3.8/5 (547 ratings)
Find a PEO Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Paychex

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

Pros

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Bottom Line

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

Top Paychex Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this produ...

Verified

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I ...

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
  • Business loans
  • Tax services
  • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
  • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
  • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
What is Paychex Flex?
Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
How much does Paychex cost per month?
Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
Does Paychex do direct deposit?
Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
What bank does Paychex use?
Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 3, 2022

I have been using Paychex for 15+ years with very few issues... HOWEVER the last 2-3 years we have noticed a definite decline in service. Not only is it very difficult to get anyone there to respond to concerns, but the mistakes and the number of missed processed payrolls has been getting ridiculous. There is no follow up or responsibility taken to make sure everything is in place to run your payroll. It is the absolute worst feeling when your employees call you at 6am because they didn't get paid. Then you spend hours on the phone to get a hold of someone to let them know your payroll did not get processed.

Nice internal notification system- wait for the client to notify you that your systems didn't work. When trying to reach my specialist I am no longer able to get through easily and put on hold for times exceeding a half hour - 45 minutes and it's with the "next available" specialist. I had my payroll on auto bi-weekly process to avoid issues however that didn't work. Their client billing, however, works fine. Sorry to see such a very evident decline in service from what used to be a reliable service. It's time to start looking at alternatives.

Paychex response

Original review: May 2, 2022

We have been customers for years and used to be very happy but we are extremely unsatisfied. They keep making mistakes and refuse to fix them. We have asked for a different specialist but they won't change us and our current specialist literally yelled at us on the phone trying to blame us for his incompetence. We are currently looking for a new company. I would not recommend this service to my worst enemy!

Paychex response

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I have been working with Paychex for about 2+ years and every year it gets worst. Their specialist has made so many mistakes and I am the only one paying for it. They reported the wrong information to IRS, which made me have to pay IRS over $700 and I am still waiting for reimbursement. They made errors in payroll and have charged me multiple times for their correct. I spend hours calling their representatives and they is NEVER any resolution. They just double down on repeating more mistakes costing me more money!! I need leadership to finally respond to all of my emails! End of Year Tax season was a nightmare, I had to pay my private account to get my staff's information processed. PAYCHEX was NO Help at all, just a waste of time.

Paychex response

Hello Joyce. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 12, 2022

UPDATED 04/12/2022: I wrote a 1 star review where they took $800 from our account in error. Despite proving this to them they still have not fixed this or even talked to me about this. When I did the review I had someone from Paychex call me and give me an invalid number for a manager. I still have not gotten this fixed and still have not talked to a manager.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I have been with Paychex for over a year. When I first signed up they quoted one of my insurance rates incorrectly and of course it was higher and lied about doing certified payroll. They never told me it would cost money and I still have not gotten any help on how to set it up. But recently they charged me an extra $800.00 and I cannot figure out why. They told me it was because of one reason which I have proved was incorrect and then I never hear from them again. This has been over two months ago and I still have not heard back why. Also, I asked to speak with a manager three months ago because they took 401K out out of half the people on one payroll and not the other half. I still have not heard back.

Paychex response

Hello Kristy. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I have been using Paychex for several years with no problems... UNTIL recently. When trying to reach my specialist I am no longer put directly through but am put on hold for times exceeding a half hour - 45 minutes and it's with the "next available" specialist. I submit my payroll early in the day and after 5 hours it still has not been processed, I don't even know if it's been received and looked at as I no longer receive confirmation of receipt. If there is any problem with the payroll, there is no time for corrections (if needed) as waiting on hold in line for "next available specialist" times out their "fix it" time. Fixing problems after that time means having to undo and redo... which they charge additional fees for. We are seriously searching for a replacement company to process our payroll.

Paychex response

Hi Deborah. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 15, 2022

My company has been a client for a 6 months, and during this time, the company has had missed filings, double filings, and late filings. I have incurred double charges, been penalized by the IRS, and have had to pay penalties. I have been assigned to 4 different people since I signed up. The latest one who handles my account has 700 clients. She sounds overwhelmed. Their turnover is high- and it appears employee moral may be very low.

I filed an IRS communication letter with them, and the response time is over 2 weeks. Electronic. No person to person handling. During that time, I have had to double pay, since Paychex took the filing money out of my account, but the IRS shows it as 'failure to file'. I will be looking for a different payroll company very shortly. Very glad I didn't sign up for all their other services: retirement plans, insurance, and so on. They try very hard at the sales end. Big team on that front and lots of support. Not so much once you sign up.

Paychex response

Hi Elisabeth. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

They charged me $75 to send me a check for $182.55. I had just started working for a new company and separated my employment. The full amount was $303. They took just under 25% of my money. Even the IRS only took $45. This is a ripoff. I will never use their 401k service with any future employers. Period.

Paychex response

Hello Galen. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID/Plan ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

They forget to call you when payroll is due to get hours. They do not answer when you call, you will be on hold for 55 minutes then it rings as if they will answer and instead the line gets disconnected. You will leave messages for a supervisor to call and no one will call you back. Yet they will continue to charge your credit card that, is on file, even when there has been no payroll processed. Paychex is a total scam now. We have been with the company since 2010 and they were a good company until 2020 when they started spiraling down.

In 2021 the service became horrible and this January 2022 we have tried 5 times to get a hold of someone to process our payroll and address our concern and no one will call us back. The only person we are able to reach is the operator/receptions who knows nothing about payroll. Stay away from this company. They will take your credit card and steal your money. At this point we will have to cancel our credit card to keep them for continuing to charge fees for doing nothing.

Paychex response

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

If you are a small or medium sized non profit Paychex may not be for you. We have had a payroll problem for almost 30 days and every service representative has passed the buck, or not responded to emails or phone calls. They even registered our out of state employee as in state after we brought it to their attention, then they tried to upsell us a HR support package. We moved to gusto, and as we grow we will go to a larger company, but never Paychex.

Paychex response

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I have been with Paychex for 4 years and everything was great. However, everything went downhill when I received a new payroll rep. I have been requesting certified payroll since December and the function does not work. I have emailed and called my rep numerous times, and she is not available. She would occasionally email me stating she was working on my case, but my issue is not resolved. I have emailed her manager and have not received a response. I have decided that I will be looking for a new payroll company. Stay away from Paychex!

Paychex response

Hello Sophia. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If you are open to it, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so we can have leadership reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Paychex Company Information