Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.87/5
Based on 163 reviews that contain star ratings

Toyota Tundra

The Toyota Tundra is a full-size pickup truck. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

390 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

The truck is 10 years old and only has 65,000 miles on it. I've taken great care of it in hopes it would last, including underbody spray washing in the winter. Got a recall notice about frame rust. Dealership inspected and said it wasn't bad enough to require replacement under warranty. Two weeks later, the gas tank fell out on the road while I was driving. Shop says it wasn't the tank straps. The frame the straps are attached to has rusted out. Why can't Toyota get on top of these rust problems? I had a Tacoma in the 1990s that the frame also rusted through. Next truck will definitely be a different brand.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Recently bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra Limited. After 80 miles, nothing but problems with everything to include the warranty to comes it. Made 27 trips worth over 540 miles to the dealership (Foss Toyota) to have these issues fixed with only two things replaced. They come with excuses and no fixes. The worst thing is with all the safety innovations, the truck almost killed total of 9 people, in two separate instances. Should have known that a company that can't build a dash, can't build a safety system either.

They did not plug in a connection plug all the way and could not see the temperature gauge or the cruise control display on the dash. After setting it the old way, with no display on dash, truck accelerated to over 90 mph in a corner and almost went off a 30 foot cliff. In the other instance, while on my way back to Wyoming in July, with cruise control set at 80mph, came over a hill and had a vehicle, 75 yards a head of me in the slow lane, pull into my lane to pass a diesel truck, causing my truck to spontaneously slam on the breaks. I was on about 20 yards onto 4 inches of frozen hail covered the road. The vehicle went into 80mph spins. Toyota safety system is going to kill people.

With more problems with the safety system, every time I come up to a cattle guard or a water gutter in the road, my truck sounds off alarms, telling me to brake. The stereo is pointless, 12 speakers including a subwoofer and my cellphone sounds better. Even after they replaced it. It took three months and over 8 times to the dealership before they replaced it. Since new stereo, still has the same problems, like won't connect to blue tooth, low sound, subwoofer not working, no display at all. Boy I am glad I got 3 months of Sirius XM for free because I did not have a stereo that you could listen to it. Toyota will not fix it. Numerous times, bluetooth does not work, so hands free does not work. All these times, have been proven to the service manager with zero cares or concerns about my satisfaction. Toyota still has not fixed all the issues with the stereo.

When the AC is turned on, it fills the cab with a pungent order of mold. Toyota will not fix it. The rear bumper plastic flaps that caused Foss Toyota in Casper Wy to replace it. After they replaced it, they plastic lines have unequal gaps in the pieces. Toyota will not fix it. The dash is unacceptable, more curves in it than the all the contestants on the biggest looser combined. You can see under the foam in places. When I bought the truck, the dash did not look like it. It was brought to my attention from friend. I asked the dealership, (Groove Toyota in Denver Co) and he said it would be covered under the warranty. I also noticed when they pulled it from the back that there were towels in the window. By the time I got back to Casper Wyoming, the dash had numerous waves in it.

Driving down a dirt road, dust fills the cab when all the windows are up. Toyota will not fix it. There is water in the doors constantly. Now with the winter months, the water freezes and breaks off causing it to rattle when driving. Toyota will not fix it. There is a gap in the driver's tail light, thats causes my truck to whistle while driving down the road. There is a gap between the light and the truck bed. Toyota will not fix it.

Now with the winter months upon us, the heater cannot warm the vehicle up. Maybe the heat is leaving the vehicle through the spaces that the dust is coming in. The switch to change the setting from floor to mid chest area to front windshield does not work. Just a little air goes out all the places. Even with all the front vents closed, the same amount air comes from all three areas. Maybe the button to switch the position is only there for looks. The hot air that comes from the top of the dash cannot even melt snow or ice on the front windshield. Maybe, my curved dash is blocking the air from reaching the windshield. After feeling the air come out, it is not enough to melt the snow. Farts have more heat and airflow than the Toyota Tundra heating system. I am betting that Toyota will not fix this issue either.

Foss Toyota of Casper Wyoming, I think has an issue with fixing my truck because I did not buy from them. I saved over $14,000 dollar by traveling 4 hours south to buy my truck. Every time I take my truck to them, they compare it other Tundras on the lot. All with the same result as they say. I keep telling them they are wrong and the ones on the lot are a lot better than my lemon. Numerous emails to Toyota Service care has proven that they don't care. I have been a die hard Toyota fan since owning my first Toyota in 1990. I have had more problems with my truck in the first 800 miles with this 2018 Tundra then I have with my 8 other Toyotas and 900,000 miles. I am to the point of seeking a lawyer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Recently purchased Tundra and have 2 times back to service for steering wheel of center and alignment. Problem started right after 100 hundred miles. And still not right after two times service. I have now 2000 miles and now is piling to the right.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Mid-July of this year I purchased a 2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 from Towne Toyota of Ledgewood, NJ. I made it 12 miles from the dealership when the 4 hi and 4 lo lights came on and started blinking. After bringing the truck in for warranty work, the 4x4 actuator in transfer case was replaced, drive about 5 miles from the dealership and the lights came back on. The service department is dumbfounded and wants me to leave my truck with them for multiple days, unfortunately I can’t do this unless they provide me with the same vehicle because I use the vehicle as a work truck and have it loaded with tools (welders, chip saws, pipe threaders, etc).

I spoke with Toyota corporate and the last I was told is that they are going to attempt to provide me with a truck but can’t guarantee it. This is unacceptable, I spent 47k on a new truck and any other dealership would have offered to replace the vehicle or not inconvenience me and affect my livelihood. I will not purchase or recommend another Toyota product.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is our second Toyota Tundra that we own. We needed a heavy duty truck for our job needs. This truck is primarily used in my husband's work. It's very comfortable and I occasionally drive it. Also, we get a lot of compliments on the new cement color. The seating is very comfortable and the tow capacity is definitely perfect for hauling. The tires could be a little bit more beefy but they don't seem like they will wear as well as others we have had in the past. Would purchase again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tundra?

Original review: May 9, 2018

The performance of the 2016 Toyota Tundra 1794 is excellent, interior and options are exceptional, it drives and handles very well and cab space is enormous; the only small downside is the size is a little too small, but it just fits in my two car garage.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I purchased a brand new Toyota Tundra in 2015 for over 50k. The salesman tried so hard and pushed me to get an extended warranty and finally, he did. I was told that the warranty is bumper to bumper for 5 years or 75000 mile whichever comes first. I paid over $4000 for that I was happy that I am not going to spend a penny in the next 5 years. The salesman didn't tell me that this warranty is basically for the only oil change and tire rotation. Yes; you read it right. Only oil change every 10,000 miles and tire rotation. I am in the transportation business and I know everything about the cars, trucks and buses. I also know about the warranty as I am working with 3 major bus manufacturer companies. after three years and at 65,000 miles on the truck, I felt that the transmission is kicking and I asked Toyota service in Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose, Ca to check if there is a problem with the transmission.

They asked me for $200 for the diagnostic charge. Usually; they supposed to inspect the truck every 5000 miles under the warranty and the Transmission is still under the warranty but they told me that I need to pay $200 and if they find any problem with the transmission, then they will waive it. After talking to the shop manager, the salesman who sold me the warranty, his supervisor and finally the big Boss, they waved that charge and they called me after 4 hours that the car is ready and they didn't find any problem with Transmission. I am %100 sure that there is a problem with this transmission but because of they don't want to spend money to fix the vehicle under the warranty, they tell you there is no problem with the vehicle, but when the warranty is gone, they give you a huge list of the problems and a huge bill!!!

I am writing this review to just let the people know that, the Toyota warranty is just waste of the money and there is not really warranty on your vehicle. I spend over 3 hours and I got a lot of headaches to let them know that you can't charge me because of the warranty that I paid three years ago. I love Toyota but unfortunately, I will not buy any more Toyota because of the trouble customer service and a bad experience I had with them. Again; I love Toyota but don't waste your money for extended warranty!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've wanted a Tundra since the new body style came out in '07. I absolutely love my new truck and am looking forward to years of driving it. I'm sure it will last me into the 200k mile area at least and it will still be beautiful when it gets there.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax. The interior has plenty of room for tall people in the front and back seating. Fuel economy is on the higher side for a truck this size. Dependable is without question. Towing is with ease and there is plenty of space for storage for paperwork in this model.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle from Toyota auto mall of Ga, I traded in a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax XR5 for the truck with issues. The new truck after driving off the lot had a pulsation when the brake pedal was pushed and I contacted the dealer with my concern, it felt as if my concern was blown off with and they simply stated the tires have some wear which caused that issue. The tires were scheduled to be replaced as per my purchase agreement which was taken care of with 4 new tires instead of 2 since the tires on the truck where discontinued. When I dropped off the truck I explained to the service writer that the pulsation was only noticed when the brake pedal was pushed and that was not a tire issue. I also explained that the vehicle inter-dependent inspection report which was left in the truck with the Tech requesting the rotors to be machined or replaced and that the tires should be replaced.

The service writer blew this off as just basic suggestions and the gm signed off that these were NOT to be done. Nevertheless the rotors were machined and no pulsating was noticed within normal city driving. On the highway though after a few heat cycles the pulsating was back. I brought the truck in for an oil leak I now noticed on the passenger side cam tower and also told the service writer about the pulsating brakes again. I then called Toyota Customer relations to open a case and found out the truck is not showing to be a certified pre-owned, I contacted the dealer and the used vehicle manager stated it was paid to be certified. I requested to speak to the manager of the dealer and when I did he told me that they have already given me new tires what else do I want? At this point I did not know what to say, I voiced my concern and also told him there is a concern about rust on the undercarriage of truck.

At this point I was text a copy of the receipt from the dealer paying for the certification and also noticed I was charged for an extended warranty I did not want or need since I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle. I was not addressed about the extra charge and the Manager stated he will reverse this, which was NEVER done. By this time Toyota Customer relations case manager called me back and stated that the Tech states there is no concern about rust seen and the vehicle certification just has not updated in the system. The case manager then stated he is standing by the dealer's tech evaluation since he is a certified technician. I am completely disgusted by this experience, this is my third Tundra I have owned and now I don't want to purchase Tundra. I work in the corporate office of another OEM as a technical specialist and there is no way I would allow a customer to be treated in this manner.

If my company made a vehicle of this size I would not hesitate to buy it but I have always been fond of Toyota Tundras until this experience. The rotors on all four wheels have significant rust and deterioration in the vents of the rotors, the passenger side cam tower that was re-sealed is leaking oil again and the brakes pulsate. The charge for the extended warranty was never reversed and I have called about this and never received a callback. I am at a loss; never will I do business from AutoNation Toyota Mall of Georgia again. Toyota themselves is not questionable based on how I was treated with from customer relations case manager. I unfortunately know the amount of erroneous calls to CR from customers looking for handouts but I am not looking for a handout, I want this Truck to be repaired to the specs it should have been when I pulled off the lot May 1st 2017.

This truck spent approx. 3 wks. in the shop a week after I purchased it, it a great feeling to make payments on something you are not even driving. It's an even worse feeling to be blown off by the dealer you purchased the vehicle from and the automaker themselves. Part of my purchase agreement was to replace the 2 front tires due to visually obvious wear, tread was very close to the wear bars. Dealer was not able to order tires since the current tires were discontinued from manufacturer. Dealer did replace all four but from the previous inspection prior to my sale the tires showed wear and should have been addressed before certifying vehicle.

These all seem minimal but this is very concerning how this has all transpired. I provided photos of the cooling vents on the rotors, retail sales contract, internal inspection report from initial dealer inspection, certified pre-owned contract and repair invoice from cam tower oil leak. I currently have approx. 69000 miles on truck with original purchase mileage at 49852. I have a long commute to work and a medically sensitive toddler who is commuted back and forth from clinic visits. He had a Liver transplant at 8 months old 6-25-2016.

Toyota Tundra Company Information