Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.31/5

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

784 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I took my car to the Pep Boys in Houston location on Louetta and asked if they could check the air in my tires. The Manager went out and, I'm guessing, to tell the technicians to check my tires. I waited and waited for over 15 minutes and they never looked my way. I was standing by my car waiting for assistance. I figured they were not interested in my business so I left. I actually should thank them. I went right down the street to Discount Tires. They were courteous, punctual and even took the time to find a nail in my tire. So thank you Pep Boys for allowing me to take my car to a real professional venue. I promise you will never see me at a Pep Boys again for anything!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had really bad experience at the Pep Boys when I went there for service. I was overcharged for labor. I have reached at the store around 5.35pm they did not start working on my car until 6.30pm. They gave me my car fixed at 8.15pm but they charged me for 4 hours of labor. They did not even worked for not more than 2 hours on my car. Without my permission he called Lyft to send me home. He charged me before he started working on my car.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Friday February 8th at 4 pm I dropped off my 2016 Jeep Cherokee for a simple wheel alignment and rotation. I wanted this because I had spent $800 a year ago on new tires for this car from Pep Boys and just wanted the suggested maintenance done to them. They said the car would be ready by Saturday but I was going out of town so I told them I’d be picking it up Sunday morning. Sunday February 10th I walked into the Pep Boys to get my car after nobody returned my call on the phone asking about my car. When I got there they said they forgot to do the service on my car and that it would be done in 30 minutes and it was 1:30 pm at the time. I was pretty mad at this point considering having to wait when I left it for 2 days ago so I decided to watch them do everything just to make sure nothing weird was going on.

Soon after my car was driven onto a lift and then was left there to sit for 10 mins. My car was then taken off the lift after not being raised up or anything done to it at all. Knowing that it's not uncommon to get scammed at car places I checked the tread on the tires prior to leaving the car. The service was awful and a little shady so I checked my tires to see if they had been rotated and they hadn’t been. I told the guy as he was trying to ring me up and he then froze up and told me they had forgot. Knowing that he was lying I started to question if they had aligned the tires. Even so I told the guy I thought they were lying because they never lifted the car off the ground or even put the alignment panels on the wheels at all. They claimed they did it but told me they would redo everything and credit me for everything.

Keep in mind they were straight up lying to my face because I watched them do everything in the waiting room which has a viewing window. This was an obvious scam being run. They are acting like they are doing rotations and alignments but aren’t doing anything at all. I spend at total of 3 hours today at Pep Boys when I was only supposed to be there for 2 mins. This cost me time making money and who knows how many people have been scammed because I just got lucky and caught it. This is very unlawful and if needed I will get an attorney involved. Hopefully you decide to fire these employees for their lying to customers and scamming them. The ratings for this place online are already awful enough. Just go investigate yourself. Just try and bring your car to this place and you’ll see what I mean.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I take of my car well. Never had a problem. I go in for new wheels. They have to realign the wheels. They use a rubber hammer. 1 week later my compressor for my ac dies. The spinning wheel on it is wobbly. It's located on the bottom of the engine. I didn't hit nothing for it to become wobbly. Went back. I need a new one. Costs and labor over 1k. Not long after. I went in for new brakes. "You need new rotors." "Just brakes for now." "You need them now." "It's for your safety or we can't do it." So 'cause of finances they did the back rotors and brakes 'cause some life left in the front. They also did an inspection WHICH TURNED OUT FINE? Not long after I'm going in reverse and there's this crunching sound. 'Cause I just paying off a sum I had to hold off so in 2 weeks' time. The sound was from crunching to squeaking to the sound of a tire rubbing.

Mostly only when I pull out. Or after the long drive. When I park. So I started looking up all possibilities. Couldn't be the transmission fluid. I did need new fluid. So on my own I changed it. The car seemed better. But it turned out the sound was just taking some time off so again I kept looking it up and it showed it could come from after new brakes and rotors. So now I have to go back. I use their Synchrony card. Which a day after I let them know about it but it was a busy day and said I'll come back on the weekend. Shockingly my limit was raised. So I bring it in and tell them the noise coming from the back. Remember I passed inspection. I also needed brake fluid. Coolant. Oil change. Fan belt change after giving ok. They bring me into the garage. "It's not the back. You need new brakes and rotors in the front." So I spend all day there.

