2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.06/5

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Nissan Altima Shop Now on Rydeshopper
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Shop Now on Rydeshopper

Nissan Altima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

My Nissan 2020 Altima sr AWD has been in the shop and still not fixed. The trunk leaks, Headliner is coming down, windshield cracked on the driver side bottom corner, Makes funny noises and smell gasoline from a busted gas line leak, Scratch in the back passenger door jam sensors are going off and on intermittently and the dealership refuses to help resolve the problem. I have less than 9000 miles on my car and have more issues with it and still not able to get Nissan to fix my car... It’s a showroom car 2020 Nissan Altima sr AWD fully loaded top of line. Crap!!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

While Nissan of Turnersville and Nissan Corporate have in the past engaged in a business model of putting profit over our customer safety, they have now escalated their rein to include intentional and attempted infliction of personal harm, or even death, to unsuspecting customers such as ourselves. This assessment and allegation is being made after repeated telephone conversations and in-person discussions with both Nissan of Turnersville representatives, as well as representatives from Nissan Corporate. There are 2 extremely egregious and possibly even one illegal wrongdoing being alleged here against the franchise Nissan of Turnersville, and that of Nissan Corporate.

A) involves an issue which could kill both my husband and myself every time we get into our Altima (the severity of which Nissan of Turnersville and Nissan Corporate were completely and totally apprised of in every aspect, both by past lawsuits and customer presentations), which involves a powering down and stalling issue that randomly occurs in the middle of intersections, only resolvable by having to start the vehicle no less than 3 times before being able to move it; and B) involves Nissan calling us 2 months later to “discuss your last service appointment” -- when we took the call, thinking they wanted to repair the stalling issue, they instead attempted to “smoke tickets” over the phone, a term used in the industry where the service tech tries to upsell very expensive services that are not needed. I will explain each issue below.

We own a 2013 Nissan Altima, which has a random stalling issue, as described above. It’s absolutely terrifying each time it happens, as it randomly stalls no less than 2 or 3 times in a row, while cars and trucks barrel by! It’s a frantic scenario and you’re left sitting there to hope that it will start before you can get clobbered. Our highly skilled auto mechanic checked the car out twice to resolve the issue, to no avail.

I then called Nissan, who stated they were not familiar with any such problems, but that for $125, they could do a diagnostic check. I then decided to do a google check for “Stalling Issues with 2013 Nissan Altimas” – and I found hundreds of complaints with the same problem we had! The cause was in an experimental transmission called Pure Drive, and the only fix to the problem was to replace the transmission.

I also found out about a lawsuit filed by someone named Christopher ** in September of 2018, who had the same stalling issue and was met with the same rudeness and uncaring attitude from Nissan as we had been when trying to look for a resolution to this dangerous problem (like we asked for this!) It turned into a Class Action lawsuit and an out-of-court settlement had been reached, with Nissan agreeing to pay for the full repair of these stalling issues until March 30, 2020. I brought our car in on June 1st, totally unaware of this deadline at the time, and because of that, our lives were deemed less valuable than the lives of those customers whose transmissions Nissan did agree to fix! We had no way of knowing about this settlement or lawsuit, so our disadvantage turned into their monetary advantage.

I wrote a caveat on my invoice when we picked up our unrepaired Altima, stating that I was picking up the car in protest, with a detailed explanation of why, including how Nissan refused to repair the life-threatening problem in our vehicle even though they were fully aware what the cause of the stalling was. We have copied this statement and put it with our Wills, in the event we get killed or maimed in a car wreck due to our Nissan’s faulty transmission issues. Our children have been made aware of all this, as well.

With regards to the smoking ticket issue, the Nissan service rep told me when we called back, that our car needed a new front end suspension and was leaking fluid (call was recorded). When I told him there were no stains on our driveway, he stated, "well maybe it isn't leaking now but it will be" -- this is what we're dealing with when dealing with Nissan! Never again!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I wish I would have read these consumer reports before purchasing my 2014 Nissan Altima. Please heed the warnings of past Altima users in regards to the CVT!!!! I bought my Altima at 75,000 miles and its CVT bunked out at 89,000. I was 4K miles over the warranty so Laura, the customer service representative assigned to my case, denied helping me pay for any of the $6,500 repair costs. Laura was extremely robotic and rude on the phone. She was not sympathetic at all to my situation of losing my job just as the pandemic hit. To add insult to injury, I spent some of my last dimes sinking money into other car parts and system repairs as I scrambled to find out what was REALLY going on with my Altima.

Shame on you Laura and shame on you Nissan. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan because of the downright CRUEL way in which Nissan does not take responsibility for their screw ups, actions, or happiness/dissatisfaction of customers. At this point, they are KNOWINGLY selling lemons to honest, hardworking people. If someone goes into a dealership asking to buy an Altima, they should run a CVT test immediately and be UPFRONT with the status of all of their defective cars of the same variety.

I wish I could give negative 100 stars. Nissan is truly the most crooked company I have come in contact with to date. Their brand integrity is extremely compromised and I am positive they will see a diminishment in brand loyalty. My friends and family tell me I should take the necessary steps to sue this company, and I believe I will look into that immediately.

Guaranteed no one in my circle will buy from Nissan ever again. We are all disgusted by this company’s lack of ethics. I will make sure if anyone around me is searching for a car they know about this ordeal and to stay far, far away from this stingy company. If you are considering buying an Altima or any other Nissan vehicle, please take this message as a warning and DO NOT DO IT. Save yourself the headaches and emotional turmoil.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Less than 100,000 miles was our first issue with transmission. Have milked it along but can only drive in town. Once I’m on the freeway for any length of time the transmission starts to overheat and I lose power. Of course I have contacted Nissan and they won’t do a thing. This is at least a $3000 fix and their company knows that their transmissions are bad. They should replace them for little to no cost for their consumer but they won’t. I do not recommend that anyone buys a Nissan product and I will never purchase a Nissan product again!

Original review: July 30, 2020

Nissan had a recall in its 2016 Altimas because of transmission issues. When I call them about it around April 2019 they stated that there was not a known issue with their transmissions when I called customer service. Now it is July 2020 and they were in a class action lawsuit stating that people with this vehicle need to bring the car in because of transmission issues. Unfortunately now I am outside of “their” mileage range, so they will not take any responsibility for a problem they knew about but would not share with it consumers even though everyone online discussed it in numerous forums and blogs.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have a 2018 Nissan Altima SV that I bought brand new in May 2018. I am a highway driver and work in DC and live 20 minutes outside Downtown Baltimore, MD. Because I commute to work by driving and I have traveled out of state with it, I have 62,000 miles on my car. I have taken my car, routinely, for oil changes and maintenance and keep all receipts. I recently got an oil change at Nissan on 06/15/2020 and new tires on my car on 06/18/2020. So my car has been great (to my knowledge) until the last week or so.

On Thursday, 07/09/2020 I got in my car and tried to start it and I got the message "Key ID Incorrect" which was interesting because I was able to unlock and lock the car and even power it on. After a while my S/O came and said, "Let's try and see if it's the battery." So when we opened the hood of the car and looked at the battery there was a ton of corrosion on the battery. Well we were able to "jump" the battery and get the car started. Took the car back to the dealership and had a complete battery service on the car for free because they told me my battery was fine and good at the time of service but in fact was not. Then they had to replace the battery because it was dead. And this battery was only 2 years old.

Then Friday, 07/17/20 while on 95 NB to NYC to see my family, I started noticing something very strange with the RPM on my car. It was jumping up to 3-4 RPM like I was accelerating but I in fact was not. So I thought it might have been a computer glitch from when I started the car back up after filling up the gas tank (from half to full) for the road trip. So I pulled over in DE at a rest stop, turned the car off for about 5 minutes and then restarted. So, I get back on 95 NB and proceed. Then it got worse! We were on the DE bridge (if anyone knows that bridge you would know that's not a place for this to happen). The car didn't really want to accelerate up that bridge and there was only 2 lanes because there is currently construction on the bridge. So we make it over the bridge and get to the NJ turnpike.

As I am on the phone (using Carplay) talking to my S/O father, I just got my turnpike ticket and the car wouldn't MOVE AT ALL! So now I am nervous and scared because I am in the middle of the road and the car isn't trying to go forward from a stop. So as I am attempting to move the car over to the shoulder the car starts to accelerate again, so we are like, "Okay, let's get to NYC and we will figure it out there what to do." So the car seems to get itself together the longer we are on the turnpike. My S/O dad said it may have been bad gas. So we get to the Woodrow Wilson Service Stop (which I usually do) and go in, come back out, and try to drive the car over to the service area to get Octane Buster for the gas to see if that resolves the issue. NOPE! THE CAR DOES NOT GO FORWARD OR BACKWARDS! The dang transmission WENT OUT! WTH!

I have had 16 cars (DJM lol) in my life and NEVER had anything like this happen but from the very 1st car that I had that had almost 200,000 miles on it. This is a 2018 NISSAN ALTIMA with only 60K on it! THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING! Me and my sister were STUCK on the NJ turnpike! Thank GOD we have AAA Premier Membership! First of all, if you ever break down on the turnpike just know that your towing service cannot tow you from the turnpike, NJ Turnpike Authorities have to tow you first WHICH IS A SEPARATE TOWING FEE! Then your tow service will tow you from there which is ANOTHER FEE! This was ALL FREE because I have AAA. If you don't have it I HIGHLY recommend you getting it!

Anyway, I had my car towed from NJ back to Baltimore, MD to the NISSAN dealership, I contacted the Service Manager IMMEDIATELY when it first happened and she is on top of this because I AM NOT PLAYING AT ALL WITH NISSAN! I am a single mother of 3 and am supposed to have a reliable car! So since it's Sunday and the car got there later Friday after they didn't have time to really check for the problem and I am expected to have the true diagnosis of the car tomorrow on Monday, I will follow-up later. But this is the worse experience I have ever had with a "new" car.

My drama didn't end there though because the rental car that I was given from Hertz in NJ that I had to take an Uber for, battery died in NYC! But "jump started" that car and at least made it back to Baltimore safely and had to exchange that rental car for another one yesterday. Hopefully my life will calm down once Nissan fixes this issue. If anyone else has an transmission issues with a 2018 Altima please share! I would appreciate to hear your experience. Thanks!

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have Nissan Altima 2013 with CPO. My Airbag light came on and took it to dealership. They gave me a quote of $1700 on a faulty Airbag that came up itself. Their technicians want to replace the whole back seat to fix a bad sensor Airbag. That's just a total scam. I will never buy Nissan product. I was told my CPO does not cover Airbag only engine repair.. Bad company to do business with...

Original review: July 7, 2020

My wife and I bought a pre-owned 2011 Nissan Altima "Special Edition" at our local dealership late in 2015. Short of just maintenance items (brakes, rotors, oil and air filter changes), this has been a good car. Fast forward to July of 2018 when the junk CVT stops on me when I'm going up a mountain road, 3 lanes of heavy traffic with a lot of semis, and rain and foggy conditions and I'm stuck in the middle of the road. The car was going just fine and then THUNK! It stops. The engine is still running, but there is no shifting of gears. So I called for roadside assistance to get the car towed.

After the car is at the dealership where we bought the car for 3 days, they finally called and said that it's going to take 2 to 3 days to bring an inspector in from Nissan to diagnose the CVT issues, which they don't even open the transmission to see what the issue was. Conveniently Nissan will not go back 1 more year on their garbage CVT transmission, so my wife and I had to pay $600 for a new one. Thankfully we still had the extended warranty on the vehicle. I'm furious at this point, so I called Nissan America to file a complaint. I got no offer of anything, just a few apologies and some lines of crap. And now this brings us up to June 2020. My wife and I had to pay $1100 to get a fuel issue taken care of, to which Nissan knows that it could possibly cause a fire, but won't issue a recall to address the issue. Come to find out that where the fuel pump is is under our 3 year old daughter's car seat.

Again, I contacted Nissan America and filed another complaint. I gave them my wife's phone number to call, as well as mine. My wife talked to "Kate" who was some kind of regional manager. My wife kindly and patiently explained everything that was going on and the entire time, the only thing Kate did was say "I do apologize." Then my wife got angry with this but still kept calm, to which she proceeded to ask Kate "if you know this is an issue, why don't you care? Why don't you care about your consumers? What's it going to take for you guys to understand the safety and value of a human life riding in your car? Would you let your husband or significant other and child/ren ride in this car if you knew it had issues that could result in death? Would you be prepared for a wrongful death lawsuit?" To which Kate simply had nothing to say except offer more apologies.

Clearly Nissan DOES NOT CARE about human life and doesn't care about their consumers. Once they get your money, they don't care. Such a careless company with heartless employees that don't care. We are unfortunately first time and now last time owners of a Nissan. Can't wait to trade this piece of junk car on a non Nissan vehicle. P.S. Nissan America should take lessons on customer service from Hyundai.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Have a 2017 Nissan Altima that's having issues taking off from a stop after it's been driven a little. Took it to a mechanic and his code reader said a code for solenoid (B) stuck or off in a CVT Transmission. Took it to Smalich Nissan Bend Oregon, they say lamp light switch and very upset and rude and belittling when I ask questions and state that do not believe that's the total issue. Changed lamp light switch and still having the am issues. Took it to the mechanic shop again and threw the same code. Took it back to Smalich Nissan Bend Oregon, talked out the review I wrote on them, had a little better verbal communication with them just to be told, "Oh it's the other switch," and sent on my way. They've done nothing for me at all.

The car is at 56 plus thousand with a warranty that ends at 60,000. I DO NOT have money for a new transmission and Nissan needs make things right and warranty my Transmission and stop giving me the run around to avoid the warranty. The Mechanics code reader is not wrong and more then one code reader was used each time I took it to the mechanic just to see be sure of the results. I myself have worked on many cars doing all levels of repairs over the years, I may not know everything but I am Not stupid as they tried to make me feel by how they spoke to me, which I just let go in that moment. My Nissan needs repaired under warranty before it up as I am still having the same issue. Nissan honor your manufactures warranty. I would not encourage anyone to go to Smolich Nissan in Bend Oregon at this point.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I was very disappointed in the customer service provided by Nissan USA. I have a 2015 Altima with only 75000 miles that had a transmission go bad due to a problem they knew about. They refused to help.

Nissan Altima Company Information