Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Pep Boys Reviews

Original review: April 6, 2020

Customer service is outstanding and they open up early. But they are a little pricey. I love this store and its location. I had a donut spare on my vehicle and could not drive it to work. Pep Boys open up early about 8:30am and that time was great for me. They finished my old tire in a timely manner. I was at work by 9:30am.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Pep Boys auto in Bear, DE, has a "Top Notch" Repair Manager named Katy **. Katy knows automotive repair requirements and she treats her customers with respect. She will offer competitive prices to other repair shops-and she will stand behind the work she recommended to be performed. Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman!

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Made an appointment online and took my car in for State Inspection, oil change and brake pad replacement. They took the car in on time and it was serviced in a reasonably quick time. The waiting room was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy and had coffee or tea available. The work performed was quite good and I should say, I am a happy repeat customer here.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Full confession - I grew up in my Dad's auto shop business, and after working for 40 years as an engineer doing my own work became difficult. I had put off a long list of issues but finally took my car to the Lilburn Georgia Pep Boys. The first round of work was costly but deservedly so. Several issues were corrected plus a couple of "surprise" ones. A few miles down the road there arose such a clatter - a couple of old springs decided to give their lives to the roadway. I returned to Pep Boys and they ran all over town to find the needed parts, they fixed it and there was no charge. Incredible!

Original review: June 3, 2019

It was late in the day & very very hot outside. I called Motley who answered the phone & explained that my son was having engine problems with his BMW. He needed the car for work so time was of the essence. David the manager along with Motley kept me informed every step of the way assuring me that the car would be complete on time & running like a purring kitten. They diagnosed the problems & replaced all that was needed to make the car run great. My son was so happy & I had experienced another Pep Boys example of great customer service. I had my Lincoln worked on there as well with the same result.

In addition, my daughter had a full brake system rebuild that week in Piedmont Georgia in the Pep Boys Store. Joseph took great care of my daughter's car & treated me will all the respect I could ever ask for. I have had only wonderful experiences with both shops. I hope the head managers will pass these comments on to those who serve them so well as employees & not owners. Bravo to you Motley & David & Joseph for showing me that 'Old World Courtesy' still exists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: May 10, 2020

Stay away from this shop. One of their mechanics sabotaged our BMW X5 by making a cut in one of the drive belts, damaged the oil filter compartment, and made cuts in the both front CV axle boots. We have a statement from another shop verifying this. The dishonest mechanic did the sabotage because he disagreed with the fact that they had damaged the oil filter compartment and the drain plug when he changing the oil. They will be taken to the Small Claims Court for reimbursement. So, beware and stay away from this shop because it will happen to you as well.

After posting my initial review regarding the sabotage Pep Boys mechanic did on our BMW X5, Pep Boys responded and requested documents to follow up and investigate the case. I provided all the pictures and documents but after a long time the case was denied with no justification. The crook mechanic has now been fired for sabotage charges and other misconducts. They will be reported to BBB, Bureau of Automotive Repairs, and the District Attorney's Office. Stay away from Pep Boys Shop on Industrial Parkway in Union City, CA by all means. The entire people working there are incompetent and bunch of crooks. There are other honest mechanic shops in the area which will be more than happy to assist you with your vehicle repair work.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I'd never purchased tires from Pep Boys, so I didn't know what to expect. I can definitely say I wasn't disappointed and will be a return customer. Christian ** was knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to work with. He found me the right tires for the right price. What more can I say?!

Original review: May 5, 2020

A few months ago I spent a large amount of money (a couple of thousand) at a Pep Boys shop. The first round was okay, but on the way home some incredible noises I'd never heard before showed up. Full disclosure - I'm a retired Engineer (and son of an auto mechanic) and my wife is a recovering attorney. Everything was more or less repaired, and I was given a $100 Reward Card to make me feel better about the debacle. We went in later to spend the imaginary $100 (oil filters and oil and such) but was told that they did not accept the card. I explained that I had made contact via email and phone and was told that they were "participating" in the program. Ever since they have refused to respond (in writing, per my wife's suggestion), insisting upon phone calls only. I'd love them to convince us that this is not a complete "bait and switch" sort of scam.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I purchased a battery for my 2016 Mazda3 (68k miles) from PepBoys (1685 Howell Mill Rd NW, Atlanta, GA) and it was replaced there. Before changing battery, they said they need to do a test to make sure the problem is caused by the old battery, which they charged $15.99 for that. The consensus was that the battery was bad and they replaced it for around $139.69. Also, my old battery was 4 years old and never need a replacement until that day, which is expected for 4 years old battery.

After PepBoys put their battery, I frequently (everyday) used my car for 20-25 days. After that I had to park my car for 6 days since I didn't need the car. After this 6 day period when I needed my car, the battery hardly started the car. However, I was able to drive once it is started. Also, the next day (since the battery was charged from alternator) I was able to drive again without any problem. Then, I didn't use my car for 7 days due to COVID19 problem. After 7 days of rest, the battery was fully empty this time. Even my car's key was not working. I had to do jump-start. After jump-start I drove my car a bit to charge the battery and I was able to bring the car to PepBoys the next day. I was expecting them to change the faulty battery since it has warranty and it hasn't been even 50 days after the purchase.

When I brought it in, they again did a test to see if it is the battery (as before). This time they came up with a problem not related to battery in order not to change their faulty battery! They said the alternator needs to be changed and it will cost me $600-700! I didn't want them to change the alternator and went to another mechanic. That guy tested my alternator and said there is no problem. He even showed me the tool (I believe voltmeter) showing that it is in the green (OK) part. He said it should be the battery itself and replaced my battery. The new battery solved my problem. Initially, I wanted PepBoys to change my battery with a new one from warranty, but they tried to put it on me to not change it! Be careful when you buy stuff under warranty from PepBoys. They will try to trick you in order not to lose their money! Very unreliable service! I wanted people to know the status before going to PepBoys.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Needed one punctured tire replaced and battery tested. They refused to replace tire to due to an unknown and unrelated wheel assembly issue causing a little tire play (most likely the outer tie rod). I told them it was fine but they refused to do any service, even refused to honor my battery warranty. Then things got heated obviously because I don't want to wait around and sit on a flat tire and dead battery, and at one point the manager wanted to get Trump involved for some reason by saying that he was my president but not his, maybe because I look ** and he's Latino. I don't know, but that was totally unnecessary to say and came across as 100% racist. I'm majorly Native America and I volunteered to and worked crowd control at a Bernie Sanders rally thank you very much. This is the most recent event of stress-inducing situations that Pep Boys employees seem to be so fond of causing.

Pep Boys author review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information