Pep Boys

1,432people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Pep Boys:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I had a horrible experience with Pep Boys. I went to the location in their Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst New York. They charge me $197 just for headlights of a Saturn Vue. They said that it was going to take an hour. I went with my girlfriend to have this done because I had no other choice but to get them replaced because I had no Night Lights. For a simple fix which would take them 5-10 minutes they made me wait. I ask them "why does it cost so much" and they told me "because of the time that it takes to put them it in." What was $140 labor and only $14 for just the part plus tax.

I return a hour and a half they were still working on my car. There was only one mechanic on hand. I don't understand when I made an appointment for 5 p.m. and I was there at 4:45 p.m. I should have been taken right away. At the time I arrived there were several mechanics on hand and they were in parking lot just talking not doing a thing. I have to say I feel they took advantage of me. The person at the register said because the Saturn Vue made by GM was a specialty car that they had to charge that much. It's American made car. I am just appalled, upset. Just advising other people.

I recently visited the Pep Boys store on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg, Pa 17050, between 4-5pm. I went to this store on August 14th, 2016 to inquire about a part I needed for my car. Upon walking in, I headed for the Service/Tire area, as I was unsure of where to ask about this part. Three computers, three different clerks, one person in front of me. The man in front of me was helped fast enough... and then I just stood there and waited anxiously for my turn. As more time passed by and more associates came and went, I began to ask myself why I was still standing there, unassisted. More associates came out from the service area, noticed me, and continued on without acknowledging me.

Another ten minutes went by before, finally, someone spoke to me. I asked the very simple question I had now waiting 15 minutes to ask, "who do I speak to about finding a car part?" I was told to go straight back to 'Parts.' It felt great knowing I had been ignored for so long, in the wrong place. Brushing this off, I walked to the back of the store where the parts section was. Three computers, zero clerks. Perhaps they were all busy ignoring others in the Service section, who am I to say. So, again, I stood and waited.

After yet another ten minutes, I began to pace back and forth like a caged tiger, looking down the long rows of high shelved parts I might never get the chance to inquire about; waiting, waiting for anyone to come help me. I began to reminisce about all the other car part stores I had passed on my way to the renowned Pep Boys. After another ten minutes of the staff's complete absence, I gave up. After waiting in various places for twenty-five minutes, for the help that was never to come, I walked out of the store.

While this email is obviously filled with light hearted ribbing, I am actually quite displeased with my experience in this store. I've worked in customer service for years and it's really sad to go to a store and receive no service at all. And honestly, I'll probably never go back to this store. I don't do a ton of car work, but when I do, I'll be taking my service elsewhere.

I have been going to Pep boys in Pittsburgh PA, Pleasant Hills, Clairton Blvd for about 4 Yrs for repairs on my 2002 Grand Am GT. I have had Brakes, Starter, Exhaust System, Inspections, Tire rods, and other work done. I have to say that all work done was very Professional and Outstanding. The price was very comparable to other places around. The service manager, David **, was very polite and would work with you to get the best option and deal for the work being done on my car. I will continue to Patronize this Pep boys for service and parts in the future.

On the date of August 6th, 2016, I received a ride from a Pep Boys towing truck at about 12:34 PM. I arrived at the San Pedro location in San Antonio, TX shortly after. I was having problems with my turning signal and shortage of headlights. My battery had went dead the night before so I was trying to handle it as best as I could. First off, the clerk told me a false time. He said that it would only be an hour wait. I ended up waiting until almost 6:00 PM until the service was done. Mind you, I took a half day of work off just to get this process taken care of. No one bothered to check and see if my car was being tended to or anything of the sort.

Finally, the workers tried to jumpstart my car in order to get a good enough boost to get a new battery from the initial shop that I received it from, Goodyear. The charge would not stay, so I payed for a battery from Pep Boy's shop, as well as the installation charges. When that was done, one of the workers noticed that my driver's side tires were low. He asked did I want to change them out. I asked how bad were they, and he claimed that they were fine for now, but recommended to change them in a few months at the latest. I complied and said that air was fine for now because I had already spent a lot for brake pad installation a few weeks back as well at the same location. The air for the tires was free of charge. After the air was input into the tires, I headed home to visit my kids before taking off to a get together at a coworker's house. I stayed until about a little past midnight and decided to head back to my house.

