Mazda

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a 2017 Mazda 6 Sport at Fremont Mazda. So far I absolutely love my car. My salesman was great in having everything ready when I came in to sign I because I had to get back to work by a certain time. My problem is with Mazda's finance department. A little background. The last time I purchased a new car from a dealership was 30 years ago. It was very simple. I was offered upgrades. I declined. No problem. This time around when I got home I Sat and looked over my contract and saw optional service contracts below was Mazda Maintenance $2,150.00. I recall the finance person mentioning "oh and you have 5 years free maintenance at any Mazda Service Center in California." My thought is "oh that must be the manufacture's warranty."

I contacted my salesman and I'm told it's for a optional service contract. I was never offered this optional item, no one said to me "we can add this free maintenance service to your purchase for an extra $2,150.00." I was furious. My salesman contacted me. Said if I didn't want it they would remove it and write up a new contract. I went back to the dealership. Signed a new contract. My car payment is now $50.00 a month cheaper. That should have been the end of it but lo & behold I find another optional on my contract in the amount of $795.00 for Debt Cancellation Option Agreement which I googled and is GAP insurance which again I was not asked if I wanted this insurance added to my contract.

Oh on the first issue I filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office Consumer Complaints. Today I'm waiting for The State Insurances Commissioner's Office to call me back and advise me what I should. My real concern with all this is how many other people have been victims of the same and don't know where to ask for help or aren't even aware optional items have been added to their contract without their consent!

I had got a brand new mazda 3, 2013 model. I have had the car three years and done now 37000 ks on it. It was only into a month of having it the engine on start up first thing in the morning would violently shake to the point I thought the car would fall apart. I rang the dealer who said bring it in for them to check over, they told me it was because the oil in it was fat and cold oil and when the engine would warm up it will go away, which it did. It does this every morning on start up, sometimes it is violent sometimes it will shake and vibrate then calm down. At 20000 ks after I took it in for its second service to which the services are capped at a ridiculous price of 315.00 dollars charged me roughly around 370.00 dollars because the dealer had said the price of oil went up. So capped in a contract doesn't count obviously.

After the 20000 ks service the engine light appeared, I took it back to the dealer who said it would cost me anywhere from $1000.00 to $ 4000,00 to fix it, I asked "why would I have to pay for it?" He said I got bad petrol in it, I asked him what was the error code, he said he didn't know, so I asked him to go get it for me, he said they never got an error code because nothing showed up on the computer!!! But told me it would cost me X amount of Dollars to fix it!

They reset the computer and told me next time it comes up to bring it in and see what it says, the engine light came back up so I took elsewhere to get a reading, it showed misfire in cylinder no2, I took it back to the dealer, all they did was change things around in the motor, reset the computer again. Engine light comes back up I took it to the same place as before and it showed misfire cylinder no4, I took it back into the dealer as a rattle in the driver side window started to appear and to get this cylinder no4 fixed. I left the car there for the day only to return to find they did absolutely nothing to it.

The service manager said they would fix it on next service and would most likely have to pay for everything that was wrong with it, needless to say I never took it back. I notified Mazda of the trouble I seemed to be having with the dealers and their warranties but to no avail. However I have spent a little under $700.00 to fix it now, a new coil, new spark plugs and a new battery that should have been fixed at 20000 ks. Needless to say it didn't fix the problem. I have written to Mazda, yet again but have not heard a response as yet.

No one, nor would Mazda employees or the manager ever deal with a car nor pay way over 20000 for a car that has nothing but trouble with it, so why is this happening to the ones that are buying their cars that are defective and in my opinion dangerous, computers have been known to just stop to which the last mechanic thought that what is wrong with my car. We definitely need a class A action. Whatever happened to integrity and morals!

Just out of warranty my passenger window motor broke. I had to buy a new motor off the internet because the dealership wanted six times the price for the part. Then a year later the driver outside door handle broke. Four months later the same handle broke again. I didn't realize but the other handles don't get as much use but they're starting to show they're starting to give. I will not be buying a Mazdas again and this car (Mazda cx7 2010)was not cheap.

I bought Mazda 6 at GRIECO MAZDA OF NORTH PALM BEACH. The car was equipped with all the features which I liked. But the staff were very bad and doing all dirty tricks to misguide me. At the time of purchase they said the service would be free for the first year and also said they would add the tint on the vehicle. But when I went there for first service, they asked to pay for service and tint. Staff there are very ridiculous... were not even responding properly when I went there to ask!!

I purchased this new car in 2015 and I have had problems with the transmission. When going from reverse to drive, the car lurches forward without even putting your foot on the gas. Because of it I hit a cement wall and did $6000 damage to the front end. After several trips to the dealer they finally told me that they were aware of the problem and ordered a new part. Well it is doing it again. I park in a parking ramp and I have to maneuver to get parked. Last week the car lurched forward again and did damage to the car again. Now back to the dealer and I am sure they will once again tell me I don't know how to drive. Parking attendants have had the same issue and hit a planter when the car lurched forward. I regret the day I ever purchased this vehicle. I just do NOT want to own it anymore because it is not safe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

I bought my Mazda 3 hatchback 3.5 months ago. I live in the Chicagoland area and on a recent freezing day I came out to the car after work to find that the rear driver's side window had shattered completely. Thankfully the car is under warranty and my dealer made it very easy to fix but I don't think this should happen.

I bought my Mazda 6 brand new almost 2 years ago and haven't had any trouble with it at all. My Mazda is very well designed. My car is very well designed and has all of the current options available. It is comfortable and the ride is quiet. It handles well in bad weather. I love the many features such as the blind spot monitor, tire pressure monitor, Navigation system, Boise radio, Bluetooth for hands free phone and other features. I feel safe and confident driving my car. If I ever need or want to buy a new car again, I will buy another Mazda.

Mazda 5 has suspension problems - I have had shocks redone 3 times in 7 years. I am a single woman not carrying passengers all the time!! Others have the same issues - otherwise a good car. Great car all around but they are discontinuing it - maybe because of the suspension problems. Gas mileage is good if you stay below 110. :)

Mazda CX5 2016 Transmission Failure at 57,500 miles. How do I create a class action lawsuit against Mazda for a transmission defect that the manufacturer supposedly knew at the time of assembly? I bought the car new. After 30 months, the transmission failed. I had to dump the car after the repair, at a loss. On the positive, the body style was great, handling superior, interior lay out convenient, poor quality interior craftsmanship on seats, but to have the transmission crap out was a real bummer.

Hi - My 2010 CX7 with full Mazda service history and only 57600 miles on the clock, stopped at 60 MPH on a busy dual carriage way with my kids in the car, I could barely steer or brake it was terrifying! Luckily we managed to come to a stop only because it was a quiet time of day on school holidays or god knows what could have happened. I called Mazda to advise them as I thought they would want to know about the issue, total stone wall.

I had the car towed to a garage nearby who told me the engine had seized due to it being starved of oil, the car was FULL of oil. They checked and it was a block in the sump. After doing research I realise this is a very common problem with Mazda and I cannot believe they are totally ignoring this issue, not help offered. My car was worth #7.5k now it's worth nothing! Where is Mazda's duty of car to customer driving this car, why are they not making sure dealerships are checking this issue to protect people at service, what will it take, someone to be killed! I am just disgusted at their refusal to acknowledge this issue.

I purchased a 2015 Mazda CX7 from Looms Ford in Fredericksburg Virginia June of 2015. At the time of purchase the vehicle had 37K. Looms Ford knew that the battery was going, told me "when there's a problem, contact us." When the car wouldn't start about 6 weeks later, I called and they informed me, not their problem. The battery blew up under the hood, had it towed, mechanic said he never seen anything like it. That's the first problem. Car made a whistle noise, come to find out it's the turbo. Mind you this car has only 64K miles on it.

Called Mazda, told them the turbo had failed. They want records of all maintenance. I can give them records of battery situation because the car was towed. But when it comes to changing oil or filters, I am quite capable. Now they won't fix turbo because I chose to change my own oil instead of paying someone else to do it. Mazda us nothing but a letdown. I wouldn't recommend a Mazda vehicle to my worst enemy. I will NEVER buy another Mazda.

This is the first Mazda I've purchased and owned. The purchase of the vehicle was fine and I like the car. However... I asked to have a remote start installed (I live over an hour and a half from the dealership as this is the closest Mazda dealership to my home). I took a full day off work to drive to the dealership and wait four hours for the remote start to be installed. They installed an Mobile Remote Start (MMS) and NOT a remote start as I asked. The Mobile remote start doesn't work where I live and work in WV due to the lack of cell service in many areas. So I asked them to remove it. I had to take off another full day off work to have them remove the incorrect product that they installed the regular Mazda remote start.

It's been a couple of months and the Mazda product (remote start) has been nothing but problems! It works one day and then doesn't work the next day. When it does work, it won't start until I'm like right up on top of my car and then when you open the door, the car shuts off. I changed the batteries and that didn't do anything. It worked the first day and not the second or third day. I contacted my salesman who said I could bring it back down and they would take a look at it and repair it if there was an issue. He said they would replace it if it was faulty. I went out and looked up the reviews and the reviews all indicate that similar problems have existed (with reviews dating) back to 2012. Apparently Mazda has done nothing to address or fix the issues with the faulty device.

I requested a refund (I paid about $500.00 for the product and the installation). Mazda refused to give me a refund. They care absolutely nothing about the bottom line of their customers. This will be the LAST MAZDA I ever buy! Not because the car is bad, I like the car, but because the service after the sale of a 30K+ product is obviously NOT one where the customer care. I will be encouraging all my friends on Facebook and work and everyone from here on out who ask me about my car (it's a beautiful car... I get lots of questions about it), NEVER to buy one if they expect to have quality service after the sale! Terrible business practices Mazda! You should be ashamed of yourselves. P. S. I am a service disabled veteran... To all veterans out there... Beware!!!

Mazda headquarters in Clermont Florida is terrible. I know many people who worked there and lost their jobs for no reason. The managers of the store don't know how to sell a car and the customer service is horrible. Don't ever buy a car from here. It's not worth your time or money.

Two rear speakers in the car are hardly working. You can only hear sound when you open the trunk of the car. Those speakers are called 'tweedlers.' I've been to Mazda several times and they have given me various excuses to why they produce little sound. I decided to take the car to an independent audio dealer and they notice via a metered reading that those two rear speakers were not getting enough power therefore they would not change the speakers. I told a picture of the meter reading. When I returned to Mazda, after an hour I was told that, "That's how the system was set up." So I contacted Bose and they said, "That is how Mazda set up their speakers." Could someone please help me solve this problem? Many, many thanks.

Just passed 24000km on the odometer and the brand new 2016 CX3 I bought a year ago has a complete transmission failure. I had to bring it into the dealership (Stoney Trail Mazda) in Calgary AB Canada for a period of 4 weeks. They had to replace the complete transmission which took 2 weeks and after the replacement there was still noises coming from the vehicle, they took another two weeks to find out what was wrong and was complete clueless. They told me they did further work by replacing the flywheel and a number of other parts.

The dealership is making an effort and did fix everything without further cost to me and did provide a rental vehicle which I appreciate greatly. However, I completely lost confidence in Mazda as a company. I've been a long time Mazda owner and the fact that the dealership is not stepping up to replace a clearly lemon/defective vehicle is really upsetting. This will be the last Mazda I will ever own. Stay away from the Mazda CX3!!!

I bought a Mazda RX-8 with an engine warranty and Mazda refuses to pay for a new engine. There is also a recall on a part in an airbag and they refuse to fix the damages caused by a faulty part. If you are looking for a car don't go to Mazda unless you are looking for nothing but disappointment.

MAZDA 5 shocks have been replaced 3 times - this is a defect and should have been a recall a long time ago - so many people have had this problem. It affects steering and tire wear significantly. I went to Metro Mazda in Vancouver BC last time. I asked them to put Monroe's lifetime warrantied shocks on and they said they did. I asked for the warranty - they said just come back if there is an issue. The warranty will be there. I am no longer in Vancouver so I can not go back. Mazda put on NAPA and not Monroes! NAPA Parts will only honour the warranty if I bring back the old ones - labour not covered. I am single woman and I hardly ever have passengers so why have I had rear shocks go 3 times - with just over a hundred KM? This is a recall issue and one has not been issued.

Bought a 2012 CX-9. First 2 years car ran great then 500 miles past warranty driver window motor goes out. Then a week later passenger window motor goes bad. Battery goes out. Car was only 2 years old. Now under recall which part needs to be replaced and both wheel bearings are going out after only 50K miles. What a POS. These parts should not be going bad this soon. Will never buy another Mazda again. Just lost my business because was going to buy another one next year.

Purchased a CX9 new in 2007. Drove it with a few problems like the Prox key losing its program forcing us to buy a new one at the cost of $300 plus $100 programing. But that's the short of it... At 59000 miles I walk into the dealer and have them doing some recall work on the car. I tell them its transmission is kind of slipping. Service guy says don't worry and recommends a trans service... I say ok... Come back a month later ask for trans service and he says, "It's over drivetrain warranty now. Maybe the service will help." Sounds like the trans is shot. The part alone is $9000 and removal is another $3000. Has no record of my issue at prior visit. Says there is no warranty. Said "you don't service your car here so we won't help you." I ended up spending another $3k out of pocket having a trans shop rebuild the trans. If you're thinking about it... RUN FROM MAZDA!

I purchased my CX-5 in 2015, and it is just at one year old. The windshield cracked, starting from the left hand side and reaches across right in front of the view. Researching this, it is apparent that many Mazda owners have experienced cracked windshields. There was no rock, just started cracking. Under warranty still, but the dealer will not honor the windshield. Replacement cost including labor is $850.00.

Also, the tires on the car were nearly bald at 16,000 mi. The cost to replace the set was over $1,600 one year into the ownership, and I've had to pay an additional $2,500 in expenses. If I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased the Honda CRX. So sad to give a company so much money, and have no similar consideration in return. And the dealerships do not take ownership of the problems; "It's the Mazda manufacturing, in Japan". I'll never purchase another Mazda again. I hope this encourages someone to not purchase any Mazda vehicles in the future. I'll spend an hour or two at the dealership on Saturday to mention these issues to prospective buyers.

Mazda roadside charged me to use a towing company to pick up my vehicle and take it in for service. My vehicle never made it to the service department, they kept my car and wanted to charge me additional to tow again. I was not able to retrieve my vehicle so I lost to towing company. I called the bank they retrieve the vehicle and repoed. The car was auctioned off. Now it shows on my credit report. I'm having a hard time getting a vehicle due to open loan.

I take very good care of our CX-7 and with only 70,000 miles the turbo and catalytic converter went. We were driving and a loud "siren" sound came from the engine. We had to limp to a shop and were told the turbo and the catalytic converter were shot. This cost us $3,600. Before being fixed I contacted the local Mazda dealer who told me that these cars are notorious for failed turbos. In fact he said it was so bad that Mazda put out a special warranty to cover these turbos. They all fail around 60-70,000 miles. Turns out, my VIN number did not match the ones that were a part of this special warranty. I asked the service manager, "Is there anything you can do for me"? He replied, sarcastically, "We can replace your turbo for you".

I have owned three Mazdas. Every one had problems. The one thing I have found though that all Mazdas share are very bad brakes. They are always very weak. This CX-7 with 70,000 also has bad brakes. I am replacing the front rotors for the SECOND time, with only 70,000 miles. I have replaced the pads probably 5 times and I do not drive fast or slam them. My son and I are very meticulous about changing the oil and the brake pads. Maintenance like we do should help a car last. Unfortunately Mazdas are very cheap, low-end Japanese cars and I guess it doesn't matter what you do, they just fall apart.

My experience with Mazda overall meaning corporate and the dealership has been horrendous. I think we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit. Mazda is making cars with defects. The dealer did a spot delivery spot scam on me. My car has been having all sorts of issue with the brakes not working properly and just recently the transmission. I have had it. Corporate does nothing. The VP Shawn Murphy is interested in money. Do not buy a Mazda unless you have it checked out first.

I will start off saying that I purchased a 2013 Mazda 3 in October 2013. Loved the car...no problems. Salesperson at time of sale was great. However, the constant after sale phone calls from Chapman Mazda in Phoenix, AZ were annoying. No need to call your customer once a week, literally once a week, for a year after the sale. Told Chapman at least a dozen times that they could stop calling so much. Back in February, I traded in the 3 for a 6; need something bigger. Again...I LOVE the car. I had moved quite a ways away from where I had purchased the 3 in 2013 so I used a dealership that was closer (Cardinaleway Mazda in Mesa, AZ) when I purchased the 2016 6 in February 2016; the salesperson was great to deal with. The after sale customer service has been completely opposite. Was promised to get a call in about a week to see if I had any problems or questions about my 6...have not received a call yet. Oh well!

I guess there is no happy medium...feast or famine. Now let us get to my main issue. I have been trying to get the refund for the remaining insurance and the maintenance contract that I had on my 3. Followed the instructions from CardinaleWay to take my odometer disclosure for the 3 to the previous dealership. Went to Chapman Mazda. The finance person there was so rude and seemed disinterested. However, he did take my information. I knew it would take about 6 - 8 weeks to be processed. So I waited. Finally, mid-April, I contacted Chapman via phone. Another finance person said that they needed the "payoff letter" from lien holder (Was never told this before.). So I called the lender; was told the car had been paid off by the CardinaleWay Mazda and the letter was sent to them. Emailed and called CardinaleWay 13 times before I was told they did not know what a "payoff letter" was and that the lender should have sent something to me.

They told me to call the lien holder. Called the lender again and was told again that a letter was sent to the dealership. Called CardinaleWay again and the finance person said, "Oh??? Do you mean the lien release?" Ugh!!! As a consumer, I really try to be/stay informed about things, but I AM NOT a finance wiz at a car dealership. I do not know all the terms/lingo. However, you would think that what I was trying do was something no one has ever attempted before. So frustrated with Mazda...at two dealerships. Love my car, but might think twice about Mazda when I am really to purchase again. Mazda after the sale STINKS!!!

Back in January, a pebble hit my windshield on my way to the airport. Needless to say, I had damage the size of a .50 cent piece. I called my insurance company and they use a TPA that replaces windshields for them. It took the company 6 weeks to install my new windshield, because every time the windshield was delivered it was cracked. Just Monday, April 25th, I am driving to work and another pebble hit my windshield. I did not think much of it, until then I saw a spider crack going up my windshield... Not again!

Is there a defect with these windshields? Then, it takes 4-6 weeks for a replacement to be installed because Mazda is SO backed up from California and then they arrive broken. I would appreciate Mazda to respond and to fix this issue, as this is a serious defect! It is against the law to drive with a broken windshield. And then be told that there is a 6-8 week back order. One window replacement company told me 3 months... are you kidding me! Mazda - you need to look into a recall!!! If not, you will have class-action on your hands!

I bought a new MX on Jan 16, 2016. I already owned a 2004 MX5 that I bought new in 2002. When I bought my new car I asked if I qualified for the $500 loyalty incentive, which they assured me I did. During closing they did not have it included. The closer said it was an oversight and the sales mgr would take care of it. After the close, the sales mgr had me fill out paperwork and submit a copy of my 2002 car's current registration. He said it would take about 3 weeks to process. It has now been 3 months and I still have not received the $500. I have called the Mazda customer care # several times, and I have contacted the dealership several times. They say they are looking into it but they do not return my calls or email. I think 3 months is more than enough time to resolve this. I'm very unhappy with both the dealership (Auto Barn, Chicago, IL) and Mazda USA for not delivering on their promise.

I purchased a 2016 Mazda CX5 in late 2015. By the end of March 2016 (less than 4 months) I had transmission problems. I took my brand new Mazda in and they told me that they would check it out. They called back and said that it was the transmission and they would file a report with Mazda. They also said that the machine that manufactures the transmission was not working properly during the time my transmission was being made. It was also stated that Mazda doesn't know what cars doesn't have the "missing piece".

My question is why didn't Mazda put out a recall if they knew there might be an issue with the CX5 or any car with a transmission made at that plant? I bought this car brand new, why won't Mazda replace the car with another new car that has been checked for this issue? Fixing the transmission is not the same as purchasing a new car without defects. Up until now I have been a loyal Honda customer. I researched this car and heard a lot of good things about it. However after having owned a Mazda CX5 and seeing how Mazda has a total disregard for their customers, I will NEVER purchase a Mazda again.

I bought the 2016 CX-5 grand touring with the tech package. I fell in love with how the car drove and had owned a 2013 Mazda CX-5 so I thought that I was just getting an upgrade. Well it was very late by the time we left the dealership and so they just handed me the manual and said the instructions for the navigation system was in there. I didn't need the navigation until about 2 weeks after I purchased it. When I did need it a map of San Antonio river walk kept showing up and I live in Virginia.

The clock also does not work or set the time to eastern time. I took it back to the dealership but the service department does not know what is wrong with it and suggested they are going to have to tear it all apart to find the antenna. I am so mad, it's beyond words. How can they sell an almost $40,000 car and say it has these features and it has none of it working.

Had Mazda CX 5 for two years. First two years the car worked fine. Third year had to be towed twice. Ended up replacing the battery & service cost me over $300. Now today again it did not start and it is ticking like a bomb even when I disconnected the battery. What a disappointment. Not to speak of missing my several work days including today.

My engine light came on (cylinder 3 misfire). Took it to the dealer and I was told I needed new spark plugs and coils (4 of each). Price for parts approximately $70.00. Total bill $900.00 (freakin robbery - but I am a female so you know how it goes). I just wanted my car fixed. Drove not even two days the engine light came on again. This time it was a misfire from cylinder 2. Took it back and they looked at it. Who knows what they did. Drove it and the next more again misfire from cylinder 2. This happened two times as it relates to this cylinder. I was told by the service agent that my valve probably needs cleaning. Not sure but that would cost a lot ($1700+). I asked the guy "could it be my fuel injector?" I was told I can put some fuel clean in my tank and this might fix it (brother & ex-husband advised me). The service agent told me "naw I don't think so". Well I told them "I will get another opinion."

Took it to the Mazda Dealership in Gaithersburg, MD. I've had this car since 2008 and they've always fixed my car and never once did I have to take it back because something failed again. I was told by Mazda in Gaithersburg, MD that one of my fuel injectors is bad. That whoever looked at my car previously should have been able to figure this out since the cylinder that kept misfiring is connected to this particular fuel injector. I had the fuel injector replaced. So far the car runs like new. So far it's been a few weeks. Engine light has not come back on. Frederick Mazda... Did I really need 4 spark plugs and 4 coils. Probably not!

Mazda Company Profile