3.8/5 (576 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Had a 4-wheel alignment done. Didn't receive a report. The technician failed to be inform management that the inc was out on the printer. This report was to be the foundation for my 300.00 Dollar claim at the previous shop. I guess that's the last time I went there for service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I went to Pep Boys Stelton Rd, Piscataway, NJ on Dec 21st with a small noise issue in my car from front. They said it's a suspension and strut issue that needs to be fixed as well as all tires need to be replaced. I explained them that one of the Cooper tire was brand new and was bought from them just 2 months back. Manager confirmed that this new tire can be used as spare tire and they will put this in my trunk.

Once I got the car this new tire was not present as spare, when I checked another employee he said they just threw all tires and manager didn't instruct them anything. On Reaching out to manager next day 3rd time over phone he conveniently told that tire internals were bad. I countered saying new tire was not even used for 300-400 miles, to which he replied, "If you drive Uber it may be." I explained I don't drive Uber and at this point Pep Boys manager starts talking rude and said he can provide the tire back and cut the the phone. I would definitely not believe him on this and neither pick up the tire now as he would definitely provide any tire to prove his point. I just feel manager thought he can just provide any dumb explanation anything and get away with it which he couldn't. I am not going to go to any Pep Boys center after this experience.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

Terrible experience at Pep Boys. I had a terrible experience and Unprofessional conversation at the Pep Boys at 1400 Furtive Pk, Lancaster, PA 17601. I went to Pep Boys just for an oil change. After the Oil was changed, I drove my car for a few days. It started a burning smell.... The manufacturer later discovered that the Pep Boys Mechanic who changed the Oil in my car forgot to put the cap back on the Oil tank.... As a result, Oil was flooding everywhere in the engine, in the exhaust, etc. So much mess in my car.... I thank God I haven't had an accident. Yet, PepBoys has incurred an additional cost to fix my RAVA 4 Hybrid car.

What made the matter worse was I went to the store and complained about the mess and the damage to my car; yet the manager was unprofessional, arguing with me in a high tone, and finally, he told me to sue Pep Boys. I said OK and went out.... I can sue the company if the issue is not resolved well. Because what I just want is for Pep Boys to reimburse me for the damage to the insulator under the hood and the cleaning-up cost.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

We had a tire valve that wouldn't shut, so we took it to Pep Boys in Marlton, NJ. We dropped it off at 4pm on a Sunday. 24 hours later, I called to find out if the simple valve replacement had been done. I was then told "they can't find the car". After I gave them an earful about not being able to find the car, I called back a few hours later. They hadn't bothered to call me if there was some issue (which there wasn't), and then said they couldn't complete the work until the next day. I for one will NEVER go back there for ANYTHING. They're awful! It's too bad that one star is the lowest rating; I would have given them a zero.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Old, uninformed and vulnerable customers -- please do your research before you get anything done at Pep Boys, 101 Lincoln Hwy, Fairless Hills, PA 19030. Got charged $1015 + Tax for Brake pads & rotors -- the same services can be done at dealer for $900 all inclusive and 750, all inclusive at a Pep Boys 2 miles down the road or another service place. Oil pan and gasket - 550 +tax. I cannot think of a better term than highway robbery for these prices. --

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Updated on 10/22/2022: Well I've already made one review on Pep Boys about them catching my truck on fire. It is now going on the end of October and they still have my truck since April 3rd. Still I feel like I'm getting Mickey mouse around. I get told the same story repeatedly. Technically they don't know what's wrong with it. It's in pieces. They can't fix it. I have no confidence in this place whatsoever. Haven't for quite a while. Just don't go there. It's bad.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

To whom it may concern, I have had the worst experience ever with Pep Boys. I am going to write a Google review and Four Square review to warn others of the poor service and deceptive business practices. As you can see I paid almost $175 for an oil change and air filter that was to include other services under the Manager's special. We brought my wife's car in at 10am Saturday 9/24/22 and waited for 2 customers ahead of us which is fine. I was asked if I will wait or drop the car off. I advised I will drop it off and was told it will be ready in the afternoon in a few hours. I was told I would receive a call. I sat in my home until 3pm checking your app on my phone to see if the work had even started and nothing. I waited another 2 hours and the app still showed nothing.

By 6:30 I told my wife, "Let's go and pick it up and take it someplace else on Sunday because this place appears to be unreliable and has already deceived us." We arrived at 7pm and saw that they had just placed the car on the hydraulic and since they were closing at 8pm I decided to watch them through the window from within the store. I watched them change the oil, and add a gasoline additive to the car, I saw the air filter changed but the tires were never touched and the car was not sanitized as advertised either. I did not really care about sanitizing the car but a tire rotation, brake inspection was all part of the deal and no tires were removed. I was already angry from being lied to about the time but kept my cool and told the cashier/service person that the tires were never removed and rotated.

What makes me even angrier is that you can see that figures were entered on the sheet as if the tires were removed, rotated and brakes inspected. What if there was a problem with my wife's brakes? If her brakes would fail after this you know I would do the same thing you would do; I would call my family attorney and sue for punitive treble damages. I was told I could come back to have the tires rotated; because of our schedules and patient loads we have no time during the week so I returned yesterday after lunch. I was only looking for a tire rotation because the last time I took her car to Honda and all was well. Since I was deceived and caught them in the act I assumed they could do a quick tire rotation and I would have been happy and done with this. That did not happen. I was told it will be several hours. I asked what time they open on Sunday and was advised 8am.

We returned for a 3rd time today, Sunday and arrived at 8:08am. I waited 2 customers and was told the same thing that it will take several hours, I was livid at this point but did not display outwardly how angry I was. I told the salesperson forget it and I started to take back my paperwork from the salesperson and he held the paperwork more tightly and I finally just pulled it from his hands and told my wife I know what to do next and we left. Now you know why I am going to put a copy of this email to you as well as on your review board, Google reviews and any other reviews.

If I treated my patients the way you treat your customers I would probably have many deceased patients. I will never return to Pep Boys because of your poor customer service and deceptive business practices. How many people have been to Pep Boys and dropped off their vehicles and assumed their tires were rotated, brakes inspected or even oil checked. Is this how you make a profit?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I had Pep Boys do a complete inspection. They told me I needed to replace 6 Coils and 6 Spark Plugs. I had that done and it was about $1,000.00. The check engine light went on again. I went back to Pep Boys. They stated now it was the Turbo Body after another inspection. I cleaned Turbo Body and the check engine light cleared. The original issue with cylinder 1 misfire check engine light went back on. I went back again because the original issue came back on with cylinder 1 misfire. They did another inspection and they stated it was a bad spark plug that they put in that was brand new that you can see part of it was melted but still on warranty.

About a month later the car broke down on 120 hwy and you can see smoke. At that point I was frustrated with Pep Boys and decided to call a mobile mechanic. The mobile mechanic informed me it was the coil that burnt and cracked the black thing that sits on top of the coil. He said because of the bad coil this can have electrical short and damage to the engine. He told me to take a lot of pictures before taking it back to Pep Boys. Stated that if they don't take care of it he would take them to small claims. I took it back to Pep Boys. Told them what the mobile mechanic said. It was a bad coil that started the crack the black piece that sits inside the coil that caused it to burn and smoke and may have a short or worse. They called and stated that it was the negative battery cable and the battery and it would be about $400.00 for both parts. I told them I wanted someone who knows what they are doing to check the car. They called me back and said it was the engine that is bad. What the!!!!

I asked for details what they meant by that. The Following day I called and talked to the Office Manager who was on vacation. Stated that she would find out. The next day she told me Dave the District Manager sent his Super technician to inspect the car and he told her the cause of engine failure was because of a tune up that caused the engine to fail. I had an inspection 3 times and they missed all three times. Sara (sp) the office Manager stated that wasn't the issue 5 months ago. This is recent? Again what the!!!! 3 Inspections still bad coils and still under warranty and stated they replaced oils and spark plugs because it was still under warranty but now have a bad engine.

Pep Boys use to be good, Not anymore. If I could give a negative number I would. Do not use them. I am planning to take them to small claims. I am not knowledgeable or mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but this is not fair. I will not ever use them again. Date of experience: August 31, 2022.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Oscar at Pep Boys in Albuquerque is not only their top mechanic, he is someone who actually cares. Traveling from TN to AZ my daughter and I pulled in to have our battery checked here. The mechanic on duty was helpful and kind. He determined our alternator was probably bad. The manager informed us though, he would not be able to look at our vehicle the following day as they were totally booked. He did however tell us we could keep our car in the garage there until we could get someone to get it, as it would not start since they asked us to shut it off.

We were in an unfamiliar area and had our suitcases at hand standing outside pep boys with my two granddaughters. We had to call around to find a hotel and an Uber to get to it. We tried several shops and no one was available to get our car serviced. Knowing we had to get it out of their garage, we called a towing company. The next morning we went to meet the tow truck, not knowing where in the world we were going to get it towed too. We stepped into pep boys to tell them we were having a tow truck come. That’s when Oscar stepped out with a big friendly smile and asked us if we wanted him to fix it.

He asked us a few questions about the car, said he could have it done in 2 to 3 hours and stated he had the time on his schedule and would be happy to help. He recognized our situation and said it was no problem. We were so happy and relieved. Thank goodness for people like Oscar! He took time to take notice and step in and help where help was needed, rather than turn people away not giving a crap about the circumstances They may be in. A lot of the time, titles mean nothing. You can be a manager, a boss, the list goes on and on, but being a decent human being and being kind to others like Pete and Oscar did for us, that is what leaves a lasting impression with customers. Pep boys in Albuquerque needs to give recognition to Oscar, he was like an angel for us that day. We are forever grateful for his expertise and most of all his kind manner.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Driving in clover SC and got a tire warning, pulled into pep boys and they immediately took care of it, really friendly and efficient staff, absolutely no complaints, would definitely be back whenever there's a need.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information