Nissan Altima
1.21/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nissan Altima

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

776 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

2011 Nissan Altima - Started our a year ago losing power the further I drove it. The speed would drop from approx 70 mph to 55 on the interstate. This caused several near wrecks on the interstate. I would pull over & wait 10 minutes and the car would drive fine for another 45 min. Then it started progressing to shorter distances & inclines. I changed the battery, plugs, wires, AF sensor, filter, oil, coolant, alternator, etc. No relief. Recently, after driving for about 45 minutes, the car started revving up the RPMs while on the interstate to the red line. This would last about 5 min, then lose power. Then it would drop below 50 and continually lose speed till I stop. It would whine on the interstate. I could pull over for 5-10 minutes and restart to get power to finish my commute.

However, numerous times I’d come off the interstate to make a turn & lose power almost being hit by other cars due to no power. The pedal to the floor but no acceleration. Brought it to Nissan who said they have not heard of any of these issues, but my transmission needs replacing for $5500 or I could get a used one for $4800. Over the past week, the air conditioner has just went out. To repair it will cost $1030. I now have a paid off 2011 Nissan Altima with 140,000 miles which blue books for $7300 but needs $6600 worth of work. Unbelievable!! I was a huge Nissan supporter, with my last 3 new cars being Nissans. However, I will never purchase a Nissan ever again and I will discourage anyone from purchasing one in the future.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

On 2010 I bought a new Nissan Altima 2009. After 4 years of use the car began with problems, Main problem was the ESCL unit, It locked the car after I turned off, and couldn't turn on. I took the car to the Nissan dealer where I bought the car, they stated that because of this issue the Nissan Corp extended the warranty of a car. They stated that this is due a manufacturing irregularity (a defective piece). The Nissan dealer replaced the piece, Nissan stated that this piece never should fail. 4 years later the same piece failed again. I took the car to a different auto mechanic, they called Nissan, and they stated that is not anymore under warranty. (For a Nissan piece that should never fail). It looks like they replace the defective piece that should never fail with another piece that was also defective, and needs to replace each four years.

The car originally should be in a RECALL because of this issue. I read many websites about these issues and I realized that I am not the only one that is having this problem with this car. I call Nissan Corporation to find a fair solution for this issue, they responded that the car is not under warranty and cannot do anything else. Of course I told them that this is the last time I buy a Nissan, that I feel very disappointing with their business, and I will not recommend to buy a Nissan to any of the people I know. I think Nissan should assume their responsibility when selling defective cars. I am sorry Nissan. You lost not one customer, exponentially you lost approximately 200 or more.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I needed a new car recently and my old car was a 98 Maxima so I wanted another one but the prices are kind of high so I decided to go with the Altima but I wanted the six cylinder so I checked out the SR model. It looks great and it has power and it holds tight to the road. I didn't want the leather and all the bells and whistles. I just wanted power windows seats and locks and so far I'm impressed with it. I got it for less than 24,000 out the door year end sale so out with the old so the new stock can come in but you get a nice price. I've only put a couple of thousand miles on but if it's as good as my Maxima is then I'll be really happy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018 I have to do a lot of complaints. 2 years my Nissan Altima making noises and vibrations. No one still fix my problem being 10 or more times

back to dealer. Now I have oil slick from crankcase. Blowing fan making noises and I own new Nissan Altima 2014. Only 29100 miles on it. My last Nissan vehicle being honest.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

2013 NISSAN ALTIMA - Out of service for 14 days in July 2013 at 18,243 miles to replace the CVT! Out of service 1 day to replace the alternator in November 2017 at 48,000 miles and at that updated the ECM to correct code P052B. Out of service 23 days to diagnose & repair code P052B on December 19, 2017. 4 days after being supposedly fixed the P052B code returned and now has been back at the shop an additional 8 days with no end in sight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Bought the 2009 Altima with 85,000 in late 2014 for my daughter. Not even a month the transmission starts to fail on the freeway because of transmission heating issues, fortunately I was with her and we got off safely as it would not go faster than 40 MPH. We found out it was covered under their extended 120,000, 10 year warranty because of the number of similar failures. So we got a brand new transmission from the factory that totally failed again 2 years later on the freeway leaving her stranded on the side of the freeway.

The new transmission had 60k miles of driving as the odometer was 144 K and so we were out of the warranty period and the previous work was only covered for 1 yr. These are the worst transmission ever, you may get a great price but you will lose that savings replacing these CVT transmissions as it cost $3200 to replace and the mechanic said the entire inside was totally thrashed. You have been warned, if you love your family or don't want to be left stranded do not buy Nissan CVT transmission cars.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Well pretty much the same thing. Bought new Nissan Altima in 2013. My daughter was almost in tears clucking up the driveway. Said she was almost in a accident because something is wrong with her car. Just told by dealership that our transmission has failed! Really! Not even 90000 miles! And just made last payment. Congratulations Nissan! Looks like you’re losing customers for not admitting and correcting this problem. I was always a Nissan guy. Not anymore. Sadly.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I bought a 2013 a year ago and I hit 70,200 miles this morning and my transmission blew. I called a mechanic and when I told him my Nissan Altima transmission blew HE ASKED ME IF I HAD JUST HIT 70,000 miles! I should not have to pay for a new transmission. This is unacceptable and common among the mechanics I have spoke with, however Nissan will only repair if it's a 2010 or older. About a month ago I took it in for a transmission crankshaft portion sensor recall. I was so happy with Nissan and thought I would be a lifetime owner. Now I just hope I can get rid of this one and forget about Nissan altogether. Thanks for a wonderful 3500 expense at Christmas.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Having multiple problems. Replace camshaft and crankshaft sensors. There is recalls on 2003s for this serious issue but not my VIN. Bad Catholic System. There are recalls for the serious issue but not my VIN. Replace still having issues and now rattling. Burning oil Not leaking. There is recalls for this issues but not my VIN. They are not standing behind their product that I spent over 21K on now is turning out to be worthless and with very serious safety issues.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I have the car and I keep it in perfect condition most of the time but my car dash start melting and contact Nissan and the only thing want pay 50% of the cost. This manufacture mistake not mine and the car almost new except dash melting.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

For several times I have requested Nissan North America to assist me with my Nissan 2012 Altima CVT transmission replacement and a copy of my case file from Nissan consumer affairs. Case # **. My 2012 Nissan Altima VIN: **. Since when my car had 31,000 miles I explained Nissan that my car had problems with my transmission, no acceleration and winning as many other unhappy Nissan owners with CVT transmission, they told me "don't worry is normal." At that time I believe that.

Now my car CVT transmission broke down and they don't want to pay for my transmission, when I open my claim with Dylan from Nissan consumer affairs agent number ** on October 19, 2017. He told me to bring my car to Nissan Crown Motors in Redding California which is about 2 1/2 hours away from my house. I was worried about the money that Nissan roadside assistance will charge me for towing $314 which I paid but Dylan told me that they will reimburse me the money and as well diagnostic fee $120, now they denied my case.

They refused to pay me neither reimburse me what I paid for towing, they clearly know that my CVT transmission is defective but they don't want to pay for replacement. Also this car is dangerous because of the defective CVT sometimes will not accelerate or reduce the speed drastically. Now my car is in Redding California at Nissan Crown Motors dealer and I have no way to get it back. I asked several times for a copy of my case file but they refuse to provide me one. Please help me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I purchased my 2016 Nissan Altima SV brand new from Nissan of St. Charles, Illinois. One month after my purchase the radio completely died and needed to be replaced. It took Nissan one month to send a new unit to the dealership. Meanwhile, I had to drive a Nissan Versa (basically a golf cart) until my vehicle was repaired. At 50,000 miles the transmission started to have trouble up shifting. I took it to the dealership to be diagnosed and no codes appeared. This meant “nothing” could be done to address the issue.

