Magellan GPS
1.06/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

148 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had purchased a Magellan GPS 3045-LM with a lifetime map updates. I have not been able to do an update since the new SmartGPSEco software was implemented although the program tells me that there are updates available, in checking the Magellan website I learned that know they have a disclaimer that the useful life of a GPS is only 3 years hence maps will only be updated during that period as follows:

"Lifetime Maps - For all lifetime map subscriptions, lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. For all lifetime map subscriptions, you will receive map data updates when such updates are made available on Magellan’s website during the device’s useful life for that compatible Magellan device. “Device’s useful life” refers to the period during which the device has all required technical capabilities, including sufficient memory capacity and current operating system, to download and use current map data. A device’s useful life is considered to be a maximum of 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. A device will be considered past its useful life if it is more than 3 years old or if no updates have been downloaded for more than 2 years (24 months)."

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased this Magellan 5230 LM unit because it has both a gps and a dash cam. The first one was for my vehicle and the second was for my wife's car. After about a year they both quit, so I purchased two more after contacting Magellan, even though I was only a few day out of warranty on one of them, they would not help me. I couldn't even send it in for repairs and pay for it myself. Again, just shortly after the warranty period the new gps's failed. All four GPS's had screen problems. If you touched the left corner, it registered as a touch in the middle of the screen. In some parts of the screen it would not detect any presses. They have always been slow starting up right out of the box, and acquiring a signal takes some time.

All four of these units represent quite a investment in one household, everyone failed in the same manner and each time Magellan was extremely unhelpful. I would suggest that you stay away from this model and Magellan products altogether because they love to hide behind their warranty limits even though it is very obvious that they are offering defective items. I will go back to Garmin, I will dig one of my old ones out and I am 100% certain it will work, they just don't have lifetime maps.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been using the Roadmate GPS for a few weeks and found that the map was extremely outdated. I have purchased the device in 2018 but the map was 2004. I tried using their new web based content management to update the map but it kept giving an "insufficient storage" error similar to many others that have reviewed the Magellan devices. After countless hours of trial and error I was finally able to create a workaround that would fix the issue. For everyone else that has been tortured by this issue I created a YouTube video to help you out: **. Magellan needs to get its act together and find a viable solution as their technical support team is nonresponsive.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased a RoadMate GPS unit at Best Buy in Houston TX more than a year ago. I did so because I liked the bigger display and the panorama screen. The imagery was attractive and the onscreen navigation intuitive. I was a happy customer in the making. Until I wasn't. Problem #1. Updating maps. A nightmare. A third-party website without logical, understandable instructions. Downloads that failed. Failure that screwed up the operating system. Ultimately requiring a complete reinstall of both operating system + maps. Called customer support. Horrible experience.

Ultimately, the reinstall failed and I returned the unit for a replacement - a rebuilt, used RoadMate. It was better. For a season. Then it wasn't. The touchscreen stopped working. No way to enter data. Unusable. A few days of un-use and then a reprieve. It fixed itself. For a day. Yesterday, I jumped in my Tahoe to discover the unit case had split apart having been pushed apart by a exploded battery. A 1/2 inch gap now prevented the screen front from attaching to the rear portion of the unit.

Called customer support. Third-party, overseas, reps reading from a script. Useless. When I pressed them for a solution, they hung up on me. I called back. 2nd guy hung up on me. 3rd guy told me stuff that was untrue. Done with Magellan. Worse than Comcast. (Never thought I would say that.) I'm taking my split-apart Magellan RoadMate to the driving range tomorrow and will tee it up for a beating with my driver. Wanna watch? Hello Garmin. here I come.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My uncle gave my mother a Magellan RoadMate 5120-LMTX. You have to use the SmartGPSEco.com website to update map. The plug-in only works for Chrome web browser and not Firefox even though it is suppose to work for both. Even when the plugin works, it takes forever to download the map. The plugin and/or website doesn't recognize that the 5120 is plugged in even though I am using a mini USB data cable that came with a newer Garmin GPS. The link for their Recovery Tool software is broken. Overall an awful experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am trying to use the Magellan update manager to update my Magellan GPS Roadmate 2036 and have not had any success installing the software on my machine. The logs are cryptic, the error messages are worse and customer support (god knows where they are) wants to have remote session to your machine which is not acceptable to many people in this age of security hacks. I will continue to examine their software and try to solve the problem myself. It would be nice if they can tell you anywhere how to trace and debug the software. We do not need, God who knows who with strange accents and not very trustworthy names, to access our devices where we keep our financial information and other things. Grow up Magellan if you want to compete.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the Roadmate 5120-LMTX for years. Trying to get the content manager to recognize the GPS unit or even logging into my account fails every time. Recently I learned of a new content management site set up for replacing on computer Content Manager program. Went there, registered, had to download a file to install so the site could recognize my GPS device. Did that, installed ok, rebooted computer, went to site again and my GPS is not seen or recognized by the site. Went through reinstalling the file as recommended, retried on the website without success. SO MUCH FOR MAGELLAN GPS LIFETIME UPDATES!!! Thales Navigation is terrible at supporting their products and I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING Magellan again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We have owned a Magellan Road Mate vehicle GPS for several years. The left side of the touchscreen suddenly became unresponsive so we are unable to use the 'back' button and a number of letters on the keyboard to type in locations. Contacting someone at Magellan proved to be very difficult. Their customer service line is disconnected, no one answers the phone at their head office, and it took one week to get a response to our online request for assistance. In the end, we were told that Magellan does not provide help to customers 12 months after the purchase date. Overall, exceptionally poor customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Their support number is disconnected, they do not answer emails to support, they do not monitor their social media. In fact it is not updated for months. The lifetime maps will not download. Their local BBB sent them my complaint and they did not respond to either of two BBB communications over a 60 day period. I have to conclude they are out of business. My recommendation is to try to contact them before you give them your money. There are a lot of better choices in my opinion that hold a lot less risk.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased a Magellan 5230T-LM for my daughter. When I went into the Magellan site to update my maps I was told that I would have to pay for the map update. I submitted a ticket to Magellan support and was told that my device did not come with lifetime updates and was told to sent a picture of the box (which I had thrown out) or some proof that it came with lifetime updates. I responded with a picture showing the model number and serial number showing that is should come with lifetime updates. 1 week later they sent me directions on how to update my unit.

I tried to follow the directions but they still asked me to pay for the update. I sent an email back and asked for a number that I could speak to a live person. 2 weeks have now gone by and no answer from them. I own a number of electronics and have never had customer service this bad. Do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin. Updating the Garmin is easy and you wont be stuck having to pay for an update that should be free.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a new Magellan GPS in Nov of 2017 and just opened it May 2018. When I registered it, it stated I should update the maps. I tried and it failed due to insufficient space. I tried to use it and I keep getting the message address search not available. I contacted support and they told me to use a micro sd card. I purchased the micro sd card and continued to get the same error. They then said to delete the existing map and do it again, which I did and still received the same message. They never responded when I informed them that that didn't work either. I now own a brand new GPS that is worthless.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I've had several Magellan GPS's. A major problem is that when a newer device is offered for sale, the company immediately drops all support for anything older. No drivers, no software --- just try to find a manual for a SporTrak on the Magellan site. If you call support with an issue, the response is to buy the newer unit. Once a GPS device is no longer offered for sale, it's like it never existed if you visit the Magellan site, or call support. If you do get support, it's about money --- everything costs. Magellan wants money for what other GPS makers offer for free.

If you go with Magellan, figure that the lifetime of your device will not be based on how long it works; but how long it takes for a newer model to supersede it. When that happens, you at least will not have to buy a paperweight. And, during the time your unit is in operation, pray you do not have technical issues with it and need to call customer support.

Original review: April 21, 2018

The Magellan RoadMate 5330T-LM was a 3 year anniversary work gift for my wife. She received it Last January. Worked kind of OK until around November/December, but kept forgetting to notify Magellan. The touchscreen was out of sync. Contacted Magellan in February of 2018 with all of the product info and that it was a gift and the date it was registered was the date it was received. All I wanted to know was how to calibrate the screen-- had the same problem with a Garmin GPS and they have a way to recalibrate. Have emailed back and forth with Magellan February through March and now they won't reply to me. All I want to know is how to recalibrate, or how much it will cost to send it to them to fix/replace. And now the unit will not turn on.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased the Roadmate RV9490T-LMB a week before going on our trip. We never got it to work, when we came back a couple of month later I left the Unit in the motorhome and forgot about till we were going on our trip this year. I had major problems with the map update, it would not register on any of my computers. I contacted the support team, which totally gave me the runaround. Any phone numbers they gave me advised to contact then per e-mail, which I have over 20 e-mails with no result. Then in this last March 2018 they advised me to return the unit which I did and they had received the unit in 2 days.

A week later they advised that they had received the unit and that they had filled the order to replace it. Next e-mail I received was that they cancelled the order and replace with another one. This was in March 2 2018. As of today April 18 2018 I have not received anything, and they are not returning any answers on my e-mail here. I paid 384.95 and have nothing. When I ordered the unit from Magellan they automatically transferred me factory Outlet Store for the purchase.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst company for customer service. I did the map update last weekend and it didn’t work. Now the maps aren’t there and it is a useless ornament on an ambulance dashboard. I have emailed Magellan several times. The only response I received was a request for more information. I replied to the email with a follow up on their website. This was Monday. To date I have not had any reply. I cannot find a customer support phone number that works. This is a useless company who will never get another dime of my money. Definitely buyer beware.

Original review: April 11, 2018

How to get your old Magellan GPS to be recognized by SmartGPS Eco website By Walt ** (Magellan ought to give me a few new GPS for figuring this out for all their customers). I own a Roadmate RV9365T-LMB and a Roadmate 2230T-LM. I bought them new and have been ticked off for at least 4 years now that they wouldn’t update. This is ever since they started using the SmartGPS Eco website. Well, after screwing around for several days and many hours, here is what I came up with and it worked to update both my Roadmates. Now I am just ticked at the company that since 2012 they have determined there is no need to update the RM 2230T-LM map only the software.

Steps to a successful install (using Windows 10 but probably works otherwise as well). 1. Download mgnContentManager.msi from the SmartGPS Eco website. 2. Close Browsers. 3. Run mgnContentManager.msi to install. 4. When it asks what directory to place it in, you can default, but I don’t advise it. Make it simple. Tell it to save to C:\Magellan. Let it install download. 5. Once completed, open the C:\Magellan (or other) directory. 6. Find mgnContentManager.exe file. 7. Double Click on the file. 8. Check Task Manager to see that mgnContentManager is running. (Under Processes shows up as SmartGPS Eco (32 bit). 9. Plug in your Magellan to a USB port. 10. Open your browser (I used Firefox) and voila! Within a minute it recognized my drive and showed what installs to run.

On my two Magellans downloads were successful (although I did have to add a microSD Card to the RV one). I wasn’t sure what size to buy, because some hardware is really picky about what size GB you can use. I chose a SanDisk 16 Gb because I assumed that 16 Gb was a common size in 2012 when the machine was new and SanDisk was not an off brand. The SmartGPS Eco website still says that my GPS devices are not compatible with places and store tabs, but as long as I can use the download updates tab, I DON’T CARE!

Original review: April 11, 2018

As with other Magellan users, they changed their Map Update program to SmartGPS Eco from Content Manager. It no longer recognizes the RoadMate-5045-LTM and I suspect other legacy products. Calling the help center directed me to an India site that tells you your drivers are defective and for a price of $80 for a three year contract, they will correct the drivers and set up a new universal GPS map download program that works. Of course, the USB driver is working just fine and SmartGPS Eco program sees the GPS but just doesn't recognize it.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I called Magellan support. They connected me to a gate. They said they needed to fix my drivers in my laptop for a certain price. I needed to fix them so they could download the map updates then they said they needed another certain amount of money to send me the CD so I can put it in my laptop and download it into my RoadMate 1700. It's been a month now haven't received no CD. I live in Louisville Kentucky. Magellan is in California. It don't take a month to receive a CD. I told him I was very unhappy and I who wanted a refund they said it would be a couple of days. Well we'll see. I bet it don't happen so don't let them scam you too.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Magellan Roadmate N509M-5000 - Garbage device. Right out of the box it does work but will say turn left, go 9k, pull a u-turn, go back to exactly where you were, and turn left heading north back in the direction I was already going on the exact same street. Updates... never worked. I am an IT specialist and this stupid thing won't stay connected to any of my main machine's ports (USB 3 or 2) using different cables. Tried other computers. Same thing. Keeps connecting and disconnecting. My digital camcorder stays connected using the same cable, same ports, for 6+ hours to transfer 128GB of data yet this thing can't even stay connected to update a map.

The interface is garbage compared to my Tom Tom. I can't stand this GPS unit. It is the worst of the worst. I also bought a Magellan Car Recorder (2 of them)... they are barely adequate. I will NEVER buy another Magellan product ever again. They are GARBAGE!!! In comparison... I have a Shoppers Drug Mart cheap Tom Tom that I have used in my cab for 5 years now. Updates no problem. Works perfectly and has a wonderful interface. My only gripe is the screen size but that's my fault for buying a small screen size. STAY AWAY from Magellan!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Bought the Trx7 GPS 2 weeks ago. First day of setting it up had some problems with it wanting to connect to GPS and called them. They answered and talked me through it and everything worked fine. I was trying to download Spotify to my unit with no luck and messaged them about the problem. It's been a week and no answer to the email. In the meantime I have called 5 days straight and no answer and no callback. I don't understand how it is so hard to just answer a simple question. I will never purchase anything from Magellan again. That's for sure.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I bought the Magellan RoadMate 7771T-LMB and tried to complete the setup by registering the unit as stated in the documentation and got an error stating “Unknown error try again later”. I did this for 3 days with no luck. It also showed there were map updates available but couldn’t do the update because it was not registered. At this point I tried to call support as stated in the manual and the support call recording stated go to their website and email them for support then hung up on me.

I tried to call again and got the same thing. Guess they do not want to talk to their customers. I email them as stated and got a reply the next day stating there were others with the same issue and was sending the issue to headquarters. Well 2 weeks later got no reply back. So I returned the Magellan to the store and bought a Garmin GPS. This is the WORST support/customer service I have ever received for any product and I thought Microsoft was bad but Magellan takes the cake… Please do not but any Magellan product as if you have issues you are on your own.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Late October 2017 I ordered a RoadMate 6615. It was delivered timely but was also defective upon receipt 11/2. I was told to return it and supply proof of shipment and I would receive a new unit and be reimbursed for the return shipping charges. After 2 weeks with receiving no replacement unit, they claimed they had never received the defective unit. Twice I had to send them the proof of delivery receipt from FedEx that it was delivered to them 11/7. I finally received a new unit after another week but no shipping fee reimbursement. It is now March 2018 and after no fewer than a dozen attempts through calls and emails I still have not been reimbursed for the shipping charges. Not a huge amount but a matter of principle. I will never buy another Magellan unit. These people constantly give you the runaround and don't honor their warranties. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I recently attempted to upgrade two of my devices using SmartGPS Eco (like many others on here), after the usual email chase I got nowhere with Magellan other than circles. I tried every browser and platform except Opera and as a last resort it worked and allowed me to upgrade the units. The other issue I had was while the units stated lifetime maps even though they were registered I could not get the maps so after several emails (again) I managed to get them to change the information (the units were bought from CTC). If you are having trouble entering the SmartGPS portal (the wheel keeps turning on the log in page) give Opera a try. It work for me. As for Magellan it looks like they are no longer interested in the auto segment and just leaving loyal customers in the dust. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I'm not going to repeat what I have read current reviews listed. It would be a waste of time. I agree with all of them rated 1 star or less. This company does not belong in business. No possible way to get a map update - immediate response telling you to try again in 48 hours which is worthless, nothing changes. No C.S. phone number, they hide behind a computer generated email message. I ask myself "what is happening to customer service today" but Magellan is leading the way to piss poor customer service. I'll check out TomTom, but any company that does not supply a C.S. phone number will not see my money.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have owned a Magellan Roadmate for several years now. No complaints about the unit - it is a good unit, it is very accurate, and it works very well. My complaint concerns the method used to access the lifetime free map updates. Formerly, I used the Magellan Content Manager, which worked great. I never had any problems updating the unit software or the maps. Magellan now has switched the updates to a website called SmartGPS Eco. I have found this new website to be absolutely worthless so far. I have had no success in logging on to the site using two of the recommended browsers - Firefox and Chrome. My contacts with customer support have also been useless. I reported the issue on Jan 14 via email. I received a reply on Jan 15 indicating that they are aware of the issue and that I should wait 24-48 hours and try again.

I waited until Jan 18 (72 hours) and tried again. Still no success. I then contacted customer support via Chat. I was told that the website is under maintenance, but they (the Support Team) had not been given any information on when the maintenance would be completed. I continued to wait another 7 days until Jan 25 and I tried again to log on. Once again, no success. I sent another inquiry via email asking when this "maintenance" would be complete and I would be able to log on to the site. I have not yet received a reply to my latest contact. Lifetime map updates aren't worth anything if you cannot access them!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have really enjoyed the GPS, it has worked well over the last year but... I have been trying to update the maps for over a month now. Cannot log into the SmartGPS eco and they supposedly can’t just put the update on their site... I have been told my computer is the problem, their server is down (which they really like to say and that my GPS is defective, It is too bad that such a quality product has such terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

New Xmas present - we getting ready for a trip and I open the GPS for 1st use. 1st thing - you have to boot it up to register etc... There is no power. Before 1st thing, you have to charge up the device. The only connection that comes with the GPS is a car cigarette lighter connection that just doesn't fit in the computer or any USB connection. I contact Magellan customer support - no, no USB cable is included, you can charge up the device in your car and then return home to register the device via wifi in order to use the device. Stupid stupid stupid... How much does a USB cable matched to this device cost??? Stupid stupid stupid. Sending it back, Stupid stupid stupid.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I've had the Magellan 2220 LM for a few years now and never had a problem with the free map updates until now. The interface has changed from Content Manager to "SmartGPS Eco" which in short, doesn't work. Apparently, before I can update my maps I need a software update which I can't get to, so no map updates. I've spent two hours on this on two different computers and I get nothing except being looped around to the same start screen. Even If I try to buy the updates, it doesn't work. I tried to contact them through the support page email address and that too was a total waste of time. I'm heading out tomorrow to buy a new Garmin.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We've had a Magellan RoadMate 2520-LM for 2 years and got it on sale at Canadian Tire. The buttons stopped working, so I called the support number on the box and they said that I needed to do an update. Every time I've attempted to do the update it gets about 2 minutes left and tells me that I have insufficient storage. What a hunk of junk! I want to throw this thing out after I've taken a hammer to it. For those out there who are thinking of buying this product, DO NOT!!! WASTE OF MONEY even if it was on sale!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

WARNING: DO NOT BUY. PERIOD!! If you have one, destroy and buy something else, not Magellan. Your privacy may be compromised. This is very serious. I bought both the 5295 and the 5390. Original owner. I liked the idea of a connected GPS. Great concept. However, they always had glitches with freezing, reboots, shutoffs, etc. Too many times on a route. I ALWAYS had issues with Magellan products, so I went to Garmin. Never a problem. BUT, I wanted to give these units another chance. Have had 6 smart GPS units, all junk. But today is the last straw, and I am considering class action against the company.

It began with trying to update a map on the 5295 that was in storage for a year. The map would not update as my unit did not have enough space. This is a typical Magellan problem, so I decided to plug it into my computer to look at the files stored on it. To my surprise, I found a secret folder with 71,659 jpeg files spread over many subfolders. How could that be? I did not put them there. So, I deleted them and the GPS started downloading content via wifi. I thought it was the new map. No, it re-downloaded the same jpegs and folders. Deleted them again and this time, connected to my computer with the SmartGPS program to download the new map. It worked, but the GPS later downloaded the same jpeg files again over wifi after I turned it off.

Confused, I called Magellan customer support. The person asked me about the system version number, map version, but never addressed my concern why my GPS was creating folders and downloading pictures over wifi. Finally, she said it was my computer and can she help me with anything else. In other words, can't help you, bye. I hung up on her. After some thinking about this, the smart GPS is connected to the Magellan cloud. There is no way to disconnect from that. It is always connected.

Therefore, there is no way of knowing who is on that cloud and what content that cloud is being used for. There is no security system that we know of in place to prevent someone from using our GPS for their needs. Our information is compromised by storing contacts, phone numbers, and most important, if we use our smartphone to tether to it, then more info is compromised. Destroy these things and buy something else. If you want to check yours, plug it in your computer, you will be able to see the folders stored on it. Check in this manner: Android/Data/com.mitac.smartGPS/Files/Cloudmade/Hybrid/Attachments (many subfolders in here, each one with files. Mine was many photos).

Not sure about Magellan GPS?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Magellan GPS Company Information

Magellan
    www.magellangps.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business