Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filling up my gas tank every six weeks is my kind of bling! I thought after owning a Mercedes, I would feel as though I was driving a tuna fish can, but with the exception of the center console that reminds me of a bidet, I love Toyota Prius. It works great for me.

I just sold a 2008 Prius with 113,000 miles that I bought 4 years ago with 75,000 miles. Toyota did a couple recalls on it for no charge when I first got it. I replaced a belt on it and an MFD which went down. Autobeyours repaired the mfd for about $275 and it was easy to do myself using his youtube video. I changed the oil and CVT fluid myself so this was a very inexpensive car to keep. I averaged about 44 mpg over the years. I was planning on keeping it but a 2012 Prius five with all the options became available at a great price and I was able to sell the 2008 for a very good price. Get your Prius checked out at a dealer as they can save you from buying someone else's lemon. Really the best car I've ever had in regards to reliability and gas mileage. The high voltage batteries last from 12-15 years. My wife has a 2014 Three with nav that is also trouble free.

My brother drives a 2007 with no issues. I don't know anyone who has had trouble with their Prius. EV Battery Center in Las Vegas can install a new battery for $2350. It has a one year warranty but don't be fooled, as it will last another 12-15 years if you keep the car that long. Don't fall for a rebuilt battery as they fail more often than not. No Toyota mechanics I know (several) recommend going this route. Just Google this if you don't believe me. Very comfortable car that just works well for cheap. Priusdiy.com is a great site to learn to do your own maintenance and I used it to learn how to change the spark plugs and other maintenance. Avoid a rebuilts Prius as they tend to have very expensive issues that cost megabucks to diagnose and repair. If you don't take a Prius to a dealer for an inspection, at least take it to a reputable auto body shop who can tell you if the car has been in a wreck.

These cars are made to last and will save you money, but you do have to do your due diligence to get a good one that has been taken care of. Most horror stories on this site are due to people who did not do their homework and bought another person's problem. My dealer charges about $150 for an inspection and it will be the best money you will ever spend as it will give you peace of mind and/or save you from buying someone else's can of worms. I highly recommend this car.

I purchased 2011 Toyota Prius in 2015 from so called very reputed dealer Temecula Valley Toyota. It works pretty well until yesterday July 27, 2017. Out of nowhere, all the warning lights pop up. I parked on side and tried to stop and start again. It started up but with all the warning lights and "system hybrid failure" message on dashboard screen. I flatbed-towed to dealership. After few hours, service department found out that its computer and inverter failed, replacement cost $3500+. Since car has 120,000 miles it's not under warranty. Can't put that kind of out of my pocket. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm thinking about filing small claims. This post is for people who want to buy Prius to save on gas, but keep in mind you may end up spending more on repairs.

I bought a used 2006 Toyota Prius October 2016 with about 66000 miles, my daughter drove it back and forth to school daily and now has 73000 miles and all of a sudden the dashboard started displaying safety error codes (ABS, VSC, Brake, tire warning blinking constantly). Took the car to Toyota dealer for service and paid $128.99 for electronic diagnostic checks to determine cause of failed sensors, they informed me that ABS actuator had failed and all braking safety features have been disabled and cost of repair would be $3200.

I was really upset when the service guys could not explain why it happened and they do not see this ever happens at such low mileage, then more upset about the cost of repair when I heard this figure especially when I was told this happened at no fault of our own and they were surprised to see the ABS actuator and all braking safety features failing at such low mileage (73000 miles). Then I spoke with their service manager and he was sympathetic and suggested that I call Toyota Customer Service and see if they can warranty the repair.

I called 800 GO Toyota and spoke with customer service rep Shawn and he apologized for this happening and routed me to another rep who he said can get a resolution for my complaint, he then told me that extended support program for Prius ABS Actuator (10 years/ 150,000 mile) had expired on 09/2016 and nothing he or Toyota could do to help me and no one else would be able to further assist me, and it is up to me as to what to do with the vehicle knowing that it is very unsafe to drive with safety feature disabled. I told him the car has 1/2 of the miles the extended warranty covers and this is a legit safety concern that Toyota should consider but he then replied, "I can only speculate that driver before you might have had bad braking habits and affected the safety features to fail."

