3.2/5 (1865 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I took my Passat to a VW Certified dealership and was never contacted with an estimate or completion date. It’s been there for over 6 months and I still don’t have my car. I have been in contact with customer care and they have been completely useless. It takes them at least a week to respond to their own email requests. I can not recommend any certified VW mechanic nor can I recommend VW as a company since their customer care is so abysmal.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Extremely disappointed with my 2016 VW golf sportswagon and their customer care. I have been a VW owner for 20 years and didn’t have any problems with the quality until I purchased this car. The car had transmission problems only after 6 months and the same issue happened numerous time during the 5 years. Not to mention that there were a few recalls as well. The turbocharger also failed just shortly after the warranty expired. I called VW customer care to see if they can help given that I had been a loyal customer.

The experience with customer care had been terrible and disappointing. It took 6 weeks for them to complete an assessment for the car. I had to follow up numerous times and was always given the answer that they will look into it and call me back. But they never did. It’s not until that we went to the dealership to talk to the service manager that customer care put effort to complete an assessment of the repairs. It’s disappointing that given the quality history of the car they are only willing to cover about half of the repair cost. Their decision is final and doesn’t given a chance to discuss further with them. The quality of this car is not what I expected from VW.

What is also extremely disappointing is that they don’t offer basic customer service. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I will get a call within 48 hours. It never happened as always and it took numerous follow up calls and 8 days later before a supervisor called. This is totally unacceptable customer service. Their “don’t care” attitude will drive away loyal customers. I will never buy another VW product or recommend them to a friend or family.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We have owned a Volkswagen Beetle, a Jetta, and now a Tiguan… We love Volkswagen! We love the quality workmanship!! Well made and few repairs. Our Tiguan has over 150,000 miles on it and she’s still going strong with basic maintenance! Quality vehicles!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

We leased a VW Tiguan in 2018. The lease is coming to an end this October. We called the company early August and indicated that we want to buy off our car. We compiled all the necessary documents and issued a cashier check for the pay off account and send all documents in mid August 2021. We were told we should receive the title in 3 to 4 weeks. We heard nothing so we called on September 8 to follow up they said it is ready they will rush mail it to us to receive by the end of the week.

Nothing happened again so we called back September 17 only to be told they are missing Odometer Disclosure which we did submit with the packet in mid August. We sent the Disclosure by secure message after the fax number the customer service person gave me on the phone failed. They said, "All clear. You should receive the title end of the week." The week ended we are now the 26 September and 6 weeks after full payment and we have no title. We cannot sell the car, we cannot refinance it and we are at loss for what to do to get our title from this company. I am now considering going to court for injunction. VW is simply a dishonest company and I will never drive any car by this company again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Took my 2016 Golf R (with only 56,000 kms on it) in for servicing as it simply shut down. VW Service Tech told me it needed a new engine control module (ECM), turbocharger and thermostat housing - something they rarely see. It's one owner car, serviced exclusively at VW dealer, low kms, and babied. Final bill was $7,000 on a car that cost $46,000 new. I asked VW Canada to look into it and share (50/50) the cost of the repairs. While it was out of warranty, they offered me $1,500 credit on future VW sales and service - which is of little use to me as I sold the car to the VW dealer, and don't plan to ever buy a VW again. Guess they're simply not interested in my future business (VW, Audi, Porsche) or my word of mouth. Unfortunate as I've purchased 10+ Audi's in the past and this was my first foray into VW's performance cars. Wiser for the experience and disappointed.

Original review: June 25, 2021

They have covered many repairs and updates on my Jetta. Whether tail lights, oil changes, tires and headlights. The dealership we use is Campbell Nelson Volkswagen and they are pleasant and courteous. They keep us informed of any mechanical issues that need addressing.

Original review: May 28, 2021

My timing chain needed to be replaced on a 2017 Tiguan (or so they said). Only 70,000 miles. I changed the oil with synthetic per VW's maintenance schedule. Even though they had a massive recall on this same issue and claimed it was resolved, it hasn't been. VW reviewed the case and determined no action was necessary on their part. Basically, sorry, too bad. Then 3 days at the dealer with no loaner. VW "Customer Care" is a hardly that. "Customer- Don't Care" should be the name of the department. Over 1 hour on hold, or "wait for a call back- you won't lose you place in line"...get the call back later, only to be on hold another 20 minutes....seriously? They won't give direct numbers, so every time you call you have to go through this drill.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Had the same issue on my 2019 Tiguan. Contacted VW customer service and they not only stated that “oil consumption” is normal but it’s acceptable to “consume”a quart per 2k miles… I traded the tiguan for a Toyota before it devalues further. After 4 VWs and 3 Audis it was time for change due to VW and the dealer not giving a flying **.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Full bumper to bumper extension of the factory warrantee from 4 years, 50,000 miles to 6 years 85,000 miles. Covers all non-consumable items and includes roadside assistance. Melds nicely with VW's Car-net. Yes, you need a VW service department BUT there are plenty in the area that I primarily drive and there are so few truly qualified local mechanics in the area. With all of the electronics on my new car, I needed the peace of mind, that if even a minor component occurs, the vehicle would be repaired with genuine VW parts by factory trained service techs.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I purchased a brand new Tiguan r-line. After one day I drove it in the rain and the headlights misted up. Notified VW and took the vehicle back. I was told that it is normal in not too many words. Picked vehicle up today and it was raining again and lights misted up again. How can be sell vehicles knowing that the headlights have this problem. VW essentially refuses to replace headlights. Just want to let people know what they are potentially in for if they buy be.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Extended Warranty. I purchased a 2010 Volkswagen Passat with an in-service date of 10-18-10 (warranty coverage begins). After being a loyal customer for 10 years, the company refuses to cover an P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Sensor Engine issue covered by an extended warranty if the vehicle is 120K miles or less and within the 10-year warranty. My engine light alerted me on 10-23-20. So, over the weekend I had the codes ran at AutoZone which identified the problem. On Monday 10-26-20 I called my local dealer and they informed me of the extended warranty stating I was merely 6 business days outside of the 10 year requirement but well under mileage at 92K. They suggested I call VW corporate to get this approved.

I spoke with a very nice lady and then her boss and despite their professionalism, they refuse to work with me to help get this fixed. They said they simply cannot go beyond the 10 years even if it is a few days and mileage is well under. This is a VW part issue, not something user caused. Needless to say, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that rigidity and greed come before flexibility & doing what is right, especially during these times. This organization seems to lack compassion and the know-how of retaining long term loyal customers relationships & viewing each situation and customer as valuable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Volkswagen shouldn't be sold in the US. The customer service is awful and the warranty means nothing. I traveled to Michigan for a quick vacation. The car broke down hours away from my destination. Get a towing truck through road assistance was almost impossible. My car was sent to a dealership 2 hours away from where I was staying. 12 hours later I received a call to let me know they got my car and they were going to inspect it in 1 week, I was staying there for only 2 days. After spending 7 hours on the phone, I decided to take a taxi to get a rental car (the closest rental was 1 hour and a half away). Volkswagen couldn't provide me a loaner/rental. I had to paid for everything. Everybody I talked to over the phone told me to contact the "trip interruption department."

After spending 200 dollars in a taxi, I get a call that the car was ready. According to them, the car was not fixed correctly at the dealership in Chicago (Volkswagen Irving Park Chicago). Took another taxi the other way, another $200. Once I got there, the Muskegon Volkswagen rep told me the following: "We reconnected a hose that they forgot to connect when they replace the crankshaft sensor in Chicago"... Please note the car has only 25K miles and broke a few weeks before this. They charged me because a different Volkswagen made a mistake but "trip interruption" was going to take care of this.

Long story short, I made it back to Chicago, mailed all the receipts as they told me to do and today I got a call to let me know the case was declined. This is not money related, I don't care about the money but I can tell that Volkswagen customer service is awful... In Muskegon, in Chicago... Everywhere... even the customer CARE. I don't understand how they do business with this poor customer care. Definitely, not buying a Volkswagen again. On top of that I bought the extended warranty!!! STAY AWAY FROM VW CHICAGO IRVING PARK... STAY AWAY FROM VW MUSKEGON... STAY AWAY FROM VOLKSWAGEN...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have a Volkswagon Passat for official/domestic use since 2016. No doubt it drives great with all the inbuilt features of safety as well as ergonomics. It has got a powerful engine with smooth drive. To sum up I must say that the company has put in all its efforts to make it a success but unfortunately the only thing which is pulling it down is the customer support at its service center. It has such an overwhelming effect that all the good features of this car get multiplied by zero rather I would say it takes it in the negative side of the scale. I had been getting its maintenance services from the VW for the last so many years until this month when I finally decided to quit and I will even restrain myself to small pit shop.

I happened to be at VW service center at Templehoff for scheduled inspection of my car in August 2020 but was highly disappointed with the attitude of service center staff who not only charged me heavily but also failed to standby their commitment of completing the job on time again and again. These people don't have any sense of customer care and don't bother even if some customer getting bogged down because of their failings. To my utter surprise no appropriate action was taken despite this matter was brought in the notice of management which brings me to the conclusion that this entire company is unknown to the word "Customer Care" rather they "Don't Care". Anyways I formally said goodbye to this place and will never recommend any friend for even visiting this place for petty tasks.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Bought a 2021 VW Atlas. Made in USA. Navigation issues. Accepts address but will not go there. Works on 80 % of address that are entered. Complained to VW, getting nowhere. They say it is a software issue. And is not their problem. They say I should deal with software company. I bought this car from VW not the software company. Customer service sucks. They are purchasing inferior products - to save money and not supporting their customers. Will never buy another VW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

We bought a 2020 Tiguan six months ago. This car likes to stop itself in the middle of the street for no apparent reason. If you read more reviews online, you will find it’s a common problem. VW reviewed the case for 2 months only to let us know they weren’t going to do anything about it. Terrible customer service and seems to have no concern about driver safety. Would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I purchased the vehicle almost a year ago. After month with the car, I started to hear door noises on my car - squeaky and cracking sounds. I’ve been going to the dealership for about 10 times and they haven’t fixed the problem. Dealerships are not Helpful. I told him I didn’t, the car has a defect but they keep saying they can fix the problem. I’ve been having this problem for a year now. This is the last time I’m gonna be getting a Volkswagen Product. Not satisfied with his vehicle at all.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

I have been an on/off VW owner for almost 15 years. I recently became one again just a few months ago and now I know why I was on/off, rather than always on! After this current experience, I cannot recommend Volkswagen products any longer and no matter what changes they make, I will never return. My recent vehicle was purchased brand new and the quality of workmanship on it is so poor that I would not let my worst enemy get one. Mine came with a defective dashboard straight out of the factory! The dash had a golf ball sized imperfection and a few hollow spots near the passenger airbag.

The front window trims also had gashes in them and were also colored differently. One of my interior lights has a bug and some floating debris inside of the housing. There is a s black paint mark on one side of my trunk door (my vehicle is red). I don't care how much the vehicle retails for, this workmanship is pure junk and 100% unacceptable. This vehicle and all of VW is a total embarrassment to the entire car world. Even FORD is putting out top-notch vehicles in 2020. SHAME ON YOU VOLKSWAGEN.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

We purchased a brand new 2018 Tiguan and have had an horrible experience. The family almost died in a car accident because of the EPC faulty code. It happened 3 times and Volkswagen could not fix the issue. All of a sudden your car loses power and can’t go over 30mph, it shakes horribly and continues to lose power. The last time it happened (3rd time) we were merging onto a highway, the car shook and then lost power, with your foot to the floor the car will not go over 30mph. An 18wheeler truck almost slammed into the back of us, we had to swerve off the highway. Took it back to Volkswagen and they stated it was a faulty read and NOTHING Else was done! We are so shaken and have no trust in the car.

I went directly to head office of Volkswagen and after 6 weeks of discussion they offered me a 10% discount off a new car! Are you kidding me??? 10% when it almost killed my family. I bought a new car so I would have no issue, but instead have had deadly issues. Looking online I see I am not alone. I guess Volkswagen does Nothing to keep their customers safe unless you die and then a class action lawsuit happens. Guess I should head up a class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. You will regret it. Stay away from a company who knows there are deadly issues yet does nothing about it!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I have a 2018 Tiguan which the gas odometer keeps going haywire and when this happens the radio system will not turn on. I have taken to the dealer twice and they have reset it and now they tell me this is just something I have to live with and it is not unusual. Why even have the feature if it does not work accurately. The more I drive the higher the number of miles it says I have in the tank and is now at 4082 miles.

Original review: July 7, 2020

So Frustrated my car just got repaired last week and now I’m back with the light on again and they are charging me again for the Diagnosis when it should already be fixed and I shouldn’t be here again and nor should I be charged again when it should of been fixed right the 1st time I was here and we're in a middle of a pandemic and you are charging again not right at all!!!!

Original review: June 25, 2020

I bought a VW Tiguan in Dec. 2019, top of the line with bells and whistles. About 14,000 Km after, when I took it for the 15k km service, I asked them to have a look at the brakes as they've started to make some noise. They said the brakes overheat, the metal is blue (sign of overheating) and they they'll need to be replaced. $1,500 invoice. They said the warranty doesn't want to cover it as it is a consumable. I know that the warranty doesn't cover consumables (oil, filters, brake pads etc), but this is the first car I have to change the brakes under 60,000 - 80,000 Km. I love my cars and I look after them, but I see this as a factory defect, not a user error.

I would like to clarify something: I've owned and drove multiple cars along the years. I'm a car guy, I love cars. I bought the Tiguan for my wife, but I drove it 90% of the time due to some circumstances. I had multiple German cars, Japanese and American cars over the years. Just so you know, I'm not looking for any freebies, discounts or anything like that. Just want the manufacturer and representatives to stand behind their claims and contracts.

The dealer can't change them on warranty, they've submitted pictures and technical reports to VW Canada but they've rejected any warranty claims. I've called them directly to talk about the situation, they've opened another "case" and VW Canada said they'll get back to me in 48 hours. Few days later I called them again as I didn't hear anything from them. They said another 48 hours...

This becomes a joke, they throw the blame from one to the other and together to the put it in the owner's lap to pay it. The warranty is a shame, they make the best to get out of replacing faulty parts or repair them stating it's user fault. I start to have doubts about the parts reliability and warranty, at least not in North America. Unless you have a blown engine in less than 1,000 Km, they won't cover anything, and even then, they might say you've done something wrong to it or looked in the mirror the wrong way.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have had by far the WORST experience with VW. I thought it was only the 1 dealership I went to but I have went to multiple and they are all the same. They will scam you out of every single penny you own. They have terrible customer service, you have to wait hours to get anything fixed. Don’t EVER lease a car with them or you will end up basically paying for the entire car and then having to give it back. They are a scam. They have recalls all the time. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another VW again.

Original review: May 27, 2020

A disgrace!!!! This company has no loyalty to its customers and is not willing to help!!! As a customer of over 15 years, they collected money from an insurance payout and then refused to take it off my credit report even though the insurance company paid them within a week!!! I was in a terrible accident and am still paying the price!! I will never get a Volkswagen again! Go to another car company - it's only a matter of time before you belly up.

Original review: March 9, 2020

After purchasing a brand new 2019 Atlas, it has been nothing but a nightmare. From cylinders not firing, bad spark plugs, blaming us for putting bad gas in... Now on 3 visits, then a faulty battery which a corporate mechanic had to find. It has been nothing but a disaster! To top it all off, we want to get rid of this LEMON and that has become an even harder process. Not only does this car violate CA law for having multiple issues on a specific part of the car, my 3-year-old has been in the car with me on two separate occasions when it has decided to randomly shut off. VW corporate was not phased by this at all.

When purchasing this vehicle, my husband and I turned in a perfectly good, special edition BMW and received this piece of crap! Instead of actually taking care of my family, VW corporate insists that they will only pay us for the difference of the BMW and car payments. Myself, my husband, and my son's life was in jeopardy while driving this car, but clearly empathizing with hard-working decent people is not in this business' interest. My family has purchased from VW for over a decade, but that will not happen again. Not only are they not taking care of our needs while trying to split ties with their company, they sent a completely incompetent email to us with false options and that demand we send items to send to them? I am in the business sector and business is not conducted in such a fashion as this.

I also want to point out that because the email was so poorly composed, I could press legal matters around the areas addressed. This is a very stern warning that if you are looking to purchase a family vehicle this is a horrific option. I am extremely disappointed with this company and cannot believe they claim to service everyone and will not accommodate those who have been experiencing issue after issue, two being highly dangerous, and do not know the meaning of taking care of loyal customers. Such a shame!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

My daughter bought this 2014 Tiguan and paid as much as a small house for it. 2.0 turbo engine. With 88,000 Kms (53,000 miles) on it now it will hardly haul itself in cold temperatures, jerking and misfiring with a PO300 code RANDOM MISFIRE. Have replaced camshaft sensor, all 4 coils, spark plugs, mass airflow sensor TWICE, sprayed carbon cleaner into intake head to try to clean carbon from valves that is a HUGE problem with these Volkswagen's. Spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the problem....VW don't know....NO ONE knows. Going in next week for yet ANOTHER sensor try...

I bought a new 2006 Honda Civic that was just nicely broke in at 50,000 miles. At 150, 000 miles not KM's I had to do the brakes, that was the FIRST TIME I done ANY repairs on that car....VERY FIRST THING DONE. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH VW ON IT...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY!! Just do a little reading about these lemons online...STAY AWAY....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED and you had better heed it, I can't type stay away enough times!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Received the car with minor scratches on the steering wheel and didn't make a fuss about it. 6 months later the scratches expanded and steering wheel is peeling all around. I took it to a VW authorized dealership and they claim it looks like it was scratched so it won't be covered under warranty. I won't be buying/leasing another VW and will warn my friends, co-workers and family not to get one. I have an older Jeep Cherokee with same type of steering wheel that still looks new. It seems VW are using inferior material to make their steering wheel wrap.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Expensive repairs after 60,000 miles. Most of the VW 2.0 liter TBI engines are known for water pump failures. IN December 2019, VW added an extended warranty to your car you probably do not know about. If you take your car to the dealer for the warranty extension repair, they will probably tell that oil leaks, another VW problem, caused the pump to fail, and they won't honor the warranty. Now if you already paid to have your water pump replaced, you need to join the class-action lawsuit for compensation. It is ridiculous that a vehicle with 68,000 should need $4,000 worth of oil leaks and water pump repairs. This is another known problem that VW does not want to address so I would recommend selling that vehicle before the warranty expires.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I bought a brand new 2019 Beetle and noticed it had a bunch of things wrong right off the bat. One of the speaker lights didn't work, the manual seat sinks after a few hours, and the A/C button doesn't work properly. I am 3.5 hours away from a Volkswagen dealership so it takes me 7 hours round trip to service it. I have to do 2 seven hour trips per service because they never fix it in one day. So far I have had to make that round trip 4 times and they still have not fixed the issues other than the speaker light. I don't have time or patience anymore to take many days off for nothing. The product is poorly put together and the service is HORRIBLE, at least at South Motors in Miami, FL.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I re-titled my car from VA to IL in late 2019. After receiving my state transfer packet from VW, I called them before I went to the DMV and told them I thought I was missing a document in my packet. They assured me I had everything I needed. When I went to the DMV, they informed me I was missing a document that I told VW I needed earlier in the day. This caused a significant delay in re-titling. I had to pre-pay my taxes on the car for 2019. I submitted paperwork to VW showing that I had retitled the vehicle so I could receive a credit on the taxes I had already paid, and they told me I would have a resolution in 6-8 weeks.

It has been almost 3 months and I have still not heard back on my status. Every time I call and talk to a customer service representative, they promise me they will get an answer by the end of the day and will call me back. I have yet to receive a call back. I have absolutely had it. Their agents do not care about making sure I receive the money I am due-I truly wonder if they are just holding on to the funds from the state of VA and not forwarding them on to me. It is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I purchased a lemon. (2018 GTI Autobahn). The car has been serviced 6 times in 8 months for a faulty sunroof. The issue still remains. I filed a claim with VW corporate and it was denied. I would stay away from VW. I'm taking this as a loss. :( STAY AWAY from GTI's with SUNROOFS!

Volkswagen Company Information