2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

4.0/5 (584 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Nissan Altima

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Altima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought this car about a little more than three years ago.. I was on my way the shore it's about 2 hour drive. Well on my trip all my lights came on. The dash sounded like it was gonna blow up. And Nissan won't help cause the cvt recall I'm over by 14000 miles. And they won't help.. I will never ever buy a Nissan again. And everyone I know I will tell them all about nissan not wanting to help.. They just don't care!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

My 2012 Nissan Altima has had the same problem since 2014 that none of the Nissan dealers have been able to properly diagnose or fix. Even under warranty they could not figure out why my car just kept randomly dying on me. Now that the extended warranty that I purchased from them has run out and after lots of visits to try to solve the issue, the company has left me out in the cold with no solutions and no help. I will never purchase another Nissan again!! The WORST customer service ever!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Bought a 2017 Nissan Altima that only had 17,000 miles on it. Owned the car for 2 years with no issues and kept up on all of the maintenance. One day my check engine light comes on and my car starts acting like it doesn’t want to move forward. I take it to the dealership and the code that comes back is for the transmission and it says “total failure” and it’s going to cost me $4300 to fix. The car only had 73,000 miles on it at this point and is only 4 years old. How in the world does it already need a new transmission?

I looked up the reviews on Google and apparently a LOT of these nissans have a CVT transmission that have this issue. I’m not paying 4300 for them to put the exact same kind of transmission in this car so that in another 7000 miles I’m going to need another one. Moral of the story- don’t buy this car. It’s nice and comfortable but that’s the only pros. It’s not worth having to pay for a new transmission every 60-100k miles. Or worse, wreck with your children in the car.

Original review: July 2, 2021

My Nissan Altima CVT failed at 65K miles. If you are familiar with the quality of Nissan, that shouldn't be a surprise. I took my car to Nissan in June 2021 because the CVT failed in November of 2020 during the pandemic with only 65K miles. While the car was 19K miles under the mileage limit for warranty coverage, Nissan refused to cover any of the expense because the time limit expired December 2020. I reminded Nissan that the end of 2020 was during the height of the pandemic when vaccines didn’t exist, COVID was spreading uncontrollably and CDC guidelines advised people not to leave home except in an emergency. So I waited until I could get vaccinated and safely take the car for repair.

Nissan said I should have brought the car in during the pandemic. Apparently Nissan isn't concerned about the spread of COVID or the impact on the communities in which it operates, but rather only on corporate profits. I've owned 3 Nissan automobiles, and the quality of each one was worse than the car before it. Now it's finally time to move away from Nissan. Unless you enjoy spending lots of money on repairs and hanging out for hours/days in service departments, I would strongly advise you to purchase anything other than a Nissan. As an example, look at the photo of the grease they put in my car interior during the 17 days they had it and then tried to return it to me.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

My Nissan 2020 Altima sr AWD has been in the shop and still not fixed. The trunk leaks, Headliner is coming down, windshield cracked on the driver side bottom corner, Makes funny noises and smell gasoline from a busted gas line leak, Scratch in the back passenger door jam sensors are going off and on intermittently and the dealership refuses to help resolve the problem. I have less than 9000 miles on my car and have more issues with it and still not able to get Nissan to fix my car... It’s a showroom car 2020 Nissan Altima sr AWD fully loaded top of line. Crap!!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

While Nissan of Turnersville and Nissan Corporate have in the past engaged in a business model of putting profit over our customer safety, they have now escalated their rein to include intentional and attempted infliction of personal harm, or even death, to unsuspecting customers such as ourselves. This assessment and allegation is being made after repeated telephone conversations and in-person discussions with both Nissan of Turnersville representatives, as well as representatives from Nissan Corporate. There are 2 extremely egregious and possibly even one illegal wrongdoing being alleged here against the franchise Nissan of Turnersville, and that of Nissan Corporate.

A) involves an issue which could kill both my husband and myself every time we get into our Altima (the severity of which Nissan of Turnersville and Nissan Corporate were completely and totally apprised of in every aspect, both by past lawsuits and customer presentations), which involves a powering down and stalling issue that randomly occurs in the middle of intersections, only resolvable by having to start the vehicle no less than 3 times before being able to move it; and B) involves Nissan calling us 2 months later to “discuss your last service appointment” -- when we took the call, thinking they wanted to repair the stalling issue, they instead attempted to “smoke tickets” over the phone, a term used in the industry where the service tech tries to upsell very expensive services that are not needed. I will explain each issue below.

We own a 2013 Nissan Altima, which has a random stalling issue, as described above. It’s absolutely terrifying each time it happens, as it randomly stalls no less than 2 or 3 times in a row, while cars and trucks barrel by! It’s a frantic scenario and you’re left sitting there to hope that it will start before you can get clobbered. Our highly skilled auto mechanic checked the car out twice to resolve the issue, to no avail.

I then called Nissan, who stated they were not familiar with any such problems, but that for $125, they could do a diagnostic check. I then decided to do a google check for “Stalling Issues with 2013 Nissan Altimas” – and I found hundreds of complaints with the same problem we had! The cause was in an experimental transmission called Pure Drive, and the only fix to the problem was to replace the transmission.

I also found out about a lawsuit filed by someone named Christopher ** in September of 2018, who had the same stalling issue and was met with the same rudeness and uncaring attitude from Nissan as we had been when trying to look for a resolution to this dangerous problem (like we asked for this!) It turned into a Class Action lawsuit and an out-of-court settlement had been reached, with Nissan agreeing to pay for the full repair of these stalling issues until March 30, 2020. I brought our car in on June 1st, totally unaware of this deadline at the time, and because of that, our lives were deemed less valuable than the lives of those customers whose transmissions Nissan did agree to fix! We had no way of knowing about this settlement or lawsuit, so our disadvantage turned into their monetary advantage.

I wrote a caveat on my invoice when we picked up our unrepaired Altima, stating that I was picking up the car in protest, with a detailed explanation of why, including how Nissan refused to repair the life-threatening problem in our vehicle even though they were fully aware what the cause of the stalling was. We have copied this statement and put it with our Wills, in the event we get killed or maimed in a car wreck due to our Nissan’s faulty transmission issues. Our children have been made aware of all this, as well.

With regards to the smoking ticket issue, the Nissan service rep told me when we called back, that our car needed a new front end suspension and was leaking fluid (call was recorded). When I told him there were no stains on our driveway, he stated, "well maybe it isn't leaking now but it will be" -- this is what we're dealing with when dealing with Nissan! Never again!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I wish I would have read these consumer reports before purchasing my 2014 Nissan Altima. Please heed the warnings of past Altima users in regards to the CVT!!!! I bought my Altima at 75,000 miles and its CVT bunked out at 89,000. I was 4K miles over the warranty so Laura, the customer service representative assigned to my case, denied helping me pay for any of the $6,500 repair costs. Laura was extremely robotic and rude on the phone. She was not sympathetic at all to my situation of losing my job just as the pandemic hit. To add insult to injury, I spent some of my last dimes sinking money into other car parts and system repairs as I scrambled to find out what was REALLY going on with my Altima.

Shame on you Laura and shame on you Nissan. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan because of the downright CRUEL way in which Nissan does not take responsibility for their screw ups, actions, or happiness/dissatisfaction of customers. At this point, they are KNOWINGLY selling lemons to honest, hardworking people. If someone goes into a dealership asking to buy an Altima, they should run a CVT test immediately and be UPFRONT with the status of all of their defective cars of the same variety.

I wish I could give negative 100 stars. Nissan is truly the most crooked company I have come in contact with to date. Their brand integrity is extremely compromised and I am positive they will see a diminishment in brand loyalty. My friends and family tell me I should take the necessary steps to sue this company, and I believe I will look into that immediately.

Guaranteed no one in my circle will buy from Nissan ever again. We are all disgusted by this company’s lack of ethics. I will make sure if anyone around me is searching for a car they know about this ordeal and to stay far, far away from this stingy company. If you are considering buying an Altima or any other Nissan vehicle, please take this message as a warning and DO NOT DO IT. Save yourself the headaches and emotional turmoil.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Less than 100,000 miles was our first issue with transmission. Have milked it along but can only drive in town. Once I’m on the freeway for any length of time the transmission starts to overheat and I lose power. Of course I have contacted Nissan and they won’t do a thing. This is at least a $3000 fix and their company knows that their transmissions are bad. They should replace them for little to no cost for their consumer but they won’t. I do not recommend that anyone buys a Nissan product and I will never purchase a Nissan product again!

Original review: July 30, 2020

Nissan had a recall in its 2016 Altimas because of transmission issues. When I call them about it around April 2019 they stated that there was not a known issue with their transmissions when I called customer service. Now it is July 2020 and they were in a class action lawsuit stating that people with this vehicle need to bring the car in because of transmission issues. Unfortunately now I am outside of “their” mileage range, so they will not take any responsibility for a problem they knew about but would not share with it consumers even though everyone online discussed it in numerous forums and blogs.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have a 2018 Nissan Altima SV that I bought brand new in May 2018. I am a highway driver and work in DC and live 20 minutes outside Downtown Baltimore, MD. Because I commute to work by driving and I have traveled out of state with it, I have 62,000 miles on my car. I have taken my car, routinely, for oil changes and maintenance and keep all receipts. I recently got an oil change at Nissan on 06/15/2020 and new tires on my car on 06/18/2020. So my car has been great (to my knowledge) until the last week or so.

On Thursday, 07/09/2020 I got in my car and tried to start it and I got the message "Key ID Incorrect" which was interesting because I was able to unlock and lock the car and even power it on. After a while my S/O came and said, "Let's try and see if it's the battery." So when we opened the hood of the car and looked at the battery there was a ton of corrosion on the battery. Well we were able to "jump" the battery and get the car started. Took the car back to the dealership and had a complete battery service on the car for free because they told me my battery was fine and good at the time of service but in fact was not. Then they had to replace the battery because it was dead. And this battery was only 2 years old.

Then Friday, 07/17/20 while on 95 NB to NYC to see my family, I started noticing something very strange with the RPM on my car. It was jumping up to 3-4 RPM like I was accelerating but I in fact was not. So I thought it might have been a computer glitch from when I started the car back up after filling up the gas tank (from half to full) for the road trip. So I pulled over in DE at a rest stop, turned the car off for about 5 minutes and then restarted. So, I get back on 95 NB and proceed. Then it got worse! We were on the DE bridge (if anyone knows that bridge you would know that's not a place for this to happen). The car didn't really want to accelerate up that bridge and there was only 2 lanes because there is currently construction on the bridge. So we make it over the bridge and get to the NJ turnpike.

As I am on the phone (using Carplay) talking to my S/O father, I just got my turnpike ticket and the car wouldn't MOVE AT ALL! So now I am nervous and scared because I am in the middle of the road and the car isn't trying to go forward from a stop. So as I am attempting to move the car over to the shoulder the car starts to accelerate again, so we are like, "Okay, let's get to NYC and we will figure it out there what to do." So the car seems to get itself together the longer we are on the turnpike. My S/O dad said it may have been bad gas. So we get to the Woodrow Wilson Service Stop (which I usually do) and go in, come back out, and try to drive the car over to the service area to get Octane Buster for the gas to see if that resolves the issue. NOPE! THE CAR DOES NOT GO FORWARD OR BACKWARDS! The dang transmission WENT OUT! WTH!

I have had 16 cars (DJM lol) in my life and NEVER had anything like this happen but from the very 1st car that I had that had almost 200,000 miles on it. This is a 2018 NISSAN ALTIMA with only 60K on it! THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING! Me and my sister were STUCK on the NJ turnpike! Thank GOD we have AAA Premier Membership! First of all, if you ever break down on the turnpike just know that your towing service cannot tow you from the turnpike, NJ Turnpike Authorities have to tow you first WHICH IS A SEPARATE TOWING FEE! Then your tow service will tow you from there which is ANOTHER FEE! This was ALL FREE because I have AAA. If you don't have it I HIGHLY recommend you getting it!

Anyway, I had my car towed from NJ back to Baltimore, MD to the NISSAN dealership, I contacted the Service Manager IMMEDIATELY when it first happened and she is on top of this because I AM NOT PLAYING AT ALL WITH NISSAN! I am a single mother of 3 and am supposed to have a reliable car! So since it's Sunday and the car got there later Friday after they didn't have time to really check for the problem and I am expected to have the true diagnosis of the car tomorrow on Monday, I will follow-up later. But this is the worse experience I have ever had with a "new" car.

My drama didn't end there though because the rental car that I was given from Hertz in NJ that I had to take an Uber for, battery died in NYC! But "jump started" that car and at least made it back to Baltimore safely and had to exchange that rental car for another one yesterday. Hopefully my life will calm down once Nissan fixes this issue. If anyone else has an transmission issues with a 2018 Altima please share! I would appreciate to hear your experience. Thanks!

Nissan Altima Company Information