Magellan GPS
1.02/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

169 Magellan GPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been attempting to update the maps on my Magellan GPS since Sept 2018. I've received about 10 emails from their "customer support" instructing me to go to various sites & follow various procedures in order to accomplish an update. All attempts lead to zero update & they finally advised that their "lifetime updates" were only 3 years! Their last email said that I had passed a 14 day limit on my issue number & need to open a new number for my issue. Now they have apparently blocked me from sending their "customer service" any more emails which effectively blocks me from corresponding with "support".

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This is the third Magellan GPS that I have owned over the years. I have been trying to update the software & maps. I use a Mac and the update software from Magellan depends on older versions of software no longer available for my computer. Over the past few years, tech support (especially if you're a Mac user) has ALWAYS been the very last place that this company spends any time and/or resources. When my device worked it never sent me astray. I loved it! Now that I'm trying to do updates to the unit, it depends on an older Safari web browser version, which you can't even install on the computer anymore. "Map updates forever" doesn't mean a darned thing if they can't give you the software to install the updates.

This has made my little unit absolutely worthless. This company's tech support has always been pathetic but it's now slipped into the sub-pathetic category. If you're looking for a stand-alone GPS and you're using a Mac, I would NEVER, EVER recommend this company. I hereby certify that I will no longer have any kind of a relationship with this company. EVER!

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Avoid this company at all costs. Map updates require a third party site, a specific browser, and still do not function. Magellan has no contact phone number and the reason why is obvious. Stick with Garmin or you will most likely regret your purchase, I sure did.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Over the course of 6 months, I have owned 3 different models of Magellan GPS, the last being the dual dashcam and GPS model. All have screen issues. After a one or two, the screen dies. I wish I can give 0 stars. It's really terrible. All 3 GPS, different models have screen issues. Really disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I purchased a RM 5295T Smart GPS in October 2017. The first trip I used it, it missed the address by over 2 miles. So on the way home I put in my address and it missed by 4 blocks. I e-mailed Magellan and the tech said to reset it by pushing the button on the back. There is no reset button on this model. They then told me to try a few other things which did not work. Also none of the 8 squares (weather, Yelp, etc) worked either. They told me to try different things which did not work. I suggested that maybe the unit could be bad. They said they understood my frustration and that they would pass this on to "the highest management" for review.

Needless to say that they quit answering my e-mails and wouldn't answer the phone. I felt like they blocked my numbers. It has been over 8 months since I last heard from them. So last week I turned it on because I like the Bluetooth feature for my cell phone. The Magellan logo came on right away. The map came up 32 miles later and in night mode. About 5 minutes later the day mode came on. When I got home I printed all my correspondence and put that and the unit in an envelope and sent it "the highest management" at Magellan. After reading all the reviews I don't expect to hear anything let alone getting my unit back. Might be for the best-less frustration. And I agree - quit buying their products!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased a new Roadmate for a major road trip this past summer. Throughout the trip, the Roadmate had difficulty getting signals, and when it did, its directions were completely unreliable. In one notable case, we were traveling from Madison, Wisconsin to St Paul, Minnesota. The Magellan gave us directions to travel to Milwaukee, Wisconsin - completely in the opposite direction. When it WAS working, the machine was so sensitive to touch that the least touch would result in a switch to the screen, rendering it impossible to use for navigation while driving.

When I tried to complain, I went online and received a set of instructions which didn't work. When I asked for further assistance, all correspondence ended. I waited 12 days, and emailed them again. No response. I waited another 10 days, and emailed them again. This is now a further 11 days out, and still no response - all told my questions have gone ignored for over a month. And don't try phoning them - they don't have a phone number! Even their shipping agents don't have a phone number for the company. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have used my RoadMate GPS for a few years but have had problems with having just a blue screen on many occasions. Recently the casing was forced open by an expanding battery (big). I have contacted Magellan especially as it's a safety concern. They wanted photos which I sent but have had no response for over two weeks. Updating maps it a non event. Just bought a Garmin GPS and it's so good compared to the Magellan.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I easily use the navigation system on my phone with no problem at all. The Magellan in my Subaru Forester usually won't even load. If it does it usually says it can't locate the address I put in. If it does, it gives obviously wrong directions. It is completely useless. I am really disappointed in this product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I attempted to update maps as many others have and a third party chat support attempted to assist with the process. Their assistance managed to wipe everything from my unit and was unable to restore it. I sent an email to Magellan support advising what had happened. They informed me that Magellan is not affiliated with any third party support and don't do phone or chat support. All support is done through email because email support helps them keep detailed records about all issues in one place and ensures their ability to retain the chain of events as it occurs as well as our communications with their support team. Unfortunately they don't take the time to go through that chain of events.

