4.6/5 (127 ratings)

About Insperity

Insperity specializes in full-service human resources solutions for businesses that have between five and 5,000 employees. Individual solutions are also available, and companies can get help with recruiting, insurance, retirement accounts, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, timecards, scheduling, performance reviews, expense reporting and general HR consulting. Insperity serves more than 100,000 businesses across the nation.

Pros

• Helps outsource HR responsibilities
  • Improves insurance coverage
  • Highly rated user interface

Cons

• Cost isn’t straightforward
  • Only offers UHC and regional choices

Bottom Line

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO). Business owners can sign a co-employer contract with the company to outsource HR responsibilities, including payroll, scheduling and benefits.

Top Insperity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The variety is great. Get to choose many different things from and having the right one is what any person would want… The value of everything on there is pretty good. I would rec...

Verified

I find my interaction with Insperity staff to be productive, pleasant and professional… Their systems are excellent. Insperity fills the important payroll, compliance and HR roles...

What is Insperity?

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO) that helps small and medium-size businesses with HR and admin services. If you’re a business owner, you can outsource tasks related to employee scheduling, benefits and payroll to Insperity. You’ll sign a co-employment contract and determine which tasks to assign to the PEO; from this point, both you and Insperity will be considered employers of your team. Note that Insperity doesn’t replace your HR team.

What does Insperity do?

Insperity offers a variety of HR and admin services:

• Accounting and bookkeeping
  • Expense reporting
  • Full-service HR
  • HR consulting
  • Insurance services
  • Organizational charting
  • Payroll and human capital management
  • Performance reviews
  • Recruiting services
  • Retirement 401(k)
  • Timecards and employee scheduling

Insperity works with you to create a customized package of the services you want to outsource. It can help reduce risks associated with administrative tasks, such as tax and reporting mistakes, I-9 issues and employee complaints, by providing worker’s compensation, payroll processing and HR assistance. It also offers hiring and termination services, drug testing and other management help so you can focus on different aspects of your business.

Insperity pricing

Because its service packages are customized to your needs, the Insperity website doesn’t list prices; however, it charges on a per-employee basis instead of by payroll percentage, which means your cost won’t fluctuate month to month.

Insperity claims it can help you save time and many with these practices:

• Improving hiring methods, which decreases turnover
  • Actively encouraging employees
  • Planning future strategies
  • Providing recruitment support
  • Offering performance management assistance
  • Providing strategic HR support and planning

Insperity FAQ

Who owns Insperity?
Paul Sarvadi owns Insperity. He is the chairman, CEO and co-founder of the company.
Is Insperity a PEO?
Yes, Insperity is a professional employer organization. It provides an outsourcing option for time-consuming HR tasks.
Where is Insperity available?
Insperity has over 70 locations across 28 states and in Washington, D.C.
Does Insperity offer HR solutions for small businesses?
Insperity is specifically geared toward small and medium-size businesses that need help with daunting HR tasks. It can take on payroll, benefits, employee training and other administrative responsibilities.

Is Insperity worth it?

Overall, Insperity offers small business owners a way to streamline their companies and help them grow. By outsourcing HR and admin tasks to a PEO like Insperity, you can direct your focus elsewhere within your business. Insperity doesn’t provide much pricing information, but you can get in touch with the company to see if its services are within your budget.

Insperity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Insperity?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Our services with Insperity are payroll and benefits. We started with them in 2015 when it was just my husband, myself, and a programmer. We needed to get benefits, and we wanted to be with either United Healthcare or Blue Cross Blue Shield. When we joined, it was more for the healthcare than the payroll benefits. We had such a small workforce and that was a no-brainer for doing payroll. However, one of the things that I really appreciate is the reporting. They stay honest and say, “This needs to happen, and that needs to happen,” and that's keeping us out of trouble.

Apparently, you have to prove you're a small business and not a large employer. There are things like that we may not have known and we might have put ourselves at risk. Insperity not only keeps us in the know, but also follows up to keep us out of trouble when we don't respond the first time. With us, it's never because we don't care. It's because we're so busy. Unless somebody stops and thumps us on the side of the head, we just keep going forward with what we're doing on a daily basis. There were some times when we felt like we were hanging out there, but it was several years ago and we're not struggling with any issues right now around Insperity.

They've been very helpful to us, especially during COVID. We had to lay off some of our staff and that was very painful. They helped us try to figure out what we needed to do connected with that and I appreciated that. Also, I try to be a good client, but sometimes I need reminders. I love how they give the benefit of the doubt and help us do whatever we need to do from wherever we happen to be. If I'm driving and I need help, the rep Tammy has been very helpful to send me something so that I don't have to look something up. I've been pleased with their team, and I love, specifically, Tammy. We also had an HR rep, Beth, at one time, but she got promoted and doesn't assist us anymore.

Overall, Insperity is good about telling us what they need from us and when they need it by. I have gotten a phone call before from Tammy because I thought I submitted payroll when I didn't, or I might have scheduled the wire transfer and forgot to approve my payroll. I don't do that often because I truly try to stay on top of it right when I get my payroll notice. Getting that reminder is very important to me because I'm busy and I know other people are too. So they need those types of conveniences. We have not gotten any deeper into any kind of additional services because we have such a small workforce now that we're just trying to keep the business afloat. Things are looking up big time, but we're still in that phase where it hasn't really recovered fully.

Insperity response

Hello Bonnie, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful comments. It is our pleasure to offer our clients the highest possible level of service, and we are proud to serve you and your business. We are also glad to hear that our products have been easy to navigate and helpful for reporting. We look forward to serving you and watching your business continue to thrive!

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Insperity had been running for about nine months when I came in the door. I came into a situation where the individual who was the primary liaison with Insperity was gone. Most of the processes and procedures were being picked up by others who didn't really know how to interact with Insperity. That was tough. I finally got ahold of some people that I can work with. Allison, who's on the Eastern Business Team 3, has been great. But she's out on maternity leave right now. My primary payroll person, Will, has been great too and he does everything he can to help. I'm really pleased with that.

I had to make a call this past week before processing payroll to make sure how things are working and they stepped me right through it in 10 minutes. Now I know how to do some other things. The system's got a lot to it and I need to learn it better. I've been trying to use the training portal and get staff assigned to different projects but I have trouble navigating in there. It doesn't seem as intuitive to me as it could.

We’re a very small organization and I’m the one who does the payroll because I don't really have anybody else that I want to push the payroll out to. I try to take care of the HR stuff too. I've really started leaning on the Insperity HR side of things and finding out there's more and more available to us there. That’s been really nice. The one thing I get confused with is how the cost of insurance rolls up and how you get that projected into your budgets when you go to do your renewal each year. That's not very transparent.

On the whole, Insperity is pricey but their services are very good. The more I have to use them, the more I can understand some of the pricing. We’re paying 200 bucks per person per month for payroll. I'm very happy with Insperity. The cool thing about it is it is a really inclusive service. I would recommend Insperity to any of my business contacts with the caveat that you're buying a luxury vehicle. You got to know that going in and have somebody teach you how to take advantage of it. I learned the hard way this year about how much help the HR side would take. I should have gone to them much earlier in the process when I was dealing with the issue.

Insperity response

Hi John, We're happy to hear that working with Insperity has been beneficial for you and your company! Our team believes in our mission of helping businesses succeed so communities prosper, and we're proud of their commitment to delivering top-tier service and support. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

We've been with Insperity for four years now. We had ADP for 25 years, and I had no desire to switch, but the representative that was with ADP moved over to Insperity. We used to catch up with him once a year, and I said, “Whatever you ask or say, I'm not switching.” He said, “No, no. I just want to take you to lunch.” I said, “Okay,” then I started telling him all these stories about our company and the staff we had here. He said, “You really need this.” He explained that one thing that would be extremely helpful was Insperity would deal with employee issues that may come about. As a small company of seven, that sounded good because there are so many weird situations. He gave us a price, and I almost had a heart attack. I said, “Are you kidding me? I'm not doing this.”

