Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.81/5

Nissan Altima

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

814 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Nissan should be ashamed of themselves. All their CVT transmissions should be recalled. Thousands of customers screwed! In my case, I have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5L. Only 129,000 miles and the tranny is junk. Even with all my proper servicing, and maintenance. They know the transmissions are junk so they extended the coverage of the 09 & 08 models to 120,000. I’m 9 thousand over and screwed!! Thousands of dollars to replace, and the car doesn’t even blue book at that value. How are they getting away with this crap!?! If you don’t want to find yourself paying for a car that you can’t drive, steer clear of Nissan! At one point I was so proud to own one and felt safe. Now I’m totally screwed!! Thanks Nissan for NOTHING!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Altima new in 08/2007. On 12/11/2009 I received a letter from Nissan which doubled the powertrain warranty to 10 years / 120,000 miles. On 3/1/2014 with 117,540 miles the CVT transmission began making whining noises and was replaced by the dealer under the powertrain warranty. In September 2018 the replace CVT started whining again. On 09/8/2018 I brought the car to the dealer to change the CVT transmission fluid. I was told the transmission fluid smelled burnt and the CVT showed slight signs of buckling during their test drive. The dealer declined to change the fluid for fear it would cause more problems. The car has 177,354 miles but the transmission is under 5 years/60,000 miles. Unfortunately, the replacement CVT is only warrantied 1 year / 12,000 miles.

There are so many complaints from Nissan customers with CVT transmissions. The 2007 CVT transmissions lasted longer than the 2014 with the new ones failing around 60,000 miles. The Nissan CVT transmission problem has not been resolved, it’s actually worse. In today’s disposable society most owners don’t keep cars long enough to experience a failed Nissan CVT and others never post their experience. This allows Nissan to hide the issue and not correct the problem. Nissan CVT transmissions problems are no secret to dealers and mechanics.

I called NISSAN corporate customer service. They looked up the service history based on the VIN. They declined to repair or replace the transmission because the 12K mile warranty on the replacement had passed. If it were a new car the transmission would have been covered under the 60k miles. I have been a loyal Nissan owner of four cars dating back to my 1977 Datsun 210. I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND NISSAN AGAIN!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased a 2009 Nissan Altima in 2015. The transmission started sputtering after a few months. After researching the issue, I found the recall, however I was 1000 miles over. The transmission is now completely out. I was told it would cost 3500 to replace. If Nissan knew these CVT transmissions were faulty, they should replace ALL that were involved at NO cost to the consumer. Forget the recall date and mileage. I am extremely disappointed in Nissan. They need to make this right to everybody that had this misfortune!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I bought a 2016 Altima 7 months ago. My car has a current total of 70000 miles and I just was told that my transmission is about to go out. The dealership did not mention anything to me about a recall but instead traits you double dip on my car and put me in something different. I am ready to sue Nissan and the dealership for all of the headache and frustration they have put me through who wants to do with me.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I own a 2015 Nissan Altima. My car is around 80,000 miles. My transmission and my air compressor have gone out. I have contacted Consumer Affairs about this matter and they refuse to help me. I have been doing research and these are BOTH very common issues with the Altima. Nissan has lost me forever as a customer. I am so disappointed they would do nothing to help me. Who has 5,000 just lying around to fix a transmission? My day has be destroyed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have a 2017 Nissan Altima that I purchased brand new. On June 30th my car will be a year old. On June 16, 2018 my car transmission failed with approximately 12000 miles on it. When I purchased my new car I was so happy with it, now I am skeptical of it. I am in the process of talking with Nissan consumer affairs and when I first talked to them I was very upset that I told them if I could I would wanted to get out of the car. I actually like the look and features of the car, so I hope that in good faith Nissan will replace the car with a reliable working car so Nissan and I can start our relationship over on good terms. However, I am still waiting on an answer.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My 2014 Nissan Altima is barely 4 years old and requires a new CVT transmission. I filed a claim with NISSAN USA and they made a decision to deny covering the cost for the new transmission with the wrong car mileage. They stated my car had over 127,000 miles on it when it was 117,000. Additionally the claims representative, Kasha, made a point to emphasize that it was still going to be denied despite the wrong information. I was then referred to her superior and the same occurred, stating it was still going to be denied. I am currently awaiting another response from someone in a higher position.

How can you put a car on the market with a life expectancy of 4 years and have the nerve to sell it to hardworking American families for over $21,000? Then make no effort to reconcile the issue by taking responsibility for your faulty product. I'm not asking for a handout. I'm asking for a quality car in return for what pay for every month. I still owe over 8k for this car and am now expected to pay another $4200.00. NO ONE should PURCHASE A NISSAN. The corporation doesn't care how hard you work for your money nor about the quality of the product they put out. If they did, they would take responsibility for this poor product.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The 1999 Nissan Altima was a good car except the tires and the brakes went at the same time. We fixed that and then eight months later the muffler, alternator, and the starter all went at the same time. Since all three things went it wasn't worth repairing the car even though we'd replaced other things already. When the alternator went the automatic windows had been down so we weren't able to put the windows up and it rained outside getting part of the interior wet. Outside of that the car ran great. Good little car for the money. I liked the radio and how the car ran for a used car. There were no problems the first year that we owned the car. It was very fast for a non-sports car and handled really well except on ice. We chose the car because our friend has one a year newer than the one we bought and really liked it except when it broke down.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I’ve got Nissan Altima 2015 end of the 2015. In 35,000 mile transmission broke down, in 165,000 mile transmission broke down again. In 170,000 mile AC broke down. In 100,000 mile headlight broken. In 2 years rear shock absorbers broken. In 2 years engine start/stop broken, in 1 years driver seat cover and frame broken. "Nissan? Never again”. Good like for the future Nissan buyers.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The 3.5 SL Altima is an incredible vehicle to own and drive. The comfort and handling are very luxurious and comfortable. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love my Nissan Altima. I've never had a bad experience with these kind of cars. They are very reliable and I would most definitely recommend a Nissan Altima to anyone. Nissan Altimas are very spacious and roomy. The seats keep me warm at all times considering I get cold easily. I also love the boss system that is made into the car. It sounds just like a real car system. The newer Altimas have the good handles, but my car has the brand older pull up ones and I dislike that the door handles break easily when it snowed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I do not usually write reviews about anything but after my whole ordeal with the Nissan Corporation I felt it necessary. After I had purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe I recently ran into some transmission issues. Upon research I discovered that Nissan had done a lazy job in constructing their transmissions for their CVT motors. As such they did initial offer an extended warranty on these models that was covered up until 120,000 miles and July 2017. Learning about this extended warranty I decided to file my claim, however they decided not cover this even though it would be no trouble to them whatsoever. However for someone such as myself being a recent college graduate behind on student loans and working on paying for applications and exams necessary to be accepted into graduate school naturally I barely have any money, let alone transmission replacement money.

As such something of this circumstance is truly detrimental to me. It's truly amazing that a billion dollar company who cut corners on a product that affects a person's livelihood felt no sense of responsibility to correct their shortcomings. Because for me it is not the fact that the transmission went bad (it's like nothing is going to last forever). It's the fact that they put individuals who trusted their business in this circumstance by cutting corners and offered someone such as myself (and I know I cannot be the only one they denied) no assistance at all. To say that I am disappointed and disgusted in this corporation is an understatement, sufficient to say I will never in my life purchase any Nissan product and will strongly discourage any individual I know or who asks me from also buying any Nissan products as they are clearly a company that does not believe in or practice accountability.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It is a brand I trust, that I have purchased before. It is good quality for the price, which is the reason I chose it. It is very comfortable and reliable. It has newer features such as push to start. It is great on gas mileage, more so than others. Low maintenance and it will last me a long time. But I wish it had remote start. The particular one I purchased did not have in dash navi, that was an upgraded feature that I did not get. That would have been nice though. It also did not have tinted windows which is something important to have in Texas.

Original review: June 12, 2018

It drives good and it have a Bluetooth speaker and radio. Drive smooth and it have safety. It brake work really good too. The headlight is ok on the vehicle. It turning light ok. It just yellow. Like the color of the vehicle and the seat the color of the light inside the vehicle above the steering wheel under the hood is new. It up to date. It do have a safety book that comes along with it. The seat have heat on it that give you comfort too. Nissan Altima do take you where you need to go from here to there. You can travel where you want to go. It won't break down on you and it can hold gas too. It like it talk to you when you driving it. But don't like the tires and the trunk. The vehicle light on the outside is not bright at all and it take a lot of gas to fill it up.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I will never buy another Nissan ever again. Those CVT transmission are a piece a crap. Consumer affairs will not take the blame for it even though I see from just reading that it's an ongoing issue with them. They are very costly (as if they care) it's time consuming and overall a rip off. Smells like a scam to me...something has to be done. Yes I'm reaching out to any and everybody about this. I just don't think it's right. Something has to be done, this has got to stop. Yes I went to the BBB after contacting Consumer Affairs...I got somewhere but not where I think it should be.

Nissan should FULLY TAKE 100% blame and fix it at NO cost as many customers are complaining. DO SOMETHING NISSAN. RECALL THEM. MY car (Nissan Altima 2013) has been in the shop over a week with nothing done because who just has thousands of dollars to just give up. Praying for a better outcome. I'm one more complaint added to the list...Regional Manager Jerome was no help. They just don't care at all.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My recent purchase of a 2017 Altima was wonderful. Saleslady was very nice and easy to work with. The car is spacious and runs like a dream. Much bigger than my old VW Beetle. So far I have had no problems with my vehicle. It looks pretty and is a beautiful shade of red. The pickup on this 6 cylinder vehicle is great. I love it.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Nissan Altima - Solid transportation, reasonably good handling, ride comfort and fuel economy. Huge trunk that is easy to load but it could use a little more zip but for a 2.5L normally aspirated engine it gets the job done.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchase 2 cars every 3 years from Nissan in Tampa Florida. My sales man Anthony ** is the best of the best & the Nissan in Tampa Florida they are also the best of the best dealership.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have a 2003 Altima, still in good condition and still runs well. I would like to add though that there is only about 50000 miles on it and it is garaged.

Original review: May 5, 2018

So the Nissan Altima is great on gas BUT the headlights at night are plain horrible and if I had driven at night before buying I would not have bought. I also hate the slope of the windshield - very difficult to attach anything that may require a suction cup. Also on my vehicle there seems to be a defect in the glass itself as there is a distinctive area that stands out when the windshield is wet making visibility poor. I can actually see clearly around it so it's not my imagination.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I love this car. It's my second Nissan Altima. It looks beautiful, is classy and fun to drive. I love the safety features. I love the whole techno package. The service is also good.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Nissan Altima - I bought this car used. I had to put a new transmission in all the could on. The spark plugs had to be replaced... Burns oil. All of this in the first 6 months. Calibers on the back brakes were so bad the locked up... the car's body is great. Nice looking car. Top of the line leather seats... Bose stereo.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We bought the Nissan Altima used when most would call it scrap, and dropped a couple hundred $ into parts and up keep. Got over 600k miles out of the car before it finally died.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The 2012 Nissan Altima has been a great car for us. There have been no malfunctions with it. The performance is good and has acceptable fuel economy. It replaced a 2000 Maxima which was also a very good car but was starting to need some expensive repairs. I would recommend the Altima to anyone who would like a dependable and comfortable car.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The Nissan Altima has too many issues to name them all. There are issues with the CVT transmission and too many recalls and bulletins. I have also had issues with Nissan corporate not wanting to help with the problems I have had with the Altima I purchased.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My 2007 Nissan Altima has served me very well! It has 238,858 miles with only routine maintenance performed in the last 10 years. Within the last year I've seen more costly repairs such as an engine mount and a CO2 sensor.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I recently in the past month purchased my second Nissan Altima. The first one I owned was a 2006 Nissan Altima ES/4 door. My recent purchase is a Nissan Altima 2 door Coupe. Although the two are the same they are different. In likeness they are both classy and sleek in appearances. They both ride smoothly resembling a luxury amusement rail ride! In difference the 2 door Coupe is smaller but the 2.5 turbo definitely makes it capable for me to get to my destination efficiently! The 4 door ES was roomy and had a manual transmission (when Nissan still made them). Finally I am excited to find out more as I drive my Nissan but as of right now they have my vote in being one of the best made vehicles on the market!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have been driving my Nissan Altima for around two years. It drives well and looks nice going down the road. It handles well and has plenty of power, feels a little sporty while being a nice "Mom" car with plenty of room. I have not had any problems with it, no breakdowns or anything, so it's very reliable. I put about 20k miles a year on a vehicle so reliability is key. I have always had this kind of luck with Nissans and prefer the handling to the competitor's vehicles regardless of the class - smaller or this size.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My Nissan Altima is fun to drive, looks great, and has never let me down. The Altima has a huge trunk, and with the back seat folded down, you can fit A LOT in it. Best vehicle I've had!!!

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Nissan Altima is poorly made. I bought a 22,000 dollar car for my wife that we have had to put 11,000 into. Bad axles, poor mirrors, and in the heat there seems to be some electrical problem (the car acts like it want to die) when I roll down the windows, turn on the A.C. Even step on the brakes.

Nissan Altima Company Information