Nissan Altima
  • 1 star
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nissan Altima

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

770 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Well pretty much the same thing. Bought new Nissan Altima in 2013. My daughter was almost in tears clucking up the driveway. Said she was almost in a accident because something is wrong with her car. Just told by dealership that our transmission has failed! Really! Not even 90000 miles! And just made last payment. Congratulations Nissan! Looks like you’re losing customers for not admitting and correcting this problem. I was always a Nissan guy. Not anymore. Sadly.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I bought a 2013 a year ago and I hit 70,200 miles this morning and my transmission blew. I called a mechanic and when I told him my Nissan Altima transmission blew HE ASKED ME IF I HAD JUST HIT 70,000 miles! I should not have to pay for a new transmission. This is unacceptable and common among the mechanics I have spoke with, however Nissan will only repair if it's a 2010 or older. About a month ago I took it in for a transmission crankshaft portion sensor recall. I was so happy with Nissan and thought I would be a lifetime owner. Now I just hope I can get rid of this one and forget about Nissan altogether. Thanks for a wonderful 3500 expense at Christmas.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Having multiple problems. Replace camshaft and crankshaft sensors. There is recalls on 2003s for this serious issue but not my VIN. Bad Catholic System. There are recalls for the serious issue but not my VIN. Replace still having issues and now rattling. Burning oil Not leaking. There is recalls for this issues but not my VIN. They are not standing behind their product that I spent over 21K on now is turning out to be worthless and with very serious safety issues.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I have the car and I keep it in perfect condition most of the time but my car dash start melting and contact Nissan and the only thing want pay 50% of the cost. This manufacture mistake not mine and the car almost new except dash melting.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

For several times I have requested Nissan North America to assist me with my Nissan 2012 Altima CVT transmission replacement and a copy of my case file from Nissan consumer affairs. Case # **. My 2012 Nissan Altima VIN: **. Since when my car had 31,000 miles I explained Nissan that my car had problems with my transmission, no acceleration and winning as many other unhappy Nissan owners with CVT transmission, they told me "don't worry is normal." At that time I believe that.

Now my car CVT transmission broke down and they don't want to pay for my transmission, when I open my claim with Dylan from Nissan consumer affairs agent number ** on October 19, 2017. He told me to bring my car to Nissan Crown Motors in Redding California which is about 2 1/2 hours away from my house. I was worried about the money that Nissan roadside assistance will charge me for towing $314 which I paid but Dylan told me that they will reimburse me the money and as well diagnostic fee $120, now they denied my case.

They refused to pay me neither reimburse me what I paid for towing, they clearly know that my CVT transmission is defective but they don't want to pay for replacement. Also this car is dangerous because of the defective CVT sometimes will not accelerate or reduce the speed drastically. Now my car is in Redding California at Nissan Crown Motors dealer and I have no way to get it back. I asked several times for a copy of my case file but they refuse to provide me one. Please help me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I purchased my 2016 Nissan Altima SV brand new from Nissan of St. Charles, Illinois. One month after my purchase the radio completely died and needed to be replaced. It took Nissan one month to send a new unit to the dealership. Meanwhile, I had to drive a Nissan Versa (basically a golf cart) until my vehicle was repaired. At 50,000 miles the transmission started to have trouble up shifting. I took it to the dealership to be diagnosed and no codes appeared. This meant “nothing” could be done to address the issue.

At 59,995 miles the transmission failed completely. If it would have failed after 60,000 miles, I would have been out of luck. Fortunately, the dealership replaced the “valve assembly” and repaired the transmission. The staff at Nissan of St. Charles was great. However, I’m one of many Nissan Altima owners to have this problem. In my opinion, Nissan should extend the warranty for Altima owners or for any Nissans that are having this transmission problem. I will never trust the Nissan brand again. If I wanted this hassle, I would just buy another Ford. Lesson learned!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Transmission failed at 140,000 miles. Drive a lot of highway miles, am very disappointed in Nissan (2015 Altima), up to this point, really enjoyed the car. Now I am looking at a $3800 bill for a car that is less than 3 years old. Will never buy another Nissan.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I had recently opened a case with Nissan Corp in Franklin, TN regarding my failed transmission. I requested Goodwill Assistance on a transmission since a transmission is not supposed to fail at only 79k miles. A case specialist reached out to me today to let me know that Nissan has decided to do nothing regarding this issue. I then called Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told that because I don't have enough vehicle history at a dealership, they wouldn't assist even though my car is less than 20k over the warranty.

