Nissan Pathfinder

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am very disappointed about the way my car is operating. My sales experience at East Nissan in Charlotte, NC was great. My sales representative, Ronald **, made sure I had an excellent purchasing experience. It's the car itself. First it was a headlight. Got it fixed. A few weeks later, the other one. Meanwhile... I had been questioning my park lights working and had been assured by service staff that they were indeed working. They lied. My lights were not working. After numerous recalls, and parts not available to repair, I went in for a simple oil change and was told that I needed $1500 (rotors and brakes) worth of work done to my car. Now... I purchased my car in 2013, straight off the showroom floor... I was in love. That love soon dissolved because it was always one thing after another. So... I paid to have the $1500 worth of work done...

Since then, my car has not run properly to me. My wheels squeak, the front right tire feels like I am running over something constantly, the door seals keep coming off and one has a hole in it. When I put my car in gear, it sometimes stuck and I have to stay in place before it will move as directed. Sun visors... Oh yeah, they had to be replaced because they began to just fall anytime they wanted to while I was driving... Nissan did replace but they wanted me to pay initially... I refused. I have grown to dislike my car quite a bit. I also considered trading my Pathfinder... At the dealership I was told my car was upside down... but the bank had just told me that I had plenty of equity and worth in my vehicle now... I'm really confused and even more upset. You have hurt my feelings tremendously Nissan.

My 2008 Nissan Pathfinder has been having heating issues for about 2 years and no one could figure out why. Turns out there was slow leak in the radiator. Once my mechanic found the leak, we changed the radiator, hoses, etc. $1100 worth of work. My mechanic said he had to flush the transmission 3 times to get the coolant out but he was still not sure if the transmission would make it or not. Needless to say, 2 days later my car stopped working at a stoplight. It just would not move. Now I need a new transmission.

I just assumed I had the worst luck in the world but when my mechanic said he was having a hard time finding a used transmission I was like, "Wait a minute?? Out of all the Pathfinders out there, none of them got totaled and still had a good transmission in it??" I started to do some research and found out about the lawsuit and that thousands of other people have been in my exact situation. I never received a letter and at this time am 13,000 miles over the extended warranty they issued to all Nissans between years 2005-2010. How am I supposed to know about any of this without my car dealer notifying me?

I bought the car from Nissan, they have my information and I can prove the problem started within warranty. I have spoke with several people from Nissan North America to no avail. Not even a little compassion was given. Just a "Nope, can't help you." So I spent well over $30,000 for a car that only lasted a little over 100,000 miles. That not only seems outrageous but the fact that over 380,000 other Nissans had the same, exact issue and all they were made to do was extend our warranty makes me furious. Even if this would have happened in warranty I would still be liable for at least half the cost.

Since when did this county start letting big companies take advantage of the little people? Not only did they try to deny and cover it up, but when they were found out, they received a slap on the wrist. My local Nissan dealer was no better so I will never buy a Nissan or anything affiliated with Nissan ever again and warn everyone I know not to either. I still owe on my car so I will be spending another 6 grand at least to get it back into working order so I do not lose me any more money than I already have.

Bought '13 Pathfinder in 2015 with 30k miles. Within 3 days had it taken to Nissan for jumping/lurching and airbag light on passenger side. They did a software update to the transmission and did nothing about the light as it was intermittent. Everything is good until 88k miles. Had oil changed and mechanic (close family friend) said oil looked extremely bad which didn't make sense as he was the person who had changed our oil every 4-5k miles.

Took it to shop as it started smoking and was told it would need a new engine as the piston rings had gone bad and repair cost more than replacement. Ok no worries. I thought it stinks but that's what warranties are for. Well we got the car back and 3 days later the check engine light comes back on and now my brakes are failing. As well as needing a new alternator, new drivers side sunvisor, now I get a recall notice. Take it to Nissan again to be told I need a new transmission due to the recall. Now, luckily this has all been covered under warranty for me, but this does not seem to be the case for most people.

I have owned four other Nissans this being my fifth, and they were all great cars. It saddens me deeply to see a company this large using their collective size and clout to treat their customers this way. The 2013-2014 Nissan Pathfinders should have all been taken off the road by now due to the many safety and mechanical issues they have. I cannot see myself purchasing another Nissan after the reliability of this vehicle. I, like many others, pay well over 500$ a month for our cars and can't afford to keep fixing it when my warranty does run out. If you are considering purchasing a Nissan, I would advise to buy brand new and purchase the most comprehensive warranty you can get as you will need it. If not you will be left waiting for countless hours at dealerships and shops for your vehicle. Again, I am a die hard Nissan fan here but am afraid I will have to consider purchasing a different brand as soon as I am able.

2017 Pathfinder - Seat warmer has melted the back of my coat made of manmade leather materials. Heater set toward the floor to warm my feet melted the entire right side of my right boot also made of manmade leather material. Both items I have had for several years and worn with previous vehicles during the winter while using a heated seat and heater. I am aghast and warn every woman before considering her winter wardrobe when driving this vehicle.

I bought my vehicle 2 1/2 years with 23000 miles on it as a program car from the dealership thinking I was getting a great deal. Two weeks ago I go to start my 2014 Pathfinder and the screen pops up Infinity. I'm like okay that's weird. I drive down the road and turn on my heat and it is at full blast at 90 degrees and you can't turn it down. The knobs just stopped working... so this now means I have no air conditioning!!!

Took it to my local dealership, they have never seen this, past the 36,000 mile warranty so now I have to pay for it!! Not to mention my driver side visor broke and snapped on the inside and had to buy a clamp to hold it up so I can see to drive... Complained to Nissan and they say none of this is a recall and it's past my warranty. I am just ** out of luck!! I will never buy from Nissan again and will complain to everyone I can!!! I am a single mom working two jobs to have a nice car and home for my boys and then this happens. Had a 15 year Ford Explorer that I traded in and wished I had just kept it now!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

I received a recall from Nissan dealership. I am having this problem with my car since long time. I have visited Teddy Nissan at the Bronx in December 2016 two time and had my car problem to be fixed but it was never fixed. As per Teddy Nissan they can't find any problems but when I drive my car it shakes/ lurches. I also have called the Main Nissan customer service office and made complains of the problems that I am having and no one seems to help me. The lady who is handling my case at Nissan customer service in the main office her name is Anisa and my case number#**. Finally I took my car to Nissan of Yorktown heights on January 7th, 2017 and I got my car back on January 11, 2016. I was told by Joseph (mechanic) that they don't find any issue but I should drive my car about 100 miles more and see if the problem still appear I should bring it back to them.

I still have the same problems and it's getting worse day by day. After third visit to two different Nissan Dealership (Teddy Nissan and Yorktown Nissan) I have requested Anisa to email me a copy of the recent update from their file and she refused to provide me any information. Also I was told by Ms. ** from Nissan customer service that even if my car miles goes over the guaranteed miles they (Nissan) will still fix my car because I have been going back and forth to them with the same issue several times and it's still not fixed. January 12, 2017 my fourth visit to Nissan at Yorktown, Mr. Joseph drove my car and experienced the same problem (Transmission Problem) that I am facing but Nissan telling me there is no problem as per their computer.

I am looking forward to have Nissan to fix the problem that I am having on my car. Every mechanic I take my car to, they tell me it is a problem with the car's transmission but the Nissan tells me they can't find any issue. I am getting the runaround and not being able to work. It would be very appreciated if my car gets fixed soon. Otherwise I am never going purchase any merchandise from Nissan or never going to recommend to my friends and family to ever purchase any of Nissan merchandise. I am not happy with the types of service I am getting from Nissan.

My 2010 Pathfinder has had issues since purchased brand new. Windows don't roll up and down properly, one of the back seats has never folded up, Bluetooth has never worked properly, steering has always vibrated, Horn doesn't work and the list goes on and on and on. Dealership always seems to cause more problems but never fixes anything. I will never, ever even consider purchasing another Nissan of any type.

Bluetooth starting malfunctioning so brought the 2010 Pathfinder with 65k miles to 2 Nissan dealerships who could not identify correction needed. Now, all buttons on the left do not work and Nissan still cannot figure out how to fix this. Also, the steering column is locking. Prevented the car from starting even with the key fob. Vehicle is now over warranty and Customer Affairs will not do anything to assist. Anyone else having these problems?

Believing it was the more sustainable thing to do, I took care of my Pathfinder and was prepared to drive it another 50,000 to 100,000 miles. It currently has 116,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the fact that I just had to put $5,000 into the car for the intermix issue and another $1,000 for a new fuel pump is unbelievable. Not so much the fuel pump, but the radiator and transmission issue were a known problem to Nissan and to my dealer. So every time I went to the dealership, there was an opportunity to save me that money, but they said nothing. Even in 2012, when the class action suit was settled, and my car had 70,000 miles on it, I was not told anything about this. I am disgusted by the fact that Nissan has been allowed to get away with a.) knowing this was a huge design flaw and failure, and b.) not taking care of its customers. Loyal customers who will never buy another Nissan.

My Pathfinder is currently at the dealership awaiting replacement of the transmission. We purchased this vehicle in 2015 with only 46,500 miles on it. As I was driving last week I nearly rear ended a car because my Pathfinder wouldn't stop. I called the dealer directly and was told to bring it in immediately, which I did the next day. I was informed that the Transmission had just been replaced at 46,000 miles (basically when I bought it) and here we are at 62,000 miles and I need to replace the transmission again. I had no clue of any Class action lawsuit or any issue with the CVT until I began to dig and research the issues. I thankfully am covered by my warranty and it's being replaced. BUT, how do I continue to own a vehicle with continuous transmission issues?

This is our family vehicle and my kids are transported to daycare and school daily, it truly scares the life out of me knowing something bad can happen. What safety net do I have in the near future should this happen again? I read that Nissan offered repair of the CVT once, but hey this is already the second time. I don't want another Nissan period!!!

I bought my Pathfinder in Nov 2013. Within 2 weeks the transmission started to shake really hard between 20-30 mph. I took the car back to the dealer as it should not be doing that on a brand new car. Nissan told me the diagnostic tests didn't show I have a problem. They couldn't replicate the issue. I explained that didn't make a difference to me as the vehicle shakes. I took the car back to Nissan at least 4 or 5 times and each time they told me there was no issues with my vehicle, they reset the computer and sent me on my way. Now after the warranty is up they say I have a transmission issue. Really! I have had a transmission issue the company seemed to ignore or pretend like it didn't exist since I bought the car. Now they want to devalue a trade in or charge me to fix it. Nissan was fully aware of the transmission problems and sold me that car. I am so disgusted with this company.

Nissan pathfinder 2007 transmission water damage. I bought this suv new. Always have taken it to nissan for service. They never told me that at 85000-90000 miles the transmission gets damaged due to a bad radiator. My car has 90000 and it happened to get damaged by water inside the transmission. They failed to disclose this problem with us. If told we would have changed the radiator. Now that we do research on this matter we find that thousands of pathfinder owners are going through the same problem.

I'm a owner of a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. This vehicle has major transmission issues. Vehicle shutters and jerks while driving 20 to 30 mph!! This vehicle needs to be recalled to fix this major problem to protect the safety of drivers.

My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder transmission issues started at 8k and after several trips to service department and expert mechanic inspection they finally acknowledged the problem and replaced the transmission. Shortly thereafter, shuddering, stalling and vibrating started again. After several trips. They are replacing the transmission again. Unfortunately, now I'm being told the replacement transmission they installed is also defective and they are now waiting for Nissan to approve another replacement. What 3 year old car with 40k miles needs transmission replaced 3 times. Car has been at dealership service department for two weeks now with no estimate for when it will be completed. Surely, this must qualify for lemon lawsuit/buyback. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is the worst car ever. Help.

On 06/16/2016 my wife called me to tell me that our 2006 Nissan Pathfinder vin#** would not go in reverse and lost power. I had our vehicle towed to AAMCO Total Car Care in Arnold, Missouri so they could look at our vehicle. I was told two days later that my transmission had gone out due to a leak from the radiator hose connected to the transmission leaking into the transmission. I was told by a certified mechanic that this is a common problem with the Nissan Pathfinders and that it would be an expensive fix to rebuild the transmission and replace the radiator. I paid 4,5010.70 for this repair on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder which has only 85,000 miles on it.

Now I would like to know if or why there is no recall on this vehicle for this very costly repair. I have read several reviews on this site and see that this seems to be a common problem with Nissan Pathfinders and I don't see where Nissan is taking any responsibility for this problem. I work too hard and don't have money for repairs like this and Nissan not take responsibility for this design flaw in the Nissan Pathfinder. I will send a copy of this complaint to my attorney, the BBB, my state senator and any other consumer agency willing to listen to this complaint about a common problem with the Nissan Pathfinder.

2,500 miles the transmission failed. Nissan replaced. (Known issue with '13 and '14) 30,000 miles and now it is losing antifreeze. (Wife has '10 Altima that started losing antifreeze at 70,000 appears to be consuming and not leaking)

I advise people to stay away from Nissan. I purchased a brand new Nissan Pathfinder. Little did I know that as I was driving away in what I thought was a vehicle I would own for many many years had defects that would soon cost me over $7000. Nissan knew even before I drove off their dealership lot that there was a problem with coolant leaking into the transmission. They also knew that their experiment with replacing the timing belts with timing chains was doomed to fail. Sure enough thousands of owners, including me, ended up having to fork over $7000 dollars to replace the transmission and the timing chains. A company that knowingly sells defective cars cannot be trusted ever again. Google problems with the 06 Nissan Pathfinder or go to https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_pathfinder.html

Transmission failed. Pathfinder had 81,000 miles. Still under warranty from class action suit. Nissan would not honor warranty because radiator had been replaced PRIOR to my purchase, unbeknownst to me. Had been in an accident prior to my purchase which was not disclosed by the Nissan dealership I purchased the car from. Told me tough luck. Know it's a mfg. error. Too bad. Nissan does not stand behind their products even if you have warranties. I also had certification on this car that was 1,000 miles over. They didn't care. I did my due diligence with this purchase. They had no recommendation except for me, a disabled senior, to write a $5,000 check and get it replaced myself. My mechanic was appalled as was I. It took 2 months to get this response. This company is unethical and dishonorable. I would never recommend anyone purchase a Nissan.

I went to Nissan to drop off my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder because my car was shaking while driving on the 60-70 mph speed at a stable speed. The first time it went fine. They asked me to stay for 30 minutes to wait for the technician to arrive so that they could do a test drive with me. I couldn't stay because I had to go to work, and they didn't tell ahead of time when I was scheduling my meeting. However, they replace the accelerator fluid for me on that day. I picked up my car the same day in the evening. I got a rental car the first time.

The second time I went there is 2 days after the first service (because of the weekend). The same issue didn't resolve. I made early appointment like the first time. While I was at the service desk, a second service guy came up (the one who helped me the first time). He started screaming at me saying that I should stay there for the technician to come and do a test drive with him. He was saying that there was nothing wrong with my car and I was wasting their money and time because of the rental car they were providing and the service that they were providing. I was so confused because if there weren't anything wrong with my car, how did they fixed something the first time. He was so loud and so angry at me and made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

I agreed to stayed for 30 minutes to wait for the technician to show up and do a test drive. I cried at the waiting area to my husband on the phone and said I would never come back to do the service again because I felt so insulted. Being screamed at in front of 3 other customers and 4 other service guys. 30 minutes later, he came up to me and said that the technician called off that day and sent me to the rental car department. They called later that day and told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and my husband went and pick up my car later on.

My car was and is still doing the same and it got worse. It is shaking while I’m doing any speed limit at a stable speed. It is shaking while I’m making a turn. Yesterday, after starting the car, when I shift to reverse, the car went forward. I shut off the car and started the car again, I put in drive and it went reverse. I shut off the car for a few more minutes and turned it back on, it went normal again. It is still shaking pretty badly while driving.

Me and my husband got this car because of my 6 months' unborn baby. I'm very concern about the safety while driving it nowadays, but i have to get to work every day with this car. I never wanted to go back there for the service because I'm so disappointed at them and I'm not going back there to be screamed at again. My husband doesn't have time in the morning to drop off the car. I am very frustrated at this moment.

Issue with audio auxiliary. Does not connect properly with iPhone. Does not recognize it. I asked Nissan and they do not clearly have an answer for it. Also issue with this car is it periodically gives a jolt when you take a reverse. Nissan dealership cannot find a problem.

I purchased the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder new in 2013. I have 60,000 miles and starting at 30,000 I had my transmission replaced, exhaust manifold replaced, rear differential replaced, two door handles (from the inside). I have a squealing whining noise that's constant from my power steering pump. Occasionally a shudder which I'm told is normal. Sometimes the passenger airbag turns off when I sit in it. Nissan says it's the way I sit in it. (I'm 132 pounds) and something squeaks in the back when I make turns. Need I say more? I purchased this car to last me well over 5 years. I'm in the process of trading this lemon in for a reliable car.

My husband and I bought a 2008 Pathfinder in 2010 used. We were happy with our purchase until a year ago. I had to replace a gas sensor that cost me $1600. The heat shield makes noise when the car idles. I had to change the driver's side joints. I recently went in to do a transmission flush and oil change and was told my radiator hose cracked and is leaking into the transmission. Dealer recommended replacing radiator and that cost me $1400. Car was working fine until last night when I was driving and the 4wd light came on, service engine light came on and SUV was sluggish when stepping on gas at a traffic light. Pulled over and turned off engine and now SUV won't start. Wonder how much it will cost me this time? Will never buy Nissan again.

My transmission started to slip at 90,000 miles. Found out the radiator leaks coolant into the transmission. Had to get the transmission rebuilt and radiator replaced for $3500. After two years, I still had no heat and no one could figure out why. Now, my Pathfinder constantly overheats. Flushing it does nothing, changed the radiator again, did nothing and also changed the thermostat with no help. I'm probably stupid to take this car to Nissan, but I can't see junking a car that is immaculate inside and out with only 100,000 miles on it. My family is struggling to pay our bills and now we may not have a car!! I don't even know what to do!? I will never consider buying a Nissan ever again!

Purchased Nissan 2013 Platinum Pathfinder, 1/13. June 2015 a recall on the transmission software was done. Now at 70,000 miles, I need a new transmission. 10,000 out of warranty. However, Nissan has placed extended warranty on the Altima and Rouge with same CVT transmission due to the same issues. Nissan needs to do the same on the Pathfinder as there are issues with them as well.

I got my Nissan Pathfinder 2015 on June 2015. 2 months later the car started to shake when I was 15 to 30 mph. I went to the dealer. They didn't find the problem. Went three times. The 4th time I was on my way and the transmission just broke in the middle of the highway. They want to put a new transmission but I just don't want the car anymore. I have kids and I think the car is very dangerous. Please help.

We purchased the 2013 Pathfinder new in 2013. We received the recall on the passenger side airbag warning light and took it in for the needed service. We have had to take it back in two more times because the warning still come on intermittently. The dealer cannot find the problem since it is intermittent. They said bring it in when it happens again. The problem is it only happens after they are closed to we are travelling. We do not know if the adult passenger is protected by the airbag or not when the light comes on. The latest thing is the sunvisors. They won't stay up and are an obstruction. Nissan says it is not a defect however the dealer had 3 complaints for same thing this week. It's reported on the internet several times.

The transmission in my Nissan Pathfinder failed shortly after it hit 100,000 miles. Come to find out this has been happening to thousands of Nissan vehicles due to a terrible design where they run a transmission fluid line into the radiator. That line cracks and floods the transmission causing catastrophic failure. Nissan has refused to address the issue. I am currently suing Nissan for $6500 to cover repair costs that could have been prevented with a $300 preventative repair via recall. Nissan has chosen to hide this rather than proactively reach out and prevent these failures. Their "Consumer Affairs" dept is an absolute joke too. They flat out lie to you. It is blatant and it is insulting. This company is a nightmare.

My fiancé and I bought a used Pathfinder with the "It's a Nissan. It'll run forever." mentality. After about TWO months of ownership, the radiator/transmission issue appeared. After a new radiator and transmission flush (it was flushed twice to ensure there was no more coolant mixed), it was determined the throttle sensor inside the transmission was fried due to the coolant. The part was $1,200.00 by itself. I have a family member at a dealership that was able to fix everything for $2,500.00 for about $4,000.00 worth of work. The car was running fantastic after being put back together.

After driving it with no problems for about two months, it just decided to randomly stop moving forward. She was able to drive it at about 20 mph in a 45 mph zone, but after parking, it wouldn't even shift anymore. It's now sitting at the dealership waiting on yet another verdict on what's happening. I'll never purchase another Nissan based on this experience and after learning that Nissan has taken NO responsibility, specifically stating that it's "not a safety concern." My fiancé sitting in traffic unable to move isn't a safety issue??? Thanks Nissan. We struggle to pay bills as it is. Oddly, we don't have thousands of dollars to put into keeping it moving.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After contacting the BBB and what I assume, continued support by the dealership service department, Nissan NA authorized the replacement of our transmission. Work was provided in a very fast manner, we were provided a rental car to meet our family needs and the warranty on the vehicle was lengthened to 60 months / 120,000 miles. Good on you Nissan NA, and outstanding support through Bronco Motors in Nampa, ID!

Jarrod of Eagle, ID on

Original Review

2014 Pathfinder purchase 12/31/2013 new. Currently have 12,300 miles. Tried to ignore the transmission problem, as it was random, and I figured CVT's ran like that. Almost was in an accident in June, so off to the dealer I went. They did some recall work, including the flash to fix the transmission. In the last couple months it reappeared and again very random. I took it back to the dealer whom could not replicate and no fault code. Service Consultant and tech said it has a problem but that Nissan North America would not authorize any work unless it through a code. Nissan NA confirmed the need of a code but happily provided me with an address to have an attorney send a description to represent, or something like that.

Occurred under 25mph, slowing down and the accelerating, especially in a turn. Also occurs around 40mph when accelerating through the shifting point, or whatever the CVT does. I'm afraid of the safety of my family, as well as other drivers. Should this occur when acceleration is necessary, things may not end well. That being said, the folks at the dealership have been outstanding.

Just bought this car March 23, 2015 with only 83,000 miles. It's August -- I just made my fourth car payment with an $11,000 loan. Now I am going to have to invest another $4000 to $8000 for a radiator and new transmission. Radiator fluid mix in the transmission fluid. I cannot believe Nissan is getting away with this. Unbelievable! Something needs to be done!

Nissan Pathfinder Company Profile