Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Smart Start Reviews

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I see a lot of the other complaints, remember it's your own fault you are in this position. That being said, I had very few problems in 9 months, I was instructed to buy a can of air and spray into the back of the device prior to leaving the house and after I started doing that it very rarely malfunctioned, and very rarely did not read a blow. I never received fails, or warnings because I did not try and drink and operate this device. It never once drained my car battery. Loud music does not effect the blow as I've read in some complaints, nor does food, these will not cause a failed test. I was never locked out. Just follow the rules, don't skip rolling tests and get through the process. You aren't fooling anyone trying to say it failed you for no reason. Nine months and had no problems at all. If you want to drink, take an Uber.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Hello my name is Jeff **, I have had this product for 3 years and I was a month away from being allowed to drive normally. Two weeks from my four months without violations requirement being met the unit started saying I was violating, and not just after the initial blows I had passed a long the second blow 6 minutes after I was 30-40 minutes into my drive to work and stopped And a gas station got a black coffee prompted by the car to blow I did and then once again I passed then the 6 minutes comes up and I blow and it’s says violation then immediately gives me a lock out and timer. I was very upset I wrote Into an incident report. They say takes 3-6 business days for responses. I finally get a response, in the response they don’t do anything or verify that they acknowledge the incident instead after calling they told me to send the email, the email then tells me to call Service Techs. So I do.

After being on hold for 20 minutes (no exaggeration) they answer the phone. They then explain to me information I have already been told about how to avoid violations. I tell them the machine is faulty. Something is wrong. They don’t believe. They tell me that I miss a blow and that’s not what happened so then they redirect to what they call “admin department.” I talk to the admin. They tell me they have no evidence of my incident report. I then getting frustrated ask to speak to management. The employee going by “Z” tells me they don’t communicate with management or even have a number to speak with a supervisor. “So the employees don’t even have to talk to management?” I say. “There is no way for us to contact them at all.” They tell me. “So what can I do to resolve this?” I ask.

They said, “There’s nothing I can or anyone else can do for you sir, I can redirect you to the service department for training on the device,” and so on in this one order I was redirect or sent to three different departments l, after multiple trips to their actually Smart locations. This device is made to malfunction and the customer service is a joke and it’s a loop like someone mentioned earlier.

And so I am going to be contacting an attorney and fight to see if I can get my reimbursement and something to make it so this problem goes away and if there are other people out there who would like to be informed or part of this potential lawsuit please send me an email and description of your experience and I’ll see what we can do about a potential class action law suit.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

The way you are directed to their subpar website and then their website submission form is broken and you cannot type in your date of birth. How do they expect to hear from anyone? (unreal) Receiving improper customer support for the price is NOT ACCEPTABLE. As a mechanic/customer DO NOT USE Smart Start inc. They don't even know when you're supposed to get your IID removed. This company is completely unorganized from top to bottom. Someone pls do something about this.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Have had this device for 3 weeks have a excessive violation lockout. You have to take me for my word. I have not had any alcohol in 3 months. Need to blow in device 3 to 6 times before it will analyze. Keeps saying Blow Longer to people don't have this much breath. Frank **. Connecticut

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Called. Was lied to from the start about this device. Was told it's the best on the market, you don't have to hum while you blow. Within 2 minutes of leaving the Spokane Valley WA. shop it was throwing error code. Called the shop. Said, "Bring it in tomorrow. We close in 20 minutes." I was stuck driving down the interstate with my horn honking for about 5 miles. Finally was able to pull over. Tried a few things their techs on the phone said. After a period of time my Tahoe finally started. Was only able to use my rig 1 time since installing. It has been broke down no juice at all. Charged battery. Now the unit has locked out. Basically my Tahoe has been kidnapped by this company. I can not take the time off work again to get this fixed. Or do I have the money to pay a tow truck and a shop to fix it. All my money went in to installing this device just to be ripped off and then belittled by the service reps on the phone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smart Start?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Crap. You're paying to stay in a loop. Equipment always malfunction. Even the service center techs talk negative about how out of date the equipment is at always have problems when calibrations services are needed. And to top it off even after I read all the bad reviews about ohs company I decided to choose them because they had a local service center. 6 months in they called me saying my local service shop is not able to service my vehicle due to a license issue and want me to drive over an hour away at my cost. That’s not what I signed up for. And with all their corporate thought emphasizing... The company doesn’t care.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I have had this interlock system in my car for 4 months. All was well until now!! I had a VIOLCK show up....with NO VIOLATIONS!!! I paid the $150 fee.... 4 DAYS LATER SHOWING VIOLCK AGAIN!!!! I have had ZERO VIOLATIONS and when I call they say “In the state of Pennsylvania we cannot discuss violations unless you call PENNDOT!” THEY ARE CROOKS!!! Probably in cahoots with the state!!!!! I will for sure not let this go!!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Interlock/ Smart Start what a joke. The absolute worst machine/technology ever invented for the purpose of functioning. Machine does not function at all like it's intended. Complete junk. Customer service employees, device installer, everyone from top to bottom in the company are worthless. I've had in 1 week everything from recalls to viol lock to random horn going off to no screen. Car won't start. Get my car towed to shop on your own dollar for absolutely no reason. Never failed. Nothing of my causing. That's just half the problem. Junk equipment. Too disorganized scheduling to waiting around the shop for hours because 1 man is trying to fix 6 cars at once. This place is ran poorly from top to bottom. I cannot say 1 good thing about this company. What a joke.

Wouldn't recommend Smart Start. You better off taking the suspension because you're gonna go through hell with these people . Constant problems with machine to being stranded on the side of the road because of faulty equipment/ improper installing. How this is legal blows my mind. Seriously. A class action lawsuit will happen to this company 1 day and I see a lot of people getting what they deserve. The hell you go through just to have this thing is unbelievable. Words can't describe this **....

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Device gave me plenty of false positives. Device would lock out and charge me 70 dollars to get the lock out cleared plus it notifies the DMV. This device should work properly if they are going to hold you accountable. I've been on hold and sent multiple emails to the company and still can't get a response. Can't believe this is legal.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Smart Start installed my machine incorrectly, because of the incorrect installation which resulted in the device not recognizing that the car was turned off and would continue to ask for rolling retests despite being turned off. I noticed this right away as the installation tech told me to wait until I see the restart countdown begin before leaving my vehicle. As I did not see it, I called Smart Start immediately and made them aware of the problem. They walked me through several steps to try to fix the problem, including disconnecting and then reconnecting the head unit. After attempting to troubleshoot the issue over the phone and it failing they scheduled a re-installation appointment to fix the issue.

While I was on the phone with the tech he mentioned that he thought they had connected the device to the remote start wire instead of the installation wire. While the device was working incorrectly I had received several violation as it would ask for rolling retests while the car was turned off and no one was in it. I had made mention of the recorded violations and asked if Smart Start would relay the information that they mistake with the installation when sending the info over, including the violations to the state. They said that the state had access to the file and could see the notes. Well lo and behold, they did not inform the state of their mistake and the state revoked my driver's license.

The only course of action I had was to hire an attorney and repeal the revocation and provide proof of their mistake. So, I called Smart Start and asked them to provide me with the service records so I can forward them to the state as proof of Smart Start's mistake. They refused to do this even though they read the record to me on the phone and it was the exact information I needed. Aside from that getting a hold of a competent employee is like rolling the dice, you will lose almost all of the time. The only access they give you a manager is a voicemail of which I have made several calls to and the call was never returned.

The only course of action I can see that might retrieve a result is to sue them for gross incompetence and plead my case to the judge and hope they see the same disgusting injustices that I have experienced from this company. This is the worst service I have received from any company, not limited to these circumstances. Why is it you are always treated the worst by companies when you have no other choice... I thought Monopolies were illegal, I guess not if they work with the state. If you have another option I can only assume they will be much much better than Smart Start. Save yourself the trouble and choose their competition, there is no way they can be worse than Smart Start.

Smart Start Company Information