Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

776 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have placed an order online for 2 tires that showed available for shipping to the nearest Pep Boys store. Paid for and got confirmation email with arrival date that was perfect. No tires that day or next day or day after. Spend an hour on the phone to find out that they are not available and the best they can do for me is 10% discount on twice as expensive tires that I have purchased originally. In the meantime I had to rent a car to get to work because I have no tire on my car and will have to do the same tomorrow. I can't get anything done after work today. They had no problem taking my payment and holding it for 4 days, but not even an email to let me know my product wasnt available.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Went to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY on Saturday, January 12, 2019 to get annual NY State Inspection. They call to tell me 3rd brake light is out, part is $52 plus an hour of labor to install. They don't have part but can get it. I ask if it's possibly the fuse. They say no. I decline the service and will find/fix the part myself. No local car parts place seems to stock it so I order from Amazon for $26. It arrives that Monday and I install it after I get home from work. But... the new light doesn't work. So after about an hour troubleshooting in 24 degree cold at night, reviewing shop manuals and online forums, I go look at the fuse box.

Fuses are located in the engine department in a covered closed black box. To my shock, the fuse operating the 3rd brake light is MISSING!!! Someone at Pep Boys removed the fuse and tried to defraud me into paying $150+ to re-insert the fuse... WTF!!! I complain the next day to the Store Manager. He agrees that the fuse operates the brake light and that fuses can't come loose and fall out on their own. He apologizes and offers me a free oil change. I complain to Pep Boys corporate and they direct me to the Store Manager. I went there for years and advocated their services. Buyer beware, don't go to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY. Pep Boys = fraud. I submitted a complaint to the Nassau Count District Attorney in NY. I have more filings to go with different agencies but figure I spread the word. Very disappointed!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

What is disturbing is that the mechanic at Pep Boys Laurel, Store #72, 301-498-1333, took off essential parts, breaking them so they were no longer usable, before checking their stock for replacement parts. They discovered they did not have the parts in stock only after the original lugs and stems were already broken. They could not put the tires on without the lug nuts to secure them but they did just that anyway and did not inform me when I drove off that three lug nuts were missing on the rear tires. Brought car in at 12:30; car not ready until after 5 pm because mechanic did not tell front desk that vehicle was "ready" 30 minutes earlier. Installation cost increased from $58 to $148. Must go back on Monday because was given misinformation that mechanics are on duty on Sunday. They are not. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR CAR OR YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I recently brought my car into Pep Boys for an alignment. It came back with the steering wheel to one side and the car not aligned! I brought it back and they "re-aligned" it again. They even gave me the graph of what was wrong and it was the exact problem the first time! I finally brought it to my dealer where they fixed it properly. I will NEVER return to Pep Boys for car work again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So this has to be broken down into parts so that I can be as clear as possible in warning other people who might find themselves in a similar situation that I was in. To set things up, my check engine light came on and my vehicle started a slight shudder which got progressively worse as I searched for a mechanic to run a diagnostic under the hood. This was on a Saturday at about 3 o’clock. Pep Boys was the only place who still had techs on hand to do what I needed; this is about the only good thing I can say from this entire experience. It was all downhill from there.

They stated it could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours to figure out the problem so they told me I could wait or they would call me a lift. I opted for the ride as I stated earlier this visit was born out of desperation not any sense of trust or faith. I saw what they did to my dad when he got his inspection done two years back and $2,000 later. And that says nothing compared to the poor woman who had been in the waiting area at the same time as us back then, crying on her phone to someone who had to pick her up…

I got back to my house and it was at this point my wife and I started playing the waiting game. Waiting for some kind of news as to how the coming week would play out with our commute to our jobs. Many of you will probably be able to relate to that sense of dread as you have only one car between you. Even if you have two it is still a drastic upset to the routine as you now have to alter your time to carpool. Well our news came about three hours later to the tune of $1,200. One ignition coil and gasket, plus all six spark plugs needed to be replaced they told me. When asked for a breakdown they informed me that the single coil would be upwards of $145 plus another $29 for the gasket alone. Lord knows what they thought 6 spark plugs should cost.

Now that I knew what they thought the problem was, I can say I made these exact repairs not two years previous. It’s an easy to moderate job even for a DIY’er like me. And the parts can be found online (all six coils and plugs) for less than a hundred. So of course my question is where did they get the other $1,100 from? Nice try Pep Boys. Think about how many people they do this to and you start to get the idea how they became a billion dollar company as of the late 90’s.

I have since ordered the parts myself and paid those crooks their $95 for just a heap of bad news, in every sense of the word. Might take me three or four hours but it will be so much more worth it than being unable to feed my family. “The work needs to be done,” was all they kept saying without an ounce of a conscience, as if I was holding out on them with their ‘protection money’. How do they expect people to pay this when they simply do not have it? Why apply for their credit card of course so they can charge you even more in interest. I have a better idea now what that poor woman must have been going through. Now even if the parts I ordered don’t last quite as long as their solid gold spark plugs there is no way it’s worth 12x what I picked them up for.

Now if your vehicle is under warranty, great! But otherwise save yourselves the trouble and find a small outfit where you can actually get to know the owner and the mechanic’s. Use the routine oil change/tire rotations as the opportunities to find one. It will allow you to make the most educated decisions when it comes to the care of your vehicle. They offer guarantees just like the big guys but they have to look you in the eye when they deal with you. You don’t know how many people are taking advantage of you when it comes to a large outfit like Pep Boys. And we never will. Don’t be a piece of their profits, enough said.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went into the Waldorf Pep Boys tire center on November 6, 2018 to have 4 tires installed. Later that day at home noticed two tires were installed backward, tire clearly marked this side out. In addition one of the tires installed correct side out was not installed properly at valve stem location. I contacted Pep Boys by phone and email. A Mr. Jason ** assured me it would be looked into on November 7. Three weeks later no one contacted me so I took the car back and spent another 3 hours of my time having the tires reinstalled correctly. I contacted Mr. ** several times over the next month and a half and all he ever did was tell me he talked to the store. Would not say anything else or DO ANYTHING to amend for the lost of my time.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My son visited the Pep Boys located at 6333 Marlboro Pike Forestville, MD 20747, on Saturday, November 17, 2018 to obtain some mechanical work/repair to his vehicle. He took his vehicle in at 8:30am in the morning for an alternator replacement. The vehicle was not available for pickup until 6:30pm. The average Nissan Altima, alternator replacement is 2 hours. They kept my son's car for 9 hours, absorbed! My son drove to work with was only about 16 miles from the Pep Boys where he received service for his vehicle.

When he got off work (12: 30 am November 18, 2018) he drove back home which is about 1 mile from Pep Boys. He never made it home. His vehicle started to operate the same as when he bought the vehicle to Pep Boys for service/repair. For safety reasons he pulled his vehicle over into Forestville Mall, which is 1 mile from Pep Boys, his vehicle shut off. He looked under the hood and notice that both his battery cables were loose on their post, both caps (low and high) for the air conditioning was removed. He called for a tow truck. He had to get a jump start in order to get his vehicle on the tow truck and he had to get a jump start to get his vehicle off the tow truck. He towed the vehicle to Pep Boys, where the repairs were done.

Please note it was 1:00am Sunday, November 18, 2018 when he had the vehicle towed. He was the second person in line once Pep Boys doors opened on Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 9:00am. The person in front of him only needed a battery changed. 3:00pm came around and he has not heard back from Pep Boys, so called them. He was told that they have not had a chance to look at his vehicle and they may not be able to get to his vehicle until Monday, November 19, 2018. This was because they had other Service Tickets that was before him (Shouldn't a returned vehicle that just had repairs performed on the vehicle take precedent over those who came in after him. Or even if they were left over from the prior day, my son has already waited 15 hours to get an alternator replacement).

I thought that was very unprofessional, bad busy practice and total absurd. It has now taken 15 hours to replace an alternator in a 2002 Nissan Altima. I went up to the Pep Boys, when I arrived my son’s car was being test driven by an employee of Pep Boys. I walked into the Pep Boys Service/Repair side and no one was at the Service Counter. I walked around back and saw 5 mechanics standing around one vehicle with their hands in their pockets. I said, WOW it takes 5 mechanics to work on one car where there is other vehicles that need service work. So I asked where is the Manager? One of the mechanics walked off the other 4 stayed. One of the mechanics told me he didn't know who the manager was (this employee name is ** (spelling could be incorrect)).

The ** mechanic told me he is over there pointing towards where my son's mother was standing in the parking lot, where the unknown employee was just returning with test driving my son’s vehicle. The unknown employee that was test driving my son’s vehicle identified himself as being the Manager. I asked him NUMEROUS of times what was his name. He refused to answer me. He told me in his own words and I quote, "This is District Heights, MD and I don't feel comfortable with giving you my name, in fear of my life that you might come back and do something to me". I was appalled and shocked out of my mind when he told me that. For him accusing me, a customer of coming back later to do some type of bodily harm to him based on the City and State he works in.

So I then asked him will my son's car be fixed today and why is he being told that the car can’t get fixed until Monday, November 18, 2018. He said that it was fixed and then got upset I was questioning him about why my son was told that his car was not going to be looked at, repaired until Monday, November 19, 2018. He went on telling me that he was the only one at the service desk and none of the other mechanics conveyed to him that the car was fixed.

At this point he was yelling and screaming at me as he walked away and at the same time **, who identified herself as the manager on duty. So she gave me this unidentified employees name, **! ** started to get so irate, acting unprofessional by yelling and screaming at me and my son's mother, to the point he got all the other mechanics riled up and they started yelling and screaming at me and my son's mother.

So I become threatened by all of them as they were walking towards me and my son’s mother. When mentioned to ** that, that is very unprofessional and uncalled for. She totaled agreed. She also gave me the employee name that didn't now the managers name, which this employee name was **. ** started to justify that ** is stress out because he is the only one at the service desk, he has to handle all of the customers that's coming in. OK isn't that his job working the service desk. There is an abundance of training that needs to take place.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/06/2019: I took my aging Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to the Pep Boys on North Military Highway, in Norfolk Virginia, to get some work done, and my oil changed... I am not confident that they even changed my oil at all because a few days later, I needed to let some oil out of the engine to make room for an additive, and the oil that came out was pitch black, as if it was old oil. I did not put the additive in because I want them to complete the work they charged me for first, but I am somewhat disgusted by this, and have a vision of a bunch of so called 'mechanics' sitting around in a garage clapping their hands while charging for work that was never actually done at all.

I have a receipt that shows the change, and lists Quaker State oil, and new filter, but what they seem to have done is recycled old oil into my vehicle instead of clean new oil. It is now Sunday, and there is no way to reach out to anybody from Pep Boys for answers, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to get a response about this, but I have to warn anybody who is thinking of Pep Boys as an honest garage to get their cars fixed, to think again, and be very cautious as to whether or not they even bothered to do the work they charged you for!

Original Review: I have an older Jeep, a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and I have been doing mostly my own service to the vehicle for years now, but for a recent issue that I could not figure out I made the mistake of taking the car to Pep Boys in Norfolk, and they came back with a unabridged novel of things that needed to be repaired/replaced, as well as an OUTRAGEOUS cost to do these things... This cost included parts and labor, but both were extreme. The parts had an average 'slight' markup of somewhere around 400%, and the labor per hour was what you might expect to pay a Lawyer/Surgeon, in the neighborhood of $175 - $250 per hour labor. On top of this, they consistently over-estimate the labor needed by a couple of hours.

I say this because I went there before to have my water-pump replaced, and they came back with an estimate that was around a thousand dollars. I was dumbfounded by this, and asked for an itemized breakdown, which was provided. This breakdown showed that they were charging $480 for the pump, and $38 for the thermostat, and had the labor at 5 hours. For the life of me, I could not find a water pump that was anywhere near $480, and every thermostat I found was closer to $10 - $20, at most.

So, I went right down the street to AutoZone, and bought a pump for closer to $70 with tax, and a $13 thermostat, and did it myself, in under an hour. SO, I was confused by their ridiculous estimate, but figured it was done with so whatever. Now I took my vehicle into Pep Boys again to replace the Serpentine Belt, something I could easily do myself, but I am getting lazier as I age, and they came back with $478, because apparently they decided the tensioner needed to be replaced as well. They also started trying to up-sale me to get new tires for the vehicle, which was not what I brought the car there. I informed them that I was not looking for tires, just the belt replacement, and so I am now stuck paying almost 5 hundred dollars for a job that is normally closer to $150, because Pep Boys is constantly trying to find new things to repair, even if they are not needed... BE CAREFUL PEOPLE, they are ruthless!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

This isn't about a specific Pep Boys location but about Pep Boys business practices! Through my experiences over the last couple of weeks, I’ve learned a lot about how Pep Boys price their service. By all accounts, service pricing is a whore’s business and just maybe, Pep Boys is at the top of the list. I’ve read a lot about the current industry practices regarding pricing and none of it is good. Once upon a time, pricing was based on REAL numbers like the number of hours it really takes to do a job not some inflated number, just because! Oh, and yes, there was a reasonable markup on parts not more inflation.

Worst of all, I had work done, and labor costs incurred because the job was quoted to me from a list of things that should be or could be done to resolve the issue without regard for what was wrong. This was done, and an expensive part replaced that wasn’t necessary. Simply stated, this is just another way to do unnecessary work at the customer's expense. I was lucky, the Manager of the location where I had this service done, made everything right. If it wasn’t for him and my ability to identify what was happening, this old guy would have been taken advantage of in a big way.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My name is Tony **, recently I had my check engine light come on in my Ford F150. I parked my vehicle for a day then simply took it to the Pep Boys in Conyers, Georgia. Upon leaving my vehicle for a day, I was informed that it needed around $800.00 in repairs. I wasn't sure if this was correct but since I've had zero issues with my vehicle I approved them for the work. Upon picking up my vehicle I paid them and proceeded to leave the facility, after I got one block away I called to inform them that something was wrong. I was hearing a loud ticking noise, and seeing my Engine Oil Pressure gauge go up and down.

I proceeded to return my vehicle to the facility in which they stated it was in need of an Oil change. I approved this also but once again after leaving the facility I called again and informed them that now my vehicle was leaking oil on the driveway. They proceeded to make excuses as I showed them video evidence that my vehicle never leaked oil at all. This goes from bad to worse, as now I just placed my vehicle with another repair facility and was informed on 12/29/18 that my vehicle needs a new engine. I'm looking to sue Pep Boys as they informed me they didn't think their technicians were qualified to work on my vehicle. Please advise if anyone knows a good Attorney.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

On November 24, 2018 I had a flat tire. I drove to Pep Boys on Bell Road in Phoenix. They patched and replaced my tire. On November 26, 2018, while driving to work with my kindergartener the tire came off of my car. I was going 50 miles an hour, swerved several times, and almost rolled my vehicle. My daughter was terrified. My car was deemed fixable but as time and repairs went on it became more and more apparent that the damage done was extensive. My car is “fixed” but as the body shop that took my car in days - it’s a patch job. My car is not safe to drive in and I have to replace it within the next few weeks. I would never recommend Pep Boys to anyone!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I went into Pep Boys at 6200 Stenton Ave in Phila, Pa on 11/3/2018 for an oil change. I asked the representative if they top off all of the fluids and he said yes. I said good because my fluids are low. The mechanic did not top off the fluids and now I have damage to my radiator. The coolant was bone dry and there was no windshield wiper fluid either. This is the worst place ever. I have called the manager and no one has returned my car.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Took in 2012 Ford F150 truck. I said it was running bad. THEY recommended a tune up; new plugs, oil sensor, etc. Picked up truck and it was running bad right off! Took it back, had a failed plug. Of course they replaced it. Had the truck just 2 days, and it ran so bad I could hardly even get it to a shop. Now we discover the whole engine is shot! Only, 100, 000 miles! They are claiming no responsibility... Now I'm faced with a whole new engine @ over $4, 000.00 in repairs! THEY SUCK!!! DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH ANY REPAIRS! THE REVIEWS ARE REAL!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I broke down on I75 near Florence KY on Christmas Eve. This crew went above and beyond to help me out and get me back on the road to continue to travel the additional 3 hours to get home. Not only did they have the parts but installed them in a timely manner and then discounted the labor because it was a holiday. This was store #0259 and I would highly recommend them to anyone that needs repairs.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

This poor service occurred at the Talleyville Pep Boys in Wilmington Delaware on route 202 S. The manager is Rick who was the hands-down the most argumentative manager. They kept my car for 1 month without calling me, and when they finally called me back they blamed me for not calling them when in fact I had called them several times trying to get a callback. Now Rick’s boss Jay, I cannot stress to you he was horrible to deal with, when I asked him to give to me all of the service and warranty for free he laughed and hung up on me to threatening me and my service work. When I asked to speak with his boss he told me no matter how much I complained it would come back to him and he would make sure the complaint died with him and not his boss.

I dropped my car off to get four new tires on Black Friday. The mechanic Don broke my car and tried to charge me for the repair. I lost the sale of my car due to them keeping the car too long for new tire installation. I have been a customer of Pep Boys longer than any of these guys have been alive. They have no integrity and consistently lack the morale to do the right thing when they have made major customer service mistakes. Do not go to Wilmington DE Pep Boys on Concord Pike.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I took my vehicle for a simple diagnostic. My estate was 1500. Car was running very well despite a simple engine light which I knew it was a sensor. Came home, 5 minutes away from the business. Turned my car off. Started it up again and my vehicle didn't start at all. Called them, they said my car was a liability and they couldn't work on it anyway. No refund until 12 days later for the diagnostic but my still car is still not running. It was clearly tampered with. Called corporate to file a report. Both men working there disrespected me as a woman in a condescending, sexist, belittling manner. As we speak my vehicle is still not running since almost two weeks. I do not recommend taking your vehicle to this business especially, as a woman. If you do, ask to see video footage of your vehicle being worked on as they will tampered to work on it further and charge you more for commission.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had brought my vehicle in for a oil change and about a week later a engine rod blew. I noticed the sound but thought it was something else until I heard a big clunking sound. I had to get my car towed back to the location that did the oil change. The car was leaking oil now as well. I let the service manager Tim know what’s going on in a respectable manner. He stated he didn’t have any service history for the oil change. My wife emailed him the service order. Then he tried to justify their wrongdoing. He tried to say it wasn’t from a oil change then later on said it could be from no or low oil. Hmm? Well didn’t you just do my oil change buddy?

I called customer relations three times and they contacted the area director twice and then the regional director. I finally got a claim number three weeks later. I also got a adjuster to speak to but nobody ever answers their phone. Just yesterday I drove past to see if my car was there. Come to find out that these ** towed my vehicle without even telling me or letting me know beforehand. I was never told of a time limit that my car could be parked either. I figured since I have this claim going on to let the vehicle sit at their location. I would never recommend anybody to this business.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I'll not give the confidential specifics of my recent experience except to say that I had an unexpected outcome that was great. I had quit using this location for about two or three years because of poor service and bad management. Then, in their wisdom, Pep Boys transferred an experienced and highly effective Manager from another store to this location. Thomas, unlike other Service Managers is, in my opinion, a true Manager with an eye on customer satisfaction. I believe, that while he stills has problems to resolve, he knows how to get it done.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered three 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 oil. My credit card was charged, and they shipped two jugs. The third was not shipped. I called Pep Boys Customer Service, three times. 20 days later, I still have no oil. I was told on my third call to inquire about the order status that they closed my order. Very poor service, so beware about placing online orders with Pep Boys. I will never order from them online again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Made 1 p.m. appointment for oil change via internet (and received confirmation via text msg). MY APPOINTMENT WAS CONFIRMED. YEAH!! Arrived 5 minutes before scheduled appointment, then waited hour and half before inquiring when my truck would go onto rack. Service writer apologized for delay..."you are next, when mechanic finishes work on another car." I waited another 15 minutes (total time elapsed now hour and 45 minutes). Went to service desk, got my keys and left. Pep Boys Appointment system is a joke.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I brought my car to this place three times. I could not noticed it until I have check until one day am in damn need of money. Usually I will keep come change as well as few dollars in my one of dashboard. I have put this money in one ziplock bag and coins in another ziplock bag. Someone steal from their service center. They have told me that they have checked camera but could not find anything such kind of incident happen. This really SAD to see people stealing others money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I hope there are NO MORE victims like me to this store. NEGATIVE STARS. Pep Boys the car shop treat your car like trash and STEAL YOUR CAR, and they never apologize for their wrong, I have PROOF and FACTS. I usually don’t comment, but this is serious. NAMES AND DETAILS ARE INCLUDED. My Volkswagen CC 2012 is still taken by them at this very moment. Lost every dollar value right now of the car ~$8000 for their wrongdoing. To start with, Pep Boys deserve NEGATIVE stars. Because the STORE MANAGER CHRIS tow my car WITHOUT my permission to an IMPOUND car lot when I’m JUST A CUSTOMER to the store while I was making a decision to spend ~$7800 for them to fix my car engine. Plus, they ask me to pay South Main Auto Storage $230 fee from MY OWN POCKET to get my car back. When MANAGER CHRIS IS the one who take away my car my property from their store.

I’m extremely angry, disappointed and frustrated after my recent experience with the Southwest Fwy store. First of all, I’m a regular customer since 9/2017, visiting the store every few months for my car repair/tire, including 2 tires: ~$500, fuel pump + 1 tire: ~$1800, 1 tire: ~$200, diagnosis of the car: total ~ 300. I was a happy customer because of JB, Diego and Erick the mechanic. They provide the best customer service. Until recently my Volkswagen CC 2012 Lux ‘s engine acting weird, I pay the diagnostic to check my car. It's the fuel pump.

Then I still drive the car for a week or 2 till one night I decide to drop my car in the store because my car engine failed. I pay the diagnostic to check the car again to see what issue. They give me the bad news. It turns out I need to replace the engine (a lot of money). But they don't know the price yet. I was devastated and tell them I will need to find out my options. 2 weeks later, I decide to ask Pep Boys to check how much is the engine price total. The person say that they can provide the price the next day. I heard nothing from them, I waited until the end of the week. They left me a voicemail about the price (7800). I came in that Saturday talk to the people in the store, I told them I need to come up with a plan of $7800 to fix something.

Less than a week later, I discover this crooked Manager CHRIS send someone to TOW MY CAR MY PROPERTY TO IMPOUND LOT. A car shop you expect them to take care of your car for the money you going to pay them. That’s how they treat the customer. That’s **! What’s more **? They expect you to waste your own time and $230 to get the car out of there. It’s a long review, I lost my car to learn that PEP BOYS is the worst car repair shop.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

On 9/6/18 I had a brake job done at 354 4th Ave Brooklyn, NY. The brakes are squealing & grabbing. I found out yesterday via Mavis Tire in Nanuet NY that they broke the tire speed sensor valve. According to Mavis Tire with 100% Better reviews it is the only way you could possibly break this part. I checked my tire pressure there on 9/6/18. All 5 tires (Spare) were at 35 PSI. All tires. On 10/25/18 Unaware of the above damage and planning on an interstate 200-mile road trip. I checked my oil myself with the help of my engine hood latch rod. I took the car to the same 4th Ave Brooklyn shop. I asked them to check the tire pressure. The repair guy said that he had checked all of them. When I got the car back the malfunction gas cap light was on. After driving the car back home I checked the oil to make sure they put in 5 quarts. I realized then that they had broken my hood latch.

Yesterday at Mavis tire they ran 2 diagnostic and told me that they (Pep Boys) had broken my speed sensor valve repairing my now squeaky and grabbing brakes. I asked them to please check my tire pressure all 4 tires had 55 lbs in them except for the spare that had 35lbs. I was told I would have made great gas mileage, but the tires would have blown out on the 90+ degree heat on the FL interstate. Just got off the phone with their district Mgr. (Lenny **) who refuses to accept any negligence and possible intent vandalism with my auto. I am headed to Pep Boys in Queens where Bivona claims they will look at the car. But, they may not repair the things that they have destroyed. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had to take my 2004 Ford Focus to have some work done on the underside. It was some pretty serious work. That being said I decided I’d take my car to Pep Boys to have professionals look at it. That was an awful decision. When I got there they did treat me with good customer service and explained “everything” clearly. They told me the control arms were worn out, the tie rods needed replacing, and the bushings on the front right driver's side needed replacing also. They quoted it at around $1010.00 for parts and labor costs. Me being 19 at the time I could not afford that so I declined the service.

The next day I called a local mechanic and explained the situation and he told me to bring it over later that day. I took it to him and he called me the next day and said he could repair the parts that were already there instead of replacing them and did it for $502. That’s still high but it’s half of what Pep Boys wanted to charge me and much more reasonable. I believe Pep Boys lies about the actual prices of the repairs, never going back there again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

In 2016 my car broke down. That lead to a refurbished motor being put in that cost over 3,000. Many Issues lead to another motor. They use old parts with a refurbished motor and did not consent with me about using old parts. The check engine light is on and every time I take it back there are more ridiculous fees to fix the refurbished motor. I even talked to corporate. No help there. They won’t talk to you. They make the regional manager make all the calls.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Alternator goes out, it's a fact of life. I've always replaced my own. Went online searching the normal places (Advanced, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Pep Boys). Pep Boys had the best price at $186.19. Prior to going to pick it up, I searched for the alternator in my vehicle and discovered that it was BURIED deep, so I call Pep Boys and asked how much labor was... $187.00. Since I have roadside and could get it towed, $187.00 was not worth the hassle of me doing it myself.

Upon arriving at Pep Boys in Hollywood, Florida, they informed me that it would be over $700.00 for parts and labor after I was expecting to pay about $370.00 plus tax. I was like, "WHAT!?!?" They wanted over $400 for the part ($186.19 online), the "labor" line item was $187.00), but they tried sneaking in an extended warranty for $31.00 and a shop supply fee for $35.00 (you maybe use a rag for this job). Totally baloney!!!

I got them to honor the online part price, told them I didn't want the extended warranty, and that their shop fee was way out of line. They reduced it to $15.00. My car was promised to be ready by 4:30 pm. I told them if it wasn't ready by 5:00, I have plans for the evening and would pick it up the next day. After not receiving a call that it was ready by 5:00, they said that they were still working on it. OK, no problem, I made other transportation arrangements for the night.

At 6:00 pm, I got a call saying the car was ready, but I advised them, AGAIN, that I would not be able to pick it up until the next morning when the open. They then tried to tell me that it would be $49.95 overnight fee!!! Oh heck no... you promised 4:30, knew I wasn't available after 5:00, called at 6:00, and now tried to charge $50 because they were past their promise time and I couldn't get it. Got that waived too... In all, the job that was initially represented to cost $370.00, then tried to charge over $750.00 w/overnight fee, would up costing just under $400 with tax and reduced nonsense shop fee. You need to watch these people, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

They serviced my car, did alignment and put Brand new tires on my car. Due to noise in hood, I returned. Mechanic checked vehicle and tighted caliper. The next day the sound returned louder and a vibration felt in the car when brakes was applied. Took the vehicle to another Pep Boys location who immediately spotted that bolt joints were damaged and cause the wheel to be very shaky. They highlighted that this placed the car at a high risk and it was unsafe to drive.

I had the vehicle towed to the original Pep Boys location. It seemed to me the manager's main concern was that the other location pointed out the poor job of alignment done and of their incompetence in noticing the very noticeable fact of the bolts and that even if missed on inspection, should’ve been noticed when the caliper was tightened. They then wanted to charge me approx $400 to fix the bolt joint and said they would realign for free (bear in mind I already paid for the poorly done alignment). They didn’t apologize for putting my life in danger.

Also I was told that bolt joints don't go bad overnight and my concern and suspension keep elevating. They also charged me road hazard warranty quantity times 4 on the receipt cunningly, the manager said they would look into in that charge. They weren’t able to do works immediately and had me leave the vehicle overnight stating that he it would be done by 11 am the next day. At 11 am he said they had been working on it but they came about problems because it is an old car (2001 Ford Focus). They said they would call me when it's done. I would not recommend them as a result because my sleep was cut short with worries that instead of fixing they will break my car. This all stemming from me just preparing for the winter by buying tires for my vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Went to the store in Newark, DE at college square and had the complete runaround given to me. I had my car towed there on Thursday, 10/18. The exhaust pipe system rusted through right before the muffler. I knew the issue and knew the fix. On Friday, I called to check in the status and see if anyone worked on my car. Brian answered and told me that it was not looked at yet and he would call me back in twenty minutes with a status. Two hours later, I call him again checking for a status because he never called me. This time he tells me I need a resonator and muffler to be fixed. I ask him why they both need to get fixed. He said the resonator has a crack in it and the muffler is where it rusted out. I say, "Can't we just weld or clamp the muffler on to the old pipe assembly? Do I really need a whole new muffler just because of a little rust that is not on the muffler, but the pipe before it?" He said he will check.

He calls me back and said, "You're right. We don't need a muffler, we can weld it on." I said, "Let's proceed with the resonator then." He told me, "You would not be able to get a resonator for a whole week!!!" I said, "Definitely not, I need my car as soon as possible. I called AutoZone, they overnighted the part to me for cheaper than you were going to sell it to me. Saturday morning, I bring the resonator into your Pep Boys. They tell me it will get done by the end of the night."

Sunday I call back because no one told me the status of my car, and surprise, it is not done. I am told that I also need a muffler, they can't weld it on. But no one called to tell me this? They say they can get me a muffler in two days. So I agree. I spoke to Danny that day and he quoted the muffler at $99.99. Two days pass. No one calls so I call and ask for status. Now the muffler won't get there until Wednesday. On Wednesday night the car is completed. Besides never getting any updates on my vehicle and not getting it for a whole week anyway, this next part is the most frustrating.

I was quoted around $300. Muffler is $99.99, labor is approx $100 and welding is approx $100. I get in the store to pick up my car and they tell me it will be $650. How... I asked them how they got this number. Someone tried upcharging me $100 on a muffler. They also tried making me pay for a resonator, even though it was a customer supplied item. A bunch of other random things were added on that I had not told them I wanted or were not needed. They gave it to me for $350 after I told them all this. But I just could not believe the ridiculous way they were trying to take advantage and upcharge the entire time I was in contact with them.

THEN. To top it off - I look under my car myself the next day to make sure everything is okay and I notice they did not even put the resonator on. So where is the resonator I bought and gave to them??? I call and I am told the mechanic thought I just wanted to get by, so he didn't install it. What??? Then why did I bring you the part? That makes absolutely no sense. Looking at the resonator under my car, I am not convinced it even needed to be replaced!!! Now I have to drive back to Pep Boys and get my resonator assembly that they didn't give back to me or tell me they didn't install. Unbelievable. They would have just pocketed my brand new part.

I hope someone can rectify this situation. I used to really enjoy this Pep Boys, but this was probably my worst experience with an auto shop. Overall, Brian was very nice and I think the issue was when Danny and Sherry stepped in halfway through. They didn't know what was going on and it caused a ridiculous amount of confusion for them and me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

10 minutes before 8 p.m. closing time I drove my vehicle up to Pep Boys brightly lighted garage with an unexpected flat tire. I was totally in distress. I actually have an account with Tires Plus and went to the location on Dunn Avenue first and was turned away by the Manager who made it very clear that they were closed and he could not help me and advised me to take my car which had a visible flat tire up to Pep Boys who was still open. I had never patronized Pep Boys before, but I was desperate for help so I proceeded to the location with a sense of urgency.

My God I was greeted with such a warm welcome by Service Manager Devron ** and Jacob (the Friendly Mechanic). Even though I was arriving right before closing time they were so friendly, helpful and understanding. Unbeknownst to them they was assisting an U.S. Air Force Veteran who was visiting from Las Vegas, Nevada. My spouse and I was so moved by their generosity, we decided to close our Tires Plus Accounts and from this point on will take all car service needs to Pep Boys from Florida to Nevada. God Bless You, Pep Boys.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

First time in three years I used Pep Boys for service. I heard new owners, I will give them a try. Oil change online coupon. They did not want to honor them. Mobil One oil change online $59.95. They handed me a bill for $123. I paid $93 to get my keys back. Part of the oil change was to rotate tires. When I returned home I checked back of tires, they were not rotated. Called headquarters. They took my info and said area manager would call within 24 hours. No call. It has been four days. I am very upset. How does a company like this stay in business.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information