Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Magellan GPS
3.32/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

180 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

Bought unit for the Lifetime Map updates. This is not true, it is only 3 years. First time I got to update maps, process did not work. Emailed Magellan support, followed their instructions: delete Map folder, back up, format. Still has insufficient space issue, now I have no map folder, so I have no GPS. Magellan solution, buy a new unit. Never again!

Original review: June 3, 2019

Software update crashed the hard drive on my current 5045-LM GPS. MANY attempted fixes, later it was deemed UN-repairable by their tech support. Convinced me to buy a new one 5520-LM. So I did, got it, opened the box and tried to set it up. It will NOT recognize my time zone. I live in Ontario Canada and for the time zone to be correct I need to manually choose Singapore...?

14 emails later and countless hours of back and fourths they simply stopped communicating with me and now I am stuck with 2 of their GPS units that are broken and UN-usable. One is 100% damaged beyond all repair due to one of their very own software updates and another arrive broken. Their suggestion, re-install new software and maps on the NEW GPS device. Why, the unit is brand new out of the box. I am so disgusted and I will not stop until I get some answers. I have left numerous messages on their corporate HR and Marketing voicemails and no one has had the common courtesy to even return my calls. I have NEVER in my 48 years ever experience such disrespect and total lack of service from any company.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We paid $400 for a Magellan GPS. It did not charge from day one. We called multiple time to get help to no avail. They do not stand by their product. They did not offer to repair or replace it. This is what they say "We suggest purchasing a brand new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. This way, you’ll have a working device at your earliest convenience." HA HA. What a joke! Why on earth would I even consider purchasing another Magellan when the 1st one didn't work. Anyway, I recommend you doing full research and reviewing GARMIN or Rand McNally options. We have used both and they worked far better. Good luck in your hunt for a good, reliable GPS.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased this GPS because it advertised a lifetime map upgrade. In trying to upgrade it I found that no upgraded maps were offered for this model. Practically impossible to find a number to call so I emailed a customer service agent. She asked me to provide proof that lifetime maps were offered on this model. Thankfully I kept the box which advertised the lifetime upgrades so I was able to email a picture. That's the last I heard from customer service or anyone else from Magellan. I attempted to email several times with no responses to emails. After reading several reviews it seems I am not the only one experiencing this lack of service. Seems this is a common practice with this company. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Magellan.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Magellan's support website states that "Lifetime" Map Updates are only guaranteed for three years from date of purchase. Contacted support and got this response: “Please note that your unit has the latest map version 61 installed. Due to that, there will be no longer map update available for your unit. This is due to the technological advances in mapping data over that past few years. The size of the mapping data is too great to be handled by the older hardware. We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below: https://www.magellangps.com/store/.”

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received this unit for Christmas. It worked well for a while then for some reason the time switched to PM and the clock showed an incorrect time. I have tried everything I know to change it. I even called the 800 support number to be told they no longer support the phone number. If you are going to purchase a GPS after market unit I suggest you stay away from this model.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Magellan sold 10s of 1000s of units with the lifetime map upgrades. They are trying not to honor the deal saying the memory is too small for current maps. They make the size of the files which hold updated maps. This is a way for them to try and not honor lifetime map agreements. If they are treating others this way - this deserves a class action suit to filed against Magellan GPS.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

The navigation choices just to set up initial product are ridiculous. This was purchased for a family member needing simplicity in getting to destinations without a hassle. Instead of convincing them to use cell phone, I bought this. I pre programmed, so I thought, the destination, any stops, and return directions. I set the home address and pointed out the one touch option.

The product I bought for simplicity was a nightmare for my family. I attempted to redeem myself by going to the website and making sure I had done everything to make the product most efficient. Long story short, I found myself here after wasting 2 hours researching a terrible product with a terrible website. Lesson Learned. Do not buy this crap!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I own two Magellan GPS. One is model # 5230T-LM. Worked great until one day it just didn't. Tried everything to restart it and nothing helped. Contacted SUPPORT and was sent an impossible to follow link to restart it. I even asked computer savvy people to try for me. Could not be done. Still waiting for that help to come through.