I received the same instructions 4 times from 2 different techs. None of which worked by the way. Then when they found out it was out of warranty they were done helping all together. I was told "as much as we would like to help you further, we cannot proceed with service repairs since your device is beyond the one-year warranty period." And then went on to recommend that I purchase a new Magellan device. That will never happen and I won't recommend their products to anyone. I did however give them a piece of my mind via email so that they can retain it in their events as they occurred.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Recently I experience the same problem other customers are going through with Magellan GPS unit. I turn on my unit and it read: Unfortunately, SmartGPS Combo has stopped. After several attempts trying to get it to load I called Magellan Technical Support and was surprise that they no longer offer Tech Support :(. I feel that the company should have sent out a e-mail notice to all of existing customers and gave us heads-up warning about their product or their issues they're having within their company! Now, I have spent my hard earn $$ money on another gadget that is no longer useful (junk). I feel that Magellan should offer a refund or replacement of all units that no longer works! I am a registered user and I'm sure they have my e-mail address. I hope all readers who reads this band together. I was always told: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. :)

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I must confess that I am not technically adept but I was able to easily use my previous GPS. I was unable to get the Roadmate to locate an address - it located gas stations, restaurants, etc. but not an address. For a senior the keypad was so small that I was frequently hitting the wrong key - no way I could keep it in the dash holder and type - had to take it down. Downloaded online manual and it was of little to no use to me - bottom line is I cannot use the unit and as they cannot be returned I gave it away.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The advertising sounds good with "Lifetime Map updates". Read the terms, a Magellan lifetime is 3 years. Goes by quickly and then you have a device with inaccurate maps. From what I can see on the website I cannot purchase new updates. Planned obsolescence.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAGELLAN GPS devices!!! their customer service is non-existent. My Magellan GPS was acting up a little, but not to bad, so I downloaded the “Recovery Tool” for my device, followed the instructions exactly, which wiped and reset my device. However, when it was done “recovering”, there were no maps loaded (none at all). Other than that the unit was working great. I connected it to my PC and went to the spartgpseco.com site using the Chrome browser. Logged in, the site recognized my unit, applied a newer firmware update. But when all was done and over, my device still had zero maps loaded.

With no map updates showing on the smartgpseco.com site for my device I was stuck with a GPS that was ready to function, but had no maps to use to do anything. I might as well had a rock for a GPS. I searched for a way to contact support. After a lot of digging I finally found an email address, so opened a ticket on a Sunday mentioning to them that I needed to Travel the following Saturday.

On Tuesday I received a generic email with instructions on how to connect the device to a PC and go to the smartgpseco.com site and do the same steps I had already done. That same day (Tuesday) I tried it again just to be able to say I followed their instructions, then emailed them saying I still had no maps loaded. I did not get any further reply. So on Thursday I messaged support again and asked them to escalate the ticket, since I had to travel in 2 days.

On Friday night, still no follow up from Magellan support. From what I have read from others and from the experience I have had, my guess is that Magellan does not care about their customers beyond the initial sale of the device. I travel tomorrow and will need to buy a new GPS with money I do not have. Needless to say I will not be buying a Magellan ever again and will be telling as many people that will listen of my experience and telling them to not buy a Magellan either. Way to go Magellan, Way to be short sighted and look only for the short sale instead of trying to retain and build lifetime customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Keeps getting lost. Will not recalculate. Wants to route you somewhere else. Complete wrong direction. Then when you get close to your destination - it starts giving correct directions. ME - I'm going to throw it away and purchase a TomTom. Have had 2 of them before and they always worked fine.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered an Magellan Roadmate GPS, model #5375T-LMB, to replace the 8 year old Magellan 2145T GPS I already own but could not update. I did have years of great service from that GPS, but figured it was time to upgrade. Yesterday, 10/1/18 I received my new #5375T GPS. To my surprise, not only are every link supplied for customer support no longer active, I am encountering the exact same problem with linking my computer to the new GPS as I was with my old GPS. I have spent hours trying to just register it, with no luck at all. I even tried a different computer. The SmartGPS ECO program will not load, nor will the Magellan web site even notice the GPS is plugged into my computer. It has me running in a continuous loop.

