Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner

Magellan GPS

4.1/5 (124 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Magellan GPS

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Magellan GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan GPS?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: April 30, 2021

I purchased a Roadmate GPS from Magellan and have had nothing but problems for the last year. I have tried to contact support but there are no live persons to answer a phone and no one responds to the online request for support. I would never buy another product from this company! A company that does not respond to their customers are useless for support after the sale. I would suggest any other GPS unit but not a Magellan!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GPS DEVICE!!! It is expensive and lacks field versatility. Navigation to off road GPS coordinates is not possible with this device. Tech Support exists via email only and is based outside of the Americas. This form of tech support is largely ineffective, non-responsive, one dimensional, and very frustrating. Using the street navigation is all but worthless. Buy at your own peril..

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

This handheld GPS is 10 years old. It was expensive. My discs don't work in newer PCs. Like others have already stated, this company offers no support. This is unacceptable. You can't email then they just send you in circles. Very frustrating. I'll never buy again or recommend this brand to anyone. Shame on Magellan.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Magellan has to be the worst comp for product support that I have ever had to deal with. When you go to "contact us", you get nothing but Q&A or get passed back to "contact us". They do not leave an email address that allows you to send them a question or a phone number to talk to anyone. May as well throw out this unit they made and get a GPS from a reputable company. Simply put,.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

To upgrade maps on a Magellan Roadmate GPS, the website magellangps.com is used. A plugin called mgncontentmanager.msi by MiTac Digital Corp is supposed to be used. The plugin did not work on any of my computers. I tried to get help at magellangps.com in a chat but they kept insisting on a telephone number which I did not want to give. I could not get help otherwise. Therefore, I had a product and service from magellangps.com that was totally unsatisfactory.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I received the unit as a gift. I followed the instructions to update the software before use. I hooked it to my computer and started the update. It failed due to "no more room". After this, none of my computers (Win 10/Win 8/Win Vista) would recognize the unit. I contacted customer support. They sent one response to:

1. Soft reset the unit – Press and hold the power button for a few seconds to turn the device off. Then, press and hold the power button again to turn the device on.
    2. Hard reset the unit – Poke the reset hole located at the back of the device, on the lower right corner.
    Please note: Once you poke the reset hole, the device will restart with the factory defaults loaded.

3. Re-initiate the update – You may refer to the link below for the instructions on how to properly install an update via SmartGPS Eco website:

In my initial contact to them, I told them I had tried both hard and soft resets. I was hospitalized in the middle of this and after returning home and trying to resume getting this process, I have been told that the unit is out of warranty and that I need to buy a new one. I can assure you, with this level of customer service and care for those who have their devices, I will NEVER purchase Magellan products, nor will I use them..paper maps give better service!

Original review: May 29, 2020

I just experienced scam from this company's web. Because I have an old 1700 Magellan GPS and I would like to update online. It was on a long weekend in US. Someone made a app to get my phone from Magellan's web. This company do not have phone number to contact to and give someone an opportunity to scam royalty Magellan's customers. Here is the phone number from scam:8006239204, **. I cannot to get hold with magellan, and just want every aware when you are try to update your GPS from Magellan.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Do not buy a gps from this company! The first Smart Gps I purchased broke within 6 months so I was able to get Refurbished one. Now 4 years later with a promise of lifetime maps my gps stopped getting a signal! Tried to call the company but they would not take my call as they told me the unit was old and would only do email support! I was told to buy an SD card and a long list of instructions on how to format and download on a computer the updates. I don’t have a computer and was told to go use a friend’s computer! Yea okay that’s a solution! Then when I got the SD card that I had to purchase it was the wrong one! They didn’t tell me I needed a micro SD card (I know nothing about this kind of stuff). So I had to waste more money once again! Finally did all the instructions just for it not to work.

Customer service told me there was nothing they could do since the warranty was up. I asked, “Could you send a replacement for a discount or perhaps a coupon towards a new unit?” But I got an email saying that it wasn’t company guidelines and that I would get her in trouble for trying to ask such a thing! So I wasted money on a non fixable unit that was promised to me that this would be the solution and they won’t even help out a long term customer. So much for the lifetime maps. I won’t ever buy from this company again!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Purchased this item new, in unopened box. Included documentation very superficial. On-line manual did not contain charging information, instructed to connect to website. Attempt to accomplish this unsuccessful, was repetitively instructed to download program, but this repetitively failed. Website did not provide direct phone # for support, but found from another source on line. First discussion with service tech told me his supervisor would call me back in 10 minutes, didn't call back at all. Reached service tech again, was told device incompatible with Mac, even though box states is compatible with Mac OS > 10. Tech recommended finding someone with a PC in order to register and update the device. For Mac users, look somewhere else for GPS.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Hi There, I have bought two GPS from this company. Within a short period both of them busted with blank screen. Also the cable, the pin dropped out for no reason. The GPS were pretty expensive, around 150$ each. None of the warranty have been honored, very frustrating. Not only that, the 'life long map updates' Printed in bold letters on both GPS, really is just fraudulent advertising. When the GPS worked (which was just a short period), I couldn't get the updates to work. Very frustrating. I recommend people buy from other companies which have are more ethical.

Magellan author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

Magellan GPS Company Information