3.8/5 (283 ratings)

About Smart Start

Smart Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

When you are having a rolling retest it should give you 6 minutes to get it. After one blow it shows missed test. I've had it recalibrated and contacted customer service with no positive results. So I get a lockout and have to go in early and pay even more money. Do not use!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

Don't ask for help, don't ask for an extension of your cal dates, don't for ask for anything period. They won't help you. Even getting thru to a person takes FOREVER. Not kidding you, go somewhere else.

Get buying tips about Auto Parts and Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

4 months ago I had a device installed in my car and wasn't supposed to. Instead of helping me they cont. Making me pay the fee. Kimberly from Ten-sc collections hung up on me 2 times and was trying to charge me another 232$ to remove it. So I took the device off myself and gave it to the place I got it from ATV Augusta. Matt the CEO did not like that. He was called on 12-9 at 8:38 am from atv augusta to let him know I was returning his device. He raised his voice, was rude and disrespectful. (Karma will get him and Kim.) I have the conversation recorded on my phone and everyone at atv augusta heard too. If these are the type of people you're hiring maybe you need higher standards. Everyone should be treated fair and with respect.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I would like to give 0 stars. Absolutely the worst customer service and scammers. Nothing but problems since day one... Takes hours to get ahold of someone for help. Faulty devices. Calibration is 70+ miles away

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

Like most customer service businesses, Smart Start is a function of the people who help you. Derrick in Grand Junction, CO is wonderful. Knowledgeable and waaay helpful! If I get in trouble like this again, I will choose Smart Start.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I have really bad asthma. I cannot blow longer at times when it tells me to. I just got this calibrated and almost got locked out of it. Blew into it 20x. Right at 20sec. It let me pass. My lungs hurt! There’s times I barely blow into it and it lets me pass. I nearly passed out. When I drive at night the bright green light is very distracting. I don’t text and drive, this thing is almost like a distracting phone, you have to multitask. You have to read why it’s not letting you pass. You have to wait for a count down. Not sure why this can’t be easier! Also if you have a Volkswagen your EPC light will turn ON. Don’t waste $180 getting it diagnosed. It’s the device.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Their service center is horrible. Takes approximately 90 minutes by phone to get a person. If a person can not help you and they have to forward your call your 90 minutes starts over. This was not a one-time event for me. It was the norm.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

When calling the number provided, you’re waiting for a live person for over an hour. When you use the texting option, the staff are BEYOND rude. I recently bought a new car and had to wait 2 weeks just to have them switch the device over to my new vehicle. Once they switched it over, the device began to malfunction and prompt me to blow WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS TURNED OFF. I have reached out to SmartStart NUMEROUS times and NO ONE has been helpful yet! I’m so over it. On top of the stress you are already going through this company only makes it 10 times WORSE. If I could do it all over again, I would NOT choose or recommend this device or company. Save yourself the trouble and don’t add to it by wasting your time or money with Smart Start!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I am moving to state where my current provider does not serve. Booked an appointment with Smart Start, it was never completed so the shop did not have the right equipment. I have 72 hours for a new install or there would be an extension. I had to scramble to find another company, just added stress to my life. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

This company is horrible. All a scam. Can never get a hold of anyone. Device will lock you out for no reason. And then they want to charge you for it. Lost a great job because I was in another state working got locked out over weekend. Could not get a hold of anyone. Been sitting here on a Monday and still 2 hours later still can’t get a hold of anyone!

Smart Start Company Information