3.9/5 (961 ratings)
Find a PEO Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Paychex

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

Pros

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Bottom Line

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

Top Paychex Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this produ...

Verified

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I ...

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
  • Business loans
  • Tax services
  • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
  • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
  • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
What is Paychex Flex?
Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
How much does Paychex cost per month?
Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
Does Paychex do direct deposit?
Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
What bank does Paychex use?
Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

After decades in business management I have never experienced this level of ineptitude. The final product wasn't even close to what was given to us in our sales pitch. Customer service was non existent. I'm speechless that a company as large as this operates in this manner.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

We have been using Oasis/Paychex for Payroll HR and benefit services for a 1 and a half. It is impossible to do anything with this company. The HR person James L. does not do anything right and we have to constantly follow up and asking him to change things for us. Our issues are not resolved and more and more issues are created. We spoke to his supervisor Charles and complained about James then asked together a different rep but that was not done and we are stuck with James who can not get anything right. We called Customer Service and tried to get help but we just get passed on to a different person or they hang up the phone. Than happened a few times and every customer service rep will tell you a different solution and at the end they will say that we need to speak with James. It is a never ending nightmare. DO NOT GO with Paychex. However they do charge you and do take your fees but nothing will ever get resolved.

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

After 2 years of being a customer of Paychex they are not willing to correct tax returns that they filed for us without charging us a fee. They did give us a second option that asks that we pay additional money to them so that they will calculate, amend and file the corrected returns. I pointed out to them that the paychex website states that Paychex will "calculate, file, and pay accurately and effortlessly". I also found two more places on your website that state the same thing and more. In one spot on the website it states: "Optional Services at No Additional Charge-Tax Credit Services Get Help Finding and applying for tax credits for which your business may qualify to maximize your tax savings".

We have been paying for these services for the past 2 years. Paychex has never reached out to us about the ERTC (Tax Credit) and instead filed the returns without calculating the tax credit. This is now something that we have found and contacted Paychex for help in getting the tax credits that we qualify for. Paychex is now refusing to calculate and file our corrected tax returns so that we can get the credits; unless we pay a fee to file or the second option we pay even more money for them to do the same service your website says are included at "No Additional Charge". Paychex has been calculating and filing our payroll tax returns for the past 2 years. We only asked that they correct the returns that they filed so that we can get the tax credits we paid them to find for us. (Granted Paychex did not help us find these.)

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I have been a client of Paychex for many years. We started out with 4 employees and over the years had to let them go until it was just myself left. When we started, we were directed to pick a package that covered all the employees with several options such as Worker's Comp, Data Export, Garnish Services, and others. After the last employee was let go, there was no need for such a package and my company ended paying for package that no longer fit my company's needs. I mentioned the charges to my accountant who had referred me to this company and she stated that should not be paying so much for a single payee.

I recently looked into the excess charges and found that I had paid out over $10,000 in fees that were not applicable to my company. When I called the Customer Service rep, Dayle, she stated that she didn't know why my payroll specialist never mentioned this to me and placed me on a different package. Dayle stated that I could be on a package that was $26/week, instead of the $110/week I was paying. A 2nd call with a another representative from the company elicited the same confused response by the rep, as she also wondered why the payroll specialist never mentioned this to me. Paychex recorded the call, as did I for anyone who needs proof.

A 3rd call with another only wanted to get me to accept a less expensive package, but this one was $46/week. What happened to the $26/week that Dayle mentioned? The 3rd rep mentioned that they could look at going back 3 months to see what they might do about a refund, but I'm looking at what they would do about the last 3 1/2 years of overpayment for services I did not need and never used. I also want to mention that a Paychex sales rep came to my office couple of years ago to make sure that I was receiving the best services for my company. He was only there to upsell me on more services, as he did not understand why the company had sent him out to meet with me when I was the only employee. Obviously, he wasn't there to make sure I was receiving the services appraise for my company.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

After years with Paychex, we cancelled to go with another PEO. The only good service we were provided was through our designated payroll person. Everything else -- 401k, HR questions, FSA, workers comp, customer service requests -- I would rate a 0.25. Emails were not responded to. Multi-state workers comp details never set up correctly, no follow up, though their rates were quite high.

