Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Smart Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: April 16, 2021

Smart Start is by far the worst nightmare I’ve ever had to endure! Customer Service reps are rude and obnoxious. The whole thing is a joke. They talk to you like you like crap and are no help. I think they’re worst than the device which sucks also. They’re taking forever to “process the removal” of this device out of my car as I type but to get started it took one phone call and it was installed that day. I repeat do NOT go with Smart Start.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Stay away from this company. I have been using it for 11 months & have had 3 different machines so I know what I'm saying. I may have to blow into it 4 times before it will work, up to 10 a few times. It will say blow longer when you start blowing. It's not me. I have tried every different way to try to make it work right. There are other companies out there so you have choices. No one will answer the phone unless you check that you are from the court.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Where do I begin. This company cares zero for you as a customer, human, or otherwise. I have been lied to, hung up on, and overcharged during a deadly global pandemic. I have been told to ‘not use hand sanitizer’, As it will set off the device, putting not only my health at risk, but also those in my community, my elders who I love, and basically anyone I come into contact with. Is this even legal??? I had been given an old broken device from another car, which was randomly giving violations, honking, and sucking my car battery dry. The electric in my vehicle was always going haywire, sometimes working, sometimes not. This is VERY dangerous. Drinking and driving is dangerous, but I only did that once. Smartstart as a company has forced me to drive dangerously, risk the health of my loved ones daily for ten months.

This is the email I finally received today: “Your lockout from Oct 22nd will not be refunded as the device was not malfunctioning. Introducing a substance like hand sanitizer that is almost pure alcohol into a unit that is designed to detect alcohol is not a device malfunction. This is a direct user error and the only individual that can keep this from happening is you. When a lockout occurs from an error such as this the fees will be due.”

I have not used hand sanitizer in my vehicle since March 15! I have clearly stated this. My mechanic told me the equipment was faulty, AND SWITCHED IT OUT! We are being lied to and treated poorly. This company is violating our god given right to protect ourselves and others during a pandemic. DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

The people on the phone are very rude. The client portal app is a joke, you can’t even put your info into it. This place is a money funnel, they are pretty much allowed to wantonly rip people off, and they know it. If you are allowed to pick your own ignition interlock provider, for god sake do NOT use this outfit. Don’t ever call, the only human you’ll ever get is one that will take money. Dealing with outfits like this is more than enough to make one never drink and drive ever again. AVOID.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I cannot really add to the reviews that precede mine. I agree with all of them. The device, the service, the company, and the use of this failed unit is deplorable. There is nothing consistent with any of these. The device must have been programmed by 1st grader. It gives conflicting and nonsensical errors, e.g. "blow longer" as soon as I start blowing. I may have found a trick to "resetting" the device.

I was recently stuck in "temp viol". My installer had no idea what this code meant, nor did Smart Start. One of Smart's technicians spent an hour trying to void it and got nowhere. Finally, he told me to disconnect the negative battery cable for no more than 1 minute. It worked! I've done that 2 more times since and had no problems with the device. It seems to work like pulling the plug on your computer when it freezes. It's like a reboot. I have two more months to deal with this POS. I'll say one thing in its favor, I'll never drink and drive again knowing what I have to deal with.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Smart Start new and improved device is unusable for me! I've contacted the 800 number at least five times about it and asked to have my old device put back on. The thing says blow longer even while I'm still blowing in it! I'm having it removed and selling my car!!!! Their customer service is HORRIBLE! They LIED to me saying they contacted one of their service centers and the service center had a couple in stock and could put the old system in. I drive to the service center and they DIDN'T HAVE ANY, nor were they contacted!!!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Terrible experience... They make this company mandatory in Canada to deal with and everyone at Smart Start knows it so they take advantage of everyone. My device requires me to blow when I turn my vehicle off and go in a store. I’ll come back and catch the device counting down from 10 minutes asking for a rolling retest... and most of the time I’m not so lucky. 60 bucks a pop and 5 days to make your appointment which is a 3 hr drive for me. This happens several times a month. Within 4 months the lady said my account is now at 1400 dollars paid from violations not including the 500 dollar install. All fingers are pointed at me... keep paying if you want to drive even if you're being scammed.

I have gotten violations just sitting in my vehicle charging my phone. Now they are requesting a breath to use the battery source??? Apparently, you cannot sit in your vehicle and turn your accessory power onto the vehicle without providing a test... It took until today for someone in customer service to tell me If you leave your key forward for 10 min without blowing it will automatically give a violation. News to my ears... They are so back and forth it makes me sick. Everything about this company makes me sick... to the managers, customer service and the people installing them are all liars.

If you turn your vehicle off/ vehicle not running and then turn your key forward to do up a window or put your seat back the device won’t recognize you shut your vehicle off.... nothing but a Scam! I got videos of the device doing some crazy stuff but no one even cares to look at it. They tell you to take a screenshot. Unreal. Try any way possible not to deal with company. I have 9 months left out of a year and I’ve already paid them 2000 dollars Total and booked in 5 days with another violation. Tell me I’m not the only one.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I don't know where to begin with this company, Several problems at installation? Customer service? The businesses they use to represent them for equipment install? Let's start first with my latest complain, how they will basically steal your money. I have the unit for 3 months now they put the cord across the top of the steering wheel where it was contently ribbing and actually wore a hole thru the cable but the thing that got me was it ran down the side of the ignition switch. Well one time when car was shut off the switch didn't go all the way to the off position causing a false alert that the car was left on by making horn go off and lights flash. I went back into the garage and found this to be the problem.

I immediately called Smart Start and after 40 min finally talked to someone who said, "You won't be charged if you go to the web page and file a dispute." WRONG. They never got back to me so after 6 weeks I called again. After another 45 min wait and talking to a rude young woman who talked in circles, she told me that her supervisor said it stands and they are keeping my money. This is what she told me after first telling me to file a complaint again which now I can see would have been a waste of time.

I have read complaint after complaint about this company but I thought naaa not me. I just hope someone who is considering using this service to go somewhere else, anywhere else, because apparently they are making enough money off charging people for false alerts and blaming their lack of professionalism on other people. They don't have to care about customer service. More to follow...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I’ve had a Smart Start installed now for 18 months. I’m an air conditioning installer/refrigeration mechanic and average at least one - two if not three unscheduled services a month due to the contaminates on my clothing or on my hands. Eg refrigerants, pvc glue, hand sanitiser or refuelling my vehicle with the window down and allowing fumes to enter my vehicle. Obviously none of these mean that I’ve consumed alcohol and still receive Breaches. I’ll try and keep this brief and only describe three unscheduled services....

#1 Left home .000 drove for less than 10 minutes and arrived at my client's address. Within the first five minutes of driving you have your first random test which means the camera is still on so they can see your movements, again .000. Started to unpack my tools And then got asked by client if I could move my car So they could do a school run but was unable to start my vehicle due to a high reading and got locked out for half an hour. After the lockout period a .000 reading was recorded. Unfortunately those kids got to school late that day.

#2 Due to Covid 19 the use of hand sanitiser Or any type of hand wipes Sets it off. Depending on what you have for lunch Vietnamese salad roll with chilli and soy sauce any sort of Chinese or Thai cuisine, most fruits Will cause a breach with you being locked out.

#3 The one that upsets me the most. Batemans Bay and surrounding areas recently experienced devastating bushfires which meant most of us had to evacuate. After queueing up for over a kilometre to get fuel And arriving in your only opened service station in town which was very chaotic and very crowded at the time and all 24 pumps going at one time the atmosphere was full of fumes which put my car again in lockdown mode. Having to get help to push my vehicle off the premises which was very distressing and upsetting at the time. Due to the bushfires and the holiday period my local service centre was closed, which meant my only means of transport severely Restricted.

When I rang Smart Start they offered me a code at my cost but still needed to have an unscheduled service done within a time frame which was impossible... They once again displayed No common decency, A Lack of compassion or understanding of the situation and blamed me for the situation I was in. There was no concern regarding my safety at the time.

In all three circumstances there has never been any alcohol consumed

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Terrible and RUDE customer service!! Had the device in my car TWO months longer than court ordered because SmartStart would not process the letter from my court stating it should be removed on certain date. Repeatedly sent emails trying to communicate and received nothing in return. Was supposed to get out on July 11 and finally got it out SEPT 16. - Another car at the shop where I was FINALLY getting it removed at had been sitting there for OVER a week because SmartStart would not send them the code to fix it. DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE!!!!

Smart Start Company Information