I called Tech Support twice yesterday and waited on hold for around 45 minutes before I finally became disgusted and hung up. This morning I tried them again, multiple times over the course of two hours (Pacific Time), and kept receiving an answering machine in a language I don't understand. I finally called the company where I ordered the GPS from and talked to one of their Customer Service Reps. He told me the model GPS I ordered is too old to be updated!! This was NOT in the description when I ordered it or I never would have bought it. Besides, it has "Free Lifetime Maps", so why won't the software connect?

Long story short, I can return it for a refund, minus a 15% restocking fee plus I pay return shipping. This is false advertising at the very least, or blatant lies by the company. I have since contacted my credit card company and disputed the sale. Hopefully this will help me get a full refund. I won't ever buy another Magellan product. I hope this helps someone...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Company is trash, the site, the login, the phone numbers, the free updates, contact information is all bogus, there is no way to contact them, either to complain or praise. They do not want contact. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I bought a Magellen RoadMate 3065 LT from Canadian Tire in 2014. I bought it because This unit had Lifetime map upgrade, however Magellan says Lifetime updates mean 3 years. After 3 years of use, the unit is now considered obsolete and not eligible for any map updates. I feel lifetime map updates should be longer than just 3 years! I feel as though I was lied too. They should have advertises 3 years map updates, not lifetime updates.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I tried for 45 minutes to get through to Magellan to purchase a part for the mount for a Roadmate RM2622-LM. There is no parts list available. The warehouse sales page shows the specific GPS, but the mounting accessory shown is obviously the wrong one. When I tried to reach customer service, putting in my email and password several times, it would log me in, and I could update my information. The process to register the new GPS failed because the program download had an error. When I tried several times to get a service request to ask for help to get the part, I kept getting ‘Server Error’ messages. Magellan GPS does not do service!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had two Magellan Roadmates that were 1 yr old and the batteries swelled up 1" and split the units so they didn't work. At that time Magellan had an online chat option so they said send them in by courier and they would replace them ($50 for shipping). That was Jan. 2018. 9 months later and still nothing and there is no way to contact the company. I tried sending emails to the email address they originally provided me but the responses stopped in Feb 2018. STAY AWAY from any of Magellan products! I tell everyone I can to NOT buy any Magellan products.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I started the updates from the office site. It then stopped right in the middle and now I can't use my device at all. It would be nice if someone could contact me so I could send it in for you to fix free of charge being as it was your program that ** it all to hell.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased the 3045 several years ago as my first ever GPS. It served me well as far as I knew, however when it came time to update I was never able to make it work on my iMac. I had the newest OS and I also had two Macs. I wound up giving it to a coworker who used a PC and updated it. A year or so ago I also received a 9616T-LM as a gift. The larger screen and better graphics made it preferable to the 3045 except that it seemed to constantly lose the satellite signals when I was driving. I was also against a brick wall with updates. I did manage to open a dialog with them and they offered to help, something that took several months for them to finally get around to.

I tried what they suggested and hit the same brick wall. My computers do not see the connected units and I wind up on a constant loop of download, install, open and back again. Contacting them seems to have gotten me to a point where they will be having me ship them back to them for an update, although I am currently in the midst of another email thread and don't know the final outcome. Count me as another frustrated owner who thought he was getting the better unit over the other brands out there. Guess I am wrong.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had purchased a Magellan GPS 3045-LM with a lifetime map updates. I have not been able to do an update since the new SmartGPSEco software was implemented although the program tells me that there are updates available, in checking the Magellan website I learned that know they have a disclaimer that the useful life of a GPS is only 3 years hence maps will only be updated during that period as follows:

"Lifetime Maps - For all lifetime map subscriptions, lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. For all lifetime map subscriptions, you will receive map data updates when such updates are made available on Magellan’s website during the device’s useful life for that compatible Magellan device. “Device’s useful life” refers to the period during which the device has all required technical capabilities, including sufficient memory capacity and current operating system, to download and use current map data. A device’s useful life is considered to be a maximum of 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. A device will be considered past its useful life if it is more than 3 years old or if no updates have been downloaded for more than 2 years (24 months)."

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased this Magellan 5230 LM unit because it has both a gps and a dash cam. The first one was for my vehicle and the second was for my wife's car. After about a year they both quit, so I purchased two more after contacting Magellan, even though I was only a few day out of warranty on one of them, they would not help me. I couldn't even send it in for repairs and pay for it myself. Again, just shortly after the warranty period the new gps's failed. All four GPS's had screen problems. If you touched the left corner, it registered as a touch in the middle of the screen. In some parts of the screen it would not detect any presses. They have always been slow starting up right out of the box, and acquiring a signal takes some time.

All four of these units represent quite a investment in one household, everyone failed in the same manner and each time Magellan was extremely unhelpful. I would suggest that you stay away from this model and Magellan products altogether because they love to hide behind their warranty limits even though it is very obvious that they are offering defective items. I will go back to Garmin, I will dig one of my old ones out and I am 100% certain it will work, they just don't have lifetime maps.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been using the Roadmate GPS for a few weeks and found that the map was extremely outdated. I have purchased the device in 2018 but the map was 2004. I tried using their new web based content management to update the map but it kept giving an "insufficient storage" error similar to many others that have reviewed the Magellan devices. After countless hours of trial and error I was finally able to create a workaround that would fix the issue. For everyone else that has been tortured by this issue I created a YouTube video to help you out: **. Magellan needs to get its act together and find a viable solution as their technical support team is nonresponsive.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased a RoadMate GPS unit at Best Buy in Houston TX more than a year ago. I did so because I liked the bigger display and the panorama screen. The imagery was attractive and the onscreen navigation intuitive. I was a happy customer in the making. Until I wasn't. Problem #1. Updating maps. A nightmare. A third-party website without logical, understandable instructions. Downloads that failed. Failure that screwed up the operating system. Ultimately requiring a complete reinstall of both operating system + maps. Called customer support. Horrible experience.

Ultimately, the reinstall failed and I returned the unit for a replacement - a rebuilt, used RoadMate. It was better. For a season. Then it wasn't. The touchscreen stopped working. No way to enter data. Unusable. A few days of un-use and then a reprieve. It fixed itself. For a day. Yesterday, I jumped in my Tahoe to discover the unit case had split apart having been pushed apart by a exploded battery. A 1/2 inch gap now prevented the screen front from attaching to the rear portion of the unit.

Called customer support. Third-party, overseas, reps reading from a script. Useless. When I pressed them for a solution, they hung up on me. I called back. 2nd guy hung up on me. 3rd guy told me stuff that was untrue. Done with Magellan. Worse than Comcast. (Never thought I would say that.) I'm taking my split-apart Magellan RoadMate to the driving range tomorrow and will tee it up for a beating with my driver. Wanna watch? Hello Garmin. here I come.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My uncle gave my mother a Magellan RoadMate 5120-LMTX. You have to use the SmartGPSEco.com website to update map. The plug-in only works for Chrome web browser and not Firefox even though it is suppose to work for both. Even when the plugin works, it takes forever to download the map. The plugin and/or website doesn't recognize that the 5120 is plugged in even though I am using a mini USB data cable that came with a newer Garmin GPS. The link for their Recovery Tool software is broken. Overall an awful experience.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am trying to use the Magellan update manager to update my Magellan GPS Roadmate 2036 and have not had any success installing the software on my machine. The logs are cryptic, the error messages are worse and customer support (god knows where they are) wants to have remote session to your machine which is not acceptable to many people in this age of security hacks. I will continue to examine their software and try to solve the problem myself. It would be nice if they can tell you anywhere how to trace and debug the software. We do not need, God who knows who with strange accents and not very trustworthy names, to access our devices where we keep our financial information and other things. Grow up Magellan if you want to compete.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the Roadmate 5120-LMTX for years. Trying to get the content manager to recognize the GPS unit or even logging into my account fails every time. Recently I learned of a new content management site set up for replacing on computer Content Manager program. Went there, registered, had to download a file to install so the site could recognize my GPS device. Did that, installed ok, rebooted computer, went to site again and my GPS is not seen or recognized by the site. Went through reinstalling the file as recommended, retried on the website without success. SO MUCH FOR MAGELLAN GPS LIFETIME UPDATES!!! Thales Navigation is terrible at supporting their products and I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING Magellan again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We have owned a Magellan Road Mate vehicle GPS for several years. The left side of the touchscreen suddenly became unresponsive so we are unable to use the 'back' button and a number of letters on the keyboard to type in locations. Contacting someone at Magellan proved to be very difficult. Their customer service line is disconnected, no one answers the phone at their head office, and it took one week to get a response to our online request for assistance. In the end, we were told that Magellan does not provide help to customers 12 months after the purchase date. Overall, exceptionally poor customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Their support number is disconnected, they do not answer emails to support, they do not monitor their social media. In fact it is not updated for months. The lifetime maps will not download. Their local BBB sent them my complaint and they did not respond to either of two BBB communications over a 60 day period. I have to conclude they are out of business. My recommendation is to try to contact them before you give them your money. There are a lot of better choices in my opinion that hold a lot less risk.

Magellan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

• Best for: vehicle, RV and commercial vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs