Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.40/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

433 Smart Start Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Interlock/ Smart Start what a joke. The absolute worst machine/technology ever invented for the purpose of functioning. Machine does not function at all like it's intended. Complete junk. Customer service employees, device installer, everyone from top to bottom in the company are worthless. I've had in 1 week everything from recalls to viol lock to random horn going off to no screen. Car won't start. Get my car towed to shop on your own dollar for absolutely no reason. Never failed. Nothing of my causing. That's just half the problem. Junk equipment. Too disorganized scheduling to waiting around the shop for hours because 1 man is trying to fix 6 cars at once. This place is ran poorly from top to bottom. I cannot say 1 good thing about this company. What a joke.

Wouldn't recommend Smart Start. You better off taking the suspension because you're gonna go through hell with these people . Constant problems with machine to being stranded on the side of the road because of faulty equipment/ improper installing. How this is legal blows my mind. Seriously. A class action lawsuit will happen to this company 1 day and I see a lot of people getting what they deserve. The hell you go through just to have this thing is unbelievable. Words can't describe this **....

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Device gave me plenty of false positives. Device would lock out and charge me 70 dollars to get the lock out cleared plus it notifies the DMV. This device should work properly if they are going to hold you accountable. I've been on hold and sent multiple emails to the company and still can't get a response. Can't believe this is legal.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Smart Start installed my machine incorrectly, because of the incorrect installation which resulted in the device not recognizing that the car was turned off and would continue to ask for rolling retests despite being turned off. I noticed this right away as the installation tech told me to wait until I see the restart countdown begin before leaving my vehicle. As I did not see it, I called Smart Start immediately and made them aware of the problem. They walked me through several steps to try to fix the problem, including disconnecting and then reconnecting the head unit. After attempting to troubleshoot the issue over the phone and it failing they scheduled a re-installation appointment to fix the issue.

While I was on the phone with the tech he mentioned that he thought they had connected the device to the remote start wire instead of the installation wire. While the device was working incorrectly I had received several violation as it would ask for rolling retests while the car was turned off and no one was in it. I had made mention of the recorded violations and asked if Smart Start would relay the information that they mistake with the installation when sending the info over, including the violations to the state. They said that the state had access to the file and could see the notes. Well lo and behold, they did not inform the state of their mistake and the state revoked my driver's license.

The only course of action I had was to hire an attorney and repeal the revocation and provide proof of their mistake. So, I called Smart Start and asked them to provide me with the service records so I can forward them to the state as proof of Smart Start's mistake. They refused to do this even though they read the record to me on the phone and it was the exact information I needed. Aside from that getting a hold of a competent employee is like rolling the dice, you will lose almost all of the time. The only access they give you a manager is a voicemail of which I have made several calls to and the call was never returned.

The only course of action I can see that might retrieve a result is to sue them for gross incompetence and plead my case to the judge and hope they see the same disgusting injustices that I have experienced from this company. This is the worst service I have received from any company, not limited to these circumstances. Why is it you are always treated the worst by companies when you have no other choice... I thought Monopolies were illegal, I guess not if they work with the state. If you have another option I can only assume they will be much much better than Smart Start. Save yourself the trouble and choose their competition, there is no way they can be worse than Smart Start.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I am currently on my 3rd installation attempt. The technician is ungodly slow and rude than anyone I've ever come in contact with in a professional setting. I'm on hour 4 of the 3rd installation attempt by these folks as I'm typing. I have NEVER dealt with such careless and rude people. USE A DIFFERENT PROVIDER.

Original review: June 26, 2019

This company is the most frustrating and difficult to deal with. It can't be legal right? First I want to start by saying I have been sober for 15 months. Don't eat, drink or use any products with alcohol in it yet I received a violation for alcohol use. Riddle me that. More money spent and off to the shop. Then a faulty wire and car won't start so I have to pay for a tow. This was in May and still haven't received reimbursement even though I filed the proper incident report and followed up several times. No one can help you when you call customer service.

Yesterday I took the car to the shop to get my monthly calibration and mechanic couldn't finish because there was a hold on my account. Yet when I called no one could tell me what the hold was for. This was the 3rd month in a row that there was a mysterious hold on my account. So here I go back to the shop this morning. My time and money are valuable and this company has wasted much of it. The legal system dished me out my consequences for my DUI. It is not Smart Start's job to do so. There are many other companies that you can use for an IID. DO NOT USE THIS ONE. I don't even know how it is legal to operate this thieving business. The reviews speak for themselves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: May 29, 2019

As I’m writing this I’m waiting for a tow truck for the second time in 30 days because the breathalyzer won’t power on. When the device doesn’t power on, you’ll be left stranded since there’s no way to start your vehicle. Unfortunately I’m sitting in my work parking lot so it’ll be quite a show when the tow truck arrives. I was out $75 for towing last time around and probably out $100 this time. I was told that I can contact Smart Start to get reimbursed for the towing charge so we’ll see how that goes. Absolutely do not choose this device! Luckily I can get it out of my car in 3 months, but who knows if I’ll need to get my car towed back to the shop again if it stops working again before then.

Original review: April 30, 2019

If I could give this company 0 stars I would! I would never recommend anyone getting this interlock installed in their car. You never know if you’re going to get in your car and the machine will actually work. There have been countless times where the car would not start, even after unplugging the battery. So much fun not being able to go to work because your car won’t start and the interlock machine is not working, surprise, surprise. Or how about being stuck at a store or amusement park with 3 upset toddlers and turn the key, only to get dead silence.

Seems like taking it to one of their “recommended” dealers is another joke, since nobody seems to know how this machine works. This company is a laughing stock and loves collecting money from you. Good luck trying to speak to a manager or supervisor about your issues, they are always never around. Check out all these reviews about Smart Start Inc and you’ll get the idea of what your future might hold with their device installed in your vehicle. Can’t wait to have it out of the car and never have to deal with ** Start Inc again!!!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had the device in the car for a year. Then one day it would not power on. I called the service center and they said tow the car to them and they would look at it. It would cost $150 to tow the car and they would reimburse $100. I had a friend look at it. He found the wire that powers it came loose due to a sloppy installation. Once he connected the wire the device then displayed "SRV/LOCKOUT" He removed the device from the car because it had to be moved and I attempted to return it to the service center and they would not take it back. So I contacted Smart Start and they said I had to pay $105 lockout fee. I refused to pay anything because the device failed through no fault of my own.

One person from their collection department told me to fill out an incident report online which I did. It said wait 7 days for a response. After 2 weeks still no response. But I got a response every week from collection department now looking for monthly fee plus lockout fee. I informed them I was waiting for a response to my incident report. The next day customer service responded "There is no incident report from me." So I sent in 8 more incident reports. 4 days later, I got a response, "You were not charged a lockout fee." I don't know if they're customer service people can't read or can't comprehend simple English. Dealing with them and trying to get them to comprehend the situation is impossible.

Original review: April 4, 2019

This is the most aggravating company to deal with. They have no regards for customer service and every time I call them I get juggled between 3 different operators. Especially when trying to get a supervisor or manager on the phone it's literally impossible. I've called 14 times in the past month and haven't been able to speak to one. Left about 5 voicemails and have not gotten a call back. If you have a problem with your device and have to pay out of pocket for violations to get cleared or a mobile service to come out ($159) good luck seeing any kind of reimbursement. They will drag it on for so long. You'll forget all about it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have in the past use another interlock company with no problems. At the beginning with Smart Start there were no issues in four months. All of a sudden it would accept no blows showing “blow longer” - well not allowing me to blow past a second. This it would do on my entire 40 minute mountainous drive until a violation occurred and I had four days to clear it. After paying it, and genuinely believing I would be reimbursed because it was as stated in their policy “not due to Anything I did” basically.

This started three months of constant every four days paying $75 to get the violation lock taken off, resulting in a $400 total extra bill before they finally gave me an ancient Ken said that doesn’t require as much long capacity to pass. No problems since (except For one, after I swallowed a handful of vitamins after lunch and drink half a pop and immediately blew another violation). (I rinsed my mouth and blew right after and it was fine. The violation remained though.) I was shuffled from one person and one department to another everyone saying just fill out the incident report until finally corporate office referred me back to the poor tech-support guy who was the only one that finally helped me with a unit that would work for me. His hands are tied, everyone’s hands are tied...

No matter what they state on their website regarding these occurrences no one is giving you any refunds back. This type of false claims and basically stealing from the already struggling to get back on their feet financially strapped person doing everything right should be brought to justice. Everyone says there’s nothing they can do and I won’t stop until something is done about this. Within a short amount of time this company could be completely out of business if we speak up in the right places, I am giving them a few more chances to make it right, as should the other people who have experienced the same, then take it to another level. If I had known this before signing with Smart Start I never would have other people need to know.

This is not a company to be trusted, you can do absolutely everything right and end up owing them so much as the violations continue for no reason, while they promise you to get back with the refund within 2 to 7 days. I wish the first time this had happened I had switched companies but now I am in too far. I will get my money back, I have a debt to pay for my actions leading up to this, compliance with everything, yet this company “robs from the poor”. It is the worst kind of thievery. Just to be clear when my three months of violations were occurring every four days; I would pay the money to get a violation cleared, and the first blow on the drive back home it would violate me again every single time. Nothing had changed, my headset if that was the problem, should have been changed out after a couple of these Incidences as I asked, not after three months and $400 worth later.

Smart Start Company Information