1.48/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 12, 2018

590 Mazda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 12, 2018

I purchased my 2013 Mazda 2 from Daytona Mazda Mitsubishi back in November of 2015. I registered the vehicle with Mazda USA online since I live in Tennessee and the car was delivered to me by the dealership. I have been having significant issues with the steering and saw that there was a recall sent out by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration back in 2016. I have sent the dealership and Mazda several emails over two years. They have chosen to ignore.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Mazda 6 emergency brake caliper recall - I can't believe that I have been a Mazda fan this long and am treated so badly. I have been swearing by their cars for years and now. I won't anymore. I got a recent recall (I've had them in the past) and was treated poorly. Actually, they refused to send me a refund for work that was done prematurely because of a faulty part. I am upset because I really was one the 1st people to drive my 2014 Mazda6 in the ATLANTA AREA. Basically, the work I had done wouldn't have happened had they recalled the issue sooner; now they refuse to pay me back! It always kills me; how a company making millions of dollars refuses to pay loyal customers hundreds of dollars to keep them. It's OK. I will find a new car brand to stand behind next. File Number **.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Deceiving with its looks! Don't be tricked by poor quality product and expensive after service fixing. Feel bad for the body designer, talent wasted on rotten interiors. 2014 Mazda 6, replace batteries every 8-10months. Inside plastics falling off. Exterior plastic bumper covers falls off 3 times, forced to glue on. BT audio problems, and now... Transmission failure! With every single service encounter, service folk says it's normal to have battery replaced every year and a half and then changes story to a Year and now. Under a year... Poor customer attitude. Service folk highly unprofessional. Biggest regret to trust this brand. Stick with Toyota or Honda. Want nice looks, wait and save for better.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

First Mazda was a 2007 Mazda 6, drove it for 6 years and over 60,000 miles without a single issue, then traded it on a 2012 Mazda 3, now has over 70,000 miles, also not a single issue. Local dealership has been great except one minor hiccup early. Bought the Mazda 3 from the dealer here in my hometown who was running a "free oil changes for life" promotion which included sending mailers to everyone in town. I bought my car shortly after receiving this, and before it was due for the first oil change, the dealership sold to another owner who changed the name and refused to honor that deal. I feel like that's pretty shady.

FYI I wanted to write this review because a lot of the reviews I'm reading here are blaming Mazda for things that aren't their fault. Previous owner of your used vehicle altered things and Mazda doesn't want to repair it under warranty? I wouldn't either. Airbag went off in an accident and burned you? That's what they do, beats slamming your head on the steering wheel. Exploding glass isn't fun, but it's also not a Mazda issue. Google it, it happens in a lot of brands.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

2013 M3 6-speed manual purchased at 27,500 miles in April 2015 with transmission problems since purchase. I only have to put gas in it twice a month, but the savings over the years will soon be eaten up by a necessary total transmission replacement including master and slave cylinders, entire clutch assembly, and probably the gearbox as well. Not surprisingly, after 2 years of complaints, Mazda techs were finally able to duplicate the shifting problem (stemming from a known issue and current class action suit) on a service visit just outside of warranty, and they blamed it on user error and normal wear and tear.

All the reviews you're reading are true... Mazda does not stand behind their products after purchase. Skyactiv-Gs are ridiculously frugal on gas, though! 34+ mpg in mixed driving over 72,000 miles! My issue has been overall shifting crunchiness worst in temps below 50F and failure to shift into first gear multiple times per day since day 1 no matter the weather. Just buy a Honda or Toyota...the Mazda 'zoom-zoom' feeling wears off the moment you drive away from the dealer and the depreciation is ridiculous, so you'll be stuck with it until it's paid off because no one wants to work on Skyactiv-Gs except Mazda despite being nearly a decade old technology.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

When I purchase my Mazda 3 in 2013 I paid an extra 1500 for rust and extended warranty that was sold has bumper to bumper. This warranty was also under Mazda Canada not a third party. When I took car into not one but 2 locations both told me the noise which is failed motor and transmission mounts are not covered. Contact with Mazda Canada resulted in arrogant and no responses. After research on web this is a known issue and having been treated like this leads me to say this Manufacturer does not deserve the support from customers for what seemed to be a great car only to find out they really are a cheap low end cars with little durability.

Other issues include electrical from failed alternator to premature rusting. I wish there was a lower than 1 star rating. Mazda is also a typical Japanese company where they will not accept responsibility for failures based on poor engineering. The culture shuns them from admitting they made a mistake to save face. To back up my comments just do a Google search on Mazda motor mounts, electrical, rust problems or complaints. Wish I had done this before buying their product.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I cannot keep a battery charged. New alternator, new radiator. Thanks to alternator, new battery, new radio, new tires, etc. Money in it and still can't keep it charged. Does anyone know why this may be happening? I love the car (2010 Mazda CX9) but am fed up with it not running when I need it. Something is pulling battery down when it is parked in my garage overnight. Any help would be appreciated everyone if baffled at what is causing this. Can't trade it off. Just bought 6 months ago and have problem ever since. Owe too much to trade now. Help.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought a 2015 Mazda CX9 last year which is still under factory warranty. Recently the headlight went off and when approached the dealer they said the headlight was already replaced once by the previous owner but outside Mazda, which might have caused the assembly to go down, contacted Mazda customer service for assistance but it was the worst experience, even after multiple emails and escalations they denied to repair it under warranty. How can they justify the headlight replaced by the previous owner damaged the assembly, even if it is the car is still under warranty, they have no courtesy to customer, please stay away from Mazda.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a 2013 Mazda 6 in 2013. Since that time I have had to replace brakes a total of 15 times and the headlights a total of 15 times. The brakes were replace the first time at 18,896 miles and the headlights at 20,662 miles. This is the worst car I have owned. They are now trying to get me to purchase another Mazda. Are they crazy?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

CX9 has been horrible from Day 1. I've had extensive issues with the brakes. My car drives horribly when it's cold outside, even 50 degrees. I'm constantly pushing on the gas to get it to go. My automatic starter hardly ever works. I've had scans run, it looked at by several people but no one knows what the issue is. This is my 3rd Mazda and I've been so disappointed, I'm sure it will be my last. I now have the engine light and gas cap light on again and was told it was fuel emissions and to change gas cap. Did that, no change. This car has me terrified I'm going to be stranded somewhere with my children.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

When we were shopping for a new vehicle we wanted something that could carry six or more passengers. We had purchased a used car for our daughter from a local dealer. It was a good car that we were all happy with. We went in in August and the salesman just got in the new CX9 signature edition (2016). It was a great looking SUV with great technology and a fine trim level that included leather and wood trim. Complete the deal was 45,800 out the door. Considering the trim level and options that was a fair price. After one year we made the choice to lower our payments and down size to a less expensive car. The CX9 with 10,500 miles. The Trade in value of 31000 dollars. A loss of 33% of the value in one year. Stay away from any Mazda. Any car that loses that much value in one year should be taken off the market. I will never buy another Mazda in my lifetime.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

On the 31st of August 2017 I was driving my 2006 Mazda 3 sp23. My 14 year old son was sitting in the front passenger side and my 12 year old daughter was sitting in the back seat behind the front passenger. We all had our seat belts on. It was around 5.30pm and I was stuck in traffic and the sun was setting so it was difficult to see. The 4 wheel drive in front of me slammed her brakes suddenly hitting the car in front of her and then my car hit her's. The air bags in my car went off. My son was ok but I now suffer from severe burns to my right wrist and my left index finger. Is this supposed to happen when the air bags go off or were my air bags faulty. I thought that the air bags are there to protect us not to cause us pain.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

It's my fault that Mazda use Bose speakers that corrode in the doors and stop working. So not covered under the warranty. Definitely not Mazda's or Bose's fault. The brand / image that Mazda portrays is not reflected in the after sales service and warranty team. Buyer beware!

Original review: June 25, 2017

We bought 2 cars from Mazda Delray Beach. Both cars brand new. Less than 3 miles on each. We bought a 2009 cx9 and later a cx7 2010. Both cars has problems. The cx9 blind spot monitor, air conditioner, window motor, front and rear window motors. The cx 7 problems with the same problems. Windows front cannot close. Front door driver side lock came off. Right front passenger door lock messed up, it cannot be opened. Rear right window cannot go up. My cx9 has 46.000K miles 8 years old and the cx7 just turned 60.000K 7 years old.

I was told that it is normal for those repairs to occur. That's ** ! We have bought cars brand new cars from Nissan, Infiniti, Mitsubishi Motors and we never had any problems with these cars like what we are having with our Mazda cars. Infiniti, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors we drove them to their limit and all we did was oil change and maintenance tire change. Think 4 times before you decide to buy a Mazda.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Purchased a BRAND NEW 2016 Mazda 3 in August 2016 from Peruzzi Mazda in Fairless Hills, PA. $23,000.00 price tag. December 2016 blower motor had to be replaced. January 2017 the touchscreen console stopped working completely after taking the car through a car wash. Was unable to operate the radio, GPS etc. May 2017 water entered into the passenger side and soaked the passenger side carpets. Water continued to drip underneath the passenger side dashboard for 2 days. Mazda service found 2 HOLES IN THE FIREWALL SEAL which were allowing water to enter the vehicle. Conclusion: a defective vehicle which should be replaced.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Public Service Announcement: Don't buy a Mazda AND do not use Passport Mazda in Suitland, MD. My daughter's Mazda 6 had a sunroof that literally exploded on Jan 11, 2017 while she was driving. She said it sounded like a gunshot and she almost wrecked. It exploded upward and out of the vehicle although she had A LOT of glass that rained back in on her and the inside of her car. The vehicle was only 8 months old. Mazda replaced the sunroof out of "goodwill" (as they put it) and informed us that it was probably due to a shard of metal in the track left over from manufacturing... pressure built up on the glass and it exploded. Her vehicle is not the first vehicle to do this - Google it! They are refusing to repair the leather seats that the glass got embedded in and ripped and are refusing to fix the paint where the glass flew out and took a chunk of paint off the roof and the trunk of the vehicle.

We have been trying to work through this with them since January. I have been on the phone with Corporate Mazda who in turn have been trying to get Passport Mazda on the phone for 2 weeks to get their side of the story. They have not made a connection with Corporate in over two weeks. Isn't that like ignoring your boss? Besides the fact that Mazda will not stand behind their product and quality. One of my daughter's first "adult purchases" has not turned out to be a disheartening experience. They have not heard the last from us as we stand up for what is right! Do not purchase a Mazda as their customer service is LESS THAN SATISFACTORY and we purchased not ONE but TWO MAZDAS ON THE SAME DAY! It's all about how you respond to what goes wrong, Mazda!

Original review: April 18, 2017

In 2005 I purchased new Mazda 3, it never gave me any problems. I traded it in for a 2016 Mazda 6. After app. 6 months the vehicle started jerking forward when I moved the car from Park to Drive. I took the car in to be checked and they advised me the transmission had to be replaced. I am somewhat disappointed; however, I'm glad it went out prior to the warranty expired.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Had the passenger side window motor replaced about a year ago. Now replacing the driver side motor. I asked the service rep if this wouldn't be viewed as a "Quality" issue and his response was that he understood my frustration. Lol. Facts are not frustration, but this issue alone is enough to cause us to consider vehicles other than Mazda for our next purchase. When there are multiple failures of the same part, I believe reasonable people would consider it a quality issue.

Original review: March 28, 2017

First, I would like to say I have been satisfied with my Mazda product. I have had my car now for 12 years and have had virtually no issues other than normal maintenance. However, my car has had several recalls, one of which came after I had already had and paid for the repair. That is where I have my problem with Mazda. The recall stated it takes 6-8 weeks to process a claim on repairs that have been recalled, o.k., I get it. I sent my recall reimbursement form and supporting documents registered mail, which was a smart move on my part, because they first tried to claim that they did not receive my recall repayment request. I told them that a representative had signed for the registered mail 4 days after I sent it. So they requested. I fax the form and supporting documents.

I waited approximately 4 weeks to see what the status on my refund was. Mazda Recall Center told me they can't send a check because the repair was made with a credit payment (it was a debit card that was used for the payment on an account I had already closed). So they told me after a week later, when I called again, that they would have to get an approval to send a check. I waited 2 more weeks, called and was told that the check "should" be on the way 2-3 weeks. I waited 3 weeks to call back, and have now been told that it will take another 2-3 weeks to get the reimbursement. I feel as the Mazda is Hemming and Hawing with this issue for whatever reason and would like to know if anyone else has been having this type of issue with Mazda.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Dealership sucks, vehicle is good! No doubt that I had done my homework. Family I come from ** is Honda lovers and this was first time, I went out and opted for #mazdacanada. Mazda has some great features which Honda was missing and I was forced to cut down ROGUE because 4 cameras were headache and risky than technology developed by #mazda. Honda CRV, I realized is under power engine and whenever you need force/power, you can sense a howling and growling engine. It has overpriced itself and these two were major reason to opt for Mazda CX-5. There is one camera but sensors are used so intelligently that I have to say they made a niche for themselves.

As soon as a car is in your blind spot - you don't/should not be looking into camera feeds - in Mazda CX-5, sensors make a yellow light glow in your mirror with a beep indicating that there is vehicle or person in your blind spot. I am over six feet - so entering and exiting is slight... a little bit tight... I have to adjust my posture of entering and exiting from this vehicle. My dealer experience was not as good as I wanted to be - #abbotsfordautomall #automall where #vipmazda is situated, didn't clarify before I reach to finance department that #bumper to bumper warranty is for 3 years only. They try to sell you insurance cover for those extra 2 years. Second bad taste happened, again when I was facing finance department that INSURANCE have to be from the dealer. They informed me that INSURANCE cannot be done from outside brokers or agents!

Coming back to vehicle, it's comfortable and nice... Ride is good but still cabin is not silent as I was expecting... In total, this is great vehicle which shows innovations and intelligent designing done by Mazda. This is made in Japan and quality of interior is not as bad as we see in Honda CRV. I like the way sensors handles vehicle and its power... when FWD will be changed in AWD is done auto. Thus it saves lot of fuel. I have driven it in fresh snow, black ice and the way vehicle managed traction and control is awesome. Seating is good and boot is comfortable too. I would definitely suggest this vehicle for small family usage - its navigation and sunroof is added features which helps in movement.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Mazda 6 Sport at Fremont Mazda. So far I absolutely love my car. My salesman was great in having everything ready when I came in to sign I because I had to get back to work by a certain time. My problem is with Mazda's finance department. A little background. The last time I purchased a new car from a dealership was 30 years ago. It was very simple. I was offered upgrades. I declined. No problem. This time around when I got home I Sat and looked over my contract and saw optional service contracts below was Mazda Maintenance $2,150.00. I recall the finance person mentioning "oh and you have 5 years free maintenance at any Mazda Service Center in California." My thought is "oh that must be the manufacture's warranty."

I contacted my salesman and I'm told it's for a optional service contract. I was never offered this optional item, no one said to me "we can add this free maintenance service to your purchase for an extra $2,150.00." I was furious. My salesman contacted me. Said if I didn't want it they would remove it and write up a new contract. I went back to the dealership. Signed a new contract. My car payment is now $50.00 a month cheaper. That should have been the end of it but lo & behold I find another optional on my contract in the amount of $795.00 for Debt Cancellation Option Agreement which I googled and is GAP insurance which again I was not asked if I wanted this insurance added to my contract.

Oh on the first issue I filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office Consumer Complaints. Today I'm waiting for The State Insurances Commissioner's Office to call me back and advise me what I should. My real concern with all this is how many other people have been victims of the same and don't know where to ask for help or aren't even aware optional items have been added to their contract without their consent!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I had got a brand new mazda 3, 2013 model. I have had the car three years and done now 37000 ks on it. It was only into a month of having it the engine on start up first thing in the morning would violently shake to the point I thought the car would fall apart. I rang the dealer who said bring it in for them to check over, they told me it was because the oil in it was fat and cold oil and when the engine would warm up it will go away, which it did. It does this every morning on start up, sometimes it is violent sometimes it will shake and vibrate then calm down. At 20000 ks after I took it in for its second service to which the services are capped at a ridiculous price of 315.00 dollars charged me roughly around 370.00 dollars because the dealer had said the price of oil went up. So capped in a contract doesn't count obviously.

After the 20000 ks service the engine light appeared, I took it back to the dealer who said it would cost me anywhere from $1000.00 to $ 4000,00 to fix it, I asked "why would I have to pay for it?" He said I got bad petrol in it, I asked him what was the error code, he said he didn't know, so I asked him to go get it for me, he said they never got an error code because nothing showed up on the computer!!! But told me it would cost me X amount of Dollars to fix it!

They reset the computer and told me next time it comes up to bring it in and see what it says, the engine light came back up so I took elsewhere to get a reading, it showed misfire in cylinder no2, I took it back to the dealer, all they did was change things around in the motor, reset the computer again. Engine light comes back up I took it to the same place as before and it showed misfire cylinder no4, I took it back into the dealer as a rattle in the driver side window started to appear and to get this cylinder no4 fixed. I left the car there for the day only to return to find they did absolutely nothing to it.

The service manager said they would fix it on next service and would most likely have to pay for everything that was wrong with it, needless to say I never took it back. I notified Mazda of the trouble I seemed to be having with the dealers and their warranties but to no avail. However I have spent a little under $700.00 to fix it now, a new coil, new spark plugs and a new battery that should have been fixed at 20000 ks. Needless to say it didn't fix the problem. I have written to Mazda, yet again but have not heard a response as yet.

No one, nor would Mazda employees or the manager ever deal with a car nor pay way over 20000 for a car that has nothing but trouble with it, so why is this happening to the ones that are buying their cars that are defective and in my opinion dangerous, computers have been known to just stop to which the last mechanic thought that what is wrong with my car. We definitely need a class A action. Whatever happened to integrity and morals!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Just out of warranty my passenger window motor broke. I had to buy a new motor off the internet because the dealership wanted six times the price for the part. Then a year later the driver outside door handle broke. Four months later the same handle broke again. I didn't realize but the other handles don't get as much use but they're starting to show they're starting to give. I will not be buying a Mazdas again and this car (Mazda cx7 2010)was not cheap.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

I bought Mazda 6 at GRIECO MAZDA OF NORTH PALM BEACH. The car was equipped with all the features which I liked. But the staff were very bad and doing all dirty tricks to misguide me. At the time of purchase they said the service would be free for the first year and also said they would add the tint on the vehicle. But when I went there for first service, they asked to pay for service and tint. Staff there are very ridiculous... were not even responding properly when I went there to ask!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I purchased this new car in 2015 and I have had problems with the transmission. When going from reverse to drive, the car lurches forward without even putting your foot on the gas. Because of it I hit a cement wall and did $6000 damage to the front end. After several trips to the dealer they finally told me that they were aware of the problem and ordered a new part. Well it is doing it again. I park in a parking ramp and I have to maneuver to get parked. Last week the car lurched forward again and did damage to the car again. Now back to the dealer and I am sure they will once again tell me I don't know how to drive. Parking attendants have had the same issue and hit a planter when the car lurched forward. I regret the day I ever purchased this vehicle. I just do NOT want to own it anymore because it is not safe.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I bought my Mazda 3 hatchback 3.5 months ago. I live in the Chicagoland area and on a recent freezing day I came out to the car after work to find that the rear driver's side window had shattered completely. Thankfully the car is under warranty and my dealer made it very easy to fix but I don't think this should happen.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

The Mazda vehicles we have owned were both reliable and cost effective.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I bought my Mazda 6 brand new almost 2 years ago and haven't had any trouble with it at all. My Mazda is very well designed. My car is very well designed and has all of the current options available. It is comfortable and the ride is quiet. It handles well in bad weather. I love the many features such as the blind spot monitor, tire pressure monitor, Navigation system, Boise radio, Bluetooth for hands free phone and other features. I feel safe and confident driving my car. If I ever need or want to buy a new car again, I will buy another Mazda.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Mazda 5 has suspension problems - I have had shocks redone 3 times in 7 years. I am a single woman not carrying passengers all the time!! Others have the same issues - otherwise a good car. Great car all around but they are discontinuing it - maybe because of the suspension problems. Gas mileage is good if you stay below 110. :)

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Mazda CX5 2016 Transmission Failure at 57,500 miles. How do I create a class action lawsuit against Mazda for a transmission defect that the manufacturer supposedly knew at the time of assembly? I bought the car new. After 30 months, the transmission failed. I had to dump the car after the repair, at a loss. On the positive, the body style was great, handling superior, interior lay out convenient, poor quality interior craftsmanship on seats, but to have the transmission crap out was a real bummer.

Mazda Company Information