1.13/5

Discover a recommended PEO service now

Paychex

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of integrated human capital management solutions for payroll, benefits, human resources, and insurance services.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

47 Paychex Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was using Paychex for years, at first it was fine. Went through specialists like I was drinking water but it didn't bother me as my payroll was simple, until my last specialist!! I hired a new employee, he was working out so I decided to give him a raise after 6 months. I call my payroll in and let them know about the pay increase, when receiving his first higher rate paycheck my employee asks me if he is making more money an hour why is his pay less?? Good question right?

I call my specialist, I ask the same question?? She is looking at her computer, "Let me get back to you" she says. Next day I get a call, this is what she tells me, you ready... She set up my employees' account to only deduct social security every paycheck for the first six months, no deductions for State or Federal taxes in every paycheck for six months???? Was I supposed to babysit the specialist on doing her job???? Needless to say I paid the back taxes for my employee.

Fast forward two years later, I get a solicit email from a Andrew ** from Paychex. Name your own price for fees?? I respond nice and simple, "Paycheck sucks" and hit send. I get a response back to my surprise from Andrew "Sooooo see you next Tuesday @ 3?" This is the kind of people you want to help you with your business?? I don't think so.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I retained PayChex to do one end of year payroll. All they had to do is make one payment to one employee and file the proper forms with the IRS. I advised them multiple time that I was closing the company and to tick the appropriate box on the Federal return and fill in the date on the RT-6 to advise the IRS and State of Florida I was closing the company and this was a final return. I guess I should be half happy they got the IRS form right but they totally botched the RT-6. Not only did they not supply the information that this was a final return, today I get a notice from the Florida Department of Revenue that the RT-6 was incomplete. They are expensive and inept. When I call them their representative said I had to fix the problem they could not. Beware if you are thinking about using their service.

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Nothing but problems from the start. I switched from Intuit to try to save some money and I have nothing but regrets. I get non-stop calls and emails from multiple parties/people associated with payroll. They clearly DO NOT understand that I do not want to talk to them. PAYROLL should be EASY. I don't need 5 different people trying to walk me thru how to enter hours into an app. Seriously, I had no issues over 2.5 years and never had to talk to anyone to get my account setup and running with Intuit. Then, after wasting hours with them, they fail to file the first payroll! Then, the next payroll, they take out funds for checks that I WRITE! WTF?! I indicated I am writing the checks - not them. Once in their app, it looks like it was developed by junior college kids. It was obviously made by someone that has no idea how or what the end users want. AVOID.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I cancelled in 4/2018 and still being charged monthly. No response. Endless hold pattern once they determine my problem. I can't imagine the response once this review gets posted. I tried the online "bot" and get told I must call and speak direct.

Paychex response

John, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Paychex signed us up for 401k and took thousands of dollars out of my corporate account prior to anyone in company approving 401k participation. I have been told that this is ILLEGAL by several employment specialists and CPS's. I have also spoken to as many people as I can at Paychex to terminate our relationship and 6 weeks later they are still taking money out of my corporate account. These people are crooks!!!

Paychex response

Katherine, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I've been with Paychex for over a year. The sales process to acquire my business was phenomenal. Every rep was better than the next. Things were moving along smoothly until I ran into a problem and couldn't afford to continue the HR services. I come from a service background and have a passion for quality customer service. Once I discontinued HR solutions, I continued with a new client rep. He was WONDERFUL! A few months later I received an email that I was getting a new rep which I knew wasn't good. Alex was OUTSTANDING! He new the business very well and as unpredictable as my business is, he made me feel like my need for assistance was no big deal, seamless. I always finished the interaction feeling valued.

My new rep is the exact opposite. Not only does she not understand my business but she doesn't appear to know hers either. I'm ok to work with someone that's learning as long as they are willing to be honest and get help on things they don't know. I had to have two payrolls backdated, I explained that I had given one employee a cash advance to help him pay his rent. She told me I had to backdate the payroll to the date I gave the cash advance, I was told that was not true and it cost me a significant amount of money. I had to follow up on the payroll because it sat in a pending status which was blamed on a supervisor. That was one of the payrolls that needed to be backdated the second one just didn't appear.

