1.85/5
Based on 34 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover a recommended PEO service now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

34 Paychex Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

They consistently screw up my payroll. I usually call it in so that the so-called experts can process it without incident. However, that is usually not the case. They cost more than ADP (who is the company I left for Paychex). Most recently they processed my payroll twice from the wrong amounts. As a result it caused several overdrafts to hit my account and now it's been almost a week and they still haven't worked it out. I will be switching back to ADP as soon as this mess is fixed. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Couldn't be more unhappy with this business. Strike One: Mistakes. Large errors in my payroll. One of my employees had to have three checks written to him before it was addressed and paid the proper amount. Strike Two: Sloppy paperwork. Paychex wasn't able to send me updated paperwork to confirm that I wasn't overcharged on payroll taxes due to these additional checks written. Several phone calls and emails never cleared up the matter. Strike Three: Bald-faced Lies. I was quoted a price for the service, and then charged more than DOUBLE the quoted price. Both for payroll services and preparation of W2s.

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Veronica ** sales agent in Rochester, NY. Called her for help getting general liability insurance for my company, she messed up the terms on the contract, lied about correcting them, I foolishly followed her "expert" advice and am now out of my money and still uninsured. Haven't been able to get her or anyone in the office on the phone or by email for 2 days. Finally 3 days later, Tyler a rude and uninformed sales agent picked up my call after a 2 hr hold. He was clearly disgruntled about helping me or giving us any direction on how to reach Veronica. He said, "It's your fault. You should have caught her mistake." Asked if I needed anything else and was gone. I am flabbergasted that a company can just drop the ball so completely without care or concern for their clients. How are y'all still in business?!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Paychex Sales agent quoted me a price for our business and then I was charged a higher amount, I called to complain and I kept getting the runaround and kept giving me different people to talk with. I would be on the phone with them for 4 hrs and this was suppose to be a easy transition, then I moved my 401K and was only going to get charge $200 a month for recording fees and see that I got charged $240.00, this company lies too well. I should say the Sales agents do. Obviously they work on commission. I am going to be looking for another payroll company and move my 401k of all my employees to another company. Don't waste your time and get pricing because there will be hidden fees somewhere. Dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This company is horrible. Usual delivery guy goes on vacation often so from getting paid in timely manner means we won't get paid until next day. Anytime new guy takes over route he screws us all. Not only is it late by hours or a day we also have to then scramble to cash or deposit checks to pay bills and get groceries. Like wtf. How are they still in business?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have never experience a company make so many mistakes, then try to charge us fees for their mistakes! They routinely changed payroll amounts to employees without interacting with us. They would then want to charge correction fees, until I complained to supervisors, and sometimes the supervisor's supervisor. They failed to transfer state income taxes for one of our employees, tried to blame us for failing to file the proper paperwork, ignored our documentation of filing correctly, tried to assess a $400 correction fee, encouraged us to lie about the employee's move date and still have yet to resolve the issue after 8 months.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My company has Paychex retirement services. I fell into hard times and had to take a distribution. I gave ample time and took all the necessary steps and was assured funds would be released to me on August 9th to avoid disruption to my credit and landlord. That was verified both via website and rep several times. Today (the 9th), their website changed my payment date. I had to call several representatives before one would even put me on with a "manager" who wouldn't even tell me WHY the date had changed - just that giving me more information wouldn't change the fact that I wouldn't be paid by the promised date. I never thought I'd fall on such financial difficulty that I'd need to draw from my 401k. I have never seen a company be so incompetent, then be so unapologetic and rude about their own mistake. Am I overreacting, or is this a theme of Paychex and a reason they have a 2/5 Star rating on Consumer Affairs?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Paychex didn't file 941 for two quarters and I didn't find out about it until a year later when I was notified by the IRS. I had already discontinued service with Paychex because they don't have good customer service and now I can't get access to the information I need to file the forms and I can't get Paychex to fulfill their obligation to file the forms that I already paid them to file.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I just got off the line with a helpful customer service tech and thought I should share a review of my own. When I hire a new employee, it takes a while for me to learn their strengths and weaknesses. I am willing to look past or put up with some weaknesses as long as their strengths fit our needs. So it goes with software. There are things that I hate about the software. But, despite that, it works for me. The learning curve for me is likely longer than it is for others. The software requires that I do things twice in different places which confuses me. But I can pick up the phone and call someone and get an answer to my confusion at just about any time. They don't ridicule me for my lack of understanding. They help me to understand the software.

The key for me is that I've often thought the problem was from the company only to find that it is because I don't understand or misunderstand the software. The support team has helped to keep me from making large mistakes because of that. I understand that other users might blame the company for the poor software. I refuse to do that. I need to learn the software with its strengths and flaws and it works for me. I appreciate that it is available to me.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I opened up a solo 401K for my business with Paychex. Now not only are they charging me a monthly fee they want to charge me $1500 to transfer my account to Vanguard (who by the way will do this same transaction for $75). This is completely outrageous! They give me the run around every time I call and are impossible to deal with. I would never use them again!!! They overcharge you for everything and then provide terrible service.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Paychex is a joke company! It took them 5 or 6 different pay stubs to finally get me paid on time. My account specialist called once, and never called again! They never returned a call, or an email since our first initial meeting which I have been with Paychex for almost a year now. Their account specialist are extremely rude. Most of the time have no idea what they are talking about. When speaking with her she said "she had no idea who I was." What is the point of having a direct contact if they don't even know their clients. They say they are there to "help" but they are not. They are don't bother. My recommendation is to never do business with this company, I would have gone zero stars but it doesn't let me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Paychex double paid an employee, didn’t file my start quarterlies. Files incomplete reports after I had cancelled. Has not refunded my money for the penalty or the invoicing they did after cancellation. Like 6 months or more after cancellation, still receiving quarterly reports with zero balances because there’s nothing to report. They are a ridiculous excuse for an accounting company. So many mistakes. More work than doing it myself.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I dealt with Paychex for over 20 years flawlessly on both our parts and they never skipped a beat. I formed a new company awhile ago. I provided them all the info to do withholding for 2 states. When one state contacted me and said they have never received and reports. I spoke to my rep and was assured this wasn't the case. After 2 weeks of back and forth it turn out it was the case but it was my problem and the supervisor claimed that the conversation I had with my payroll rep never happened. I sucked it up and confirmed that all was good with my South Carolina account and was assured, "Yes, all was in order" only to find out 1 year later that the same issue was happening in South Carolina and the employment commission went into my account and took 3k...

Again was assured by my rep that it was an administrator mistake and it would be handled. 3 weeks later a different arrogant manager that I left 6 messages for over 10 days finally took my call (never called me). Told me nothing they can do and if I'm that dissatisfied maybe it's time to switch companies. This is insane!! She couldn't tell me a reason for anything other than not their issue and spoke as if I had just woken her up from a deep sleep. No energy and completely disinterested in the problem other than to tell me again that my payroll rep wouldn't say that...

I suggested that she pull the recordings as every call says it will be recorded as I could provide date and approximate time of call, her response "We don't record calls. We just put that on the recording." They used to be a class A company for payroll. No issues, didn't even have to think about anything other than submitting payroll weekly and they took care of the rest. What a shame how horrible they have become. And for the record this is only my 2nd review on a company in my life if that tells you anything about how bad it is.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Paychex 401 retirement services - I have been trying to close my account for the past 6 months and they have been making it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to do so. I file the paperwork. And I still get bills in the mail. It's a big joke at this point. They just won't let me out.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We used Paychex on-line payroll accounting for several years. The software was unreliable and crashed often. It did get better with time but there were still problems when we decided to migrate elsewhere. Our rep. made a mistake on our reporting that cost us substantial penalties. The rep refused to own up to it and resigned soon after. We put our account on hold in mid-summer while we moved our location. After a few months Paychex started to charge us a user fee even though we had no payroll. At the end of the year we had to pay the user fee in order to access our account for reporting. My experience corresponds with others as they continued to try to raid our bank account even though we were not using the service. I would not recommend this company to anyone. We are very happy with our new service.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am a small business with just two employees, each in a different state. Paychex repeatedly did not pay employer taxes on time, the error being discovered when I had to sign for registered letters from one state alerting me of the delinquency. To get it correct took weeks, and countless hours of my time following up their various departments and managers. Granted, they did give me several weeks of "free" payroll, but my time and business reputation are worth more than their compensation.

As I write, it's been over a year since I moved my payroll services and I'm STILL dealing with Paychex mistakes. In this case, it's an employee disability policy that they can't seem to properly cancel. I'm an insurance broker myself. I promise you, it's not difficult to cancel a policy. Run, don't walk in the other direction. THERE ARE TOO MANY PAYROLL PROVIDERS OUT THERE TO RISK YOUR BUSINESS REPUTATION AND ACCOUNTING WITH PAYCHEX!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been using Paychex as my payroll company for two years now. During that time the customer service was terrible. They have very high turnover of employees and every couple of months I was having to retrain my new specialist who would run my payroll incorrectly. Finally I decided I had enough and was going to hire someone new at the beginning of the year but when I googled quitting Paychex I found lots of people saying when they tried to quit they suddenly came up with "additional charges" and just took the money from their bank account.

So before I said I wanted to cancel I called my bank and asked them to block any further auto withdrawals. It's a good thing I did because after asking five times to close my account and to be sent a final bill, and after paying that final bill, they suddenly sent me a "new final invoice" with $418 owed for miscellaneous fees I had never heard of nor paid before during my two year history with them. Whatever you do never, ever use this company for any services because they will try and scam you out of additional funds if you try to leave. If anyone else out there is interested in joining me and finding a lawyer to sue them I would love to hear from you.

Original review: March 6, 2018

NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN! Imagine dealing with a huge bureaucracy that doesn't care at all about your needs then imagine Paychex. This over bloated, poorly run Payroll Company was enough for me to never want to have payroll again! The constant need to contact a representative, unclear information, clumsy website and mindless roadblocks in trying to achieve ANYTHING. Just trying to call them is a headache! All calls are routed to your representative and if they're doing a crappy job (mine was) then good luck finding their boss. And when you do, they'll continue the tradition of making then breaking the promises! Absolutely horrific experience! If you're looking to hire a payroll company RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. Two weeks in a row no one called me for payroll at the agreed upon time. I had 1 rep for 2.5 years. She was terrific. Once she left the service went downhill fast. When I needed something, even an answer to a quick question, no one would respond to emails or voicemails left. I was told that they were too busy. Too busy to help a customer? Today I was told that I wasn't a priority, payroll was. Okay so a call for 3 straight days you are too busy to answer and payroll not being met yet again? I quit. I had to find a company that would give a hoot about our company and our employees. It is unacceptable to say they are too busy. My employee did not get his check. Explain that to him. Too busy is an excuse not a reason. Stay until your work is done then. Just horrible service. Their sales reps are good but after they get you to sign you are in a for a hurtin'.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Horrible, I cannot believe this company is in business and are allowed to do business, they are frauds. They are incompetent thieves. They will make promises of ease of use, discounts & free service and still bill you for them. They cannot process payroll correctly. If you are lucky to get a hold of a person they are ignorant and don't know anything. They will mess up your life/business and waste your time & money. I only used them for 1 month before canceling my service, I have been waiting for 3 months for them to credit back my account on charges they continue to auto draft. Here's the kicker, I am still getting charges from them. Time to contact my bank to stop payments, There goes more money and time out the window. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This company's pay system is HORRIBLE! I do not recommend any company to use their services for employees. As of this morning, I had to log into my acct... Username, password, answer 4 security questions, receive 4 verification codes, jump through 8 circus hoops, put clown makeup on, etc...And still NOT able to get into my acct. for my password. I was on the phone with ignorant folks that did not even know what was going on or how to help me. I got into my account after 45 minutes to NOT have my paystubs loaded!!! So, wasted 45 minutes of my time NOT to have the info. Are you kidding me!? I've had it with this CRAPPY ** company!!! Every two weeks the exact, same issues. I should be able to enter my username/password and IMMEDIATELY get into my acct -- NOT! Use ADP!!! Use ADP!!! This company is the worst!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I've had endless problems with Paychex. They have 1. taken money out of my account unauthorized, which cost me several overdraft fees with my bank. 2. They have been neglectful in filing my quarterly and some annual returns, causing me being fined by the government for late penalties. 3. They have written out checks for the wrong amount to my instructors. I really honestly don't think that their service could be any worse. I don't know if it is because my business is so small (10 employees), so they don't make me a priority??? But because I am such a small business, I have less wiggle room for mistakes. Effective after my next payroll, I will be canceling my Paychex account. I would recommend for small businesses to NOT use their services.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

PAYCHEX has written and verbal strict instructions "HAVE NO CONTACT." Still they continue to violate the law. I am a payroll customer for years, but they DO NOT control their sales or should I say up-sales team. Continued relentless phone tactics last by Frantz **, who btw refused to let it go. Getting very disgusted with PAYCHEX's behavior. STOP HARASSING YOUR CUSTOMER, FOLLOW THE DO NOT CALL ORDER.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

They are so incompetent taxing me on a nontaxable reimbursement I finally caught since January. Here it is October 10 days ago they were to go back and correct all of my paychecks and refund the differences. Have they done anything? In 10 days which they said would only take a few days they have done 4 days. Incompetence is no excuse. I will be seeing an accountant and attorney. They will regret ignoring me. Don't use this company. They have zero clue.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Awful experience. The payroll and time programs don't communicate and don't know what is happening on each other's end so you're ultimately using two companies it feels like. Lots of technical issues on the time side. Hidden charges. The worst ever customer service experience as a business owner I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Our CEO signed up our small company with Paychex Retirement Services, presumably to help with the administrative burden. Instead, they just ripped us off. The returns were half of what my other accounts were getting, with large administrative fees. The customer service is simply horrible -- they give contradictory advice and run you around their phone lines. Apparently, they won't fill out any paperwork. They charge you for distributions. Using this company was a mistake, and at our last corporate meeting, we all recommended dropping this company. It's better to go straight to Fidelity or another fund, and skip these useless middlemen.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I had withdrawal Paychex services from Feb 2017 with numerous calls and emails on their service terminated. Paychex continue to withdraw funds from my checking account. I tried to stop the deduction, my bank said cannot stop the deduction. The only thing is to reach out and settle it with Paychex. Today 4/28 received the email from Paychex that stated quote, "Termination paperwork has a last check date of 1/1/2017. We are unable to backdate a termination, please complete the paperwork with a future date and return to us for processing." For real this is not my problem, I had forward email and calls Paychex payroll & 401K with my CPA but they just don't care, still continue to withdraw funds after the termination letter was sent.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The variety of service is very wide. An open company to purchase a wide range of stuff. They are nothing short of having more product than you could imagine. I have used them many times over. To begin with they are very helpful.They can outsource tasks like payroll compensation etc with ease and very dependable as an outsourcing company. They train in outsourcing. They bring together resources and people together for a dedicated dependable way of hiring in difficult situations. I believe they can bring together a company in need. Outsourced work has been a lifesaver in the company I am employed by. So much needed training and learning to the employees. Made it easier to deal with other tasks and not worry.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

They are flexible. Very reliable. Quick and easy. We receive paychecks very quickly with no errors. They are very organized with the data we send them and very proficient in what they do. They are very ease with use because once we send them the hours and what not they process everything very quickly with less questions. They are easy to use when we have been using them for so long. We have had no issues and will keep using them as long as they keep doing what they are doing. I say their value is 100%. They are inexpensive with great ethics and reliability. We don't get over charged and sometimes if there is an error they will fix it immediately without extra charges.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Offered me the ability to handle my payroll needs with my small business. Was able to provide employee access via the Internet. Big win! Super easy to use their product and offering. Set up and drop employee information into their system and you are good to go. The staff made it easy for me to provide services to my human resource team as well as my employees. Offers great and easy to use online help as well. The product could be a little bit less expensive but overall I am happy with the cost for the services that it provides. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for!

Paychex expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paychex, Inc. was founded in 1971 as a payroll outsourcing company. Today they serve over 600,000 clients in more than 100 locations across the United States. Paychex provides payroll and human resources products and services for small, midsize and large businesses.

• Grows with your business: Paychex has separate options for small, midsize and large businesses, so small businesses can grow with Paychex to have the right solutions for their needs from the same company.

• Cloud accounting software: Small businesses will appreciate Kashoo software, a cloud based software specifically designed as a simple online accounting solution. Take care of all your accounting needs with this cloud software that also works on mobile devices.

• Tax services: Paychex’s tax service solution Taxpay helps small businesses with payroll and sales taxes. Taxpay works with Paychex Payroll to manage your business’s tax payments and all IRS electronic filing and reporting requirements.

• Benefits mobile app: Download Paychex Flex from your android or iPhone app store to stay connected, view paystubs, view retirement balances and enrollment information and more. Employees and business owners will benefit from the convenient features of Paychex Flex.

• Paychex Time mobile app: Paychex Time is another mobile app available for Paychex customers. It allows employees to punch in and out right from their mobile device. The app doesn’t contain payroll data, so employees can stay logged in without risking the exposure of their private and secure information.

• Best for: Paychex is best for small and midsize businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs