Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.44/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Pep Boys Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

The manager has a good attitude. He is understandable and everyone in there are nice and they treat you right. Everything is good. I like how they fix my car and how it look now. They have make my car better and I love it.

Original review: June 3, 2019

It was late in the day & very very hot outside. I called Motley who answered the phone & explained that my son was having engine problems with his BMW. He needed the car for work so time was of the essence. David the manager along with Motley kept me informed every step of the way assuring me that the car would be complete on time & running like a purring kitten. They diagnosed the problems & replaced all that was needed to make the car run great. My son was so happy & I had experienced another Pep Boys example of great customer service. I had my Lincoln worked on there as well with the same result.

In addition, my daughter had a full brake system rebuild that week in Piedmont Georgia in the Pep Boys Store. Joseph took great care of my daughter's car & treated me will all the respect I could ever ask for. I have had only wonderful experiences with both shops. I hope the head managers will pass these comments on to those who serve them so well as employees & not owners. Bravo to you Motley & David & Joseph for showing me that 'Old World Courtesy' still exists.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Ryan our service advisor was great. We got an oil change and brakes done today and he guided us throughout the whole process. Ryan was very professional, respectable, and knowledgeable. I need new tires soon so Ryan took time and went over what I will need and how much.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I broke down on I75 near Florence KY on Christmas Eve. This crew went above and beyond to help me out and get me back on the road to continue to travel the additional 3 hours to get home. Not only did they have the parts but installed them in a timely manner and then discounted the labor because it was a holiday. This was store #0259 and I would highly recommend them to anyone that needs repairs.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I'll not give the confidential specifics of my recent experience except to say that I had an unexpected outcome that was great. I had quit using this location for about two or three years because of poor service and bad management. Then, in their wisdom, Pep Boys transferred an experienced and highly effective Manager from another store to this location. Thomas, unlike other Service Managers is, in my opinion, a true Manager with an eye on customer satisfaction. I believe, that while he stills has problems to resolve, he knows how to get it done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Very Bad Experience At Pep Boys. Buyers Beware!!! Here are my problems with Pep Boys.

POOR, SLOPPY WORK. Examples-

1) I had tires replaced several years ago. They did not fasten the spare correctly on the bottom of the vehicle where it is stored. It was actually very dangerous as the spare was dangling. Could have fallen off and damage my vehicle/other vehicles, cause an accident, or even injure/kill someone.
2) I had my brakes replaced and rotors resurfaced here. When braking, the car would shake from side to side. They did not resurface the rotors correctly.
3) They left grease smudges on the inside of the vehicle, by the door handle and on the inside of the door.

4) They stripped a lug nut during tire replacement (see photograph). I was watching them when it happened. This occurred because they were so short staffed. A salesman was putting on the tires. He was not qualified to do so and should not be working on the vehicles.

POOR TIME ESTIMATION

1) I have come before for oil change and tire rotation WITH an appointment. It took over 3 hours.

2) I came for tire replacement and alignment, again WITH APPOINTMENT. Came at 12:00pm. They told me it would take 3 hours. They finished at 9:30 pm.... AND THEY DIDN'T DO ALIGNMENT. So basically it took 9.5 hours to change tires (and stripped the lug nut in the process).

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. They would have different stories or excuses of why this was occurring in their store, but depending on who you talk to in the store, they would have a different story to tell. JUST TELL THE TRUTH. Never, ever going back. I highly advise you to avoid this amateur circus at all costs!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

This is the worst costumer service I have ever encountered. Went for their Black Friday sale for new tires, was told it would be done in 2 hours, it took 4. My alignment was never done or my inspection! Had my husband go back the next day, because he told me the car didn’t feel right. The guy said the tire was never fully tighten!! Then the guy tried to charge me again for my inspection when I already paid for it the day before! He just stared at my husband and myself with nothing to say for himself. Absolute worse customer service, explanations, and excuses. DONT GO THERE!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Rude and unprofessional employees and managers who take over 3 hrs to complete a tire change with a scheduled appointment, then return the car, keys, and paperwork to the customer, wish them a good day, but call afterwards and threaten their customers due to the shops negligence and ignorance. I went with my girlfriend who scheduled and paid for her appointment online and after being allowed to leave, was informed she needed to come back to pay (again) even though she explained numerous times she already paid online and no one at the desk or cash register advised the invoice wasn't paid prior to allowing her to leave.

She had to drive all the way back (we made it home by the time they called) for them to charge her a second time and she was threatened by a manager (Robert **) who claimed he'd call the police and say the tires were stolen if she didn't return. Extremely unprofessional and unbelievable! What kind of manager are you? The appropriate thing to do would be to report the unpaid invoice to Collections if and only if they did not have a card on file for her for the transaction, which they did have one on file. Her credit info was already within their systems. A smart individual would've checked to see if the invoice was paid before giving her the keys and if the online appt only held an authorization on the card, then they should've submitted/captured and settled the authorization it held which would've charged the credit card without making her return since the order initially took place online.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Complaint Details. My rims were destroyed by Pep Boys installing tires on my 2000 Yukon. They thought I would just leave after paying. But I observed the tech hitting my passenger rear wheel with a hammer. It was finished. I paid, went out to my vehicle and looked at the wheel that was being hit with hammer. I immediately saw a bunch of wheel weights on the outside of my aluminum wheel then noticed huge gouging on lip of wheel. Looked at all 4 corners and saw same marks gouging chips etc and wheel weights also on outside of wheels. I had not washed my Yukon in over 6 months. The damage that was done is brand new and obviously were all fresh pictures taken by myself at Pep Boys.

I was told they didn’t do it and the person who write the service ticket told me he watched the installation himself. He is a liar. I watched myself, stood outside watching them finish and he was helping several other customers put air in their tires and helping others. I was given a business card for me to contact manager. I reached out to Sarah ** 2 times since then and have received no correspondence back from her or anyone from Pep Boys to date.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Pep Boys. 1510 East Franklin Street Chapel Hill, NC 27514. I dropped my car off at 2:45pm at Pep Boys in CHAPEL HILL On 10/28/2019 was told my car would be ready in an hour up to two hours. I went back at 4:30. Car still not done, they still haven't started on it. Most of everybody just stands around talking. Now it's past 6:00 and still haven't heard anything. Not a good place to go get inspection.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information