2.09/5
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a recommended PEO service now

Last updated: April 19, 2018

23 Paychex Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 19, 2018

Paychex double paid an employee, didn’t file my start quarterlies. Files incomplete reports after I had cancelled. Has not refunded my money for the penalty or the invoicing they did after cancellation. Like 6 months or more after cancellation, still receiving quarterly reports with zero balances because there’s nothing to report. They are a ridiculous excuse for an accounting company. So many mistakes. More work than doing it myself.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I dealt with Paychex for over 20 years flawlessly on both our parts and they never skipped a beat. I formed a new company awhile ago. I provided them all the info to do withholding for 2 states. When one state contacted me and said they have never received and reports. I spoke to my rep and was assured this wasn't the case. After 2 weeks of back and forth it turn out it was the case but it was my problem and the supervisor claimed that the conversation I had with my payroll rep never happened. I sucked it up and confirmed that all was good with my South Carolina account and was assured, "Yes, all was in order" only to find out 1 year later that the same issue was happening in South Carolina and the employment commission went into my account and took 3k...

Again was assured by my rep that it was an administrator mistake and it would be handled. 3 weeks later a different arrogant manager that I left 6 messages for over 10 days finally took my call (never called me). Told me nothing they can do and if I'm that dissatisfied maybe it's time to switch companies. This is insane!! She couldn't tell me a reason for anything other than not their issue and spoke as if I had just woken her up from a deep sleep. No energy and completely disinterested in the problem other than to tell me again that my payroll rep wouldn't say that...

I suggested that she pull the recordings as every call says it will be recorded as I could provide date and approximate time of call, her response "We don't record calls. We just put that on the recording." They used to be a class A company for payroll. No issues, didn't even have to think about anything other than submitting payroll weekly and they took care of the rest. What a shame how horrible they have become. And for the record this is only my 2nd review on a company in my life if that tells you anything about how bad it is.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 10, 2018

Paychex 401 retirement services - I have been trying to close my account for the past 6 months and they have been making it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to do so. I file the paperwork. And I still get bills in the mail. It's a big joke at this point. They just won't let me out.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We used Paychex on-line payroll accounting for several years. The software was unreliable and crashed often. It did get better with time but there were still problems when we decided to migrate elsewhere. Our rep. made a mistake on our reporting that cost us substantial penalties. The rep refused to own up to it and resigned soon after. We put our account on hold in mid-summer while we moved our location. After a few months Paychex started to charge us a user fee even though we had no payroll. At the end of the year we had to pay the user fee in order to access our account for reporting. My experience corresponds with others as they continued to try to raid our bank account even though we were not using the service. I would not recommend this company to anyone. We are very happy with our new service.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am a small business with just two employees, each in a different state. Paychex repeatedly did not pay employer taxes on time, the error being discovered when I had to sign for registered letters from one state alerting me of the delinquency. To get it correct took weeks, and countless hours of my time following up their various departments and managers. Granted, they did give me several weeks of "free" payroll, but my time and business reputation are worth more than their compensation.

As I write, it's been over a year since I moved my payroll services and I'm STILL dealing with Paychex mistakes. In this case, it's an employee disability policy that they can't seem to properly cancel. I'm an insurance broker myself. I promise you, it's not difficult to cancel a policy. Run, don't walk in the other direction. THERE ARE TOO MANY PAYROLL PROVIDERS OUT THERE TO RISK YOUR BUSINESS REPUTATION AND ACCOUNTING WITH PAYCHEX!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been using Paychex as my payroll company for two years now. During that time the customer service was terrible. They have very high turnover of employees and every couple of months I was having to retrain my new specialist who would run my payroll incorrectly. Finally I decided I had enough and was going to hire someone new at the beginning of the year but when I googled quitting Paychex I found lots of people saying when they tried to quit they suddenly came up with "additional charges" and just took the money from their bank account.

So before I said I wanted to cancel I called my bank and asked them to block any further auto withdrawals. It's a good thing I did because after asking five times to close my account and to be sent a final bill, and after paying that final bill, they suddenly sent me a "new final invoice" with $418 owed for miscellaneous fees I had never heard of nor paid before during my two year history with them. Whatever you do never, ever use this company for any services because they will try and scam you out of additional funds if you try to leave. If anyone else out there is interested in joining me and finding a lawyer to sue them I would love to hear from you.

Original review: March 6, 2018

NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN! Imagine dealing with a huge bureaucracy that doesn't care at all about your needs then imagine Paychex. This over bloated, poorly run Payroll Company was enough for me to never want to have payroll again! The constant need to contact a representative, unclear information, clumsy website and mindless roadblocks in trying to achieve ANYTHING. Just trying to call them is a headache! All calls are routed to your representative and if they're doing a crappy job (mine was) then good luck finding their boss. And when you do, they'll continue the tradition of making then breaking the promises! Absolutely horrific experience! If you're looking to hire a payroll company RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. Two weeks in a row no one called me for payroll at the agreed upon time. I had 1 rep for 2.5 years. She was terrific. Once she left the service went downhill fast. When I needed something, even an answer to a quick question, no one would respond to emails or voicemails left. I was told that they were too busy. Too busy to help a customer? Today I was told that I wasn't a priority, payroll was. Okay so a call for 3 straight days you are too busy to answer and payroll not being met yet again? I quit. I had to find a company that would give a hoot about our company and our employees. It is unacceptable to say they are too busy. My employee did not get his check. Explain that to him. Too busy is an excuse not a reason. Stay until your work is done then. Just horrible service. Their sales reps are good but after they get you to sign you are in a for a hurtin'.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Horrible, I cannot believe this company is in business and are allowed to do business, they are frauds. They are incompetent thieves. They will make promises of ease of use, discounts & free service and still bill you for them. They cannot process payroll correctly. If you are lucky to get a hold of a person they are ignorant and don't know anything. They will mess up your life/business and waste your time & money. I only used them for 1 month before canceling my service, I have been waiting for 3 months for them to credit back my account on charges they continue to auto draft. Here's the kicker, I am still getting charges from them. Time to contact my bank to stop payments, There goes more money and time out the window. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This company's pay system is HORRIBLE! I do not recommend any company to use their services for employees. As of this morning, I had to log into my acct... Username, password, answer 4 security questions, receive 4 verification codes, jump through 8 circus hoops, put clown makeup on, etc...And still NOT able to get into my acct. for my password. I was on the phone with ignorant folks that did not even know what was going on or how to help me. I got into my account after 45 minutes to NOT have my paystubs loaded!!! So, wasted 45 minutes of my time NOT to have the info. Are you kidding me!? I've had it with this CRAPPY ** company!!! Every two weeks the exact, same issues. I should be able to enter my username/password and IMMEDIATELY get into my acct -- NOT! Use ADP!!! Use ADP!!! This company is the worst!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I've had endless problems with Paychex. They have 1. taken money out of my account unauthorized, which cost me several overdraft fees with my bank. 2. They have been neglectful in filing my quarterly and some annual returns, causing me being fined by the government for late penalties. 3. They have written out checks for the wrong amount to my instructors. I really honestly don't think that their service could be any worse. I don't know if it is because my business is so small (10 employees), so they don't make me a priority??? But because I am such a small business, I have less wiggle room for mistakes. Effective after my next payroll, I will be canceling my Paychex account. I would recommend for small businesses to NOT use their services.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

PAYCHEX has written and verbal strict instructions "HAVE NO CONTACT." Still they continue to violate the law. I am a payroll customer for years, but they DO NOT control their sales or should I say up-sales team. Continued relentless phone tactics last by Frantz **, who btw refused to let it go. Getting very disgusted with PAYCHEX's behavior. STOP HARASSING YOUR CUSTOMER, FOLLOW THE DO NOT CALL ORDER.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

They are so incompetent taxing me on a nontaxable reimbursement I finally caught since January. Here it is October 10 days ago they were to go back and correct all of my paychecks and refund the differences. Have they done anything? In 10 days which they said would only take a few days they have done 4 days. Incompetence is no excuse. I will be seeing an accountant and attorney. They will regret ignoring me. Don't use this company. They have zero clue.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Awful experience. The payroll and time programs don't communicate and don't know what is happening on each other's end so you're ultimately using two companies it feels like. Lots of technical issues on the time side. Hidden charges. The worst ever customer service experience as a business owner I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Our CEO signed up our small company with Paychex Retirement Services, presumably to help with the administrative burden. Instead, they just ripped us off. The returns were half of what my other accounts were getting, with large administrative fees. The customer service is simply horrible -- they give contradictory advice and run you around their phone lines. Apparently, they won't fill out any paperwork. They charge you for distributions. Using this company was a mistake, and at our last corporate meeting, we all recommended dropping this company. It's better to go straight to Fidelity or another fund, and skip these useless middlemen.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I had withdrawal Paychex services from Feb 2017 with numerous calls and emails on their service terminated. Paychex continue to withdraw funds from my checking account. I tried to stop the deduction, my bank said cannot stop the deduction. The only thing is to reach out and settle it with Paychex. Today 4/28 received the email from Paychex that stated quote, "Termination paperwork has a last check date of 1/1/2017. We are unable to backdate a termination, please complete the paperwork with a future date and return to us for processing." For real this is not my problem, I had forward email and calls Paychex payroll & 401K with my CPA but they just don't care, still continue to withdraw funds after the termination letter was sent.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The variety of service is very wide. An open company to purchase a wide range of stuff. They are nothing short of having more product than you could imagine. I have used them many times over. To begin with they are very helpful.They can outsource tasks like payroll compensation etc with ease and very dependable as an outsourcing company. They train in outsourcing. They bring together resources and people together for a dedicated dependable way of hiring in difficult situations. I believe they can bring together a company in need. Outsourced work has been a lifesaver in the company I am employed by. So much needed training and learning to the employees. Made it easier to deal with other tasks and not worry.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

They are flexible. Very reliable. Quick and easy. We receive paychecks very quickly with no errors. They are very organized with the data we send them and very proficient in what they do. They are very ease with use because once we send them the hours and what not they process everything very quickly with less questions. They are easy to use when we have been using them for so long. We have had no issues and will keep using them as long as they keep doing what they are doing. I say their value is 100%. They are inexpensive with great ethics and reliability. We don't get over charged and sometimes if there is an error they will fix it immediately without extra charges.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Offered me the ability to handle my payroll needs with my small business. Was able to provide employee access via the Internet. Big win! Super easy to use their product and offering. Set up and drop employee information into their system and you are good to go. The staff made it easy for me to provide services to my human resource team as well as my employees. Offers great and easy to use online help as well. The product could be a little bit less expensive but overall I am happy with the cost for the services that it provides. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Paychex provides the entire onset of payroll services, from calculating and distributing paychecks/stubs to calculation of employer taxes due plus providing employees with year end w-2s. Paychex takes out all of the hassles of the payroll process. They offer many options to the employer for gathering payroll data and takes all of the worries out of having to handle the payroll processes within the company (handle internally).

Paychex provides all of the necessary training needed to make the payroll process very manageable. They teach with ease of use even for someone with very little understanding of any of the payroll procedures. The service that Paychex offers saves our company so much money. Our company does not have to staff any personnel to handle any of the payroll processes. Their services are so valuable to our company and our bottom line and lessens the need for additional personnel (office staff) to handle the payroll processes.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

They have much variety it is crazy. I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I like that. I really do. The options they got for training is great. There are so many and I love how many way I get and the people. The price is the best feature to start.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

People has a wide variety of different types of products that are very good. In fact the company surpasses the rest of the competition. I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. A wide variety and range of training options that will keep you interested for a long time down the road. Great value for the money and anyone interested in this product and service in the future and now you won't be disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

It has the right services what we wanted and how we wanted and it's very easy and fast to deal with compare to other other companies. No other companies have this kind of service and the price is reasonable too. Their service under which an employer can outsource employee management tasks easily, such as employee benefits, payroll and workers' compensation, recruiting, risk/safety management, and training and development that makes our company to go through many works faster and save time. Services we benefit from the shared responsibility, health and life insurance, retirement planning, employee training also the Payroll Administration...

Paychex expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paychex, Inc. was founded in 1971 as a payroll outsourcing company. Today they serve over 600,000 clients in more than 100 locations across the United States. Paychex provides payroll and human resources products and services for small, midsize and large businesses.

• Grows with your business: Paychex has separate options for small, midsize and large businesses, so small businesses can grow with Paychex to have the right solutions for their needs from the same company.

• Cloud accounting software: Small businesses will appreciate Kashoo software, a cloud based software specifically designed as a simple online accounting solution. Take care of all your accounting needs with this cloud software that also works on mobile devices.

• Tax services: Paychex’s tax service solution Taxpay helps small businesses with payroll and sales taxes. Taxpay works with Paychex Payroll to manage your business’s tax payments and all IRS electronic filing and reporting requirements.

• Benefits mobile app: Download Paychex Flex from your android or iPhone app store to stay connected, view paystubs, view retirement balances and enrollment information and more. Employees and business owners will benefit from the convenient features of Paychex Flex.

• Paychex Time mobile app: Paychex Time is another mobile app available for Paychex customers. It allows employees to punch in and out right from their mobile device. The app doesn’t contain payroll data, so employees can stay logged in without risking the exposure of their private and secure information.

• Best for: Paychex is best for small and midsize businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs