Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
2.83/5
Based on 18 reviews that contain star ratings

Honda Fit

The Honda Fit is a subcompact hatchback that is known for its great fuel economy. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

22 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Mechanically the car is great and I love that the car is so reliable. That's what made me want a Honda to begin with. I'm just disappointed in the quality of what is put on the inside. I didn't like the cheap carpet on the inside and the sub par fabric used on the arm rest. It's ridiculous that these things have worn completely out in my car when it's not even 6 years old yet. And the steering wheel faded quickly. I wouldn't expect anything luxury or high end in a Honda fit, but the carpet and materials used would meet some sort of quality standard. I wish that even though I purchased a cheaper model car, they'd include quality products on the interior so I didn't have the issues I do now.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I wanted a hatchback style car which Honda Fit is and it had just about everything I was looking for. The vehicle has gas mileage and decent space inside the vehicle. I like that the backseats fold down allowing tons of trunk space when needed. But I dislike that the backseats' headrests block the back window but that's the price I pay for with a hatchback and I've accepted that fact. I also love the simplicity of it compared to vehicles nowadays with built in touch screens, televisions, etc. With Honda Fit, there were no extra, fancy buttons or unnecessary features.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The Honda Fit is absolutely the best car I've ever owned. It's easy on gas, very reliable and super cute. One of the biggest selling points was how small the car was. I live in a very populated area, and having a car that's easy to park anywhere is a necessity. My husband and I call it our little rocket ship and I love it. I also love that it's a hatchback. It's easy to load up when I need to put stuff in the back, and it's great for summertime activities. I live near a drive in movie theater, so every movie I see this summer will be from my car! The only thing I would want to change would be to add some fun decals to it to make it look more like a cute.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Honda Fit is a small, sleek and sophisticated car. It's easy to park into spots because of the size and backup cameras. I like the silver color and the seat heaters. I also like the ease of the radio system and how it hooks up to Bluetooth and HDMI. Plus, I always love the way it drives, it's smooth, not too jumpy/Stop/Start. The mileage is amazing too, it only takes about 20 dollars to fill up an entire tank. However, I wish it had four wheel drive and was easier to take over snow and sleet conditions. It often gets stuck even if there is not very much snow, and while it handles well on ice it could certainly handle better.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I love my Honda Fit. It is a peppy hatchback, which is very convenient. I like that it is small because when I have to park in a parking garage it is much, much easier than parking a mini-van -- and I speak from experience! It is low profile and is a 5 speed manual. It has a split rear seat, which means you can fold down 1/3 of the back seat, 2/3s, or the whole back seat, depending on what you need it for. The only thing I might change about it is having a bit better acceleration, because when I am merging on the highway sometimes I wish it would GO FASTER, because Nashville traffic can be crazy. Other than that, I enjoy driving it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Fit?

Original review: May 5, 2018

I own a 2010 Honda Fit. I love this car. It still gets great gas mileage. The 2 main reasons I bought it 8 years ago were the gas mileage & the extra room in the back when you put the back seats down. Can haul a lot of stuff. It handles well and I'm hoping I can get a lot more years on it.

Original review: April 30, 2018

We were just returning home when the side curtain airbags on our 2015 Honda Fit deployed without reason or warning. Our car was totaled. Honda has done nothing about it all. They did offer to inspect car and run diagnostics on it but said we would have to pay for it until after the insurance already had the car. We have a police report that says the loss of the car was due to airbag malfunction. Honda says it's not proof. We also have pictures. They saw them too. I paid for an extra warranty on the car but Honda says it's no good because it's only a service warranty. Honda claims I refused their services but at first they were not free. I did refuse to pay for them.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I love my Fit, I've used it so much to move and travel. It is comfortable (I'm tall), and great on gas mileage (44 mph highway). Love the way it looks, plenty of room and problem free.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I bought my 2009 Honda Fit new. I searched online for a safe, small, reliable car as I’m a widow. I love this car. It has given me only problem when the fuse box went out this year (2018). The part was ordered and it was a easy fix. I get fantastic gas mileage when I go the exact speed limit and yes there is the road noise but I play the radio and do not notice it. I have hauled lots of things and the back seat goes down and there’s lots of room. The seats are comfortable and adjust easily. I plan on buying another one soon and the one I have will go to my daughter.

Original review: April 19, 2017

In 2014 purchased a 2012 Honda Fit. Consumer Union said it held together well and ran good. No problem until Jan 2017. Engine idiot light comes on with the VSA (vehicle stability assist) indicator light. I am worried, but the car seems to run normally. I was on a 30 mile trip in remote country. After some time (going up and down ridges, etc) the check engine light starts blinking. Car still runs fine. After another ten minutes it starts lugging down. I give it more gas, just gets worse. I pull off and turn off the car. After about ten minutes, I restart it and it runs OK (but idiot lights remain on). I drive home OK. Next day I attempt to drive 8 miles. Same blinking starts again. Can't get up a .5 mile hill.

Make U-turn and limp back to the closest repair shop in first gear. They say it's the #4 spark plug coil. They replace the plug and coil for $325. A few days later... Same problem. Drive slowly 50 miles to Honda dealership. After a 6 hour wait, they say that they've replaced all the 3 remaining plugs and coils. Charge me $725. I start to drive home. A half mile down the road... The same two idiot lights come on again. Go back to Honda of Shingle Springs, CA. Service writer says that, "It's probably the injectors. Come back in a few days and we will replace them all for only $750." And, he says, "If it's not the injectors then you will have to buy a new central electronic brain which is well over $1,000." I feel either Honda does not know their own product, or they have become another rip off dealership.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I purchased a used 2008 Honda Fit Sport in early 2014. Two years later, I began noticing that the red paint was fading, and has since faded quite a bit. I contacted American Honda Customer Service as there was actually a recall and extended warranty through 2014 on these vehicles since they skipped out entirely on the protective coat on the paint job. No one was ever notified of this recall or extended warranty. The people I spoke with at Customer Service completely shut me down saying that the warranty is no longer in effect and that my VIN number was not under those marked for recall, completely avoiding the actual issue. I called multiple times in attempt to reach a supervisor and was essentially denied that, and told that Honda would not admit fault nor do anything to resolve their own failure.

It was by far the worst Customer Service experience in my life. If they continue to wave away customer concerns and ignore customers in this way, then Honda will eventually not have any customers at all. I DO NOT recommend purchasing a Honda vehicle to anyone. DO NOT waste your money, because they do not care about you as a customer AT ALL.

Original review: June 29, 2016

The 2008 Honda Fit had problems from the get go, beginning with the Honda Fit stalling while in motion. Service Dealer in Rancho charged me over 500+ and said it was an unknown problem not A Recall. However, these cars were announced in the Media with this Stalling Issue. The car "FIT" has an electrical problem and will not run. Dealer claims it is was cause by the driver? Fee 2,400 for part - does not include labor. Should I continue? Whatever happens to the Helpful Honda folks? They used my money to buy gifts for other folks. My other 2010 FIT run okay, but Honda Services in poor. No more Hondas for the ** Clan.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport model painted in "blue sensation". Over the past year I have seen a huge deterioration in the clear coat. What started out as just little specks peeling has now mushroomed into large grey/white splotches like a foggy film and patches that have completely delaminated. This started well before the car was 6 years old but I was not really aware what was going on when it first appeared. I contacted my local Honda dealer, Santa Barbara Honda where the service manager, Scott, handled my complaint regarding the peeling clear coat and paint. He contacted American Honda Corp who agreed to A 60/40 split of the damage estimate to repaint the affected areas. At a total cost of $3500 this works out to about $2100 for them and $1400 that I would have to pay. I am in no way satisfied with this. So I just went back and talked with the dealer again who will contact Honda corp. and relay my dissatisfaction.

He said they could do anything from rescind their offer to pay for it fully. I am not ready to give up and let them win. Too many people have had to deal with this paint and clear coat delaminating issue and is an obvious defect that should be covered by the recall. Since my car model and year was not covered in a previous recall, the recall needs to be extended to some of the newer cars that are showing up with the same problem. I will say that I feel my local dealer has been very helpful and has worked to try to remedy the situation although, as he says, it is American Honda corp who makes the final decision and at this point it is on a case by case basis. I urge anyone else who has not had their paint problem taken care of to go through as many channels as possible to get satisfaction. Small claims court could be an option. I am including photos... one taken October 2015 and the other 2 taken April 2016 showing the deterioration.

Original review: April 2, 2016

My Honda Fit is less than a year old. When I had my winter tires removed I found out that the rear axle was badly bent. Took it to the dealer. They blamed it on a bump the car received while unattended in a parking lot even though the shop who fixed the bumper cover told me that wasn't possible. During the arguments with Blair Honda in Altoona, PA we weren't always told the truth and were denied access to the regional service manager. Eventually they paid for the axle and I paid for labor. This car is clearly not well made and my dealings with the folks who answer the 800 number convinced me that the corporate folk don't know the meaning of customer satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

I was in an accident on Nov 4, 2014. While I was pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake, my 2009 Honda Fit Sport suddenly accelerated with the RPM gauge pegged to the top. I hit the handicap pole after the car jumped the parking space curb and the engine was still revving high after impact. I had to turn off the car to stop the engine. Damage to car: bumper, edge of hood, airbags and seatbelt pulled completely away from side of car paneling. I was injured as well and had to seek medical attention. I contacted West Hills Honda in Bremerton, WA and Mike the Service Manager refused to accept any responsibility and advised me to contact Honda America in Torrance, CA. I spoke with Honda's claim rep Jennifer ** and she arranged for a field rep Robert from Honda to meet us at West Hills Honda.

Of course, they could find nothing wrong except for some engine codes P01701 and P0400, which Honda says was due to the accident (engine did not appear to be damaged after accident). As I was leaving the dealership an Employee had heard the conversation I was having w/ the service manager and said, "Just so you're aware I have driven a few Honda Fits on the lot and have had the same acceleration issue and almost hit a wall." Also, was told by West Hills Honda that the tire pressure code/light was on although all four tires had the right amount of air. He stated it could be an electrical issue. Hmmm maybe the ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CABLE was affected by this "electrical issue"? You think??????

Original review: June 5, 2014

I purchased a 2010 Honda Fit. I had to have the battery replaced after 2 years, after it wouldn't start. 2 years later, I had to get the battery replaced again. Honda tried to tell me it was the aftermarket starter I installed, and that I drive my car only for short trips, and refused to cover the cost, even though it was only 24 months old. I contacted Honda Canada, and after a 5 page letter and copies of my receipts they agreed to refund me the cost of the battery. They did however tell me that basically if a part has been replaced under warranty, that part does NOT carry a warranty, since you do not pay for it. Stupidest pile of BS I have ever heard of.

I purchased a portable battery pack from Canadian Tire so that I can start my car when this tiny, crappy battery gives out. Now I am having issues with the locking system. Twice my car, while parked, with no keys in it, has begun to continuously lock/unlock itself. After some reading online, it looks like Honda is aware of this defective door locking actuator issue, but they refuse to acknowledge it or fix it. There is a class action lawsuit in the states over it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2012

On Monday, I went shopping (in the store for about an hour), and when I came out, my car door was on fire. I called 911, and the fire dept. put out the fire. I had the car towed to my house. I was devastated. My mom, who has COPD ( a serious lung condition), opened the passenger side door and was hit in the face with smoke from the burning rubber. When I called Honda to see what the heck happened, they simply told me they could not do anything about it, that it was an accident. They told me if I had pictures, I could email them to their customer service inbox, and maybe, no promises, they may take a look at them.

They are going to base their decision on what to do with my car on photos that I took. The customer service rep also advised me to hire a fire investigator to determine what happened, out of my own pocket. I am sure that this is not cheap. I would also like to add that I went online, and can see that there were about 150,000 Hondas (model-Honda Fit) that were recalled, due to power window panels catching fire. When I mentioned this to the CSR, Simon, he basically disregarded me. What am I supposed to do now? I am simply asking Honda to fix what happened. I am not looking for any handouts or anything ridiculous, just for them to do the right thing. They are one of the biggest companies in the world.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

A tree fell on the road in front of me when I was traveling at 55 mph. I hit the tree head on and came to a complete stop. The airbags in my 2008 Honda Fit Sport did not deploy. The police that took my report said that they should have deployed in a frontal crash. The body shop said that the sensors on the Fit are too low and can't sense that a crash had occurred. The car was a total loss.

Original review: June 29, 2011

I just bought a new 2010 Honda Fit in January and committed myself to doing everything I could to keep it in top condition so that the car will last me for a long time - premium oil, car washes every week, other regular maintenance. I also live in Florida where love bugs are notorious for damaging car paint. During the love bug season, I washed my car at least 3 times a week and scrubbed the bug bodies off of the car before they could do damage. Now, I have numerous spots where love bugs have eaten through to the metal. I understand that my car washes might not have been perfect and that love bugs can do damage, but the damage is usually described as a "pitted" appearance in the clear coat - my paint is all gone! Because the damage is obviously from love bugs, Honda has failed to acknowledge that the level of damage done is way beyond normal and that their paint is of sub-standard (maybe even low) quality. Meanwhile, friends with older cars that only get washed, maybe once a month, have no damage like this at all.

I've gone back to the dealership 3 times and have kept in contact with a customer service representative from corporate headquarters for over a month. Basically, they've just given me the run-around. I was lucky enough to have purchased a paint protection package that is covering the current damage, but what about any future paint problems? After reading other posts and talking to several non-affiliated body shops, it seems as if Honda manufacturers do not use quality paint and clear coat. I still like my Honda Fit, but will definitely not be purchasing any other cars from this company in the future. Their lack of helpfulness in the matter is baffling and they won't even give me a written statement regarding their refusal for my records.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2011

I purchased a 2008 Honda Fit on Dec. 14, 2010. On Jan. 23, 2011, I rear-ended another vehicle when my brakes failed to engage. I had plenty of room to stop even though it was a sudden stop. But I had no brake function! I need a vehicle for work and I currently don't have one. My insurance is going to go up even though this was not my fault. The worst thing is that no one but my husband and close friends believe me and I have been treated as if I am a lunatic. My back and my knee still hurt.

Original review: May 18, 2010

Our 2007, Honda Fit burned up on a rainy Wednesday night last week (5/12) while parked in a downtown PA parking garage. There was apparently an electrical fire and the whole front end smoldered, burned and melted down. Thankfully, no one was hurt but the car is a total loss, along with its contents and smoke damage to the building. We're really glad it was not in our parent's garage attached to their new house that night. We had just taken the car to the local dealership on 4/29 (with 35,081 mileage) to have it serviced and to have the recall issue addressed regarding electrical fires starting in rainy conditions. What should we reasonably expect from our insurance company, the dealerships and the manufacturer?

Is there anything we should/shouldn't do? Do specific factors such as the recall, service and/or warranty status (36,000 miles/3 years - expiring 6/15/2010) make a difference? I used to love Honda, until my 2007 Honda Fit spontaneously combusted while sitting parked in a garage on May 12, 2010. I'm still waiting for someone from Honda to step up and take ownership of this problem --whether the Honda Dealer we bought it from, the Honda Service Center that had "fixed" the fire recall problem 10 days earlier or from the Honda corporate office. This sure isn't the reliability or customer service that I expected in buying a new car from them not even 3 years ago. Since when does "3-year warranty" translates as "talk to your insurance"?

Original review: May 20, 2009

My husband and I purchased a brand new 2007 Honda Fit in the August of ‘06. My husband was driving home on the night of May 7th when he started to smell something strange. After pulling over and checking under the hood and around the car, he could not figure out what was causing the smell. He continued to drive assuming that the smell may not have come from our car. He began to smell the same scent again and pulled over once more. At this point, he noticed that the power window console on the driver's side has melted. The buttons had melted into the arm rest and the side of the armrest was melted/concave as well. Our window was stuck halfway down and around the armrest was a dark burn mark.

After checking our Honda account to see if there were any recalls regarding this problem (there was not one), we immediately called Honda costumer service. We spoke to one of the representatives their and explained the whole story. She seemed unconcerned and referred us to our local Honda dealer and gave us a listing of all the locations close to us. We brought our car to Middletown Honda on Friday, May 8th and we were told by the dealer that they only had one electrician and that we would have to stop by first thing Monday morning to get our car looked at by the right person. We were told no appointment was needed.

When we got to the dealership Monday morning when it opened, there were already several other people waiting for the same electrician. When we sat to wait, we were asked for our appointment information. Upset by this, we explained what we had been told on Friday, but the receptionist for service told us that we couldn't be seen without an appointment. We made one for the next time available which was on Friday, May 15th. Well, we never made it to that appointment.

While my husband was at work the night of May 14th, our car caught fire while in a packed parking lot. Both the fire department and police had to come, the driver's side door completely burned melted, as well as most of the seat, visor, etc. Our insurance has deemed that the fire was caused by electrical failure and they are totaling the car and will be paying Honda. This leaves us high and dry. When we contacted the complaint department at Honda, we were told they would open a case of their own to investigate. That was on Monday, May 18th. We got a call back from Honda on May 19th who advised us that because there is no known defect with the wiring, they would not replace our car.

This whole situation has been emotionally draining. We have not found out the amount our insurance will pay Honda yet, the only way we will get anything is if they pay more than what we owe on our financing. Honda refuses to provide us with a new vehicle despite the fact that someone could have been seriously hurt due to the defect. As of right now, we are scrambling to figure out if we can afford a down payment on a new or used vehicle or if we can even get a loan in the current car buying environment. We feel that no one is protecting our best interests and we will definitely never buy a Honda again.

Honda Fit Company Information