Find a PEO Services partner

2. Business Services
  3. PEO Services

3.5/5 (179 ratings)
Find a PEO Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Paychex

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

Pros

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Bottom Line

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

Top Paychex Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this produ...

Verified

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I ...

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
  • Business loans
  • Tax services
  • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
  • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
  • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
What is Paychex Flex?
Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
How much does Paychex cost per month?
Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
Does Paychex do direct deposit?
Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
What bank does Paychex use?
Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

This company uses telemarketing junk texts to get new business. We are on the DNC, we have no relationship with them, yet we got this text today "Hey David, I wanted to reach out as the end of the year is coming up quick and a lot of businesses typically evaluate their payroll partners around now. I wanted to see if you have a few minutes coming up to see how Paychex is helping businesses in your area. -Ashton "

Paychex response

Hi, David. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you're open to it, please email us at reviews@paychex.com with the number you received the text from so we can ensure this is addressed. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

They insentiently delay COBRA activation. It's been Ten weeks since I've activated my account and they have been receiving payments from the government. Every time I call they tell me It's active on their system and their COBRA team needs top notify the Actual health/dental insurance, but they never do! Why? Maybe they just waiting for me to go silent or find a job so that they never activate my benefits and pocket the premium!!!

Paychex response

Hi, Sam. Please email us at reviews@paychex.com with your full name, the business name and some details about your concern as well as the best contact information. We would like to have leadership reach out to address the concern. Thank you.

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This has been a nightmare... I was using them for 6 months my small business payroll until I realized I was being billed for services I didn't ask for. It took me hours and weeks of time to straighten out their mistakes. Finally after 4 months of phone calls I got my money back. I couldn't get satisfaction until I filed with the BBB. That got their attention. In addition, I had 2 employees (2 hours a week) who were auto-enrolled in retirement services that they didn't want and that has cost me more. Spent an average of 30 minutes on hold with each of many phone calls. Paychex workers on the back end were nice enough but all they could offer is "sorry". This service may work in a company with a full time person to deal with them but this has been the worst company experience I have ever had. Sorry, Paychex, I have no other recourse to my horrible experience but write this review.

Paychex response

Hi, Douglas. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Paychex. If there is anything that you still have questions on, or need information on, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at reviews@paychex.com. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Paychex's awful customer service is one of the reasons we decided to leave them for ADP. Our ADP rep recently brought to our attention that our Form 5500's were never filed properly for the two years we were with Paychex. As any small business owner would know, this mistake carries hefty fees and fines along with it. I called to have copies of the forms sent over to me so ADP could accurately handle them only to be told they couldn't submit them to me even though my information is involved with the closed account and my business partner (who was dealing with serious family health issues) would have to call.

After the back and forth and being told she would only need to call in for a quick moment to have the forms sent over and that they could be sent to me (even though I couldn't just have them directly???), they had her on and off hold multiple times and felt the need to harass her with every bit of personal identifier information including information that is in no way relevant to the requests being made since the customer account number, business information and her basic information apparently wasn't enough to convince them who she was.

I originally asked the rep I was speaking to speak to a supervisor to explain the situation to avoid this to begin with, only to be put on hold for over ten minutes and then be told the same information by the same person and that a supervisor wasn't willing to speak to me. My partner ended up being on the line for 22 minutes for a call which I was specifically told would take less than two. TO LITERALLY EMAIL COPIES OF FORMS. I then waited over an additional hour for the forms to be emailed over. Individuals we dealt with: Abby (no last name provided), David (no last name provided, and Karen ** in addition to whatever supervisors told Abby they wouldn't speak with me. So glad we're not with this company anymore, they genuinely suck.

Paychex response

Hi, Emily. We are sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused. If you're open to it, would you send us an email to reviews@paychex.com with details about your concern, your full name and business name? We would like to have our leadership team look into this. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Not happy. While they keep accurate records you cannot control or delete former employers and there is no one to call for assistance. It appears that there is no one way to get in touch with anyone at this company.

