1.31/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

403 Smart Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 24, 2018

I've had an Interlock in my car now for two years and have two years to go until removal, and over the time that I have had the device for I have had a lot of false readings that the Interlock is registered. I have found out by experience that if you smoke and I do, that if you don't blow all the smoke out of your lungs before test it can register as high as .006 and of course that's a reading to the judge that you have to go before to ask for your Interlock to be removed! Not only smoke tho as I also found out that the energy drinks V, can register quite higher than .006 if you are drinking one in the car and the device asks for a test, in fact I've had as high as .011 and not just on the odd occasion quite constantly also, so as far to my knowledge no other interlock device has been so sensitive.

There are more foods and drinks that would do the same thing as cigarettes and energy drinks such as cheese and bacon rolls and tomato sauce, so I guess I am not the only one? And when is the company going to do something about this? Hopefully a full class action goes ahead and with all the money that they make they could correct the issue and for once give an honest and true reading of .000.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I completed 2 year IID program. When first installed I needed a new battery because of my IID. I got a few violations the first 6 months then I mastered it. Paid $150 for Cal. every month. If I played my bass in stereo too loud it'd say tamper abort. Otherwise, I really had no issues. I could blow into it successfully very easily, I did it driving like nothing. I went on road trips with it. I would detach it almost every day and put it in a safe spot in my room. Especially if it was really HOT or COLD. I've accidentally left it in both super hot and freezing temps (very dumb) it was VERY slow to load, but no defects at all or false violations.

Remember almost everything is your fault when it comes to damage, violations, lockouts, car accidents! I've heard of devices failing from being left in hot, cold temps or water damage. Don't use mouthwash with alcohol before you even think about blowing or you're dumb. Don't drink at night and then blow in your device the next morning, ever. Don't think "oh it's been long enough". I seriously am a Smart Start master and this was cake for me after awhile. The worst part was avoiding having people in my car. I have a decent car I worked hard for.

I couldn't have friends, co workers, girls, or anyone in my car without being embarrassed and sometimes judged. I have more excuses why I can't give you a ride or use my car to go out than anything. It's over. I will never drink and drive ever again! It's called UBER. I'd rather pay $5k-$10k for an UBER than get another DWI. It ruined my life and finances and mental stability for a while. All the court dates, lawyers, fines/fees, classes, stress lectures, IID, dealing with RMV and the billion other crappy things DWI/DUI brings. I'm done. Bye Smart Start. I will never see you again. I can promise that.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I only needed Smart Start for two months after having QuickStart for ten. QuickStart was even worse but I digress. First of all, the Smart Start unit is outdated and archaic. The thing that says, "Blow Me" looks and feels like it's from 1972. However, I had no trouble using the device other than it required a longer and longer blow time. It was still an easier blow that QuickStart! My biggest issue was being told I would need to buy a prepaid Visa to make a payment. I didn't have my actual ATM card on me but I know the number. So I buy the card and make the payment. They tell me it's declined.

I ask the guy (different person) if I can just give him my real ATM number (not the prepaid), and he says yes. So I make the payment and it goes right through on my actual bank account. Next day, I just happen to check the balance on the prepaid card since they told me it was declined and wouldn't you know, it's missing $75. I call Smart Start and tell them and immediately I'm treated like a convict (which I'm not aside from DUI). They tell me that I need to provide them with a bank statement. I tell them I don't have a statement because it's a brand new prepaid card. They say oh well they can't do anything about it. I hope they all burn.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have had massive problems since inception. With paying 50.00 extra $ when a violation isn't even your fault. Then they make one up the n.m so you don't get reimbursed. To cal. dates if it's in the days of that month you should be able to do it when you have many. I have to pawn something in the middle of the month just to pay and cost 50$ more. Government cash cow. They care about $ not saving lives.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have multiple video of me blowing normal and it constantly saying abort pump, tampered device, violation lockout... I have had the device for one month and now need the 3rd service done on it too in which the device is at fault for malfunctioning. It has told me to blow, and then no beep buzzing or anything. Completely dead. I thought it was the first car I had it in, and it was a standard car, I almost ran an old couple over trying to pull over to blow... I had it removed placed in an automatic and had have nothing but issues. The 1/3 was because I forgot about the mouthwash I had used. I have paid 300$ already the first month having it, installed reinstalled, lockouts. I’m contacting the BBB and state. This make me want to give up already. I am so frustrated and I cannot get any of my necessary livelihood things done because the device isn’t working properly EVER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had to have this in my car for 6 months on first DUI. I only got stuck with it because I blew very high. I got my DUI on 3/20/2015, now over 3 years later I finally am done with all the DUI stuff. I got a total of 6 violations during the 6 months, only one was actually valid, because I could not repeat a rolling retest after the device fell under the passenger seat. The rolling retest is a horrible thing if you have a manual transmission. To make a long story short I paid an extra $240 for violations that happened at random and never even got any reason why they happened along with the fact they were never reported to the state. Pain in the butt. Will not give me extra monies I paid back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Had the IID installed 3 months ago. After a while I needed a new battery. Unrelated to the IID. So I had a new one put in. Had to jump thru phone hoops to get a restart code. Then had my monthly real done. A few days later the clip at the unit broke off. Had new cord installed. The device started acting different. Needed longer blow time. Now it is not working at all. The instant I start blowing as directed it immediately alarms and says blow longer. Cannot contact the local tech. They never answer. My car is now sitting disabled in a mall parking lot overnight. Thank God I wasn't out of town since I do travel a lot. Tomorrow should be interesting... Whenever the installer sees fit to respond to my multiple texts... So far, not at all happy with the device or service.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Most people won't take the time to review a good experience, A lot of the negative reviews seem to be from individuals directing anger over their situation towards this company. I was given some flexibility in scheduling appointments for calibration. The unit displays your appointment date as a reminder. If you get a lockout for missing an appointment you shouldn't blame the company. This device allows you drive, satisfy the court/state and ensures you don't continue to drink and drive. This company was great to deal with and the product worked flawlessly. Great customer support. No false positives and no damage to my car.

With any interlock, it is important to have a good battery, good alternator and good battery connections. This device is accurate and alcohol specific. I work with solvents that contain alcohol and having it on my hands and clothes never caused a positive, food and non-alcoholic drink never caused a positive (though they tell you to drink water before use). I only blew positive once and that's because I drank heavily the night before and still had the equivalent of 1.5 drinks in my system. I had one issue where my battery voltage was low and the unit registered a circumvention, I was able to call customer service and get it easily resolved. I was always treated respectfully by every member of their staff. I had this in my car for 9 months.

Original review: March 3, 2018

So once you finally get nailed for drinking and driving. Yes I'm guilty never argued it also never hit or killed anyone or anything. Now after being ** over by a lawyer... drug threw the courts for a year then applying for a blow box that is mandatory. Wait another month for them to decide if I can have something that is mandatory. At what point? Get treated like dirt through registry, my insurance company that I'm going to cancel then court **. Now I have to deal with Smart Start idiots... it's only been 3 days so far now I need to pay for a new battery clamp they broke and I'm not allowed to disconnect power or pay more. I put the trickle charger on it until Monday then I will drive it in and have their BS removed. Not allowed to fix your own vehicle relay. Not much for options in Canada just Smart Start.

So if you need work done on your vehicle you get to pay a mechanic to sit on hold all day? Seems funny the breathalyzer the cops had worked fine but this cheap junk doesn't. ** them. I'm pulling it out brew my own beer or shine. Had enough of your scams stupid Canadian government. Managed to quit drinking for a year now this ** I can't afford to drink or drive and ** you intact insurance. Worst program ever for MADD Canada. How about go after car thieves that kill people! Maybe leave people working for a living alone. Now I'm sober and mad as all get out.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Machine locks you out every month for no reason. Then you have to pay 60 bucks towing and 50 bucks to have code put in. Talked to manager and they said they will not give your money back. They said even though you don't drink the machine can violate you and lock you out. Not their problem. This has happened every month to me. Blow in. Machine trucks starts, blew in machine few minutes later. Truck violate wait for countdown. 2 mins truck starts. Drive it for rest of day. Went to Start truck week later lock out. HMMMM. How can it pass you two mins later fail you 2 mins later pass you. Then locks you out. It's a way for them to get free money. This machine is to cost 100 per month. It's costing me 250 per month. I would not put a Smart Start in your car. Find a different company. SMART START IS A RIP OFF COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Their equipment is junk and the customer service is horrible. The unit in my car has been malfunctioning several times. Never got any help calling them. Ended up paying for taxi ride few times to work and for towing out of my own pocket. Stay away if you can!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I got the machine installed in Feb 17. It does screw up. They do not tell you why but charge you more monies. It recalibrate it. If you need their help... They hook it to my horn. Now my horn don't work... They said my problem. When I got it removed they didn't send the results to MO. State. ALMOST GOT ME SUSPENDED AGAIN BY THEIR LACK OF DUTY TO SEND REPORT. On a scale of 1-10, a 3. Good luck. IT'S A CONTROLLED SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Any time anything to do with this machine is your fault. Or the vehicle you drive. I have had this machine for 7 months. Only suppose to have it for 6. Live in Texas South and the machine still has to warm up. 6 months at 75 a month is 450. I have paid them 1200 and still don't have it off yet. Someone is getting filthy freaking rich quick. They need to do something about where is the money going. Not only Smart Start but all the IID companies. RIP OFF. For sure. I honestly can say if I knew it was going to bring me down like this. I would of took 6 months in Jail. Just being honest. Because these companies sure are NOT.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I only had it for a few months. I don't mind having it. It has been giving me problems. If I let my car set for two or three days or if it's too cold. I plug it in and either it tells me I'm inhaling or blow harder or softer. I had to take it back three times in one month and the month is not over yet. This is a money thing. If no alcohol is present why can't they give you a code to release it, instead of having to take it back to be service. It cost every time you take it back even if it was not your fault. I think something should be done about this. It has to be a law out there about this. Money! Money! That's what it's about.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Automotive instincts Crest Hill - I’ve read all these horror stories and had a malfunction yesterday and freaked out. My machine said abort tamper. Screen flickering in and out. Not accepting my blows and gave me a lockout. Took it in this morning and replaced my defective unit and no charge! Thank you for the positive experience!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

