1.38/5
Based on 240 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

405 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

My Pathfinder LE was a 2007, and at 180,000 KM had the 'known' transmission failure where the transmission line running through the radiator degrades and bleeds coolant into the trans. I had to have the transmission rebuilt at a cost of $6,000. Vehicle ran okay for a while after that, but then began to have cooling system issues.

I'm giving it 2 stars because for the first 150,000 km it was a decent vehicle. The fact that Nissan knows this is an issue though, and chose to hide it from consumers and never has addressed it with Canadian owners is unacceptable. In my opinion, with the reliability of modern transmissions when properly maintained they should function without issue for 300-400 KM.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have 2013 Nissan Pathfinder with defect visor that would not go back up. This is a safety issue and I called Nissan but to my surprise they are not willing to do anything. Basically don't care about my concerned. Fox Nissan the local dealership did not concerned either and there is a lot of review on internet about the cheap plastic that Nissan used in the sun visor. I think they have been getting away with this and maybe they were paying somebody for the cover up. This is not a good company to buy from and hope I do not have two Nissan product in my household.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Paid for repairs on 3 out of the 4 Doors. I have owned a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder for three years. I purchased it certified pre-owned. Since purchasing the vehicle, both the driver’s side and passenger side interior door handles have broken off and been repaired at my expense. Shortly after the second door handle broke, the switch on my passenger side rear door somehow jammed and the switch does not move. It is stuck in the locked position so the door has to be opened from the outside.

Most recently, I had the molding on the right top of my vehicle pop up due to a broken clip. I took my vehicle to a body shop thinking a clip replacement would not be a significant expense only to find out that Nissan acknowledges the clips break frequently so they quit selling just the clip. It is necessary to purchase a clip that performs the repair on both sides of the roof, you can't just buy one side. So the bottom line here is that Nissan is willing to make money off of consumers as the result of product quality. I ended up paying $425 dollars as a result in lieu of just paying for new clip.

I reached out to Nissan Consumer affairs to see if they would be willing to at least fix the child lock in good faith. They sent me to the local dealership to have them see if there was anything they could do. What a waste of time. My option was to pay the labor cost to have the pop off the inside of the door to just see if there was a quick fix. When the dealership called corporate to see if they would just absorb the half hour of labor cost, it was denied. Needless to say, I will get rid of my Nissan and never own one again.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I bought a brand new Nissan Pathfinder in 2013 and it had many recalls (which is normal for cars) but I was amazed at how many "normal" things broke in the car. Two door handles broke off (inside of the car) as my kids opened the door!!! And the sun visor on the driver's side (and later the passenger side) broke so it would impair my field of vision and I had to use a clamp to hold it in place. Those three things were NOT paid by Nissan... I had to pay out of my own pocket. I have never had a car that would have normal parts break off like that! Horrible and cheaply made car...

I am sure Nissan cut corners to make it cheaper and consumers are getting stuck with a low-quality car. I DO NOT recommend this car to anyone. It looks nice but FALLS APART! I am keeping it because it is paid for... I don't plan to buy another Nissan... So disappointing that the company just says the parts are "out of warranty"... I have had many cars and NONE had a door handle or a sun visor break... It is VERY disappointing!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder platinum used in 2015, everything under the sun has gone wrong with it. I still owe on it and now they tell me I need an engine for $14,000. Are they out of their minds. It’s not covered under warranty nor recalled. Not sure why when I read at least 60 complaints about the same issues I’m having. And they charged me $100 for each thing they had to diagnosis. I’ve had all my oil changes done on a 4000 basis or when needed, but because I don’t have a warranty on engine or record of service through a rip off place like Jiffy Lube. They don’t want to hear it or help me. So therefore I’m careless, with 4 kids and a single mom.

I saved my hard earned money to get this car. I always wanted one. Thought I was getting a good deal. Haha guess I was wrong. The door handle broke out of the blue, all my headlights burned out at the same time twice, my hood flew open while I was driving (which is recalled). I would of never known if I didn’t look it up myself! I’m disgusted and will never ever do business with Nissan again or recommend! Something needs to be done! Transmission has jerked for at least a year as well. They say it’s not recalled. I read differently!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: May 9, 2018

Nissan Pathfinder's seat material is hard to keep clean but newer versions have better material I think. Handles well and good gas mileage for the size of the vehicle. Strange rattle but doesn’t impact performance. Dealer addressed previous issues.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Nissan Pathfinder is a good car and sometimes good in gas. But Nissan dealer in Huntington was not good. I told them from the get go that I needed a 4x4. The salesman trick me with a regular truck. Not happy about that.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Live in Chicago and heater output is lacking. When it is really cold I use my Jeep Patriot. Assembly uses cheap clips that come loose. Plus this is not a SUV. Front end under bumper shroud is too low and bottom of radiator is too low with no skid plate. Had front bumper pulled off by snow pile and bottom of cheap plastic radiator damaged by something that was only 4 inches high.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

First, I will say that I was probably one of Nissan's biggest fans! This is my 5th Nissan (all purchased new): Altima, Maxima, Pathfinder, Versa and now the 2013 Pathfinder Platinum. The high quality and manufacturing of my previous Nissan vehicles was something I greatly appreciated. However, the purchase of my platinum Pathfinder has consisted of one disappointment after another... Nothing which was covered under Nissan's warranty or the additional "bumper to bumper" warranty sold to us by the dealership (now, which has since changed ownership).

My current ongoing challenge: both of my visors are broken. We were told 2 years ago they aren't covered and will be over $200 for the replacement hinge part alone+ labor (x 2 visors). I have read reviews that people are replacing these, only to have it happen again. So, we are not putting out the $500+ to replace them. I deal with the falling visor as I drive and still search for a way to "rig" it myself for safety purposes.

We have already replaced the driver's door handle which broke off, front wheel bearing (which was finally diagnosed by a small private shop after extremely loud road noise and buying new tires and having it checked by 4 auto shops). The rear bumper sensor is faulty resulting in backing into something, problems with transmission shifting (but haven't had to replace yet), severe hood vibration on the expressway (purchased and installed a hood air deflector which helps slightly). The list really goes on and on.

This was my dream car. We purchased a 40K car, buying into Nissan's quality and reliability. We purchased brand new to avoid constant repair costs and the inconvenience of running back and forth to the shop. This adds additional challenges, as it leaves our family without 1 car, while repairs are made. Additionally, the gas mileage is nowhere close to what Nissan claimed. Sadly, at this rate for repairs, frustration and disappointment... This will be my last Nissan purchase. The poor workmanship with multiple parts breaking has been disappointing enough, but the additional cost of repairs and lack of responsibility of Nissan (and the dealership) has cost them the good and loyal customers in our family. I understand there is a learning curve with new car models, but the cost penalties for the manufacturing defects should not be passed on to the consumer.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My 2015 Pathfinder with 31,000 miles does not have a clear backup camera especially at night. I have had it into the dealership on 3 different occasion. On its last visit to the dealership, they replaced the camera and the screen. Made some difference but still not as clear as my wife's 2017 Kia Sportage, my son's 2015 Nissan Rogue, or my daughter's 2017 RAV4. Anyone else have this problem???

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I along with many other Nissan owners are having issues with door handles breaking very easily and Sun shades drooping down. I believe it is in the company's best interest to address these issues with its vehicle or face a sharp drop in the sales of these particular vehicles. I have these issues with my Pathfinder and was disappointed to find out how common it is and the company has failed to address them, especially since the visor could be a hazard should it complete fall open unexpectedly while you're driving and could cause an accident. I for one will be seeking out another brand when I am ready to purchase another vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I bought my 2013 Pathfinder brand new Sept 13. Only a few month later I started having electrical issues with batteries. Key fobs needed changed three times. Batteries twice from corrosion! A few months ago around 30000 miles my mechanic said my oil was gunning up and that shouldn't be happening so soon. Then it started smoking blue and black smoke from exhaust. Took it to mechanic. He said it's my motor and it was under warranty.

Now it's in the shop torn apart waiting for Nissan to say if they will pay. They told my husband our carbon receipts from a small business wasn't good enough! That's where I always go, so they called. He said, "Yes we did all the maintenance." Not good enough!!! Are you kidding me. You don't want to pay because I support small business. When it has been serviced regularly I have had so many problems I can't count. Now I have to pay 15k for a motor. It's not even 42k miles on it! I owe less. I will fight this even if I have to get a lawyer!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have had this car for a year. Purchased it with almost 37K miles on it. So far it has completely shut down on me twice saying the key could not be located and it dies. I needed to get a jump in order to restart the car with the same key in my purse. Now I need a Radiator fan assembly replaced on a 4 year old car. I have called several shops and they all said there has to be a recall. That car is too new to need this. Tell me about it. Just waiting on a few rebates toward the end of the year and this car is GONE! I will NEVER purchase a Nissan again! EVER.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, I had to replace the transmission & radiator a couple of years ago. Then I did some research and noticed there were several like me as well, I contact Nissan Manuf. several times by phone and email, but they told me my vehicle was past the mileage for them to take care of the expense, and also stated that they mailed a letter to me which that's not true. I heard others say the same thing as well that they never received a letter. I paid almost $4000.00 for a transmission. I don't think that's right. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. it's sad the way they treat their customers.

