4.55/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

The Toyota Prius is a full hybrid electric car that debuted in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

886 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 28, 2018

Toyota has 160,000 - 200,000 mileage cars for sales versus to the others cars disappeared around 140-160k. My Prius has 72k when I bought it, now it has 140k. In 5 years of driving it I have zero problem. To live in a today's world I will never take a chance to buy cars if it is not Toyota!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I traded in my 2008 Prius for a 2018 Prius 3 and am delighted. It is quicker, more comfortable and even more economical. I am getting over 60 mpg on a regular basis with normal town and country driving at posted speeds.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I like hybrid cars and the cosmetics of the Prius. It is not only functional but also stylish. The gear shift is what drew me to the car. The console set up outs wonderfully and ergonomically designed. The car also drives very smoothly and its gas mileage is fantastic. And while the primary battery can be an issue in the future, that is not until the car has aged significantly. So my only wish for the car, besides a paint job, is a sunroof. Were it to have a sunroof and be a particular shade of blue, I would want this car for my entire life. I would recommend this car to anybody.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My favorite car. Excellent gas mileage and economical. I have not had to replace the brakes on this vehicle. The towing of ladders or taking trash or recycle, hauling large items or multiple shopping item is great because the seats lay down. The console is defined with driver convenience. Everything is located so I can focus on driving and not hunting around for anything. The storage throughout the car is amazing and the legroom for all passengers is very roomy. Even the six foot teenage nephew. However, my Prius does not have a backup camera. The voice system when making a phone calls is not all that great. The auxiliary battery was a little pricey. Not explained that it would have to be replaced after six years. Also, the keyless remote batteries are a rare make, costly, and do not last.

Original review: June 17, 2018

It cost less to buy gas on Toyota Prius and it runs some on gas and sometime it drives on electricity. It has a camera in the back when you reverse the car. It also gave air bags and it is a very safe car. It has a nice trunk and more room in the back. Moreover, it also have dark windows so people can't see in but we can see out. It also takes a lot less money to take care off. Overall, it was great and wonderful and I really like my new car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have been very pleased with the performance, mpg and reliability of my Prius. It has more power than expected and also gets better gas mileage than listed when I drive conservatively. I also like the ability to track mpg as I drive. I chose the Prius for mpg, cost and features like the keyless entry and push button start. I also like the distinctive design. I feel like it is safe for me and my family and good for the environment as well. It suits me. The only thing I dislike is the lights don't come on automatically. Also sometimes it skips a little when going over bumps. But in general I like it more than I expected to.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Toyota Prius is cute, comfortable, and was for sale close by. A trusted friend was selling this car for a good price and she had very good luck with it and was buying another Toyota. Also, I needed one for my daughter and knew it was a reliable good car. My daughter liked it. Runs well, pretty blue, hatchback, easy to drive, and good mileage. However, if the car is left in the garage and isn't driven for a while it is challenging to get the battery recharged. Also, I am heavier set and would like the seats a little wider.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have always wanted to own a Prius. It's very reliable, modern, economical, and has few if any mechanical problems. It's compatible with most modern technology, so traveling and maintenance are easier than ever. I like its hybrid capability, fast brakes, touch screen controls, high MPG so fueling up is inexpensive, smart entry, Bluetooth, and rearview camera. However, very cold winter temperatures make the battery die faster and I wish there was more trunk space. It's very light so traveling at higher speeds feels daunting.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Prius is great for long distance travel; it's got great gas mileage. It's also roomy and dependable. I like having Bluetooth on it too because I can listen to music on my phone and talk to people without taking my hands off the steering wheel. And when I use the buttons on the steering wheel, the buttons show up on the dashboard so it keeps me from looking down. I also like the tire sensory system as it lets me know my tire is low on air. The only thing I don't like about the car is that it takes a minute for the car to get going - its slowness when first taking off from the light or getting on to the freeway. I wish there's also a way to connect MapQuest from my phone onto the monitor in the car.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Prius is a great model, car isn't too loud, and it runs smoothly. It was a good purchase and I'm glad I got it. It was worth the money. It has all the good features in it. I like the navigator that comes with it and so is the radio. It's a perfect size for a car if you have a small family, but you shouldn't hope to fit too many things in there because not everything will fit in that car since it is so small. But other than that it is perfect. And has no problems with it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I like my Toyota Prius most of the time but the headlights and brake lights tend to go out frequently. It is a pain to have to frequently get them changed and in my busy schedule, often times, it's hard to find time to get it done. It's an extra expense and makes driving at night unsafe. Also, the air conditioner is noisy. But other than that, it gets great gas mileage and dependent. I'm a college student so it's a great way to save money. It's small and compact so it's easy to park just about anywhere and really comfortable to drive.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I'm generally happy about the 2010 Prius' fuel efficiency. Despite the car's unimpressive digital fuel readings, I fill up my tank about once a month for around $15 at $2.29/gal on average. I'd never before gotten a month's worth of daily driving out of a tank of gas. And the car is solid--unlike other vehicles that shook on the highway with strong winds, the Prius is stable. It's also a reasonably comfortable drive for a small-to-medium sedan. I had a 2004 Honda CRV before and HATED the tiny driver's space. I don't feel cramped in the Prius.

My major gripe with the Prius is the propensity for things to go wrong with all the fancy electronics. One of my windows has stopped working--and of course there's no way to manually raise/lower it. The climate control system turns off and on on its own. Then it started switching modes independently as I'm driving. Today, it stopped turning off or responding to other manual input methods. The Bluetooth audio/stereo system is finicky--it works with some applications and not others. Still others, it STARTS working with them then just stops mid stream.

I'm always terrified about the next electrical component that will give out. And the Green-Driving mode has never worked in the car, regardless of climate or other conditions. Too bad, as I'd hope to use the electric motor for slow parking lot driving. No luck. I used to be a loyal BMW driver 'til the cost of gas just overwhelmed me. My biggest complaint about that fun drive was the unreliable electrical systems. Now I've switched to Toyota and am finding the same thing. It's disappointing. Even so, for the fuel efficiency, the Prius has been worth it to me.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The rear view visibility is poor, and the Prius is low and hits any small dip in the road. But overall, the car has been absolutely problem free, and has great mileage!

Original review: May 8, 2018

The Prius itself is a pretty good car. I purchased it for my teenage daughter thinking it would be a safe, economical car for her to use. So far it has been; although it does go through tires fairly quickly. That said, I will never purchase another Toyota because of their Toyota Financial Services department. They have been nothing short of a nightmare and ruin the entire Toyota experience.

Original review: May 7, 2018

After eight years and 40000 I have had zero issues with my Prius. It is super reliable, although it does seem to be hard on tires. I have just worn out my second set of tires and I check the pressure every ten days!

Original review: May 7, 2018

My 2017 Prius V is what I've been wanting, ever since they came out. I finally got one, and it is great! Very comfortable, big enough to haul what I need in the back or with the seats folded down, so quiet, and I can go great distances on only a 10 gal tank! I love the opportunity to finally have an eco-friendly auto!

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Prius had made my life simpler — not so many trips to the gas station, service charges are cheaper, good performance, trunk space with fold down back seats lets us carry most anything.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Very tough car: even hail didn't affect it! Also, very comfortable seats and easy to use climate control. Gas mileage is amazing, which is one of the reasons we bought this Toyota Prius V.

Original review: May 5, 2018

After a few years I replaced my tires and didn't get the correct ones for a 2011 Prius so I am only getting 42-45 MPG instead of 50 or more MPG. This is my only gripe.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I love this car (Toyota Prius Hybrid) and would definitely buy the same model again. It has been worry free with no repairs needed, is comfortable to drive, and its efficiency has saved us a great deal on gasoline.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Can't beat the quiet running, its head room and MPG! The Prius is inexpensive to maintain and remains stylish. The hatchback makes shopping easy and lets me load large items in the back especially with the rear seats lowered.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota Prius 2017 is mostly good. But what I don't like: the dashboard is too cluttered with icons that can't be turned off, and the brightness control is hard to find in the dark - a hazard.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I love how quiet the Toyota Prius is but sometimes that can cause pedestrians a problem, let alone the driver when forgetting to shut off the car. It gets mileage numbers I have not seen elsewhere.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My Prius is very quiet, runs smoothly, is a roomy four seater hatchback, and gets fabulous gas mileage. Purchased my first Prius in 2005, drove it for 12 years with no problems. This past summer I traded it for my second Prius and I love it!!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

2008 Toyota Prius: Best car I’ve ever purchased. I’m sticking with it when/if I replace it. Guess miles is still way up – 48 MPG, and it’s comfortable, easy to drive.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This is my second Prius - it’s a 2015. My first was a 2005. Both are excellent when it comes to performance. However I greatly preferred the interior console design of the 2005 model. The newer models' design makes it very difficult to access the console storage area. Also, they do not have the cup holders for the back seats like the earlier models did. We’re ALWAYS short of cup holders.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We are very pleased with our 2012 Prius. The only flaw we would add is that it could use more padding in the seats for comfort. It is excellent on gas and has enough room in the cargo space for all of our groceries.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota Prius (2007): Most would think this an "old car", not worth the bother. But, my car was so far advanced in the "bells and whistles" especially in the technology that even most new cars as of 2018 still haven't caught up! My Prius doesn't have some really great things like parking and lane assist or automatic braking to avoid collision but it has a rear camera and GPS as well.

Original review: April 28, 2018

When I bought my Toyota Prius C one year ago I did not know what a hybrid car was and had held off getting an "electric" car because where I live the issue of charging was worrisome. I am the first among my friends to own a hybrid car. We talk about the Prius all the time. I bought mine through AAA Car Buying Program. The agent said the battery made by Toyota, it's guarantee and performance is the best available. It is an amazing machine. True savings in the cost of gasoline. My only annoyance is the number of buttons and devices that all new cars seem to believe consumers want. I have a "dumb" phone and I wish they made "dumb" [basic] cars instead of bringing out "all new" models every year which is unnecessary and wasteful of resources. Thumbs way up to Toyota and its Prius line.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I first had a 2005 Prius - I loved that car!!! I gave it to my daughter in 2012 and bought a 2012 Prius C. This is my second Prius and I love this car, too! I believe it will always have a Prius! They are nice cars and environmentally friendly. I like the bells and whistles the C came with and really enjoy owning it!

Not sure about Toyota Prius?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Toyota Prius Company Information

www.toyota.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business