First of all it's a machine where your time life depends on it. I took mine in for troubleshooting. After testing it would turn off and make you take it again. Also made a short on my electrical. Still have the same problems. All I get is attitude from the guy. Right now it's on lock cause I lost my job call and told they didn't care. They said just to paid fast cause it accumulates. Last week I had my kids. They're allergic. I walk to the pharmacy to buy medicine. Complain all night. Then all of sudden my big one get gangrene in a finger. I could take him to a hospital cause damn truck is lock. I could call ambulance cause I have no money to a pay a 2000 dollar trip.

So the next day my daughter stop by and took my kids to my ex. She took them to the hospital end it up cutting my kid's finger to let everything out. So it left me thinking what if I live in a house with a garage or stuck in a gas station that catches fire or come across a arm robbery and that the only vehicle your family depends on so by the time you start the damn car you're dead. I'm sorry to say this but alcoholics that dont want to see the light are going to find a way to continue drinking and driving vehicles that are not theirs. Now I'm stuck at home or catching the bus or rides to put applications or interviews and people get fed up cause of me taking their time. Like I said faulty machines as well depends on it you being free. Cause supposedly didnt blow cause damn machine never beep when it was suppose to.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This company does everything they can to make money off you and will NEVER accept responsibility for their equipment. If something goes wrong with their system, their go-to excuse is "probably a battery or charging system problem in the car." I've had numerous false positives and "WARN"s, unit not recognizing the car is on, longer and longer analyzing times, last winter it would take over 60 seconds for the screen to even come on when the key was in the "on" position. Last month, I noticed that the time it was taking to analyze my breaths were getting longer and longer again. Nearly 2 years of experience with this machine has taught me that if I don't get the head unit replaced, it's 100% going to give me a violation. It's happened to me twice before. (Which, yes I had to pay to clear the code.)

So last month between servicing appointments, I stopped at the shop at told them my analysis time was getting really long and I would like to have the head unit replaced. I told them that I don't want anything getting in the way of my scheduled removal in January since the machine analysis time eventually gets so long, it just kicks it to a violation. He said they didn't have any more head units available at the time and all he could do was re-calibrate it. Same head unit was left in. Smart Start has an agreement with the WA DOL that they enforce. No violations for a minimum of 4 months in order to get it removed. Since I've been staying on top of the way my machine behaves (also not drinking, eating, no cologne, etc...) I "KNEW" I was good for a Jan 24, 2018 removal and haven't had any cost-incurring malfunctions in over 10 months.

Today is Jan 10, 2018. I was driving home and kicks me violation... twice. Then froze. Twice. Then started acting normal again. BUT... that violation was there now. And regardless... I will STILL have to pay to clear the code tomorrow. After it gave me the initial violation, I started recording video with my phone which clearly shows the abnormal behavior of the machine. I will be going there tomorrow to see what they tell me, considering I requested a new head unit FOR this very reason, AND have video of the entire fiasco. If they say I have to keep this in for another 4 months minimum... I just... can't even, right now.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The Smart Start device is causing my family to not make a living by false violations. False violations when it's cold. Poor customer service. No way to get your car repaired. No way to tow your car. Pure hell.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

After having the device for only 6 weeks I have had to go back the service station 2 times for malfunctions. The first time it read service lock and a week later it violated me. They took care of the service lock no problem. They said there is a problem with the devices because it is so cold. The service station said they had already serviced about 30 of them and three more people showed up while I was waiting with the same problem. Six days later I start my car about 7am and no problem. However, an hour later I try to start it and it says violation, makes me wait two minutes and then passes.

About 5 minutes later, on my way to the service station, the same thing! They insist I must have used mouth wash, which I did not. I was forced to pay a $75, which I did not have! After an hour on the phone, mostly waiting, I was told to find a credit card and the situation would be reviewed in the next 3 days! Absolutely unfair! It only took a few hours for an email to say that I have been reimbursed as a COURTESY to my Smart Start account. This was followed by a list of instruction if DMV sends me a violation notice! This is a complete scam that leaves people with no choice but to make magic money appear for them to put in their pockets! I have read numerous reviews stating the same problems. This company needs to be investigated!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

2 hrs after install I was locked out in 2 hrs. This has happened 7 times in first 3 weeks and every month. Just before time for recalibration does it again since installed. Scam. Sham. A bunch of crooks.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

When a cold weather snap strikes my device is constantly failing. After starting my car it turns off and gives me violations or kills my battery, or the device does not turn on at all!! Then I get charged 60 dollars every time this happens because I’m in violation for a power issue and they make me take time off work to come and get it reset. Their customer service is awful as I’ve never had less than a 1 hour wait on the phone to talk to somebody and then when I do they are not helpful at all.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

This is the email I received from Smart Start after now the 4th FALSE violation. The cold weather does something to this machine, yet they still take your money for their faulty equipment. “Thank you for contacting Smart Start. We have received your incident report and reviewed your account regarding your Violation Lockout on 12.14.17. The Violation Lockout was confirmed to be due to an alcohol violation, however, the log also recorded a passing test a few minutes later. As a courtesy, a partial credit of the lockout fee has been reimbursed in the amount of $40 has been placed on your Smart Start account. The remaining portion of the lockout charge will cover the shop's service cost for performing the violation reset on your device. Have a great day!”

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

The interlock system has malfunctioned "many" times! I call Smart Start "NEW" Activation (5) Five times and got (5) different operators in the snap of your fingers. Who then "Redirects" my call to "EXISTING" Customer LINE. That line was on HOLD for AN HOUR. YES, Pre-existing customers/Technical Support. ALL THEY WANT ARE "NEW" Customers!!!

I am trying to go thru the proper channels. We all need to stop the madness. Allowing senseless impaired drivers kill people. "Put a interlock" system in "Every" car, truck and motorcycle. We will try the new device for a month. If there are any issues it's coming out to have LifeSafer install one of their devices. Court papers does not say, I must use Smart Start. I rode Metro for 1 1/2 years. I can easily go back to doing what I had before and Mary can save all her monies for monthly charges, insurance and the headaches. Again, it's Mary's car. She CANNOT operate the device properly or efficiently. She wants the authorization complete by next Friday or in the works. STOP THE MADNESS, INTERLOCK "EVERY" CAR so no one drives impaired...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I decided to write a review for the first time in my life because of how awful my experience has been through this debacle. On top of everything else we have to do all the backs we have to scratch and all the flaming hoops that we have to jump through, all the while throwing money at all these atrocious things. Smart Start has a 1-800 number that connects you to customer service after a long hold complete with mindnumbing music. After explaining my situation and attempting to troubleshoot a unique circumstance I was asked to hold, transfer and sent to a voicemail. When I called back and waited again and tried to explain that I was cut off and that I didn't wish to be transferred (for fear of being re-routed and having to call back and rehash my story on a painful nightmarish loop). My frustration was met with short-tempered, even more, fierce frustration than my own!

The company doesn't care about speedy service and getting to the bottom of sensitive issues when they say they will call you back they don't, they don't put pertinent information in your file so that when you speak to a different person it's all there in black and white. The truth of the matter is... they make hand over fist for doing absolutely nothing, the customer service representatives hate you and themselves and it shows. The people at my local 76 station, however, are merely the vendors they have to install and remove the devices and maintain the compliance, as the company is based on the East Coast. So if you have a VIOL or a lockout, they don't care about why, or if there is a question or an issue you have to call and talk to the miserable desk people who literally must just get yelled at and put people on hold all day long.

All the vendor does is ask you for $60, they reset your device and send you on your way... no matter what, how or why your device malfunctioned. It's simply a government mandated money scam that makes an entire enterprise off of people who are going through a rough time and are in trouble with the law, no matter your criminal history, how many times you have offended, or anything having to do with the ethical treatment of humans. Rather, customers paying a lot of money to be treated like garbage for 4+ months while being compliant.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I've had all kinds of stupid problems with this piece of cheap company and device. I have to blow 4 or 5 times to get it to work even though I know I'm doing it right. CUSTOMER CARE IS THE WORST I'VE DEALT WITH EVER, EVEN THE ** INDIAN CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EXCELLENT when compared to this scam. They are complete arrogants when you ask them a question. They should be investigated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Don't use Smart Start or their installers for any type work or business matters. Remember if you're part of a scam company as Camper City in Horn Lake MS. A installer for them. I say this about Camper City because they know that Smart Start rips people off but they do their dirty work installing and taking your money. I had twice a code on my device come up after it not working after 15 to 20 tries. It put out a code VIOL LOCK in 70 hrs twice. Each time you must before hrs is up take back in to the installer as Camper City in Horn Lake MS. And pay them 50.00 to clear it each time. Even though you have a faulty pc. of bad equipment!

The installer Camper City told me that cares for this there he can't call them. They won't take his call. Is all up to you and a form on the Smart Start website to fill out to get your money back. You fill it out. You hear nothing. They credit your acct. Only I was told at Smart Start no refunds for the next time you need them? Damn what a shock! Who wants that when you made your last payment and having it taken out. As I said I asked Camper City Kevin for help. No good asking. He said they wouldn't talk to him about refunds?

Also you're charged at time to take out another 69.00 to take the damn junk out. I was scared to drive for reason. The device wouldn't work and then need tow to Camper City. Try getting that money back? Anyway good people stay away from Smart Start company and any company that installs Smart Start devices for these rip offs. Why is this world changing so much? So many rip offs and scammers now. With no help for people getting their money taken as a man holding a gun to your back??

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have had nothing but nightmares the past 18 months dealing with this company. I have had to have my car towed at my own expense because of a faulty head. They had me calibrate my device today, even though I'm scheduled to get it off in 2 days. Also, they stated I will still be required to pay for the removal fee. They will not help you out or reimburse you in any way, no matter was the situation. BBB should investigate this corrupt company.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

You know when you can tell when I company really cares about its customers? You won't get that here. I'll give it to them, they've somehow made a company that is nothing more than a legal scam. Getting the device off of your car will be near impossible. If you ask 3 different people the same question you will get 5 different answers. Need to call someone for an emergency with your device? I hope your emergency can wait 30 minutes because that's how long you're going to be on hold. This is undoubtedly the WORST charade of a company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have had Smart Start installed in my car for about 6 months now, all it has done is cause problems! Had to replace my battery 2 times because of this thing. The customer support does not help whatsoever after being on hold for 45 minutes at the min! Now my unit says abort pump every single time I use it, either it takes 5 minutes to start my car because of that or won't let me start my car! The lady was absolutely no help when I called to get this figured out. I would not recommend this company to anyone and will be switching companies!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I got the device in my car a little over a month ago, at first it worked fine. About 3 wks after I had it the device shut off... no lights on it or anything so I pulled over because I wasn't sure what was gonna happen... I turned my car off and then turned it back on and it started without me having to blow in it. Then my horn started going off so I shut it off again, then it asked me to blow in it and after I did my car turned on. I got to my friend’s house hang out for a bit. Had NOTHING to drink besides water, blew into it and it said violation so I tried again. Yet again it said violation so I went back in my friends for about 20 min and came back to my car. It then let me start it with no violation. But it said "7 day violation". I just figured that meant it was 7 days until my violation was up.

Between this time I would blow in it to start it and then again about 5 min after. The third time my interlock would shut off again. I would have to pull over and shut my car off and this kept happening. Well when my 7 day violation was up I couldn't start my car. It said "violation lockout" so I called the customer service number and they told me that within those 7 days I was supposed to go and get it reset. I explained to them I did not know that and that I wasn't drinking so I don’t know why I got the violation. All they said was that I should of read the manual. So I had to pay 60$ to get a code so I could start my car and had 6 hours to bring it in and get it reset, so I had to pay 110$ to drive my car even though it wasn't my fault!

When I went I told the guy working that my device is messing up so bad I can barely drink because I never know if I'm gonna have to pull over on the highway or be at a busy intersection, he told me I'd have to wait until my appointment to get it collaborated. Also my windshield wiper motor went out on my driver’s side where the device is. I've never had problems with my car before! This device is costing me so much money and it is a piece of crap!!! I want out! I'm spending so much money on it for me to not even wanna drive my car!!! I do not recommend this device to anyone. Stay as far away as possible!!!

Not sure about Smart Start?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Smart Start Company Information

www.smartstartinc.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business