Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Smart Start Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Started off with a coupon for free installation and 25$ off. Took it to the installer and he says, "mail it in with the contract". SO I do. They claim they never got the contract. So two months later, I have to fill out another contract, and I tell the install tech "here's another copy of the coupon". He says, "mail it in again". This time I make another copy and mail it in. They "never got it" again. Then they say "Oh that's our Texas address, they never forward us contracts, send it to our michigan (unpublished) addresss. So I send the contract without the coupon and call the MI line and they say, bring it back into the tech and they will take it.

Two months later (I have to have it calibrated every two months) I bring it back to the tech, and he says, "call while I'm calibrating and find out what's up." They tell me, "you should have emailed it. We won't honor it now. It's been 6 months". Thing is I sent it in twice and brought it in twice and they claim they never got it. I have pictures and tracking verification they did.

Not to mention the whole time, since day 1. The device fails. Abort tamper. Then shuts off. Then flashes power completely and won't let me blow. Reinitializes, starts up again and suddenly I have a minute left to blow. Rolling retests during driving, it says "blow/abort tamper" repeats without even allowing a breath sample. I bring it in and show the tech, he says "yeah that's a bad device. Here's a new one." Smart Start says "too bad, pay us". 50$ a time. Video proof of all this. Rolling restart failure, abort tamper then flash and repeat, and rolling retest power flashes and device restart/initializations. All of it recorded multiple times.

Call corp office and smartstart says "nope still gotta pay". After 300$ in 6 months of extra fees for "violations" (always supposed rolling retest violations) the manager says "maybe it's a bad cord, pay us 25$ for the cord and then 50$ for the violation reset, and then 178 for the fees and we will change it. The cord is a 'wear and tear' item so you're responsible for it." WHAT?! You installed a faulty item and I have to pay you to fix it on top of the 300$ in fees it's cost me for having "violations" in rolling retests?!! Guess what.... Not even the cord. Faulty equipment and I get to pay for it. AVOID THEM.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Avoid this company at all costs if possible! I have had nothing but problems for 3 years with my device. I have gone thru 2 alternators, 3 batteries on 2 different vehicles. The technicians hook things up wrong and then the car has one issue after the next. I feel this company has the devices rigged this way to cause the car problems. I’ve also had many faulty devices that left me stalled because my car wouldn’t start. The device just goes completely dead at random times and leaves you stranded. Then to get it fixed Smart Start charges ME money to get their faulty device replaced. It’s a complete scam operation they run and hope they go out of business. They also have the RUDEST customer service people working for them. They are condescending, hateful, sarcastic and clueless. They enjoy being belittling to customers.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Ever since I had this device in my car I never get a month without any violations and I don't even drink! They are for missed blow test because the device will go off after you shut your car off and get out or sometimes I will look at the device screen and it won't say anything on it then the next day when I get back into my car it will say violation lockout and I won't even know what for and also using a prescription mouthwash. Never have got my money back with filling out indicate reports like they say you will.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had my device in 2 months exactly. Got violent lock out and had to tow my car to the shop cuz they didn't explain to me about a missed test that I had 2 mins after I left. It keeps malfunctioning by the screen freezing so I had another missed test, had to take it in. Now tonight I had to leave it at my work cuz it's on please wait for 25 seconds then blow, I blow then it goes to please retry. That's all it does. I'm gonna pay to have it removed and go somewhere that my friend told me to go but I didn't listen. Costing me too much money.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I was ordered to use Smart Start travel as part of my bond when I am to be traveling out of the country. I am to use it between 6-9 am daily. These units don't automatically connect to change the time, you need to have it set prior to leaving the country. So now before I leave the US I get to do a breathalyzer in the middle of the night.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I chose this company because of the cost efficient way they run. Other places charged for install, monthly fee, and the calibration fees. The monthly fee was the same though. They have terrible service. I have had mine installed for a week, and I have continued to have power losses which has caused me to be late and miss work. This is not a product for someone who truly is self reliant because it is inconsistent. My car is eco friendly and every time the engine shuts off and it wants a test I have to park and restart in the middle of traffic. Nobody gave me any advice on how to handle this so I had a major issue. Also, I have NEVER reached anyone on the support line. In fact I’m on hold for thirty minutes for the third time waiting to get my car going. I wish I would have paid the installation fees instead.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Violations when I run into a store, haven't had anything to eat or drink, and restart my vehicle in under ten minutes, after passing the initial test... And I passed the retest one minute later. Violation for a test that happened after my vehicle was shut off and I'd left the vehicle. You have to hum and blow into the device for a sample... I hum and blow the same way every time yet I'm constantly told to hum louder or blow longer. Do not choose this company! I will be switching providers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

This device has caused me A lot of money! I take responsibility for my drinking and driving but I don’t think I should have to pay by having this thing drain my battery in less than 12 hours!! Having the tow company come and jump my battery every week or two I’ve now had to purchase an expensive battery charger!! I’ve had to have my vehicle towed three times, the wiring was polled and it’s at the shop for three weeks to figure out what was wrong and certainly after the wires were pulled and they let it sit for a week at the vehicle started right up so nobody can tell me it’s not a smart start killing my vehicle. I never ever had a problem until this thing was installed!! Smart start needs to figure this out.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

On 12/17/2018 I was in a collision accident where I got tboned twice and called Smart Start to give them the location of the impound where my totaled car was located. The other insurance company was responsible for the payment but smart start never went to get the device. Now I'm being charged 775$ for their negligence and I paid for insurance on the device. Now they are rude, will not investigate and holding my license captive until I pay for their mistake.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I have had my unit for 10 months. Didn't have any problems until about 2 months ago. Started getting Violation lockouts and other listings on the Display window after doing the blow test in 3 different time windows set up on the machine for daily testing. I pay $80.81 a month for the device, now with the Violation Lockout/ Service Lockouts, they charge $53.54 to unlock the machine every time the Lockouts occur. Regardless of the Complaints to Corporate or the tech where you get the unit (supposedly serviced) the tech does nothing but download the unit and take your money. Being this is a court ordered device, you are forced to comply to the payments set by this company or be in violation of your court order????

Excuse my language, but this company has you by the balls and they know it and take advantage of the situation by the machine giving these false readings. In my personnel opinion, they set/program these machine's to give these Lockout situation's to get all they can get from you money wise???? Plus, causing you problems with your probation requirements. It Seems awfully strange to me that the violations leading to the Lockouts occur in the Evening time window, 5:00p.m / 8:00p.m. And as I stated to Corporate and the service tech, that time frame is during my dinner/ supper time of the day. And over and over telling them that I have had no alcohol at all the whole time I've had this machine. I was even told by Corporate that they would place my Complaints in my file, and that the tech where I get the machine serviced would check out the unit and replace it if necessary.

You tell the tech what Corporate said and he just replies, "Well something is causing the collections," downloads the machine, takes your payment, and nothing is done as far as checking out the unit???? The machine hasn't been cleaned since I've had it, which leads me to believe it was more than likely not cleaned since the individual before me used it. As I stated previously, your Complaints fall on deaf ears, they are only in it for the money and know there's nothing you can do about it???? I did not even give this company 1 star on the rating scale, they don't even come close to 1 star!!!! Well I guess I have to give at least a 1 star on the rating scale, or my review will not go thru????

Not sure about Smart Start?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Smart Start Company Information