2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Mazda is a Japanese automaker that makes cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read Mazda 3 reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You

Mazda Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Bought a gorgeous lookin 2016 Mazda Miata, supposedly having undergone 150+ point inspection. After continuing to add air to the tires day after day and having a valve stem replaced, being informed the tires suffered from dry rot, not safe for extended use- replaced the tires ($800 setback). Texts and calls went ignored.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

After less than a year of ownership my MX-5 convertible was developing holes in the soft top from rubbing on the frame. I researched the problem and found several instances of this including a long term test done by Motor Trend that showed photos of the top wearing in the same exact spots as mine. Their top and others I saw were fixed by replacing the frame with a newer design that doesn’t rub and the cloth soft top. For some reason on mine they will only replace the cloth top. That will not solve the problem.

The service department agrees with me and so did The person at Mazda I talked to on the phone but Mazda still won’t approve the frame replacement. This will be my first and last Mazda purchase! I have owned several new cars and have never experienced anything as bad as this. It’s a shame because I really do like the car otherwise. But if they won’t fix an obvious problem I’m not going to take a chance that I’ll have a worse problem later. Trading it in for another car before this new top starts getting holes in it!

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We had a CX-9 signature bought straight out of the dealership and after 4 years the panel from passenger back door just came out on our son's hand. They blamed us for their lack of quality and I have the video to proof.

Original review: April 1, 2020

This car is extremely dangerous. It’s all touchscreen, and the numbers and letters for heat, music and air conditioning are so minute you can barely see them. Wtf??? Why not knobs. Are your engineers stupid, I have to date almost been in 2 very bad crashes due to trying to just turn on the air. I also hate the touchscreen for the Internet connection using my phone. This is ridiculous and so dangerous. I made a mistake buying this car.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Engine Failure. My wife's car that we both really enjoyed until recently. I did a lot of research on this vehicle before we purchased it and the price was excellent with the Tech option. All was ok until a few weeks ago. Started noticing the smell of burnt oil in the cabin when we were stopped at an intersection. Came home, looked under the vehicle and didn't notice anything. This continued on each time we used it (we carpool so it doesn't get driven daily) and then eventually I noticed oil spots on our driveway. Thought it may be either dripping from the filter or the bolt so I decided to do an oil change which I noticed that there was an excessive amount of oil present on the underside of the chassis and also in the plastic shroud that must be removed to access the oil pan and filter. The bolt and filter were on tight so the oil was coming from another location.

Drove the vehicle into work the following day and again the smell of burning oil (like oil that would get onto the exhaust) was present when the vehicle was running but at a stop. Parked in a spot where there were no oil spots and I went into work. Roughly 3 hours later I had a look at the vehicle and noticed a 5" round oil spot under the vehicle. Contacted the Mazda dealership and drove it in for an appointment that afternoon. They had the vehicle for 2 hours and I came there after work to check up on what they found. First words out of the technician were "we ordered you a new engine as this one has a porous block". Not sure if the block was porous or cracked as one would think that after 31000kms it would have been evident sooner.

Regardless, the dealership provided a replacement vehicle (Mazda 3) and have indicated that this will be repaired once they receive a new engine as they were on back order. Dealership also indicated that this is not the first 2.5L with this issue found on a 2018 CX5. I've owned over 30 vehicles so far and this is the first time I've had this type of failure. Needless to say, I'm not too happy with the reliability demonstrated by a Japanese built vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My daughter was massacred in her Mazda 3, they say it was 35 miles an hour. The entire front end was ripped off, engine laying on ground. It didnt seem right so I contacted Mazda to see if they were interested in defending the safety record of their products, guess what? If you're not buying you can go ** yourself. FYI we are not suing anyone, just want the truth and justice. Apparently Mazda doesnt care about their ** claims to a safe car. Friends if you have children, get them anything but a Mazda. God bless.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

So for almost a year I’ve been receiving these pamphlets in the mail about a recall for my airbag. And it always said it would take an hour to complete. I take the day off work and drive half an hour to my nearest Mazda dealer for my appointment. Apparently there’s 3 recalls that need to be done and it’s a 3-4 hour wait!!!! They should give me a new car for all of this bs. There’s less than a zero percent chance of me ever buying another Mazda. I get to spend my whole entire morning sitting in a Mazda dealership. I’m fuming right now!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I received a SSPA9 (Special Service Program) notice (gap between a instrument panel and information display) on October 2017. I called my local dealer (Scott Mazda of Allentown) three times and last call being on Feb.6 2018 and each time I was told that the parts are on backorder. I since forgot about it until today because I had to bring the car in for another common problem that a RECALL should be issued for (flickering lights while breaking) and asked about it again, but unfortunately I was informed that the SSPA9 has expired. I called Mazda customer service and was told that I should've brought the car to the dealer and gotten a work order to prove that I had the problem!. I wish someone had told me that the last time I called (Feb. 6 2018). Seems to me like a very convenient way to avoid paying for the repair!!!.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This is a fun car and great to drive. Not for everybody, as it requires some extra care. Mine still like new. No more is being made due to the fuel consumption regulations. As a sports car, I enjoy the extra space in the rear seats. The body style is just super.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The only thing I do not like about my CX nine 2018 model is that it doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. Of course Mazda came out with Apple CarPlay with the following model year 2019 and then wanted to charge me $250 to install it in my car which I thought was a bunch of **.

Mazda Company Information