1.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

701 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

Store 1518 at 10306 E Colonial Dr Orlando Fl. I went to my local Pep Boys rather than the Ford dealership because Pep Boys was much closer. The power steering fluid was leaking and I didn't want to go any further than needed. The high pressure switch was leaking and I was quoted $230 for the repair. When I picked the car up I had a $25 coupon from my Ford dealer which they said they would honor, and the price increased to $257.07... go figure. While they had the car on the lift I had asked for an estimate for the rear brakes. Was quoted $749. They said it needed pads, rotors, calipers and a fluid flush. I told them that the fluid had already been done 6k miles earlier. They said it was contaminated. I took the car to the Ford dealership the next day and had the brakes done for $351. There was nothing wrong with either the brake fluid or the calipers. I was a returning customer at Pep Boys, but never again... TOTAL RIP OFF.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I drive 17 miles to go to this Pep Boys (White Marsh, MD). I know I'll receive excellent service and Rick (service manager) works with the mechanics to assure quality work. They go out of their way to work with you. Waiting room is always clean!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 16, 2018

Ordered oil filters online using their website and it asked me to pick up and pay at the store. The store clerk said he could not find the order when I was in the Sunnyvale, El Camino Real store. I showed him the order and the order number and still he would not help me. He could easily have processed the order since the items were in store but he would not help. Complete waste of my time going to store. Decided never to shop or waste time at PEP BOYS and just order online via Amazon or others. Same price and comes home.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Brought my car in to have a service diagnostics done and an oil change. Told them my car was making a noise when turning and when you pressed on the gas it was making a noise. Left my car there and 45 mins later I get a call saying my power steering went, my hose was leaking, my rack was cracked and spark plugs were gone and recommended a tune-up since I'm almost at 118k miles. Ok fine, they give me a quote of 2900.00 and change. I told them that the spark plugs were just done. They told me that they could take off 400.00. I freaked out because I can't afford a new car, I agreed to have it done without thinking since they have serviced my car in the past. I had to go there and retrieve some things out of my car and on my way my husband called and I told him what was going on.

My husband and father in law flipped and said to take it to another mechanic because it didn't sound right. I get there and tell them my husband wants a second opinion, the guy Larry was very nice about it and said he understood and whatever quote I got, he will take 10% off that price. I'm like okay that nice. I take it to this other mechanic and tell them my issue. Well my car stayed with this other mechanic over the weekend (and thank God it did ) and they just called and told me my car was FINE and it just needs steering wheel fluid and a couple of other fluids... Oh and a new windshield wiper... Are you kidding me, I almost paid all that money for nothing that was wrong. Yes when it comes to mechanics I am a little naive. But that was seriously not okay at all. I will never go back, not even for an oil change ever again.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I went in to get four new tires and the manager recommended Definity because it has 30K miles warranty. I purchase and have them installed paying around 600 bucks. 2 months go by and 1 pops from the side so I return to get the tire replaced and they tell me they cannot help me. That I have to contact Definity directly. I specifically ask the guy if anything happens I can bring it back to them, he says yes. After spending easily over 2k in Pep Boys over the past 4years I will never trust or go back again. They made a quick sale on a cheap tire but lost my and my family’s business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had replaced a tire in January of 2018 with a new tire and bought another new tire so both tires would match. Told this could not be done and I would have to buy 4 new tires in order for them to comply with whatever policies you have. Receptionist was rude, male tech was fine. Replacing a tire with the same brand and manufacturer dates basically similar... what's the problem???

Original review: April 9, 2018

We took our 2003 Ford to the Mesquite, Texas location and was told that it would be at about 4 hours, take in mind that this was @ 9am on a Sunday. For starters the Manager is a true idiot. When you try to get precise answers to your question he acts as if you are annoying him. When it was past time for the work to be done I called to see if they were done, 9 hours later I was told that they would call me and let me know.

So my husband and I decided to go to the shop and wait, well they never called. It was 5:15 and they close at 6, and not a phone call. Nothing, they then started to let the bay doors down to close so we went in to the store to find out what was going on with our car, and the Manager said, "Oh it's not ready..." My response was, "You guys wasn't even going to call to say anything." By this time we were pissed. He gave a lot of unacceptable reason why it wasn't going to be ready at the last min. of course. So we stated to him that we need our car today so he said, "You can wait if you like." Oh and we did. I have taken cars to this location many times but this time was the worst.

There is not any form of courtesy when it comes to common sense. He was upset I believe because he had another young lady to check us out (Amy). She was very nice and apologetic but as I told her it was not her fault. It was the Manager's fault for not calling to let us know how the process was going. I feel that he is a very rude dry s.o.b who seems as if he hates what he does and if there is anyone that shouldn't be working with the public it is him. He is nasty to customers and not helpful nor does he take into consideration anything. Yes we did get our car and it is running great thus far, but he needs to take training in customer service ethics or find another profession like maybe working with animals in the wilderness.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Took my 98 Ford Ranger to have the brake fluid removed and replaced after a master cylinder change. I was given the keys with the pedal sinking to the floor. Unbelievable. They were expecting me to drive in this condition. I discussed that this was unacceptable and was told maybe another $30 of adjustment service could fix the problem. They found a emergence drum brake cable to be discontinued at the left rear. The brakes were improved but still not acceptable. By now I have no faith in the service department and took my truck home to fix it myself, which I did by a simple bleeding. Hard pedal and great service because of my efforts and not Pep Boys. I called the service department and informed them that I had fixed my brakes. They thanked me... No offers of compensation for their lack of follow through. Done. I have no use for your services or parts.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I scheduled a 9 AM appointment to have a diagnostic done. My vehicle was not moved until 11:30 AM... so, I had to call my office and reschedule my appointments. Thought the desk person was polite, Pep Boys did nothing to demonstrate accountability for this issue.

Original review: March 19, 2018

We have been bringing our cars here for the past year. Each time, they seem to find deals to save us money on our vehicle repairs. This time, we decided to compare the parts costs as they seemed really high. We not only found the parts much cheaper directly from GM (OEM parts) but even cheaper on the Pep Boys own parts sales website! They were trying to justify the 40% mark up on their own price by saying that the parts and labor are warrantied, like it's some great gift they are giving us! We are paying for future repairs we shouldn't even need if they do their job right! Looking back over the past receipts, we see a disturbing pattern where they jack up the prices and then give "discounts" in the guise of "helping their customers". This is a classic shill and drop technique usually reserved for used car sales and other unscrupulous sales scenarios. Go anywhere else!

Original review: March 15, 2018

After getting my new tires put on my tire pressure was on from the moment I got my car back. I filled the tires with air and the light stayed on. When I went to go look at the driver's manual, I noticed that the entire glove compartment was out of place. I guess they looked in there to see how to turn it off and practically ripped it off. I am furious! Now I have to back for them to "fix it." It is ridiculous that I have to take more of my time to address this issue. When they damaged it, they should have told me.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After having the a/c diagnosed at a local repair shop I called around to get price for replacement. Pep Boys was about 300 less than the shop that found the issue. Complete replacement of a/c including coil was 981 at PB's. I was quoted that by Ron. When I dropped off the car I verified this price. When I picked up the car I asked again if coil was replaced and was told no. Ron charged me an additional fee to 'flush' the original coil! So I was charged the price quoted plus another charge for less materials than I was quoted. This is bad. Ron seemed uninterested.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wanted my right back hub bearing replaced to stop the loud noise. It turns out the problem was not the hub bearing, but instead of telling me it was not the hub bearing they replaced a part that did not need to be replaced. In addition, it takes one hour and one half to change a hub bearing. They took less than 25 minutes. They took my 300.00 dollars and lied. The problem I came to get fixed was not fixed. They lied.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Complaint against Pep Boys store #1619 located at 6820 South Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33813. My car is in excellent shape and I'm OCD about maintenance and repair. I went in for a radiator flush and came out with a busted radiator leaking antifreeze. I now need a new radiator. They broke the part where the top hose mounts to the radiator. They used too much force taking it off. Plain and simple. I collected the broken pieces from the hose and top of engine area.

The manager ** claims that it must have had a crack in it already or that it was already busted into pieces. BS, no way. Two certified mechanics that I have used for years worked on my car doing a major tuneup and lower suspension work the day before. Everything was fine with the radiator - I never had any leaks or overheating problems ever. My car always has ice cold air in summer and fast heat in winter. I want Pep Boys to do the right thing - replace and install a new radiator and flush the system. The manager only offered to buy a new radiator but I would have to pay to have it installed. Seriously??? I hope we can work this out. If not, I will file in reconciliation (small claims) court.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I had tires mounted oy CTS4. The wheels were pristine with only little blemishes. After doing the service I left and parked the car in the garage and didn't look at it again for 2 days. Upon wiping off all the grease I was left only to find they had scratched and chipped all 4 wheels. I called the shop and manager (who by the way should get a raise) drove to my house and looked at them. That night he agreed we would be able to come to an agreement, that in fact he thought that at least some of the damage was done by them.

When returning the next day the, after the manager spoke with his boss had changed his tune and all of a sudden it was nothing wrong and nothing he was able to do. They directed me to their customer service department which have been giving me the runaround. Never ever take your vehicle to this chop shop unless you just do not care. There is a reason why they may be the cheapest place in town. Complete and utter disappointment and regret, too bad hindsight is 20-20.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This place needs to be investigated. In my life, I have not seen a business so deceiving and dishonest. This place will go to great lengths to make you think that your vehicle needs repairs. It sounds kinda crazy, but, like the other reviews on here, I do not know how they get any business. The game they play is simple. Come in for a "free" estimate, and we will diagnose your car with multiple problems, and you can die on the way home. Seriously, they had all of their employees acting in a way in hopes to convince the customers to think their vehicle is not safe.

The "free estimate" is not free at all. It is a free opportunity for them to come back and tell you that your vehicle won't make it home or needs repaired immediately. They will not come tell you that your vehicle is good, come back and see us in a few months. Last time they tried to hustle me, I had asked them to look at my caliper because I heard a clunk noise when I tried to stop. It wasn't anything crazy and the car would stop, it just made a funny noise. They came back to say I need 800 dollars worth of brake repairs and a repaired or new rear differential. That was over 6 months ago. After the free inspection, my car is running great, and the brakes are great too. They were so rude after I told them I was not going to get any work done on my car. It was night and day in regards to their attitude.

The staff at Pep Boys in Reno is not very intelligent. They do not understand that smart people will see the BS not come back. They tried to lie to me about my warranty and that would have cost me over 2 grand. It is like their whole shtick is to see if they can convince you that you need car repairs, and take you to the cleaners. Maybe they will change their name again and try to hit the reset button, but don't take your vehicle to Pep Boys in Reno, they are horrible.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

When picking up my car because I chose not to have them perform the service (it was overpriced) the manager raised his voice. Told me I needed to do it here, refused to tell me the price for the diagnostic so I could pay, then followed me out of the store berating me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

We have a F350 Ford and scheduled an appt for 4 new tires and front end alignment. We were told approximately 2 hrs for the service. After 2 hrs we were told another hour. After 3 hours, they still only had 2 tires on the truck. We were told another hour or so they’d be finished. 1 hour per tire is completely unacceptable. No discount was offered. And the only explanation given was that our truck is heavy. I will never use Pep Boys again!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I went to buy four tires. They were buy 4 get 1 free. They ended up giving me a different tire from what they told me they were going to give me and overcharged me on top of not giving me my 10% military veteran discount. At the original point of sale I told them I didn't want the tires to put my old ones back on and I would go somewhere else but they told me they couldn't do that what I thought was supposed to be no more than $350 is turned out at first to be more than 500. I told them all I had was 450 so they discount of the price to 446 and I left very dissatisfied only because I had my daughter with me and had somewhere to be. Two months went by I had a problem with one of the tires.

I originally purchased the hazard roadside warranty which they told me I didn't have to worry about anything if anything happened to my tire that they would replace it. Turns out I took my tire in which needed a simple plug that they said they couldn't fix and charge me another $20 after I got upset, then I drove away, after getting both receipts I found several discrepancies in their itemized detailed receipts. Since then I found out that they gave me a different tire from which they sold me and I'm in the process of trying to still sort all this out

After getting $126 back I'm still not satisfied. I want all of my money back. At least do not go to Pep Boys. I would not recommend it. They upsell and overcharged on top of all this they tried to sell me an alignment and which I did not need and also scratched my rim on the tire that I had to replace that should have been under warranty. I really hope something gets resolved. I wonder how many other people have gone through the same similar situation. I can't imagine that I'm the only one. I'm sure they owe a lot of people a lot of money. I'm not going to stop until I get mine back. This is very shady and not very good business. It's not what they advertise. I even asked what is the final price going to be they would not give me a final price. They sold me a tire and which is not what they said it was supposed to be. The Definity HP 100 is not the same as it Definity HP 800.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Took my car. They read the codes. They claimed I needed a tune-up with ignition coils and Oc2 sensor. Total was close to $1,300. Went to a neighborhood mechanic who has been in since 1965 mechanic, all I needed was the sensor. This mechanic had no idea what I was previously told, part $176, $85 lower than the part Pep Boys was going to charge me for my total cost was $276 not almost $1300. Very unfair how they try to treat the consumer...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Went there with complaint of no heat and received lousy service and then lied too also. After 3 hours wait was presented with bill for $348.00 then told they guessed I needed a heater core and was told it would cost to diagnose the issue. I called corporate office and after 3 days received a call from Chicago area manager and was told he would call me back. Waited a couple days and received a call from another area manager who told me store manager would call me back and refund 50% of total bill which was never done. If this is the face of Pep Boy's professional image there is certainly a problem in regards to honesty, integrity, professional image just to mention a few variables. I was told that a rear strut was needed and when I went to their competitor to have my issues resolved the strut issue was a total $657.00 fabrication.

Had to shell out 2.5 times more money to get the job Pep Boy's was to have diagnosed but didn't and certainly would have paid them to resolve this issue which they either weren't qualified to do or were simply being fraudulent in the way I was dealt with. All I got was lies, no refund, and feel all should be aware of these unethical business practices. Took time to post a review on Pep Boy's website and was told they could not post this review for it was not the type they wanted. In other words don't reflect or tell the truth about this service facade.

Have bought parts there for years and wrongly assumed their service would be Creme De La Creme and they quickly straightened out this costly misconception. Shame, Shame, Shame on you Pep Boy. Selling service and can't complete requests and lie about needed parts and refunds. To all awake aware to know exactly who you are doing business with and check reviews before reaching into your pocket. This Pep Boy is located in the 7000 S. block of Cicero next door north of WALMART.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I am very disappointed in the service we received yesterday. My Daughter took her vehicle in to get the coolant reservoir fixed at Pep Boys Garner NC and they overcharged me on everything except maybe the coolant. AllData said .4, Indentifix said .4 and Mitchell said .8 & I was charged 1.1 to R/R the coolant reservoir. When I called to inquire about this I was told they use Identifix & it shows 1.1. Now that I have proof that Identifix shows .4 now the store is saying they use their own labor guide. When I asked for a store Mgr I kept being transferred right back to the same guy I busted lying even though I was told the Mgr was in by the lady that answered the phone. When their hourly rate is $140 that time adds up to a lot money out of the customer's pocket that they are essentially stealing. Oh and by the way the hourly rate per online says it's 129 but I was charged 140.

The part they fixed they charged me $51.78 but the price for the part in their store and online is $26.99. Why did they mark it up? It's not like they had to get it elsewhere like a small repair shop has to. They made a profit on the same part on 2 separate occasions once going on the shelf and then when they upped it on the service side. Shop fees are outrageously high also. I will never take another vehicle to Pep Boys nor will I be able to give a good review. It does not cost $330 to R/R a coolant reservoir and there is no way they can honestly justify charging this amount. It shouldn't have been more than $180 max!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Daughter has a flat tire on Blazer. Take some tools, remove said tire, go to Pep Boys. Walk into empty lobby, asked about having tire repaired. 2 guys, both doing obviously important work on their computers (one is on phone trying to hire help... Probably need it). Guy 1 says, after apprehensively checking out the 1st 4 or 5 empty bays behind him, says, "Yeah, we can do it, give me a minute". Guy 2 (phone guy) says, "We don't patch, we plug". Fine. 5 minutes later, lobby, and bay's, still empty, both guys still on computer. No questions, no statements, no conversation in any way, no customer service. Except what MIGHT be happening via the computer. Screw the customer standing in the lobby.

I've posted about the terrible customer service here before. Last encounter, made an appointment to have squealing brakes looked at (another Pep Boys story). After arriving at appointment time, was told they couldn't get me in for 2 hours. And apparently nothing has changed. I have a card with these guys as a "just in case" thing and today was one of those times.

Frankly, every time the brakes squeal, I remember how much I dislike the thought of doing business with these guys. From the 1st time they ripped me for a broken lug bolt they charged me for (but did not replace... To be fair, they did refund my money) to the aforementioned brake job. However, unfortunately, they were the closest possible repair and I reckon I keep thinking, different time, different location, maybe things will be better. Thanks Pep Boys for the reassurance that old dogs just can't learn new tricks. I may once again have to call upon your "service" but at least I won't go in with high hopes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I ordered tires and made an appointment online for same day installation. Received a phone call. “We sold your tires to someone else but we can order them from one of our stores in Maryland for you. We will call you when the tires arrive." Well ok mistakes happen not a problem. In a couple of days my tires should be in. Today marks my two week anniversary of being lied to. I have received no communication at all except a "how was the service you received" email.

Now if I were in the retail and sales business again and had a customer ready to drop over $500 on merchandise that I didn’t have in stock, it would make sense to me to have it in two days three days at the max. Also to call said customer to at least update them if it was to be longer than when I told them it would be. Unfortunately this store doesn’t believe in good customer service for everyone. Now the sad thing is for them is I have two more vehicles that take much larger and more expensive tires then my previous order. Now Walmart will be getting all my business. Because even though they had to order my tires as well they received them in two days and called me the minute they arrived.

My suggestion to Pep Boys of Greensburg. Next time you get a customer's tires shipped from one of your other stores in Maryland. Maybe use a delivery method that involves a truck. I say this because the only explanation I can think of for these tires being two weeks late is that there are four Pep Boys employees physically rolling these tires up the side of the road as I write this. That or someone thinks good customer service involves using metaphorical nuts and bolts for their customers. Why nuts and bolts you ask. Because not only did I get The screws by this employee so did Pep Boys. Me for not getting tires when I needed them and Pep Boys for losing potentially $1700 of my money for more tires and services this month to Walmart.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I spent an afternoon selecting a battery for my car, found the right one on Pep Boys added to cart. It was late night and the Pep Boys webpage said articles are saved for 90 days in the cart. Went to bed, woke up next day logged in and there was a pop up forcing me to accept to lose my kart. They stole my battery out of the cart and gave it to another customer. Complained that their policy is the item stays in the cart for 90 days. They ignored me. Came to this website. Read a few reviews, this company lies and rip off customers. After all I am glad I don't have to buy from them. I will avoid them in the future.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

On December 11, 2017 I brought me Honda Accord into PEP boys because it was making a humming noise on the passenger wheel. This was at 8:15 when I arrived, I had called first and I was told to bring my car in. Well, Lord behold I kept checking to see what was taking so long by 12 noon. The one tech came out and mention that it was a charge to diagnose my car. I said that will be okay and he stated some amount.

After 2 pm, Brandon the manager comes out, stated we missed diagnosis your car and they will need to keep it because he has it apart. He trying calling the junkyards to locate steering knuckle, since my car is a older model car. Brandon stated that since they misdiagnose my car he saved me $1200 hundred dollars and they are going to fix my car. But, in the meantime, I am asking, "So why do I have to pay for something that was broke and you repaired it". Brandon stated well eventually it would have went out.

I stated, "You're leaving a bad taste in mouth". Brandon came back out saying all junkyards are closed on Saturday and he will have to keep me car, because he has it torn apart. Lord behold, I called every junk in the area, and they stated that they are opened on Saturday and Sundays. I call PEP boys back on Monday stating, "Is my car ready", Brandon stated that he was in the shop by himself, but it's coming along. I called back at 4 pm letting him no that I was getting off from work in 30 minutes and what about my. Brandon stated it's ready. Until this day, I haven't heard from Pep Boys on this matter. I want something done for this company, repairing something that wasn't broke and charged me this amount.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

My son used to work at a Pep Boys. I know they're all about quotas and GOUGING THE ** OUT OF CUSTOMERS. My daughter scheduled an appointment with these people twice, once for an inspection and once for tires. They charged her, and she paid them, for an unnecessary water pump, total, $490. Inspection? $575 for a right front motor mount. Sweet baby corn... I can do that in 20 minutes with a $21 part. I guess I need to accompany my daughter EACH AND EVERY time she goes there. They literally see a "sucker" and especially at Christmas time. I don't blame the technicians. They're just trying to make a buck. Shame on you, Pep Boys. Get your ** together. If you claim to be automotive technicians and certified inspection agents, do THAT. Stop gouging the customer. On a side note, if you need quality work, come to me, or I can refer you to someone who can do your job (if it's necessary) for FREE.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017 Worst Experience Ever and I have yet to hear back from anyone in Senior Management after 5 days of filing my complaint thru PepSocial@PepBoys.com!

I rarely post any reviews but this has gone beyond what I would consider an acceptable time frame to reach out and do what's right. I was at the Pine Brook NJ Service Center on a Sunday morning to replace 4 tires. I patiently waited an hour before the tech was able to get to my car. The employee that drove the car into the bay, didn't know how to drive my car so I had to step out and guide him on how to get the car into 1st gear and get it to move. Once the car was inside, they removed all 4 wheels and I observed the tech remove the first tire.

I noticed that the tech was having a hard time getting the new tire on so he asked another employee for help. That employee went to grab a pry bar that is not meant to be used on wheels. The tech was already using the correct bar designed to be used with the tire mount machine. I even YouTubed how to mount a tire while I watched them carry on this fiasco. While that was going on, I couldn't help but notice that the tech was not only slipping on the wheel as it turned on the machine, but he was also popping, damaging, scraping and scratching the inside and outside of the wheel at the same time with the pry bar! !

I made them aware that they were not using the right technique to mounting the tires based on previous experience and observations on top of the YouTube video which I tried to share with the crew! Soon after that, the manager asked if I wanted to go to another pep boys to get the job done because the tech wasn't qualified to do the work!!! Are you kidding me?!? I waited an hour before they attended to me, when they did start, they spent an hour working on 1 wheel... then, they damaged the wheel they started to work on and all of a sudden... the tech isn't qualified to do the work?!? Why wasn't I told before he started to work on the car that the tech wasn't qualified?

I was told by manager/sales rep who was there that morning to call the next day to resolve the issue with the scratches on my wheel and even gifted me a free oil change! Add injury to insult, I would never go back for anything to this facility, let alone an oil change!! I proceeded to file my complaint thru pepsocial@pepboys.com and 5+ days later, I have yet to hear from Senior Management or anyone else for that matter. I am simply irritated and disgusted by the level of professionalism and knowledge this crew had and now even PepSocial in addition to Senior Management!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I had an online appointment at 8 am 12/14/2017 - Store 127 Gainesville FL. I arrived 10 minutes early and the person of the counter Christina ** told me that 2 other customers are ahead of me. I objected since I had my first app of 8 am and no other app were possible to be scheduled earlier than 8 am. She said that I should wait as she waited when she was at the doctor office? Rude and unrelated with present issue. Only ONE mechanic was available for all shop for 10 garage doors/work stations? Waste of resources. Meanwhile 3 receptionists were killing time - playing loud music, dancing, playing computer games and having private conversations across the store. I witnessed a number of customers coming and leaving after they were informed of insufficient mechanics. Lost business due to mismanagement.

The waiting room was dirty on the floor/chairs/tables/windows - Trash on the floor - food wraps/empty water bottles, several days old customer invoices/receipts with private information discarded. The TV was on displaying static- even a cable box was attached to it. The water fountain in the store not working. I had to wait 2 HOURS until the mechanic finally took my car. I explained him the problem I have with one of the upper front strut mounting seats - A round rubber part that was broken. Both struts and spring were ok. I know for sure that since 2 other independent garages identify the problem. The reason I choose Pep Boys was the strut installation promotion 50% = $45-- That was not honored on the invoice - labor charged $289? He ignored me and wrote by hand? An estimate for replacement of both front/rear struts/springs.

Receptionist Christina ** struggled to read the mechanic handwriting for many minutes and made several mistakes on the invoice. I pointed to double charges of 2 different struts she tried to charge me and extra warranty that she did not disclosed to be optional. Over $1300 overcharged!! The numbers on the invoice shows $515 for package subtotal but parts total $563? After my objections she reduced the bill to $979. All other stores estimate was under $150 with no labor/installation discount! I am amazed how this store can survive with such incompetence, bad customer service, scamming customers?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I did not like the service of Pep Boys because I had to repair my air conditioning. They charged me $3500. On the second day stopped working. I went back there. I said it was leaking somewhere else and wants to charge me another $750.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information