2. Business Services
  3. PEO Services

4.6/5 (143 ratings)

About Insperity

Insperity specializes in full-service human resources solutions for businesses that have between five and 5,000 employees. Individual solutions are also available, and companies can get help with recruiting, insurance, retirement accounts, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, timecards, scheduling, performance reviews, expense reporting and general HR consulting. Insperity serves more than 100,000 businesses across the nation.

Pros

• Helps outsource HR responsibilities
  • Improves insurance coverage
  • Highly rated user interface

Cons

• Cost isn’t straightforward
  • Only offers UHC and regional choices

Bottom Line

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO). Business owners can sign a co-employer contract with the company to outsource HR responsibilities, including payroll, scheduling and benefits.

Top Insperity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The variety is great. Get to choose many different things from and having the right one is what any person would want… The value of everything on there is pretty good. I would rec...

Verified

I find my interaction with Insperity staff to be productive, pleasant and professional… Their systems are excellent. Insperity fills the important payroll, compliance and HR roles...

What is Insperity?

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO) that helps small and medium-size businesses with HR and admin services. If you’re a business owner, you can outsource tasks related to employee scheduling, benefits and payroll to Insperity. You’ll sign a co-employment contract and determine which tasks to assign to the PEO; from this point, both you and Insperity will be considered employers of your team. Note that Insperity doesn’t replace your HR team.

What does Insperity do?

Insperity offers a variety of HR and admin services:

• Accounting and bookkeeping
  • Expense reporting
  • Full-service HR
  • HR consulting
  • Insurance services
  • Organizational charting
  • Payroll and human capital management
  • Performance reviews
  • Recruiting services
  • Retirement 401(k)
  • Timecards and employee scheduling

Insperity works with you to create a customized package of the services you want to outsource. It can help reduce risks associated with administrative tasks, such as tax and reporting mistakes, I-9 issues and employee complaints, by providing worker’s compensation, payroll processing and HR assistance. It also offers hiring and termination services, drug testing and other management help so you can focus on different aspects of your business.

Insperity pricing

Because its service packages are customized to your needs, the Insperity website doesn’t list prices; however, it charges on a per-employee basis instead of by payroll percentage, which means your cost won’t fluctuate month to month.

Insperity claims it can help you save time and many with these practices:

• Improving hiring methods, which decreases turnover
  • Actively encouraging employees
  • Planning future strategies
  • Providing recruitment support
  • Offering performance management assistance
  • Providing strategic HR support and planning

Insperity FAQ

Who owns Insperity?
Paul Sarvadi owns Insperity. He is the chairman, CEO and co-founder of the company.
Is Insperity a PEO?
Yes, Insperity is a professional employer organization. It provides an outsourcing option for time-consuming HR tasks.
Where is Insperity available?
Insperity has over 70 locations across 28 states and in Washington, D.C.
Does Insperity offer HR solutions for small businesses?
Insperity is specifically geared toward small and medium-size businesses that need help with daunting HR tasks. It can take on payroll, benefits, employee training and other administrative responsibilities.

Is Insperity worth it?

Overall, Insperity offers small business owners a way to streamline their companies and help them grow. By outsourcing HR and admin tasks to a PEO like Insperity, you can direct your focus elsewhere within your business. Insperity doesn’t provide much pricing information, but you can get in touch with the company to see if its services are within your budget.

Insperity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Insperity?

Original review: June 22, 2021

I love Insperity. They’ve been awesome. Joe was my sales guy who got me on. If I ever need anything like high-high level, I can go to Joe. But usually, my issues are below Joe. I was having a pretty serious employee issue, and Insperity’s human resources person guided me through step by step how to handle it, what to do and what I was legally liable for. He was incredibly helpful. His name is Cory and I spoke to him countless times. I usually just use the website for payroll but if I have to pull up a report, I can search through. Usually, I call Grace who is my payroll specialist and I just say, “Grace, how do I find this report?” She gets back to me immediately. Payroll is also awesome. They respond within 30 minutes every time I need something. There's a lot on the website. If I need a report for someone's PTO, paid time-off, and where they are, sometimes it's just easier to email Grace. She gets it for me.

I'm a very small company, and I'm a single person. I'm the owner's wife, and I work for my husband just to help his company out. I have no experience in human resources, but that's the role I play in our little company. So I rely heavily on Cory to guide me through performance reviews, how to handle employees’ behavior and how to conduct myself. He taught me everything.

