2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (1614 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Nissan

Nissan is a Japanese manufacturer of cars, trucks, SUVs and electric cars for every lifestyle. Read reviews for their many models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: June 14, 2021

I experienced lie upon lie when I purchased my 2020 Nissan Altima at Thruway Nissan in Newburgh NY. Now, a year later, I’ve noticed my FM reception is on occasions full of static. Initially, upon a service appointment, I was advised all was fixed with a computer update. Not so! The problem continues as my car made a repeat trip to the dealer only to be told that there is no problem with the antenna or connections. They refuse to replace the radio even though it’s under warranty with less than 10k miles! Buyer beware! Buy elsewhere.

Original review: May 17, 2021

My husband and I purchased a brand new 2014 Murano... a car we loved! It drives beautifully. Sadly, we've run into two separate issues multiple times. First, the driver's side visor breaks constantly!!!! We don't use it often but have replaced it several times. At first they were covered by our warranty, but now they want $185 for a new one. What???? And you can't find a used driver's side visor for anything. Not a single one at a junk yard (although the passenger side visors ARE available.)

Then, our ac went out three times while under warranty (we live in AZ so no ac is brutal)! We had the compressor replaced three times. The third time we had a service agent say he would try to get us a brand new one (compressor). What the heck were they putting in before???? Also, my friend got a Murano. She had the exact same problem multiple times! A $40k car should NOT have these defects. (AND, while our Murano was in to have the compressor replaced, there were two times the dealership kept our car for multiple days without updating us on the status of the repairs.)

Thank goodness we were still under warranty. Now our warranty has expired and I'm afraid we'll run into the compressor issue again. I will be furious if that happens! We can't afford such expensive repairs, especially since the car has only had about 10-12k miles a year put on it. Well below average. As much as I love the look and feel of Nissan vehicles, we won't be buying another one. I have a Chevy that hasn't had any problems at all and it's a 2015. Even our 2005 Dodge Ram has been amazing. Very few service needs other than the basics such as oil and filter maintenance, tire rotation, etc. I can count on one hand the number of times I've written a negative review, but this situation warrants it.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Disappointed with Nissan. 3 years ago I bought certified pre-owned 2015 Nissan Murano at Sheehy Nissan of White Marsh. Also paid extra for 5 years extended warranty. Recently I noticed multiple small bubbles on my hood, last week I took my car to a car wash and came out with ugly spots of top coat coming off. I contacted Nissan with complaints. They sent me to Nissan designated body shop who confirmed that 6 year old car should not have this issue and it is a manufacture issue. Today Nissan informed me that paint warranty on their cars is 3 years and my extended warranty is not covering paint. Nissan, you are not living up to standards!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Nissan complaint: Where do I begin, well let me start by saying the car buying experience was amazing and the sales representative was amazing. Fast forward 71 days and the nightmare begins. So I bought a brand new 2021 Nissan Rogue in January and of course it was still cold. However as it warmed up and I needed to use the AC I realized the driver's vents would blow warm or room temperature air while the passenger side would be freezing cold even when set to the exact same temperature. I called Jack Ingram Nissan in Montgomery Alabama where I purchased my car and advised them of the issue. They set an appointment for the following week for me to bring the car in to be fixed, or so I thought.

When I dropped my car off I was told even though I brought in an SUV they would only be able to put me in an Altima, though I was disappointed I went with it. To my surprise when I reached the vehicle I was to use it was filthy! Being that we are still in the midst of a pandemic I went back in and refused to take that vehicle. They then Provided me with another Altima. The next day I called 3 or 4 times to see what had been done to fix my car. Finally around 3 pm I received a call saying they could not detect any issue and that I could come and pick my car up. I was told that the temperature shown was not per vent, but the temperature in the entire car. This didn't seem accurate because one of the selling points was the dual climate control, but it was a Friday and due to the size of my family I couldn't afford to be in the loaner car any longer.

So I went and picked up my car... I tried to chalk it up to maybe the car didn't do for them what it had been doing with me. When I pulled out of the dealership to head home, the driver's side was blowing heat to the point that I began to sweat. I made a U-turn and went back to the dealership and demanded to speak with someone to show them what was happening and see another vehicle like mine do the same. After waiting 15 minutes, the representative came out and witnessed exactly what I was referring to and to my surprise he seemed surprised which makes me feel like my car hadn't even been looked at in the 2 days it had been there.

We then sat in another Rogue to see if this is indeed normal and what do you know the other car did NOT have the same issue proving that this is not normal for this make and model. They sent another representative out who appeared to be a manager and he proceeded to insult my intelligence by insisting it was operating as it should. I told them both that I was not satisfied and I would like it fixed. His solution was for me to turn my driver temp down and passenger temp up which made both sides blow the same temperature. I advised them that that was only a bandage not a solution. I bought a new car and I expected it to operate as it should. The representative then offered to reopen the ticket and assured me that he would be reaching out to me with a solution by Wednesday.

