3.9/5 (1114 ratings)
Find a PEO Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Paychex

Paychex is a payroll and human resources solution for companies of all sizes. It offers a wide variety of business services to help employers hire, train and pay their employees. The system is designed to bring all of your business services onto one platform for easy access and optimal organization.

Pros

• Easy to navigate
  • Free online quotes
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Some reviews note slow support

Bottom Line

Paychex is a user-friendly payroll and human resources program designed to streamline business services on one easy-to-use platform.

Top Paychex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Verified

I find it very easy to use. It is very innovative and I'm happy to share this with everybody who wants to try it. ... Great value for the money and anyone interested in this produ...

Verified

I was so happy when I looked at all they had and found just what I need for me. It is so easy and simple to get used to. You do not have to be super tech savvy to work this and I ...

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

What is Paychex?

Paychex customizes business solutions based on your company, your industry, your role in the company and the number of employees. You can request a free quote by answering questions about your company in the quote request tool. A Paychex expert then contacts you to discuss which business services you need and how to seamlessly implement them into your current business model.

Paycheck offers individual services that include:

• Payroll services
  • Business loans
  • Tax services
  • Startup services

Paychex pricing

Paychex allows small and midsize businesses to customize solutions to fit their needs and budget. It offers three subscription services:

• Express Payroll: This option has features such as online payroll management and new hire reporting. This plan can be accessed on the mobile app, and it costs $60 per month plus $4 a month for each employee
  • Paychex Flex Select: This second-tier option includes all of the features of the Express Payroll plan but adds a full-service team of payroll specialists and HR features like additional employee pay options. This plan is $90 a month plus $3 a month for every employee.
  • Paychex Flex Pro: This top-tier option is a full-service business solution with every feature from the above plans plus additional HR services, workers compensation services and 24/7 customer service. This plan is $158 a month and $3.65 a month for every employee.

There is also a Paychex Enterprise option that tailors to more specific business needs. These prices are customized. To get a quote, visit Paychex’s website and fill out the inquiry form.

Paychex FAQ

How do I get my pay stub from Paychex?
Customers can access their pay stub on the “My Account” dashboard on the Paychex website.
What is Paychex Flex?
Paychex Flex is an all-in-one business solution that combines payroll, attendance, benefits, insurance and other HR services into one unified platform.
How much does Paychex cost per month?
Depending on your business’s size and the number of services you need, a Paychex subscription runs anywhere from $60 to $158 a month with additional charges based on the number of employees you have.
Does Paychex do direct deposit?
Yes, Paychex handles direct deposit. The company offers many different ways to pay employees and be paid.
What bank does Paychex use?
Paychex uses First Bank.

Is Paychex legit?

Paychex is a widely used business solutions platform that has been offering payroll and HR services to businesses across the country since the 1970s. It provides a wide variety of services and price points, an innovative mobile app and 24/7 customer support. We recommend its services to any small or midsize businesses looking for an all-in-one human resources and payroll service.

Paychex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paychex?

Resolution response: Jan. 2, 2023

Shortly after the review, a representative from the Paychex client office was able to get someone to help us quickly, and we were assigned a new payroll specialist afterward. We are happy that it was resolved.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

Been their customer for over 8 years, and thinking about switching it every year. It is painful to switch payroll company, as we have over 75 employees. This year is the worst, when we are assigned with a terrible payroll specialist. Put in a request to do a one time payroll deduction a week ago, to my specialist. Follow up with multiple emails, phone calls, and there was no reply via phone or email. Called in several times to ask other payroll specialist to help, but they said they could not help me, due to the large amount of fund involved, so the request had to go back to my assigned specialist.

Contacted her supervisor Jude **, and he promised me that my specialist would call me back, and that was a few days ago. A week went by, and my request, marked as urgent, has not been processed. Left another email message and a phone message to my specialist, as well as a phone message to her supervisor today. I suspect it would be another 3-4 days before it can be resolved, may be longer. I think this is the final straw for staying with this company. For those who are on the fence, try to look somewhere else. Paychex has good product, but horrible process for escalation and there are too many untrained payroll specialist that just don't care. And if you are assigned to one of them, your payroll life is miserable.

Paychex response

Hello, we would like to further look into this concern for you. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Paychex provides no service and no support for its product. What kind of company does scheduled maintenance during peak log-in hours? Seriously, can't clock in at 8:30 AM due to scheduled maintenance? Who does that? No possible way to contact a live person. Customer service number is a recorded menu that tells you to click on the "?" for live chat but there is no live chat. I've now wasted 41 minutes of company time trying to get logged in and/or contact a real person at Paychex.

Paychex response

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

This is the worst company I've ever worked with... I hired them to do our company's payroll and found out two years later that they didn't submit our W2 s to the SSA. I just received a letter from the IRS telling me that I owe $7,743.56 in penalty charges!!! Getting someone to talk to is nearly impossible, much less getting them to help with anything. The communication is atrocious with their cumbersome departments and extremely high turnover of team members it's impossible to get anywhere with them!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

As a church, we were a client for over 10 years. Needless to say, they provided excellent service or we would not have been with them that long. During February of this year, there was a problem discovered with our pastor's W2. After contacting our representative about the problem (which was their fault), it took well over six months to have the entire situation resolved. Instead of simply correcting the problem, matters were made considerably worse. A number of employees from all levels of the company were involved in this fiasco.

There were months that no one at all was working on the problems. Very unprofessional, awful customer service, no integrity or accountability, etc. This is a very lengthy issue but to summarize, if you are considering this company, they are fine unless there are problems. Ten plus years of good service was totally erased when it took about seven months to resolve a large number of issues caused by their ignorance. It would take pages and pages to detail all of the problems PayChex caused for our church and our pastor.

Our pastor was extremely delayed in filing his taxes, our state taxes were messed up (to the point of receiving notices, which has never occurred before), and PayChex kept taking money out of our bank account multiple times, even after we were no longer using them for payroll. I had to mention legal action and contact the president & CEO before certain actions were taken but I really wasn't impressed with upper management either. We as a church HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT using PayChex for any services, especially if you are a religious entity or church. We discovered after changing companies that PayChex had not handled our pastor's taxes correctly for the entire time we used them. And let me say this again, we had used their services for over ten years and the treatment we received was horrific.

Paychex response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're deeply disappointed to hear about the challenges you experienced during your time with us. We hold our team to the highest standards and regret that we didn’t meet those expectations. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Getting this detail will allow us to review further and investigate.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

If I could give this company a negative number I would. Probably one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. From lies from the sales team to non-existent customer service, they are definitely a company that I would never recommend.

Paychex response

Hello, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please email us at reviews@paychex.com with more information? We'll need your full name, phone number, and business/employer name. Getting this detail will allow us to further review and investigate.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

Left my company and wanted to roll over my Paychex 401K into new employer retirement services 403B plan. I filled out the Paychex paperwork that was listed as **** (new investment program) For Benefit of (me) and remainder of small ROTH account paid directly to me. All on-line and submitted. Received several follow up emails about status, and one that confirmed my checks were cut and mailed. I received another email within 1 hour stating something was wrong, and no checks were cut. When I tried to call, Paychex phone system will not allow you to talk to anyone in person because I had left the company and only way to communicate was through their “chat feature” on their website.

I requested a supervisor through the chat feature, and they said one would be “monitoring” our chat, but this was the only way to proceed. It appears now that their website was wrong, and they cannot make two different distributions that way and I now must fill out another form and send it back in via regular mail. I DO RECOMMEND anyone use Paychex and consider this a reason to now NOT take a position with a company that does use them.

Paychex response

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

The church I work as an administrator for used Paychex for 9 years to run its payroll. We realized that as a small employer we would cut our payroll costs in half by using a small local company that provided better customer service. Paychex gave us a discount but I had to call every 3 months or so to ask them to keep giving it to us. When I cancelled I emailed my support specialist and told her to close the account. She did not and I kept getting reminders to submit payroll over the next two months. I continued to email and she responded that she was sorry it was taking so long and would look into it.

After two months I received an email saying that Paychex was going to charge me $58 for not using the service for the past 2 months. I immediately called and the customer service agent looked into it and said he saw record that I had asked to cancel two months earlier but that my payroll specialist had done nothing to cancel the account. He said he would try to cancel the upcoming payment. However it went thru 2 days later. Now I cannot get anyone on the phone so I am contacting my bank to see if I can block them taking anymore money from the church. Really disappointing and I would suggest looking for a cheaper local option to do payroll.

Paychex response

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

After decades in business management I have never experienced this level of ineptitude. The final product wasn't even close to what was given to us in our sales pitch. Customer service was non existent. I'm speechless that a company as large as this operates in this manner.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

We have been using Oasis/Paychex for Payroll HR and benefit services for a 1 and a half. It is impossible to do anything with this company. The HR person James L. does not do anything right and we have to constantly follow up and asking him to change things for us. Our issues are not resolved and more and more issues are created. We spoke to his supervisor Charles and complained about James then asked together a different rep but that was not done and we are stuck with James who can not get anything right. We called Customer Service and tried to get help but we just get passed on to a different person or they hang up the phone. Than happened a few times and every customer service rep will tell you a different solution and at the end they will say that we need to speak with James. It is a never ending nightmare. DO NOT GO with Paychex. However they do charge you and do take your fees but nothing will ever get resolved.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

After 2 years of being a customer of Paychex they are not willing to correct tax returns that they filed for us without charging us a fee. They did give us a second option that asks that we pay additional money to them so that they will calculate, amend and file the corrected returns. I pointed out to them that the paychex website states that Paychex will "calculate, file, and pay accurately and effortlessly". I also found two more places on your website that state the same thing and more. In one spot on the website it states: "Optional Services at No Additional Charge-Tax Credit Services Get Help Finding and applying for tax credits for which your business may qualify to maximize your tax savings".

We have been paying for these services for the past 2 years. Paychex has never reached out to us about the ERTC (Tax Credit) and instead filed the returns without calculating the tax credit. This is now something that we have found and contacted Paychex for help in getting the tax credits that we qualify for. Paychex is now refusing to calculate and file our corrected tax returns so that we can get the credits; unless we pay a fee to file or the second option we pay even more money for them to do the same service your website says are included at "No Additional Charge". Paychex has been calculating and filing our payroll tax returns for the past 2 years. We only asked that they correct the returns that they filed so that we can get the tax credits we paid them to find for us. (Granted Paychex did not help us find these.)

Paychex Company Information