Changing to another PEO is always challenging but I can say that Paychex went out of their way to make the change-over as difficult as they could. They sent incorrect, out-of-date reports to the new PEO. They turned off our logins before the set date and records were just lost. Emailing for help the response I received was, "I had forwarded the information on your behalf. That’s all I’m able to do. No one has reached out to you yet? Thank you." If you're thinking of a PEO, there are many providers out there with better user experience. Their dashboard is a taped-together jumbled mess. Not a good experience. Paychex has been around a long time so perhaps customer service is not high on their list.

Paychex response

Hello Elle. Thank you for your years with Paychex. We are sorry to hear about the poor customer service experience you have had with Paychex concerning 401k, HR, FSA, Workers Comp, and transitioning to a new PEO provider. If you would like, please email reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID, your name, and the best way to contact you so that we can discuss your experience. Thank you.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I had a 401k plan with them from a previous employer. I was told I could leave the funds there until I was ready to roll them over. At some point my previous employer closed the account they had with Paychex. I was NEVER notified and all of my funds were taken for Misc. fees. I was getting ready to enroll into a new 401k with paychex under a different employer ID and wanted to roll the previous funds over. I contacted Paychex and they stated it was my previous employer's fault for not contacting me.

Why did Paychex never contact me?? Why did I get statements up until the date they started taking my funds?? They never once sent me any statements showing any fees that were being charged to my account. How can they charge me fees but never send me any updated statements?!?! I tried resolving this with them several times but all they want to do is blame the employer. I showed them post on their website, their policy paperwork, and from ERISA showing they should have contacted me and they still refuse to do anything. This is unethical!

Original review: July 14, 2022

I was recently laid off from an organization that had been utilizing Paychex for their 401k plan. After considering options, I decided to take a disbursement to cover some recent medical bills that have piled up on my end and was literally sent a message stating that the funds would be distributed to my bank via ACH within 7 business days and in turn made payment arrangements and auto-drafts based off of this information (even allowing an extra 3 calendar days for some wiggle room).

Upon signing into to check the status on the eve of the 7th day, I received a status that "estimates" I will have my funds NEXT WEEK which is a full week past the original quoted date and is going to have the arrangements made blowing up in my face and costing me hundred of dollars of fees. Tried reaching via chat and was told that 7 days was an "estimate" (the word "estimate" NEVER appeared on the confirmation) and had 3 different reps give me the runaround and trying to "lingo" me into their way of thinking.

I have worked in finance and compliance for over 20yrs and after informing them that an estimate needs to be disclosed as such, kept getting told there was nothing they could/would do. I repeatedly (like literally over a dozen times) asked to have a supervisor reach out to me and was denied and then conveniently would have the chat session "terminate for inactivity". Only silver lining to the absolute waste of several hours today is the transcript from the chat session will be very useful when I file complaints with the appropriate regulatory agencies and pursue civil damages against this joke of a company.

Original review: July 6, 2022

My former company rolled our 401K program over to Paychex Flex in June. The black out period was over three weeks, apparently because they claimed they had to map old funds from old plan to theirs, however this should have been done in advance of the cutover and should be done programmatically. Then, sadly our company shut down a week later. Now, they are charging me $75 to roll over my 401K to my IRA (!!). The fees for their own IRA are much higher than my financial institution. So I feel like I am being gouged for the hot minute they held my account.

Original review: June 30, 2022

My account representative never followed through on my unemployment tax. They continued to deduct my tax, yet never paid it. They also state that it was no error of theirs. I am a new business owner and was looking for a payroll company that would guide me through all the processes. Unfortunately, Paychex is not that company. We have been open over a year now, Paychex has collected these taxes, but has yet to pay any of it. The sad part is that Payroll companies are not regulated, so we have no regulatory agency to complain to. I can't wait for my accountant to take over my payroll!! Paychex is not reputable.

Original review: June 28, 2022

They will sell you the sky before you sign up. Both for payroll processing and for 401K services. They lie thru their teeth to get you to sign up and then once you're in the door their support goes bye bye....| Reaching someone to help you is not next to impossible, it is absolutely impossible. I detest this company and am looking to go back to sure payroll, or ANY other company than Paychex.... Do NOT give this company your business. You will be sorry.

Paychex Company Information