Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Smart Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

To be blunt - I am scared shitless to get in this car. Their advertisement of Easy to Use is just ridiculous. It is so difficult to blow and I am so scared that I will be stranded on the side of the road (happened the first day) that I don't want to even go near the vehicle. There was no booklet, no directions and little to no training provided at install. The unit is also massive. Had LifeSafer before which was so easy to use. Never felt scared to drive the car or that I would be stranded. The unit itself was also smaller and more discreet. Very disappointed so far and scared to death to drive it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

As the headline says, don't use Smart Start- you will regret it! Why? Extremely poor customer service! Hold times of greater than 10 minutes when you need to call in. Employees who are rude on the phone and fail to answer the phone and properly introduce themselves, like they are working from their living room watching TV. Incident reports that should be answered within 7 business days that aren't.

Refunds that are due to their customers that are never provided because employees won't answer their phones but instead place you on hold for indefinite amounts of time-- all sales strategies to avoid providing refunds due to their customers. In my case I pre-paid 2 months for an inter-lock device and then when I was eligible to remove it, and owed over $120, I can never get the collections and credit department to either return my call or answer their phones! Think trying to call a supervisor would work? Tried calling Hugo to complain about poor customer service from Ashton and Decora and can't even get a call back from him.

I'm still on hold while writing this review, going on 20 minutes! When you call to get your device installed, the sales department will be nice as pie! But when you need to call them back for other issues, which most certainly will arise, it will be nearly impossible to get any help! Instead you'll get to listen to their background music, of very poor taste, along with details about how to schedule a payment plan on their online portal, which will certainly fail to address the other 99 reasons you might be calling and especially if it includes any money they owe you in the form of a credit!!!! Stay away from them and find a better provider! They are amateurs and can't adequately support the clients they are lucky to have. You've been warned.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2020

This company is extremely helpful when you call to set up your account and then they ask you to put a review online and they send you a link. I initially went online left a great review prior to having the device put into my car because that's what they asked of me. After having the device into my car I realized that the device was not up to par. It was almost impossible to blow in it at times for that long. Within four days I was locked out and had to pay $75. They refused to reimburse me to $75 even after I got a new device that works fine. All the five star reviews are probably given right after people deal with customer service and not after they have used the device. I was given a second device that works fine and they still refuse to reimburse me to $75 even though the first device did not work well. I suggest anybody looking for an interlock device stay as far away from Smart Start as you can.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I had this device put on my car 4 days ago. Still haven't been able to drive it because says, 'breathe longer' or 'hum harder'. Then it says 'test' and want me to go through process again. I've blown so much I literally passed out in my own driveway! Easy and simple I call **!

Original review: June 7, 2020

I had a violation as soon as I left the shop. Called and said I have a violock but I just left the shop and didn’t know what it was. Well 6 months later my car just finally got all new wiring. Sonic sounds is the best. But I had 1100 hundred in violations since it got fixed not one. Also it burnt my battery out. They say there is no supervisor. Oh his name is Larry but don’t have a number. We all need to get together and get our money back. This isn’t right what they're doing to people. I’m contacting the Better business b. Or does anyone else know what I can do to get my money back?

Original review: June 3, 2020

I was lied to about month to month payments. I was lied to about no fee to take it out. I have been scammed out of over 250 dollars from this company. I suggest this company should be federally regulated not state.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Few days ago I have received email from not identified sender stating that my personal data will be used against me if I don't pay money. Email contained my photos and my children behind while I am blowing into device and it seems that its came from camera installed in my car by Smart Start, my location data where I was for the last 30 days, SSN and driver license, bank and credit card information and even my family members' names. I called customer service and they put me on hold for several hours. I also contacted local authorities and filed online crime report. This very scary situation and I am really worry about my life now. How come Smart Start released it? Is anybody else have same accident recently?

Original review: May 23, 2020

Stubbornly, I took a DL suspension and the breathalyzer route as I would not let the lying officer and the courts force me to admit to something that I didn’t do, so I then had to choose a service. All I can say after my time with Smart Start is that they are all a bunch of disrespectful, arrogant thieves. It is completely a monetary deal with them and to all of them you are nothing but a low life, lying drunk and they speak to you with that exact same tone. My review would be too long to explain every negative issue and horrible detail of mine but I cannot explain how much they lie saying they are there to make your life easier because they are not. Once you're locked into them with the device installed they will treat you like dirt, lie, blame you, be disrespectful and discourteous. They will tell you you have a right to appeal an accidental incident (like I did with sanitizer) then they will just deny you, blame you and treat you like crap.

They will frustrate, demoralize and degrade you (I have a response letter from my appeal to prove it) and they will not help you in any way. To Smart Start you are a dumb nobody alcoholic who is being forced by the courts to pay for a service such as theirs and there is no way around it so they completely get away with their attitudes, tones, and disregard of your life because they can, and the courts and PO’s are backing them up. Sure you can switch service providers but the amount of paperwork involved from them, the courts and the dmv not to mention the amount of money it will cost to switch is very costly and will probably drive you crazy.

Choosing their services was the biggest mistake I have ever made as I was fooled by their initial concern and compassion for my needs at the moment. Don’t let them entice you with their lies! I feel they should all be very ashamed of themselves for dwelling on individuals who’ve made a mistake in life then hide behind the courts and laws to force people to pay and treat people like dirt. Karma will no doubt have its day with each of them for the treatment of people in this uncalled and misdirected way. Customers have no way to challenge or complain about their treatment of us and this is unacceptable. Someone needs to hold them accountable for their actions. Thank God I have only 6 weeks left with these morons.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I work a COVID unit, unfortunately shops close before I can make it for calibration, I was refused a 24 hour lockout code which would help make it to my day off.

The Court finally approved removal and they won't do it--Despite court approval!! They initially installed incorrectly which cost me violations for not "blowing" and now I have to pay yet another calibration fee to drive my car. Tried to call but sat on hold for 26 minutes before giving up, and have e-mailed which is useless. Don't use them. Use another device/system.

Original review: April 21, 2020

One big scam, their "interlocks" will give nightmares, I don't understand how in this day and age they can provide such terrible and unreliable equipment, you'll get on your car on a scorching hot day after humming on this thing for the last 2 months you'll think you finally have it mastered but NO my friend ... HUM LOUDER. HUM LONGER. Don't mind the cord wrapped around your feet. :/ BLOW SOFTER then after you finally get it started they will %100 send you violations in the mail WHICH YOU COULDNT OF DONE. They will get more and more and more money out of you. THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

Smart Start Company Information