Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

BOTTOM LINE

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

PROS
  • Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans
CONS
  • Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Top Paychex Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this product and service in the future and now you won't be disappointed.

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I like that… The options they got for training is great. ... The price is the best feature to start.

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
    • Business loans
    • Tax services
    • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
    • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
    • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
    Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
    What is Paychex Flex?
    Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
    How much does Paychex cost per month?
    Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
    Does Paychex do direct deposit?
    Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
    What bank does Paychex use?
    Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Original review: April 5, 2021

We have been with Paychex for several years. They boast a large portfolio with many additional add on's, all of which become costly and tie you into staying with them when they do a horrible job in other departments. HR, was costly and did nothing for us but create a generic employee handbook meanwhile leaving us open to PAGA law here in California. A former disgruntled employee took advantage of this and we had to pay out a huge settlement. This should have been caught by paychex "HR" specialist from the start. They take no responsibility for this oversight. Meanwhile this one error could have bankrupted us. If it wasn't for the fact that our business was so busy this would have been a departure from them. Sadly our agency is growing too quickly, has benefits, and 401K plan through Paychex tying us in.

Fast forward, we continue to have small issue after small issue with them that all could lead to bigger problems. Any time these are brought up, Paychex absolves its self always placing the blame on us. Stating they are just a recording/reporting company and that it is our duty to double, triple check their practices and numbers to make sure everything is okay. They never take responsibility, their customer services is insulting, and they will leave you open to legal vulnerableness. STAY AWAY. Now that our agency is in a more stable position internally we will be looking at other payroll companies this year in order to break our ties. Couldn't be more disappointed!

Paychex response

Good Morning Luke. We would like to look into this concern further for you. Please email us at reviews@paychex.com and include the following information - full name, email address, phone number, Paychex product or service and company name. Please also include "consumer affairs review follow up" in the subject field of the email. We look forward to assisting you. Thanks.

Original review: March 26, 2021

You have to remind them many times of an employee’s change in pay—like when they get a raise—and then you have to deal with back pay. They sent employees our tax records for employers-and didn’t send them their W2. Idiotic mistakes. Constant switching of payroll “specialists” so the only help you get is from someone new. We submitted our final payroll and none of the employees got paid when they were supposed to—a nightmare. I really don’t know how they are still in business. It’s like...this is your one job. You are literally called PAYCHEX and you can’t do that one thing right.

Good Morning Teri,

Thank you for providing us the information. We would like to look into this concern further for you. Please email us at reviews@paychex.com and include the following information: full name, phone number, email address, company name and Paychex product/service. Please also be sure to include "consumer affairs follow-up" in the subject field. We look forward to assisting you further. Thanks!

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I will be brief. I had issued the first two rounds of checks with Paychex. It was the first month. I was discussing payroll with my CPA who expressed concern about an issue with the way my account was set up that had serious implications and penalties for my business if not corrected. I reached out to Paychex with a total of 9 emails starting with my direct agent, through her chain of command up to the corporate office. After several weeks (of being charged more for not running payroll than for running it) they told me the issue was resolved. After following up I learned that it was not resolved. They lied. They are not responsive, they don’t know a lot about payroll. We paid our cost several hundred dollars to correct the issue finally.

Original review: March 3, 2021

It is Very stupid and rude staff. They just cut the calls to the existing customer. But if you are prospective customer they are nice. System is not flexible and for everything what they say is final. I had pay period typo and to correct that they have various stupid solutions and not able to help. Requested for multiple pay cycles with different pay period, system does not support. After you become customer of Paychex you will not be treated good. Either you stay or leave type of attitude.

Paychex response

Good Afternoon Anil. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this concern to ensure your issues are resolved. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com. In the subject line can you please include "Review Follow-up". Please also include the following information to ensure proper follow-up - full name, email, phone number and Paychex product or service you are having issues with. Please and thank you!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I work with several payroll companies and even recommend payroll providers to clients. I'm really writing this review to warn anyone thinking of hiring this company as their payroll provider to seriously reconsider. I think Paychex is the worst payroll provider out there or at least is out of the several companies I have used over the years. It is really important that a payroll service provider is trusted, competent, and has great customer service. Unfortunately, Paychex is none of this.

I cannot tell you the amount of errors that Paychex has committed and this was with providing very clear instructions on changes for each payroll period (you don't even receive reports to review before processing). I cannot trust them to submit tax filings on time or accurately and they even voided two payroll periods for an employee without authorization from the client or myself. This void if not caught would have meant an improper W2, taxes not remitted, and the employee in a tough situation.

The worst is that the payroll specialist is unresponsive and you cannot reach anyone over the phone. I've had more success with Twitter unfortunately. It would be great if their customer service was at least expectational because I understand everyone is human and there are likely to be errors, but the fact that you cannot get ahold of anyone as a payroll provider is ridiculous. Every payroll period I have to worry that payroll is not getting processed because the specialists are this unresponsive. One time I was even able to get through on the phone and instead of helping me, the person on the phone actually yelled and insulted me - all I needed was confirmation that our state registrations had been set-up with Paychex, but that was too difficult. Please do not use this payroll provider.

Good Afternoon Lindsay,

We would like to look into this concern to ensure you issues are resolved. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com. In the subject line can you please include "Consumer Affairs Review Follow-up". Please also include the following information to ensure proper follow-up - full name, email, phone number and Paychex product or service you are having issues with. Please and thank you!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I was with PayChex for about a year and a half. I was quoted some misinformation about direct deposit so I decided to switch to ADP in 2020... I noticed PayChex that I wanted to close my account (they sent me over some information to fax back) and I regret that I didn’t. In 2021 I called to again cancel my account and this time I didn’t have to fax anything over because I was with another payroll company (since 2020 when I originally cancelled the account with PayChex). They charged me $58 each month to keep the account open and I also got some other charges for $90, $71, $70 ??? I guess they are charging To call customer service???? I don’t think this company is transparent enough with their fees.

Paychex response

Hi Leah, I would like to review your concerns related to fees & charges. Can you please email reviews@paychex.com with your full name, company name and the best way to contact you to we can speak? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I was laid off from my previous employer where I had a 401K. During the pandemic I have been unemployed because of covid 19 so looking for some funds, I went to see if I can withdraw my 401K from my previous employer. I went into Paychex flex website and saw that they were charging me outrageous fees, I had over a $1000 in my account and now I have $90 when I chatted with their support team they told me it was because my plan was the only one left from a company that was closed, so I was getting charged all the fees. I think this is absurd and should be illegal. I did not agree to that, why would I be charged for a 401K program from a previous employer. They literally stole my money. And of course, now they charged me a $75 fee to withdraw my money. Leaving me with $15. Terrible business practice. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Good Evening Ignacio,

We would like to further look into this concern for you. Can you please email at us reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Please be sure to put "Consumer Affairs Review" in the email subject. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I set up a payroll account with Paychex for a personal employee. The specialist who set up our account collected all of the documents required in order to have Paychex assume responsibility of paying the taxes on my behalf, filing the quarterly reports and paying the EDD fees, etc. He assured us it was set up and ready to go. That specialist then passed us off to a new specialist who was completely incompetent. She made a mistake of pulling funds from a different account instead of mine and paying someone else's employee instead of mine. So at that point I asked for a new specialist (this is #3 now).

A month or so in she tells me none of the documents were in to allow Paychex to do the reporting and pay the EDD and taxes on our behalf so not only do we need to do that but now we are late and will face late fees. I now have delinquency notices from the EDD, my taxes went unpaid and when I asked Paychex for the address of where to send the tax payments they didn't know! I got two different addresses from two different specialists.

I have contacted the company dozens and dozens of times over the course of the past six months and all they do is hand me off the next person. No one will go to that first specialist responsible for setting up the account to find out what went wrong. I have evidence of emails that he received all the documentation. I have emails with him telling me it was good to go. But not one Paychex representative will tell me they messed this up and help me fix it. They just put the blame back on me. They don't care about us individuals who only employ one worker. They aren't making enough money on us to treat us right. I am still in disbelief that they created this huge mess and won't take ONE SINGLE SHRED of responsibility. It is disgusting. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS unless you want a huge amount of stress and mess to clean up by yourself with no help.

Good Morning Mara,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please email reviews@paychex.com and include "Consumer Affairs Review" in the subject headline so we can further assist. Please include the following information: full name, email address, contact number and Paychex product or service affected. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I was originally with Paychex "SmallBiz Payroll". At some point they switched me over to "PayChex Flex". It calculated the OT incorrectly, they opened up the employee portal for employees to change their own tax status and many other issues that they refused to address. I asked them to change an EIN # to our new one and change bank account information, which they denied.

Finally, I chose to change providers in June 2020. At the end of Jan. 2021, we didn't see the W-2's yet. When I called they said my new provider would process them for us. But the new provider has a different EIN, the last paycheck on the old EIN was from PayChex. They agreed that W-2's were included in my package but gave me 3 different excuses on why they needed to charge me to process them (each a different rep).

1. Since I no longer used their service, the agreement on processing the W-2's is void. I would have to pay, if I still wanted them.
      2. Since we are past the period that they were supposed to provide them, I would have to pay a fee to get them processed.

3. Because I did not tell them that the new processor was using a different EIN, they assumed that they would not process the W-2's. This is 1 of the things I tried to do before changing companies, change the EIN.

Meanwhile, they really only care about charging me more money for services that were already paid for and part of my package (which they agree to). Paychex, please do not reply to this comment with a canned message to write an e-mail like you did all the others. If you really care, fix the issue and get us our W-2's quickly.

Good Morning Eric,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. We would like the opportunity to assist you. Can you please email reviews@paychex.com and include the following information: Name, Phone #, Email, Paychex Product, Plan # or EIN. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

We used this company for years. Their payroll processing fees are very confusing as well as their reports. They continue to switch account representatives without notifying the customer. Account representatives are unresponsive and do not provide the customer service they market as a company. We chose to switch providers due to the inconsistency of their services and billing. Apparently it’s the responsibility of the customer to request year end statements (W-2, 940) if you no longer have any active account at the end of the year.

As per previous reviews, it’s the customer's fault for assuming that a business would automatically send year end documents if you conducted business with them during the year your filing.... which all small businesses have to do/provide by law. Not sure why Paychex is not held to this standard. By the way there will be an additional charge to process these documents. I would highly recommend not to use Paychex as your payroll service provider. Standing your for their standard response to email their reviews department. Wait for it....

Good Morning Steve,

We would like to review your concern and further assist. Can you please email reviews@paychex.com and title the subject "Follow-up Consume Affairs Review". Can you please include the following information: Name, Email, Phone # and Company Name. We look forward to hear from you.

Thank you.