I see the guy talking low to the manager. Sound like something not working. I said, "Hi. That's my car. What's not working." "All is fine." I need another bottle of oil. It takes 7 bottles. I'm like, "What." My car always and only takes 6. Before he gets upset. "You're the chef." Meaning just like a chef you don't want someone mess with your food. So I go with him and say, "There it goes." None points to something else. I'm like. "What's that." REGULAR OIL. "What. My car takes synthetic." "Your car told me it takes regular." Huh I have no option I ever seen. My manual and etc. Of all times was always synthetic. So. They had to drain the wrong oil which you know leftovers are still on the walls inside. It gets worse hold on. Well all is down. They pull it out. And it's crunching more than before the sound. He drives it around. Can't figure where it's from.

Now it sounds like by the front tire. They put it on the lift. And the guy starts grabbing parts and shaking them. Forgot the name. The long pole in the middle that turns when you drive. Well grabbing and shaking on that. After a while. He says it's this box. Or the pole right where it enters. It's the transfer case. And it's making even more noise. "Oh we don't know about that here. You need to go somewhere else." Now I have a long ride home and it's crunching the whole time. That I'm praying I'll make it home. They charged me $903. Which filled up my card again. I'm screwed. I go to Ford which is my car and had to ask about their card. The people who do that ain't there on Saturday. Called my bank to increase my credit. It worked. They had to changed the case for a new one. If you catch the problem early. Sometimes you just need new fluid.

But after Pep Boys touched it. Was done. $1800. Also Pep Boys didn't notice there was a leak in my front wheel suspension. So I emailed the head office and they made a case which I didn't know much. I was like, "I'm not going to sue." 'Cause it's hard to win against garages. That's more money. Well they said the shop has 48 hrs to contact me which he did. "How can we help you. Come to the shop. See what we can do." I'm like, "I'm not bringing my car there again." They didn't know what the problem was and how to fix it. He suppose to look into it further of the cameras. "But what can we do for you." I said, "Lower my card." "I'll see what I can do." Never hear from him in a week. I texted him 'cause he called in the morning and I knew less which now is their insurance suppose to pay for what they did wrong.

So the text is in detail and common sense 'cause the cams are above the cars while they're under. Just as you read this whole thing. Common sense will tell you. No response so I did the email again. Their heads will look into it. And now it's been a week again. Look the workers take orders so they're all doing what the boss wants. Again. No problems till I went there. I left Ford with car almost like new again. Have to go back for suspension 'cause of money. Avoid them at least that store at all cost. ** I'm happy then upset again I backed up to this when it asked to show a receipt. Was happy 'cause when you wait. They give you papers what they're doing and what you ask for.

Then they give you a new receipt. There's says I mention a noise coming from the transfer case when mine said a noise from the back wheels. I was ecstatic I had even more proof. Stupid me said if they need it. He took a page. The one where I mention the noise from the wheels which was the whole reason. I'm not the mechanic. Not only they took that paper. From me looking for it I see even more bs. It says congratulations. I have made a smart decision to protect myself from future labor costs. It says I purchased a labor extended warranty it's on the back page. But it's not on the receipt. Oh it's on. It's like they're use to this. So prepared. Omg!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

During the polar vortex, my daughter's car wouldn't start. She is away from home as a full time college student. She took her car, which wouldn't start without a jump, to Pep Boys Bloomington In. They said she needed a new battery and a new alternator- $500. After getting it on the lift to repair the alternator, they said the struts just fell out due to corrosion- non drivable- Now the fix, $1500. Just 3 years ago the front suspension was fixed when we had recall work done at the Hyundai dealership.

Unbeknownst to Pep Boys, My husband, who is a top fuel dragster mechanic and , drove 200 miles to look at the car. The struts were fine- although they looked us in the eye saying it couldn't be driven. We drove the car off the lot and took it to a mechanic friend with a lift -we needed one to look at the struts and we needed the machine to check the alternator and battery. The battery was fine, the alternator was fine and the struts were still intact. It is almost like they were preying upon an out of town student. Thank heavens we drove there before we authorized the repairs on things that didn't even need repaired! Thank heavens my husband is a mechanic- And we had the time to drive the miles to check it out! We would have been out $1500 in repairs that weren't needed!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I placed and online order for 4 new tires with installation. Website stated tires could be available in store in 3 days. I made an appointment for 4 days later, and took a day off from work. When I arrived at the location, I was asked by the counter clerk if I was called that my tires were in. I said no, and was told that it would take 3 days and that I was allowed to make an installation appointment for that time. He just shrugged and said “We don’t get shipments in until Friday, so you have to wait until we call you.” I explained that I wasted a vacation day at work and he obviously didn’t care.