While on the road, I felt a strange pull on my side of the car. Shortly afterwards, my back tire exploded and popped off. After that my front tire exploded as well which turned my car around 360 degrees in three spins. I pulled over to the side afterwards. I highly recommend that no one considers Pep Boy's for any service issues pertaining to their vehicles. My life was in danger, and anyone else's could have been as well. I'm traumatized by this whole experience and I hope no one will have to go through the same thing that I have. Please heed my warning. This is not a good business. They do not care about anything but profit. Lives are not of the highest priority at all.

First, let me explain our current situation. I am moving from NYC to LA. With me are my sister, a friend, and an English bulldog. In case you did not know, English Bulldogs do not do well in the heat and can collapse and die from exhausted if exposed to heat for a prolong time. Here is the issue: AC broke down right as we got to Nashville. Pep Boys in Nashville said we needed to replace the AC compressor. They first said they had the part, then said they don't have the part, then said they ordered the part and we had to wait a day. The following day I arrived and they informed me that the part was not placed and that I'd have to wait 5 hours for the part to arrive. When we finally got the AC compressor, I was informed that there was a part in the compressor that does not match my car and would have to wait another 45 minutes to have it rushed over.

After two days, the compressor was installed and we left Nashville. (It took two days to resolve to issue and $1100!) After 30 minutes of driving leaving from Nashville the AC stopped working. We called up Pep Boys in Nashville and we were told to go to Little Rock AR to fix issue free of charge. We got to Little Rock late at night because the fix in Nashville took forever and we were forced to stay in a motel and wait for Pep Boys in Little Rock to open. Went to Pep Boys in the morning. We were told that they do not have anyone available to fix the car and that we should drive to Oklahoma City (5 hr drive with no AC) and that they are going to fix the issue once we arrive. We arrived in Pep Boys in OK city and were told we are not scheduled and that their mechanic is gone until Tuesday.

After explaining our situation, they attempted to fix the issue on the spot. The issue was due to the compressor PSI being too high causing a valve to be closed. They set the correct PSI and the AC in the car worked... for 12 hours. The next day the AC stopped working. We drove through 3 states in the month of August with no AC. We still have to drive through NM, Arizona, and Nevada. Driving in the heat with no AC with a dog is unacceptable. I would advise anyone to avoid getting your car fixed at any of the locations at all cost. Their mechanics do not seem capable or knowledgeable. If parts are needed they are incredibly slow to get and the labor hours are incredibly expensive. There is obviously no communications between stores.

I attempted to call customer relation at their 1800 number. No one picked up, even during business hours. When I attempted to leave a message, the mailbox was full (Shows you how many people called to complain). I will be going to the Pep Boys in Albuquerque to demand a refund or for them to pay for an outside mechanic to fix my AC. I will update this soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

I guess I should have learned... I've had issues before with Pep Boys service/mechanics. Today was no different. I brought my daughter's car [2007 mini cooper] in for a simple oil change. After paying for it they gave me the key. I go to parking lot and drive away. About 2 minutes into my drive home, I smell burning oil. No real big surprise. I've changed oil on many cars over the yrs... sometimes oil spills on the motor or exhaust. So I thought it was natural and would burn off. The smell got worse as I kept driving. By the time I got home, about 10 minutes later and stopped my car smoke was coming from under the hood and the smell was unbearable bad burnt oil. I opened the hood... a good amount of light smoke which eventually cleared away... I then noticed and was just freaking crazy pissed. Within about 2 minutes or so I had about 1/4 quart of oil under the nose of the car. The motor around the oil filter was completely soaked.

I then was appalled when I looked up the street a semi-solid line of oil going all the way up the street. I followed it to my corner. My house is approx. 800' from the corner the trail of oil then turned my corner and continued all the way from the direction I came from Pep Boys. I went home and got in my car. I backtracked it about a mile. Before I got so disgusted I went back home. Checked the oil on the dipstick - none to be found and bad burnt smell. I got back into my car... went back to Pep Boys. I went first to where my car was parked 30 minutes prior. Lo and behold there was a pool of oil there too - about 1/4 quart or more and there was this oil trail starting at this pool of oil leading out of the parking lot going the way I just went home.

I was fuming. I went inside, told the manager what his stupid mechanics had done and to go outside and look. I then showed him photos I took at home of all the oil on the ground at my house. He told me I should just bring the car back. I demanded it be flat bedded at their expense. I'm not driving it. There is no oil left in the motor. I will call Pep Boys corporate come Monday morning. I've tried to give them a couple of chances with past screw ups by their mechanics but this is the last straw. I'm done with their kiddie mechanics who don't give a ** about my car or anyone else's. I am also going to call Dept of Consumer Affairs. I have many photos now... pictures don't lie.

I came into the store (71 S. Semoran Blvd) because I had a battery issue and they told me my battery was completely dead while accusing me of having my battery sit in my car for long periods of time which in fact is completely false cause as a full-time college student and working full time, I only have one car. Then they told me it would take a little over an hour for them to charge the battery for them to be able to test the battery. So I dropped off the battery appx 6:15 pm, came back at 7:20 and my battery test still wasn't ready. Finally they told me my battery needed to be replaced but they were telling me I had to drive all the way to the location on Powers Dr to do a warranty exchange cause I didn't have my receipt.

I requested them to call the store and after minutes of hesitation they finally called and got my receipt information. The manager then continued to ask me who installed the battery in the first place and I responded by saying Pep Boys installed it cause I don't know how to. So he responded by saying, "Oh well I install my own batteries." I have never felt so belittled in my life. Being at this location made me feel extremely comfortable and I would never go back here again. I finally received my battery at 8:01 pm after all the drama. While the manager continued to give me attitude up until the point of me exiting the building.

Went to Pep Boys in East Norriton for state inspection of a one year old vehicle. When completed, the stickers were placed on my windshield in front of my steering wheel. I complained to the store manager that it impairs my vision, and just put them in the same place they were before. The manager refused (his name is Mark), and started to aggressively argue with me and parents and wife that this was against the law and he started to use foul language in front of us. We don't told him his professionalism and conduct was inappropriate, and we told him we are not going back here anymore. He stated that we were now threatening him. But, then decided to take in the car, and move the sticker so it was not in the way. Well, he put it back in the same exact place over the steering wheel, and still charged us.

What is worse, is that he made us wait for 1.5 hours for the vehicle, and he kept the engine on the whole time deliberately wasting my gas. I had a full tank when I took it in, and only 3/4 tank when I picked it up. This guy is a psycho, and I will never go back to this place. I also lodged a complaint with Pep Boys customer service, but they are also refusing to do anything for me as they are only listening to whatever the store manager says. I will never go back to Pep Boys, and nobody else should either. If they are smart, they will fire this animal as soon as possible because he will make them lose business over the long run. If they don't, I hope their service shop goes out of business as they don't have anything but a bunch of amateurs and wise guys running their business and working in their shop.

Anyway, a different mechanic moved the stickers to the appropriate place, and now I can see while I drive now. It took the new mechanic 10 minutes to give me new stickers and went over the placement of stickers with me very carefully using good customer service skills. I will go back to that mechanic. Customer service seems like such an easy thing, except for Pep Boys.

It's just a waste of time, since they never keep their promises. And they always tell you to do something extra, such as alignment, power steering and/or brake fluid flush, etc. I just want to say: Never go to Pep Boys.

I booked through online and when I arrived the store and it seemed busy. And they said no time for my appointment. I wasted time and gas. The traffic was bad to get the store and I got shocked with how they handle customers. Don't go the store. It will be terrible experience. If you want to go there really then don't book through online and wait few hours there.

I set up an appointment for noon the next day. When I arrived I was informed that the tires I had ordered and charged to my card for $177.00 had not arrived and would not for several more days. I was however informed that for a few dollars more I could have them today for a slightly more. $378.00 more exactly. Mind you, these are tires for a late 90's Sedan and not a competition 4x4 race truck.

I went in for an oil change, tire rotation and balance and to have a head light bulb replaced. They came out with I need a power steering flush and transmission fluid replaced. Also an alternator belt. Grand total almost $500.00. Told them, "No, just go with what was scheduled." Later they came back with a new headlight bulb but had to special ordered it at 180.00. I checked out an hour and a half later with a bill for 105.09. Oil change and air filter. Tire balance and rotation I had already purchased.

