Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
4.06/5

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

The Toyota Prius is a full hybrid electric car that debuted in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

890 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 29, 2018

We are very pleased with our 2012 Prius. The only flaw we would add is that it could use more padding in the seats for comfort. It is excellent on gas and has enough room in the cargo space for all of our groceries.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota Prius (2007): Most would think this an "old car", not worth the bother. But, my car was so far advanced in the "bells and whistles" especially in the technology that even most new cars as of 2018 still haven't caught up! My Prius doesn't have some really great things like parking and lane assist or automatic braking to avoid collision but it has a rear camera and GPS as well.

Original review: April 28, 2018

When I bought my Toyota Prius C one year ago I did not know what a hybrid car was and had held off getting an "electric" car because where I live the issue of charging was worrisome. I am the first among my friends to own a hybrid car. We talk about the Prius all the time. I bought mine through AAA Car Buying Program. The agent said the battery made by Toyota, it's guarantee and performance is the best available. It is an amazing machine. True savings in the cost of gasoline. My only annoyance is the number of buttons and devices that all new cars seem to believe consumers want. I have a "dumb" phone and I wish they made "dumb" [basic] cars instead of bringing out "all new" models every year which is unnecessary and wasteful of resources. Thumbs way up to Toyota and its Prius line.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I first had a 2005 Prius - I loved that car!!! I gave it to my daughter in 2012 and bought a 2012 Prius C. This is my second Prius and I love this car, too! I believe it will always have a Prius! They are nice cars and environmentally friendly. I like the bells and whistles the C came with and really enjoy owning it!

Original review: April 27, 2018

Toyota Prius Touring - a great car, over 50 mpg and adaptive cruise control. Stop and go traffic, no problem. Safely this is my 3rd Prius, first one a lady came across 3 lanes and gave us a head one. Airbags deployed, dogs bounced around, my wife and were fine. Insurance bought the next one for me. I traded it in at 86,000 miles. I wish someone had told me it was just broke in and 300,000 miles is not uncommon for the Prius.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?

Original review: April 26, 2018

I bought my first Prius 6 years ago. I drove it more than 120K miles. Never had to replace the battery; Never replaced the brakes. It had a 10 gallon tank and could travel 375 miles on a tank of gas. I lived the in mountains and it just hugged the road on the sometimes challenging curves. In 2014 I traded it in for another new Prius. Love all the new safety features. The hatchback makes it so easy for traveling with my 100 lb dog or loading groceries or plants from the nursery. Last Christmas we packed it with all of our family's gifts, our luggage and my husband's golf clubs with room to spare to travel 4 hours up north. The seats are so very comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't think of driving anything else. In my opinion the Prius is a "10" not a "5".

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have heard that Toyota is discontinuing the Prius V. They are pushing the Rav4 hybrid. They are two different cars. The Rav is a SUV and the V is a "station wagon car". I get great mileage on my V, better than the Rav. I am looking at the new Camry hybrid which gets great mileage.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I love my Prius. I bought it in 2005 and it was a 2001. I still have it, in a society where people buy new cars constantly I feel no desire to abandon the reliable, adorable, affordable, Toyota that was the first car I bought using my own money entirely. I love this car and as long as it has life in its body I will drive it.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Prius is a great car and this is our second one. I have only two things that I believe need changed. The noise inside the car when going down the highway although I did hear that has been improved upon. The other is the height of the car. Every bump, driveway or small debris on the highway hits the bottom or the bumper of the car. It really needs to be about 3 inches higher off the road.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Performance, economy, creature comforts. That's my Toyota Prius. Offer me another car and I'll refuse it! Toyota leads the way in hybrid technology, as far as I'm concerned. No regrets!

Original review: April 6, 2018

In 2008 I opted to buy a brand new Prius 1.5 instead of a Mercedes and or BMW which most colleagues own. I boasted about my Prius for all these years until the past 3 months the VSC and Alert lights randomly displays. In November 2017 upon checking at a local fuel station we discovered a pint of oil short. Almost every month since there is a pint short that the fuel attendant reports on which had to be topped up using proper Toyota Oil. In my family and amongst friends we owned a few Toyotas ranging from Corollas and Tazz with mileage running to about 400 000 km without an engine problem.

