1.34/5

736 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Charged $128/tire - Tire prices are actually 3x (compared to Amazon). Labor is over $80/hour. In our case (** Pensacola) they left us waiting outside while taking the lunch break without even bothering to tell us. These are ** crooks, hope they (mechanics, employee and ceo) will do serious time, there are no ** customer protection laws in this banana republic?!? APPARENTLY NOT.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

2004 Volvo S80 gas pump replacement - Asked for $650 invoking extensive labor to get to the gas tank and expensive parts for "evil" Volvo. Answer: back seat cushion takes 30 seconds to access the gas pump. Part is $60 and labor is 30 minutes (while taking a smoke break after 15 minutes, in reality, labor should be 15 minute top, of course, if you know what you are doing). It turned out that the pump was just clogged, bought a fuel cleaner ($10 for auto parts) and it's all back to normal. These crooks should be in ** jail, do not worry, that day is not far.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This is second time in my life I ever write the type of review you about to read... This time I just could not wait to share my opinion about the Pep Boys service center in Woodland Hills. I brought my 1999 Corolla there at 9AM to replace the thermostat. Only to find out around 2PM (because I called them) that they can't do it because one of the bolts is stripped. They told me they tried to get ahold of me but I was not answering... because they called my son's phone number instead. Anyway they told me they did not touch anything else because of the bolt (mechanic was present when I was picking up the car "with hand on the Bible". He said nothing else was touched).

I went to Autozone in Canoga Park to buy some tools to do the job myself. On the way back my car overheated with steam coming out from under the hood. Long story short they did touch other things and broke the radiator right on the top. On my way home after adding water I was passing by Pep Boys again and stopped there to discuss this... They said it was fragile and they did break it, but said it is not their fault. And I agreed again that maybe it was fragile. BUT they knowingly have let me drive off their lot with the car they broke which was not driveable. Manager of this shop Richard ** was very rude and he clearly did not appreciate me making those problems. Well I don't like him as well... He refused to help with anything at all even with adding more water to the radiator so I can get home. Instead he told me if I think I can get a new radiator from this it is not happening.

Next day I purchased a new radiator and thermostat from Autozone and replaced both parts myself within 2 hours. Total parts cost was $135. (New radiator and thermostat.) Pep Boys wanted to charge me $160 at discounted rate for the radiator (part only) as an "I am sorry deal". Which I definitely refused. My problem is the big cover-up and "we can't do anything wrong" attitude at this location. When I mentioned to them that 4 years ago same location was doing tire rotation on my son's Acura and 1 day later they towed his car from 101 Freeway because on the way to college, his front wheels almost came off due to them not tightening the wheel nuts (this could have be a tragedy). Yes they fixed everything back then.

Anyway when I brought it up, this time they told me they have completely new team including managers so nothing like this can happen and this is completely different shop nooo... HAHAHA. I never had issues with Pep Boys as a parts store but they are definitely not suppose to be a repair shop. With incident they lost me not only as a customer for the auto repairs but also as the customer for their parts. It was a bit long but I hope informative enough for you to know what you are signing for when deciding to take your car for service there. BUT yes they are conveniently located...

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I paid this "repair shop" over $400 to repair my power windows. When after spending many hours waiting for them to determine the problem, they still couldn't get the necessary part to fix them and despite my repeated attempts to get a refund, all they do is try to get me to go back and discuss what can be done and refuse to give me back my money. Pep Boys in Tampa FL are absolute thieves and I will regret ever trusting them for a long time!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Beware Ladies. Pep Boys thinks women are stupid. They advertise prices for services on their website. I took my car in to diagnose my A/C problem and their website states prices start at $34.99 for A/C diagnostic. I was charged $169.95. When I asked the Supervisor why I paid so much he proceeded to tell me I needed extra coolant. I guess he thinks I'm an idiot and believe extra coolant cost over $100.00. I then received an email from a Manager telling me I was looking at the wrong pricing on their website. So, two members of management blatantly lied with two different excuses for overcharging me. Be very careful when getting service from these crooks. Especially the ladies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When I purchased my vehicle I was offered an oil change booklet through Pep Boys thinking this would save me money I went with it, 1st mistake. When the time came I went for an oil change which took about an hour. All I got was the oil change. They did not check my filters, fill my washer fluid or my power steering fluid or any of the other things that your typical Valvoline would in oh, 20 minutes. Now here is my 2nd mistake, after my 1st horrible experience I decide to go back another one of my coupons, because well I paid for them. This time I made am appointment at 8am (first slot) thinking I'd be in and out, but I was wrong... An employee decided he didn't want to work that day so my appointment was pushed back without notification. After 30 minutes I complaint was given the reason and offered a free oil change. When I reminded the gentleman that I already had a free oil change there was nothing else he could offer. I took my keys and left.

My 3rd mistake was rescheduling the appointment, this time I was on to them and watched everything. After 10 minutes of my car not being pulled into the bay to be worked on at its allotted appointment, I asked what was going on? I was told regardless of an appointment it's 1st come 1st serve. I questioned the gentleman what was the point of the appointments and given no good reason just told 1st come 1st serve. I will never return and have accepted my financial loss. If I could give a star rating in the negative I would.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Pep Boys service takes way too long and they always overcharge you. They quote one price and charge you another. They always trying to upsell you. Best advice, don't go there period!!! I always go to get my oil changed there with coupons, I thought I was paying for an oil change and air filter when I was charged an extremely high price until I looked at my receipt and realized they only charged me for a high mileage oil change for $89.00 that I never asked for. When I called back to talk to the employee, she said that it cost so much because of the special oil, but my car doesn't require that type of oil. I have never paid that much for an oil change in my life and won't ever again. They will never get my business. Ripoffs plain and simple!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Less than a year ago, my starter went out. I took it to Pep Boys to buy a new one. Last week my starter went out again because they had sold me a used, rebuilt starter without telling me it was used. When I brought it back, I was also greeted with rude, lazy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Appointment at 7:30 Saturday morning, 9:30 they said it would be the rest of the day to get parts. They took me home saying they would keep in touch. Sunday they still didn't have one of the parts. Closing time Sunday they called saying there was another problem, the engine was overheating and the head gasket was blown, the radiator was empty. The repairs would be another $1500. I spoke with the manager reminding her that I had just had the car in about a month before for her to check all fluid levels. She assured me they were all full and I had nothing to worry about. I told her that I would be in in the morning and not to do anything more to the car.

I paid for the AC repair and called AAA to take the car to another place and I made arrangements to rent a car while they were checking the problems. I was just about to get in the rental car and I got a phone call from the other repair place. I could come and get my car, there was nothing wrong with it, the head gasket was NOT blown and the radiator was full. They drove it for about 1/2 hour and it never overheated. I am a senior citizen, a woman and a widow. I feel they were just taking advantage of me. When I went on Monday to see about the car I took a man that lives next door and he talked to the mechanic and determined that he didn't even know what had been done to the car.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had a coupon for oil change at my Moriah location. $30 oil change good for 5qts of oil, I understand that 6qts is needed. But 7qts! Now a $30 oil change has turned into $50. Never ever will I use Mt Moriah location again$$$ bad business to do that. I will tell you don't go to that location. Mt Moriah Pep Boys overcharged.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I went into this Pep Boys after my battery died due to some issues I was having accelerating after I get to a red light. I was told the car will be towed for only $25 since Pep Boys is only 3 miles from my house. A guy called Jon at the desk tells me I need to replace the serpentine belt which makes the battery run for a whopping $150?! I was first upset, but since I knew whatever was causing the acceleration issues killed the battery, I felt relieved that I was at least solving the root cause of my car issues. I even asked if this may be the reason the car was slowly accelerating and eventually killed the battery and the guy said this was possible. I was naturally happy to pay the $150 plus the $140 battery price to fix what I thought was the problem as confirmed by the incompetent mechanics at Pep Boys. Plus, the guy told me I will get a fifty percent discount which will take down my bill to $169?! If I became a member.

I was naturally excited. A few minutes after agreeing to the service. Jon of Whitehall Pep Boys said he meant 50 percent off $50 tow bill?! Not only did they lie about tow fees, but they also trick you into agreeing to unwanted service. To make things worse, after they were done with their incompetent service. I got in my car and of course, the acceleration problem that killed my almost my brand new battery was still very much present?! Not willing to kill the $140 new battery, I returned the car and told them to figure out what was wrong with the car.

