Dodge Avenger - Safety Problems

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Dodge Avenger 2012 - On November 5th 2016 I drove my car from work to home approximate distance 15 miles. As soon as I parked my car on driveway it catches fire. I got locked in the car because computer system got caught on fire. Somehow I got out. I called fire department to burn out the fire. They took little longer and my windshield explode with smoke going through A/C Vent. I will not recommend anyone to buy dodge product. I almost got killed in this incident.

I purchased my 2012 Dodge Avenger brand new in the same year. I have always liked the vehicle until out of the blue strange things have gone on and have continuously gotten worse. Brakes need to be replaced at 25k miles. Airbag lights come on at around 50k. I notice white residue all over my dash even though I constantly wipe down. I finally take it in and I'm told it will be anywhere from $1000.00 to $1500.00 to replace some module and reset airbags. Brake need to be replaced again at 52k, then again at 68k.

Now at 85k, I'm driving to work today, and my battery light goes on...out of the blue...I soon find myself pulled over and every dash light is now flickering and car is acting as if it will stall...but doesn't. Radio powers off, heater shuts off but car is barely running. I get back on the road and continue my drive to a local university where I attend grad school and work part time. My car never got above 20mph. I made the 4 mile commute to campus, pull into the parking ramp and as I pull into a spot to park, it dies. Doesn't turn over, no clicking, nothing. This was at 8am. I just went out to check on it on my lunch, car starts. But then immediately stalls. So here I sit currently, with a car I now have to have towed somewhere to find out what this new issue is. UNBELIEVABLE!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???

I purchased my Avenger 01/30/2014 and I have had several problems with the electrical and brakes. I have also experienced problems with my windows rolling down by themselves and my not being able to get it back up. When I take it to the dealer all they say is it didn't happen when we tested so there is no way for us to tell where the problem is located or coming from. I bought this car brand new with only 7 miles on it and in this past year alone I have had some many problems. I have spoken with the service manager and now I have gone further and reached out to the Attorney General Office in Georgia to assist me with this problem and I also contacted a Georgia New Lemon Law Attorney. I purchased this car in hopes of getting a good vehicle but boy was I wrong.

I know cars break down, but this is overdoing it. My 2008 Dodge Avenger made with cheap plastic parts, is 1 thing. AAA had towed me far too much. Other repairs I thought were just normal, like, alternator and serpentine belt busting. I Replaced 2 window motors at $350.00 each, and 2 more are broke. Trunk only opens from the inside. There's a loud clicking noise. Worst of all the car died in heavy traffic jam, putting me in full panic. It took the shop 2 weeks to determine computer went bad. There's none to be found, because dealerships have replaced 100's. Used one located. Also solenoid sensors replaced. $1000.00 repair. Really?? I still owe 2 grand on my loan. That could of been a down payment. I'm seriously physically sick, as the car is the means to my paycheck. I can't afford these repairs. Extremely disgusted with Dodge.

I have had to replace my brake pads on my 3 yr old car 3 times this year and engine blew. I have owned a lot of cars but this is too much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge?

Bought this car new in 2013. Within days the brakes sounded like metal on metal. Embarrassing. They got louder so we took it back in the dealership. Fixed our brakes about 4 times. We then started paying for new brakes every few months. I'm afraid of this car. The company said it was a characteristic of the car so they won't do anything else. The brakes went to the floor with me and I almost backed into a pole! The brakes also hold and cause the transmission to slip or hold. The company refuses to do anything else. Is there a litigation against these people for these cars? Brake light on again and the squealing has begun again.

I purchased my Avenger in 2014 brand new with 1,100 miles on it. So far I've had to replace 3 of the 4 tires due to the brakes kept going out. They've been replaced now three times. I've had to replace the fuel pump twice. And today I was on my way home from work and something popped and I had a hard time coming to a stop. Thank God my children were not in the car with me and I thankfully didn't hit anybody or anything. So when I finally made it home I checked and my brake fluid is draining down the tire. I'm wondering if that would be the master cylinder?

I purchased a brand new 2014 Dodge Avenger in June of 2014 and within one month I had to take it back in as the brakes were not stopping. I would have to step on them repeatedly to get the car to slow down. They replaced the brakes and yet the problem continued. I took the car back and again they looked at it and had to replace the master cylinder. The car has continued to have difficulties stopping appropriately. There is no traction or umph in the slightest weather. The tires just spin and the car goes nowhere. It is by far the worst and scariest feeling.

Today I drove 24 miles round trip with a 2 1/2 hr break and when I got home the oil dipstick had popped and spewed oil all over. I have no clue what would cause this to happen but this is my last straw. The sad part is I will be stuck with this car and its problems as the dealerships are protected and we the consumers have no leg to stand on. DO NOT BUY AN AVENGER EVER!!!

I purchase a brand new 2014 Dodge Avenger. After 6 month the check engine light came on. The day I took it to the dealer the light went off. I still wanted them to check the car for but the service person said that it can be because of a loose gas cap two after it came back on. I tried to make an appointment for them to check it but they kept on telling me the have so many recalls they don't have any open appointment. In March of 2015 I attempt to come to a stop and the car accelerated at the stop sign and there was the officer to pull me over and gave me a ticket. Thought nothing of it. Cover the cost.

April 2015 the car accelerated again, cause an accident. Call Dodge and Chrysler filed a complaint with them regarding check engine light and acceleration. They sent an inspector out who canceled a schedule appointment with a dealer only for him to check it in the parking lot of my job and shortly after that I received a letter saying that they found no issues with the car but it continues to accelerate and the engine light still on no matter how much I tighten the gas cap.

Now the car won't crank and heavy smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Miss three days of work and they're giving me the run and telling me it out of warranty when it clear document that I file a complaint and dealer charging me $500 to fix no loaner, no rental, out of work three days and my case is with Chrysler special investigation team and they will call me back in three days. The service person advise, "Oh the problem, not that bad. You can come and pick up the vehicle and pay $150.00 until Chrysler calls you back." Really!! I really like the make and model but I honestly feel unsafe and I don't know what else to do. Want them to accept responsibility and acknowledge the complaints that all these consumer like myself is complaining about, regarding same model has to be something wrong and accepts accountability and fix it calls for a recall. This is my only source of transportation.

I bought brand new 2013 Dodge Avenger. Since day one I having been having unresolved issues with transmission. I've been having problems like rough shifting extreme shuddering while coasting bucking and clunking. I been to the dealership many times and they will not even acknowledge that there is a problem. So I decided to call Chrysler customer care, yeah I might as well have been talking to wall because they didn't make any effort to do anything, it was just a complete waste of my time. The transmission is called the 62te and there many complaints about unsolved transmission problems like I'm having. Also my a/c is broken on two year old car with 64k on it. Please save yourself time and money, do not buy a Chrysler product.

I have a 2014 Avenger SXT blacktop, winter package. This car has all the bells and whistles. The car has been in and out of the shop for 3months now. This is the fourth time for the same issue. I have been working with the Dodge Customer Care dept. since day one. I have had 3 representatives so far and they do absolutely nothing. The car will not shift out of third gear, it jumps into limp mode which will only go 50 mph and revs to 5,500. The dodge customer care and the dealer make me drive it like that 70 miles to the dealer I bought it from as they are the only dealer that will provide me with a loaner. This car is not safe and I live in snow country, which will be falling soon. I have started arbitration with the Attorney General for NY State. I will keep you posted.

Horrible car. I thought it in mid-2007 as a model year 2008 due to styling which I liked. Constantly in the shop. Leaking trunk, replaced stereo and one of the speakers. The final blow was the engine dying whenever it was damp out which meant manhandling it over without power steering to a shoulder even in heavy traffic when it died which was often. Chrysler dealers (several) said it was a known issue but no fix yet available. I drove it to a Ford dealer the next day and traded it in after two years for a Fusion. Worst car I ever owned, will never buy Chrysler product again. WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.

My Dodge 1st broke down June 9 2015 while driving. It just stalled and we pulled over. Car had 40000 miles under warranty, towed it to Dealer. They fixed it. (transmission) Then July 21 same thing in traffic. Towed it to the nearest dealership again! They overhauled transmission. 5 days later this time on freeway the same thing occurred Luckily by the off ramp and coasted it to nearest place. Towed it again to nearest dealership. They said they fixed it July 29. I am so afraid to drive this vehicle now. I will no longer drive it! They can have it back, my family's safety comes first. Purchased another Vehicle... 2015 Chrysler 200. Now I hear bad reviews on that! I have had no problems with it yet. Cross my fingers! Funny how they recalled only the Dodge Darts for slipping transmission.

I purchased a new 2014 Dodge Avenger August 2014. The brakes has been squeaking from the time I got the vehicle. I have taken the car to service dept a total of 3 times and they're saying they can't find the problem. I've been dealing with this annoying squeak for too long. Now at 20000 miles the engine light has came on. I purchased a new car to avoid these kind of issues.

I got my Avenger 39,000 miles and it's scary to drive. Feels like the whole front suspension is going to bail on me. I heard they're going to scrap the Avengers anyway.

I purchased a 2014 Dodge Avenger the last part of 2013. Less than a year I had to put a set of tires off the vehicle. The side of the tires was peeling. A oil leaking was next and then alternator and battery and now brakes. Cost without brakes almost $2,000. Bought car new. Problems might have come from the factory but it is costing me too much money.

For those of you that have an Avenger. I did a complain directly to Dodge corporate in MI. Contact customerassistant@chrysler.com. They do listen and we correctly have a case pending. My 2014 Avenger had 13 miles when I got it. 1 1/2 months later it started it wouldn't turn over to start. It's a new car. Been dealing with this since. The breaks squeak too. Since looking car horrible issues.

UPDATED ON 09/24/2015: AVENGER OWNERS NEED TO UNITE!!!! IF YOU WANT YOUR CAR FIXED, REPLACE, REIMBURSE!!! 2014 Avenger Black Top Edition continues to not start. Let me stranded a few times. It's been at the dealership now 5 times since last post. They have kept my car for 3x's 11 days, 4 days, 5 days at service. I was told that they would drive it around bla bla bla cry me a river!! Not even one thing done on the car. Corporate doesn't help that all. They are trained to just read you the manual of procedures that they can provide you with. Don't give in. My attorney and I are working on the next step. Will keep you posted. Keep pressing on them until you get what you want.

I owned a 2008 Avenger and can attest that it wasn't that great; however in 2010 after a slew of problems I traded in for the 2011 Avenger Lux and never looked back. The only problems I've had with it were that the battery died after 4-5 years (typical) and the brakes squeaked a lot (switched to EBC pads and slotted rotors, seems to be fine now), oil change every 5k miles with full synthetic, have never leaked so much as 1 drop of any fluid and I've had the car for 5 years now this month, all it needs now is new headlights and new struts… Typical maintenance, zero issues, solid thumbs up the new Avenger is awesome. It's just a shame they discontinued it in 2015.

My husband bought this car brand new. 2 weeks later when you back up the brakes squeal so loud my neighbors come outside. Took it to Allen Samuels Dodge. They said nothing they can do - to call the manufactors. I did. They said it was no recall on the problem. It is the material they used for the brakes and nothing they can do about it. Now the ABS light is on. Took it to a few places. They are saying the tire sensors need to be changed, brakes need to be replaced and rotors. I would never buy another Avenger ever. I really want to go park it in the lot and walk away. My son bought the exact same car and he is having the same problems, but the manufactors say no recalls.

We bought a 2008 Dodge Avenger in 2009 and have had nothing but problems. First immediately we had an issue with the automatic tire gauges. It always shows that the tires are low coming to find out we were told that the battery could be bad and I'm they need to be replaced. Auto Parts close to 45 dollars a piece plus installation just to get the light to go off / on the inside of the car. Next, we had an alternator go bad 1 year after purchasing it. Bearings went out and the alternator, I replaced it and every place two more cents for a total of 3 alternators on the car. When I called to ask about warranty, they said we were out of warranty and we were on our own.

We have gone through for SAT, the front brakes including calipers, rotors, pads to set the calipers frozen. Let's have also had to replace the struts because it's wearing the tires so dramatically. We've gone through for 5 sets of tires as well. Our newest this year was the PCM. It’s not sending the signal to the transmission module which one allowed to shift every third gear and this is on a 2008 Dodge Avenger. Time after time we have also had to change batteries. We've gone through three batteries as well.

This is the worst car in that we have ever owned. It always has a new problem and that the cost to have it fixed at the shop it's outrageous. Just to change your battery, you're looking at about 220 dollars with the battery and labor 715 to 900 dollars to replace the alternator. Luckily, I'm kind of think line and I've been able to do the work myself unfortunately, though not everyone is and it starts to be very, very expensive and I said now we have a problem with the PCM and replace a computer is new to me but we're going to give it a try and see. If that doesn't correct the problem, we will never buy another Dodge. On a positive note, we get compliments on how the car looks all the time but looks don't make the car run. Congratulations to Don’s beautifully designed car on the exterior of the drive train in the mechanical is a complete failure. Hope this helps someone to see your not the only one with these continuous problems.

I was approaching a stop sign, in my 2013 Avenger purchased 2 years ago, brand new, which by the way had an oil change and inspection the day before). I hit the break, and the car did not stop. I went across the highway and landed in a ditch. My child and I were removed from the vehicle and sustained injuries.

I just financed an 2012 Dodge Avenger. 1 week after I got the car, the back driver side window went down and wouldn't go back up. My brakes squeak so loud I got my rotors resurfaced - the squeaking continued. I got an oil change last week and they tell me I have an oil leak.. at this point I'm ready to return the car. I'm already having too many problems just two months in...

Yes, problems occur with all cars. It is how the client needs are met (or not met) that impact return business. Passenger side floor started filling up with water. I called the dealer and was quoted $120.00 to look at the problem. 3 year old car, not covered under warranty. Advised that I should expect to spend another couple of hundred to fix the problem. Worst customer service ever. I will never ever buy a Dodge ever again. No one in my family or social network (+5000) will ever consider buying a Dodge. Back in the 1990's I had an issue with a Chrysler K-car that stalled in the rain. The dealer said the water came in through the front grille. Repairs were not covered. Fast forward to 2012, I'd forgotten how many times my old Dodge would be dead by the road waiting to dry, and my worst nightmare came flooding back when I saw the new Chrysler filling with water.

I bought this junk used 2013 and 30k and less of 90 days the a/c compressor is bad and making a loud noise. Lot of electrical problems, bad brakes and the worst part the warranty do not cover a new a/c compressor. I have to spend 1,200 to fix the a/c. Somebody know some law can help me with the dealer.

Bought my 2012 Dodge Avenger R/T with 7 miles on it. Looks great but within the first week, my back brakes were screaming. I took it in right away and the dealership said it was fine. They still scream! Very embarrassing!! I've replaced my front struts 4 times!! In the past year, my check engine light has come on. I quickly had a diagnostic (185.00) that came up with an exhaust code but nothing was wrong with it. They cleared the code and sent me on my way. My brake light comes on at random times. Again took it in and they say nothing is wrong.

Today is my breaking point!! Drove fine all day, no noises and no lights came on. Parked it at a movie theater and came out and the car will not start. My security light is on, my engine light is on, and my electronic something or another light is on. I only owe 11,000 but I'm seriously considering giving this car back and never looking back. Nothing but a headache, waste of time and money! If by chance you think you are getting a good deal, think 90 times before you buy it! I wouldn't pay a dollar, I wouldn't even think about taking it for free!

Bought this vehicle brand new in January 2013. I loved the way it handled in the snow with the abs. We even drove it to Florida that February. Now exactly 2 yrs from the date we left for Florida I was driving in town and a car in front of me suddenly decided to turn. I hit the brakes and..... NO BRAKES!! Not even a skid mark! The car kept going and I hit the vehicle in front of me totaling my Avenger and me a trip to the hospital, very badly bruised and banged up from the airbag!

The passenger bag also went off. There was a short that filled the car with smoke! Lucky I wasn't knocked unconscious or I would have had smoke inhalation also! Stopped smoking when I turned off ignition. I turned the key again just to check and sure enough it immediately started to smoke again and I could hear the crackling sounds this time!

I definitely advise against buying an Avenger of any year. Nothing but a pile of junk and a pile of doctor bills!! I thank God that I didn't have any passengers with me at the time. I usually picked up my 2 and a half year old grandson with this car! Chrysler investigated the crash and insists there is nothing wrong with the breaks or airbag!! Police ticketed me for inattentive driving! Because there are no skid marks I didn't attempt to stop!! AVENGER OWNERS PLEASE REPORT THESE PROBLEMS SO CHRYSLER WILL FIX THE ISSUE BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED. This car is a death trap!!

Brake squealing yes. Dealer no solution - rough shifting transmission water leaking into trunk and back seat floor power window stopped working. Many problems with the dealership and Chrysler. I've always been Mopar man. I own 4 Dodges - this Avenger RT is by far the worst I've had but it also makes you rethink your dedication to Chrysler. My next new car will not be Chrysler but I will research my choice next time instead of trusting the quality of Chrysler. It's almost paid for with 65000 miles on it so good luck to whoever gets it when I trade. I think I'll research Lexus. Never owned anything but Chrysler GM and Ford. Maybe I'll try a foreign-based car now at 53 yrs old. Yes I know the big 3 are mostly foreign now. Detroit is dead.

As someone else mentioned right away after buying my 2011 Dodge Avenger my batteries squeaked also when I back up! Ever since I got the car! I have had it looked at and they can't do anything about it... Now my battery light is coming on so we went and got a new battery. After that now the light is still coming on so it has to be something else! Probably the alternator! Does anyone else know what it can be? I'm not too happy about this car!

We bought the car new, the brakes squeals real loud when you back up. This started about two or three months after we bought it. Gulfgate Dodge tried to fix it by resurface the rotor and put new pads but it started back, it went back two times. So now we are being told there is nothing more to do. And I have asked other people, some are having the same problem. Chrysler says there is that can be done. Seems to me the material that they used is bad.

I buy this car used with 9000 miles and I been problems since I buy the car the check engine light come on for no reason and when is on, the car won't start with the remote. And today I was driving the car and it just turn off itself and I cannot start it. So I hear a lot of people is having problems with this car, so I'm not recommended this car to nobody.

Dodge Avenger - Safety Problems Company Profile