3.9/5 (194 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Nissan Altima

The Nissan Altima is a mid-size car. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Altima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Altima?

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have Nissan Altima 2013 with CPO. My Airbag light came on and took it to dealership. They gave me a quote of $1700 on a faulty Airbag that came up itself. Their technicians want to replace the whole back seat to fix a bad sensor Airbag. That's just a total scam. I will never buy Nissan product. I was told my CPO does not cover Airbag only engine repair.. Bad company to do business with...

Original review: July 7, 2020

My wife and I bought a pre-owned 2011 Nissan Altima "Special Edition" at our local dealership late in 2015. Short of just maintenance items (brakes, rotors, oil and air filter changes), this has been a good car. Fast forward to July of 2018 when the junk CVT stops on me when I'm going up a mountain road, 3 lanes of heavy traffic with a lot of semis, and rain and foggy conditions and I'm stuck in the middle of the road. The car was going just fine and then THUNK! It stops. The engine is still running, but there is no shifting of gears. So I called for roadside assistance to get the car towed.

After the car is at the dealership where we bought the car for 3 days, they finally called and said that it's going to take 2 to 3 days to bring an inspector in from Nissan to diagnose the CVT issues, which they don't even open the transmission to see what the issue was. Conveniently Nissan will not go back 1 more year on their garbage CVT transmission, so my wife and I had to pay $600 for a new one. Thankfully we still had the extended warranty on the vehicle. I'm furious at this point, so I called Nissan America to file a complaint. I got no offer of anything, just a few apologies and some lines of crap. And now this brings us up to June 2020. My wife and I had to pay $1100 to get a fuel issue taken care of, to which Nissan knows that it could possibly cause a fire, but won't issue a recall to address the issue. Come to find out that where the fuel pump is is under our 3 year old daughter's car seat.

Again, I contacted Nissan America and filed another complaint. I gave them my wife's phone number to call, as well as mine. My wife talked to "Kate" who was some kind of regional manager. My wife kindly and patiently explained everything that was going on and the entire time, the only thing Kate did was say "I do apologize." Then my wife got angry with this but still kept calm, to which she proceeded to ask Kate "if you know this is an issue, why don't you care? Why don't you care about your consumers? What's it going to take for you guys to understand the safety and value of a human life riding in your car? Would you let your husband or significant other and child/ren ride in this car if you knew it had issues that could result in death? Would you be prepared for a wrongful death lawsuit?" To which Kate simply had nothing to say except offer more apologies.

Clearly Nissan DOES NOT CARE about human life and doesn't care about their consumers. Once they get your money, they don't care. Such a careless company with heartless employees that don't care. We are unfortunately first time and now last time owners of a Nissan. Can't wait to trade this piece of junk car on a non Nissan vehicle. P.S. Nissan America should take lessons on customer service from Hyundai.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Have a 2017 Nissan Altima that's having issues taking off from a stop after it's been driven a little. Took it to a mechanic and his code reader said a code for solenoid (B) stuck or off in a CVT Transmission. Took it to Smalich Nissan Bend Oregon, they say lamp light switch and very upset and rude and belittling when I ask questions and state that do not believe that's the total issue. Changed lamp light switch and still having the am issues. Took it to the mechanic shop again and threw the same code. Took it back to Smalich Nissan Bend Oregon, talked out the review I wrote on them, had a little better verbal communication with them just to be told, "Oh it's the other switch," and sent on my way. They've done nothing for me at all.

The car is at 56 plus thousand with a warranty that ends at 60,000. I DO NOT have money for a new transmission and Nissan needs make things right and warranty my Transmission and stop giving me the run around to avoid the warranty. The Mechanics code reader is not wrong and more then one code reader was used each time I took it to the mechanic just to see be sure of the results. I myself have worked on many cars doing all levels of repairs over the years, I may not know everything but I am Not stupid as they tried to make me feel by how they spoke to me, which I just let go in that moment. My Nissan needs repaired under warranty before it up as I am still having the same issue. Nissan honor your manufactures warranty. I would not encourage anyone to go to Smolich Nissan in Bend Oregon at this point.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I was very disappointed in the customer service provided by Nissan USA. I have a 2015 Altima with only 75000 miles that had a transmission go bad due to a problem they knew about. They refused to help.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I purchased a 2 year used Nissan Altima. Followed all maintenance needs. Found out there was a class action due to premature failure of the CVT transmission; however my newer model year 2014 was not part of the remedies provided. Incorrectly assumed some change made for the newer model years to not require inclusion. But it failed this year at only 85k miles. No recourse and dealer repair estimate of $3500.... Stay away from these cars. Imagine there will be another class action soon as these again begin to fail in large numbers.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Do not buy a Nissan. They are suspect to CVT failures and Nissan does not support their products. I have an Altima with this issue and Nissan will not cover a penny and is allowing me to drive around in an unsafe vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Altima in November 2016. At first I loved the car! I thought it was perfect in the one for me. But in 2019 is when I started having problems. Whenever I needed to go fast, the car would not. I had to slowly press on the gas just to make the car go 60 mph. Then a light would come on and off telling that I'm sliding but I wasn't sliding. I was just trying to go the speed limit which would be about 40-60mph. It was a nightmare. So I took it into the dealership and they told me my CVT transmission needed to be replaced. I asked how much would it be and they confirmed it would cost $4200. I was mind blown. 4200 is a year worth of car payments for me and I didnt have any extra money laying around.

I looked online and saw that I wasnt the only one having this problem so I called corporate. They put in a case number for me but at the end of the day they said I was out of warranty so they were no helped. I had just brought the car 2 years before but I'm out of warranty because I was over the miles. Considering this was a recall on the transmission and it was the transmission that was messing up I feel as if they shouldve provided some help. They do not. I came up with the money and told them to fix it and a couple of days later they tell me that a bolt cracked on them and they have to replace it. Okay how much will it cost, $4800. I just had to come up with 4200 and now I'm being asked for 600 more because you guys broke something. All they could say was, "We didnt break anything. It's just the part was too old and it cracked, but without this part we cant fix the car."

I told them just to put it back together and I'll take it somewhere else. I was so mad. They refused. They said there was no way to put it back together because that piece was gone. So of course I end up paying the $4800. Nissan took a month to fix my car although I told them to fix it 3 days after they called me with the quote. Nissan did not give me a rental car so I had to find my own way. This car has cost me a lot of money and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Save yourself the time and money and do not buy a Nissan!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Nissan Altima 2015 is the worst car you can drive. It does not have enough power to push your car when you are hitting a ramp to highway. On top of that nissan CVT is worst .Broke CVT in 30k and don't know when it will break.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Sun visors break easily and won't stay in the upright, locked position. I have since found this is a common problem in multiple Nissan products. Costs to replace sun visors are unreasonably high. Nissan refuses to acknowledge the issue.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This car is not worth the money required for purchase. Specifically the auto drive feature cannot handle medium to large curves. Several uncomfortable times I had to completely take over the operation of the car. The auto braking system is also not reliable. I bought the car April 2019 and as of the October the driver’s seat does not operate. I was very disappointed overall with the value and functionality of this vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Nissan Altima car is a very attractive car but should have increase the factory powertrain warranty on the major parts. Is the engine and transmission and the only other thing is the squeaking of the brakes.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The car has been good to me, there have been a few issues but Nissan has fixed them with no issues. I had some issues with the sunroof and Nissan fixed that as well. It is a 2008 and I am still going strong in 2019!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I LOVE the size, just right for a small family. It is easy to maintain and it turns on a dime. It is very good on gas, it has get up and go too. Only two things I wish it had: a day time head light switch and had less curvature in the windshield.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had the Altima for 8 years now and have had zero (knock on wood) issues. I replaced the original battery just this year. That means it went 8 years without an issue. I have done only brakes and oil changes. It is still in good mechanical condition.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima used with 54K miles. A couple months after my warranty expired the CVT transmission went completely out and the car wouldn't drive. I had the car towed to the dealer to find out the repair was going to cost me $4,400.00. I contacted Nissan corporate direct to find out if they could help with the repair since my warranty had just expired. Well, the answer was No from the dealership, No from corporate. I was so frustrated and still owe a lot of money on the car so I paid the money and had the car fixed and about a year later which is today the car just starts to lose acceleration at the worst possible moment in the middle of traffic etc. And I can only go 20 miles an hour for about a few minutes and then regains speed just enough time for me to be smashed to pieces so I called the dealership! It will cost me $140.00 just for a diagnosis and then who knows from there. I would not recommend this car.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Overall love my car. Very responsive, great gas mileage and handling. Have a SR looks sporty and handles that way. Roomy Interior seats 5 adults in comfort. Overall very well built, no complaints.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Bought this car for my son, and he loves it. The only problem I see is we have already had a transmission issue at only 40k miles. It was taken care of under warranty. Although the warranty was up so maybe an issue with that module that had to be replaced.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2019

I want you to know since my review and calling Nissan corporate office; what has happened. The first thing I want to say Nissan listened; was respectful of me when I talked to them about the issue with my car. So far after battery replaced I have not had a issue. 24 hours after I talked to them; I had a representative from Consumer Affairs Nissan call me. He again listened; was respectful and genuine. Nissan for my troubles and inconvenience sent us a check and is paying one month's car payment. I worked for Ford and had a issue with a car I had; I was not treated as well. Nissan is first class in my book. If I have any more problems I am to call the same representative that dealt with me. Thank you Nissan! Yes I do love my 2019 Altima SL.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have 800 miles on my Altima. I got in the vehicle to start. A message came up. It didn't recognize my key. It started and broke down, I called and had the car towed on Black Friday. Sales was there when we arrived. Shop was closed; so I left the car for e days. Monday they had the car all day; kept charging the battery and it failed. They put a new battery in. I feel uneasy about my purchase. After reading other comments of frustrated Altima owners; I need reliability. I feel this will not be the last of the problems. I am documenting everything with this car. My frustration is with everyone asking me did I leave this on or that on. I have been driving a long time; I felt insulted. I was glad the drained battery wasn't my fault. I live in an area where to get to a specialist for medical needs we have to drive 3 to 5 hours away from home. That is why reliability is everything. I wouldn't buy this car again. 20 computers in one car; too much; more to break.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Car has performed excellently. I have 60,000 miles on it now and have had no issues at all. It’s comfortable, including the back seat and with plenty of space in the trunk. I owned a Sentra prior to the Altima and have been more than satisfied with both. Service at my dealership is great as well.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

MPG 28.7 on average, pretty good car, safety and speed up quickly, best of choice, cheap for repair and parts replacement, price drop down slowly than other similar cars.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The Altima has outperformed our Hondas in fuel economy. Never thought it was possible. Amazingly responsive for a smaller engine. Very spacious inside and a comfortable ride! Nissan seems to be addressing the CVT issues and is extending warranties to cover any issues that may come up. Great car.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We bought the Nissan Altima in 2006, since then we're very happy with the Car, very reliable, no problems at all, over the years just some wear and tear, changing oil, tires and a new motor for the passenger side window, that's it in 13 years, very low cost, we can recommend this car, single or family friendly, I would buy this car again, just in the upgrade version, Thank you Nissan for a safe car.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Three years ago, I've bought a 2013 Nissan Altima with no problems in the first year. In 2017, my mother fell ill to cancer treatments and I had to give up my job a few months to take care of her. Contacted Nissan finance department and explained the late payments, and will be employed within the next few weeks. From May 2017 to December 2017, they threaten to repossess my car because of family and finance issues. But all in all I was making payments even though they weren't full payments. Overall, Nissan doesn't care about personal problems a customer may be facing as long as they get their money, and I mean all by any means necessary! They will lie and threaten you if you don't do as they say. If you make a complaint, they will challenge you with falsifying information to cover their end. So my advice to people is, NEVER BUY NISSAN! RUN THE OTHER WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

2019 Altima has a horrible transmission. I just got this car a few months ago and I’m already having issues with the transmission. There’s only 7500 miles on it and now it won’t start. It says CVT malfunction every time I try to start it. What doesn’t help is when I’m trying to leave work at midnight and can’t get home after working all day. I used to love Altimas but I’d advise anyone thinking of getting one to not buy a Nissan vehicle. If it’s happening so soon on a brand new car, that means the transmission is a piece of crap.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

My Altima's CVT transmission has failed at only 23,000 miles. Spoke to a mechanic who stated some last 5000 miles and some last longer. I see this car being a $$$$$ pit. Already had to get the whole ac kit replace for $1250.00. This car is just a pretty piece of junk. Buyer beware. Please do your research.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I purchased a 2013 Altima new. At 60,000 miles, the compressor went out!! I will never buy another vehicle made by Nissan!! There have been recalls after recalls on other parts of the car!! Poorly built. Can’t wait till I get rid of it and I ALWAYS tell people not to purchase one!!!! They don’t care and refused to assist in helping me replace the compressor. NEVER had to replace a major part this early in a car that’s 6 years old!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

We purchased a Nissan Altima thinking it would be a low maintenance car. It was until they told me the transmission is bad at 80K. What a waste of money. I have posted this on my FB page only to find out Nissan Altimas 08-10 were notorious for this defect. They said it would cost close to 6K to replace. That is more than the car is worth. I would reconsider before investing in Nissan. I had no idea the reputation for this car was that it would have such a faulty and expensive problem. THIS CAR HAS A TRANSMISSION THAT IS FAULTY, THEY WILL NOT EVEN HELP KNOWING THEIR PRODUCT HAS THIS ONGOING ISSUE. WHAT A LEMON.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I haven't even had my car for 5 years nor is it paid off. I took my car to a dealership and the total price to fix everything is 3300. CVT problems with the vehicle along with other transmission problems. I have filed a complaint with the consumers and the news has offered to do a story on my case. This is my second time paying for the same issue. I haven't had the vehicle long and yes it was bought from a dealership. Not only that the dealership failed to acknowledge my warrant on the vehicle. Today I was told from the Nissan dealership in Colorado that they would not service my car all this information we have on tape. It is a shame that US Military members and customers can't get good service and cars.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My 2013 Altima with 52,000 miles has a failing CVT transmission. Unbelievable at this amount of miles my transmission is giving up. Not a happy customer. Will never buy another Nissan and I am also telling everybody I know about this. Horrible Quality for a Japanese car company.

Original review: July 26, 2019

2016 Nissan Altima. Bought Nissan Altima late 2015. Replaced transmission April 2017 at 64000, miles. Now it is 7/2019 and second transmission just went. Very disappointed in Nissan and will never buy another one. Also don’t buy extended warranty from CARCHEX, they will replace transmission with a used one that already has 60,000 mile on it. I am afraid to drive the repaired car, expect the “new” transmission to last about 4,000 miles.

Nissan Altima Company Information