Pep Boys

Compare Auto Service and Repair Companies

Research top Auto Service and Repair Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Upon paying the bill, I discover some charges I was unaware of: a. A $40 Lifetime Limited Warranty had been added to the alternator without my knowledge/consent, b. A $31.52 Limited Extended Labor Warranty had been added to the cost of installing the alternator without my consent/knowledge. I go back to the service center to get my money back from the warranties I didn’t want. And here’s what I was told: a. The $40 is included in the cost of the alternator but it’s just expensed out on the bill. Sounds reasonable at first, but that makes the alternator $354.63. If this is the case, why was I quoted $314.63? b. The $31.52 is included in the cost of labor… it’s not expensed that way on the bill.

I question the manager further about this and he admits that it’s not part of the labor. He tells me that he can’t take that warranty off the ticket because the ticket has already been closed… proceeds to offer me two crappy oil change vouchers. And here’s the worst part: The part number is listed on the bill so I went to pepboys.com and looked up that part. On their very own website, the EXACT same alternator is listed as $202.99 with the Lifetime Limited Warranty INCLUDED. I was quoted and charged $314.63 for the alternator plus $40 for the warranty. I question the outrageous discrepancy about the price of the alternator. I was told that he could do nothing about this and that the price on pepboys.com is the “DIY” price; apparently having the service center provide it (FROM THEIR OWN STORE) costs an upcharge of what appears to be $150.

On April 15th I was on my way to Home Depot when I notice that the ABS light was on my truck (2002 trailblazer) so I stopped at Pep Boys which was in my way to ask someone there to do a diagnostic on what might have cause this light to come on. While I waited I noticed that a gentleman in the working area was taking off the tires of my truck so I went over to ask him why is he taking off my tires as I am not here to do any work on my truck. He claim that he had to go in through the tire to see where the problem was.

After about an hour and a half this guy whom I spoke to when I first came in, which was about 10:10 am had this long list of what the truck needed. I said to him, "Sir, as I said before I'm not here to do any work of such now, just let me know about the ABS light". He said he thinks a bulb was blown and he replaced it for 135.00 along with the diagnostic which I paid. He then told me the truck was ready. This is where the nightmare started.

I took the keys, went in the truck to drive it and instead of the 1 ABS light I now see 3 lights, service engine soon and low power engine. The truck had no power to drive! I went back inside to ask if when he brought out the truck he didn't see that the truck could not drive. Those workers broke my truck, the computer and anything else that could go wrong, and had the audacity to tell me they did not do anything to the truck. I stayed home for a whole week, could not go to work as I was literally trapped at home. I stayed all day until 8:30 pm and had to beg a ride to go home as they had my truck for a whole week with every day promises.

I ended up paying almost 800.00 for a damage I did not cause and the ABS light is still on, never got fixed. As a consumer how do you as a company see the injustice that was done by people who you employ that has no clue how to diagnose a simple light! I would like to be fully compensated for every penny I spent in your business! There is something really wrong going on here, so many people with similar complaints, no good at all! That is the worst experience I've ever had in my 62 years of life! "Your mission statement is People taking care of people and their cars".

I have received e-mail from Pep boys with a coupon that state: If I do conventional oil change or synthetic oil change I get free tire rotation. When I came to Pep Boys to do the oil change I requested conventional oil change with the free tire rotation as coupon stated. The service man told me I can not get free tire rotation with conventional oil change and can get it only with synthetic oil change. I showed him the coupon and he admit that I entitled to free tire rotation but his computer tells him otherwise, he later override the computer and did it. This is false advertising by Pep Boys and a fraud.

Total disaster, I was quoted one price over the phone and when I selected tires and signed form to start purchase of tires and alignment. My friend who ordered the same exact tires and service two hours after me plus 5 other patrons all were complaining at the end of the day when all the cars seem to be ready at once. We were charged almost $200 more than quoted. After arriving home one wheel cover was missing. Another came off when I lighted tug at it with no effort at all on my part.

I just purchased new wheel covers at a large cost to me. There was black smudges everywhere with no consideration to trying to customers clean up afterwards. My car didn't feel like it was aligned correctly. I am going to have to bring it to a new mechanic to correct the mess and buy new wheel covers. All the patrons were left with one employee who acted as if he didn't know what happened as he only said "I didn't write up the receipt". It was a total scam job. The Pep Boys located in N. Miami Beach, FL.

