2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (774 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Expensive repairs after 60,000 miles. Most of the VW 2.0 liter TBI engines are known for water pump failures. IN December 2019, VW added an extended warranty to your car you probably do not know about. If you take your car to the dealer for the warranty extension repair, they will probably tell that oil leaks, another VW problem, caused the pump to fail, and they won't honor the warranty. Now if you already paid to have your water pump replaced, you need to join the class-action lawsuit for compensation. It is ridiculous that a vehicle with 68,000 should need $4,000 worth of oil leaks and water pump repairs. This is another known problem that VW does not want to address so I would recommend selling that vehicle before the warranty expires.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I bought a brand new 2019 Beetle and noticed it had a bunch of things wrong right off the bat. One of the speaker lights didn't work, the manual seat sinks after a few hours, and the A/C button doesn't work properly. I am 3.5 hours away from a Volkswagen dealership so it takes me 7 hours round trip to service it. I have to do 2 seven hour trips per service because they never fix it in one day. So far I have had to make that round trip 4 times and they still have not fixed the issues other than the speaker light. I don't have time or patience anymore to take many days off for nothing. The product is poorly put together and the service is HORRIBLE, at least at South Motors in Miami, FL.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I re-titled my car from VA to IL in late 2019. After receiving my state transfer packet from VW, I called them before I went to the DMV and told them I thought I was missing a document in my packet. They assured me I had everything I needed. When I went to the DMV, they informed me I was missing a document that I told VW I needed earlier in the day. This caused a significant delay in re-titling. I had to pre-pay my taxes on the car for 2019. I submitted paperwork to VW showing that I had retitled the vehicle so I could receive a credit on the taxes I had already paid, and they told me I would have a resolution in 6-8 weeks.

It has been almost 3 months and I have still not heard back on my status. Every time I call and talk to a customer service representative, they promise me they will get an answer by the end of the day and will call me back. I have yet to receive a call back. I have absolutely had it. Their agents do not care about making sure I receive the money I am due-I truly wonder if they are just holding on to the funds from the state of VA and not forwarding them on to me. It is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I purchased a lemon. (2018 GTI Autobahn). The car has been serviced 6 times in 8 months for a faulty sunroof. The issue still remains. I filed a claim with VW corporate and it was denied. I would stay away from VW. I'm taking this as a loss. :( STAY AWAY from GTI's with SUNROOFS!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan bad experience. The Volkswagen Tiguan is the worst experience in my life. Since I bought the car after 3 months nothing but problems. The dealership gave me the customer service for Volkswagen to complaint but they did not do anything about it. I am going to trade this car. Never in my life I would never purchase another Volkswagen. The worst experience. Stay away from Volkswagen.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My VW Jetta has some trouble starting today. So I took it to VW of Coconut Creek, FL to have it checked out. They said they would charge me $138.50 for diagnosis and if I get the device done after that, they would apply this charge against the service. They found the problem with my battery and replaced it, however they didn’t deduct the diagnosis charge from final invoice. They charged me ~$300 ($147 for new battery, $138.50 for diagnosis and test shop supplies, misc and tax). When I asked, they said the$138.50 was for installing the battery and setting it up. That is just bizarre. They just made up something to charge me more. I am reporting this so people are aware of this practice and avoid using this dealer as much as possible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I had my VW Jetta for three years, the problem began when I wanted to purchase the vehicle I leased. It took 3 months of calling to get the payoff in writing. I would call VW Credit and sit on hold for at least 30 minutes, before someone would answer. If I could stay on hold that long, I work full-time, and my Mother had heart surgery, so time was not something I had a lot of. If and or when someone would answer, one of two things would happen. They would disconnect me or tell me they could not help me. Call the dealership.

I call the dealership and they tell me to call VW Credit. Finally, I got the payoff, then the check engine light comes on. Guess what happened when I took it to the dealership, the same all over again. I've been there three times with nothing in writing as to what's wrong with it. Plus an open recall that was not even addressed. I am saddened by the complete disconnect from VW. I have an appointment at a local Ford dealership, that has a former VW technician on staff to diagnose the problem. I really thought VW was a quality product, I never had this problem with a Ford.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

VW builds cars that have superior handling, above average fuel economy at a decent price. Build quality is also very good although I have had issues with leaking sunroofs on 2 wagons. On balance I still feel the overall value and driving experience are worth it to me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The car looks great on the outside, the inside as well. Very comfortable car and spacious. The drive is smooth and affordable in gas. It's not a big SUV and not too small. Enough room to fit 5 people and a large trunk. Very happy with the design of the vehicle. As for the engine, I did have a few issues. Instead of a timing belt it's a chain which needs to be changed and very costly. The pieces are ok in price but had to add some extra money on top of my payments. That was the downfall of this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A really good vehicle, just right for me. I especially like that maintenance is only once a year. One drawback is the limited cargo space. But it is easy to get in and out. I often transport elderly people to various activities. They often comment about this feature.

Volkswagen Company Information