4.47/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

875 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

I'm generally happy about the 2010 Prius' fuel efficiency. Despite the car's unimpressive digital fuel readings, I fill up my tank about once a month for around $15 at $2.29/gal on average. I'd never before gotten a month's worth of daily driving out of a tank of gas. And the car is solid--unlike other vehicles that shook on the highway with strong winds, the Prius is stable. It's also a reasonably comfortable drive for a small-to-medium sedan. I had a 2004 Honda CRV before and HATED the tiny driver's space. I don't feel cramped in the Prius.

My major gripe with the Prius is the propensity for things to go wrong with all the fancy electronics. One of my windows has stopped working--and of course there's no way to manually raise/lower it. The climate control system turns off and on on its own. Then it started switching modes independently as I'm driving. Today, it stopped turning off or responding to other manual input methods. The Bluetooth audio/stereo system is finicky--it works with some applications and not others. Still others, it STARTS working with them then just stops mid stream.

I'm always terrified about the next electrical component that will give out. And the Green-Driving mode has never worked in the car, regardless of climate or other conditions. Too bad, as I'd hope to use the electric motor for slow parking lot driving. No luck. I used to be a loyal BMW driver 'til the cost of gas just overwhelmed me. My biggest complaint about that fun drive was the unreliable electrical systems. Now I've switched to Toyota and am finding the same thing. It's disappointing. Even so, for the fuel efficiency, the Prius has been worth it to me.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The rear view visibility is poor, and the Prius is low and hits any small dip in the road. But overall, the car has been absolutely problem free, and has great mileage!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The Prius itself is a pretty good car. I purchased it for my teenage daughter thinking it would be a safe, economical car for her to use. So far it has been; although it does go through tires fairly quickly. That said, I will never purchase another Toyota because of their Toyota Financial Services department. They have been nothing short of a nightmare and ruin the entire Toyota experience.

Original review: May 7, 2018

After eight years and 40000 I have had zero issues with my Prius. It is super reliable, although it does seem to be hard on tires. I have just worn out my second set of tires and I check the pressure every ten days!

Original review: May 7, 2018

My 2017 Prius V is what I've been wanting, ever since they came out. I finally got one, and it is great! Very comfortable, big enough to haul what I need in the back or with the seats folded down, so quiet, and I can go great distances on only a 10 gal tank! I love the opportunity to finally have an eco-friendly auto!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Prius had made my life simpler — not so many trips to the gas station, service charges are cheaper, good performance, trunk space with fold down back seats lets us carry most anything.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Very tough car: even hail didn't affect it! Also, very comfortable seats and easy to use climate control. Gas mileage is amazing, which is one of the reasons we bought this Toyota Prius V.

Original review: May 5, 2018

After a few years I replaced my tires and didn't get the correct ones for a 2011 Prius so I am only getting 42-45 MPG instead of 50 or more MPG. This is my only gripe.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I love this car (Toyota Prius Hybrid) and would definitely buy the same model again. It has been worry free with no repairs needed, is comfortable to drive, and its efficiency has saved us a great deal on gasoline.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Can't beat the quiet running, its head room and MPG! The Prius is inexpensive to maintain and remains stylish. The hatchback makes shopping easy and lets me load large items in the back especially with the rear seats lowered.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota Prius 2017 is mostly good. But what I don't like: the dashboard is too cluttered with icons that can't be turned off, and the brightness control is hard to find in the dark - a hazard.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I love how quiet the Toyota Prius is but sometimes that can cause pedestrians a problem, let alone the driver when forgetting to shut off the car. It gets mileage numbers I have not seen elsewhere.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My Prius is very quiet, runs smoothly, is a roomy four seater hatchback, and gets fabulous gas mileage. Purchased my first Prius in 2005, drove it for 12 years with no problems. This past summer I traded it for my second Prius and I love it!!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

2008 Toyota Prius: Best car I’ve ever purchased. I’m sticking with it when/if I replace it. Guess miles is still way up – 48 MPG, and it’s comfortable, easy to drive.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This is my second Prius - it’s a 2015. My first was a 2005. Both are excellent when it comes to performance. However I greatly preferred the interior console design of the 2005 model. The newer models' design makes it very difficult to access the console storage area. Also, they do not have the cup holders for the back seats like the earlier models did. We’re ALWAYS short of cup holders.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We are very pleased with our 2012 Prius. The only flaw we would add is that it could use more padding in the seats for comfort. It is excellent on gas and has enough room in the cargo space for all of our groceries.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota Prius (2007): Most would think this an "old car", not worth the bother. But, my car was so far advanced in the "bells and whistles" especially in the technology that even most new cars as of 2018 still haven't caught up! My Prius doesn't have some really great things like parking and lane assist or automatic braking to avoid collision but it has a rear camera and GPS as well.

Original review: April 28, 2018

When I bought my Toyota Prius C one year ago I did not know what a hybrid car was and had held off getting an "electric" car because where I live the issue of charging was worrisome. I am the first among my friends to own a hybrid car. We talk about the Prius all the time. I bought mine through AAA Car Buying Program. The agent said the battery made by Toyota, it's guarantee and performance is the best available. It is an amazing machine. True savings in the cost of gasoline. My only annoyance is the number of buttons and devices that all new cars seem to believe consumers want. I have a "dumb" phone and I wish they made "dumb" [basic] cars instead of bringing out "all new" models every year which is unnecessary and wasteful of resources. Thumbs way up to Toyota and its Prius line.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I first had a 2005 Prius - I loved that car!!! I gave it to my daughter in 2012 and bought a 2012 Prius C. This is my second Prius and I love this car, too! I believe it will always have a Prius! They are nice cars and environmentally friendly. I like the bells and whistles the C came with and really enjoy owning it!

Original review: April 27, 2018

Toyota Prius Touring - a great car, over 50 mpg and adaptive cruise control. Stop and go traffic, no problem. Safely this is my 3rd Prius, first one a lady came across 3 lanes and gave us a head one. Airbags deployed, dogs bounced around, my wife and were fine. Insurance bought the next one for me. I traded it in at 86,000 miles. I wish someone had told me it was just broke in and 300,000 miles is not uncommon for the Prius.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I bought my first Prius 6 years ago. I drove it more than 120K miles. Never had to replace the battery; Never replaced the brakes. It had a 10 gallon tank and could travel 375 miles on a tank of gas. I lived the in mountains and it just hugged the road on the sometimes challenging curves. In 2014 I traded it in for another new Prius. Love all the new safety features. The hatchback makes it so easy for traveling with my 100 lb dog or loading groceries or plants from the nursery. Last Christmas we packed it with all of our family's gifts, our luggage and my husband's golf clubs with room to spare to travel 4 hours up north. The seats are so very comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't think of driving anything else. In my opinion the Prius is a "10" not a "5".

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have heard that Toyota is discontinuing the Prius V. They are pushing the Rav4 hybrid. They are two different cars. The Rav is a SUV and the V is a "station wagon car". I get great mileage on my V, better than the Rav. I am looking at the new Camry hybrid which gets great mileage.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I love my Prius. I bought it in 2005 and it was a 2001. I still have it, in a society where people buy new cars constantly I feel no desire to abandon the reliable, adorable, affordable, Toyota that was the first car I bought using my own money entirely. I love this car and as long as it has life in its body I will drive it.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Prius is a great car and this is our second one. I have only two things that I believe need changed. The noise inside the car when going down the highway although I did hear that has been improved upon. The other is the height of the car. Every bump, driveway or small debris on the highway hits the bottom or the bumper of the car. It really needs to be about 3 inches higher off the road.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Performance, economy, creature comforts. That's my Toyota Prius. Offer me another car and I'll refuse it! Toyota leads the way in hybrid technology, as far as I'm concerned. No regrets!

Original review: April 6, 2018

In 2008 I opted to buy a brand new Prius 1.5 instead of a Mercedes and or BMW which most colleagues own. I boasted about my Prius for all these years until the past 3 months the VSC and Alert lights randomly displays. In November 2017 upon checking at a local fuel station we discovered a pint of oil short. Almost every month since there is a pint short that the fuel attendant reports on which had to be topped up using proper Toyota Oil. In my family and amongst friends we owned a few Toyotas ranging from Corollas and Tazz with mileage running to about 400 000 km without an engine problem.

All services on my Prius are carried out by the Toyota dealership in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa and the car is still in perfect nick condition. The last service was done at 140 000 km in August 2017. Since August 2017 - This car has not done about 4 trips of 200 km as a long trip otherwise is used daily for work and home average 30 km a day. Over the past 2 months I have taken it to the dealership twice – the first time they informed me that they cleaned out the sludge sump and reset the management system. Last week the VSC and Alert lights came on and I complained that it still takes oil – They reported that their management diagnoses reveals that 2 cells on the hybrid battery are low.

I argued that it has nothing to do with oil consumption. We topped up the oil and the VSC and Alert lights are gone off. I read on the websites recondition hybrid batteries are also available as Toyota Agents require $2000 to supply and fit a brand new one – do you have any information on this. I am confused really that at 143 000 km it is consuming oil and regarding the hybrid battery – it seems a guessing game.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My husband just bought a 2018 Prius 2 for me. I knew he was doing this but I should have checked it out before he signed on the dotted line. I had a 2011 Prius, which I loved. I know the Prius 2 is the "budget" model so a bunch of the bells and whistles aren't even an option. But, my biggest concern is with the huge amount of highly reflective surface on the dashboard. Driving the new car to work for the first time this morning and I was constantly distracted by the sunlight gleaming off the shiny black surface of the dashboard (not the display). To me, the style of seat with the small interior section and sloped edges is also very uncomfortable. I will have to add some sort of filler in the middle so that I don't get leg cramps. There are a few other complaints but most people (even me) would think it's a bit petty. Overall, the vehicle drives well. I would have opted for a different set of options over some of the extra beeps and safety improvements in this model.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Bought this car new in 2008 and my wife and I love it. We use it as our runaround car and it gets great miles per gallon. No problems in 85000 miles but we do keep it serviced. My only complaint is the seats. They are not well padded and I wouldn't want to take a long trip in it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Our 2013 Prius V with 128k miles has been maintained meticulously and has provided a drama free commuting experience since new. However it made a strange vibration and noise on startup the other day and then the check engine light came on so it was brought in to the local dealership. The shop called me a few hours later with the bad news... blown head gasket which would cost $4500+ to fix. As we didn’t want to buy a new car at this point we had the work done. I did some research and found this to be a relatively common problem with the Prius at about 130k miles and Toyota doesn’t want to admit it. Oh well. Our next car will likely not be a Toyota.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Electrical malfunction in 2016 Prius. USB charger stops working after 2-3 minutes every day that the phone is plugged in. Car has to be turned off and then back on for it to start working again. Display system blacks out and restarts usually when the USB cord is plugged in. This has occurred 3 times in the last 4 months.

Toyota Prius Company Information