All services on my Prius are carried out by the Toyota dealership in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa and the car is still in perfect nick condition. The last service was done at 140 000 km in August 2017. Since August 2017 - This car has not done about 4 trips of 200 km as a long trip otherwise is used daily for work and home average 30 km a day. Over the past 2 months I have taken it to the dealership twice – the first time they informed me that they cleaned out the sludge sump and reset the management system. Last week the VSC and Alert lights came on and I complained that it still takes oil – They reported that their management diagnoses reveals that 2 cells on the hybrid battery are low.

I argued that it has nothing to do with oil consumption. We topped up the oil and the VSC and Alert lights are gone off. I read on the websites recondition hybrid batteries are also available as Toyota Agents require $2000 to supply and fit a brand new one – do you have any information on this. I am confused really that at 143 000 km it is consuming oil and regarding the hybrid battery – it seems a guessing game.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My husband just bought a 2018 Prius 2 for me. I knew he was doing this but I should have checked it out before he signed on the dotted line. I had a 2011 Prius, which I loved. I know the Prius 2 is the "budget" model so a bunch of the bells and whistles aren't even an option. But, my biggest concern is with the huge amount of highly reflective surface on the dashboard. Driving the new car to work for the first time this morning and I was constantly distracted by the sunlight gleaming off the shiny black surface of the dashboard (not the display). To me, the style of seat with the small interior section and sloped edges is also very uncomfortable. I will have to add some sort of filler in the middle so that I don't get leg cramps. There are a few other complaints but most people (even me) would think it's a bit petty. Overall, the vehicle drives well. I would have opted for a different set of options over some of the extra beeps and safety improvements in this model.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Bought this car new in 2008 and my wife and I love it. We use it as our runaround car and it gets great miles per gallon. No problems in 85000 miles but we do keep it serviced. My only complaint is the seats. They are not well padded and I wouldn't want to take a long trip in it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Our 2013 Prius V with 128k miles has been maintained meticulously and has provided a drama free commuting experience since new. However it made a strange vibration and noise on startup the other day and then the check engine light came on so it was brought in to the local dealership. The shop called me a few hours later with the bad news... blown head gasket which would cost $4500+ to fix. As we didn’t want to buy a new car at this point we had the work done. I did some research and found this to be a relatively common problem with the Prius at about 130k miles and Toyota doesn’t want to admit it. Oh well. Our next car will likely not be a Toyota.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Electrical malfunction in 2016 Prius. USB charger stops working after 2-3 minutes every day that the phone is plugged in. Car has to be turned off and then back on for it to start working again. Display system blacks out and restarts usually when the USB cord is plugged in. This has occurred 3 times in the last 4 months.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Filling up my gas tank every six weeks is my kind of bling! I thought after owning a Mercedes, I would feel as though I was driving a tuna fish can, but with the exception of the center console that reminds me of a bidet, I love Toyota Prius. It works great for me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I just sold a 2008 Prius with 113,000 miles that I bought 4 years ago with 75,000 miles. Toyota did a couple recalls on it for no charge when I first got it. I replaced a belt on it and an MFD which went down. Autobeyours repaired the mfd for about $275 and it was easy to do myself using his youtube video. I changed the oil and CVT fluid myself so this was a very inexpensive car to keep. I averaged about 44 mpg over the years. I was planning on keeping it but a 2012 Prius five with all the options became available at a great price and I was able to sell the 2008 for a very good price. Get your Prius checked out at a dealer as they can save you from buying someone else's lemon. Really the best car I've ever had in regards to reliability and gas mileage. The high voltage batteries last from 12-15 years. My wife has a 2014 Three with nav that is also trouble free.

My brother drives a 2007 with no issues. I don't know anyone who has had trouble with their Prius. EV Battery Center in Las Vegas can install a new battery for $2350. It has a one year warranty but don't be fooled, as it will last another 12-15 years if you keep the car that long. Don't fall for a rebuilt battery as they fail more often than not. No Toyota mechanics I know (several) recommend going this route. Just Google this if you don't believe me. Very comfortable car that just works well for cheap. Priusdiy.com is a great site to learn to do your own maintenance and I used it to learn how to change the spark plugs and other maintenance. Avoid a rebuilts Prius as they tend to have very expensive issues that cost megabucks to diagnose and repair. If you don't take a Prius to a dealer for an inspection, at least take it to a reputable auto body shop who can tell you if the car has been in a wreck.