Paychex response

Hi, Randie. We would like to take a look into your account and have leadership reach out to you. If you're open to it, you can send us an email to reviews@paychex.com. We ask that you please provide your full name, business name/ID, best contact information for you and any more details you can provide about your experience. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

A Negative 5 star rating should be added so users could properly rate Paychex. I've never written a review before, but since Paychex is the worst vendor relationship I've experienced in my 24 years of being in business, I figured it was time to start. My negative experiences with Paychex over the last 4 months have been too numerous to document in 200 characters, so I will just list a few of the highlights. I purchased an existing business that was using Paychex for payroll and Paychex was contacted 30 days prior to the purchase and was informed that I was retaining all of the company's employees and wanted to continue with exactly the same settings as the company I was buying.

More than 3 months after buying the company and after countless calls with some being over 4 hours long, they still had not corrected the issues & problems. It started at the very beginning when I told the salesperson I was assigned that I wanted the same pay periods as the prior company and she suggested I change them as they would "help her numbers for the month". I told her no and she went ahead and set up a 3 way call with someone else from Paychex to push the change of the pay periods and again I said no.

When I went to run my first payroll, I learned that they went ahead and set it up the way they wanted even after I directly told them no twice. This began a series of errors where I would call in and after talking to several people and being on hold several hours the issue would be resolved, only to find out afterwards that in fixing the issue, 2 or 3 new issues had been created. Eventually I got fed up and cancelled the account and of course now I'm writing this review while I'm on hold to find out why I'm still being billed for an account that has been cancelled. I wish so much that I had checked these reviews before setting up an account with Paychex because I see countless others that have had similar experiences and frankly, I have strong doubts about the authenticity of any of the positive reviews here. SAVE YOURSELF COUNTLESS HOURS OF AGGRAVATION & WASTED TIME AND USE SOMEONE ELSE.

Paychex response

Hi, Brian. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had. If you are open to it, could you send us an email to reviews@paychex.com so we can review the account? If you decide to email us, please include your full name, the business name/ID and the best contact information so we can have someone reach out. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I have been frustrated over various issues since we began with them this year BUT the "straw that broke the camel's back" was the discovery that they have not been with-holding the correct Federal Tax amounts!!!! When I pushed them about their "guarantee", they insisted they did it correctly but I have proof they are short by $290 on one employee, $692 on another, $892 on another.... THIS IS SCARY!!!! Their response,; they withheld correctly... NOT EVEN CLOSE. In other words, they don't want to accept responsibility!!! RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Paychex response

Hi, Lisa. We would like to look into this further. If you're open to it, you can email us at reviews@paychex.com with your full name, business name and the best way to contact you. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Our payrolls repeatedly contained errors and we were unable to get a response from our payroll specialist. We are a small business and it was clear they did not want our business. Things like payroll errors going unaddressed for days, contacting 15 people before receiving a response, requests made multiple times being completely ignored. Working with Paychex was bad for our business as multiple unaddressed payroll errors and no communication affects employee confidence in management. Would never recommend them or use them again.

Paychex response

Hi, Edward. We are sorry to hear of your experience with Paychex. If you are open to it, you can email us at reviews@paychex.com with your full name, business name and best way to contact you. Thank you.

Original review: July 25, 2021

So I switched over to Paychex thinking it would save me some time but it had ended up being more of a headache and more time consuming than my previous provider. From adding new employees, to creating manual checks, the process takes about 4-5 extra steps due to tall the different tabs, sections and clicks you have to go thru on their website.

To create a manual check on my previous provider, it only took 2 clicks and less than 5 seconds if you already have the data. For paychex, I'm not even sure how to do it, you have to click on payroll, then scroll over to an employee name, click on a drop down menu, make a selection and I'm still not sure how to get printed. To create a new employee, same multi step process involving way too many tabs, clicks and procedures. What should take 2 minutes takes about 10 minutes on Paychex. So not only did this cost more, it takes up more time.

Paychex response

Good Morning. We would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns. If you'd like, can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com? We would just need your first and last name, business name and the best contact information for you. Thank you.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Worst company in 31 years to deal with their thieves and liars and deceitful. They make a lot of initial promises and then don't follow through and next thing you know you're losing money and not gaining money. I simply tried to retire and get my 401K money out and they practically ask for blood to identify me but they didn't need any type of critical identification to take my money. Customer service is the lowest you could ever believe just nothing but the runaround on the

phone. Contacting attorney general and hiring in a tournament to get my money.

Paychex response

Hello, Paul. We would like to speak with you directly regarding your concerns. Would you be willing to email us at reviews@paychex.com? Providing your full name, Company name and ID would be most helpful. Thank you.

Paychex Company Information