1.88/5
Based on 160 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Toyota Tundra

The Toyota Tundra is a full-size pickup truck. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

387 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Mid-July of this year I purchased a 2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 from Towne Toyota of Ledgewood, NJ. I made it 12 miles from the dealership when the 4 hi and 4 lo lights came on and started blinking. After bringing the truck in for warranty work, the 4x4 actuator in transfer case was replaced, drive about 5 miles from the dealership and the lights came back on. The service department is dumbfounded and wants me to leave my truck with them for multiple days, unfortunately I can’t do this unless they provide me with the same vehicle because I use the vehicle as a work truck and have it loaded with tools (welders, chip saws, pipe threaders, etc).

I spoke with Toyota corporate and the last I was told is that they are going to attempt to provide me with a truck but can’t guarantee it. This is unacceptable, I spent 47k on a new truck and any other dealership would have offered to replace the vehicle or not inconvenience me and affect my livelihood. I will not purchase or recommend another Toyota product.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is our second Toyota Tundra that we own. We needed a heavy duty truck for our job needs. This truck is primarily used in my husband's work. It's very comfortable and I occasionally drive it. Also, we get a lot of compliments on the new cement color. The seating is very comfortable and the tow capacity is definitely perfect for hauling. The tires could be a little bit more beefy but they don't seem like they will wear as well as others we have had in the past. Would purchase again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The performance of the 2016 Toyota Tundra 1794 is excellent, interior and options are exceptional, it drives and handles very well and cab space is enormous; the only small downside is the size is a little too small, but it just fits in my two car garage.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I purchased a brand new Toyota Tundra in 2015 for over 50k. The salesman tried so hard and pushed me to get an extended warranty and finally, he did. I was told that the warranty is bumper to bumper for 5 years or 75000 mile whichever comes first. I paid over $4000 for that I was happy that I am not going to spend a penny in the next 5 years. The salesman didn't tell me that this warranty is basically for the only oil change and tire rotation. Yes; you read it right. Only oil change every 10,000 miles and tire rotation. I am in the transportation business and I know everything about the cars, trucks and buses. I also know about the warranty as I am working with 3 major bus manufacturer companies. after three years and at 65,000 miles on the truck, I felt that the transmission is kicking and I asked Toyota service in Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose, Ca to check if there is a problem with the transmission.

They asked me for $200 for the diagnostic charge. Usually; they supposed to inspect the truck every 5000 miles under the warranty and the Transmission is still under the warranty but they told me that I need to pay $200 and if they find any problem with the transmission, then they will waive it. After talking to the shop manager, the salesman who sold me the warranty, his supervisor and finally the big Boss, they waved that charge and they called me after 4 hours that the car is ready and they didn't find any problem with Transmission. I am %100 sure that there is a problem with this transmission but because of they don't want to spend money to fix the vehicle under the warranty, they tell you there is no problem with the vehicle, but when the warranty is gone, they give you a huge list of the problems and a huge bill!!!

I am writing this review to just let the people know that, the Toyota warranty is just waste of the money and there is not really warranty on your vehicle. I spend over 3 hours and I got a lot of headaches to let them know that you can't charge me because of the warranty that I paid three years ago. I love Toyota but unfortunately, I will not buy any more Toyota because of the trouble customer service and a bad experience I had with them. Again; I love Toyota but don't waste your money for extended warranty!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've wanted a Tundra since the new body style came out in '07. I absolutely love my new truck and am looking forward to years of driving it. I'm sure it will last me into the 200k mile area at least and it will still be beautiful when it gets there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tundra?

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax. The interior has plenty of room for tall people in the front and back seating. Fuel economy is on the higher side for a truck this size. Dependable is without question. Towing is with ease and there is plenty of space for storage for paperwork in this model.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle from Toyota auto mall of Ga, I traded in a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax XR5 for the truck with issues. The new truck after driving off the lot had a pulsation when the brake pedal was pushed and I contacted the dealer with my concern, it felt as if my concern was blown off with and they simply stated the tires have some wear which caused that issue. The tires were scheduled to be replaced as per my purchase agreement which was taken care of with 4 new tires instead of 2 since the tires on the truck where discontinued. When I dropped off the truck I explained to the service writer that the pulsation was only noticed when the brake pedal was pushed and that was not a tire issue. I also explained that the vehicle inter-dependent inspection report which was left in the truck with the Tech requesting the rotors to be machined or replaced and that the tires should be replaced.

The service writer blew this off as just basic suggestions and the gm signed off that these were NOT to be done. Nevertheless the rotors were machined and no pulsating was noticed within normal city driving. On the highway though after a few heat cycles the pulsating was back. I brought the truck in for an oil leak I now noticed on the passenger side cam tower and also told the service writer about the pulsating brakes again. I then called Toyota Customer relations to open a case and found out the truck is not showing to be a certified pre-owned, I contacted the dealer and the used vehicle manager stated it was paid to be certified. I requested to speak to the manager of the dealer and when I did he told me that they have already given me new tires what else do I want? At this point I did not know what to say, I voiced my concern and also told him there is a concern about rust on the undercarriage of truck.

At this point I was text a copy of the receipt from the dealer paying for the certification and also noticed I was charged for an extended warranty I did not want or need since I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle. I was not addressed about the extra charge and the Manager stated he will reverse this, which was NEVER done. By this time Toyota Customer relations case manager called me back and stated that the Tech states there is no concern about rust seen and the vehicle certification just has not updated in the system. The case manager then stated he is standing by the dealer's tech evaluation since he is a certified technician. I am completely disgusted by this experience, this is my third Tundra I have owned and now I don't want to purchase Tundra. I work in the corporate office of another OEM as a technical specialist and there is no way I would allow a customer to be treated in this manner.

If my company made a vehicle of this size I would not hesitate to buy it but I have always been fond of Toyota Tundras until this experience. The rotors on all four wheels have significant rust and deterioration in the vents of the rotors, the passenger side cam tower that was re-sealed is leaking oil again and the brakes pulsate. The charge for the extended warranty was never reversed and I have called about this and never received a callback. I am at a loss; never will I do business from AutoNation Toyota Mall of Georgia again. Toyota themselves is not questionable based on how I was treated with from customer relations case manager. I unfortunately know the amount of erroneous calls to CR from customers looking for handouts but I am not looking for a handout, I want this Truck to be repaired to the specs it should have been when I pulled off the lot May 1st 2017.

This truck spent approx. 3 wks. in the shop a week after I purchased it, it a great feeling to make payments on something you are not even driving. It's an even worse feeling to be blown off by the dealer you purchased the vehicle from and the automaker themselves. Part of my purchase agreement was to replace the 2 front tires due to visually obvious wear, tread was very close to the wear bars. Dealer was not able to order tires since the current tires were discontinued from manufacturer. Dealer did replace all four but from the previous inspection prior to my sale the tires showed wear and should have been addressed before certifying vehicle.

These all seem minimal but this is very concerning how this has all transpired. I provided photos of the cooling vents on the rotors, retail sales contract, internal inspection report from initial dealer inspection, certified pre-owned contract and repair invoice from cam tower oil leak. I currently have approx. 69000 miles on truck with original purchase mileage at 49852. I have a long commute to work and a medically sensitive toddler who is commuted back and forth from clinic visits. He had a Liver transplant at 8 months old 6-25-2016.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I’m a 3 time US Marine war veteran, I would do anything in this world to have and die in a Toyota Tundra, why you ask? This is why, during my 2nd war 1996 war in Iraq I was shot at numerous times by enemy hitting me once on my leg, as I seen a Toyota Tundra on the road and trying to get away from the Taliban, this nice man grabbed me and put me in his Toyota Tundra and took me to my base, as we were trying to get out of town we were engaged on from enemy rounds as it hit the truck many times around the engine and back of the truck which never stopped or broke down, as I was shooting back from the back of the truck, the truck was so tough that the bullets from enemy fire couldn’t even penetrate through the truck.

I was saved many times because of the Toyota Tundra and after hearing many Fellow Iraqi army friends, Toyota Tundra is a truck they could trust after never noticing no other trucks in Iraq such as the ford or Chevy or Dodge and even the GMC truck which never seen or used anywhere there, and this is why!!! They are very dependable and never break down in the middle of the desert anywhere and they can take many rounds of Enemy artillery that hit the truck and the truck kept on going, even the engine was shot at many many times... I owe Toyota my life for saving mine in order for me to now have my beautiful children who Kaylee is 7 yrs old and my son Kiko is 8 yrs old.

I now have 2 Purple Hearts for saving 3 families and my captain from enemy fire and I would love to donate my Purple Hearts to Toyota Tundra. This will prove to the world that Toyota Tundra and Tacoma’s are the best of the best with NO doubts in the world, if you could drive pass any use car dealership in this country, you will NEVER ever see a used Toyota Tundra anywhere guaranteed!! Because many people DON'T ever want to trade them in, you will see many other trucks in a dealership parking lot but never a Toyota Tundra and that’s your proof right there.

I’m 50 yrs old now and my dream truck which I know I will never own cause they are too expensive for my wallet is a brown with orange leather interior fully loaded 4 door Toyota Tundra limited truck... I cry every time I see one on the street and my kids tell me, "It’s ok dad. God will give you that truck one day," and I cry every time my kids tell me that. People Toyota Tundra is the best dependable outlasting truck in the world today. I would even do a commercial for Toyota Tundra as a war vet just so the world Would know how a war veteran would die and wanted to be Buried in my Toyota Tundra when I die. Since this truck saved my life.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I would just like to state my dissatisfaction with how Toyota responded to an issue I had on my 2011 Tundra. The bed of my truck was rusting out in the common places where Toyota issued a TSB on many years of the Tundra. My truck was 1.5 years out of their considered warranty and they offered 30% of a $7000 repair to fix the problem. The repair had to meet their requirement or they wouldn't offer the 30%. I then asked if they would contribute any money towards the purchase of a new truck and their offering was actually less than what they offered to fix my current truck. If this is how Toyota wants to treat their customers I will be driving another brand of truck.

In my opinion Toyota missed the mark on this situation knowing they had an issue with their trucks rusting out just after the 5 year mark. Then they stand firm on the fact that it is out of the offered warranty. If there wasn't a known issue for the bed rust then things would be different. Toyota should have fixed these issues at 100% of the repair cost if they do in fact think they build a quality truck. Poor design and sub-par materials make for a less than superior product. Since talking with my Toyota dealership and customer care I decided to move on to another brand of truck and will not be looking back. This was my first Toyota truck and will most likely be my last simply because the company would not stand behind their product.

Original review: July 14, 2017

2010 Tundra with less than 20K miles. It has a big rust area in the bed and I have had a Toyota bed liner in it the whole time I have own it... since it was new off lot. Toyota said "That's too bad. It's out of warranty" and I said it's a quality problem. The rust and hole came from the bottom up... it's a quality issue.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My problem with my 2012 Tundra started at a very low mileage interval. So to make it brief, the motor would code out and go into safe/crawl mode displaying the "4 LO" light and also the "service engine" icon. I cannot go over like 4 miles per hour and it seems like I am in 4LO the entire time. So, a charcoal canister $1,200.00 did not fix it, 30 miles later light came on, a EVAP motor and Pump did not fix it $530.00, Now TOYOTA is telling me I need a $3,200.00 evap entire wiring harness, and this will "fix it" guaranteed. I am so mad I could burst. Looking to hear from others if they have experienced this.

Original review: May 23, 2017

When my wife and I were looking to replace our Dodge, we had two options. The first was the Chevy Silverado and the second was the Toyota Tundra. Just like everyone else, we ended up going with the Toyota Tundra due to Toyota's reputation and the fact that the company I worked for was a supplier of a major component. The Tundra is a 2008 with about 60,000 miles on. Since we've owned the vehicle, we've had more than our share of issues. These include:

1) Front axle needed to be rebuilt. This was done under warranty. 2) Water pump failed shortly after the warranty expired. 3) Everyone should be familiar with the highly talked about gas pedal sticking recall. 4) Rear bearings (yes, I said bearings. That's both sides) failure. Despite my finding a service bullet Toyota published, articles specifically pointing to the issue being a Toyota design flaw and the dealer indicating that they installed upgraded bearings as part of the repair, I was still responsible for the clear majority of the repair cost. The dealer helped and provided the next largest portion and Toyota provided a whopping $400 to the over $2,000 repair.

5) The fifth item is the most recent item that I have yet to do anything about would be the rusty frame issue. I haven't done anything as I have yet to receive the recall notice, but was told by my dealer that my vehicle was included. Based on what I've seen and heard, I'm also not excited with either of Toyota's suggested fixes.

