Find a Car Models partner

Help me decide
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

4.1/5 (320 ratings)
Find a Car Models partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Toyota Prius

The Toyota Prius is a full hybrid electric car that debuted in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Prius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?

Original review: July 11, 2021

I never paid much attention to these cars until recently. With gas prices going up, I decided to purchase a fuel efficient vehicle. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR. My only regret is that I didn't buy one years ago.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I really like the 2019 Prius Limited, it is very reliable! It has a score so you can have fun while going slow, no wonder why prius drivers go slow, they want a good score. It never has issues, it is very fun and it has a JBL audio system and a big touchscreen with Alexa. It is so reliable, it never has issues and never breaks down. If you consider a Toyota vehicle, do it.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Toyota makes superior cars, there's no question about that. At one point in time, they were considered much better than American cars. Obviously, some of that has changed within the past couple of decades, in that American cars are improving in overall quality and reliability. However, it was the Toyota brand that had ultimately decided to go with a Prius about 5 years ago, as opposed to some of their American counterparts. Let me just say this: Toyota definitely does not disappoint! And in particular, the Prius model (which is what I currently own) is an excellent car for those wanting something "middle of the road", in terms of price point and affordability. Out the door, mine was approx. $24,000. (But this was about 5 years ago, like I'd indicated.) However, overall it has proven to be a very good investment.

The amount of money that you save on gas alone definitely justifies the slightly higher price point than a Camry or Corolla. And for me, that was really important. Although it can obviously fluctuate a bit on driving habits, amount of miles driven, etc., the fuel efficiency is really good. Mine averages around 55 or 56 miles per gallon, although it can "drop" to as low as 53 miles per gallon if I've done more highway driving in that particular week. The overall 'ride' is pretty smooth, although maybe not as smooth as some luxury models out there. Overall, my Prius really hasn't required all that much extra maintenance, but it's still relatively new: about 5 years old with about 46000 miles on the odometer.

Overall, this is definitely a car that I'd recommend to someone looking to spend a bit more money upfront, in order to reap the R.O.I. (return on investment) factor of greater fuel efficiency on the back end. The only downside to owning the Prius so far, has been that it does take some time (and patience) learning how to navigate all of the internal controls: i.e. radio/clock settings, fuel efficiency monitor screens, etc. But overall, this is definitely a very good car to own!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I just got Check Hybrid system light and I am driving fine with it and the next day I took it the dealership to see why the message is coming.. They are charging about $5000 repairs. Please help me advice what is the point of going with hybrid. Is the dealer cheating, Mileage is just 105K and for just saving Gas money I went to Prius hybrid. Now it is costing me 5000$ for repairs. I recommend there is no point of going with hybrid cars if the repairs of the AC Inverter so expensive. Anand. ** cell.

Original review: March 7, 2020

We bought the Prius just last month at Jim Coleman with 0 miles and dx it from Baltimore but the pre collision safety stopped working, has a engine problem and it’s brand new but we have all proof. The general managers, service department at Jim Coleman didn’t want to help and look into it neither did Toyota. We now know Toyota likes to run away from issues because the Prius specifically was recalled for this same issue and it’s on the BBB and other website true Reviews about it having safety features issues with more than 33k recalls even the managers thought that Toyota has been hiding because they only reported 3k and not 33k recalls this year. Also aside from that my husband and I have email complaints of this matter, phone calls, and tag you on social media of our true reviews on you thus far as a whole company to show everyone not everyone gets the best deals and some good people get scammed.

But I have the proof I need to follow a lawsuit with Vincent ** who is currently an employer for the company and has worked as a salesman for half a year and have eye witness and discovered so much in our short time that we plan to pursue this with no problem. Yes it sucks we are the victims but no pity that I am positive things will only get better from here. So if anything thank you Toyota for giving me the opportunity to share my experience with everyone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

First of all, are you serious Toyota? Let me tell you a little backstory. I've worked as a Toyota salesperson for 6 months. I'm making profit and gross. I bought a car. A 2019 Prius LE. Brand new. 0 miles. But guess what? I find out today in service that the collision system sensor is missing from my car. TF? I bought the car new and it is missing a safety function? Do you want me to die? Honestly I would think that after all the recent recalls with the fuel pump and engines blowing up that you would be a little more careful with your cars. But don't hit me with the American made cars having issues.

This is a Japanese built car. Like I haven't even mentioned the loud engine noise the car is making. Like what the actual heck. I sell cars for you and you slap me in the face? I demand to talk with the higherups. I have no problem filing a MD Lemon Law lawsuit as this is against the rules. It's a new car. Barely a month old. Has all these issues. No accidents. Wow Toyota just wow. How can you do this to me? How should I continue to tell Toyota customers how great the cars are when this crap affects me?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This is my second Prius, a 2009 and now a 2019. I liked the previous one better. This one has some nice features like the automatic dimming headlights, the lane departure signal, heated steering wheel, & blind spot warning. But I'm very upset that it didn't come with a spare tire. Want me to use their roadside service which is available for 2 years however I keep my vehicles for more than 10 years. Was told no room for a spare. Dumb, real dumb.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My hybrid car is a fuel miser. I get to stretch my fuel dollar. It has a quiet cabin, even with the engine geared up. It fits the bill as a commuter or weekend cruising vehicle. Its sight lines are unobstructed. The easy to read dashboard is both attractive and informative. Whether the car is used as a functional family ride or it’s purring, so sleek out down the highway.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

A great driving car and great on gas mileage, 58 miles per gallon. I probably will keep getting Toyota Priuses as this is my third one and I really like them. They have a lot of safety features like alert if you get too close to the car in front of you or it beeps if you go across the line in case you are getting sleepy and I am a little bit older so it's nice to have those added safety features.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I really like the money I save in gas with the Prius because of all the driving I do for work. It's a nice small car and has lasted 150000 miles and going unlike dying at 100000 like most cars I've owned. The one downside is that in the winter where I live, it snows a lot and my Prius is so light that it just slides across most snowy surfaces making it difficult to use in winter time.

Toyota Prius Company Information