Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.27/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Smart Start Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Ever since I had this device in my car I never get a month without any violations and I don't even drink! They are for missed blow test because the device will go off after you shut your car off and get out or sometimes I will look at the device screen and it won't say anything on it then the next day when I get back into my car it will say violation lockout and I won't even know what for and also using a prescription mouthwash. Never have got my money back with filling out indicate reports like they say you will.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had my device in 2 months exactly. Got violent lock out and had to tow my car to the shop cuz they didn't explain to me about a missed test that I had 2 mins after I left. It keeps malfunctioning by the screen freezing so I had another missed test, had to take it in. Now tonight I had to leave it at my work cuz it's on please wait for 25 seconds then blow, I blow then it goes to please retry. That's all it does. I'm gonna pay to have it removed and go somewhere that my friend told me to go but I didn't listen. Costing me too much money.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I was ordered to use Smart Start travel as part of my bond when I am to be traveling out of the country. I am to use it between 6-9 am daily. These units don't automatically connect to change the time, you need to have it set prior to leaving the country. So now before I leave the US I get to do a breathalyzer in the middle of the night.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I chose this company because of the cost efficient way they run. Other places charged for install, monthly fee, and the calibration fees. The monthly fee was the same though. They have terrible service. I have had mine installed for a week, and I have continued to have power losses which has caused me to be late and miss work. This is not a product for someone who truly is self reliant because it is inconsistent. My car is eco friendly and every time the engine shuts off and it wants a test I have to park and restart in the middle of traffic. Nobody gave me any advice on how to handle this so I had a major issue. Also, I have NEVER reached anyone on the support line. In fact I’m on hold for thirty minutes for the third time waiting to get my car going. I wish I would have paid the installation fees instead.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Violations when I run into a store, haven't had anything to eat or drink, and restart my vehicle in under ten minutes, after passing the initial test... And I passed the retest one minute later. Violation for a test that happened after my vehicle was shut off and I'd left the vehicle. You have to hum and blow into the device for a sample... I hum and blow the same way every time yet I'm constantly told to hum louder or blow longer. Do not choose this company! I will be switching providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

This device has caused me A lot of money! I take responsibility for my drinking and driving but I don’t think I should have to pay by having this thing drain my battery in less than 12 hours!! Having the tow company come and jump my battery every week or two I’ve now had to purchase an expensive battery charger!! I’ve had to have my vehicle towed three times, the wiring was polled and it’s at the shop for three weeks to figure out what was wrong and certainly after the wires were pulled and they let it sit for a week at the vehicle started right up so nobody can tell me it’s not a smart start killing my vehicle. I never ever had a problem until this thing was installed!! Smart start needs to figure this out.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

On 12/17/2018 I was in a collision accident where I got tboned twice and called Smart Start to give them the location of the impound where my totaled car was located. The other insurance company was responsible for the payment but smart start never went to get the device. Now I'm being charged 775$ for their negligence and I paid for insurance on the device. Now they are rude, will not investigate and holding my license captive until I pay for their mistake.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I have had my unit for 10 months. Didn't have any problems until about 2 months ago. Started getting Violation lockouts and other listings on the Display window after doing the blow test in 3 different time windows set up on the machine for daily testing. I pay $80.81 a month for the device, now with the Violation Lockout/ Service Lockouts, they charge $53.54 to unlock the machine every time the Lockouts occur. Regardless of the Complaints to Corporate or the tech where you get the unit (supposedly serviced) the tech does nothing but download the unit and take your money. Being this is a court ordered device, you are forced to comply to the payments set by this company or be in violation of your court order????

Excuse my language, but this company has you by the balls and they know it and take advantage of the situation by the machine giving these false readings. In my personnel opinion, they set/program these machine's to give these Lockout situation's to get all they can get from you money wise???? Plus, causing you problems with your probation requirements. It Seems awfully strange to me that the violations leading to the Lockouts occur in the Evening time window, 5:00p.m / 8:00p.m. And as I stated to Corporate and the service tech, that time frame is during my dinner/ supper time of the day. And over and over telling them that I have had no alcohol at all the whole time I've had this machine. I was even told by Corporate that they would place my Complaints in my file, and that the tech where I get the machine serviced would check out the unit and replace it if necessary.

You tell the tech what Corporate said and he just replies, "Well something is causing the collections," downloads the machine, takes your payment, and nothing is done as far as checking out the unit???? The machine hasn't been cleaned since I've had it, which leads me to believe it was more than likely not cleaned since the individual before me used it. As I stated previously, your Complaints fall on deaf ears, they are only in it for the money and know there's nothing you can do about it???? I did not even give this company 1 star on the rating scale, they don't even come close to 1 star!!!! Well I guess I have to give at least a 1 star on the rating scale, or my review will not go thru????

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I see a lot of the other complaints, remember it's your own fault you are in this position. That being said, I had very few problems in 9 months, I was instructed to buy a can of air and spray into the back of the device prior to leaving the house and after I started doing that it very rarely malfunctioned, and very rarely did not read a blow. I never received fails, or warnings because I did not try and drink and operate this device. It never once drained my car battery. Loud music does not effect the blow as I've read in some complaints, nor does food, these will not cause a failed test. I was never locked out. Just follow the rules, don't skip rolling tests and get through the process. You aren't fooling anyone trying to say it failed you for no reason. Nine months and had no problems at all. If you want to drink, take an Uber.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Hello my name is Jeff **, I have had this product for 3 years and I was a month away from being allowed to drive normally. Two weeks from my four months without violations requirement being met the unit started saying I was violating, and not just after the initial blows I had passed a long the second blow 6 minutes after I was 30-40 minutes into my drive to work and stopped And a gas station got a black coffee prompted by the car to blow I did and then once again I passed then the 6 minutes comes up and I blow and it’s says violation then immediately gives me a lock out and timer. I was very upset I wrote Into an incident report. They say takes 3-6 business days for responses. I finally get a response, in the response they don’t do anything or verify that they acknowledge the incident instead after calling they told me to send the email, the email then tells me to call Service Techs. So I do.

After being on hold for 20 minutes (no exaggeration) they answer the phone. They then explain to me information I have already been told about how to avoid violations. I tell them the machine is faulty. Something is wrong. They don’t believe. They tell me that I miss a blow and that’s not what happened so then they redirect to what they call “admin department.” I talk to the admin. They tell me they have no evidence of my incident report. I then getting frustrated ask to speak to management. The employee going by “Z” tells me they don’t communicate with management or even have a number to speak with a supervisor. “So the employees don’t even have to talk to management?” I say. “There is no way for us to contact them at all.” They tell me. “So what can I do to resolve this?” I ask.

They said, “There’s nothing I can or anyone else can do for you sir, I can redirect you to the service department for training on the device,” and so on in this one order I was redirect or sent to three different departments l, after multiple trips to their actually Smart locations. This device is made to malfunction and the customer service is a joke and it’s a loop like someone mentioned earlier.

And so I am going to be contacting an attorney and fight to see if I can get my reimbursement and something to make it so this problem goes away and if there are other people out there who would like to be informed or part of this potential lawsuit please send me an email and description of your experience and I’ll see what we can do about a potential class action law suit.

Smart Start Company Information