2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.77/5

The Nissan Pathfinder is a mid-size SUV. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Nissan Pathfinder Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Pathfinder?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Pathfinder?

Original review: July 14, 2020

3 year old vehicle (2017 Pathfinder) with just over 60K kms, first time use of A/C this year and not working, rear A/C lines rusted and leaking. $150 diagnostic charge and $1,600 to fix, apparently, according to the dealer, the new vehicle and/or remaining 5 yr warranty will not cover the problem. Disappointed in the customer service and response. Vehicle needed new brakes after only 2 years with premature rusting and wear and was also not covered by warranty, had to maintain a basically brand new vehicle at $1,200 out of pocket.

New tires were needed under 50K, another $1,000 and another premature nightmare. Now these A/C lines are prematurely rusting and leaking with no coverage, to be honest I was expecting more from Nissan including better quality of materials and customer service. It appears that the materials are designed to wear and tear quickly and/or fail right around the warranty period expiry. The rear A/C lines corroding and leaking might actually be a design flaw, it's an issue that appears to frequently occur on more than just this Nissan model but Nissan will of course never admit to that. Why would Nissan worry or care about Freon entering our atmosphere due to their engineering/design??? Why would they ever be responsible or want to fix it??? Pathetic.

I wonder what's next, never thought of Nissan as a lemon but this Pathfinder just keeps on finding new problems. A/C should not fail, rust and require $1,600 of wear and tear maintenance on a 3 years old vehicle driven under normal conditions which is still within the 5 yr warranty period. In this Nissan 'Fail' summary, Nissan and customer service chooses to ignore premature corrosion of the A/C rear lines on the vehicle (a common flaw/issue on multiple Nissan models based on Internet complaints) leaving the owners to pay the bill for with no support from Nissan. Very disappointing,.. 3 year old vehicle with 63k km with premature corrosion issues and no coverage. Poor quality and even poorer customer service. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - STAY AWAY FROM NISSAN! Never again…

Original review: June 24, 2020

35K miles and already a 02 sensor failed. Bank 1 sensor 2 so stupid located that even the NISSAN folks want more than $1,000 to remove. $1000 bucks to replace a O2 sensor of pure labor costs. It is absolutely insane. What a piece of junk this car is. I will never buy a NISSAN again. NEVER AGAIN.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

My wife’s 2017 Pathfinder with less than 35k miles needs new subframe bushings and the driver seat climate control module went out. Nissan refused to cover it as the warranty conveniently expired 2 months ago. I would not call 4K dollars “innovation that excites!” SMH.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

In March 2018 I bought used Nissan Pathfinder 2015. At that time this vehicle had 63,000 km on it. I own this vehicle for 1.5 years. During this time total repair costs were $6,280:

- March 2018: $180 – replaced drive belt
    - May 2018: $3,500 – replaced AC evaporator. There was only one OEM evaporator in Canada. When it was brought and installed, it turned to be defective. After that another aftermarket AC evaporator was installed instead.
    - June 2018: drive belt was replaced again
    - September 2018: radiator fan needs to be replaced. Fixing costs were just over $1000.

- August 2019: HVAC block started leaking. Fixing cost is $1,600.

I contacted Nissan in Canada and Japan. Nissan Canada replied that maintenance is key to maintain reliability. Sure, malfunctioned AC evaporator, defective radiator fan, leaking HVAC block – all of them require a lot maintenance. I am not sure why Nissan Canada lies like that. Nissan Japan offered a $100 gas card. Sure, $100 gas is going to help a lot with repair cost of $6,280. I asked Nissan to recognize this vehicle defective, but Nissan refused to do this. So, it means that this is normal Nissan quality. You decide if you are interested in such “quality”.

I also checked how customers are satisfied with Nissan Pathfinder on Consumer Report:

2017: 3 out of 5 (when I bought my 2015, it also had higher rating – it decrease over the time)
    2016: 2 out of 5
    2015: 1 out of 5
    2014: 1 out of 5

2013: 2 out of 5

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder platinum and it is garbage. I hate myself for buying it. The features are great, but the quality is abysmal. Starting with the paint, it has never been damaged and I have 3 spots on doors where it is rusting out from under the paint mid panels. The paint guy said they over welded the stuff on the inside of the door and caused the metal to fail. I have replaced both visors because the hinge broke (please note dealership wanted $350 per). I have had to replace all of the door handles (all broke). The motor of the back hatch stopped working, the engine cooling fan bearing went bad. The driver's side seat motor went bad, the second row seat track stripped out of the floor. There is a mystery rattle from all doors (I have taken then apart and re sealed all the wires but it's still in one). All plastic covers fall off (everything) so I just glued them on.

The driver's seat leather is cracking and the dome light in the back just stopped working (I am emotionally broken and haven't fixed it yet). Oh and for some reason the antenna kept disappearing. I kept buying the Nissan ones to replace it, but finally bought some weird one and it has stayed on ever since. I hate it, but still owe about what it is worth so have to keep it another year. Now it has started this weird thing where the overdrive turns off an on randomly (no I am not hitting the button) and then when you press the gas peddle it does not go, you have to take your foot off for a few and then press it again and it will work.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The Nissan Pathfinder has a tinny feel about it. A North American family can outgrow it in no time at all. It was not intended to be driven north of the 49th parallel. The heating system in the back is inadequate the third row seating has no heat at all. Overpriced oversized 5 seater. The third row seating is trunk space. The all-wheel-drive system started acting up the third year of ownership. Will never buy another one.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

2017 Pathfinder needs new engine. I purchased a used Pathfinder which at 50K miles started having problems. Had to replace the radiator fan. It started puffing smoke at startup and the check engine light came on. The dealer service department says that it needs a replacement engine. The powertrain warranty is not being honored because according to them there appears to be a lack of proper maintenance by the prior owner. Unfortunately Carvana could not provide me with the maintenance records which are required before Nissan will honor the powertrain warranty. It looks like I have to pay over 10K dollars for a new engine.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

In June 2018 I purchased a 2015 Pathfinder as well as a warranty for it. At the beginning of 2019 the air conditioning fan was knocking on the shroud so I took it to the dealership to get fixed. I got the run around from the service dept, had to rent a vehicle as the had no "loaners" available and then I had to pay a $250 deductible. A few days after the repair was done, I received a call from "Chelsea at Nissan Consumer Affairs." She was following up on the parts and service work recently done on my Pathfinder. I explained how unhappy I was with the service and personnel. She immediately offered me a $250 Nissan gift card.

After nine months and two follow up calls, where I actually spoke to Chelsea again, I still have not received even $1 towards the promised $250. I have now given up on pursuing it cuz I cant get any answer to my call attempts. Why promise something that is only going to result in not being fulfilled? I feel this whole scenario has been very unprofessional and should have either been handled as promised or dont bother even following up on service calls.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Used to have a Nissan Pathfinder 1988. Was very dependable car. Never had a problem with it. Had it for over 12 years. The price was right when I purchased it. Had over 180,000 miles on it. Held up during the winter months especially in the snow.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

In September 2019 I discovered rust below the rear hatch window of my 2017 Pathfinder (Platinum edition) just below the rubber gasket. I brought this to the dealer's attention (Service Dept at Stanhope Nissan, NJ). They took pictures and submitted them to the regional Rep. After several follow-ups and more than a month later of no results I stopped in to speak with Jamie ** the Parts & Service Director only to find out the repair was denied, but, that I'm still covered for rust 10yrs/10k miles. He gave me a ph# to Nissan Consumer Affairs (1-800-NISSAN1) to followup.

I contacted NCA and was assigned Case# ** and was told that someone from Tennessee (615 area code) would contact me within 24 hours, which they did, only to be told that Nissan does not cover rust and that they will NOTHING to remedy this... The rep seemed to take pleasure in telling me this. :( Totally UNACCEPTABLE, this Pathfinder (Platinum) is only 2 years old. It shouldn't be rusting and Nissan should stand behind their vehicles. Unfortunately, we have 2 Nissans, the other a 2016 Rogue, but I can honestly say this to the company NISSAN - Shame On You. YOU HAVE LOST MY RESPECT AND BUSINESS ... FOREVER!! I have posted this on EVERY available site. -dp-

Nissan Pathfinder Company Information