They were trying to charge me $40 to replace a my brake lights in addition? How ridiculous is that? Am pretty sure I did not even need the $150? Serpentine belt?! And they charged me ridiculous things like overtime $16.53? Why am I being charged for their overtime?! Another 10 bucks battery protection services I never asked for? I just hope I get someone remotely knowledgeable when I go pickup the car tomorrow. Last time I am ever stepping foot in a Pep Boys store! They are a bunch of incompetent crooks, stay away from them!!! I have always hated mechanics, that's why I bought a Honda, but Pep Boys take the mechanic's crookedness need to the next level.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I went into Pep Boys Canyon Country to get a $24.00 oil change. They said they wouldn't do it because of leaks and said to fix everything would cost $704.73 including: R&R oil pan/oil pan gasket-$441.23, Pep Guard Limited Extended Labor Warranty (which I never ordered), R&R axle shaft right-172.50, and a National Output Shaft Seal-$24.98. I then took it to a dealership that told me only the transmission pan gasket needs to be replaced. I then took it to a local Muffler Shop who told me that the axle boot tear is not a threat to the car, no big deal he said. This Pep Boys location are still crooks after all these years. They tried to rip me off 10 years ago by upselling things I don't need and I thought maybe with time their scandalous ways would die out! Maybe this all comes from Corporate. I wouldn't recommend this business to even the owner of Pep Boys!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Last February 2018 I went to Copans Road Pep Boys in FL for my green Toyota Corolla 2009. After they charge me $460.00 They ask me Who last fix my car. I said it was fixed by Pep Boys in West Sunrise near Sawgrass Mills for $835.00. They said that they cut and bypass something on my car that could kill me. I call corporate. Then they have me tow the car to Pep Boys in Sunrise near Sawgrass Mills in Fl. Then they told me nothing wrong with the car. Now on 08/14/2018 my car is in front of the Pep Boys parking lot located at 2100 North University Drive, Coral Springs, Fl. They told me mechanics from Pep Boys mess up my car. They can't fix it after they have me pay $630.00 from this location. (2100 N University Drive.)

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

On July 7th, 2018 I dropped my car off at Pep Boys (Druid Hills Location) for them to run a test on my car to figure out what was wrong with my air conditioning. They called me back July 8th, and told me I needed a new compressor (they said it would be about $200), a power steering flush, a radiator flush, and a brake flush. They said all together, it was going to be $1,300. I asked them if there was any way they could go down on the price because I said that seemed high, and Marcus said they would be happy to give me a 20% discount. They said they had the parts they needed in the shop, and that my car would be ready tomorrow (July 10th).

I called the next day, and they said the compressor was not in yet, and were waiting on it to be delivered, and that should have my car ready by the end of the day. I called at the end of the day, my car was not yet ready. I called the next day, and the next day, for six more days, and they continued to tell me the same thing. They finally called me on 7-13-18 and let me know my car was ready. I went to get my car, and the manager (Raul **) said it was going to be $1,900. I was floored by the price, and told him this was not the price I was quoted. I told him that Marcus ** had quoted me, with the 20% off, at $1,090. He said he could not get it down that low, but if I wanted to pull up a 20% coupon ONLINE, that he could use that on the entire bill.

I felt played and lied to by Marcus that the coupon I was getting was an online deal that any customer can google and find. I thought that because I was bringing almost $2,000 worth of business to Pep Boys, that they were going to give me a discount because I am a student and do not make very much money. The price I ended up paying, after not wanting to deal with dishonest Pep Boys employees anymore, was $1,441.71. When, I had initially been quoted $1,300. Marcus also told me that there would be no tax - which did not sound right, but when I went to pay, there was tax added to the bill. Overall, the communication and lies were difficult to deal with, and made me very upset that I had chosen Pep Boys to fix my air.

On the way home from Pep Boys, my air worked for about 15 minutes, and it quit again. I had to travel out of town and drive four hours to Tennessee the very next day, and had no time, money, or energy, to take my car back to Pep Boys. I called them and told them that my air was not working, AGAIN, and that I paid almost $1500, and my air still did not work. He said I could bring it back in and they would take a look at it for me. I took my car back in into Pep Boys on August 8th after returning from being out of town, and Raul went outside to look at my car, and he walked back in and said I needed a new compressor. My jaw dropped and I was floored. I had just left my car at Pep Boys for a week a few weeks before, and spent $1,441 on a new compressor and labor of putting in that new compressor, and now they are telling me the exact same thing is wrong with my car.

