Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

800 Pep Boys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Brought car in for high-mileage oil change, tire rotation and warranty alignment, brake check, engine diagnostic. No leaks of ANY fluids when brought in. Wrong type oil change, had 8 am appt and kept car for 5 1/2 hours for the oil change and diagnostic. Did no tire rotation or alignment, told needed brake job but provided no brake measurements or call to ask if we wanted a brake job done but posted it as needed.

Told we needed complete $1300 radiator replacement for radiator that didn't even need repairing (per a local radiator shop) and came back 1 1/2 to 2 gallons low on coolant, several thousand in other recommended repairs, air dam detached and hanging down under front bumper and we suddenly have an oil leak that didn't exist before the diagnostic and oil change! Filing complaint with Bureau of Automotive Repairs!!! Photo of new leak and unstained driveway showing no history of leaking.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought a set of new tires about a year ago from Pep Boys planning on routine tire rotations since I commute to work. After about six months I took my car in for a oil change and tire rotation. I waited on the service and continuously (every about 5-10 minutes) looked into the garage to see what they were doing. When they lowered the vehicle, I walked out to the garage and politely said "you know I wanted an oil change" and the manager turned to the mechanic and asked him and they insisted that it was done. I was upset knowing they did not but they insisted.

Now, six months later I took my car in for a oil change and tire rotation. I marked all 4 tires. I waited on the service and continuously looked into the garage to see what they were doing. Same thing, the vehicle is lowered and driven to the front. I waited for the mechanic to walk in and hand the keys to the manager. With the manager there, I said I wanted a tire rotation. He hesitated and then said "based on the tire depth it didn't warrant changing, didn't need it". I said I want it anyway. The manager then said, "It is Pep Boys' policy to put the best tires in the back." I told them my previous experience and they insisted on the policy.

I asked to see the written policy; I said I would sign a waiver; they just continued to insist it was policy. I told them my policy was not to pay for service I don't receive and the manager said "OK I'll note that on your account". If that is a true policy it doesn't make sense. If you have all 4 new tires the back tires will always be better and they will never get rotated. I should note this was two different Pep Boy stores both in Pensacola Fl.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Shopped for 4 tires in the Pep Boys' website. The sale was 25% off the tires that brought them down to $345. Then installation was quoted at $118 for a total of $463. When I got to the store he quotes me $782. And had the nerve to tell me that my online didn’t include installation. When I showed him the screenshot that clearly included installation, he said it was wrong. I asked him if the Pep Boys website was his? Because I clearly didn’t create the price out of mid-air. Ron at the McKnight Road PA service desk is absolutely awful and I will never buy another thing at Pep Boys ever again!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought a rear wiper blade for my expedition. Was told it would fit. Tried to install it. Found it was wrong. Took it back 3 hrs later. Wasnt given a receipt. Ended up getting shorted 3 dollars and some change. As a career mechanic and traveling through to say the least I would get better service if they wouldn't helped me at all. Would walk by them to the next store if I was broke down.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I had an emergency brake lines leakage close to Commack’s Pep Boys. I went in for a free estimate, and after waiting for my brakes to be inspected, a manager there took me into the repair area to show me what was wrong. He couldn’t answer my questions satisfactory enough, and told me the repair would take 5 labor hours plus parts! I asked why, he said that's how much time it would take them to “fabricate” brake lines. I didn’t accept his offer. I took my car to Mavis tire and brake shop on Larkfield road in East Northport and they did a great job repairing my leak: only in one and a half hour!!! I would have been ripped off by Pep Boys had I not refused their fake repair estimate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pep Boys?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Pep Boys has unethical business practices, performs unprofessional services, and has zero liability for their negligence when they destroy your vehicle. On or about of February 20th 2019, I had called prior to debrief what service I wanted to be done to my car "Oil Change." I provided them with newly purchased high quality oil, oil filter by Bosch and the additive. The additive is needed because newer generation of motor oils currently lack OEM specifications for older type of vehicles. I stated verbatim on the phone and in person before they rendered the service, place only 5oz of the 3x concentrate of ZDDP into my oil, which is also stated verbatim on the back of the bottle for this make and model...

They did the exact opposite, I witnessed them through the window putting the entire contents of the bottle in my car even when I gave clear and concise instructions. Immediately I spoke directly with their mechanic where I mentioned that from innumerous research that by doing so can cause severe damage to the catalytic converter, whom he responded that information was incorrect. Less than 2 weeks later, my car now guzzles 8 gallons of fuel within 80 mile trip plus no more wind coming out of my exhaust pipe. Diagnosis: Damaged Catalytic Convert. Pep Boys happily declined to repair the inflicted damages to my vehicle. Enter at your own risk. Inability to read, inability to render adequate and professional services.

Original review: March 16, 2019

On 5/13/2017, I went to Pep Boys in Parsippany, NJ for brakes. They recommended to replace the whole front and back brake pads and rotors using Wagner brand. The brake in my car was already 5 years with 41000 miles. I figured it is time to replace it. It costed me $800 in total. The thing is both brake and rotor turn very rusty and now with driving less than 16000 miles and less than 2 years Pep Boys said I will need to replace everything again. They even have 2 years and lifetime warranty, but said if it defective. So this brake and rotors are last less than two years and not warranty saying that it is not defective. I will not go back to Pep Boys ever again.

Also, I put my review on their website, but they not posted it because they will screen your review first and said it not met requirement. Was it because I complained about products and their ripped off that why it is not post. I read other reviewers and they only posted the good reviews. They will screen your review to their liking before they put up on website. This tell you how they are not honest company.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My serpentine belt broke yesterday, leaving me stranded and in need of a tow. I had my car towed to a nearby Pep Boys Center. It was dropped off about 10:30 am. I explained to the staff what had happened and they took my details. I got an Uber to work after they assured it would be complete by 5:00 pm. I called the shop about 3 to check status and they said it was currently being evaluated and they would call me right back. I waited with no call for 2 more hours. At 5 I called back. They said they had lost my number.

Anyway, they said the bill would be $350 for a part I know only cost $30 and labor I could normally do myself in 30 min. After complaining, they reduced the bill to $275. Still absurd for a 30-min job. They charged $71 for a belt I found online for $28 at several stores. If I hadn't complained and talked like I knew a little about cars, I would have surely paid full price and been gouged even more. In short, DON'T go there. Go to a mechanic you can trust.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Took my car to Pep Boys for a simple fix (the starter). They charged me 600 dollars and "fixed" my car. Later on my car started to act weird (it would take a minute to start) then a couple days later it just completely after a couple tries wouldn't start. (So obviously the starter wasn't fixed. All the same signs, lights on dashboard all lit up at once, but the engine just wouldn't crank.) After being very upset (it was 9 pm, I was out with my 7 month old son, stranded in a parking lot because I couldn't get home until a friend was able to finally come get us) we took the car back to Pep Boys in the morning and they said that they hadn't put in a new starter. (Though they charged us for one???)

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had my truck serviced with Pep Boys about three months ago. They left the power steering cap off after flushing it. I drove it for 8 weeks without it. Dirt and debris got into the phone. Now they refuse to replace the pump.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Made an appointment at 8 am to have 2 tires installed. Showed up at 745 am. Was the very 1st customer of the day. Brought technicians a dozen of fresh donuts. Explained to the tech that we didn't want the spare tire and the one good tire to be put in the trunk. We explained leave them out and we would put them in ourselves, He said ok. We sat down to wait in the waiting room. No water in the coffee machine so couldn't have coffee. Waited for 3-4 hrs. People that came in way after us came and went. We were still waiting. This place was dirty and employees not friendly. They don't keep appointment times and we will never ever come back. Work wasn't to par. Don't waste your time and money here. Go somewhere else! Terrible service!

Original review: March 8, 2019

After getting the wrong alternator. I brought back and ask for the 1 that was for automatic transmission for Toyota Rav4 2004. Union City did not have the 11088 but San Leandro did. I got a refund card and when I handed the clerk Lexi he asked where is the core. The clerk did not give me any credit for the core? So now is where it gets strange. So the original alternator plus core should have been 118.00 but my alternator has a 40.00 core not a 30.00 core. It’s 100amp.

I exchanges the core at The same time I got the first new 13957 which was wrong. So the gift card credit only was 88.00 but should have been 40.00 for core for 128 even 30 core is 118 but I never got receipt that shows I ever had a core credit? I had the original receipt. Then San Leandro has the 11088 for 124.00 so my receipt has Wilson alternator 84.99. Then it had Wilson alternator 124.99 -40.00 that’s where the 84.99 then she puts 40. Back on as a core item? So after she recharges me it from 84.99 then to 124.99 then with my credit she said I OWED 48.07? This can’t be right? Plus on the original receipt it state core item 0.0?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Here is my driveway after an oil change at Pepboys on March Lane in Stockton. There is no oil in the car because it is all on my driveway. My son got an oil change and went to work to deliver pizzas. He called me and told me his oil light came on so I had to bring him my car to finish his deliveries. He got the oil changed so he did not have problems and this terrible job Pepboys did hopefully has not caused any serious problems to my son's engine.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

The level of discrimination against a single female at a Pep Boys is disgusting and criminal. Sharing this story so others are informed. I went in for a diagnostic appointment at 1437 Sunrise Plaza Dr, Clermont, FL 34714. The manager ** along with ** never provided an authorization form for work performed (pursuant to Florida Statute 559.905 Written motor vehicle repair estimate and disclosure statement required). The entire team at this store proceeded to take my car apart and tell me they were unable to reassemble my car and come back later. (They wouldn't lower it from the lift or put my tires back on.) They held my car for 3 days hostage and charged me over $1800 to get it back. (My car KBB value is $400).

When I brought up the statute and the price versus the value of my car ** berated me verbally in front of other customers and bullied me into literally buying my car back from them. The only way to get my car back was to sign for the over $1800 of which I signed electronically not my name but merely, "under duress, with extreme prejudice." After taking my car to another verified mechanic, he found all my OEM parts were replaced with aftermarket parts and work charged on Pep Boys receipt (5 pages long) was not even done to the vehicle. ** the manager is a thief and has no shame in stealing from customers by unethical means.

I ended up hiring an attorney to litigate the unsafe measures and stealing this establishment performed as I now have an unsafe vehicle with improper parts per two separate inspections by dealership and other mechanic. My attorney litigated with Pep Boys corporate office who was also verbally abusive. However, after 4 months, Pep Boys corporate attorney agreed upon a $1000 refund with my attorney. Upon rendering my address of where to send payment, no payment was ever received. (Years later). This company never planned to follow through because the fish rots from the head down and this thievery exists from a store in Florida all the way up to corporate offices. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had my car towed to Pep Boys because I had gone there before. After two days of diagnostic work they determined it was my motor and water pump. They ordered a new motor from up north which got snowed in. I NEVER got a call or update about my car. I had to call. Scott the manager avoided my calls all the while, they had to hire a SUBLET mechanic to do the work. After a week I got a quote 464.00 after warranty pay out. Another week passes still no updates, turns out they needed more parts, 23 days later I get the call the car is ready. Total ticket payout 741.00 for "taxes". I'm still waiting for a print out of the "real" charges. WORST SERVICE EVER!!! The star was only marked because it wouldn't let me submit without one...

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Ryan our service advisor was great. We got an oil change and brakes done today and he guided us throughout the whole process. Ryan was very professional, respectable, and knowledgeable. I need new tires soon so Ryan took time and went over what I will need and how much.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I took my car to the Pep Boys in Houston location on Louetta and asked if they could check the air in my tires. The Manager went out and, I'm guessing, to tell the technicians to check my tires. I waited and waited for over 15 minutes and they never looked my way. I was standing by my car waiting for assistance. I figured they were not interested in my business so I left. I actually should thank them. I went right down the street to Discount Tires. They were courteous, punctual and even took the time to find a nail in my tire. So thank you Pep Boys for allowing me to take my car to a real professional venue. I promise you will never see me at a Pep Boys again for anything!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had really bad experience at the Pep Boys when I went there for service. I was overcharged for labor. I have reached at the store around 5.35pm they did not start working on my car until 6.30pm. They gave me my car fixed at 8.15pm but they charged me for 4 hours of labor. They did not even worked for not more than 2 hours on my car. Without my permission he called Lyft to send me home. He charged me before he started working on my car.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Friday February 8th at 4 pm I dropped off my 2016 Jeep Cherokee for a simple wheel alignment and rotation. I wanted this because I had spent $800 a year ago on new tires for this car from Pep Boys and just wanted the suggested maintenance done to them. They said the car would be ready by Saturday but I was going out of town so I told them I’d be picking it up Sunday morning. Sunday February 10th I walked into the Pep Boys to get my car after nobody returned my call on the phone asking about my car. When I got there they said they forgot to do the service on my car and that it would be done in 30 minutes and it was 1:30 pm at the time. I was pretty mad at this point considering having to wait when I left it for 2 days ago so I decided to watch them do everything just to make sure nothing weird was going on.

Soon after my car was driven onto a lift and then was left there to sit for 10 mins. My car was then taken off the lift after not being raised up or anything done to it at all. Knowing that it's not uncommon to get scammed at car places I checked the tread on the tires prior to leaving the car. The service was awful and a little shady so I checked my tires to see if they had been rotated and they hadn’t been. I told the guy as he was trying to ring me up and he then froze up and told me they had forgot. Knowing that he was lying I started to question if they had aligned the tires. Even so I told the guy I thought they were lying because they never lifted the car off the ground or even put the alignment panels on the wheels at all. They claimed they did it but told me they would redo everything and credit me for everything.

Keep in mind they were straight up lying to my face because I watched them do everything in the waiting room which has a viewing window. This was an obvious scam being run. They are acting like they are doing rotations and alignments but aren’t doing anything at all. I spend at total of 3 hours today at Pep Boys when I was only supposed to be there for 2 mins. This cost me time making money and who knows how many people have been scammed because I just got lucky and caught it. This is very unlawful and if needed I will get an attorney involved. Hopefully you decide to fire these employees for their lying to customers and scamming them. The ratings for this place online are already awful enough. Just go investigate yourself. Just try and bring your car to this place and you’ll see what I mean.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I take of my car well. Never had a problem. I go in for new wheels. They have to realign the wheels. They use a rubber hammer. 1 week later my compressor for my ac dies. The spinning wheel on it is wobbly. It's located on the bottom of the engine. I didn't hit nothing for it to become wobbly. Went back. I need a new one. Costs and labor over 1k. Not long after. I went in for new brakes. "You need new rotors." "Just brakes for now." "You need them now." "It's for your safety or we can't do it." So 'cause of finances they did the back rotors and brakes 'cause some life left in the front. They also did an inspection WHICH TURNED OUT FINE? Not long after I'm going in reverse and there's this crunching sound. 'Cause I just paying off a sum I had to hold off so in 2 weeks' time. The sound was from crunching to squeaking to the sound of a tire rubbing.

Mostly only when I pull out. Or after the long drive. When I park. So I started looking up all possibilities. Couldn't be the transmission fluid. I did need new fluid. So on my own I changed it. The car seemed better. But it turned out the sound was just taking some time off so again I kept looking it up and it showed it could come from after new brakes and rotors. So now I have to go back. I use their Synchrony card. Which a day after I let them know about it but it was a busy day and said I'll come back on the weekend. Shockingly my limit was raised. So I bring it in and tell them the noise coming from the back. Remember I passed inspection. I also needed brake fluid. Coolant. Oil change. Fan belt change after giving ok. They bring me into the garage. "It's not the back. You need new brakes and rotors in the front." So I spend all day there.

I see the guy talking low to the manager. Sound like something not working. I said, "Hi. That's my car. What's not working." "All is fine." I need another bottle of oil. It takes 7 bottles. I'm like, "What." My car always and only takes 6. Before he gets upset. "You're the chef." Meaning just like a chef you don't want someone mess with your food. So I go with him and say, "There it goes." None points to something else. I'm like. "What's that." REGULAR OIL. "What. My car takes synthetic." "Your car told me it takes regular." Huh I have no option I ever seen. My manual and etc. Of all times was always synthetic. So. They had to drain the wrong oil which you know leftovers are still on the walls inside. It gets worse hold on. Well all is down. They pull it out. And it's crunching more than before the sound. He drives it around. Can't figure where it's from.

Now it sounds like by the front tire. They put it on the lift. And the guy starts grabbing parts and shaking them. Forgot the name. The long pole in the middle that turns when you drive. Well grabbing and shaking on that. After a while. He says it's this box. Or the pole right where it enters. It's the transfer case. And it's making even more noise. "Oh we don't know about that here. You need to go somewhere else." Now I have a long ride home and it's crunching the whole time. That I'm praying I'll make it home. They charged me $903. Which filled up my card again. I'm screwed. I go to Ford which is my car and had to ask about their card. The people who do that ain't there on Saturday. Called my bank to increase my credit. It worked. They had to changed the case for a new one. If you catch the problem early. Sometimes you just need new fluid.

But after Pep Boys touched it. Was done. $1800. Also Pep Boys didn't notice there was a leak in my front wheel suspension. So I emailed the head office and they made a case which I didn't know much. I was like, "I'm not going to sue." 'Cause it's hard to win against garages. That's more money. Well they said the shop has 48 hrs to contact me which he did. "How can we help you. Come to the shop. See what we can do." I'm like, "I'm not bringing my car there again." They didn't know what the problem was and how to fix it. He suppose to look into it further of the cameras. "But what can we do for you." I said, "Lower my card." "I'll see what I can do." Never hear from him in a week. I texted him 'cause he called in the morning and I knew less which now is their insurance suppose to pay for what they did wrong.

So the text is in detail and common sense 'cause the cams are above the cars while they're under. Just as you read this whole thing. Common sense will tell you. No response so I did the email again. Their heads will look into it. And now it's been a week again. Look the workers take orders so they're all doing what the boss wants. Again. No problems till I went there. I left Ford with car almost like new again. Have to go back for suspension 'cause of money. Avoid them at least that store at all cost. ** I'm happy then upset again I backed up to this when it asked to show a receipt. Was happy 'cause when you wait. They give you papers what they're doing and what you ask for.

Then they give you a new receipt. There's says I mention a noise coming from the transfer case when mine said a noise from the back wheels. I was ecstatic I had even more proof. Stupid me said if they need it. He took a page. The one where I mention the noise from the wheels which was the whole reason. I'm not the mechanic. Not only they took that paper. From me looking for it I see even more bs. It says congratulations. I have made a smart decision to protect myself from future labor costs. It says I purchased a labor extended warranty it's on the back page. But it's not on the receipt. Oh it's on. It's like they're use to this. So prepared. Omg!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

During the polar vortex, my daughter's car wouldn't start. She is away from home as a full time college student. She took her car, which wouldn't start without a jump, to Pep Boys Bloomington In. They said she needed a new battery and a new alternator- $500. After getting it on the lift to repair the alternator, they said the struts just fell out due to corrosion- non drivable- Now the fix, $1500. Just 3 years ago the front suspension was fixed when we had recall work done at the Hyundai dealership.

Unbeknownst to Pep Boys, My husband, who is a top fuel dragster mechanic and , drove 200 miles to look at the car. The struts were fine- although they looked us in the eye saying it couldn't be driven. We drove the car off the lot and took it to a mechanic friend with a lift -we needed one to look at the struts and we needed the machine to check the alternator and battery. The battery was fine, the alternator was fine and the struts were still intact. It is almost like they were preying upon an out of town student. Thank heavens we drove there before we authorized the repairs on things that didn't even need repaired! Thank heavens my husband is a mechanic- And we had the time to drive the miles to check it out! We would have been out $1500 in repairs that weren't needed!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I placed and online order for 4 new tires with installation. Website stated tires could be available in store in 3 days. I made an appointment for 4 days later, and took a day off from work. When I arrived at the location, I was asked by the counter clerk if I was called that my tires were in. I said no, and was told that it would take 3 days and that I was allowed to make an installation appointment for that time. He just shrugged and said “We don’t get shipments in until Friday, so you have to wait until we call you.” I explained that I wasted a vacation day at work and he obviously didn’t care.

I reached out to Pep Boys' customer service, and was promised “Senior Management” would reach out to me by phone within 48 hours. That of course didn’t happen. This morning, I received an email that my order was canceled because I did not show up for my appointment. I reached back to customer service, and was told that the regional manager logged in the system that he tried to call me yesterday at 3:00. I received no call or message. I was told I would receive a call today. Still waiting. Pep Boys is obviously a joke of a company not interested in business, whose senior managers make a practice of lying to corporate about client complaints. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I went to Pep Boys in Santa Fe, NM to have my driver's side low-beam light bulb replaced. I knew I could have probably fixed the blown out bulb myself, but it was on my driver's side and I would have to remove my car's battery to get to it. I am well aware of Pep Boys' bad reputation, but I stupidly thought "it's just a little light bulb, a quick fix, they can't mess that up, can they?". My mistake! They definitely can!

When I took my car in, the only problem was the blown out driver's side low beam, both my high-beams/DRLs worked and my passenger side low-beam still worked. I dropped my car off and waited, after about 45 minutes the mechanic (I really hate calling him this, because he really isn't one) brought my key back and said it was done. He also told me that he "had trouble getting it in because whoever had installed the bulb last had forced it in and 'broken' the connector the bulb goes into, but not to worry because he got it in". I thanked him, paid and went to my car to leave. I tested my lights and my driver's side low beam was still out.

I went back inside and got him, he came out and tried forcing the bulb in and told me "see this is what I'm talking about, the bulb is supposed to click into place, but whoever installed it last broke the connector, but don't worry it's actually a quick fix." I asked him if he could replace the connector for me and he said he couldn't do it at the shop for me because "Pep Boys' mechanics are licensed to do electricals (what the heck are lightbulbs btw??) but that he can do it for me under the table on his day off". I stupidly agree, thinking I don't have much of a choice and that this part needs to be replaced.

I drive off and notice that my DRL indicator is lit up on my dashboard. I get out and see that both my daylight running lights are now out, once it gets dark I notice that both my brights are now out as well. I am now driving with literally only one light, just my passenger-side low-beam, all other lights (that had all worked fine before the visit) are now out.

I take my car to a real mechanic thinking it might be a blown fuse or something, but no, fuses are fine. Actually the connector is fine too. The only real problem is that the guy at Pep Boys is a big, shady idiot! He had removed the bulb from the driver's side bright/DRL (which was fine when I took it there and did not need to be replaced) and was trying to force the bulb that belonged in the low-beam socket into the high-beam socket and saying that the socket/connector was broken when it didn't fit (and that I needed to pay him under the table to fix it). He hadn't actually even touched the low-beam light which was the original one that needed to be fixed and he had removed a bulb from the high-beam which actually didn't need it!

Pep Boys is shady AF! I have no clue if he did it on purpose so I'd spend more money with him under the table or genuinely is a complete idiot and had no idea what he was doing. But the bottom line is, they didn't fix the original problem I had, they created a new one, and most importantly they put me in a REALLY dangerous position by sending me away with almost NO headlights. I need to go back in to get a refund, but am preparing myself, because I am expecting poor customer service and a fight when I do :(

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Set appointment and Ordered brand new tires. Call early Morning on 01/21/2019 and set appointment and Ordered NewsTires for 9 am on 01/22/2019. Get there at 845 am to find out there is no tires and NO Appointment. Not Happy at all. Left there and went to American Tire and got a better Tire and Price. Was in and out in 45 mins. Service Guy @ Pep Boys said he would call me @ 1030am. Still no phone call. Great job Pep Boys. Lost a sale for 600.00. # I will come back to this Pep Boys Store because of: I do not plan to come back to this store. # I was in store for: Retail Purchase, Alignments, Tire Services, Oil changes, Other

✘ No, I do not recommend this store.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have placed an order online for 2 tires that showed available for shipping to the nearest Pep Boys store. Paid for and got confirmation email with arrival date that was perfect. No tires that day or next day or day after. Spend an hour on the phone to find out that they are not available and the best they can do for me is 10% discount on twice as expensive tires that I have purchased originally. In the meantime I had to rent a car to get to work because I have no tire on my car and will have to do the same tomorrow. I can't get anything done after work today. They had no problem taking my payment and holding it for 4 days, but not even an email to let me know my product wasnt available.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Went to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY on Saturday, January 12, 2019 to get annual NY State Inspection. They call to tell me 3rd brake light is out, part is $52 plus an hour of labor to install. They don't have part but can get it. I ask if it's possibly the fuse. They say no. I decline the service and will find/fix the part myself. No local car parts place seems to stock it so I order from Amazon for $26. It arrives that Monday and I install it after I get home from work. But... the new light doesn't work. So after about an hour troubleshooting in 24 degree cold at night, reviewing shop manuals and online forums, I go look at the fuse box.

Fuses are located in the engine department in a covered closed black box. To my shock, the fuse operating the 3rd brake light is MISSING!!! Someone at Pep Boys removed the fuse and tried to defraud me into paying $150+ to re-insert the fuse... WTF!!! I complain the next day to the Store Manager. He agrees that the fuse operates the brake light and that fuses can't come loose and fall out on their own. He apologizes and offers me a free oil change. I complain to Pep Boys corporate and they direct me to the Store Manager. I went there for years and advocated their services. Buyer beware, don't go to Pep Boys in Hicksville, NY. Pep Boys = fraud. I submitted a complaint to the Nassau Count District Attorney in NY. I have more filings to go with different agencies but figure I spread the word. Very disappointed!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

What is disturbing is that the mechanic at Pep Boys Laurel, Store #72, 301-498-1333, took off essential parts, breaking them so they were no longer usable, before checking their stock for replacement parts. They discovered they did not have the parts in stock only after the original lugs and stems were already broken. They could not put the tires on without the lug nuts to secure them but they did just that anyway and did not inform me when I drove off that three lug nuts were missing on the rear tires. Brought car in at 12:30; car not ready until after 5 pm because mechanic did not tell front desk that vehicle was "ready" 30 minutes earlier. Installation cost increased from $58 to $148. Must go back on Monday because was given misinformation that mechanics are on duty on Sunday. They are not. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR CAR OR YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I recently brought my car into Pep Boys for an alignment. It came back with the steering wheel to one side and the car not aligned! I brought it back and they "re-aligned" it again. They even gave me the graph of what was wrong and it was the exact problem the first time! I finally brought it to my dealer where they fixed it properly. I will NEVER return to Pep Boys for car work again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So this has to be broken down into parts so that I can be as clear as possible in warning other people who might find themselves in a similar situation that I was in. To set things up, my check engine light came on and my vehicle started a slight shudder which got progressively worse as I searched for a mechanic to run a diagnostic under the hood. This was on a Saturday at about 3 o’clock. Pep Boys was the only place who still had techs on hand to do what I needed; this is about the only good thing I can say from this entire experience. It was all downhill from there.

They stated it could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours to figure out the problem so they told me I could wait or they would call me a lift. I opted for the ride as I stated earlier this visit was born out of desperation not any sense of trust or faith. I saw what they did to my dad when he got his inspection done two years back and $2,000 later. And that says nothing compared to the poor woman who had been in the waiting area at the same time as us back then, crying on her phone to someone who had to pick her up…

I got back to my house and it was at this point my wife and I started playing the waiting game. Waiting for some kind of news as to how the coming week would play out with our commute to our jobs. Many of you will probably be able to relate to that sense of dread as you have only one car between you. Even if you have two it is still a drastic upset to the routine as you now have to alter your time to carpool. Well our news came about three hours later to the tune of $1,200. One ignition coil and gasket, plus all six spark plugs needed to be replaced they told me. When asked for a breakdown they informed me that the single coil would be upwards of $145 plus another $29 for the gasket alone. Lord knows what they thought 6 spark plugs should cost.

Now that I knew what they thought the problem was, I can say I made these exact repairs not two years previous. It’s an easy to moderate job even for a DIY’er like me. And the parts can be found online (all six coils and plugs) for less than a hundred. So of course my question is where did they get the other $1,100 from? Nice try Pep Boys. Think about how many people they do this to and you start to get the idea how they became a billion dollar company as of the late 90’s.

I have since ordered the parts myself and paid those crooks their $95 for just a heap of bad news, in every sense of the word. Might take me three or four hours but it will be so much more worth it than being unable to feed my family. “The work needs to be done,” was all they kept saying without an ounce of a conscience, as if I was holding out on them with their ‘protection money’. How do they expect people to pay this when they simply do not have it? Why apply for their credit card of course so they can charge you even more in interest. I have a better idea now what that poor woman must have been going through. Now even if the parts I ordered don’t last quite as long as their solid gold spark plugs there is no way it’s worth 12x what I picked them up for.

Now if your vehicle is under warranty, great! But otherwise save yourselves the trouble and find a small outfit where you can actually get to know the owner and the mechanic’s. Use the routine oil change/tire rotations as the opportunities to find one. It will allow you to make the most educated decisions when it comes to the care of your vehicle. They offer guarantees just like the big guys but they have to look you in the eye when they deal with you. You don’t know how many people are taking advantage of you when it comes to a large outfit like Pep Boys. And we never will. Don’t be a piece of their profits, enough said.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went into the Waldorf Pep Boys tire center on November 6, 2018 to have 4 tires installed. Later that day at home noticed two tires were installed backward, tire clearly marked this side out. In addition one of the tires installed correct side out was not installed properly at valve stem location. I contacted Pep Boys by phone and email. A Mr. Jason ** assured me it would be looked into on November 7. Three weeks later no one contacted me so I took the car back and spent another 3 hours of my time having the tires reinstalled correctly. I contacted Mr. ** several times over the next month and a half and all he ever did was tell me he talked to the store. Would not say anything else or DO ANYTHING to amend for the lost of my time.

Pep Boys expert review by Lauren Fix

Pep Boys started in Philadelphia in 1921 when four friends started a business to meet the growing demand for automobile parts. Almost 25 years later, the company opened its first service center. Today, they have over 800 locations across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

• Sales: Customers can visit Pep Boys’ website or visit a store to pick up weekly and monthly ads to see the sale prices for items and services. They can also print coupons to use in the store.

• Rewards program: Pep Boys’ free reward program gives members some free services and a variety of discounted services, including reduced-fee towing to a Pep Boys location. Members earn points on every purchase they make at Pep Boys, which can be spent of future services or products.

• Online resources: Those interested in DIY car maintenance can visit Pep Boys’ website to learn about how to buy a variety of parts for their vehicles, how to perform repairs themselves and how to determine what is wrong with their car.

• Price match: Pep Boys will match the advertised price of any item sold by or similar service performed by a competitor.

• Online scheduling: Customers can schedule a service center appointment online. Same day appointments are often available.

• Best for: Pep Boys offers products and services to meet most consumers’ needs, whether they want to perform their own vehicle maintenance or have a professional do it.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Pep Boys Company Information