2.80/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

The Toyota Prius is a full hybrid electric car that debuted in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

892 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I love how our 2019 Prius handles, it has a snappy peddle and gets excellent gas mileage in the upper 50s to low 60 mpg, better than our previous Prius. The seats are very comfortable and has great leg room in the back. My mom who has lots of back issues and has trouble traveling.. it is the only one of 3 vehicles that we have that she travels well in the back and is comfortable. The only thing I miss in our 2019 is that it doesn’t have the double glove box and doesn’t have the under the console storage space that our 2012 has... Other than that I love it.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Absolutely love my car & have had literally no issues with it after putting ~70k miles on it myself. I'm at ~112k right now and she runs strong! When I have this one paid off I'll be looking to get a Prius Prime.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Bought a 2006 Prius 4 years ago with only 33,000 miles. Now on 56,000 miles. Averaging 54mpg in summer months. A few months ago the VDU screen failed and was quoted £2000 + fitting. As the car would only fetch £3000 I did not repair it and now rely on steering column switches. Cannot adjust fan speed etc. Whilst driving on motorway from Cardiff to Bridgend (approx. 25 miles) the car suddenly lost power but I managed to reach safety of hard shoulder. After a short interval managed to start car and resume journey. Recently the car would not reverse, I was stuck in a parking slot for perhaps 20 minutes before I could move. I love the Prius but would not use it on a long journey because of reliability issues.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Prius in October, it has less than 5,000 miles. The brakes grab, the front fender has chipped and cracked despite no collision. The cover on the driver's side side view mirror apparently just fell off. There is no indication of anyone hitting me, and the mirror itself is not damaged.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My 2006 Prius stopped running and I had it towed into the dealership. They diagnosed a defective computer board and replace it. That didn’t solve the issue and I again had the car towed into the dealership. This time they diagnosed a different computer board. That didn’t solve the issue and I again had the car towed into the dealership.

Now they advise me that there are multiple computer boards that are showing as bad, in addition to the battery. The problem is that if any of these problems had shown themselves last year, they all would have been covered under now expired Service Notices or warranty enhancements, but since those notices have expired, they are no longer covered. If Toyota admits that a part is defective and covers their repair, why is that defective part no longer covered after a certain date. Either a part is defective and Toyota assumes responsibility for its defect or it is not defective.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My 2012 Prius had both headlights go out while driving on an interstate. Luckily no damage was done. My dealer ran my VIN to see if Toyota had a warranty extension as it is a well documented voltage problem for the car. I was told that the 2010 and 2011 Prius do have such coverage but the 2012 does not. Seems very shortsighted on Toyota’s part. It clearly foreseeable that someone could be harmed or killed and that this issue should be addressed.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Toyota has 160,000 - 200,000 mileage cars for sales versus to the others cars disappeared around 140-160k. My Prius has 72k when I bought it, now it has 140k. In 5 years of driving it I have zero problem. To live in a today's world I will never take a chance to buy cars if it is not Toyota!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I traded in my 2008 Prius for a 2018 Prius 3 and am delighted. It is quicker, more comfortable and even more economical. I am getting over 60 mpg on a regular basis with normal town and country driving at posted speeds.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I like hybrid cars and the cosmetics of the Prius. It is not only functional but also stylish. The gear shift is what drew me to the car. The console set up outs wonderfully and ergonomically designed. The car also drives very smoothly and its gas mileage is fantastic. And while the primary battery can be an issue in the future, that is not until the car has aged significantly. So my only wish for the car, besides a paint job, is a sunroof. Were it to have a sunroof and be a particular shade of blue, I would want this car for my entire life. I would recommend this car to anybody.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My favorite car. Excellent gas mileage and economical. I have not had to replace the brakes on this vehicle. The towing of ladders or taking trash or recycle, hauling large items or multiple shopping item is great because the seats lay down. The console is defined with driver convenience. Everything is located so I can focus on driving and not hunting around for anything. The storage throughout the car is amazing and the legroom for all passengers is very roomy. Even the six foot teenage nephew. However, my Prius does not have a backup camera. The voice system when making a phone calls is not all that great. The auxiliary battery was a little pricey. Not explained that it would have to be replaced after six years. Also, the keyless remote batteries are a rare make, costly, and do not last.

Toyota Prius Company Information