I reached out to Pep Boys' customer service, and was promised “Senior Management” would reach out to me by phone within 48 hours. That of course didn’t happen. This morning, I received an email that my order was canceled because I did not show up for my appointment. I reached back to customer service, and was told that the regional manager logged in the system that he tried to call me yesterday at 3:00. I received no call or message. I was told I would receive a call today. Still waiting. Pep Boys is obviously a joke of a company not interested in business, whose senior managers make a practice of lying to corporate about client complaints. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I went to Pep Boys in Santa Fe, NM to have my driver's side low-beam light bulb replaced. I knew I could have probably fixed the blown out bulb myself, but it was on my driver's side and I would have to remove my car's battery to get to it. I am well aware of Pep Boys' bad reputation, but I stupidly thought "it's just a little light bulb, a quick fix, they can't mess that up, can they?". My mistake! They definitely can!

When I took my car in, the only problem was the blown out driver's side low beam, both my high-beams/DRLs worked and my passenger side low-beam still worked. I dropped my car off and waited, after about 45 minutes the mechanic (I really hate calling him this, because he really isn't one) brought my key back and said it was done. He also told me that he "had trouble getting it in because whoever had installed the bulb last had forced it in and 'broken' the connector the bulb goes into, but not to worry because he got it in". I thanked him, paid and went to my car to leave. I tested my lights and my driver's side low beam was still out.

I went back inside and got him, he came out and tried forcing the bulb in and told me "see this is what I'm talking about, the bulb is supposed to click into place, but whoever installed it last broke the connector, but don't worry it's actually a quick fix." I asked him if he could replace the connector for me and he said he couldn't do it at the shop for me because "Pep Boys' mechanics are licensed to do electricals (what the heck are lightbulbs btw??) but that he can do it for me under the table on his day off". I stupidly agree, thinking I don't have much of a choice and that this part needs to be replaced.

I drive off and notice that my DRL indicator is lit up on my dashboard. I get out and see that both my daylight running lights are now out, once it gets dark I notice that both my brights are now out as well. I am now driving with literally only one light, just my passenger-side low-beam, all other lights (that had all worked fine before the visit) are now out.

I take my car to a real mechanic thinking it might be a blown fuse or something, but no, fuses are fine. Actually the connector is fine too. The only real problem is that the guy at Pep Boys is a big, shady idiot! He had removed the bulb from the driver's side bright/DRL (which was fine when I took it there and did not need to be replaced) and was trying to force the bulb that belonged in the low-beam socket into the high-beam socket and saying that the socket/connector was broken when it didn't fit (and that I needed to pay him under the table to fix it). He hadn't actually even touched the low-beam light which was the original one that needed to be fixed and he had removed a bulb from the high-beam which actually didn't need it!

Pep Boys is shady AF! I have no clue if he did it on purpose so I'd spend more money with him under the table or genuinely is a complete idiot and had no idea what he was doing. But the bottom line is, they didn't fix the original problem I had, they created a new one, and most importantly they put me in a REALLY dangerous position by sending me away with almost NO headlights. I need to go back in to get a refund, but am preparing myself, because I am expecting poor customer service and a fight when I do :(

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Set appointment and Ordered brand new tires. Call early Morning on 01/21/2019 and set appointment and Ordered NewsTires for 9 am on 01/22/2019. Get there at 845 am to find out there is no tires and NO Appointment. Not Happy at all. Left there and went to American Tire and got a better Tire and Price. Was in and out in 45 mins. Service Guy @ Pep Boys said he would call me @ 1030am. Still no phone call. Great job Pep Boys. Lost a sale for 600.00. # I will come back to this Pep Boys Store because of: I do not plan to come back to this store. # I was in store for: Retail Purchase, Alignments, Tire Services, Oil changes, Other

✘ No, I do not recommend this store.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have placed an order online for 2 tires that showed available for shipping to the nearest Pep Boys store. Paid for and got confirmation email with arrival date that was perfect. No tires that day or next day or day after. Spend an hour on the phone to find out that they are not available and the best they can do for me is 10% discount on twice as expensive tires that I have purchased originally. In the meantime I had to rent a car to get to work because I have no tire on my car and will have to do the same tomorrow. I can't get anything done after work today. They had no problem taking my payment and holding it for 4 days, but not even an email to let me know my product wasnt available.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Went to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY on Saturday, January 12, 2019 to get annual NY State Inspection. They call to tell me 3rd brake light is out, part is $52 plus an hour of labor to install. They don't have part but can get it. I ask if it's possibly the fuse. They say no. I decline the service and will find/fix the part myself. No local car parts place seems to stock it so I order from Amazon for $26. It arrives that Monday and I install it after I get home from work. But... the new light doesn't work. So after about an hour troubleshooting in 24 degree cold at night, reviewing shop manuals and online forums, I go look at the fuse box.

Fuses are located in the engine department in a covered closed black box. To my shock, the fuse operating the 3rd brake light is MISSING!!! Someone at Pep Boys removed the fuse and tried to defraud me into paying $150+ to re-insert the fuse... WTF!!! I complain the next day to the Store Manager. He agrees that the fuse operates the brake light and that fuses can't come loose and fall out on their own. He apologizes and offers me a free oil change. I complain to Pep Boys corporate and they direct me to the Store Manager. I went there for years and advocated their services. Buyer beware, don't go to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY. Pep Boys = fraud. I submitted a complaint to the Nassau Count District Attorney in NY. I have more filings to go with different agencies but figure I spread the word. Very disappointed!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

What is disturbing is that the mechanic at Pep Boys Laurel, Store #72, 301-498-1333, took off essential parts, breaking them so they were no longer usable, before checking their stock for replacement parts. They discovered they did not have the parts in stock only after the original lugs and stems were already broken. They could not put the tires on without the lug nuts to secure them but they did just that anyway and did not inform me when I drove off that three lug nuts were missing on the rear tires. Brought car in at 12:30; car not ready until after 5 pm because mechanic did not tell front desk that vehicle was "ready" 30 minutes earlier. Installation cost increased from $58 to $148. Must go back on Monday because was given misinformation that mechanics are on duty on Sunday. They are not. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR CAR OR YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I recently brought my car into Pep Boys for an alignment. It came back with the steering wheel to one side and the car not aligned! I brought it back and they "re-aligned" it again. They even gave me the graph of what was wrong and it was the exact problem the first time! I finally brought it to my dealer where they fixed it properly. I will NEVER return to Pep Boys for car work again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So this has to be broken down into parts so that I can be as clear as possible in warning other people who might find themselves in a similar situation that I was in. To set things up, my check engine light came on and my vehicle started a slight shudder which got progressively worse as I searched for a mechanic to run a diagnostic under the hood. This was on a Saturday at about 3 o’clock. Pep Boys was the only place who still had techs on hand to do what I needed; this is about the only good thing I can say from this entire experience. It was all downhill from there.

They stated it could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours to figure out the problem so they told me I could wait or they would call me a lift. I opted for the ride as I stated earlier this visit was born out of desperation not any sense of trust or faith. I saw what they did to my dad when he got his inspection done two years back and $2,000 later. And that says nothing compared to the poor woman who had been in the waiting area at the same time as us back then, crying on her phone to someone who had to pick her up…

I got back to my house and it was at this point my wife and I started playing the waiting game. Waiting for some kind of news as to how the coming week would play out with our commute to our jobs. Many of you will probably be able to relate to that sense of dread as you have only one car between you. Even if you have two it is still a drastic upset to the routine as you now have to alter your time to carpool. Well our news came about three hours later to the tune of $1,200. One ignition coil and gasket, plus all six spark plugs needed to be replaced they told me. When asked for a breakdown they informed me that the single coil would be upwards of $145 plus another $29 for the gasket alone. Lord knows what they thought 6 spark plugs should cost.

Now that I knew what they thought the problem was, I can say I made these exact repairs not two years previous. It’s an easy to moderate job even for a DIY’er like me. And the parts can be found online (all six coils and plugs) for less than a hundred. So of course my question is where did they get the other $1,100 from? Nice try Pep Boys. Think about how many people they do this to and you start to get the idea how they became a billion dollar company as of the late 90’s.

I have since ordered the parts myself and paid those crooks their $95 for just a heap of bad news, in every sense of the word. Might take me three or four hours but it will be so much more worth it than being unable to feed my family. “The work needs to be done,” was all they kept saying without an ounce of a conscience, as if I was holding out on them with their ‘protection money’. How do they expect people to pay this when they simply do not have it? Why apply for their credit card of course so they can charge you even more in interest. I have a better idea now what that poor woman must have been going through. Now even if the parts I ordered don’t last quite as long as their solid gold spark plugs there is no way it’s worth 12x what I picked them up for.

Now if your vehicle is under warranty, great! But otherwise save yourselves the trouble and find a small outfit where you can actually get to know the owner and the mechanic’s. Use the routine oil change/tire rotations as the opportunities to find one. It will allow you to make the most educated decisions when it comes to the care of your vehicle. They offer guarantees just like the big guys but they have to look you in the eye when they deal with you. You don’t know how many people are taking advantage of you when it comes to a large outfit like Pep Boys. And we never will. Don’t be a piece of their profits, enough said.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went into the Waldorf Pep Boys tire center on November 6, 2018 to have 4 tires installed. Later that day at home noticed two tires were installed backward, tire clearly marked this side out. In addition one of the tires installed correct side out was not installed properly at valve stem location. I contacted Pep Boys by phone and email. A Mr. Jason ** assured me it would be looked into on November 7. Three weeks later no one contacted me so I took the car back and spent another 3 hours of my time having the tires reinstalled correctly. I contacted Mr. ** several times over the next month and a half and all he ever did was tell me he talked to the store. Would not say anything else or DO ANYTHING to amend for the lost of my time.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My son visited the Pep Boys located at 6333 Marlboro Pike Forestville, MD 20747, on Saturday, November 17, 2018 to obtain some mechanical work/repair to his vehicle. He took his vehicle in at 8:30am in the morning for an alternator replacement. The vehicle was not available for pickup until 6:30pm. The average Nissan Altima, alternator replacement is 2 hours. They kept my son's car for 9 hours, absorbed! My son drove to work with was only about 16 miles from the Pep Boys where he received service for his vehicle.

When he got off work (12: 30 am November 18, 2018) he drove back home which is about 1 mile from Pep Boys. He never made it home. His vehicle started to operate the same as when he bought the vehicle to Pep Boys for service/repair. For safety reasons he pulled his vehicle over into Forestville Mall, which is 1 mile from Pep Boys, his vehicle shut off. He looked under the hood and notice that both his battery cables were loose on their post, both caps (low and high) for the air conditioning was removed. He called for a tow truck. He had to get a jump start in order to get his vehicle on the tow truck and he had to get a jump start to get his vehicle off the tow truck. He towed the vehicle to Pep Boys, where the repairs were done.

Please note it was 1:00am Sunday, November 18, 2018 when he had the vehicle towed. He was the second person in line once Pep Boys doors opened on Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 9:00am. The person in front of him only needed a battery changed. 3:00pm came around and he has not heard back from Pep Boys, so called them. He was told that they have not had a chance to look at his vehicle and they may not be able to get to his vehicle until Monday, November 19, 2018. This was because they had other Service Tickets that was before him (Shouldn't a returned vehicle that just had repairs performed on the vehicle take precedent over those who came in after him. Or even if they were left over from the prior day, my son has already waited 15 hours to get an alternator replacement).

I thought that was very unprofessional, bad busy practice and total absurd. It has now taken 15 hours to replace an alternator in a 2002 Nissan Altima. I went up to the Pep Boys, when I arrived my son’s car was being test driven by an employee of Pep Boys. I walked into the Pep Boys Service/Repair side and no one was at the Service Counter. I walked around back and saw 5 mechanics standing around one vehicle with their hands in their pockets. I said, WOW it takes 5 mechanics to work on one car where there is other vehicles that need service work. So I asked where is the Manager? One of the mechanics walked off the other 4 stayed. One of the mechanics told me he didn't know who the manager was (this employee name is ** (spelling could be incorrect)).

The ** mechanic told me he is over there pointing towards where my son's mother was standing in the parking lot, where the unknown employee was just returning with test driving my son’s vehicle. The unknown employee that was test driving my son’s vehicle identified himself as being the Manager. I asked him NUMEROUS of times what was his name. He refused to answer me. He told me in his own words and I quote, "This is District Heights, MD and I don't feel comfortable with giving you my name, in fear of my life that you might come back and do something to me". I was appalled and shocked out of my mind when he told me that. For him accusing me, a customer of coming back later to do some type of bodily harm to him based on the City and State he works in.

So I then asked him will my son's car be fixed today and why is he being told that the car can’t get fixed until Monday, November 18, 2018. He said that it was fixed and then got upset I was questioning him about why my son was told that his car was not going to be looked at, repaired until Monday, November 19, 2018. He went on telling me that he was the only one at the service desk and none of the other mechanics conveyed to him that the car was fixed.

At this point he was yelling and screaming at me as he walked away and at the same time **, who identified herself as the manager on duty. So she gave me this unidentified employees name, **! ** started to get so irate, acting unprofessional by yelling and screaming at me and my son's mother, to the point he got all the other mechanics riled up and they started yelling and screaming at me and my son's mother.

