1.76/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Toyota Scion

Scion is a division of Toyota that was shut down in 2016. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

97 Toyota Scion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Scion TC is reliable and enjoyable to drive and economical to maintain. The interior is comfortable and the front seats give good support. The air conditioning and heating work well. The controls on the steering wheel are easy to use. I like the bucket seats, manual transmission gives a sporty feel to drive, adequate power from the engine, power windows, cruise control and good sound system, sporty handling, sufficient storage capacity to carry luggage on a trip. The wheels are attractive. However, the glass sunroof rattles and adds heat to the interior of the car in warm weather. The area behind the gas filler door traps dirt and is difficult to clean.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I loved the Scion TC. It drove well, had good pick up, and good gas mileage. The car looked nice and had a moon roof that I loved. It had airbags all around, it looks and handles like a sports car, but is considered a car so the insurance isn't as high as that of a sports car. But if I could change anything about the car, I would make the ride a little smoother, and eliminate the blind spots.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had bought a Scion before and loved it. They were discontinuing that particular model so I bought the best largest in the line and am just as happy with it thankfully. My Scion xB is economical but it doesn't look cheap. It's sporty but not too rugged. The Seats are spacious and the ride is smooth. It's a fun car to drive and I always get compliments on it. The back seats are a little cramped, though. I've been told by passengers it's not the roomiest back there but making it bigger would make the car bigger and I like it's compactness.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Had my 2006 Scion TC for four years and has over 200,000 miles on it and I've had no major problems at all. I think I replace the alternator at one point. Tires because I drive a lot open that not a single problem.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

9 years ago today I bought my 2007 Scion tC within 2 years I had to replace my engine. There was no low oil warning indicators and the check engine light never came on. I’ve gone through numerous sets of tires… Not cheap either… The handle to my trunk broke off and had to be Gorilla glued back on. My sunroof refuses to close at times. And today I was left on the side of road yet again with a blown engine. I have two small kids and this car has been nothing but unreliable the whole time I’ve had it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Scion?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I bought a brand new Scion xD in 2008. I was told this car was a Toyota made in Japan by Toyota under the Scion name (which has now been absorbed into Toyota itself) which was just a lower-priced line and was Toyota quality. My family owned Toyotas forever often keeping them 200k. I bought the Scion and quickly found out it was a crappy car nowhere near Toyota quality. The first thing that happened is that the tires wore out very quickly. When I went to get new ones I was told they were non-standard tires and cost a fortune. I serviced it at the dealer until the warranty ran out then took it to two reliable repair shops who both told me the same thing. The car has non-standard parts in it like very expensive spark plugs and that the way things are positioned oddly under the hood such that takes much longer to repair (equates to longer time to fix and higher labor costs).

I was fortunate not to have massive engine issues some reported but overall the car was of crappy quality and required many expensive repairs including replacing cylinder heads and alternators more than once. The last straw for me was having alternator issues while trying to evacuate for a recent hurricane. The next week I went started car shopping. This time I kept in mind that the "deal" I thought I was getting on the Scion is exactly what people mean when they say you get what you pay for!! The best part was that I was still considering a new Toyota when I noticed the regular lines like Corolla are now incorporating the crappy defunct Scions!! I can't imagine Toyota rebuilt the iM to incorporate Corolla parts once they decided to absorb it into the Corolla line even though unsuspecting buyers will think they are getting Corolla quality!!!

I highly recommend you don't buy anything related to the Scion line. I was working with a Toyota dealer who had the nerve to tell me this are quality Toyotas when I was trying to trade in a 2008 with only 73k miles on it because I just can't rely on it anymore. Needless to say, I now own a brand new Honda. The xD was a huge disappointment all the way around. Please do thorough research before buying the "new" Toyota models to make sure you're getting something that doesn't have these issues so you don't get screwed over like I did!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have a 2012 Scion IQ and the paint is peeling off in sheets. This is happening on the roof mind you, so I can't even be blamed for cause the problem by hitting something. Toyota's response was to tell me paint is only warranted for 3 years or 36,000 miles so they aren't responsible. Obviously customer service isn't one of their top priorities.

Original review: April 20, 2017

A few months later I go on the weekend driving at normal speed on the highway (about 45 to 50 mph) and I notice that the check engine light comes out again. Generating another visit to the service building that was last Monday (4/17/2017 and today is Thursday (4/20/2017) and they still do not call me to tell me what happens with my vehicle and when I call services they tell me that person who is working with a vehicle is not and the manager cannot talk to me because he is with another client (of course he is with another client). They are doing very bad business. I just need someone to help me with this situation as this vehicle was financed and I have very high payments. Thank you and do not do business with Fordham Toyota / Scion Dealer which is 236 West Fordham Rd, Bronx, NY 10468.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Solid steering column, quick 4 cylinder with Turbo, haven't had any mechanical issues in 75k miles. I bought my 2011 Scion Tc used with 40k miles on it 2 years ago. I've driven it coast to coast across the US with no mechanical issues. I drove a v6 5speed VW before and was nervous about dropping down to a 4-cylinder, but this thing is surprisingly quick. Steering and control are very tight, just an overall well-made car.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Hello group. I up until Dec 03, 2016 owned a 2006 Toyota scion t/c which I loved very much and took very good care of. I am now in the process of screening attorneys and contacting my insurance company because my driver's side airbag deployed in my face right after accelerating from a cold start from leaving work. I got in, started my car and realized my gas light was on and my airbag light flashed which never happened before. I turned my wheel and put my car into drive and accelerated and that's the last thing I remember before someone beeping their horn asking if I was ok. The pictures and video below are proof that this really happened. I was briefly knocked out and was told I accelerated into a light post. If you own a Scion there is a recall on side airbags for this problem but not driver or passenger. I advise you call Toyota today and make an appointment.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

2010 Scion XB - My experience with Hickory Toyota was very good. At first the financing went pretty smooth all the way. Had to be called back in order to finish my financing but I have been very satisfied overall. In the 2nd month, after I've had the car ranging from 2012 to now 2016 I have put 15 sets of brakes on the car back and front here. Lately I have had the rotors turned 28th another set of brakes. I'm still not satisfied with the overall appearance of the way it stops. My car stalled on me. Sept 2016 I had to put a battery in it which I had already put a battery in it a year ago from Toyota.

October my car stalled on me at the red light. I made it to my workplace and the car completely cut off. I called Toyota. They were very nice and send out a wrecker which cost me a lot of money to have the car towed for them to fix it. It was my alternator which cost me a total of $764 minus $100 that my insurance paid on the towing bill. My car still is not in Tip-Top shape but I could really understand because it does have over 200,000 miles on it. This is really getting on my nerves because of the way my car still is wanting to cut off at stops or when I come to a red light or stop sign.

I am very very confused with this. I just wonder what's going on with my Scion XB. Is it the mileage on it or do I just need to try to it something else. I've had a bad experience with this car and it seems to be getting worse and worser. Oh yes after I picked up my car from Toyota replacing the alternator, my car sound awful and sound like it was going to cut off. I told them about it, they looked at it again and said it should smooth out on its own. Well it has not. Thank you so much for listening.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My kin folks were following me while I was driving on the highway and when we got to where we were going, I was informed that sheets of paint were flying off my almost new truck and hitting his windshield! I called Scion and was told that my 3 yr. 36 thousand mile warranty had expired. If nothing else it should be a violation of hazardous materials all over the roadways! They should not sell new cars that they forget to prime. The whole truck needs repainted!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I have had my Release Series 1.0 Scion xD now for 8 years and will turn over 100,000 miles this week. So far she has performed flawless. My only repairs have been a timing port gasket because of weeping and new headlights because of the typical fogging. New tires and oil (synthetic) as regular maintenance is all she has needed. I would give her a 5 star review however the clear coat is failing now, and Toyota will do nothing for me... not halfway, end of discussion. After being a loyal supporter and purchasing a number of their vehicles since 1985 I feel I have been crapped on. They will force me to go to another manufacturer. Whatever.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I bought my 05 Scion - in 2009. So relatively new- I wanted a Scion for a long time. So to my excitement I finally owned one. Now I am pretty car savvy. I can diagnose and hear what the issues are as far as ticking, grinding etc. For the first 6 years all was great. Then... the first thing that happened was - my interior passenger side window mechanism, broke - falling completely off of whatever pulley system was in place to allow the button to be pushed, no big deal.

The only issue I had after driving it off the lot at 4 years old was a very faint whirring noise in the back end... It would get louder with higher speeds. Ok had that looked at - I was told it was because my tires were cupped. THEY WEREN'T. I was told it was because they were low-pro and just sounded that way due to the level of the tire to rim ratio or whatever the hell someone tried telling me... That WAS NOT IT EITHER. Ok fast forward... The noise has been present since day one...

Then, my hatch started malfunctioning, sticking, and jamming. I would have to double click the lock manually from the inside of the car twice - before it would unlock the back hatch, and it still would stick. Eventually the weight of the hatch, bearing on that small plastic cover over the back of the hatch lift, broke - completely in half and dangled. I ordered a new one online to replace. 35 bucks, installed myself. I have never had any oil or engine problems, fluids leaking or what have you - I just hit 200k and still have an engine that feels like it is brand new. No sputtering, nothing. Quiet and smooth.

Then, the tires. Oh the joy of low profile sport performance, STUPID expensive to replace, and stupid in the winter. Winter tires. HAHAHA. Yeah 800 dollars later. Forget that **. The brake pads are comparable to the thickness of a pack of gum. I have done my brakes probably - 25 times in 8 years. I am not kidding you. The hub assemblies. I have the back left and right both replaced numerous times. The back right 6 times, and the back left 2x. Now both my fronts are ** - apparently when it's been looked at by numerous mechanics, whoever pressed the bearings into the hub assemblies prior to my owning - I hope... but used the bearings after they stripped it. So it caused some major stress and damage to the hub assemblies... warping them, and causing me to have to replace my hubs, on all 4 tires now - going on 12 times.

I have never had such a ** experience with parts, not lasting as this car has done. It pisses me off because the engine is great. BUT Scion makes things difficult when you cannot just replace the bearings, you have to replace the entire hub because of the way it is built. The hubs - which have warped numerous times, which come to find out - WAS THE ISSUE CAUSING THE UNGODLY CONSTANT-OBNOXIOUS whirring noise for the entire duration of owning the car.

I have not been happy with the quality of the parts as far as the tires/hubs/bearings. I feel like they were poorly set up being the first gen of the Scion tC. However I do love the car and I have an emotional attachment - BUT - this problem no matter how many times I fix and replace the hubs keep warping. And I am seriously sick of paying 90 plus a hub assembly - only to get 4-6 months of drive out of it before another one warps on a different side.

Overall the assembly of the car and its drive system is **. A lot of the car interior, like the floor boards that have come apart - carpet has peeled up - the cd player stopped working- the lights have malfunctioned, the locks and window buttons have broken, and to top it all off... the sunroof- sticks when trying to close. And when it gets to the point in closing where it is about to retract down and seal, it backfires and re-opens itself all of the way. I literally have to stick my hand out the window - press it down and guide it over the track and allow it to seal...

Oh and the weather stripping - it's discolored, and the front strip on the wind shield that disconnected on the free way while I was going about 75 and it was smacking my Sun roof causing me to almost crash out of being startled. So, no. This car is great to look at - and maybe whip around in - but it's not economical as far as quality and performance.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Since I buying this car (October 2015) in Puente Hills Toyota, 17070 Gale Avenue, City Industry, CA. When I using the navigation system (GPS) using radio or not THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM'S VOLUME IS LOW AND CAN BARELY HEAR THE VOICE. I went today August 18, 2016 to Puente Hills Toyota and they only update but they not fixed, I can't use my navigation system because is unsafe to see the screen only when I am driving.

Original review: July 14, 2016

I own a 2011 Scion Xb with 35,360 miles on it. My transmission has gone out on it and I am 1 month and 6 days beyond the 60 month factory warranty and because I did not have the car regularly serviced at Toyota facilities they refuse to work with me. Again, 35,360 miles on a vehicle that was/is regularly serviced just not by Toyota dealerships. Toyota dealership told me $5000.00 to replace transmission when in fact it is just a solenoid within the transmission that needs replacing. I will not be having the necessary work performed by Toyota. Up until this experience I was very happy with the vehicle but, for this to occur 1 month and 6 days outside of the 60 month/60,000 mile warranty on a vehicle with 35,360 miles on it is ridiculous. That is what I call very precise, planned obsolescence.

Original review: June 23, 2016

The air condition unlike all of the other vehicles leaks inside my car. I have own many other cars and when I turn on the air condition it drips outside. Well in my Scion it drips inside my car. It is so bad that it has saturated my carpet all the way to the back of my passenger side. So I call the place that I bought the car to make an appointment and to find out if it is covered by the car manufacturer warranty. He says, "NO, it's not. It will cost a minimum of $125 and then you need to replace the carpet and that will run you around $1000.00." I was livid. Never heard of such a thing. Toyota sucks! Will never buy another Toyota.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I leased a 2013 Scion. After about 30000 the engine blew. Just like the other review there was no check engine light!! No warning, the engine just quit!! When the mechanics at Toyota checked it out they said there was no oil in it. I argued with Toyota but they refused to pay anything towards the resolution of the engine failure. I had to replace the engine out of pocket. SIX MONTHS later the replacement engine did the same thing. I'm so aggravated with Toyota who's got the money to replace 2 engines in the same year due to manufacturing defects. I repeat due to manufacturing defects! If it lost the oil and the dummy light didn't go there is obviously multiple defects! This Scion FRS is a piece of crap. Toyota needs to man up and stop being **!!!

Original review: June 1, 2016

I got a brand new 2016 Scion iA. I fell in love with it until after 6 months of ownership and less than 7,000 miles my display screen started to turn off while I was driving it! I've gone to the dealership three times to get it fixed and they tell me since they don't see what goes on they can't do anything to fix it! The customer service is beyond lazy, unprofessional and rude! I have several videos of my screen turning off while I am driving it and they keep insisting that nothing is wrong with it! I know my car. I've had it for a little over 6 months so I know that something is wrong with it, but because they don't want to get off of their lazy butts and find the problem I'm having to be terrified that something else might go wrong with it!

Original review: May 17, 2016

I am a full-time student which doesn't leave me as much time as I would like for work. I also have 2 dogs that ride around with me when I do have a day off. The AC in my 2009 Scion tC has stopped working yet again for a 3rd time. I get that the AC is a difficult thing to understand because of all the mechanisms that makes up the AC unit, but to have this problem 3 separate times is wrong. My sunroof squeals and it scares me, sometimes my car really shakes when I first start it. I have read that many people had trouble with their engine blowing out. I could not afford that and most importantly I am concerned for my dogs Buddy and Teddy's safety as well as my own.

I understand there was never any warning signs before everyone's engine blew. I've been disgusted with the service provided to me so I've been really reluctant in my decision to go in for service. I will never spend any money there or on another car from there. My AC should be covered under warranty. If not they can keep the piece of trash they sold me. I'd rather walk everywhere. This made me give at least one star, in my opinion they really deserve 0 stars.

Original review: May 9, 2016

My car had a knocking noise. Had the car towed to FRED HAAS Toyota in Spring, TX - they will not warranty the car because the engine had no oil. However NO notification lights came on to warn us of any low oil pressure, therefore I was not aware that the engine did not have oil. We have maintained this car within the 3 to 5000 miles. As matter of fact the car is well taken care of - it is our baby. I cannot get Toyota to provide any info as to WHY WE NEVER got a warning light on the car if the oil was low. They will not go into that nor do they want to discuss. FRED HAAS AND TOYOTA both have just said no oil so it is not warrantied. This is not acceptable since it is clearly a malfunction somewhere whether it is the oil pump and the warning lights. I want answers and this car is to be warrantied.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

My son recently had an accident. He lost control of his 2005 Scion tC. Hit a wall. According to appraiser, his car is totaled. Major front end damage. Neither airbags deployed. Is this something that has happened to others? I bought it used. Are car lots suppose to check on these things before they sell vehicles?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

Since I bought a new Toyota Scion tc in 2007, I've had issues I've never had with a Toyota before. I was a lifetime loyal but this vehicle: intermittently radio station rotates to static, the hatchback slams down on my head and the dealer would not fix it or the radio randomly will lose a station, the hatchback door kept slamming shut so hard that the securement latch on the bottom occasionally jams where the door cannot be opened at all (the dealer charged me to open it), the paint scratches if you sneeze on it, the floor board protectors came apart, the cover around the stick shift came apart, the front bumper broke the first time I pulled into a parking place with a curb stop on front, etc.

Since I bought it, Toyota has made national news for this dramatic decline in quality. On the upside it was reasonably priced, the people at the dealership are always nice even if they are not authorized to acknowledge or take responsibility for the issues and it has a lot of zip. They've lost my brand loyalty nonetheless and this was the 6th Toyota I've bought!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2015

I acquired this vehicle from my brother-in-law two years ago. I've noticed that when it rains, the rear seat floorboards end up soaking wet -- in some cases, with standing water. My cursory examination seems to indicate the problem is much worse when driven in the rain as opposed to a static situation. I am now suspecting that the rear wheels throw water up into the wheel well when in motion and that water gets in through the body and ends up on the rear floor.

I believe this may have been a problem for him as he complained about the 'smell' of mildew in the car but mistakenly believed it to be from a repair to the rear hatch that was improperly done by the Scion dealership he visited in Los Angeles, CA. He never established where the smell came from and of course, being California, it only rains a few months out of the year, so the problem would only present at certain times. I keep getting postcards in the mail from the local dealership telling they would like to 'buy my car' - towards a trade-in of course, and I think to myself, 'I would never buy a Scion or a Toyota again.' I am going to assess the car this weekend and attempt to establish if my theory is correct and, if so, I am going to clean it up and apply some spray-on rubber to points.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

Handle broke. A/c controls broke. Replaced belt more than once, never stops squealing. Driver side lock broke.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

Terribly frustrated with Toyota's Scion. I have an '05 Scion TC. My back door handle broke off because the part is plastic and wasn't designed to handle the weight of the door. This is a common issue for most Scion owners. I called to speak with both my local Toyota dealer and Scion corporate and both told me there was a warranty extension issued a few years ago, but it wasn't recalled. My car is an '05 and the warranty enhancement program only extends 5 years from the date of first use. So, now I'm out of luck. I can spend nearly $400 to get the part repaired, or drive with a dangling handle next to the Scion logo. Looks like Scion's going to look bad on this one.

Original review: July 2, 2015

I bought a 2007 Scion Toyota brand new, I did the oil changes and maintenance as required. I started having problems with the oil consumption. This has been the worst car ever. I am very upset that I have to frequently check my oil because it runs low. I'm a full-time student now and this car has been very inconvenient. I don't think I will ever consider buying another Toyota car again.

Original review: July 1, 2015

Well, it sure was a life changing experience to say the least. I am not a car-savvy user who knows ins & outs of how a car works and I admit that. But I am a layman who understands that when you get your car for a routine service and end up paying ~$500 for it, the least you can expect is the car works perfectly fine. What you do not expect is while you are going at 75MPH on a freeway, your car steering wheel freezes and within 30 seconds all the indicators start going haywire, you barely escape a life threatening accident and your wife has a panic attack in middle of all this!!

What you do not expect is then the service center to care so little for what has happened that it starts defending the work done earlier well before even inquiring if the people associated are fine!! What you do not expect is the engineer then gives you another $400 bill saying its for the battery and alternator failure! But guess what, Round Rock Toyota Scion, you tick all the boxes here!! Kudos to you for that!

Can I put a price on my wife's panic attack and a migraine that this caused her? Can I send that bill to you? Can I put a price on the trauma that I had to go through because of all this that made me miss the work??? To add to that, the reason I drove that car was because your agent asked me to add about 30 miles and get it back to the center the next day... Now I am not an expert, but it surely looks like you couldn't care less for customer's satisfaction, let alone his or her life! Thank you for the wonderful experience!!!

Now, your service manager was nice enough to give me a discount ($55!!!!) and I do thank him for that. But this has to be the worse customer service experience I've ever had in my life! Thank you for that!!! Also, if you intend to reply here, please do not ask me to call the service center again or try and tell or convince me that the "issues" that almost led to 2 accidents were all coincidental because I've heard that and I truly do not have any trust or time left in the excuses that you would make.

Original review: June 10, 2015

Had my 08 Toyota Scion for a year and motor went. No light telling me oil was low. I had the var towed to the dealership and said car needs a new motor. Way too much for me. Had another motor put in and a year later same thing happened. No oil again with adding oil every week. Took to mechanic and he said the exhaust seal need to be replaced. He took it for a test and the cat started banging. He said it was clogged and can catch on fire. The oil is all going into the cat. Every 60,000 miles he recommends replacing the cat. Ridiculous. This is the worse car and I am being treated unfair by the bank and the dealership.

Original review: June 2, 2015

My 2009 Scion XD had thick black smoke pouring out of the driver's side door after I started the car and rolled the windows down. It smelled like burning tires. I was in a crowded parking garage on the 4th floor. I turned the ignition off and ran away from the car because I thought it was going to go up in flames. Luckily the smoke disappeared...but not the putrid odor. I proceeded to drive home...but I was petrified the entire trip. I called the dealership the next morning and left a message. No one returned my call. I called back a total of 12 times....nothing....so I called back again. No one would help me. I took the fuse out that powers the windows and drove up to the dealership. I located a service advisor and told him what happened. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I'm really frustrated with this situation. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this type of problem?

Toyota Scion Company Information