Magellan GPS
1.21/5
Based on 103 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

126 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I recently attempted to upgrade two of my devices using SmartGPS Eco (like many others on here), after the usual email chase I got nowhere with Magellan other than circles. I tried every browser and platform except Opera and as a last resort it worked and allowed me to upgrade the units. The other issue I had was while the units stated lifetime maps even though they were registered I could not get the maps so after several emails (again) I managed to get them to change the information (the units were bought from CTC). If you are having trouble entering the SmartGPS portal (the wheel keeps turning on the log in page) give Opera a try. It work for me. As for Magellan it looks like they are no longer interested in the auto segment and just leaving loyal customers in the dust. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I'm not going to repeat what I have read current reviews listed. It would be a waste of time. I agree with all of them rated 1 star or less. This company does not belong in business. No possible way to get a map update - immediate response telling you to try again in 48 hours which is worthless, nothing changes. No C.S. phone number, they hide behind a computer generated email message. I ask myself "what is happening to customer service today" but Magellan is leading the way to piss poor customer service. I'll check out TomTom, but any company that does not supply a C.S. phone number will not see my money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have owned a Magellan Roadmate for several years now. No complaints about the unit - it is a good unit, it is very accurate, and it works very well. My complaint concerns the method used to access the lifetime free map updates. Formerly, I used the Magellan Content Manager, which worked great. I never had any problems updating the unit software or the maps. Magellan now has switched the updates to a website called SmartGPS Eco. I have found this new website to be absolutely worthless so far. I have had no success in logging on to the site using two of the recommended browsers - Firefox and Chrome. My contacts with customer support have also been useless. I reported the issue on Jan 14 via email. I received a reply on Jan 15 indicating that they are aware of the issue and that I should wait 24-48 hours and try again.

I waited until Jan 18 (72 hours) and tried again. Still no success. I then contacted customer support via Chat. I was told that the website is under maintenance, but they (the Support Team) had not been given any information on when the maintenance would be completed. I continued to wait another 7 days until Jan 25 and I tried again to log on. Once again, no success. I sent another inquiry via email asking when this "maintenance" would be complete and I would be able to log on to the site. I have not yet received a reply to my latest contact. Lifetime map updates aren't worth anything if you cannot access them!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have really enjoyed the GPS, it has worked well over the last year but... I have been trying to update the maps for over a month now. Cannot log into the SmartGPS eco and they supposedly can’t just put the update on their site... I have been told my computer is the problem, their server is down (which they really like to say and that my GPS is defective, It is too bad that such a quality product has such terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

New Xmas present - we getting ready for a trip and I open the GPS for 1st use. 1st thing - you have to boot it up to register etc... There is no power. Before 1st thing, you have to charge up the device. The only connection that comes with the GPS is a car cigarette lighter connection that just doesn't fit in the computer or any USB connection. I contact Magellan customer support - no, no USB cable is included, you can charge up the device in your car and then return home to register the device via wifi in order to use the device. Stupid stupid stupid... How much does a USB cable matched to this device cost??? Stupid stupid stupid. Sending it back, Stupid stupid stupid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I've had the Magellan 2220 LM for a few years now and never had a problem with the free map updates until now. The interface has changed from Content Manager to "SmartGPS Eco" which in short, doesn't work. Apparently, before I can update my maps I need a software update which I can't get to, so no map updates. I've spent two hours on this on two different computers and I get nothing except being looped around to the same start screen. Even If I try to buy the updates, it doesn't work. I tried to contact them through the support page email address and that too was a total waste of time. I'm heading out tomorrow to buy a new Garmin.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We've had a Magellan RoadMate 2520-LM for 2 years and got it on sale at Canadian Tire. The buttons stopped working, so I called the support number on the box and they said that I needed to do an update. Every time I've attempted to do the update it gets about 2 minutes left and tells me that I have insufficient storage. What a hunk of junk! I want to throw this thing out after I've taken a hammer to it. For those out there who are thinking of buying this product, DO NOT!!! WASTE OF MONEY even if it was on sale!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

WARNING: DO NOT BUY. PERIOD!! If you have one, destroy and buy something else, not Magellan. Your privacy may be compromised. This is very serious. I bought both the 5295 and the 5390. Original owner. I liked the idea of a connected GPS. Great concept. However, they always had glitches with freezing, reboots, shutoffs, etc. Too many times on a route. I ALWAYS had issues with Magellan products, so I went to Garmin. Never a problem. BUT, I wanted to give these units another chance. Have had 6 smart GPS units, all junk. But today is the last straw, and I am considering class action against the company.

It began with trying to update a map on the 5295 that was in storage for a year. The map would not update as my unit did not have enough space. This is a typical Magellan problem, so I decided to plug it into my computer to look at the files stored on it. To my surprise, I found a secret folder with 71,659 jpeg files spread over many subfolders. How could that be? I did not put them there. So, I deleted them and the GPS started downloading content via wifi. I thought it was the new map. No, it re-downloaded the same jpegs and folders. Deleted them again and this time, connected to my computer with the SmartGPS program to download the new map. It worked, but the GPS later downloaded the same jpeg files again over wifi after I turned it off.

Confused, I called Magellan customer support. The person asked me about the system version number, map version, but never addressed my concern why my GPS was creating folders and downloading pictures over wifi. Finally, she said it was my computer and can she help me with anything else. In other words, can't help you, bye. I hung up on her. After some thinking about this, the smart GPS is connected to the Magellan cloud. There is no way to disconnect from that. It is always connected.

Therefore, there is no way of knowing who is on that cloud and what content that cloud is being used for. There is no security system that we know of in place to prevent someone from using our GPS for their needs. Our information is compromised by storing contacts, phone numbers, and most important, if we use our smartphone to tether to it, then more info is compromised. Destroy these things and buy something else. If you want to check yours, plug it in your computer, you will be able to see the folders stored on it. Check in this manner: Android/Data/com.mitac.smartGPS/Files/Cloudmade/Hybrid/Attachments (many subfolders in here, each one with files. Mine was many photos).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought a Magellan GPS and never got one usage out of it. I called Magellan and got a non English speaking person who requested I send the unit back to them along with payment in order for it to be repaired. I came to realize that was a scheme. Magellan is ripping customers off having to purchase non working items and having to pay for repairs when you get NO USAGE from the item. I chose to keep the non working unit and save the rest of my money. I have one expensive GPS that never worked. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING ANYTHING FROM THIS NON TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The reason I purchased my Magellan was for free map updates. I plugged it in and for a update and Magellan sends me to smartgpseco.com to purchase a update for 79.99. I'm throwing this in the trash and purchasing a Garmin.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The worst support I have ever experienced is from Magellan. I purchased a RM6630TLM in Feb. 2017 and tried to update the maps in July which failed many times. I contacted support via email with the problem. I attempted to reset the device as suggested but it failed. After sending the photos and answering all of their questions. I was told via email “In the line of your concern, we received similar concern about the map update version 69.03. We highly suggest not to process the update. We working on this issue. As soon as this issue will be fix, you will be notified and can process the update”. I never had a notice that the problem has been fixed so I see a new version of the maps is ready to download and it also failed just like the previous version did. I emailed support on October 10 and still have not had a response.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought a RoadMate 6230-LM unit, with dash camera less than two weeks ago. It hasn't been in service for a week and I started having a couple of problems: I couldn't update the maps. After a couple hours of frustration I figured out how to update. You need to remove the micro SD card to get the update to work. If you don't you get an "insufficient storage space" message. I plugged the device into my computer with the USB cable and ran the Magellan Player software to retrieve video. It worked the first time I tried, but then the next time there were no videos visible, even though I could play them on the device. I thought maybe the card got corrupted so I returned it to the DVR slot and formatted the SD card. No luck. When I turn the camera on I get a message "card not formatted". I tried a few times, same result.

