Pep Boys

Compare Auto Service and Repair Companies

Research top Auto Service and Repair Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had the battery replaced, under warranty, on my 2000 Chevy S10 and was charged $9.99 (non-optional) for BATTERY PROTECTION SERVICE, which should have included: 1. Chemically cleaning of terminal ends. 2. Installing acid neutralizing washers. 3. Applying protective coating. Unfortunately, none of the above was done. Very disappointed! I was also charged @10.80 for ADDITIONAL ACCESS TIME (BATTERY INSTALLATION SERVICE), which should have included, in addition to removal and recycling the old battery and installation of the new battery: 1. Inspection and cleaning tray and terminals. 2. Memory saver device. 3. Complete starting and charging system evaluation.

Unfortunately, none of the above was done: the tray and terminals are still dirty, the head unit lost all memories and no any kind of evaluation of starting/charging of the systems was done. The only thing the technician did was removed the old battery and installed the new one. The entire process literally took a couple of minutes only, while I was standing a few feet away and watching. Again, I'm very dissatisfied. I have experienced very similar situation a few years ago at different Pep Boys location. The only reason came back to Pep Boys, because the battery was still under warranty for full replacement.

I came here for an inspection. I had everything done before I came here because I knew I needed brakes and rotors, tires and a new flex pipe. The service guy came out and proceeded to tell me I need back brake pads and my tires need replaced by winter. WHAT??? The pads are 53.00 so I said ok. "Just do the pads because they won't pass" he said. Even though my other mechanic said they were fine. With labor, the pads are costing 215.00!! So I need new tires by winter?? I just had new tires put on. It's March. I had them put on this month! Why would I need new tires by winter? I have always come here for my car needs but never again. After reading all the horror stories posted on here, I won't be back. This place sucks!

Short but brief. Leaving from work on 4/17/17 in need of battery. And close to closing rush into Pep Boys. Ask one of young men whose name was Jr. to assist me in getting battery out of the car. No problem. Got to counter. There was another young man by the name Joe. He continue to help out. Just amazing young men. Little did they know I had been dealing with my Dad and Father in law being hospital. Thank you.

When I placed a call to Pep Boys Everett Washington repair dept., a service tech answered the phone. I politely asked him if he might pull up my vehicle's service history. As he mumbled into the phone, he stated "We don't keep records on our computers." His vindictiveness and shallow answers finally cause me to hang up. I called back about 10 minutes later, and a nice woman answered the phone. She immediately pulled up my history and answered my question clearly and decisively. Another issue was a simple repair quotation of less than $300 and work authorized on my part, turned into $900 by the day's end. Forget these arrogant scammers. They're going the way of Sears. They just don't care.

To keep brief I had my car in to fix muffler and it was not fixed properly. It was loud and they explained they screwed up. Cost me 400 then engine light came on cause of O2 sensor and said it was bad and cost another 600. It still is not fixed. They rigged it but the rig keeps failing. It's a free fix but gotta keep bringing it back when it gets loud again for them to adjust it. I feel I got ripped off and will not go back for general repairs. Thanks Pep Boys novice mechanics and managers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

My experience with Bill (parts department) of Pep Boys at Dover, Delaware was the most upsetting one I've had since I came to this country in 1969. I ask for help in finding a car part but what I got was a very insulting reply- "Speak English, I don't understand a word you're saying." Is this the proper way to respond to your customer? In the future please be more courteous and understanding and not condescending for I always thought that business is addition not subtraction!!!

Under no Circumstances should you give Pep Boys your Email. I bought a part online and used a promo code to save a few bucks. I made sure I unchecked the box for any kind of promotions. They started sending me Email for reviews and surveys. I went to the bottom and unsubscribed on a few of the Emails but they keep coming anyway, I ended up adding them to junk mail. If they ask for it in the store say no, if it is needed for an online purchase use an Email that is designated for collecting junk from online merchants like Newegg and eBay that hound you for review. I contacted their support and still receive their junk. The only reason I didn't initially give them the Junk Email address is because I have shopped other local part stores using their internet sales and have not had this experience.

Brian, in the parts department, did a wonderful job in finding excellent rims for my 2004 Ford Freestar. This was my first time looking for rims for a mini-van and he went above and beyond the call of duty. He is very detailed orientated and had wonderful suggestions when I wasn't sure how to go about searching. A few items came up in his search that he clarified by contacting various sources for solutions. He is an excellent asset to Pep Boys by his attention, knowledge, awareness and kind helpfulness to find satisfaction for a customer.

They struggle to perform standard tire service repairs and their customer service is terrible. The Orlando, FL location stated, "We comp alignments all the time because customers FEEL it was done incorrectly". Feel or was done incorrectly? I believe looking at the tires will tell the truth behind that explanation. Pep Boys is a terrible company and I would not put the safety of my family in their hands!

I was recently quoted from another mechanic $680 to replace my upper ball joints and arms on the front two wheels of my Dodge pickup including a wheel alignment. So for a second opinion I went into Pep Boys for another quote and they came up with a long list of garbage and a total ticket of $2300. I'm like holy crap who's right here? So I go to Midas up the road for a third opinion and they agree with the first guy and quoted me $580. So lesson learned is, don't let Pep Boys use their scare tactics on you and get a second or even a third opinion. I will never buy from Pep Boys again out of mere principle. Clean up your act Pep Boys, you suck!

I called Pep Boys Sunday 2 1/2 weeks ago about getting my car fixed for overheating. They said to bring it in Monday morning so I did. I got a call Monday afternoon saying it was the temperature gauge and head gasket. They said it would cost 1200 but all parts were there and it would be an 8-hour job. We called 4 days later and they said they were waiting on a part, but the car would be done in Tuesday the latest. We called Tuesday and they then said the car was not ready and it wouldn't be ready till Friday.

We let it go and then called in Friday. The supervisor said it was still not done because he was out sick and the mechanic wasn't working on the car, he then promised it would be done Monday and would have all the guys work on the car to make sure it would be ready. So now it is Monday night and we called and they said it was not ready to call back in 3 days. I have never experienced anything like this. Every time we call the mechanic or the supervisor isn't there, and they can't explain to us why it is taking so long. It's like a game. And they don't care about customer service at all. I will never bring a car back there. It is horrible. You get nowhere and no one will talk to you, I have no idea when I will be getting my car.

I am very dissatisfied with my Pep Boys experience this morning. I booked an online appointment with the Pasadena store (0296) for a transmission flush and filter replacement (91 Corvette). I also talked to an online "Chat " rep who quoted me the price of $129 for this service and also confirmed a 10 am appointment at the store for me. I drove from Alvin to Pasadena but when I got there I was advised that they had the machine but not the fittings to connect to my transmission. He explained that he had requested those from management more than once, to no avail.

Then they proceeded to call several other Houston area stores (some would have been over an hours drive for me) and he got answers that ranged between, "Can't get to him today," "We don't have the fittings either," "Our machine is broke," "We don't do transmission service," and other excuses that made it impossible to get my car serviced today. So as it is, I'm out 2 hours time, $15 in gasoline, extremely frustrated, and my car still needs servicing. What are you going to do to make this experience right for me, because anything short of getting the fittings to the Pasadena store (in a timely manner) and probably servicing my transmission now for free, is going to earn you a scathing online review. I expect a prompt response. Thank you.

I contacted Pep Boys Customer Service because I was trying to purchase a new set of tires online and kept experiencing issues with my order. To make a long story short I made my online purchase and scheduled my installation at Pep Boys 101 Metro Ave Evansville, IN 47715 (812) 474-9988. We called ahead to make sure the tires was available since it was 2 1/2 hours from our home.

When we arrived we was informed that they was installing the last set of the tires on a truck at that moment. At the same time they was trying to explain the confusion with my order. They was also explaining to the lady next to me that her car needed new brakes. She explained that she had just put new brakes on her car (at this location). They was having trouble finding her information in the computer on her brakes, and after further discussion found out it wasn't even her car. I demanded a refund (not sure that is been completed until I can verify my CC) and then went to Discount Tire where I received excellent service and pricing. I will never go back to Pep Boys for anything again.

I took my car for an oil change at the Pep Boys in Whitehall, PA. They call me to let me know I needed a cabin air filter. I gave them the OK to change it. Pick up my car, went home. The following day I went to turn on the heat in the car and it was making a grinding sound. I took the car back since it wasn't making that before. The person proceeded to say my blower had broken that I needed to replace it. They proceed to hand the keys over and say "If you're mechanical it's easy to repair."

I took my car to a real mechanic who knew what he was talking about. He was able to see that when they changed the filter they left all the crap from the old filter fall and that clogged my vents. All they did was clean it out, they did a half-ass job and I will never go there again. I called customer relations to complain. They took my information told me I would hear something from a manager within 48 hours. Guess what? It's been a week and a half. I have yet to hear anything. The worst customer service available.

Lyft should send their driver somewhere else. This place is so unprofessional and they have the worst customer service. No company pride or education as to customer's time. Kinen has difficulties taking a moment to explain to customers what is required of them.

So I went to the Pep Boys on Mississippi 12820 Store 242. I spent 408.26. They did not put my car back together. Parts missing off my car. They wouldn't help me. The tech that worked on my Lexus called me a liar... and then called the cops on me the customer. Shame on Pep Boys. Poor customer on my car and in person. I would never send anyone to Pep Boys for service.

On Tuesday, February 7, I ordered 4 tires (buy 3, get one free) and scheduled the install at your franchise at 3207 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington, DE total-$246.80. When I got there Saturday morning for my online Confirmed appointment, I was told by the cashier that they don’t carry that tire anymore, haven’t for some time, and can’t get it. No one bothered to look at the order after it was confirmed to let me know this between Tuesday and Saturday? When I asked what comparable tires they had, she tried a bait and switch for tires that were close to twice the cost of my original order.

I asked if she would honor the original confirmed quote, since it was obviously their fault, she said no and that I should take it up with corporate. She was not even remotely willing to help in any way. Don't ever use this location to have work done on your car. I took my daughter’s car a half a block down the street and got exceptional service at Just Tires at a more reasonable price.

Frustration! Get it right 1st time! The reps kept giving me different prices on front strut assembly, changing their mind, so I kept calling back to see if somebody was going to give me the correct or same price so that was about 4 times. Finally someone got it right. Offered me a $10 gift card for the frustration. Said it would be in the following Monday so I waited for my order to pick up at the store. The following Monday only half the order is and no gift card came so I called back to order the rest of the order -- rear struts and coil springs. The gift card would be sent another week later so in between all this time I'm missing my mechanic. My car is not getting repaired. This has been the worst nightmare of my life! But in the end Customer Service tried to make it right and complete everything.

My pistons were misfiring and I knew I needed new spark plugs but didn't have the time to replace them myself. So, I requested new plugs with my Pep Boys oil change. Easy right? Wrong? They told me not to drive my car home because it was dangerous. The engine had major problems. However, they would need another day to figure out what was wrong. So, I took my car home anyway, bought the plugs myself for $1.50 each and ended up doing it myself. Now my engine runs fine. Does the franchise instruct the service department to say whatever to reach their monthly goals? Pep Boys is good for DYI parts and an oil change only. Beware of their service department. Sears is pretty awful too. I'm sticking to independent garages.

This location is 487 S. Broadway, Denver, CO. Took car in for leaking radiator, they said I needed a whole new radiator, got one. Still leaked, took it back, was told "radiator failed" but they said it was a manufacturer's problem, not theirs! I had to pay $350.00 for a rental car, they refused to provide transportation to me even though their service failed! Went to pick it up and car made noise I never heard before! Didn't even get it out of parking lot. Said I have a power steering problem which they never told me about. They said they were "focused on the radiator". I never had a power steering leak or problem until driving in their parking lot! Again NOT their responsibility!! I had to go back and get the rental car I just turned in.

Only when my brother who is in the business pushed on them did they discount the labor for a discount. So another $275 out for me. Now I find a bottle of antifreeze dumped in the second seat, when I finally get my car back, that bottle was standing up when I gave them a car. Very little boys work in this place, grow up and join the adult world kids! Terrible Service, incompetent mechanics and vindictive people. NEVER go to a PEP BOYS for anything.

I had my 2002 Chevy S10 towed to this location as suggested by my insurance company (since they were the one towing it for me) because the truck would not start. They replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and did a tune up, claiming that everything had been fixed. The next day I replace my oil. Under the hood I found a screwdriver and magnet pen resting on the distributor. As I start the truck up and look inside, a plume of smoke appears near the distributor and a loud clacking noise. I bring the truck back in a second time and they tell me now it is the distributor itself. I come in after the distributor has been replaced. Upon starting my truck, I notice the check engine light is on. This meant I had to leave the truck there a third time.

All in all, my truck was being worked on for 6 days. Wed-Fri 1st time, Sat-Mon 2nd time, Mon-Tues 3rd time. Now I know my vehicle is old and diagnosing problems can be difficult. I am not upset that I paid over $1000 for the work they did. What I am upset about is that they did not make sure my truck was working properly both times. You figure black smoke and a loud noise from the engine would indicate that everything is not okay. You would also think not to leave your tools inside a person's vehicle. You might assume that a person would see the check engine light on and think to further investigate the problem.

I guess this is how they do business because they honestly did not see any of the issues I brought up as being anything to apologize for. There's a difference between doing Good work and doing fast work. They apparently choose the latter. I would rather have my vehicle be somewhere longer as opposed to have to dick around with going back and forth over a week time.

Without going all of the details they essentially did not fix my turning flashers and they said it was just a battery. In the process of replacing the battery my car alarm didn't work afterward. "I" figured out the issues after Pep Boys made a bad situation worse. Again, unless you are really desperate DON'T go to Pep boys!

Location: Lafayette Rd., Indianapolis, IN. DON'T GO THERE!

I took my Nissan 350Z to have an oil change at Pep Boys. The technician tells me that I should replace the valve cover gaskets because they are leaking. I authorize them to replace both valve cover gaskets on that 3.5 liter engine. I left my car with them for 2 days. They called me up and said it's ready for pickup. I went to pick it up and paid close to $800 for this repair. I got in my car, started it and began to leave the parking lot and the engine feels like it's running on 2 cylinders. So I turn around because I only got 50 feet from the shop and talk to the manager explaining the problem. He agreed that it was not running like this when I brought it in and they were going to have their top Tech work on it for me.

7 days passed and they call me to come get it. Needless to say it was doing the same issue. So I left it with them again. 6 days later they say it's ready. So I have the manager get in my car and started and take a test drive with me. Didn't even get the seat belt on and it felt like it was still running on 2 cylinders. After several hours of debating they refunded my entire amount that I paid. I asked "who's going to fix my car now? It was not like this before they performed the repair!" I said. They proceeded to tell me "sorry we can't help you. Just be happy we gave your money back".

So I found a guy that specializes in these vehicles and had it towed to his shop. Upon inspection he called me and told me that there were four snapped bolts in the valve cover and missing about 8 bolts that hold all the vacuum lines and accessories and wire routing. He then discovered that Pep Boys missed plugged two of the coils in the wrong place! And the valve covers are leaking worse than before!

So long story short I end up paying $500 to fix Pep Boys mistakes! I will never set foot in another Pep Boys and I will never recommend to anybody to go there not even my worst enemy because he doesn't deserve it either! I was just beside myself on how the manager handled it and it became my problem because of their poor work quality and lack of knowledge and experience! Don't even let them put air in your tires! They will mess that up too! I believe their policy is to hire as many Down syndrome mechanics they can find. I apologize to the people with Down Syndrome. I don't want them getting mistaken for a Pep Boys employee.

Had warranty work done, motor replacement. Got a remand motor put in, had truck back. A 2 wks check engine light came back on, blowing blue smoke out tail pipe and gas fumes & carbon monoxide is so bad have to ride with window down. Taken it back 3 times to be told nothing is wrong and unless we want to pay for the repairs. The motor came with a 1 yr parts and labor warranty. They will not do anything unless it's a catastrophic breakdown. WILL NEVER go to a Pep Boys.

Pep Boys did an alignment on a vehicle. The technician never screwed the back bar tight. The bar stripped and snapped. The car was zig zag all over the road. The repair was made but all kinds of further issues cropped up (tie rods. Wheel bearings. etc. etc.) as a result of the back bar not being screwed tight and then snapping altogether. An independent mechanic stated the car is unsafe to drive after this type of incident causing car to swerve left & right while driving instead of straight. Pep Boys refused to remedy the situation by paying for further repairs and/or paying for value of vehicle and subsequent damages. The driver or any other car on the road could have been killed as this was a serious negligence and safety issue. The car has been undrivable & parked for 2 + years awaiting Pep Boys to pay for all negligence and damages to date. Pep Boys was called for results and they didn't care even after calling CEO office.

I recently had to take my truck in for a wheel alignment. I actually worked with the service manager, Jermaine **. He treated me with respect and was very knowledgeable about the services that I needed. They were thorough in their explanation, and very helpful and helping me resolve my brake issues. Even when I thought something was wrong, they reassured me that everything was great with my vehicle. I would highly recommend this service department to anyone and will continue to bring my vehicle for all my automotive needs.

Well I was told I could pick the product up the next day after 12 and it never showed so now someone won't be getting a Christmas present till after Christmas because of them. They should have never said it was going to arrive at the store.

I would like the public to know that Pep Boys is no longer a trustworthy company. My experience with Pep Boys has been wrong diagnosis, cheap parts and high labor costs. Pep Boys employees do not communicate with its customers. Pep Boys has replaced several items on my car including front and back brakes that included new rear wheel cylinders... only six months ago. One of the rear cylinders locked up just two days ago and Pep Boys did not want to take responsibility. I was told they needed you reevaluate the work Pep Boys performed on my rear brakes. IF they were responsible I had to pay for the part as well as the re-evaluation. And pay for towing.

My latest experience was losing antifreeze. I was told by their "mechanic" I needed a new fan relay switch, a new thermostat, radiator flush and hoses... $500 My radiator is 6 months old and the radiator fan is still working. I refused the fan relay switch, radiator flush, and hoses. I allowed the new thermostat and of course the fresh antifreeze. They performed the radiator flush anyway and charged me. I did get a refund. So, for the thermostat, antifreeze, wrong "evaluation", and labor they charged me $198. PLUS, THEY LEFT A RADIATOR HOSE LOOSE. I personally will NOT use Pep Boys again... Not even for an oil change. Customers BEWARE of Pep Boys.

I went to Pep Boys on Tremont Ave in the Bronx close by Westchester Ave for a simple wheel alignment for my Ford e150. The mechanic then told me I needed work on my front end to the amount of 3k. I then took van for a second opinion and come to find out I did not need anything but new front rotors. I will never trust Pep Boys again.

I broke down in a parking lot. My temperature gauge was halfway but my car started smoking. I turned it off, looked under hood and found coolant everywhere but there was still coolant in my tank. Went to get my phone from car. When I returned coolant tank was empty and coolant was on the ground. I contacted Pep Boys in Waterbury to get towed there. Waited an hour and a half to be told that I needed a thermostat & coolant fan, plus a coolant flush. Left car Friday picked up Sunday.

Monday morning when I started my car it shook like an earthquake. I went to check my oil and noticed there was no coolant in my tank. I filled the tank with coolant. I then noticed a keychain that held sentimental value to me was missing off my keys. While driving my car my thermostat would go halfway and once on highway or when heat was on it would stay in the cold position. No notification that my car was overheating. If I was in a standstill position the temp. gauge would go halfway. Temp. gauge never went to hot. I contacted the headquarters and made a complaint about the service I received, not being offered a rewards card with the amount of times I made purchases there and had a battery replaced and about my keychain being taken. While waiting for a callback about my complaint I kept an eye on my temp. gauge not indication that my car was overheating. The farthest the gauge went was halfway.

I went to get food with my son and while in a standstill I started to notice smoke coming out from under my hood by where the coolant tank was. I could not drive off the line so I threw the heat on when I was finally able to pull into a spot. I checked under the hood and noticed nothing wrong. The smoking had stopped once the heat went on. I finally got in touch with the district manager and explained about the service, stolen keychain and told him about the issues I was still having with my car. He told me he was going to have the service manager call me to set up a day to bring my car back in to re-diagnose it because it seems my car was misdiagnosed. That was on a Wednesday. Thursday I did not hear from anyone.

I called early Friday morning and was told the manager was suppose to be in an hour earlier, so I left a message and waited for a call. I called the next day at 10 am and was told that the manager took an early lunch and would be back in an hour. I called back an hour and 15 minutes later and was told that he tried calling me and left me a message. I had no missed call or any message. I brought my car in today and 2 1/2 hours later I had to be the one to call to find out what was going on with my car. I was told that I had a blown head gasket. I went in to talk to them and was told "yes you have a blown head gasket. Would you like to know how much it would cost to repair it." I immediately told them no because it was not going to cost me a damn thing because they misdiagnosed my car didn't fix the problem which lead to my head gasket blowing. I was told that they will talk to the manager tomorrow and get back to me.

I called the district manager and told him what was going on and was told that he will call the manager tomorrow to see if they were at fault. They are the ones at fault. They replaced a fan and thermostat, flushed the coolant and never filled up the tank. My car never shook like an earthquake before I took it in to get repaired. I am disgusted with Pep Boys and will never bring my cars or business there ever again. They need to fix the problem they caused.

Compare Auto Service and Repair