1.2/5 (486 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Smart Start

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Smart Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: May 6, 2022

The guy who did my installation and does my monthly maintenance is the rudest person I’ve ever dealt with. He actually yelled at me for paying online instead of paying at the shop one month. He never smiles, he acts like he’s better than you, and he’s always right, or he thinks he is. I’ve been dealing with this for over a year and decided after I was locked out of my car at the airport in Atlanta from being gone two weeks, I was switching companies. Well so I thought. I received permission to have the device taken out 3 weeks ago and nothing. I even called last week and the lady told me there was no record of the approval letter written from the state.

Now, I’ve got to drive an hour to see this very rude and very hard to be around shop technician. My advice… stay away!!! Smart Start thinks they are superior to even the law, and you almost have to get the law involved just to have the device removed. Poor customer service, customer relations, poor prices, poor policies, poor device (the humming is **), overall the worst experience I’ve had in years!

Original review: April 2, 2022

Can't imagine how this company stays in business. Every single interaction with these people has been a disaster, and their only response is...no response. They installed a defective device on my stepdaughter's vehicle that resulted in false reports to the DMV and an unwarranted extension of the fine period - and a 50% increase in the fees Smart Start collected. When the compliance period was complete, they failed to file the paperwork with the DMV, despite sending us an email saying they did. There is no ability to escalate a discussion to a supervisor, and attempts to file a complaint are ignored. Absolutely THE WORST business I've ever had the displeasure to deal with.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

The worst company.. do not consider them. I’ve had the device in my car for only 3 weeks and have had nothing but problems which have cost me more money. Their systems is old and outdated and does not work most of the time. When It fails they make you tow your car at your expense and then make you pay to fix It. So it’s not affordable. Their reps are Rude and unhelpful. Save yourself a big headache and go to another company. Better to pay a little more and not get stuck with hidden fees because of defective equipment.

Original review: March 27, 2022

2010 Camaro SS. Had device installed. Worked to get my car home, then would not work next day (hum harder 73 times in a row)... Got it in after calling and having them be no help. Service provider tried it wouldn't work so he installed new device.... car died on way home. My hubby is a mechanic... he pulled out the "snap-on" (no cheapy) code reader and it has fried the computer... Needless to say can't drive my car and get to pay for an extremely expensive part. Thank god labor isn't much ... now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to keep frying vehicles so I guess I don't drive... pretty counter intuitive.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I've had an IID from Smart Start for over a year without incident. My vehicle was in an accident and has now been in the shop for over 30 days. I can not get to a live representative who can Give me any pertinent information. I just get endlessly transferred. I called their collections department and someone answered on the FIRST ring! Shocking. I was told I owe an extra $54 now for not bringing the car in on my service date... my car that is in the shop, that I can not drive. Hmmmmm. Oh and I should have filed an incident report? First I've heard of this. This is the absolute worst company I have dealt with. It's terrifying to have your life in the hands of this company.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I have had my ID installed for 4 out of the 7 years required now. First year and second year weren't too bad. The 3rd and 4th years my device starts malfunctioning, recording false positives, violating on its own with it not being touched, and randomly it will beep, get stuck, won't stop beeping or let me take the test, and causing me more problems than it's worth. Customer Service is rude, unfriendly, treats you inhumane because you have the device and it takes 2+ hrs to actually speak with someone if your device is already installed. If you fail a test (in case of a contaminant) but still pass with the following blow, you will pay $53 per service visit. This is additional to the monthly or bi-monthly service charge. And just hope you live in a town that has a service center open more than one day a week. Actually went to my monthly appt. And nobody was there.

Come to find out the guy was passed out on the couch inside from his pain medication. So I freaked out and drove over an hour trying to get to the next closest service center before they closed (this is how long it took customer service to answer). Don't think for one second these people care about you. Even proven device malfunctioning they won't check my wiring or anything after telling me they would. I had the device swapped out but it's still messing up, hello?? These people act like you're stupid and don't know anything. If It was up to me I'd slam the doors on this worthless, greedy, heartless business. If possible, go elsewhere.

Original review: March 3, 2022

If you’re in the unfortunate situation to where you have to install an interlock device ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They overcharge you and give you ** excuses making you over pay. DO NOT USE!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Smart Start is the worst company to go to if you need a IID system installed in your vehicle. Connecticut Dmv cleared all the fake violations they gave me but smart start never refunded the money owed to me. I've been calling them well over a month and they say they would call me back but never do. Don't trust smart start becuse they are cheats and liars.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

If you are able to connect with someone they are helpful and nice but in emergencies or a need to speak with someone...2 hour waits are off the wall and reflect poorly on the company! I guess they have a captive audience so timely responses to phone calls means nothing!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I have been using Smart Start for over a year. 11 months in I was pulled over, arrested, charged with a misdemeanor and car impounded. Smart start never sent in my monthly reports even though I never missed an appointment or payment. A company representative reached out to me to tell me he'd take care of it. I ask, "Define take care of it." He gives me his email and tells me to send him receipts etc. I sent him my invoice from the city I had to pay to give my car back and the tow truck and my attorney invoice. A month has passed me. I have not heard any response from the company. Like I said I already had to pay my attorney as I have already one court date and at least one future one. If you decide to use this company, you better hope to have no issues, because if you do, good luck trying to reach someone in customer service who cares or can actually do something.

Smart Start Company Information