Pep Boys

Compare Auto Service and Repair

Research top Auto Service and Repair recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My first experience at Pep Boys was to fix a tire leak. They supposedly fixed it but it was leaking again the next night. When I brought it back, they "found" a new leak and said that I needed a new tire. I decided to give them a second chance and got an oil change. I had a coupon that said the cost was $19.99. Even though it was supposed to take 30 minutes it took an hour. Then when I went to pay, they said it cost $22.49. I reminded them about what it said on the coupon and they said there was an added fee of $2.50 for a "shop fee". No one said anything about that beforehand. It did not say anything about this fee on the coupon. Isn't this false advertising? If the coupon had given the accurate price, I wouldn't have minded but I don't understand how they can add extra fees after they completed the work and never said anything about it before. I will never go there again and I will tell everyone I know not to go there.

I purchased a set of 4 tires for my Kia and they were sold to me as new tires. The first tire failed within the first year and was replaced by another totally different brand so it did not match the other tires. The second one totally came apart after about 3 years and less than 6,000 miles, the tread completely separated from the tire and if I had been on the freeway I would not be here telling this story. I spent almost Eight Hundred dollars "now really for recaps". This place will rip you off and make all kinds of excuses that somehow it's not the product. New tires and recaps are not the same and I would never spend almost 800.00 for recaps. You'd have to be a complete idiot.

Do no use Pep Boys in Wake Forest unless you have money to spend on unnecessary repairs AND don't care about the quality of repairs done to your car. Employees at this shop don't communicate with you. They don't even communicate with each other and joke when you return the car for something that was not done right in the first place. Service is unprofessional and unreliable. Spent $1200 for new alternator - which did not fix problem (battery needed replacement). Spent $350 for heater hose - car lost all coolant, broke down 200 miles from home, stranding my daughter on the side of the freeway.

My husband and I were planning on going away for the weekend, but wanted to make sure we had our new tires mounted, tpms reset, and a proper alignment before our travels commenced. However, to our despair, our plans were canceled because we spent 5 hours waiting for our car (dropped it off at 9am came back at 2:05pm) to be serviced. When we came back, we were already weary, but we decided to take it for a test drive before starting our trip. We were given no spec sheet but charged for an alignment that was never done because our car was written down as a coupe and we had to waste gas to go back all the way to the terrible shop that ruined our day and our plans!!!! How do you charge someone for a service that is supposed to be done, and not have the integrity to do it??? Our anniversary is now ruined because it is now 4:45pm and we can't even go nowhere!!!

Thank god my husband was with me because as soon as I started driving, my car pulled to the left and when I kept driving, it kept pulling and swerving. Pep Boys has just lost a loyal customer!!!!! My family has been going to Pep Boys for over 14 years and to have experienced such poor service, I beg to differ. To top it all off, when we went back to finally get the alignment we paid for in the beginning, I was given a spec sheet with the time of 3:17pm, but we got there at 3:25pm sharp and no one attended to us until 3:40pm!!! The sheet also did not have the make and model of my car nor any of my vehicle's information therefore, the guy could have given us someone else's spec sheet!!! I was robbed of an entire day, my husband is LIVID, and I am so disgusted with the uneducated and inexperienced people who work there!!!

I just received a ticket for driving in the bus lane when my car was in the hands of a Pep Boys technician. The ticket was $115. Their incomplete service of installing my sensor caused me $120 to fix at my dealer. Very dissatisfied and I plan on contacting attorneys in regards to getting the money I paid for the ticket. I have all the proof to show they had my car in that time frame. This shows that they are very irresponsible and don't care about the service they are expected to provide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

On 10/28/16 Thursday I went into the Ocala service department to have a tune up and oil change on a truck that I had just purchased. The service manager Bill ** asked where we got the truck? When I told him that we had just purchased it from a young man that gave us a sob story that he need to sell it to pay for his DWI he could do is shake his head. We had been scammed. The truck had a cracked head and needed a new motor. We were at that point 90 miles from home and needed help to figure out what to do with it. With lots of help from Bill calling towing truck to get it out of there. We have decided to donate it and take a tax write-off. We are very grateful to Bill and all the help he gave us. We appreciate all the help he gave us.

If you want to repair your vehicle, it is the wrong way. These guys can only sell tires and change them. I spent two hours for the diagnosis engine of my car. As a result, they told me to turn to the dealer. This they said 40% of people who waited with me.

My engine light came on and my vehicle shut off while driving and the VSC light came on so I got it towed to Pep Boys in Waldorf on Crain Highway. Please, I'm so serious!! Not hating just being honest. Don't take your vehicle here!!! They are horrible!!! If you're expecting to get in and out just cause you came early it's not going to happen!!! I was told 2 hours after they got my car they were about to do a diagnostic and 3 hours later nothing. They did absolutely nothing!!! I wasted a tow and a whole day and can't go to work or take my kids to school in the morning. I was warned by the tow guy not to go there. He said he wouldn't even take his bicycle there and I thought maybe he was just hating. I was so wrong!!! Don't waste your time or money there. At almost closing time, I called again and they said no one got to it and that it would be looked at in the morning. I won't hold my breath... sending a tow truck in the AM. Never again!!!

I bought a five years alignment and the same year on my second alignment they don't want to do it. The reason I want to get an alignment is that I swapped from summer tire to winter tire and raised my car about 1 1/2 inches higher off the ground. When I turned my car don't feel right and it pulled slightly to the right. So I brought my car in and Waited almost 3 hours because they were too busy. After roughly 3 hrs of waiting they told me my car don't need alignment. Great! Then started to explained about alignment just because they did an alignment a few months back on my car. I left Pep Boys when nothing done on my car. Never deal with Pep Boys again!

I have 3 different vehicles all of which have been serviced by the same Pep Boys location at West pike street in Lawrenceville Georgia. For the most part their service has been up to par in regards of servicing my vehicles. Hence the fact I've brought them back. However, the last time I've brought my Mercedes to this location for a replacement of a serpentine belt. They replaced it. Within a month it popped off. Weird because it didn't pop off the first time. It was just time to replace it. Nonetheless I called and they replaced it under the 3 year warranty. 2 months later it popped off again. I called yet again, had it towed up there yet again and four days later it was replaced and I picked it up.

On the drive home the vehicle ran hot, check engine light came on, multiple indicators popped up on the dashboard. I had to return back to work as MOST of us do, so I had my father call to get the vehicle looked at (a senior citizen and a war veteran). My father immediately called me back and told me the individual named Tyler with no last name began to tell him "bring it back. We won't drop you off. We will get it looked at. We don't have any techs available for at least an hour and a half and we don't know the price." in what my father felt was an absurdly disrespectful manner.

So when he arrived I asked to speak to Tyler. Which I then was reluctant to tell me more or less the same. "We can't get to it now. I already told you that and if you have a problem with that you're more than welcome to come see me etc." Whoa wait! Tyler just disrespected my father over the phone and in person and I feel as though he just threatened me over the phone. Over a car? Not to mention Tyler hung up with no resolve. My father never asked for a ride home (my father and I both live within 3 miles of this location. Not to mention have an additional 5 OTHER vehicles to drive.

I'm writing this because at this moment my vehicle that only needed a serpentine has caused me to miss 3 days of work, multiple headaches and now put my elderly father in a very uncomfortable situation. I regret to inform you that after this whole debacle I've yet to been able to reach a supervisor or any form of management. So to my last attempt I will write this to the corporate office, fix the vehicle at another service location and write as many letters it takes to tell everyone I know my experience.

I ordered rims. They sent 1 wrong rim. They very quickly replacement rim in 2 days. What don't like about them is their Inability to allow free speech on their website reviews. They rejected my review 2x and the 3rd time I told them to go f themselves - they just lost a customer. They rejected my first review because I said something about them shipping the wrong product. My 2nd review I praised them highly and spoke highly of their product and they rejected my review because I let the public know where I bought lug nuts because they don't offer this product unless they put your rims on and I live 60 miles away.

I sent my son's car in to get thermostat housing replaced. I was told car would be ready by noon. When car wasn't ready by six I got worried and sent my son to pick up car only to find out he could not take car because the manager took for test drive and came back with damaged hood and cracked windshield. His response was he could not do anything about this because it was a defective piece bought from advanced auto parts called fan pulley. I am in disgust to find out. It is now 9/29/16 and I have not received any response from corporate office and have filed a total of 3 complaints with 3 different reps starting day of damage on 9/24/16.

On Sunday 9/25/16 I had an appointment at the Pep Boys in Santee (2nd bad experience I had with them). When I checked in for my oil change the Asst. Mgr. (Chloe) said I couldn't have a standard oil change that I had to have a Synthetic oil change because that is what her COMPUTER said. I explained I didn't need the synthetic change (price difference of $40.00 more) that I needed the 5/30w and that is what I always have used in the last 3 years and explained that even when I got my oil changed from Nissan they used the 5/30W (showed her the paperwork from Nissan). She said "my computer won't let me put in the 5/30?

She then called her manager (Mario who was at home) and Mario said that I could go into the Pep Boys store and buy all of my own oil and filters and bring it to them and they would change the oil for another $25.00. What, you advertise oil changes don't you and I had an appointment and I had a coupon? So I said "you won't change my oil" and she said "I am sorry but the computer won't let me put in that type of oil for your make of car"!!! So they wouldn't change my oil unless I bought the $69.00 oil change. Seems like a scam to me!!

I scheduled online for oil change. My wife arrived before time and she was told she had to wait for two hours in addition to thirty minutes for the oil change. When she indicated to Associate that she made an appointment, he rudely indicated that the systems online do not have their schedule and they cannot honor the schedule. The 10 minutes oil change we do at other places ended up being three hours.

Took my car to get alignment. Went back to pick up car. My door handle was broken. Called the manager and he said the camera shows it was already broken. I say LIE. I want to see the video. He said he doesn't have to show video. I would've appreciated "we did it my bad". Plus I don't think they did a good job aligning the car. They talk more than they work that's why they so expensive taking long assuming is a lot of work.

The Pep Boys in Coral Springs is worse than the DMV. The Pep Boys in Coral Springs is worse than Hell. The Pep Boys in Coral Springs is worse than the DMV in Hell. If I never had to return to this Pep Boys again, I wouldn't. But when I paid to have new parts put into my vehicle, and then they break after four months, I have to go back. In April I got a brand new alternator. Two days ago, the alternator broke. Okay, that's frustrating, I just got one from Pep Boys. I call out of my Tuesday shift at work to go to Pep Boys on Wednesday at 11 (I was early for my noon appointment), they said they would call me after they evaluated the car. I receive a call around 12:45 and they inform me that my battery won't hold a charge and they will call me when they switch it out. THREE hours later, I call THEM. "Oh, let me go check on that". Um, excuse me? A battery takes FIVE minutes to switch out.

They now are telling me that it was the alternator and it's covered under warranty and will be ready by six. Okay, frustrating, again. So, I sit at Pep Boys until 8:30 AT NIGHT, when they tell me that Victor doesn't know how to change my alternator. They tell me that it will be the first car that Victor sees the next day when he arrives at noon! WHAT? Victor does not know how to do it, let alone my car should be the FIRST car seen the next day, no? Yes, you read that right. Victor the "Mechanic" was not able to figure out how to change my alternator in the 8 hours it was in his bay. So here I am, in the middle of a dark Florida city, and I have to walk home. On the walk I call my boss and tell him that, yet again, I cannot come into work. Did my boss believe me when I said a mechanic could not figure out a way to fix an alternator? Probably not.

So I make my way to Pep Boys at 8 am the next day and the morning manager Juan ** was not aware of the situation at all even though my car was left suspended in the first bay overnight. Juan tells me it will be ready by 10 am. I arrive at 10 am and finally! A “mechanic” knew how to change the alternator! But, there was another part which I needed. Or did I? As a young girl, I am not always aware of the severity of auto problems. Juan probably screwed me over in that sense as well. I could be understanding if one of these bumps in the road occurred during a visit. But all of this? I missed two whole days of work for a job that should have taken less than half of what it did. Because of the Pep Boys incompetent managers, unskilled mechanics, and under-stocked store, I had to drop a class this semester. Thank you, Pep Boys, for altering my academic career.

Maybe I should become a manager at Pep Boys because obviously that doesn't require an education. (P.S. Pay people like Benjamin more. Seriously. He deals with the ** that the “Mechanics” cause. I WISH I remembered the name of the night manager, it was something like Asif, or Atif, or Afis. Not the most helpful man, but he had a slightly better personality than Juan).

We purchased a set of tires in Nov 2013 that were rated for 60K miles. We had the tires on my truck for just under 3 years and they had less than 30K miles on them. My truck started riding rough, then rougher and rougher. My husband looked at the tires and you could clearly feel a couple large bulges. He took the truck up to Pep Boys and advised him the truck was riding rough to please inspect all of the tires and check the tie rod ends. In 1 hour, they said there was nothing wrong with the tires that is where they were put together by the manufacturer.

My husband told him there was no way, the truck rides rough like you are riding horse down the road. They insisted the tires were good and sent us on our way. They never checked the tie rod ends. He went back home, pulled the tires, checked the wheel bearings and the tie rod ends. The tie rod ends had very little play but he replaced them anyway. Then we went and had an alignment at Firestone and asked them to check the one tire we knew was problematic. The guy said he thought a separation issue was occurring (which is what we thought).

So we went back to Pep Boys and were told the exact same thing. That is where the tire is put together. "I've been doing this for 37 years and I know that is where they were put together." I told him that I've driven the truck for 16 years and it's always been a smooth ride until the last 2 weeks and it just keeps getting rougher and rougher. I told the guy I have the kids in the car all the time and it's important to me to have good tires on the car. Unsatisfied the way this was handled, we took the car to the next closest Pep Boys and we were told we have 3 tires separating. I've always rotated my tires and keep proper air in them. I think the tires had a manufacture defect. I've never had 1 tire separate much less 3 of 4 brand new tire with less than 30K miles on them. Pep Boys only solution was to buy a new set of tires.

We called corporate - that was a joke. My husband asked the guy at corporate if everything was documented just in case he had to call back. The guy on the phone at corporate said yes. However, he never asked my husbands name, phone number, which Pep Boys location, etc. The guy referred us back to the manager at the store. Anyway, there was no way around it and ended up spending $500 on another set of tires which was the best price we could work the numbers down at the store.

My friend car oil was leaked and I went to Pep Boys, Apache Blvd, Tempe, AZ to repair the car on Sept 05, 2016. Technician diagnosed the problem and told me that car oil gasket and sensor were bad and needed to replace and gave me $461 bill and I authorized to them. When car was ready to pick up I paid the full amount. When I made a full payment and came to car, oil was leaking worst than before. Same time I showed to Robert Pep Boy manager. He told me "drop the car and we will again diagnosed the problem." After diagnosed the problem they told me oil pan has a crack and is needed to replace. They asked the extra money to pay $419.01. I asked "why you are charging too much money and replace the oil pan with the previous paid money." They refused and I have no option and forcely I have to fixed up the car. They were very rude and forcing me to pay $416. It is not fair.

If you see the customer review then you can see how they mislead to customer and charged extra money. Total they charge from me $877. If Pep Boys representative rude with the customer and charged more money and refused to listen to customer. That is very very bad. Please look into the facts and refund $461 to me. If you need information you can reach my cell or email.

Pep Boys is a dishonest company that sells and install parts that are a lesser quality than original parts in the vehicle. They repaired my car front brakes in 2015 and in 2016 I needed new front brakes and pads. The rear brakes needed pads and rotors; we had them repair it in March 2016 and two months later, the brakes were squeaking and needed replacement.

They are dishonest with the consumer and their mechanics are careless. I had them replace the sway bar and bushing and bearings; the next day I heard some knocking noise when I went over bumps. Took the car back to them and of course they found the source, apparently the bushing that is around the differential is loose; now I never had this issue before they replaced the sway bar, bushings and bearings and all they could say is "we don't have a mechanic with transmission experience" and we can refer you to AAMCO Transmission and offer me a free oil change after I spent $759.19 for them to fix the sway bar; bushing and bearings.

I am a very dissatisfied consumer and will do everything I can do so the next person is not robbed hundreds of dollars for repair work that will not last one (1) year. I'm going to their corporate office; they should refund me at least 1/2 of the money I spent because the car did not have a knocking noise when I brought it to them. I used them because I could not get my car to the dealer and it needed repair work immediately. Signed, A Very Dissatisfied Consumer.

I have ask to replace exhaust manifold gasket for my 1996 Ford Explorer. Instead of fixing gotten worse because the sound coming from my exhaust manifold got more noisier before I took it to Pep Boys King of Prussia. They charge me $700 (total amount of job discount deducted) then they called me and said that they have to put parts cause they break it and I have to pay for that. So I let it pass as long as they will be able to fix the problem. By the time I pick up my truck and start the engine, I was so pissed because it was so noisy like a tractor and they ** my A/C. No cold air blowing though everything is working fine before taking it to them. I only ask for 1 job to fix but that was a biggest mistake I ever made. I will never get anything done from Pep Boys shop.

So here is another thing, I order item online last Aug. 5, 2016 but I never received it. They help me put a claim to get my refund but until now I still didn't get my refund because they still have to wait FEDEX to response. They hold my money for long without getting my order and still didn't get refund. Now still making me wait until they response. What kind of service is this?

I had to get A/C done in my car the beginning of August. Asking service manager if ALL parts were in stock I was told YES. I went to Waldorf to get compressor in person so it wouldn't take days I thought. 4 days later 3 extra trips to other parts store (1200.00 Pep boys price only) I got my air. 9 days later my tie rods wouldn't pass inspection so back to Pep Boys since last year they replaced defective one, yes only 1. Having no choice and told only 1 tie rod would not be charged so 2 tie rods, alignment and $105 of labor ($276) of which took 10 minutes to put in. No air in building during this time of 90 degree plus also.

On Sunday I lose my facing behind right wheel in driveway that wasn't attached by Pep Boys tech. If I have lost it chewed up I am back to Pepboys. Same week starter dies 4 blocks from them so I am towed by 11am. At 130pm when I arrive nothing done. My phone calls I was told they were getting to it by 1230. $326 later at 345pm I am done. Was told come Friday same week to get cover on. Show up at 730am and no part. No communication of this. Could have been updated on Tuesday. Friday (Sept 2) afternoon manager calls me to make sure correct part was ordered (was told on Monday am he had it ordered). Not so. Now I am out of 7 days of my time extra money that if correctly done would correctly wouldn't have happen. I called to report this and got claim number.

On Saturday (Sept 3) was told by customer care it was closed from manager. Problem resolved. I told them NO ONE TOLD OR CALLED ME REGARDING THIS and I have not agreed to resolution. I now want his manager and not to close this without talking to me. I now will take my care back to Norfolk and get it fixed there for major work. After 16 years I have NO FAITH IN PEP BOYS. I ask manager could they clean up some. Every time I am there as the store is dirty, hot, and bathrooms are nasty, trash is always running barrels outside, most employees stay on cell phones facebooking, customers wait for cashier to get to front to check them out. So do they really care for you as a customer and take pride in service.

On Monday, 8/29 we dropped off our 2000 Jeep Wrangler to have a simple oil change. After the car was dropped off, an hour or so later I received a phone call from Jim, the assistant manager at your Dacula, GA location, suggesting to me that some suspension work was needed to correct some “play” in the steering wheel. I agreed with Jim and gave him the o.k. to complete the suspension work. Because they had to order parts on 8/29, we were told the car would not be ready until Tuesday, 8/30. We were fine with Pep Boys keeping our car overnight on Monday so the work could be completed on Tuesday.

We contacted Pep Boys throughout the day on Tuesday, 8/30 and we were told the car was still be “worked on”. The Dacula Pep Boys location closes around 7:00pm, so we called around 6:00 pm on 8/30 to see if the car was ready, but we were told the car would have to be test-driven to make sure the suspension work was fixed and working properly. At 6:45pm, we contacted them again only to find out that the mechanic at your location took the car out for a test drive, but the car “died” on the middle of a busy road. We have never had any issues with our Jeep “dying” and especially while in drive. Jim told me they would have to keep the car overnight once again to determine why the Jeep died. Of course, my wife and I were starting to get nervous being that it was day #2 and something was wrong with our vehicle.

Yesterday, 8/31, Jim contacted me around 9:00 am letting me know that he had bad news. When the mechanic took our Jeep out for the test drive the night before, they did something wrong that caused all of the oil to fall out of the engine while the car was in drive. Because of this, the engine was destroyed! He told me that he would have to replace the engine and he authorized me to pick up a rental car from Enterprise Rental in Lawrenceville, GA. Before I picked up the rental car around 5:00 pm yesterday, I called Jim from my cell phone to get a status on my Jeep. He told me that the old motor was almost out of the Jeep and a new motor was coming from your plant in Indianapolis and would be delivered today.

Avoid the one in Sparks, NV. It's on Prater Ave. They lied to me several times. I was told my truck was first in line. It sat there for three days. They did absolutely nothing, but lied to me. I will never go to a Pep Boys again. I advise you to do the same! I took my truck to Master Mechanic and they fixed it in 2 hrs.

I had a horrible experience with Pep Boys. I went to the location in their Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst New York. They charge me $197 just for headlights of a Saturn Vue. They said that it was going to take an hour. I went with my girlfriend to have this done because I had no other choice but to get them replaced because I had no Night Lights. For a simple fix which would take them 5-10 minutes they made me wait. I ask them "why does it cost so much" and they told me "because of the time that it takes to put them it in." What was $140 labor and only $14 for just the part plus tax.

I return a hour and a half they were still working on my car. There was only one mechanic on hand. I don't understand when I made an appointment for 5 p.m. and I was there at 4:45 p.m. I should have been taken right away. At the time I arrived there were several mechanics on hand and they were in parking lot just talking not doing a thing. I have to say I feel they took advantage of me. The person at the register said because the Saturn Vue made by GM was a specialty car that they had to charge that much. It's American made car. I am just appalled, upset. Just advising other people.

I recently visited the Pep Boys store on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg, Pa 17050, between 4-5pm. I went to this store on August 14th, 2016 to inquire about a part I needed for my car. Upon walking in, I headed for the Service/Tire area, as I was unsure of where to ask about this part. Three computers, three different clerks, one person in front of me. The man in front of me was helped fast enough... and then I just stood there and waited anxiously for my turn. As more time passed by and more associates came and went, I began to ask myself why I was still standing there, unassisted. More associates came out from the service area, noticed me, and continued on without acknowledging me.

Another ten minutes went by before, finally, someone spoke to me. I asked the very simple question I had now waiting 15 minutes to ask, "who do I speak to about finding a car part?" I was told to go straight back to 'Parts.' It felt great knowing I had been ignored for so long, in the wrong place. Brushing this off, I walked to the back of the store where the parts section was. Three computers, zero clerks. Perhaps they were all busy ignoring others in the Service section, who am I to say. So, again, I stood and waited.

After yet another ten minutes, I began to pace back and forth like a caged tiger, looking down the long rows of high shelved parts I might never get the chance to inquire about; waiting, waiting for anyone to come help me. I began to reminisce about all the other car part stores I had passed on my way to the renowned Pep Boys. After another ten minutes of the staff's complete absence, I gave up. After waiting in various places for twenty-five minutes, for the help that was never to come, I walked out of the store.

While this email is obviously filled with light hearted ribbing, I am actually quite displeased with my experience in this store. I've worked in customer service for years and it's really sad to go to a store and receive no service at all. And honestly, I'll probably never go back to this store. I don't do a ton of car work, but when I do, I'll be taking my service elsewhere.

I have been going to Pep boys in Pittsburgh PA, Pleasant Hills, Clairton Blvd for about 4 Yrs for repairs on my 2002 Grand Am GT. I have had Brakes, Starter, Exhaust System, Inspections, Tire rods, and other work done. I have to say that all work done was very Professional and Outstanding. The price was very comparable to other places around. The service manager, David **, was very polite and would work with you to get the best option and deal for the work being done on my car. I will continue to Patronize this Pep boys for service and parts in the future.

On the date of August 6th, 2016, I received a ride from a Pep Boys towing truck at about 12:34 PM. I arrived at the San Pedro location in San Antonio, TX shortly after. I was having problems with my turning signal and shortage of headlights. My battery had went dead the night before so I was trying to handle it as best as I could. First off, the clerk told me a false time. He said that it would only be an hour wait. I ended up waiting until almost 6:00 PM until the service was done. Mind you, I took a half day of work off just to get this process taken care of. No one bothered to check and see if my car was being tended to or anything of the sort.

Finally, the workers tried to jumpstart my car in order to get a good enough boost to get a new battery from the initial shop that I received it from, Goodyear. The charge would not stay, so I payed for a battery from Pep Boy's shop, as well as the installation charges. When that was done, one of the workers noticed that my driver's side tires were low. He asked did I want to change them out. I asked how bad were they, and he claimed that they were fine for now, but recommended to change them in a few months at the latest. I complied and said that air was fine for now because I had already spent a lot for brake pad installation a few weeks back as well at the same location. The air for the tires was free of charge. After the air was input into the tires, I headed home to visit my kids before taking off to a get together at a coworker's house. I stayed until about a little past midnight and decided to head back to my house.

While on the road, I felt a strange pull on my side of the car. Shortly afterwards, my back tire exploded and popped off. After that my front tire exploded as well which turned my car around 360 degrees in three spins. I pulled over to the side afterwards. I highly recommend that no one considers Pep Boy's for any service issues pertaining to their vehicles. My life was in danger, and anyone else's could have been as well. I'm traumatized by this whole experience and I hope no one will have to go through the same thing that I have. Please heed my warning. This is not a good business. They do not care about anything but profit. Lives are not of the highest priority at all.

First, let me explain our current situation. I am moving from NYC to LA. With me are my sister, a friend, and an English bulldog. In case you did not know, English Bulldogs do not do well in the heat and can collapse and die from exhausted if exposed to heat for a prolong time. Here is the issue: AC broke down right as we got to Nashville. Pep Boys in Nashville said we needed to replace the AC compressor. They first said they had the part, then said they don't have the part, then said they ordered the part and we had to wait a day. The following day I arrived and they informed me that the part was not placed and that I'd have to wait 5 hours for the part to arrive. When we finally got the AC compressor, I was informed that there was a part in the compressor that does not match my car and would have to wait another 45 minutes to have it rushed over.

After two days, the compressor was installed and we left Nashville. (It took two days to resolve to issue and $1100!) After 30 minutes of driving leaving from Nashville the AC stopped working. We called up Pep Boys in Nashville and we were told to go to Little Rock AR to fix issue free of charge. We got to Little Rock late at night because the fix in Nashville took forever and we were forced to stay in a motel and wait for Pep Boys in Little Rock to open. Went to Pep Boys in the morning. We were told that they do not have anyone available to fix the car and that we should drive to Oklahoma City (5 hr drive with no AC) and that they are going to fix the issue once we arrive. We arrived in Pep Boys in OK city and were told we are not scheduled and that their mechanic is gone until Tuesday.

After explaining our situation, they attempted to fix the issue on the spot. The issue was due to the compressor PSI being too high causing a valve to be closed. They set the correct PSI and the AC in the car worked... for 12 hours. The next day the AC stopped working. We drove through 3 states in the month of August with no AC. We still have to drive through NM, Arizona, and Nevada. Driving in the heat with no AC with a dog is unacceptable. I would advise anyone to avoid getting your car fixed at any of the locations at all cost. Their mechanics do not seem capable or knowledgeable. If parts are needed they are incredibly slow to get and the labor hours are incredibly expensive. There is obviously no communications between stores.

I attempted to call customer relation at their 1800 number. No one picked up, even during business hours. When I attempted to leave a message, the mailbox was full (Shows you how many people called to complain). I will be going to the Pep Boys in Albuquerque to demand a refund or for them to pay for an outside mechanic to fix my AC. I will update this soon.

I guess I should have learned... I've had issues before with Pep Boys service/mechanics. Today was no different. I brought my daughter's car [2007 mini cooper] in for a simple oil change. After paying for it they gave me the key. I go to parking lot and drive away. About 2 minutes into my drive home, I smell burning oil. No real big surprise. I've changed oil on many cars over the yrs... sometimes oil spills on the motor or exhaust. So I thought it was natural and would burn off. The smell got worse as I kept driving. By the time I got home, about 10 minutes later and stopped my car smoke was coming from under the hood and the smell was unbearable bad burnt oil. I opened the hood... a good amount of light smoke which eventually cleared away... I then noticed and was just freaking crazy pissed. Within about 2 minutes or so I had about 1/4 quart of oil under the nose of the car. The motor around the oil filter was completely soaked.

I then was appalled when I looked up the street a semi-solid line of oil going all the way up the street. I followed it to my corner. My house is approx. 800' from the corner the trail of oil then turned my corner and continued all the way from the direction I came from Pep Boys. I went home and got in my car. I backtracked it about a mile. Before I got so disgusted I went back home. Checked the oil on the dipstick - none to be found and bad burnt smell. I got back into my car... went back to Pep Boys. I went first to where my car was parked 30 minutes prior. Lo and behold there was a pool of oil there too - about 1/4 quart or more and there was this oil trail starting at this pool of oil leading out of the parking lot going the way I just went home.

I was fuming. I went inside, told the manager what his stupid mechanics had done and to go outside and look. I then showed him photos I took at home of all the oil on the ground at my house. He told me I should just bring the car back. I demanded it be flat bedded at their expense. I'm not driving it. There is no oil left in the motor. I will call Pep Boys corporate come Monday morning. I've tried to give them a couple of chances with past screw ups by their mechanics but this is the last straw. I'm done with their kiddie mechanics who don't give a ** about my car or anyone else's. I am also going to call Dept of Consumer Affairs. I have many photos now... pictures don't lie.

I came into the store (71 S. Semoran Blvd) because I had a battery issue and they told me my battery was completely dead while accusing me of having my battery sit in my car for long periods of time which in fact is completely false cause as a full-time college student and working full time, I only have one car. Then they told me it would take a little over an hour for them to charge the battery for them to be able to test the battery. So I dropped off the battery appx 6:15 pm, came back at 7:20 and my battery test still wasn't ready. Finally they told me my battery needed to be replaced but they were telling me I had to drive all the way to the location on Powers Dr to do a warranty exchange cause I didn't have my receipt.

I requested them to call the store and after minutes of hesitation they finally called and got my receipt information. The manager then continued to ask me who installed the battery in the first place and I responded by saying Pep Boys installed it cause I don't know how to. So he responded by saying, "Oh well I install my own batteries." I have never felt so belittled in my life. Being at this location made me feel extremely comfortable and I would never go back here again. I finally received my battery at 8:01 pm after all the drama. While the manager continued to give me attitude up until the point of me exiting the building.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.
  • Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.
  • Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.
  • Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.
  • Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.
  • Best for Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Compare Auto Service and Repair