I then told him if that is the case you will see most of Toyota cars on the road failing and this would be irrelevant speculation on your part. I am very disappointed in owning an unsafe to drive vehicle at such low mileage especially with Toyota reputation of safety. All I want as a first time Toyota car owner is to get this car safely back on road without jeopardizing my daughter's life or safety while driving it. Toyota Case # **.

GREAT Fuel Economy and smooth Ride. Not much trouble with gliding over pot holes. Very happy with the performance over my last vehicle and I am not worried about many problems in the future. The value is what you can expect for a hybrid car. I am very happy with my purchase. It is a car I will be driving for a number of years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

It survived a few scratches and bumps. It survived for years too through all the seasons and storms then you can pass it down for generations. It has always had good brakes from when I first got it. Good on a lot of terrains and very good for hauling. Pretty made outside and nice height, too. Nice convertible and leather inside, comfortable seats and very roomy front space, as well. I would definitely try to keep this brand of car and brand in the family like cousins all that the whole family.

I really like this car because it has the fuel efficiency like no other car that I have ever driven. It is a very nice car that has smooth 2 wheel drive capabilities. The durability is also a nice added factor. The performance of this car is very nice. I enjoy driving this car around to pick up my kids from time to time. However, I would recommend turning the car off to save energy. Also, the appearance of this car is not too great. The value of this car is somewhat unappreciated. However, I would certainly recommend that one buys this car because it is a good value.

I have gotten in a few minor accidents involving other cars scraping my car or slight rear-ending, but the car still functions fine and has held up well. I am thoroughly satisfied with its durability. The car's performance is efficient, convenient, and consistent. I am a mother of one who has to drive my child to school and then myself to work after, and this car fully fulfills these necessities. Both the interior and exterior appearance of the car are sleek and simple. The inside of the car has a polished leather that is pleasing to the eyes, and the outside of the car has a refined look, no matter what color is chosen (I have white). I bought this car for an extremely affordable price. It functions wonderfully in meeting all of my needs and it also looks great, and so I think the car is worth its value.

The Prius gets excellent gas mileage and is very low maintenance. I haven't had any issues with the car except for routine maintenance/upkeep. I have been very pleased at how economical the car is based on the gas mileage the car gets. It takes a bit getting used to driving a hybrid car. Once you get the hang of "coasting" it increases the MPG and maximizes the car's full potential. It looks a bit too much like an outer space vehicle, but the car's performance makes up for it. The value is excellent for the car's full performance. The car is also reasonable in its pricing. The biggest value is that it will save so much money on fuel during the years you own it.

I enjoy and love the Toyota Prius. It is unique and part of my family. So much durability, I feel my car can be in a good appearance for a thousands years. It also has good performance. Have the same potential of the engineers' cars and is good with the ecosystem. Very good appearance too. The Toyota Prius have a excellent style and design. Toyota always have a good quality in their designs with make by the better designers. Also, has good value for the money because when I bought my Toyota Prius 2014 the bill of the gas station is more lower now. I can buy more beverages now.

I am really impressed with this car. Extremely durable, easily drive-able and stayed amazing for as long as I can remember. The vehicle drives extremely well and is very smooth. I have never had any problems with the car since I got it, and I am so satisfied with it that I would definitely recommend it to someone for its performance. Also, the appearance outside is amazing, it looks so good and shiny, and stays that way. And the inside is very comfortable and even looks great. The value for the price is way worth it and I am very satisfied with the vehicle and how it performs and my overall experience with it, so for the price, it is well worth it.

The value of a Toyota Prius is very good. It ranges from 24,000 to 30,000 dollars. Its resell value is also very good. This car definitely fits my budget for this type and size of car. It is also a hybrid car which is a plus for me. It has great fuel economy and it performs well with great mileage. It is reliable and drives great. It has great braking with a sleek look, and the brakes aren't so grabby as before. Its acceleration is great and it has a comfortable ride over bumpy areas. Also, the car's interior is roomy and comfortable. The exterior of the car is sleeker than before and sportier looking in my opinion. It has more chrome and a high-tech appearance. The rear seats have enough space for most adults.

