3.63/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan

Nissan is a Japanese manufacturer of cars, trucks, SUVs and electric cars for every lifestyle. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their many models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

My cars battery was still under warranty (which I was not aware) but Nissan roadside assistance sent a technician to me when my car was not starting up properly, who gave untruthful and misleading information that my battery was already passed 3 years. Complained to Nissan, these people in customer service was even more ridiculous, they said they did not change my battery last time, so they were not responsible for warranty claim. They were just a group of liars so please seriously consider whether you wanted to purchase from them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I took my 2017 Titan XD into Nissan to have it checked for engine light coming on. Diagnosis is that the cam sensors were bad and had sludge on them. They claimed it was not covered under the warranty due to lack of maintenance. I maintain my own vehicles therefore do not have records. I took my issue up with consumer affairs, and after 26 phone calls and 4 voice mails, I finally got a return phone call. According to Allie with Nissan, on a recorded line, that if you do not service your vehicle with Nissan, they will not cover any warranty issues. I’m pretty sure that’s not legal, but either way, I would not recommend Nissan for anything.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

In June 2018 I purchased a 2015 Pathfinder as well as a warranty for it. At the beginning of 2019 the air conditioning fan was knocking on the shroud so I took it to the dealership to get fixed. I got the run around from the service dept, had to rent a vehicle as the had no "loaners" available and then I had to pay a $250 deductible. A few days after the repair was done, I received a call from "Chelsea at Nissan Consumer Affairs." She was following up on the parts and service work recently done on my Pathfinder. I explained how unhappy I was with the service and personnel. She immediately offered me a $250 Nissan gift card.

After nine months and two follow up calls, where I actually spoke to Chelsea again, I still have not received even $1 towards the promised $250. I have now given up on pursuing it cuz I cant get any answer to my call attempts. Why promise something that is only going to result in not being fulfilled? I feel this whole scenario has been very unprofessional and should have either been handled as promised or dont bother even following up on service calls.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have 800 miles on my Altima. I got in the vehicle to start. A message came up. It didn't recognize my key. It started and broke down, I called and had the car towed on Black Friday. Sales was there when we arrived. Shop was closed; so I left the car for e days. Monday they had the car all day; kept charging the battery and it failed. They put a new battery in. I feel uneasy about my purchase. After reading other comments of frustrated Altima owners; I need reliability. I feel this will not be the last of the problems. I am documenting everything with this car. My frustration is with everyone asking me did I leave this on or that on. I have been driving a long time; I felt insulted. I was glad the drained battery wasn't my fault. I live in an area where to get to a specialist for medical needs we have to drive 3 to 5 hours away from home. That is why reliability is everything. I wouldn't buy this car again. 20 computers in one car; too much; more to break.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Paint peeling off on my 2015 Rogue, which is not even paid for yet. They refused any kind of assistance. My first and definitely my last Nissan. Their cars are junk as is their paint. Worst car manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. STAY AWAY FROM NISSAN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I will never again own a Nissan, especially if they continue putting CVT transmissions in them. I won't recommend a Nissan to anyone as well. If you are lucky, transmission may get you 100,000 miles. My first one went out at 89,000 and now, my second one is out. My first one was covered under the warranty, but the second was only good for 30 days on labor and 12 months for parts at a Nissan dealership. Both not even getting 100,000. I have also spent money on quite a few other repairs along the way. I take care of my vehicles and service them properly. Stay away from Nissan and CVT transmissions. If I could give zero stars, I would.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

The CVT Transmission is junk. Disintegrated at 76K miles. It is well documented the CVT transmission has a history of problems. Nissan only extended warranty of a very small subset of vehicles that have the CVT. I spoke to Nissan Corporate and they were unwilling to help. If you buy a Nissan, put away another $3k to $4k to rebuild the transmission.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I purchased this vehicle new in 2009 and have since had 3 failures since owning this car. Nissan installed what is called an Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL) that is designed to help prevent theft. Unfortunately if this part fails and it will about every 50,000-60,000 miles you will be unable to start the car even though mechanically there is nothing wrong with your car. I looked up other complaints and there is over 256k complaints on this issue alone yet Nissan will not back this part up. I paid to have it installed a 3rd time and was told that it was the 3rd generation on this part and that it would last but here I am 60,000 miles later and it broke again. I understand that my vehicle is 10 years old now but, I don't understand how Nissan can know that a part they make is defective and not come up with a solution or work around it leaving drivers completely stranded in a vehicle mechanically sound.

The repair for this is between $800-$1,100 each time. Nissan is aware of it and stopped installing it in all Nissan's and Infiniti's starting in 2012 but deny the part is defective. Knowing this I can't recommend that you buy any product from Nissan as there is no guarantee that they are going to back their product up and since this is a unique part built specifically for their vehicles only in 2009-2011 there are no aftermarket parts for this. If Nissan told me upfront that hey, this is a great engine and if you maintain it this vehicle will go at least 300k miles but, there is a part on it that can't be maintained and will break every 50k miles and costs $1,000 each time to repair I never would have bought it. I've owned 3 Nissan's in my life and this will be the last one I ever buy.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Long post... So I purchased a car brand new this past June (less than 3 months ago) from Gunn Nissan in San Antonio’s. Regret #1, buying from Gunn Nissan - bad delivery of a new vehicle. Regret #2, buying a Nissan - I have a lemon and want Nissan to buy it back. This has been an awful few months as a Nissan owners. Two major issues... Delivery of my new vehicle and major mechanical issue.

First of all - when I purchased the 2019 Nissan Armada platinum reserved brand new...there were deep scratches in the paint of the bumper and the bumper guard. I noticed this before driving off - shame on me for taking it then. A couple attempts at repairing it - photo attached of first repair when they had it for 24hrs and literally dabbed on some touch up paint (not very well) and left the bumper guard as is. It was finally painted in the body shop (yes, my brand new car) and it appeared that they sprayed bed liner on the bumper guard to cover those scratches. I was not happy with the repair but then again...there was nobody even there to ask how I felt or sign paperwork. I’m a busy person (single mom, 3 kids, multiple jobs and activities and it was not high on my priority list as it had already taken so much of my time. Shame on me again for not making a bigger fuss then).

Oh - and it only came with one key and they had to locate floor mats and take from a different vehicle since they couldn’t find the ones that came with mine. I had to go back on a Friday when the person who could program a new car keys was in since they couldn’t locate the second key. I did ask by the way during this time to please just trade it in for a similarly equipped vehicle and the manager was happy to tell me that he’d give me blue book value... It was less than two weeks old at this point and already they had attempted the first cosmetic repair.

Fast forward a couple months. Last week I got a message - BCI malfunction and it wouldn’t start. Eventually got it started while waiting for the tow truck and just a few minutes later I couldn’t get it out of park. Took it to dealership next morning. REPAIR #1 Thursday - dropped it off at 8am and picked it up around 2:30 pm that afternoon. They replaced the brake switch - didn’t make it a mile down the road when the same BCI malfunction light came on, turned around and took it right back

REPAIR #2 - dropped it off Thursday afternoon around 2:30 pm picked it up Friday around noon. They replaced the brake sensor. Made it about 3 miles this time and the same message came on again... BCI malfunction. Called this time furious and they offered to pick up the car from my work. They pick up my car around 3pm and had it Friday, Saturday (their service dept is open all day Saturday), and Monday - I got a call on Monday around 3:45 which they left a voicemail because I was on the phone with Nissan USA regarding my case and replied to an email I had sent earlier that day checking on the status of repair.

In the email and on the voicemail they clearly stated they had replaced the front end collision sensor and did the alignment for it, test drove the Armada and no lights came on. So it was ready but they said they would keep it until the next day (Tues) to drive it again just to be safe. I consider this to have been REPAIR #3 since it was the third part and attempt at repairing it.

I emailed Tuesday afternoon thinking I would have had my car by now since the Monday test drive went well. The service advisor replied saying that it looks good and they were out test driving it and if it worked they’d bring it to me shortly. Got an email about an hour later saying they were going to order another part. So to me... REPAIR #4 attempt. I replied... So the light went off again huh and they said yes. Got an email Wed afternoon that part was in and replaced but they wanted to again keep it overnight to be safe. Thursday everything was still good and they delivered my Armada to me Thursday late morning.

When they delivered the car the paperwork did not include repair #3 so I didn’t want to sign paperwork. I called the service advisor who told me they never replaced the front sensor even though I have an email and a voicemail stating that they did and it had been completed. He tells me it’s a miscommunication and I didn’t understand but nothing had been replaced. I reluctantly signed the paperwork but figured since I knew I had the voicemail & email as back up I would be good.

Lemon law states that you must attempt the same repair 4 times to be considered a lemon. Am I crazy to think it’s a lemon or should I be happy that I don’t have the BCI malfunction message??? The fact that I have them caught in an outright lie is very concerning and shady. This is such an abbreviated version - if you’d like a longer version I have it typed up and ready to share with you - just message me.

I could go on and on about how nobody returns calls as well but that’s all just petty I guess at this point and my main concern is a vehicle that is less than three months old with this many issues and the lack of response and deceitfulness of the dealership repairing it. Can’t get through to a manager or get a call returned on many occasions. Once you buy the car they could CARE LESS as soon as that paperwork is signed. I will say that I feel both my salesperson and service advisor were both very nice and just had their hands tied by Gunn management.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I bought a new 2016 Nissan Versa. One day I get in the car, shut the door and the driver's side airbags deployed. Car was parked and off when this happened. I have been fighting for over a year trying to get it fixed. I had to go to hospital because stuff got in my eyes and hurt my neck which I had to file on my own insurance. Reopened the case again #**. Talked to attorney that wants the data from car showing the time it went off and my hospital records showing the time I went there so they can file personal injury suit. Not sure what to do. All I want is my car fixed correctly.

Nissan Company Information