2.92/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired? Get a Quote.

606 Mazda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

The Mazda CX 5 is a great looking SUV. The after sales service sucks. I have determined that the Electronic Park Brake is a design flaw. This must be the only front wheel drive vehicle that wears out its rear brake pads and tyres before the front. Mazda with TSB 004-05/15 replaces the brake calipers when the actual problem is the sensor which controls the EPB. Like a person who hates constructive critique. I am not surprised that they are suffering in the market.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Last Monday June 11th I was involved in a car accident in my 2012 Mazda CX-9. I want to say THANK YOU! For building an great quality vehicle. This vehicle saved my 3 children's life and mine. The curtain airbags deployed right on time to prevent us from injuring our heads. My kids and I were able to walk out that wreck with not even a scratch. Thank you for protecting my family.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Owner of 2 Mazda 3 2016 & 2015. Great vehicles. My wife and I love them. Great gas mileage. No problems at all after 66,000 miles. Mazda come a long way after split from Ford. Waiting on the cx5 Diesel. We are going to trade the oldest one. Great job Mazda!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Was shopping for CX-5, and when you know how difficult and stressful it is to deal with dealership, you know how great it is to be taken care by a great sales person. For the first time I walked in, Mr. Jason **, took care of me with no pressure, taking the time to answer all my questions, printing me clear and detailed sales offers for financing and leasing, and for the first time in my experience, was trustworthy! Went several times to meet him for questions, until the time we were going to sign for lease. Provided him with all requested necessary documents and information the evening before.

On May 30th, 2018, after 3 hours spent with him with all paperwork’s, we had to wait for his Financial Manager Nick, who was supposedly too busy in assisting other clients, when his office was empty. Jason could not even have an appointment schedule from this "busy" person. He asked me to pay half of the deposit to "hold the car for me", and charged my credit card. Therefore, he asked me to come the next day, May 31st, in confirming that Nick would call me to set up an appointment, and to confirm me the credit approval and monthly payments amount. Waited until 1:40PM to contact Jason because I have not received any feedback from anyone.

Around 2:00PM, Jason texted me back in apologizing that he was assisting clients, but no information regarding appointment, credit approval or anything related to the lease offer. Only because the Financial Manager is again too "busy" and "so well organized" that he cannot delivered. Explained to Jason, that if they are not interested by my potential account, it will force me to seek for another dealer offer in order to not lose the benefit of 0% interest financing/lease special May sales.

At 3:00PM, just a quick text to let me know I was approved for the amount, but no appointment still... After many back and forth with several Mazda dealerships, I accepted another offer to get my car ready that evening at the last minute! Texted back to Jason to express my disappointment about his Financial Manager and the General Manager of this dealership, who both let him down and made him lose the sale. Also requested to be refunded of my deposit charged on my credit card.

As of June 4th, no news about either my refund, or a call from any Manager to apologize or anything else. So, I called to speak with Mr. Mark ** who is registered on BBB as General Manager, but no one as his phone or can transfer my call... Called 4 times to be transferred on voicemail, so asked to General Manager to call me back, and left them all information needed to understand the situation.

Mr. Chris **, General Manager called me back, but had no information about the situation. Expressed my disappointment about the way his dealership is operated, his Financial Manager who did not delivered, how it is a shame to not support and provide resources to his great sales persons to close sales, and claimed for my refund. He asked my credit card number again, because he claimed no one will have it and it is the only way I could receive my refund... wonder what they do with card receipts after you pay, and may be they do have a shoe box accounting records systems! He also told me not to be worry about his management style… Provided him with my card information, and he claimed I will be refunded same day. He told me that he would talk with his Financial Manager to understand the situation, but I advised him to talk with Mr. Jason ** who lost the sale because of Financial Manager.

I feel very sorry for Jason because, from the beginning to the end of the process during my 4 visits, he offered me a great service and beyond expectations compared to all dealerships from several brands I went to for months for car shopping. He was a trustworthy sales persons (which is very rare) with a consultant approach, very patient with me in explaining in details all my questions, and professional. Even this dealership is 1 hour drive from where I live, I really wanted to close the sales with him. In summary, I would not recommend this dealership if you don’t have the time to be lied around, and have to wait for the Financial Manager to deign to do his job professionally. If you are not in hurry, well then asked for Mr. Jason ** who is the person I would recommend.

Original review: May 19, 2018

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 manual transmission - I am in the market for a more practical car so I have been reading reviews of the brands I am considering. Every brand seems to have issues and I just wanted to share my experiences with the Miata. I bought the car new in December 2006 and have been the sole driver since. It now has 110,000 miles and still going strong. The only mechanical repair I have had was needing to replace the thermostat around 80,000 miles. I just now had to get new brakes for the first time.

The paint still looks brand new and I am constantly being asked if it is a new car. The only thing that has not held up well is the cloth upholstery on the driver's front seat but the aftermarket leather seat covers look fabulous. I LOVE THIS CAR! I have loved it since I drove off the dealership lot. I lament having to part with it for a larger car that is better in the snow and after reading the reviews, I am even more hesitant to replace it. If you are considering a Miata from the 2006-2015 generation, I can highly recommend one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

Original review: May 9, 2018

One of things I like best about the 2009 Mazda 5 is that the side rear lights are set high up, so that people in huge SUVs etc. can see my turn signals. I also really like the rear hatch, which opens high enough that I do not bump my head!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have a 5 day old 2018 Mazda CX-9 GT. It is a very good and fun-to-drive SUV. I recently have some issues playing my iPod iTunes playlists from connections to the USB1 and USB2 ports. It is an intermittent problem not recognizing and not able to play the songs from the playlist. It is very frustrating and disappointing considering that I paid top $ for this SUV and I am now faced with this media problem. I will report this to the Mazda dealership first thing in the morning tomorrow since it is barely a week old.

Original review: May 7, 2018

This Mazda3 is a 2014, used and the S Grand Touring is the top of the line, loaded with electronics that I'm still getting used to. That aside it has the 2.5L engine. Not a drag racer but enough power and handling to make you feel comfortable and secure plus good mileage. The ride is firm but not rough and it handles well. I'm 5'11" tall and the seating is comfortable and all controls are readily accessible and don't see any reason this car would be any less comfortable on a long trip than any of the larger cars I've owned prior.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I had a 1991 Miata for 25 years! After a deer destroyed it I got a new one in 2016. Love it! Miss the retractable headlights but I m very happy with it thus far.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I find the ride very hard and seats are not the most comfortable. Seatbelt is badly positioned and interior feels cramped. Also, Mazda CX-5 is very noisy, sounds like a window or door is always open. But it does have a lot of pick up on the road and gets great gas mileage.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Have had this Mazda 3 almost four years and not one single problem. Looks very sleek. The only complaint I have is no Sirius radio. Had to purchase it myself.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Mazda 5 - Good compromise between full-size minivan and SUV. Adequate and comfortable seating for four adults and two children. Small cargo area behind rear seats. 4 cylinder engine coupled to 5-speed automatic transmission gives good get up and go with up to 31 mpg highway mileage. But sport model lacks full Bose system features, such as WiFi and Bluetooth.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The Mazda 2 was on the Nissan dealership lot in Glendale. They took me through the ringer and $8000 car ended up being 20,000. Upon the free oil change they offered for year three of those changes. They put the wrong oil during routine. The most had multiple problems with the EGR valve malfunctioning, heart idling fuel injection malfunctioning interior begin to rip and tear fade out. I believe some of the problems were due to Glendale Nissan. What a horrendous collections people to represent a brand.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My 2001 Mazda Tribute LX just reached 100,000 miles. It is still going strong. Had to change the tires, brakes and the battery, but otherwise okay. Only get 13 miles to the gallon on regular. It is a dependable old car.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I truly love my Mazda. Had leased a Mazda 6 for 3 years. Liked it so much I leased a new one for three more years when my first lease was up. Has all of the best features you could want. Comfortable and classy. Plenty of storage room in the trunk and all of the controls are easy to use and understand. Only complaint is that the controls on the levers behind the steering wheel can’t be seen in the dark.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Mazda 6 is a nice car. It drives nice and smooth and you have control. I just wish it wasn't quite so low to the ground that's my only negative. The gas mileage is awesome.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I purchased my 2013 Mazda 2 from Daytona Mazda Mitsubishi back in November of 2015. I registered the vehicle with Mazda USA online since I live in Tennessee and the car was delivered to me by the dealership. I have been having significant issues with the steering and saw that there was a recall sent out by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration back in 2016. I have sent the dealership and Mazda several emails over two years. They have chosen to ignore.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Mazda 6 emergency brake caliper recall - I can't believe that I have been a Mazda fan this long and am treated so badly. I have been swearing by their cars for years and now. I won't anymore. I got a recent recall (I've had them in the past) and was treated poorly. Actually, they refused to send me a refund for work that was done prematurely because of a faulty part. I am upset because I really was one the 1st people to drive my 2014 Mazda6 in the ATLANTA AREA. Basically, the work I had done wouldn't have happened had they recalled the issue sooner; now they refuse to pay me back! It always kills me; how a company making millions of dollars refuses to pay loyal customers hundreds of dollars to keep them. It's OK. I will find a new car brand to stand behind next. File Number **.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Deceiving with its looks! Don't be tricked by poor quality product and expensive after service fixing. Feel bad for the body designer, talent wasted on rotten interiors. 2014 Mazda 6, replace batteries every 8-10months. Inside plastics falling off. Exterior plastic bumper covers falls off 3 times, forced to glue on. BT audio problems, and now... Transmission failure! With every single service encounter, service folk says it's normal to have battery replaced every year and a half and then changes story to a Year and now. Under a year... Poor customer attitude. Service folk highly unprofessional. Biggest regret to trust this brand. Stick with Toyota or Honda. Want nice looks, wait and save for better.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

First Mazda was a 2007 Mazda 6, drove it for 6 years and over 60,000 miles without a single issue, then traded it on a 2012 Mazda 3, now has over 70,000 miles, also not a single issue. Local dealership has been great except one minor hiccup early. Bought the Mazda 3 from the dealer here in my hometown who was running a "free oil changes for life" promotion which included sending mailers to everyone in town. I bought my car shortly after receiving this, and before it was due for the first oil change, the dealership sold to another owner who changed the name and refused to honor that deal. I feel like that's pretty shady.

FYI I wanted to write this review because a lot of the reviews I'm reading here are blaming Mazda for things that aren't their fault. Previous owner of your used vehicle altered things and Mazda doesn't want to repair it under warranty? I wouldn't either. Airbag went off in an accident and burned you? That's what they do, beats slamming your head on the steering wheel. Exploding glass isn't fun, but it's also not a Mazda issue. Google it, it happens in a lot of brands.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

2013 M3 6-speed manual purchased at 27,500 miles in April 2015 with transmission problems since purchase. I only have to put gas in it twice a month, but the savings over the years will soon be eaten up by a necessary total transmission replacement including master and slave cylinders, entire clutch assembly, and probably the gearbox as well. Not surprisingly, after 2 years of complaints, Mazda techs were finally able to duplicate the shifting problem (stemming from a known issue and current class action suit) on a service visit just outside of warranty, and they blamed it on user error and normal wear and tear.

All the reviews you're reading are true... Mazda does not stand behind their products after purchase. Skyactiv-Gs are ridiculously frugal on gas, though! 34+ mpg in mixed driving over 72,000 miles! My issue has been overall shifting crunchiness worst in temps below 50F and failure to shift into first gear multiple times per day since day 1 no matter the weather. Just buy a Honda or Toyota...the Mazda 'zoom-zoom' feeling wears off the moment you drive away from the dealer and the depreciation is ridiculous, so you'll be stuck with it until it's paid off because no one wants to work on Skyactiv-Gs except Mazda despite being nearly a decade old technology.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

When I purchase my Mazda 3 in 2013 I paid an extra 1500 for rust and extended warranty that was sold has bumper to bumper. This warranty was also under Mazda Canada not a third party. When I took car into not one but 2 locations both told me the noise which is failed motor and transmission mounts are not covered. Contact with Mazda Canada resulted in arrogant and no responses. After research on web this is a known issue and having been treated like this leads me to say this Manufacturer does not deserve the support from customers for what seemed to be a great car only to find out they really are a cheap low end cars with little durability.

Other issues include electrical from failed alternator to premature rusting. I wish there was a lower than 1 star rating. Mazda is also a typical Japanese company where they will not accept responsibility for failures based on poor engineering. The culture shuns them from admitting they made a mistake to save face. To back up my comments just do a Google search on Mazda motor mounts, electrical, rust problems or complaints. Wish I had done this before buying their product.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I cannot keep a battery charged. New alternator, new radiator. Thanks to alternator, new battery, new radio, new tires, etc. Money in it and still can't keep it charged. Does anyone know why this may be happening? I love the car (2010 Mazda CX9) but am fed up with it not running when I need it. Something is pulling battery down when it is parked in my garage overnight. Any help would be appreciated everyone if baffled at what is causing this. Can't trade it off. Just bought 6 months ago and have problem ever since. Owe too much to trade now. Help.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought a 2015 Mazda CX9 last year which is still under factory warranty. Recently the headlight went off and when approached the dealer they said the headlight was already replaced once by the previous owner but outside Mazda, which might have caused the assembly to go down, contacted Mazda customer service for assistance but it was the worst experience, even after multiple emails and escalations they denied to repair it under warranty. How can they justify the headlight replaced by the previous owner damaged the assembly, even if it is the car is still under warranty, they have no courtesy to customer, please stay away from Mazda.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a 2013 Mazda 6 in 2013. Since that time I have had to replace brakes a total of 15 times and the headlights a total of 15 times. The brakes were replace the first time at 18,896 miles and the headlights at 20,662 miles. This is the worst car I have owned. They are now trying to get me to purchase another Mazda. Are they crazy?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

CX9 has been horrible from Day 1. I've had extensive issues with the brakes. My car drives horribly when it's cold outside, even 50 degrees. I'm constantly pushing on the gas to get it to go. My automatic starter hardly ever works. I've had scans run, it looked at by several people but no one knows what the issue is. This is my 3rd Mazda and I've been so disappointed, I'm sure it will be my last. I now have the engine light and gas cap light on again and was told it was fuel emissions and to change gas cap. Did that, no change. This car has me terrified I'm going to be stranded somewhere with my children.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

When we were shopping for a new vehicle we wanted something that could carry six or more passengers. We had purchased a used car for our daughter from a local dealer. It was a good car that we were all happy with. We went in in August and the salesman just got in the new CX9 signature edition (2016). It was a great looking SUV with great technology and a fine trim level that included leather and wood trim. Complete the deal was 45,800 out the door. Considering the trim level and options that was a fair price. After one year we made the choice to lower our payments and down size to a less expensive car. The CX9 with 10,500 miles. The Trade in value of 31000 dollars. A loss of 33% of the value in one year. Stay away from any Mazda. Any car that loses that much value in one year should be taken off the market. I will never buy another Mazda in my lifetime.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

On the 31st of August 2017 I was driving my 2006 Mazda 3 sp23. My 14 year old son was sitting in the front passenger side and my 12 year old daughter was sitting in the back seat behind the front passenger. We all had our seat belts on. It was around 5.30pm and I was stuck in traffic and the sun was setting so it was difficult to see. The 4 wheel drive in front of me slammed her brakes suddenly hitting the car in front of her and then my car hit her's. The air bags in my car went off. My son was ok but I now suffer from severe burns to my right wrist and my left index finger. Is this supposed to happen when the air bags go off or were my air bags faulty. I thought that the air bags are there to protect us not to cause us pain.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

It's my fault that Mazda use Bose speakers that corrode in the doors and stop working. So not covered under the warranty. Definitely not Mazda's or Bose's fault. The brand / image that Mazda portrays is not reflected in the after sales service and warranty team. Buyer beware!

Original review: June 25, 2017

We bought 2 cars from Mazda Delray Beach. Both cars brand new. Less than 3 miles on each. We bought a 2009 cx9 and later a cx7 2010. Both cars has problems. The cx9 blind spot monitor, air conditioner, window motor, front and rear window motors. The cx 7 problems with the same problems. Windows front cannot close. Front door driver side lock came off. Right front passenger door lock messed up, it cannot be opened. Rear right window cannot go up. My cx9 has 46.000K miles 8 years old and the cx7 just turned 60.000K 7 years old.

I was told that it is normal for those repairs to occur. That's ** ! We have bought cars brand new cars from Nissan, Infiniti, Mitsubishi Motors and we never had any problems with these cars like what we are having with our Mazda cars. Infiniti, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors we drove them to their limit and all we did was oil change and maintenance tire change. Think 4 times before you decide to buy a Mazda.

Mazda Company Information