1.31/5
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pep Boys

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

684 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

We have a F350 Ford and scheduled an appt for 4 new tires and front end alignment. We were told approximately 2 hrs for the service. After 2 hrs we were told another hour. After 3 hours, they still only had 2 tires on the truck. We were told another hour or so they’d be finished. 1 hour per tire is completely unacceptable. No discount was offered. And the only explanation given was that our truck is heavy. I will never use Pep Boys again!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I went to buy four tires. They were buy 4 get 1 free. They ended up giving me a different tire from what they told me they were going to give me and overcharged me on top of not giving me my 10% military veteran discount. At the original point of sale I told them I didn't want the tires to put my old ones back on and I would go somewhere else but they told me they couldn't do that what I thought was supposed to be no more than $350 is turned out at first to be more than 500. I told them all I had was 450 so they discount of the price to 446 and I left very dissatisfied only because I had my daughter with me and had somewhere to be. Two months went by I had a problem with one of the tires.

I originally purchased the hazard roadside warranty which they told me I didn't have to worry about anything if anything happened to my tire that they would replace it. Turns out I took my tire in which needed a simple plug that they said they couldn't fix and charge me another $20 after I got upset, then I drove away, after getting both receipts I found several discrepancies in their itemized detailed receipts. Since then I found out that they gave me a different tire from which they sold me and I'm in the process of trying to still sort all this out

After getting $126 back I'm still not satisfied. I want all of my money back. At least do not go to Pep Boys. I would not recommend it. They upsell and overcharged on top of all this they tried to sell me an alignment and which I did not need and also scratched my rim on the tire that I had to replace that should have been under warranty. I really hope something gets resolved. I wonder how many other people have gone through the same similar situation. I can't imagine that I'm the only one. I'm sure they owe a lot of people a lot of money. I'm not going to stop until I get mine back. This is very shady and not very good business. It's not what they advertise. I even asked what is the final price going to be they would not give me a final price. They sold me a tire and which is not what they said it was supposed to be. The Definity HP 100 is not the same as it Definity HP 800.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Took my car. They read the codes. They claimed I needed a tune-up with ignition coils and Oc2 sensor. Total was close to $1,300. Went to a neighborhood mechanic who has been in since 1965 mechanic, all I needed was the sensor. This mechanic had no idea what I was previously told, part $176, $85 lower than the part Pep Boys was going to charge me for my total cost was $276 not almost $1300. Very unfair how they try to treat the consumer...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Went there with complaint of no heat and received lousy service and then lied too also. After 3 hours wait was presented with bill for $348.00 then told they guessed I needed a heater core and was told it would cost to diagnose the issue. I called corporate office and after 3 days received a call from Chicago area manager and was told he would call me back. Waited a couple days and received a call from another area manager who told me store manager would call me back and refund 50% of total bill which was never done. If this is the face of Pep Boy's professional image there is certainly a problem in regards to honesty, integrity, professional image just to mention a few variables. I was told that a rear strut was needed and when I went to their competitor to have my issues resolved the strut issue was a total $657.00 fabrication.

Had to shell out 2.5 times more money to get the job Pep Boy's was to have diagnosed but didn't and certainly would have paid them to resolve this issue which they either weren't qualified to do or were simply being fraudulent in the way I was dealt with. All I got was lies, no refund, and feel all should be aware of these unethical business practices. Took time to post a review on Pep Boy's website and was told they could not post this review for it was not the type they wanted. In other words don't reflect or tell the truth about this service facade.

Have bought parts there for years and wrongly assumed their service would be Creme De La Creme and they quickly straightened out this costly misconception. Shame, Shame, Shame on you Pep Boy. Selling service and can't complete requests and lie about needed parts and refunds. To all awake aware to know exactly who you are doing business with and check reviews before reaching into your pocket. This Pep Boy is located in the 7000 S. block of Cicero next door north of WALMART.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I am very disappointed in the service we received yesterday. My Daughter took her vehicle in to get the coolant reservoir fixed at Pep Boys Garner NC and they overcharged me on everything except maybe the coolant. AllData said .4, Indentifix said .4 and Mitchell said .8 & I was charged 1.1 to R/R the coolant reservoir. When I called to inquire about this I was told they use Identifix & it shows 1.1. Now that I have proof that Identifix shows .4 now the store is saying they use their own labor guide. When I asked for a store Mgr I kept being transferred right back to the same guy I busted lying even though I was told the Mgr was in by the lady that answered the phone. When their hourly rate is $140 that time adds up to a lot money out of the customer's pocket that they are essentially stealing. Oh and by the way the hourly rate per online says it's 129 but I was charged 140.