These cars are made to last and will save you money, but you do have to do your due diligence to get a good one that has been taken care of. Most horror stories on this site are due to people who did not do their homework and bought another person's problem. My dealer charges about $150 for an inspection and it will be the best money you will ever spend as it will give you peace of mind and/or save you from buying someone else's can of worms. I highly recommend this car.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I purchased 2011 Toyota Prius in 2015 from so called very reputed dealer Temecula Valley Toyota. It works pretty well until yesterday July 27, 2017. Out of nowhere, all the warning lights pop up. I parked on side and tried to stop and start again. It started up but with all the warning lights and "system hybrid failure" message on dashboard screen. I flatbed-towed to dealership. After few hours, service department found out that its computer and inverter failed, replacement cost $3500+. Since car has 120,000 miles it's not under warranty. Can't put that kind of out of my pocket. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm thinking about filing small claims. This post is for people who want to buy Prius to save on gas, but keep in mind you may end up spending more on repairs.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I bought a used 2006 Toyota Prius October 2016 with about 66000 miles, my daughter drove it back and forth to school daily and now has 73000 miles and all of a sudden the dashboard started displaying safety error codes (ABS, VSC, Brake, tire warning blinking constantly). Took the car to Toyota dealer for service and paid $128.99 for electronic diagnostic checks to determine cause of failed sensors, they informed me that ABS actuator had failed and all braking safety features have been disabled and cost of repair would be $3200.

I was really upset when the service guys could not explain why it happened and they do not see this ever happens at such low mileage, then more upset about the cost of repair when I heard this figure especially when I was told this happened at no fault of our own and they were surprised to see the ABS actuator and all braking safety features failing at such low mileage (73000 miles). Then I spoke with their service manager and he was sympathetic and suggested that I call Toyota Customer Service and see if they can warranty the repair.

I called 800 GO Toyota and spoke with customer service rep Shawn and he apologized for this happening and routed me to another rep who he said can get a resolution for my complaint, he then told me that extended support program for Prius ABS Actuator (10 years/ 150,000 mile) had expired on 09/2016 and nothing he or Toyota could do to help me and no one else would be able to further assist me, and it is up to me as to what to do with the vehicle knowing that it is very unsafe to drive with safety feature disabled. I told him the car has 1/2 of the miles the extended warranty covers and this is a legit safety concern that Toyota should consider but he then replied, "I can only speculate that driver before you might have had bad braking habits and affected the safety features to fail."

I then told him if that is the case you will see most of Toyota cars on the road failing and this would be irrelevant speculation on your part. I am very disappointed in owning an unsafe to drive vehicle at such low mileage especially with Toyota reputation of safety. All I want as a first time Toyota car owner is to get this car safely back on road without jeopardizing my daughter's life or safety while driving it. Toyota Case # **.

Original review: March 21, 2017

GREAT Fuel Economy and smooth Ride. Not much trouble with gliding over pot holes. Very happy with the performance over my last vehicle and I am not worried about many problems in the future. The value is what you can expect for a hybrid car. I am very happy with my purchase. It is a car I will be driving for a number of years.

