Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Smart Start Reviews

Original review: March 24, 2020

Do not use this company. They are notorious for charging for false positive tests and extending your end date because of it. Just to be clear this is illegal!!! And they do it randomly so be prepared for it, there will be a countdown during this time and you won't be able to blow for more 10 min. RCW states that you must retest within 10 min. They know this. The false positive will force you out of the 10 min mark during the countdown. When you call the hotline and finally get through the prompts that take 5 minutes to get through there will be a prompt letting you know that you need to unplug and replug the device in order to retest. They will make you come in for a download, charge you a fee and they'll tell you that you'll have to make an incident report in order to get your money back or to remove the fee but when you make an incident report they will tell you that it is a contaminant and your fault.

There is no supervisor at the call center, they forward you to a voicemail and never call back, rude over the phone and they most of all take advantage of you financially because you already have legal issues. I dont care how nice the techs are. The Corporate office will rip you off. Take a look at the consumer reports on this company, they are incompetent and thieves, they do not send reports to DOL on time in order to make you pay an extra month. It's only a matter of time before someone sued this company for the things they do and the money they steal from people.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Since I had this installed, I've had nothing but serious issues! Costing me much more money than I expected & cannot afford! They install faulty devices & false positive readings, that cost $75+. I had the Tech in their Freeport location actually recalibrate this faulty device to a level where I couldn't breathe to start my car!?? Nasty individual that put my health in harm's way by doing this. Along with additional fines, saying MISSED TESTS!?? Stay away from Freeport Avenue Sound-$$$$ As far as the company Smart Start. Horrible customer service, they do not acknowledge anything you tell them is wrong and you are then in the Rears -$$$. There is a much better company out there, I wish I had chosen that one! PLEASE BELIEVE ME! I CALLED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL and THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ON THEM! I am getting it removed and going to a different company... GOOD LUCK & They are a Total Money Grab Co.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Just had this installed in my vehicle on Feb 28th. It took the technician in Maple Ridge 8 hours to install it and they charged me an extra $100 “specialty fee” because it’s a Nissan Murano. On the way home.. it was acting weird.. beeping so I had to go back a few days later (and $67 dollars for them to reset it) for another 3 hours. Few days later was at my friend's house.. and left to go home about 3 am. Had a violock4day code..??? Called customer service and they said I missed a rolling test.. Between 11:30pm and 12:45. I WASNT IN THE CAR then??? Back to the shop for another $67 reset (3 more hours and another day of work missed).

Few days go by and I’m out for my birthday with friends and I get a call over the loud speaker That my horn is going off.. ...ANOTHER rolling violation only This time.. the device was in my purse inside the establishment I was in.... so.. back again to get It reset and ANOTHER $67 and missed another day of work. Plus it was my birthday. Tonight.. 1:45am.. sleeping and the horn is going off outside.. device inside my purse...I’m so sick of this...

Original review: March 12, 2020

Got my unit put in yesterday. I can’t get the technique of blowing and humming right! Had to bum ride to and from work (car won’t start). I’ve missed rolling test and other test sitting in driveway trying technique with Service reps on phone for 2 hours- get it started then 15 minutes later fail to do the blow hum the right way and get a missed test! I’ve been so upset. Crying with anxiety like I’m having a heart attack- been a HEAVY SMOKER FOR YEARS and about to have a nervous breakdown! At wit's End! What’s my alternative??? Called my probation and she can’t help- called Judges office with no return call. Called Smart Start 4 times today and twice yesterday (which was the day it was Installed). Lord help me, but I’m chewing off my teeth at the bit!!!! They said, "Take car to service. He’ll Fire." I can’t even get down the road to take it there!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I helped my girlfriend to get interlock installed in her car and this is what I found out. First of all when you applying online customer service asks for your social security via email, that’s alerted me in a beginning. Second, device itself looks like old rotary phone. :) Come on we are in 21st century now. Paying $82 a month will buy you new iPhone. Third, camera that installed in your car violates all your privacy and your passengers privacy as well. And finally it’s unsafe from medical point (hygiene) to have this plastic blow tube in your car which you can’t even disinfect and you know why.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I have Smart Start installed in my car few month ago, it killed battery already and now my car computer is damaged. Whole wiring was done improperly and I need to tow my car for my own expense even it was smart start fault. Customer service is rude and useless. If you want your car alive don't install smart start.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Customer service centre would pick up their damn phone after at least 30 minutes of hold every single time, the device wouldn't turn on since day one, then tells me to not drive for the next 48 hours until one of the managers confirm escalated service in such a rude tone. Who in the service industry deal with their customers with such attitude and first of all, get your device working. Miserable quality device that would never turn on, then the customer service would blame on your vehicle's power, fuses, or whichever that they can blame on to. Can't believe that the governments have chosen this company for their people or just to grab people's money. Absolutely horrible with uncountable malfunctions.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

6 months of hell, with faulty interlock. Smart Start keep telling me recall 3 means problem with my car battery or alternator. RACV tell me that battery etc is fine, that problem is with interlock. Had car towed 3 times to service centre, they fix and say it was problem with interlock. But nothing on record of this. Finally swapped over for new unit last week car was disabled again, 3rd time. Due to get it removed in 2 weeks, so I register with AIMS to see about applying for getting interlock removed, to my horror, I found that I had 2 violations for not blowing into device when requested, which I was totally unaware of, and that I have acquired another 6 months of hell on top of my time already served.

I suspected and worried something like this might happen as the unit has been been so unpredictable, recall 2 constantly, which smart start say is just camera issue and if intermittent to not worry, horns/alarms blowing randomly for no known reason, constantly have to unplug handset to reset as it gives me no blow option. Quite a few times I've had to leave it overnight at work or at shopping centers because I couldn't start it. Then next day return and it starts. Anyone had success with disputing these violations? Who to contact, Vic Roads weren't any help.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

This has been a total nightmare from day 1. Within the first 10 minutes of driving home after the install I was prompted to take a rolling re-test. No matter what I tried it wouldn't work. It kept prompting me to "blow harder" or "blow longer" & multiple other error messages. No matter what I did it wouldn't take it. I finally had no choice but to turn the car off because the horn was blaring and lights flashing and I was in a residential neighborhood & people were literally coming out of their homes to see what was going on. Of course, if you turn it off without completing your rolling retest you get a violation. So strike one within the first hour of having the thing! There is no rhyme or reason to it. What works one time won't the next.

5 days after having it I went to pick my daughter up from school and my brand new battery was dead. After charging it for 4 hours I tried to start it. The first test said "retry" so I waited 2 minutes and passed. This morning when I tried to start it it gave me an error message and said I had violations. I called the place that installed it and was told to bring it in. The guy told me that on the day it was dead when I tried to blow in it the first time at 7:12pm it had a reading so high that I would've been "belligerent drunk." Keep in mind I hadn't had anything to drink not to mention it only said "retry" and when I took it 2 minutes later at 7:14pm I passed.

I told the guy "so you're telling me my levels were that drunk but I magically sobered up 2 minutes later???" The guy tells me "maybe it was your mouthwash." That makes no sense whatsoever. He told me there was nothing he could do and I had to file a claim with the company. I had to pay him $50 to reset the stupid thing. This thing has been nothing but a nightmare from day 1. It's nothing but a money-making racket for this company. I've had this thing for a week and my nerves are shot every time I even think about getting in my vehicle. Someone needs to do something and make this company accountable.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have had the Smart Start interlock installed in my car for just about 2 months. I only had one issue in the first month with the unit telling me I had failed a test when I was trying to start my vehicle. 2 minutes later I blew and it was a pass. This month has been absolutely horrible and stressful due to the fact that this thing has a malfunction every single day.

I deliver pizzas for work and am in my car more than I am not. I have been in the middle of a delivery shift and the unit will say 'warn' after driving for hours. The countdown of the 6 minutes will start and freeze on 5:58 almost every single time it goes off. I was curious if it would keep beeping and let it go for 10 minutes and it will just keep beeping. The unit has left me stranded with my daughter in the car after dinner because it says 'abort pump', it has displayed all numbers and letters while driving. I have not drank since I had gotten into trouble and I was trying to make it to work the other morning and the unit kept displaying 'violation' I kept trying because obviously I hadnt drank and it was 9 AM and it locked me out.

I called Smart Start and she said we had to wait until it let me try again and we tried to air out the car of my perfume, clean inside the piece where the mouth piece goes and swish my mouth with water and it kept saying violation. It said at the bottom violation lockout 72 hour but the lady never told me I had to get it into the shop before the countdown was up. I went to go to the grocery store and it said 'violation lockout' so now I have to take it up in the morning to get it fixed and hopefully get another unit.

I am not looking forward to dealing with the overly rude lady that works at the Smart Start shop and Im sure they are going to try to charge me an insane amount when this is not user error but horrible issues with their units. I wish I had done my research on the smart start devices before I had it installed. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I also think they are a total driving hazard. Not only does the darn thing give me extreme anxiety it's an extreme distraction while driving.

Smart Start Company Information