through Hold Hell. Each time I finally get through to a representative, I hear all sorts of promises. But then never see the refund. And the next call starts the process all over again. This has been going on since November 2016. I will be thrilled when Pitney Bowes goes bankrupt and will do whatever I can to help this truly evil company die a miserable death. Back to hold...

Pitney Bowes Company Information