Nissan Pathfinder

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Believing it was the more sustainable thing to do, I took care of my Pathfinder and was prepared to drive it another 50,000 to 100,000 miles. It currently has 116,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the fact that I just had to put $5,000 into the car for the intermix issue and another $1,000 for a new fuel pump is unbelievable. Not so much the fuel pump, but the radiator and transmission issue were a known problem to Nissan and to my dealer. So every time I went to the dealership, there was an opportunity to save me that money, but they said nothing. Even in 2012, when the class action suit was settled, and my car had 70,000 miles on it, I was not told anything about this. I am disgusted by the fact that Nissan has been allowed to get away with a.) knowing this was a huge design flaw and failure, and b.) not taking care of its customers. Loyal customers who will never buy another Nissan.

My Pathfinder is currently at the dealership awaiting replacement of the transmission. We purchased this vehicle in 2015 with only 46,500 miles on it. As I was driving last week I nearly rear ended a car because my Pathfinder wouldn't stop. I called the dealer directly and was told to bring it in immediately, which I did the next day. I was informed that the Transmission had just been replaced at 46,000 miles (basically when I bought it) and here we are at 62,000 miles and I need to replace the transmission again. I had no clue of any Class action lawsuit or any issue with the CVT until I began to dig and research the issues. I thankfully am covered by my warranty and it's being replaced. BUT, how do I continue to own a vehicle with continuous transmission issues?

This is our family vehicle and my kids are transported to daycare and school daily, it truly scares the life out of me knowing something bad can happen. What safety net do I have in the near future should this happen again? I read that Nissan offered repair of the CVT once, but hey this is already the second time. I don't want another Nissan period!!!

I bought my Pathfinder in Nov 2013. Within 2 weeks the transmission started to shake really hard between 20-30 mph. I took the car back to the dealer as it should not be doing that on a brand new car. Nissan told me the diagnostic tests didn't show I have a problem. They couldn't replicate the issue. I explained that didn't make a difference to me as the vehicle shakes. I took the car back to Nissan at least 4 or 5 times and each time they told me there was no issues with my vehicle, they reset the computer and sent me on my way. Now after the warranty is up they say I have a transmission issue. Really! I have had a transmission issue the company seemed to ignore or pretend like it didn't exist since I bought the car. Now they want to devalue a trade in or charge me to fix it. Nissan was fully aware of the transmission problems and sold me that car. I am so disgusted with this company.

Nissan pathfinder 2007 transmission water damage. I bought this suv new. Always have taken it to nissan for service. They never told me that at 85000-90000 miles the transmission gets damaged due to a bad radiator. My car has 90000 and it happened to get damaged by water inside the transmission. They failed to disclose this problem with us. If told we would have changed the radiator. Now that we do research on this matter we find that thousands of pathfinder owners are going through the same problem.

I'm a owner of a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. This vehicle has major transmission issues. Vehicle shutters and jerks while driving 20 to 30 mph!! This vehicle needs to be recalled to fix this major problem to protect the safety of drivers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder transmission issues started at 8k and after several trips to service department and expert mechanic inspection they finally acknowledged the problem and replaced the transmission. Shortly thereafter, shuddering, stalling and vibrating started again. After several trips. They are replacing the transmission again. Unfortunately, now I'm being told the replacement transmission they installed is also defective and they are now waiting for Nissan to approve another replacement. What 3 year old car with 40k miles needs transmission replaced 3 times. Car has been at dealership service department for two weeks now with no estimate for when it will be completed. Surely, this must qualify for lemon lawsuit/buyback. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is the worst car ever. Help.

On 06/16/2016 my wife called me to tell me that our 2006 Nissan Pathfinder vin#** would not go in reverse and lost power. I had our vehicle towed to AAMCO Total Car Care in Arnold, Missouri so they could look at our vehicle. I was told two days later that my transmission had gone out due to a leak from the radiator hose connected to the transmission leaking into the transmission. I was told by a certified mechanic that this is a common problem with the Nissan Pathfinders and that it would be an expensive fix to rebuild the transmission and replace the radiator. I paid 4,5010.70 for this repair on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder which has only 85,000 miles on it.

Now I would like to know if or why there is no recall on this vehicle for this very costly repair. I have read several reviews on this site and see that this seems to be a common problem with Nissan Pathfinders and I don't see where Nissan is taking any responsibility for this problem. I work too hard and don't have money for repairs like this and Nissan not take responsibility for this design flaw in the Nissan Pathfinder. I will send a copy of this complaint to my attorney, the BBB, my state senator and any other consumer agency willing to listen to this complaint about a common problem with the Nissan Pathfinder.

2,500 miles the transmission failed. Nissan replaced. (Known issue with '13 and '14) 30,000 miles and now it is losing antifreeze. (Wife has '10 Altima that started losing antifreeze at 70,000 appears to be consuming and not leaking)

I advise people to stay away from Nissan. I purchased a brand new Nissan Pathfinder. Little did I know that as I was driving away in what I thought was a vehicle I would own for many many years had defects that would soon cost me over $7000. Nissan knew even before I drove off their dealership lot that there was a problem with coolant leaking into the transmission. They also knew that their experiment with replacing the timing belts with timing chains was doomed to fail. Sure enough thousands of owners, including me, ended up having to fork over $7000 dollars to replace the transmission and the timing chains. A company that knowingly sells defective cars cannot be trusted ever again. Google problems with the 06 Nissan Pathfinder or go to https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_pathfinder.html

Transmission failed. Pathfinder had 81,000 miles. Still under warranty from class action suit. Nissan would not honor warranty because radiator had been replaced PRIOR to my purchase, unbeknownst to me. Had been in an accident prior to my purchase which was not disclosed by the Nissan dealership I purchased the car from. Told me tough luck. Know it's a mfg. error. Too bad. Nissan does not stand behind their products even if you have warranties. I also had certification on this car that was 1,000 miles over. They didn't care. I did my due diligence with this purchase. They had no recommendation except for me, a disabled senior, to write a $5,000 check and get it replaced myself. My mechanic was appalled as was I. It took 2 months to get this response. This company is unethical and dishonorable. I would never recommend anyone purchase a Nissan.

I went to Nissan to drop off my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder because my car was shaking while driving on the 60-70 mph speed at a stable speed. The first time it went fine. They asked me to stay for 30 minutes to wait for the technician to arrive so that they could do a test drive with me. I couldn't stay because I had to go to work, and they didn't tell ahead of time when I was scheduling my meeting. However, they replace the accelerator fluid for me on that day. I picked up my car the same day in the evening. I got a rental car the first time.

The second time I went there is 2 days after the first service (because of the weekend). The same issue didn't resolve. I made early appointment like the first time. While I was at the service desk, a second service guy came up (the one who helped me the first time). He started screaming at me saying that I should stay there for the technician to come and do a test drive with him. He was saying that there was nothing wrong with my car and I was wasting their money and time because of the rental car they were providing and the service that they were providing. I was so confused because if there weren't anything wrong with my car, how did they fixed something the first time. He was so loud and so angry at me and made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

I agreed to stayed for 30 minutes to wait for the technician to show up and do a test drive. I cried at the waiting area to my husband on the phone and said I would never come back to do the service again because I felt so insulted. Being screamed at in front of 3 other customers and 4 other service guys. 30 minutes later, he came up to me and said that the technician called off that day and sent me to the rental car department. They called later that day and told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and my husband went and pick up my car later on.

My car was and is still doing the same and it got worse. It is shaking while I’m doing any speed limit at a stable speed. It is shaking while I’m making a turn. Yesterday, after starting the car, when I shift to reverse, the car went forward. I shut off the car and started the car again, I put in drive and it went reverse. I shut off the car for a few more minutes and turned it back on, it went normal again. It is still shaking pretty badly while driving.

Me and my husband got this car because of my 6 months' unborn baby. I'm very concern about the safety while driving it nowadays, but i have to get to work every day with this car. I never wanted to go back there for the service because I'm so disappointed at them and I'm not going back there to be screamed at again. My husband doesn't have time in the morning to drop off the car. I am very frustrated at this moment.

Issue with audio auxiliary. Does not connect properly with iPhone. Does not recognize it. I asked Nissan and they do not clearly have an answer for it. Also issue with this car is it periodically gives a jolt when you take a reverse. Nissan dealership cannot find a problem.

I purchased the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder new in 2013. I have 60,000 miles and starting at 30,000 I had my transmission replaced, exhaust manifold replaced, rear differential replaced, two door handles (from the inside). I have a squealing whining noise that's constant from my power steering pump. Occasionally a shudder which I'm told is normal. Sometimes the passenger airbag turns off when I sit in it. Nissan says it's the way I sit in it. (I'm 132 pounds) and something squeaks in the back when I make turns. Need I say more? I purchased this car to last me well over 5 years. I'm in the process of trading this lemon in for a reliable car.

My husband and I bought a 2008 Pathfinder in 2010 used. We were happy with our purchase until a year ago. I had to replace a gas sensor that cost me $1600. The heat shield makes noise when the car idles. I had to change the driver's side joints. I recently went in to do a transmission flush and oil change and was told my radiator hose cracked and is leaking into the transmission. Dealer recommended replacing radiator and that cost me $1400. Car was working fine until last night when I was driving and the 4wd light came on, service engine light came on and SUV was sluggish when stepping on gas at a traffic light. Pulled over and turned off engine and now SUV won't start. Wonder how much it will cost me this time? Will never buy Nissan again.

My transmission started to slip at 90,000 miles. Found out the radiator leaks coolant into the transmission. Had to get the transmission rebuilt and radiator replaced for $3500. After two years, I still had no heat and no one could figure out why. Now, my Pathfinder constantly overheats. Flushing it does nothing, changed the radiator again, did nothing and also changed the thermostat with no help. I'm probably stupid to take this car to Nissan, but I can't see junking a car that is immaculate inside and out with only 100,000 miles on it. My family is struggling to pay our bills and now we may not have a car!! I don't even know what to do!? I will never consider buying a Nissan ever again!

Purchased Nissan 2013 Platinum Pathfinder, 1/13. June 2015 a recall on the transmission software was done. Now at 70,000 miles, I need a new transmission. 10,000 out of warranty. However, Nissan has placed extended warranty on the Altima and Rouge with same CVT transmission due to the same issues. Nissan needs to do the same on the Pathfinder as there are issues with them as well.

I got my Nissan Pathfinder 2015 on June 2015. 2 months later the car started to shake when I was 15 to 30 mph. I went to the dealer. They didn't find the problem. Went three times. The 4th time I was on my way and the transmission just broke in the middle of the highway. They want to put a new transmission but I just don't want the car anymore. I have kids and I think the car is very dangerous. Please help.

We purchased the 2013 Pathfinder new in 2013. We received the recall on the passenger side airbag warning light and took it in for the needed service. We have had to take it back in two more times because the warning still come on intermittently. The dealer cannot find the problem since it is intermittent. They said bring it in when it happens again. The problem is it only happens after they are closed to we are travelling. We do not know if the adult passenger is protected by the airbag or not when the light comes on. The latest thing is the sunvisors. They won't stay up and are an obstruction. Nissan says it is not a defect however the dealer had 3 complaints for same thing this week. It's reported on the internet several times.

The transmission in my Nissan Pathfinder failed shortly after it hit 100,000 miles. Come to find out this has been happening to thousands of Nissan vehicles due to a terrible design where they run a transmission fluid line into the radiator. That line cracks and floods the transmission causing catastrophic failure. Nissan has refused to address the issue. I am currently suing Nissan for $6500 to cover repair costs that could have been prevented with a $300 preventative repair via recall. Nissan has chosen to hide this rather than proactively reach out and prevent these failures. Their "Consumer Affairs" dept is an absolute joke too. They flat out lie to you. It is blatant and it is insulting. This company is a nightmare.

My fiancé and I bought a used Pathfinder with the "It's a Nissan. It'll run forever." mentality. After about TWO months of ownership, the radiator/transmission issue appeared. After a new radiator and transmission flush (it was flushed twice to ensure there was no more coolant mixed), it was determined the throttle sensor inside the transmission was fried due to the coolant. The part was $1,200.00 by itself. I have a family member at a dealership that was able to fix everything for $2,500.00 for about $4,000.00 worth of work. The car was running fantastic after being put back together.

After driving it with no problems for about two months, it just decided to randomly stop moving forward. She was able to drive it at about 20 mph in a 45 mph zone, but after parking, it wouldn't even shift anymore. It's now sitting at the dealership waiting on yet another verdict on what's happening. I'll never purchase another Nissan based on this experience and after learning that Nissan has taken NO responsibility, specifically stating that it's "not a safety concern." My fiancé sitting in traffic unable to move isn't a safety issue??? Thanks Nissan. We struggle to pay bills as it is. Oddly, we don't have thousands of dollars to put into keeping it moving.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After contacting the BBB and what I assume, continued support by the dealership service department, Nissan NA authorized the replacement of our transmission. Work was provided in a very fast manner, we were provided a rental car to meet our family needs and the warranty on the vehicle was lengthened to 60 months / 120,000 miles. Good on you Nissan NA, and outstanding support through Bronco Motors in Nampa, ID!

Jarrod of Eagle, ID on

Original Review

2014 Pathfinder purchase 12/31/2013 new. Currently have 12,300 miles. Tried to ignore the transmission problem, as it was random, and I figured CVT's ran like that. Almost was in an accident in June, so off to the dealer I went. They did some recall work, including the flash to fix the transmission. In the last couple months it reappeared and again very random. I took it back to the dealer whom could not replicate and no fault code. Service Consultant and tech said it has a problem but that Nissan North America would not authorize any work unless it through a code. Nissan NA confirmed the need of a code but happily provided me with an address to have an attorney send a description to represent, or something like that.

Occurred under 25mph, slowing down and the accelerating, especially in a turn. Also occurs around 40mph when accelerating through the shifting point, or whatever the CVT does. I'm afraid of the safety of my family, as well as other drivers. Should this occur when acceleration is necessary, things may not end well. That being said, the folks at the dealership have been outstanding.

Just bought this car March 23, 2015 with only 83,000 miles. It's August -- I just made my fourth car payment with an $11,000 loan. Now I am going to have to invest another $4000 to $8000 for a radiator and new transmission. Radiator fluid mix in the transmission fluid. I cannot believe Nissan is getting away with this. Unbelievable! Something needs to be done!

I purchased my 06 Nissan Pathfinder in 2008. I was very happy with this purchase as my family has grown and it has been a great vehicle up until this point. It started with the transmission slipping and the car making a crumbly grinding noise and then when I would start to put it in drive it would barely go. I took it into the shop and the repairman told me it was a default in the radiator fluid mixing with the transmission. I am now paying 5000 dollars to have both pieces replaced as I am trying to stay away from a car payment at this time.

The warranty that Nissan reissued on these repairs is very crappy and I know it is so that they can avoid a recall. They need to do a recall on all of these vehicles and make the situation right for all of the consumers that have spent all of our hard earned money on their vehicle. I really enjoyed having my Pathfinder up until this point. I hope that the repairs last a few more years. However I will never ever buy a Nissan product again.

I have a 2005 and I had the same problem with transmission and radiator. I had mine replaced in 2012 and soon after Nissan sent me a letter outlining how much they will reimburse if you've had to replace the transmission. It varied on the mileage but it is worth looking into if you still have receipts from getting it fixed!

2008 Pathfinder with 50,800 miles. May 8, 2015, My wife ran drove down an incline and up the other side at a fast rate. The incline was enough to cause the curtain airbags to deploy. Took the vehicle to the State Farm select service center. They had it for 4 weeks trying to repair. They took the pathfinder to the dealership for repair. The dealership says the Harness for the curtain airbags is no longer manufactured by Nissan and they have sent the wiring harnesses to Aeromotive for repair. Why doesn't Nissan maintain a parts inventory for their vehicles? The Nissan salesmen tell me once the airbags deploy, the car is totaled and the value of the car is $2500.00. 11 weeks and still waiting for a repair or a decision to total from the insurance company.

What a disappointment this experience has been. I don't think the Nissan Service dept. has the experience or expertise or talent to get the job done. When I first purchased the vehicle NEW in 2008, I was given a complimentary oil change. When I brought the Pathfinder home, it was dripping oil in my driveway. I found the oil filter access cover with loose bolts, but the oil was simply because it had dripped on the cover and the "tech" did not have the sense to clean it off. I should have known then. Maybe Nissan does not have a good training program for their "mechanics".

Now, I am left wondering, is the failure of overall Nissan to manufacture parts to keep the old ones repaired, or is the service dept.'s lack of ability to perform the repairs. I am soooo Disappointed in Nissan. They do not even try to keep me as a customer. I was provided a loaner car up to $900.00 by my insurance company. That ran out after 5 weeks. Ideally, Nissan should provide me a loaner until they fix it, or convince State Farm to total the vehicle. Obviously, keeping a customer is too expensive for Charles Barker (dealership owner). Nissan for life is only a saying, not a way of life or promise for the dealership.

Warning/advice. This is straightforward for NISSAN DEALER. I do not usually show my privacy, but I have to warn them not to pass the same. I bought a nice SUV Nissan Pathfinder in Florida has nearly 4,000 miles and already has problems with the transmission. Nissan does not want to replace me the car, only they want to replace the transmission, and that's not right, because I bought a car zero miles, and not a car with problems. With this experience I NEVER buy a NISSAN.

I don't know why any of these reviewer on this site is complaining. I love my car. I bought it use 2013 PATHFINDER. I have to say so far I'm loving it and I have 100,000 miles warranty so cross my fingers I guess.

We purchased our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder on May 21 of this year. Today makes 39 days we've had it. On the 32nd day we noticed it was having some roughness in the transmission when changing gears. It felt like we were running over really rough roads or rumble strips. It continued to get worse the longer we drove it. Then around a week ago I put it in reverse and it continued to roll forward. I immediately drove home to inform my husband. When he checked the transmission fluid it appeared to be empty. When he further checked it and cleaned the dipstick it was a tannish colored liquid that was showing up. I went to Google and found that many others with this same or similar vehicle was having the same problem and that the problem was a leak in a radiator hose that runs thru the transmission and leaks fluids back and forth.

My husband went to check the radiator and sure enough there is transmission fluid in the radiator and it appeared in the engine as well. So now we have transmission fluid, water, and antifreeze in our transmission, radiator and engine. Nissan needs to step up and take care of this problem. It's clear that this is a

flaw in their workmanship. We were told by Nissan to bring our Pathfinder in for an evaluation and be prepared to pay 2,500.00 dollars. Needless to say we are paying a payment already on a vehicle we have had for one month. We can't afford this kind of repair. So now were stuck with a car we can't even drive.

I went to the Nissan dealer to get an oil change and tire rotation done. After being there for an hour, I was told that the hood release coil was frozen and that it would take another to get it replaced and then the servicing would need to be done. I have learned that a frozen hood release is something that you might expect in an older car but not in a car that is only 3 years old. It would seem to me that it should be covered.

Save yourself time and money. If you have a pathfinder, IMMEDIATELY REPLACE THE RADIATOR BEFORE YOU GET STUCK WITH THE BILL FOR A NEW TRANNY. If you DON'T already own a pathfinder, DON'T buy one! I bought my '06 pathfinder with 92k miles for 10 grand in July of 2014. At 102k miles I started experiencing shuttering and vibrations during shifting. After a quick Google search I learned of the radiator problem and was horrified that I bought a ticking time bomb. My husband replaced the radiator for a cool $150 and we thought maybe, just maybe we could get a few more years out of the vehicle. The shuttering stopped for about 6 months and then picked back up with a vengeance. (Water had already ruined the tranny.)

It stopped shifting in April of 2015. I paid to have the trans rebuilt, and wish I hadn't even bothered. Paid 4g and have had to take it back 3 times already. Hard downshift still, even after replacing the computer in the transmission and multiple other aspects per my transmission warranty. Overheats and won't go into overdrive. This car is a real PIECE and my biggest regret thus far in life. If you have busted your butt to save up the cash to buy a car flat out like I did, look further than ANY Nissan vehicle. After owning 3, I'm convinced that they are all junk.

Nissan Pathfinder Company Profile