1.43/5
Based on 71 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

715 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

Every time I call for information regarding service no one knows nothing. Who in the hell is training these people? The guy didn't know what size tires that I was looking for. No one knows anything at the one in Los Angeles on Crenshaw near Rodeo. Stay away. You might get the wrong part. Ask to speak to a manager. They don't know what the hell going on either. I'll stay with AutoZone.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Very impressed with the quality of work. Mr. ** is awesome, great, knowledgeable and care. There were no surprising extra costs as other shops do. He took care of all of my car problems. I will be using this service again. He was very professional and courteous. Clearly he know what he's doing and is a very capable mechanic. I felt very comfortable having him work on my car and we chatted about quite a few things automobile related. Clearly, he's passionate and love helping people like me and my wife who don't know nothing about car repair. Now my car is on good hand all my worries is gone. Please visit this location (store #0436) ask for him and see for yourself. Thank you Mr. **. You rock.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 12, 2018

I brought my car in on a Sunday afternoon, knowing EXACTLY what was leaking and from where. Gave them specific instructions about it, and stressed that I needed the car back by end of day Monday. I was assured it would be one of the first cars worked on in the morning. I read through the work order to make sure the information was clear, which it was.

Monday night just before closing, I'm told on the phone that they couldn't find the leak off. Told them again which fluid was leaking, and from where. They promised it would be the first car worked on Tuesday morning. Repeat this same process Tuesday night. Wednesday at 2 pm I went there, to be told that they would pull my car in next. This is now 3 days I'm without a car for a simple fluid leak. I took my car somewhere else, and will NOT be back.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Went for oil change. They didn't add single drop of oil in my car. My car engine could seized. Worst and horrible experience. Never expected this from Pep Boys. Eventually they agreed about oil fraud and after bunch of calls refunded my money but my car engine was on risk. Be aware from Pep Boys.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Sunday night. 07 Nissan Titan was leaking fluid near back tire. Pulled over at hotel as I was traveling thru town- arrived Monday at Pep Boys in Irondale, AL (ONLY REPAIR SHOP). Was told need new rear wheel bearing so agreed to do work and told them was traveling. After several hours mechanic opened up rear end and drained fluid, at this point he told us we probably needed a new rear end. He said he would change the bearing and "hope it would get us home." After test driving the vehicle he heard a noise still and "changed the brake pads at no cost to us."

After test drive he still heard the noise but again said it should make it home to get repairs (AFTER WE JUST PAID $456.00). 30 minutes away the vehicle broke down again and we had to have the truck towed from Hattiesburg, MS to Madisonville, LA. Apparently the seal on bearing was not put on correctly and now the rear end has burnt up because all the fluid leaked out. I will be seeking legal counsel!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: July 9, 2018

On Monday, July 9th, I stopped at the Pep Boys location in Ardmore, PA., around 12 noon. I wanted to have a headlight replaced on my wife's car. I was told they could not do it, until 1:00 PM. I returned a little after 1:00 PM. Waited fifty minutes, was then told my car was ready. However the headlight was had not been replaced. It then took less than five minutes to replace the bulb. Very disappointed in the service at the Pep Boys location. Doubt if I will use them again. Lots of other choices for car service in the greater Philadelphia area.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I am in the middle of an awful experience with Pep Boys. I went to Pep Boys to get my brakes checked. Yes, I knew I needed the rear brakes done. They diagnosed the problem and came back with both front and back brakes. The front brakes could wait a couple of months, but the back were metal to metal. The vehicle was there at the service center for 5 hours. They broke the parking cable and was honest about it! Said I needed to come back to repair the parking cable. Before I could drive the vehicle home, the battery was dead. They played dumb about the situation and charged the vehicle. Apparently the tech left the key in the on position and ran the battery down after 5 hours. They did a quick charge only to get the vehicle out of the servicing garage. Once out, they could care less if the vehicle started or not.

I made an appointment to be the brake cable done at 12 noon the next day, but they were hesitant in making the appointment. I wanted to come in earlier but they said they needed to get the part from the dealer and the service person does not come in until 11. So now, I am inconveniencing their time for them breaking my parking cable. I showed up earlier the next day than my appointment time. The back breaks was making a thumping sound. They said they would check into the problem. I had not here back from them after 3 hours, so I stopped by to check the status. They said they got the wrong part and it would take a couple of hours. The part was on the way! I received a call 3 hours later and said the vehicle was ready. I went to pick up the vehicle and drove off.

After about 30 minutes of driving, the thumping sound came back. I called and returned to the store only to leave for another 3 hours. Apparently, the shoes were not fitted properly. I received a called and said the vehicle was ready. I test drove the vehicle with the assistant manager and there was no thumping noise at the time. There was squeaking, but he assured me that this would go away after a few days since the brakes were new!

I drove around for a while on my own and the thumping noise came back. The store was closed so I waited to call them back the next day. I called and complained about the thumping noise and they said to bring in. It was Fathers Day and I had plans. I did complain and said that it does not take almost 24 hours to fix back brakes. I am not happy about the services and do not have peace of mind they are even done right or have a qualified person to work on brakes. I was told that if I should get them done somewhere else, bring back the parts and they will credit me 100%.

I chose to get them done elsewhere and did show back up with their parts. They refused to credit my account because they needed a copy of the receipt from the other place. (He could not explain the reason.) I said you did not tell me this and all I needed to do was bring back Pep Boys parts! I did not have the receipt on me at the time and could not return the same day as I was leaving on a trip.

Today is the day, I will show up with the parts and receipt. I hope I don't get anymore attitude from the workers at Pep Boys. They are happy to take your money, do a poor job in their service and then make you feel as you're the problem. Managers and assistant managers were never around to address the issue until I complained to corporate as I was sitting waiting for my vehicle to get serviced on the 3 try. I will never return to Pep Boys and will never recommend to anyone. I believe they are scammers and tried to get away with not putting in new parts that were paid for.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Came in for an advertised oil change Mobil 1 synthetic @ $59. Curious I asked what kind of oil filter they use. I learned it is the cheapest filter they sell - NOT the proper Mobil 1 filter. Not happy about that I purchased a Mobile 1 filter in the store. While in the store I see Mobil 1 on sale. If I buy the oil and filter in the store ($43.00) I pay them for labor $22 and get a superior (proper Mobil 1) oil filter. Back at the service department I tell the service writer Mobil 1 is on sale... He says, "We got the same oil right here." The service writer, writes it up gives me the estimate to sign and I notice he is charging me regular price for the oil (even though it is on sale), a labor charge plus I just paid $15 for a filter. Total $85. When I called it to his attention - he never looked at me. He just walked away - too busy and not interested in hearing that I just busted his little con.

People you need to keep your eyes on these slick Pep Boys con men. If I insist on buying the oil and filter inside the store, carry it out to service and insist they use what I just bought the total cost is $65 including their labor charge of $22. Instead of creating a pleasant customer experience with the potential to do the brakes (the vehicle has 60,000 miles), and other necessary services, these ankle biters would rather beat you for $20 and lose any future business. Pep Boys needs to rethink their commission and bonus structure to include long-term profit from repeat business - NOT hit and run.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Called and asked if they could remove nail and patch tire. Got there and they basically told me I had to replace all of them for $800. I had just gotten my tires inspected by Ford. They refused to patch tire or even replace the single one. Scam artists. Not artists, though, just scammers.

Original review: June 17, 2018

June 12, 2018 Approx 10PM - Clutch goes out. June 13, 2018 - At 8:00AM I made a few in-town calls to get prices for replacing the clutch with taxes included and service advisor Kendall ** from Pep Boys store #191 for North Little Rock, AR told me around $800 with tax included. He replied that they will want to ensure that's what the problem is and I informed him that I'm mechanically inclined and quite sure that's what the problem will be.

He stated that he will "comp" the inspection fee (note that he never told me there was an inspection fee). (This is when I made the decision to bring my car there due to the price was the lowest and only shop capable of getting me home in time on the 17th.) I also informed him that I was from out of town and I needed my car before June 17th. He replied that wouldn't be a problem. I have the car towed there before 11:00AM and meet with Kendall face to face handing him my keys to the vehicle that's in need of repair at his shop to get it done. He assures me this won't be a problem again and they will order the clutch right now so it will be in on the 14th.

June 14, 2018 - I call at 10:00AM in order to get a status update on my car and was told by a different individual that Kendall will have to talk to me about it when he comes in at noon and to call back. I ask if they've gotten the clutch in they ordered. I'm told they didn't order anything and haven't even looked at my vehicle yet. But they will try and start on it today. (At this point I've never gotten any calls about any prices for a clutch or that they've started work on my car.) I call again at 12:00AM and ask for Kendall ** again. Once more, I'm told that he isn't here yet but should be arriving in 15 - 20 minutes. So I thank him and call back at 1:00PM.

This time Deandre ** answers and says that they're working on my car now. He also mentions that they have to send my flywheel out to be resurfaced (No mention of any extra charges on my part). I thanked him and asked how long it would be and was told that it should be all ready by Saturday. I ask if I can get a price on my vehicle yet and am told that It cannot be given yet. June 15, 2018 - I let him work on the vehicle and never received a call figuring they were working swiftly.

June 16, 2018 - I call to check on my vehicle and speak to Norman again and get told that Kendall won't be in until noon again. I ask for a status report anyway and he asks whether or not I've gotten a call from anyone. I tell him nobody has called or left a voicemail. I hear him ask around if anyone tried calling or leaving a voicemail but nobody answers. He proceeds to ask me if I've ever had work done on my car before and if I bought it new or used. I tell him I bought it used and no work has been done. He tells me that they had gotten the wrong clutch yesterday in and spend all day looking around town for the proper one because the clutch that was in the car was made for a transmission from a motor with a turbo. I reply that the ONLY 2007 Mazda 3s that came with a turbo were the 2.3L motors and mine was a 2.0.

He states he had to search all over town to get this "special clutch" and that halted work on my car for awhile. He informs me the battery is dead and that it came with the car. I replied to him I knew the battery had some corrosion prior and that I've cleaned it up multiple times but I've never once has a single No-start problem with my car. After asking what the price of a battery is just in case I get an estimate about $120 when asking for the cheapest. I say no thank you since I know where I can get one brand new in town for less than $100. I ask if it's possible to get a price on my vehicle yet so I can get some money together. I'm told $1,216.19. I just sink into the phone completely stunned by this and tell him I will call him back.

I catch a ride to the Pep Boys to speak with them directly and ask for a printout on this so I can see why I was quoted $800 and the price jumped up to over $1,200 with NO information ever at my price going up for any additional costs being completely out of the loop and uninformed. Norman prints a work order showing that Steering evaluation was $20 extra as he underlines it. $20.97 for 3 qts of gear oil as he underlines it (I can understand this charge). I see the "complimentary vehicle inspection" charge showing $0 (not sure why that's there if I still got charged for the evaluation. Under the Steering evaluation it says "customer says feels like clutch is going out" which is also a lie. I told him verbatim "My clutch IS out and NEEDS to be replaced". The next charge Norman underlines it "resurface" for $94 as he explains that's for the flywheel.

Continuing on he circles "new clutch" stating that's because it was a SPECIAL clutch for transmissions for turbo cars and circles the $280.37 price which shocks me because I looked up local clutches myself and found them to be $180 minimum and a performance clutch to be at $280. Once again a price I wasn't informed on before they installed this part. If I had a choice I'd have brought them the correct clutch myself ESPECIALLY if they told me they got the wrong one to begin with. Under that item on my work order I see a "shop fee" of $35 which he doesn't mention anything about. I'm in shock about the audacity of the way they handled this so much I tell him I need a few minutes to sit on this and he says okay.

