Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

753 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had to take my 2004 Ford Focus to have some work done on the underside. It was some pretty serious work. That being said I decided I’d take my car to Pep Boys to have professionals look at it. That was an awful decision. When I got there they did treat me with good customer service and explained “everything” clearly. They told me the control arms were worn out, the tie rods needed replacing, and the bushings on the front right driver's side needed replacing also. They quoted it at around $1010.00 for parts and labor costs. Me being 19 at the time I could not afford that so I declined the service.

The next day I called a local mechanic and explained the situation and he told me to bring it over later that day. I took it to him and he called me the next day and said he could repair the parts that were already there instead of replacing them and did it for $502. That’s still high but it’s half of what Pep Boys wanted to charge me and much more reasonable. I believe Pep Boys lies about the actual prices of the repairs, never going back there again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

In 2016 my car broke down. That lead to a refurbished motor being put in that cost over 3,000. Many Issues lead to another motor. They use old parts with a refurbished motor and did not consent with me about using old parts. The check engine light is on and every time I take it back there are more ridiculous fees to fix the refurbished motor. I even talked to corporate. No help there. They won’t talk to you. They make the regional manager make all the calls.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Alternator goes out, it's a fact of life. I've always replaced my own. Went online searching the normal places (Advanced, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Pep Boys). Pep Boys had the best price at $186.19. Prior to going to pick it up, I searched for the alternator in my vehicle and discovered that it was BURIED deep, so I call Pep Boys and asked how much labor was... $187.00. Since I have roadside and could get it towed, $187.00 was not worth the hassle of me doing it myself.

Upon arriving at Pep Boys in Hollywood, Florida, they informed me that it would be over $700.00 for parts and labor after I was expecting to pay about $370.00 plus tax. I was like, "WHAT!?!?" They wanted over $400 for the part ($186.19 online), the "labor" line item was $187.00), but they tried sneaking in an extended warranty for $31.00 and a shop supply fee for $35.00 (you maybe use a rag for this job). Totally baloney!!!

I got them to honor the online part price, told them I didn't want the extended warranty, and that their shop fee was way out of line. They reduced it to $15.00. My car was promised to be ready by 4:30 pm. I told them if it wasn't ready by 5:00, I have plans for the evening and would pick it up the next day. After not receiving a call that it was ready by 5:00, they said that they were still working on it. OK, no problem, I made other transportation arrangements for the night.

At 6:00 pm, I got a call saying the car was ready, but I advised them, AGAIN, that I would not be able to pick it up until the next morning when the open. They then tried to tell me that it would be $49.95 overnight fee!!! Oh heck no... you promised 4:30, knew I wasn't available after 5:00, called at 6:00, and now tried to charge $50 because they were past their promise time and I couldn't get it. Got that waived too... In all, the job that was initially represented to cost $370.00, then tried to charge over $750.00 w/overnight fee, would up costing just under $400 with tax and reduced nonsense shop fee. You need to watch these people, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

They serviced my car, did alignment and put Brand new tires on my car. Due to noise in hood, I returned. Mechanic checked vehicle and tighted caliper. The next day the sound returned louder and a vibration felt in the car when brakes was applied. Took the vehicle to another Pep Boys location who immediately spotted that bolt joints were damaged and cause the wheel to be very shaky. They highlighted that this placed the car at a high risk and it was unsafe to drive.

I had the vehicle towed to the original Pep Boys location. It seemed to me the manager's main concern was that the other location pointed out the poor job of alignment done and of their incompetence in noticing the very noticeable fact of the bolts and that even if missed on inspection, should’ve been noticed when the caliper was tightened. They then wanted to charge me approx $400 to fix the bolt joint and said they would realign for free (bear in mind I already paid for the poorly done alignment). They didn’t apologize for putting my life in danger.

