1.35/5
  • 1 star
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

671 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

When we took in my truck, it took them 4 weeks to figure out the problem and find the parts. They talked down to me, they didn't keep me posted with the progress and they ransacked through the inside of my truck. When I contacted the corporate office, they blew me off as well. We took it in again a couple weeks later, thinking the problem was related, to find that it took them another 4 weeks to figure it out and find the parts. These repairs cost me over $1300. I will NEVER use them or promote.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I brought my car in for an oil change and tire rotation. Turned out my tires were worse than I thought, really bad, like unsafe to drive bad. Bare steel belt on one, tread literally coming off on another. My funds were limited, and these guys were so great. I got a great deal, they went above and beyond regarding customer service. As a small business owner and very car-savvy woman, you can take my word for it. I'm going back Friday to have my other two tires done. This is a good shop (Seattle 4th Avenue), good guys. Don't hesitate to bring your car here. And they always have coupons, you can just get them on your phone. $19.99 for an oil change and tire rotation - that's good.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Made a simple oil change appointment for 9 am on Monday, I was at the desk shortly before the appointment time. There was 1 person In line, and 1 service desk employee. Was not even acknowledged until 920. They looked up appointment and told me once a rack cleared up they would get to it. Well after 1 1/2 hours seeing 3 cars coming off the racks and cars being put in them before mine, even though they came in after me. I was told it may be another couple of hours!!! It was obvious they were working on cars first that had more profit in the repairs than my simple oil change with a coupon. If you want to spend a lot of money on repairs expect a small wait, if you're looking for a oil change go somewhere else!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I had just driven down from Canada to Destin, Florida and noticed that the brakes on my Dodge Caravan were softer than they normally are. Took it into PEP Boys and they diagnosed the problem as needing a new master cylinder which they said would be $500 to replace. As I didn't want to drive back to Canada with bad brakes I told them to go ahead. When I picked it up I noticed that the brakes had not improved. When I returned to Canada I took the vehicle to my regular mechanic and he told me the master cylinder wasn't the problem, it was a rear caliper that needed replacing which he did. He said he didn't think the wheels had even been taken off by PEP Boys. The brakes are now working fine but I am out of pocket by $500 (US). When I contacted PEP Boys I was told that I had been told about the caliper at the time but that is a lie. I would not recommend these guys to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Do not ever buy tires or let Pep Boys put tires on your car, they completely destroyed the rims on my 2013 BMW after they put tires on them. Every rim has scratches and gashes and Pep Boys refuses to do anything about it. They offered to refund the cost of putting tires on my car after they destroyed my rims... The rims are around $2000 and they offered to refund $79.95 after they completely damaged my rims. Avoid Pep Boys for anything, they will destroy your car and won't do anything about it afterwards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

A day trip to celebrate my daughter's birthday ended with our being stranded 1.5 hours away from home. My alternator died on the freeway ramp curbside off South Blvd. Roadside assistance towed us to Pep Boys store #132 on South Blvd. The store was soon to close and didn't have the needed part at their store. Thank God Tony (service manager) was there to make a decision - he gained consent from his awesome mechanics as well as he promised lunch to a mechanic who went to pick up the part (not his job).

That kindness alone was enough to cheer my heart. But, Tony went above and beyond the call, knowing that we were stranded in Charlotte, needed to get home as others needed to get into the house, and we had limited funds. Tony give us excellent repair service in addition to discounts to the very amount of our ability to pay. I'm sure this isn't an everyday practice, but that night, he made my daughter's birthday a blessing above what we could have imagined.

All of Tony employees were wonderful. The store was clean and well organized, and my car runs like new! That was the best car service experience I've ever had. We're certain to visit Tony as often as we are in Charlotte again. Thanks, Pep Boys management for hiring Tony ** and placing him in the South Blvd. store 132. Pep Boys is the best!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I went to Pep Boys for an oil change on Sunday. Tuesday started hearing noises. It became loud. I called Pep Boys. They told me bring it in. I bought it in. They did a second oil change for free & added some other fluids without my consent. The noise continued after the second free oil change. I got it towed to a shop who told me I basically need an engine for lack of oil & I just received an oil change the car was already damaged before the second oil change. Never again. Now they trying to deny my claim & I'm without a car soon to be without a job with no transportation.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My wife and I needed air in our tire. I didn't have a tire gauge, so I stopped at Pep Boys to ask them to please put some air in the tire. At the counter, a new worker replied they would do it and to pull my car in front of the garage door. Another employee met me there and said they couldn't put air in because it was too cold to open and close the garage door. I went inside and the worker behind the counter said they don't open the garage door to put air in tires if it was below 20 degrees. It was 45 degrees!! He said that I could wait, but it would take 30 minutes.

I watched as 6 cars drove inside the garage door and the door opened and closed within 30 seconds each time. There was no reason to wait 30 minutes to get air in a tire. The employees were totally unprofessional and arrogant. The manager called me after I had contacted the headquarters to file a report. He said he was sorry. I asked him what corrective action would occur. He said it is an internal manner. In other words, absolutely nothing was going to be done. I would not recommend Pep Boys for any type of tires or repair. They would have gotten a zero rating if that was an option.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I took my 2009 Dodge Charger to them because I had a radiator leak. They told us our water pump was the problem. This was at the Pep Boys on South Florida Ave in Lakeland Florida. We waited about a week then called them back... They said their mechanic couldnt fix it, so they shipped my car to the North Lakeland Pep Boys without my permission. They claimed to fix it. When we got it home it was smoking. We paid them 1128.oo for nothing. We called them and they picked it up. They told us that our engine was damaged. Our car ran perfect before we took it to them at the beginning when we only had a radiator leak. Ok... They replaced the engine at no charge. We got it back about 3 weeks ago. This morning on my way to work it started smoking. They claim that engine has a 90 day warranty. This is the worst car repair experience I have ever had. I would advise anyone... Only go there for your tires. They are just not trustworthy in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I had my wheel alignment last September 26 2017. After 2 days I brought it back to them because my steering wheel was off to the right by 3 degrees. After a week I brought it back to them because my front passenger side tire was balding on its outer tire and I told them my steering wheel is still not even. As I'm writing this dated October 28 my problem is still not yet solve so I brought my car to another auto shop to have it fixed even though I still have a 90 days warranty.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Dropped off truck for a 12 noon appt to replace bad brake lines and have truck inspected at the Mechanicsburg, PA Pep Boys. Called Saturday night since no one had call me and was informed that they didn't have a chance to look at the truck. Called back Monday night again because no one called me and after 18 minutes on the phone I was told they needed to order the brake lines. Called again Tuesday night and was told the truck wouldn't be ready until Wednesday. Called back Wednesday night again because no one had call me and was told the brakes were completed but the PA inspection machine was broke and should be fixed Thursday morning.

I called once again Thursday night and they told me the truck inspection wasn't complete at which I told them I would just pick it up and go elsewhere but the kicker in the whole mess was that they told me the cash registers were closed so I would have to wait to get the truck Friday. Never again will I go to Pep Boys as this is the worst service by far that I have ever experienced at an auto shop. Hopefully for Pep Boys it's just the Mechanicsburg, PA store and not the norm at all locations.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Purchased set of 4 tires online and site convinced me with simple clicks I could have tires installed at store location. I will never deal with this company again. I received email confirmation of my purchase, scheduled time for my appointment and location address. However, when I arrived the tires hadn't been delivered (I was never notified). Plus this location didn't the equipment to do the alignment I ordered! Store was converted gas station, they have to take my car to another location for the alignment. Manager said this had happened before tires not delivered, no notification to customer, website not aware of services available at locations. Since I had ALREADY PAID for the tires there was nothing I could do but leave and come back once the tires were delivered. Waste of time. PEP BOYS is marketing scam. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. For me I'm telling everyone I know. Don't bother dealing with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I took my car to Visalia, CA Pep Boys in September for an oil change and brake check as they were squeaking and squealing pretty badly. I was told it was fine. Then a month later, brakes now grinding, I go in and now need all 4 pads and two rear rotors to the tune of 800 dollars. I will never go to Pep Boys again. As it was I paid my nephew 250 for parts and labor to do it in his driveway. Total rip off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had electric charging problem, have to jump every time so went to the Pep Boys, because I always go there for tire replacement and oil change for a long time. They said battery and alternator need replaced with new one, but battery was replaced with new one just month before and alternator price was very high, so I bought one from O'Reilly auto part and let Pep Boys installed, but not working good.