Upon arrival at home I viewed my receipt. I was charged for a bulb they did not put in and waited another hour today. Dear Robert did come out and told me they had broken the handle on the driver's side door. They would order it and replace it free of charge tomorrow. Great. Another day wasted at Pep Boys. I was refunded my money for the bulb $34.99 bringing the bill down but was told it was the bulb costing $180.00. Told him no and I was displeased with Pep Boys. He told me Pep Boys did not need my business. Suppose what the one Robert **'s paycheck would look like where he's to tell all his customers that. I would not recommend Pep Boys unless you have plenty of money and are prepared to wait and have rude service.

I would like to acknowledge Eric the manager and Richard from the service department. I was traveling from Cincinnati Oh when we had a tire blow out on 75. We entered the store frustrated. Am very stressed out in seek of assistance with our repair after being broke down on the interstate for several hours. These 2 men went above and beyond the expectations we expected with assisting us prompt service to be back on the road safely. They were very polite and mostly very understanding unlike the other assistance from surrounding locations. If there were more service like this customer complaints would be at a minimum. So thank you Eric and Richard from Marietta Ga. You guys rock.

Great customer service Store 0835. I worked with a guy called Hector at the store 0835 and I honestly can say he went above and beyond to make sure my car was fixed on time and done properly. I highly recommend you visit this store location in Matteson, Illinois. They are top-notch professionals.

I went to Pep Boys to have a new sensor put in my tire and to have an NYS inspection performed on my car. About 1 hour later I received a call that I failed inspection and that it would be about $950.00 to fix. This included my rear brakes, front coil springs, windshield wipers, and the sensory. Due to my lack of knowledge on cars I get worried I am getting screwed. So before agreeing to these repairs I called a few friends. A friend said that it is difficult to break the coil springs and that seemed a little weird. Pep Boys had to call the dealership to get the coil springs to be replaced. In doing so the make and model of my car needed to be said. Turns out there is a recall on my car for this exact problem. I was told by the dealership they would have disclosed this information to Pep Boys, but Pep Boys tried to charge me anyway.

Fortunately, I declined the services except for the sensor because my tire could only hold air for about a day, and I needed it. I scheduled my appt with Nissan to get the recall fixed. But what do you think happened when I went out to my car the next day? My tire was flat. After calling multiple Pep Boys and being hung up on by the first I found out that the person working on my car put the sensor in the wrong tire and replaced a full functioning one. So now with me being late to my appt with the dealership because I now have to put air in my tire, I'm livid. When I get to the dealership they saw that I had a receipt from Pep Boys with the reasons for my failed inspection. So they called and asked if I wanted them to double check because there didn't appear to be a problem with my brakes.

The result of this was that I was told, and I quote, "There is no way you should have failed an inspection for your brakes, they are fully functioning." So not only did Pep Boys try to screw me out of a recall repair, they claimed there was a major problem that actually didn't exist, and they messed up the one task I asked of them. So now instead of one day of dealing with car stuff I'm on 3, and Pep Boys is refusing to refund me for putting the sensor in the wrong tire. Basically this one location is awful. I have never received such horrid customer service in my life. But I do want to acknowledge the other Pep Boys near me. I called them and they were nothing but helpful with the whole situation. They called the manager on his cell phone for me when the other location just hung up on me.

Before my 30 day warranty is up I noticed the brakes weren't sounding right. I called severed and was sent to Pep Boys. I waited four hours to be told all rotors and brakes need to be replaced. My car was still up on the rafter with no tires and hood up. Then was told they had to submit pics to the insurance that could take a day. Was cloth closing so I went home. I called first thing this morning to be told that my car is not there nor the paperwork. I'm pissed, how the ** can you lose a car that's in the garage on rafters with no tires. Time to report and turn on GPS.

