3.66/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Altima

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Altima Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

2019 Altima has a horrible transmission. I just got this car a few months ago and I’m already having issues with the transmission. There’s only 7500 miles on it and now it won’t start. It says CVT malfunction every time I try to start it. What doesn’t help is when I’m trying to leave work at midnight and can’t get home after working all day. I used to love Altimas but I’d advise anyone thinking of getting one to not buy a Nissan vehicle. If it’s happening so soon on a brand new car, that means the transmission is a piece of crap.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

My Altima's CVT transmission has failed at only 23,000 miles. Spoke to a mechanic who stated some last 5000 miles and some last longer. I see this car being a $$$$$ pit. Already had to get the whole ac kit replace for $1250.00. This car is just a pretty piece of junk. Buyer beware. Please do your research.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I purchased a 2013 Altima new. At 60,000 miles, the compressor went out!! I will never buy another vehicle made by Nissan!! There have been recalls after recalls on other parts of the car!! Poorly built. Can’t wait till I get rid of it and I ALWAYS tell people not to purchase one!!!! They don’t care and refused to assist in helping me replace the compressor. NEVER had to replace a major part this early in a car that’s 6 years old!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

We purchased a Nissan Altima thinking it would be a low maintenance car. It was until they told me the transmission is bad at 80K. What a waste of money. I have posted this on my FB page only to find out Nissan Altimas 08-10 were notorious for this defect. They said it would cost close to 6K to replace. That is more than the car is worth. I would reconsider before investing in Nissan. I had no idea the reputation for this car was that it would have such a faulty and expensive problem. THIS CAR HAS A TRANSMISSION THAT IS FAULTY, THEY WILL NOT EVEN HELP KNOWING THEIR PRODUCT HAS THIS ONGOING ISSUE. WHAT A LEMON.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I haven't even had my car for 5 years nor is it paid off. I took my car to a dealership and the total price to fix everything is 3300. CVT problems with the vehicle along with other transmission problems. I have filed a complaint with the consumers and the news has offered to do a story on my case. This is my second time paying for the same issue. I haven't had the vehicle long and yes it was bought from a dealership. Not only that the dealership failed to acknowledge my warrant on the vehicle. Today I was told from the Nissan dealership in Colorado that they would not service my car all this information we have on tape. It is a shame that US Military members and customers can't get good service and cars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: July 30, 2019

My 2013 Altima with 52,000 miles has a failing CVT transmission. Unbelievable at this amount of miles my transmission is giving up. Not a happy customer. Will never buy another Nissan and I am also telling everybody I know about this. Horrible Quality for a Japanese car company.

Original review: July 26, 2019

2016 Nissan Altima. Bought Nissan Altima late 2015. Replaced transmission April 2017 at 64000, miles. Now it is 7/2019 and second transmission just went. Very disappointed in Nissan and will never buy another one. Also don’t buy extended warranty from CARCHEX, they will replace transmission with a used one that already has 60,000 mile on it. I am afraid to drive the repaired car, expect the “new” transmission to last about 4,000 miles.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I owned brand new 2014 Nissan Altima for about a little more than 5 years, bought in 2013 September. In 5 years and few months transmission failed on me on highway. Transmission failed few months after expiration of manufacturer warranty. Did not get support from Nissan. And, I ended up selling car on highway and driving rental back home, all on my own expense. All the time, I owned this vehicle I got nothing but problems and dissatisfaction. I raised my complaints to Nissan and never received a support. I have disowned the car and brand. I will never ever own Nissan product and ensure no one in friends and family buys it to avoid them from being victim. I have also read reviews from other people on CVT issues, mechanical and electronic failure.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I have a 2015 Nissan. The car can no longer be driven at night. The headlight Assembly's reflective material no longer projects light and you can't see 20 feet at night. It is plain dangerous. Nissan knows they have a major problem (it's all over the internet) and they basically told me they would need $185 to diagnose the problem. A five year old can determine the problem as you can stand in front of it at night and stare into the headlights and not even be fazed. I reported it to the NHTSA so we will see where it goes. Apparently someone will have to be maimed or killed before Nissan acknowledges the issue. Never again!

Original review: July 17, 2019

I purchased my 2015 Altima with zero miles in February 2015. Today, 4 years later, I am being told at the dealership that my AC compressor is defective and must be replaced. This vehicle is only 4 years old, and an AC compressor should not go bad in a vehicle this old. This is a $1400 fix at Nissan. I am extremely disappointed with the quality of Nissan parts. I refuse to repair my vehicle with Nissan due to the simple fact that I do not want another Nissan AC compressor in my vehicle. I will not be purchasing or recommending Nissan to my friends and family for the future. My car is at 63,000 miles and it is unfortunate that I am having to do such extremely expensive repairs on this vehicle at this point in time.

Nissan Altima Company Information