Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: April 4, 2021

I had a knock in my right rear wheel area. I got an estimate for $2,600.00 which included brakes in front shocks, struts and many things else. I declined to have the repair done. The attendant convinced me to have the rear shocks replace only. After $482.33 I left with the exact knock, I wanted to be repaired. I went back to speak to the Manager and after he reviewed the matter he suggested that I spend only $1,300.00 more and the noise will be fixed. I will live with the noise. The store was in Apopka on No 2000 Hwy 436.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I had a slow leak on one of the tires on my car due to a puncture. I went to Pep Boys but they were booked up for the day. So, I made an appointment to go back the next day. With an appointment and after waiting for 2 hours, they couldn't get to my car. The reason they gave me was that they were waiting for authorization from Fleet. I had to leave for another important appointment but called Fleet myself to verify how long they would need to authorize a service request. They told me the authorization was given right away. Pep Boys lied but one of their associates actually cared enough to call me back at a later time telling that they finally got authorization from Fleet, and that I should go back the next morning 15 minutes before they open to get service right away.

Meanwhile, the slow leak worsened and my tire suddenly became completely flat. I had to put on the spare tire on roadside. I returned to the shop the next morning and was the first one in line but guess what, they told me that they wouldn't be able to get to my car and I must drop off my car. I wasn't going to leave my car with them not knowing when my tire would get fixed. Three trips to Pep Boys, two of which with appointments and one even with pre-authorization, my tire remained flat! Something is seriously messed up at Pep Boys and I am done with them for life!

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Crooked management. Will take advantage of women without hesitation. Took my car in for a simple tire rotation and by the time they finished with their analysis I supposedly needed $2000 in repairs. The manager sucks and should be fired. I left and took my car to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong with the car. Crooks, dishonest. Do not let them touch your car.

Original review: March 5, 2021

The technicians at Pep Boys tried sneaking in additional charges for services I did not agree to. When I called them on it, they damaged my suspension and then tried to cover it up by changing the language on my dashboard. The brand new tires I purchased from them were ruined within less than a month of purchase. Then they had a Mr. ** call to suggest I take it back to a Pep boys location. I explained to him that I was not in comfortable or in agreement due to the nature of the overall situation. He then told me he would have to make a claim in order to have the truck towed and looked at by another company. Long story short, he's been avoiding my calls and instead of owning up to his part, he had someone else make a phony statement on BBB website to avoid being held liable for additional damages or repairs. I will see them in court. If you are considering taking your vehicle to this "chop shop", DRIVE AWAY while you still can.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I purchased a 5Qt container of Mobil 5W30, with a $10 mail in rebate. PepBoys is not PepBoys anymore, only the service center is. The receipt contains the info required for the rebate form, so I was told! Only 2 of the 4 requirements, are on the receipt given! Which they are aware of. The intent on not paying a rebate created by the former company is obvious. I guess purchasing auto parts and supplies from PepBoys for over 30 years, does not mean a whole lot, in this day and age of no accountability!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Had the Pep Boys in Tulsa, OK. (6714 S. Memorial) them replace the rear brakes and rotors on my Chevy pickup truck end of October 2020. Spent approx $340.00. Brought back a couple weeks later advised them that brakes don't feel right. They inspected and said all OK. Shortly thereafter brakes began to go metal against metal. Brought back in and advised that a caliper froze and that I would have to spend another $800 to replace brakes, rotors and calipers. Had only put 700 miles on prior new brakes. He said caliper pin froze, I would argue that they were installed incorrectly. Have never had this type of issue when replacing brakes in past. When I inquired to manager of who to call to address he advised that they will most likely tell me the same thing he was telling me ("nothing I can do").

Sent note to Customer service via their website but have received no response. Wife sent letter to CEO and response was one sentence; "Did you contact the location?". Shocking! Now forced to send review to let others know to avoid this business. The few $ they would save to fix my problem will most likely cost them tenfold plus in future business. For example, while we have been dealing with this, my daughter's car needed two tires replaced. Rather than go to Pep Boys as I have done in past I spent my money elsewhere.

Not a very good business decision. "Save a penny, lose a dollar'. Efforts to resolve and/or even talk with someone in Customer Service included completing request to contact on their website, contacting via phone and even filing a Google review. All to no avail. Shocking lack of customer service. Please stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Good Afternoon; I made an appointment for 7 February 2021 at 11am and dropped my car off at 1030. It is 1pm and my car has not even been pulled into the garage to be looked at. There is no manager to talk to and everyone gives me a shrugged shoulder. The Pep Boys in question is the store in Dover Delaware. Stay away from Pepboys. It is no longer Manny, Moe, and Jack.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Store #33... Purchased a battery prior to the pandemic. Reputable "champion" 30month battery that cost 154 dollars. Recently had the battery die on me at 13 or maybe 14 months. Found my receipt but Pepboys' ink on their receipts fades after a few months- tried to locate it in store "via their system" which was "down"... They updated their system prior to the holidays still not able to find my purchase in their computer. 6 to 8 weeks for an "update"? As a loyal customer of 22 years I can honestly say I'm done with this chain. I have 2 more auto parts places within a half mile which will be receiving my business from here on out. Save your time & money & go to AutoZone or advanced. Pep boys has really declined over the past few years - sad. No wonder why they're struggling against their competitors.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Purchased the part Pep Boys listed as being for our vehicle. Part they listed wasn't even close to being right but even though it was their mistake they refused to accept the return new in box with the original packing.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I took a car to get a front end alignment and worsted then it was when I took it there. The steering wheel is not even straight, shaking going down the road. So yeah DONT GO THERE TO SAVE YOUR MONEY. THE ONE IN MADISON TN.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information