Ordered an Accordion Sunshade for $40 online about one month ago and I love, love it. EXCEPT... the piece that connects to the window (even bought some gorilla tape for high temperatures) has since fallen off and I cannot locate it anywhere. I called the store in SLC, UT and they were not able to replace the shade unless I brought it into the store, which is a 5-hour drive one way. They refused to send me the little plastic part on its own. Completely unsatisfactory. So I am left to my own accord to fabricate something to connect the now useless shade that is stuck to the right side of my window. Yea Pep Boys.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Driving from Florida to Orange Beach, AL the engine overheated 2 miles from Orange Beach. Called Pep Boys, he said "bring the car." Upon arrival he said it will take about 2 days. I rented a car, he called me 2 days later and said the engine had a cracked head or possibly a cracked block. THE BILL WAS $799... He said they do not repair that problem, but, he has a buddy in Robertsdale, Alabama that can fix the problem. Not feeling good about his recommendations, I hired a tow truck to haul the car back home ($490) Chrysler/Jeep dealership. The service manager said he will address the problem ASAP. The next DAY he called me to tell me the Jeep is ready to pick up. I pick up the Jeep, with NO CHARGE to find that PEP BOYS FORGOT TO BLEED THE AIR OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM. I did address this with Pep Boys and have not received a call from the corporate office. STAY AWAY, YOU WILL BE SORRY.

I was referred to Pep Boys and expected to receive good service. I pulled in, told and showed the mechanic a hose that my son replaced just so I could make it to the shop. The truck was overheating (probably because the hose was busted). I received a phone call stating that I needed a thermostat $300. Within a month, my truck overheated again and was towed back to the same location. I receive a call that my hose need replacing $600+.

Well, I don't believe I needed a thermostat in the first place. I do not appreciate the mechanics ignoring my first visit, clearly they did since they did not replace the hose when I asked them to. I feel being a woman, they are taking advantage of and ignoring me. I truly believe I did not need a thermostat and if they had replaced the hose like I asked, I would not have had to return. Now, I can't get through to corporate to have them waive the cost of the thermostat, that I clearly DID NOT NEED. I am disappointed with the Pep Boys Organization. My original receipt with the order number is in the truck but I was at 7525 SW Fwy, Hou., TX 77074 in April 11, 2017. 2011 Tahoe.

Took my recently purchased car in to replace 4 tires in February 2017. I sent the district mgr photos of the wheels that were damaged when the tech failed to remove the wheel weights and spun them around the wheel edge, which scratched the wheels. It's 4 months and they still ignore my claim. I have continuously called and texted the district mgr who blames the corporate offices for the delays. I JUST WANT MY CAR BACK THE WAY IT WAS, NO DAMAGE ON THE WHEELS! They don't care about their customers, I think it's time to go to court since this car was spotless and has been parked waiting to get the wheels refinished. Why should I pay to fix something that they did? They just want your money and won't stand behind their work.

I had the battery replaced, under warranty, on my 2000 Chevy S10 and was charged $9.99 (non-optional) for BATTERY PROTECTION SERVICE, which should have included: 1. Chemically cleaning of terminal ends. 2. Installing acid neutralizing washers. 3. Applying protective coating. Unfortunately, none of the above was done. Very disappointed! I was also charged @10.80 for ADDITIONAL ACCESS TIME (BATTERY INSTALLATION SERVICE), which should have included, in addition to removal and recycling the old battery and installation of the new battery: 1. Inspection and cleaning tray and terminals. 2. Memory saver device. 3. Complete starting and charging system evaluation.

Unfortunately, none of the above was done: the tray and terminals are still dirty, the head unit lost all memories and no any kind of evaluation of starting/charging of the systems was done. The only thing the technician did was removed the old battery and installed the new one. The entire process literally took a couple of minutes only, while I was standing a few feet away and watching. Again, I'm very dissatisfied. I have experienced very similar situation a few years ago at different Pep Boys location. The only reason came back to Pep Boys, because the battery was still under warranty for full replacement.

I came here for an inspection. I had everything done before I came here because I knew I needed brakes and rotors, tires and a new flex pipe. The service guy came out and proceeded to tell me I need back brake pads and my tires need replaced by winter. WHAT??? The pads are 53.00 so I said ok. "Just do the pads because they won't pass" he said. Even though my other mechanic said they were fine. With labor, the pads are costing 215.00!! So I need new tires by winter?? I just had new tires put on. It's March. I had them put on this month! Why would I need new tires by winter? I have always come here for my car needs but never again. After reading all the horror stories posted on here, I won't be back. This place sucks!

Short but brief. Leaving from work on 4/17/17 in need of battery. And close to closing rush into Pep Boys. Ask one of young men whose name was Jr. to assist me in getting battery out of the car. No problem. Got to counter. There was another young man by the name Joe. He continue to help out. Just amazing young men. Little did they know I had been dealing with my Dad and Father in law being hospital. Thank you.

When I placed a call to Pep Boys Everett Washington repair dept., a service tech answered the phone. I politely asked him if he might pull up my vehicle's service history. As he mumbled into the phone, he stated "We don't keep records on our computers." His vindictiveness and shallow answers finally cause me to hang up. I called back about 10 minutes later, and a nice woman answered the phone. She immediately pulled up my history and answered my question clearly and decisively. Another issue was a simple repair quotation of less than $300 and work authorized on my part, turned into $900 by the day's end. Forget these arrogant scammers. They're going the way of Sears. They just don't care.

To keep brief I had my car in to fix muffler and it was not fixed properly. It was loud and they explained they screwed up. Cost me 400 then engine light came on cause of O2 sensor and said it was bad and cost another 600. It still is not fixed. They rigged it but the rig keeps failing. It's a free fix but gotta keep bringing it back when it gets loud again for them to adjust it. I feel I got ripped off and will not go back for general repairs. Thanks Pep Boys novice mechanics and managers!

My experience with Bill (parts department) of Pep Boys at Dover, Delaware was the most upsetting one I've had since I came to this country in 1969. I ask for help in finding a car part but what I got was a very insulting reply- "Speak English, I don't understand a word you're saying." Is this the proper way to respond to your customer? In the future please be more courteous and understanding and not condescending for I always thought that business is addition not subtraction!!!

Under no Circumstances should you give Pep Boys your Email. I bought a part online and used a promo code to save a few bucks. I made sure I unchecked the box for any kind of promotions. They started sending me Email for reviews and surveys. I went to the bottom and unsubscribed on a few of the Emails but they keep coming anyway, I ended up adding them to junk mail. If they ask for it in the store say no, if it is needed for an online purchase use an Email that is designated for collecting junk from online merchants like Newegg and eBay that hound you for review. I contacted their support and still receive their junk. The only reason I didn't initially give them the Junk Email address is because I have shopped other local part stores using their internet sales and have not had this experience.

Brian, in the parts department, did a wonderful job in finding excellent rims for my 2004 Ford Freestar. This was my first time looking for rims for a mini-van and he went above and beyond the call of duty. He is very detailed orientated and had wonderful suggestions when I wasn't sure how to go about searching. A few items came up in his search that he clarified by contacting various sources for solutions. He is an excellent asset to Pep Boys by his attention, knowledge, awareness and kind helpfulness to find satisfaction for a customer.

They struggle to perform standard tire service repairs and their customer service is terrible. The Orlando, FL location stated, "We comp alignments all the time because customers FEEL it was done incorrectly". Feel or was done incorrectly? I believe looking at the tires will tell the truth behind that explanation. Pep Boys is a terrible company and I would not put the safety of my family in their hands!

I was recently quoted from another mechanic $680 to replace my upper ball joints and arms on the front two wheels of my Dodge pickup including a wheel alignment. So for a second opinion I went into Pep Boys for another quote and they came up with a long list of garbage and a total ticket of $2300. I'm like holy crap who's right here? So I go to Midas up the road for a third opinion and they agree with the first guy and quoted me $580. So lesson learned is, don't let Pep Boys use their scare tactics on you and get a second or even a third opinion. I will never buy from Pep Boys again out of mere principle. Clean up your act Pep Boys, you suck!

I called Pep Boys Sunday 2 1/2 weeks ago about getting my car fixed for overheating. They said to bring it in Monday morning so I did. I got a call Monday afternoon saying it was the temperature gauge and head gasket. They said it would cost 1200 but all parts were there and it would be an 8-hour job. We called 4 days later and they said they were waiting on a part, but the car would be done in Tuesday the latest. We called Tuesday and they then said the car was not ready and it wouldn't be ready till Friday.

We let it go and then called in Friday. The supervisor said it was still not done because he was out sick and the mechanic wasn't working on the car, he then promised it would be done Monday and would have all the guys work on the car to make sure it would be ready. So now it is Monday night and we called and they said it was not ready to call back in 3 days. I have never experienced anything like this. Every time we call the mechanic or the supervisor isn't there, and they can't explain to us why it is taking so long. It's like a game. And they don't care about customer service at all. I will never bring a car back there. It is horrible. You get nowhere and no one will talk to you, I have no idea when I will be getting my car.

I am very dissatisfied with my Pep Boys experience this morning. I booked an online appointment with the Pasadena store (0296) for a transmission flush and filter replacement (91 Corvette). I also talked to an online "Chat " rep who quoted me the price of $129 for this service and also confirmed a 10 am appointment at the store for me. I drove from Alvin to Pasadena but when I got there I was advised that they had the machine but not the fittings to connect to my transmission. He explained that he had requested those from management more than once, to no avail.

Then they proceeded to call several other Houston area stores (some would have been over an hours drive for me) and he got answers that ranged between, "Can't get to him today," "We don't have the fittings either," "Our machine is broke," "We don't do transmission service," and other excuses that made it impossible to get my car serviced today. So as it is, I'm out 2 hours time, $15 in gasoline, extremely frustrated, and my car still needs servicing. What are you going to do to make this experience right for me, because anything short of getting the fittings to the Pasadena store (in a timely manner) and probably servicing my transmission now for free, is going to earn you a scathing online review. I expect a prompt response. Thank you.

I contacted Pep Boys Customer Service because I was trying to purchase a new set of tires online and kept experiencing issues with my order. To make a long story short I made my online purchase and scheduled my installation at Pep Boys 101 Metro Ave Evansville, IN 47715 (812) 474-9988. We called ahead to make sure the tires was available since it was 2 1/2 hours from our home.

When we arrived we was informed that they was installing the last set of the tires on a truck at that moment. At the same time they was trying to explain the confusion with my order. They was also explaining to the lady next to me that her car needed new brakes. She explained that she had just put new brakes on her car (at this location). They was having trouble finding her information in the computer on her brakes, and after further discussion found out it wasn't even her car. I demanded a refund (not sure that is been completed until I can verify my CC) and then went to Discount Tire where I received excellent service and pricing. I will never go back to Pep Boys for anything again.

I took my car for an oil change at the Pep Boys in Whitehall, PA. They call me to let me know I needed a cabin air filter. I gave them the OK to change it. Pick up my car, went home. The following day I went to turn on the heat in the car and it was making a grinding sound. I took the car back since it wasn't making that before. The person proceeded to say my blower had broken that I needed to replace it. They proceed to hand the keys over and say "If you're mechanical it's easy to repair."

I took my car to a real mechanic who knew what he was talking about. He was able to see that when they changed the filter they left all the crap from the old filter fall and that clogged my vents. All they did was clean it out, they did a half-ass job and I will never go there again. I called customer relations to complain. They took my information told me I would hear something from a manager within 48 hours. Guess what? It's been a week and a half. I have yet to hear anything. The worst customer service available.

Lyft should send their driver somewhere else. This place is so unprofessional and they have the worst customer service. No company pride or education as to customer's time. Kinen has difficulties taking a moment to explain to customers what is required of them.

So I went to the Pep Boys on Mississippi 12820 Store 242. I spent 408.26. They did not put my car back together. Parts missing off my car. They wouldn't help me. The tech that worked on my Lexus called me a liar... and then called the cops on me the customer. Shame on Pep Boys. Poor customer on my car and in person. I would never send anyone to Pep Boys for service.

On Tuesday, February 7, I ordered 4 tires (buy 3, get one free) and scheduled the install at your franchise at 3207 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington, DE total-$246.80. When I got there Saturday morning for my online Confirmed appointment, I was told by the cashier that they don’t carry that tire anymore, haven’t for some time, and can’t get it. No one bothered to look at the order after it was confirmed to let me know this between Tuesday and Saturday? When I asked what comparable tires they had, she tried a bait and switch for tires that were close to twice the cost of my original order.

