Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

BOTTOM LINE

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

PROS

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

CONS

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Top Paychex Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this product and service in the future and now you won't be disappointed.

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I like that… The options they got for training is great. ... The price is the best feature to start.

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
    • Business loans
    • Tax services
    • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
    • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
    • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
    Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
    What is Paychex Flex?
    Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
    How much does Paychex cost per month?
    Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
    Does Paychex do direct deposit?
    Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
    What bank does Paychex use?
    Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Hello, Our company has been a long term client of Paychex and started using their 401(K) services several years ago. Unfortunately, I would not recommend to anyone to use their 401(K) services. Complete ineptness. We were set up for automatic contributions. The company stopped withholding automatic contributions from our account several months ago, completely at random, without any notice. Meanwhile, they continued to charge us their monthly fee without fail. Moreover, when the problem was discovered by us, after over 2 hours waiting on the phone, being bounced back between 3 different people, the last one of whom placed me on hold and never returned (!), we still weren't able to receive any answers, explanation or a proposal on how this will be fixed.

I was able to finally communicate with another customer service representative over chat but no matter how much I asked to be connected directly to a supervisor, a manager or someone with more than a perfunctionary knowledge of their system, who would be able to look into this case and provide some answers, the answer was that no one is available to speak. At 5:15 pm, in a company that has working hours until 8pm, apparently every single supervisor and manager has signed off for the day already. I operate my own small business and we are always available to take clients' calls until at least 6:30 pm. But for a large business like Paychex, working hours seem to be very conveniently set to end at 5pm, it seems.

I asked to provide me with a direct phone number so I can reach someone tomorrow without wasting 2 hours on hold again, and the answer was "NO". For a company that markets itself to small businesses, this type of ineptness multiplied by a terrible (non-existent) customer service is unacceptable. I see other clients being unhappy with their service. I wished I checked reviews before signing up for their 401(K) service.

Paychex response

Hello Anna, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Getting this detail will allow us to further review and investigate. Please be sure to put ‘Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I left PayChex years ago due to ongoing problems. I went to Advantage who was shortly thereafter acquired by PayChex. I am paid on a monthly basis on the 15th of each month. I have a single employee who is paid every 2 weeks. In the past year I had to contact them after I was not paid one month. I was told my specialist was "out of the office" so someone else would handle it. I was also paid twice within a week. After bringing it to their attention, via another contact because my specialist was out again, they reimbursed my account but kept the fees they charged me.

I sent my specialist an email early December asking that my Auto Fringe benefit be paid in my next check. I was told, by another stand in for my specialist that the notes were made to do so. Then, in Dec I was again paid twice in one month. As I was preparing my year end tax information for my accountant it came to my attention that after being advised that my Auto Fringe would be paid ... it in fact had not been. I asked my specialist to please include her manager on emails following my first double payment so that he could see what was going on. She didn't do so. The second double payment, failure to pay the Auto Fringe & failure to pay my employee their final check for the 2020 year all occurred after my request was not fulfilled. PayChex, you guys never fail in disappointing me.

Paychex response

Hi J, thank you for flagging this to our attention so we can further investigate. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

My small one person S corp used Paychex for years. They had me submitting unemployment (I was told I had to). Eventually I found out not only did I not have to, but they had submitted me incorrectly. Had they submitted me correctly (stating I was the owner of the business), the Unemployment Office would have rejected the payments. So they messed up. It happens. What happened then was they said it was my fault for not catching what was being sent to the unemployment office. I had all the proof that they knew I was the owner and that they had said I needed to pay unemployment, but they did nothing. NOTHING. They blamed it on me. The helpful person in the unemployment office said she had seen it many times. Paychex sends a feed that gets rejected, so instead of investigating why, they changed the owner field to no and then it goes through.

Paychex response

Hello Peter, we would like to further look into this concern for you. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Our small IT staffing company has been using Paychex for years. Generally, they are solid. However don't use their 401k offering. It is antiquated. I've been trying to get help for over a year to no avail. If you want to extract your personal 401k account data into something like Quicken, you can't. If you want to use an aggregator service like Quicken or Personal Capital, you can't. As someone nearing retirement I need to be able to look across my (Paychex) 401k as well as my IRA etc. For example am I 60/40 across everything? With their 1990's technology it is impossible to do so. I've spoken several times to someone who is supposed to help me. She is very nice but has provided zero assistance. Using Paychex is fine, but do not go down the rabbit hole of using their 401k service or you will regret it.

Paychex response

Hi Russell, we would like to further look into this concern for you. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Something has definitely changed with this company!! This is not the company I signed up with! I’ve been with Paychex for a few years, only because I don’t particularly care for change. I’ve had a few issues over the years, but they’ve always been satisfied through good managers fairly resolving the issues. However this last occurrence has caused me to go with another payroll company!! They processed an entire payroll period in advance using hours from the previous work week; they paid employees that were not reported to have hours (just giving money away!). They caused my company to lose money and confidence in their service.

When I called to speak to a manager, I had to leave 3 messages. He never called back! When I demanded to speak to “his” supervisor, he immediately became available... But his attitude was extremely poor, as if he was doing me a favor by talking to me; or that I was interrupting his work day. He never offered a professional courtesy, so I asked... His offer was insulting considering the anxiety and financial stress this caused. I haven’t responded to his email because my response will be to take my business elsewhere.

