Magellan GPS
1.09/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

Last updated: April 21, 2018

136 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 21, 2018

The Magellan RoadMate 5330T-LM was a 3 year anniversary work gift for my wife. She received it Last January. Worked kind of OK until around November/December, but kept forgetting to notify Magellan. The touchscreen was out of sync. Contacted Magellan in February of 2018 with all of the product info and that it was a gift and the date it was registered was the date it was received. All I wanted to know was how to calibrate the screen-- had the same problem with a Garmin GPS and they have a way to recalibrate. Have emailed back and forth with Magellan February through March and now they won't reply to me. All I want to know is how to recalibrate, or how much it will cost to send it to them to fix/replace. And now the unit will not turn on.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased the Roadmate RV9490T-LMB a week before going on our trip. We never got it to work, when we came back a couple of month later I left the Unit in the motorhome and forgot about till we were going on our trip this year. I had major problems with the map update, it would not register on any of my computers. I contacted the support team, which totally gave me the runaround. Any phone numbers they gave me advised to contact then per e-mail, which I have over 20 e-mails with no result. Then in this last March 2018 they advised me to return the unit which I did and they had received the unit in 2 days.

A week later they advised that they had received the unit and that they had filled the order to replace it. Next e-mail I received was that they cancelled the order and replace with another one. This was in March 2 2018. As of today April 18 2018 I have not received anything, and they are not returning any answers on my e-mail here. I paid 384.95 and have nothing. When I ordered the unit from Magellan they automatically transferred me factory Outlet Store for the purchase.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst company for customer service. I did the map update last weekend and it didn’t work. Now the maps aren’t there and it is a useless ornament on an ambulance dashboard. I have emailed Magellan several times. The only response I received was a request for more information. I replied to the email with a follow up on their website. This was Monday. To date I have not had any reply. I cannot find a customer support phone number that works. This is a useless company who will never get another dime of my money. Definitely buyer beware.

Original review: April 11, 2018

How to get your old Magellan GPS to be recognized by SmartGPS Eco website By Walt ** (Magellan ought to give me a few new GPS for figuring this out for all their customers). I own a Roadmate RV9365T-LMB and a Roadmate 2230T-LM. I bought them new and have been ticked off for at least 4 years now that they wouldn’t update. This is ever since they started using the SmartGPS Eco website. Well, after screwing around for several days and many hours, here is what I came up with and it worked to update both my Roadmates. Now I am just ticked at the company that since 2012 they have determined there is no need to update the RM 2230T-LM map only the software.

Steps to a successful install (using Windows 10 but probably works otherwise as well). 1. Download mgnContentManager.msi from the SmartGPS Eco website. 2. Close Browsers. 3. Run mgnContentManager.msi to install. 4. When it asks what directory to place it in, you can default, but I don’t advise it. Make it simple. Tell it to save to C:\Magellan. Let it install download. 5. Once completed, open the C:\Magellan (or other) directory. 6. Find mgnContentManager.exe file. 7. Double Click on the file. 8. Check Task Manager to see that mgnContentManager is running. (Under Processes shows up as SmartGPS Eco (32 bit). 9. Plug in your Magellan to a USB port. 10. Open your browser (I used Firefox) and voila! Within a minute it recognized my drive and showed what installs to run.

On my two Magellans downloads were successful (although I did have to add a microSD Card to the RV one). I wasn’t sure what size to buy, because some hardware is really picky about what size GB you can use. I chose a SanDisk 16 Gb because I assumed that 16 Gb was a common size in 2012 when the machine was new and SanDisk was not an off brand. The SmartGPS Eco website still says that my GPS devices are not compatible with places and store tabs, but as long as I can use the download updates tab, I DON’T CARE!

Original review: April 11, 2018

As with other Magellan users, they changed their Map Update program to SmartGPS Eco from Content Manager. It no longer recognizes the RoadMate-5045-LTM and I suspect other legacy products. Calling the help center directed me to an India site that tells you your drivers are defective and for a price of $80 for a three year contract, they will correct the drivers and set up a new universal GPS map download program that works. Of course, the USB driver is working just fine and SmartGPS Eco program sees the GPS but just doesn't recognize it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I called Magellan support. They connected me to a gate. They said they needed to fix my drivers in my laptop for a certain price. I needed to fix them so they could download the map updates then they said they needed another certain amount of money to send me the CD so I can put it in my laptop and download it into my RoadMate 1700. It's been a month now haven't received no CD. I live in Louisville Kentucky. Magellan is in California. It don't take a month to receive a CD. I told him I was very unhappy and I who wanted a refund they said it would be a couple of days. Well we'll see. I bet it don't happen so don't let them scam you too.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Magellan Roadmate N509M-5000 - Garbage device. Right out of the box it does work but will say turn left, go 9k, pull a u-turn, go back to exactly where you were, and turn left heading north back in the direction I was already going on the exact same street. Updates... never worked. I am an IT specialist and this stupid thing won't stay connected to any of my main machine's ports (USB 3 or 2) using different cables. Tried other computers. Same thing. Keeps connecting and disconnecting. My digital camcorder stays connected using the same cable, same ports, for 6+ hours to transfer 128GB of data yet this thing can't even stay connected to update a map.

The interface is garbage compared to my Tom Tom. I can't stand this GPS unit. It is the worst of the worst. I also bought a Magellan Car Recorder (2 of them)... they are barely adequate. I will NEVER buy another Magellan product ever again. They are GARBAGE!!! In comparison... I have a Shoppers Drug Mart cheap Tom Tom that I have used in my cab for 5 years now. Updates no problem. Works perfectly and has a wonderful interface. My only gripe is the screen size but that's my fault for buying a small screen size. STAY AWAY from Magellan!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Bought the Trx7 GPS 2 weeks ago. First day of setting it up had some problems with it wanting to connect to GPS and called them. They answered and talked me through it and everything worked fine. I was trying to download Spotify to my unit with no luck and messaged them about the problem. It's been a week and no answer to the email. In the meantime I have called 5 days straight and no answer and no callback. I don't understand how it is so hard to just answer a simple question. I will never purchase anything from Magellan again. That's for sure.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I bought the Magellan RoadMate 7771T-LMB and tried to complete the setup by registering the unit as stated in the documentation and got an error stating “Unknown error try again later”. I did this for 3 days with no luck. It also showed there were map updates available but couldn’t do the update because it was not registered. At this point I tried to call support as stated in the manual and the support call recording stated go to their website and email them for support then hung up on me.

I tried to call again and got the same thing. Guess they do not want to talk to their customers. I email them as stated and got a reply the next day stating there were others with the same issue and was sending the issue to headquarters. Well 2 weeks later got no reply back. So I returned the Magellan to the store and bought a Garmin GPS. This is the WORST support/customer service I have ever received for any product and I thought Microsoft was bad but Magellan takes the cake… Please do not but any Magellan product as if you have issues you are on your own.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Late October 2017 I ordered a RoadMate 6615. It was delivered timely but was also defective upon receipt 11/2. I was told to return it and supply proof of shipment and I would receive a new unit and be reimbursed for the return shipping charges. After 2 weeks with receiving no replacement unit, they claimed they had never received the defective unit. Twice I had to send them the proof of delivery receipt from FedEx that it was delivered to them 11/7. I finally received a new unit after another week but no shipping fee reimbursement. It is now March 2018 and after no fewer than a dozen attempts through calls and emails I still have not been reimbursed for the shipping charges. Not a huge amount but a matter of principle. I will never buy another Magellan unit. These people constantly give you the runaround and don't honor their warranties. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I recently attempted to upgrade two of my devices using SmartGPS Eco (like many others on here), after the usual email chase I got nowhere with Magellan other than circles. I tried every browser and platform except Opera and as a last resort it worked and allowed me to upgrade the units. The other issue I had was while the units stated lifetime maps even though they were registered I could not get the maps so after several emails (again) I managed to get them to change the information (the units were bought from CTC). If you are having trouble entering the SmartGPS portal (the wheel keeps turning on the log in page) give Opera a try. It work for me. As for Magellan it looks like they are no longer interested in the auto segment and just leaving loyal customers in the dust. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I'm not going to repeat what I have read current reviews listed. It would be a waste of time. I agree with all of them rated 1 star or less. This company does not belong in business. No possible way to get a map update - immediate response telling you to try again in 48 hours which is worthless, nothing changes. No C.S. phone number, they hide behind a computer generated email message. I ask myself "what is happening to customer service today" but Magellan is leading the way to piss poor customer service. I'll check out TomTom, but any company that does not supply a C.S. phone number will not see my money.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have owned a Magellan Roadmate for several years now. No complaints about the unit - it is a good unit, it is very accurate, and it works very well. My complaint concerns the method used to access the lifetime free map updates. Formerly, I used the Magellan Content Manager, which worked great. I never had any problems updating the unit software or the maps. Magellan now has switched the updates to a website called SmartGPS Eco. I have found this new website to be absolutely worthless so far. I have had no success in logging on to the site using two of the recommended browsers - Firefox and Chrome. My contacts with customer support have also been useless. I reported the issue on Jan 14 via email. I received a reply on Jan 15 indicating that they are aware of the issue and that I should wait 24-48 hours and try again.

I waited until Jan 18 (72 hours) and tried again. Still no success. I then contacted customer support via Chat. I was told that the website is under maintenance, but they (the Support Team) had not been given any information on when the maintenance would be completed. I continued to wait another 7 days until Jan 25 and I tried again to log on. Once again, no success. I sent another inquiry via email asking when this "maintenance" would be complete and I would be able to log on to the site. I have not yet received a reply to my latest contact. Lifetime map updates aren't worth anything if you cannot access them!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have really enjoyed the GPS, it has worked well over the last year but... I have been trying to update the maps for over a month now. Cannot log into the SmartGPS eco and they supposedly can’t just put the update on their site... I have been told my computer is the problem, their server is down (which they really like to say and that my GPS is defective, It is too bad that such a quality product has such terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

New Xmas present - we getting ready for a trip and I open the GPS for 1st use. 1st thing - you have to boot it up to register etc... There is no power. Before 1st thing, you have to charge up the device. The only connection that comes with the GPS is a car cigarette lighter connection that just doesn't fit in the computer or any USB connection. I contact Magellan customer support - no, no USB cable is included, you can charge up the device in your car and then return home to register the device via wifi in order to use the device. Stupid stupid stupid... How much does a USB cable matched to this device cost??? Stupid stupid stupid. Sending it back, Stupid stupid stupid.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I've had the Magellan 2220 LM for a few years now and never had a problem with the free map updates until now. The interface has changed from Content Manager to "SmartGPS Eco" which in short, doesn't work. Apparently, before I can update my maps I need a software update which I can't get to, so no map updates. I've spent two hours on this on two different computers and I get nothing except being looped around to the same start screen. Even If I try to buy the updates, it doesn't work. I tried to contact them through the support page email address and that too was a total waste of time. I'm heading out tomorrow to buy a new Garmin.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We've had a Magellan RoadMate 2520-LM for 2 years and got it on sale at Canadian Tire. The buttons stopped working, so I called the support number on the box and they said that I needed to do an update. Every time I've attempted to do the update it gets about 2 minutes left and tells me that I have insufficient storage. What a hunk of junk! I want to throw this thing out after I've taken a hammer to it. For those out there who are thinking of buying this product, DO NOT!!! WASTE OF MONEY even if it was on sale!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

WARNING: DO NOT BUY. PERIOD!! If you have one, destroy and buy something else, not Magellan. Your privacy may be compromised. This is very serious. I bought both the 5295 and the 5390. Original owner. I liked the idea of a connected GPS. Great concept. However, they always had glitches with freezing, reboots, shutoffs, etc. Too many times on a route. I ALWAYS had issues with Magellan products, so I went to Garmin. Never a problem. BUT, I wanted to give these units another chance. Have had 6 smart GPS units, all junk. But today is the last straw, and I am considering class action against the company.

It began with trying to update a map on the 5295 that was in storage for a year. The map would not update as my unit did not have enough space. This is a typical Magellan problem, so I decided to plug it into my computer to look at the files stored on it. To my surprise, I found a secret folder with 71,659 jpeg files spread over many subfolders. How could that be? I did not put them there. So, I deleted them and the GPS started downloading content via wifi. I thought it was the new map. No, it re-downloaded the same jpegs and folders. Deleted them again and this time, connected to my computer with the SmartGPS program to download the new map. It worked, but the GPS later downloaded the same jpeg files again over wifi after I turned it off.

Confused, I called Magellan customer support. The person asked me about the system version number, map version, but never addressed my concern why my GPS was creating folders and downloading pictures over wifi. Finally, she said it was my computer and can she help me with anything else. In other words, can't help you, bye. I hung up on her. After some thinking about this, the smart GPS is connected to the Magellan cloud. There is no way to disconnect from that. It is always connected.

Therefore, there is no way of knowing who is on that cloud and what content that cloud is being used for. There is no security system that we know of in place to prevent someone from using our GPS for their needs. Our information is compromised by storing contacts, phone numbers, and most important, if we use our smartphone to tether to it, then more info is compromised. Destroy these things and buy something else. If you want to check yours, plug it in your computer, you will be able to see the folders stored on it. Check in this manner: Android/Data/com.mitac.smartGPS/Files/Cloudmade/Hybrid/Attachments (many subfolders in here, each one with files. Mine was many photos).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought a Magellan GPS and never got one usage out of it. I called Magellan and got a non English speaking person who requested I send the unit back to them along with payment in order for it to be repaired. I came to realize that was a scheme. Magellan is ripping customers off having to purchase non working items and having to pay for repairs when you get NO USAGE from the item. I chose to keep the non working unit and save the rest of my money. I have one expensive GPS that never worked. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING ANYTHING FROM THIS NON TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The reason I purchased my Magellan was for free map updates. I plugged it in and for a update and Magellan sends me to smartgpseco.com to purchase a update for 79.99. I'm throwing this in the trash and purchasing a Garmin.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The worst support I have ever experienced is from Magellan. I purchased a RM6630TLM in Feb. 2017 and tried to update the maps in July which failed many times. I contacted support via email with the problem. I attempted to reset the device as suggested but it failed. After sending the photos and answering all of their questions. I was told via email “In the line of your concern, we received similar concern about the map update version 69.03. We highly suggest not to process the update. We working on this issue. As soon as this issue will be fix, you will be notified and can process the update”. I never had a notice that the problem has been fixed so I see a new version of the maps is ready to download and it also failed just like the previous version did. I emailed support on October 10 and still have not had a response.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought a RoadMate 6230-LM unit, with dash camera less than two weeks ago. It hasn't been in service for a week and I started having a couple of problems: I couldn't update the maps. After a couple hours of frustration I figured out how to update. You need to remove the micro SD card to get the update to work. If you don't you get an "insufficient storage space" message. I plugged the device into my computer with the USB cable and ran the Magellan Player software to retrieve video. It worked the first time I tried, but then the next time there were no videos visible, even though I could play them on the device. I thought maybe the card got corrupted so I returned it to the DVR slot and formatted the SD card. No luck. When I turn the camera on I get a message "card not formatted". I tried a few times, same result.

Today I called Magellan's 800 number. It's a call centre in the Philippines. They suggested I try a different card. I remembered I had another card I used in a drone and inserted that. It formatted and video was recorded again. It looks like it is a defective SD card. The call centre person said that they would not send a replacement card. The card sent with the device is defective and I haven't even been using the unit for a week now. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was put on hold and disconnected. I called back and was advised that the supervisor was on break and that they would call me back. That was 2 hours ago. I'm not impressed. In addition, the call centre representative said that I should return it to the place purchased. It was an online site (Woot.com, owned by Amazon) and they require you to deal with the company directly for warranty issues. Also, right in the box it says "Please do not return this product to the place of purchase".

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I Bought a Roadmate 6615-lm from Magellan for my business. It can take a couple minutes after being turned on to figure out where it is, gets really hot, then the touchscreen becomes unresponsive so you can no longer give any commands to it. 2 weeks earlier I had to send it back to the company for replacement. They wouldn't even make a call tag so I had to pay for shipping. They also made me give them a cc to put a hold on for cross shipment. The hold included shipping and it was about $40.00 more than what I originally paid 2 weeks earlier from them because I bought it on sale and they wouldn't honor the sale price even for the hold. I received the replacement unit several days later. Within a week. The new unit was already having touch screen problems and was getting really hot as well.

I now have another concern. If the unit could start a fire and destroy my vehicle, or even more if it's parked at home when it burns. I have now sent the replacement unit back and paid for shipping again to return it. I was not about to let them put a hold on my cc again and risk paying for another unit when they try to claim it didn't arrive. They have had no sense of urgency, or care how this is a problem for me and my small business that relies on accurate navigation to reach our clients. I plan on replacing all of our units and going with another company after this. I am not sure I feel safe having little fire hazards in our company vehicles.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

RoadMate Vehicle GPS - Magellan promises prospective customers that they will receive free updates for their unit - 4 per year. NOT SO! And to make matters worse, they will willingly and knowingly lie to you about why you can't get updates. First problem is their update software - SmartEcoGps - it's not very smart, difficult to navigate and not user friendly. Second problem is that Magellan changed their map update supplier. They were using Navtech and now after switching to a newer supplier (probably to save a few bucks) the newer maps are too large for most units that are more than 2 years old. THEY SUCK!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Bought the Magellan Roadmate 2525LM at Canadian Tire on sale, now I know why it was on sale. Maps are outdated and website doesn't confirm it came with lifetime maps. New gps that is basically useless, buy a Garmin if you're looking for a good gps.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Roadmate GPS - Free lifetime maps is a joke. Does not work - refers to new website which sends you into a never ending circular routine. As such, impossible to upgrade maps. I have wasted 3 hours on this useless unit. Says to unplug unit to complete update, and when you do so, it asks you to plug in and retry. Absolute garbage. I am switching back to Garmin - much more reliable and consistent.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Purchased a 5045-LM for lifetime map updates. Now they have come out with "map upgrades" and use SmartGPS Eco for these "updates" which do not include "upgrades." SmartGPS Eco does not tell me what the latest map version is, and will not tell me exactly what I should be updating. Instead, it sends me to the Magellan site to select my device and tells me that I can pay for maps for another region (EU) or use SmartGPS Eco to keep my device updated. Map updates sends me in circles and gets me nowhere. I had to guess for myself that map upgrades were the new updates, and that they weren't included in my "lifetime map" unit. This was a scam and a serious case of thievery, and I would not recommend this crooked company to anyone.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Magellan GPS 5230T-LM effectively killed my unit --- support is a bad joke --- told me they don't support Win10 & said only solution was for me to buy and install win7. I finally was able use a friends Win7 computer. Their new web based Content Manager did only to update maps - was useless since the update was so old. I was told that the only feature that worked on new CM was map updates. Buy Magellan only if you want useless junk equipped with frustration and headaches. I'm out on Magellan. Purchased with new Magellan saying **.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I used the Magellan RoadMaster 6265T-LMB for a long time. Recently, the company has discontinued support of 'Content Manager' that allowed the user to easily and quickly update the content of the GPS. They have replaced it with a web product that is slow and cumbersome to use. Look for a product from a different company. Their new solution is far too difficult and time consuming to use.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Two days ago I downloaded and installed a software (maps) update. When I unplugged the GPS from the computer, the GPS had no map memory and would not accept any address. I just spoke with the Magellan rep who informed me that my GPS likely had a power failure during the update and is now garbage. He offered me 30% off on a replacement GPS but I will never buy another piece of Magellan crap. Spread the word and stay away from any Magellan product!

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs