2. Automotive

Mercedes-Benz

4.0/5 (767 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes-Benz Financial Services is an in-house financing provider for vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and other brands under its parent company, Daimler AG. It provides an online payment calculator, and you can apply online or at a local dealership to get preapproved. After your purchase, you can manage your account and make secure payments online.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Mercedes-Benz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercedes-Benz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercedes Benz?

Original review: June 22, 2021

This dealership should be called the Pinocchio Mercedes Dealership because their deceptive practices are unbelievable. I leased a new Mercedes 2 weeks ago with the only requirement that I'd be able to keep the same features of my 2019 car. They lied and cajoled me into a lease only to later find out that I had better features on my 2019 car. They agreed to return my car after going back and forth over the past two weeks after I was able to show that promises were made in writing that couldn't be delivered. So they promised to return my car that had 11,000 miles on it two weeks ago and take back the SUV that didn't have satellite radio or a decent set of speakers or the option of navigation.

Today I return their car that I drove for 112 miles. They give me the key to my car which someone has driven almost 2,000 miles with all the filth of the employee that they allowed to drive my car. Everything about this place reminds you of a car dealership that relies on bait and switch sales. Even the manager, Katrina, who went out of her way to tell me that Mercedes would not take advantage of a senior citizen and that as an ** she treats everyone as she would want her ** older parents treated. This is not information that I solicited as clearly she was trying to demonstrate that she would never take advantage of senior citizens. Well if I was a betting woman I would bet that the only ** DNA that Katrina has is from an ** ancestor.

The way a business treats current customers merely demonstrates how you will be treated if you lease or buy from this dealership. As a clinical psychologist I don't need to go out on a limb to tell you that if a person lies about something innocuous then they won't hesitate to lie to get your business. Shame on Mercedes for treating your customers with such disrespect and disdain. The fact that they couldn't be bothered to wash or vacuum a car that they drove to Timbuktu (in 2 weeks???) during a pandemic and never disclosed the wear and tear on my car by an employee tells you everything you need to know about Mercedes San Francisco!

Original review: June 21, 2021

My 2015 ML350 Model, had 82,000 miles, then the catalytic converter need a replacement. Why? No solution from the manufacturer. The new replacement was very costly. I need help. Maybe a recall is needed.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I purchased dealership certified GLB 250 with 7000 miles on it. The car was not driven for few months due to covid. After car had 15,000 miles and was due for maintenance, I was informed that the tires needs to be replaced. The car is less than a year old and drove 8000 more miles when we were informed to change the tires. I contacted the dealership to find out the reason for tire replacement only on 15000, I was informed that the tires are performance tires and are good for 15,000 - 20,000 miles only. This is unusual for a luxury car to have low performance. The brand has a reputation of a durable and sturdy car but to my disappointment I had to deal with the this issue on only 15,000 miles out of which I only drove 8,000.

I contacted the Mercedes Corporate to talk to consumer affairs' and spoke to Caroline who informed me that she will talk to dealership to take an action for goodwill and brand reputation. The solution provided me was poor and a negligible discount was offer. I am not happy with the Brand, the customer relations, customer service and the dealership.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I bought a certified Mercedes E350 at a Mercedes dealership in NJ in 2016. This vehicle was bought at night. I was given the vehicle to take home and since it was certified with a full warranty, I felt confident that the vehicle was in great condition with no issues. After all, the certified warranty has requirements the vehicle must meet before it can be certified. My vehicle must have been the exception. There was a long list of issues which made it apparent that this vehicle shouldn't have been certified. I was lied to about the vehicle being in an accident, bad brakes, squeaky steering, broken remote, deep 18 inch long gouges in the windshield and rear glass, many other things and, the focus of this story, the TeleAid was intermittently inoperable.

Some of these issues were fixed by me having to get them to pick up the car and take it the car back to the dealership for repair. Some issues were created by them driving it. Once I received my car back with bent wheels which were the result of potholes near the dealership. The dealer brought it back anyway, I had to get them to come get it so they could fix the wheels. They "fixed" the wheels, but 6 months later, the finish of the wheels was faulty. They blamed it on me saying the other side of the car were the wheels they had fixed and the other wheels had to be something I did. My car but they know more than me about it. Even now, 5 years after purchase, it still has issues that the dealer never fixed.

One issue is the TeleAid system is inoperable much of the time as I mentioned above. This is the system that costs $600 per year for the subscription and does basically the same thing as OnStar but for twice the cost. I brought this in to the Mercedes dealer where I purchased it numerous times while still under the certified warranty for the TeleAid to be repaired. Every time I was told they couldn't find the issue. This left me without the option to use the system for safety and convenience due to it's unreliability.

Now 5 years later, I had to bring my car to the Mercedes dealer, a different Mercedes dealer, for the airbag recall among other things. The mechanic runs a "short scan" and finds the TeleAid issue on the first day its there. The antenna has been the issue all this time since it was first purchased. Will Mercedes own the issue since it shouldn't have been there when I bought the "Certified" vehicle in the first place? NO. Will Mercedes honor the original warranty since the issue was brought to their attention while the car was covered by the certified warranty? NO. Even though it was brought to the Mercedes dealer for this issue at least 4 times within the first year I owned the vehicle? NO. Even though I have documentation from the dealership showing I told them about the problem and they didn't fix it, documentation from the time it was covered? NO.

Even though the corporate customer service representative told me at the time to document the TeleAid issue so that if its figured out when the warranty is expired, they will know it was an issue under the warranty and they will fix it for free? NO. What does Mercedes wonderful customer service department say? Not the dealership but the Mercedes main customer service, the ones who are supposed to help when the dealer doesn't? They said, "Well, the representative who said that doesn't work here anymore." They said they would give me a sales incentive to buy another Mercedes, but they will not take financial responsibility for the issue because it's not under warranty. They said this repeatedly like they were reading a script.

They are actually under the impression that a customer could be treated this poorly and then, because of a nondescript sales incentive, the customer will forget their entire frustrating experience and buy another Mercedes. I was under the belief that Mercedes was a company known for excellence in customer service. I found they would rather lose a customer than pay to fix a vehicle issue that should have never been there when the car was sold. The best part of Mercedes being willing to lose a customer is that the issue would only cost $240.00 to fix.

In my opinion, what the dealer does is puts a certified warranty on the car, which they pay for. Then they leave to problems for the customer to find, bring the car back in, and then charge the warranty company for the repairs they perform. That is exactly what happened with me. So, in closing, I have lost almost all respect for Mercedes as a company. With the exception of a few dealership employees, the company is horrible to deal with. They refuse to do the right thing by their customers. The only reason for the 2 star rating instead of a 1 star rating is my experience with one service manager. He deserves 5 stars and a raise, the rest of this company was a waste of my money and many hours of my time in trying to resolve issues that should have never existed. If this saves one person from blindly buying a certified Mercedes, I'll be happy. Don't trust the image, it's not accurate.

Original review: April 28, 2021

A few days ago my 5 year old daughter spilled a 1/3 full kids water bottle on the floorboard of the right rear seat. The water bottle holds 12 ounces so I estimate this was 4 ounces of water. 30 minutes later the car started smoking inside then the dashboard display went blank. We took the car to Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz and today received the news from their service department that the Control Unit had shorted out from what appeared to be a clear liquid, leaving us to assume it was caused by the 4 ounces of water. The Control Unit is located directly under the front passenger seat. It is only separated by the carpet. Of course, they said this is not covered under warranty and the cost to replace this unit is almost $8,000.

Why would Mercedes place a computer for the car under the passenger seat without at least making it a little water resistant? In rainy days people are constantly getting in the car with wet feet. When you have kids it's not uncommon for things to get spilled on the floor. For such a thing to cause the brains of the car to malfunction is simply poor design. It makes me question other design components from this manufacturer. Not well thought out!

Original review: April 7, 2021

My husband, mom, and whole family drives a Mercedes for safety but I will never purchase one again. The software failed in my 1 month old car and they were so ruthless, demeaning and rude about it. I could find help or answers and they never provided caring customer service. Never again!

Original review: March 12, 2021

In 2018 I purchased a new 2018 E class sedan. It's mostly a great car. However when I purchased the car, it had live traffic feeds to the GPS system that showed where traffic is heavy (as one has on I-phones, Waze, etc.). This has proven to be a very useful part of the GPS system. The subscription for this service expired after three years, and I tried to renew it. After repeated phone calls to Embrace, I was informed that Mercedes no longer offers live traffic feeds on cars made before 2019.

I was told something along the lines of " the software company is no longer supporting older cars". This seems to me TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORY -- Mercedes prides itself with "the best or nothing"... well, as far as live traffic feeds are concerned I now have nothing. The dealership service department have not have not been helpful in this regard -- it seems that software innovation such as live traffic feeds are handled at a corporate level and they have very little understanding of them.

Original review: March 6, 2021

We had our car serviced here and when we got it back it CAUGHT ON FIRE and so it begins. Trust me... It's worth the read. :) Here's the situation: A couple of days before Xmas, our car shut off in a parking lot and wouldn't turn on even after roadside assistance came and we hooked up a new battery. We had it towed to Autohaus on Edens, Northbrook Il based on a recommendation and because it is a Mercedes dealer and we wanted trustworthy service. They did a diagnostic and had a hard time figuring out the issue.

Tom ** was very communicative and explained they were checking the battery and all the electronic systems etc but it was taking some time. Finally, we go word that they had identified that it was the EIS system. They replaced that system, completed the installation and they did a multipoint inspection to identify potential issues as well as confirm that the battery, cables, mountings etc. were inspected and were AOK. This took 10 days.

We got the car back. It CAUGHT ON FIRE while were were driving. The fire was where the battery is located underneath the passenger seat with flames and smoke billowing up. There was no indication anywhere on the dashboard that there was a problem. Thank god We were not on a highway and that one of my kids or spouse weren't sitting there when this happened or we could have been killed or badly burned. Luckily it was snowing a boatload and we got the fire out by shoving snow on it and when the smoke cleared, we noticed the red safety plate that typically covers the positive connection had been removed and was sitting placed in the back of the passenger seat. We took pics, contacted our insurance who told us to contact the dealer and let them know once we had a cause.

We contacted Tom ** at Autohaus on the Edens and explained the situation. He advised us to have it towed back there so they could do an "investigation". We had the car towed up there and he called a couple of days later and stated that they needed us to authorize $500.00 to pay for a further diagnostic because they had to pull up the seat to determine the cause of the fire. He believed it was an issue with something shorting out the battery but needed confirm. We agreed to the diagnostic. He commented that they never touched the battery the first time we brought it in. We reminded him (we have his voicemail) that when we brought the car there the first time, he let us know they couldn't figure out the problem as they had tested the battery and it was working fine.

They also completed installation of the battery (he confirmed) and finally they provided us with a multiple point written inspection report where they specifically stated that they inspected the battery, cables, mountings etc. and all are AOK. We again brought up the missing red safety cap that should have been covering the positive wires and he stated that doesn't matter and isn't the issue. We asked if the exposed wires that should have been covered by the cap could have caused the fire if they sparked and he said he wasn't sure but would know more once they did a full investigation.

We waited and then received a "report" where no diagnostic was included but rather they just supplied the cost of the damage and repairs for $4600.00. Included in this report was a new multipoint inspection where they stated that they inspected the battery, wires, mountings and cables and all were AOK. Except that the battery had melted as had the connecting wires and cables. WHAT? Hmmmm.

He followed up with a phone call and stated that they thought the battery was faulty and we should go after the battery company. We asked why that wasn't listed as a diagnostic he said he couldn't legally state that but we actually paid 500.00 to figure out the cause and we would need that to go back to the battery company. We also asked bout that multipoint inspection stating all was ok with the battery, cables, mountings etc. When, in fact, they had been in a fire and all was melted/seriously damaged. What we learned from Tom ** is that these inspections are a "courtesy" and they may or may not actually do them! What?

I brought my car to Mercedes because I trust they do what they said they did. I trust their recommendations. It turns out that they don't actually do the inspection. These two reports confirm this fact. Which brings me back to the first time around. If they had actually done the inspection, wouldn't they have either picked up on a loose wire and/or the missing plate? Seems reasonable. Note to self: They do NOT do the inspection, just say they do.

We asked him to document the faulty battery and then we got another report where the multipoint inspection reflects that the battery, cables, mounting etc. are NOT AOK and also NOT documenting a faulty battery as the cause but instead identifying some loose wires by the positive battery cable (that would have been covered had the cap been on or picked up if they actually did the inspection) added 250$ to the bill and sent it over. 4900.00 and no cause or accountability. At this point in the conversation, we contacted the head of service Jim ** who had Tom call us back because he was too busy. You can imagine our frustration! The worst part is Tom was very polite and kept saying we want you to have a great experience and be happy. Not possible at this point.

We brought our car here in December and spent 1800.00. Got it back and then it CAUGHT ON FIRE while we were driving! We bring it back again and get a huge runaround with no clear cause, conflicting reports, phone calls that conflict what was written and all the while they have our car as a hostage! Finally after 2 weeks without a car Jim ** agrees to talk to us. He does not appear to have an understanding of the details to date and the gist is he asks: "What do you want? Do you want me to pay for this? Cause that isn't gonna happen. Call your insurance and have an adjuster come out. We don't want to push a claim on them but that's why you have insurance. Once we figure it out we can get you loaner and I can cover your deductible."

Progress! I contact my insurance to explain that we are at an impasse and give them the details. They agree that this sounds very suspect and they get involved (thank God) but due to Covid it will take them a few days to get out there. I call Jim back with the update and he says great but no deal on the loaner. There is a catch. I can get a loaner once insurance agrees that they will pay for it...interesting.... The next day, Tom ** calls to reinforce that we will NOT get a loaner until insurance agrees to pay. He ends the convo with we want you to have a great experience. Seriously? (Note: if you have a Mercedes, get rental insurance with your car insurance!)

Finally insurance and Autohaus strike a deal that is less than what they charged us initially at $4200.00 and Tom calls to state that it will take them another 7-10 days but we can have a loaner as long as we bring it back every 3 days... no exceptions. What?! Has anyone ever gotten a loaner for longer than 3 days from Autohaus on Edens? I know I have from Mercedes downtown. We live 40 minutes away; we have 4 kids; We have been without our car for 2.5 weeks (due to what appears to be negligence). We never got a loaner the first time either....oh and we had our car serviced there and then IT CAUGHT ON FIRE which is why we need a loaner! This was the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

When we go to pick up the car, there is yet another report differing from the first 4 and they have added charges for additional parts but don't know what the parts are. Literally a change for parts unidentified. They told us to pay the difference and that they had contacted our insurance who would reimburse us except...wait for it...not accurate. And regarding those outstanding charges that we paid for? They will get back to us on what they were for. Still waiting.

What about MERCEDES USA you may ask yourself? Well we also involved Mercedes USA and spoke with Susan, Executive Referral Manager at HQ in Georgia and she is supposedly investigating to see if there was a car malfunction but dealerships are basically franchises and they have no involvement AT ALL! What? They said this type of situation has nothing to do with them.

Also she indicated that if we got the car fixed, they may not be able to investigate which is ridiculous. You would think Mercedes USA would want to inspect what happened when a Mercedes Benz catches fire at the battery under the passenger seat while being driven and there is no indication other than the flames and smoke engulfing the car that there is an issue? And that this occurred immediately after having it serviced at a Mercedes Benz Dealership. I guess not. It is so far down their list that after we submitted the photos and took the time to fill out all the information she has not responded in any way. Thankfully no one was hurt or killed or this would be a very different conversation.

How did it end? We got our car back and we got the battery back as well. We are waiting to hear what's next from Mercedes. It was too big of a deal to not leave you with the details so there you have it! Don't go to Autohaus on Edens and if you do: know that the multipoint inspection isn't real. To be quite frank do yourself a favor and don't buy MERCEDES. If you want a German car...I would say look to buy and Audi or a BMW.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I have owned and leased multiple vehicles with Mercedes for years; one, which is under warranty, is the subject of this complaint. The moonroof opened, and never closed; because it is still under warranty, I took it to our nearest Mercedes dealership for repairs. This was in November of 2020. Now in March of 2021, my vehicle sits, abandoned and without repairs in the same dealership. I’m being informed there is no E.T.A. for the PRODUCTION of the required part that has failed on the moonroof mechanism. To make matters worse, they can’t even force the door shut so that the interior of my vehicle isn’t subjected to the elements, or for me to be able to drive it until the part arrives.

We were given the customer service contact information for Mercedes Customer Service, and have come to find that they have absolutely no interest in aiding us in this issue. We were assigned to the Executive Referral Manager, Melicie. She took our information, informed us that she would be making a case file for us, and would attempt to find us options or some sort of resolution. Then, that was it; it’s been over two weeks and haven’t heard back from her; she will not return our phone calls, and when other representatives answer and make a friendly comment about “oh she’s in today”, after that they are unable to locate her or get her on the phone and “would we like her voicemail”. No I do not want her voicemail any more, I want my car back!

I appreciate the loaner and I appreciate all that Star Motor has done for us, because they have their hands tied - but isn’t Customer Service here to Service the Customer? The loaner is not the sports SUV that I bought my wife, the car she loves but now is weary to have back because of the unavailability of parts. We continue to pay for this vehicle, we continue to pay for the full coverage insurance, we continue to wait. Is that what we’re supposed to do when we’ve been such faithful customers for so many years? Is this what thousands of dollars a month buys you? I would like a resolution, I would love a call back - I want the type of service I thought Mercedes was supposed to give their customers. Is it fair that this representative, Melicie, is laughing at us - or doesn’t want to deal with us, a Mercedes customer? Maybe an $84k car note to them is not a big deal or important, but this is years of hard work for myself and my wife.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Still arguing with #Mercedes about the mold building up and smell in the AC system on the 2016 GLC300. Had this issue since new! They will not stand behind their products even though there’s a class action lawsuit. Everything in the lawsuit says they have to pay for future repairs, yet every dealer refuses to do it. Any attempt of remediation results in being re-read the terms of the settlement, and then transferred all over the place until there’s no solution. I have two Mercedes I bought new: an E300 in 2017 and a GLC300 in 2016. These will be my LAST Mercedes cars. Their brand name and the premium costs you pay mean nothing as they do NOT support their customers or the products they make. I will be replacing my cars with Tesla or another luxury brand going forward. Keep losing customers MB!

Mercedes-Benz Company Information