Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.47/5
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Avenger

The Dodge Avenger is a mid-size sedan that was discontinued in 2014. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

95 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

On November 15th, 2018, on the way to my daughter's basketball game from work, my 2013 Dodge Avenger, which I loved, starting to stutter and stall. The oil light, the check engine light, then some other weird light above the engine light came on. I pulled over on the side of the Interstate, and smoke started pouring from my hood. I jumped out of the car, and it blew up 3 minutes later, a loud pop from the engine, and my pretty Billet Silver Dodge was charred black! I had just had the oil changed and new tires 2 months prior, and was nearing another oil change when this happened. My insurance hasn't processed anything yet, and I am left with a $970 beater I picked up for cash I had to borrow!

I found several recalls on the Dodge Avenger, some of which were for the fuel system, so I called in my VIN to a dealership. They say my car was NOT part of this recall... That, I think, is BS. How does a 5 year old car blow up?? I am convinced I had an issue with a fuel line in the front, as when I jumped out, a passerby stopped and yelled "There's flames" and I looked and flames were literally DRIPPING from under the front of the car right before it blew up. I have pictures of my car, the fire dept. putting out the fire on I80 during rush hour. It's a sad sight!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

A very forgotten part is the tipm. Or the fuse box entirety. Basically they compare it to your car being possessed. Both problems will make you want to set your car on fire. The tipm is very expensive just because they make them. There's not a lot out there and everyone who wants one it's on backorder seriously. To be worse it costs $1200 to fix. Not covered by warranty, I tried. I thought bumper to bumper meant all but I guess not.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I own a 2013 Dodge Avenger. Read a lot of crazy things about this car but there all over and I know 2 people with same car. I have the v6 and it is very nice. Just flushed fluids. Only electrical problems like rear defrost or tpms sensors I've seen. I don't think it was wired any good but the motor and transmission are pretty reliable. I say if you're thinkin about it they've never been more affordable. If you get an extended warranty I think you will be ok.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased a used 2014 Dodge Avenger in 2015. Little to no problems until 2018. Small things like a clicking sound when I turn the air/heat on and off. Short in the turn signal switch which causes the overhead light to come on and off by itself. Can't adjust the dash lights because of the switch. Passenger side window quit working.

By far the biggest problem...driving down the road almost home after driving 1 hour away and back. No noticeable problems until loss of throttle control. ETC light and traction light both come on. Pushing on pedal gets no engine response. 2 mechanics look at car and determine that the throttle body needs replaced. It was checked and was showing as bad (I don't know how they checked it). Picked up the car. Less than a mile away from shop, same lights on, inability to accelerate, plus the engine light is now on. So I take it back. It was showing a possible air leak when the codes were run. It was left to be checked again.

Final determination was to check the map sensor. It was reading as bad. So it was replaced. Go to pick car up a second time. 2 miles from shop...same problem. Mechanic is convinced that the number one problem is a bad PCM which is in turn reporting bad sensors (which aren't bad) and possibly still a bad throttle body. Current mileage 131000.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

There was always something wrong with my car, even though I purchased it brand new. The dealership could never find the problem either. An axle broke on the car which caused me a lot of damage and headache. I mean it was always something! WORST CAR I EVER HAD!. I'm scared to purchase another vehicle from Dodge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Avenger?

Original review: May 2, 2018

Dodge Avenger - It is a 2011 and the car is cute. Mine is black with a spoiler and I get lots of compliments on its appearance and interior. It had some significant recalls when I first bought it (first the trunk would not seal and rain would pour in; then the engine head cracked and had to be replaced). Since then, it has run very well, and I keep driving it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Bought a 2011 Dodge Avenger from Percy Auto Sales and for the past 2 years and several hundreds of dollars I still have a heater that blows cold air. I have flushed the radiator and heat core 3x. Replaced temp sensors controls. Replaced etc. Each flush produced a lot of sand. I feel Dodge should come good for this or make it a recall. I have seen 100s of complaints regarding the same issue!!! It's a joke! I think I am changing companies on my next car purchase.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

No one has ever got back with me for any complaint for this Dodge Avenger 2008 model. 2.4 Liter ES. The transmission went out at just over 100K. I went ahead and got a new one because after all was said and done, getting a different car was not going to work out for me and if I parked this one, who would want it in this shape? Now at 125,000 Miles, I have the AC heater CLICKING disease, just found a cure for it but still what the heck man, Auto Zone has been great about the alternators, I just got another one 5K ago, lifetime warranty. There is a FLAW in the brilliant idea <-- sarcasm, of having a clutch inside the pulley to supposedly save fuel, the new alternator RIGHT now is already making noise at 5K. On the plus side, determined to never let this car beat me, I can change out an Avenger alternator in just under 15 minutes. That is saying a lot since before I got this car I was only ever so often, working on lawn mowers, just if I had to.

I was getting a tire repaired at Les Schwab a while back, the tire repairers work partner said he noticed something about the rear alignment, they hooked it up to some machine for free me and determined THIS CAR has a tracking problem that is NOT adjustable and is the way it is FROM THE FACTORY. Hence my constant battle with uneven tire wear and drifting more than I thought was normal. All the speakers on the left side are out... The clicking sound is loud and you would have to be completely deaf to not notice it. Happens every single time you adjust the air, hot or cold does not matter. This year however (2017) Doorman and a few other companies are carrying this part number to fix it with, 604-029, I have not got around to it yet. THE PAINT is AWFUL, this car looks like it's been beat to hell, it's chipping away all the time, the plastic body parts are all loose up front.

Engine lights on again at 115K. Turned out to be P2004 code, intake manifold failure, you can buy the manifold runner control valve BUT, it will go again super fast if you reuse your old manifold. This is another flaw, a serious one since this motor is a WORLD motor I am told and it slapped into TONS of cars/what you have to do to fix it proper is get an entire new manifold. I searched for a month to find a deal for right at 260.00. The dealership, well let's just say they are insane, nearly a 1000 repair they said. This FLAW is due to the placement of the plastic valve set to collect huge amounts of residue from the exhaust, an oily thick garbage filled gunk builds up on the levered doors and the valve goes up and sticks.

This reduces fuel mileage, it reduces it from day 1 brand new to the final point of lights on the dash and codes that will not allow you to pass inspection. The guy at the inspection booth literally told me not to even try again or I would be fined because I tried 3 times. I will not ever buy a Dodge again unless it has ZERO computers, I'm talking OLD SCHOOL. I will be lucky to get 2k out of this. I have scars from this car, this car has cost me thousands of dollars that it should never have, I don't even feel like I have a Dodge, I feel like I have a Yugo.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Bought 2010 Dodge Avenger and it ran good for a couple weeks. I stopped at Tractor Supply and when I returned to car it would not crank and not start. All the lights and everything worked fine but nothing happened when you turned it to start. I had to have it towed. I looked online and found that hundreds of Avenger owners were having the same problem, but no recalls were issued. I tried everything that was suggested and nothing worked. Now I have to pay to have it taken to a dealer.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I seen so many bad review on this car. The Ford Focus I had drop valve at 80000 miles. My 2008 Dodge Avenger is a 2.7 FFV. Has over a 110000 miles. All that's been replaced is front brake pads twice, rest once, and spark plugs. Just replaced both front bearings from curb damage to right wheel. So I replaced both. This car has good acceleration, shifts great and very comfortable on interstates. Very happy with my purchase and would buy again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I bought the car used one year ago with 91,000 kms. Since I purchased the car the front brakes had to be replaced, rotors and brake pads. On Thursday, February 16, 2017, While I was driving home, the engine suddenly lost power. The car didn't stall, it just wouldn't accelerate. I had to drive about 20 kms per hour the entire distance home. The engine appeared to want to stall as I was driving. Since I purchased this vehicle, I have only put 10,000 kms on it. When this happened two warning lights appeared in the dash. The first light was the car with the squiggly lines. This is the ESP Light or Electronic Stability Control Light or Traction Control Light. When this light comes on, it means that the car is losing traction. I did not have the ESP system turned on when this occurred.

The other warning light was the lightning bolt. This warns of a potential concern with the throttle control. It also indicates that I could experience a rough or racing idle or engine stalling, of which I experienced the latter. I spoke to a mechanic and he indicated that the car is not safe to drive in this state. A costly repair would be imminent. This safety issue could have caused a fatal car accident if I was driving on the highway when this happened. This is a life threatening issue.

Apparently from research, this has happened to other Dodge Avenger owners and there has been no bulletin or recall issued. Will someone have to lose their life before something is done? Is Dodge going to repeat the same error as GM with the Cobalt and just let people die before an effective repair is produced? On February 18th, because I didn't want to drive this car, it was sitting in the driveway and the car had unlocked itself and the running lights were on and the back lights were flashing. This was after I had locked the car the previous evening with the key fob. Is this another expensive repair? Any Chrysler product will not be on my new car list. No one should have life threatening issues with a vehicle they depend on.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Dodge Avenger 2012 - On November 5th 2016 I drove my car from work to home approximate distance 15 miles. As soon as I parked my car on driveway it catches fire. I got locked in the car because computer system got caught on fire. Somehow I got out. I called fire department to burn out the fire. They took little longer and my windshield explode with smoke going through A/C Vent. I will not recommend anyone to buy dodge product. I almost got killed in this incident.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I purchased my 2012 Dodge Avenger brand new in the same year. I have always liked the vehicle until out of the blue strange things have gone on and have continuously gotten worse. Brakes need to be replaced at 25k miles. Airbag lights come on at around 50k. I notice white residue all over my dash even though I constantly wipe down. I finally take it in and I'm told it will be anywhere from $1000.00 to $1500.00 to replace some module and reset airbags. Brake need to be replaced again at 52k, then again at 68k.

Now at 85k, I'm driving to work today, and my battery light goes on...out of the blue...I soon find myself pulled over and every dash light is now flickering and car is acting as if it will stall...but doesn't. Radio powers off, heater shuts off but car is barely running. I get back on the road and continue my drive to a local university where I attend grad school and work part time. My car never got above 20mph. I made the 4 mile commute to campus, pull into the parking ramp and as I pull into a spot to park, it dies. Doesn't turn over, no clicking, nothing. This was at 8am. I just went out to check on it on my lunch, car starts. But then immediately stalls. So here I sit currently, with a car I now have to have towed somewhere to find out what this new issue is. UNBELIEVABLE!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

I purchased my Avenger 01/30/2014 and I have had several problems with the electrical and brakes. I have also experienced problems with my windows rolling down by themselves and my not being able to get it back up. When I take it to the dealer all they say is it didn't happen when we tested so there is no way for us to tell where the problem is located or coming from. I bought this car brand new with only 7 miles on it and in this past year alone I have had some many problems. I have spoken with the service manager and now I have gone further and reached out to the Attorney General Office in Georgia to assist me with this problem and I also contacted a Georgia New Lemon Law Attorney. I purchased this car in hopes of getting a good vehicle but boy was I wrong.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I know cars break down, but this is overdoing it. My 2008 Dodge Avenger made with cheap plastic parts, is 1 thing. AAA had towed me far too much. Other repairs I thought were just normal, like, alternator and serpentine belt busting. I Replaced 2 window motors at $350.00 each, and 2 more are broke. Trunk only opens from the inside. There's a loud clicking noise. Worst of all the car died in heavy traffic jam, putting me in full panic. It took the shop 2 weeks to determine computer went bad. There's none to be found, because dealerships have replaced 100's. Used one located. Also solenoid sensors replaced. $1000.00 repair. Really?? I still owe 2 grand on my loan. That could of been a down payment. I'm seriously physically sick, as the car is the means to my paycheck. I can't afford these repairs. Extremely disgusted with Dodge.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have had to replace my brake pads on my 3 yr old car 3 times this year and engine blew. I have owned a lot of cars but this is too much.

Original review: May 12, 2016

Bought this car new in 2013. Within days the brakes sounded like metal on metal. Embarrassing. They got louder so we took it back in the dealership. Fixed our brakes about 4 times. We then started paying for new brakes every few months. I'm afraid of this car. The company said it was a characteristic of the car so they won't do anything else. The brakes went to the floor with me and I almost backed into a pole! The brakes also hold and cause the transmission to slip or hold. The company refuses to do anything else. Is there a litigation against these people for these cars? Brake light on again and the squealing has begun again.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I purchased my Avenger in 2014 brand new with 1,100 miles on it. So far I've had to replace 3 of the 4 tires due to the brakes kept going out. They've been replaced now three times. I've had to replace the fuel pump twice. And today I was on my way home from work and something popped and I had a hard time coming to a stop. Thank God my children were not in the car with me and I thankfully didn't hit anybody or anything. So when I finally made it home I checked and my brake fluid is draining down the tire. I'm wondering if that would be the master cylinder?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I purchased a brand new 2014 Dodge Avenger in June of 2014 and within one month I had to take it back in as the brakes were not stopping. I would have to step on them repeatedly to get the car to slow down. They replaced the brakes and yet the problem continued. I took the car back and again they looked at it and had to replace the master cylinder. The car has continued to have difficulties stopping appropriately. There is no traction or umph in the slightest weather. The tires just spin and the car goes nowhere. It is by far the worst and scariest feeling.

Today I drove 24 miles round trip with a 2 1/2 hr break and when I got home the oil dipstick had popped and spewed oil all over. I have no clue what would cause this to happen but this is my last straw. The sad part is I will be stuck with this car and its problems as the dealerships are protected and we the consumers have no leg to stand on. DO NOT BUY AN AVENGER EVER!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

I purchase a brand new 2014 Dodge Avenger. After 6 month the check engine light came on. The day I took it to the dealer the light went off. I still wanted them to check the car for but the service person said that it can be because of a loose gas cap two after it came back on. I tried to make an appointment for them to check it but they kept on telling me the have so many recalls they don't have any open appointment. In March of 2015 I attempt to come to a stop and the car accelerated at the stop sign and there was the officer to pull me over and gave me a ticket. Thought nothing of it. Cover the cost.

April 2015 the car accelerated again, cause an accident. Call Dodge and Chrysler filed a complaint with them regarding check engine light and acceleration. They sent an inspector out who canceled a schedule appointment with a dealer only for him to check it in the parking lot of my job and shortly after that I received a letter saying that they found no issues with the car but it continues to accelerate and the engine light still on no matter how much I tighten the gas cap.

Now the car won't crank and heavy smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Miss three days of work and they're giving me the run and telling me it out of warranty when it clear document that I file a complaint and dealer charging me $500 to fix no loaner, no rental, out of work three days and my case is with Chrysler special investigation team and they will call me back in three days. The service person advise, "Oh the problem, not that bad. You can come and pick up the vehicle and pay $150.00 until Chrysler calls you back." Really!! I really like the make and model but I honestly feel unsafe and I don't know what else to do. Want them to accept responsibility and acknowledge the complaints that all these consumer like myself is complaining about, regarding same model has to be something wrong and accepts accountability and fix it calls for a recall. This is my only source of transportation.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I bought brand new 2013 Dodge Avenger. Since day one I having been having unresolved issues with transmission. I've been having problems like rough shifting extreme shuddering while coasting bucking and clunking. I been to the dealership many times and they will not even acknowledge that there is a problem. So I decided to call Chrysler customer care, yeah I might as well have been talking to wall because they didn't make any effort to do anything, it was just a complete waste of my time. The transmission is called the 62te and there many complaints about unsolved transmission problems like I'm having. Also my a/c is broken on two year old car with 64k on it. Please save yourself time and money, do not buy a Chrysler product.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I have a 2014 Avenger SXT blacktop, winter package. This car has all the bells and whistles. The car has been in and out of the shop for 3months now. This is the fourth time for the same issue. I have been working with the Dodge Customer Care dept. since day one. I have had 3 representatives so far and they do absolutely nothing. The car will not shift out of third gear, it jumps into limp mode which will only go 50 mph and revs to 5,500. The dodge customer care and the dealer make me drive it like that 70 miles to the dealer I bought it from as they are the only dealer that will provide me with a loaner. This car is not safe and I live in snow country, which will be falling soon. I have started arbitration with the Attorney General for NY State. I will keep you posted.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Horrible car. I thought it in mid-2007 as a model year 2008 due to styling which I liked. Constantly in the shop. Leaking trunk, replaced stereo and one of the speakers. The final blow was the engine dying whenever it was damp out which meant manhandling it over without power steering to a shoulder even in heavy traffic when it died which was often. Chrysler dealers (several) said it was a known issue but no fix yet available. I drove it to a Ford dealer the next day and traded it in after two years for a Fusion. Worst car I ever owned, will never buy Chrysler product again. WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

