Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.53/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

813 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

It was late in the day & very very hot outside. I called Motley who answered the phone & explained that my son was having engine problems with his BMW. He needed the car for work so time was of the essence. David the manager along with Motley kept me informed every step of the way assuring me that the car would be complete on time & running like a purring kitten. They diagnosed the problems & replaced all that was needed to make the car run great. My son was so happy & I had experienced another Pep Boys example of great customer service. I had my Lincoln worked on there as well with the same result.

In addition, my daughter had a full brake system rebuild that week in Piedmont Georgia in the Pep Boys Store. Joseph took great care of my daughter's car & treated me will all the respect I could ever ask for. I have had only wonderful experiences with both shops. I hope the head managers will pass these comments on to those who serve them so well as employees & not owners. Bravo to you Motley & David & Joseph for showing me that 'Old World Courtesy' still exists.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I broke down on I75 near Florence KY on Christmas Eve. This crew went above and beyond to help me out and get me back on the road to continue to travel the additional 3 hours to get home. Not only did they have the parts but installed them in a timely manner and then discounted the labor because it was a holiday. This was store #0259 and I would highly recommend them to anyone that needs repairs.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I'll not give the confidential specifics of my recent experience except to say that I had an unexpected outcome that was great. I had quit using this location for about two or three years because of poor service and bad management. Then, in their wisdom, Pep Boys transferred an experienced and highly effective Manager from another store to this location. Thomas, unlike other Service Managers is, in my opinion, a true Manager with an eye on customer satisfaction. I believe, that while he stills has problems to resolve, he knows how to get it done.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

10 minutes before 8 p.m. closing time I drove my vehicle up to Pep Boys brightly lighted garage with an unexpected flat tire. I was totally in distress. I actually have an account with Tires Plus and went to the location on Dunn Avenue first and was turned away by the Manager who made it very clear that they were closed and he could not help me and advised me to take my car which had a visible flat tire up to Pep Boys who was still open. I had never patronized Pep Boys before, but I was desperate for help so I proceeded to the location with a sense of urgency.

My God I was greeted with such a warm welcome by Service Manager Devron ** and Jacob (the Friendly Mechanic). Even though I was arriving right before closing time they were so friendly, helpful and understanding. Unbeknownst to them they was assisting an U.S. Air Force Veteran who was visiting from Las Vegas, Nevada. My spouse and I was so moved by their generosity, we decided to close our Tires Plus Accounts and from this point on will take all car service needs to Pep Boys from Florida to Nevada. God Bless You, Pep Boys.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Very impressed with the quality of work. Mr. ** is awesome, great, knowledgeable and care. There were no surprising extra costs as other shops do. He took care of all of my car problems. I will be using this service again. He was very professional and courteous. Clearly he know what he's doing and is a very capable mechanic. I felt very comfortable having him work on my car and we chatted about quite a few things automobile related. Clearly, he's passionate and love helping people like me and my wife who don't know nothing about car repair. Now my car is on good hand all my worries is gone. Please visit this location (store #0436) ask for him and see for yourself. Thank you Mr. **. You rock.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I had brake rotors and brake pads installed all the way around as well as shocks all the way around. Also had a new master cylinder installed and I wanted them to flush the power steering fluid and perform an oil change. They left some of the hard and heavy old hardware to the old shocks in the engine compartment. They put the wrong oil in the car. The oil cap clearly states 5w-30. They put 10w-30 in it, and now the oil is leaking from the oil plug. The new master cylinder they installed is leaking. The power steering won't hold any fluid at all now. It just all leaks out overnight. My informed guess is they didn't install the O-rings back on the hoses. This car didn't leak a single drop of anything before taking it to these people. That said, I certainly don't trust the brake pads and brake rotors they installed. I paid over a thousand dollars for them to tear it up basically.

I called the headquarters line and they had a regional rep call me, but he basically said tough cookies, no refund given. Real jerk about it, too. Very obtuse. He claimed the mechanic had 30 years experience. Pffft. Please. I imagine my car is just another notch on that record of broken vehicles that left there. So, no refund at all, no sorry, no nothing. My Corvette is no longer drivable now and I'm left with a very, very bad experience with this company. Particularly this regional guy. I'm going to have to take it to a small family owned mechanic to undo the damage Pep Boys did to my car and get it fixed right. That'll be a couple more thousand dollars.

Back in the eighties Pep Boys was reliable. Nowadays all they want to do is upsell you needless work and you're lucky to get out of there unscathed. Looking at the invoice, they had over four thousand dollars more work they thought they were gonna create for themselves but I got it out of there once I realized they were taking two days to do a half day worth of work. I wasn't going to take a chance on them tearing more things apart and then being stuck. Reading other reviews, it seems to be a trend, at least in the Mid-Atlantic region where I live. Never again. I won't stop there for anything, not even for Windex.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Bought an expensive battery for our Subaru 7 months ago. They installed a battery with a 10 month ago date on it. The battery lasted 7 months. They replaced it "under warranty" with a battery that is dated almost 1 1/2 years ago. I spoke to the battery manufacturer who said they should not be selling one over 6 months old. They'll be replacing it again. The 'mechanic' who did the replacement today was filthy. No effort to cover the leather seats in our car or remove his greasy fingerprints from the hood. Nor did he bother to replace the protective plastic cover over the positive battery terminal. Last time we will EVER use Pep Boys.

Original review: June 16, 2019

I've used Pep Boys in the past with good results but this experience at Cincinnati/Kenwood location has been terrible. I called last week to confirm pricing and time for repairs. Dropped off car Friday morning and was told everything would be done Friday evening but never heard back from Pep Boys. I called multiple times and was told someone would get back with me... Never received call. It's now Sunday morning and I finally got through to someone at shop, it turns out nothing has been done and they broke something... Service person didn't know what. No manager working this week so I'm on my own. Will be moving to different shop. This has been the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Avoid this location.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I purchased 4 tires from Pep Boys. I have replaced 3 of the Four within months of having them. I was in pep boys yesterday with a tire issue purchasing yet another replacement. Now I've been waiting on the side of the road for another tire issue in less than 24 hours. I have now waited since 11:30 pm. I am writing this at 4 am and I have received no assistance! All services I have personally dealt with this company have been HORRIBLE! Now I'm being told 4.5 hours later I have to wait longer. They are requesting a completely different company. They won't even take me where I need to go to get the tire replaced after this long wait and all the trouble. They are taking me to a convenient location closer for the tow truck. Never will I refer business to these people or do further business.... Absolutely uncalled for.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Call the Maple Shade store. I told him I bolt broke off off the alternator bracket so it's broken in the alternator. If it could be drilled out, "We don't have time to do that today sir, maybe Maple Shade Berlin with Cherry Hill Kia." So first of all I wasn't told that we don't do it. I was told that we couldn't do it so now here I am at Maple Shade and, "We don't do that type of stuff here sir." So now I use Pep Boys Towing. My car is stuck here and I have no way of getting it back or telling it someplace else. We don't talk too often the places what I was told so I was misled and we have a problem and I would never ever go through this issue again. I hope nobody else does so, no I guess get it in writing.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I gone to PepBoys on Delaware Ave. for alignment. They took my truck in to look and tell me that they can’t not do the alignment. They told me that my “tires rubbing on turns, may be over sized tires”. I had waited for almost two hours for that. I was charged $19.00 for steering/sup evaluations and $2.00 shop fee plus taxes total. 23.75. My tires I have on 265/70r17. Ford recommendation 255/70r17. I saw other truck same body had on 265/80r18 Ford rims. I will never go there again to have anything look at.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Bad service Fayetteville NC 1794. I went to Pep Boys to get my car fixed. I paid 600 dollars, and my car was worst than it was when I took it there. I went back to let the mechanic know, and he did not want to check it out and was not helping me at all. I ask to speak to the store manager and he said, "There ain't have one."

Original review: May 14, 2019

I got a quote from another place for them to replace front struts, rear shocks, rear drum brake shoes, front brake pads for about $600. I am a retired mechanic and I generally buy all my parts from Pep Boys. I decided to do all the work myself except the Struts (I got tired, I'm old). I had my son take the struts to Pep Boys and have them do them and told him I would come over and pay for it. When I got there the mechanic told me I owed $360! My mouth fell open! I told him I had the struts already I didn't need to buy them. He said yes sir. I looked at the bill and there is no hours labor listed. Just a $360 charge. I am now through with Pep Boys service department. After 20 years of using Pep Boys. You only cheat me once. Good Bye.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I had the worst experience at the Pep Boys in Homewood IL. The employees there seem to have no idea about how to simply communicate with each other on the customer's behalf. I had my car in for a simple repair and they kept it for several days until I decided I had enough of their excuses. They also refused to refund my money. I highly recommend you don't trust them to fix your car.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Called at 10 am and told them I would like to get tires. They said, "No problem. We can do that." I asked how long would it take. They said 1.5 to 2 hours. I said great. So I bring my car in and also ask them to do an alignment and a oil change. Called 2 times in the day to see if car was ready. Both times they said it was in process. 5 o’clock rolls around and I come in to get my car. They then inform me that the oil cooler gasket needed to be changed. Remember I called twice before I came in. No mention of that issue.

So now it’s been 6 hours later. I had to have someone bring me the gasket so they could fix the problem. Not my job to do that. So I say, "So is that all that needs to be done now?" Should take about 20 minutes. Still sitting 2 hours later and they haven’t even done the alignment yet. This is really unacceptable and I would never had brought my car here if I knew it would be so long to have it done. It wound up taking them 9 hours to do it. Never ever bring your car to the Pep Boys on Wistar in Richmond. Pep Boys used to be pretty good but I guess that’s changed.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I signed up for an oil change on their website using my discount card and a $30 off coupon selecting the $50 oil change. Said I would have to pay only $20.

I arrived at my appointment and the clerk said all he seen was that I had an appointment scheduled. They didn't know for what and didn't see a coupon. Told me it would be $78 for an oil change, when I ask why he said that every car is different and that $50 was just an estimated price not a set price.

Later he came out and changed his story saying $50 is the set price but I had to pay extra because I had a special filter that cost more and wasn't standard for most cars (I drive a 2011 Chevy Cruze) saying it was a cartridge and not a screw type so it cost a lot more almost 15 dollars. After about 40 minutes they came out and said that 2 of my tires need to be replaced because 1 was "dry rotted" but had no signs of cracks or wear and the other had 2 screws in it IN THE SIDEWALL... Said also there was no coupons or deals on just 2 tires and I had to buy full price for over $140 each.

The trip ended up costing me $300 for a simple oil change where my tires had no issues before I visited their store... Oh and by the way everyone that came there at the same time as me was there for something minor as well but had "bad tires" too. Over 7 customers had to buy tires from them because they all had screws in their tires as well. Pep Boys has gone the way of the seedy shifty mechanic that scams its customers and I will never again use their service. If I could put lower than 1 star I would.

Original review: April 22, 2019

First of all Pep Boys kept rejecting my review without a reason why. I had a starter motor installed by Pep Boys and they failed to tighten the electrical connections resulting in the failure to start my car. Called Pep Boys and was told they are busy due to the holiday and to call back after the weekend to arrange a tow. I decided to check the car out and went under the car and found two out of the three wires connected to the starter were loose. After tighten the cables car started right up. If I had Pep Boys redo the job I would have had to pay for towing, diagnostic, and labor. At least $200 for a problem caused by them.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Brought car in for high-mileage oil change, tire rotation and warranty alignment, brake check, engine diagnostic. No leaks of ANY fluids when brought in. Wrong type oil change, had 8 am appt and kept car for 5 1/2 hours for the oil change and diagnostic. Did no tire rotation or alignment, told needed brake job but provided no brake measurements or call to ask if we wanted a brake job done but posted it as needed.

Told we needed complete $1300 radiator replacement for radiator that didn't even need repairing (per a local radiator shop) and came back 1 1/2 to 2 gallons low on coolant, several thousand in other recommended repairs, air dam detached and hanging down under front bumper and we suddenly have an oil leak that didn't exist before the diagnostic and oil change! Filing complaint with Bureau of Automotive Repairs!!! Photo of new leak and unstained driveway showing no history of leaking.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought a set of new tires about a year ago from Pep Boys planning on routine tire rotations since I commute to work. After about six months I took my car in for a oil change and tire rotation. I waited on the service and continuously (every about 5-10 minutes) looked into the garage to see what they were doing. When they lowered the vehicle, I walked out to the garage and politely said "you know I wanted an oil change" and the manager turned to the mechanic and asked him and they insisted that it was done. I was upset knowing they did not but they insisted.

Now, six months later I took my car in for a oil change and tire rotation. I marked all 4 tires. I waited on the service and continuously looked into the garage to see what they were doing. Same thing, the vehicle is lowered and driven to the front. I waited for the mechanic to walk in and hand the keys to the manager. With the manager there, I said I wanted a tire rotation. He hesitated and then said "based on the tire depth it didn't warrant changing, didn't need it". I said I want it anyway. The manager then said, "It is Pep Boys' policy to put the best tires in the back." I told them my previous experience and they insisted on the policy.

I asked to see the written policy; I said I would sign a waiver; they just continued to insist it was policy. I told them my policy was not to pay for service I don't receive and the manager said "OK I'll note that on your account". If that is a true policy it doesn't make sense. If you have all 4 new tires the back tires will always be better and they will never get rotated. I should note this was two different Pep Boy stores both in Pensacola Fl.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Shopped for 4 tires in the Pep Boys' website. The sale was 25% off the tires that brought them down to $345. Then installation was quoted at $118 for a total of $463. When I got to the store he quotes me $782. And had the nerve to tell me that my online didn’t include installation. When I showed him the screenshot that clearly included installation, he said it was wrong. I asked him if the Pep Boys website was his? Because I clearly didn’t create the price out of mid-air. Ron at the McKnight Road PA service desk is absolutely awful and I will never buy another thing at Pep Boys ever again!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought a rear wiper blade for my expedition. Was told it would fit. Tried to install it. Found it was wrong. Took it back 3 hrs later. Wasnt given a receipt. Ended up getting shorted 3 dollars and some change. As a career mechanic and traveling through to say the least I would get better service if they wouldn't helped me at all. Would walk by them to the next store if I was broke down.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I had an emergency brake lines leakage close to Commack’s Pep Boys. I went in for a free estimate, and after waiting for my brakes to be inspected, a manager there took me into the repair area to show me what was wrong. He couldn’t answer my questions satisfactory enough, and told me the repair would take 5 labor hours plus parts! I asked why, he said that's how much time it would take them to “fabricate” brake lines. I didn’t accept his offer. I took my car to Mavis tire and brake shop on Larkfield road in East Northport and they did a great job repairing my leak: only in one and a half hour!!! I would have been ripped off by Pep Boys had I not refused their fake repair estimate.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Pep Boys has unethical business practices, performs unprofessional services, and has zero liability for their negligence when they destroy your vehicle. On or about of February 20th 2019, I had called prior to debrief what service I wanted to be done to my car "Oil Change." I provided them with newly purchased high quality oil, oil filter by Bosch and the additive. The additive is needed because newer generation of motor oils currently lack OEM specifications for older type of vehicles. I stated verbatim on the phone and in person before they rendered the service, place only 5oz of the 3x concentrate of ZDDP into my oil, which is also stated verbatim on the back of the bottle for this make and model...

They did the exact opposite, I witnessed them through the window putting the entire contents of the bottle in my car even when I gave clear and concise instructions. Immediately I spoke directly with their mechanic where I mentioned that from innumerous research that by doing so can cause severe damage to the catalytic converter, whom he responded that information was incorrect. Less than 2 weeks later, my car now guzzles 8 gallons of fuel within 80 mile trip plus no more wind coming out of my exhaust pipe. Diagnosis: Damaged Catalytic Convert. Pep Boys happily declined to repair the inflicted damages to my vehicle. Enter at your own risk. Inability to read, inability to render adequate and professional services.

Original review: March 16, 2019

On 5/13/2017, I went to Pep Boys in Parsippany, NJ for brakes. They recommended to replace the whole front and back brake pads and rotors using Wagner brand. The brake in my car was already 5 years with 41000 miles. I figured it is time to replace it. It costed me $800 in total. The thing is both brake and rotor turn very rusty and now with driving less than 16000 miles and less than 2 years Pep Boys said I will need to replace everything again. They even have 2 years and lifetime warranty, but said if it defective. So this brake and rotors are last less than two years and not warranty saying that it is not defective. I will not go back to Pep Boys ever again.

Also, I put my review on their website, but they not posted it because they will screen your review first and said it not met requirement. Was it because I complained about products and their ripped off that why it is not post. I read other reviewers and they only posted the good reviews. They will screen your review to their liking before they put up on website. This tell you how they are not honest company.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My serpentine belt broke yesterday, leaving me stranded and in need of a tow. I had my car towed to a nearby Pep Boys Center. It was dropped off about 10:30 am. I explained to the staff what had happened and they took my details. I got an Uber to work after they assured it would be complete by 5:00 pm. I called the shop about 3 to check status and they said it was currently being evaluated and they would call me right back. I waited with no call for 2 more hours. At 5 I called back. They said they had lost my number.

Anyway, they said the bill would be $350 for a part I know only cost $30 and labor I could normally do myself in 30 min. After complaining, they reduced the bill to $275. Still absurd for a 30-min job. They charged $71 for a belt I found online for $28 at several stores. If I hadn't complained and talked like I knew a little about cars, I would have surely paid full price and been gouged even more. In short, DON'T go there. Go to a mechanic you can trust.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Took my car to Pep Boys for a simple fix (the starter). They charged me 600 dollars and "fixed" my car. Later on my car started to act weird (it would take a minute to start) then a couple days later it just completely after a couple tries wouldn't start. (So obviously the starter wasn't fixed. All the same signs, lights on dashboard all lit up at once, but the engine just wouldn't crank.) After being very upset (it was 9 pm, I was out with my 7 month old son, stranded in a parking lot because I couldn't get home until a friend was able to finally come get us) we took the car back to Pep Boys in the morning and they said that they hadn't put in a new starter. (Though they charged us for one???)

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had my truck serviced with Pep Boys about three months ago. They left the power steering cap off after flushing it. I drove it for 8 weeks without it. Dirt and debris got into the phone. Now they refuse to replace the pump.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Made an appointment at 8 am to have 2 tires installed. Showed up at 745 am. Was the very 1st customer of the day. Brought technicians a dozen of fresh donuts. Explained to the tech that we didn't want the spare tire and the one good tire to be put in the trunk. We explained leave them out and we would put them in ourselves, He said ok. We sat down to wait in the waiting room. No water in the coffee machine so couldn't have coffee. Waited for 3-4 hrs. People that came in way after us came and went. We were still waiting. This place was dirty and employees not friendly. They don't keep appointment times and we will never ever come back. Work wasn't to par. Don't waste your time and money here. Go somewhere else! Terrible service!

Original review: March 8, 2019

After getting the wrong alternator. I brought back and ask for the 1 that was for automatic transmission for Toyota Rav4 2004. Union City did not have the 11088 but San Leandro did. I got a refund card and when I handed the clerk Lexi he asked where is the core. The clerk did not give me any credit for the core? So now is where it gets strange. So the original alternator plus core should have been 118.00 but my alternator has a 40.00 core not a 30.00 core. It’s 100amp.

I exchanges the core at The same time I got the first new 13957 which was wrong. So the gift card credit only was 88.00 but should have been 40.00 for core for 128 even 30 core is 118 but I never got receipt that shows I ever had a core credit? I had the original receipt. Then San Leandro has the 11088 for 124.00 so my receipt has Wilson alternator 84.99. Then it had Wilson alternator 124.99 -40.00 that’s where the 84.99 then she puts 40. Back on as a core item? So after she recharges me it from 84.99 then to 124.99 then with my credit she said I OWED 48.07? This can’t be right? Plus on the original receipt it state core item 0.0?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Here is my driveway after an oil change at Pepboys on March Lane in Stockton. There is no oil in the car because it is all on my driveway. My son got an oil change and went to work to deliver pizzas. He called me and told me his oil light came on so I had to bring him my car to finish his deliveries. He got the oil changed so he did not have problems and this terrible job Pepboys did hopefully has not caused any serious problems to my son's engine.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information