I called and left messages, sent emails, contacted customer service, explained the situation and was promised the reps manager would be notified and would contact me. I waited two days and no one contacted me. I sent an email to my previous rep and asked for assistance in speaking with a manager, no response. I am now feeling very uncomfortable, I've trusted this company with my payroll and tax reporting and I can't get anyone to help me. Finally I called customer service and started all over explaining my issues. She wanted to send me to my rep but I insisted she not and ask to work with her. She did all that she could to make me whole including speaking with two supervisors to help with a tax reporting issue that I was given different answers of what I was responsible to do.

I'm still waiting for this to be settled and pray it doesn't cost me any more money in penalties. I decided to take a look at the reviews only to find I made a HUGE mistake when I decided to go with this company. The customer service experience is constantly weighed. If a company is truly committed to a quality customer experience it is experienced at every encounter because it's the philosophy of the organization. Paychex clearly crashed and burned on this devalued customer! Customer Service training is clearly needed for all...

Paychex response

Theresa, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have been using the pay checks PEO system for two years. It is a nightmare. My 401(k) profit-sharing is a disaster, I’m not in compliance, and I’ve lost my ability to put away from my retirement. My personal financial advisor says he has never seen such gross incompetence in his 15 years of working with PEO 401(k) profit-sharing plans. In 2018 I am on a 50-50 split with my employees for medical health benefits. They took at 75% I paid and 25% the employees paid. It’s been two weeks and they have been unable to figure out why they are charging me more than I am supposed to and less for the employees.

To add insult to injury, it is the head of the company and the bookkeeper that has found all these egregious errors. If you don’t think the above is bad enough, two weeks ago they paid my employees four times their normal payroll and wiped out my operating bank account. It is taking over two weeks to rectify. They will take no responsibility for any of their actions. You can’t get anyone to give you a straight answer and I can’t even report my profit-sharing for 2018 because I’ve gotten three sets of numbers so far and none of them appear to be correct.

At this point, all they do is delay and delay in conversations about each one of these issues. My staff has caught all of the errors, they have absolutely no oversight and no safeguards in place for any of the above actions listed. Ignore all of their apologies that they give after each one star review, they are meaningless. My hope by posting this is that they finally get back to me with answers. My patience is wearing thin. They have cost me well over $25,000 in losses due to their negligence.

Paychex response

Hello Melanie, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level manager involved to ensure that your concerns are addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name so I may follow up with you. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving Paychex the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I'm an employee from a company that uses Paychex. It's the absolutely worst experience I've had with a payroll company. They started charging for health insurance, and when I went to use it I didn't have it yet. I then was told on the website I no longer had insurance and they continue to charge me. When I sent a complaint they advised they will not refund any money. They are disgusting and will not be in business long if they can't work these things out. Look at the list of complaints. ADP is truly the way to go!

Paychex response

Laura, I apologize for your experience. Please confirm the business name of your employer by private message and I will look into this further for you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Have been using Paychex for payroll for a few years, and their service has been unbelievably, terribly, horrendously bad. Communication is non-existent. Account specialists change monthly. Fees fluctuate wildly for no explainable reason. Payroll errors repeated again and again, despite giving them detailed instructions, reminding them of past errors, and begging them not to make the same mistakes again.

So I close my account - all they have left to do is send me my paperwork. Can't screw that up, right? Wrong. They sent all my tax information to an Address "A" which I haven't lived at over a year (despite me telling them several times I had moved). When I told them of the error, they sent it to Address "B" - an even older address I haven't lived at in more than three years! When I correct them again, they ask me for proof of my current address, which I provide. Then nothing. When I later ask for an update, the same person seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, and tell me "There's no problem - we show it was delivered to Address A! Thanks!" Completely clueless.

Paychex response

Brad, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Please confirm your business name and contact info in private message and I'll have a manager follow up with you. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

They keep charging bank account after you cancelled services. They add fees unrelated to your business. Employees are having trouble moving 401 to their IRA. Supposed to have been 10 days. Now it's been 2 months. You're supposed to have a payroll specialist. Well good luck with that. Worst company ever. Stay away from them.

Paychex response

Alexander, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'd like to have a 401k manager follow up with you on your employees' 401k transfers. Please respond privately to confirm your business name and contact information.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have processed payroll with Paychex and have had a few errors throughout the years usually when my regular client specialist is not available. I do not know what is going on currently but the last 4 payrolls have had issues. I do not intend to keep processing with them if possible as I have no intention of dealing with a company where my client specialist is non-responsive and her supervisor seems to be lackadaisical. Other team members that picked up the slack seemed to be responsive. Payroll not processed until the last moment after emails and calls to client specialist when the information provided the night before the payroll is required to be input. Having to call multiple times and get "anyone" available to process the payroll and correct mistakes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Worst experience and worst customer service. I canceled the service. Still they still taking money from my account. I will go to my bank and I will ask them to block these guys. DO NOT go with these guys at all.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Paychex has yet to figure out how to stop charging for a product you no longer have. We closed our original account and they have continued to charge us. It has been over 3 months and they will not respond to emails or calls. Now they are holding up the W-2's on that account. I'm trying to find out where they are and I am still not getting a response.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

They consistently screw up my payroll. I usually call it in so that the so-called experts can process it without incident. However, that is usually not the case. They cost more than ADP (who is the company I left for Paychex). Most recently they processed my payroll twice from the wrong amounts. As a result it caused several overdrafts to hit my account and now it's been almost a week and they still haven't worked it out. I will be switching back to ADP as soon as this mess is fixed. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Couldn't be more unhappy with this business. Strike One: Mistakes. Large errors in my payroll. One of my employees had to have three checks written to him before it was addressed and paid the proper amount. Strike Two: Sloppy paperwork. Paychex wasn't able to send me updated paperwork to confirm that I wasn't overcharged on payroll taxes due to these additional checks written. Several phone calls and emails never cleared up the matter. Strike Three: Bald-faced Lies. I was quoted a price for the service, and then charged more than DOUBLE the quoted price. Both for payroll services and preparation of W2s.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Veronica ** sales agent in Rochester, NY. Called her for help getting general liability insurance for my company, she messed up the terms on the contract, lied about correcting them, I foolishly followed her "expert" advice and am now out of my money and still uninsured. Haven't been able to get her or anyone in the office on the phone or by email for 2 days. Finally 3 days later, Tyler a rude and uninformed sales agent picked up my call after a 2 hr hold. He was clearly disgruntled about helping me or giving us any direction on how to reach Veronica. He said, "It's your fault. You should have caught her mistake." Asked if I needed anything else and was gone. I am flabbergasted that a company can just drop the ball so completely without care or concern for their clients. How are y'all still in business?!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Paychex Sales agent quoted me a price for our business and then I was charged a higher amount, I called to complain and I kept getting the runaround and kept giving me different people to talk with. I would be on the phone with them for 4 hrs and this was suppose to be a easy transition, then I moved my 401K and was only going to get charge $200 a month for recording fees and see that I got charged $240.00, this company lies too well. I should say the Sales agents do. Obviously they work on commission. I am going to be looking for another payroll company and move my 401k of all my employees to another company. Don't waste your time and get pricing because there will be hidden fees somewhere. Dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This company is horrible. Usual delivery guy goes on vacation often so from getting paid in timely manner means we won't get paid until next day. Anytime new guy takes over route he screws us all. Not only is it late by hours or a day we also have to then scramble to cash or deposit checks to pay bills and get groceries. Like wtf. How are they still in business?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have never experience a company make so many mistakes, then try to charge us fees for their mistakes! They routinely changed payroll amounts to employees without interacting with us. They would then want to charge correction fees, until I complained to supervisors, and sometimes the supervisor's supervisor. They failed to transfer state income taxes for one of our employees, tried to blame us for failing to file the proper paperwork, ignored our documentation of filing correctly, tried to assess a $400 correction fee, encouraged us to lie about the employee's move date and still have yet to resolve the issue after 8 months.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My company has Paychex retirement services. I fell into hard times and had to take a distribution. I gave ample time and took all the necessary steps and was assured funds would be released to me on August 9th to avoid disruption to my credit and landlord. That was verified both via website and rep several times. Today (the 9th), their website changed my payment date. I had to call several representatives before one would even put me on with a "manager" who wouldn't even tell me WHY the date had changed - just that giving me more information wouldn't change the fact that I wouldn't be paid by the promised date. I never thought I'd fall on such financial difficulty that I'd need to draw from my 401k. I have never seen a company be so incompetent, then be so unapologetic and rude about their own mistake. Am I overreacting, or is this a theme of Paychex and a reason they have a 2/5 Star rating on Consumer Affairs?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Paychex didn't file 941 for two quarters and I didn't find out about it until a year later when I was notified by the IRS. I had already discontinued service with Paychex because they don't have good customer service and now I can't get access to the information I need to file the forms and I can't get Paychex to fulfill their obligation to file the forms that I already paid them to file.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I just got off the line with a helpful customer service tech and thought I should share a review of my own. When I hire a new employee, it takes a while for me to learn their strengths and weaknesses. I am willing to look past or put up with some weaknesses as long as their strengths fit our needs. So it goes with software. There are things that I hate about the software. But, despite that, it works for me. The learning curve for me is likely longer than it is for others. The software requires that I do things twice in different places which confuses me. But I can pick up the phone and call someone and get an answer to my confusion at just about any time. They don't ridicule me for my lack of understanding. They help me to understand the software.