At 59,995 miles the transmission failed completely. If it would have failed after 60,000 miles, I would have been out of luck. Fortunately, the dealership replaced the “valve assembly” and repaired the transmission. The staff at Nissan of St. Charles was great. However, I’m one of many Nissan Altima owners to have this problem. In my opinion, Nissan should extend the warranty for Altima owners or for any Nissans that are having this transmission problem. I will never trust the Nissan brand again. If I wanted this hassle, I would just buy another Ford. Lesson learned!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Transmission failed at 140,000 miles. Drive a lot of highway miles, am very disappointed in Nissan (2015 Altima), up to this point, really enjoyed the car. Now I am looking at a $3800 bill for a car that is less than 3 years old. Will never buy another Nissan.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I had recently opened a case with Nissan Corp in Franklin, TN regarding my failed transmission. I requested Goodwill Assistance on a transmission since a transmission is not supposed to fail at only 79k miles. A case specialist reached out to me today to let me know that Nissan has decided to do nothing regarding this issue. I then called Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told that because I don't have enough vehicle history at a dealership, they wouldn't assist even though my car is less than 20k over the warranty.

Nissan Regal in Roswell, GA told me that this kind of problem is an actual problem with the transmission itself and there would be no way to assess that it was going to fail last week. I have always kept regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc., just not at the dealership since it was further from my old residence. (Once we moved this year, Regal is close enough to start going). This is my 4th Nissan. I've always trusted this company, but now after almost getting into a serious collision in the middle of a busy intersection with my kids in the car, due to the transmission stalling on me, and Nissan saying they will do nothing about it, I will no longer have trust that Nissan is a reliable and dependable company. I have since filed a complaint with BBB and will be making my way down the line to include social media and media outlets. I am disturbed by the fact there would be nothing to be done in this matter.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I had purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima 3 years ago. It has approximately 75000 miles. Was just informed that there is some kind of recall on CVT programming for this transmission. My transmission is now shot and need to be replaced. The majority of consumers who purchased the 2013 Nissan Altima around the same mileage are having the same problem with the CVT transmission needing to be replaced. Nissan extended the warranty on Nissan Altima years 2003-2010 but won't do the same for the newer models. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I own a 2009 Nissan Altima. We have noticed in the past year if we go on a long trip driving over 60 mph it starts to make a whining noise. After driving over an hour the car starts to lose power. You will notice it more going up inclines. We had the Altima floored on flat road and the fastest it would go is 80 mph. We had it floored going up an incline and the fastest it would go is 50 mph.

I just recently put the Altima into the Nissan dealership for service. The day before my appointment I googled the problem and found out many more people with CVT transmissions are having the same exact problem! Nissan is aware so they extended the warranty on the transmission to 120,000 miles or 10 years. BUT they will not fix my problem because they said they cannot duplicate it!

I offered to take one of their drivers out for a long ride to duplicate the problem. They said I cannot do that. I don't know how Nissan can get away with this! I will never ever buy another Nissan! I am totally disgusted with this company. This is also a safety issue! I have read stories where the Nissan will only go 30 mph at times. With traffic flying around you this is not safe!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

2005 Altima SE v6, 100,00 miles warranty - Loved the car! However, Nissan, the company, is horrible and dirty. At 80,000 miles transmission failure. Yes! And they knew about the transmission problem before they marketed their product, now millions of us are left hanging. Never ever again will I buy another Nissan product! Never even heard of any results of the class action suit which started in 2011. I guess the attorneys made all the money.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima that had 7 miles when I got it. I've had the car 2 1/2 years and the transmission has gone out. I had to get it towed to the dealership and they are telling me now that I'm 3,000 miles over the expiration of the warranty it ended at 60,000 miles. Now my car is sitting there not to mention the $120 I have to pay for the diagnostic fee. They want me to pay $4400 to get it fixed. I don't know what to do because I can't trade it in and I have no help.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My 2012 Altima 3.5 has large amounts of paint just coming off the hood. Took this to various paint shops that said this is a Nissan problem and they did not apply the paint properly or they did not prime it properly. Now I have large patches of paint that keep flaking off. The Car looks terrible and Nissan will not do anything about it. Was told by the paint shop that it will only get worse.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima and Nissan did not do a recall. They just extended the warranty on a problem they have been having with their CVT Transmissions! The warranty is now 120,000 miles and I have 120,700. Looks like they did find out how long it takes for them to fail so that is why they go out of warranty at 120,000 miles. They have not fixed this issue and expect me to pay over $4000.00 to have them fix it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2017 Nissan Altima SR on 6/26/2017. On 7/10/17 my car would not start, turn or anything. I had to call Roadside assistance and have it towed. My car was towed to the dealership I purchased from and 4 days later it's still there WITHOUT a diagnosis. I absolutely love my car but I can't figure out how you purchase a car with 3 miles and 9 days later it will not start. I wouldn't dare say don't purchase a Nissan but I will say choose wisely.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have a 2008 Altima that I bought late 2012. Not even 6 months after I bought it the transmission went out on it. I was barely under warranty with the mileage, but Nissan replaced it with no problem in early 2013. I began experiencing transmission problems again recently. I knew the warranty was out, but I wanted to have Nissan check to be sure it was the transmission. I was told that when my transmission was replaced in 2013 the technician should have replaced the external cooler. He explained that since it wasn't replaced it is now causing the fluid to get too hot. At this point I am completely understanding that the technician at the same did not do everything that he was suppose to while replacing the transmission. When I was told that there was nothing that they could do I was offered the customer support number. I called and opened a case with Nissan.

The first person that I spoke with agreed with me that it sounded like it was the technician's fault and the transmission should now be replaced by Nissan at no charge since he did not do what he should have. I received a call later that day from a specialist stating that the manufacturer will not be providing any financial assistance due to the mileage and the warranty is out. I was not asking for financial assistance. If it is Nissan's mistake from not replacing the transmission cooler during the first transmission replacement then I should not have to pay anything seeing as this is not my fault that the transmission is slipping AGAIN.

She was not willing to work with me whatsoever. I feel like I have really been screwed over on this. A new transmission is more than what my car is worth. I have always bragged about how Nissan has treated me, but I am very dissatisfied with this experience. I will never buy another Nissan and will never give them another penny after this.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I bought a used 2013 Nissan Altima with 16,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. I had read about the complaints regarding the CVT transmission but disregarded them because what I believed that what is seen on these sites are the complaints about a product which doesn't necessarily give balanced information about the reliability and desirability of the product. Do I ever regret ever buying what was my first and what will be my last Nissan product. I was away on business when my transmission failed on my way to a meeting. The transmission failed without warning, none at all. The motor stopped and I restarted it and put the transmission in gear and the car would just shut off. I had the car towed to the local Nissan dealer who told me, a few days later, that my transmission was trashed.

He also told me that my "cheapest" option would be to have them install a rebuilt transmission for about $4200!!! As I was 100 miles from home I told them to go ahead and fix the vehicle. A day later when my business had been completed I was informed by Nissan that they would not be able to complete repairs until the following week. At that point I had to get home, so I went to a major rental company and ended up with a... Nissan Altima. As I was waiting for the car I had told the rental agent about the problem I had with my Altima. He told me that of all the vehicles they rented, it seemed that they had more Altimas towed out of their yard than any other vehicle! The point I'm trying to make is to stay away from this vehicle!!! You stand the chance that you will share the same experience that I did. My transmission died at 68,000 miles.

NO TRANSMISSION IN A VEHICLE MADE IN THIS DAY AND AGE SHOULD FAIL WITH THE FREQUENCY REPORTED ON THIS AND OTHER SITES! My previous 2 vehicles were Honda Accords both of which had 200,000 miles on them and both of which still ran well when I traded them in with no major repairs having been performed on them. While I don't feel that most any major corporations have much of a conscience regarding the reliability or safety of their products, it is puzzling that Nissan would continue to sell a vehicle with an unreliable transmission. How do they expect to stay in business selling such a defective product?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I purchased a 2009 Nissan Altima years back and was initially happy with it. At 54000 miles the CVT transmission blew and the dealership said it needed to be replaced. Okay, fine. The dealership replaced it with no cost to me and I assumed I was done with that headache. Well unfortunately I was wrong. Fast forward to recently on the highway. To make a long story short, the transmission blew again at 147000. So I know that Nissan has had campaigns on the CVT transmissions and extended the warranty to 120000 miles. After talking with customer service it seemed as though they were going to make right knowing the transmission only really had around 93000 miles on it. Got the call back that they reviewed my case and it was denied. Zero concern for my situation. No offer to pay for parts and I pay for labor. Nothing. Continuously shot me down on all my points.

Spoke to a supervisor who said she reviewed my case but couldn't even tell me how many miles were on my car. Told me that the conversation was not a negotiation and I would not change Nissan's decision. Please, take my advice and steer clear from purchasing Nissan. This is not a personal vendetta thing. This is staying away from a company that does not see customers, they see numbers. I have spared you from a lot of the back and forth with this company but trust me, I was battling with them with getting phone calls back, getting straight answers, getting through being on hold. Just save yourself the stress.

Original review: July 1, 2017

After driving a car on highway for more than half an hour, my car will make winding noise when I try to speed up. The rpm move up, but the car stay at 65 MPH. I have to stop a car for rest before it can go. If I continue to drive, my car will slow down to stop.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I bought a 2013 Nissan Altima from a car dealership and at the time bought what I thought was; a "bumper to bumper" policy. Last week my car got stuck in park, researched the internet to fix (band aid) the problem. Learned that this is a common problem. Took my car to a Nissan dealer today and learned that the warranty bought from JMA Group does not cover this problem. HOW CAN THAT BE?? The dealer gave me a price of $797 to fix the problem. So today I've called Nissan corp to talk to someone about getting this fixed. I was given a claim # and was told that someone will cb me tomorrow.

My gripe is with Wesley Chapel Toyota for not selling me what I was told that I was buying (bumper to bumper). I was told that the stupid USB port which didn't work from day one that the car was bought, that it would be no problem to have them fix under the insurance. I'm also irate that the car is known for these problems, I am really hoping that Nissan corp does the right thing here. I've had Nissan Maxima in the past and didn't have any problems.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima in August of 2016. 10 months later I'm having problems with the CVT Transmission. I would have to pay since my car is 3,000 miles over the warranty that they offer. I really think Nissan need to be held accountable for their cars since so many people are having problems with their vehicle. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this problem solve? I do not have $4,000 to pay to get a transmission since I'm still paying a car note every month too.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Am so disappointed. I bought Nissan with good faith and the dealer told me it's a good car for a senior with a low mechanic maintenance. I believed and trusted Nissan and I found out that I have to deal with problems: tires... last year it started to get sluggish. The last couple months it started slowing down and the dealership said there is nothing wrong with it. Now I have a problem with the TRANSMISSION!!! That suppose to be my retirement car now I have to buy another one. SO DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have a Nissan 2016, it has given me noise problem in the front, the suspension has changed, many parts of the front were the rack and pinion. I've gotten it 6 times to repair. NISSAN CORPORATION does not want to change the car. You assume that when you take a car to repair more than three times one qualifies to change the car or Nissan buy it. What remains is to seek the lawyers by lemon law. Which are the ones that take care of the defective cars.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Traded in my 2014 Altima lease 5 months early. Too many little things wrong with it. Every time I turned around it was another recall... a bar was hanging from the bottom of my car. Took it in. They told me it was nothing. They removed it and it should not happen again. They were wrong. It happened on the other side a few months later. Took it for an oil change and 100 point check. Had 28,000 miles on it and they told me I needed brakes. Over $200.00 it was gonna cost. When I told them that I got a lease so I would have to bother with that. I told them, "Do not touch car. I would take it to someone else". Then they said they weren't that bad.

Another car dealership bought me out of my lease 5 months early with 32,000 and I was allowed 45,000 miles on it. Lost money on that. The lease was paid up on April 10th until Sept. They still took money my out of my account for Oct. Didn't they see the lease was paid off. They said I should get the payment back within 7 to 10 days. I am hoping but doubt it. It took them 2 weeks to get a check to me when they bought my Versa in 2014.

Nissan Altima Company Information

Nissan
www.nissanusa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use