2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (775 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

VW builds cars that have superior handling, above average fuel economy at a decent price. Build quality is also very good although I have had issues with leaking sunroofs on 2 wagons. On balance I still feel the overall value and driving experience are worth it to me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The car looks great on the outside, the inside as well. Very comfortable car and spacious. The drive is smooth and affordable in gas. It's not a big SUV and not too small. Enough room to fit 5 people and a large trunk. Very happy with the design of the vehicle. As for the engine, I did have a few issues. Instead of a timing belt it's a chain which needs to be changed and very costly. The pieces are ok in price but had to add some extra money on top of my payments. That was the downfall of this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A really good vehicle, just right for me. I especially like that maintenance is only once a year. One drawback is the limited cargo space. But it is easy to get in and out. I often transport elderly people to various activities. They often comment about this feature.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The fit and finish on my VW is on another level compared to domestics in the segment. The car has held up quite nicely. Service at the dealership is a bit pricey so I've found a good independent mechanic. Overall my Eos delivers a great experience on summer days and feels comfortable enough for long haul road trips up and down the I-5.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Love my Tiguan but I urge you to purchase a warranty. I keep my car very well maintained but there have been some costly repairs. This car is an extremely safe car. I used to see the results of some horrible accidents when I worked at a VW body shop and every person walked away.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The GTI is one of the best all around cars on the market today as far as overall versatility. It may not be the best in any singular category (performance, mpg, comfort, etc.), but it’s cumulatively better than 90-95% of the cars that it competes against. The GTI’s changes over the model years have been subtle with VW finely tuning & refining a proven & successful platform. I’ve owned cars that were more luxurious, had more performance, were much more aesthetically pleasing design-wise...yet, the 5 GTIs that I own/have owned, have never failed to provide me with an exhilarating drive.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Love my 3 year old Tiguan. Just the right size and handles beautifully. No issues so far. Great on the highway or city driving. But gas mileage could be better. All wheel drive is great for Nebraska winter. No issues getting around.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have the same issue as many other R-Line buyers. The car lots are very rude when I ask questions about it and I'm continually told that I will be contacted, however this has been over 6 months since my purchase. There needs to be some type of communication on Volkswagen's part. I am a huge fan of VW, I have had issues out of my brand new VWs in the past but they were taken care of, this is the first problem that makes me want to not ever purchase from this dealer again... Volkswagen; we just want answers. Please.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I am so unhappy with the service and the cars I've been driving. It is one problem after the other. My problem is you guys keep on fixing how many times must a new car be fixed. I changed my previous Polo for the new Polo because of the problems it gave me and the constant fixing. The new Polo is a bigger piece of rubbish with endless issues. Can you just take your car please. I'm not interested in any more fixing. I had enough. This is what I've been experiencing: wind sound problem, the brake's noise, the 2 seat belt campaigns, the handbrake campaign, an Issue with the handbrake, I had an issue with the tyre alert thing as well. It said that the left rear was low but the right rear had a puncture, And now to top it all off it's raining in at the sun visor. I was soaking wet yesterday by the time I got home from work. Please understand I do not need these kind of problems from something I pay EVERY month. I bought the car from VW at Edenvale.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I purchased the VW Passat R-Line 2019 the end of June 2019/4 months ago. The remote start does not work and the dealership said that VW is aware of the problem, and there is no fix for it at this time, and they made sure to tell me that they did not know of the problem at the time I purchase this car new (it only has 3,500 miles on it. They said that they sold a lot of these cars and only my car and one other had this issue, this is a lie, from the research and from speaking with a Customer Care Manager, all the R Lines experience this problem. These people should be ashamed of themselves, for being so dishonest. I would not buy another VW if someone paid me to, and for anyone considering this brand run for the hills. You enter the remote start sequence and the engine runs for 1 second and then turns off. How could they not be aware of this issue before they put this car on the market.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

What car only lasts 87k miles that was built in 2015? This VW Golf, and it has also had multiple issues where it leaked coolant and had to be repaired twice outside of warranty. Now the engine has failed and VWOA has left me high and dry. I will not be purchasing another VW, they have lost me as a customer. I drive 30k miles a year and purchase cars often. This is unacceptable, once I fork out more money to VW for this last repair I will be trading it in never to return.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