The key for me is that I've often thought the problem was from the company only to find that it is because I don't understand or misunderstand the software. The support team has helped to keep me from making large mistakes because of that. I understand that other users might blame the company for the poor software. I refuse to do that. I need to learn the software with its strengths and flaws and it works for me. I appreciate that it is available to me.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I opened up a solo 401K for my business with Paychex. Now not only are they charging me a monthly fee they want to charge me $1500 to transfer my account to Vanguard (who by the way will do this same transaction for $75). This is completely outrageous! They give me the run around every time I call and are impossible to deal with. I would never use them again!!! They overcharge you for everything and then provide terrible service.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Paychex is a joke company! It took them 5 or 6 different pay stubs to finally get me paid on time. My account specialist called once, and never called again! They never returned a call, or an email since our first initial meeting which I have been with Paychex for almost a year now. Their account specialist are extremely rude. Most of the time have no idea what they are talking about. When speaking with her she said "she had no idea who I was." What is the point of having a direct contact if they don't even know their clients. They say they are there to "help" but they are not. They are don't bother. My recommendation is to never do business with this company, I would have gone zero stars but it doesn't let me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Paychex double paid an employee, didn’t file my start quarterlies. Files incomplete reports after I had cancelled. Has not refunded my money for the penalty or the invoicing they did after cancellation. Like 6 months or more after cancellation, still receiving quarterly reports with zero balances because there’s nothing to report. They are a ridiculous excuse for an accounting company. So many mistakes. More work than doing it myself.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I dealt with Paychex for over 20 years flawlessly on both our parts and they never skipped a beat. I formed a new company awhile ago. I provided them all the info to do withholding for 2 states. When one state contacted me and said they have never received and reports. I spoke to my rep and was assured this wasn't the case. After 2 weeks of back and forth it turn out it was the case but it was my problem and the supervisor claimed that the conversation I had with my payroll rep never happened. I sucked it up and confirmed that all was good with my South Carolina account and was assured, "Yes, all was in order" only to find out 1 year later that the same issue was happening in South Carolina and the employment commission went into my account and took 3k...

Again was assured by my rep that it was an administrator mistake and it would be handled. 3 weeks later a different arrogant manager that I left 6 messages for over 10 days finally took my call (never called me). Told me nothing they can do and if I'm that dissatisfied maybe it's time to switch companies. This is insane!! She couldn't tell me a reason for anything other than not their issue and spoke as if I had just woken her up from a deep sleep. No energy and completely disinterested in the problem other than to tell me again that my payroll rep wouldn't say that...