Original review: March 21, 2017

It survived a few scratches and bumps. It survived for years too through all the seasons and storms then you can pass it down for generations. It has always had good brakes from when I first got it. Good on a lot of terrains and very good for hauling. Pretty made outside and nice height, too. Nice convertible and leather inside, comfortable seats and very roomy front space, as well. I would definitely try to keep this brand of car and brand in the family like cousins all that the whole family.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I really like this car because it has the fuel efficiency like no other car that I have ever driven. It is a very nice car that has smooth 2 wheel drive capabilities. The durability is also a nice added factor. The performance of this car is very nice. I enjoy driving this car around to pick up my kids from time to time. However, I would recommend turning the car off to save energy. Also, the appearance of this car is not too great. The value of this car is somewhat unappreciated. However, I would certainly recommend that one buys this car because it is a good value.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I have gotten in a few minor accidents involving other cars scraping my car or slight rear-ending, but the car still functions fine and has held up well. I am thoroughly satisfied with its durability. The car's performance is efficient, convenient, and consistent. I am a mother of one who has to drive my child to school and then myself to work after, and this car fully fulfills these necessities. Both the interior and exterior appearance of the car are sleek and simple. The inside of the car has a polished leather that is pleasing to the eyes, and the outside of the car has a refined look, no matter what color is chosen (I have white). I bought this car for an extremely affordable price. It functions wonderfully in meeting all of my needs and it also looks great, and so I think the car is worth its value.

Original review: March 18, 2017

The Prius gets excellent gas mileage and is very low maintenance. I haven't had any issues with the car except for routine maintenance/upkeep. I have been very pleased at how economical the car is based on the gas mileage the car gets. It takes a bit getting used to driving a hybrid car. Once you get the hang of "coasting" it increases the MPG and maximizes the car's full potential. It looks a bit too much like an outer space vehicle, but the car's performance makes up for it. The value is excellent for the car's full performance. The car is also reasonable in its pricing. The biggest value is that it will save so much money on fuel during the years you own it.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I enjoy and love the Toyota Prius. It is unique and part of my family. So much durability, I feel my car can be in a good appearance for a thousands years. It also has good performance. Have the same potential of the engineers' cars and is good with the ecosystem. Very good appearance too. The Toyota Prius have a excellent style and design. Toyota always have a good quality in their designs with make by the better designers. Also, has good value for the money because when I bought my Toyota Prius 2014 the bill of the gas station is more lower now. I can buy more beverages now.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I am really impressed with this car. Extremely durable, easily drive-able and stayed amazing for as long as I can remember. The vehicle drives extremely well and is very smooth. I have never had any problems with the car since I got it, and I am so satisfied with it that I would definitely recommend it to someone for its performance. Also, the appearance outside is amazing, it looks so good and shiny, and stays that way. And the inside is very comfortable and even looks great. The value for the price is way worth it and I am very satisfied with the vehicle and how it performs and my overall experience with it, so for the price, it is well worth it.

Original review: March 15, 2017

The value of a Toyota Prius is very good. It ranges from 24,000 to 30,000 dollars. Its resell value is also very good. This car definitely fits my budget for this type and size of car. It is also a hybrid car which is a plus for me. It has great fuel economy and it performs well with great mileage. It is reliable and drives great. It has great braking with a sleek look, and the brakes aren't so grabby as before. Its acceleration is great and it has a comfortable ride over bumpy areas. Also, the car's interior is roomy and comfortable. The exterior of the car is sleeker than before and sportier looking in my opinion. It has more chrome and a high-tech appearance. The rear seats have enough space for most adults.

Original review: March 15, 2017

The car lasts long and is durable. It's great for many many years and won't cause any problems. Overall it's a great car to have and worth the money. I would recommend this the car to everyone and my family.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I found the car to be very durable. I rarely had car problems and I didn't need to get it repaired often, and when I did it was minimal and low cost repairs. I also found the vehicle handled really well. I enjoyed how eco-efficient the car was. The miles to gas ratio was better than any car I have driven, and the ride was always smooth. Also, the interior was very high quality for a low-cost car, and I liked the material and the color of the interior. The exterior was to my liking as well. I like the shape and color of the car. I found that this car was a very high quality for the price I paid for it. The gas efficiency was a major plus. The car was well crafted and the materials didn't look cheap for a car that was reasonable price.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I got it because it looked so great and didn't bother to check anything else. I paid a lot of money and it fell apart immediately. It was my own fault for not checking it better. I did numerous repairs and maintenance, but it just wasn't ever enough. Struts were terrible as well as the brakes went out so many times. I just couldn't deal with this vehicle anymore. I couldn't bring myself to keep it with its numerous mechanical issues. It just wasn't safe enough to drive everyday and I was afraid it was going to fall apart. I sold it immediately. It was nice in appearance, just wish it was better with the mechanical aspect.

Toyota Prius Company Information