2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.72/5

Scion is a division of Toyota that was shut down in 2016. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota Scion Reviews

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I bought my 2016 Scion iA preowned with 91k miles on it a month ago. For a Toyota product I expected better. Transmission made a whine noise and I had to get the dealer to replace it under their crappy used car warranty. Got it back and it made noises like the engine was falling out. Had it towed back to the dealer and they said mounts/dampers were loose so they tightened them up. Aside from these issues, two of the infotainment buttons stick to where they can’t be pressed. The infotainment screen has been cutting off while driving for no reason. Bluetooth connectivity and built in apps often don’t work. The car shakes like riding an old tractor when transmission is in gear. I don’t know what’s wrong with it now. Also, the rear door seals on both doors are falling down.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Not too happy with the dealer about the consumption oil in my Scion XB Toyota 2010. My car is having some issues about this and now the dealer and the headquarters are refusing to fix my car. They said that my car is over 150,000 miles and nothing they can do. I never received a letter from headquarters or the dealer about this issues. Thank You, Víctor **. Phone number **.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

2012 Scion xB paint peeling off of roof in sheets. Called Scion and Toyota and was told paint is no longer under warranty. I have never seen a car paint peel off down to the metal without having any damage to the car. Have been told that the manufacture did not put the binder in the primer, therefore the paint peels off. Since the parts of the car are painted at different locations, just the roof and side panels seem to be affect by the complete peeling off of paint to the metal.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have a 2012 Scion XB in which the paint on the roof and side quarter panels have been peeling. Spoke to local Toyota Dealer... never returned call. I now need to pay $2500.00 to repaint the vehicle as the original paint job was defective.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Scion TC is reliable and enjoyable to drive and economical to maintain. The interior is comfortable and the front seats give good support. The air conditioning and heating work well. The controls on the steering wheel are easy to use. I like the bucket seats, manual transmission gives a sporty feel to drive, adequate power from the engine, power windows, cruise control and good sound system, sporty handling, sufficient storage capacity to carry luggage on a trip. The wheels are attractive. However, the glass sunroof rattles and adds heat to the interior of the car in warm weather. The area behind the gas filler door traps dirt and is difficult to clean.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Scion?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I loved the Scion TC. It drove well, had good pick up, and good gas mileage. The car looked nice and had a moon roof that I loved. It had airbags all around, it looks and handles like a sports car, but is considered a car so the insurance isn't as high as that of a sports car. But if I could change anything about the car, I would make the ride a little smoother, and eliminate the blind spots.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had bought a Scion before and loved it. They were discontinuing that particular model so I bought the best largest in the line and am just as happy with it thankfully. My Scion xB is economical but it doesn't look cheap. It's sporty but not too rugged. The Seats are spacious and the ride is smooth. It's a fun car to drive and I always get compliments on it. The back seats are a little cramped, though. I've been told by passengers it's not the roomiest back there but making it bigger would make the car bigger and I like it's compactness.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Had my 2006 Scion TC for four years and has over 200,000 miles on it and I've had no major problems at all. I think I replace the alternator at one point. Tires because I drive a lot open that not a single problem.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

9 years ago today I bought my 2007 Scion tC within 2 years I had to replace my engine. There was no low oil warning indicators and the check engine light never came on. I’ve gone through numerous sets of tires… Not cheap either… The handle to my trunk broke off and had to be Gorilla glued back on. My sunroof refuses to close at times. And today I was left on the side of road yet again with a blown engine. I have two small kids and this car has been nothing but unreliable the whole time I’ve had it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I bought a brand new Scion xD in 2008. I was told this car was a Toyota made in Japan by Toyota under the Scion name (which has now been absorbed into Toyota itself) which was just a lower-priced line and was Toyota quality. My family owned Toyotas forever often keeping them 200k. I bought the Scion and quickly found out it was a crappy car nowhere near Toyota quality. The first thing that happened is that the tires wore out very quickly. When I went to get new ones I was told they were non-standard tires and cost a fortune. I serviced it at the dealer until the warranty ran out then took it to two reliable repair shops who both told me the same thing. The car has non-standard parts in it like very expensive spark plugs and that the way things are positioned oddly under the hood such that takes much longer to repair (equates to longer time to fix and higher labor costs).

I was fortunate not to have massive engine issues some reported but overall the car was of crappy quality and required many expensive repairs including replacing cylinder heads and alternators more than once. The last straw for me was having alternator issues while trying to evacuate for a recent hurricane. The next week I went started car shopping. This time I kept in mind that the "deal" I thought I was getting on the Scion is exactly what people mean when they say you get what you pay for!! The best part was that I was still considering a new Toyota when I noticed the regular lines like Corolla are now incorporating the crappy defunct Scions!! I can't imagine Toyota rebuilt the iM to incorporate Corolla parts once they decided to absorb it into the Corolla line even though unsuspecting buyers will think they are getting Corolla quality!!!

I highly recommend you don't buy anything related to the Scion line. I was working with a Toyota dealer who had the nerve to tell me this are quality Toyotas when I was trying to trade in a 2008 with only 73k miles on it because I just can't rely on it anymore. Needless to say, I now own a brand new Honda. The xD was a huge disappointment all the way around. Please do thorough research before buying the "new" Toyota models to make sure you're getting something that doesn't have these issues so you don't get screwed over like I did!

Toyota Scion Company Information