The company that I worked for was the supplier of the frame. In my opinion, the suggested repairs that Toyota is pursuing does not represent what they should be doing. I understand that all vehicle manufacturers have issue. What drives my next purchase decision is how that manufacture resolves those issues. Based on the recent frame issue, I've been working with my dealer to find a solution and my dealer, Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo, MI, has gone above and beyond. I've seen little support from Toyota and the support I have seen (The $400 for an issue that was theirs) was a joke. When the truck bearings failed, my wife and I were looking at a Camry for her daily driver. We ended up with a Subaru. Both our parents are also now looking for new cars. My mother-in-law will most likely be going from her RAV4 to a Subaru Forester. I'm not sure what my parents will do, but they and others have seen my frustrations with Toyota.

I don't think that will be a direction they will be going. It's not about the vehicles as I love the style and feel of the Tundra's and Camry's. It's about the after sales support and the owning up to their mistakes. As children, this is one of the first things we learn. I would expect nothing less from a large corporation such as Toyota. If you read this Toyota, be thankful that you have great dealers, such as Metro Toyota. Unfortunately, they can only do so much. They've worked with me in offering me a more than a fair trade in value for my truck, but we're still ~$5,000 away from trying to bring this to an acceptable resolution.

Original review: April 5, 2017

2016 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition - First issue I believe to be suspension related. Truck hits a bump and shakes... a lot. Sometimes a full 5+ seconds after. Brought it to multiple dealerships, multiple technicians say it's normal. Tundra's are just a really rough ride. Second, the rear window. Absolutely love that it goes down all the way but there's probably a reason not all truck manufacturers do this. It sounds like the world is coming to an end. There is a VERY loud grinding/squeaking noise that happens as the truck bounces. Dealership again says this is normal; there is only one bracket that holds it in place and so if the window isn't up all the way it moves around a lot. Other issues exist but those are the two that would keep me from buying another Tundra. 10,000 kms on this thing and it drives and sounds like it's 30 years old.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I just got off the phone with a case manager name Marquita from Toyota. I had called three days earlier and was told a case manager would call. I received no phone call, and had to call them myself. My Tundra is one of the vehicles affected by the lack frame protection resulting in a severely rusty frame. I had the frame inspected by a local Toyota dealer and was told that the undercoating that was meant to solve the problem was poorly applied. Huge chunks are my frame are falling off and the frame is exposed causing it to continue to rust. The master technician brought me back to show how the frame was not originally prepped and the undercoating was thinly applied.

So back to the conversation with the case manager. Marquita proceeded to tell me the undercoating was a one time remedy to the frame rust problem. Whether or not the undercoating was done well or not, Toyota is not willing to rectify a poorly done "solution". The same rusty frame is under all the slime they applied and now it is going to continue to get worse. This is a known issue, and I believe Toyota sued the manufacturer of the frames. And me and the other owners are left to rust.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017 I purchased this 2016 Toyota Tundra 4/4 Crew Cab in July 2016. I have had it in the Service Dept on numerous occasions. Below are a list of Problems... This vehicle now only has 6,000 miles. Brake Booster Replacement, Brake Rotor Replacement, Seat stitching have come Apart 3 Times, Antenna Come Loose, Fender Flare Come Loose, Towing Brake Control Does Not Work Properly, Brakes Have a Burning Smell, Numerous Tire Balances to no Avail. Still Shaking

TPSM Light Comes on.

I have two XSP Tire Wheel Package and, My Vehicle has been Shaking in the SEATS, FLOOR, STEERING WHEEL and GAS PEDAL. The Service Dept. told me that it's the XSP Tire and Wheel Package. And, that and Tundra WILL SHAKE WITH THAT PACKAGE SO AS LONG AS THAT XSP PACKAGE is on that Tundra. Well, why does Toyota keep installing tire and wheel packages that makes their vehicles shake/vibrate. If you Google Toyota SHAKING/VIBRATION you will see that it's happening in many different Models and nothing is being done. Toyota Claims the SHAKING/VIBRATION IS A VEHICLE CHARACTERISTIC. WOW!!! Please Google before you buy a Toyota product.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

My 2005 Tundra has 38,000 miles and was recalled for the "service campaign" of re-coating frame due to rust. Promptly got this done and within 4 months huge pieces were peeling off. Notified dealership, took in to be looked at and they said this was a one time coating and nothing else could be done. Opened a case with Toyota headquarters - nothing. 1 year later shifting cable AND brake lines break - private mechanic said due to severe rusting. Back to dealership, NOW they offer to re-scrape undercarriage and reapply coating along with $6000 estimate of other repairs/maintenance needed. Supervisor showed me underneath truck when up on lift and it looks like it has been sitting in salt water-rusting. It's that bad. Dealership also stated that they rate the rust condition on the vehicles from 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 the best. He stated when my vehicle initially came in it was rated a 3!