My Dodge 1st broke down June 9 2015 while driving. It just stalled and we pulled over. Car had 40000 miles under warranty, towed it to Dealer. They fixed it. (transmission) Then July 21 same thing in traffic. Towed it to the nearest dealership again! They overhauled transmission. 5 days later this time on freeway the same thing occurred Luckily by the off ramp and coasted it to nearest place. Towed it again to nearest dealership. They said they fixed it July 29. I am so afraid to drive this vehicle now. I will no longer drive it! They can have it back, my family's safety comes first. Purchased another Vehicle... 2015 Chrysler 200. Now I hear bad reviews on that! I have had no problems with it yet. Cross my fingers! Funny how they recalled only the Dodge Darts for slipping transmission.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I purchased a new 2014 Dodge Avenger August 2014. The brakes has been squeaking from the time I got the vehicle. I have taken the car to service dept a total of 3 times and they're saying they can't find the problem. I've been dealing with this annoying squeak for too long. Now at 20000 miles the engine light has came on. I purchased a new car to avoid these kind of issues.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2015

I got my Avenger 39,000 miles and it's scary to drive. Feels like the whole front suspension is going to bail on me. I heard they're going to scrap the Avengers anyway.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I purchased a 2014 Dodge Avenger the last part of 2013. Less than a year I had to put a set of tires off the vehicle. The side of the tires was peeling. A oil leaking was next and then alternator and battery and now brakes. Cost without brakes almost $2,000. Bought car new. Problems might have come from the factory but it is costing me too much money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

For those of you that have an Avenger. I did a complain directly to Dodge corporate in MI. Contact customerassistant@chrysler.com. They do listen and we correctly have a case pending. My 2014 Avenger had 13 miles when I got it. 1 1/2 months later it started it wouldn't turn over to start. It's a new car. Been dealing with this since. The breaks squeak too. Since looking car horrible issues.

UPDATED ON 09/24/2015: AVENGER OWNERS NEED TO UNITE!!!! IF YOU WANT YOUR CAR FIXED, REPLACE, REIMBURSE!!! 2014 Avenger Black Top Edition continues to not start. Let me stranded a few times. It's been at the dealership now 5 times since last post. They have kept my car for 3x's 11 days, 4 days, 5 days at service. I was told that they would drive it around bla bla bla cry me a river!! Not even one thing done on the car. Corporate doesn't help that all. They are trained to just read you the manual of procedures that they can provide you with. Don't give in. My attorney and I are working on the next step. Will keep you posted. Keep pressing on them until you get what you want.

Original review: July 25, 2015

I owned a 2008 Avenger and can attest that it wasn't that great; however in 2010 after a slew of problems I traded in for the 2011 Avenger Lux and never looked back. The only problems I've had with it were that the battery died after 4-5 years (typical) and the brakes squeaked a lot (switched to EBC pads and slotted rotors, seems to be fine now), oil change every 5k miles with full synthetic, have never leaked so much as 1 drop of any fluid and I've had the car for 5 years now this month, all it needs now is new headlights and new struts… Typical maintenance, zero issues, solid thumbs up the new Avenger is awesome. It's just a shame they discontinued it in 2015.

Original review: July 21, 2015

My husband bought this car brand new. 2 weeks later when you back up the brakes squeal so loud my neighbors come outside. Took it to Allen Samuels Dodge. They said nothing they can do - to call the manufactors. I did. They said it was no recall on the problem. It is the material they used for the brakes and nothing they can do about it. Now the ABS light is on. Took it to a few places. They are saying the tire sensors need to be changed, brakes need to be replaced and rotors. I would never buy another Avenger ever. I really want to go park it in the lot and walk away. My son bought the exact same car and he is having the same problems, but the manufactors say no recalls.

Dodge Avenger Company Information