Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.26/5
Based on 402 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

424 Smart Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have in the past use another interlock company with no problems. At the beginning with Smart Start there were no issues in four months. All of a sudden it would accept no blows showing “blow longer” - well not allowing me to blow past a second. This it would do on my entire 40 minute mountainous drive until a violation occurred and I had four days to clear it. After paying it, and genuinely believing I would be reimbursed because it was as stated in their policy “not due to Anything I did” basically.

This started three months of constant every four days paying $75 to get the violation lock taken off, resulting in a $400 total extra bill before they finally gave me an ancient Ken said that doesn’t require as much long capacity to pass. No problems since (except For one, after I swallowed a handful of vitamins after lunch and drink half a pop and immediately blew another violation). (I rinsed my mouth and blew right after and it was fine. The violation remained though.) I was shuffled from one person and one department to another everyone saying just fill out the incident report until finally corporate office referred me back to the poor tech-support guy who was the only one that finally helped me with a unit that would work for me. His hands are tied, everyone’s hands are tied...

No matter what they state on their website regarding these occurrences no one is giving you any refunds back. This type of false claims and basically stealing from the already struggling to get back on their feet financially strapped person doing everything right should be brought to justice. Everyone says there’s nothing they can do and I won’t stop until something is done about this. Within a short amount of time this company could be completely out of business if we speak up in the right places, I am giving them a few more chances to make it right, as should the other people who have experienced the same, then take it to another level. If I had known this before signing with Smart Start I never would have other people need to know.

This is not a company to be trusted, you can do absolutely everything right and end up owing them so much as the violations continue for no reason, while they promise you to get back with the refund within 2 to 7 days. I wish the first time this had happened I had switched companies but now I am in too far. I will get my money back, I have a debt to pay for my actions leading up to this, compliance with everything, yet this company “robs from the poor”. It is the worst kind of thievery. Just to be clear when my three months of violations were occurring every four days; I would pay the money to get a violation cleared, and the first blow on the drive back home it would violate me again every single time. Nothing had changed, my headset if that was the problem, should have been changed out after a couple of these Incidences as I asked, not after three months and $400 worth later.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I did 1 year on with the smart start ignition interlock and went smoothly for the most part with very minimal issues. When it's time to get my license back is where I had issues. The smart start company never sent the compliance report to WA state. I've been out of work for a week now being unable to drive because of what seem like reoccurring clerical errors based on other reviews. It's a clear scam setup by the state to rob folks. If it wasn't everybody having the same issue then I can give the benefit of the doubt but this system needs to be reworked so the folks who actually comply don't get screwed.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have tried calling many times with no luck, even though I would hold for one hour and forty two mins, then tried the call back waited two days. Still nothing, THIS COMPANY STINKS, they know they have you as this is a court ordered device. Very poor respect and disgusting service, SHAME.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I've been waiting for a call since 3 days and they won't pick up when I call so I can't book appointment. It's very crappy experience. They use to pick up. Now they never will. They need more staff. I guess paying 100 a month plus 60 for this, is not enough. Very poor customer service. Beyond anything I've ever been through.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Drove 60 miles to get installed Monday. Friday the gizmo is dead. I can’t get to work. I call family for a ride. I am 45 min late to work and need to leave 4hours early to take truck in to be “calibrated.” Or... I can’t get to work all weekend. I don’t want to get fired. Meanwhile while I went to work a family member took the smart start detachable blowhole back to installer to switch it out. We thought that was it. NOPE. Family member (who drove the 87 mile goose chase to get me to work, get device pick me back up after short shift; and take me back home) was told I gotta bring the truck in for calibration; and PAY for a 30 mile tow if it would not start with blowhole #2. No violations. I really do not drink anymore. JUST CRAPPIE PRODUCT! We were told system is being updated.

Their webpage doesn’t work either! How can laws the written to require someone to have a device like this when they don’t even work. I absolutely hate the feature of having to blow while driving. You either risk the traffic to pull to the curb to try to get the test off or blow while you’re driving and possibly swerve out of lane. People have enough problems trying to get to work after having a DUI. This is a great way to create more homeless people. I gave up alcohol three years ago and started boxing. I have one of these now because THE COP SAID HE Would CHARGE ME WITH a OVI EVEN IF I PASSED THE BREATHALYZER TEST.

I was hit on a bike and needed hip surgery at the time of the stop for a non working license plate light. The cop asked “Do you take anything for pain?” I said only before bed. It’s expensive testing to prove how much of an opiate is in your system. So if they wanted to jam me up I figured the year suspension beats an OVI neither impaired me that night. Lorain County Ohio has no public transportation. I HAVE TO DRIVE to get to work. It’s 30 miles and 5 to 32 degrees c. I can’t imagine this thing is going to get better with wasting time money and gas just 4 days into it. And the biggest insult is like paying for this thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was required to have the IID device for a one year period. Searching several suppliers I chose Smart Start because they were pleasant to speak with and seemed the best choice per my budget. I had the IID in my vehicle for 6 months, made every calibration and payment when required, and then I was laid off. The 3 months following my layoff I had trouble making the monthly 83.00 calibration payment. I called Smart Start multiple times requesting payment arrangements or some sort of assistance and this is when they began to speak to me with a dismissive arrogance! They could care less if you can afford their monthly charge or not and won't have any mercy on you regardless of your situation.

I had two instances where when I went in to get the calibration and I was advised I missed a rolling test and that was not true. I was like a hawk watching this device because each incident is an additional $75.00 charge. So, your device has one or two "Unknown" instances per requirement period and they simply deny the appeals, that's up to an additional $150.00 per client they are making without argument per year! You can appeal it a hundred times but who's going to listen to us? In their eyes we are all alcoholics getting what we deserve but in my case it's still pending in court? Fairness is not at all in play here!!! Also, another scam, and I believe they are all scams, is the following:

I have a thought why this is so, or at least this is my theory... Smart Start is greedy and getting very wealthy from those good Americans that have made a mistake and have a court order to place the IID in their vehicle. If Smart Start simply denies their client's, those that chose them over all the others, any help at all, they get rich!

I will use a hypothetical number: If they have 5000 clients and half of those clients (2500) simply can't pay one month out of the required 12 months (one year) installation charge, this simple denial of help will make them on average an additional $207,500 per year! Figuring the average monthly calibration at $83.00 multiplied by 2500 = $207,500. Job security? Fraud? Each missed calibration, at least in my state after the 5th day, gets you another month added to your IID requirement. I now have two months added to mine. Imagine if 2500 clients each had two added months, they would double the above number.

My point in closing, they will all be very courteous and kind when you are choosing the supplier to use but whatever you do, if you have Smart Start at least, don't miss a payment and call in expecting help from them. The above is just a guess on my part but there is no reason they cannot work with those who are in hard times to therefore help keep them remain compliant with the states court orders. They say they are there for their customers, to help you through this requirement but they are full of it, bottom line is they care only about their bottom line at the end of the day. My point: Be cautious, don't miss a payment, know if your state allows a grace period after the appointment date and be prepared not to get help from these companies as I'm sure they are all pretty much the same!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Paid twice for a faulty reading. I drove straight to Smart Start twice right away since it's by my house. The technician tried to first blame it on me pumping gas. Then ask me if I drank a Monster Energy drink. While sitting in the car in front of Smart Start waiting to get my device checked. I blew and it violated me. I told him to come withers it. He finally replaced my device. Then told me it was new. When it was clearly used with scratches. Stay away from Smart Start. It would save you the money and scam they're doing to people.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Only works a quarter of the time. You can have full bars on app and get error codes and won’t start vehicle. Report problem to company takes two to three days each time you send a report to them then they tell you it looks like everything ok on their end but still won’t start vehicle by phone. Try to start vehicle three to four times a day. If you're lucky might get it to start from phone once. Better to stay with one star for what it cost for the Smart Start and don’t work right.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Update on 01/14/2019: I clearly overpaid them on the date that my device was taken out on December 8th and was told today that I have already received my refund. I advised Mr. Fernando ** that he was mistaken when stating that the $120 credit was all that I was due. I reminded him that he should review my account starting in October and to contact me back. He has emailed me since stating that I will receive a $65.00 credit... I won't be recommending this company to anyone that has to deal with the court systems with DUI charges.

Original: I had to have the device in the car for a year longer when it was installed. The installation was great but whenever it came to remove the device, I had already overpaid the account by $120.00 as there were 2 Violock fees that were paid and should have been returned. Then I was told by corporate that they did not have the requests for repayment since November and when taking out the device I had to pay the $60.00 removal fee and the $70.00 fee as the one credit that was given for the last Violock could not be credited. I've been waiting since December 8th for my credit back for the overpayment since December 20th and have had no response. The email was sent to Fernando ** who claims to be able to credit my account.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I would like to say first and foremost I take complete responsibility for my mistakes (2 DUIs) and actually appreciate the idea and lesson the automotive breathalyzer provides. It legitimately teaches people how to NOT drive drunk. I will also say I did have a few legitimate violations, one was the morning after drinking and one was from letting my car run after jump starting my car, and missing the prompt to test.

I also want to express genuine appreciation to the garage where the unit was installed and is calibrated. They are a caring mom and pop garage who NEVER treat their interlock (breathalyzer) clients any different than their other customers. They listened if I had a problem, and if they were able to provide a solution, always offered it.

On that note, the initial customer service with Smart Start was excellent, again, never treating me like a criminal or as if I had done anything wrong. That was basically where the courtesy ended. I had one time (as mentioned above) that I received a violation because my battery had died and I was allowing the car to run for a bit to charge it after the jump start. I went inside to go to the bathroom, and missed the prompt. Fine. Went next day to get recalibrated, and the garage owner told me to file an incident report and request a refund, since I didn't violate because of drinking.

I filled it out, emailed it, and although the email confirmation says response in 5-7 days, I had to call after 2 weeks, where I was met with ignorance, and the representative informed me my request had not need reviewed, and to email it again. I did so and received a response of no refund. Ok, so I accept that because I made the mistake of leaving the unit w the car on. HOWEVER, in the recent few weeks the unit has been acting up, (taking an extensive amount of time to analyze, asking for immediate retreats etc). Tonight I had gone to work, driven on break, drove home from work (all with more than one prompt for testing, and passing). I stopped home, picked up laundry, and again started car with no problem (note: not eating, drinking, touching or applying anything).

About 5 min later when I pulled into parking lot of laundromat, requested test again. No problem. Used to it after 7 mos. VIOLATION. For no reason. Requested a retest after 1.5 min, which I thought might clear the violation. Nope, I PASSED and still was left violated with a 4 day time limit to have it calibrated. I started my laundry, started car, again with no issue. Also was prompted to blow again before I got home, also no problem. Called customer service, explained what happened, even offering to go to my local police to be tested and documented that I was sober. Was transferred through 5 or 6 people, telling each the story, each telling me they were unable to help me, but "maybe this department/person could"...

Basically all of the representatives/operators telling me it's "not their problem". Finally after customer service, troubleshooting/service dept, credit/collections, and back to customer service, I was told I would not have a choice but to pay to have it calibrated (even though I made it clear that was financially impossible), and to file an incident report, requesting a solution, or if I paid for calibration, a refund. This company has ABSOLUTELY no fail-safe as to how a client could make a case and prove that it was device error, not a mistake or violation on their part. While we ARE advised in the beginning that certain foods or drinks could show up as a false positive, this has NEVER happened, and I eat and drink MANY different things.

I have, in fact violated due to residual alcohol in my system the day AFTER drinking. Again, I take responsibility for my genuine violations. However, receiving a positive reading when I had done nothing to trigger it, and all the while ALL the other tests this evening I PASSED (except for one at the end of the night, where it requested an immediate retest, which I also passed. I feel like this system/company has no availability for an innocent person, who is TRYING to do the right thing and is paying a RIDICULOUS amount for Smart Start's SERVICE to be able to legitimately plead their case in the event the device malfunctions or tests incorrectly.

Basically the client is stonewalled and told they have no choice but to pay for the extra calibrations (even if they are unable), or they receive more violations, vehicle lockout, or worse, additional punishment from the DOT if they violate too many times before removal. I feel as if we are being scammed, stolen from, and being taken advantage of. And we have absolutely no representation to defend us. I intend to continue to call the company and speak to every representative, every supervisor, every technical support person until the very last minute before I receive a lockout. I admit and take the punishment when I do wrong, but if I am innocent, I will fight tooth and nail to prove myself right.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

On the same level of slime as payday loan shops, pawn shops and everybody's approved car dealerships...you have Smart Start. Take people who maybe made a mistake in life, have fell on desperate times and bend them over dry while making it seem like you're doing them a favor. I have had absolutely nothing but problems. For somebody who doesn't drink (or consume anything else that sets it off), I sure get a lot of warns and fails. As well as warning messages, random charges...and zero customer service unless you owe them money. Clearly, don't drink and drive. But if you are a person who has already made this mistake and are reading this, my advice to you is this...

You've already adapted for a long period of time without a car...keep acting like you don't have a car for another year. This program will teach you no lessons, it will just be a continuous nightmare in which they profit. Drive the minimum mileage, bring it in on time...get it out and move on. The more you drive, the more problems you'll have...the more it will cost and longer you will have it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have had my device for about 3 months. Viololo 71 hrs. every month before my appointment... Blow longer... 5-minute timeout blow longer. 5 minutes... blow longer. Replaced my battery yesterday... still at 11.75 percent. I can't trust this device at all. It said when you have to get up 2 hours early for work and try it and find work. I get the truck started Finally and rolling test and blow... nope blow longer 5 mins. Blow... 5 mins. ** today after my AA. After 10 attempts it put me in Violock71hrs... this is a new one... then it asked for a code... Please help anyone have any answers... I'm about to let the truck sit there until my time is up for it to be taken out. Nothing but issues with this ** thing. This device is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Updated on 01/14/2019: Vehicle was totaled and sent to a salvage yard, Smart Start has no vendor or mobile vendors to remove the device to transfer to other vehicle. Their option was to tow the vehicle to a vendor for removal and tow back to salvage yard. Costing around $800 for a flatbed hoping that the service station could remove it quickly so I wasn't stuck with the $80/day yard storage fee at the salvage yard since you can't sign over the vehicle title until the intoxilyzer is removed! Spoke with what I presumed was a helpful honest lady named Amanda @ ** who told me that all I would be charged for would be the $50 download fee for the disconnect (since the vehicle lost power) and they have free install now.

So I got the device removed and brought the new vehicle with device in hand to the service station and was told after they finished that it is now $200, $150 for vehicle transfer/install and $50 for the violation for the unit losing power. 2 things to keep in mind, 1 the installer did not have to transfer just install (supposed to be free), and I was told the $50 was for the violation lock for loss of power. Not for the download I was explained. After the service station finished they even tried to resolve it and understood exactly where I was coming from since there is no vendors to remove the device and it supposed to be free install and this was clearly not a transfer since it was nothing for him to remove and reconnect. Anyways I then spoke to a lady named Taylor ** who then basically called me a p.o.s. liar and told me that I was told this price.

Well lo and behold I had my phone on speaker with 2 others listening in when all I was told was the $50 download and free install. I told Taylor to pull up the phone call (I also work for an agency comparable to them, I know their calls are recorded). She says she will look into it and get back to me tomorrow, I told her I would also like an apology after she listens to the phone call and verifies that the info I reiterated is true and I'm not a liar! I gave this company the benefit of the doubt last time and worked to resolve the problem. Now is going to be a little more complicated. This reiterates my original review... This is my fault and I'm a liar?!?! Previous Review: First thing is if anything goes wrong it is 100% your fault! They take no responsibility for faulty equipment or if the installer damages anything. If you ever need customer service and call them they give you the run-around and blame you. They never respond to emails.

Original review: First thing is if anything goes wrong it is 100% your fault! They take no responsibility for faulty equipment or if the installer damages anything. If you ever need customer service and call them they give you the run-around and blame you. They never respond to emails. My state (WI) allows me 1/2 priced interlock pricing and the company won't honor the court order.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

The device wouldn't operate properly. Got stop light, initializing, then Smart Start on the screen. No opportunity to blow. IE No opportunity to start my car. They said it was my battery. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. Same exact thing happened. They said I needed to have my car towed in, wasting time and money. Couldn't make it to work for a meeting, or to plans that night, or the next day since they were closed. I very well may lose my job due to not being able to make it to work. If I had known ahead of time the device would malfunction I would have Ubered, but it was too late to get a ride.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

To begin with if I could vote no stars I would! I highly recommend not going with this company, from the beginning nothing but problems and I didn’t even get the device installed. Was charged for the device that later couldn’t get installed. Tried getting a refund only to be transferred 3 times and put on hold for 30 minutes until I could finally get to talk to someone who could “help” me get my money back. Customer service agents don’t know much about their own product nor do they have viable information whether or not there’s an upcharge for a vehicle even though they ask if it’s push start or key start. DO NOT USE SMART START.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I spoke to two people on the phone insisting I had to pay for a lockout code in the instance of my car being in the repair shop while the due date passed. The lockout fee is 50 dollars. This seems a bit like robbery to me. Customer service reps don’t seem keen on servicing customers in the slightest; very unhelpful. I understand a business is to be run, but this is another level of petty. I wish I had read these reviews before choosing this company to be in control of my vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Smart Start devices never work and every time I go in for a 10 minute calibration, it ends up being a 1-2 hour er ice because the device ends up defaulting and the shop guys have to go through dozens of devices before it works properly. Smart Start Canada's a ** company made up of ** products. They need to shut down production immediately and start again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Most times you have to blow and oh yes hum like 15 times before it will analyze. If it does at all. I just got a lockout message in 4 days cause I missed the countdown even though I blew and hummed 15 times. These systems are a joke and dangerous and the state legislatures who passed this junk should be booted out of office. Oh I forgot they don't have a clue what's in the legislation they passed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I never wrote a review in my life ever. This time, I can't just skip it. I live in East Coastal NC, my county just has declared to evacuate immediately due to hurricane cat 5. I have an appointment on Friday which is the day after an expected day (Thursday) of hurricane hits. Her name was Sandra as far as I remember who assisted my call, she told me that they don't know whether they open or not. I asked her that if they close, do you guys send a notification to customers so we can reschedule? She said, "I don't know, do you think I know?"

What on earth people hire that person as a customer service representative. She kept repeating me 'Do you think I know?' more than 3 times. She wanted to argue with me or piss me off on purpose. I asked her that "what do you mean, it's customer service, are you trying to argue with me?" She said, "No, because I don't know." Even though you don't know what the company handles for this hurricane issue, you shouldn't have said, "Do you think I know?" with that looking me down voice tone like you are starving to fight with somebody who seems easy to attack. She was so rude, not helpful at all. I don't have any issue with the product but customer service. Jesus Christ!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The device broke during calibration. Left me stranded on the side of the highway outside of cell service. They wanted me to pay to have the new device registered to my account. Something about a violation. So... I don't have the money. They charged me for a missed appointment. Which I didn't. Now they are saying when the timer is up I will need to get an unlock code at the cost of $90. So that is $90 for a unlock code $60+ for the violation and the $30+ for the missed appointment. Wow! I just paid $120 for the calibration. Now to no fault of my own I need to find an extra $200. Like what the...

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Hello I am a client. I have had many issues regarding refunds, false readings and Equipment malfunctions with Smart Start. Just the simple blow and hum is utterly ridiculous and difficult for most of us. It is also unsafe I might add when you have to write on the freeway or make a turn and it continuously beeps because you have your air conditioner on!

However this is not the reason for this review. There's been one bright spot in this whole experience for me and the technician at the 25 Road location Grand Junction Colorado. His demeanor is stellar. He's always patient and I'm sure it's a very difficult position to work in. I always feel better leaving than when I arrived. He should be commended and also get a raise. I've seen aggravated client and I witnessed firsthand his patience and professionalism. I really appreciate it in a world gone crazy with rudeness. He always explains everything calmly and does the best you can to go to the extra mile for me. He's a really good guy.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I've had an Interlock in my car now for two years and have two years to go until removal, and over the time that I have had the device for I have had a lot of false readings that the Interlock is registered. I have found out by experience that if you smoke and I do, that if you don't blow all the smoke out of your lungs before test it can register as high as .006 and of course that's a reading to the judge that you have to go before to ask for your Interlock to be removed! Not only smoke tho as I also found out that the energy drinks V, can register quite higher than .006 if you are drinking one in the car and the device asks for a test, in fact I've had as high as .011 and not just on the odd occasion quite constantly also, so as far to my knowledge no other interlock device has been so sensitive.

There are more foods and drinks that would do the same thing as cigarettes and energy drinks such as cheese and bacon rolls and tomato sauce, so I guess I am not the only one? And when is the company going to do something about this? Hopefully a full class action goes ahead and with all the money that they make they could correct the issue and for once give an honest and true reading of .000.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I completed 2 year IID program. When first installed I needed a new battery because of my IID. I got a few violations the first 6 months then I mastered it. Paid $150 for Cal. every month. If I played my bass in stereo too loud it'd say tamper abort. Otherwise, I really had no issues. I could blow into it successfully very easily, I did it driving like nothing. I went on road trips with it. I would detach it almost every day and put it in a safe spot in my room. Especially if it was really HOT or COLD. I've accidentally left it in both super hot and freezing temps (very dumb) it was VERY slow to load, but no defects at all or false violations.

Remember almost everything is your fault when it comes to damage, violations, lockouts, car accidents! I've heard of devices failing from being left in hot, cold temps or water damage. Don't use mouthwash with alcohol before you even think about blowing or you're dumb. Don't drink at night and then blow in your device the next morning, ever. Don't think "oh it's been long enough". I seriously am a Smart Start master and this was cake for me after awhile. The worst part was avoiding having people in my car. I have a decent car I worked hard for.

I couldn't have friends, co workers, girls, or anyone in my car without being embarrassed and sometimes judged. I have more excuses why I can't give you a ride or use my car to go out than anything. It's over. I will never drink and drive ever again! It's called UBER. I'd rather pay $5k-$10k for an UBER than get another DWI. It ruined my life and finances and mental stability for a while. All the court dates, lawyers, fines/fees, classes, stress lectures, IID, dealing with RMV and the billion other crappy things DWI/DUI brings. I'm done. Bye Smart Start. I will never see you again. I can promise that.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I only needed Smart Start for two months after having QuickStart for ten. QuickStart was even worse but I digress. First of all, the Smart Start unit is outdated and archaic. The thing that says, "Blow Me" looks and feels like it's from 1972. However, I had no trouble using the device other than it required a longer and longer blow time. It was still an easier blow that QuickStart! My biggest issue was being told I would need to buy a prepaid Visa to make a payment. I didn't have my actual ATM card on me but I know the number. So I buy the card and make the payment. They tell me it's declined.

I ask the guy (different person) if I can just give him my real ATM number (not the prepaid), and he says yes. So I make the payment and it goes right through on my actual bank account. Next day, I just happen to check the balance on the prepaid card since they told me it was declined and wouldn't you know, it's missing $75. I call Smart Start and tell them and immediately I'm treated like a convict (which I'm not aside from DUI). They tell me that I need to provide them with a bank statement. I tell them I don't have a statement because it's a brand new prepaid card. They say oh well they can't do anything about it. I hope they all burn.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have had massive problems since inception. With paying 50.00 extra $ when a violation isn't even your fault. Then they make one up the n.m so you don't get reimbursed. To cal. dates if it's in the days of that month you should be able to do it when you have many. I have to pawn something in the middle of the month just to pay and cost 50$ more. Government cash cow. They care about $ not saving lives.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have multiple video of me blowing normal and it constantly saying abort pump, tampered device, violation lockout... I have had the device for one month and now need the 3rd service done on it too in which the device is at fault for malfunctioning. It has told me to blow, and then no beep buzzing or anything. Completely dead. I thought it was the first car I had it in, and it was a standard car, I almost ran an old couple over trying to pull over to blow... I had it removed placed in an automatic and had have nothing but issues. The 1/3 was because I forgot about the mouthwash I had used. I have paid 300$ already the first month having it, installed reinstalled, lockouts. I’m contacting the BBB and state. This make me want to give up already. I am so frustrated and I cannot get any of my necessary livelihood things done because the device isn’t working properly EVER.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had to have this in my car for 6 months on first DUI. I only got stuck with it because I blew very high. I got my DUI on 3/20/2015, now over 3 years later I finally am done with all the DUI stuff. I got a total of 6 violations during the 6 months, only one was actually valid, because I could not repeat a rolling retest after the device fell under the passenger seat. The rolling retest is a horrible thing if you have a manual transmission. To make a long story short I paid an extra $240 for violations that happened at random and never even got any reason why they happened along with the fact they were never reported to the state. Pain in the butt. Will not give me extra monies I paid back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Had the IID installed 3 months ago. After a while I needed a new battery. Unrelated to the IID. So I had a new one put in. Had to jump thru phone hoops to get a restart code. Then had my monthly real done. A few days later the clip at the unit broke off. Had new cord installed. The device started acting different. Needed longer blow time. Now it is not working at all. The instant I start blowing as directed it immediately alarms and says blow longer. Cannot contact the local tech. They never answer. My car is now sitting disabled in a mall parking lot overnight. Thank God I wasn't out of town since I do travel a lot. Tomorrow should be interesting... Whenever the installer sees fit to respond to my multiple texts... So far, not at all happy with the device or service.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Most people won't take the time to review a good experience, A lot of the negative reviews seem to be from individuals directing anger over their situation towards this company. I was given some flexibility in scheduling appointments for calibration. The unit displays your appointment date as a reminder. If you get a lockout for missing an appointment you shouldn't blame the company. This device allows you drive, satisfy the court/state and ensures you don't continue to drink and drive. This company was great to deal with and the product worked flawlessly. Great customer support. No false positives and no damage to my car.

With any interlock, it is important to have a good battery, good alternator and good battery connections. This device is accurate and alcohol specific. I work with solvents that contain alcohol and having it on my hands and clothes never caused a positive, food and non-alcoholic drink never caused a positive (though they tell you to drink water before use). I only blew positive once and that's because I drank heavily the night before and still had the equivalent of 1.5 drinks in my system. I had one issue where my battery voltage was low and the unit registered a circumvention, I was able to call customer service and get it easily resolved. I was always treated respectfully by every member of their staff. I had this in my car for 9 months.

Original review: March 3, 2018

So once you finally get nailed for drinking and driving. Yes I'm guilty never argued it also never hit or killed anyone or anything. Now after being ** over by a lawyer... drug threw the courts for a year then applying for a blow box that is mandatory. Wait another month for them to decide if I can have something that is mandatory. At what point? Get treated like dirt through registry, my insurance company that I'm going to cancel then court **. Now I have to deal with Smart Start idiots... it's only been 3 days so far now I need to pay for a new battery clamp they broke and I'm not allowed to disconnect power or pay more. I put the trickle charger on it until Monday then I will drive it in and have their BS removed. Not allowed to fix your own vehicle relay. Not much for options in Canada just Smart Start.

So if you need work done on your vehicle you get to pay a mechanic to sit on hold all day? Seems funny the breathalyzer the cops had worked fine but this cheap junk doesn't. ** them. I'm pulling it out brew my own beer or shine. Had enough of your scams stupid Canadian government. Managed to quit drinking for a year now this ** I can't afford to drink or drive and ** you intact insurance. Worst program ever for MADD Canada. How about go after car thieves that kill people! Maybe leave people working for a living alone. Now I'm sober and mad as all get out.

Smart Start Company Information