Find an Auto Service and Repair partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The Pep Boys service center I visited had friendly and knowledgeable staff that was able to give me an accurate time estimate for a battery replacement for my vehicle. The prices are in line and reasonable within the industry with a no frills, no up-sell on services. They are among the very few service centers I can trust short of going to the manufacturer's dealership.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Fast service, reasonable prices, friendly and professional. I have always had great service at Pep Boys. I recommend them for all your automotive needs. Pep Boys has everything you might need from tires to seat covers. A+.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2021

It was a pleasure working with Pep Boys on 57th Ave in Hialeah. I had the privilege of working with Alberto **. He had great customer service and made my experience quick and easy. I would recommend pep boys to anyone looking for new tires.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Dj ** was very helpful. I was having a bad day and he made it better with his knowledge of my vehicle the issues and His wonderful customer service. I will recommend all of my friends to go to Pep Boys in Elmhurst, NY!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I am never returning and wish I could provide 0 or negative number of stars for the review. I went to the PepBoys near me regularly because it is so close to my house. However, I keep having multiple bad experiences and will never return. They first took out my cabin air filter and later realized they didn’t have a new one compatible with my car (which is a standard Nissan Versa). They threw out the old one so didn’t replace it and never told me so I drove around with no filter at all for months before realizing.

Then, I went again and set up an appointment for the first morning slot so I wouldn’t have to wait. The mechanic was an hour and a half late. Then, they claimed I needed new wiper blades but I had just changed them three days before. When I told them, they said, “oh yeah, you’re right.” The next day after the oil change, my car began and is still (now months later) making weird noises when I drive between 30-60mph. Lastly, I made an appointment for an oil change today at 9. They told me they were busy and wouldn’t be able to start service for about 2 hours. I pretty much returned today to ask what they had done to my car last time. I left and went to Mr. Tire and they are awesome and honest and helped me right away.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

Took my vehicle in for an oil change at Pep Boys in Bartlett, Tn. Was told that it would be about an hour. At the 2-hour Mark I asked for my keys so I can leave and get to work. I was then told that it wouldn't be too much longer so I stayed. 20 minutes later I asked for the keys again and was told the oil pan screw had been stripped and I would have to get another which was on the way from the parts store. At this point it's pretty clear they're trying to keep me here for whatever reason. I watch the truck pull up with the part and 30 to 40 minutes later I was out.

Fast forward 2 weeks and my oil gauge is on empty. This is odd since I just got the oil changed. I don't see any oil stains in the driveway but I know previously oil was being burned quickly but not lost. So I take it back to pep boys and ask them to check it out because they were the last ones to touch it. they said it will be $45 to do a different kind of test involving oil pressure and things like that so I just left it with them to look at.

When I picked it up I was told that the pressure sensor and a couple other parts needed to be replaced to solve the issue of the low gauge and burning of oil. I declined the service to shop around a bit. Fast forward about a week and a half. I'm noticing oil stains in the driveway now which weren't there before. In addition to that, there's also a coolant leak from somewhere that wasn't there before.

Instead of taking it back to them I took it to a Jiffy Lube and had them look at it. The technician literally yelled "whoa!" From under my car. She explained to me that in addition to the oil filter being extremely loose, the oil pan gasket was loose as well as something else. They couldn't find where the coolant was coming from though. I called the store and spoke to Jimmy (Manager) and let him know what was going on and he actually tried to get me to bring it in. Told him I would not be coming back.

Sorry for the book but just had to be as detailed as possible to let people know to not take your car here! Either they are grossly incompetent or they're creating problems as they go to get more money. Either way you don't want this headache. Go somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

On 5/12/2021, I purchased 4 new tires which were supposed to be the same make and model. The tires are the same make but has different models. The work order number is ** of which I paid $379.55. During that same visit, I purchased a 12 month service agreement to have the tires aligned. That work order number is ** of which I paid $127.09. On 8/12/2021, I took my car in for an alignment and the tech's name is Jeffrey V. Not only did this tech not do an alignment but he also disabled my cooling fan. Now my car runs hot.

I have filed several complaints online and on 9/21/2021, I finally got a call from a ** who works out of the 1924 Skibo Road Fayetteville NC 283114 location. She said she will review the video and advised me to give her "a day" for review and she will call me back. Pamela advised me the case number of **. I never got a call back from her and I called her back on 9/24/2021 and I was told that she was not in that day. I was also told that she would be back on 9/27/2021. I called that location today and now being told that she will be in on Wednesday 9/29/2021. I received a call from Kevin from the Skibo Rd. location and he had me to bring the car in today 9/27/2021. Not surprising because Kevin did not resolve the issue.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I would give them negative stars if I could. Made an appointment for the 7 A.M. slot and had my vehicle towed to the shop the night before so it would be there. I hadn't heard from them by 11 A.M. so I called since all I needed was two tires. To be informed by the manager he didn't know where my vehicle was, what was going on with it, or where my keys were. He was rude and continued to tell me how he just got off vacation and wasn't aware what was going on at the shop, but he would call me back. An hour later I called back as he never got back to me for him to rudely state he was still looking. 8 hours later and numerous calls I still don't have my vehicle and the store is closed. No return call or explanation just empty promises. They are rude and unprofessional. Please DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLE HERE!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I bought four tires from Everett, MA store. The clerk, Andrew, said he couldn't find my tires, so he started to a marketing pitch for a more expensive one. When I said I am going to buy from somewhere else, he miraculously found the tires. In fact they were just in front of us all this time. :-) I said fine, the usual stuff. They started to work on my car. Then, Andrew said one of my pressure sensors was not working and they needed to replace it for $90. There was absolutely no problem with it before I came to the store. I said just put the old one. He said he can't, if I didn't want to buy a new sensor, then I needed to call a tow truck and get my car from the store. I said, "WTH, ok put a new sensor."

They finished the work but my pressure sensor was on. Andrew said it will turn off by itself by the time I go home. It didn't. Next day I took the car back to the store for the light issue. They did some stuff and it turned off. But the day after that it turned on by itself again. By the way, the tire pressures were fine. That happened three more times and each time I took the car back to the store, waited a couple of hours, they "fixed" it, and the next day the light was on again. No explanation why it was happening neither. Now I have 4 new tires and a car with a pressure light always on. I could have gotten the same tires from another store with the same price. Never Pep boys again!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I had very bad experience with Pep Boys. I visited them to perform my Transmission Fluid and Brake Flush service for my Honda Pilot 2019. They changed this oil and perform this service. Because of COVID I was not using much my Pilot. Recently I pulled my Car to go for Vacation. I just drove around 100 miles and after that it was starting showing a light Transmission Fluid Too Hot. I came back to Honda and they found that Pep Boys put wrong Transmission Fluid as well Brake Fluid which screwed my Transmission. It ruined my transmission as well as my Family Trip. I will never recommend Pep Boys to anyone. Also I contacted Pep Boys customer service. They mentioned, "Somebody will contact you in 24 hours" but nobody contacted in a Week also.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information