Mercedes-Benz
3.66/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes-Benz is a German luxury car manufacturer. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

711 Mercedes-Benz Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

This was the worst service department I've ever encountered! My car had problems from day one and I've been back nine times with my car out of service for over 50 days and still the problems remain. The service also put charges on my credit card that were completely unauthorised and to this day has never responded as to why they did that. Even the Santa Monica dealership is awful. I cannot wait to be done with this horrible lease and move on to a better company! I have been in touch with their corporate apartment and they have been just as pathetic. I always thought so highly as a Mercedes name but I realized it's just a brand and nothing more.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My wife recently exited our C300 MB to come back into our home. She came back to the car only to find it had driven off down our hill, thru our brick pony wall and finally thru our neighbor's boulder ditch. 7 weeks later, the insurance company totaled the car. In the meantime we have been complaining numerous times to MB head office over the fact that the car has always exhibited a safety feature in which it shifts into park automatically whenever, and every time, the door is opened. The one time we needed it to, it didn't. Failed completely and now we have lost our car. What really is disappointing is the fact that MB USA has completely ignored this and frankly if this safety feature doesn't perform, then the next time the car runs away on someone, the results could be more tragic than it was this time. Shame shame shame on MB for caring so little to even address this with us.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I purchased a 2016 “Certified” Mercedes Benz GL550 with low mileage. Like maybe 22,000 miles? This is my 4th Mercedes I purchased and got serviced through MB dealerships. Two were new. Two were certified pre-owned. I did not even haggle with Silver Star Mercedes in New York on the price. I purchased a number of upgraded warranties, bringing the total up almost to $80,000. This vehicle was advertised as “certified.” That includes a 27 point checklist on the exterior of the vehicle. When the vehicle delivered to me, I sent pictures to the dealer within an hour of receiving it.

There were a number of issues. I sent pics and contacted them, including the owner. The GM, Rob, got back to me and left a message. I tried contacting him back many times, left messages and never got hold of him. Finally, I left a message suggesting he text or email me a time he is available to speak. No response. So I contacted the owner again. No response. I live in Pittsburgh so I couldn’t just go there. Finally, I called a Mercedes Benz US customer service. They said I have to work through the dealership to resolve it. I told them I have tried and they won’t respond! So I tried to call Mercedes a Benz Customer Service another day, hoping another employee would be more helpful.

Again, he told me I had to work through dealership for resolution. I said AGAIN that they won’t get back to me. They wouldn’t even call them for me and ask them to please respond. Like I said, this is my 4th Mercedes, with each getting more expensive! I was considering buying a G-Wagon, but forget it! I’m DONE with a Mercedes! I’m going back to BMW. I NEVER in a million years expected such a terrible experience from Mercedes! The damages were only about $1,500 to fix. My local dealer was appalled and got me an estimate. Never buy a Mercedes if you are buying a certified vehicle that you hope the company stands behind!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I been going through it with Mercedes Benz USA since 2017. I purchased a 2011 S400 in 2016 that one day just wouldn’t start out the blue. I sent it to the Mercedes dealer for repairs. For 2 months they told me they couldn’t figure out the problem. They said every test came back good but they think it might be the hybrid battery. I then was told it may be covered by a state warranty or by Mercedes. I started pricing the battery and it was roughly $5000. I was just preparing myself to pay. I continue to call and they continue to not have an answer for me but they kept me in a loaner for 2 months. Then one day out the blue my service rep called me and said it wasn’t covered under warranty. He told me that it was going to cost $11,000 for the repair.

After getting off the phone with him to make the decision if I want to pay or not, I called back to see what that price covered and was told it’s for the battery. A day later I received an email with the statement of charges. That’s when I saw they need to replace something else. They need to replace the Power Electronic Module. I found this weird and called my service rep who was now out of town. So this when things really got fishy to me. I then did a google search about the part and found that it had a Service Campaign Announcement that came out in 2012. I then call Mercedes to see if my car was on that list to be replaced. I was told no I wasn’t on the list but later I called and was told just I was on the list. That when I asked why it’s not covered. I was then told it was covered because the warranty had expired. I told them that the Service Campaign for repair said it was indefinite. They said they had to call the manufacture.

Days later I called corporate about the issue and was told they could give me a discount on a car. That they would not honor their Service Campaign announcement. I contacted the office of Consumers. They contacted Mercedes and was then told that they already replaced. We then sent the car fax report over that should it hasn’t been replaced. Mercedes at this point sent a letter back refusing to comment anymore. So they put out expenses pre broken cars and expect to to fix them when they break. They lie and steal from their customers. I have fought overseas just to be ripped off. This is not the American way!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a new GLS 550 SUV in 2017 to replace our 2004 Toyota Sequoia with over 200,000 miles. The Mercedes has been a disappointment from day 1. Terrible handling in rain and snow. The ride is stiff and uncomfortable. Expect to pay over $2,000 for tires every 20,000 miles. Simple oil change and service will set you back several hundred. We could never get the radio/nav to consistently work in spite of numerous trips to dealership. The best part is we leased this vehicle in 2017 and the lease expires soon. We are under our mileage since we continue to use the old Toyota Sequoia as it is more comfortable. We actually plan on paying the remaining 2 months on the lease and returning vehicle early since it only takes up space in the garage. Our next purchase will be another Toyota.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercedes Benz?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

****BUYER BEWARE**** I made the serious mistake buying the 2019 mind you, brand new 16 test miles on it, I thought I finally got my 'dream car' in the past. I did read and hear about buyers of MB who had a lot of complaints (not about the A-220 in all fairness here) but I was doing a lot of wishful-thinking and giving the Benz the benefit of the doubt and a chance; things were going great, it was babied, pampered, driven gingerly, and never rained on at all; well going home one late eve with 580 miles to note, I got a message saying 'faulty right passenger airbag, service needed'... I said "WTF?!?! W/ only 580 miles on it?!?!"

The next day since it was too late, I didn't play the phone game, I took it to the dealership where I bought it. MB of Motorworld in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Well the dumb-act kicked in when I went to the service counter, they did assist me, and tried ordering the part after the techs ran the scan code, telling me, "We will have this here tomorrow and Monday at the latest be fixed." (Total BS!) Even though I did believe them; they did issue me a loaner that I drove for nearly 2 weeks I'll get to this here.

Here comes Monday. I was told the wrong part was ordered. Someone else told me it's on backorder, I said, "Dammit. They cant even lie straight!" So MB customer service rep Ralph BTW promised me the sun, moon and the stars with compensation, a buy-back option, or trade assist to start over with a different a 220===talk is cheap, empty promises, and NOTHING in writing, go figure! (Keep in mind we're talking about a brand new Benz here, just bought and put 580 miles on it, now in for service.)

The best part (not!) I was told the part would take, ready for this....2-4 weeks from Germany!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? I said; my car was by then at the dealer not moved, not reparked. Just left to bake in the 90 temps sun for almost 2 weeks! I drove the loaner more than my own car (not by miles) just in general and this made no sense to me esp being so new I was going through this and NO efforts by MB to help me etc; I was then told by Ralph almost week 3 BTW, MB wouldn't do a trade assist or buy out, mayyyybe compensate me some other way.."Woww" I said, thanks a lot MB for nothing!

However in PA here the lemon law states a vehicle in service longer than 30 days is a lemon. I said, "So this happens at 580 miles babied by me, what's in the next 580 miles then??" So I took a small hit, and traded out, I couldnt be happier now since I got the last laugh MB. =) This was the other car I had my eye on in the running, got it after all, never again M Benz. Thanks for nothing, zero trust, ill I was attempting to do, was buy a new car from you.

Original review: July 28, 2019

In November of 2018 I purchased a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 from Mercedes Music City in Nashville, Tenn. It had 20,000 miles and several months left on the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I live in Gainesville, Ga so flew there and drove it home. After driving it for 700 miles the check engine light came on and took it to RBM Mercedes of Roswell, GA. They found a few particles of something that was never identified residue in the fuel tank. I also found out the prior owner had check engine light issues also. RBM and Mercedes corporate determined it must be something I put in there and it contaminated the whole fuel system and now it needed $15,000 worth of repairs (whole fuel system needed replacement). I had driven it 700 miles and put 2 tanks of fuel in it. They refused to fix it. I did a lot of research on the internet.

They charged me over $1,000 for cleaning out the tank and fuel lines and I left. I took it to an independent Diesel mechanic who tested the injector pump and said it wasn't putting out enough pressure. He replace it and the lift pump in the tank. Cost for repair was $2700. Pump was a warranty item. There was nothing in the old pump. It was just defective. Dealer and Mercedes misdiagnosed the problem and will not pay the repair. They insist they were right. The woman I spoke to at Mercedes was arrogant and didn't give a crap what I had to say or what I could prove. If you’re thinking of buying a Mercedes- don't. Buy a different Vehicle. This will be my last Mercedes.

Original review: July 17, 2019

We bought a 2020 GLE 450 over a month ago. The dealership experience from the beginning has been nothing short of a nightmare. The salesman was pushy and rushed us to make a decision based on other customers arriving in one hour to buy the vehicle out from under us. Once we decided to buy the vehicle the Mercedes Concierge was unavailable to ensure all features were operational prior to our taking possession. The salesman muddled his way through the features. When we left the AI was not fully functional but we were assured that “it just needed to finish loading”. Well, that couldn’t have been further from the truth!

The vehicle has been in the shop at a different (much better) Mercedes service department for over three weeks now. We finally found out that we need a whole new command unit that has to ship directly from Germany! We’ve been told it may be another month or more until we get our vehicle fixed. The service department told us that it appears that the Walnut Creek dealership KNEW the AI was not functioning when we bought it because it had been reset 4 days prior to our purchase!!

The other issue has to do with our trade-in. The Walnut Creek dealership mailed the pay off for our trade in to the wrong place! The check has been lost for three weeks and each time I inquire I get a different story about what happened and where the check went. This seems borderline criminal! We have contacted Corporate on two separate occasions with no resolve and at this point the only help or communications we are receiving is from the current service department.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I went into Walters Mercedes Benz in Riverside to try and figure what could be the problem of the noise - I had just purchased the car from a friend - and he didn't want me to have any problems so he paid $4,000 for a diagnostic check up to make sure all was good. When I was at Walters - not sure if he was a salesman or a mechanic, but he said that that it is a common occurrence for the roof window to fail. He estimated $1600 to have it repaired. I have just finished to talking to Mercedes Benz, and got the total runaround, Two people there Tara, and Antonio, said that they were unaware of any problem. How about you. Please let me know if you have the problem and how you solved same. Carma. **.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I have a 2 year old, C class AMG, still under MB warrantry. When bought from a non franchised MB dealer which had 4,500 on the clock when bought - It now has 7,800 on the clock. In that time the front discs have been changed once at 6,000 miles and are now due for change again. With a different issue. For the first week or two, the brakes were perfect. Then I could feel the brake pedal was pulsing. After a new set of MB discs. Current issue with these, is horrendous vibration on the car all over the car at minimum braking. (Anything above 20mph). Hard braking, the vibration disappears until you start easing off on the brakes. Or, you get below 20mph.

3 weeks ago, it was booked into, first MB (Solihull) dealership, on latest discs changed at 5,500 roughly and car was showing 7,000. Lucas over the phone called me and said front discs are warped. Told him not correct (or words to that effect.) Can't be, it's had new MB discs. He told me. "In which case take it back to the (non) franchise dealer you bought it from and get them to repair it"... which I was not happy with it the slightest. So, I talked to the manager of the dealership and he pacified me by saying, "it's a known issue, when bolting the wheels up to the hub" (Basically fed me **, it turns out).

So, two weeks ago, took it to an independent garage. After telling them the issues. They said instead of just slapping new discs on. They would check everything. So, they clocked the wheels to the hub. Both fronts running true. Then clocked the front hubs. Driver's side was running out 0.005 though. Passenger side was running bang on. (So, MB Solihull were wrong, and were effectively going to fit new discs to a hub that was out?)

At that point I'd decided never to use MB Solihull again. Due to Lucas telling me to take the car back to the dealers I'd bought it from over the phone and an incorrect fault diagnosis. I think they were more interested in carrying out the software update to the powertrain module, than sorting out the issue I had with the brakes (Probably never even took the wheels off. Just drove the car. Experienced the vibration and fed me, what is in the customers handbook). Lucas said he would e-mail me the report. Needless to say, that never happened. Yesterday the non-franchised dealers I bought it from, had it booked it into 2nd different MB (Coventry) garage. I though to cure the problem. The dealer told MB Coventry, everything we'd learned from the independent garage.

I phoned MB Coventry at 2.30pm and was eventually told that they'd found the problem. It was rust on the hub and you have a broken bearing. "So you've cured the problem?" "No." "We've not been told to cure it." And started to talk about corrosion on the mating faces. etc. Straight out of your "How to get out of sorting a known issue handbook." (I was not polite, as by then I'd realised that I would be driving this heap of scrap on the motorway for another week).

Got off the phone and phoned up the garage who stripped the car down last week. They said no signs of rust on the hub. Then phoned the dealer and apparently MB had quoted for Two hubs. Even though one hub was running true... not sure what else they quoted for. Just knew they were trying to rip me off. I then went to the Coventry branch to pick the car up and discuss with the manager, the issues I have. He shows me pics of the hub and shows pics of the broken bearing. So, incredulously I say to him, "you've stripped a car down and put it back together again with a broken front hub bearing, and are going to hand that car over to me?" (Basically called him a liar as I didn't believe the hub he was showing me, was mine (Even if it was. The implications of giving a car back to a customer with a fault such as that, doesn't bear thinking about).

He talked to me, out by the car and went all over the wheels looking for any signs of bangs or refurbishment, even suggested the wheels weren't the originals... While he was doing this, I noticed that the outside areas of the wheels, were still covered in brake dust. So, voiced my doubts that they'd even taken the wheels off, at all. He persuaded me they had, as the wheel nut areas you could see no brake dust. Which brings me to the question that if MB's wheels/hubs, etc. are so critical on their mating faces that they need to be spotlessly clean. Surely the very first thing MB should do, before removing the wheels, is to remove any brake dust on the outside? So, when bolting up the wheels, Your not compounding the problem?

(The car is vibrating all over the place. A bit more brake dust isn't going to make that much difference). The manager also blamed refurbished wheels? Everything basically that was not covered, by the MB manufacturing warranty. I then said, "there is no way I would ever, take a car of mine to MB for anything and I wouldn't trust their mechanics to put my great grand daughter's Lego together if their latest diagnosis on my car is to be believed." I will never buy an MB again, as they obviously have a serious design defect, that needs addressing, if the brake discs are that fragile. Manager agreed by looking sheepish, if that makes sense.

My perception of MB is that they like scaring people into throwing their money away. Total whitewash with respect to my customers complaint. Obviously couldn't give a damn about their (ex) customers. More interested in trying to screw as much money out of gullible customers as they can. Clearly a good business model. But one ex-customer isn't going to make a difference.

Mercedes-Benz Company Information