Also I was told that bolt joints don't go bad overnight and my concern and suspension keep elevating. They also charged me road hazard warranty quantity times 4 on the receipt cunningly, the manager said they would look into in that charge. They weren’t able to do works immediately and had me leave the vehicle overnight stating that he it would be done by 11 am the next day. At 11 am he said they had been working on it but they came about problems because it is an old car (2001 Ford Focus). They said they would call me when it's done. I would not recommend them as a result because my sleep was cut short with worries that instead of fixing they will break my car. This all stemming from me just preparing for the winter by buying tires for my vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Went to the store in Newark, DE at college square and had the complete runaround given to me. I had my car towed there on Thursday, 10/18. The exhaust pipe system rusted through right before the muffler. I knew the issue and knew the fix. On Friday, I called to check in the status and see if anyone worked on my car. Brian answered and told me that it was not looked at yet and he would call me back in twenty minutes with a status. Two hours later, I call him again checking for a status because he never called me. This time he tells me I need a resonator and muffler to be fixed. I ask him why they both need to get fixed. He said the resonator has a crack in it and the muffler is where it rusted out. I say, "Can't we just weld or clamp the muffler on to the old pipe assembly? Do I really need a whole new muffler just because of a little rust that is not on the muffler, but the pipe before it?" He said he will check.

He calls me back and said, "You're right. We don't need a muffler, we can weld it on." I said, "Let's proceed with the resonator then." He told me, "You would not be able to get a resonator for a whole week!!!" I said, "Definitely not, I need my car as soon as possible. I called AutoZone, they overnighted the part to me for cheaper than you were going to sell it to me. Saturday morning, I bring the resonator into your Pep Boys. They tell me it will get done by the end of the night."

Sunday I call back because no one told me the status of my car, and surprise, it is not done. I am told that I also need a muffler, they can't weld it on. But no one called to tell me this? They say they can get me a muffler in two days. So I agree. I spoke to Danny that day and he quoted the muffler at $99.99. Two days pass. No one calls so I call and ask for status. Now the muffler won't get there until Wednesday. On Wednesday night the car is completed. Besides never getting any updates on my vehicle and not getting it for a whole week anyway, this next part is the most frustrating.

I was quoted around $300. Muffler is $99.99, labor is approx $100 and welding is approx $100. I get in the store to pick up my car and they tell me it will be $650. How... I asked them how they got this number. Someone tried upcharging me $100 on a muffler. They also tried making me pay for a resonator, even though it was a customer supplied item. A bunch of other random things were added on that I had not told them I wanted or were not needed. They gave it to me for $350 after I told them all this. But I just could not believe the ridiculous way they were trying to take advantage and upcharge the entire time I was in contact with them.

THEN. To top it off - I look under my car myself the next day to make sure everything is okay and I notice they did not even put the resonator on. So where is the resonator I bought and gave to them??? I call and I am told the mechanic thought I just wanted to get by, so he didn't install it. What??? Then why did I bring you the part? That makes absolutely no sense. Looking at the resonator under my car, I am not convinced it even needed to be replaced!!! Now I have to drive back to Pep Boys and get my resonator assembly that they didn't give back to me or tell me they didn't install. Unbelievable. They would have just pocketed my brand new part.

I hope someone can rectify this situation. I used to really enjoy this Pep Boys, but this was probably my worst experience with an auto shop. Overall, Brian was very nice and I think the issue was when Danny and Sherry stepped in halfway through. They didn't know what was going on and it caused a ridiculous amount of confusion for them and me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

10 minutes before 8 p.m. closing time I drove my vehicle up to Pep Boys brightly lighted garage with an unexpected flat tire. I was totally in distress. I actually have an account with Tires Plus and went to the location on Dunn Avenue first and was turned away by the Manager who made it very clear that they were closed and he could not help me and advised me to take my car which had a visible flat tire up to Pep Boys who was still open. I had never patronized Pep Boys before, but I was desperate for help so I proceeded to the location with a sense of urgency.

