1.2/5 (493 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Smart Start

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Smart Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I am moving to state where my current provider does not serve. Booked an appointment with Smart Start, it was never completed so the shop did not have the right equipment. I have 72 hours for a new install or there would be an extension. I had to scramble to find another company, just added stress to my life. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

This company is horrible. All a scam. Can never get a hold of anyone. Device will lock you out for no reason. And then they want to charge you for it. Lost a great job because I was in another state working got locked out over weekend. Could not get a hold of anyone. Been sitting here on a Monday and still 2 hours later still can’t get a hold of anyone!

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Horrible company, not trustworthy. It is a scam. I have had nothing but trouble. I can not believe that the court system & DMV allow this to go on. I have been ready for my Analyser to be removed for 3 months now. You can not get a hold of anyone. Hang ups constantly, never speaking to a person that knows what's going on. Have not seen any of my charges reimbursed. In the thousand dollar area. Please do not use Smart Start. Will give you Medical Symptoms, Stress & Anxiety. Will make you feel trapped.

Original review: June 30, 2022

They are none too happy to get you signed up but then they treat you horribly. Never return calls or emails. They just want to text with you then hide behind their phone. If you call them out for lying they stop responding. Worst of all once you have approval to have your device removed they disappear continuing to stall the process so you have to keep paying them. Expect to pay a additional 1-2 months of service than you have to. How cold hearted when they know their customers already have huge financial issues with all the other expenses.

Original review: June 17, 2022

First of all. They will answer you immediately upon signing up. Once you are a client of theirs, GOOD LUCK getting them on the phone when their device fails. I have three instances: 1st - was software froze the device and the only way to get this situated was let the battery die. But guess what, YOU ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE STILL. 2nd Issue - Was the same as the 1st. 3rd Issue - I made a payment within my count-down hours and hours prior to my lockout. Guess what? It locked me out and here is why I have decided to write a review on every single site I can cause this is completely UNACCEPTABLE. Especially when you are messing with people's lives and potential violations to their parole officers. Not only did I make a payment hours before the lockout.

Upon calling at their customer service for HELP as this should be a priority to them as it is not allowing their client to blow within their window that could potentially cause errors. I called them at 6pm, put on hold for 30 minutes to finally get a hold of someone. Only to put me on hold again for Service. Another 30 minutes. 7pm comes around, their system hung up on me during my wait-time. Now they’re stating their offices are closed. I continue to call another line for service. Been on hold since then.

Here we are an hour and half into the phones call. With ABSOLUTE NO HELP and my time to blow before 8pm. Now they will put you on hold for a MINIMUM of 45 minutes. How the hell do you expect them to get their resolution resolved and of all three issues I have had to call in. A MINIMUM of one hour wait time. Sometime 2-hours and good luck getting it resolved same day. Now you find yourself worried sick to your stomach hoping your parole office will understand cause now not only will you miss one blow, you will miss the evening blow and the next morning's blow. Guess what? If they send you to a service center. YOU HAVE TO PAY! But I made my payment hours before my lockout. DO NOT GIVE THESE GUYS YOUR BUSINESS. You will find yourself with anxiety to the roof, the longest wait times EVER. They should not be in business with those wait times.,

Original review: June 13, 2022

No phone call back nothing?!?! It’s been a month?!?? I called to reschedule the appt as we are stuck in BC and I called at 842 am (BC time) and the appt was at 9:15 am. Your client care (called back at 0910 (BC) time and wants to charge me a cancelation fee. You ** kidding me!!! After last place told me about you guys being a money grab I'm actually starting to believe it because the box was you guys' fault that we kept having to pay to get it recalibrated because. Wasn’t installed properly installed and then this 20 min shy of 24 hr Alberta time and we get no refund back from all the money we spent in past that it wasn’t our fault and what about the extra few months added on because of it?!?! Bunch of money grab!!!

Like one of your employee said to me “Well we all need to get paid somehow“ and you guys do that kind of ** so you keep money flowing!!! What kind of customer service are you???? ** ones clearly. We have spent almost over 1000 since January 2022. Anyways I want a call back thanks!! He no longer drinks but your machine has costed us enough and every time it screwed up since January we got few months added on!!! Wtf eh anyways hope to talk to you soon as I am not very impressed and hoping that you can maybe agree that you need better customer service skills!! Thanks.

This was the last complaint I wrote over a month ago. I keep getting told a manager will call but nothing??!? Again where is your customer service skills. People are force to have this program but clearly you guys are all about the money not the success passing rate!!!! Just a lil reminder no names edit some changes but it’s like the one I send over a month. Just wanted to remind you that you still haven’t called.

"He got a lock out violation. When he was driving to BC for work 2 week prior and blew a hernia while blowing into your machine while driving kept saying, "Blow harder, blow harder…. Blow harder!!" He blew a hernia!! Yea so now he might be needing surgery. He was running out of unlock codes so the machine has been acting up non stop…. With mouth closer…breath longer.... breath harder.... and He works 6 days on, 1 off and his day off is on Sunday and he is 2 hrs north of Prince George. And he was running out of time and couldn’t take the time off work to go get it recalibrated.

I myself (girlfriend) took my personal car and took time off work to drive from Devon Alberta to Fraser lake BC to get car done for him while he was at work.... so this was an expensive recalibrate!!! So once I got an appt in Prince George for May 18/2022 at 12. So I drove to Prince George 2hr drive to appt from Fraser lake.... once I got to andre electronics I was already kinda on edge and complaining that his wiring needs fixing and it’s always ** up and costing us an arm and a leg. He told me that Smart Start has it set that was because everyone needs a pay check and that you guys were a money grab!!!

So if you check this past few months!! We have spent a lot of money towards this damn box and every time there is a lock a month gets added on so we have to spend more money towards this blow box.... so when this staff told me that I was like wtf!! was not impressed as I spent 12 hrs to drive to location where he was working and then 2 hrs to Andre electronics the next day after booking appt and then to bring the car back to Fraser lake and the next day drive back to Devon Alberta....

Violation lock came back on at 1830h the same day May 18th 2022. I myself was there and witnessed it. I got it fixed earlier on that day anyways!! I'm pissed I called smart start, told them what the staff at Andre electronics said to me about money grab and how everyone needs a paycheck!! So anyways not impressed by the service I receive there!!! When I mention to the staff at Andre electronics that there was wiring issue or something going on!! He also told me (girlfriend) we would have to book another apt to get it fixed.... and there about a month to get in!!

Isn’t his job to make sure the box is working and that we aren’t stranded because we keep getting violation lock. I paid 162 that day and and again the violation lock on same day!! So guess what now!!! Thank god dallas got weekend off but was the long week end most places were closed! So we drove down together (change of plans again because this box is causing us nothing headaches) so now Dallas had to take the day off Tuesday to get car in white court while suppose to be in BC Fraser lake for work!! Again!!! Losing money!!! So lost day pay again!! He has had this box for almost 7 years and been a lot of money wasted because it’s the equipment that keeps screwing up.

So please take a look at his file. Would be greatly appreciated if you took the time to maybe speak with alberta transportation and mention that it’s the equipment. Yes there was two battery dead because car was in shop but to be honest now it just turns off and on while driving!! So it has a mind of its own!! So we can be stranded places anywhere and anytime!!! How safe is that when my children are with us.

The Edmonton south location has changed the head within the past month… we have had nothing but problem for past few months…. Since we got told that box would be out on June 20th 2022. And this day we got told was on April 21/2022 at the south side location in Edmonton!! I write everything down so I ask the staff at Andre electronics!! Do they do things so you can never get off this blow box program and we have to keep paying and paying??? He said that comment I was speechless!!! Furious.

If Andre electronics would of fixed the issue with the box. Wiring It wouldn’t of had costed us as much as it already did by having me drive there!!! Or even Edmonton south side location when we mentioned it and gave us issues they just gave us new head and cord and along the way we go. But again violation lock. Every time this box screws up it’s costing us a lot of money!! So try out to find out what the problem is such as new head cords?!?!? That should be on you guys' dime if receive violation lock!! Because it’s your product malfunctioning not us!!

But the lady that I have been dealing with in the evenings on the telephone has been really wonderful and understanding with our situation.... Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am frustrated and disappointed that this box is costing us way too much as He no longer drinks anymore. Please feel free to call me."

Original review: May 16, 2022

Smart Start is the worst company, of any type, to work with. Device worked 50% of time. I had to replace unit 3 times. Closest Service center was 30 miles away. I had to have vehicle towed to service center twice at my expense although the reason for towing was their fault. Calling main company is a nightmare. Hold times are up to 90 minutes. Once I was on hold for 90 minutes and call was terminated. Can take up to ten (10) prompts before speaking with human being. I am very hard of hearing and would miss "blows" resulting in violations. All they could do was install flashing light which was difficult to see and I had to take my eyes off road to see it. I requested a vibrating device that I could place in my lap but was told they did not offer that feature.

The service center was very nice and did the best they could but my real complaints are about the call center. Many were poorly trained, and usually had to wait for a supervisor to resolve my issue. The expense was horrendous, commute time long, and they were constantly changing policy. For example: when I first started the service center was open weekends making it easier for us working individuals. Then poof! No more weekend access without prior warning. I can't leave enough negative feedback for this company. I would not recommend them to anyone and for that reason I am leaving 1 star. The only employee that stands out for excellent performance is Jessica. She was great at customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2022

The guy who did my installation and does my monthly maintenance is the rudest person I’ve ever dealt with. He actually yelled at me for paying online instead of paying at the shop one month. He never smiles, he acts like he’s better than you, and he’s always right, or he thinks he is. I’ve been dealing with this for over a year and decided after I was locked out of my car at the airport in Atlanta from being gone two weeks, I was switching companies. Well so I thought. I received permission to have the device taken out 3 weeks ago and nothing. I even called last week and the lady told me there was no record of the approval letter written from the state.

Now, I’ve got to drive an hour to see this very rude and very hard to be around shop technician. My advice… stay away!!! Smart Start thinks they are superior to even the law, and you almost have to get the law involved just to have the device removed. Poor customer service, customer relations, poor prices, poor policies, poor device (the humming is **), overall the worst experience I’ve had in years!

Original review: April 2, 2022

Can't imagine how this company stays in business. Every single interaction with these people has been a disaster, and their only response is...no response. They installed a defective device on my stepdaughter's vehicle that resulted in false reports to the DMV and an unwarranted extension of the fine period - and a 50% increase in the fees Smart Start collected. When the compliance period was complete, they failed to file the paperwork with the DMV, despite sending us an email saying they did. There is no ability to escalate a discussion to a supervisor, and attempts to file a complaint are ignored. Absolutely THE WORST business I've ever had the displeasure to deal with.

Original review: March 31, 2022

The worst company.. do not consider them. I’ve had the device in my car for only 3 weeks and have had nothing but problems which have cost me more money. Their systems is old and outdated and does not work most of the time. When It fails they make you tow your car at your expense and then make you pay to fix It. So it’s not affordable. Their reps are Rude and unhelpful. Save yourself a big headache and go to another company. Better to pay a little more and not get stuck with hidden fees because of defective equipment.

Smart Start Company Information