I WAS NEVER INFORMED THAT THIS VEHICLE WAS IN THAT BAD OF SHAPE! I expected the dealership to let me know of any concerns after the initial coating! My truck has now been at the dealership for almost 3 weeks in trying to resolve - I believe more than a rescrape and recoating is needed. I am so incredibly disappointed in the handling of this situation and the hush-hush attitude of Toyota and the dealerships about how bad this problem is! I have owned 4 Toyotas and am no longer a loyal fan. Help!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

I had a 2000 Tacoma 189,000 miles on. It ran great. Everything was good. One day coming from work hit a curb started driving funny. I was going to take it to a mechanic. Started looking at it I noticed my whole frame was cracked. I got frame cancer. I called Toyota. they know of the problem but my truck was too old they didn't care if my frame broke and I killed myself or somebody else. So I was stuck with my truck. Can't drive it. Can't sell it. Had to part it out. I started investigating and almost every Toyota has this problem and Toyota knows all about it. So if you are buying a Toyota make sure you get it checked out. I will never buy a piece of ** Toyota again. I bought a Chevy. so I hope you read this and think twice about getting a Toyota.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I recently bought a 2003 Toyota Tundra sr5 with 89000 miles on it. Now having owned a few Toyota cars in the past I was pretty certain the money was well spent. Unfortunately for me I was wrong. It seems that Toyota has some serious issues with the frames of their trucks. Had I known I need to climb under the truck and inspect the whole frame before buying it I would have bought a Chevy. After having lost my steering I took into the shop only to find out the front chassis had completely rotted out. And having to tow it to another shop to be told the same thing the mechanics explained it was very odd to only have 1 portion of the frame rot out while the most exposed areas of the frame were still in ideal conditions. So like most people I jumped on the Internet to find the 2003 Tundra had a lot of problems with the frames (so did the tacomas, both from 1998-2015).

Once I contacted Toyota customer service told me my truck was inspected 5 yrs ago and not 1 concern was found. I then asked for a detail invoice of what was done. I was sent chasing my own tail when nobody from Toyota would give me a straight answer. I now have to spend another $2000+ to get a truck that should have lasted me another 200,000 miles while Toyota customer service washes their hands clean of any responsibility. For those of you who are looking for a good reliable truck new or used stay away from Toyota. Their engines might last but if there's nothing holding it up what's the point. Toyota trucks and the customer service reps have fallen far where they used to be.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

This was the 2nd Tundra Crewmax that I bought new. The quality from the 2011 to 2017 has greatly decreased. One of the nice features of the Crewmax was that the back seat reclined, not anymore for the 2016-2017. The child seat latching system in the back flawed. Because the seat no longer slides or folds forward they have a nylon strap directly behind the headrest in which you put your car seat strap through then you have to go to the center of the backseat to attach to another strap. This puts sideways pressure on the car seat, not backwards force which is needed in my opinion.

The carpet is something you would find as a bed liner. It is cheap and will wear out with minimal use. All the storage space you once loved is now gone. The 2017 will be the last Toyota I ever buy and I strongly suggest that if you're considering a Toyota to look at every detail before making a decision. If the dealership would take it back I would happily return it for may 2011 model.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I own a 2006 Toyota Tundra and absolutely love and trust this truck. I bought it used in Fort Wayne Indiana with 38,000 miles. I take care of my vehicles. Oil changes regularly (Royal Purple synthetic), regular maintenance is done as well. Two recalls and a Toyota service notice have been taken care of. Recalls were lower ball joints. Toyota covered this with no problems. Frame inspection recall. Mine had no issues. Tensioner belt assembly issue. I paid for that. Currently have 119,000 miles as of 11/8/2016. Changes I have made, removed the muffler for a more rumbling sound, leveling kit, 285 sized tires, cold air intake, replaced the radiator (very easy to do) along with temp sensor and thermostat.

Fuel pump and starter are still good. The starter is buried in the engine and will cost $700 plus when time to replace. I have replaced the stab links and stabilizer bar bushings. Wheel bearings no issues with those yet. I replaced the front shocks within the strut at 100k. Timing belt, water pump and belts were replaced at 98k miles as a precaution for $750. Timing belt still looked new. Tech said could of went another 30k miles easy. Drive shaft, no issues, 4wd never an issue. Replaced all the gearing oils front, rear and transfer case with Royal Purple synthetic. Replaced rear supports for the tailgate. Most likely will never buy anything but a Tundra ever again. I get my truck oil sprayed yearly. After 10 years, this truck can be mistaken for new. Satisfied customer here.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

In 2010 I purchased a Toyota Tundra thinking that this company would stand behind their vehicles. This company has had and still does have a problem with the secondary air system. They have extended the warranty for this system admitting that they have a problem. This is an expensive fix for consumers over $4000.00 and still no recall from this company to fix the problem. Without this fix you are unable to get an inspection because it is an emission problem. Consumer beware that you will have this problem if you keep your vehicle for over the extended warranty time allowed.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

Have a 2016 Toyota Tundra with 7000 miles on it, purchased new. The transmission started slipping on it so had it towed into dealership. They stated it had slippage codes in computer so they would need to put new one in but would not cover it under warranty. They said at sometime the rear wheels were spinning faster than the front is why. I do not understand how that deems it unwarrantable.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

My first new 1987 Dodge pickup mostly junk. Then a new 98 Ford 4WD Lariat, a bit better but had inadequate brake issues and transfer case sticking problems. At 5 years old couldn't wait to get rid of vehicles. Bought a new 2003 Tundra and has been almost like a fine Swiss watch. Had to have the fuel filler neck replaced because the old necks in this model year was causing a sensor light to come on in the cab. I live in AZ so body rust not a problem. Because I let the truck go to log without replacing front shocks I had to have some minor work done. Other than that and new batteries can't think of anything I have had to have done. One thing that is annoying every time I schedule service with Toyota they practically beg me to sell. From what I understand somewhere in the 2001 to 2005 range are the best model years. I'm tall so I have to hunch a bit to get under the top of the door jam but there is plenty of head room inside.

About 2004 I think they put in taller cabs and offered 4 door models. I like mine cause it looks sleeker with the shorter cab. It runs off the line like a bat out of hell nearing 5 second zero to 60 time.. Though I did get in one minor accident I got it back to still looking practically new. I just cancelled my Service appt yesterday cause someone at the dealer called hours after I made the appt asking all kinds of weird questions that seemed unusual. The fact they want me to sell every time I make an appt.

If you have one of these coveted model years try to keep it unless you're having lots of problems. I don't like the new Tundra - way too big unless you want to tow with them. If you want to see the fastest pickup ever made GOOGLE it. ON the site I found it had the 10 fastest pick ups ranging back 20-30 years. There is a Tundra model forget the name (a standard cab) that they claimed could stay right up with any Italian sports car model off the line.

Original review: July 7, 2016

I bought a 2006 Tundra a few years ago and got the vehicle nicely washed and polished at a dealership in Tucson. After about 10 washes the paint disappeared on the hood and roof. I contacted the dealership and they accused me I did the damage probably myself and refused to fix the issue. I wrote Toyota and got no help whatsoever - no surprise. Well, that's just an optical issue. Later I got 2 recalls and went to a dealership in Sierra Vista to get the recalls taken care off. The service guy was just laughing and said Toyota "might" have the parts for the repair late Summer 2016. Called today - nothing. Recently the truck starts to overheat, driving in city traffic. Since I got it, the ac won't blow cold in slow traffic.

Toyota is only interested in quick sales. There is no customer care. Also the repair prices in their dealership are outrageous. I had the U-joints changed and Toyota dealer wanted $1200. Got this fixed at a local car service shop for $380 including parts. Never ever will I buy any Toyota product again. For the same money you can get a high quality German product. I am just waiting for the Mercedes Benz Pick-up to come out next spring and these arrogant Toyota guys can kiss me goodbye.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I just purchased a 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 4 days ago, after waiting for it for over 6 weeks. This morning, when I was familiarizing myself with my brand new truck, I discovered that the spare tire is an 18-inch Michelin while the ones on the truck are 20-inch Bridgestones. My suspicion was that the tires were swapped at the dealership from Michelins to Bridgestones and that whoever did it did not even bother with the spare. The dealership salesman I dealt with said there may have been a mistake installing the wrong size, wrong brand spare. But who would make a mistake like this - The Toyota people at the factory?

If this is the case, what other incorrect parts were installed? This to me is indicative of a very ineffective Quality Control - let the customer find out the defects years later after the warranty expired, or God forbid, after a major breakdown, and then they tell you you're SOL. Less than 1 week and I'm already regretting my decision to buy Toyota. Anyone out there has had the same experience?

Original review: June 6, 2016

I have a 2006 Tundra and am very dissatisfied with it. I own a farm, and I expect a truck to perform. With 33,000 miles, I noticed transmission oil leaking from the bell housing where the front drive shaft connects to the transmission. There is no way to check for low oil because the transmission is sealed with no oil stick (how stupid!). The dealer changed the seal under warranty, but the mechanic admitted the seal he took out looked good. The only way to truly fix the problem was to also change the drive shaft also, but the dealer did not. About 50,000 miles later, and I now have the same problem. At 40,000 miles the tailgate would not open and shut. When I removed the tailgate panel, the piano wire and Teflon bushings looked like parts out of a cracker jack box. I was shocked at the flimsiness of the parts. For a farmer, a truck without a tailgate is like a bird dog without a nose.

Toyota company was rude and refused to fix the drive train problem, even though the problem was really never fixed under warranty. I now have to pay $1600 for a new drive shaft and cannot be certain it will fix the problem, because others on the internet have encountered the same problem and a new drive shaft and seal still did not fix the problem. I have bought Toyotas for years on my farm, and years ago they were the best. My wife and I (and my friends) have now switched to Hondas, and we are getting 500,000 miles and more without any power train or engine problems. I have a motto on my farm, "if it is diesel, I buy a Kubota, if it is gasoline, I buy a Honda". Honda and Kubota is what Toyota used to be, and even better. I am writing this to warn others that Toyota has really gone down in quality. Stay away from Tundras, and if you don't believe me, simply Google "Tundra drive shaft problems" on the internet.

Original review: May 21, 2016

Have a 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with severe Bed rust with 45000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and they said they can do nothing about it, call Toyota customer service hq's. Well we know how that went. "Sorry you are over the 5 year limit." This a known problem with their trucks and they chose to do nothing about it. I don't care if it is 9 years old, there should be not rust like that at this age. Also had to have the water pump replaced at 44000 miles. Not under warranty. Another known problem with all Toyotas they just say normal wear and tear. So much for the great Toyota reliability they keep advertising. Found out about the rust just in time to stop the wife from buying a new Camry xle. Will never buy another Toyota.

Original review: May 12, 2016

I own a Toyota Tundra truck which I purchased new. There were serious issues with the truck and apparently there were recalls which I did not get. The entire drive train is badly rusted and the vehicle is not safe to drive. It only has 17,900 miles on it. Toyota is not willing to take responsibility for the vehicle and their representative has been quite rude each time I have called. The cost of the needed repairs is approx. $6,000.00.

In addition, I purchased the vehicle so I could install a plow as I have nearly a mile of driveway to clear after snow storms. I was told by the dealer I could install a plow before I bought the vehicle. The next day I called several plow companies who informed me the truck is not capable of supporting a plow. Toyota is not willing to do anything about the recalls despite my efforts. They were actually quite rude and not helpful at all. Please think twice before you buy Toyota. The trucks are not well built and rust is a serious problem. I will be seeking legal council to resolve this matter.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I bought a 2014 Toyota Tundra. It is already rusting and while driving I feel as if the engine is starting to go bad in little ways. I got suckered into overpaying for the truck from a dealership and have regretted buying it ever since. Only 40 thousand miles.

Original review: April 12, 2016

My grandmother recently purchased a used 2000 Toyota Tundra from my son. Not knowing the extent of the undercarriage rust. I had the vehicle inspected and it failed. I looked into a recall that I was notified of and took it to my local Toyota dealership. They then tell me that there is nothing they can do about the rust because the warranty had ran out on 3/31/16 for the campaign and they were not provided the chemicals nor the equipment to apply the corrosive preventer, that if I wanted it fixed I should take it back to New Jersey where it was originally purchased. I contacted Toyota and their statement was, "well if the inspector says it does not need a new frame then there is nothing we can do, and only cold climate states have the corrosive chemicals." If you are going to make and sell vehicles they should stand by their product and fix their screw ups. Very disappointed in Toyota and their customer service.

Not sure about Toyota Tundra?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Toyota Tundra Company Information

www.toyota.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business