Nissan Regal in Roswell, GA told me that this kind of problem is an actual problem with the transmission itself and there would be no way to assess that it was going to fail last week. I have always kept regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc., just not at the dealership since it was further from my old residence. (Once we moved this year, Regal is close enough to start going). This is my 4th Nissan. I've always trusted this company, but now after almost getting into a serious collision in the middle of a busy intersection with my kids in the car, due to the transmission stalling on me, and Nissan saying they will do nothing about it, I will no longer have trust that Nissan is a reliable and dependable company. I have since filed a complaint with BBB and will be making my way down the line to include social media and media outlets. I am disturbed by the fact there would be nothing to be done in this matter.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I had purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima 3 years ago. It has approximately 75000 miles. Was just informed that there is some kind of recall on CVT programming for this transmission. My transmission is now shot and need to be replaced. The majority of consumers who purchased the 2013 Nissan Altima around the same mileage are having the same problem with the CVT transmission needing to be replaced. Nissan extended the warranty on Nissan Altima years 2003-2010 but won't do the same for the newer models. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I own a 2009 Nissan Altima. We have noticed in the past year if we go on a long trip driving over 60 mph it starts to make a whining noise. After driving over an hour the car starts to lose power. You will notice it more going up inclines. We had the Altima floored on flat road and the fastest it would go is 80 mph. We had it floored going up an incline and the fastest it would go is 50 mph.

I just recently put the Altima into the Nissan dealership for service. The day before my appointment I googled the problem and found out many more people with CVT transmissions are having the same exact problem! Nissan is aware so they extended the warranty on the transmission to 120,000 miles or 10 years. BUT they will not fix my problem because they said they cannot duplicate it!

I offered to take one of their drivers out for a long ride to duplicate the problem. They said I cannot do that. I don't know how Nissan can get away with this! I will never ever buy another Nissan! I am totally disgusted with this company. This is also a safety issue! I have read stories where the Nissan will only go 30 mph at times. With traffic flying around you this is not safe!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

2005 Altima SE v6, 100,00 miles warranty - Loved the car! However, Nissan, the company, is horrible and dirty. At 80,000 miles transmission failure. Yes! And they knew about the transmission problem before they marketed their product, now millions of us are left hanging. Never ever again will I buy another Nissan product! Never even heard of any results of the class action suit which started in 2011. I guess the attorneys made all the money.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima that had 7 miles when I got it. I've had the car 2 1/2 years and the transmission has gone out. I had to get it towed to the dealership and they are telling me now that I'm 3,000 miles over the expiration of the warranty it ended at 60,000 miles. Now my car is sitting there not to mention the $120 I have to pay for the diagnostic fee. They want me to pay $4400 to get it fixed. I don't know what to do because I can't trade it in and I have no help.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My 2012 Altima 3.5 has large amounts of paint just coming off the hood. Took this to various paint shops that said this is a Nissan problem and they did not apply the paint properly or they did not prime it properly. Now I have large patches of paint that keep flaking off. The Car looks terrible and Nissan will not do anything about it. Was told by the paint shop that it will only get worse.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima and Nissan did not do a recall. They just extended the warranty on a problem they have been having with their CVT Transmissions! The warranty is now 120,000 miles and I have 120,700. Looks like they did find out how long it takes for them to fail so that is why they go out of warranty at 120,000 miles. They have not fixed this issue and expect me to pay over $4000.00 to have them fix it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2017 Nissan Altima SR on 6/26/2017. On 7/10/17 my car would not start, turn or anything. I had to call Roadside assistance and have it towed. My car was towed to the dealership I purchased from and 4 days later it's still there WITHOUT a diagnosis. I absolutely love my car but I can't figure out how you purchase a car with 3 miles and 9 days later it will not start. I wouldn't dare say don't purchase a Nissan but I will say choose wisely.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have a 2008 Altima that I bought late 2012. Not even 6 months after I bought it the transmission went out on it. I was barely under warranty with the mileage, but Nissan replaced it with no problem in early 2013. I began experiencing transmission problems again recently. I knew the warranty was out, but I wanted to have Nissan check to be sure it was the transmission. I was told that when my transmission was replaced in 2013 the technician should have replaced the external cooler. He explained that since it wasn't replaced it is now causing the fluid to get too hot. At this point I am completely understanding that the technician at the same did not do everything that he was suppose to while replacing the transmission. When I was told that there was nothing that they could do I was offered the customer support number. I called and opened a case with Nissan.