I suggested that she pull the recordings as every call says it will be recorded as I could provide date and approximate time of call, her response "We don't record calls. We just put that on the recording." They used to be a class A company for payroll. No issues, didn't even have to think about anything other than submitting payroll weekly and they took care of the rest. What a shame how horrible they have become. And for the record this is only my 2nd review on a company in my life if that tells you anything about how bad it is.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Paychex 401 retirement services - I have been trying to close my account for the past 6 months and they have been making it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to do so. I file the paperwork. And I still get bills in the mail. It's a big joke at this point. They just won't let me out.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We used Paychex on-line payroll accounting for several years. The software was unreliable and crashed often. It did get better with time but there were still problems when we decided to migrate elsewhere. Our rep. made a mistake on our reporting that cost us substantial penalties. The rep refused to own up to it and resigned soon after. We put our account on hold in mid-summer while we moved our location. After a few months Paychex started to charge us a user fee even though we had no payroll. At the end of the year we had to pay the user fee in order to access our account for reporting. My experience corresponds with others as they continued to try to raid our bank account even though we were not using the service. I would not recommend this company to anyone. We are very happy with our new service.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am a small business with just two employees, each in a different state. Paychex repeatedly did not pay employer taxes on time, the error being discovered when I had to sign for registered letters from one state alerting me of the delinquency. To get it correct took weeks, and countless hours of my time following up their various departments and managers. Granted, they did give me several weeks of "free" payroll, but my time and business reputation are worth more than their compensation.

As I write, it's been over a year since I moved my payroll services and I'm STILL dealing with Paychex mistakes. In this case, it's an employee disability policy that they can't seem to properly cancel. I'm an insurance broker myself. I promise you, it's not difficult to cancel a policy. Run, don't walk in the other direction. THERE ARE TOO MANY PAYROLL PROVIDERS OUT THERE TO RISK YOUR BUSINESS REPUTATION AND ACCOUNTING WITH PAYCHEX!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been using Paychex as my payroll company for two years now. During that time the customer service was terrible. They have very high turnover of employees and every couple of months I was having to retrain my new specialist who would run my payroll incorrectly. Finally I decided I had enough and was going to hire someone new at the beginning of the year but when I googled quitting Paychex I found lots of people saying when they tried to quit they suddenly came up with "additional charges" and just took the money from their bank account.

So before I said I wanted to cancel I called my bank and asked them to block any further auto withdrawals. It's a good thing I did because after asking five times to close my account and to be sent a final bill, and after paying that final bill, they suddenly sent me a "new final invoice" with $418 owed for miscellaneous fees I had never heard of nor paid before during my two year history with them. Whatever you do never, ever use this company for any services because they will try and scam you out of additional funds if you try to leave. If anyone else out there is interested in joining me and finding a lawyer to sue them I would love to hear from you.

Paychex expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paychex, Inc. was founded in 1971 as a payroll outsourcing company. Today they serve over 600,000 clients in more than 100 locations across the United States. Paychex provides payroll and human resources products and services for small, midsize and large businesses.

• Grows with your business: Paychex has separate options for small, midsize and large businesses, so small businesses can grow with Paychex to have the right solutions for their needs from the same company.

• Cloud accounting software: Small businesses will appreciate Kashoo software, a cloud based software specifically designed as a simple online accounting solution. Take care of all your accounting needs with this cloud software that also works on mobile devices.

• Tax services: Paychex’s tax service solution Taxpay helps small businesses with payroll and sales taxes. Taxpay works with Paychex Payroll to manage your business’s tax payments and all IRS electronic filing and reporting requirements.

• Benefits mobile app: Download Paychex Flex from your android or iPhone app store to stay connected, view paystubs, view retirement balances and enrollment information and more. Employees and business owners will benefit from the convenient features of Paychex Flex.

• Paychex Time mobile app: Paychex Time is another mobile app available for Paychex customers. It allows employees to punch in and out right from their mobile device. The app doesn’t contain payroll data, so employees can stay logged in without risking the exposure of their private and secure information.

• Best for: Paychex is best for small and midsize businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Rochester
    NY
    www.paychex.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.