So in the space of these 4 days they've had my vehicle: I was mislead about the $800 cost (including tax) it was cost me to get my car fixed. I was never asked to approve any prices for anything as they continued work. Lied to about needing a special clutch because the K70397-01 Sachs clutch is the one that BELONGS inside of my 07' Mazda 3 2.0L transmission. Meaning someone got the wrong part on fault of their own. Never informed they had trouble with my battery (which I'm sure they left my key on in the ignition because I drove back over 7 hours to get home and turned my car off and on with NO issues whatsoever and didn't change my battery). This type of behavior towards customers is completely unacceptable and SHOULDN'T be tolerated. By the time I knew the price would be over $1,200 it was too late and I had to give them the money or lose my car to them.

I work as a civil service employee for the state of Louisiana at a Hospital. As an engineer who is on call every other week for 24 hours a day a vehicle is necessary and when it breaks down out of town you have no choice but to put it into an affordable shop. You're supposed to trust and pray you can get back into work in time. At least I can give them credit for having my back on the road at almost 2PM on the 16th of June which put me back at home at 10pm and one day off before going back to work. This was unacceptable.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Today's experience makes me Humble... and makes me believe that there are honest and simply good people who care for you as a person and see you more as a family than a customer... I am absolutely GRATEFUL and THANKFUL to Pep Boys on 120th and Washington in Northglenn for all they did for me and my family. This is my shop from now and on out... They went out of their way and a long way say the least, to help me out. They are the MOST Honest shop, that literally takes you by the hand and shows you what is wrong with your car. I am horrible with names, but I am talking about the whole stuff. Prices are very good, how do I know? I went to Meineke and guess what they charge DOUBLE compare to Pep Boys. Not ONLY that Pep Boys guaranty and stay behind their Guaranty no questions asked.

At least they do not blaming on you, that you did something to the car. If they change anything with Guaranty they do not charge you for labor UNLIKE Meineke or most of the shops that charge you for coming thru their door... I came in with an Air Conditioner recharge and my compressor was broken (I did not know that), Manager Assistant (again my apologies I am bad with names) manager showed me what exactly was broken and did not charged me for a recharge, not to mention the fact that Pep Boys is almost half price from most of the shops ($70 to recharge 2005 Honda 6 Cylinder car). I love the fact that they are not pushing anything on you and talk to you as a Human being starting from the Manager to a front desk personnel. Everyone very polite and they listen without interrupting you or cutting you off...

After my air compressor got fixed, my alternator melted and I know exactly why and who have done that, but unfortunately, I can not prove that (Meineke down the road), but Pep Boys staff was very understanding and solved the problem like I am a part of their family... I am humbled and touched by my experience. I hope that this review will help to give this shop a chance to prove that they are the BEST AROUND HERE (Thornton). You will not be disappointed. Thank you PEP BOYS, you saved not ONLY my car but much more!!!

Original review: June 9, 2018

Approximately 10-14 days ago, I took my son's 2008 Nissan Maxima to Pep Boys in Southaven due to a bad oil leak (stain in the driveway made it obvious it was leaking). They looked at the vehicle and determined that it was a rear engine oil leak and quoted me $1,200+ to repair. I was advised it would take around 3 days. On 6/2/2018, I talked to Pep Boys (Southaven) and was advised the best time to bring it in would be Tuesday. On Tuesday, 6/5/2018, we dropped the car off and was advised they did not have the manpower to make the repairs, they would ship the car over to their Park Avenue (Memphis) location and we may have to pick the car up from there. I consented. On today, 6/9/2018 I called the store on Park Avenue to check on the status of the repair and I was advised the car was ready for pick up. I arrived, paid the $1,200+ for the repair.

We got less than a mile away and realized the car was pinging and would not accelerate above 40 MPH. We also noticed a 'burning' smell from the vehicle. Prior to this "repair" my son drove the car every day to work and to church. After talking to the technician, I was told the left side of the catalytic converter was clogged and it "will be Monday before he can give me a price". He agreed that it was about "timing" but my argument and complaint is simple: If this was a pre-existing situation, obviously we would have had difficulty driving the car PRIOR to the "repair" and would not have paid $1,200 not addressing the problem.