My God I was greeted with such a warm welcome by Service Manager Devron ** and Jacob (the Friendly Mechanic). Even though I was arriving right before closing time they were so friendly, helpful and understanding. Unbeknownst to them they was assisting an U.S. Air Force Veteran who was visiting from Las Vegas, Nevada. My spouse and I was so moved by their generosity, we decided to close our Tires Plus Accounts and from this point on will take all car service needs to Pep Boys from Florida to Nevada. God Bless You, Pep Boys.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

First time in three years I used Pep Boys for service. I heard new owners, I will give them a try. Oil change online coupon. They did not want to honor them. Mobil One oil change online $59.95. They handed me a bill for $123. I paid $93 to get my keys back. Part of the oil change was to rotate tires. When I returned home I checked back of tires, they were not rotated. Called headquarters. They took my info and said area manager would call within 24 hours. No call. It has been four days. I am very upset. How does a company like this stay in business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

They replaced my Ford Explorer battery with a Bosch battery. Turns out Bosch is really their brand. After 7 months the battery was no good. Replaced with a Costco battery and all is well again. I had no idea Bosch batteries were in-house Pep Boys brand. Why would Bosch allow their name on such a poor product and why would Pep Boys mislead their customers by using that name.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I had an issue with my 2012 Camry parking pedal not locking in, took it to the store on Eastern Ave in Las Vegas. They quoted me over $350 to fix it, said the teeth were stripped. I am a person that rarely uses my parking brake. I park on flat (not inclined surfaces) mainly. I found it odd that the parking brake teeth could be stripped. They quoted me a price on the part. I ordered it myself for exactly 1/2 the price from a Toyota dealership. Had a friend go to replace it for me and found a plastic nut had come loose and fallen down in there causing the brake to not be able to grab. Took literally 5 minutes! Teeth were not stripped, absolutely nothing wrong, other than replacing the plastic nut.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Wanted to charge me $1100 to fix my rear brakes. Took my buddy 30 min to do and only cost me $70 for the parts. When I told them that I didn’t want them to fix anything, they cross thread 3 lugnut putting the tires back on.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This is what happened. On Sep 13 2018 I took my car (2007 Chrysler 300) to Pep Boys in Perrine to put a new fan because mine died. The fan was installed after about 2 hrs. On October 1st I went to Jackson Memorial Hospital (JMH) and in Dolphin Expressway (Rt 836) the car started burning oil and the smoke was all over. I had to stop and at this point I called the towing service to get to the JMH because my wife and I needed the medications. In the hospital after getting the medication I call another towing service to my house (from JMH to Homestead.)

At the next day I started checking what the problem was. It was the transmission fluid coming to/from the radiator “I think’. In any case the important is this. When Pep Boys installed the new fan, first it was not fixed properly s because the fan was moving easily, but also the hose were the fluid was coming out was damaged, why? Because when they put everything back they forgot to keep these hoses static and not loose in an area packed with everything including one of the pulleys in which this hose started rubbing and rubbing until the hose start leaking this transmission fluid.

I tried stopping the leak but then the transmission stop working and now Pep Boys has a mess to fix. I know that they are going to try to get away with a lot of smart excuses, but this time I am going to dedicate my retirement time in order that they make this right. I use to take my car in NJ to Pep Boys where I use to live, and after when I moved to Miami-Dade county was happy to see that I had another Pep Boys. I was not aware of the huge amount of complaints in record, and now I understand why? It’s a pity I found out too late. A towing service took my car to the shop where I went today but the new manager Adonis was not there so they said to me to come tomorrow Thursday when he is in. I’ll keep you posted.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

About two months back engine oil was changed, plus a complimentary "inspection". Though I asked to check other fluids, it was not done - Annoyed - I complained to the store and forgot (I got better things to do). Now less than 2k miles I see engine oil very low and a sound from engine, I ask them to check for a sound I was getting - was handed a bill of $22 to "inspect" brakes and steering, which I was surprised.

Honestly, why are they asking me to pay for a diagnostic which will not give any conclusion!!! How can you guess and expect me to pay for a diagnostics which may not be valid at all. I walk out go elsewhere change oil for $35 and everything is great. Better luck next time SCAMMING. I just don't know how people give these guys >1 star rating and go to their shop which is always busy. And those guys ask for appointment!! Who are those people, where do they come from??? I am wondering.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I tried these guys out for the first time and my experience will not allow me to EVER go there again. They attempted to turn a minor job into a major Labor cost. As a retired Engineer, I was totally aware of their attempt. They actually claimed to not know what the problem with my vehicle was and that it would cost me as much as $700.00 that they could analyze the vehicle to find out. After going into the service area to question the "mechanic" that worked on my vehicle, my theory of what was really happening came clearer. A simple leak in a hose as they claimed they had to do a $500.00 to $700.00 diagnostic was ridiculous. As I am an impatient writer, I hope I made my point clear to this reader. Bottom Line is I plan to NEVER visit these stores again as this was a waste of almost $50.00 as I left there no better than I came. Bullard in New Orleans East.

Updated on 09/28/2018: I brought the vehicle back to the initial repair guy and had him to examine the area that the mechanic at Pep Boys mentioned. Note that the Pep Boys counter attendant had no idea that I had spoken to the mechanic that gave accurate information after she gave me the INFLATED COST. As I mentioned earlier, when they noted that I had been told two stories between each of them they became rude and insulting. As it turns out the initial mechanic had left out a small o ring and the problem was simply solved. Why could Pep Boys not do the same as they claim to be mechanics and just charge a fee? Why did they choose to inflate a small job into a costly repair? I watched the same attendant (lady) doctor my receipt in an attempt to make it appear credible. This behavior, in my opinion is, PREDATORY, DISHONEST AND DISRESPECTFUL AND IS UNWELCOME IN THIS COMMUNITY.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

They have a big 89.99 alignment sign in store but don’t say it doesn’t come with a warranty. Don’t sell reasonably priced tires for SUVs. Many add ons with tire purchase. Did a tire balance and charged me that I didn’t ask for. Shady, shady and more shady.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I went by to do routine maintenance for my Lyft car. Lyft just said, "Your car is fine. You are ready to go." I happened to ask, "Do I not need an oil change since I have done the 28 days renewal?" Then Lyft said, "Oh yes right. Please go down the road to Pep Boys. They will square you." I went to Pep Boys and had the ugliest customer service experience. I am so disappointed. The manager named ** at store 1741 was the one who helped me but from the point I greeted him politely and told him I was new, and did not know how things worked and that I was pressed for time but was willing to possibly come back. He was so rude, he cut me off when I greeted him. I have never felt so undermined and treated so badly. He did not say hello, he started with complaining about how they had so many customers. I said, "Okay sir. Would it be better if I came later?" He barked, "I have so many customers. I am busy."

I returned the following day and he shouted at me and said, "The way it works is you call." I said I was sorry and not aware of how they do things and reminded him that I was new. He said, "I have to work. I am busy, it’s customers like you who just show up that make me have more unnecessary work to do." I stood there thinking, "Sir you are the manager and it’s your job. You have no business shouting at a customer. And I don’t know that I needed to call. Lyft just told me to come by." He then said, "I am busy." I asked if he wanted me to come back and that I was willing to wait. And he said, "Keys. I need the keys, keys, keys," and rolled his eyes and took my keys without saying anything or answering what I had asked.

Honestly I felt like I was treated like garbage, and fact that I did state I was new did not know how process worked should have communicated to him that he needed to be patient and make sure I understand. I have never had a more uglier customer service experience. I definitely will be letting everyone I know not to get their car maintained by this Pep Location at 3217 Harwood Rd Bedford T76021. I don’t think I will return to this location again. What a horrible manager and terrible experience. The sad thing is that when you have an issue like this it’s that manager who should be available to help and not yell at you and make you feel like you have done something wrong for coming to get maintenance work done.

I stay here for more than 3 hours, ended up calling into work because a simple oil change took more than 3 hours to do. I watched the way the manager of store # 1741 ** was treating other customers, he treated them just as badly. He needs to do Pep Boys a favor a quit his job. He is the worst manager I have ever met. Very very disappointing.

Updated on 09/25/2018: After collecting my car something else happened. I took a Lyft car into Pep Boys for maintenance. They were supposed to just do an oil change. For some reason they changed two of my tires without telling me and without saying why there was a need to change any tires. The tires were brand new. I had only been driving the car for 28 days. It took 3 hours, I got back on the road and as soon as I got on the highway, the car which is supposed to be a brand new car straight off the lot was shaking. I tried to drive. It only got worse by the time I was almost 40 mins away. Then the tire problem light came on.

I was supposed to be at work 3 hours ago, but all this affected my work schedule. I went back to Lyft and they said it would take another hour to fix. They asked me to walk over to the Pep Boys. I refused and told them about how badly I had been treated in the morning. They suggested I go to the other Pep Boys. I did and they were very defensive about the tire change issue. I told them I have never had a problem with a tire change, I have even had my tires changed by Discount Tires, Firestone and even in the low-end places in Harry Hines area where Mexican Tire shops put used ones and I had no alignment issues EVER after a tire change.

I honestly think they did a shoddy job and instead of apologizing and taking responsibility for their mistake they were being defensive. A sure sign of their incredibly poor service. I am so disappointed with Pep Boys. This is the worst auto company experience I have had so far. I had to cancel all my scheduled appointments and cancel work for the entire day and nobody even tried to apologize for the inconvenience they caused. To make matters worse, Lyft wanted me to walk over and resolve issue by myself.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

$590.00 for a new muffler and tailpipe. I said high price. He said it's parts and labor. I got home and saw $108.00 add on. They didn't say it. Said next day, Mon-Fri

it show up three times on my work order. Too small for me to read until I got home.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Purchased a 72 month battery that went bad in a little over 2 years - of course at time of exchange had to pay almost half of the original amount to get a new one. The new that had a 2 year free replacement lasted 18 months but when I went to return Pep Boys manager said it was no longer in warranty because the warranty was on original purchase. Basically purchased 6 years battery that I paid for it one and half times and only got a little over 3 years. After various incidents decided no more Pep Boys.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Charged $128/tire - Tire prices are actually 3x (compared to Amazon). Labor is over $80/hour. In our case (** Pensacola) they left us waiting outside while taking the lunch break without even bothering to tell us. These are ** crooks, hope they (mechanics, employee and ceo) will do serious time, there are no ** customer protection laws in this banana republic?!? APPARENTLY NOT.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

2004 Volvo S80 gas pump replacement - Asked for $650 invoking extensive labor to get to the gas tank and expensive parts for "evil" Volvo. Answer: back seat cushion takes 30 seconds to access the gas pump. Part is $60 and labor is 30 minutes (while taking a smoke break after 15 minutes, in reality, labor should be 15 minute top, of course, if you know what you are doing). It turned out that the pump was just clogged, bought a fuel cleaner ($10 for auto parts) and it's all back to normal. These crooks should be in ** jail, do not worry, that day is not far.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This is second time in my life I ever write the type of review you about to read... This time I just could not wait to share my opinion about the Pep Boys service center in Woodland Hills. I brought my 1999 Corolla there at 9AM to replace the thermostat. Only to find out around 2PM (because I called them) that they can't do it because one of the bolts is stripped. They told me they tried to get ahold of me but I was not answering... because they called my son's phone number instead. Anyway they told me they did not touch anything else because of the bolt (mechanic was present when I was picking up the car "with hand on the Bible". He said nothing else was touched).

I went to Autozone in Canoga Park to buy some tools to do the job myself. On the way back my car overheated with steam coming out from under the hood. Long story short they did touch other things and broke the radiator right on the top. On my way home after adding water I was passing by Pep Boys again and stopped there to discuss this... They said it was fragile and they did break it, but said it is not their fault. And I agreed again that maybe it was fragile. BUT they knowingly have let me drive off their lot with the car they broke which was not driveable. Manager of this shop Richard ** was very rude and he clearly did not appreciate me making those problems. Well I don't like him as well... He refused to help with anything at all even with adding more water to the radiator so I can get home. Instead he told me if I think I can get a new radiator from this it is not happening.

Next day I purchased a new radiator and thermostat from Autozone and replaced both parts myself within 2 hours. Total parts cost was $135. (New radiator and thermostat.) Pep Boys wanted to charge me $160 at discounted rate for the radiator (part only) as an "I am sorry deal". Which I definitely refused. My problem is the big cover-up and "we can't do anything wrong" attitude at this location. When I mentioned to them that 4 years ago same location was doing tire rotation on my son's Acura and 1 day later they towed his car from 101 Freeway because on the way to college, his front wheels almost came off due to them not tightening the wheel nuts (this could have be a tragedy). Yes they fixed everything back then.

Anyway when I brought it up, this time they told me they have completely new team including managers so nothing like this can happen and this is completely different shop nooo... HAHAHA. I never had issues with Pep Boys as a parts store but they are definitely not suppose to be a repair shop. With incident they lost me not only as a customer for the auto repairs but also as the customer for their parts. It was a bit long but I hope informative enough for you to know what you are signing for when deciding to take your car for service there. BUT yes they are conveniently located...

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I paid this "repair shop" over $400 to repair my power windows. When after spending many hours waiting for them to determine the problem, they still couldn't get the necessary part to fix them and despite my repeated attempts to get a refund, all they do is try to get me to go back and discuss what can be done and refuse to give me back my money. Pep Boys in Tampa FL are absolute thieves and I will regret ever trusting them for a long time!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Beware Ladies. Pep Boys thinks women are stupid. They advertise prices for services on their website. I took my car in to diagnose my A/C problem and their website states prices start at $34.99 for A/C diagnostic. I was charged $169.95. When I asked the Supervisor why I paid so much he proceeded to tell me I needed extra coolant. I guess he thinks I'm an idiot and believe extra coolant cost over $100.00. I then received an email from a Manager telling me I was looking at the wrong pricing on their website. So, two members of management blatantly lied with two different excuses for overcharging me. Be very careful when getting service from these crooks. Especially the ladies.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When I purchased my vehicle I was offered an oil change booklet through Pep Boys thinking this would save me money I went with it, 1st mistake. When the time came I went for an oil change which took about an hour. All I got was the oil change. They did not check my filters, fill my washer fluid or my power steering fluid or any of the other things that your typical Valvoline would in oh, 20 minutes. Now here is my 2nd mistake, after my 1st horrible experience I decide to go back another one of my coupons, because well I paid for them. This time I made am appointment at 8am (first slot) thinking I'd be in and out, but I was wrong... An employee decided he didn't want to work that day so my appointment was pushed back without notification. After 30 minutes I complaint was given the reason and offered a free oil change. When I reminded the gentleman that I already had a free oil change there was nothing else he could offer. I took my keys and left.

My 3rd mistake was rescheduling the appointment, this time I was on to them and watched everything. After 10 minutes of my car not being pulled into the bay to be worked on at its allotted appointment, I asked what was going on? I was told regardless of an appointment it's 1st come 1st serve. I questioned the gentleman what was the point of the appointments and given no good reason just told 1st come 1st serve. I will never return and have accepted my financial loss. If I could give a star rating in the negative I would.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Pep Boys service takes way too long and they always overcharge you. They quote one price and charge you another. They always trying to upsell you. Best advice, don't go there period!!! I always go to get my oil changed there with coupons, I thought I was paying for an oil change and air filter when I was charged an extremely high price until I looked at my receipt and realized they only charged me for a high mileage oil change for $89.00 that I never asked for. When I called back to talk to the employee, she said that it cost so much because of the special oil, but my car doesn't require that type of oil. I have never paid that much for an oil change in my life and won't ever again. They will never get my business. Ripoffs plain and simple!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Less than a year ago, my starter went out. I took it to Pep Boys to buy a new one. Last week my starter went out again because they had sold me a used, rebuilt starter without telling me it was used. When I brought it back, I was also greeted with rude, lazy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Appointment at 7:30 Saturday morning, 9:30 they said it would be the rest of the day to get parts. They took me home saying they would keep in touch. Sunday they still didn't have one of the parts. Closing time Sunday they called saying there was another problem, the engine was overheating and the head gasket was blown, the radiator was empty. The repairs would be another $1500. I spoke with the manager reminding her that I had just had the car in about a month before for her to check all fluid levels. She assured me they were all full and I had nothing to worry about. I told her that I would be in in the morning and not to do anything more to the car.

I paid for the AC repair and called AAA to take the car to another place and I made arrangements to rent a car while they were checking the problems. I was just about to get in the rental car and I got a phone call from the other repair place. I could come and get my car, there was nothing wrong with it, the head gasket was NOT blown and the radiator was full. They drove it for about 1/2 hour and it never overheated. I am a senior citizen, a woman and a widow. I feel they were just taking advantage of me. When I went on Monday to see about the car I took a man that lives next door and he talked to the mechanic and determined that he didn't even know what had been done to the car.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had a coupon for oil change at my Moriah location. $30 oil change good for 5qts of oil, I understand that 6qts is needed. But 7qts! Now a $30 oil change has turned into $50. Never ever will I use Mt Moriah location again$$$ bad business to do that. I will tell you don't go to that location. Mt Moriah Pep Boys overcharged.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I went into this Pep Boys after my battery died due to some issues I was having accelerating after I get to a red light. I was told the car will be towed for only $25 since Pep Boys is only 3 miles from my house. A guy called Jon at the desk tells me I need to replace the serpentine belt which makes the battery run for a whopping $150?! I was first upset, but since I knew whatever was causing the acceleration issues killed the battery, I felt relieved that I was at least solving the root cause of my car issues. I even asked if this may be the reason the car was slowly accelerating and eventually killed the battery and the guy said this was possible. I was naturally happy to pay the $150 plus the $140 battery price to fix what I thought was the problem as confirmed by the incompetent mechanics at Pep Boys. Plus, the guy told me I will get a fifty percent discount which will take down my bill to $169?! If I became a member.

I was naturally excited. A few minutes after agreeing to the service. Jon of Whitehall Pep Boys said he meant 50 percent off $50 tow bill?! Not only did they lie about tow fees, but they also trick you into agreeing to unwanted service. To make things worse, after they were done with their incompetent service. I got in my car and of course, the acceleration problem that killed my almost my brand new battery was still very much present?! Not willing to kill the $140 new battery, I returned the car and told them to figure out what was wrong with the car.

They were trying to charge me $40 to replace a my brake lights in addition? How ridiculous is that? Am pretty sure I did not even need the $150? Serpentine belt?! And they charged me ridiculous things like overtime $16.53? Why am I being charged for their overtime?! Another 10 bucks battery protection services I never asked for? I just hope I get someone remotely knowledgeable when I go pickup the car tomorrow. Last time I am ever stepping foot in a Pep Boys store! They are a bunch of incompetent crooks, stay away from them!!! I have always hated mechanics, that's why I bought a Honda, but Pep Boys take the mechanic's crookedness need to the next level.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I went into Pep Boys Canyon Country to get a $24.00 oil change. They said they wouldn't do it because of leaks and said to fix everything would cost $704.73 including: R&R oil pan/oil pan gasket-$441.23, Pep Guard Limited Extended Labor Warranty (which I never ordered), R&R axle shaft right-172.50, and a National Output Shaft Seal-$24.98. I then took it to a dealership that told me only the transmission pan gasket needs to be replaced. I then took it to a local Muffler Shop who told me that the axle boot tear is not a threat to the car, no big deal he said. This Pep Boys location are still crooks after all these years. They tried to rip me off 10 years ago by upselling things I don't need and I thought maybe with time their scandalous ways would die out! Maybe this all comes from Corporate. I wouldn't recommend this business to even the owner of Pep Boys!!!

Resolution response: Aug. 16, 2018

They did work with me and offer me a good deal to fix my car

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Last February 2018 I went to Copans Road Pep Boys in FL for my green Toyota Corolla 2009. After they charge me $460.00 They ask me Who last fix my car. I said it was fixed by Pep Boys in West Sunrise near Sawgrass Mills for $835.00. They said that they cut and bypass something on my car that could kill me. I call corporate. Then they have me tow the car to Pep Boys in Sunrise near Sawgrass Mills in Fl. Then they told me nothing wrong with the car. Now on 08/14/2018 my car is in front of the Pep Boys parking lot located at 2100 North University Drive, Coral Springs, Fl. They told me mechanics from Pep Boys mess up my car. They can't fix it after they have me pay $630.00 from this location. (2100 N University Drive.)

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information