Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Discover a recommended PEO service now

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of integrated human capital management solutions for payroll, benefits, human resources, and insurance services.

Paychex Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I have closed my business payroll account and went with a different vendor due to the increase in cost and billing practices for services not provided. I have checked my company bank account and months after we closed the account with Paychex they still withdraw money. $545.86 when we do not do any business any more, seems like they are activating closed accounts and pulling in money after they know that the account is closed. Jacksonville FL branch. Not good for old customers and not good for new customers.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Paychex has my 401k from my old job. Their 1 star rating is accurate. I requested a distribution on 12-27-19 so I could take care of an unexpected expense on 1-23-20. I was advised on 3 separate times my funds would be available on Jan8th, then Jan 15th, now Jan 21. No deposit made and they can’t explain why the funds haven’t been transferred to my bank. They don’t deserve your business because they won’t keep their end of the contract. Look elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Paychex is engaging in fraud. Too much info to type here but they are blatantly reactivating closed accounts. Reactivation yields a withdrawal from bank account on file. My last contact with them was October 2018 - I closed my account and told them to REMOVE MY INFORMATION FROM THEIR SYSTEM. They said it was closed and removed. Almost 2 years later (January 2020) I receive a letter saying they will withdraw nearly $400 from my bank account for "services".

Ridiculous. I called and someone said they would call me back. Unbelievable. No emails no calls 5 days later. They want customers to trust them with their money but they can't figure out how to delete information from their system? On top of that they will just keep making attempt after attempt at withdrawing money that is not theirs, if you cancel. Good luck using a stop payment, they will change the name and keep attempting until it goes through. I reported them to AG. I know 5 other people whom all canceled at the same time and got the same letters. One of them was even told they would take fees out and issue a "refund" of remainder a week later. They are negligent and not an entity that will use your information responsibly. I would never trust them. Scammers. thieves. This will be reposted if removed. THERE IS NO WAY YOU ACCIDENTALLY REACTIVATE CLOSED ACCOUNTS.

Paychex response

Hello M. We are sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We would like to review your concern in more detail. Please email reviews@paychex.com with your client number/company name and your direct contact information. -Thank you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I turned in the opt-out form to my work it apparently never got it to them after year I realized they were taking money for my check every month so I called them and asked them how do I go about correcting the issue and how do I close this account and get my money back? I was told basically I can never not have an account with the company now nor will I receive my money back because it has to be under a qualifying reason from the IRS. Okay that's understandable but I was literally robbed every month and nobody is held accountable now and I can't have my money back from the company even though it wasn't authorized to be taken... They did absolutely zero to help me rectify this situation I do understand it's partially my work that is to blame but I thought after I told them they'd been participating in stealing money from me I really thought they would have stepped up the game to help me fix the situation. Not the case.

Paychex response

Hello Amanda - We are sorry to hear this has been your experience. Can you please email Reviews@paychex.com with your Client Name/ID and the best contact number to reach you? Thank you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I called last week to get info and pricing on Paychex switching from ADP after 3 years with ADP. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I expressed that this week would be payroll week and asked if everything would be set up to seamlessly transfer from ADP to Paychex. I was assured by the account manager YES they could make it happen. Here it is Monday I needed timecards approved by 9am AND come to find out they had nothing set up AND NEVER eve set up the time & Attendance so timecards could be approved.

The rep John never even ordered the time and attendance never quoted it in my price and here I sit payroll morning UNABLE to provide timecards to my management team for approval so I can even run payroll. I left ADP because of customer service and I ended up getting service that was FAR WORSE than ADP!!! What a terrible decision... And one I will change... I now see why they have a terrible reviews rating!!

Paychex response

Hello, we would like the opportunity to further address your concern. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com? We'll need your full name, phone number and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Review Follow-up' in the email subject.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Holy hell. So my (small, nonprofit) company uses Paychex to manage some of our benefits options, and it's where we usually get our pay stubs. I've been trying for almost a month to log in on their circa-2003 website, and it just plain doesn't work anymore -- the authentication seems to be broken, as logging in stops mid-process. Three different up-to-date browsers on Windows that seems to update every week. Okay, fine, I'll tell customer service. And a few days after I fill out their online form, I get a reply email telling me to call. Now, I do web for a living, so I know that my calling isn't going to resolve anything, but maybe their tech team doesn't actually know about this issue. I'll call.