If the car was drivable, but leaked oil...and I pick it up from Pep Boys and now it is not even DRIVABLE with a "new" condition, it should be the responsibility of Pep Boys 100% to fix my car! They claimed to have not test driven the car. You fix a car and don't test drive it? Had this happened two weeks later, I get it...but NOT as soon as we pick up the car after THEY have had it for a week.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Went to Pep Boys for an alignment. They said I needed lower control arms and ball joints. They quoted $156.40 for each control arm and $54.96 for the ball joints. They said labor would be $437.50. I checked their website for the exact parts by item number. Control arms were $63.19 and ball joints were $18.39 each. WOW. WHAT A MARKUP!!! Like I said this their own website. I declined the service.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Two year old car with 20000 miles, premature front tire wear so I go in to get a simple alignment. Right? No way, these scam artists tell me four new tires $880. Plus the alignment or they refuse to align. So I ask the obvious; why do I need new tires on the back? No way, add on scammers.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Store 1518 at 10306 E Colonial Dr Orlando Fl. I went to my local Pep Boys rather than the Ford dealership because Pep Boys was much closer. The power steering fluid was leaking and I didn't want to go any further than needed. The high pressure switch was leaking and I was quoted $230 for the repair. When I picked the car up I had a $25 coupon from my Ford dealer which they said they would honor, and the price increased to $257.07... go figure. While they had the car on the lift I had asked for an estimate for the rear brakes. Was quoted $749. They said it needed pads, rotors, calipers and a fluid flush. I told them that the fluid had already been done 6k miles earlier. They said it was contaminated. I took the car to the Ford dealership the next day and had the brakes done for $351. There was nothing wrong with either the brake fluid or the calipers. I was a returning customer at Pep Boys, but never again... TOTAL RIP OFF.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I drive 17 miles to go to this Pep Boys (White Marsh, MD). I know I'll receive excellent service and Rick (service manager) works with the mechanics to assure quality work. They go out of their way to work with you. Waiting room is always clean!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Ordered oil filters online using their website and it asked me to pick up and pay at the store. The store clerk said he could not find the order when I was in the Sunnyvale, El Camino Real store. I showed him the order and the order number and still he would not help me. He could easily have processed the order since the items were in store but he would not help. Complete waste of my time going to store. Decided never to shop or waste time at PEP BOYS and just order online via Amazon or others. Same price and comes home.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Brought my car in to have a service diagnostics done and an oil change. Told them my car was making a noise when turning and when you pressed on the gas it was making a noise. Left my car there and 45 mins later I get a call saying my power steering went, my hose was leaking, my rack was cracked and spark plugs were gone and recommended a tune-up since I'm almost at 118k miles. Ok fine, they give me a quote of 2900.00 and change. I told them that the spark plugs were just done. They told me that they could take off 400.00. I freaked out because I can't afford a new car, I agreed to have it done without thinking since they have serviced my car in the past. I had to go there and retrieve some things out of my car and on my way my husband called and I told him what was going on.

My husband and father in law flipped and said to take it to another mechanic because it didn't sound right. I get there and tell them my husband wants a second opinion, the guy Larry was very nice about it and said he understood and whatever quote I got, he will take 10% off that price. I'm like okay that nice. I take it to this other mechanic and tell them my issue. Well my car stayed with this other mechanic over the weekend (and thank God it did ) and they just called and told me my car was FINE and it just needs steering wheel fluid and a couple of other fluids... Oh and a new windshield wiper... Are you kidding me, I almost paid all that money for nothing that was wrong. Yes when it comes to mechanics I am a little naive. But that was seriously not okay at all. I will never go back, not even for an oil change ever again.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I went in to get four new tires and the manager recommended Definity because it has 30K miles warranty. I purchase and have them installed paying around 600 bucks. 2 months go by and 1 pops from the side so I return to get the tire replaced and they tell me they cannot help me. That I have to contact Definity directly. I specifically ask the guy if anything happens I can bring it back to them, he says yes. After spending easily over 2k in Pep Boys over the past 4years I will never trust or go back again. They made a quick sale on a cheap tire but lost my and my family’s business.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had replaced a tire in January of 2018 with a new tire and bought another new tire so both tires would match. Told this could not be done and I would have to buy 4 new tires in order for them to comply with whatever policies you have. Receptionist was rude, male tech was fine. Replacing a tire with the same brand and manufacturer dates basically similar... what's the problem???

Original review: April 9, 2018

We took our 2003 Ford to the Mesquite, Texas location and was told that it would be at about 4 hours, take in mind that this was @ 9am on a Sunday. For starters the Manager is a true idiot. When you try to get precise answers to your question he acts as if you are annoying him. When it was past time for the work to be done I called to see if they were done, 9 hours later I was told that they would call me and let me know.

So my husband and I decided to go to the shop and wait, well they never called. It was 5:15 and they close at 6, and not a phone call. Nothing, they then started to let the bay doors down to close so we went in to the store to find out what was going on with our car, and the Manager said, "Oh it's not ready..." My response was, "You guys wasn't even going to call to say anything." By this time we were pissed. He gave a lot of unacceptable reason why it wasn't going to be ready at the last min. of course. So we stated to him that we need our car today so he said, "You can wait if you like." Oh and we did. I have taken cars to this location many times but this time was the worst.

There is not any form of courtesy when it comes to common sense. He was upset I believe because he had another young lady to check us out (Amy). She was very nice and apologetic but as I told her it was not her fault. It was the Manager's fault for not calling to let us know how the process was going. I feel that he is a very rude dry s.o.b who seems as if he hates what he does and if there is anyone that shouldn't be working with the public it is him. He is nasty to customers and not helpful nor does he take into consideration anything. Yes we did get our car and it is running great thus far, but he needs to take training in customer service ethics or find another profession like maybe working with animals in the wilderness.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Took my 98 Ford Ranger to have the brake fluid removed and replaced after a master cylinder change. I was given the keys with the pedal sinking to the floor. Unbelievable. They were expecting me to drive in this condition. I discussed that this was unacceptable and was told maybe another $30 of adjustment service could fix the problem. They found a emergence drum brake cable to be discontinued at the left rear. The brakes were improved but still not acceptable. By now I have no faith in the service department and took my truck home to fix it myself, which I did by a simple bleeding. Hard pedal and great service because of my efforts and not Pep Boys. I called the service department and informed them that I had fixed my brakes. They thanked me... No offers of compensation for their lack of follow through. Done. I have no use for your services or parts.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I scheduled a 9 AM appointment to have a diagnostic done. My vehicle was not moved until 11:30 AM... so, I had to call my office and reschedule my appointments. Thought the desk person was polite, Pep Boys did nothing to demonstrate accountability for this issue.

Original review: March 19, 2018

We have been bringing our cars here for the past year. Each time, they seem to find deals to save us money on our vehicle repairs. This time, we decided to compare the parts costs as they seemed really high. We not only found the parts much cheaper directly from GM (OEM parts) but even cheaper on the Pep Boys own parts sales website! They were trying to justify the 40% mark up on their own price by saying that the parts and labor are warrantied, like it's some great gift they are giving us! We are paying for future repairs we shouldn't even need if they do their job right! Looking back over the past receipts, we see a disturbing pattern where they jack up the prices and then give "discounts" in the guise of "helping their customers". This is a classic shill and drop technique usually reserved for used car sales and other unscrupulous sales scenarios. Go anywhere else!

Original review: March 15, 2018

After getting my new tires put on my tire pressure was on from the moment I got my car back. I filled the tires with air and the light stayed on. When I went to go look at the driver's manual, I noticed that the entire glove compartment was out of place. I guess they looked in there to see how to turn it off and practically ripped it off. I am furious! Now I have to back for them to "fix it." It is ridiculous that I have to take more of my time to address this issue. When they damaged it, they should have told me.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After having the a/c diagnosed at a local repair shop I called around to get price for replacement. Pep Boys was about 300 less than the shop that found the issue. Complete replacement of a/c including coil was 981 at PB's. I was quoted that by Ron. When I dropped off the car I verified this price. When I picked up the car I asked again if coil was replaced and was told no. Ron charged me an additional fee to 'flush' the original coil! So I was charged the price quoted plus another charge for less materials than I was quoted. This is bad. Ron seemed uninterested.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wanted my right back hub bearing replaced to stop the loud noise. It turns out the problem was not the hub bearing, but instead of telling me it was not the hub bearing they replaced a part that did not need to be replaced. In addition, it takes one hour and one half to change a hub bearing. They took less than 25 minutes. They took my 300.00 dollars and lied. The problem I came to get fixed was not fixed. They lied.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Complaint against Pep Boys store #1619 located at 6820 South Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33813. My car is in excellent shape and I'm OCD about maintenance and repair. I went in for a radiator flush and came out with a busted radiator leaking antifreeze. I now need a new radiator. They broke the part where the top hose mounts to the radiator. They used too much force taking it off. Plain and simple. I collected the broken pieces from the hose and top of engine area.

The manager ** claims that it must have had a crack in it already or that it was already busted into pieces. BS, no way. Two certified mechanics that I have used for years worked on my car doing a major tuneup and lower suspension work the day before. Everything was fine with the radiator - I never had any leaks or overheating problems ever. My car always has ice cold air in summer and fast heat in winter. I want Pep Boys to do the right thing - replace and install a new radiator and flush the system. The manager only offered to buy a new radiator but I would have to pay to have it installed. Seriously??? I hope we can work this out. If not, I will file in reconciliation (small claims) court.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I had tires mounted oy CTS4. The wheels were pristine with only little blemishes. After doing the service I left and parked the car in the garage and didn't look at it again for 2 days. Upon wiping off all the grease I was left only to find they had scratched and chipped all 4 wheels. I called the shop and manager (who by the way should get a raise) drove to my house and looked at them. That night he agreed we would be able to come to an agreement, that in fact he thought that at least some of the damage was done by them.

When returning the next day the, after the manager spoke with his boss had changed his tune and all of a sudden it was nothing wrong and nothing he was able to do. They directed me to their customer service department which have been giving me the runaround. Never ever take your vehicle to this chop shop unless you just do not care. There is a reason why they may be the cheapest place in town. Complete and utter disappointment and regret, too bad hindsight is 20-20.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This place needs to be investigated. In my life, I have not seen a business so deceiving and dishonest. This place will go to great lengths to make you think that your vehicle needs repairs. It sounds kinda crazy, but, like the other reviews on here, I do not know how they get any business. The game they play is simple. Come in for a "free" estimate, and we will diagnose your car with multiple problems, and you can die on the way home. Seriously, they had all of their employees acting in a way in hopes to convince the customers to think their vehicle is not safe.

The "free estimate" is not free at all. It is a free opportunity for them to come back and tell you that your vehicle won't make it home or needs repaired immediately. They will not come tell you that your vehicle is good, come back and see us in a few months. Last time they tried to hustle me, I had asked them to look at my caliper because I heard a clunk noise when I tried to stop. It wasn't anything crazy and the car would stop, it just made a funny noise. They came back to say I need 800 dollars worth of brake repairs and a repaired or new rear differential. That was over 6 months ago. After the free inspection, my car is running great, and the brakes are great too. They were so rude after I told them I was not going to get any work done on my car. It was night and day in regards to their attitude.

The staff at Pep Boys in Reno is not very intelligent. They do not understand that smart people will see the BS not come back. They tried to lie to me about my warranty and that would have cost me over 2 grand. It is like their whole shtick is to see if they can convince you that you need car repairs, and take you to the cleaners. Maybe they will change their name again and try to hit the reset button, but don't take your vehicle to Pep Boys in Reno, they are horrible.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information