I asked if she would honor the original confirmed quote, since it was obviously their fault, she said no and that I should take it up with corporate. She was not even remotely willing to help in any way. Don't ever use this location to have work done on your car. I took my daughter’s car a half a block down the street and got exceptional service at Just Tires at a more reasonable price.

Frustration! Get it right 1st time! The reps kept giving me different prices on front strut assembly, changing their mind, so I kept calling back to see if somebody was going to give me the correct or same price so that was about 4 times. Finally someone got it right. Offered me a $10 gift card for the frustration. Said it would be in the following Monday so I waited for my order to pick up at the store. The following Monday only half the order is and no gift card came so I called back to order the rest of the order -- rear struts and coil springs. The gift card would be sent another week later so in between all this time I'm missing my mechanic. My car is not getting repaired. This has been the worst nightmare of my life! But in the end Customer Service tried to make it right and complete everything.

My pistons were misfiring and I knew I needed new spark plugs but didn't have the time to replace them myself. So, I requested new plugs with my Pep Boys oil change. Easy right? Wrong? They told me not to drive my car home because it was dangerous. The engine had major problems. However, they would need another day to figure out what was wrong. So, I took my car home anyway, bought the plugs myself for $1.50 each and ended up doing it myself. Now my engine runs fine. Does the franchise instruct the service department to say whatever to reach their monthly goals? Pep Boys is good for DYI parts and an oil change only. Beware of their service department. Sears is pretty awful too. I'm sticking to independent garages.

This location is 487 S. Broadway, Denver, CO. Took car in for leaking radiator, they said I needed a whole new radiator, got one. Still leaked, took it back, was told "radiator failed" but they said it was a manufacturer's problem, not theirs! I had to pay $350.00 for a rental car, they refused to provide transportation to me even though their service failed! Went to pick it up and car made noise I never heard before! Didn't even get it out of parking lot. Said I have a power steering problem which they never told me about. They said they were "focused on the radiator". I never had a power steering leak or problem until driving in their parking lot! Again NOT their responsibility!! I had to go back and get the rental car I just turned in.

Only when my brother who is in the business pushed on them did they discount the labor for a discount. So another $275 out for me. Now I find a bottle of antifreeze dumped in the second seat, when I finally get my car back, that bottle was standing up when I gave them a car. Very little boys work in this place, grow up and join the adult world kids! Terrible Service, incompetent mechanics and vindictive people. NEVER go to a PEP BOYS for anything.

I had my 2002 Chevy S10 towed to this location as suggested by my insurance company (since they were the one towing it for me) because the truck would not start. They replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and did a tune up, claiming that everything had been fixed. The next day I replace my oil. Under the hood I found a screwdriver and magnet pen resting on the distributor. As I start the truck up and look inside, a plume of smoke appears near the distributor and a loud clacking noise. I bring the truck back in a second time and they tell me now it is the distributor itself. I come in after the distributor has been replaced. Upon starting my truck, I notice the check engine light is on. This meant I had to leave the truck there a third time.

All in all, my truck was being worked on for 6 days. Wed-Fri 1st time, Sat-Mon 2nd time, Mon-Tues 3rd time. Now I know my vehicle is old and diagnosing problems can be difficult. I am not upset that I paid over $1000 for the work they did. What I am upset about is that they did not make sure my truck was working properly both times. You figure black smoke and a loud noise from the engine would indicate that everything is not okay. You would also think not to leave your tools inside a person's vehicle. You might assume that a person would see the check engine light on and think to further investigate the problem.

I guess this is how they do business because they honestly did not see any of the issues I brought up as being anything to apologize for. There's a difference between doing Good work and doing fast work. They apparently choose the latter. I would rather have my vehicle be somewhere longer as opposed to have to dick around with going back and forth over a week time.

Without going all of the details they essentially did not fix my turning flashers and they said it was just a battery. In the process of replacing the battery my car alarm didn't work afterward. "I" figured out the issues after Pep Boys made a bad situation worse. Again, unless you are really desperate DON'T go to Pep boys!

Location: Lafayette Rd., Indianapolis, IN. DON'T GO THERE!

Compare Auto Service and Repair