Original review: July 24, 2017

After the radiator failure, contaminating the transmission, Nissan offers no assistance to the owners if the car is over 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. Leaving us with a bill over $7,000... After owning 2 nissans, this is how they take care of you... Look online and see the hundreds of car owners in the same situation... I am never buying another nissan again...

Original review: July 20, 2017

I bought my Nissan Pathfinder no more than two years ago. We take really good care of our car inside and outside… doing the regular maintenance etc. We brought it to the Nissan because our mechanic when he did the oil change notice the oil look burn... and smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Because the car is still under warranty we brought it to the Nissan in Brandon FL to have it repair but it got denied because of maintenance concerns? We have been doing regular service in the car like we are suppose to. And is not normal that a almost brand new car and well take care of is giving us engine issues? And on top of that get denial for repair even though we have warranty on it???

Original review: June 20, 2017

I bought a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder last August and the car starter in the car was factory installed and it does not heat up or defrost the windows in the winter or cool it off in the summer. It's been in the shop 4-5 times and they tell me it only starts the car to get the juices flowing, once you start the car manually the blower turns on. Was never informed of this when I bought the car and I can't go anywhere else to have a car starter put in because it's still under warranty. I don't even have 7500 miles on my car. I am very unhappy with this. Will never buy another Nissan product again because they don't want to be held accountable to fix this problem.

Original review: May 31, 2017

A screw made its way from the intake manifold into cylinder #2 in a 2002 3.5 l Nissan engine, eventually killing it. This has apparently happened in other 2002 Pathfinder engines. I reported it to Nissan. Their response, “The car is too old. We cannot do anything about it.” I did have 160,000 miles on the engine when this happened. Please, warn other consumers about this issue. Thank you!

Original review: May 23, 2017

2013-2015 Pathfinder Sun Visors - Just yet another very disappointed Nissan customer who is dealing with the hundreds of dollars of out-of-warranty repair costs on the terrible Sun visors that should have been recalled as soon as they came out. This is now my third Sun visor in 75k miles. When they break, they no longer stay in the upright position and hang directly in your field of view. If you're a taller individual, they block nearly all visibility of the road. You can't sit on this any longer Nissan!! Recall these and replace with a permanent fix! The next steps are going to be class-action lawsuits against you, or worse, someone is going to get seriously injured as a result of this defect.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I am very disappointed about the way my car is operating. My sales experience at East Nissan in Charlotte, NC was great. My sales representative, Ronald **, made sure I had an excellent purchasing experience. It's the car itself. First it was a headlight. Got it fixed. A few weeks later, the other one. Meanwhile... I had been questioning my park lights working and had been assured by service staff that they were indeed working. They lied. My lights were not working. After numerous recalls, and parts not available to repair, I went in for a simple oil change and was told that I needed $1500 (rotors and brakes) worth of work done to my car. Now... I purchased my car in 2013, straight off the showroom floor... I was in love. That love soon dissolved because it was always one thing after another. So... I paid to have the $1500 worth of work done...

Since then, my car has not run properly to me. My wheels squeak, the front right tire feels like I am running over something constantly, the door seals keep coming off and one has a hole in it. When I put my car in gear, it sometimes stuck and I have to stay in place before it will move as directed. Sun visors... Oh yeah, they had to be replaced because they began to just fall anytime they wanted to while I was driving... Nissan did replace but they wanted me to pay initially... I refused. I have grown to dislike my car quite a bit. I also considered trading my Pathfinder... At the dealership I was told my car was upside down... but the bank had just told me that I had plenty of equity and worth in my vehicle now... I'm really confused and even more upset. You have hurt my feelings tremendously Nissan.

Original review: March 16, 2017

My 2008 Nissan Pathfinder has been having heating issues for about 2 years and no one could figure out why. Turns out there was slow leak in the radiator. Once my mechanic found the leak, we changed the radiator, hoses, etc. $1100 worth of work. My mechanic said he had to flush the transmission 3 times to get the coolant out but he was still not sure if the transmission would make it or not. Needless to say, 2 days later my car stopped working at a stoplight. It just would not move. Now I need a new transmission.

I just assumed I had the worst luck in the world but when my mechanic said he was having a hard time finding a used transmission I was like, "Wait a minute?? Out of all the Pathfinders out there, none of them got totaled and still had a good transmission in it??" I started to do some research and found out about the lawsuit and that thousands of other people have been in my exact situation. I never received a letter and at this time am 13,000 miles over the extended warranty they issued to all Nissans between years 2005-2010. How am I supposed to know about any of this without my car dealer notifying me?

I bought the car from Nissan, they have my information and I can prove the problem started within warranty. I have spoke with several people from Nissan North America to no avail. Not even a little compassion was given. Just a "Nope, can't help you." So I spent well over $30,000 for a car that only lasted a little over 100,000 miles. That not only seems outrageous but the fact that over 380,000 other Nissans had the same, exact issue and all they were made to do was extend our warranty makes me furious. Even if this would have happened in warranty I would still be liable for at least half the cost.

Since when did this county start letting big companies take advantage of the little people? Not only did they try to deny and cover it up, but when they were found out, they received a slap on the wrist. My local Nissan dealer was no better so I will never buy a Nissan or anything affiliated with Nissan ever again and warn everyone I know not to either. I still owe on my car so I will be spending another 6 grand at least to get it back into working order so I do not lose me any more money than I already have.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Bought '13 Pathfinder in 2015 with 30k miles. Within 3 days had it taken to Nissan for jumping/lurching and airbag light on passenger side. They did a software update to the transmission and did nothing about the light as it was intermittent. Everything is good until 88k miles. Had oil changed and mechanic (close family friend) said oil looked extremely bad which didn't make sense as he was the person who had changed our oil every 4-5k miles.

Took it to shop as it started smoking and was told it would need a new engine as the piston rings had gone bad and repair cost more than replacement. Ok no worries. I thought it stinks but that's what warranties are for. Well we got the car back and 3 days later the check engine light comes back on and now my brakes are failing. As well as needing a new alternator, new drivers side sunvisor, now I get a recall notice. Take it to Nissan again to be told I need a new transmission due to the recall. Now, luckily this has all been covered under warranty for me, but this does not seem to be the case for most people.

I have owned four other Nissans this being my fifth, and they were all great cars. It saddens me deeply to see a company this large using their collective size and clout to treat their customers this way. The 2013-2014 Nissan Pathfinders should have all been taken off the road by now due to the many safety and mechanical issues they have. I cannot see myself purchasing another Nissan after the reliability of this vehicle. I, like many others, pay well over 500$ a month for our cars and can't afford to keep fixing it when my warranty does run out. If you are considering purchasing a Nissan, I would advise to buy brand new and purchase the most comprehensive warranty you can get as you will need it. If not you will be left waiting for countless hours at dealerships and shops for your vehicle. Again, I am a die hard Nissan fan here but am afraid I will have to consider purchasing a different brand as soon as I am able.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

2017 Pathfinder - Seat warmer has melted the back of my coat made of manmade leather materials. Heater set toward the floor to warm my feet melted the entire right side of my right boot also made of manmade leather material. Both items I have had for several years and worn with previous vehicles during the winter while using a heated seat and heater. I am aghast and warn every woman before considering her winter wardrobe when driving this vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I bought my vehicle 2 1/2 years with 23000 miles on it as a program car from the dealership thinking I was getting a great deal. Two weeks ago I go to start my 2014 Pathfinder and the screen pops up Infinity. I'm like okay that's weird. I drive down the road and turn on my heat and it is at full blast at 90 degrees and you can't turn it down. The knobs just stopped working... so this now means I have no air conditioning!!!

Took it to my local dealership, they have never seen this, past the 36,000 mile warranty so now I have to pay for it!! Not to mention my driver side visor broke and snapped on the inside and had to buy a clamp to hold it up so I can see to drive... Complained to Nissan and they say none of this is a recall and it's past my warranty. I am just ** out of luck!! I will never buy from Nissan again and will complain to everyone I can!!! I am a single mom working two jobs to have a nice car and home for my boys and then this happens. Had a 15 year Ford Explorer that I traded in and wished I had just kept it now!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I received a recall from Nissan dealership. I am having this problem with my car since long time. I have visited Teddy Nissan at the Bronx in December 2016 two time and had my car problem to be fixed but it was never fixed. As per Teddy Nissan they can't find any problems but when I drive my car it shakes/ lurches. I also have called the Main Nissan customer service office and made complains of the problems that I am having and no one seems to help me. The lady who is handling my case at Nissan customer service in the main office her name is Anisa and my case number#**. Finally I took my car to Nissan of Yorktown heights on January 7th, 2017 and I got my car back on January 11, 2016. I was told by Joseph (mechanic) that they don't find any issue but I should drive my car about 100 miles more and see if the problem still appear I should bring it back to them.

I still have the same problems and it's getting worse day by day. After third visit to two different Nissan Dealership (Teddy Nissan and Yorktown Nissan) I have requested Anisa to email me a copy of the recent update from their file and she refused to provide me any information. Also I was told by Ms. ** from Nissan customer service that even if my car miles goes over the guaranteed miles they (Nissan) will still fix my car because I have been going back and forth to them with the same issue several times and it's still not fixed. January 12, 2017 my fourth visit to Nissan at Yorktown, Mr. Joseph drove my car and experienced the same problem (Transmission Problem) that I am facing but Nissan telling me there is no problem as per their computer.

I am looking forward to have Nissan to fix the problem that I am having on my car. Every mechanic I take my car to, they tell me it is a problem with the car's transmission but the Nissan tells me they can't find any issue. I am getting the runaround and not being able to work. It would be very appreciated if my car gets fixed soon. Otherwise I am never going purchase any merchandise from Nissan or never going to recommend to my friends and family to ever purchase any of Nissan merchandise. I am not happy with the types of service I am getting from Nissan.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

My 2010 Pathfinder has had issues since purchased brand new. Windows don't roll up and down properly, one of the back seats has never folded up, Bluetooth has never worked properly, steering has always vibrated, Horn doesn't work and the list goes on and on and on. Dealership always seems to cause more problems but never fixes anything. I will never, ever even consider purchasing another Nissan of any type.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Bluetooth starting malfunctioning so brought the 2010 Pathfinder with 65k miles to 2 Nissan dealerships who could not identify correction needed. Now, all buttons on the left do not work and Nissan still cannot figure out how to fix this. Also, the steering column is locking. Prevented the car from starting even with the key fob. Vehicle is now over warranty and Customer Affairs will not do anything to assist. Anyone else having these problems?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

Believing it was the more sustainable thing to do, I took care of my Pathfinder and was prepared to drive it another 50,000 to 100,000 miles. It currently has 116,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the fact that I just had to put $5,000 into the car for the intermix issue and another $1,000 for a new fuel pump is unbelievable. Not so much the fuel pump, but the radiator and transmission issue were a known problem to Nissan and to my dealer. So every time I went to the dealership, there was an opportunity to save me that money, but they said nothing. Even in 2012, when the class action suit was settled, and my car had 70,000 miles on it, I was not told anything about this. I am disgusted by the fact that Nissan has been allowed to get away with a.) knowing this was a huge design flaw and failure, and b.) not taking care of its customers. Loyal customers who will never buy another Nissan.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

My Pathfinder is currently at the dealership awaiting replacement of the transmission. We purchased this vehicle in 2015 with only 46,500 miles on it. As I was driving last week I nearly rear ended a car because my Pathfinder wouldn't stop. I called the dealer directly and was told to bring it in immediately, which I did the next day. I was informed that the Transmission had just been replaced at 46,000 miles (basically when I bought it) and here we are at 62,000 miles and I need to replace the transmission again. I had no clue of any Class action lawsuit or any issue with the CVT until I began to dig and research the issues. I thankfully am covered by my warranty and it's being replaced. BUT, how do I continue to own a vehicle with continuous transmission issues?

This is our family vehicle and my kids are transported to daycare and school daily, it truly scares the life out of me knowing something bad can happen. What safety net do I have in the near future should this happen again? I read that Nissan offered repair of the CVT once, but hey this is already the second time. I don't want another Nissan period!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I bought my Pathfinder in Nov 2013. Within 2 weeks the transmission started to shake really hard between 20-30 mph. I took the car back to the dealer as it should not be doing that on a brand new car. Nissan told me the diagnostic tests didn't show I have a problem. They couldn't replicate the issue. I explained that didn't make a difference to me as the vehicle shakes. I took the car back to Nissan at least 4 or 5 times and each time they told me there was no issues with my vehicle, they reset the computer and sent me on my way. Now after the warranty is up they say I have a transmission issue. Really! I have had a transmission issue the company seemed to ignore or pretend like it didn't exist since I bought the car. Now they want to devalue a trade in or charge me to fix it. Nissan was fully aware of the transmission problems and sold me that car. I am so disgusted with this company.

Nissan Pathfinder Company Information