Magellan GPS

Magellan GPS
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.16/5

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Magellan GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan GPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

To upgrade maps on a Magellan Roadmate GPS, the website magellangps.com is used. A plugin called mgncontentmanager.msi by MiTac Digital Corp is supposed to be used. The plugin did not work on any of my computers. I tried to get help at magellangps.com in a chat but they kept insisting on a telephone number which I did not want to give. I could not get help otherwise. Therefore, I had a product and service from magellangps.com that was totally unsatisfactory.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I received the unit as a gift. I followed the instructions to update the software before use. I hooked it to my computer and started the update. It failed due to "no more room". After this, none of my computers (Win 10/Win 8/Win Vista) would recognize the unit. I contacted customer support. They sent one response to:

1. Soft reset the unit – Press and hold the power button for a few seconds to turn the device off. Then, press and hold the power button again to turn the device on.
    2. Hard reset the unit – Poke the reset hole located at the back of the device, on the lower right corner.
    Please note: Once you poke the reset hole, the device will restart with the factory defaults loaded.

3. Re-initiate the update – You may refer to the link below for the instructions on how to properly install an update via SmartGPS Eco website:

In my initial contact to them, I told them I had tried both hard and soft resets. I was hospitalized in the middle of this and after returning home and trying to resume getting this process, I have been told that the unit is out of warranty and that I need to buy a new one. I can assure you, with this level of customer service and care for those who have their devices, I will NEVER purchase Magellan products, nor will I use them..paper maps give better service!

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I just experienced scam from this company's web. Because I have an old 1700 Magellan GPS and I would like to update online. It was on a long weekend in US. Someone made a app to get my phone from Magellan's web. This company do not have phone number to contact to and give someone an opportunity to scam royalty Magellan's customers. Here is the phone number from scam:8006239204, **. I cannot to get hold with magellan, and just want every aware when you are try to update your GPS from Magellan.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Do not buy a gps from this company! The first Smart Gps I purchased broke within 6 months so I was able to get Refurbished one. Now 4 years later with a promise of lifetime maps my gps stopped getting a signal! Tried to call the company but they would not take my call as they told me the unit was old and would only do email support! I was told to buy an SD card and a long list of instructions on how to format and download on a computer the updates. I don’t have a computer and was told to go use a friend’s computer! Yea okay that’s a solution! Then when I got the SD card that I had to purchase it was the wrong one! They didn’t tell me I needed a micro SD card (I know nothing about this kind of stuff). So I had to waste more money once again! Finally did all the instructions just for it not to work.

Customer service told me there was nothing they could do since the warranty was up. I asked, “Could you send a replacement for a discount or perhaps a coupon towards a new unit?” But I got an email saying that it wasn’t company guidelines and that I would get her in trouble for trying to ask such a thing! So I wasted money on a non fixable unit that was promised to me that this would be the solution and they won’t even help out a long term customer. So much for the lifetime maps. I won’t ever buy from this company again!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Purchased this item new, in unopened box. Included documentation very superficial. On-line manual did not contain charging information, instructed to connect to website. Attempt to accomplish this unsuccessful, was repetitively instructed to download program, but this repetitively failed. Website did not provide direct phone # for support, but found from another source on line. First discussion with service tech told me his supervisor would call me back in 10 minutes, didn't call back at all. Reached service tech again, was told device incompatible with Mac, even though box states is compatible with Mac OS > 10. Tech recommended finding someone with a PC in order to register and update the device. For Mac users, look somewhere else for GPS.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Hi There, I have bought two GPS from this company. Within a short period both of them busted with blank screen. Also the cable, the pin dropped out for no reason. The GPS were pretty expensive, around 150$ each. None of the warranty have been honored, very frustrating. Not only that, the 'life long map updates' Printed in bold letters on both GPS, really is just fraudulent advertising. When the GPS worked (which was just a short period), I couldn't get the updates to work. Very frustrating. I recommend people buy from other companies which have are more ethical.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Magellan GPS: Friends, do not purchase a gps from magellan if you are in the market for one. I went to update mine, as I had "free lifetime map updates" when I first bought it. It wouldn't work. Apparently, if your computer software is too recent, it won't work with it. As a matter of fact, their customer "service" person sucked, and I was actually asked: "Can't you take it to a friend's house to do it?" yeah. Load magellan stuff onto your friends computer (as long as he hasn't updated his software recently I guess), and for me that's an hour and thirty minute trip, each way, to my closest friend's house.

That's how they scam you I guess. Promise free lifetime updates, but not if your computer is running the latest update, or magellan doesn't work with it. What a ridiculous rip-off. So, if you buy magellan, you are not allowed to update the latest software release, or it's useless. Nice. Way to go, magellan. Thanks for making your customers (ex-customer now, and hopefully you guys avoid them like the plague also) have to do a boatload of running around and using other people's older computers in order for your gps to be current. Hopefully I save you guys the hassle if you need a gps soon, as these guys will leave you old and out-dated and want you to jump through hoops for them.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

1. Magellan offers "Lifetime Maps". But, their interpretation is the lifetime of their units is only 3 years. After 3 years, no new maps for that model. Something they don't tell you until you complain. FRAUD? 2. Earlier "Content Manager" allowed me to get maps and "Sync" multiple units' address data so each address was only entered once for all units and one could sync remaining units. They dropped Content Mgr and then went to "SmartGPS.eco" to get new maps. SmartGPS.eco is very cumbersome compared to Content Mgr, AND, does now offer address sync support. I was told I could enter individual address into each unit by hand. What a ripoff!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MAGELLAN!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

2018 Magellan GPS, tried to update right away the maps last year. "Map is the last available version." Today I tried again and got the same message. Called in and was asked to pay 199.99 USD. Seriously? I was told that my computer and newer GPS unit are infected with a virus... (I never run a PC without the newest antivirus updates!!!). So I was told from Magellan support to pay 199.99 USD to clean my computer and to get my new GPS map! I refused and was told that the Canadian government would not allow anymore free map updates since 1st of July 2019. I seriously asked if the senior support agent worked for Magellan and he said, "yes." 1 year maps 199.99 USD/2 years map update and service ONLY 245 USD for a Magellan Roadmate 5620-LM with FREE lifetime map updates I bought last year at Canadian Tire Spruce Grove, Alberta. That is fraud!

Original review: July 13, 2019

Bought a TRX for Christmas, had difficulties initially because it was not user friendly. Decided to keep it and work through the issue and learn the product...What a mistake! After about 3 months it works about 10% of the time. “Unfortunately the TRX has stopped” keeps coming up with no map display. After a 1/2 hour or so, SOMETIMES it will start working for about 30 mins and then it stops working again. A waste of money, a waste of time and pure disappointment in the product.

Magellan author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team