WELL TODAY IS THURSDAY! No word from Jack Ingram. I called Nissan yesterday evening and filed a consumer complaint, the rep called today and said that Jack Ingram would be calling me within the hour to set up a time for my car to be reevaluated. That was 4 hours ago. At this point I don't know what to do, but I do know that I will never do business with Nissan and definitely not with Jack Ingram if they do not resolve this matter! On a lighter note the sales team there is amazing and after speaking with the sales manager. I will hopefully be able to have a SUV as a loaner whenever the service team can get it together and FIX MY CAR!

Original review: April 8, 2021

We have a 2013 Nissan Altima that started having drivetrain issues around 85,000 miles. The unreliable, poorly designed CVT seems to be the issue. After getting 2 quotes from 2 different dealerships, (one at $3742, and the other at $3565). I asked the dealership to see if this could get covered under "good will" or for Nissan to cover some of the cost since the extended warranty covered the car to 84 months or 84,000 miles. The claim was rejected because they said the timeframe was too far out. Nissan knows they have problems with this transmission, otherwise they would have never been forced to extend the warranty on 2003 - 2010 Nissan's for 10 years or 120,000 miles or the 2012 - 2020 models for 84 months or 84,000 miles.

Nissan should be held responsible for covering a defected product that they continue to use. Please don't make the same mistake I did, do your research and do not buy a car from Nissan, especially one with this CVT system. I am having an independent shop to fix my car because I refuse to give Nissan anymore of my money. I for one will never buy a Nissan product again!!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Our company has a 2018 NV 200, a commercial vehicle with 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper commercial Nissan warranty. There are about 58,000 miles on the truck. On January, 26, 2021 while driving on a small residential road at 5 miles an hour, the passenger side curtain deployed. The truck did not hit anything at all. Our technician said it sounded like a gun went off. He couldn’t see anything. Had this happened on the highway, he certainly would’ve been in an accident, possibly fatal. I have been trying to work with Nissan to have them simply give us a loaner truck for the eight weeks that will be required in order to do a thorough investigation. I'm not trying to cause them trouble but They told me I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST OF ANY LOANER TRUCK!!!.

This is the worst handling of a highly explosive situation (no pun intended) that I can imagine. They also said it’s up to THEIR discretion to decide if I would get reimbursed. Furthermore, they said I may be subject to STORAGE CHARGES AT THE LOCAL DEALER UNTIL THIS IS SETTLED. Is this incredible? Dakota from their arbitration group has been assigned to me. No person could have less skills given the severity of this incident. I asked for just two things: a loaner truck and commitment to make sure that any defects be not hidden from the public. DISGRACEFUL. WHO IS SAFE IN THEIR VEHICLES????

Here's the worst part. When I told them I demanded a loaner vehicle, they said the case was closed!!!! Mr/Mrs Dakota called the dealer and told them the case was closed and settled. Here is the warranty. Very clear. 5 years/100,000 miles (whichever occurs first). The Nissan Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the engine, transmission and transaxle, plus the drivetrain, as well as air bags, and related electronic control system. [*]

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

I purchased 2019 Nissan Sentra SV, and within 6 months of driving now my car doesn't pick up properly and I can hear machine noise from my car. It's just 1 year old and I am experiencing this issue. MY car heating also does not work fully, it takes at least 20mins. If I have kept my A/C or Heater on, then car does not go beyond 60MPH and I have to give maximum acceleration. Engine is faulty and Nissan Dealer is not ready to fix this.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Back on April 25th 2020 I traded in my Nissan Rogue sport at rt 46 nissan in Totowa nj. I leased an Altima. I find out at the end of October that the paperwork was not done and they say I am delinquent on my rogue. I have been going back and forth with the dealership and nissan corp for 2 months. They have destroyed mine and my wife's credit and it is December 29th and the problem is still going on. I will never buy a nissan again and I wish I could get rid of the one that I have now. If anybody needs a new vehicle I would not suggest 46 nissan or nissan corp at all.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

A Service Advisor left me in the waiting area 8 hours and still didn't do the work. Within that time frame only the oil and tires were changed. Rushing to get my car to me, a technician or other help misplaced a lug nut, then entered a charge on the invoice as it were missing when I got there. I filed a complaint about my experience to Nissan of North America Consumer Affairs who informed management of the complaint. And management didn't reply. After the unpleasant and unethical experience I had my vehicle service elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have owned a significant number of Nissan vehicles - 2 Maxima's, 2 Pathfinders, 2 Infiniti's - and after my recent experience, I will never purchase again. I have a 2017 Maxima in which I knew had a mechanical issue. At the time I made the appointment with local dealership to inspect, mileage was under 60,000 miles. After waiting 10 days for appointment, their assessment was that I need a new front left bearing hub - the challenge, after waiting for the appointment, the mileage was now 60,265 miles and the warranty ends at 60,000. Their suggestion was to discuss with Nissan Consumer Affairs.

Nissan position after more than a week of conversations - "We don't care that you are a life long customer and that we will lose your future business. We refuse to help you because you are 0.4% out of warranty, even though you had to wait 10 days for your appointment with one of our dealers." So charged close to $200 for the assessment on a part that should be covered under warranty and dealership looking for additional $300 for a repair in which I can purchase an official Nissan part online for $60. No help. No consideration. No further purchases from me on a brand that shows no appreciation for their customers.

Nissan Company Information