Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.70/5

Mazda

Mazda is a Japanese automaker that makes cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read Mazda 3 reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

563 Mazda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 24, 2018

It has been a great vehicle so far and it's comfortable to ride in. I love how I just need the key fob in my pocket/purse and can lock/unlock with one touch and a key is not needed to be placed in ignition. It is very dependable. It is also very comfortable and fun to drive. I chose this for the third row seat to upgrade from the CX-7 I owned. I like the leather seats, sunroof, rear view camera, keyless entry and driving and fold down third row seat. But I would like for it have Apple CarPlay, more leg room in third row, seat coolers and better softer leather seats like previous CX-9 models have.

Original review: June 22, 2018

It has been good so far. It is good on gas and seems to be mostly reliable. Has a pretty big trunk for a little car. Runs pretty good. It is great for me and my daughter but has a good size back seat if we want to take others with us. It has some updated technology so that is nice, I can connect my phone and it is really easy to drive. It was the car I was able to get approved for so that is what I bought. However, the headlights have to be turned on and off manually, my old car had running lights so I didn't have to worry about the lights all the time. It is pretty low to the ground so it is a big change from an SUV.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Got the Mazda Tribute secondhand really cheap... runs really well... have not had any issues except flat tire and the key not wanting to come out of the ignition. Also, the gear shift sticks but I attribute that to the previous owner letting her kids accidentally spill a soda on it. It has grey color... spacious design... has cruise control that works great. I love any kind of SUV/Crossover... they have so much more room than even a large car... great for trips... modern and sleek design. But I wish it had better quality interior material and design. The car is secondhand and she had kids but they would not have been able to do the damage quite so easily otherwise.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The Mazda CX 5 handles really well, especially in the winter. It is really comfortable to drive and has good fuel economy, and enough room for other people and all of their stuff. It is not too large and easy for me to handle. It was a really good deal compared to what you would pay for other cars in this price and category. However, the center console and screen is a little too small, and it is difficult to use while I am driving. You can't just glance at it and flip the channel. And I would make the seats move a little more, for someone with shorter legs it is hard to reach the pedals.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love my car. Living in Michigan, I needed a vehicle that handled well in snow but also with good gas mileage and being able to adjust the drivers seat is very important. After test driving several models, I was extremely impressed with Mazda's handling. I also love how the looks of the car. It's very stylish and it's fun to drive. Definitely spend the extra money and get the navigation. I use it all the time. But I wish the rear seats were more comfortable. When test driving cars, I never thought to sit in the back. A word of advice, next time test driving, sit in the back and feel how your passengers are feeling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

Original review: May 10, 2019

I leased a Mazda 3, hatchback in August 2016. At my 10k servicing at the dealership, they indicated unusual wearing of tires. I asked for them to be replaced. They said no, it was a limited warranty on the tire. At 15k servicing, the same conversation. At 20k, the same conversation. Found out these tires on a new car, have no mileage warranty... at all. The dealership will not replace the tires. At 32 months of the lease and 22,700 miles they will do nothing. I like the car, but not the tires, and Mazda will do nothing, as the dealership watches a customer complain, and knows it is a problem. Others have complained about the same thing. I would not purchase or lease another auto from Mazda, or Groove Mazda, in Centennial. Really poor support of a customer. Not what anyone wants.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I leased CX-3 for 3 years from Mazda. When I returned it, I thought my car looked pretty well maintained except the curb rash on the wheels. I was wrong. The wear and tear charges were more than $1000 dollars because they charge for every little thing you did not even notice when you had your car plus on damages that Mazda should be responsible for. For example, if you drive in rain or wash your car, there will be "water damage" in the headlight that is going to cost you $350 for EACH headlight. The receipt is the final list after I made them remove a few things. I am leasing a car from Mercedes too, and they are not charging me for every tiny scratch like Mazda did. So if you lease a car from Mazda, make sure you fix everything including tiny tiny scratches and damages caused by their poor assembly.

Original review: March 26, 2019

CX5 with 105,000 miles. Started car, backed out of garage, proceeded to drive away and a loud noise just before the car died. Ended up pushing the car back to the house and into the garage. Spent a few hours looking over everything and could not find the source of the problem. Checked the oil and it was fine. Checked fuses, all were good. Checked starter and alternator, all good. The next day I looked under the passenger side of the vehicle and notice two drops of oil on the garage floor. Checked oil again and it was up to level. Followed a small trail of oil pooling on the dust cover (under the engine) and saw two jagged holes in the engine block just above the oil filter. I wish I could post pictures of the holes and block pieces.

The engine block wall is VERY thin and not what you would expect. Mazda really went cheap on manufacturing these SkyActiv blocks! The car belongs to my wife and is out of warranty range so with $13k left owed on it, we're screwed. One more thing to add is Mazda had already replaced the defective automatic transmission at 80,000 miles.

Original review: March 20, 2019

To all owner of Mazda 2007-2013 Grand touring model. This car has around 62 K miles on it and solely serviced at Peterson Mazda dealer which I bought the car from, in Huntington Beach, California. About a month or so the car was serviced as scheduled and the inspection revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I was informed that eventually, I have to change the brake pads within 6 months or so. There was about 1/3 left on them. Without any warning of any kind, the brakes quit working and the car was not driveable. I thank God that my kids were not with me.

The only way I came to a full stop was to downgrade to the 1st gear and apply the emergency brake. I recall I was on the freeway and the car had to be towed to my place. I replaced the disks, put new pads front and rear and the car still was not breaking. I took the car back to the dealer thinking that the master cylinder was defective and need replacing and I was ready to bit my tongue and pay for it since my warranty just expired at 60K.

To my surprise I was told that there is a factory recall on the brake boosters and the replacement is free. I was outraged by the fact that we were not informed of this potentially dangerous issue, and I was told that it is on the need to know or repair basis and that the dealer is not liable since Mazda would not reimburse the cost of the repair, which averages $400 or so.

Thanks a lot, Mazda. It is almost as bad as the exploding gas tank from the Ford Pinto back in the days. Do yourself a favor call your dealer and let them know about those boosters. Your life is at risk. For the record, I rarely write reviews but this time I felt obligated to inform the public about the shady dishonest behavior that Mazda is conducting and my life and kids' life is worth more than your pathetic $400. Signed a teacher and very unhappy customer.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Had many problems from the start, dealer service was no help. Things kept getting worse. When I got it tire psi was at 49 psi, should be at 29. Adjustment cams on control arms off zero so toe in front back out of alignment, wears out tires fast. When I locked car the gas door pops open. Tables constantly reboots when it’s driven in the rain or when it’s washed, there’s a terrible film on the windshield and it’s pitted.

One mechanic says it looks like a new muffler was put on, the body sags about an inch left rear wheel and clanked until a friend fixed, still sags a little at 22,000 miles. Lose inside panel. Overheats when idling. Dealer service is horrible, been to 5. Refused to refund extended maintenance. Dealer cashed my refund from Warrantech, kept money. Warrantech sent me a second check and then the dealer wants me to give them that money so they can take their cut and send back to me. Mazda North America is no help. There are other problems. This is my third new Mazda lemon.

Original review: March 10, 2019

This is about my second consecutive Mazda sedan I have owned. After I was notified of the recent recall of the passenger side inflator on my 2012 Mazda 6 I wanted to also have the driver's side one replaced, at my expense, and when it was later recalled (as it most likely would be), I wanted to be reimbursed for whatever my cost was. I first presented this request to the dealership who told me the cost would be around $700, because they said the inflator part alone could not be replaced. Because I am willing to pay this amount I then contacted Mazda Corporate Customer Experience where I was told Mazda could not promise any reimbursement but would “review” such request.

Finally, I contacted two executives at the Corporation with this request. My last request to one of them was made by letter mailed by certified mail. Although the letter mailing was verified received by USPS, it has now been some 3 months and I have not received any reply and I don't expect to. My Opinion: This clearly shows me: MAZDA DOESN’T EVEN CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS TO EVEN RESPOND TO THEM IN THIS SITUATION.

This experience has now cemented my decision to never purchase another Mazda again. I probably should not have purchased this one because I had a problem with the moonroof not always closing on the last one that was only fixed because a friend of mine knew someone at Mazda that I was able to connect with who got the problem finally fixed after my having taken the car to the dealership numerous times and told they “had to replicate the problem” before it could be fixed.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought a new 2015 Mazda CX9 back in March 2015. Was a reliable vehicle up until about 3 weeks ago. After I dropped my kids off at school I heard my fan getting loud under the hood. I looked at my dashboard, no engine light, no coolant light, nothing. So I drive 1/4 mile further and see that my coolant gauge is starting to rise, I then pull over into the next neighborhood as it begins to steam from underneath my hood. I have it towed to the closest shop to where I stalled out at, and they tell me that at 77,000 miles I need a NEW ENGINE!

I had 2 other opinions from different mechanics and they all stated the same. I towed it over to the Mazda dealer that I bought it from, and they have basically told me tough luck. I forwarded every service record that I had since I purchased the car. But I would have to fork out $6k for a brand new engine. I will never purchase another Mazda again, nor will I ever recommend my family and friends. In a automotive industry that is fighting to retain their customers, I would've thought this would've been a great way to earn a customer for life. If you own a Mazda beware. As I stated there was no warning, and I wasn't due for another service appt for another 2 months. Way to go Mazda!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I bought my car May-2018 and today February 2019. Drove the car so far 7500 miles. Tried every gas recommendation by MAZDA and the dealership and still until today car won’t give me more than 19.5 miles per Gallon which is sad. I still the window car sticker 22 city, 28 highway combined 24 and still no joy... even though all the miles on my car are highway mile and never speed or push car to limit. Mazda corporation should be sued over false advertising their MPG.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought my 2015 Mazda CX-5 from Fox Mazda in Grand Rapids, MI in February of 2018. At the time it had 31,000 miles on it. Last week, I went to start my cart and the engine started and then sputtered and died. After getting a tow, the Mazda dealership in WI (where I now live) has informed me that my high-pressure fuel pump has failed. Between the tow, labor, and parts it is going to be over $1,000 to repair an item that should not be breaking on a car with less than 50,000 miles. On top of that, the part is apparently back-ordered and I was told that it could take anywhere from a week to a month for them to get the part in. So now, I am without a car for an indeterminate amount of time as a result of fuel pump failure on a relatively new car with low miles.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I went to see and purchased a used car from Mazda of Palm Beach. Almost none of the features on the carfax ad were correct. The dealer claims it is Carfax issue. I never would have paid the price I did had I known the complete options on the car.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I own a Mazda CX-5, that I bought without a warranty because of the great reviews about maintenance and service of the vehicle. Please do not make the same mistake! Mazda will not assist with any rare malfunctions that may happen to your vehicle! They will tell you the car is outside the warranty and anything is possible. They can not explain what caused your malfunction or why it’s possible other than it's outside the warranty and anything is possible! The Mazda Corporate office will NOT accept responsibility for any malfunctions!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

After 17.000 miles on my 2016 Mazda CX3 the driver’s side headlight housing failed and was filling up with moisture. MAZDA replaced it free of charge. The dealer tells me that Mazda is having trouble with these housings and that they have not put out a recall, Ok? At 40.000 miles it failed on the other side. MAZDA will not replace it. They say because I am 4.000 miles over the warranty. A 2 year old car and both headlights have failed. They want over $400+ labor. My first Mazda and my last if they can’t stand behind a 2 year old car and replace it. I would be willing to even pay for the labor at the dealer. Maybe someone here can get them to step up to the plate. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Purchased a 2014 Mazda CX-5. It has issue with the shifter, which affects the vehicle sensors. This results, in the vehicle sometimes not moving forward whenever it is put into drive. The vehicle instead rolls backwards and it is a safety issue. It also continuously has issue turning off when the vehicle is put into park. They performed service on my vehicle and charged me to change the shifter, which was a faulty shifter that came with the vehicle. I am still having issues to turn the vehicle off and it also continuously drains the battery.

The vehicle has safety issues and there are multiple complaints of the issue. Mazda refuses to do a recall. Mazda also refuses to provide its customers with detail report of the safety issues. They conceal information to save themselves from lawsuits, but I have reporting them to NHTSA. And I will be filing another complaint because they refuse to provide detail paperwork for the supposedly repair they did. It will be my first and last Mazda!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I leased a SUV Mazda cx5. Had 13000 miles and the motor went Bad (lemon car). The NJ MAZDA DEALER TOW the car and called me after few weeks and told me MAZDA USA the "low" of the car business will not take responsibility and fix the car. The car is in the dealer lot RAMSEY MAZDA NJ since Sep 2017. I been paying $359 a month and insurance for 14 month and I have no car. I just filed a lawsuit against Mazda USA and Ramsey Mazda and stopped paying for the car, and they have the nerves to ruin my credit too. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DON'T DEAL WITH THIS GUYS. THEY DON'T DESERVE YOUR BUSINESS.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

They told me I needed a new oem turbo, and that would fix my car, well it didn't, car was still running bad and they got 1500.00$. They don't care. They take your money, and then leave you hanging. DO NOT TRUST THEM. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

NEVER BUY MAZDA. Auto friend, I need your help and your expertise are greatly appreciated. I have a 2016 Mazda CX9. I am fed up with MAZDA. I began having issues with my car prior to the powertrain warranty going out at 60,000 miles. My car began to idle very badly as if I had bad gas. The dealership suggested that I put in the fuel injection cleaner which I did. No resolution. I wasted money by advice of Dolan Mazda and paid out-of-pocket for new spark plugs for my vehicle. The issue was not resolved. Dolan then stated that the fuel pump went out which was the reason why my engine was full of gas and the car lost power. The fuel pump was replaced and the issue was not resolved. My car was transported to California because Mazda Reno does NOT have certified Mazda techs. My injectors and fuel injection system was updated in California yet The issue was not resolved. My car lost power again and I returned it to Reno.

They stated that the throttle body went out which would cost $650. They replaced the throttle body. The issue Is still not resolved. I clearly have a lemon. Now they are telling me that they have to call the tech line because they have no clue why my vehicle will not run. Now they’re telling me there could be another issue as a result of the fuel pump going out and messing up the fuel injection. They said it was a domino effect that affected other issues on the car which is going be very expensive to repair. I have been without my car going on two months now and I’ve been going back-and-forth to the dealerships as my car was at 50,000 miles.

The first time that Dolan MAZDA took possession of my car, they put 63 miles on the car test driving it. When I receive my car back from California, an additional 372 miles was put on my car. This is ridiculous!! This car again is clearly a lemon and they cannot figure out what’s wrong with my car. Now MAZDA is saying since I am now out of warranty, I must pay for repairs. I was in warranty the first 3 times they attempted to fix my car.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

So Mazda has kidnapped my mother's car for 3 weeks now. My mom is not very well in English and sometimes gets taken advantage of and I feel like MAZDA HAS FULLY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF MY MOM. We had my uncle call and my brother even called so this morning I have decided to call for her 'cause I wanted to know if she was EVER GETTING HER CAR BACK. She has to work so I called and asked for the person in charge of my mother's car and the little girl on the phone told me, "Ok. Yes he’s in" so she transfer me to the VOICEMAIL so NO HE WAS NOT IN (LIES). I left a voicemail for JASON and then calling back to Mazda the little girl picks up the phone and I tell her, "Life is kinda hard right now for my mother and her and I don’t see eye to eye sometimes living together" (I’m putting this nicely 'cause she really pissed me off) and that little girl had the nerve to tell me, "You need to take care of your mom."

Little girl you don’t have the right to tell ANY customers that about their family. You guys have had my mother's car for 3 weeks now with no answers. She bought her car in 2016 and how the hell does the transmission just mess up like that and then finding out they don’t even do an engine check in your car when you go and get an oil change. Stoney Trail Mazda has the worst service/callbacks and rude service people EVER. You guys need to work on your people skills and maybe get a new girl to pick up the phone for service 'cause she had no clue what’s she’s doing... One more thing my mother had to rent a car and pay it with her own money 'cause Mazda said that her plan didn’t cover it. They also said they would try there headrest to fix it and try to cover her car rental and NOPE that was another lie... You're better off taking your car to another mechanic that!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Please let it be known that I nor my family will EVER be buying another Mazda ever again and I will be making it very public about how Mazda “helps” their customers. I leased a 2016 Mazda CX-5 after thinking it was the best decision for my family. I am now 8 months pregnant with my second child, have had the car for less than 2 years and the display screen is glitching. I found out it needs an infotainment display screen that will cost me $1200+.

This is a MANUFACTURER issue and according to dealerships a known issue with these cars. It’s nothing I did and Mazda’s response back to me was, "We can cover most of it but you will still have to pay about $400". So let me get this straight. I am LEASING and planned on financing what was at the time a brand new car in which a display screen went in less than 2 years which is a manufacturer issue so I cannot check any maintenance, no radio, etc. and I’m ** out of luck with getting it fixed? Great job Mazda. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We have seen a host of complaints on the internet, including the ** website about reliability issues on relatively new Mazda SUVs. In our specific case, both the LED lights on our 2016 CX-5 went out in under 40K miles. They cost a whopping ~$1100 to replace... each! Mazda corporate replaced one, but when the second one went out at 40K, said it's not a reliability issue. The entire cost of replacing just one assembly costs as much as 3 years of standard maintenance costs. We're done with Mazda. In contrast, Subaru fixed an engine issue (twice, both times well out of warranty) at their expense just to stand by their brand.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Bought a used Mazda CX-7 July 2016. July 2017 the left front control arm broke while driving down the road. Had my mechanic make the repairs to the car. Sept 2017 I get notice that there is a recall on the issue that occurred. Had the car to Mazda dealer August 2018 and repairs were made as per the recall but now Mazda USA does not want to reimburse me for the repairs made by my mechanic in July 2017 since it was done after the August 10, 2016 date of the recall which I knew nothing about till Sept 2017 when I got the first notice of the recall. Finally got them to look at the info but now they are using the fact that I don't have a bank statement from July 2017 showing the repairs were paid with my Visa when the slip from the garage is clearly marked paid Visa. Big company just looking for any possible loophole to get out of owning up to their mistakes.

Original review: June 28, 2018

This is my 3rd Mazda, if I ever have need to buy another car it will also be a Mazda, but my last one later 17 years so I may never need another one if this one lasts that long, too. I like that it's strong, reliable, and has decent mileage. It's a great color, charcoal grey. I feel sexy driving this car. I feel like the brakes are completely reliable as well. But my model is a bit sporty for me. I'd also like to sit a little higher and have better visibility especially the back window. I'd love one of those backup cameras as well.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have not had a single issue with my car in six years, it has been the absolute best purchase I have ever made. The car has also retained much of its resale value. My vehicle is totally manual, transmission and windows; the vehicle also gets great gas mileage. I chose this car because it was rated very high for reliability and overall value at the time I bought the vehicle. However, I dislike the clips that secure parts to my vehicle, and they break very easily. The oil pan fell off a few months after purchase and some of the interior clip ons broke as well.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The Mazda CX 5 is a great looking SUV. The after sales service sucks. I have determined that the Electronic Park Brake is a design flaw. This must be the only front wheel drive vehicle that wears out its rear brake pads and tyres before the front. Mazda with TSB 004-05/15 replaces the brake calipers when the actual problem is the sensor which controls the EPB. Like a person who hates constructive critique. I am not surprised that they are suffering in the market.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This car drives very similar to the vehicle I replaced- Lincoln Navigator. I test drove my Mazda CX-9 during a snow storm and I was pleased at how well it barreled through snow drifts. It's very luxurious and roomy. Also fits me in regard to seat belt since I'm very short; many belts cut me off at the neck. Love the interior, including color. Great gas mileage. I'm proud of how car looks and performs. But I have difficulty locking car from inside car while car is still running, or turned off in my driveway... And I don't like the exterior color of black - really shows dirt. I also wish I had a tow package...

Original review: June 21, 2018

Love my SUV Mazda CX7. It's so comfortable. Have much space for family members and it's a good vehicle to travel and have a big back space for stuff, groceries, shopping items. The interiors are very durable material and easy to clean. And easy repair and to drive so safely and secured part. I recommended so much for all type of family. It's very pretty design so I would like to buy a new one next year. But I would like maybe a more bigger back in a new model but at all it's fine other parts. Quality and strong parts. All the model is ok.

Mazda Company Information