Today I called Magellan's 800 number. It's a call centre in the Philippines. They suggested I try a different card. I remembered I had another card I used in a drone and inserted that. It formatted and video was recorded again. It looks like it is a defective SD card. The call centre person said that they would not send a replacement card. The card sent with the device is defective and I haven't even been using the unit for a week now. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was put on hold and disconnected. I called back and was advised that the supervisor was on break and that they would call me back. That was 2 hours ago. I'm not impressed. In addition, the call centre representative said that I should return it to the place purchased. It was an online site (Woot.com, owned by Amazon) and they require you to deal with the company directly for warranty issues. Also, right in the box it says "Please do not return this product to the place of purchase".

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I Bought a Roadmate 6615-lm from Magellan for my business. It can take a couple minutes after being turned on to figure out where it is, gets really hot, then the touchscreen becomes unresponsive so you can no longer give any commands to it. 2 weeks earlier I had to send it back to the company for replacement. They wouldn't even make a call tag so I had to pay for shipping. They also made me give them a cc to put a hold on for cross shipment. The hold included shipping and it was about $40.00 more than what I originally paid 2 weeks earlier from them because I bought it on sale and they wouldn't honor the sale price even for the hold. I received the replacement unit several days later. Within a week. The new unit was already having touch screen problems and was getting really hot as well.

I now have another concern. If the unit could start a fire and destroy my vehicle, or even more if it's parked at home when it burns. I have now sent the replacement unit back and paid for shipping again to return it. I was not about to let them put a hold on my cc again and risk paying for another unit when they try to claim it didn't arrive. They have had no sense of urgency, or care how this is a problem for me and my small business that relies on accurate navigation to reach our clients. I plan on replacing all of our units and going with another company after this. I am not sure I feel safe having little fire hazards in our company vehicles.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

RoadMate Vehicle GPS - Magellan promises prospective customers that they will receive free updates for their unit - 4 per year. NOT SO! And to make matters worse, they will willingly and knowingly lie to you about why you can't get updates. First problem is their update software - SmartEcoGps - it's not very smart, difficult to navigate and not user friendly. Second problem is that Magellan changed their map update supplier. They were using Navtech and now after switching to a newer supplier (probably to save a few bucks) the newer maps are too large for most units that are more than 2 years old. THEY SUCK!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Bought the Magellan Roadmate 2525LM at Canadian Tire on sale, now I know why it was on sale. Maps are outdated and website doesn't confirm it came with lifetime maps. New gps that is basically useless, buy a Garmin if you're looking for a good gps.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Roadmate GPS - Free lifetime maps is a joke. Does not work - refers to new website which sends you into a never ending circular routine. As such, impossible to upgrade maps. I have wasted 3 hours on this useless unit. Says to unplug unit to complete update, and when you do so, it asks you to plug in and retry. Absolute garbage. I am switching back to Garmin - much more reliable and consistent.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Purchased a 5045-LM for lifetime map updates. Now they have come out with "map upgrades" and use SmartGPS Eco for these "updates" which do not include "upgrades." SmartGPS Eco does not tell me what the latest map version is, and will not tell me exactly what I should be updating. Instead, it sends me to the Magellan site to select my device and tells me that I can pay for maps for another region (EU) or use SmartGPS Eco to keep my device updated. Map updates sends me in circles and gets me nowhere. I had to guess for myself that map upgrades were the new updates, and that they weren't included in my "lifetime map" unit. This was a scam and a serious case of thievery, and I would not recommend this crooked company to anyone.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Magellan GPS 5230T-LM effectively killed my unit --- support is a bad joke --- told me they don't support Win10 & said only solution was for me to buy and install win7. I finally was able use a friends Win7 computer. Their new web based Content Manager did only to update maps - was useless since the update was so old. I was told that the only feature that worked on new CM was map updates. Buy Magellan only if you want useless junk equipped with frustration and headaches. I'm out on Magellan. Purchased with new Magellan saying **.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I used the Magellan RoadMaster 6265T-LMB for a long time. Recently, the company has discontinued support of 'Content Manager' that allowed the user to easily and quickly update the content of the GPS. They have replaced it with a web product that is slow and cumbersome to use. Look for a product from a different company. Their new solution is far too difficult and time consuming to use.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Two days ago I downloaded and installed a software (maps) update. When I unplugged the GPS from the computer, the GPS had no map memory and would not accept any address. I just spoke with the Magellan rep who informed me that my GPS likely had a power failure during the update and is now garbage. He offered me 30% off on a replacement GPS but I will never buy another piece of Magellan crap. Spread the word and stay away from any Magellan product!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I own, or should I say owned, 3 Magellan GPS units. (2) 9416T and (1) 9212T. As of today they have been smashed with a hammer, set on fire, and the ashes spread into the wind. They do not have ANY software to update their maps or sync your addresses. The software they have, Content Manager and Smart Eco, do not work hence you cannot do any updating or syncing.

