3.76/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mazda 3

The Mazda 3 is a fuel-efficient 4-door sedan with three available trims. Read more Mazda reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mazda 3 Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Mazda does not back their product. I purchased a brand new 2014 Mazda 3. I had two issues that were recalled for other Mazda 3's of the same year as mine, but mine were not covered under the recall. I reached out to Mazda corporate for both issues, but they said since my car was no longer under warranty there is nothing they can do.

The first incident was a stuck driver's side brake caliper which made the wheel get very hot and it was not safe to drive. I had to have the caliper, rotors and brake pads replaced. I was without a car for 3 weeks because the part was back ordered (probably since there was a recall for other Mazdas). The second issue also a major safety hazard also had a recall, but once again my car was not covered. I kept smelling fuel after I would fill up. They found a leak in the gas tank along the weld seem and fuel was leaking in under the back seat. Once again, Mazda said my car was not covered in the recall and there was nothing they could do. I had to wait 2 weeks for that repair because they had to order a new gas tank and fuel pump.

Both of these repairs were very expensive not to mention safety issues and inconvenience of not being able to drive a car with 30,000 miles on it. In between these 2 repairs, I also had to have an engine module replaced which was another week without a car and another big expense. I will never purchase another Mazda nor will my family or friends who own them now.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback in 2007 and it was a great car with no repairs ever. I just loved the driving experience. Then this year I bought the new 2019 Hatchback and I couldn't be happier. And what a good-looking car. There aren't many color choices unfortunately but I ended up with a Machine Grey color, with a black interior and black wheels and tinted windows. It's awesome to look at and awesome to drive. And I'm counting on having no problems with it ever. The infotainment system is a little hard to adjust to but learning all about the car is fun too... to a certain extent. Just so you don't think I think the car is perfect, I do wish Mazda would get rid of the little running-boards. They just collect leaves and dirt and they do diminish the looks of the car if you're close to it. Bottom-line: I love my Mazda cars and hope Mazda has improved their Warranty service....

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback. I love the vehicle BUT this thing rusts like crazy. I live in Michigan but I've take very good care of the vehicle. I wash it and wax it with the best stuff. I even clay bar it! Quick search on the internet and you will see that the number one complaint is rust. You can't stop it. I can't believe there isn't a rust recall on these vehicles.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We purchased the new Mazda 3 GT in 2014 at Bert Ogden Mazda, and we paid over $35,000. My son had an accident in this car, radar sensor and the camera didn't help him to avoid or reduce the accident at all. Now, we found out that the radar sensor wasn't in the car. Additionally we found out that there were cheap second hand parts that were used for the brand new car. We protested Mazda against this suspicion of fraud, however they haven't responded irresponsibly. We have never seen a dishonest company like Mazda. According to our body shop, the second hand parts were also used for new 2017 Mazda 3.If you have the same problem with Mazda, let's do something together!

Original review: April 2, 2019

Came in for a warning light regarding traction control. Was told they updated vehicle software that did not fix problem. Was told they needed to replace transmission sensors. Parts put in, but it DID NOT FIX the problem. New adjuster says I have a blown transmission! 2015 Mazda 3 with 38,000 miles. Unbelievable. Just past 5 year powertrain warranty so I'm stuck with paying for it. Even after 2 service adjusters and 2 mechanics said they have never seen a blown transmission on a vehicle like this. Sounds like a factory defect but they would not back their product.

Adjuster was able to get Mazda corporate to split the cost for the transmission but I was still stuck with paying for all of the prior attempts that did not fix the problem. Bottom line, thousands of dollars and over a month without a car to fix a 2015 Mazda 3 BLOWN Automatic Transmission with 38,000 miles. "Safety technology that inspires confidence"..."not building anything less"... What a slogan!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mazda 3?

Original review: March 23, 2019

"We have a strict warranty policy". Let me interpret what those depressing words mean. Mazda does not back their product. We have a Mazda 3, one year old with less than 3,000 miles on it. The buttons on the center console infotainment radio control module, got stuck so they would not pop up, it was strange because the ones that got stuck down were like 3 out of 5 of them but they were not adjacent. There was no abuse, there were no spills.

We took it to the dealer fully expecting it to be covered under the 3 year 36,000 thousand mile warranty. The diagnostic evaluation was done by the service manager, not a mechanic, who took a picture of the module showing minimal amount of dust and dirt and straw, around the edges in the channel around the edge of the module. This is present in every car, it is certainly conditions of normal use.

The service manager then, proudly, "sent the photo to the company" and the company said they would not cover it because the unit was subject to "outside influence", which I guess means, we actually used the car sometimes. We were quoted a price of 450 dollars to repair it. We of course were upset, but the service manager made sure to tell me that he had taken a picture of the (minimal) amount of normal usage dirt on his cell phone, I guess in case I got any funny idea of vacuuming it or something. Even if something did get into the module, to have such a part be so delicate would require, in my opinion, that customers be warned that any evidence of dirt ever getting into your car will void the warranty. (And if their parts are so delicate that is a reason not to buy a Mazda for sure).

We were told by people to call the corporate regional service manager, we called the 800 number where they proudly told us that they have "a strict warranty policy", by which of course they mean, that they find every way possible to screw their customers. We got nowhere, except the regional corporate person told us to go to the next closest dealer who is 50 miles away, but that it would probably not help us because they already had "proof" of the "outside influences" (the 800 number person didn't have the picture). No more, never will we ever go near a Mazda dealer again, nor will be ever own one, even rent one. Zoom, zoom, zoom!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Purchased a 2013 Mazda 3 at 25K miles with Certified Pre-Owned Warranty on last day Aug 2018. Headlight flicker found was in Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) with computer (PCM) update as fix. Mazda refused to cover it. Oil level was high with fuel into crankcase as in another TSB with PCM update fix. Mazda refused to cover it. Two other TSBs had PCM updates. Four PCM updates in the history! I paid $100 to update the PCM rather than risk headlight flicker and the damage from the fuel in the crankcase and the aggravation of two other TSB types of engine check lights from bad PCM operation. Mazda engineers must not be doing their QC properly and do not fix the PCM right with the first time the TSB comes out.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 with 58,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle brand new and have performed all required maintenance. I have to replace the entire transmission at a cost of $5,400 and Mazda has not offered any help on an obvious defect. Do not buy this car!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The Mazda 3 drives great, it handles well, drives nice in rain or snow and it gets great gas mileage for its size. I have owned it for six months. I love the shape of it (it has a long, curvy front, and short rear), I love the Mazda "smile". Also, the way it drives is fun and accelerates quickly. The sound system could be improved and I would add a rear windshield wiper or slope the back window better. The back window is hard to see out of in the rain.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My Mazda 3 has great gas mileage. Came with cheap tires that cupped after 20k miles. Handles very well and I haven't felt unsafe in the 3 years I've owned it. Handles okay during the winter. But what do you expect, it's not a Subaru. Tight suspension so you feel the road. Kinda bothersome on long trips, but really not that bad. The back window is hard to see out of during the rain. Poor runoff or needs a wiper? Not many vehicles beat it that are strictly gasoline users (i.e. not an electric or a hybrid vehicle). It has a nice sporty look but wasn't hard on my budget.

Mazda 3 Company Information