The first person that I spoke with agreed with me that it sounded like it was the technician's fault and the transmission should now be replaced by Nissan at no charge since he did not do what he should have. I received a call later that day from a specialist stating that the manufacturer will not be providing any financial assistance due to the mileage and the warranty is out. I was not asking for financial assistance. If it is Nissan's mistake from not replacing the transmission cooler during the first transmission replacement then I should not have to pay anything seeing as this is not my fault that the transmission is slipping AGAIN.

She was not willing to work with me whatsoever. I feel like I have really been screwed over on this. A new transmission is more than what my car is worth. I have always bragged about how Nissan has treated me, but I am very dissatisfied with this experience. I will never buy another Nissan and will never give them another penny after this.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I bought a used 2013 Nissan Altima with 16,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. I had read about the complaints regarding the CVT transmission but disregarded them because what I believed that what is seen on these sites are the complaints about a product which doesn't necessarily give balanced information about the reliability and desirability of the product. Do I ever regret ever buying what was my first and what will be my last Nissan product. I was away on business when my transmission failed on my way to a meeting. The transmission failed without warning, none at all. The motor stopped and I restarted it and put the transmission in gear and the car would just shut off. I had the car towed to the local Nissan dealer who told me, a few days later, that my transmission was trashed.

He also told me that my "cheapest" option would be to have them install a rebuilt transmission for about $4200!!! As I was 100 miles from home I told them to go ahead and fix the vehicle. A day later when my business had been completed I was informed by Nissan that they would not be able to complete repairs until the following week. At that point I had to get home, so I went to a major rental company and ended up with a... Nissan Altima. As I was waiting for the car I had told the rental agent about the problem I had with my Altima. He told me that of all the vehicles they rented, it seemed that they had more Altimas towed out of their yard than any other vehicle! The point I'm trying to make is to stay away from this vehicle!!! You stand the chance that you will share the same experience that I did. My transmission died at 68,000 miles.

NO TRANSMISSION IN A VEHICLE MADE IN THIS DAY AND AGE SHOULD FAIL WITH THE FREQUENCY REPORTED ON THIS AND OTHER SITES! My previous 2 vehicles were Honda Accords both of which had 200,000 miles on them and both of which still ran well when I traded them in with no major repairs having been performed on them. While I don't feel that most any major corporations have much of a conscience regarding the reliability or safety of their products, it is puzzling that Nissan would continue to sell a vehicle with an unreliable transmission. How do they expect to stay in business selling such a defective product?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I purchased a 2009 Nissan Altima years back and was initially happy with it. At 54000 miles the CVT transmission blew and the dealership said it needed to be replaced. Okay, fine. The dealership replaced it with no cost to me and I assumed I was done with that headache. Well unfortunately I was wrong. Fast forward to recently on the highway. To make a long story short, the transmission blew again at 147000. So I know that Nissan has had campaigns on the CVT transmissions and extended the warranty to 120000 miles. After talking with customer service it seemed as though they were going to make right knowing the transmission only really had around 93000 miles on it. Got the call back that they reviewed my case and it was denied. Zero concern for my situation. No offer to pay for parts and I pay for labor. Nothing. Continuously shot me down on all my points.

Spoke to a supervisor who said she reviewed my case but couldn't even tell me how many miles were on my car. Told me that the conversation was not a negotiation and I would not change Nissan's decision. Please, take my advice and steer clear from purchasing Nissan. This is not a personal vendetta thing. This is staying away from a company that does not see customers, they see numbers. I have spared you from a lot of the back and forth with this company but trust me, I was battling with them with getting phone calls back, getting straight answers, getting through being on hold. Just save yourself the stress.