Have been using PB to take care of my 4 vehicles for over 10 years. Have had oil changes with promise of tire rotation several times where rotation is ignored. Struts on my 2009 Toyota were installed. Strut bolt came loose on trip almost losing control. They were sorry. FINAL STRAW. Had 2000 Ford Expedition in for work. Went in for oil change and came out with new radiator, new brakes (drums rotated), 4 tires all done OK. Forgot oil change, guess not any money in that.

Truck stalled two weeks later. Had it towed to PB location. BAD NEWS. Engine blown... "No oil in engine," they said... They would put another engine in for $3500. Towed back home and parked to determine next step. Had to move vehicle and when I entered key I tried to start. I was curious. WOW it started up. Been driving now for two weeks with no problem. Really disappointed with mindset/professionalism at that store!!! Never to visit PB again in this lifetime.

My 1994 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) needed a new crank position sensor. I went to Pep Boys store #918 and the transaction was very pleasant. When I got home and installed the CPS my XJ started but everything was out of sync. Engine was getting gas flooded, lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust, backfiring, etc, etc. My XJ need a tune-up so I decided to buy new spark-plugs, spark wires, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator.

After installing everything the jeep started but with the same symptoms. A friend of mine told that he has a spare CPS, an original one. I installed it and all the symptoms were eliminated, jeep running better than ever. All this was 3.5 weeks after installing the Pep Boys sensor. I went back to Pep Boys with the faulty sensor and they started with, "We dont refund electronic components... Wait! This purchase was one month ago... Absolutely no money back". I asked, "Even the ones that are faulty?" They replied, "We dont have a way to test them, but we can exchange the part with a new one".

And I asked, "What if that part is not really faulty but is not working under the specs of my car? All the sensors will fail. I have to remind you that your system says that this sensor is compatible with my car but it is really not. It is sending a bad/weak signal. But if you want put your best mechanic to test all the sensors on my car, if one of the sensors works I will go happy to home. If none works I want my money back..." They shrugged their shoulders and offered the refund in a gift card. I took it and got back to home... Thanks to my insistence I got a gift card... YAY!!! NOT! I wanted my money back. It is not my fault that Pep Boys sells out of specs/faulty items. After using the gift card I will plan to not get back there ever.

Took our car to the Cicero Ny location and left it there overnight thinking it was in good hands as always. Oh what an understatement. They left the car unlocked and someone cleaned out all my things. They are calling us liars and I have proof they left it unlocked overnight. Insurance claim says "too bad." No receipts to prove I had the stuff. Well because, many items were gifts so because I got them this way they are no proof. Oh and I had a locket with my mom's ashes that was stolen also and nobody cared. When I filled out the police report the officer already knew I was coming so I believe they spoke ahead of time. Boy how dishonest are they too. I could go on about this but let me tell you I will NEVER go back to Pep Boys EVER and will tell every soul about this and their unjustified results. Without even speaking to me, making a decision on my case, ridiculous I do think.

That assistant manager by the name Larry - his attitude was so nasty and offensive he does not know how to speak people. I had the worst customer I experienced in my life. I will never go to that location any more.

I had a 10 am "appointment" at Pep Boys in Arvada, CO this morning. At 11:25 am my car was still not in the shop. Still sitting in parking lot untouched. When I came in I asked if it would be a 2-3 hour wait as usual and she said not quite that long but that the appointment was just a priority over walk-ins. Not a real appointment. So bait and switch. In other words they lie to customers.

There is no way that I will not be here at least two hours when they took an hour and a half to get car into garage. When I went to counter at 11:00 she said they were getting it in then. At 11:25 I decided I would go elsewhere and get my stuff and key back and leave. Then the mechanic came to get the car. I have been here many times over the years. Not sure why just I use my car care plan I bought when I'd rather pay large sums to anyone else to treat us like valued customers. People. They are always filthy to the point I fear using the restroom. Terrible when the wait is three hours. They have horrible service, unknowledgeable staff and terrible management. They lack any standards or professionalism. I called other places and they said their wait is 45 minutes with an appointment. That's Brakes Plus. I will go there and throw my prepaid service plan away. That's how strongly I feel about being treated this badly and being in such a nasty place.

I went to Pep Boys after reading online that they were one of the top ten car repair places in Vallejo. I needed my heater fixed. I dropped the car off on a Thursday evening with the understanding that Chris (the guy that did all my initial paperwork) would call me the next day to give me a ballpark figure and an idea of when I could get the car back. He called me Friday morning and let me know that during the inspection an oil leak was found. I told him that I was aware of the oil leak and that I had taken it to several places and no one could tell me what it was. Chris replied that the reason no one had told me what it was, was because it was a pain in the butt job and time consuming. He told me what the leak was, gave me an estimate on the heater repair, as well as fixing the leak.

I told him to go ahead with the repair and he told me I could expect the car around the beginning of the following week. He told me that the heater repair was also difficult, but assured me that they would be able to do the job. I let him know at the time that my car sometimes unlocks itself and asked that he keep it close to the garage and in the lot at night. On Monday I had to go and get some materials for my classroom out of the car. I went up to Pep Boys, and a young man came out with the key and went with me to get the stuff from my car. I found the car parked across the street in a different parking lot, unlocked and obviously away from anyone at Pep Boys supervision. I got my materials, locked the car and told the young man that my car needed to be moved closer to the shop.

I went home and received a call from Chris about 45 minutes after I had been home. He said to me, "My guys don't want to fix your car. They are afraid that they might break something when they go into the dash to fix the heater." I was shocked and asked him why someone didn't tell me that when I was there less than an hour ago, and why had they kept my car for five days when they had no intention of working on it. He muttered some other lame reason which I didn't understand and hung up. I went to pick my car up. It took 20 minutes to find the key, and Chris never even came out to talk to me himself. Another person came out, and when I told him what had happened he expressed shock and agreed that Pep Boys actions with regard to my vehicle were very unprofessional and was by no means a way of doing business. I will never go there again, and I suggest that anyone looking for car repair also go somewhere else.

I talk with representative from Pep Boys before I order Item stock N : K6229 - Z23 Evolution Sport Performance brake kit for my car. I was told that is on stock so we purchase on the 05/04/2016 and we was charged on my wife credit card. According to the official website, I should receive the item in 5-7 business days... NOTHING WAS DELIVERED!!! So I called today on the 05/13/2016 to ask what is happening with my parts??? (We had a plan to traveling) I was told from the representative that the order has been canceled!!! But from who???

I never get the answer!!!! He said he will check for me... So, Pep Boys called back in 10 minutes and said that the ITEM K6229 was out of stock!!! How you can sell something which you don't have??? The other explanation was that the website is not updated!!! Please update your website and after you do business!!! Nobody call us to refund the money during that period... So what will happened with our money if I didn't call today??? WE ARE VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! For sure I will never buy again something from Pep Boys!!!

I am a customer of Pep Boys (Store #0453) for years, and I dropped off my car a 2007 Toyota Tundra at Pep Boys yesterday (May 11, 2016). Today (May 12, 2016) when I picked my car up, my remote control didn't work, I couldn't open my car, so I went back to the office, and a couple of workers tried to help me to open the car, but they couldn't either. They said "probably the battery went dead". So I have ran to the store where my alarm was installed, it was just across the street, and they changed the battery. But it still didn't work. I was told probably one of the Pep Boy's worker dropped the remote because it's broken. They have locked the car, and I couldn't open it. Anyway I bought the new remote, which was $70 plus battery $10 and I asked the Pep Boys to pay for it or give me a discount. Of course they refused it, and they called me a liar.

The worst thing is not to losing the money. The way they treated me especially the store manager, who said "You knew the remote was broken, that's why you brought it over here". I told them they locked the car with the remote and I couldn't open it. They lied into my face: "We never locked the car." Then how come I couldn't get into the car? Also they don't know, I have a very expensive alarm system and I getting messages onto my phone every time when the alarms goes off, and the Pep Boys workers tried to open the car with me at 9:25 AM and 9:30 AM and finally the workers across the street from the car electrical shop came over to the Pep Boys parking lot and stopped the alarm at 10:05AM. So I lost $80, and I was called a liar and a scam to try to rip them off.

Looks like an additive in the basic coolant flush package provided by Pep Boys may have ruined my radiator and engine. Pep Boys is not taking admitting fault as the manufacturer stands behind the product. My understanding is the additive over time created a substance that ruined the radiator and then restricted the water jackets and as a result the engine was ruined. This has been substantiated by the dealer. Not only should Pep Boys not have recommended and performed 2 coolant flushes within months of each other but, the additive they used should not be used in Hondas, according to the manual. And, coolant flush should last 10 years - it has only been 2.

Tried to buy tires (305/70r16 Firestone destination) from Pep Boys off of the internet. This is the same size tire I have had on this truck for ten years. The tires were a good deal but the website would not sell them to me. They said I had to purchase them in the store because they were not shown to fit my truck. So I went to the store and they could not find them on their computer. They told me they were internet only. I called customer service and they looked into why I could not order the tires, they told me they could not sell me this tire because it was not the stock tire for my truck and it would be unsafe. REALLY? I said "Then why can I purchase the more expensive tires in the same size?" They had no answer. So beware of low prices on their site. They don't stand behind their pricing. All they want to do is get you to look at their site with false advertising. Wasted 4 hours and I will never deal with PEP BOYS again.

I took my car into Pep Boys located in Austell, GA in December 2015 for an alignment and oil change. When I returned to pick it up, the manager, Joe, told me they tried to align it but couldn't and he thinks it may be the machine they use to do alignments, but he wasn't sure so he just had the mechanic take it off the machine instead of continuing to mess with it. I was kind of speechless at his lack of concern or explanation, but I did ask him what I should do next (I thought he would suggest me bringing it back the following morning, but oh no) and he replied that I should definitely get it aligned somewhere quick because the steering wheel was now way off center. That was an understatement, to say the least. My steering wheel was almost turned upside down. He told me that the service manager was Chris and I could call him and work something out with him if I wanted and then comped the cost of my oil change.

After calling at least 5 times the next week, I spoke with Chris and he told me to bring my car back up there the following week and he would see that it gets fixed right because their alignment machine was repaired now. I did as he instructed and took it in on a day he said he would be there and not only was he not there, when they called him to confirm what I was saying, he claimed he didn't know anything about my situation. I grabbed the phone and after about 30 seconds of reminders, he suddenly recalled who I was. They took my car in and then called me to tell me they couldn't do an alignment now because I needed new tie rod ends. I took it to another Pep Boys location and they did my alignment, no problem.

My second experience with the Austell Pep Boys happened yesterday. I took my car in for another oil change and told them I wanted the high mileage oil change and had a coupon for $15 off. The manager was once again Joe. I dropped the car off and went back 4 hours later to pick it up and they couldn't find my paperwork or my service ticket in their system.

After looking through every ticket in their service department, they found my service ticket stapled to a receipt with someone else's name, address and phone number on it. Then, when I gave them my coupon they said the system wouldn't take it because I had gotten the manager special oil change and it was already discounted. Then he told me the price was $69! I about died. After looking at my receipt, I saw that I was charged $20 for wiper blades that I didn't request and there was no discount taken at all and they left all of the other customer's info on the receipt! Talk about not giving a what! I will never use the Austell Pep Boys again!

Their parts' quality is CRAP! Purchased a brand new platinum series starter. It died within 6 weeks. Gave me another one. Now it's dead. 4 months later no their answer. Well it's got a limited lifetime warranty so we won't replace it again... So why spend so much money on substandard parts that are going to fail at such a ludicrous rate! They buy crap sell crap then don't stand behind their product when it continues to fail.

Bad enough that we spent hundreds of dollars on my daughter's car repair at Pep Boys but then the car died the next day in the middle of street. She was able to get it to the side and was told to call their towing service. They left her waiting for over 2 hours (they kept saying they were on their way) and then said they weren't coming at all! She called them back and they hung up on her. We called the towing company and they were very rude to us and then hung up on us too. Luckily AAA came to the rescue. I was sick with worry having my college age daughter stranded by the side of the road for hours!!

I was returning a wrong tool that I bought the same day and the manager insisted, and assuming that I did use the tool and I can't return it. I got upset when he was solidly saying that the tool was obviously used but never really was! So sad that I wasn't expecting to come to this point. I was really surprise. It was an honest mistake. I bought it and it was wrong one. I have a right to return it.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.
  • Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.
  • Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.
  • Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.
  • Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.
  • Best for Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Compare Auto Service and Repair