3.8/5 (579 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Driving in clover SC and got a tire warning, pulled into pep boys and they immediately took care of it, really friendly and efficient staff, absolutely no complaints, would definitely be back whenever there's a need.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I went in thinking that at the least I needed a tire repaired, or at worst that I needed to buy a new tire (two-because I was taught to always replace two tires at a time). The Service Manager, Brian M. was totally honest and informed me that all I needed was air in all of my tires.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

The day before Christmas ever and Adam was there to helped me! He was very professional and change both my brake lights and he filled the tire tire pressure! I will be returning anytime I need anything done to with my car. Thanks Adam.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Store Manager Mike told me he was shorthand and he would try to keep my appointment. 2hrs later Hayden stopped what he was doing and exchanged my tire. Corporate please recognize your two employees with a bonus and or paid time off for their expertise and kindness. Daniela **.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I had Pep Boys do a complete inspection. They told me I needed to replace 6 Coils and 6 Spark Plugs. I had that done and it was about $1,000.00. The check engine light went on again. I went back to Pep Boys. They stated now it was the Turbo Body after another inspection. I cleaned Turbo Body and the check engine light cleared. The original issue with cylinder 1 misfire check engine light went back on. I went back again because the original issue came back on with cylinder 1 misfire. They did another inspection and they stated it was a bad spark plug that they put in that was brand new that you can see part of it was melted but still on warranty.

About a month later the car broke down on 120 hwy and you can see smoke. At that point I was frustrated with Pep Boys and decided to call a mobile mechanic. The mobile mechanic informed me it was the coil that burnt and cracked the black thing that sits on top of the coil. He said because of the bad coil this can have electrical short and damage to the engine. He told me to take a lot of pictures before taking it back to Pep Boys. Stated that if they don't take care of it he would take them to small claims. I took it back to Pep Boys. Told them what the mobile mechanic said. It was a bad coil that started the crack the black piece that sits inside the coil that caused it to burn and smoke and may have a short or worse. They called and stated that it was the negative battery cable and the battery and it would be about $400.00 for both parts. I told them I wanted someone who knows what they are doing to check the car. They called me back and said it was the engine that is bad. What the!!!!

I asked for details what they meant by that. The Following day I called and talked to the Office Manager who was on vacation. Stated that she would find out. The next day she told me Dave the District Manager sent his Super technician to inspect the car and he told her the cause of engine failure was because of a tune up that caused the engine to fail. I had an inspection 3 times and they missed all three times. Sara (sp) the office Manager stated that wasn't the issue 5 months ago. This is recent? Again what the!!!! 3 Inspections still bad coils and still under warranty and stated they replaced oils and spark plugs because it was still under warranty but now have a bad engine.

Pep Boys use to be good, Not anymore. If I could give a negative number I would. Do not use them. I am planning to take them to small claims. I am not knowledgeable or mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but this is not fair. I will not ever use them again. Date of experience: August 31, 2022.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

In May of this year, I purchased a new battery for my 2014 Buick encore, In July I went out of town so the car sat for 5 days and would not start when I returned. I jumped it and took it back to Pep Boys at 6900 Highway 6 north in Houston where I purchased it. They checked the battery and told me it was good and maybe I had left a light which I am sure that was not the case but fine. Again, in August I went out of town so the car sat for 5 days and when I returned it would not start, I took it to Pep Boys and again they said the battery was good. I took it back the next day to have a diagnostic service done per their suggestion to see what is draining the battery, after the diagnostic service was done, they said nothing was wrong with the car and the battery was good. If there is nothing wrong with the car then it must be that the battery will not hold a charge. Any car should be able to sit at least a month and still start if it has a good battery.

The manager said he cannot replace the battery because the computer says it is good and if he replaces it that would be warranty fraud, which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The fraud is on the part of Pep Boys because when they sold me the battery, they said it has a warranty which I feel they will not honor. Their own mechanic checked the car and said nothing is wrong with it. I think it is obvious the battery has a defect and will not hold a charge if it sits.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I went to get my tire changed and when they finish with my car all my rim were damaged, even a tire lug was damaged and was left loose. I went back to the store and tried to speak to the manager James **. Regarding this, he told me he couldn’t do anything because it was curve rash. I told him my car wasn’t like that when I brought it in. And I want to see the video camera when they change my tire. They refused. Until now they ignore me. They just took my money.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I got money back in a reward card for services that I had at the store. It took a long time to get it. When I wanted to use the card after a long time, card has been expired. I called Pep Boys to reinstate funds, put in a new card but they said funds have also been expired. What a rip off. Not good business to follow.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Never stayed for service. Walked in and waiting 10 minutes while a customer checked out. That's no problem. As he was finishing the phone rings. Instead of putting that person on hold he continues to assist the person on the phone. You know - I had an appointment, drove to the store. I'm standing right there in front of you in your store but let's assist the person who just called and make me wait again. Well I walked out and cancelled the appointment. I guess that's the only recourse consumer have because if you complain then you get even worse service. If that's how you treat a new customer I don't want to do business with you. I'll go elsewhere - thanks.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Not a faithful auto repair shop. Stay away from Pep Boys. I have been robbed twice. I gave them a second chance and they tried to charge me Diagnostics tests. Yeah 2 tests. $231 for just tests. Across a street, they charged me $475 and replaced the water pump.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information