Original review: July 1, 2017

After driving a car on highway for more than half an hour, my car will make winding noise when I try to speed up. The rpm move up, but the car stay at 65 MPH. I have to stop a car for rest before it can go. If I continue to drive, my car will slow down to stop.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I bought a 2013 Nissan Altima from a car dealership and at the time bought what I thought was; a "bumper to bumper" policy. Last week my car got stuck in park, researched the internet to fix (band aid) the problem. Learned that this is a common problem. Took my car to a Nissan dealer today and learned that the warranty bought from JMA Group does not cover this problem. HOW CAN THAT BE?? The dealer gave me a price of $797 to fix the problem. So today I've called Nissan corp to talk to someone about getting this fixed. I was given a claim # and was told that someone will cb me tomorrow.

My gripe is with Wesley Chapel Toyota for not selling me what I was told that I was buying (bumper to bumper). I was told that the stupid USB port which didn't work from day one that the car was bought, that it would be no problem to have them fix under the insurance. I'm also irate that the car is known for these problems, I am really hoping that Nissan corp does the right thing here. I've had Nissan Maxima in the past and didn't have any problems.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima in August of 2016. 10 months later I'm having problems with the CVT Transmission. I would have to pay since my car is 3,000 miles over the warranty that they offer. I really think Nissan need to be held accountable for their cars since so many people are having problems with their vehicle. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this problem solve? I do not have $4,000 to pay to get a transmission since I'm still paying a car note every month too.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Am so disappointed. I bought Nissan with good faith and the dealer told me it's a good car for a senior with a low mechanic maintenance. I believed and trusted Nissan and I found out that I have to deal with problems: tires... last year it started to get sluggish. The last couple months it started slowing down and the dealership said there is nothing wrong with it. Now I have a problem with the TRANSMISSION!!! That suppose to be my retirement car now I have to buy another one. SO DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have a Nissan 2016, it has given me noise problem in the front, the suspension has changed, many parts of the front were the rack and pinion. I've gotten it 6 times to repair. NISSAN CORPORATION does not want to change the car. You assume that when you take a car to repair more than three times one qualifies to change the car or Nissan buy it. What remains is to seek the lawyers by lemon law. Which are the ones that take care of the defective cars.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Traded in my 2014 Altima lease 5 months early. Too many little things wrong with it. Every time I turned around it was another recall... a bar was hanging from the bottom of my car. Took it in. They told me it was nothing. They removed it and it should not happen again. They were wrong. It happened on the other side a few months later. Took it for an oil change and 100 point check. Had 28,000 miles on it and they told me I needed brakes. Over $200.00 it was gonna cost. When I told them that I got a lease so I would have to bother with that. I told them, "Do not touch car. I would take it to someone else". Then they said they weren't that bad.

Another car dealership bought me out of my lease 5 months early with 32,000 and I was allowed 45,000 miles on it. Lost money on that. The lease was paid up on April 10th until Sept. They still took money my out of my account for Oct. Didn't they see the lease was paid off. They said I should get the payment back within 7 to 10 days. I am hoping but doubt it. It took them 2 weeks to get a check to me when they bought my Versa in 2014.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I have a Nissan Altima 2009. Paid cash, had it ordered and the first year my transmission went out. Last year my car locked up 1100$. Now 8 years later transmission is going out again. My Toyota never had any of these problems. My sister owns a Nissan also. 2nd year transmission goes out... I will never own another!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I got a brand new 2017 Nissan Altima S on the last day of January. To be honest I was pretty happy with the car. The gas mileage was pretty good and the drive smooth. Three weeks into the lease the check engine light goes on and I feel something is off when I push the gas pedal. When giving gas the car wasn't responding the way it was supposed to. There had to be something wrong with the transmission I thought. I panicked and went to the nearest dealership so they could take a look at it. I spent four hours at the dealership waiting for them to diagnose my car. In the end they said there was nothing wrong with the car and they restarted the car's computer. I knew this didn't make any sense and I didn't want to return anytime soon with the same problem.

I told my service advisor that this was not acceptable. I didn't want to come back in a month because of the same problem. How would restarting the computer help? She was persistent saying that the problem would not arise again and that if it did she would take care of me and everything would work out quickly. It didn't. About 2 months later the check engine light was back and so was the unresponsiveness of the transmission. At this point I was beyond pissed off having to deal with the same problem for a brand new car that I only had for 3 months. I went back to the same dealership and that service advisor wasn't there that day. Someone else took care of me and I explained the entire situation to him.

Before giving up my keys I made sure to confirm that if something was wrong with the car and was covered under the warranty that I would get a different vehicle while my car was under repair. I was told many times that I had nothing to worry about and they would take care of me. Close to five hours later, once again, the car was finally diagnosed. And guess what the problem was... THE TRANSMISSION! They said it is covered under the warranty but it'll take close to a week to fix since they need to order a new transmission for me. When I ask for a loaner car or a rental the service advisor looks at me and says with a straight face "We can't give you any car sorry."

I asked him why he told me before that I could get one. And what was I supposed to do without a car for a week. I am paying for the lease and I should have a car to use for the money that I'm paying. He plainly replied with "I'm sorry but you have to go to the dealership where you got your car from and there they'll give you a loaner car or rental." I left the place with my car with the broken transmission. I had spent a total of 10 hours at this place and I still could not get my car fixed!!

I ended up calling Nissan corporate offices and told them my story. They opened a case and unneeded to wait for someone to call me back. It took a couple of days to finally get something to get in contact with me. After we finally got in touch I told them the entire story. The lady was confused as to why this dealership would do what they did and not help me with a loaner car since a bad transmission will obviously take a while to fix (especially since it's a 2017 car they don't even have it in stock at the dealerships because it's brand spanking new and it's not supposed to have these problems).

After a week of waiting and a few phone calls I was finally told that I could go to a rental company and get a rental and would be reimbursed most of the money for the rental cost. I finally took my car into the dealership for repair today and got my rental car. The amount of ** that I went through just to get my car fixed was not fair and not right. I was talked to with attitude by most of the staff at the dealership and the first time they just sent me away without fixing the problem. I am very unhappy with Nissan and would not recommend them at all to anyone! BUYER BEWARE!!

Original review: April 10, 2017

One cold night in December 2016, Milwaukee, WI my son was driving from school back home to Green Bay, WI. He stop at a gas station to get something to drink, to his dismay the car (Nissan Altima 2009) wouldn't start. He tried desperately to restart the engine but the ESCL had locked on him. My son now is stranded 100 miles from home. At 1:00 am I was awaken by his phone call. I was upset at the situation and worried about him. We spend money having the car towed to the nearest town. He had to find a place to stay over till I was able to pick him up the next afternoon. I had to take time off from work to do so. We paid $1012.78 for repairs at the Nissan dealership, and $77.08 for towing services.

You bet I am submitting a claim for reimbursement Nissan! I only wish that you could compensate if not for my anguish, but for putting my son in a terrible situation. You were aware of this problems with the Altima 2009, yet you chose to do nothing till many people your customers were stranded. I own a 2015 Altima also, and I can assure you, I will never be back to purchase another Nissan.

Original review: April 10, 2017

Soon after purchase my (new) Altima the car died and was towed to the dealer. The battery replaced at my expense. This happened three more times. I called Nissan USA and the response was "I have decided not to honor your claim." or something to that effect. Great car but the arrogance on the part of Nissan was difficult to swallow. I have to buy another car while still paying off this one.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I purchased my car in May of 2007. First 3-4 years were great. Only had typical maintenance and repairs. But around 2012 I started noticing a louder engine. Was told as others, "That's how the it sounds because it's older and nothing is wrong." Then from there my catalytic converter went out. I was totally shocked. From there it's been one repair after another each year. From AC compressor, spark plug replacements twice because of misfires, two engine mounts and a much louder engine to the point I put in neutral to quiet it down. Starting car in cold it sounds like it's being tortured but when it's warm sounds like a champ on start up.

Now I'm grateful because many of my issues happened after 100,000 compared to others. I've owned Nissans since I was 19. Now I'm in my 40's and I barely took care of my other Nissan cars when I was younger and had less issues but this car I kept on top of maintenance and repairs and to have these common major repair costs year after year are tiring. So after reading the other horror stories about transmissions going out and other issues experienced by others, I decided to get a new car and it definitely is not a Nissan. Because based on symptoms I've read, that's next. There should definitely be a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The WORST car buying experience EVER!!! In late 2015 I bought what I thought was brand new fully loaded Nissan Altima. What I got was a safety hazard that had 2 previous accidents and was sold to me as new. The car has defective brakes and I ended up in an accident as well. I will not drive the car anymore because even after taking it to the dealership they indicated the brakes were fine and when I drove it the brakes failed again. So I am paying for a car I can't drive!!!

Nissan Altima Company Information