2. Business Services
  3. PEO Services

4.5/5 (164 ratings)

About Insperity

Insperity specializes in full-service human resources solutions for businesses that have between five and 5,000 employees. Individual solutions are also available, and companies can get help with recruiting, insurance, retirement accounts, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, timecards, scheduling, performance reviews, expense reporting and general HR consulting. Insperity serves more than 100,000 businesses across the nation.

Pros

• Helps outsource HR responsibilities
  • Improves insurance coverage
  • Highly rated user interface

Cons

• Cost isn’t straightforward
  • Only offers UHC and regional choices

Bottom Line

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO). Business owners can sign a co-employer contract with the company to outsource HR responsibilities, including payroll, scheduling and benefits.

Top Insperity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The variety is great. Get to choose many different things from and having the right one is what any person would want… The value of everything on there is pretty good. I would rec...

Verified

I find my interaction with Insperity staff to be productive, pleasant and professional… Their systems are excellent. Insperity fills the important payroll, compliance and HR roles...

What is Insperity?

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO) that helps small and medium-size businesses with HR and admin services. If you’re a business owner, you can outsource tasks related to employee scheduling, benefits and payroll to Insperity. You’ll sign a co-employment contract and determine which tasks to assign to the PEO; from this point, both you and Insperity will be considered employers of your team. Note that Insperity doesn’t replace your HR team.

What does Insperity do?

Insperity offers a variety of HR and admin services:

• Accounting and bookkeeping
  • Expense reporting
  • Full-service HR
  • HR consulting
  • Insurance services
  • Organizational charting
  • Payroll and human capital management
  • Performance reviews
  • Recruiting services
  • Retirement 401(k)
  • Timecards and employee scheduling

Insperity works with you to create a customized package of the services you want to outsource. It can help reduce risks associated with administrative tasks, such as tax and reporting mistakes, I-9 issues and employee complaints, by providing worker’s compensation, payroll processing and HR assistance. It also offers hiring and termination services, drug testing and other management help so you can focus on different aspects of your business.

Insperity pricing

Because its service packages are customized to your needs, the Insperity website doesn’t list prices; however, it charges on a per-employee basis instead of by payroll percentage, which means your cost won’t fluctuate month to month.

Insperity claims it can help you save time and many with these practices:

• Improving hiring methods, which decreases turnover
  • Actively encouraging employees
  • Planning future strategies
  • Providing recruitment support
  • Offering performance management assistance
  • Providing strategic HR support and planning

Insperity FAQ

Who owns Insperity?
Paul Sarvadi owns Insperity. He is the chairman, CEO and co-founder of the company.
Is Insperity a PEO?
Yes, Insperity is a professional employer organization. It provides an outsourcing option for time-consuming HR tasks.
Where is Insperity available?
Insperity has over 70 locations across 28 states and in Washington, D.C.
Does Insperity offer HR solutions for small businesses?
Insperity is specifically geared toward small and medium-size businesses that need help with daunting HR tasks. It can take on payroll, benefits, employee training and other administrative responsibilities.

Is Insperity worth it?

Overall, Insperity offers small business owners a way to streamline their companies and help them grow. By outsourcing HR and admin tasks to a PEO like Insperity, you can direct your focus elsewhere within your business. Insperity doesn’t provide much pricing information, but you can get in touch with the company to see if its services are within your budget.

Insperity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Insperity?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

We've been with Insperity for four years now. We had ADP for 25 years, and I had no desire to switch, but the representative that was with ADP moved over to Insperity. We used to catch up with him once a year, and I said, “Whatever you ask or say, I'm not switching.” He said, “No, no. I just want to take you to lunch.” I said, “Okay,” then I started telling him all these stories about our company and the staff we had here. He said, “You really need this.” He explained that one thing that would be extremely helpful was Insperity would deal with employee issues that may come about. As a small company of seven, that sounded good because there are so many weird situations. He gave us a price, and I almost had a heart attack. I said, “Are you kidding me? I'm not doing this.”

Looking at it further, the bundle with the health insurance was the biggest selling point because what the owner saved alone for him and his family outweighed the cost of what Insperity was over ADP. For years of working in our company, we couldn’t offer our employees any extra benefits besides the basic. With Insperity, I'm able to offer short term and long term disability. We also got the 401(k) plan rolled out as well as good health insurance that people can pick and choose their own. It ended up being one of the best decisions we've ever made, and the first two years, I was tripping over myself ballistic over how much I love Insperity. I can't tell how much referral money I've gotten because I set up these appointments because I was so excited about it.

In the last two years though, it has declined a bit. I brought this up a number of times to them, and these salesmen, there isn't that rapport there anymore. I haven't done any type of ”selling” for them the last couple years because I don't hear from anyone, where before the guy that sold this to me was so awesome to deal with, encouraging, and very involved with us. He ended up leaving because of his own reasons. With our human resources person, Insperity switched to someone else, and I never hear from them. That's a little saddening to me. Before, I would get on the phone with someone, have very good conversations with her and have her help me navigate around what to do about employee situations. Now, I have no clue who my person is.

The payroll part is good. I've gone through some really good and some okay people, and this person seems just fine. There were some issues in the past, but for the most part, it's clean. Insperity also has a good site and it's easy to get around. The only time I have a bit of quirkiness dealing with it is trying to build a report, but maybe I just need to understand what I need to pull in and how. One of the biggest things that is awesome with Insperity is they take care of everything, talking with employees, notifying them and sending them the paperwork. That's now out of my hands, so I don't have to worry about it.

When I first got here 10 years ago and the ADP guy came, he talked me into the human resources portion of ADP. I said, “Sounds good. We'll pay the extra money for the human resources portion.” I'm a CPA, but not necessarily a payroll guru. I've done some of this in the past, but not really. A couple years went by then I found out I was not doing the W-9s correctly. I knew I had to get the information on the W-9s, but I didn't know the next step. I was pissed, thinking, “ADP sold me this, your human resourcing,” but if one doesn't know to ask the questions, they don't tell you what the answer is.

With Insperity, that's the one good thing, especially with a small company. There are things that you don't know that you don't know, unless you have someone come in, do a good overview and say, “You're missing this. You're missing this. You're doing this wrong.” The greatest thing is I have a sense of security knowing that there's less open risk to a small company, going with someone that knows what they're doing, makes sure you're doing things correctly, and gets you on the right track. The buying power of the medical benefits is also very comforting because on the last situation we were in, it was just a buying power of four. Our rates were stupid insane, and they'd be even higher now. But with Insperity, they've been able to keep that reasonable.

Insperity response

Hello Michelle, We're pleased to hear about your positive experience with Insperity as your company's PEO. Delivering top-tier customer service, products and support to help our companies thrive is what inspires us each and every day. Also, thank you for sharing your feedback specifically regarding your experience in more recent years. We strive to offer the best possible experience for our clients like you and your business, and we will share your comments with internal teams for consideration. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We use Insperity for payroll, some HR guidance and PEO service. We don't have to in-house it. The Employee Service Center, a platform that we all have access to individually, is a little clunky because they try and put too much information on the front page as opposed to parsing it out and having additional levels. I hate the way websites put everything kind of dummyfied right now. I don't really care about pie graphs. It tries to be splashy with funky information, but I really don't need it. I don't hear of a lot of people going, “Oh it's so great. I was just on the ESC recently.” No one’s jumping on there. I do find that that first jump page is hard to maneuver. That's the only place where you can go to the marketplace in case you want to go find rates on a car rental or buy movie tickets. The corporate perks page is fine. I feel like they have a tough time promoting it because it's hidden. You kind of have to look for it.

As far as the HR solutions, we tried the recruiting. It didn't work very well. We do more guidance and their compliance stuff. So, if there's new regulations for a different location for one of our salespeople who are based at their houses, benefit-wise, they will let us know. They'll send out a notice. I've not been too crazy about customer service support so far. COVID really kicked us in the teeth. Our kind of normal liaise person went on maternity leave, and I don't think she has come back. We've gotten very little information as to what's going to happen with that.

As of right now, we still have the backup person as our liaise, which I don't really like because she's based in Ohio. If she's not based locally, where we are at the business, I'm not convinced they know enough about the stuff going on here. It's kind of a personal feel about it. But there have been times where I've had to reach out to our liaise for information on COVID. They kind of gave me the runaround, “Oh, go to the resource on the website.” That's garbage because Insperity's based in Texas and she's based in Ohio. She's not helping me look at New York and understand New York. So, it leaves me feeling not as supported as I used to be.

It's an okay service for what we pay for. It's getting less okay because it keeps getting a little bit more expensive and all of it was, “Here's the general guidelines. Wash your hands, wear masks, social distancing, I get that crap." But it doesn't give me like, “What happens when we have someone that pops up positive in my office of 50 people?” There's no real guidance there because their whole shtick is, “Oh, well, we're here to help you, but you are ultimately your own company.” It’s great, but that’s kind of where we've had a couple of hiccups where we really needed true guidance. I would have loved a little bit more hand-holding, especially during COVID. I am stuck with the backup person who has never reached out to us to check in on us. My normal liaise person would have reached out at least monthly and be like, “Hey, guys. How are you guys doing? Is there’s anything you guys need from us? Blah, blah, blah.”

Insperity response

Hi Stella, We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback working with Insperity as your company's PEO. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience and outline how we can better serve you in the future. Please feel free to email us at social@insperity.com and one of our team members will follow up with you.

Original review: March 12, 2021

We wanted to offer a more complete benefits package to employees, primarily around health care. What led us to Insperity was we joined an organization that included the Insperity services as part of their package. On the portal, I find some of it very helpful. Last year when COVID hit, the fact that they came out with ways for us to get our reporting in a timely manner for the PPP reporting was great. We made the right decision with Insperity. The video training like the harassment training is very helpful to give our new employees. It's a great value add for us.

The downside to the portal is it's a little bit clunky at times. For instance, when you get a new employee, what I used to do with the previous company we used was before the person even came to work for us, I would send them a link. They would go in and get all the information into the system so that when they show up for work the first day, we already do get them onboarded pretty quickly. That doesn't happen with Insperity. There are some things that I have to fill out a form on a piece of paper and send it in to make changes. That's sort of out of date nowadays. Today, with all the digital things that are happening and people working from home, it's time to do some kind of an upgrade. We've had a few blips in the payroll area but a lot of that has to do with those forms. Instead of doing it online, we have to fill out a PDF, scan it and send it back in. But the team that's backing us up has been really good, high quality and easy to work with. My main contact is excellent.

The biggest impact for us has been that we feel much more confident now that we are doing the right things. We're not going to screw up big time on compliance issues. The PPP reporting helped us feel confident that we were putting the right numbers together for our reporting. I do and have recommended Insperity to others but at the same time, I do that judiciously. If I think somebody is going to reject the clunky portal, I don't tell them about it. I talked to somebody and they recommended BambooHR to us, which we used temporarily. It really was really nice in that it reminded us of the hiring date of employees and their birthdays. There are a lot of small little things that made our life easy. With Insperity, I have to go and check all the time and it's not as helpful to me in that sense.

Insperity response

Hi Barbara, It's wonderful to hear how working with us has provided you and your business confidence in areas such as PPP reporting during these uncertain times. We truly appreciate your feedback as a valued client of Insperity, thank you. We will share your comments regarding your experience using our portal with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

A few years back, we were struggling with trying to find affordable health insurance for our small group. We were going through a broker independently as a company all by ourselves with just a handful of employees. A couple of our folks were 50 and up and we were age banded. The cost for them was getting horrible. Somebody mentioned we should look into a PEO so I started researching what PEOs are and who the vendors are out there for that. We talked to a couple and brought in somebody from Insperity. We were very impressed with her and with what she was saying Insperity had to offer so we signed up. I've been thrilled. Our health insurance costs are great and so is the support I get for HR. We keep signing up for more and more services. We just signed up to have them manage our 401k. They do our screening and recruiting now too.

We had a couple of little stumbles in our handoff related to TimeStar. Part of it was the struggle to learn it was not as intuitive as I'd hoped when we started out. There were three months where we had extra hand-holding. Just as I was getting the hang of it, they said they were transitioning us away from the onboarding team. Suddenly, I had new people that I had to get to know in the support realm. There was something that changed with the portal. I was tearing my hair out there a couple of times going, "I don't understand."

We also made trouble for ourselves. We were paying our employees every two weeks and that meant that at year end and the beginning of a new year, sometimes the pay period crossed calendar years. Our CEO didn't like it that there were some months that had three payrolls and others that had two. He wanted his months to be equal so he wanted us to change to twice a month pay instead of every two weeks. That was terribly complex but that's not Insperity's fault.

I deal with many folks. Ashley is my HR helper. We shut down our office for a couple of months early or last spring. When we were trying to bring people back into the office during the summer, there were so many systems that we felt we needed to set up and we needed to learn about. What if people refuse to come back in? What policy should I have? Ashley held my hand through all of that and really made me feel like I was not on my own as we were trying to reinvent the wheel. She helped us develop our HR. We had a sort of a handbook but she helped us make sure it was compliant and professional. She helps us keep that updated and gives me pretty hard copies. Also, I had two challenging employees and Ashley helped me get rid of one of them and encouraged the other to find a new home without having to fire him. She really is a good security blanket.

Thea is my payroll person and I love her to death. I talk to her twice a month about some crazy things. She's so patient. Devina is helping with recruiting and that's brand new for us. Within the last month or so, we decided we would do a lot of recruiting. There was a special that said we didn't have to pay the placement fee if we signed up before a certain date in January. We threw everything in the kitchen sink that we've been thinking about filling and had Devina help us advertise it. We're making good progress on filling those spots. Isaiah is the one in the 401k department. I bugged him a year ago but we backed out and decided we weren't ready for it. But I called him up again about two months ago and said we were ready. He set that all up for us very quickly. Our employees are thrilled.

Insperity response

Hi Nancy, Thank you for taking the time to review Insperity! It's wonderful to hear how our staff has been able to support you through business challenges, alleviate the burden of your HR administrative tasks and help offer your employees affordable healthcare benefits and a 401k program. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are proud to serve you and your company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

We use a little bit of everything with Insperity. We use every aspect of HR and we do the certified payroll. I do the certified payroll personally and I'd like a little freedom to move things around. With other software, I can have a couple of names saved in my folders. They have a little more control on my end. We had a lot of trial and error last year. Things weren't working, reports weren't pulling up and information was missing. But so far, things have stayed in place.

Still, Insperity also needs to look into modern updated versions of their software. When I look online at other software we can purchase their reports look amazing. The customer who's getting my certified payroll report doesn't need to know the meat and potatoes. They just need to know how many hours someone did work and what did we pay that person. Recently, I had a gentleman who forgot to clock out for lunch and it wasn't caught. So, we had to make an adjustment on his next payroll by half an hour. I could have easily plugged in the correct numbers and made one line item then attached two pay stubs but I can't edit. Now, I have two checks, two reports and I had to put an explanation. It made more work for me.

One of our biggest customers is the federal government and the certified payroll is one of the compliance items. We don't want to be flagged, not with the federal government. So, I like to try to keep things clean and streamlined. Sometimes, I have had to make my own form because of the things that have happened. But the team members, when I do have a problem, the direct Insperity team is amazing. They make it an urgent matter. We have to patient though because sometimes the problem is something none of us can figure out and the software team makes us sit and wait which is a bummer.

Some of our vendors are little mom-and-pops and I've had to teach them certified payroll. So, I know certified payroll is a good selling point for those little guys that want to get into federal contracts and are aa intimidated by that. Sometimes, people call me asking how I do certain things. I ask if they're ready and tell them “Okay, you ready? I'm gonna email you a bunch of stuff. Don't get overwhelmed.” Other than that, just because something needs a little tweaking doesn't mean something's bad. Our CEO has referred Insperity to other people she's affiliated with who also have companies.

Insperity response

Hi Toni, Thank you for choosing Insperity! We appreciate you sharing your feedback about what's worked well for your business and the opportunities you've pointed out for our consideration. We will share your comments with our internal teams. Please feel free to email us at social@insperity.com with any additional insights.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

We're a member org so, a couple of other member organizations had been using Insperity and liked the service. They were also competitively priced when it came to the all-encompassing package for our benefits. We had Kaiser as our primary plan and they were able to offer a robust Kaiser plan at a reduced cost to us when we factor in all the administration costs. So, they beat the TriNet, ADP, and any others that we looked at on price and good word of mouth. Their website is also pretty easy to navigate and I haven't had any issues.

Insperity response

Hello Jose! Thank you for taking the time to review Insperity. We're happy to hear you've had a very positive experience with our products and services, notably our health insurance offerings. To serve you and your team as you grow as a business makes us proud. Thank you for choosing us as your PEO!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We're a small company, so Insperity makes it a lot easier for us. Navigating the site is easy, except when they change it, and I have to relearn, which is aggravating if you're trying to get something done in a timely manner. Every now and then, they'll do something and it changes a report but it's not that often. On Insperity’s website, they changed. It’s been a couple of years ago. I’m on the management side and sometimes, when I'm looking to do certain things, like hire an employee, the forms used to be a little bit clearer. I could see it from that main page. Now, I have to hunt a little bit harder. They change the name of something, like that little bill for me and I have to think about it and I'm thinking if that’s what they mean. I feel like I'm fishing. It messes me up because I'm so accustomed to doing it the one way. There's an advantage on their end somewhere but I don't see it.

For the most part, the reps have been wonderful. Every now and then something will happen and they couldn’t help me. But normally, my rep that I'm involved with on a weekly basis can handle anything. There was one incident that I got a little frustrated with them because they weren't getting back to me but we got it resolved.

Insperity response

Hi Cindy, Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy to hear your overall experience with Insperity has enabled you to run your business more efficiently. Your thoughts and feedback have been shared with our internal departments for their information and review. The ever-changing climate of business today allows for the opportunity to strengthen our products and services and we appreciate your thoughts. If we can help you find a specific item now, please email social@insperity.com with your contact information, and one of our service professionals will reach out to you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have all the HR and Payroll stuff that Insperity offers in the main package. I’m very happy with the customer service and I enjoy working with all of our contacts in different areas. They’re very responsive and help with any issues that come up. So, it's all been a very good relationship so far. Insperity has made us more efficient overall.

Insperity response

Hi Kristin, We are so happy to hear about your experience working with our customer service team. It is our goal to provide top-tier customer service that helps lighten the burden of HR administrative responsibilities for you. We're proud to serve you as our valued client and look forward to more successful years together!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I reached out to use Insperity at a different location, and we've been with them for four years. I used them before, and I was comfortable with them and suggested it to the owners. We have their premier service.

Hi Charlisa,

It is great to hear that working with Insperity has been comfortable and beneficial for you across multiple companies throughout your career. Our goal is to help businesses succeed by providing top-tier service and support. We truly appreciate your feedback as a valued client. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Our rep was not responsive, it was like pulling teeth to get anything set up and she kept blaming "corporate". She would not get back to me and get us set up for our HSA contribution and we ended up with something we did not want because she completely dropped the ball. I pointed out to Insperity I made the changes within our window of time but their employee did not follow through (even though she said she did), but they didn't seem to care that it was their company's fault and would not let us make the changes without renewing early and incurring fees. It was THEIR rule, not a law that wouldn't let us changed our contributions and yet they didn't want to make an exception. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. If you want corporate run around, then this is for you.

Hi Kali,

We’re very sorry to hear about your experience with making the contribution change. After researching this further, we have engaged with leadership to get the request rectified to your desired state. Insperity values you as a client, and we appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you. In the meantime, should you have any questions, please contact us at social@insperity.com, and someone from our service organization will follow up with you.

Insperity Company Information