Paychex response

Hi Monet, we would like the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

It is nearly impossible to get hold of a person on the phone, at least I haven't been able to. I will keep trying. The Cares Act where you don't have to pay the 10% fee to withdraw money from from your 401K savings because of the pandemic is made as difficult a process as possible where I ended up giving up and letting them keep the fee. I tried 3 different phone numbers including the "Personal financial advisor" and could not get a hold of a person. Either the phone didn't ring or the machine ended up saying to do it online and hanging up. I ended up leaving over $5,000 just to be able to get the $10,000. Imagine leaving nearly more than a third of your savings because they make it impossible on purpose. Please look at other reviews before you make the same mistake thousands have made.

Paychex response

Hello Abdullah, we would like the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are a small business under 7 employees. After we signed up with the Paychex, we realized that they were charging a lot more in payroll processing than what was promised to us. We canceled their services late November 2019 and asked for entire year data to be exported to us so we can upload to ADP. To our dismay, even after canceling their service, they went ahead and issued w-2s in January 2020 for the calendar year Jan 2019-November 2019 the time we were enrolled with them. We called them that we cancelled their services and their w-2's are incorrect whereas ADP filed full years' w-2s. They said we cancelled payroll processing but we did not cancel their tax filing services. How ridiculous response is this as if this company is working like two disjointed organizations.

When pandemic hit in March 2020 and when employees started applying for the benefits they were told by the IRS that they earned twice the amount. We informed paychex that they reverse their w-2s based on the IRS suggestion and set everything right with the IRS. Around September, we received a note from the IRS that we owe them $100k. After researching we found that paychex had filed Q4 2020 and annual payroll return 944 whereas ADP had already filed these returns with accurate numbers. IRS suggested that paychex should reverse their filing as it reflects inaccurate numbers. Despite numerous requests, paychex did not take any action and IRS sent us a notice in November to levy our assets.

Again we sent numerous requests and paychex came back with saying it is not their responsibility to file amended return because it was not their error. We requested them to provide copy of the tax returns they filed (which we paid for and entitled to) so we can file amendment ourselves and to this date they have not responded. Paychex persons do not even bother to respond to our email nor providing phone number to call. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Their website is very poor to navigate and once you cancel services you cannot even get any reports including tax forms that you paid for with their services.

I have no idea where to turn to other than paying IRS to provide me returns filed by the paychex. I would suggest stay away from paychex. There are better payroll services at a better prices out there. Save yourself a runaround when you have better things to do like running your business like myself who is writing this bad experience working past midnight.

Paychex response

Hi Mahesh, we would like the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Please don't use this "company." We beg of you. Paychex input one of our employees' SSN incorrectly. {We have the fax transmission of the original paperwork submitted.} Clearly their mistake. Now they are charging us 2,245 to refile quartiles with the correct SSN. We are a seasoned 22yr old family run Brick & Mortar Small Business in the middle of a Pandemic paying $2,245 for their negligence.

Paychex response

Hi Christine, we would like to further look into this concern for you. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

If you are thinking about signing up for anything to do with Paychex, don't do it! After a terrible startup, took them six months to transfer 401k funds and many other errors including inaccurate math on 401k accounts, funds not being in the proper funds and 12,000 dollars not being anywhere and only discovered that is was missing and at first they said that it had not been deducted but then after I did some research it was in fact deducted and held by them somewhere, who knows where. The most aggravating part of it all is that one department cannot "see" what another department has done or needs to do, can you imagine that 401k can't see what payroll has done as far as deductions!

The salesperson gave us a cost for the PEO and claimed that "our savings on worker's comp alone would pay for the PEO", what a lie. We were being charged over $326 per pay period which means about $7000 per year, I now have a quote in place for $2900 for the year. If you were getting service then the cost might be justified, these people are so stupid and the system so bad they made me crazy. I am not the type who complains and here I am on the web ranting about how bad they are! As many people have said, they do not deserve one star, they truly stick!

Paychex response

Hi William, we would like the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I can’t even begin to describe the problems this company has. Despite paying good money for them to provide payroll services for my small company of 10-12 employees, there has been nothing but issues from the start. Communication is not good. If there is an issue your “representative” tells you to call another department. Unhelpful and unprofessional. I had to email many supervisors and representatives over the course of nearly 3 months to get vacation/sick time for an employee and switch them from an consultant to a W2. They charged me right away for the sick and vacation time (an extra fee) but yet forgot to add this on the employee's profile until I had to spend time calling them and having them backdate it.

Paperwork kept not getting filed and disregarded. Employees not getting paid on time, then when I call and spend hours figuring it out I was told that the employee would be paid that day. Only to find out it never occurred. So I then need to take time out of my day to follow up again. It doesn’t help to elevate your concerns to supervisors as they don’t follow up either. They either don’t care about your business or don’t value small companies. Not sure which one it is but I am researching frantically to find a new payroll company.

Paychex response

Hello Christina, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Getting this detail will allow us to further review and investigate. Please be sure to put ‘Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject. Thank you

Paychex Company Information