3.43/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DexYP™ provides local business automation software, plus digital and print marketing solutions, to more than 700,000 local businesses. Our flagship product—Thryv℠—combines business essentials, once managed through various tools, into one tidy software package. Thryv features include:

Customer communication via email and text with the help of a digital customer list.

Managing business listings, ratings and reviews.

Client scheduling and notification.

Estimate, invoice and coupon generation, plus payment processing.

The result: Thryv saves local business owners time and money, while enabling them to operate their businesses from the palm of their hand. It’s a tool like big businesses use but made for local businesses to help them not only survive in today’s tough market, but thrive.

In addition to Thryv, DexYP offers display, social media and search products that connect local businesses to the 47.5 million monthly visitors of our online directories yellowpages.com, Superpages.com® and DexKnows.com®.

In essence, we help local business owners easily run their businesses and power tools for consumers to find those businesses. For more information about the company, visit dexyp.com.

DexYP Gallery (1)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

524 DexYP Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Back when we started, everybody used the Yellow Pages. We have a couple of Yellow Pages ads and DexYP's customer service has been fine.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Our company needed help with the website, social media, and marketing. And to bring in more clients, our company reached out to DexYP. Their customer service has been very helpful. DexYP's service is valuable to our company but their price needs to be more reasonable.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We utilize DexYP mainly for our website and online advertising. Their customer service representatives have always taken care of everything we need and they’re very helpful. They also get back to you, especially if it’s something that needs to get resolved. Our case manager makes it a lot easier to deal with them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

For company advertising, we got DexYP. We’ve always been satisfied with Dex and the things we’ve done with them. The only thing is that they don’t send a representative out anymore to our company to find out what we’d like on our advertisements. They just do it over the internet and we really liked the customer service that they would bring, and they would talk to us if we had any changes or offer us any kind of specialty advertising quotes that they had at that time. We miss the personal hands-on with them. But they’ve been pretty valuable because we’ve had them since we started the business 35 years ago.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was putting an ad in the Yellow Pages that's why I reached out to DexYP. Their service to my company has been valuable and I'm happy. I would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DexYP?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had a salesman come to my business and I could not get him to leave without signing a contract. Once he walked away I called to cancel the contract and they would not allow it. When I got my call to renew this year I would not be bullied (it helped that they didn't come in person, I am braver behind a telephone receiver). The sales lady was desperate. I said no, over and over, and eventually was able to end the phone call. A week later I get a call from a manager. I was assured the account was closed. But I just received a notice in the mail and they want more money! This company is terrible, do not let them back you into a corner. Just say no!

Hello Katy -

We hate to hear of any confusion surrounding your account and we definitely hate to lose you as a valued client. Please be advised that our Client Care team will be reaching out to you in an effort to address all concerns.

Ed

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We've been in DexYP's Yellow Pages for 20 years. I've had a rep who calls to go over the renewal info and they've been good. However, the service's value has gotten to be marginal.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We’ve always had DexYP. Their service is okay and I haven't had any complaints.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

DexYP was the one that put the ad in the normal Yellow Pages. Everything seems fine to me and I'm happy with what’s going on. The people who use the Yellow Pages the most are the elderly and I have a number of patients who are elderly. I wanted to make sure that my name was there with a phone number and address.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We were not happy with Hiboo before and our online presence needed to be increased or fine-tuned. DexYP contacted us and it was time for us to either renew what we already had with them or to increase what we were doing with them. They're very thorough and usually very responsive to any of our questions or things that we want to start to do with our advertising and our online presence. They’re very capable when it comes to that sort of thing and the service has been valuable.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Mr. ** Sales manager in Southern California powered his way into our restaurant doing a full presentation when he was repeatedly been told he could not do it. He was explained by the manager and the director of operations that our company did not permit us to hold presentations or seminars and he chose to lie and push through his presentation anyway, disregarding rules and possibly costing a manager's his job. Your business model is to sell your services to small businesses but your methods and sales strategy disregard the principals of ethics and common respect. I will make sure to share this experience with all my peers and associates.

Hi Ramiro -

I'm sorry to hear of this matter and apologize for any inconvenience as a result. We'll look into the outlined concerns and our Client Care Dept will be reaching out to you.

Ed

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We have DexYP's Yellow Pages service. It's up for renewal in February but the boss wants to discontinue this. We ask people when they come in how they heard of us and some people have said the internet. We keep track of that but it hasn’t been all that many people. But when we did the transfer on the account from Erica being the authorized one to me, it was very easy and DexYP very helpful.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I’ve been with DexYP since I took over the business and that’s been 10 years ago. DexYP customer service has always been good about returning my calls in a timely fashion. The rep Jaimie was awesome. Anything that I ask of her, she knows what I'm talking about because I don’t have the same lingo as they do but they get what I’m saying through the keywords that I’m saying. She knows her product well. DexYP does a lot of my social media anytime I ask for a Facebook website. We are now looking into online product selling and videos.