Looking at it further, the bundle with the health insurance was the biggest selling point because what the owner saved alone for him and his family outweighed the cost of what Insperity was over ADP. For years of working in our company, we couldn’t offer our employees any extra benefits besides the basic. With Insperity, I'm able to offer short term and long term disability. We also got the 401(k) plan rolled out as well as good health insurance that people can pick and choose their own. It ended up being one of the best decisions we've ever made, and the first two years, I was tripping over myself ballistic over how much I love Insperity. I can't tell how much referral money I've gotten because I set up these appointments because I was so excited about it.

In the last two years though, it has declined a bit. I brought this up a number of times to them, and these salesmen, there isn't that rapport there anymore. I haven't done any type of ”selling” for them the last couple years because I don't hear from anyone, where before the guy that sold this to me was so awesome to deal with, encouraging, and very involved with us. He ended up leaving because of his own reasons. With our human resources person, Insperity switched to someone else, and I never hear from them. That's a little saddening to me. Before, I would get on the phone with someone, have very good conversations with her and have her help me navigate around what to do about employee situations. Now, I have no clue who my person is.

The payroll part is good. I've gone through some really good and some okay people, and this person seems just fine. There were some issues in the past, but for the most part, it's clean. Insperity also has a good site and it's easy to get around. The only time I have a bit of quirkiness dealing with it is trying to build a report, but maybe I just need to understand what I need to pull in and how. One of the biggest things that is awesome with Insperity is they take care of everything, talking with employees, notifying them and sending them the paperwork. That's now out of my hands, so I don't have to worry about it.

When I first got here 10 years ago and the ADP guy came, he talked me into the human resources portion of ADP. I said, “Sounds good. We'll pay the extra money for the human resources portion.” I'm a CPA, but not necessarily a payroll guru. I've done some of this in the past, but not really. A couple years went by then I found out I was not doing the W-9s correctly. I knew I had to get the information on the W-9s, but I didn't know the next step. I was pissed, thinking, “ADP sold me this, your human resourcing,” but if one doesn't know to ask the questions, they don't tell you what the answer is.

With Insperity, that's the one good thing, especially with a small company. There are things that you don't know that you don't know, unless you have someone come in, do a good overview and say, “You're missing this. You're missing this. You're doing this wrong.” The greatest thing is I have a sense of security knowing that there's less open risk to a small company, going with someone that knows what they're doing, makes sure you're doing things correctly, and gets you on the right track. The buying power of the medical benefits is also very comforting because on the last situation we were in, it was just a buying power of four. Our rates were stupid insane, and they'd be even higher now. But with Insperity, they've been able to keep that reasonable.

Insperity response

Hello Michelle, We're pleased to hear about your positive experience with Insperity as your company's PEO. Delivering top-tier customer service, products and support to help our companies thrive is what inspires us each and every day. Also, thank you for sharing your feedback specifically regarding your experience in more recent years. We strive to offer the best possible experience for our clients like you and your business, and we will share your comments with internal teams for consideration. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The sales as well as the signup process were both great. The portal is not gonna win any awards but it’s alright. We were in our open enrollment period and a couple of people didn't get their stuff together in time to make changes that they wanted and now they can't make changes. So they're feeling salty about it and part of that is on me because as the boss, I should be saying every day that they got to get those changes in. Also, every time you open the portal, it should say that it’s gonna close on September the 20th. So if you want it, you need to do it now.

We use Insperity’s services for benefits, payroll, and our other liability as well, like workers' comp and the customer support has been very good. It needs to be more personal though. I'm a little bit unusual of a client for Insperity. It’s designed for businesses that are a little bigger than mine so on my end, Insperity is speaking to the person who's the CEO/hiring manager/benefits coordinator/HR person. They're operating under this assumption that you have more time than you do and you know a lot of jargon that you don't know.

I need a point person who I call when I need help and my person is a nice man, but he’s not that for me. I don't have a rep who I just call so I end up calling my salesperson, which is preposterous. I've been onboarded for two years and it’s inappropriate for her to talk to me about what's going on. But she's who I always end up talking to because I don't know who to talk to. When you have a fancy credit card, there's a number that you can call, and they ask what's going on. Or if you have a lot of frequent flyer miles, same thing. I have that person in a lot of my main vendors. I have somebody who's dedicated to making sure that I'm getting the very best that I can get from that company and they do that because it helps them grow their business. If I'm feeling good about this vendor, I'm gonna transfer as much of my business to that vendor as I can.

Insperity might already be maximized on what they can sell my business so maybe they don't need that ongoing thing. But that's the thing that's missing in Insperity. If I was a larger company, my HR person and my bookkeeper would know who to call but I don't have a bookkeeper nor an HR person because there are only eight people here. So those jobs fall upon me.

Insperity response

Hi Adam, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Insperity. We appreciate your feedback regarding your being happy with our services and support, but mentioning that we can improve in making it more personal. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration. If you have additional feedback to share with us, please feel free to contact us at social@insperity.com.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I love Insperity. They’ve been awesome. Joe was my sales guy who got me on. If I ever need anything like high-high level, I can go to Joe. But usually, my issues are below Joe. I was having a pretty serious employee issue, and Insperity’s human resources person guided me through step by step how to handle it, what to do and what I was legally liable for. He was incredibly helpful. His name is Cory and I spoke to him countless times. I usually just use the website for payroll but if I have to pull up a report, I can search through. Usually, I call Grace who is my payroll specialist and I just say, “Grace, how do I find this report?” She gets back to me immediately. Payroll is also awesome. They respond within 30 minutes every time I need something. There's a lot on the website. If I need a report for someone's PTO, paid time-off, and where they are, sometimes it's just easier to email Grace. She gets it for me.

I'm a very small company, and I'm a single person. I'm the owner's wife, and I work for my husband just to help his company out. I have no experience in human resources, but that's the role I play in our little company. So I rely heavily on Cory to guide me through performance reviews, how to handle employees’ behavior and how to conduct myself. He taught me everything.

Insperity is expensive. I have been recruited by ADP many times, and I've given them my numbers. They want my business desperately. They can never come up with the package that Insperity can give me, and so I stay with Insperity. I cannot speak highly enough about Insperity, and I've told many of my friends who own small companies about Insperity. What drove us to get Insperity was to get health insurance for our company and getting our PPP reports. Insperity was on top of it. Any report I needed from my bank to file for my PPP forgiveness, they had it all labeled for me and organized. That team must have been working 24/7 to get that PPP information ready to go for the government. That was incredible.

Insperity response

Hi Marcia, Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your experience working with us. We understand the burden of responsibilities small business owners carry, and we are happy to deliver top-tier services and support to help you and your husband focus on what's important for success and growth. Thank you for referring us to your friends and for being a valued client of Insperity!

Original review: April 16, 2022

It took us a little bit to get on board with Insperity. We had a few hurdles getting everything integrated and figuring out how everything worked, but that only was a couple of months. We've been with them for more than a year now and it does everything we want it to do. It consolidates all of our benefits and all of our HR into one platform with payroll. Before, I would make a payment to the medical, dental, and 401(k) and do those individually on each payroll. Now, it's all looped in. It has made my job a lot easier and also saved us from needing to hire another employee, which justified the cost because it's a lot more expensive than the part and parcel way we were doing it before. There are a couple of small things that they can't do. Like we can't process our direct reimbursables through payroll. It is kind of irritating to have to give people checks, but it's very minor things like that compared to the overall product.

Also, it's nice having real people there. Anytime I need something with payroll, the staff gets back to me super quick. Brenda, our sales rep, is still helpful if ever I'm totally confused as to whom I'm supposed to ask, even though she's in sales. She checks in every once in a while and invites us to different things. She's been awesome.

Insperity response

Hi Gideon, It's wonderful to hear about your positive experience working with Insperity! Making it easier for you to focus on growing your business by helping to manage your HR administrative responsibilities is our pleasure, and why we are passionate about what we do. We appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding reimbursables. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration. Thank you for choosing us as your company's PEO!

Original review: April 14, 2022

We're a team of five that is using the payroll through them. They've got the online stuff that's available to us on there. They're very easy to use, even as a small business. We've had no problems getting ahold of our representatives that we have to contact.

Insperity response

Hi Scott, We are proud to support your small business and are happy to hear about your satisfaction with our payroll services and customer support! We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience working with us. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your PEO!

Original review: April 3, 2022

We've been using Insperity since February of 2019 and we use their payroll service. We also use their background check service and their recruiting services to help us hire. They've been very good about customer service. We have a payroll representative. When we were doing background checks, we work with another person. But everyone has been very responsive in getting back to us. Insperity made it a little bit easier to track things like paid time off. People are able to look up their own things fairly easily. So that's good. They can also call themselves when they have a question.

Insperity response

Hi Catherine, Thank you for sharing your positive experience working with us! We're happy to hear you've felt supported by our committed representatives and that we've been able to relieve some of the burdens of payroll and background checks for your business. It's our pleasure to serve our valued clients like you!

Original review: April 2, 2022

We have an external Aflac plan and there are pre-tax and post-tax deductions for Aflac plans. When we moved over to Insperity, they said that they could not do the pre-tax deductions for us so that caused our employees to have to pay a little bit more because those are pre-tax deductions and they're not able to take the tax advantage on those. Also, some of the reporting is a little bit different in terms of being able to pull reports once employees are terminated. Trying to gather some information for terminated employees is a little bit more difficult. But in general, the platform is much easier to use. The customer service, by far, is continuing to be a selling point with me. It has made certain aspects of my job a little bit easier. I ask the staff a question and I get immediate responses. If they don't know, they get me in contact with the right person. So, the customer service has been phenomenal by far.

In terms of new employees or onboarding, it would be great that once we hire somebody, there was an application that they could complete that becomes part of the whole onboarding packet that isn't an additional cost. Because the only way to do an application now is to pay for that. It’s part of the whole onboarding recruiting piece and we're not using them for recruiting because we don't do massive hires. If we were doing a lot of applications or even recruiting or jobs on a regular basis, it might make more sense. But we're not so, it's hard for me to justify the cost of paying for the recruiting component of the portal when we don't use it that often. We still would like to have our employees complete an application but there's no way to get to the application part of the Insperity portal without having the recruiting part.

Still, the customer service has been great. The team has been able to get me those applications when I've had people go that route. The interesting part is I've had the ability to send out a link for the application but there's no way for me to access it on my end. So, the Insperity team had been great about getting me access to the applications.

Insperity response

Hi Nigelle, Hearing how the HR administrative services and support we provide benefits business owners like you is music to our ears! We're happy to serve you and your people, and we thank you for sharing your positive experience working with us. We understand and appreciate your feedback regarding deductions and reporting options. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: April 1, 2022

The sales process with Insperity was very good. Reggie, the rep, did a great job. I was impressed with his professionalism, speed, understanding what I was looking for and not overselling. The customer support with Insperity was above average. They continue to be extremely responsive so that's a plus. The only thing that I would appreciate is if I could have more options on the benefit provider, mainly medical. They have a number of different levels on medical and that's fine. However, I'd like additional options beyond UnitedHealthcare.

When we started with Insperity, we used them for role descriptions and policy manuals. Right now, we're in the process of trying to fill a vacancy. So, they're helping me with salary surveys and recruiting strategies. The services they provide has filled the gap. Before, we had a critical mass of people or we would have a dedicated HR professional. So, I get the benefit of all their expertise without having a full time HR manager, which is probably not a good thing, but we'll get there.

Insperity response

Hi Andre, Thank you for taking the time to review us! It makes us proud to hear about your positive experience with our sales team from the beginning. It is truly our pleasure to provide top-tier payroll and HR administrative support to you and your business. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Insperity Company Information