I dealt with customer service via phone and chat lines and got NO HELP whatsoever. They had me remove software, add software, delete software, on and on, nothing. They tried to tell me that it worked on others' computers, so it must be MY PROBLEM. Funny I have a Windows 10 PC running Chrome and Firefox and it works on neither. I even downloaded an old version of Firefox ver. 32, and it didn't work there either. Oh, yeah, it will not work on my wife's Mac either. The last guy I spoke to said everything to me under the sun. I guess he would have told me to ** but figured he'd get fired. As for me, I will never, ever own another Magellan product again. Be forewarned, you're in for some real big frustrations and anger if you buy any of Magellan's products!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Magellan RoadMate 9200_LM. Got this unit on sale, it is a large 7" so I can see it. It is still offered for sale from Magellan! Thing are working, except for current maps and POI (according to the date on the files) are 6/20/2015. I can't believe the maps are current being two years old. The unit can be seen by their software, it will allow me to buy an update to the speed traps. But new roads and POI are two years old. The scam is, according to their own website, "when maps are available." The maps come from a secondary source, as I have twice online chatted with the company. The employee even recognizes they are almost two year old, with no update.

New business open and close, of course they say free map updates, not new POI. Every year my auto GPS has a new map/POI. This is where Auto Android will destroy these companies. Mainly you need a 2015 or newer car and a simple free addition to your car's system and Google maps for free! Yes, you need a data plan, but everyone is giving away data anymore (oh, competition). Car map update are $150 - $350 per car. Again Auto Android will kill that in many cases, just like these personal GPS units. Very unhappy there are no updates, this to me is a outright lie to sell the unit.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I purchased my Magellan GPS online from Walmart and it did not work from the get-go and would not take input addresses. I contacted Magellan Support and received a replacement Magellan Roadmate 5320-LM which worked fine. I then went online to Magellan website looking for a mini wall charger for the Magellan GPS and found one compatible for the Roadmate 5320-LM for $14.95 and ordered it. The first time I used it it would not power up the Magellan. When I unplugged the charger from the wall socket one of the two charger plugs remained in the wall socket. I contacted Magellan and support offered that I purchase a new one for double the cost of my original charger that was less than two months old. Now that is pretty bad!! Next time I will stick to Garmin products. Do not recommend Magellan.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I have been trying to buy (3) car chargers for the RV9490T-LMB GPS at the Magellan Factory Outlet store. They have shipped me twice the wrong charger. It is obvious to me that as a customer buying this Magellan GPS from Camping World was a mistake based on Magellan (Mitac Digital Corp) ability to support the equipment they sell to unsuspecting customer that think that something like this GPS at more than $350 would at least have part support.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I bought a RM-9400 at Fry's in Anaheim in early December 2016 to replace my RM-1700 that worked great for about 6 years. I powered it up indoors and programmed several addresses into the "one touch" memory without any problem. I installed it in my wife's car and took it on the road. The unit kept turning itself off every few minutes. After getting back home I took it inside again and it powered up OK and ran for several hours. Again I put it back in the car and had the same problem. I tried powering it back on, and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. After a week or two, the unit went completely berserk with the screen flashing vertical gray stripes and would not power off even after pulling out the power plug. It eventually powered off after running down the internal battery. I contacted MItac customer service, but they were completely useless.

I took it back to Fry's and exchanged it for a new one. I went through the same set up one the new one without a problem and let it run on my desk for several hours without a problem. As soon as I put it in the car and took it on the road, it turned itself off after only 3 minutes of operation. I removed and reinstalled the power plug each time this happened, but got the same results. I put into another car, and had the same results. My theory is that there is a software bug or a hardware limitation that only shows up when the unit is in motion. My theory is that the internal processor gets much busier when in motion that when it is sitting stationary and suffers a fatal software crash. Of course having it work only on my desk is not very useful! I returned the unit to Fry's and got a Garmin Drivesmart 70. I don't have any results on that one yet. Be forewarned!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I purchased the Magellan Roadmate GPS 2220-LM model at Canadian Tire. It just so happened this GPS was a sale item. However it was still priced at $100.00. I used the GPS and it worked perfectly for the first 6 months. The unit comes with a lifetime of mapping updates. I recently went online and as the company suggested used the SMART GPS ECO. BIG, BIG MISTAKE!!! The mapping updating program wiped out all the download maps and the unit would not work. I contacted the chat line and that was a waste of time. The call server eventually disconnected the call after suggesting I use the content manager site. No idea what that was until I searched online. I called back and the chat representative sent me a recovery, 35 step process to follow. I had my son, the computer genius follow the step by step and when it was time to select the download the unit still did not work.

When I spoke with a service rep because the unit was still under warranty, I was advised they no longer offer this unit as it was discontinued so they offered me a refurbished one model upgrade which if I did not accept, then there was no other recourse because the unit is discontinued. I didn't purchase a used GPS unit from Canadian tire so why am I offered a used, refurbished unit from the company as a replacement. DON'T BUY MAGELLAN!!! Do yourself a favour and buy Garmin. Had one before and it got stolen. This has been a relatively cheap lesson in life... $100 bucks.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Purchased this piece of trash from Canadian tire prior to a vacation to the United States. Carefully followed instructions and unit appeared to be working. Once I got out of the road unit kept turning itself off and back on with query "Do you still want to go to". Tried numerous mounting systems in an attempt to rectify the problem. Left it dormant for two years and now when I try to update it after the near hour download time it has "insufficient space". For the past two years have been using Google maps and writing instructions to necessary locations with no problem and will return to this system as Magellan is ABSOLUTE PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

Cyclo 505 cycling computer - I bought the unit 13 months ago. I noticed some issues with my touch screen. You can see from an angle that some water succeed to get into the unit. Probably sweating when biking, or some light rain. BTW the units is advised that it can be used under rain. I called them and of course one month elapse for the warranty. BUT, worst thing I heard, they DO NOT HAVE A REPAIR SERVICE!!! How can a company be authorized to sell expensive units like that without a service repair, after consumers spend $400 on it!!! Shame on them. As it is for biking, they might think it might get damaged or screen broken or other and we should be able to repair it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

I'm reading a lot here about maps. My gps malfunctioned within two weeks. Will not take a charge from the car's power source. If I could give this product less one star I would. LM must stand for lemon.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

I purchased RoadMate 9400 LM from Canadian Tire on clearance ($109 reduced from $249). I guess I still need to learn that you get what you pay for. The first unit failed multiple times when trying to download map update through Magellan's SmartGPS Eco website. Despite showing huge amount of available space, time and again the map update stalled and declared "insufficient disk space". Online chat was not helpful at all. Having confirmed I actually owned the GPS the solution was to send it to Magellan and they would replace it. Technician advised that failure of map update rendered unit not usable. So, instead I took it back to Canadian Tire. Had I read the many reviews of similar problems and repeated failures I would simply have gotten my money back. Instead, as they had another one in stock, I simply took another one.

So here I am at home again with a near identical repeat of the problem on a second "new in the box" GPS. Map update failure over and over and over. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it gives error of "insufficient disk space", but after 4 hours of trying again and again, I'm just giving up. I'll take it back to Canadian Tire (... who, thankfully will simply refund me my money) and I'll buy a Garmin. After reading the myriad bad reviews I do have to wonder how Magellan is still in business?

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.magellangps.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use