The part they fixed they charged me $51.78 but the price for the part in their store and online is $26.99. Why did they mark it up? It's not like they had to get it elsewhere like a small repair shop has to. They made a profit on the same part on 2 separate occasions once going on the shelf and then when they upped it on the service side. Shop fees are outrageously high also. I will never take another vehicle to Pep Boys nor will I be able to give a good review. It does not cost $330 to R/R a coolant reservoir and there is no way they can honestly justify charging this amount. It shouldn't have been more than $180 max!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Daughter has a flat tire on Blazer. Take some tools, remove said tire, go to Pep Boys. Walk into empty lobby, asked about having tire repaired. 2 guys, both doing obviously important work on their computers (one is on phone trying to hire help... Probably need it). Guy 1 says, after apprehensively checking out the 1st 4 or 5 empty bays behind him, says, "Yeah, we can do it, give me a minute". Guy 2 (phone guy) says, "We don't patch, we plug". Fine. 5 minutes later, lobby, and bay's, still empty, both guys still on computer. No questions, no statements, no conversation in any way, no customer service. Except what MIGHT be happening via the computer. Screw the customer standing in the lobby.

I've posted about the terrible customer service here before. Last encounter, made an appointment to have squealing brakes looked at (another Pep Boys story). After arriving at appointment time, was told they couldn't get me in for 2 hours. And apparently nothing has changed. I have a card with these guys as a "just in case" thing and today was one of those times.

Frankly, every time the brakes squeal, I remember how much I dislike the thought of doing business with these guys. From the 1st time they ripped me for a broken lug bolt they charged me for (but did not replace... To be fair, they did refund my money) to the aforementioned brake job. However, unfortunately, they were the closest possible repair and I reckon I keep thinking, different time, different location, maybe things will be better. Thanks Pep Boys for the reassurance that old dogs just can't learn new tricks. I may once again have to call upon your "service" but at least I won't go in with high hopes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I ordered tires and made an appointment online for same day installation. Received a phone call. “We sold your tires to someone else but we can order them from one of our stores in Maryland for you. We will call you when the tires arrive." Well ok mistakes happen not a problem. In a couple of days my tires should be in. Today marks my two week anniversary of being lied to. I have received no communication at all except a "how was the service you received" email.

Now if I were in the retail and sales business again and had a customer ready to drop over $500 on merchandise that I didn’t have in stock, it would make sense to me to have it in two days three days at the max. Also to call said customer to at least update them if it was to be longer than when I told them it would be. Unfortunately this store doesn’t believe in good customer service for everyone. Now the sad thing is for them is I have two more vehicles that take much larger and more expensive tires then my previous order. Now Walmart will be getting all my business. Because even though they had to order my tires as well they received them in two days and called me the minute they arrived.

My suggestion to Pep Boys of Greensburg. Next time you get a customer's tires shipped from one of your other stores in Maryland. Maybe use a delivery method that involves a truck. I say this because the only explanation I can think of for these tires being two weeks late is that there are four Pep Boys employees physically rolling these tires up the side of the road as I write this. That or someone thinks good customer service involves using metaphorical nuts and bolts for their customers. Why nuts and bolts you ask. Because not only did I get The screws by this employee so did Pep Boys. Me for not getting tires when I needed them and Pep Boys for losing potentially $1700 of my money for more tires and services this month to Walmart.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I spent an afternoon selecting a battery for my car, found the right one on Pep Boys added to cart. It was late night and the Pep Boys webpage said articles are saved for 90 days in the cart. Went to bed, woke up next day logged in and there was a pop up forcing me to accept to lose my kart. They stole my battery out of the cart and gave it to another customer. Complained that their policy is the item stays in the cart for 90 days. They ignored me. Came to this website. Read a few reviews, this company lies and rip off customers. After all I am glad I don't have to buy from them. I will avoid them in the future.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

On December 11, 2017 I brought me Honda Accord into PEP boys because it was making a humming noise on the passenger wheel. This was at 8:15 when I arrived, I had called first and I was told to bring my car in. Well, Lord behold I kept checking to see what was taking so long by 12 noon. The one tech came out and mention that it was a charge to diagnose my car. I said that will be okay and he stated some amount.

After 2 pm, Brandon the manager comes out, stated we missed diagnosis your car and they will need to keep it because he has it apart. He trying calling the junkyards to locate steering knuckle, since my car is a older model car. Brandon stated that since they misdiagnose my car he saved me $1200 hundred dollars and they are going to fix my car. But, in the meantime, I am asking, "So why do I have to pay for something that was broke and you repaired it". Brandon stated well eventually it would have went out.

I stated, "You're leaving a bad taste in mouth". Brandon came back out saying all junkyards are closed on Saturday and he will have to keep me car, because he has it torn apart. Lord behold, I called every junk in the area, and they stated that they are opened on Saturday and Sundays. I call PEP boys back on Monday stating, "Is my car ready", Brandon stated that he was in the shop by himself, but it's coming along. I called back at 4 pm letting him no that I was getting off from work in 30 minutes and what about my. Brandon stated it's ready. Until this day, I haven't heard from Pep Boys on this matter. I want something done for this company, repairing something that wasn't broke and charged me this amount.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

My son used to work at a Pep Boys. I know they're all about quotas and GOUGING THE ** OUT OF CUSTOMERS. My daughter scheduled an appointment with these people twice, once for an inspection and once for tires. They charged her, and she paid them, for an unnecessary water pump, total, $490. Inspection? $575 for a right front motor mount. Sweet baby corn... I can do that in 20 minutes with a $21 part. I guess I need to accompany my daughter EACH AND EVERY time she goes there. They literally see a "sucker" and especially at Christmas time. I don't blame the technicians. They're just trying to make a buck. Shame on you, Pep Boys. Get your ** together. If you claim to be automotive technicians and certified inspection agents, do THAT. Stop gouging the customer. On a side note, if you need quality work, come to me, or I can refer you to someone who can do your job (if it's necessary) for FREE.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017 Worst Experience Ever and I have yet to hear back from anyone in Senior Management after 5 days of filing my complaint thru PepSocial@PepBoys.com!

I rarely post any reviews but this has gone beyond what I would consider an acceptable time frame to reach out and do what's right. I was at the Pine Brook NJ Service Center on a Sunday morning to replace 4 tires. I patiently waited an hour before the tech was able to get to my car. The employee that drove the car into the bay, didn't know how to drive my car so I had to step out and guide him on how to get the car into 1st gear and get it to move. Once the car was inside, they removed all 4 wheels and I observed the tech remove the first tire.

I noticed that the tech was having a hard time getting the new tire on so he asked another employee for help. That employee went to grab a pry bar that is not meant to be used on wheels. The tech was already using the correct bar designed to be used with the tire mount machine. I even YouTubed how to mount a tire while I watched them carry on this fiasco. While that was going on, I couldn't help but notice that the tech was not only slipping on the wheel as it turned on the machine, but he was also popping, damaging, scraping and scratching the inside and outside of the wheel at the same time with the pry bar! !

I made them aware that they were not using the right technique to mounting the tires based on previous experience and observations on top of the YouTube video which I tried to share with the crew! Soon after that, the manager asked if I wanted to go to another pep boys to get the job done because the tech wasn't qualified to do the work!!! Are you kidding me?!? I waited an hour before they attended to me, when they did start, they spent an hour working on 1 wheel... then, they damaged the wheel they started to work on and all of a sudden... the tech isn't qualified to do the work?!? Why wasn't I told before he started to work on the car that the tech wasn't qualified?

I was told by manager/sales rep who was there that morning to call the next day to resolve the issue with the scratches on my wheel and even gifted me a free oil change! Add injury to insult, I would never go back for anything to this facility, let alone an oil change!! I proceeded to file my complaint thru pepsocial@pepboys.com and 5+ days later, I have yet to hear from Senior Management or anyone else for that matter. I am simply irritated and disgusted by the level of professionalism and knowledge this crew had and now even PepSocial in addition to Senior Management!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I had an online appointment at 8 am 12/14/2017 - Store 127 Gainesville FL. I arrived 10 minutes early and the person of the counter Christina ** told me that 2 other customers are ahead of me. I objected since I had my first app of 8 am and no other app were possible to be scheduled earlier than 8 am. She said that I should wait as she waited when she was at the doctor office? Rude and unrelated with present issue. Only ONE mechanic was available for all shop for 10 garage doors/work stations? Waste of resources. Meanwhile 3 receptionists were killing time - playing loud music, dancing, playing computer games and having private conversations across the store. I witnessed a number of customers coming and leaving after they were informed of insufficient mechanics. Lost business due to mismanagement.

The waiting room was dirty on the floor/chairs/tables/windows - Trash on the floor - food wraps/empty water bottles, several days old customer invoices/receipts with private information discarded. The TV was on displaying static- even a cable box was attached to it. The water fountain in the store not working. I had to wait 2 HOURS until the mechanic finally took my car. I explained him the problem I have with one of the upper front strut mounting seats - A round rubber part that was broken. Both struts and spring were ok. I know for sure that since 2 other independent garages identify the problem. The reason I choose Pep Boys was the strut installation promotion 50% = $45-- That was not honored on the invoice - labor charged $289? He ignored me and wrote by hand? An estimate for replacement of both front/rear struts/springs.

Receptionist Christina ** struggled to read the mechanic handwriting for many minutes and made several mistakes on the invoice. I pointed to double charges of 2 different struts she tried to charge me and extra warranty that she did not disclosed to be optional. Over $1300 overcharged!! The numbers on the invoice shows $515 for package subtotal but parts total $563? After my objections she reduced the bill to $979. All other stores estimate was under $150 with no labor/installation discount! I am amazed how this store can survive with such incompetence, bad customer service, scamming customers?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I did not like the service of Pep Boys because I had to repair my air conditioning. They charged me $3500. On the second day stopped working. I went back there. I said it was leaking somewhere else and wants to charge me another $750.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

When we took in my truck, it took them 4 weeks to figure out the problem and find the parts. They talked down to me, they didn't keep me posted with the progress and they ransacked through the inside of my truck. When I contacted the corporate office, they blew me off as well. We took it in again a couple weeks later, thinking the problem was related, to find that it took them another 4 weeks to figure it out and find the parts. These repairs cost me over $1300. I will NEVER use them or promote.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I brought my car in for an oil change and tire rotation. Turned out my tires were worse than I thought, really bad, like unsafe to drive bad. Bare steel belt on one, tread literally coming off on another. My funds were limited, and these guys were so great. I got a great deal, they went above and beyond regarding customer service. As a small business owner and very car-savvy woman, you can take my word for it. I'm going back Friday to have my other two tires done. This is a good shop (Seattle 4th Avenue), good guys. Don't hesitate to bring your car here. And they always have coupons, you can just get them on your phone. $19.99 for an oil change and tire rotation - that's good.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Made a simple oil change appointment for 9 am on Monday, I was at the desk shortly before the appointment time. There was 1 person In line, and 1 service desk employee. Was not even acknowledged until 920. They looked up appointment and told me once a rack cleared up they would get to it. Well after 1 1/2 hours seeing 3 cars coming off the racks and cars being put in them before mine, even though they came in after me. I was told it may be another couple of hours!!! It was obvious they were working on cars first that had more profit in the repairs than my simple oil change with a coupon. If you want to spend a lot of money on repairs expect a small wait, if you're looking for a oil change go somewhere else!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I had just driven down from Canada to Destin, Florida and noticed that the brakes on my Dodge Caravan were softer than they normally are. Took it into PEP Boys and they diagnosed the problem as needing a new master cylinder which they said would be $500 to replace. As I didn't want to drive back to Canada with bad brakes I told them to go ahead. When I picked it up I noticed that the brakes had not improved. When I returned to Canada I took the vehicle to my regular mechanic and he told me the master cylinder wasn't the problem, it was a rear caliper that needed replacing which he did. He said he didn't think the wheels had even been taken off by PEP Boys. The brakes are now working fine but I am out of pocket by $500 (US). When I contacted PEP Boys I was told that I had been told about the caliper at the time but that is a lie. I would not recommend these guys to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Do not ever buy tires or let Pep Boys put tires on your car, they completely destroyed the rims on my 2013 BMW after they put tires on them. Every rim has scratches and gashes and Pep Boys refuses to do anything about it. They offered to refund the cost of putting tires on my car after they destroyed my rims... The rims are around $2000 and they offered to refund $79.95 after they completely damaged my rims. Avoid Pep Boys for anything, they will destroy your car and won't do anything about it afterwards.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

A day trip to celebrate my daughter's birthday ended with our being stranded 1.5 hours away from home. My alternator died on the freeway ramp curbside off South Blvd. Roadside assistance towed us to Pep Boys store #132 on South Blvd. The store was soon to close and didn't have the needed part at their store. Thank God Tony (service manager) was there to make a decision - he gained consent from his awesome mechanics as well as he promised lunch to a mechanic who went to pick up the part (not his job).

That kindness alone was enough to cheer my heart. But, Tony went above and beyond the call, knowing that we were stranded in Charlotte, needed to get home as others needed to get into the house, and we had limited funds. Tony give us excellent repair service in addition to discounts to the very amount of our ability to pay. I'm sure this isn't an everyday practice, but that night, he made my daughter's birthday a blessing above what we could have imagined.

All of Tony employees were wonderful. The store was clean and well organized, and my car runs like new! That was the best car service experience I've ever had. We're certain to visit Tony as often as we are in Charlotte again. Thanks, Pep Boys management for hiring Tony ** and placing him in the South Blvd. store 132. Pep Boys is the best!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I went to Pep Boys for an oil change on Sunday. Tuesday started hearing noises. It became loud. I called Pep Boys. They told me bring it in. I bought it in. They did a second oil change for free & added some other fluids without my consent. The noise continued after the second free oil change. I got it towed to a shop who told me I basically need an engine for lack of oil & I just received an oil change the car was already damaged before the second oil change. Never again. Now they trying to deny my claim & I'm without a car soon to be without a job with no transportation.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My wife and I needed air in our tire. I didn't have a tire gauge, so I stopped at Pep Boys to ask them to please put some air in the tire. At the counter, a new worker replied they would do it and to pull my car in front of the garage door. Another employee met me there and said they couldn't put air in because it was too cold to open and close the garage door. I went inside and the worker behind the counter said they don't open the garage door to put air in tires if it was below 20 degrees. It was 45 degrees!! He said that I could wait, but it would take 30 minutes.

I watched as 6 cars drove inside the garage door and the door opened and closed within 30 seconds each time. There was no reason to wait 30 minutes to get air in a tire. The employees were totally unprofessional and arrogant. The manager called me after I had contacted the headquarters to file a report. He said he was sorry. I asked him what corrective action would occur. He said it is an internal manner. In other words, absolutely nothing was going to be done. I would not recommend Pep Boys for any type of tires or repair. They would have gotten a zero rating if that was an option.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I took my 2009 Dodge Charger to them because I had a radiator leak. They told us our water pump was the problem. This was at the Pep Boys on South Florida Ave in Lakeland Florida. We waited about a week then called them back... They said their mechanic couldnt fix it, so they shipped my car to the North Lakeland Pep Boys without my permission. They claimed to fix it. When we got it home it was smoking. We paid them 1128.oo for nothing. We called them and they picked it up. They told us that our engine was damaged. Our car ran perfect before we took it to them at the beginning when we only had a radiator leak. Ok... They replaced the engine at no charge. We got it back about 3 weeks ago. This morning on my way to work it started smoking. They claim that engine has a 90 day warranty. This is the worst car repair experience I have ever had. I would advise anyone... Only go there for your tires. They are just not trustworthy in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I had my wheel alignment last September 26 2017. After 2 days I brought it back to them because my steering wheel was off to the right by 3 degrees. After a week I brought it back to them because my front passenger side tire was balding on its outer tire and I told them my steering wheel is still not even. As I'm writing this dated October 28 my problem is still not yet solve so I brought my car to another auto shop to have it fixed even though I still have a 90 days warranty.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Dropped off truck for a 12 noon appt to replace bad brake lines and have truck inspected at the Mechanicsburg, PA Pep Boys. Called Saturday night since no one had call me and was informed that they didn't have a chance to look at the truck. Called back Monday night again because no one called me and after 18 minutes on the phone I was told they needed to order the brake lines. Called again Tuesday night and was told the truck wouldn't be ready until Wednesday. Called back Wednesday night again because no one had call me and was told the brakes were completed but the PA inspection machine was broke and should be fixed Thursday morning.