The car lasts long and is durable. It's great for many many years and won't cause any problems. Overall it's a great car to have and worth the money. I would recommend this the car to everyone and my family.

I found the car to be very durable. I rarely had car problems and I didn't need to get it repaired often, and when I did it was minimal and low cost repairs. I also found the vehicle handled really well. I enjoyed how eco-efficient the car was. The miles to gas ratio was better than any car I have driven, and the ride was always smooth. Also, the interior was very high quality for a low-cost car, and I liked the material and the color of the interior. The exterior was to my liking as well. I like the shape and color of the car. I found that this car was a very high quality for the price I paid for it. The gas efficiency was a major plus. The car was well crafted and the materials didn't look cheap for a car that was reasonable price.

I got it because it looked so great and didn't bother to check anything else. I paid a lot of money and it fell apart immediately. It was my own fault for not checking it better. I did numerous repairs and maintenance, but it just wasn't ever enough. Struts were terrible as well as the brakes went out so many times. I just couldn't deal with this vehicle anymore. I couldn't bring myself to keep it with its numerous mechanical issues. It just wasn't safe enough to drive everyday and I was afraid it was going to fall apart. I sold it immediately. It was nice in appearance, just wish it was better with the mechanical aspect.

I've put over 80k miles on this car and it looks brand new. It looks great and has never let me down. I was worried it would feel plastic, but I was wrong. People teased me about "handling hills" in a Prius. It was never an issue. I've always been proud to drive the car and pass people driving up steep hills. It's not a sports car but that's not what I paid for. It's cute, reliable, and stays clean with minimal effort on my part. I've spilled red Gatorade inside and it cleaned up without skipping a beat. Not only was the car inexpensive but cheap to drive and to maintain. It's the perfect car for a commuter. I've driven mine cross country both ways 3x, with no issues.

Rocks & other materials that fly up during driving in more remote places have already made dents in the car but I guess it holds up good enough. The acceleration & mobility when turning in offroad areas is very impressive. I think the car is very attractive & I bought this choice mainly based off looks. This is the kind of car I'd feel confident driving around town and showing off. There are many interior features of the car that I do appreciate highly but I'm not happy with how well it holds up. I expected more a lot because of how pricey this car was. Although I was quite disappointed with how this experience ending up turning out, the price was within my budget.

This vehicle will comfort you all the rides you go. You can go everywhere you want and you will have your life protected every bit of the way. I recommend this to everyone! Its fast and can store as much gas as possible for all your adventures. The appearance is slick and smooth as hell. The car is overall decent. I love this car because its so cheap and wonderful. And this will be your best buy if you're trying for a cheap car with a small price range.

It's very durable for everyday use and car pooling. Not a single problem with anything on the car breaking and I'm hard on it. Nice solid build. Well worth it. Awesome performance, too. Nice to drive no matter if you're going on a long trip or short trip. Don't have to stop much, it just keeps on going. I love it. Well made interior and exterior. Great features and powered. A little tight inside for tall people like me but if you can put the seat back all the way very comfortable to drive. The value is great especially all the gas money it saves you. You get a lot for the price. I recommend it highly.

While the car may be kind of slow, very slow start up speed actually this thing saves me tons on gas money each year. It's lasted me 3 years so far. The battery may be dropping juice so I will have to get that replaced but the engine is running just fine. Haven't replaced anything yet. Not very stylish but it suits my needs well. There is enough room to put what I need in it. But the shell of the car is a joke to look at, odd shape. Battery cost is through the roof so I'm not too happy about that. Great value if you want to save on gas money each year and live near your destinations.

My Prius lasted a long time and I still have the car. It is my favorite car and it gives a lot of mileage. The durability for this is good and I can also get high mph with this car. The interior is soft and the exterior was also good because it protects me if I get into a crash. I am happy because I got the car for a good price and I would recommend.

It can be difficult to get the gas for a certain place. The gas runs out very quickly. Also, my car is big and it can sometimes be hard to get it in a certain place. The check engine goes on a lot and I tried to fix it but it didn't work. But it is very good overall. My friends like it and I am very happy with it. I like it appearance. I didn't find the colors that I wanted but I got a decent color. It is expensive but not as expensive as other cars. It is very good for its price. I do recommend it to anyone who is interested in this car.

The brand has a long lasting engine and have the ability to cover distance within minutes. It's so strong and cannot be easily damage with slight hit. The tyre are also very satisfactory. The performance is highly recommendable due to the various features its posses, factory fitted air conditioning, manual processing. It has the ability to cover miles within a given time. The sound system is highly superb. It is highly recommendable and is really valuable.

The car lasts a long time and is family friendly. It has lasted my family across hundreds of miles and hasn't needed repair for over five years. The performance of the vehicle is very good. It's smooth and is able to stop suddenly when there's an emergency. While this isn't a sports car, it is a safe and comfortable design and it's fun to be in. It can host a good amount of people in the car while being comfortable with leather seats. The overall appearance is good. The value is incomparable. While the car may be pricey brand new, it's well worth the cost and will last a long time.

I like the look of it, nice durable paint and finish. The interior is ergonomic, very comfortable and pleasant. The almost heads-up main display (speedometer, odometer, warning lights,etc.) is a brilliant idea and something I really miss on other cars. Has back-up camera and integrated electronics - can connect your cell phone via Bluetooth and integrated cd, radio, and navigation.

I bought it used and it had 110,000 miles on it but ran as solid as a tank! I actually got in an accident which crushed the right door. The car looked destroyed but the frame wasn't bent and I drove it for another 3000 miles before replacing it. It performed better than I expected. The acceleration was always there when I needed it and the gas mileage was approximately 40 mpg in city traffic. The overall quality is outstanding and the durability is amazing. One of the best handling cars I've ever driven, truly amazing for such a little car (though roomy inside).

It has been a very good car with no troubles so far. It's not a rugged vehicle but that's not why I bought it - I purchased for fuel economy which I like and the high tech features of it. I also like the push button start. The interior is sufficient for a car of its size. It can seat five people. I was able to get a good price on the car and I am grateful for that (saved money). The one disadvantage is that it's a bit hard to see out the interior mirror. Also the car does not have a lot of power given that it is a 4 cylinder. Nevertheless, it has been dependable and I have a 75,000 warranty on it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of my car. It handles well on the road. I have never had a problem with it in the winters on icy roads like I expected to. It also accelerated fairly fast. This is a great car for traveling distances because of the gas efficiency. It is also very visually appealing. It had a sleek look to it and I really like the pastel colors. Although, some may see it as being a little too feminine or perhaps appealing only to younger audiences. And it is a little small for driving with kids in the car. It would be amazing if there were a slightly bigger version. But it is a good car and the cost is pretty good for how long I believe that it will last, though I was disappointed to see how much the value of the car drops once it's no longer brand new.

The vehicle drives fine. It's big, fast, and drives at 1000000 miles. Performance isn't a issue. I highly recommend to anyone that wants to buy it off me for a unique price. Also it will come with a turbo nitrous attached to it as a optional attachment if you want the ultimate package. The beast of this vehicle is the turbocharger. When this baby gets crankin, performance becomes ridiculously good. It is red with retrofitted chromed out wheels. Windows are tinted with a custom made vinyl underneath the car, plus the car shoots out custom made gas flames. Value of the car is 30,0000. Unlike any car in the world... you won't find a car much better out there than this one set at a insane value. It takes a rich mans fat pockets to be able to hold this cars value.

The best car ever. The performance is just like any car. It does its job and performs well. It doesn't dent if you hit objects such as poles and signs. I have crashed into poles multiple times by accident with still no dents ANYWHERE. The price is also pretty low compared to other cars. I recommend it to everyone. It is really worth it and it’s a 9/10 car. It looks amazing and is literally a tank. It doesn't look bad at all but it doesn't even fight against sports cars.

While the Toyota Prius is average as far as durability and I would not say it is the best, it is also far from the worst. The performance is good for a car of that price range. I have driven more powerful cars but none that has as high an MPG. Don't expect to tow your boat with it though. Nevertheless, it is a great looking car and I love how sporty it looks. I like the interior as well. Also, the price was good and for the money I got what I expected. I've saved so much in gas since getting this car. The value of this car is outstanding for what you get. I have experienced no major problems to date. If the car holds up for a while, I will have no complaints.

Toyota Prius Company Profile