Insperity is expensive. I have been recruited by ADP many times, and I've given them my numbers. They want my business desperately. They can never come up with the package that Insperity can give me, and so I stay with Insperity. I cannot speak highly enough about Insperity, and I've told many of my friends who own small companies about Insperity. What drove us to get Insperity was to get health insurance for our company and getting our PPP reports. Insperity was on top of it. Any report I needed from my bank to file for my PPP forgiveness, they had it all labeled for me and organized. That team must have been working 24/7 to get that PPP information ready to go for the government. That was incredible.

Insperity response

Hi Marcia, Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your experience working with us. We understand the burden of responsibilities small business owners carry, and we are happy to deliver top-tier services and support to help you and your husband focus on what's important for success and growth. Thank you for referring us to your friends and for being a valued client of Insperity!

Get buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We use Insperity for payroll, some HR guidance and PEO service. We don't have to in-house it. The Employee Service Center, a platform that we all have access to individually, is a little clunky because they try and put too much information on the front page as opposed to parsing it out and having additional levels. I hate the way websites put everything kind of dummyfied right now. I don't really care about pie graphs. It tries to be splashy with funky information, but I really don't need it. I don't hear of a lot of people going, “Oh it's so great. I was just on the ESC recently.” No one’s jumping on there. I do find that that first jump page is hard to maneuver. That's the only place where you can go to the marketplace in case you want to go find rates on a car rental or buy movie tickets. The corporate perks page is fine. I feel like they have a tough time promoting it because it's hidden. You kind of have to look for it.

As far as the HR solutions, we tried the recruiting. It didn't work very well. We do more guidance and their compliance stuff. So, if there's new regulations for a different location for one of our salespeople who are based at their houses, benefit-wise, they will let us know. They'll send out a notice. I've not been too crazy about customer service support so far. COVID really kicked us in the teeth. Our kind of normal liaise person went on maternity leave, and I don't think she has come back. We've gotten very little information as to what's going to happen with that.

As of right now, we still have the backup person as our liaise, which I don't really like because she's based in Ohio. If she's not based locally, where we are at the business, I'm not convinced they know enough about the stuff going on here. It's kind of a personal feel about it. But there have been times where I've had to reach out to our liaise for information on COVID. They kind of gave me the runaround, “Oh, go to the resource on the website.” That's garbage because Insperity's based in Texas and she's based in Ohio. She's not helping me look at New York and understand New York. So, it leaves me feeling not as supported as I used to be.

It's an okay service for what we pay for. It's getting less okay because it keeps getting a little bit more expensive and all of it was, “Here's the general guidelines. Wash your hands, wear masks, social distancing, I get that crap." But it doesn't give me like, “What happens when we have someone that pops up positive in my office of 50 people?” There's no real guidance there because their whole shtick is, “Oh, well, we're here to help you, but you are ultimately your own company.” It’s great, but that’s kind of where we've had a couple of hiccups where we really needed true guidance. I would have loved a little bit more hand-holding, especially during COVID. I am stuck with the backup person who has never reached out to us to check in on us. My normal liaise person would have reached out at least monthly and be like, “Hey, guys. How are you guys doing? Is there’s anything you guys need from us? Blah, blah, blah.”

Insperity response

Hi Stella, We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback working with Insperity as your company's PEO. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience and outline how we can better serve you in the future. Please feel free to email us at social@insperity.com and one of our team members will follow up with you.

Original review: March 12, 2021

We wanted to offer a more complete benefits package to employees, primarily around health care. What led us to Insperity was we joined an organization that included the Insperity services as part of their package. On the portal, I find some of it very helpful. Last year when COVID hit, the fact that they came out with ways for us to get our reporting in a timely manner for the PPP reporting was great. We made the right decision with Insperity. The video training like the harassment training is very helpful to give our new employees. It's a great value add for us.

The downside to the portal is it's a little bit clunky at times. For instance, when you get a new employee, what I used to do with the previous company we used was before the person even came to work for us, I would send them a link. They would go in and get all the information into the system so that when they show up for work the first day, we already do get them onboarded pretty quickly. That doesn't happen with Insperity. There are some things that I have to fill out a form on a piece of paper and send it in to make changes. That's sort of out of date nowadays. Today, with all the digital things that are happening and people working from home, it's time to do some kind of an upgrade. We've had a few blips in the payroll area but a lot of that has to do with those forms. Instead of doing it online, we have to fill out a PDF, scan it and send it back in. But the team that's backing us up has been really good, high quality and easy to work with. My main contact is excellent.

The biggest impact for us has been that we feel much more confident now that we are doing the right things. We're not going to screw up big time on compliance issues. The PPP reporting helped us feel confident that we were putting the right numbers together for our reporting. I do and have recommended Insperity to others but at the same time, I do that judiciously. If I think somebody is going to reject the clunky portal, I don't tell them about it. I talked to somebody and they recommended BambooHR to us, which we used temporarily. It really was really nice in that it reminded us of the hiring date of employees and their birthdays. There are a lot of small little things that made our life easy. With Insperity, I have to go and check all the time and it's not as helpful to me in that sense.

Insperity response

Hi Barbara, It's wonderful to hear how working with us has provided you and your business confidence in areas such as PPP reporting during these uncertain times. We truly appreciate your feedback as a valued client of Insperity, thank you. We will share your comments regarding your experience using our portal with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

A few years back, we were struggling with trying to find affordable health insurance for our small group. We were going through a broker independently as a company all by ourselves with just a handful of employees. A couple of our folks were 50 and up and we were age banded. The cost for them was getting horrible. Somebody mentioned we should look into a PEO so I started researching what PEOs are and who the vendors are out there for that. We talked to a couple and brought in somebody from Insperity. We were very impressed with her and with what she was saying Insperity had to offer so we signed up. I've been thrilled. Our health insurance costs are great and so is the support I get for HR. We keep signing up for more and more services. We just signed up to have them manage our 401k. They do our screening and recruiting now too.

We had a couple of little stumbles in our handoff related to TimeStar. Part of it was the struggle to learn it was not as intuitive as I'd hoped when we started out. There were three months where we had extra hand-holding. Just as I was getting the hang of it, they said they were transitioning us away from the onboarding team. Suddenly, I had new people that I had to get to know in the support realm. There was something that changed with the portal. I was tearing my hair out there a couple of times going, "I don't understand."

We also made trouble for ourselves. We were paying our employees every two weeks and that meant that at year end and the beginning of a new year, sometimes the pay period crossed calendar years. Our CEO didn't like it that there were some months that had three payrolls and others that had two. He wanted his months to be equal so he wanted us to change to twice a month pay instead of every two weeks. That was terribly complex but that's not Insperity's fault.

I deal with many folks. Ashley is my HR helper. We shut down our office for a couple of months early or last spring. When we were trying to bring people back into the office during the summer, there were so many systems that we felt we needed to set up and we needed to learn about. What if people refuse to come back in? What policy should I have? Ashley held my hand through all of that and really made me feel like I was not on my own as we were trying to reinvent the wheel. She helped us develop our HR. We had a sort of a handbook but she helped us make sure it was compliant and professional. She helps us keep that updated and gives me pretty hard copies. Also, I had two challenging employees and Ashley helped me get rid of one of them and encouraged the other to find a new home without having to fire him. She really is a good security blanket.

Thea is my payroll person and I love her to death. I talk to her twice a month about some crazy things. She's so patient. Devina is helping with recruiting and that's brand new for us. Within the last month or so, we decided we would do a lot of recruiting. There was a special that said we didn't have to pay the placement fee if we signed up before a certain date in January. We threw everything in the kitchen sink that we've been thinking about filling and had Devina help us advertise it. We're making good progress on filling those spots. Isaiah is the one in the 401k department. I bugged him a year ago but we backed out and decided we weren't ready for it. But I called him up again about two months ago and said we were ready. He set that all up for us very quickly. Our employees are thrilled.

Insperity response

Hi Nancy, Thank you for taking the time to review Insperity! It's wonderful to hear how our staff has been able to support you through business challenges, alleviate the burden of your HR administrative tasks and help offer your employees affordable healthcare benefits and a 401k program. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are proud to serve you and your company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

We use a little bit of everything with Insperity. We use every aspect of HR and we do the certified payroll. I do the certified payroll personally and I'd like a little freedom to move things around. With other software, I can have a couple of names saved in my folders. They have a little more control on my end. We had a lot of trial and error last year. Things weren't working, reports weren't pulling up and information was missing. But so far, things have stayed in place.

Still, Insperity also needs to look into modern updated versions of their software. When I look online at other software we can purchase their reports look amazing. The customer who's getting my certified payroll report doesn't need to know the meat and potatoes. They just need to know how many hours someone did work and what did we pay that person. Recently, I had a gentleman who forgot to clock out for lunch and it wasn't caught. So, we had to make an adjustment on his next payroll by half an hour. I could have easily plugged in the correct numbers and made one line item then attached two pay stubs but I can't edit. Now, I have two checks, two reports and I had to put an explanation. It made more work for me.

One of our biggest customers is the federal government and the certified payroll is one of the compliance items. We don't want to be flagged, not with the federal government. So, I like to try to keep things clean and streamlined. Sometimes, I have had to make my own form because of the things that have happened. But the team members, when I do have a problem, the direct Insperity team is amazing. They make it an urgent matter. We have to patient though because sometimes the problem is something none of us can figure out and the software team makes us sit and wait which is a bummer.

Some of our vendors are little mom-and-pops and I've had to teach them certified payroll. So, I know certified payroll is a good selling point for those little guys that want to get into federal contracts and are aa intimidated by that. Sometimes, people call me asking how I do certain things. I ask if they're ready and tell them “Okay, you ready? I'm gonna email you a bunch of stuff. Don't get overwhelmed.” Other than that, just because something needs a little tweaking doesn't mean something's bad. Our CEO has referred Insperity to other people she's affiliated with who also have companies.

Insperity response

Hi Toni, Thank you for choosing Insperity! We appreciate you sharing your feedback about what's worked well for your business and the opportunities you've pointed out for our consideration. We will share your comments with our internal teams. Please feel free to email us at social@insperity.com with any additional insights.

Original review: July 15, 2021

We've been a client of Insperity for 13 years and they've been pretty good. In the very beginning, we had people in multiple states. We were a small organization and we wanted to offer health insurance in our various states. The simplest way to do that was to work with a PEO. If you have multiple states’ employees and you want to offer health insurance, Insperity would be a good option. There are other PEOs that may offer lower-cost services but we've stuck with Insperity over the years because the level of service that we've needed has been provided.

Insperity response

Hi Gregory, 13 years as our valued client is something to celebrate! Thank you for choosing (and sticking with!) Insperity. We greatly appreciate your positive review of our products and services, notably our health insurance offerings. To serve you and your team as you grow as a business makes us proud. Here's to more successful years together to come!

Original review: July 4, 2021

Customer support is good. We mostly work with HR and whenever we have questions, we reach out and they reply back to us quick with the right answers. So far, we've been working with Insperity for six years. We have a good relationship, and we will continue.

Insperity response

Hi Charlyn, We are proud to have served you and your business for the last six years - and excited to continue to do so! It's great to hear how our team has been attentive and helpful when it comes to HR support. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your company's PEO.

Original review: July 3, 2021

It's pretty easy navigating Insperity's site. They've done some updates so it's much better. I have great representatives. We went through our growing pains but we're in a good place right now. We do benefits and payroll with Insperity. The representative that handles us is for larger groups and I'm finding that the services have a higher quality.

Insperity response

Hi Rosalia, It's great to hear your positive feedback regarding our website updates and the quality of our services. Our team is proud to support you and your business as you continue to thrive and grow. Thank you for your review and for choosing Insperity as your PEO!

Original review: July 2, 2021

There are some parts in the website that are not as intuitive as others. Mostly on the TimeStar side of things. It can be a little bit confusing to read things like PTO and the PTO accrual and navigating that. Also, the process is not completely clear in signing up new employees. I only noticed that they weren't accruing after weeks of not accruing any PTO. But so far, everything's been good. We've had some hiccups and they've addressed them. Insperity has been helpful in that there are plenty of things I don't have to think about. But they could be more area-specific. For example, employment policies are different depending on the area that you live in and this came up a lot during COVID. So Insperity can do a better job of being more familiar with the area-specific HR policies by county. But my representatives have been very much focused on addressing issues as they come up.

Insperity response

Hi Edith, Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your experience working with Insperity. We're happy to hear that our team has been able to help lighten the burden of HR administrative responsibilities for you, and we appreciate your feedback on our support related to location-specific HR policies and time and attendance software. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: July 1, 2021

We're a small company of only 22 employees and I do the payroll through Insperity. It's very simple. Insperity is very responsive and it's easy to turn the payroll. The most important person I talk with is the Dallas team leader. Her name is Misty and she does a great job. I send her emails or call her on the phone. She always gets back to me and is very thorough. Sometimes, we have to put in special payrolls like a shoe allowance or eyeglass allowance. I just send Misty the detail. That happens right away and it's on time. The Insperity website is also okay and I can get most reports I need fairly easily. We have health insurance through the company too. The only challenge with Insperity is it's a little expensive on some of the fees that come across. Other than that, Insperity has worked out fine.

Insperity response

Hi Duane, Thank you for choosing Insperity to serve you and your small business! We're happy to hear about your positive experience with our payroll and health insurance offerings, and we appreciate you calling out Misty for doing a great job. Thank you for your feedback regarding our fees. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration.

Insperity Company Information