2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Toyota Prius

Maintenance costs may outstrip fuel savings

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

The Toyota Prius is a full hybrid electric car that debuted in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Prius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Prius?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Super economy and excellent handling, very good safety features, but somewhat cramped interior, meager storage spaces, and minimal power. Great for zipping around town, but leaves a lot to be desired on longer trips.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Great car. 2018 and have owned for a year now. The safety features are great and the rear camera is very helpful. The cars features are wonderful as well and can connect to Bluetooth, play mp3s from a usb, and charge wirelessly.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Bought car in 2009 and it is a 2010 Toyota Prius. I have 160,000 miles on the car and all in all it has been a good car. No major problems with the car just maintenance. I would recommend this car for the great gas mileage. I average around 43 miles per gallon and sometimes a little more or less.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have never before had such a maintenance free vehicle, and my Prius is a 2007. Gas mileage is great, although because I live at the top of a hill and in a cold climate, not as good as manufacturers estimates. I hope that newer models did something about the automatic turn off when skidding. This feature makes it difficult for me to get up the hill when it snows. And the back latch to the hatchback broke, and I see this as an issue on other old Prius on the road. But besides those two issues, this car has given me many miles of maintenance-free travel.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for three years and since owning my first Toyota. I decided to change vehicles after my children go older and I wanted to get a smaller car. I decided on a Prius. I have gotten everything I have ever needed done only through Toyota with this car. I was a very loyal customer even when they sold me defective tires and then after a few months I got a nail in my tire and was told that there was no warranty even though I had the paperwork. Then I was offered a discount to buy four more tires??? I am a teacher and I don't have money like that. Anyhow after I showed my paperwork and talked with the Jenna ** the services specialist. I was told that I could get new tires and that there would be a road hazard warranty on them and she would put it in the notes.

Well that was last year. She is no longer there and today 11/18/2019 I had another issue with one of my tires and was told to bring it up there because it had to be inspected so that they could write up what was wrong with it before they replaced it. I dropped it off and a few hours later got a call from Stacey ** and was told that there was not a warranty on the tires because when they replaced the defective tires in 2018 that was at their expense. Now at this time I am telling her what I have in writing and she brushes it off by asking me how much did I paid for the tires as if she couldn't see that on her computer screen, she then tells me the cost of my tires like it wasn't much money at all. It may not have been much to her but on a teachers salary it was a lot to me because I got other work done as well.

Anyhow I go get my car and ask to speak to the service manager. The services manager so bluntly pointed out, I did not pay for the tires so they were not covered under warranty and they would not replace my tire. They did quote me a price on one and I declined. They also quoted me a price on a warranty for the one tire. Now out of the three years I have been a Toyota owner no one at this place has ever told me anything about purchasing a warranty. If they had I probably would not be writing this review because that is how loyal I was to Toyota. How is it that I was sold defective and discontinued tires that I paid for that did not have a warranty and was not offered one and they knew it, and now because they had to replace the tires due to their fault I cannot get a replacement tire especially since I paid for the first set in the beginning and was told that there was in fact a road hazard warranty?

I was a loyal customer to a fault and to be done this way is very disheartening. I am a teacher and I have a very close knit educational family at the school I work. We all listen to each other and have each others back as consumers because we are all on a limited income. I most definitely will not recommend any of them to this place to purchase anything. I was going to upgrade my Prius in January when I got my bonus well not anymore. I am going back to Nissan. I don't even know why I thought it was a good idea to leave anyway.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

The fact that Toyota can’t offer CarPlay upgrades to older (in my case a 2018) Prius models is very disappointing. I will probably trade my car in for a different make and model because Toyota's phone/car interface is really poor quality.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I love how our 2019 Prius handles, it has a snappy peddle and gets excellent gas mileage in the upper 50s to low 60 mpg, better than our previous Prius. The seats are very comfortable and has great leg room in the back. My mom who has lots of back issues and has trouble traveling.. it is the only one of 3 vehicles that we have that she travels well in the back and is comfortable. The only thing I miss in our 2019 is that it doesn’t have the double glove box and doesn’t have the under the console storage space that our 2012 has... Other than that I love it.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Absolutely love my car & have had literally no issues with it after putting ~70k miles on it myself. I'm at ~112k right now and she runs strong! When I have this one paid off I'll be looking to get a Prius Prime.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Prius in October, it has less than 5,000 miles. The brakes grab, the front fender has chipped and cracked despite no collision. The cover on the driver's side side view mirror apparently just fell off. There is no indication of anyone hitting me, and the mirror itself is not damaged.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My 2006 Prius stopped running and I had it towed into the dealership. They diagnosed a defective computer board and replace it. That didn’t solve the issue and I again had the car towed into the dealership. This time they diagnosed a different computer board. That didn’t solve the issue and I again had the car towed into the dealership.

Now they advise me that there are multiple computer boards that are showing as bad, in addition to the battery. The problem is that if any of these problems had shown themselves last year, they all would have been covered under now expired Service Notices or warranty enhancements, but since those notices have expired, they are no longer covered. If Toyota admits that a part is defective and covers their repair, why is that defective part no longer covered after a certain date. Either a part is defective and Toyota assumes responsibility for its defect or it is not defective.

Toyota Prius Company Information