There’s a lot of tools with this product which I’m impressed by. They’ve been very valuable to my advertising for what I do. I've only had a few hiccups here and there with them and they’ve worked those things through. The only thing I don’t like is they keep switching campaign managers. I’ve been with them for 10 years so I like the consistency of having the same campaign manager that knows more about the business, a personal rapport in a sense. I'm in the business of services. That’s relational and that makes a lot of difference. Other than that, I would recommend DexYP.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have used DexYP Media for a number of years for web hosting and in that time I have had minimum contact or advice. I have recently canceled my contract due to this and was told that my website would be live until January. Imagine my surprise when a customer contacted me to inform me that my website was down. I have spoken to at least three different people at DexYP but no one has returned my call. I don't know where to go or what to do and the longer this lasts the more customers I am losing. I am very upset and stressed and really need to talk to someone.

Hi Anne -

We hate to hear of this situation and apologize for the lack of follow up during your attempts to contact us regarding this matter.

An escalation has been entered and our Client Care Team will be reaching out to you in an effort to address all concerns.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We have been with DexYP for years and we just continued our service. We had revamped some of our advertising and they’ve gotten along with the times, and they’re doing everything they can to get us advertised. Website advertising on Facebook is their number one service, which we do, and they also have phone book service which we're getting out of. My advertising manager, Meredith, is the business adviser and she meets with me once a year or more. We go over the advertising and I'm just happy with the customer service. And then, we also have a campaign manager that I can reach out. Although they're not local, I can reach out to them on the phone or get them through e-mail. So far, their services have been very good. I'm really happy with the website they’ve provided for us and the means of contacting customers through there. Overall, I'm very happy with our experience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I cannot begin to EXPLAIN how frustrated this company makes me! I would give NO stars if I could. I've been going back and forth Since March 2017 and it is now October and I'm still battling to get across to them after speaking to: ** and after contacting the BBB, I also received an email from ** -- Let me tell you - UNORGANIZED doesn't even begin to describe this company.

We brought in a REAL marketing agency who brought to light the already suspected fraudulent activities of DexMedia/DexYP. I've had many phone conferences regarding our accounts with Dex and it was told that the Proxy's (for the SEM & SEO campaigns - the very pricey pay per click ads) were never active when we started hosting on Wix - HOWEVER, we hosted with Wix back in 2013, no one ever notified us or even took the initiative to call us about it, but they would still bill us and we would pay UNKNOWINGLY. With that being said - ** claims to have reached out and sent reports every month - which we have tracks of the emails and that is a lie.

It was back in 2015 that I started having my suspicions about Dex and spoke to **. ** then came and gave spoke out his ** and somehow or another we signed up for another dreadful year. With much investigation and the help of another marketing team (from people who actually have experience in marketing and GREAT customer service) it was PROVEN that our CLICKS we were paying for were never going to an actual site - I've attached an image of 2 links - I have a TON more.

Since March I've been stressing and back and forth between DexMedia/DexYP -- I even sent them a portion of their OWN Contact: "NOTICES/HOW TO CONTACT US: All notices, including termination notices to us, must be in writing and mailed by US mail or overnight courier to: DexMedia, 1615 Bluff City Hwy, Briston, TN 37620 or sent by going to www.dexmedia.com/contact-us, and completing the requested information in the "Send us a Message" section. Cancellation notices must include your business name, telephone number and address. for questions about this agreement or your advertising, please call Client Care at 844-DEXMEDIA (339-6334)."

We have done JUST That!!! I've sent in 2 cancellation letters which have been received and STILL struggling to get any HELP from anyone. We finally received a cancellation letter which doesn't state the account it actually cancels or it doesn't specify the date in which it will be canceled. DexMedia/DexYP are so unspecific and keep any details to a minimum to where you have nothing to stand on. This company can cause you to go into Cardiac-Arrest, the amount of stress and hub-la they put people through and ripping them off.

Hi Melissa,

We hate to hear of the issues you've encountered and want to truly apologize for any inconveniences that have occurred as a result.

I have escalated this matter to our Client Care team to promptly reach out to address and resolve any and all outstanding concerns.

Thank you and again, we truly apologize for this matter.

Nichole

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

It was time to renew our phone book ads so we reached out to DexYP. We do it every year and customer service is fine. Their service does really well.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for your review. We are so glad we can help you.

Thanks,

Brooke

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We changed up our Dex account this year and I've been pleased with the experience that I've had with their customer service reps. The website looks good and it's working the way it should. I've had a handful of customers who I've reached out to through the website, but in this type of business, people are not looking online. Most of our business will be with contractors and other large companies so they know who they're going to talk to about putting bids in for jobs way before they even get started. The only people that we're going to be getting with Dex's services are consumers and those in the residential area which is the smaller part of our business. DexYP is doing exactly what they need to do but it's not going to work for us quite as well as it would a different business.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been with some form of Dex Media since 1998. I recently decided that due to the fact that their phonebook is almost nonexistent, that I no longer wanted to participate. When I got emails and phone calls I just ignored them most importantly considering that they said I needed to have a new contract. To me that means what? That means I need to have a new contract. If I don't have a contract then we are done. But apparently I had a contract and now I still have a contract without ever doing anything. What kind of bogus deal is this? I will definitely be contacting the Atty. Gen. of my state. Per a telephone conversation with Dex, they seem to be of the attitude that it is just tough luck. If I have to continue paying for another year's advertising with Dex, you can believe I will do everything in my power to let people know what they are in for. I guess the old adage of buyer beware is appropriate here.

Good morning, Jim -

We hate to hear of the issues encountered and apologize for any inconvenience as a result. Our Client Care Team will look into this matter and reach out to you to address.

Ed

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have paid for advertising with this company for the past 13 years, only to find out that I've been paying money to a company that refuses to return calls, is constantly passing the calls to others after you go through what is wrong for the umpteenth time, saying another department needs to call back, are in "meetings" or "out that day" as excuses. They published an incorrect ad and say that they are providing "digital services" that is nowhere to be found and state that I cannot get out of a contract which they aren't providing services for that they promised. I have been trying to resolve the issues for three months, only to get passed around in circles. In the meantime, I'm getting weekly past due notices with interest, for services not provided. This company needs to be investigated! Do not sign anything or commit to anything over the phone!

Good afternoon, Tammy -

My apologies for the issues surrounding your account and that customer service expectations weren't met during your attempts to address this matter. I assure you that we take claims of this nature very seriously. Client Care was assigned this case and will be reaching out to you promptly to address all concerns.

Ed

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I'm on business committee of a small church. We placed a listing in the YP years ago. Church membership has decreased to less than 10 attending most Sundays. Phone service and other non-essential expenses were discontinued. We have tried for three years to cancel YP. Each year we are told we have to pay "this year", but the ad will be cancelled "next year". This is our third year and we are still trying to cancel. We have written correspondence requesting service be canceled, called numerous times and most recently a ticket opened with YP. We are still getting invoices. We have paid the account the past two years with confirmation we would not receive an invoice again.

Hi Debbie -

I'm sorry to know of the ongoing issues outlined and apologize for any inconvenience as a result. Client Care will be reaching out to you in an effort to address and work to resolve this matter.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

DexYP's customer service has been pleasant. We usually contact each other through email and then talk if we need to. Although I was not originally here and I just came in the middle of using DexYP, their services have been fine so far.

Julie,

We are glad to know everything is going well. We are here to help!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

After using a great directory service i Local Guru when I changed my address done that day I switched to YP for about the same price. I would get advertising to first thing typos I fixed twice then they had to fix after a couple of months finally got fixed then I changed my address. At least 10 phone calls. After every call I would get an email case closed then by email and every time another email case closed. It wasn't fixed. Only after I stopped auto pay did they actually fixed. Now all the while my digital presence is being slammed by YP. They're having negative effects on my SEO efforts that was over 6 months into my ad with them. Now my summer is over. My website goes to first page like it should have from first complaints to many reps. Nobody takes the customer service as long as you're in auto pay. I offered to pay for 6 months. They screwed it up for 8 months. All they want is your money.

Results don't matter between deceptive postcards and all the runaround with how they don't deliver on what they advertise. 7 18 17 is when they finally fixed my address. Once errors with Google went into effect website went right to first page. It's all verifiable yet they insist I pay for 6 months. They screwed up. A good company would accept their mistakes and agree with customer not YP. First put my marketing efforts down, hamper them as much as you could. I begged you to release my dashboard. You weren't getting it done. You killed my summer profits down over 50%. You would fix or release. Now we're at a standstill not paying a non performing and detrimental company to my company. This is a small company. I spend countless hours trying to get this cleared up not asking for time back that I spent that if dashboard worked would have fixed right away so I'm going to spend my time telling the truth about YP Dex Media and thrive.

Hi David,

We hate to know of your dissatisfaction regarding your YP account and any inconveniences experienced as a result. Our Executive Claims Team has discussed this matter with you and worked to resolve all concerns. We are sorry to hear that you feel the matter wasn't resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for providing your feedback.

- Ed

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have written these people numerous times in an effort to cancel my account for their yellow pages. I do not want my business to appear in their book in the future. They will not respond with a confirmation of the cancellation.

Hi Robert -

I'm sorry for the lack of response after your attempts to reach out. Client Care will be reaching out to you in an effort to address this matter.

Ed

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We’ve been in DexYP’s phone book ever since we’ve been in business and we’re in such a rural area. I really don’t get way out of town work as everything’s local and everybody knows me. The reps call to renew every year and if I need anything, they’re there for me. DexYP is kind of a traditional phone book around here and anybody who’s anybody in business is advertised on it.

Terry,

We are glad you find value in our services! We are always here to help.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

After 14 years of doing a service business, I decided to shut down my operation. I was contacted by Dex Media on 8-10-2017 by my representative and I returned his call on 8-15-2017. I discussed with him that I was not going to renew and he stated that he would send me the paperwork to cancel. The only emails I received from the company was DocuSign to renew. I sent an email stating that I did not get any paperwork and never got a reply back. The company has now stated that they have the right to auto renew because the cancellation was not done. Clark, my representative appeared to be understanding and sincere about me canceling but apparently commission is more important. I am very disappointed in how this company operates.

Edward,

I am so sorry this has been your experience. This is not how DexYP operates, I can assure you. I have made an escalation and a representative from client care will be in contact with you shortly. We will get this fixed for you as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Having DexYP’s services is very valuable to my company. They monitor my website and I get a lot of compliments about it. People like it and say it’s easy to get around and look at it. DexYP reached out to me many years ago. They were interested if I wanted to put a phone book ad at the time, and I was. Because I was first-time customer, they gave me a good deal. And then, I renewed the service and I had to go bigger every year. When they added services on the internet, everything started to become a package deal type of thing. Their customer service is also great. I’ve had the same contact person every year which has been awesome, unlike before where I got a different person yearly.

However, when DexYP started to do online payments, it was tricky for me. When I put in the information before, the system didn’t accept it. There’s a little green triangle up on the right-hand corner which didn’t say what it was. I told my rep about this because this kept on happening and the system kept on asking for a four-number code. My rep had the research team and they said, “We don’t know what you’re talking about.” So, I showed her and she said, “I don’t know what that’s for.” No one knew what it’s for until I pushed that green triangle accidentally and then it turned upside down and everything went through. It was all good and I didn’t need the four-digit code. It took a long time for it to be figured out. If I didn’t hit it by accident, I would’ve probably still been pulling my hair out thinking, “How am I going to make this payment?” Still, I have been recommending DexYP.

Darrell,

Sorry about that frustration you faced with payments. We are so glad you find value in our services. We work to help people just like you. We appreciate you working with us and will continue to service you the best way we know how.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I got DEX because I work. I work and work and work. I can't market and work. So they called and did the initial interview, which by law, makes you unable to cancel. Guess what they gave me? WORK. Fill out this and fill out that and call here and call there. Run around and I've been totally screwed. I'm not even listed on Yellow Pages. There are More Cons out there than anything. Your website will never be raised to the top unless you're a big company. A website is just a site to put on your card to send people to nothing else. Keep your advertising money in your pocket. DexYP is 100% con.

Theodore,

I'm so sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction surrounding your account. I have escalated this issue and a client care representative will reach out shortly. We hope to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Brooke

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I used DexYP to put my business in the telephone book. However, I don't need them anymore because everything’s going to social media now. And I’m probably going to cease advertising because, right now, there’s a yard sale site on Facebook that covers my entire area. And there are 10 thousand people on this Facebook yard sale site that I can reach by just posting it on there.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I stupidly decided to try DexYP Media's services hoping to drive more traffic to my website. When I spoke with Clint, the Business Automation Specialist, he assured me that the only subscription I would be subscribing to was a month to month contract. I made it perfectly clear that I did not want to be involved with anything that wasn't month to month. Clint said, "You could try it for a month or even 3 months and if you didn't like it, you could cancel." I thought, okay, I'll do it. He put me on the phone with a verifier and at NO time did I agree to a 1-year subscription, nor did they tell me anything about cancelling within 21 days. Well, in less than 30 days of my first month, I noticed that my bank account had been debited for the month to month fee of $59.00. So I called Dex Media to complain about them taking money from my bank account 4 days prior to my first 30 days expiring.

I complained because today (10.5.17), my 92-year-old parent's assisted living rent was due and this deduction left me short. By my calculations, Oct 9, 2017, is when my account should have been debited, provided I wanted to keep the service. To my surprise, I was told the same thing many of you here were told, that I had committed to a 1-year subscription and that I had 21 days to cancel, instead of 30 days. When I asked for my money back and said that I want to cancel my subscription, I was told, the internal credit card team would be the ones to make the decision to refund my money and cancel my supposed 1-year subscription.

If anyone wants to join in my submitting a request for the California Attorney General to investigate these practices by Dex Media, please let me know. I believe the phone verification was altered, I would NEVER have committed to a 1-year subscription. There's something not right about this company and I intend to get to the bottom of it!

Renae,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I have made an escalation and forwarded your message to client care. A representative will be in contact with you soon. They will get this handled for you.

DexYP Company Information