I called once again Thursday night and they told me the truck inspection wasn't complete at which I told them I would just pick it up and go elsewhere but the kicker in the whole mess was that they told me the cash registers were closed so I would have to wait to get the truck Friday. Never again will I go to Pep Boys as this is the worst service by far that I have ever experienced at an auto shop. Hopefully for Pep Boys it's just the Mechanicsburg, PA store and not the norm at all locations.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Purchased set of 4 tires online and site convinced me with simple clicks I could have tires installed at store location. I will never deal with this company again. I received email confirmation of my purchase, scheduled time for my appointment and location address. However, when I arrived the tires hadn't been delivered (I was never notified). Plus this location didn't the equipment to do the alignment I ordered! Store was converted gas station, they have to take my car to another location for the alignment. Manager said this had happened before tires not delivered, no notification to customer, website not aware of services available at locations. Since I had ALREADY PAID for the tires there was nothing I could do but leave and come back once the tires were delivered. Waste of time. PEP BOYS is marketing scam. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. For me I'm telling everyone I know. Don't bother dealing with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I took my car to Visalia, CA Pep Boys in September for an oil change and brake check as they were squeaking and squealing pretty badly. I was told it was fine. Then a month later, brakes now grinding, I go in and now need all 4 pads and two rear rotors to the tune of 800 dollars. I will never go to Pep Boys again. As it was I paid my nephew 250 for parts and labor to do it in his driveway. Total rip off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had electric charging problem, have to jump every time so went to the Pep Boys, because I always go there for tire replacement and oil change for a long time. They said battery and alternator need replaced with new one, but battery was replaced with new one just month before and alternator price was very high, so I bought one from O'Reilly auto part and let Pep Boys installed, but not working good.

They said have to replace with other new one, this time I bought one from Pep Boys' expensive one and let them install. Not working good too, that time service manager said it must be not alternator and told me they are very busy. Even can't test what's wrong and told me come back some other time, with very rude accent. So I ask them to jump my car and come home and next day went to car electric shop, they find easily what's the problem and fix it with little money, problem was not alternator from the beginning, but Pep Boys are just try to make easy money and told me, "You have bad battery, you have bad alternator" etc. If you have some car problem don't trust Pep Boys. They know nothing but changing tire or oil. I just lost $409.37 for nothing. Invoice picture prove I'm telling truth.

I'm posting this for somebody don't know about car problem like me. Don't be cheated from well-known car repair shop.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Date of appointment July 2, 2017. Patchogue # **. I went to Pep Boys for an oil change, filter and spark plugs. I also requested that they check and replenish all fluids. I wanted them to be sure to check the coolant levels since the engine temperature warning light was flashing. Customer service was very disinterested. I had the first appointment of the day. My car was not looked at for an hour. When I received my bill it was not even the correct one. They were very disorganized. They made me wait for four hours. When I questioned them on the time, they seemed to have forgotten my car. When I left, my car was not running any better. There was no difference. The engine temp light was still flashing. It did not seem right. After this, my car performance was no better. I could not drive it much.

One month later I went for an inspection in my neighborhood. I updated him on the recent servicing and that the temp light was still flashing. Well, he told me that the car was down 3 quarts of oil. Impossible if I had just had an oil change. No leaks. Short infrequent trips. To my surprise, I was also short 2 gallons of coolant. No evidence that any of the work that I requested from Pep Boys was ever done. In fact, I left Pep Boys with less oil than I had before the appointment. My appointment for service at Pep Boys was a waste of my time and money. Pep Boys purposely scammed me or are egregiously incompetent. Pep Boys stole my money and put me and my car at risk.

At this point I don't know what harm has been done by them because of their malpractice and negligence. Immediately, I tried to call Pep Boys. The Patchogue store, Corporate number and social media. I could not get through. Same day, I put a dispute of charges with my credit card, Macy's/American Express. Now a few weeks later they closed the case, only getting the price of the oil back for me- 10.95. No other explanation. What about the spark plugs and oil filter, and labor charges? Should have used my Visa. They are more thorough. What can I do now?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Had brakes put on months ago... Grinding already. Went in now. Pep Boys own the place. My warranty is now not in computer... My address was. My car no warranty. I was told to go get paper warranty... That's what computer is for. Besides the damn brakes was no good. I went, bought them and paid mechanic to do the job... Never will I use just brakes again. Looking at all the bad reviews... Something needs to be done. Maybe why it's Pep Boys now!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

If I could give them zero stars I would. I took my son's Envoy XL to them to have the ac repaired on 5/22/2017. I told them it was working, but blowing hot air and I thought it must have a freon leak. They asked if I had a diagnostic run on it to determine what was wrong with it. I told them no. So, they recommended that I have one done. I agreed. They called me and told me that it wasn't the ac. It was the clutch fan motor that needed to be replaced. They quoted me $260 for the parts & $300 for the labor. When I picked it up the bill was nearly $800!

They charged me $330 for the labor and $264 for the parts, plus they included a $35 shop fee that was never disclosed to me. They also automatically included the extended warranty (rip off). I had them remove that. My bill was $713.79. I paid and figured, well at least his ac is working. He pulled out of the driveway and called me immediately to tell me his ac was still blowing hot air. I called them back and their reply, "Well, it was working when we test drove it!" "Well, it's not now" I said. So, they told me to bring it back tomorrow.

Round 2: I took it back and was told it needed assorted other hoses and such replaced. I inquired why this was not discovered with their DIAGNOSTIC! Their reply, "I don't know ma'am. I wasn't the manager working then. He is no longer with us. I'll have to check into that." I guess when they discovered the clutch fan motor wasn't working they figured that would fix it and didn't look any further. "Ok," I said, "go ahead and fix it". Went to pick it up, $281.36. Again, I was charged the $35 shop fee for shop towels and degreasers, etc. I asked them since it was their fault I had to come back a 2nd time in 2 days could they waive that fee as a courtesy. Their reply, "No ma'am, we have to charge that fee every time!" Needless to say I was mad, but agreed and left.

Round 3: 4 days later, "Mom, my ac is blowing hot air!" I called them back. "Well, it was working when we test drove it. I guess you need to bring it back in and we'll look at it." REALLY??? I take it back. This time they call me and tell me there is a hole in the condenser and it will be over $900 to fix it! Again, I asked them, "How did you not catch this on the previous two visits?" Their reply, "Ma'am, I don't know. I wasn't the manager that worked on it. I'll have to look into that!" That's a canned response. Oh, they also had the nerve to suggest that maybe a rock hit the condenser the 4 days he drove it and knocked a hole in it!" They're ridiculous! Obviously, I told them, "Absolutely not!!! I will come pick it up and take it somewhere it can be fixed. If I agreed, you will just tell me next time that it's something else."

Bottom line, I took it to LeeRoy Thomason at Professional Automotive @ 4401 W Jackson St. 850-458-9322. He immediately diagnosed the hole in the condenser. He also discovered that the ac was not working to the back part of the truck and ordered a part for that and replaced that for the part cost only. His total charge for everything, including the extra work to get the back ac working was $700+. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was less than $800. Their quote to just replace the condenser was over $900, and of course that didn't include the SHOP FEE OF $35, their warranty (Ha! Ha!), and taxes and such. It would have been well over $1k on top of the $1k I already paid them.

Sorry for the essay, but people need to know to avoid this place like the plague. There is a reason they have 1 star. I was going to contact corporate, but they have low ratings as well. I'm guessing it's because they don't stand behind their work. By the way, I disputed the charges with my credit card company and Pep Boys has the nerve to say that because I signed for the work that meant I accepted it and it was working. NO, they make you sign when you pay in order to give you your keys. Sorry! That doesn't prove anything. Then, they say if you aren't happy you can bring it back and we'll check it again for free. REALLY? I took mine back twice after the initial visit. They may check it for free, but they won't repair it for free! It will cost you dearly.

Take note Pep Boys! This is not over. If this cannot be resolved with my credit card company I will see you in small claims court over this. You need to stop ripping people off. This is one person that will not stop until I receive restitution!!! I have never disputed a claim for services rendered in my life. But this is such a blatant rip off that I could not take it! I gave you two opportunities to fix an ac. If you don't have the skills to fix things then just say it! Stop selling parts in an attempt to find the solution!

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information

www.pepboys.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use