The first automated voice is very excited to tell me that I won a free cruise. Oh great, my company's pay and benefits processor is promoting timeshares! No, I don't want that, so I press 2. The second automated voice is very excited to tell me that, as a customer, I get free roadside assistance and all I have to do enroll. I joined AAA years ago, so no, I don't want that, so I press 2. The call then immediately drops. Paychex is a joke. Under any and all circumstances, stay away, and cut bait if you haven't already.

Paychex response

Hello Jonathan, I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We would like the opportunity to review your concern in more detail. If you would like, you can email Reviews@paychex.com. Please include your full name, name of company/employer as well as best contact information. -Thank you

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

My company used Paychex for payroll services for 2 years. I canceled the service in August 2019, and they continued to charge me. I sent documentation proving the cancellation, my service rep contacted accounting multiple times to credit my company back the amounts, and the manager attempted to get involved. Now it is 5 months later and I still cannot stop receiving charges every month. No credits have been received, and I cannot even get them to stop charging my business account. It is now gotten to the point that I will probably have to close out my business account that I've had for years. I'm beyond disappointed in this company. If you are thinking of using their services, please consider another company. It truly has been the most powerless situation for me and my business. My business has suffered greatly because of my bad decision to choose them.

Paychex response

Hello Michael, We are sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We would like the opportunity to review your concern in more detail. If you would like, please email Reviews@paychex.com. Please include your full name, company/employer information as well as best contact information for you and a representative will be in touch. -Thank you

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My old company ended up enrolling me in to Paychex 401K without my knowledge. When I left the company I got a letter from paychex in my old company stating I need a disbursement. I called paychex. I only had $63 in my 401k. I planned on transferring my 401k to my new employer but she said I was unable to do that because of the $75 fee so ultimately I have to cancel out my account. I'm pretty much donate my money to paychex so instead of me continuing to use my 401K with paychex I'm going to cancel my account and take it as a loss. I will never do business with paychex ever again. 0 Stars.

Hello Edward,
          We'd like the opportunity to further review your concern. Can you please emails us at Reviews@paychex.com with additional information? We'll need your full name, business/employer name, and your contact information such as your phone number and email address. Providing this detail will allow us to further investigate your concern.

Thank you for sharing your experience and allowing us the opportunity to address your concerns.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I have no idea how this company is still in business. Just Google their name before you sign up with this company. We have had terrible experience with their customer service, reps are very rude most of the times. They are absent multiple times a month and no one there to answer as their managers are also on leave the same time. So many errors and no real help to resolve these errors. Pulling random charges out of your bank account that are not authorized. Processing 1099, W2 with incorrect information, corrections are again with errors...I urge you to stay away from this company.

Paychex response

Hi Dhaval, we would like the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Follow-up' in the email subject.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I would also nominate them for no stars if that were an option. Nothing but a comedy of errors. We been with them for 2 years now, and it's been a disaster. They have cost us penalties and interest with several taking agencies, and hundreds of hours trying to resolve issues. They have been making mistakes since day one, and continue to make repeated mistakes frequently, take forever to cure issues, and really just don't seem to give a crap.

Paychex response

Hi Kevin - I am sorry to hear this has been your experience. We would like the opportunity to review your concerns in detail with you. If you are open to it, can you please email Reviews@paychex.com with your Client Name/ID and the best way to contact you? Thank you, Ann.

Not sure about Paychex?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right PEO Services for you.

Paychex expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paychex, Inc. was founded in 1971 as a payroll outsourcing company. Today they serve over 600,000 clients in more than 100 locations across the United States. Paychex provides payroll and human resources products and services for small, midsize and large businesses.

• Grows with your business: Paychex has separate options for small, midsize and large businesses, so small businesses can grow with Paychex to have the right solutions for their needs from the same company.

• Cloud accounting software: Small businesses will appreciate Kashoo software, a cloud based software specifically designed as a simple online accounting solution. Take care of all your accounting needs with this cloud software that also works on mobile devices.

• Tax services: Paychex’s tax service solution Taxpay helps small businesses with payroll and sales taxes. Taxpay works with Paychex Payroll to manage your business’s tax payments and all IRS electronic filing and reporting requirements.

• Benefits mobile app: Download Paychex Flex from your android or iPhone app store to stay connected, view paystubs, view retirement balances and enrollment information and more. Employees and business owners will benefit from the convenient features of Paychex Flex.

• Paychex Time mobile app: Paychex Time is another mobile app available for Paychex customers. It allows employees to punch in and out right from their mobile device. The app doesn’t contain payroll data, so employees can stay logged in without risking the exposure of their private and secure information.

• Best for: Paychex is best for small and midsize businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team