My Jetta just had its engine blow up essentially. There is a manufacturer defect and these should have been recalled. I was driving when the engine decided to just stop working. I could have killed someone. There is a class action lawsuit for this exact issue. When trying to get this issue resolved and get a portion covered to replace the motor, we were given the run around. We have been told that it would be 10k for a new motor. The consumer “advocate” says there is nothing they can do about it and refuses to escalate this to another individual above her pay grade. VW has poor customer service, questionable business model and just overall poor business practices. I will NEVER purchase another VW and I caution others in the purchasing of one. VW should be ashamed of how they treat the people paying their bills and feeding their families. This is NOT a company I will support or stand behind.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I had kept VW for 6 years. When you trade or lease another vehicle VW is happy. When you are done business with them, they will eat your money. I returned my Passat recently and charged me $2000 to replace their loss of vehicle value. A previous dealership didn't explain what steps I need to follow in order to return. I went to a different dealership and returned it. I asked that I have to fix anything before returning. They told me nothing I can do at this time. I was waiting for their final answer and they called an inspector to return. Of course, they didn't call me, instead, I called them what is going on.

The dealership finished its process and transported to the auction. Therefore, they charged me $2000. I looked at the list what I charged for. I understood some parts of vehicle needed to be fixed. I didn't understand how much VW charged me for tires. I replaced Michelin tires and got charged $190 each which they were not original parts. I called VW credit and they kept saying can't readjust my money. I am really disappointed with VW how they treat a customer. I guess I am not going to deal with VW anymore. I will pay money and you will lose a customer. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

@VW So here we go again with Volkswagen and their shifty business practices. I have been dealing with this problem since February. Volkswagen Drive Easy is my warranty company. I purchased their most expensive bumper to bumper extended warranty. It is the top tier level policy that they have. I paid over $4000 for it when I purchased my 2013 cc 2 years ago. It’s is a platinum bumper to bumper 36k/36 month warranty but they refuse to honor the “bumper to bumper” end of the deal. Volkswagen of Union City has been telling them for months that I need a new engine & they keep turning that down and fixing different parts of the engine instead of fixing the underlying problem. Shame on them...AGAIN!!!

What is it going to take to get them to honor their contract?? After numerous band aid fixes, they finally agree with Union City that I do indeed need a new engine. However, they are not paying for all of the labor & parts that it took, and which they demanded, to get us to this point. They expect me to pay for it. WHATTTT? Volkswagen Drive Easy needs to pay for and honor all that they asked for and agreed to. My next stop is Volkswagen Drive Easy CEO, the media and legal action. In that order. I’m sick of these slimy business practices that Volkswagen has gotten accustomed to. It needs to stop. And it needs to stop now. My car has been in the shop since Aug 5, 2019, this time around and they are only reimbursing my for 10 days or $350, if they even honor that. I’ve paid almost $3000 in rental fees waiting for my car to be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My seven year old Polo has its tapestry hanging from its ceiling. All the fabric seems to fall down, even if we keep the car protected from the sun. Unacceptable, for a car of its price and fame. The local customer service seems unwilling to do anything about it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I turned in my lease 3 months early because I was going to go over my mileage. I went in to discuss options. They told me they would waive my remaining months for buying a new vehicle with them. Now 3 month later I get an invoice for 1500 (way more than 3 payments of my lease) and VW is pawning this off on the dealership, Volkswagen Cypress, who won’t return my phone calls or emails. They are flat out scamming me! VW main office were so rude and horrible. I will never do business with them again and warn everyone to stay away from VW. The automatic responses that I have received really show this is common practice.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

We lease new Volkswagen November 2018. During a family road trip to Newfoundland one morning, there was a mosquito flying around on near the windshield inside the car. In an effort to swat the pest, the windshield was lightly hit and consequently left a crack on the windshield. Although, the night before was rainy and cold, leaving the windshield more vulnerable to cracking. It does not make it okay for the windshield to crack for such a tiny impact. This is most definitely a quality issue with the glass material that composes the windshield.

Driving 18 hours home to Toronto from Newfoundland was very unpleasant and scary from the thought of the windshield completely shattering at any moment. After coming back to Toronto, Volkswagen told us that it was our problem that we broke the windshield and that we hit it too hard. But realistically, how hard could someone possibly swat a mosquito. Customer service was very unpleasant during the process and left us very unsatisfied. I hope they can realize that their windshield quality was at fault and that they can replace the windshield with a more durable windshield to ensure my family's safety.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I love these cars, but I am not understanding how the AC system went out twice in my ownership of this car. 2017 at 75k and 2019 at 136k. What is wrong, you should recall. It was out of pocket expense for me. No extended coverage expired at 65k.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I was leaving to work today, 24 August 2019. To my surprise when I am going to rip off my car completely off. I will not start. I call immediately asking for help to road assistance from VW se. I was told that by text I would be informed at what time I would be in service. I've never arrived, never arrived, solved by a neighbour. A car that's only 1 year old with 9800 miles.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

On August 21st, 2019, I went for the regular engine oil change in Volkswagen on Barnet Highway in Coquitlam, B.C. Also they offered me free pollen filter change. After a couple of hours, they called me to get my car back. On the way back I found the service reminder on the front window has not been changed. I drove back to them and asked them if whether they really did change the engine oil. If they did it, how come did they change the reminder. I really doubted it. Also they told me that they have changed the pollen filter for me today. Actually on the paper, it showed they did not change. How did that happen? Did they really do services for the customer or just fool us around? Besides, they even did not say sorry at the beginning.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I was unemployed and needed help regarding my car payment. Volkswagen of America agreed to make one payment 15 days before my 30 day late notice which would affect my credit score. They did not make the payment in a timely manner and my credit was severely blemished. It took almost a month for the payment to be made and unbelievably they put a stop payment on the check and my credit was hit again. They then made an electronic payment. And they have allegedly let the credit bureaus know to remove the derogatory remarks. Not one person at Volkswagen of America has apologized. Awful. Will hopefully rid myself of my current VW soon. No more.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

The car itself is fine, the company is terrible. VW Credit continually screws up. It takes numerous contacts to get them to fix anything. Then they will ruin your credit rating when they mess up. Their automated system suddenly got screwed up and did not take 2 lease payments out after months with no problem. I was never notified and found out from Credit Karma when they reported it as 60 days of missed payments to the credit bureaus. I've spent literally hours over the last 6 months on the phone, copying documents, faxing, mailing and following up trying to get them to fix their mistake.

It tanked my credit rating causing me to be unable to refinance my home and lower my mortgage payment. This is just the worst of it as they have repeatedly messed up this account. VW Credit has been an absolute nightmare to deal with and I've lost hours of my life trying to get them to fix their mistakes. Never, never, never again would I have a car loan or lease with VW Credit.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I bought a 2012 Volkswagen CC 60k miles on it. Not long after I had to change a few sensors, which was ok. When it hit 100k my head gasket broke. $3.6k to fix, a few months after one of the cylinders broke and the engine needed to be replaced. Save your time and money because, VW doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

08/10/2019 Volkswagen and Audi Poor REVIEWS, 2 Volkswagen products experiences at early miles, 57,000 to 62.494 2012 Audi A4 and 2014 Volkswagen GTI, known problems by Volkswagen. I had a 2012 Audi A4 with engine light that would come on after 56,000 miles. I brought it in to 3 dealerships in Louisiana. They would tell me they didn’t understand because diagnostics says car is running smoothly. I told them, "That’s fine if it’s running smoothly, but selling a car with an engine light is a loss for me, because who wants to buy a car with an engine light." They all said, "It must be something intermittent." Lafayette, LA, Baton Rouge, LA, New Orleans, LA.

I finally brought it to a dealership in Orlando Florida. I told them to impress me. Audi was good for a next car by fixing my issue. They said, "Give us a few days to work on." I did. They charged $989. It was good for 2 months and light back on. Sold that vehicle. The problem was an intermittent overproduction of fuel that no one could fix for good.

2014 Volkswagen GTI, guess what, light came on on this one at same mileage, 57,000 to 62,494. I read up on the engine light regarding P2015 code, which is an intake manifold problem, that Volkswagen recognized as a problem, but instead of recalling, they decided to extend warranty to 120,000 miles, but only as a lottery picking of VIN numbers, so if your VIN wasn’t on list, and you had the same problem, you had to pay for this poor quality intake manifold problem. They would clean if only cleaning, $1200. If it involved the worse case, it took changing manifold, of which that would be, needless to say, much more, mind you at 60,000 miles this expensive cost. So yeah, look forward to this much expenses at this early in the life of the vehicle.

So one thing is knowing Volkswagen recognized the problem, but treated fix as only some would qualify for extended warranty, and if you experience problem and your VIN wasn’t on list you have to pay. You call Volkswagen Headquarters or customer care, because if there is a problem, and manufacturer is willing to work with you and understand extenuating circumstances, explaining you had two of their products, and they make things good and go the distance, then that’s good, because all you want is a fix/corrective action; however, when you speak to dealership and report to headquarters, and all they want to quote to you is that it’s out of their hands, that your car’s VIN # is not lucky enough to be on the list (lottery/pot luck), ... so you’re stuck with a young car with enormous expenses, after the expensive purchase was not long ago.

Yes, bad vehicles of Volkswagen, 2012 Audi A4, and 2014 Volkswagen GTI, both at range of 56,000 to 62,494 miles, you are left up the creek without a paddle and large loss of money. One never was fixed and had to sell at lesser amount because of engine light no one could do anything about. The other is just extreme expense for cleaning or replacement of intake manifold that company recognizes problems, but handles whether warranty is extended or not based on whether your car’s VIN was included, like on a lottery. Thank you. Dwayne **.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have a 2013 VW Hybrid which now needs it THIRD transmission. (1st 2 transmission @ 60+K) I contacted the Regional Manager, Jake ** who stated that all they “VW” can do for me is lower the price from 7100. to 6400. As per Jake ** his supervisor Sharon ** stands behind that decision. VW put a BAD product on the market and refuse to be an Honorable Co. and take responsibility for fixing the transmission. The CEO Hinrich J. Woebcken needs to be made aware that this is unethical. VW was a huge disappointment, totally ruined by perception of the company and the product.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I called to set up a payment on a Monday for the following Friday. The CSR even repeated the dates to me. The payment was put in for the next day instead of that Friday resulting in an overdraft with a fee. I called back on that Friday and explained what they had done and asked the CSR again if she was sure that they weren't going to try to take the first payment out again before I set up a new one. She assured me that they would not so I went ahead and set up the payment again.

Again, she was clueless because they did indeed try to now take out 2 payments! This caused another overdraft fee and a stop payment for the second payment. I called again and they stated that they needed a copy of my bank statement proving the $88.00 in fees so I faxed them the statement and called back 3 days later. The payment had not been processed and the CSR had to place me on hold for 10 minutes to go find the fax! He assured me that a check would go out to me that day. Well, that was 5 days ago so I called back today and another CSR manager apologized and stated that somehow it didn't get send to the correct department for approval so she would take care of it today. Very poor customer service to say the least and I won't be recommending them to others.

Original review: July 25, 2019

We leased a 2015 Tiguan R for three years and drove it across the US three times, with no issues. Once the lease ended, we purchased the car from Camelback VW in Scottsdale, AZ. Because we purchased it from them, they had to do a pre owned certified test, which was last July. Since then, we have had to back to them over 18 times because it keeps dying on us. For some reason they can’t figure it out. They have now fired us as a customer because we are a nuisance. Without fixing our car mind you! We love the car but wish someone would help us.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I took my VW Polo Vivo sedan 2016 model in for a 90000ks service the 1st week in July. I told the technician that there is a cluck cluck noise coming from the driver's side. Can he please check it. When I got the car back he said the battery needed to be replaced and but I could still drive the car. A week later the car wouldn't start, so took it back to the dealer that did the service and had them replace the battery. I still told him there is this cluck cluck noise. They replaced the battery and he said that he heard the noise but I can still drive the car. They picked up that an irregularity on an injector but I can still drive the car. Only when the EPC light comes on then I must bring the car in. The same day I replaced the battery while on my way home the car wouldn't go faster than 40ks and this cluck cluck noise got louder and louder, eventually the car wouldn't go anymore and I had to get towed home.

The next day I called a VW near my house and they said that they can't help me. They fully booked. They can only help me the Friday the 12Th. So I had the car towed in, the security guard at the gate closed the gate in the tow truck and let us drive around aimlessly trying to find the service department. Booked my car in and they took me home. I called in at 3pm that day to ask if they had found something and the guy said to me there is a waiting period of 24 to 48 hours for the technician to look at my car. So I called on every time to this dealer to find out what was wrong with my car.

By Tuesday the 16th they still didn't know what was wrong with my car. Wednesday the 17th they said to me the spark plug melted, they couldn't explain how that happened. So they needed me to pay a R6500 stripping fee so they could strip the engine. Thursday they came back and said that the gasket between cylinder 1 and 2 is burnt, they would get back to me with a quote.

Thursday even they came back to me with a quote of R45000 that the engine needs to be overhauled. I'm still asking how can a car go in for service and a week later the car isn't working and now the engine needs to be overhauled. I logged a complaint with VW SA and they also of no help. Both dealerships are not willing to help me. So now it's almost 3 weeks and I don't have a car, and no one is willing to help me. This whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth and I will never buy another VW in my life. I will also tell people not to buy VW's and what service they in for.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Sometime in March, 2019 I decided to bring my car in for evaluation - there was some strange rattling noise coming from the front left area around the wheel. I called the numbers listed on Island VW website and I couldn't get a hold of anyone because the line would either ring and then disconnect or go to straight to a busy line. I tried the chat on their website, but no one responded because I am guessing I was doing this at 830am. Then I called the sales number a few times and by some chance someone answered in sales and that person was the one who scheduled my appt, not the service dept. I brought my car in, I left it over the weekend for inspection, and on Sat I was called (Jimmy) and told the left axel (?) was worn off and that it needed to be replaced.

I picked up my car a few days later and the next day I heard the same noise. I thought I was imagining things so I waited until my partner drove the car and said that the issue is indeed still there. I drove for another three days just to make sure we are not going to call and complain for no reason. Once established that the issue is there, I called the dealership. Same problem again. The line rings and disconnects. OR it goes to a busy signal right away. I waited another day or so and attempted again. Same issue again. I tried the chat and demanded that someone calls me. Jimmy called and I explained my problem. I said I would like to bring my car in again because the issue hasn't been resolved.

I asked that they provide me with a loaner this time as my work demands me to travel from one clinic in the morning to another in the middle of the day. He said they didn't have any loaners. Then I asked them to cover for a rental that I would rent in order to get to work. He said that wouldn't work either. So I had to accommodate my schedule, wait until a weekend that I don't work to bring the car in. He agreed. At this point, while speaking with him, the phone disconnected twice!! So when he told me, "Call us next week when you know when you'll be able to bring the car" I explained that calling their dealership is close to impossible, as evidenced by the dropped calls.

He gave me his cell phone number and said to contact him there. And I did. Left a vm, waited several days and when no one called me, I decided to call Volkswagen America Customer Service, on 4/30 or 5/1. I spoke with a lady Renee who tried contacting the dealer herself. She ran into the same issue, the lines weren't working. So she said she would continue to call and get back to me. On 5/1 she left a vm on my cellphone, stating that she was still not able to get a hold of them but that she would be able to schedule me an appt on the website. However, at this point I had missed the weekend I was off and I needed them to provide me with a car to get to work. She said she wouldn't be able to do that online.

The next day, she called me and said her manager was able to get a hold of someone in the dealership who explained that they don't have loaner cars at that time and when one becomes available they would call me. Guess what? That call never came. At this point, I decided to call my bank and file a dispute. I have three VW at home and I will never, EVER, buy another one. I am selling them all and will be buying something else. Which is a bummer because I never had an issue with any of my cars. I bought them in Seattle, Carter VW, had the best experience with them. Everyone else related to VW was a disastrous experience.

Original review: July 14, 2019

2019 Passat R-Line Remote Start Doesn’t Work. Upgraded in February to a 2019 simply because of some special features especially the remote start. Well the remote start quit working the next day after I brought the car home. I reported it to the Dealership & Service Department & VW Customer Care & to no avail... No one has done absolutely nothing!! They say there’s an update or they’re working on to fix the issue. It’s going on 6 months after purchase & I have not heard anything from anyone. This is the first time after several Volkswagen vehicles that I ever had to return a car because something doesn’t work & have gotten nothing but the runaround. Very disappointed in VW & will probably will not be a returning customer.

Volkswagen Company Information