They said have to replace with other new one, this time I bought one from Pep Boys' expensive one and let them install. Not working good too, that time service manager said it must be not alternator and told me they are very busy. Even can't test what's wrong and told me come back some other time, with very rude accent. So I ask them to jump my car and come home and next day went to car electric shop, they find easily what's the problem and fix it with little money, problem was not alternator from the beginning, but Pep Boys are just try to make easy money and told me, "You have bad battery, you have bad alternator" etc. If you have some car problem don't trust Pep Boys. They know nothing but changing tire or oil. I just lost $409.37 for nothing. Invoice picture prove I'm telling truth.

I'm posting this for somebody don't know about car problem like me. Don't be cheated from well-known car repair shop.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Date of appointment July 2, 2017. Patchogue # **. I went to Pep Boys for an oil change, filter and spark plugs. I also requested that they check and replenish all fluids. I wanted them to be sure to check the coolant levels since the engine temperature warning light was flashing. Customer service was very disinterested. I had the first appointment of the day. My car was not looked at for an hour. When I received my bill it was not even the correct one. They were very disorganized. They made me wait for four hours. When I questioned them on the time, they seemed to have forgotten my car. When I left, my car was not running any better. There was no difference. The engine temp light was still flashing. It did not seem right. After this, my car performance was no better. I could not drive it much.

One month later I went for an inspection in my neighborhood. I updated him on the recent servicing and that the temp light was still flashing. Well, he told me that the car was down 3 quarts of oil. Impossible if I had just had an oil change. No leaks. Short infrequent trips. To my surprise, I was also short 2 gallons of coolant. No evidence that any of the work that I requested from Pep Boys was ever done. In fact, I left Pep Boys with less oil than I had before the appointment. My appointment for service at Pep Boys was a waste of my time and money. Pep Boys purposely scammed me or are egregiously incompetent. Pep Boys stole my money and put me and my car at risk.

At this point I don't know what harm has been done by them because of their malpractice and negligence. Immediately, I tried to call Pep Boys. The Patchogue store, Corporate number and social media. I could not get through. Same day, I put a dispute of charges with my credit card, Macy's/American Express. Now a few weeks later they closed the case, only getting the price of the oil back for me- 10.95. No other explanation. What about the spark plugs and oil filter, and labor charges? Should have used my Visa. They are more thorough. What can I do now?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Had brakes put on months ago... Grinding already. Went in now. Pep Boys own the place. My warranty is now not in computer... My address was. My car no warranty. I was told to go get paper warranty... That's what computer is for. Besides the damn brakes was no good. I went, bought them and paid mechanic to do the job... Never will I use just brakes again. Looking at all the bad reviews... Something needs to be done. Maybe why it's Pep Boys now!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

If I could give them zero stars I would. I took my son's Envoy XL to them to have the ac repaired on 5/22/2017. I told them it was working, but blowing hot air and I thought it must have a freon leak. They asked if I had a diagnostic run on it to determine what was wrong with it. I told them no. So, they recommended that I have one done. I agreed. They called me and told me that it wasn't the ac. It was the clutch fan motor that needed to be replaced. They quoted me $260 for the parts & $300 for the labor. When I picked it up the bill was nearly $800!

They charged me $330 for the labor and $264 for the parts, plus they included a $35 shop fee that was never disclosed to me. They also automatically included the extended warranty (rip off). I had them remove that. My bill was $713.79. I paid and figured, well at least his ac is working. He pulled out of the driveway and called me immediately to tell me his ac was still blowing hot air. I called them back and their reply, "Well, it was working when we test drove it!" "Well, it's not now" I said. So, they told me to bring it back tomorrow.

Round 2: I took it back and was told it needed assorted other hoses and such replaced. I inquired why this was not discovered with their DIAGNOSTIC! Their reply, "I don't know ma'am. I wasn't the manager working then. He is no longer with us. I'll have to check into that." I guess when they discovered the clutch fan motor wasn't working they figured that would fix it and didn't look any further. "Ok," I said, "go ahead and fix it". Went to pick it up, $281.36. Again, I was charged the $35 shop fee for shop towels and degreasers, etc. I asked them since it was their fault I had to come back a 2nd time in 2 days could they waive that fee as a courtesy. Their reply, "No ma'am, we have to charge that fee every time!" Needless to say I was mad, but agreed and left.

Round 3: 4 days later, "Mom, my ac is blowing hot air!" I called them back. "Well, it was working when we test drove it. I guess you need to bring it back in and we'll look at it." REALLY??? I take it back. This time they call me and tell me there is a hole in the condenser and it will be over $900 to fix it! Again, I asked them, "How did you not catch this on the previous two visits?" Their reply, "Ma'am, I don't know. I wasn't the manager that worked on it. I'll have to look into that!" That's a canned response. Oh, they also had the nerve to suggest that maybe a rock hit the condenser the 4 days he drove it and knocked a hole in it!" They're ridiculous! Obviously, I told them, "Absolutely not!!! I will come pick it up and take it somewhere it can be fixed. If I agreed, you will just tell me next time that it's something else."

Bottom line, I took it to LeeRoy Thomason at Professional Automotive @ 4401 W Jackson St. 850-458-9322. He immediately diagnosed the hole in the condenser. He also discovered that the ac was not working to the back part of the truck and ordered a part for that and replaced that for the part cost only. His total charge for everything, including the extra work to get the back ac working was $700+. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was less than $800. Their quote to just replace the condenser was over $900, and of course that didn't include the SHOP FEE OF $35, their warranty (Ha! Ha!), and taxes and such. It would have been well over $1k on top of the $1k I already paid them.

Sorry for the essay, but people need to know to avoid this place like the plague. There is a reason they have 1 star. I was going to contact corporate, but they have low ratings as well. I'm guessing it's because they don't stand behind their work. By the way, I disputed the charges with my credit card company and Pep Boys has the nerve to say that because I signed for the work that meant I accepted it and it was working. NO, they make you sign when you pay in order to give you your keys. Sorry! That doesn't prove anything. Then, they say if you aren't happy you can bring it back and we'll check it again for free. REALLY? I took mine back twice after the initial visit. They may check it for free, but they won't repair it for free! It will cost you dearly.

Take note Pep Boys! This is not over. If this cannot be resolved with my credit card company I will see you in small claims court over this. You need to stop ripping people off. This is one person that will not stop until I receive restitution!!! I have never disputed a claim for services rendered in my life. But this is such a blatant rip off that I could not take it! I gave you two opportunities to fix an ac. If you don't have the skills to fix things then just say it! Stop selling parts in an attempt to find the solution!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My husband and I have bought tires for our vehicles several times, but today I had a screw in my tire and went to Pep Boys to have it fixed. We bought the road hazard with our purchase, but when I went to have it fixed not 1 but all 3 pep boys in my area did not have time to fix it, each said I would have to make a next day appointment. I explained to each one, that I was rapidly losing air, but they didn't seem to care. I guess once they get the money, after service doesn't matter! I ended up going to a local tire shop and paid $10. I will never buy tires from them again!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My van was towed to Pep Boys because it had leaked all the transmission oil out. The tow truck driver did not tow it to where I wanted it to be towed but took it to Pep Boys. They said it would be over $900 to repair. They wanted over $300 for the part. I looked it up. The part was only 62 at Auto Zone. I also called the dealer and found out it was only an hour job. I found another shop to repair my van for $160. Pep Boys are a total rip off. They tried to rip me off because I am a handicapped woman and living on social security.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I want people to be aware to not take your car for service at any location with this company. I just found out about my Carfax record that Pep Boys deliberately put an incorrect car mileage several times on my car when I had my car alternator, and battery replaced at one of their location in Plantation. I would so love to sue this company because it screwed me up a big time when I'm trying to sell my car, it's showing an inconsistent mileage numbers.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have had a horrible experience with Pep Boys in Memphis TN. They received my car 7/6/17 and as of today, 7/28/17 they still have my car. When they accepted my car for repair, they only had a part time Tech, coming in after 5 pm for repairs. One week later they tell me my engine is blown. This part time Tech leaves and my car sets in their shop for another week before they tell me they need to order engine, however once engine is received they still don't have a Tech.

When I express my concern with their manager, he tells me he can't help. They cannot find someone to hire as full time tech. By the end of that week he is telling me they need to move my car and replacement engine to another Pep Boys location where they have full time tech. My car is still not repaired. They act unconcerned and unprofessional. They never should have accepted my car in the first place. I will never use this repair shop again and I would not recommend them for anyone else: not even for routine maintenance. Their managers James, Robert and Ron are just crooks.

Original review: July 28, 2017

27 July, 2017 -- Completed a rebuild of my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 front suspension 2 days ago. Took it 2 miles up the road to have the front end aligned the next day (yesterday). I asked the guy if he had any good deals on tires and he told me several promotions had just finished and new ones would start soon. Check back in a couple of weeks. This was a local tire company, not Pep Boys. But, it was very close and I didn't want to drive far because I knew the alignment was way off from all the parts I had replaced.

Last night I checked a few websites looking for tire deals. Pep Boys had a Cooper Adventurer H/T buy 3 get the 4th free. The subtotal listed on the website came to $519.28 including the $85 installation charge. I knew there would be added fees for, at least, old tire disposal, + tax. I was expecting to get out the door for less than $600. So, I go there this morning. The manager said, "Sure, we can get you in after this tire repair." He went out and got the info he needed from my truck. I told him which tires I wanted and he had them in stock. Things are looking good.

He starts off saying the total is well over $900!!! But, that includes an alignment. I said, "I don't need that, it was aligned yesterday." He asked, "where?" Huh? I told him and he said, "we will check it anyway and show you the readout." I said, "fine, but I don't want an alignment." So, then he quotes a lower price, without an alignment. Then he takes off the price of the 4th tire but were still in the $700 range. He said that includes Road Hazard. I said, "I don't want road hazard, I want the tires and installation, that's all I want." He tells me how wonderful Road Hazard is and I still say I don't want it. Then he tells me that buying Road Hazard is often the "kicker" for the sales prices, if you don't buy it, you don't get the sale price.

I asked if that was the case here. He said he couldn't tell me, he was off for 2 weeks and just returned to work. There was another employee standing behind the counter also but he never said a word. The manager said "the way this works" is after the work is done and they ring up the transaction then the system decides what sale prices you may get depending on what you bought and what was done. I said, "do you can't give me a total price ahead of time?" He said, "I can give you a "ballpark amount!"" I told him no thanks and left.

I went several miles down the road to an AutoZone to return the ball joint press I had borrowed from them. The manager there asked me how it had worked and what all I had done on my truck. I told him, and told him I had an alignment done and how the truck now drove like brand new. Then I told him I had been to Pep Boys to try and buy tires for it. His eyes got real big and he said I never deal with them anymore. Then he proceeded to tell me about his daughter taking in a '93 Geo Metro (3 cyl) for a tune-up and ended up paying over $600!!!

Finally, I went to Walmart, about 1 mile from the Pep Boys for tires. The guy there told me exactly what the cost would be, didn't try to push extra sales, had the tires I wanted in stock (different brand than Pep Boys) and he could get to it in about 15 minutes. Walked around the store a bit, they called my name over the intercom and I went and paid exactly what was quoted. Easy, and no hassles.

The point I am trying to make about Pep Boys, from my experience, and from several other folks I talked to today, is that they try to make you feel like you "need" additional parts or services; that you just don't understand what you really need, but they do! In 44 years of driving, I have never destroyed a tire that had to be replaced. I have gotten flats, which I repair myself. I have no desire, or need, to purchase Road Hazard insurance on a set of tires. If I do, somehow destroy a tire, I will buy a replacement. However, it is my choice and I base my decision on experience, not sales talk. If I don't want my front end aligned, that is my decision, whether it was aligned yesterday or 12 years ago.

The employees at Pep Boys must work on commission. That is the only reason I can fathom as to why they push so hard to sell you things you don't really want, or need... So, that's my story. I got out of there while the getting was good and I will not go back to Pep Boys again. I strongly recommend you do some research before ever walking through their doors to buy tires or have repair work done.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I would like to know why it costs more money to for a service that I am giving Pep Boys than it would if I bought the product on my own. I recently had a new compressor installed in my vehicle which cost $400.00 dollars when they installed it but it would only cost $250.00 if I purchased it in the store. This has to be illegal. I am paying them to do a service for me. This should be less expensive than if I were to fix the problem on my own. Something needs to be done about this.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Brought to an online-scheduled oil change appointment, a flyer and a coupon for $49 Mobile One Synthetic Oil change. Confirmed the $49 price with the service dept. guy, gave him the flyer and the coupon. When the work was finished (and the coupon applied), I was presented with a $74 bill, plus tax. I requested to talk to manager, but was denied. Instead, I was given a ridiculous offer to drain the filled oil and uninstall the filter, to receive a partial refund. Never was I in a situation like this before at any auto service place. Unacceptable is too soft a word for this.

Original review: July 22, 2017

On July 21, 2017, I tried to change oil and tire rotation Pep boys; they did oil change but did not rotate my tires. I went Pep Boys on 2992 Forest Ln Dallas, TX 75234. I complain the issue for manager but, he is not willing to do tire rotation. Rip off and liars! I complain customer service but they did not respond to me. I will not go anymore Pep boys. Rip off and liars!

Original review: July 17, 2017

My engine light was so I took it to Pep Boys (Stratford NJ) to have it checked out. They charged me $90 plus tax to run diagnostics, ok that is high but I needed to know what was going on. Of course they call and try to sell me a bunch of overpriced services so I declined and went to pick up the car. When I drove it home, it was much worse than when I bought in. Almost no power, runs much rougher than before and looks like they took a hammer to the engine. I called to complain and they said they would look at it right now, the car was not in the lot! I reminded the guy that we had drove it home and the car was not there so he wanted me to schedule another service visit! I paid $90 for Pep Boys to make my car worse, I will never bring another car back to these incompetent mechanics. Do not trust them with your car.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Went to PB Jimmy Carter for oil change, before the day's end, I could not shift gears in my 5-speed at all. So, I demanded that they tow the car back to the shop and determine if they'd drained out the transaxle fluid or punctured something "by mistake," a practice which PB has been suspected of, along with the company lying about what need in order to upcharge or bait and switch. (Online reviews are so bad that PBs is undergoing a name change.) Regardless, the 1790 mgr. Ricardo, spoke to his mgr, Jeff, and they agreed to pay to Tow the car back in. They attempted to then show me proof that they'd made no error.

Before this though, Ricardo claimed to have told me about a leak. That was my 4th conversation with the shop, after the oil change. That was ABSOLUTELY untrue. What is true, according to a mechanic I trust, is that the leak my guy found today in the slave cylinder was probably not caused by PB. My guy (Harris at Lilvurn Chevron) can't see a connection and HIM, I believe. So, since PB gave permission and paid to tow me to a transmission specialist (I chose a set of mechanics I have known forever vs. AAMCO). The fix is a $300 fix, and while I can't help wondering about such a coincidence and I will not return to PB, I believe that their mechanic, Alex, did not create the leak, especially since PB had nothing to gain as they do not do transmission repairs. I will apologize.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I had scheduled an appointment for my vehicle online in advance. I received confirmation on my appointment for June 24, 2017 at 9 AM. When I arrived for my appointment, service rep Brian stated that they do not have it. After I provided my tracking #** he located it but it was alleged canceled. I never canceled my appointment. Brian stated he could not accommodate me because they are overbooked. I complained to Pep Boys complaint department. Several days later, a regional manager contacted me by phone. All I received was excuses about their computer issues and not enough technicians. He apologized but NEVER CORRECTED the day I lost. I will never go to a Pep Boys again!!! To think I was a lifelong friend and rewards card member for decades. Shame on PEP BOYS INCORPORATED. APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I ordered a tow hitch online from Pep Boys. I sold the vehicle before it arrived. It was no problem to send it back. But, getting the refund is like pulling teeth!! It has been two weeks and I still haven't been refunded for the part. I called them and they told me three business days not counting weekends. It’s been past the three business days so I called them. They said I should have it by the end of the day... two days later still no refund!! So I call them again... they said 5-7 business days. Well it’s past that and still no refund... I'm still waiting for the refund. I gave up calling them. It does no good at all... I will never buy anything from Pep Boys ever again!!

Original review: June 25, 2017

I already had a light bulb for my car. They wanted $44 to put a light bulb on my car. What a joke and so I left the store. This is the store on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo NY.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information