Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

BOTTOM LINE

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

PROS

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

CONS

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Top Paychex Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this product and service in the future and now you won't be disappointed.

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I like that… The options they got for training is great. ... The price is the best feature to start.

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
    • Business loans
    • Tax services
    • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
    • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
    • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
    Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
    What is Paychex Flex?
    Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
    How much does Paychex cost per month?
    Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
    Does Paychex do direct deposit?
    Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
    What bank does Paychex use?
    Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: July 10, 2020

I own a small company, in January I received garnishment papers for an employee, i paid extra for the service and almost 7 months later and Paychex haven't released the garnished money to the attorney. I made several phone calls. Each time they promise they will take care of the issue and today is the day that nothing has happen.

Paychex response

Hello Olivia. We are sorry to hear of your experience, and would like to offer assistance. Please e-mail us at Reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your full name, and the phone number at which you can be reached, and we will connect with you to discuss in more detail. Thank you.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I was the owner of the company that closed down because of the pandemic call. I’ve had an outstanding loan on my 401(k) cause their outdated call website would not allow me to pay it online. I called them and the woman instructed me to just roll over to the IRA and I would be given the opportunity to pay the loan. That did not happen. Instead it went to default. Called them and they said they would hold distributing the check and allow me to pay the loan. They then sent me the check. I spent countless hours on the phone trying to remedy the situation. I will get a different person each time and they would promise me something different.

Paychex response

Hello Chris. We are sorry to hear of your experience, and would like to offer assistance. Please e-mail us at Reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your full name, and the phone number at which you can be reached, and we will connect with you to discuss in more detail. Thank you.

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

We are in the hospitality business with 7 day/week operations. Paychex's systems and solutions are designed around M-F organizations (government?). Even thought they admit that now - after a year of trying to make reports work - it hasn't been enough for them to deliver much of what they told us during the sales process. I even reached out to the President for help. Either they have given up on themselves (selling block?) or they have given up on us; I can't figure out which. The thought of having to go through this again with another payroll company is discouraging beyond words.

Paychex response

Hello Ron. We are sorry to hear of your experience, and would like to offer assistance. Please e-mail us at Reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your full name, and the phone number at which you can be reached, and we will connect with you to discuss in more detail. Thank you.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I spent several weeks setting up a payroll account and asked at one time if we were moving too fast, and was assured it was all under control. I wanted to do payroll early in case there were glitches but was assured everything was set up. My employees depend on direct deposit and I was careful to provide and verify they had the correct information. When it came time for payroll, with a 3 hr deadline, I found they never set up direct deposit, did not have social security numbers and paper checks were going to be sent arriving a week after payday. I could not believe the incompetence to set up such a straightforward item. They never apologized, and after telling me earlier bank info took several days to set up, now were telling me it could be done in a few minutes. I lost all faith in their competence and cancelled the entire installation.

Paychex response

Hi Keith - We are sorry to hear of your experience, and would like to offer assistance. Please e-mail us at Reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your full name, and the phone number at which you can be reached, and we will connect with you to discuss in more detail. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2020

USE AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!! They deserve a negative star if elephants could fly right?? They didn’t get anything correct. Payroll to employees is very crucial and they made the process a living nightmare. They made it two payrolls! Only because it took that long to get another one in place. It took them an extra month to get started, and I knew I had made a mistake. I was already looking for a replacement before the first payroll and had I known the level of incompetence, I would have never let them go forward for the one month they did get. Lack of communication. Last minute- we need this signed and this signed and we didn’t get this after documents being sent 3 and 4 times. They took 401k deductions without a 401k in place. They sent 100% of payroll for federal income tax.

Now 6 weeks after I terminated services, in my opinion for breach of contract, they are charging 1200 for “final audit” for a $50,000 in payroll. If it wasn’t so “fubar” it would almost be funny. So as other reviewers out there have posted the last dime they are getting from my small business, and the lawyer will at least be asked about this, not that it would be worth the hassle, and this crooked company knows that. There are much much better companies out there!!!!

Paychex response

Hello Lee. We are sorry to hear of your experience. Please e-mail us at Reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your name, and the best phone number to reach you and we will have someone follow-up with you to further discuss. Thank you.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I had been a client of their payroll dept and have had nothing but trouble. Currently, they refuse to send me my tax information from 2019. I believe they are doing this simply because I dropped them as a company. At one point, my payroll specialist sent me "by mistake" the W-2's for six employees from another company…including their social security numbers, income amount, home addresses, etc. All at my fingertips, right there. If I was not an honest person I could have easily used this information. These people had six figure incomes. I have had them regularly process payroll incorrectly…probably 10+ times a year or more. This company does not care about your business AT ALL. They are difficult. When you have a problem, they show very little concern. I have had to file a complaint with the BBB and am waiting to receive my payroll info for 2019.

Paychex response

Hi Lisa - I am very sorry to read of your concerns, and would like to see what we can do to assist. Please e-mail us at reviews@paychex.com with your company name, your name, and the best phone number to reach you and we will have someone reach out to discuss. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2020

In my experience with Paychex, as a provider of 401(k) retirement services, there are decided shortcomings in the quality of their service. While they did provide what I found to be an excellent selection of funds to invest in at the same time they also lack many features that other companies offer standard. For example:

1) Paychex doesn't provide monthly statements, either emailed or online.
      2) Paychex doesn't provide detailed up to date information on accounts.
      3) Paychex doesn't provide any information on employer matching funds.
      4) Paychex doesn't allow account holders the option to rollover their fund in like-kind to another retirement account.
      5) Paychex charges a $75 fee for rollover checks. Many financial services do rollovers such as this for free. Is it a coincidence this is the only rollover option they offer?

6) In my case, in a process filled with errors and a not at all user-friendly system, my rollover request took 5 weeks to complete.

Most professional financial institutions provide all the above features as a standard service. If Fidelity is a Porsche then Paychex is a Yugo. In my opinion, it's generic, bare-bones, brand X, bargain-basement financial service and it shows. Before hiring Paychex you should thoroughly review their service, what they offer, and what they don't. Then compare them to other companies and see what they offer. Then finally ask what is the best service for your employees and will serve them best for their retirement and investment needs.

Paychex response

Hello Richard, We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to review your concern in more detail. Can you please email Reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID and phone number so we can reach out to you directly? Thank you.

Original review: May 1, 2020

In January of this year I contacted Paychex to help us with our payroll services. We are a small business and I was under the impression that they do right by small businesses. I was so happy to negotiate an agreement with the Paychex rep that honored us as a small business by reducing some of their fees so we could get up and running without too much of a cost.

Much to my dismay, these agreements that were promised by Zac ** of Paychex were not upheld and we have been charged significantly more than he promised us. We have all of our ducks in a row in terms of agreements that were made with him via email and we are trying to follow up but nobody is responding. It is maddening and it was a huge mistake to go with them! They will promise you the stars and the moon, and when it comes down to it it is just a bait and switch method. I’m guessing that their sales reps get incentives to sign deals so they make whatever promises they need to to get you in the door and then screw you over. I’m sorry for the strong language, but this has been extremely frustrating!

Paychex response

Hello Heather, We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to review your concern in more detail. Can you please email Reviews@paychex.com with your Company Name/ID and phone number so we can reach out to you directly? Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I have been with Paychex for several years now, and am very satisfied with their service. However, my bookkeeper just informed me that our payroll processing fees are now $14,000 per year. Yeah, you heard that right, $14,000 per year for a company of 12 employees. I never agreed to that price and now that I look back at our payroll fee history, I see it gradually climbs without authorization. I have been asking for payroll fee breakdowns and a solid quote for future business as I do not want the hassle of changing payroll companies. We will see how it goes.

Paychex response

Hello Dave, we would like the opportunity to further review your concern. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com? We'll need your full name, client ID or business name, and the best phone number to contact you at. Please be sure to put 'Consumer Affairs Review Follow-up' in the email subject line.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I am a business owner in NYC and was completely ripped off by them. I cancelled the account on several occasions and (admittedly my fault for not checking regularly) came to find that for TWO YEARS they were auto debiting funds from my account for services I was not getting! When I confronted them they gave me a run around for over 6 months and then credited me $45 after fraudulently taking over $500! Don't walk, RUN from this horrible company!

Paychex response

Hi Nancy, we are sorry to hear this has been your experience. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com with your Client Name/ID, your name and the best way to contact you so we can look into your concerns further? Thank you.

Paychex Company Information