3.2/5 (1902 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper

About Nissan Altima

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Nissan Altima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

They don’t honor warranties. My transmission went out under warranty and they told me I didn’t have a warranty, it Had expired. The dealership even called Nissan headquarters and told them that I had a warranty… They still didn’t believe it even though I have my warranty in hand. After finally proving I have a warranty— here we are three weeks later, and they cant tell me anything, when my car will be repaired. Nissan headquarters/Consumer Affairs, they act like they don’t know anything. An absolute nightmare. Will NEVER buy another NISSAN!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Recall recall recall, now it's headlights! Transmission, passenger airbag, defective hood latch that caused the HOOD TO pop open on the highway! Took over a year to fix that one! "Push the hood down before traveling on a highway" was their written response! And it took over a year for them to figure out how to fix it. Mine did pop open, I had to pull over on on the highway!! I could have been killed or killed someone! Never again - Nissan is the worst and I wish I had never purchased a Nissan. STAY AWAY...FAR FAR AWAY FROM all NISSANs.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I had a horrible experience with Nissan and will never purchase a vehicle with them again. I paid cash for a 2015 Nissan Altima in 2017, and added on the extended warranty also paid in cash. I was not informed that the transmission was faulty and had been included in a recall and extended warranty. I wasn’t informed despite having purchased the extended warranty in addition to the extended warranty that was (I assume) legally required of them due to the faulty transmission. The extended warranty expired on June 4, 2022. My transmission went out a month later.

Nissan refused to cover ANYTHING. NOT A DIME. I ended up shelling out over $4500 for a repair on a known issue a month after the extended warranty expired. The only satisfaction I will gain is from sharing this story via every platform and through my extensive network. I promise you Nissan, that your serious lack of customer service and honesty will cost you far more than you cost me.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Updated on 06/14/2022: Follow up to our previous review. Received a call from Nissan Consumer Affairs, representative, Angie that stated our claim is being turned down. We asked her if she has read the service bulletin and she stated that she has not. We also asked for the decision to be put in writing, which we are certain will not occur. The customer representative, Angie hung up on us. I really hope that a supervisor with Nissan will listen to that recorded phone conversation.

Our next step will be with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and we will do everything possible we can to have this issue becomes a recall. When it does, we will be submitting our claim once again. Everyone we know that owns a Nissan Altima or Nissan Maxima will learn about the extended warranty on this issue. Postings will be made on several social media sites to let others know of the service bulletin, both in the United States and Canada. While Nissan didn't stand behind their service bulletin for our vehicle; BIG SHOUT out to Anderson Nissan in Rockford that has agreed to do the work at a reduced cost. While we are in the market for a new car, can say with certainty that it will not be a Nissan.

Original Review: On June 8, 2022 while my husband was driving our 2013 Nissan Altima our rear lower link broke. Luckily, the driver was not traveling at a high rate of speed and nobody was behind him. After having it towed home, he found the service bulletin online. We called our local Anderson dealer that confirmed parts and labor would be covered. After having it towed to the dealer, we got a call from the service manager stating that Nissan did not approve the service because our car is registered in California. The service bulletin clearly states, "Certain Nissan Altima vehicles currently or previously registered in specific U.S. states with high road salt usage for model year 2013 are potentially affected."

Our car was registered in the State of Colorado for 2013 and 2014 and when we bought it in March of 2015 it became registered in the State of Illinois. Our car was never registered in the state of California. We filed a claim with consumer affairs on June 9, 2022. We have called several times regarding the status of our claim and given several different dates on when we will get a decision. Two of those dates have passed.

We inquired about a rental car and told someone would call us and nobody has contacted us. During this time without our vehicle as it sits at the local Nissan dealer, I've learned that an extended warranty has been issued on vehicles in those states with high road salt usage. This warranty covers 2013-2018 Nissan Altimas as well as 2016-2018 Nissan Maximas. My disappointment lies with the fact that there is incorrect information on our vehicle, as it has never been registered in California. (not that it should matter) Second, disappointed that consumer affairs at Nissan is not acting in a timely matter, as we are without our vehicle.

Original review: June 10, 2022

They’re not professional. They don’t care about customer. My car transmission got brakes trees time and they didn’t do anything to help me. That’s why I will never buy a Nissan never in my life again….

Original review: April 5, 2022

Just a heads up to anyone considering the purchase of Nissan car. Get out of there and buy a different brand. Don’t do it, you will be disappointed. I bought $30k car, within 2 years began having problem with low beam lights at night, they are dim and must now drive with high beams at night. Dealer acknowledged it was problem and offered $1500 fix at my expense. Fast forward to 2022, received headlight recall and thought Nissan was owning up and going to fix for me. Wrong, they tested (spraying foam glass cleaner on headlight) and told me my headlight weren’t candidate for replacement. Needless to say I, unfortunately, will be selling my car.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought this car about a little more than three years ago.. I was on my way the shore it's about 2 hour drive. Well on my trip all my lights came on. The dash sounded like it was gonna blow up. And Nissan won't help cause the cvt recall I'm over by 14000 miles. And they won't help.. I will never ever buy a Nissan again. And everyone I know I will tell them all about nissan not wanting to help.. They just don't care!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

My 2012 Nissan Altima has had the same problem since 2014 that none of the Nissan dealers have been able to properly diagnose or fix. Even under warranty they could not figure out why my car just kept randomly dying on me. Now that the extended warranty that I purchased from them has run out and after lots of visits to try to solve the issue, the company has left me out in the cold with no solutions and no help. I will never purchase another Nissan again!! The WORST customer service ever!

Original review: July 12, 2021

Bought a 2017 Nissan Altima that only had 17,000 miles on it. Owned the car for 2 years with no issues and kept up on all of the maintenance. One day my check engine light comes on and my car starts acting like it doesn’t want to move forward. I take it to the dealership and the code that comes back is for the transmission and it says “total failure” and it’s going to cost me $4300 to fix. The car only had 73,000 miles on it at this point and is only 4 years old. How in the world does it already need a new transmission?

I looked up the reviews on Google and apparently a LOT of these nissans have a CVT transmission that have this issue. I’m not paying 4300 for them to put the exact same kind of transmission in this car so that in another 7000 miles I’m going to need another one. Moral of the story- don’t buy this car. It’s nice and comfortable but that’s the only pros. It’s not worth having to pay for a new transmission every 60-100k miles. Or worse, wreck with your children in the car.

Original review: July 2, 2021

My Nissan Altima CVT failed at 65K miles. If you are familiar with the quality of Nissan, that shouldn't be a surprise. I took my car to Nissan in June 2021 because the CVT failed in November of 2020 during the pandemic with only 65K miles. While the car was 19K miles under the mileage limit for warranty coverage, Nissan refused to cover any of the expense because the time limit expired December 2020. I reminded Nissan that the end of 2020 was during the height of the pandemic when vaccines didn’t exist, COVID was spreading uncontrollably and CDC guidelines advised people not to leave home except in an emergency. So I waited until I could get vaccinated and safely take the car for repair.

Nissan said I should have brought the car in during the pandemic. Apparently Nissan isn't concerned about the spread of COVID or the impact on the communities in which it operates, but rather only on corporate profits. I've owned 3 Nissan automobiles, and the quality of each one was worse than the car before it. Now it's finally time to move away from Nissan. Unless you enjoy spending lots of money on repairs and hanging out for hours/days in service departments, I would strongly advise you to purchase anything other than a Nissan. As an example, look at the photo of the grease they put in my car interior during the 17 days they had it and then tried to return it to me.

Nissan Altima Company Information