My older model # 1440 GPS I've been using while unable to use the newer one, is now unusable since I tried to update MAPS. It is completely blank due to the failed download. Got different pop up messages telling me there wasn't enough storage for the download, though there is. Spent many hours trying to update to no avail. Finally on my son's Apple computer he was able to download the map and still got no updated map because the site said the GPS wasn't connected to the computer, though it was and the unit showed it being connected. Same thing on his tablet. I reported problems with their site many times over the years and have yet to see anything fixed. The support with MAGELLAN is lacking and no excuse for two purchased units to be not working.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Have to agree with previous posts about backup and support. I too tried to update my maps on my RV9365T. Really important for me to have a current updated set of maps because I tow a car behind my RV and cannot back up if I go wrong somewhere. Bought this unit a little over a year ago and planning for some long distance trips starting in February. Like others I found out that because my IMAC is up to date with the latest O/S, Magellan doesn't support it, so there is no way you can run the content manager anymore.

As far as I can establish the only way I can get this to work is for me to revert to an earlier O/S because you can't just re-install an old browser in isolation without a whole lot of aggravation. So not worth it for me. I'm figuring I'm going to have to write this off as a bad buy and go elsewhere. I certainly would not recommend Magellan anymore, because if they just don't have the IT horsepower to keep up with frequent updates in PC operating systems/browsers then you should steer clear of them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

By far the worst ever experience with their "support". No phone number, updates don't work. Plus I just learned that I bought into their scam of a 'lifetime' subscription. Now they changed it to 3 years!!! Maybe that is how long this scam venture should survive. Never Magellan products again...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been attempting to update the maps on my Magellan GPS since Sept 2018. I've received about 10 emails from their "customer support" instructing me to go to various sites & follow various procedures in order to accomplish an update. All attempts lead to zero update & they finally advised that their "lifetime updates" were only 3 years! Their last email said that I had passed a 14 day limit on my issue number & need to open a new number for my issue. Now they have apparently blocked me from sending their "customer service" any more emails which effectively blocks me from corresponding with "support".

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This is the third Magellan GPS that I have owned over the years. I have been trying to update the software & maps. I use a Mac and the update software from Magellan depends on older versions of software no longer available for my computer. Over the past few years, tech support (especially if you're a Mac user) has ALWAYS been the very last place that this company spends any time and/or resources. When my device worked it never sent me astray. I loved it! Now that I'm trying to do updates to the unit, it depends on an older Safari web browser version, which you can't even install on the computer anymore. "Map updates forever" doesn't mean a darned thing if they can't give you the software to install the updates.

This has made my little unit absolutely worthless. This company's tech support has always been pathetic but it's now slipped into the sub-pathetic category. If you're looking for a stand-alone GPS and you're using a Mac, I would NEVER, EVER recommend this company. I hereby certify that I will no longer have any kind of a relationship with this company. EVER!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Avoid this company at all costs. Map updates require a third party site, a specific browser, and still do not function. Magellan has no contact phone number and the reason why is obvious. Stick with Garmin or you will most likely regret your purchase, I sure did.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Over the course of 6 months, I have owned 3 different models of Magellan GPS, the last being the dual dashcam and GPS model. All have screen issues. After a one or two, the screen dies. I wish I can give 0 stars. It's really terrible. All 3 GPS, different models have screen issues. Really disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I purchased a RM 5295T Smart GPS in October 2017. The first trip I used it, it missed the address by over 2 miles. So on the way home I put in my address and it missed by 4 blocks. I e-mailed Magellan and the tech said to reset it by pushing the button on the back. There is no reset button on this model. They then told me to try a few other things which did not work. Also none of the 8 squares (weather, Yelp, etc) worked either. They told me to try different things which did not work. I suggested that maybe the unit could be bad. They said they understood my frustration and that they would pass this on to "the highest management" for review.

Needless to say that they quit answering my e-mails and wouldn't answer the phone. I felt like they blocked my numbers. It has been over 8 months since I last heard from them. So last week I turned it on because I like the Bluetooth feature for my cell phone. The Magellan logo came on right away. The map came up 32 miles later and in night mode. About 5 minutes later the day mode came on. When I got home I printed all my correspondence and put that and the unit in an envelope and sent it "the highest management" at Magellan. After reading all the reviews I don't expect to hear anything let alone getting my unit back. Might be for the best-less frustration. And I agree - quit buying their products!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased a new Roadmate for a major road trip this past summer. Throughout the trip, the Roadmate had difficulty getting signals, and when it did, its directions were completely unreliable. In one notable case, we were traveling from Madison, Wisconsin to St Paul, Minnesota. The Magellan gave us directions to travel to Milwaukee, Wisconsin - completely in the opposite direction. When it WAS working, the machine was so sensitive to touch that the least touch would result in a switch to the screen, rendering it impossible to use for navigation while driving.

When I tried to complain, I went online and received a set of instructions which didn't work. When I asked for further assistance, all correspondence ended. I waited 12 days, and emailed them again. No response. I waited another 10 days, and emailed them again. This is now a further 11 days out, and still no response - all told my questions have gone ignored for over a month. And don't try phoning them - they don't have a phone number! Even their shipping agents don't have a phone number for the company. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have used my RoadMate GPS for a few years but have had problems with having just a blue screen on many occasions. Recently the casing was forced open by an expanding battery (big). I have contacted Magellan especially as it's a safety concern. They wanted photos which I sent but have had no response for over two weeks. Updating maps it a non event. Just bought a Garmin GPS and it's so good compared to the Magellan.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I easily use the navigation system on my phone with no problem at all. The Magellan in my Subaru Forester usually won't even load. If it does it usually says it can't locate the address I put in. If it does, it gives obviously wrong directions. It is completely useless. I am really disappointed in this product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I attempted to update maps as many others have and a third party chat support attempted to assist with the process. Their assistance managed to wipe everything from my unit and was unable to restore it. I sent an email to Magellan support advising what had happened. They informed me that Magellan is not affiliated with any third party support and don't do phone or chat support. All support is done through email because email support helps them keep detailed records about all issues in one place and ensures their ability to retain the chain of events as it occurs as well as our communications with their support team. Unfortunately they don't take the time to go through that chain of events.

I received the same instructions 4 times from 2 different techs. None of which worked by the way. Then when they found out it was out of warranty they were done helping all together. I was told "as much as we would like to help you further, we cannot proceed with service repairs since your device is beyond the one-year warranty period." And then went on to recommend that I purchase a new Magellan device. That will never happen and I won't recommend their products to anyone. I did however give them a piece of my mind via email so that they can retain it in their events as they occurred.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Recently I experience the same problem other customers are going through with Magellan GPS unit. I turn on my unit and it read: Unfortunately, SmartGPS Combo has stopped. After several attempts trying to get it to load I called Magellan Technical Support and was surprise that they no longer offer Tech Support :(. I feel that the company should have sent out a e-mail notice to all of existing customers and gave us heads-up warning about their product or their issues they're having within their company! Now, I have spent my hard earn $$ money on another gadget that is no longer useful (junk). I feel that Magellan should offer a refund or replacement of all units that no longer works! I am a registered user and I'm sure they have my e-mail address. I hope all readers who reads this band together. I was always told: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. :)

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I must confess that I am not technically adept but I was able to easily use my previous GPS. I was unable to get the Roadmate to locate an address - it located gas stations, restaurants, etc. but not an address. For a senior the keypad was so small that I was frequently hitting the wrong key - no way I could keep it in the dash holder and type - had to take it down. Downloaded online manual and it was of little to no use to me - bottom line is I cannot use the unit and as they cannot be returned I gave it away.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The advertising sounds good with "Lifetime Map updates". Read the terms, a Magellan lifetime is 3 years. Goes by quickly and then you have a device with inaccurate maps. From what I can see on the website I cannot purchase new updates. Planned obsolescence.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAGELLAN GPS devices!!! their customer service is non-existent. My Magellan GPS was acting up a little, but not to bad, so I downloaded the “Recovery Tool” for my device, followed the instructions exactly, which wiped and reset my device. However, when it was done “recovering”, there were no maps loaded (none at all). Other than that the unit was working great. I connected it to my PC and went to the spartgpseco.com site using the Chrome browser. Logged in, the site recognized my unit, applied a newer firmware update. But when all was done and over, my device still had zero maps loaded.

With no map updates showing on the smartgpseco.com site for my device I was stuck with a GPS that was ready to function, but had no maps to use to do anything. I might as well had a rock for a GPS. I searched for a way to contact support. After a lot of digging I finally found an email address, so opened a ticket on a Sunday mentioning to them that I needed to Travel the following Saturday.

On Tuesday I received a generic email with instructions on how to connect the device to a PC and go to the smartgpseco.com site and do the same steps I had already done. That same day (Tuesday) I tried it again just to be able to say I followed their instructions, then emailed them saying I still had no maps loaded. I did not get any further reply. So on Thursday I messaged support again and asked them to escalate the ticket, since I had to travel in 2 days.

On Friday night, still no follow up from Magellan support. From what I have read from others and from the experience I have had, my guess is that Magellan does not care about their customers beyond the initial sale of the device. I travel tomorrow and will need to buy a new GPS with money I do not have. Needless to say I will not be buying a Magellan ever again and will be telling as many people that will listen of my experience and telling them to not buy a Magellan either. Way to go Magellan, Way to be short sighted and look only for the short sale instead of trying to retain and build lifetime customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Keeps getting lost. Will not recalculate. Wants to route you somewhere else. Complete wrong direction. Then when you get close to your destination - it starts giving correct directions. ME - I'm going to throw it away and purchase a TomTom. Have had 2 of them before and they always worked fine.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered an Magellan Roadmate GPS, model #5375T-LMB, to replace the 8 year old Magellan 2145T GPS I already own but could not update. I did have years of great service from that GPS, but figured it was time to upgrade. Yesterday, 10/1/18 I received my new #5375T GPS. To my surprise, not only are every link supplied for customer support no longer active, I am encountering the exact same problem with linking my computer to the new GPS as I was with my old GPS. I have spent hours trying to just register it, with no luck at all. I even tried a different computer. The SmartGPS ECO program will not load, nor will the Magellan web site even notice the GPS is plugged into my computer. It has me running in a continuous loop.

I called Tech Support twice yesterday and waited on hold for around 45 minutes before I finally became disgusted and hung up. This morning I tried them again, multiple times over the course of two hours (Pacific Time), and kept receiving an answering machine in a language I don't understand. I finally called the company where I ordered the GPS from and talked to one of their Customer Service Reps. He told me the model GPS I ordered is too old to be updated!! This was NOT in the description when I ordered it or I never would have bought it. Besides, it has "Free Lifetime Maps", so why won't the software connect?

Long story short, I can return it for a refund, minus a 15% restocking fee plus I pay return shipping. This is false advertising at the very least, or blatant lies by the company. I have since contacted my credit card company and disputed the sale. Hopefully this will help me get a full refund. I won't ever buy another Magellan product. I hope this helps someone...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Company is trash, the site, the login, the phone numbers, the free updates, contact information is all bogus, there is no way to contact them, either to complain or praise. They do not want contact. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I bought a Magellen RoadMate 3065 LT from Canadian Tire in 2014. I bought it because This unit had Lifetime map upgrade, however Magellan says Lifetime updates mean 3 years. After 3 years of use, the unit is now considered obsolete and not eligible for any map updates. I feel lifetime map updates should be longer than just 3 years! I feel as though I was lied too. They should have advertises 3 years map updates, not lifetime updates.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I tried for 45 minutes to get through to Magellan to purchase a part for the mount for a Roadmate RM2622-LM. There is no parts list available. The warehouse sales page shows the specific GPS, but the mounting accessory shown is obviously the wrong one. When I tried to reach customer service, putting in my email and password several times, it would log me in, and I could update my information. The process to register the new GPS failed because the program download had an error. When I tried several times to get a service request to ask for help to get the part, I kept getting ‘Server Error’ messages. Magellan GPS does not do service!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had two Magellan Roadmates that were 1 yr old and the batteries swelled up 1" and split the units so they didn't work. At that time Magellan had an online chat option so they said send them in by courier and they would replace them ($50 for shipping). That was Jan. 2018. 9 months later and still nothing and there is no way to contact the company. I tried sending emails to the email address they originally provided me but the responses stopped in Feb 2018. STAY AWAY from any of Magellan products! I tell everyone I can to NOT buy any Magellan products.

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs