2.03/5

Discover a recommended PEO service now

Paychex

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of integrated human capital management solutions for payroll, benefits, human resources, and insurance services.

69 Paychex Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 23, 2019

Don't trust this company with bank account. I had to cancel my account due to not having any more employees, although I only had one. I had planned on continuing with Paychex when I hired another employee until they pulled money out of my account without telling me. They claimed it was in my contract which I know it wasn't explained to me then because with one employee it would not have been cost effect. My reason for changing was cost for one employee and they never told me about this charge because it would make no sense for me to switch from Quickbooks.

After I canceled, 3 weeks later I notice a withdraw of funds from my bank account (approx 280.00) from Paychex. When I called I explained I had canceled and why was I charged? They said "It is the charge to run your W-2s for 2109???" What? It's March? And where did this charge come from? He gladly returned the money to me and just kept saying they will just charge me in December 2019. Still? I don't get where they can just "TAKE" the money out of your account? Secondly, this charge was never brought up when I signed for the account. Like I said, I would have never switched to them for one employee. Paychex is actually more per month (with their newly added W-2 charge) than Quickbooks. They HAVE HIDDEN FEES, watch them and don't even bother with a company that feels free to make charges and just take them out of your bank account. If you have them "CHECK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT" for made up charges.

Paychex response

Mary, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: April 18, 2019

So, after speaking with a friend who just retired from working in payroll for the last 30 years as well as two people in Human Resources and another that is a bookkeeper for the past 25 years, I explained the situation of the issues with my payroll. Hearing "sometimes we don't take out the taxes so you have more money in your check", raised a red flag. The woman at the payroll company is making decisions on my behalf as to when she feels I should or should not have taxes taken out of my check. Sometimes, federal gets taken out and sometimes it does not. Sometimes, state gets taken out and other times, no. Sometimes, she takes out local... and you get the idea. My expenses, my money, my life is none of this woman's concern.

This is a part-time job for me and this issue has completely screwed up my taxes for this year and I will not go through another year like this. This year has already been screwed up enough by her and her gross incompetence at her job. I shouldn't have to say this, but I want the correct amount taken out of my check that is supposed to be taken out for FEDERAL, STATE and LOCAL taxes. I DO NOT give this woman (or her company) to take out less than I am demanding be taken out to cover my taxes because she (or any other entity) decides they know what is best for me and my life. Why should I even have to say that!?!?!

This is causing so much stress for myself and other employees at our company who have varying degrees of payment through the year. For the people that have the same pay each week, they see no difference, but because I work part-time and my hours change, this woman decided that SHE KNOWS BEST and has taken it upon herself to decide when I pay and what I pay and to whom I pay each pay period. That is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!! I have NEVER, in my 30 years of working, NEVER dealt with anything like this before and this issue has tainted my working at the company I am working at presently.

Paychex response

Hi Anthony, Sorry to hear you are having some difficulties. If you could please confirm employer and the contact you are referring to, we can reach out to our client to offer some assistance. Thanks!

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Employers, save yourself some trouble with your employees by not using Paychex for their 401k services. I left my employer 2+ years ago and have not received my statements since. They lock their system up for 23+ days after the quarter ended, so they can "prepare statements", and during this blackout period, I couldn't request any of my missing statements. When I called and talked to a real person, there were nothing they could do either. Not sure what to do here.

Paychex response

Windy, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and employers name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 16, 2019

I am never enrolling in Paychex FSA ever again. I decided to enroll in the FSA to save some money for a LASIK procedure, so I planned for it to occur this year. I maxed out during the enrollment period, got the debit card at the start of the year, then used it to pay for a portion of the procedure. Of course, uploading receipts should be required, but my claim got denied TWICE. I submitted the bill that the office gave me with my name+information, date of procedure, how much it costed, all clearly included with the name and location of the office (very obviously indicating what procedure was performed).

Then I received an email from Paychex saying it was insufficient documentation. Okay, so I go back to the office and tell them, so they gave me another version of the bill with pretty much the same information as the previous. They thought it was strange that the first bill they gave me did not work when it usually works for other patients' FSAs. I uploaded the receipt, then got denied AGAIN! This is ridiculous! I checked online and found out I wasn't the only one and that I wasn't crazy. I think Paychex is just trying to deny every claim out there so people give up and they just get to keep all the money in the end. Never enrolling in Paychex's FSA EVER AGAIN. It's a scam.

Paychex response

Joyce, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 15, 2019

Terrible experience with the FSA flex spending account. I’d give zero if possible. I know some claims would probably be denied because I wasn’t sure, but they denied even the clearest doctor items in part, and I’m out 4 figures of my own money because of them. Thieves. It’s not worth the pre tax deduction between the time spent trying to get the money back and the money they refuse to reimburse.

They were claiming the receipts didn’t have all the required info, and I went running around to get the info, and the poor support staff at the Dr office were trying to help me. They told me they hadn’t had problems with that form before and pointed out it clearly already had the information, so (for instance) I resubmitted that same receipt from one office, and they reimbursed part of it again, but not the whole thing that should have been reimbursable. It doesn’t make any sense.

I’ll never use this “benefit” again. They made me jump through hoops to get back the money they deducted from my paycheck and still never reimbursed everything I should have gotten reimbursed. I’ll never choose to put away even the smallest amount into the FSA again because even the clearest reimbursable ones were a fight to get reimbursed, and only partially reimbursed at that.

Paychex response

K, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 11, 2019

I enlisted Paychex to manage my payroll and they bungled the transition, filed my taxes incorrectly, paid my employee on the wrong day and charged me the wrong price for their service...all in the first 2 weeks. After less than 3 months I was forced to cancel due to their incompetence, inability to understand simple tax law, and internal communication problems. I’m still waiting on a refund of the tax withholding a the collected so I can file my taxes as they can’t seem to figure anything out. Stay far away. They oversell their capabilities then crash and burn on delivery. Trust all the 1 star reviews you see, they’re nothing but a glorified call center with very little tax knowledge that will continuously spam you with unwanted call and emails if trying to sell additional products they offer, even after you request they stop multiple times.

Paychex response

Jon, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 8, 2019

I had canceled my services at the end of July, 2018 and had requested that they still file my year end tax return docs (with documentation to reflect this). Not only did they not do that but did not notify the OEC and I continue to get delinquency notices. Once we realized that Paychex would not admit they made a mistake or try to rectify it, my CPA and I have tried multiple times to get the pertinent information from them so I could still file all my year end returns but they will not return calls or cooperate.

Paychex response

Good Morning, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to have someone look into this and offer prompt resolution. Please send your contact information in a private message and someone will reach out to you directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 6, 2019

They charge a fortune and mess up everything all the time. From my address, to HSA deductions. They took large sums money out out of my personal account (I am an employee!), not once but twice... They won't respond. Just terrible and traumatic.

Paychex response

Good Morning. I'm sorry about the experience you have had with Paychex. I'd like to have a manager review your account to address your concerns. Please send your business name and contact info. Thank you so much for reaching out. I hope we can get this resolved for you quickly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 29, 2019

The sales process with Paychex was great, I was excited about the HR onboarding and how beneficial it will be for the company. The 2 sales rep came in and did their pitch but I wasn't interested in the payroll but thought the HR portion would be phenomenal. The guy advised how it was working for his father's company (who knows, might be a pitch) but overall I was excited.

He was on me to sign on which I did towards the end of January 2019 and follow by sending him a voided check for the monthly payment. February 14th, Paychex debited my account for over $1200. Mind you I'm waiting for services to start. I had a conference call with an HR specialist, who came over and I advised how excited I was to get on board. Well, let's say it's been a nightmare.

An absolute joke of a company, I was excited about the product and another business owner indicated how she wanted Paychex to help with her handbook and it was an horrible experience. Please do not, I REPEAT do not go with this company without reading other people's experiences. My biggest mistake. All I need is for the company to refund my money, the sloppy experience as well as a total waste of my time wasn't worth $1200... If there was -0 negative Paychex deserves it.

Paychex response

Hello Y, I'm sorry about the experience you have had with Paychex. I'd like to have a manager review your account to address your concerns. Please send your business name and contact info. Thank you so much for reaching out. I hope we can get this resolved for you quickly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 28, 2019

After a very bad experience with workers comp policy now my paperwork is being hijacked and held for RANSOM!!! I was told that I have to pay another $500.00 or more for my W-2 to be mailed to me as well as even more money for a requested form 940 and 941! This is robbery and I wont have it. I will be contacting the IRS to inform them that the reason I cant file 2018 employment taxes is because Paychex is holding my legal and paid for paperwork for ransom. Then I will get our local tv stations involved as they love to report on stuff like this. VERY UNHAPPY!!!!

Paychex response

Mike, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 18, 2019

When we first tried to use payroll protection, they did not catch our payroll in time and our payroll bounced causing a 10% additional invoice and a deposit requirement equal to our payroll. Great help, huh? Then we tried again and was told we cannot use it unless two payrolls we without and returned items from our bank. Paychex seems to have two faces. The sales reps telling how well Paychex helps, then the rude folks who assure you that your company does not meet their high standards. But no matter what, additional, unexplained withdrawals from your account are going to occur at any time without notice or any concern. Paychex is a one way street.

Paychex response

Ronald, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I was requesting for my 401K rollover check for almost 2 months now. First, they mailed me a check with federal taxes withheld even though I filled up and signed the rollover form that the money will be directly rollover to an investment company not ROTH IRA. When I received the 1st check Federal taxes withheld, called them and told them that they made a mistake and they e-mailed me Void and Re-issue form, filled up, signed, returned with the 1st incorrect check via registered mail which cost me around $8.00. On the VOID and REISSUE form I check OPTION 4, rolling over to IRA not ROTH IRA, I even wrote DO NOT WITHHOLD TAXES NOT ROLLING OVER TO ROTH IRA, very clear instructions to follow.

When I received the replacement check taxes was withheld again same amount of the first check, payable again to same investment company. I called them and told them that they are very incompetent and can not follow a simple written instructions. I returned the second check again via registered mail cost me again around $8.00 and they said that they will re-issue the 3rd check with no federal taxes withheld. I am still waiting for my check. Let's see what the 3rd check will be.

Paychex response

Luisa, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and employer name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Paychex Payroll: We switched Payroll and HR providers from ADP to Paychex; in hindsight, we should have stayed with ADP. The implementation process was far from efficient, our account representatives would ask us for something signed, we would provide it, only to have another representative say that Paychex never received the said item. Nothing was transferred or entered properly. We had employees' W4s, which were correct when we had ADP, magically turn into nothing. Paychex was configuring taxes at 0 instead of whatever the amount our employees had originally chosen. Some employees no longer had W4s in the Paychex system entirely.

The Fund Availability that Paychex asks you for, to run payroll, is not the amount you actually need. We bounced two payroll checks because Paychex gave us the wrong amounts. Then proceeded to tell us it was our fault, even though we have documentation to prove it had nothing to do with us. They then proceeded to make life more difficult by forcing us to wire the money prior to any funds being deposited into our employee's accounts. The CEO of my company and myself (CIO) contacted multiple people on the Paychex staff to talk to a supervisor about our situation, we never received a single callback for a resolution. January 2019: our employees are awaiting their W2s, our employees began to call Paychex and us for information on their W2s. Paychex tells us and them that they are not sending out the W2s. About 2 weeks later the W2s started trickling in.

Paychex HR: Though we were having nothing but headaches in dealing with Paychex, we were interested in benefits and the HR package. A sales rep came to our location and sold us on that if we were to do this we would actually save a bit of money because all the fees we had already paid for implementation would be refunded to us (remember this for later in the review). We would be set up with Onboarding, Digital applications that potential employees could fill out from their phone, or tablet, Facebook, etc., and their HR suite. Included in this package would be a rep who would come to us go through our handbook and make sure everything was valid and legal, then all of our HR issues would be handled by the app (write-ups, distribution of handbooks, etc.).

Promised Refund. They gave us a refund of $180 even though we spent around $8000 in various fees associated with implementation. When we tried to get the money we were promised, we could not seem to get a hold of anyone. We spent a month trying to get a hold of anyone who could help us. Nobody ever did, and the sales rep refused to answer our calls and emails.

Benefits. We were set up to receive medical, dental, and vision via Paychex. This worked for the majority of our employees who wished to have insurance; however, we started getting reports that employees who had not signed up for insurance were being charged biweekly for an imaginary plan, and every one of them was paying the same amounts. This took almost a month to fix and Paychex was absolutely no help. They even got the name of our company incorrect when they sent our information to the Insurance Provider.

HR Representative. We were told our HR representative would be in contact to schedule a time to come review our account, that never happened. We continued to make calls to try and find out information on our rep, nobody knew anything. Finally, 2 months later we were able to get in contact with our rep, only to have her be basically useless and provided no service to us, other than another person to call and not get anything accomplished. No visit ever happened.

Fees. Paychex set an installment amount for the HR services implementation of 3 payments. That last payment was invoiced to us 3 times, but yet the fee kept coming back again. When questioned about it, Paychex had no answer as to why we kept receiving the fee. HR Services Package, we never got to use it as they never enabled the suite on our account. Supposedly, on the Paychex Flex website, admins would have access to the HR and On-boarding sections. We requested access from our HR rep, who gave us access after 1 month of asking about it. At that point, we had already decided to end our relationship with Paychex.

Life after Paychex. We have yet to see any refund of the money promised and now we receive harassing and rude phone calls and emails from them. But still, life is much better than it was with Paychex. Final Opinion: Even with 10,000 employees, it would be less of a headache to manually process payroll through Quickbooks, vs using Paychex, or any of their services. If you do decide to use Paychex, make sure that any agreements made with them are in writing. Lesson Learned.

Paychex response

Adam, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have no experience with any other payroll company. 2 Paychex reps in the last 5 years and they have been outstanding! Kudos to Steve and Iva. There have been some mistakes along the way but they have always been responsive to my every question, worked until mistakes are corrected, and researched if they don't know the answer. Through my own mistakes, I have learned to trust the process, system, and my team. If my rep is out, anyone I have ever connected with has been friendly, polite, and helpful. I have been nice to them and they have been nice to me. The original product has some system limitations that require work-a-rounds, can't produce all reports in excel, cross years, or go outside of Dept #s or EE ID's, add extra shifts or special work weeks.

But they have created a new platform, Paychex Flex, that seems to be addressing all of these issues. Looking forward to making that switch. We have Human Resources Online, Time and Labor, and Payroll with Paychex. We pay them a fair amount of money, but, they take care of many, many, many details that I don't need to look after...loading PTO, raises, all of our payroll deductions, sending garnishments, company taxes, W2s, 1094 and 1095 filings with the IRS, etc., without fuss or fanfare. After reading the other reviews, I appreciate my team even more!

Paychex response

Elizabeth, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and for the great feedback!

Original review: March 5, 2019

When I was the HR Manager for my last company, we had numerous problems with Paychex losing or not properly processing insurance enrollment forms. Now that I am on COBRA, they have affected me personally by losing my completed COBRA carrier form. I completed and mailed the form in, and even called twice to confirm that they had received my form. Then, they changed the story a few weeks later and claimed they never received it, even going so far as to insist that I mailed in a blank form, which is completely absurd since I only had one form and distinctly recall filling out all the information on it before mailing it in.

However, the customer service representative and his supervisor both refused to accept that someone at Paychex made a mistake, and they belligerently argued that I never mailed it to them, despite prior confirmation from Paychex that I did. Paychex COBRA is incompetent and has horrible customer service to boot. I can't wait to get on new insurance so I can stop dealing with them. Since I am a Human Resources Manager by profession, I will never recommend any company that I work for to use them as a benefits broker.

Paychex response

Charles, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My wife and I own a DVOSB that deals in Government contracting, mainly IT focused. We have had Paychex for roughly 14 months. Through those 14 months we have had nothing but headaches, due to their payroll service. It took several months before they started pulling payroll taxes. Once they did they weren't even paying them. We consistently received unpaid tax letters from two states, which they stated they would handle. However, it was not. It got to a point that a lien was put on my wife's bank account for unpaid taxes to VA.

Our Payroll specialist never responds in a timely manner. The managers and supervisors appear to always be on vacation. We are on our 2nd payroll specialist, soon to be our third, since it was found that they were pulling unemployment taxes out for the wrong state. We only have 2 employees, previously 3. out of those three one of them is 1099, which does not need payroll taxes pulled from. So, only 2, now 1 of our employees is W-2. I couldn't even imagine how screwed up our accounts would be if we had more employees. I refuse to suggest this company to any of my other military buddies that are planning to start a business. My question is, How are they still in business. I feel like they do not do anything right. Soon to be a former patron of Paychex.

Paychex response

Michael, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: March 2, 2019

If I could give them minus stars, I would. The sales reps made lots of promises, advising me to move away from my previous software company (Gusto) to them. At first it sounded great, but it quickly turned into a nightmare. With 150 employees, the transition, that Paychex stated they would take care of, was a complete mess. Processing payroll was time consuming.

Trying to get assistance was harder than pulling teeth. When I closed the company and was no longer a customer, trying to obtain the W-2 statements and 1099 statements was even more difficult. I had to ask for them multiple times, often having my emails being ignored (Caity ** was my account rep, who was abhorrent). After getting her supervisor and my attorney involved, I managed to obtain the tax statements that is legally required, but after the IRS deadline to send these to my employees. When I opened my new company I went back to Gusto. A very easy software system to use with fabulous support, and no broken promises. Just stay away from Paychex. It is a nightmare for any small business owner!

Paychex response

Katherine, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I've used them for several years for my small business. I always did notice the turnover in staff was incredibly high, sometimes seemed like every few months a new rep. What is going on there? Are they paying too little, mistreating them? What is it? Because absolutely this reflects some other larger problems in the company. Each rep is always courteous and prompt in replying, and my case is very simple. We have some insurance they withhold for us, but no 401k plans, so it's just straight salary information. My last couple reps made some major mistakes (omitted employees' entirely from a reporting period for example), but I thought it was a one off.

Now I find out there were major errors on withholding for all of 2018 for every employee, that make no sense and don't jibe with the IRS minimums. Since our paystubs are digital only, some employees don't check, and they are hit with a shocker at tax time. No answers. They advertise they guarantee accuracy and will back it up so I am hoping there is some recourse for us. Many of us unhappy clients stay just to avoid the hassle and paperwork of a change of payroll company, but I think I am ready to jump.

Paychex response

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have recently taken on the administration of Payroll and our 401k account which is run through Paychex. If there was an option for zero stars I would give zero. I don't think I have ever had a more horrendous customer service experience than I have had dealing with this company. They want you to give them information but when you the steps you need to take to get said information to them they give you the wrong answer. You then spend hours of your time on the phone with various people in "customer service". All of who tell you different things. The payroll specialists are a joke and don't give you any helpful information or make sure you are properly in compliance. They have people reaching out to the wrong people because you don't have one dedicated account manager to manage all pieces. Seriously, you could probably do your own payroll and 401k administration better than this company could.

Paychex response

Jenna, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I would discourage any potential client of Paychex. They are terrible with payroll and 401K management. I am the owner of a small company and mistakenly kept trying to make this relationship work so that I would have one less task to running my business. They made mistake after mistake. But moreover, they did not care that they made mistakes and never apologized and have the audacity to charge ME for mistakes they made. Investigate other services and read the reviews before deciding to put your trust with Paychex. Not a fan!

Paychex response

Kelley, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience with Paychex. I'd like to have a manager follow up with you to address the handling of your account. Please send me your contact information and the name of your business. Thank you for your review and feedback.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Paychex wrongfully paid an employee that he quit 600$ and when I contacted them they stated they cannot reverse the payment and there is nothing they can do. I stopped my services with them through email on 12/20/2018. On 2/16/2019 they charged me for services I never asked for after not being with them for 2 months.

Paychex response
    Bill, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

In 2016 I started using this company and was satisfied with the service they provided as we had a small payroll. Then the sales team started saying how great their other services were. Don't be a fool and believe them. I signed up to do an employee handbook in December of 2017 and have yet to get their promised copies and here we are in February of 2019. I called to get my promised free Labor law posters only to find out that when I signed up for the "additional" service it changed my original contract. How nice right? They wanted to charge me $139.00 for something that was originally free. I will be looking for another service. Oh and not to mention they change your payroll rep like changing socks.

Paychex response

Sherry, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was using Paychex for years, at first it was fine. Went through specialists like I was drinking water but it didn't bother me as my payroll was simple, until my last specialist!! I hired a new employee, he was working out so I decided to give him a raise after 6 months. I call my payroll in and let them know about the pay increase, when receiving his first higher rate paycheck my employee asks me if he is making more money an hour why is his pay less?? Good question right?

I call my specialist, I ask the same question?? She is looking at her computer, "Let me get back to you" she says. Next day I get a call, this is what she tells me, you ready... She set up my employees' account to only deduct social security every paycheck for the first six months, no deductions for State or Federal taxes in every paycheck for six months???? Was I supposed to babysit the specialist on doing her job???? Needless to say I paid the back taxes for my employee.

Fast forward two years later, I get a solicit email from a Andrew ** from Paychex. Name your own price for fees?? I respond nice and simple, "Paycheck sucks" and hit send. I get a response back to my surprise from Andrew "Sooooo see you next Tuesday @ 3?" This is the kind of people you want to help you with your business?? I don't think so.

Paychex response

Antonio, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I retained PayChex to do one end of year payroll. All they had to do is make one payment to one employee and file the proper forms with the IRS. I advised them multiple time that I was closing the company and to tick the appropriate box on the Federal return and fill in the date on the RT-6 to advise the IRS and State of Florida I was closing the company and this was a final return. I guess I should be half happy they got the IRS form right but they totally botched the RT-6. Not only did they not supply the information that this was a final return, today I get a notice from the Florida Department of Revenue that the RT-6 was incomplete. They are expensive and inept. When I call them their representative said I had to fix the problem they could not. Beware if you are thinking about using their service.

Paychex response

Al, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Nothing but problems from the start. I switched from Intuit to try to save some money and I have nothing but regrets. I get non-stop calls and emails from multiple parties/people associated with payroll. They clearly DO NOT understand that I do not want to talk to them. PAYROLL should be EASY. I don't need 5 different people trying to walk me thru how to enter hours into an app. Seriously, I had no issues over 2.5 years and never had to talk to anyone to get my account setup and running with Intuit. Then, after wasting hours with them, they fail to file the first payroll! Then, the next payroll, they take out funds for checks that I WRITE! WTF?! I indicated I am writing the checks - not them. Once in their app, it looks like it was developed by junior college kids. It was obviously made by someone that has no idea how or what the end users want. AVOID.

Paychex response

John, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I cancelled in 4/2018 and still being charged monthly. No response. Endless hold pattern once they determine my problem. I can't imagine the response once this review gets posted. I tried the online "bot" and get told I must call and speak direct.

Paychex response

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Paychex signed us up for 401k and took thousands of dollars out of my corporate account prior to anyone in company approving 401k participation. I have been told that this is ILLEGAL by several employment specialists and CPS's. I have also spoken to as many people as I can at Paychex to terminate our relationship and 6 weeks later they are still taking money out of my corporate account. These people are crooks!!!

Paychex response

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I've been with Paychex for over a year. The sales process to acquire my business was phenomenal. Every rep was better than the next. Things were moving along smoothly until I ran into a problem and couldn't afford to continue the HR services. I come from a service background and have a passion for quality customer service. Once I discontinued HR solutions, I continued with a new client rep. He was WONDERFUL! A few months later I received an email that I was getting a new rep which I knew wasn't good. Alex was OUTSTANDING! He new the business very well and as unpredictable as my business is, he made me feel like my need for assistance was no big deal, seamless. I always finished the interaction feeling valued.

My new rep is the exact opposite. Not only does she not understand my business but she doesn't appear to know hers either. I'm ok to work with someone that's learning as long as they are willing to be honest and get help on things they don't know. I had to have two payrolls backdated, I explained that I had given one employee a cash advance to help him pay his rent. She told me I had to backdate the payroll to the date I gave the cash advance, I was told that was not true and it cost me a significant amount of money. I had to follow up on the payroll because it sat in a pending status which was blamed on a supervisor. That was one of the payrolls that needed to be backdated the second one just didn't appear.

I called and left messages, sent emails, contacted customer service, explained the situation and was promised the reps manager would be notified and would contact me. I waited two days and no one contacted me. I sent an email to my previous rep and asked for assistance in speaking with a manager, no response. I am now feeling very uncomfortable, I've trusted this company with my payroll and tax reporting and I can't get anyone to help me. Finally I called customer service and started all over explaining my issues. She wanted to send me to my rep but I insisted she not and ask to work with her. She did all that she could to make me whole including speaking with two supervisors to help with a tax reporting issue that I was given different answers of what I was responsible to do.

I'm still waiting for this to be settled and pray it doesn't cost me any more money in penalties. I decided to take a look at the reviews only to find I made a HUGE mistake when I decided to go with this company. The customer service experience is constantly weighed. If a company is truly committed to a quality customer experience it is experienced at every encounter because it's the philosophy of the organization. Paychex clearly crashed and burned on this devalued customer! Customer Service training is clearly needed for all...

Paychex response

Theresa, Sorry to hear this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level of management involved to get your concerns addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have been using the pay checks PEO system for two years. It is a nightmare. My 401(k) profit-sharing is a disaster, I’m not in compliance, and I’ve lost my ability to put away from my retirement. My personal financial advisor says he has never seen such gross incompetence in his 15 years of working with PEO 401(k) profit-sharing plans. In 2018 I am on a 50-50 split with my employees for medical health benefits. They took at 75% I paid and 25% the employees paid. It’s been two weeks and they have been unable to figure out why they are charging me more than I am supposed to and less for the employees.

To add insult to injury, it is the head of the company and the bookkeeper that has found all these egregious errors. If you don’t think the above is bad enough, two weeks ago they paid my employees four times their normal payroll and wiped out my operating bank account. It is taking over two weeks to rectify. They will take no responsibility for any of their actions. You can’t get anyone to give you a straight answer and I can’t even report my profit-sharing for 2018 because I’ve gotten three sets of numbers so far and none of them appear to be correct.

At this point, all they do is delay and delay in conversations about each one of these issues. My staff has caught all of the errors, they have absolutely no oversight and no safeguards in place for any of the above actions listed. Ignore all of their apologies that they give after each one star review, they are meaningless. My hope by posting this is that they finally get back to me with answers. My patience is wearing thin. They have cost me well over $25,000 in losses due to their negligence.

Paychex response

Hello Melanie, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience. I'd like to get the appropriate level manager involved to ensure that your concerns are addressed. Please send me your contact information and business name so I may follow up with you. Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving Paychex the opportunity to follow up.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I'm an employee from a company that uses Paychex. It's the absolutely worst experience I've had with a payroll company. They started charging for health insurance, and when I went to use it I didn't have it yet. I then was told on the website I no longer had insurance and they continue to charge me. When I sent a complaint they advised they will not refund any money. They are disgusting and will not be in business long if they can't work these things out. Look at the list of complaints. ADP is truly the way to go!

Paychex response

Laura, I apologize for your experience. Please confirm the business name of your employer by private message and I will look into this further for you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Paychex expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Paychex, Inc. was founded in 1971 as a payroll outsourcing company. Today they serve over 600,000 clients in more than 100 locations across the United States. Paychex provides payroll and human resources products and services for small, midsize and large businesses.

• Grows with your business: Paychex has separate options for small, midsize and large businesses, so small businesses can grow with Paychex to have the right solutions for their needs from the same company.

• Cloud accounting software: Small businesses will appreciate Kashoo software, a cloud based software specifically designed as a simple online accounting solution. Take care of all your accounting needs with this cloud software that also works on mobile devices.

• Tax services: Paychex’s tax service solution Taxpay helps small businesses with payroll and sales taxes. Taxpay works with Paychex Payroll to manage your business’s tax payments and all IRS electronic filing and reporting requirements.

• Benefits mobile app: Download Paychex Flex from your android or iPhone app store to stay connected, view paystubs, view retirement balances and enrollment information and more. Employees and business owners will benefit from the convenient features of Paychex Flex.

• Paychex Time mobile app: Paychex Time is another mobile app available for Paychex customers. It allows employees to punch in and out right from their mobile device. The app doesn’t contain payroll data, so employees can stay logged in without risking the exposure of their private and secure information.

• Best for: Paychex is best for small and midsize businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs