Magellan GPS
1.03/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

158 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The advertising sounds good with "Lifetime Map updates". Read the terms, a Magellan lifetime is 3 years. Goes by quickly and then you have a device with inaccurate maps. From what I can see on the website I cannot purchase new updates. Planned obsolescence.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAGELLAN GPS devices!!! their customer service is non-existent. My Magellan GPS was acting up a little, but not to bad, so I downloaded the “Recovery Tool” for my device, followed the instructions exactly, which wiped and reset my device. However, when it was done “recovering”, there were no maps loaded (none at all). Other than that the unit was working great. I connected it to my PC and went to the spartgpseco.com site using the Chrome browser. Logged in, the site recognized my unit, applied a newer firmware update. But when all was done and over, my device still had zero maps loaded.

With no map updates showing on the smartgpseco.com site for my device I was stuck with a GPS that was ready to function, but had no maps to use to do anything. I might as well had a rock for a GPS. I searched for a way to contact support. After a lot of digging I finally found an email address, so opened a ticket on a Sunday mentioning to them that I needed to Travel the following Saturday.

On Tuesday I received a generic email with instructions on how to connect the device to a PC and go to the smartgpseco.com site and do the same steps I had already done. That same day (Tuesday) I tried it again just to be able to say I followed their instructions, then emailed them saying I still had no maps loaded. I did not get any further reply. So on Thursday I messaged support again and asked them to escalate the ticket, since I had to travel in 2 days.

On Friday night, still no follow up from Magellan support. From what I have read from others and from the experience I have had, my guess is that Magellan does not care about their customers beyond the initial sale of the device. I travel tomorrow and will need to buy a new GPS with money I do not have. Needless to say I will not be buying a Magellan ever again and will be telling as many people that will listen of my experience and telling them to not buy a Magellan either. Way to go Magellan, Way to be short sighted and look only for the short sale instead of trying to retain and build lifetime customers.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Keeps getting lost. Will not recalculate. Wants to route you somewhere else. Complete wrong direction. Then when you get close to your destination - it starts giving correct directions. ME - I'm going to throw it away and purchase a TomTom. Have had 2 of them before and they always worked fine.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered an Magellan Roadmate GPS, model #5375T-LMB, to replace the 8 year old Magellan 2145T GPS I already own but could not update. I did have years of great service from that GPS, but figured it was time to upgrade. Yesterday, 10/1/18 I received my new #5375T GPS. To my surprise, not only are every link supplied for customer support no longer active, I am encountering the exact same problem with linking my computer to the new GPS as I was with my old GPS. I have spent hours trying to just register it, with no luck at all. I even tried a different computer. The SmartGPS ECO program will not load, nor will the Magellan web site even notice the GPS is plugged into my computer. It has me running in a continuous loop.

I called Tech Support twice yesterday and waited on hold for around 45 minutes before I finally became disgusted and hung up. This morning I tried them again, multiple times over the course of two hours (Pacific Time), and kept receiving an answering machine in a language I don't understand. I finally called the company where I ordered the GPS from and talked to one of their Customer Service Reps. He told me the model GPS I ordered is too old to be updated!! This was NOT in the description when I ordered it or I never would have bought it. Besides, it has "Free Lifetime Maps", so why won't the software connect?

Long story short, I can return it for a refund, minus a 15% restocking fee plus I pay return shipping. This is false advertising at the very least, or blatant lies by the company. I have since contacted my credit card company and disputed the sale. Hopefully this will help me get a full refund. I won't ever buy another Magellan product. I hope this helps someone...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Company is trash, the site, the login, the phone numbers, the free updates, contact information is all bogus, there is no way to contact them, either to complain or praise. They do not want contact. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I bought a Magellen RoadMate 3065 LT from Canadian Tire in 2014. I bought it because This unit had Lifetime map upgrade, however Magellan says Lifetime updates mean 3 years. After 3 years of use, the unit is now considered obsolete and not eligible for any map updates. I feel lifetime map updates should be longer than just 3 years! I feel as though I was lied too. They should have advertises 3 years map updates, not lifetime updates.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I tried for 45 minutes to get through to Magellan to purchase a part for the mount for a Roadmate RM2622-LM. There is no parts list available. The warehouse sales page shows the specific GPS, but the mounting accessory shown is obviously the wrong one. When I tried to reach customer service, putting in my email and password several times, it would log me in, and I could update my information. The process to register the new GPS failed because the program download had an error. When I tried several times to get a service request to ask for help to get the part, I kept getting ‘Server Error’ messages. Magellan GPS does not do service!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had two Magellan Roadmates that were 1 yr old and the batteries swelled up 1" and split the units so they didn't work. At that time Magellan had an online chat option so they said send them in by courier and they would replace them ($50 for shipping). That was Jan. 2018. 9 months later and still nothing and there is no way to contact the company. I tried sending emails to the email address they originally provided me but the responses stopped in Feb 2018. STAY AWAY from any of Magellan products! I tell everyone I can to NOT buy any Magellan products.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I started the updates from the office site. It then stopped right in the middle and now I can't use my device at all. It would be nice if someone could contact me so I could send it in for you to fix free of charge being as it was your program that ** it all to hell.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased the 3045 several years ago as my first ever GPS. It served me well as far as I knew, however when it came time to update I was never able to make it work on my iMac. I had the newest OS and I also had two Macs. I wound up giving it to a coworker who used a PC and updated it. A year or so ago I also received a 9616T-LM as a gift. The larger screen and better graphics made it preferable to the 3045 except that it seemed to constantly lose the satellite signals when I was driving. I was also against a brick wall with updates. I did manage to open a dialog with them and they offered to help, something that took several months for them to finally get around to.

I tried what they suggested and hit the same brick wall. My computers do not see the connected units and I wind up on a constant loop of download, install, open and back again. Contacting them seems to have gotten me to a point where they will be having me ship them back to them for an update, although I am currently in the midst of another email thread and don't know the final outcome. Count me as another frustrated owner who thought he was getting the better unit over the other brands out there. Guess I am wrong.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had purchased a Magellan GPS 3045-LM with a lifetime map updates. I have not been able to do an update since the new SmartGPSEco software was implemented although the program tells me that there are updates available, in checking the Magellan website I learned that know they have a disclaimer that the useful life of a GPS is only 3 years hence maps will only be updated during that period as follows:

"Lifetime Maps - For all lifetime map subscriptions, lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. For all lifetime map subscriptions, you will receive map data updates when such updates are made available on Magellan’s website during the device’s useful life for that compatible Magellan device. “Device’s useful life” refers to the period during which the device has all required technical capabilities, including sufficient memory capacity and current operating system, to download and use current map data. A device’s useful life is considered to be a maximum of 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. A device will be considered past its useful life if it is more than 3 years old or if no updates have been downloaded for more than 2 years (24 months)."

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased this Magellan 5230 LM unit because it has both a gps and a dash cam. The first one was for my vehicle and the second was for my wife's car. After about a year they both quit, so I purchased two more after contacting Magellan, even though I was only a few day out of warranty on one of them, they would not help me. I couldn't even send it in for repairs and pay for it myself. Again, just shortly after the warranty period the new gps's failed. All four GPS's had screen problems. If you touched the left corner, it registered as a touch in the middle of the screen. In some parts of the screen it would not detect any presses. They have always been slow starting up right out of the box, and acquiring a signal takes some time.

All four of these units represent quite a investment in one household, everyone failed in the same manner and each time Magellan was extremely unhelpful. I would suggest that you stay away from this model and Magellan products altogether because they love to hide behind their warranty limits even though it is very obvious that they are offering defective items. I will go back to Garmin, I will dig one of my old ones out and I am 100% certain it will work, they just don't have lifetime maps.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been using the Roadmate GPS for a few weeks and found that the map was extremely outdated. I have purchased the device in 2018 but the map was 2004. I tried using their new web based content management to update the map but it kept giving an "insufficient storage" error similar to many others that have reviewed the Magellan devices. After countless hours of trial and error I was finally able to create a workaround that would fix the issue. For everyone else that has been tortured by this issue I created a YouTube video to help you out: **. Magellan needs to get its act together and find a viable solution as their technical support team is nonresponsive.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased a RoadMate GPS unit at Best Buy in Houston TX more than a year ago. I did so because I liked the bigger display and the panorama screen. The imagery was attractive and the onscreen navigation intuitive. I was a happy customer in the making. Until I wasn't. Problem #1. Updating maps. A nightmare. A third-party website without logical, understandable instructions. Downloads that failed. Failure that screwed up the operating system. Ultimately requiring a complete reinstall of both operating system + maps. Called customer support. Horrible experience.

Ultimately, the reinstall failed and I returned the unit for a replacement - a rebuilt, used RoadMate. It was better. For a season. Then it wasn't. The touchscreen stopped working. No way to enter data. Unusable. A few days of un-use and then a reprieve. It fixed itself. For a day. Yesterday, I jumped in my Tahoe to discover the unit case had split apart having been pushed apart by a exploded battery. A 1/2 inch gap now prevented the screen front from attaching to the rear portion of the unit.

Called customer support. Third-party, overseas, reps reading from a script. Useless. When I pressed them for a solution, they hung up on me. I called back. 2nd guy hung up on me. 3rd guy told me stuff that was untrue. Done with Magellan. Worse than Comcast. (Never thought I would say that.) I'm taking my split-apart Magellan RoadMate to the driving range tomorrow and will tee it up for a beating with my driver. Wanna watch? Hello Garmin. here I come.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My uncle gave my mother a Magellan RoadMate 5120-LMTX. You have to use the SmartGPSEco.com website to update map. The plug-in only works for Chrome web browser and not Firefox even though it is suppose to work for both. Even when the plugin works, it takes forever to download the map. The plugin and/or website doesn't recognize that the 5120 is plugged in even though I am using a mini USB data cable that came with a newer Garmin GPS. The link for their Recovery Tool software is broken. Overall an awful experience.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am trying to use the Magellan update manager to update my Magellan GPS Roadmate 2036 and have not had any success installing the software on my machine. The logs are cryptic, the error messages are worse and customer support (god knows where they are) wants to have remote session to your machine which is not acceptable to many people in this age of security hacks. I will continue to examine their software and try to solve the problem myself. It would be nice if they can tell you anywhere how to trace and debug the software. We do not need, God who knows who with strange accents and not very trustworthy names, to access our devices where we keep our financial information and other things. Grow up Magellan if you want to compete.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the Roadmate 5120-LMTX for years. Trying to get the content manager to recognize the GPS unit or even logging into my account fails every time. Recently I learned of a new content management site set up for replacing on computer Content Manager program. Went there, registered, had to download a file to install so the site could recognize my GPS device. Did that, installed ok, rebooted computer, went to site again and my GPS is not seen or recognized by the site. Went through reinstalling the file as recommended, retried on the website without success. SO MUCH FOR MAGELLAN GPS LIFETIME UPDATES!!! Thales Navigation is terrible at supporting their products and I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING Magellan again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We have owned a Magellan Road Mate vehicle GPS for several years. The left side of the touchscreen suddenly became unresponsive so we are unable to use the 'back' button and a number of letters on the keyboard to type in locations. Contacting someone at Magellan proved to be very difficult. Their customer service line is disconnected, no one answers the phone at their head office, and it took one week to get a response to our online request for assistance. In the end, we were told that Magellan does not provide help to customers 12 months after the purchase date. Overall, exceptionally poor customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Their support number is disconnected, they do not answer emails to support, they do not monitor their social media. In fact it is not updated for months. The lifetime maps will not download. Their local BBB sent them my complaint and they did not respond to either of two BBB communications over a 60 day period. I have to conclude they are out of business. My recommendation is to try to contact them before you give them your money. There are a lot of better choices in my opinion that hold a lot less risk.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased a Magellan 5230T-LM for my daughter. When I went into the Magellan site to update my maps I was told that I would have to pay for the map update. I submitted a ticket to Magellan support and was told that my device did not come with lifetime updates and was told to sent a picture of the box (which I had thrown out) or some proof that it came with lifetime updates. I responded with a picture showing the model number and serial number showing that is should come with lifetime updates. 1 week later they sent me directions on how to update my unit.

I tried to follow the directions but they still asked me to pay for the update. I sent an email back and asked for a number that I could speak to a live person. 2 weeks have now gone by and no answer from them. I own a number of electronics and have never had customer service this bad. Do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin. Updating the Garmin is easy and you wont be stuck having to pay for an update that should be free.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a new Magellan GPS in Nov of 2017 and just opened it May 2018. When I registered it, it stated I should update the maps. I tried and it failed due to insufficient space. I tried to use it and I keep getting the message address search not available. I contacted support and they told me to use a micro sd card. I purchased the micro sd card and continued to get the same error. They then said to delete the existing map and do it again, which I did and still received the same message. They never responded when I informed them that that didn't work either. I now own a brand new GPS that is worthless.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I've had several Magellan GPS's. A major problem is that when a newer device is offered for sale, the company immediately drops all support for anything older. No drivers, no software --- just try to find a manual for a SporTrak on the Magellan site. If you call support with an issue, the response is to buy the newer unit. Once a GPS device is no longer offered for sale, it's like it never existed if you visit the Magellan site, or call support. If you do get support, it's about money --- everything costs. Magellan wants money for what other GPS makers offer for free.

If you go with Magellan, figure that the lifetime of your device will not be based on how long it works; but how long it takes for a newer model to supersede it. When that happens, you at least will not have to buy a paperweight. And, during the time your unit is in operation, pray you do not have technical issues with it and need to call customer support.

Original review: April 21, 2018

The Magellan RoadMate 5330T-LM was a 3 year anniversary work gift for my wife. She received it Last January. Worked kind of OK until around November/December, but kept forgetting to notify Magellan. The touchscreen was out of sync. Contacted Magellan in February of 2018 with all of the product info and that it was a gift and the date it was registered was the date it was received. All I wanted to know was how to calibrate the screen-- had the same problem with a Garmin GPS and they have a way to recalibrate. Have emailed back and forth with Magellan February through March and now they won't reply to me. All I want to know is how to recalibrate, or how much it will cost to send it to them to fix/replace. And now the unit will not turn on.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased the Roadmate RV9490T-LMB a week before going on our trip. We never got it to work, when we came back a couple of month later I left the Unit in the motorhome and forgot about till we were going on our trip this year. I had major problems with the map update, it would not register on any of my computers. I contacted the support team, which totally gave me the runaround. Any phone numbers they gave me advised to contact then per e-mail, which I have over 20 e-mails with no result. Then in this last March 2018 they advised me to return the unit which I did and they had received the unit in 2 days.

A week later they advised that they had received the unit and that they had filled the order to replace it. Next e-mail I received was that they cancelled the order and replace with another one. This was in March 2 2018. As of today April 18 2018 I have not received anything, and they are not returning any answers on my e-mail here. I paid 384.95 and have nothing. When I ordered the unit from Magellan they automatically transferred me factory Outlet Store for the purchase.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst company for customer service. I did the map update last weekend and it didn’t work. Now the maps aren’t there and it is a useless ornament on an ambulance dashboard. I have emailed Magellan several times. The only response I received was a request for more information. I replied to the email with a follow up on their website. This was Monday. To date I have not had any reply. I cannot find a customer support phone number that works. This is a useless company who will never get another dime of my money. Definitely buyer beware.

Original review: April 11, 2018

How to get your old Magellan GPS to be recognized by SmartGPS Eco website By Walt ** (Magellan ought to give me a few new GPS for figuring this out for all their customers). I own a Roadmate RV9365T-LMB and a Roadmate 2230T-LM. I bought them new and have been ticked off for at least 4 years now that they wouldn’t update. This is ever since they started using the SmartGPS Eco website. Well, after screwing around for several days and many hours, here is what I came up with and it worked to update both my Roadmates. Now I am just ticked at the company that since 2012 they have determined there is no need to update the RM 2230T-LM map only the software.

Steps to a successful install (using Windows 10 but probably works otherwise as well). 1. Download mgnContentManager.msi from the SmartGPS Eco website. 2. Close Browsers. 3. Run mgnContentManager.msi to install. 4. When it asks what directory to place it in, you can default, but I don’t advise it. Make it simple. Tell it to save to C:\Magellan. Let it install download. 5. Once completed, open the C:\Magellan (or other) directory. 6. Find mgnContentManager.exe file. 7. Double Click on the file. 8. Check Task Manager to see that mgnContentManager is running. (Under Processes shows up as SmartGPS Eco (32 bit). 9. Plug in your Magellan to a USB port. 10. Open your browser (I used Firefox) and voila! Within a minute it recognized my drive and showed what installs to run.

On my two Magellans downloads were successful (although I did have to add a microSD Card to the RV one). I wasn’t sure what size to buy, because some hardware is really picky about what size GB you can use. I chose a SanDisk 16 Gb because I assumed that 16 Gb was a common size in 2012 when the machine was new and SanDisk was not an off brand. The SmartGPS Eco website still says that my GPS devices are not compatible with places and store tabs, but as long as I can use the download updates tab, I DON’T CARE!

Original review: April 11, 2018

As with other Magellan users, they changed their Map Update program to SmartGPS Eco from Content Manager. It no longer recognizes the RoadMate-5045-LTM and I suspect other legacy products. Calling the help center directed me to an India site that tells you your drivers are defective and for a price of $80 for a three year contract, they will correct the drivers and set up a new universal GPS map download program that works. Of course, the USB driver is working just fine and SmartGPS Eco program sees the GPS but just doesn't recognize it.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I called Magellan support. They connected me to a gate. They said they needed to fix my drivers in my laptop for a certain price. I needed to fix them so they could download the map updates then they said they needed another certain amount of money to send me the CD so I can put it in my laptop and download it into my RoadMate 1700. It's been a month now haven't received no CD. I live in Louisville Kentucky. Magellan is in California. It don't take a month to receive a CD. I told him I was very unhappy and I who wanted a refund they said it would be a couple of days. Well we'll see. I bet it don't happen so don't let them scam you too.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Magellan Roadmate N509M-5000 - Garbage device. Right out of the box it does work but will say turn left, go 9k, pull a u-turn, go back to exactly where you were, and turn left heading north back in the direction I was already going on the exact same street. Updates... never worked. I am an IT specialist and this stupid thing won't stay connected to any of my main machine's ports (USB 3 or 2) using different cables. Tried other computers. Same thing. Keeps connecting and disconnecting. My digital camcorder stays connected using the same cable, same ports, for 6+ hours to transfer 128GB of data yet this thing can't even stay connected to update a map.

The interface is garbage compared to my Tom Tom. I can't stand this GPS unit. It is the worst of the worst. I also bought a Magellan Car Recorder (2 of them)... they are barely adequate. I will NEVER buy another Magellan product ever again. They are GARBAGE!!! In comparison... I have a Shoppers Drug Mart cheap Tom Tom that I have used in my cab for 5 years now. Updates no problem. Works perfectly and has a wonderful interface. My only gripe is the screen size but that's my fault for buying a small screen size. STAY AWAY from Magellan!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Bought the Trx7 GPS 2 weeks ago. First day of setting it up had some problems with it wanting to connect to GPS and called them. They answered and talked me through it and everything worked fine. I was trying to download Spotify to my unit with no luck and messaged them about the problem. It's been a week and no answer to the email. In the meantime I have called 5 days straight and no answer and no callback. I don't understand how it is so hard to just answer a simple question. I will never purchase anything from Magellan again. That's for sure.

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs