Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.12/5

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: April 6, 2020

Customer service is outstanding and they open up early. But they are a little pricey. I love this store and its location. I had a donut spare on my vehicle and could not drive it to work. Pep Boys open up early about 8:30am and that time was great for me. They finished my old tire in a timely manner. I was at work by 9:30am.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Pep Boys auto in Bear, DE, has a "Top Notch" Repair Manager named Katy **. Katy knows automotive repair requirements and she treats her customers with respect. She will offer competitive prices to other repair shops-and she will stand behind the work she recommended to be performed. Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman!

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Made an appointment online and took my car in for State Inspection, oil change and brake pad replacement. They took the car in on time and it was serviced in a reasonably quick time. The waiting room was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy and had coffee or tea available. The work performed was quite good and I should say, I am a happy repeat customer here.

Original review: March 22, 2020

The process was simple and quick, waiting room was okay. They have done other services for me in the past. This was an oil change, I have also bought tires and batteries from them. I used to go only to Kia but they have not done what I came to expect since moving to Agusta.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Full confession - I grew up in my Dad's auto shop business, and after working for 40 years as an engineer doing my own work became difficult. I had put off a long list of issues but finally took my car to the Lilburn Georgia Pep Boys. The first round of work was costly but deservedly so. Several issues were corrected plus a couple of "surprise" ones. A few miles down the road there arose such a clatter - a couple of old springs decided to give their lives to the roadway. I returned to Pep Boys and they ran all over town to find the needed parts, they fixed it and there was no charge. Incredible!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I needed parts and after stopping an employee and asking where to find the part, all l got was "NO HABLO INGLES!" They should lose their license to operate! Or AT LEAST a HUGE fine! THIS IS AMERICA!???? NEEDLESS TO SAY I TOOK MY BUSINESS WHERE I WAS ABLE TO GET HELP!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Tulsa OK doesn't adjust headlights. Whether you buy them from them or otherwise. This was on an older truck, 2001 Chevy Silverado. And I Spoke to Joann at Admiral & spoke to ** in person at 6714 S. Memorial Drive Tulsa Ok 74133. He said they don't have the tool.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I recently had a screw puncturing my 2 year old Toyota Highlander with 28k miles on it. Took the tire off the vehicle and brought it to Pep Boys in KOP PA. The service Desk told me there is nothing they can do about fixing the flat and I had to buy a new tire. I left the place and don't intend to go back ever again. Took the tire to my mechanic and he charged me $10, to remove the bold and repair the flat.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I had gone to Pep Boys in Phoenix back in January and had really great service. I needed two new tires and decided to go back. I scheduled an appointment over the phone and the next day I took off of work for my scheduled time just to be told the tires weren't in and I would need to come back. The manager had verbally told me for my troubles, he would give me $25 off. This was on a Friday so I scheduled for Monday morning. I took off work yet again...only to arrive with the store being closed and a sign saying it was closed all week. I then called customer service only to be told it had shut down indefinitely that Saturday. This was all back in June. Speaking to customer service and explaining that I had to take off work 2x and I somehow wish to be compensated. A couple of emails saying they will "defer to a different department and get back with me" and this is mid July and haven't heard back. This is the kind of business they run.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I was told at the Toyota dealership during a recall procedure that I needed to replace my car's battery. I thought I could save a few bucks by taking my car to Pep Boys instead of having Toyota do it. Well, right away, I could tell something was off. The car wouldn't start right up after Pep Boys put in a new battery. It would turn over a couple of times and hesitate before the car would start. During an oil change at another facility, I asked the guy to take a look at the battery I had just had replaced and see if he could figure out why my car wasn't starting right up. He found that Pep Boys had put in a very small battery of the wrong series and hadn't even secured it in place. The tie rod that was supposed to keep it secure was flapping loose.

I went back to Pep Boys and they said maybe they could scrounge around and find a battery that fit the car and told me to call them back the next day. Instead, I went back to Toyota and had the right battery put in within an hour. Pep Boys is not a bargain when you experience the poor quality of their products and their incompetent service work. I will never go back.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information