So I become threatened by all of them as they were walking towards me and my son’s mother. When mentioned to ** that, that is very unprofessional and uncalled for. She totaled agreed. She also gave me the employee name that didn't now the managers name, which this employee name was **. ** started to justify that ** is stress out because he is the only one at the service desk, he has to handle all of the customers that's coming in. OK isn't that his job working the service desk. There is an abundance of training that needs to take place.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/06/2019: I took my aging Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to the Pep Boys on North Military Highway, in Norfolk Virginia, to get some work done, and my oil changed... I am not confident that they even changed my oil at all because a few days later, I needed to let some oil out of the engine to make room for an additive, and the oil that came out was pitch black, as if it was old oil. I did not put the additive in because I want them to complete the work they charged me for first, but I am somewhat disgusted by this, and have a vision of a bunch of so called 'mechanics' sitting around in a garage clapping their hands while charging for work that was never actually done at all.

I have a receipt that shows the change, and lists Quaker State oil, and new filter, but what they seem to have done is recycled old oil into my vehicle instead of clean new oil. It is now Sunday, and there is no way to reach out to anybody from Pep Boys for answers, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to get a response about this, but I have to warn anybody who is thinking of Pep Boys as an honest garage to get their cars fixed, to think again, and be very cautious as to whether or not they even bothered to do the work they charged you for!

Original Review: I have an older Jeep, a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and I have been doing mostly my own service to the vehicle for years now, but for a recent issue that I could not figure out I made the mistake of taking the car to Pep Boys in Norfolk, and they came back with a unabridged novel of things that needed to be repaired/replaced, as well as an OUTRAGEOUS cost to do these things... This cost included parts and labor, but both were extreme. The parts had an average 'slight' markup of somewhere around 400%, and the labor per hour was what you might expect to pay a Lawyer/Surgeon, in the neighborhood of $175 - $250 per hour labor. On top of this, they consistently over-estimate the labor needed by a couple of hours.

I say this because I went there before to have my water-pump replaced, and they came back with an estimate that was around a thousand dollars. I was dumbfounded by this, and asked for an itemized breakdown, which was provided. This breakdown showed that they were charging $480 for the pump, and $38 for the thermostat, and had the labor at 5 hours. For the life of me, I could not find a water pump that was anywhere near $480, and every thermostat I found was closer to $10 - $20, at most.

So, I went right down the street to AutoZone, and bought a pump for closer to $70 with tax, and a $13 thermostat, and did it myself, in under an hour. SO, I was confused by their ridiculous estimate, but figured it was done with so whatever. Now I took my vehicle into Pep Boys again to replace the Serpentine Belt, something I could easily do myself, but I am getting lazier as I age, and they came back with $478, because apparently they decided the tensioner needed to be replaced as well. They also started trying to up-sale me to get new tires for the vehicle, which was not what I brought the car there. I informed them that I was not looking for tires, just the belt replacement, and so I am now stuck paying almost 5 hundred dollars for a job that is normally closer to $150, because Pep Boys is constantly trying to find new things to repair, even if they are not needed... BE CAREFUL PEOPLE, they are ruthless!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

This isn't about a specific Pep Boys location but about Pep Boys business practices! Through my experiences over the last couple of weeks, I’ve learned a lot about how Pep Boys price their service. By all accounts, service pricing is a whore’s business and just maybe, Pep Boys is at the top of the list. I’ve read a lot about the current industry practices regarding pricing and none of it is good. Once upon a time, pricing was based on REAL numbers like the number of hours it really takes to do a job not some inflated number, just because! Oh, and yes, there was a reasonable markup on parts not more inflation.

Worst of all, I had work done, and labor costs incurred because the job was quoted to me from a list of things that should be or could be done to resolve the issue without regard for what was wrong. This was done, and an expensive part replaced that wasn’t necessary. Simply stated, this is just another way to do unnecessary work at the customer's expense. I was lucky, the Manager of the location where I had this service done, made everything right. If it wasn’t for him and my ability to identify what was happening, this old guy would have been taken advantage of in a big way.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My name is Tony **, recently I had my check engine light come on in my Ford F150. I parked my vehicle for a day then simply took it to the Pep Boys in Conyers, Georgia. Upon leaving my vehicle for a day, I was informed that it needed around $800.00 in repairs. I wasn't sure if this was correct but since I've had zero issues with my vehicle I approved them for the work. Upon picking up my vehicle I paid them and proceeded to leave the facility, after I got one block away I called to inform them that something was wrong. I was hearing a loud ticking noise, and seeing my Engine Oil Pressure gauge go up and down.

I proceeded to return my vehicle to the facility in which they stated it was in need of an Oil change. I approved this also but once again after leaving the facility I called again and informed them that now my vehicle was leaking oil on the driveway. They proceeded to make excuses as I showed them video evidence that my vehicle never leaked oil at all. This goes from bad to worse, as now I just placed my vehicle with another repair facility and was informed on 12/29/18 that my vehicle needs a new engine. I'm looking to sue Pep Boys as they informed me they didn't think their technicians were qualified to work on my vehicle. Please advise if anyone knows a good Attorney.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

On November 24, 2018 I had a flat tire. I drove to Pep Boys on Bell Road in Phoenix. They patched and replaced my tire. On November 26, 2018, while driving to work with my kindergartener the tire came off of my car. I was going 50 miles an hour, swerved several times, and almost rolled my vehicle. My daughter was terrified. My car was deemed fixable but as time and repairs went on it became more and more apparent that the damage done was extensive. My car is “fixed” but as the body shop that took my car in days - it’s a patch job. My car is not safe to drive in and I have to replace it within the next few weeks. I would never recommend Pep Boys to anyone!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I went into Pep Boys at 6200 Stenton Ave in Phila, Pa on 11/3/2018 for an oil change. I asked the representative if they top off all of the fluids and he said yes. I said good because my fluids are low. The mechanic did not top off the fluids and now I have damage to my radiator. The coolant was bone dry and there was no windshield wiper fluid either. This is the worst place ever. I have called the manager and no one has returned my car.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Took in 2012 Ford F150 truck. I said it was running bad. THEY recommended a tune up; new plugs, oil sensor, etc. Picked up truck and it was running bad right off! Took it back, had a failed plug. Of course they replaced it. Had the truck just 2 days, and it ran so bad I could hardly even get it to a shop. Now we discover the whole engine is shot! Only, 100, 000 miles! They are claiming no responsibility... Now I'm faced with a whole new engine @ over $4, 000.00 in repairs! THEY SUCK!!! DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH ANY REPAIRS! THE REVIEWS ARE REAL!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I broke down on I75 near Florence KY on Christmas Eve. This crew went above and beyond to help me out and get me back on the road to continue to travel the additional 3 hours to get home. Not only did they have the parts but installed them in a timely manner and then discounted the labor because it was a holiday. This was store #0259 and I would highly recommend them to anyone that needs repairs.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

This poor service occurred at the Talleyville Pep Boys in Wilmington Delaware on route 202 S. The manager is Rick who was the hands-down the most argumentative manager. They kept my car for 1 month without calling me, and when they finally called me back they blamed me for not calling them when in fact I had called them several times trying to get a callback. Now Rick’s boss Jay, I cannot stress to you he was horrible to deal with, when I asked him to give to me all of the service and warranty for free he laughed and hung up on me to threatening me and my service work. When I asked to speak with his boss he told me no matter how much I complained it would come back to him and he would make sure the complaint died with him and not his boss.

I dropped my car off to get four new tires on Black Friday. The mechanic Don broke my car and tried to charge me for the repair. I lost the sale of my car due to them keeping the car too long for new tire installation. I have been a customer of Pep Boys longer than any of these guys have been alive. They have no integrity and consistently lack the morale to do the right thing when they have made major customer service mistakes. Do not go to Wilmington DE Pep Boys on Concord Pike.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I took my vehicle for a simple diagnostic. My estate was 1500. Car was running very well despite a simple engine light which I knew it was a sensor. Came home, 5 minutes away from the business. Turned my car off. Started it up again and my vehicle didn't start at all. Called them, they said my car was a liability and they couldn't work on it anyway. No refund until 12 days later for the diagnostic but my still car is still not running. It was clearly tampered with. Called corporate to file a report. Both men working there disrespected me as a woman in a condescending, sexist, belittling manner. As we speak my vehicle is still not running since almost two weeks. I do not recommend taking your vehicle to this business especially, as a woman. If you do, ask to see video footage of your vehicle being worked on as they will tampered to work on it further and charge you more for commission.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had brought my vehicle in for a oil change and about a week later a engine rod blew. I noticed the sound but thought it was something else until I heard a big clunking sound. I had to get my car towed back to the location that did the oil change. The car was leaking oil now as well. I let the service manager Tim know what’s going on in a respectable manner. He stated he didn’t have any service history for the oil change. My wife emailed him the service order. Then he tried to justify their wrongdoing. He tried to say it wasn’t from a oil change then later on said it could be from no or low oil. Hmm? Well didn’t you just do my oil change buddy?

I called customer relations three times and they contacted the area director twice and then the regional director. I finally got a claim number three weeks later. I also got a adjuster to speak to but nobody ever answers their phone. Just yesterday I drove past to see if my car was there. Come to find out that these ** towed my vehicle without even telling me or letting me know beforehand. I was never told of a time limit that my car could be parked either. I figured since I have this claim going on to let the vehicle sit at their location. I would never recommend anybody to this business.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I'll not give the confidential specifics of my recent experience except to say that I had an unexpected outcome that was great. I had quit using this location for about two or three years because of poor service and bad management. Then, in their wisdom, Pep Boys transferred an experienced and highly effective Manager from another store to this location. Thomas, unlike other Service Managers is, in my opinion, a true Manager with an eye on customer satisfaction. I believe, that while he stills has problems to resolve, he knows how to get it done.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered three 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 oil. My credit card was charged, and they shipped two jugs. The third was not shipped. I called Pep Boys Customer Service, three times. 20 days later, I still have no oil. I was told on my third call to inquire about the order status that they closed my order. Very poor service, so beware about placing online orders with Pep Boys. I will never order from them online again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Made 1 p.m. appointment for oil change via internet (and received confirmation via text msg). MY APPOINTMENT WAS CONFIRMED. YEAH!! Arrived 5 minutes before scheduled appointment, then waited hour and half before inquiring when my truck would go onto rack. Service writer apologized for delay..."you are next, when mechanic finishes work on another car." I waited another 15 minutes (total time elapsed now hour and 45 minutes). Went to service desk, got my keys and left. Pep Boys Appointment system is a joke.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I brought my car to this place three times. I could not noticed it until I have check until one day am in damn need of money. Usually I will keep come change as well as few dollars in my one of dashboard. I have put this money in one ziplock bag and coins in another ziplock bag. Someone steal from their service center. They have told me that they have checked camera but could not find anything such kind of incident happen. This really SAD to see people stealing others money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I hope there are NO MORE victims like me to this store. NEGATIVE STARS. Pep Boys the car shop treat your car like trash and STEAL YOUR CAR, and they never apologize for their wrong, I have PROOF and FACTS. I usually don’t comment, but this is serious. NAMES AND DETAILS ARE INCLUDED. My Volkswagen CC 2012 is still taken by them at this very moment. Lost every dollar value right now of the car ~$8000 for their wrongdoing. To start with, Pep Boys deserve NEGATIVE stars. Because the STORE MANAGER CHRIS tow my car WITHOUT my permission to an IMPOUND car lot when I’m JUST A CUSTOMER to the store while I was making a decision to spend ~$7800 for them to fix my car engine. Plus, they ask me to pay South Main Auto Storage $230 fee from MY OWN POCKET to get my car back. When MANAGER CHRIS IS the one who take away my car my property from their store.

I’m extremely angry, disappointed and frustrated after my recent experience with the Southwest Fwy store. First of all, I’m a regular customer since 9/2017, visiting the store every few months for my car repair/tire, including 2 tires: ~$500, fuel pump + 1 tire: ~$1800, 1 tire: ~$200, diagnosis of the car: total ~ 300. I was a happy customer because of JB, Diego and Erick the mechanic. They provide the best customer service. Until recently my Volkswagen CC 2012 Lux ‘s engine acting weird, I pay the diagnostic to check my car. It's the fuel pump.

Then I still drive the car for a week or 2 till one night I decide to drop my car in the store because my car engine failed. I pay the diagnostic to check the car again to see what issue. They give me the bad news. It turns out I need to replace the engine (a lot of money). But they don't know the price yet. I was devastated and tell them I will need to find out my options. 2 weeks later, I decide to ask Pep Boys to check how much is the engine price total. The person say that they can provide the price the next day. I heard nothing from them, I waited until the end of the week. They left me a voicemail about the price (7800). I came in that Saturday talk to the people in the store, I told them I need to come up with a plan of $7800 to fix something.

Less than a week later, I discover this crooked Manager CHRIS send someone to TOW MY CAR MY PROPERTY TO IMPOUND LOT. A car shop you expect them to take care of your car for the money you going to pay them. That’s how they treat the customer. That’s **! What’s more **? They expect you to waste your own time and $230 to get the car out of there. It’s a long review, I lost my car to learn that PEP BOYS is the worst car repair shop.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information