Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Magellan GPS
3.37/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS Reviews

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Magellan GPS: Friends, do not purchase a gps from magellan if you are in the market for one. I went to update mine, as I had "free lifetime map updates" when I first bought it. It wouldn't work. Apparently, if your computer software is too recent, it won't work with it. As a matter of fact, their customer "service" person sucked, and I was actually asked: "Can't you take it to a friend's house to do it?" yeah. Load magellan stuff onto your friends computer (as long as he hasn't updated his software recently I guess), and for me that's an hour and thirty minute trip, each way, to my closest friend's house.

That's how they scam you I guess. Promise free lifetime updates, but not if your computer is running the latest update, or magellan doesn't work with it. What a ridiculous rip-off. So, if you buy magellan, you are not allowed to update the latest software release, or it's useless. Nice. Way to go, magellan. Thanks for making your customers (ex-customer now, and hopefully you guys avoid them like the plague also) have to do a boatload of running around and using other people's older computers in order for your gps to be current. Hopefully I save you guys the hassle if you need a gps soon, as these guys will leave you old and out-dated and want you to jump through hoops for them.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

1. Magellan offers "Lifetime Maps". But, their interpretation is the lifetime of their units is only 3 years. After 3 years, no new maps for that model. Something they don't tell you until you complain. FRAUD? 2. Earlier "Content Manager" allowed me to get maps and "Sync" multiple units' address data so each address was only entered once for all units and one could sync remaining units. They dropped Content Mgr and then went to "SmartGPS.eco" to get new maps. SmartGPS.eco is very cumbersome compared to Content Mgr, AND, does now offer address sync support. I was told I could enter individual address into each unit by hand. What a ripoff!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MAGELLAN!!!

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

2018 Magellan GPS, tried to update right away the maps last year. "Map is the last available version." Today I tried again and got the same message. Called in and was asked to pay 199.99 USD. Seriously? I was told that my computer and newer GPS unit are infected with a virus... (I never run a PC without the newest antivirus updates!!!). So I was told from Magellan support to pay 199.99 USD to clean my computer and to get my new GPS map! I refused and was told that the Canadian government would not allow anymore free map updates since 1st of July 2019. I seriously asked if the senior support agent worked for Magellan and he said, "yes." 1 year maps 199.99 USD/2 years map update and service ONLY 245 USD for a Magellan Roadmate 5620-LM with FREE lifetime map updates I bought last year at Canadian Tire Spruce Grove, Alberta. That is fraud!

Original review: July 13, 2019

Bought a TRX for Christmas, had difficulties initially because it was not user friendly. Decided to keep it and work through the issue and learn the product...What a mistake! After about 3 months it works about 10% of the time. “Unfortunately the TRX has stopped” keeps coming up with no map display. After a 1/2 hour or so, SOMETIMES it will start working for about 30 mins and then it stops working again. A waste of money, a waste of time and pure disappointment in the product.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Can't update maps. Pretty much the same problem everyone else is having. No maps for device. Pretty shady company. Website software won't recognize the device. And customer service is non-existent. It amazes me that this company is still in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: June 13, 2019

Bought unit for the Lifetime Map updates. This is not true, it is only 3 years. First time I got to update maps, process did not work. Emailed Magellan support, followed their instructions: delete Map folder, back up, format. Still has insufficient space issue, now I have no map folder, so I have no GPS. Magellan solution, buy a new unit. Never again!

Original review: June 3, 2019

Software update crashed the hard drive on my current 5045-LM GPS. MANY attempted fixes, later it was deemed UN-repairable by their tech support. Convinced me to buy a new one 5520-LM. So I did, got it, opened the box and tried to set it up. It will NOT recognize my time zone. I live in Ontario Canada and for the time zone to be correct I need to manually choose Singapore...?

14 emails later and countless hours of back and fourths they simply stopped communicating with me and now I am stuck with 2 of their GPS units that are broken and UN-usable. One is 100% damaged beyond all repair due to one of their very own software updates and another arrive broken. Their suggestion, re-install new software and maps on the NEW GPS device. Why, the unit is brand new out of the box. I am so disgusted and I will not stop until I get some answers. I have left numerous messages on their corporate HR and Marketing voicemails and no one has had the common courtesy to even return my calls. I have NEVER in my 48 years ever experience such disrespect and total lack of service from any company.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We paid $400 for a Magellan GPS. It did not charge from day one. We called multiple time to get help to no avail. They do not stand by their product. They did not offer to repair or replace it. This is what they say "We suggest purchasing a brand new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. This way, you’ll have a working device at your earliest convenience." HA HA. What a joke! Why on earth would I even consider purchasing another Magellan when the 1st one didn't work. Anyway, I recommend you doing full research and reviewing GARMIN or Rand McNally options. We have used both and they worked far better. Good luck in your hunt for a good, reliable GPS.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased this GPS because it advertised a lifetime map upgrade. In trying to upgrade it I found that no upgraded maps were offered for this model. Practically impossible to find a number to call so I emailed a customer service agent. She asked me to provide proof that lifetime maps were offered on this model. Thankfully I kept the box which advertised the lifetime upgrades so I was able to email a picture. That's the last I heard from customer service or anyone else from Magellan. I attempted to email several times with no responses to emails. After reading several reviews it seems I am not the only one experiencing this lack of service. Seems this is a common practice with this company. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Magellan.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Magellan's support website states that "Lifetime" Map Updates are only guaranteed for three years from date of purchase. Contacted support and got this response: “Please note that your unit has the latest map version 61 installed. Due to that, there will be no longer map update available for your unit. This is due to the technological advances in mapping data over that past few years. The size of the mapping data is too great to be handled by the older hardware. We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below: https://www.magellangps.com/store/.”

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs