Find an Auto Service and Repair partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Pep Boys Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: July 13, 2021

Pep Boys has at some point decided to change their business model and stop selling parts and only have service centers. That in itself doesn't warrant a poor review, who knows why they did this but probably something about not making enough money at parts. At any rate I have been buying parts elsewhere lately, lots of options, but I am sad to see that happen since they were often the best deal. What makes me mad is I had a failed hub bearing that was lifetime warrantied, that I had purchased from Pep boys a few years ago. Tried to get that replaced and after half an hour of getting transferred around, finally ended up on a customer service line that was barely understandable due to their person barely speaking English and the connection being so poor.

They explained the process to get the part warrantied is to reply to an email they sent providing details (including they want the original SKU on the box not just the receipt) and then I can mail it in, they will evaluate it and some time in the next month, if they deem it bad they will send me a new one. Provided everything is done correctly, meanwhile my vehicle can sit and wait for the part. Clearly this is an effort to make it so difficult that no one goes through the effort. I think I would prefer they at least had just started with telling me they have no intention of honoring their commitments. At any rate I will never use them again for anything and if this is how they run their business I strongly suggest you move on to use O’Reilly or Autozone or someone else who at least backs up what they sell.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I received a oil change and tire rotation, I had a semi long wait. Don't mind. But low tires pressure just not right as this could lead to uneven tire wear and tear, a blowout and definitely not good for suspension! As a tire and repair shop each mechanic should know these values and not to mention Pep Boys is a well known name, your job as a mechanic represents both, my front should have been set at 36 and rear at 33. My front was set at 30. Rear no issues. The last thing a person wants to do is drive to a gas station after paying $88.40 to adjust tire pressure, this never happened to me in my home town!

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2021

The service in this store PEP BOY AUTO #167 211 NW 82ND AVENUE MIAMI FL 33126 has gone in a free fall.. Last time oil change for a Corolla semi synthetic oil the clerk person named ** told me that the store has not semi synthetic oil...Then told me they did not replace the filter due to housing have been overtightened on the dealer and after 30% discount coupon they charged me $ 96.02...This is a robbery. Terrible customer service. The conditions of the store are dirty. Not organized. The employees looks tired. Not motivated. Please do not waste your time there. By the way Toyota dealer charges me $ 49 for the oil change...I could not go there today because they were full and today is my day off so I decided go there. This is not a Pep Boys store, is a Pity Boys...

Original review: June 24, 2021

Hello friends,

I did not get anywhere with Pep Boys Corporation regarding my complaints of the local store so I wanted to make you all aware. I been going to this location ever since I starting purchasing a vehicle. Buyer beware! Re: 1000 Columbus Blvd Philadelphia Pa 19148. I thought you should be aware of your corporate store's poor performance! I brought my vehicle twice to Pep Boys for a rear driver side suspension clanking noise when hitting bumps. I had an early appointment. I was told the vehicle would be needed all day. Never have I had to wait all day (until 5 pm) especially with an appointment early in the morning at opening. Both times head mechanics could not diagnosis a problem with the suspension. Even after taking a test drive with one mechanic and hearing the noise.

I had no choice but to take the vehicle to the dealership and within one hour diagnosed the problem, had me a look at the current alignment, which was 3 degrees off, gave me a cost to repair and a repair time. I was given a loaner by the dealership because my vehicle was unsafe to drive. The parts needed to be ordered. Upper control arm, left lateral arm and a new dampener/shock. Not only that but the first time they parked my vehicle in a handicap parking spot. Ticket tow area? The second time I also ordered a new tire and during the install my rim was scratched, and left with plenty of tire lube and never wiped off. Unacceptable!

Last year, I had an oil change service and they did not tighten the nut, the next day I drove my car to my job in King of Prussia and while I was at work the oil leaked out and I had to have my car towed back to Philly for them to service the vehicle. I was reimbursed however these issues are mounting up at this location and definitely needs to be overseen by someone in the corporation. I recently traded in my vehicle, and the Carfax indicated the last time my vehicle was serviced they recorded my mileage 30,000 miles less than what it was supposed to be. Be warned, this location is bad news. Sorry if you work there. But, I tried to make Corporate aware of these things directly and got nowhere.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Took my car to Bordentown to get car fixed. 4th time still getting stranded even after buying a battery. Refused them after being stranded again and advised by Area Manager, "We will get your car back fixed." They set me up with N. Brunswick store who had better attitudes as I refused to go back to other store - nice staff. But after releasing my car to me I reported the issue of car still slowing down because of a 3 wire prong for alternator I was told. They said it was broken and repaired with special glue. Why in hell was it released knowing this. Still waiting for a call over 2 weeks to fix my car. Area manager left a message saying they'll call me when it comes in. This will be the 7th time from May to now 6/16 my car was in for the same issue. I need a refund.. There is so much more to this story. 2nd review and still no call back to complete my repair.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I got an oil change in mid March at 222 Montauk Hwy. Lindenhurst, NY. Pepboys. The oil light went on momentarily and off again when I picked up my car. Almost 3 months later the oil light kept flashing, on turns and when stopping. I checked the oil, only to find that the dip stick was bone dry. When I called and told them. They told me that my engine internally was burning oil (3 qts in less than 3 months). Bring it in and they will give me a quote on fixing the internal leak in the engine!! What? Give my car back to people who are not responsible enough to do a simple oil change. No smoke out the back, no spots on the ground, and nothing was wet in the engine compartment. I had to put 3 quarts in. And surprise!!!! Not burning oil!! Not Leaking Anywhere!!

Original review: June 13, 2021

Let me start off by saying my daughter's car is currently sitting at the Pep Boys location in Clayton since it was towed there 5 weeks ago with no resolution to the problem. In October of 2019 we had my daughter's car towed to Pep Boys in Clayton. We were current customers and entrusted them with repairing my issues. I was it was the radiator and agreed to the $1,690 repair. While working on the radiator they damaged the engine. Due to their error the store paid for an engine. It took them over a month to fix while leaving the burden on me to figure out transportation.

Since 11/2019 we have returned to Pep Boys at least 8 times with issues related to the engine. I even took it to other mechanics who always referred me back to Pep Boys since it was their error with the engine. In May of 2021 the car just died and I had it towed to another mechanic since I had little faith in the Pep Boys in Clayton. The owner of the automotive place stated the engine was dead and there was not one drop of oil. We just had the oil changed the end of January and NC inspection the end of April (which they were supposed to do an oil change with inspection which they didn't). Maybe the oil was due to be changed but it shouldn’t have had no oil in there. There is no oil on my driveway.

I contacted corporate office after the other mechanic advised about the engine and opened a case. I called 5 different times over no one returning my calls and finally Eric at the local Pep Boys called me. He seemed to be nice but cannot stick to his word with calling back or giving me an estimate on a replacement engine. His boss agreed to pay half for a replacement engine and Eric advised over 10 days ago he would call me with numbers. Still no call, 5 weeks later since towed and no estimates as my daughter's car sits at the store.

I am amazed how I went in for a radiator and had a bad engine put in and somehow this has become my issue mentally and financially to deal with when I had good faith they would replace my radiator and not create a year and half worth of issues for me. Keep in mind every time we dropped it off over the last year and half the car would be there on a average of 3 days to repair. Of course that manager is no longer there and he never charged us for those issues or log into your system.

Either way the engine was bad that was put in, I didn’t ask for an engine and now no one is ethical or understanding to call me back to even resolve the issue. I have already made a complaint to Better Business about this and next will be the NC Consumer Affairs. I feel as a female and consumer they are taking advantage of me and I will not tolerate this. Emotionally this has worn me down but I will not allow this treatment to happen to others. It’s a shame how fast reputation can be affected over one issue that could have been resolved with returning calls and showing me some respect.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I would like to mention the recent bad experience at Pep Boys Carteret NJ. I bought four new tires from them recently and one of my tires recently got flat. Then I took to a local tire shop and they mentioned that they could fix flat but side holes on the tire related to manufacturing defect. When I came to the Pep Boys shop in Carteret to explain the issue they totally ignored my opinion and mentioned be no help. I am very disappointed from the service at Pep Boys Carteret NJ.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I utilized Pep Boys for an oil change in response to email coupon of 30% off, free tire rotation and tire pressure, free wheel alignment check/inspection and free vehicle inspection. I was told that the reservation was for a different store but he could take me here. I asked if he would contact the store or should I and let me know that I was dropping car off at store #376 instead and was told, “Don’t worry about it.” Turns out he never contacted the store and they are sending me communication about missed appointment and rescheduling.

He then told me I would be called when the car was ready but I didn’t receive any document/receipt, etc., showing services that would be rendered, typical of car repair/maintenance shops. I reiterated the above and he gave me back the coupon with all the services in the coupon and said, “Yes, yes, everything will be done.”

When I received the call that the car was ready (by the same person who took my keys), I asked if everything was done and was told yes. I asked if anything was amiss or noted and he said, “I’ll ask.” This raised a red flag because why would he have to ask when he should be able to look at the check list document and see what fluids were refilled, what the wheel alignment measurements were (and whether they were within specs) and the list of checked off inspections done (battery, brakes, etc.) with any issues stated.

He came back on the phone and said everything was fine. I inquired as to why he had to ask instead of looking at the sheet? I asked about the vehicle alignment? He said that if anything was wrong, they would have told him. I reiterated that there should be a checklist proving what was checked, that there should be measurements for wheel alignment check as this is not eyeballed as okay. I said I wanted that checklist so I know what was checked.

He said, they check the brakes. I said, “Is that all?” He replied, no, they check other things. I said I wanted the list of things checked. I said if I brought the car in without the oil change and paid for the vehicle inspection, what would I be paying for? And how did the wheel alignment get checked? He then rudely asked if I was having any problems with the car? I said that had nothing to do with the list of items checked or my current concerns. A vehicle inspection should be as thorough whether there are issues or not. He said, “YOUR CAR IS READY, COME GET IT.” And HUNG UP ON ME!

I contacted PepBoys corporate who informed me that there is a checklist and documentation should have been provided for everything. They contacted the store and wanted to speak to the store manager but he was unavailable. I was told that a priority message was sent that documentation be provided when I pick up the car and that the store manager would get back to me shortly.

I picked up the car. No documentation of vehicle inspection or wheel alignment check provided which is the reason I went to Pep Boys instead of Tires Plus a block away. I am furious as my wife is going on a long trip and she wanted peace of mind which I now can’t provide her. I will never use Pep Boys again and you can thank this store for it.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I had a knock in my right rear wheel area. I got an estimate for $2,600.00 which included brakes in front shocks, struts and many things else. I declined to have the repair done. The attendant convinced me to have the rear shocks replace only. After $482.33 I left with the exact knock, I wanted to be repaired. I went back to speak to the Manager and after he reviewed the matter he suggested that I spend only $1,300.00 more and the noise will be fixed. I will live with the noise. The store was in Apopka on No 2000 Hwy 436.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information