I voiced this and how confused I was that the new compressor they supposedly put into my car already did not work, and Raul said they do not get new parts sent to them, and that sometimes the parts they get are faulty. I was floored by this comment as well. Why am I paying almost $500 for a part that is NOT NEW and does not work when it is installed into my car? I left my car there that night, and he said it would be ready the next day.

I called an Uber to pick me up from Pep Boys, and spent $18 on a ride home because the air in my car was still not working. As the Uber driver pulled out of Pep Boys, I called them immediately and asked whoever answered the phone to please roll up my SUNROOF window, because it looked like it was going to storm. I had been riding with my windows and sunroof down because it was 90 + degrees in Atlanta during the summer and I have black leather interior. In order not to have a heat stroke, I was riding with all my windows down. Had Pep Boys fixed my air correctly the first time, I would not had to have driven everywhere with all my windows down. The employee who answered the phone said that was no problem and that he would roll my sunroof up.

I called the next day, and Raul said it was not ready, and that they were waiting for my new compressor to come in from Arizona. This was confusing to me, because he had once again said they had the part in the store, and that it would be ready the next day. Three more days go by, and they continue to tell me that my car is not ready.

On Saturday, the 11th, I called that morning and Lia said my car was ready. I had my ride drive me to Pep Boys, I walked inside, and she handed me my keys and told me I didn't have to sign anything and that I was good to go. I was confused why all my windows were down, but I figured they had cleaned the inside of my car or something and they were letting it air out.

As soon I opened my door, a strong musty smell covered up by a sickening air freshener smell hit me in the face, and I noticed that my two front seats were grayed, cracked, and ruined from water from a huge rain and thunderstorm that had hit Atlanta over the past couple days (August 8th-11th). The entire front half of my car on the inside was wet, musty, damp, and books that I had in my front seat were damaged from water. I was immediately upset, and realize that the man on the phone the few days before did not roll up my sunroof window like he said he was going to do. The interior of my car is ruined. I walked back inside and told Lia what was going on, and a mechanic who was sitting up front in the waiting room, started yelling and cussing at me, and told me that my car was a “piece of ** and that my “sunroof must be leaking”. My sunroof is COMPLETELY intact, and I have NEVER ONCE had any sort of leak in my car.

I told them I would be contacting corporate and that I was extremely upset by the service that I have received at this Pep Boys. As I was driving home, my car was extremely bouncy, and every tiny bump I hit, my car seemed to bounce up and down in an extremely unsafe way. It is also clear that the suspension on my car has been messed with. My car drove perfectly smooth on the way to Pep Boys on the 8th. Unless they intentionally messed with my suspension, or drove my car off of the lot and hit a bunch of potholes in a reckless manner, my car should still drive smooth when I pick my car up. My car was perfectly fine other than the air not working when I brought it into Pep Boys. Now my air is working, $1,500 later, but the interior of my car is completely ruined, which will cost thousands of dollars to have fixed, and my suspension in my car is completely off, which costs about $1,500 to have fixed.

I am LIVID and so so sad that this is the way I was treated by these employees and this company. I am filing a claim with my insurance that Pep Boys has ruined the inside of my car and made my car unsafe to drive. I will make sure I am paid what I need to be paid to have all of this fixed in my car, and Pep Boys is going to pay, because Pep Boys was careless with this customer, and took advantage of my wallet and my patience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Saturdays had an appointment at 10 am, didn't get checked in until 11:30 because no one was available in front desk, finally they got to me, they want me to tell them what was the problem and I took it for a diagnosis. Finally they find the problem, I ask how long to fix it, Harry said an hour, I was there 7 hours waiting and then they lost my keys. Finally they find my keys and the only word that came out of the manager was, "It wasn't my fault." No sorry, no compassion, Really bad customer service, my car still has the same problem.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I took my vehicle to a Pep Boys for a simple oil change. They cross threaded the filter. Knew they did it but let me leave anyway. Found oil all over my garage floor. I took it to the nearest location to have them fix it properly which took two days. Got the vehicle home only to find they left the engine cover off as well as the oil cap. Complete incompetence... service is garbage, techs are garbage, stores I went are garbage. Do not take your vehicle there if you care about it at all. Run... run fast, run hard and never look back. I would give them negative stars if possible.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Stopped at Pep Boys by my house due to noise from my engine was a loud rattling sound... Dropped off my car. The next day they call me back and tell me it has major problems... I need a new timing chain. Well I told them I do not have the 2000 to fix it today and it will have to wait. Well I took it to the mechanic by my house and he diagnosed it all... My engine needed oil. That was it... the timing chain is perfect... They were just trying to line their pockets. Hollywood, FL Pep Boys on Stirling.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Pep Boys Howell NJ has a prompt for a tow service. It is non existent. 12 hours later. No phone call. I double char led the number after they dropped the call twice. Why advertise a service you don’t provide?

