Magellan GPS

Magellan GPS

3.9/5 (360 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Magellan GPS

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Magellan GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan GPS?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

This company has isolated itself so that you cannot get any information from a live person. You cannot talk to anyone in "customer service" nor can you contact the company's headquarters. They run you around websites that don't give you any information at all. The TR7 is NOT USER FRIENDLY at all. I'm giving up and I'm going to package it up and send it back to them. I would caution anyone to not purchase this GPS, it will drive you crazy trying to use it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

This model discontinued. Easy to use. Occasionally led me astray. Promised lifetime updates, as device got more fallible. Contacted company, tried to be helpful. However, after ten years my map cannot be updated as device not able to handle data on the newer maps. Served me adequately for the most part but has a finite useful life.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

Bought a Magellan RV GPS years ago - worked great when it was new. Tried to upgrade it - didn't work. Contacted Magellan - they tried to help me upgrade it, then sent me a 'refurbished one' - can't upgrade this one - no matter what I try. I hate this GPS - doesn't work; doesn't have latest maps, etc. Their customer service sucks BIG TIME. Won't buy another - will try Garmin next. Need an RV GPS with a free lifetime map upgrades that actually work!

Original review: April 30, 2021

I purchased a Roadmate GPS from Magellan and have had nothing but problems for the last year. I have tried to contact support but there are no live persons to answer a phone and no one responds to the online request for support. I would never buy another product from this company! A company that does not respond to their customers are useless for support after the sale. I would suggest any other GPS unit but not a Magellan!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GPS DEVICE!!! It is expensive and lacks field versatility. Navigation to off road GPS coordinates is not possible with this device. Tech Support exists via email only and is based outside of the Americas. This form of tech support is largely ineffective, non-responsive, one dimensional, and very frustrating. Using the street navigation is all but worthless. Buy at your own peril..

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

This handheld GPS is 10 years old. It was expensive. My discs don't work in newer PCs. Like others have already stated, this company offers no support. This is unacceptable. You can't email then they just send you in circles. Very frustrating. I'll never buy again or recommend this brand to anyone. Shame on Magellan.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Magellan has to be the worst comp for product support that I have ever had to deal with. When you go to "contact us", you get nothing but Q&A or get passed back to "contact us". They do not leave an email address that allows you to send them a question or a phone number to talk to anyone. May as well throw out this unit they made and get a GPS from a reputable company. Simply put,.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

To upgrade maps on a Magellan Roadmate GPS, the website magellangps.com is used. A plugin called mgncontentmanager.msi by MiTac Digital Corp is supposed to be used. The plugin did not work on any of my computers. I tried to get help at magellangps.com in a chat but they kept insisting on a telephone number which I did not want to give. I could not get help otherwise. Therefore, I had a product and service from magellangps.com that was totally unsatisfactory.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I received the unit as a gift. I followed the instructions to update the software before use. I hooked it to my computer and started the update. It failed due to "no more room". After this, none of my computers (Win 10/Win 8/Win Vista) would recognize the unit. I contacted customer support. They sent one response to:

1. Soft reset the unit – Press and hold the power button for a few seconds to turn the device off. Then, press and hold the power button again to turn the device on.
    2. Hard reset the unit – Poke the reset hole located at the back of the device, on the lower right corner.
    Please note: Once you poke the reset hole, the device will restart with the factory defaults loaded.

3. Re-initiate the update – You may refer to the link below for the instructions on how to properly install an update via SmartGPS Eco website:

In my initial contact to them, I told them I had tried both hard and soft resets. I was hospitalized in the middle of this and after returning home and trying to resume getting this process, I have been told that the unit is out of warranty and that I need to buy a new one. I can assure you, with this level of customer service and care for those who have their devices, I will NEVER purchase Magellan products, nor will I use them..paper maps give better service!

Original review: May 29, 2020

I just experienced scam from this company's web. Because I have an old 1700 Magellan GPS and I would like to update online. It was on a long weekend in US. Someone made a app to get my phone from Magellan's web. This company do not have phone number to contact to and give someone an opportunity to scam royalty Magellan's customers. Here is the phone number from scam:8006239204, **. I cannot to get hold with magellan, and just want every aware when you are try to update your GPS from Magellan.

Magellan author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1986, Magellan is a global positioning system (GPS) company specializing in consumer navigation electronics. Magellan has over 200 patented products, including on- and off-road vehicle navigation systems; dash cameras; RV navigation; fleet navigation for trucks, buses and vans; as well as a whole line of handheld navigation devices and GPS watches.

• RoadMate vehicle GPS: Magellan offers several products in its RoadMate line, including the Auto Series, RV Series and Commercial Series. The Auto Series is intended for consumers to use in their personal vehicles, while the RV Series is specifically designed to make RV trips more enjoyable and safe. Consumers with a fleet of vehicles and professional drivers can benefit from the Commercial Series with truck-specific features.

• Off-road navigation: Many GPS companies only offer navigation on streets and residential areas, but Magellan also offers thorough maps for off-road navigation and exploration. These can be used in vehicles or worn for hiking and other activities.

• MiVue dash cameras: Magellan offers a line of dash cameras at various price points for consumers interested in increasing safety. Some features of the MiVue dash cameras include a low light display, expandable memory, HD resolution, departure lane warning and parking guard.

• 60-day map guarantee: Consumers who purchase specific Magellan navigation devices are entitled to update their device’s map free of charge if the company issues a new map update within 60 days of the original purchase date. All other updates can be purchased through the website.

• Customer support services: Magellan offers a variety of customer support services including product registration, warranty, repairs, returns, product recycling, manual and software downloads, and troubleshooting. Customer service representatives are available via live chat, email, or telephone and you can also search an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section on their website.

Magellan GPS Company Information