Mazda

Mazda Reviews

Find a Best Car Brands partner
1.1(622)

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Mazda

Mazda is a Japanese automaker that makes cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read Mazda 3 reviews to learn about other models.

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Mazda Reviews

Stars Rating

• 10%
  • 90%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda?

Reviewed July 30, 2023

After paying my lease payments for 29 consecutive months on Mazda Financial Services's portal, Mazda's online portal kept producing error on the 30th month. I made a few attempts and hoped it has gone through. I came back the next month for the next payment and noticed that I have a balance from the previous month. I made more attempts to pay both and got the same error. I contacted the customer service and they assured me that payments have gone through.

A month later I noticed that they have reported a late payment on my credit. I contacted them and told them about the issue and email them the screenshots of my attempt and website's error but they didn't care and said that it is my responsibility to make sure the payment has gone through. As if I am in charge of their online portal! I am still taking legal steps to resolve this issue but a simple portal error affected a credit score that I have been building my whole life. While they have some nice cars, avoid them if you can!

Coverage

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2022

I purchased a used CPO Mazda. The vehicle broke down shortly after purchase so it needed to be towed. Towing should have been covered yet since my information was not updated in the system (even after a few weeks), I needed to pay it out of pocket. Before paying for the service, I called customer service to confirm that I will be reimbursed for the fee. Now they are refusing to reimburse me. Apparently, it's a courtesy that they're assisting me. What a joke.

Staff

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2022

Strongly suggest you don't purchase from this dealership or a Mazda. I purchased a used Mazda CX5 that was originally sold from Moffatts. I was hearing a small noise from under the hood 5 months in after I bought it less than 80,000 km, took it to my mechanic. He told me it was the transmission and there was TSB out on this issues with this model and to take it to Mazda to see if it was under powertrain warranty. I was told by Moffatts that I was out of luck that the warranty had just expired like within days! Not even a month.

They told me to contact Mazda Canada. I did. They told me Moffatts will have to determine if they offer "goodwill" on the warranty. Jason the service manager told me that I don't have a good enough relationship for them to assist me with this, I have no history with them. I need a whole new transmission 7-10,000$ on a car with less than 80,000 km AND the issue that the transmission has is a known issue! I even asked them and Mazda Canada to meet me halfway that I would pay half - NOPE! This is my first experience with Mazda. I will NEVER purchase or recommend Mazda. I can't believe they don't stand behind their products and both the service from Moffatts and Mazda Canada was terrible. Jason just kept saying the same thing, I have no relationship (they SOLD this car to start with). I really can't believe this is how they are handling this situation.

Customer ServiceStaffReliability

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2022

While we love our CX-5 we are disappointed with the service we received at McKinney Mazda, Easley, SC. Upon arrival we told the service advisor that one of the infotainment buttons was stuck. He immediately stated that this was not a part that failed and we must have spilled something in it. I asked if we could get it checked and he blatantly stated Mazda would not approve the repairs.

I then spoke to the service manager who agreed to have it checked but I would have to leave the car and it could take a week because of how backed up they were. I further explained that I did not have an appointment because the issue just occurred and the warranty was about to expire. Knowing this there was no offer to bring it back in after the warranty expired to get the repair completed.. After hearing nothing for 5 days I emailed the service manager and COO to ask if the car could be ready within the next two days as I was already out $500 for a car rental.

While I didn't receive a response directly the service advisor did call to say that the car was ready the same day and the part was defective. Accusing a customer of damage without any proof is an unethical business practice, especially when the part was indeed the problem, there was no apology for the accusatory statements made by the dealer. I find it hard to believe that I would ever buy another Mazda.

Reviewed Aug. 2, 2022

I have purchased a 2022 Mazda CX-5 3 months ago (May 2022) and since have had a terrible experience with both Mazda and the dealer who sold me the car (Westshore Mazda in Tampa, FL). Trying to reach Mazda's customer's support is the worst ordeal I had in a long time. You wait and wait and wait, and then get disconnected, and if you finally talk with someone, you get disconnected at the middle of the call and no one calls you back.

I had a MAJOR issue with the car a few days ago that almost resulted in a serious accident. After spending over two hours!!! trying to reach Mazda customers service, I managed to share some information and received an email with a case number, but that's it. No one followed up on this, and the whole approach of those that I spoke with was very strange and unprofessional!!!

I am writing this message while waiting for Mazda Customer support to answer my call. This is my 3rd attempt and now already waiting for more than 10 minutes... Mazda Financial Service, on the other hand can be reached in minutes and always answer... But besides nice marketing I recommend to be aware of this company!!! TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE... "SERVICE"...

PriceStaff

Reviewed July 27, 2022

I purchased my Mazda CX-9 2 years ago, currently with 15K miles. On my recent service visit, I was informed that all 4 tires need to be replaced, even though I only have 15K miles on the new vehicle. Service rep stated it was clearly a manufacturer defect. Unfortunately Yokohama tires refuses to stand by their product and offer a replacement. Similarly when the dealership contacted Mazda directly, Mazda also refused to stand by the product they put on my car. A $1000 cost to replace the tires just 2 years into ownership is unacceptable.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 19, 2022

I bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Touring trim with an extra package. Little things that I noticed. The home screen has an anti-glare film on it. Be very careful what you use to clean it with. I would use a dry soft cloth or mildly dampened. That film will rub off and it will leave a splotch easily. The plastic crystal over the gearbox (where the gearshift is) is cheap plastic. If you fart in the car, it can scratch it. I'm trying to make a cover for it because to it will continue to mar. I can't find one commercially made for this. Mazda admitted to me that it scratches easily. It's over $500 to replace. The tires had a treadwear rating of 260. That's not great at all. I replaced them with Hankook Kinergy PT H737 with an 860 rating. My mechanic said he's seen great wear with these for the price.

In a wintry climate, heated side view mirrors are great. It's not a creature comfort, but a safety feature. Having to go up to a Grand Touring trim to get them is expensive. I drove a beater car from 1989 and it had heated rear view mirrors. This isn't something new. I miss a CD player. When I was looking at cars, Subaru still had a CD player and Nissan was phasing it out in the 2019 model. For us that have lots of CDs, we miss the CD player. Mazda's warranties are lagging behind the competition. Mazda has to up its game. Mazda is trying to position itself against the luxury models at a better price. My feeling is if you want that luxury quality, you may have to look at the luxury brands. Generally, you get what you pay for. Even a used luxury brand is worth looking at if you want that luxury feel. When I buy a new car, I will closely at the competitors again.

Reviewed April 15, 2022

Mazda says their motto is to make you feel alive, I say it’s the opposite. It should be “Make you signed death warrant”. Here is case. I purchased brand new 2016 Mazda cx5 from Mazda dealership back in 2015. Loved the car. It was driving smooth and nice. I recommended multiple family member and friends to buy Mazda after this and few bought it as well. Got all of my car services done at Mazda dealership service centers as well. Move past to year 2022 February. I was driving car on highway while an Emergency Break light came on and noise from rear. Took it to dealership to get it checked up and they said it was rear caliper that was dragging the brakes with rotors, it will need to get replaced. (This was right side on original inspection.)

While servicing they found left side caliper was doing same thing and it had damaged brake and rotors as well. I came to find out there was a TSB Ref # R052/16C created for this issue back in 2016 and revised in 2017. It was a known issue that Mazda knew about it and my car’s VIN number was within the range of cars that could have this issue. I never received a notice that there could be an issue with my car and go have it checked it out at service center. When this TSB came out my car was still within the original warranty and could have gotten this fixed. But by the time when this issue came up car was out of warranty by then and they have put my family and mine life in risk for good 5 years, good thing it didn’t cause any accident while I was driving the car around. I ended paying $1712.15 for rear two new caliper, pair of brakes, rotors and service.

I reached out to Mazda USA to help with the bill since it was a known issue. They came back saying they can’t do anything since it wasn’t a recall. Mazda dealership service center was no help either, even I bought the car from them and had all my serviced done with them as well, won’t do any goodwill or offer any service. After multiple calls with Mazda customer service center over multiple months case is still going. I did not expected that I would be signing a death warrant by buying a Mazda I would not recommend anyone any more to get into business with Mazda. I care about safety of drivers. If Mazda can’t send out a communication to even to get the vehicle checked out for safety reason, well that is a shame and like I said they should not be using the slogans like “Make you feel alive” and just change it to “Make you signed death warrant”. Hope after reading this someone will reach out to offer help.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsCoveragePrice

Reviewed April 1, 2022

After buying a 2015 Mazda CX-5 pre-owned vehicle I had a drivetrain issue at 60K miles that cost $2800 to repair in October of 2021. Even though the preowned warranty was for 7 years and 100K miles they wouldn't cover the repair costs due to some technicality they cited with the warranty agreement. The original dealership changed ownership twice in the three years, so I brought the car to another dealership for repairs and dealt with Mazda corporate for reimbursement. The dealership that did the repairs agreed it was faulty drivetrain parts, but told me Mazda corporate said it was out of warranty.

After repeated attempts to contact the customer experience center both by phone and email, over several months, I could never get past their first line of customer service to make my case to anyone with any authority to review my case. On several occasions they indicated they would get back to me, but never did. I would recommend against buying a new or preowned Mazda. They do not stand behind their product as evidenced by the initial faulty drivetrain and lack of customer support.

- Steve

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed March 15, 2022

I bought my 2021 Mazda CX-5 in February of 2021 in Saint Louis, Missouri. I travel for work and I am currently in Flagstaff, Arizona. My vehicle began making a roaring sound from the passenger side tire. I thought it was odd because my car only has 30,000 miles on it. I took it to a local mechanic because the closest Mazda dealership is over 100 miles away. And I did not feel comfortable driving it. Turns out my wheel bearing is bad. I called Mazda customer service and they said “Yes that wheel bearings are covered under warranty," and they can call for a tow truck but there is no guarantee that a tow truck will be able to come get it, and if they do there will be no guarantee that it can be dropped back off. I have no other vehicle to pick it up. I asked if I could just take my vehicle to a mechanic and have them repair it and be reimbursed and the customer service rep said, “no it will have to be a Mazda dealership for warranty to cover it.”

In conclusion, there is no guarantee that my vehicle will be picked up, and if it is there is no guarantee that it will be dropped off. Also no reimbursement so I am paying out of pocket. What is the point of a “warranty” that does not give you options to repair your vehicle? The customer service rep said she would transfer me to her supervisor and that she also sent her my number in case we got disconnected. She hung up the phone and I never received a call from her supervisor. Mazda warranty is **.

Reviewed March 10, 2022

I leased a Mazda in August of last year. I got in a car accident in January. Mazda in Palm Beach Gardens has my car for repair. They can not give me a date since they can't get parts until maybe June. Mazda Financial told me to trade the lease in for a new one, I spent 5 hours at Mazda in PBG they wanted to offer me the same car @ 750.00 a month vs the 300.00 I am paying currently as well as 5000. down and trade in the car they are repairing. I have called Mazda corp, Mazda Financial as well as the Mazda dealership for some help with no returned phone. They will NOT give me a loaner car because they only give out loaners for service issues. My current position is I have NO car. No idea when it will be fixed. Paying 300.00 a month for my lease as well as 1500.00 a month for a rental car.

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2021

My car front control arm had a total failure in which the ring holding the ball joint on the front passenger side snapped the approximately 1 inch solid metal, This happened while driving. My car slammed to a halt, my tire disconnected and rotated 90 degrees. I have owned many older Classic Vehicles, and this is the first time I have seen this without a full side on collision. I called Mazda Canada, and got told the Car was out of warranty. As a result of there not being a recall on this part I am on my own. Damaged caused was Control Arm, Ball Joint, Front and Rear Bushings as well as a new axle need. You have to love being taken advantage of. This was my first Mazda purchase, and my last.

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2021

I use to love the CX9, until they gave it an overbite. Or Duckface.. I don't know,, The front end is hideous. I'm now currently Waiting till they change it to go back to Mazda. Everything else about the CX9 grand touring is amazing.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2021

My 2017 Mazda CX-3 has rust problems on the roof and hatch panels within 4 years. The smallest stone chips will lead to migration of rust under the paint causing bubbling. The underside and the inside of the hatch rusts even without stone chips. The bottom inside weld of the hatch rusts. This was not sprayed when I had the car rust proofed (so request it). Mazda declined my claim under the 7 year rust perforation warranty. They are still not choosing to design their cars for the North American rust belt. Similar complaints can be found on internet forums. Otherwise this is a good car.

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2021

OK, the car drives and handles well so that's why it gets two stars but otherwise owning it has been awful. The computer needs to update? Reboots in the middle of driving. No kidding, literally on the road, using the navigation I spent several hundred dollars for, the car's computer reboots. Not once, twice. I take it to the dealership, the guy says "yeah, the computer needs to be updated, no big deal".

Then there is the computer not recognizing my phone 9 times out of 10, including when I wanted to dial 911 to report an accident. So useful! Even when it does recognize the phone, want to play Pandora? Better have the phone on and Pandora open or else nope. Open phone and turn on Pandora after the car decides it can't find them? Nope. Not going to recognize Pandora until you turn the car off and back on again. Want to use the iPod that is literally plugged into it? Maybe. We might let you. Unless we refuse to recognize it until you reboot the iPod and turn off and on the car.

Then the driver's seat ripped within a few months of purchase. I took it in, it took weeks to replace the seat. Then the plastic piece that protects the electronics under the driver's seat broke. I took it in, got it fixed, that took weeks because the part had to be ordered. It broke again. I got it fixed again. It just broke this evening, and I just don't even know what to do. I deeply regret purchasing this vehicle.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed March 30, 2021

They do not treat customers very well. Their cars are substandard and when I try to get my car fixed, even more mechanical problems arise. Coincidence? I had to bring in my car twice for the same issue only to go to a third-party to have it fixed properly. Having said that even more mechanical issues have arisen. When I talk to them they are very condescending and rude. It was shocking at first but after a few times of trying to reason of them I discovered that they do not care about the customer. I recommend not buying a Mazda or dealing with any of them or their associates.

Reviewed March 29, 2021

Mazda has a horrible policy. They do not contact users through DMV so if your information for your car is not up to date through a dealership then you will not get notified if there's a "recall" or "repair" for your car. So in my situation the extended warranty for the part I had a problem with was 10 years and the 10th year was covid year. I found out there was a warranty replacement but it was too late and they won't own up to the fact that they don't notify everyone that has the car/issue and said it's my fault for not taking my car to a dealer to get service? What's that nonsense?

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2021

I bought two CX-5's within a month of each other. One Certified and one was not. Both cars had the same problem the first month of ownership. Totally worn out brakes on both rotors on both cars were extremely rusted. Neither was covered by Integrity Mazda in Chattanooga, TN. I contacted all kind of people. Finally ended up with Mazda Corporation. They were as worthless as the dealership. I am now working on a commercial with Honda to tell people that changing to another car is a huge mistake. Never had these issues with Honda.

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2020

Bought a gorgeous lookin 2016 Mazda Miata, supposedly having undergone 150+ point inspection. After continuing to add air to the tires day after day and having a valve stem replaced, being informed the tires suffered from dry rot, not safe for extended use- replaced the tires ($800 setback). Texts and calls went ignored.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2020

After less than a year of ownership my MX-5 convertible was developing holes in the soft top from rubbing on the frame. I researched the problem and found several instances of this including a long term test done by Motor Trend that showed photos of the top wearing in the same exact spots as mine. Their top and others I saw were fixed by replacing the frame with a newer design that doesn’t rub and the cloth soft top. For some reason on mine they will only replace the cloth top. That will not solve the problem.

The service department agrees with me and so did The person at Mazda I talked to on the phone but Mazda still won’t approve the frame replacement. This will be my first and last Mazda purchase! I have owned several new cars and have never experienced anything as bad as this. It’s a shame because I really do like the car otherwise. But if they won’t fix an obvious problem I’m not going to take a chance that I’ll have a worse problem later. Trading it in for another car before this new top starts getting holes in it!

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2020

We had a CX-9 signature bought straight out of the dealership and after 4 years the panel from passenger back door just came out on our son's hand. They blamed us for their lack of quality and I have the video to proof.

Reviewed April 1, 2020

This car is extremely dangerous. It’s all touchscreen, and the numbers and letters for heat, music and air conditioning are so minute you can barely see them. Wtf??? Why not knobs. Are your engineers stupid, I have to date almost been in 2 very bad crashes due to trying to just turn on the air. I also hate the touchscreen for the Internet connection using my phone. This is ridiculous and so dangerous. I made a mistake buying this car.

PriceReliability

Reviewed March 7, 2020

Engine Failure. My wife's car that we both really enjoyed until recently. I did a lot of research on this vehicle before we purchased it and the price was excellent with the Tech option. All was ok until a few weeks ago. Started noticing the smell of burnt oil in the cabin when we were stopped at an intersection. Came home, looked under the vehicle and didn't notice anything. This continued on each time we used it (we carpool so it doesn't get driven daily) and then eventually I noticed oil spots on our driveway. Thought it may be either dripping from the filter or the bolt so I decided to do an oil change which I noticed that there was an excessive amount of oil present on the underside of the chassis and also in the plastic shroud that must be removed to access the oil pan and filter. The bolt and filter were on tight so the oil was coming from another location.

Drove the vehicle into work the following day and again the smell of burning oil (like oil that would get onto the exhaust) was present when the vehicle was running but at a stop. Parked in a spot where there were no oil spots and I went into work. Roughly 3 hours later I had a look at the vehicle and noticed a 5" round oil spot under the vehicle. Contacted the Mazda dealership and drove it in for an appointment that afternoon. They had the vehicle for 2 hours and I came there after work to check up on what they found. First words out of the technician were "we ordered you a new engine as this one has a porous block". Not sure if the block was porous or cracked as one would think that after 31000kms it would have been evident sooner.

Regardless, the dealership provided a replacement vehicle (Mazda 3) and have indicated that this will be repaired once they receive a new engine as they were on back order. Dealership also indicated that this is not the first 2.5L with this issue found on a 2018 CX5. I've owned over 30 vehicles so far and this is the first time I've had this type of failure. Needless to say, I'm not too happy with the reliability demonstrated by a Japanese built vehicle.

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2020

My daughter was massacred in her Mazda 3, they say it was 35 miles an hour. The entire front end was ripped off, engine laying on ground. It didnt seem right so I contacted Mazda to see if they were interested in defending the safety record of their products, guess what? If you're not buying you can go ** yourself. FYI we are not suing anyone, just want the truth and justice. Apparently Mazda doesnt care about their ** claims to a safe car. Friends if you have children, get them anything but a Mazda. God bless.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2020

So for almost a year I’ve been receiving these pamphlets in the mail about a recall for my airbag. And it always said it would take an hour to complete. I take the day off work and drive half an hour to my nearest Mazda dealer for my appointment. Apparently there’s 3 recalls that need to be done and it’s a 3-4 hour wait!!!! They should give me a new car for all of this bs. There’s less than a zero percent chance of me ever buying another Mazda. I get to spend my whole entire morning sitting in a Mazda dealership. I’m fuming right now!!

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2020

I received a SSPA9 (Special Service Program) notice (gap between a instrument panel and information display) on October 2017. I called my local dealer (Scott Mazda of Allentown) three times and last call being on Feb.6 2018 and each time I was told that the parts are on backorder. I since forgot about it until today because I had to bring the car in for another common problem that a RECALL should be issued for (flickering lights while breaking) and asked about it again, but unfortunately I was informed that the SSPA9 has expired. I called Mazda customer service and was told that I should've brought the car to the dealer and gotten a work order to prove that I had the problem!. I wish someone had told me that the last time I called (Feb. 6 2018). Seems to me like a very convenient way to avoid paying for the repair!!!.

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2019

This is a fun car and great to drive. Not for everybody, as it requires some extra care. Mine still like new. No more is being made due to the fuel consumption regulations. As a sports car, I enjoy the extra space in the rear seats. The body style is just super.

Installation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2019

The only thing I do not like about my CX nine 2018 model is that it doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. Of course Mazda came out with Apple CarPlay with the following model year 2019 and then wanted to charge me $250 to install it in my car which I thought was a bunch of **.

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2019

This vehicle has been very dependable with no major repairs needed. I've been a bit disappointed as to the fuel economy. The model I purchased was a 4-cylinder. I've only been getting around 25 mpg on the highway, not as fuel efficient as other 4-cylinder pickups I've owned in the past. The interior is a bit cramped, but then again, it is a small pickup. Overall, I've been happy with it. I may opt for a 6-cylinder pickup next time around which will be a bit more powerful than a 4-cylinder and still economical to drive.

Reliability

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2019

I bought a new Mazda CX-5 based on reviews in 2016. It is comfortable and peppy. This is first crossover vehicle I have owned and I like it. It sits higher than a car and has more space to haul things, yet is small enough to easily park in tight spaces. So far it is very reliable.

Mazda Company Information