Original review: July 21, 2018

Online given price for tires with installation - 419. Got their charges 659. When questioned they said nothing. I have proof of the charge and they proceeded to say I needed brakes, tie rods. A joke I just had done 6 months ago. They overcharged a lot. I have the paper to show price. Don’t ever go there. Wanted 1200 to do the stuff I already had done.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Car trouble today. Went to back counter. Nobody greeted us. We kept saying hello??? Walked to the cashier to ask if anyone was working. She stuck her finger up and told me to wait! We have waited!!! And waited! We will never be back!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a tire full price. Vehicle returns to me without ANY of the front left wheel nuts screwed on, wheel falling off, to LITERALLY ASSASSINATE ME the minute I hit the interstate!!!! Also, new tire not even installed! 2-3 weeks later, new tire is flat. Insurance was never offered to me, so of course a further scam! I wish law enforcement wasn't 400% completely impotent against these businesses.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Every time I call for information regarding service no one knows nothing. Who in the hell is training these people? The guy didn't know what size tires that I was looking for. No one knows anything at the one in Los Angeles on Crenshaw near Rodeo. Stay away. You might get the wrong part. Ask to speak to a manager. They don't know what the hell going on either. I'll stay with AutoZone.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Very impressed with the quality of work. Mr. ** is awesome, great, knowledgeable and care. There were no surprising extra costs as other shops do. He took care of all of my car problems. I will be using this service again. He was very professional and courteous. Clearly he know what he's doing and is a very capable mechanic. I felt very comfortable having him work on my car and we chatted about quite a few things automobile related. Clearly, he's passionate and love helping people like me and my wife who don't know nothing about car repair. Now my car is on good hand all my worries is gone. Please visit this location (store #0436) ask for him and see for yourself. Thank you Mr. **. You rock.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I brought my car in on a Sunday afternoon, knowing EXACTLY what was leaking and from where. Gave them specific instructions about it, and stressed that I needed the car back by end of day Monday. I was assured it would be one of the first cars worked on in the morning. I read through the work order to make sure the information was clear, which it was.

Monday night just before closing, I'm told on the phone that they couldn't find the leak off. Told them again which fluid was leaking, and from where. They promised it would be the first car worked on Tuesday morning. Repeat this same process Tuesday night. Wednesday at 2 pm I went there, to be told that they would pull my car in next. This is now 3 days I'm without a car for a simple fluid leak. I took my car somewhere else, and will NOT be back.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Went for oil change. They didn't add single drop of oil in my car. My car engine could seized. Worst and horrible experience. Never expected this from Pep Boys. Eventually they agreed about oil fraud and after bunch of calls refunded my money but my car engine was on risk. Be aware from Pep Boys.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Sunday night. 07 Nissan Titan was leaking fluid near back tire. Pulled over at hotel as I was traveling thru town- arrived Monday at Pep Boys in Irondale, AL (ONLY REPAIR SHOP). Was told need new rear wheel bearing so agreed to do work and told them was traveling. After several hours mechanic opened up rear end and drained fluid, at this point he told us we probably needed a new rear end. He said he would change the bearing and "hope it would get us home." After test driving the vehicle he heard a noise still and "changed the brake pads at no cost to us."

After test drive he still heard the noise but again said it should make it home to get repairs (AFTER WE JUST PAID $456.00). 30 minutes away the vehicle broke down again and we had to have the truck towed from Hattiesburg, MS to Madisonville, LA. Apparently the seal on bearing was not put on correctly and now the rear end has burnt up because all the fluid leaked out. I will be seeking legal counsel!

Original review: July 9, 2018

On Monday, July 9th, I stopped at the Pep Boys location in Ardmore, PA., around 12 noon. I wanted to have a headlight replaced on my wife's car. I was told they could not do it, until 1:00 PM. I returned a little after 1:00 PM. Waited fifty minutes, was then told my car was ready. However the headlight was had not been replaced. It then took less than five minutes to replace the bulb. Very disappointed in the service at the Pep Boys location. Doubt if I will use them again. Lots of other choices for car service in the greater Philadelphia area.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I am in the middle of an awful experience with Pep Boys. I went to Pep Boys to get my brakes checked. Yes, I knew I needed the rear brakes done. They diagnosed the problem and came back with both front and back brakes. The front brakes could wait a couple of months, but the back were metal to metal. The vehicle was there at the service center for 5 hours. They broke the parking cable and was honest about it! Said I needed to come back to repair the parking cable. Before I could drive the vehicle home, the battery was dead. They played dumb about the situation and charged the vehicle. Apparently the tech left the key in the on position and ran the battery down after 5 hours. They did a quick charge only to get the vehicle out of the servicing garage. Once out, they could care less if the vehicle started or not.

I made an appointment to be the brake cable done at 12 noon the next day, but they were hesitant in making the appointment. I wanted to come in earlier but they said they needed to get the part from the dealer and the service person does not come in until 11. So now, I am inconveniencing their time for them breaking my parking cable. I showed up earlier the next day than my appointment time. The back breaks was making a thumping sound. They said they would check into the problem. I had not here back from them after 3 hours, so I stopped by to check the status. They said they got the wrong part and it would take a couple of hours. The part was on the way! I received a call 3 hours later and said the vehicle was ready. I went to pick up the vehicle and drove off.

After about 30 minutes of driving, the thumping sound came back. I called and returned to the store only to leave for another 3 hours. Apparently, the shoes were not fitted properly. I received a called and said the vehicle was ready. I test drove the vehicle with the assistant manager and there was no thumping noise at the time. There was squeaking, but he assured me that this would go away after a few days since the brakes were new!

I drove around for a while on my own and the thumping noise came back. The store was closed so I waited to call them back the next day. I called and complained about the thumping noise and they said to bring in. It was Fathers Day and I had plans. I did complain and said that it does not take almost 24 hours to fix back brakes. I am not happy about the services and do not have peace of mind they are even done right or have a qualified person to work on brakes. I was told that if I should get them done somewhere else, bring back the parts and they will credit me 100%.

I chose to get them done elsewhere and did show back up with their parts. They refused to credit my account because they needed a copy of the receipt from the other place. (He could not explain the reason.) I said you did not tell me this and all I needed to do was bring back Pep Boys parts! I did not have the receipt on me at the time and could not return the same day as I was leaving on a trip.

Today is the day, I will show up with the parts and receipt. I hope I don't get anymore attitude from the workers at Pep Boys. They are happy to take your money, do a poor job in their service and then make you feel as you're the problem. Managers and assistant managers were never around to address the issue until I complained to corporate as I was sitting waiting for my vehicle to get serviced on the 3 try. I will never return to Pep Boys and will never recommend to anyone. I believe they are scammers and tried to get away with not putting in new parts that were paid for.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Came in for an advertised oil change Mobil 1 synthetic @ $59. Curious I asked what kind of oil filter they use. I learned it is the cheapest filter they sell - NOT the proper Mobil 1 filter. Not happy about that I purchased a Mobile 1 filter in the store. While in the store I see Mobil 1 on sale. If I buy the oil and filter in the store ($43.00) I pay them for labor $22 and get a superior (proper Mobil 1) oil filter. Back at the service department I tell the service writer Mobil 1 is on sale... He says, "We got the same oil right here." The service writer, writes it up gives me the estimate to sign and I notice he is charging me regular price for the oil (even though it is on sale), a labor charge plus I just paid $15 for a filter. Total $85. When I called it to his attention - he never looked at me. He just walked away - too busy and not interested in hearing that I just busted his little con.

People you need to keep your eyes on these slick Pep Boys con men. If I insist on buying the oil and filter inside the store, carry it out to service and insist they use what I just bought the total cost is $65 including their labor charge of $22. Instead of creating a pleasant customer experience with the potential to do the brakes (the vehicle has 60,000 miles), and other necessary services, these ankle biters would rather beat you for $20 and lose any future business. Pep Boys needs to rethink their commission and bonus structure to include long-term profit from repeat business - NOT hit and run.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Called and asked if they could remove nail and patch tire. Got there and they basically told me I had to replace all of them for $800. I had just gotten my tires inspected by Ford. They refused to patch tire or even replace the single one. Scam artists. Not artists, though, just scammers.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information