Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.43/5

Dodge Avenger

The Dodge Avenger is a mid-size sedan that was discontinued in 2014. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

97 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We purchased a 2014 Dodge Avenger in 2015 and it seemed like a great car. My father is a retired Chrysler employee and always said that they were great. Well, we don't even have 55k miles on it and we have a major oil leak as they did on the more expensive cars. But the dealer said it wasn't covered by the warranty, and tried to sell us an extended warranty. Since we paid cash for the car and not making payments we were told it was our issue. It was a recall issue for the other more expensive Dodges but not ours. It is a $1500 fix.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

It started October 29 2018. Had appointment for oil change, was going to appointment when car making loud noise rattling and whining, transmission started to slip and then car would not go anywhere. Called dealer. Told them I had appointment for oil change and stuck on side of road. Will call tow and have sent to them. Dealer called me saying they checked it out and it was transmission tilted clogged. Would fix and do oil change. Picked it up October 31, 2018. Paid $282.00. Was happy. On December 14 2018 coming home from store transmission making same noise got louder and transmission stopped working again. Called dealer. Told them car stopped working again. Do they have tow? They said no, got another tow. Cost $110.00. Told them it’s coming their way again for same problem. They did not get to my car till Wednesday December 19 2018. They told me I need a transmission.

It only has 76,000 miles on it in good condition. They said it would cost $ 5700.00. Told them is it on recall? They said no. Told them the car probably is not worth that. We worked a deal where they fixed it for $3998.00. I picked it from dealer Saturday December 22 2018. Took it home and went to car wash to find when we came home it’s been leaking transmission oil on driveway and road. Called dealer and took it back. They call me December 24 2018 and said it’s ready. It was a drain tube left open. I just read where a transmission is supposed to last from 130,000 to 180,000 miles, I think manufacturer should pay for this transmission.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

On November 15th, 2018, on the way to my daughter's basketball game from work, my 2013 Dodge Avenger, which I loved, starting to stutter and stall. The oil light, the check engine light, then some other weird light above the engine light came on. I pulled over on the side of the Interstate, and smoke started pouring from my hood. I jumped out of the car, and it blew up 3 minutes later, a loud pop from the engine, and my pretty Billet Silver Dodge was charred black! I had just had the oil changed and new tires 2 months prior, and was nearing another oil change when this happened. My insurance hasn't processed anything yet, and I am left with a $970 beater I picked up for cash I had to borrow!

I found several recalls on the Dodge Avenger, some of which were for the fuel system, so I called in my VIN to a dealership. They say my car was NOT part of this recall... That, I think, is BS. How does a 5 year old car blow up?? I am convinced I had an issue with a fuel line in the front, as when I jumped out, a passerby stopped and yelled "There's flames" and I looked and flames were literally DRIPPING from under the front of the car right before it blew up. I have pictures of my car, the fire dept. putting out the fire on I80 during rush hour. It's a sad sight!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

A very forgotten part is the tipm. Or the fuse box entirety. Basically they compare it to your car being possessed. Both problems will make you want to set your car on fire. The tipm is very expensive just because they make them. There's not a lot out there and everyone who wants one it's on backorder seriously. To be worse it costs $1200 to fix. Not covered by warranty, I tried. I thought bumper to bumper meant all but I guess not.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I own a 2013 Dodge Avenger. Read a lot of crazy things about this car but there all over and I know 2 people with same car. I have the v6 and it is very nice. Just flushed fluids. Only electrical problems like rear defrost or tpms sensors I've seen. I don't think it was wired any good but the motor and transmission are pretty reliable. I say if you're thinkin about it they've never been more affordable. If you get an extended warranty I think you will be ok.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Avenger?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased a used 2014 Dodge Avenger in 2015. Little to no problems until 2018. Small things like a clicking sound when I turn the air/heat on and off. Short in the turn signal switch which causes the overhead light to come on and off by itself. Can't adjust the dash lights because of the switch. Passenger side window quit working.

By far the biggest problem...driving down the road almost home after driving 1 hour away and back. No noticeable problems until loss of throttle control. ETC light and traction light both come on. Pushing on pedal gets no engine response. 2 mechanics look at car and determine that the throttle body needs replaced. It was checked and was showing as bad (I don't know how they checked it). Picked up the car. Less than a mile away from shop, same lights on, inability to accelerate, plus the engine light is now on. So I take it back. It was showing a possible air leak when the codes were run. It was left to be checked again.

Final determination was to check the map sensor. It was reading as bad. So it was replaced. Go to pick car up a second time. 2 miles from shop...same problem. Mechanic is convinced that the number one problem is a bad PCM which is in turn reporting bad sensors (which aren't bad) and possibly still a bad throttle body. Current mileage 131000.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

There was always something wrong with my car, even though I purchased it brand new. The dealership could never find the problem either. An axle broke on the car which caused me a lot of damage and headache. I mean it was always something! WORST CAR I EVER HAD!. I'm scared to purchase another vehicle from Dodge.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Dodge Avenger - It is a 2011 and the car is cute. Mine is black with a spoiler and I get lots of compliments on its appearance and interior. It had some significant recalls when I first bought it (first the trunk would not seal and rain would pour in; then the engine head cracked and had to be replaced). Since then, it has run very well, and I keep driving it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Bought a 2011 Dodge Avenger from Percy Auto Sales and for the past 2 years and several hundreds of dollars I still have a heater that blows cold air. I have flushed the radiator and heat core 3x. Replaced temp sensors controls. Replaced etc. Each flush produced a lot of sand. I feel Dodge should come good for this or make it a recall. I have seen 100s of complaints regarding the same issue!!! It's a joke! I think I am changing companies on my next car purchase.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

No one has ever got back with me for any complaint for this Dodge Avenger 2008 model. 2.4 Liter ES. The transmission went out at just over 100K. I went ahead and got a new one because after all was said and done, getting a different car was not going to work out for me and if I parked this one, who would want it in this shape? Now at 125,000 Miles, I have the AC heater CLICKING disease, just found a cure for it but still what the heck man, Auto Zone has been great about the alternators, I just got another one 5K ago, lifetime warranty. There is a FLAW in the brilliant idea <-- sarcasm, of having a clutch inside the pulley to supposedly save fuel, the new alternator RIGHT now is already making noise at 5K. On the plus side, determined to never let this car beat me, I can change out an Avenger alternator in just under 15 minutes. That is saying a lot since before I got this car I was only ever so often, working on lawn mowers, just if I had to.

I was getting a tire repaired at Les Schwab a while back, the tire repairers work partner said he noticed something about the rear alignment, they hooked it up to some machine for free me and determined THIS CAR has a tracking problem that is NOT adjustable and is the way it is FROM THE FACTORY. Hence my constant battle with uneven tire wear and drifting more than I thought was normal. All the speakers on the left side are out... The clicking sound is loud and you would have to be completely deaf to not notice it. Happens every single time you adjust the air, hot or cold does not matter. This year however (2017) Doorman and a few other companies are carrying this part number to fix it with, 604-029, I have not got around to it yet. THE PAINT is AWFUL, this car looks like it's been beat to hell, it's chipping away all the time, the plastic body parts are all loose up front.

Engine lights on again at 115K. Turned out to be P2004 code, intake manifold failure, you can buy the manifold runner control valve BUT, it will go again super fast if you reuse your old manifold. This is another flaw, a serious one since this motor is a WORLD motor I am told and it slapped into TONS of cars/what you have to do to fix it proper is get an entire new manifold. I searched for a month to find a deal for right at 260.00. The dealership, well let's just say they are insane, nearly a 1000 repair they said. This FLAW is due to the placement of the plastic valve set to collect huge amounts of residue from the exhaust, an oily thick garbage filled gunk builds up on the levered doors and the valve goes up and sticks.

This reduces fuel mileage, it reduces it from day 1 brand new to the final point of lights on the dash and codes that will not allow you to pass inspection. The guy at the inspection booth literally told me not to even try again or I would be fined because I tried 3 times. I will not ever buy a Dodge again unless it has ZERO computers, I'm talking OLD SCHOOL. I will be lucky to get 2k out of this. I have scars from this car, this car has cost me thousands of dollars that it should never have, I don't even feel like I have a Dodge, I feel like I have a Yugo.

Dodge Avenger Company Information