4.09/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Auto Crane

Auto Crane engineers, designs, and manufactures an extensive line of truck-mounted electric and hydraulic cranes, crane bodies, and other accessories. Our products are recognized worldwide and serve in multiple industries, from mining and construction to the railroad industry. Auto Crane is an industry leader and our main focus is to serve our customers with products that serve a meaningful benefit. Contact us today to learn more about our products.

44 Auto Crane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 9, 2018

HC8x - I have had Multiple service truck with crane and by far the Auto Crane utility body crane combo is one of the best product on the market. The Technology in the crane make operation a lot easier and safer for the user. The service body is extremely durable watertight with ample storage. Auto Crane customer support is top notch. I can’t wait Until the HC10x is Release so that I can build a larger service truck with the best crane and body technology on the market.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

We've been a dealer for Auto Crane for a long time and they've had a couple of changes with personnel over the years. There was a sales rep we had for quite some time but we have a new guy now, Willie, and he's really good. Auto Crane provides us cranes and, primarily, we've been selling the parts and service. We have purchased a lot of cranes over the years but not as much anymore because of the recession here. Also, we have had all kinds of opportunities dealing with competitive products but we made a decision long ago that we would stick by Auto Crane. We've always been satisfied with the product line and the service that we get from them.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I've been distributing Auto Crane’s product for 25 years. They have improved the product over recent years. It was a good product then they went down for a while, and then it came back. It's a good product right now. But my interaction with their sales rep has been middling and they need to improve their communication and response.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We have been using Auto Crane for six years now and we work with the dealers where we got the 3-ton cranes from. Although the crane itself was okay, we had a lot of rust problem on the bodies of the first Auto Cranes we bought, especially in the islands where we get a lot of salt air. The body didn't hold up well and we had a lot of water leakage problem from where the crane mounts to the body, so it would flood and the floor would rot away. We had to do bodywork in the cabinet. The last go around, we ended up with an IMT crane and and we still have several Auto Cranes in a freight but we would still consider them if the need arises.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We were a full Auto Crane dealer for a number of years. We purchased the cranes from the company and installed them on our customers' equipment. I didn’t have any problem with the product and anytime I needed some help or when I had issues, their customer service gave me some support. They had a few discrepancies as far as their design went, but they were working at it. Auto Crane was a good company overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Crane?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We’ve been dealing with Auto Crane for a number of years for cranes to crane parts. The communication with their sales reps was good as far as getting something quoted. I emailed them most of the time and they responded in a reasonable time. They told me if the parts were in stock or not. So, if I ordered something, I kept the PO once they gave me a confirmation. But the shipping and the parts are substandard. The service and turnaround are very slow and it is hard to get parts. I had to follow up to find out that they didn’t ship anything. They told me the part wasn’t in stock after all and it was going to be in three months. Buying parts from them is not a favorable thing for me.

Last week, I ordered a pump and motor. They said they had it in stock and I waited three days. I called them back and they told me that my order would not be shipped for two weeks. I didn’t like the way that they used the service queues. If somebody set up that responds in an email fairly quickly, that’s usually the person I will use and contact all the time but it’s random. They go to these service queues now, so I may not hear an answer for another 24 hours. Expediting an order is like pulling teeth. The part gets shipped on the same schedule as regular parts order and I have to pay more money.

I’m very dissatisfied with my experience. I buy a lot of crane parts and my biggest issue is trying to order the parts in a timely fashion. Communication is the next issue. I’d rather have the shipping, communication, and turnaround so that it’s 24 hours. I’d like to get that fixed so that I can continue to buy parts on a regular basis. And if they shipped me something wrong, they wanted me to jump through hoops and measure everything when it was their responsibility to tell me that. They could have told me that they went back and checked on the factory floor and that they shipped the wrong parts. Auto Crane wouldn’t be my first choice unless they get their act cleaned up. Their product is fairly decent but their service sucks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

35 years ago, I worked for a company that used Auto Crane. We had some problems with them and we moved on to some different types of cranes and just never went back to them. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve had an Auto Crane. The last one we bought was from Tebco.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We're a vendor company and as far as my other vendors go, Auto Crane does a great job. We've dealt with their hydraulic cranes before but we normally deal with their electric cranes. I call Auto Crane and talk to one of the parts guys, but sometimes, I’ll just send POs in through email. Their customer service is good and my experience with them has been great.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I deal with Auto Crane under the parts department of our company. We became a distributor for Auto Crane because of the requests that we were getting. And I take care of any request on parts, whether it’s through a resource of them reaching out to Auto Crane, and then, Auto Crane refers us since we’re a master distributor for them. And my experience has been fairly good for the most part. I like that I can press 1 and then they would call me back without having to stay on hold. But as far as the acquisition and getting things completed correctly, I found out the hard way that Auto Crane has a situation with expediting parts. It happened when one of my biggest customers had done an overnight, and it wasn’t pushed out the door for three days since I didn’t know anything about what expedite meant. And then, there was six percent charge on top of that.

It wasn’t a good thing for us. But now, any time I need to do it, I have to inform my customer that it’s an extra six percent on top of the entire cost to get it out the same day. I’ve had feedback from two of my larger customers with that and it wasn’t good. I’m a distributor for 35 companies and Auto Crane is the only one that does that. It's a little rich just to have something overnighted, and that’s not just coming from me. I’ve experienced that with the end-user customer base as I have to share that with them. And I cannot ignore that because I’m competing against other market or people out there trying to get pricing, especially with municipalities.

But other than that, Auto Crane is a top-notch company and I like the people I work with, generally. The sales representatives, Rocky and Dustin, were fantastic and they're on top of their game. Every time I call them, they have the answers, which in this day and age, is great. They always get back to me in a timely manner.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Our company had used Auto Crane years ago on service trucks. We have a concrete paver that came with it when we bought it. We get parts through a local dealer, but not directly with Auto Crane. We are currently using a different brand, but there are a few Auto Cranes in our fleet still in service. Moreover, I would definitely consider them if I was making a new purchase. They’re well-built and have a lot of nice options and features on them. I would definitely give them a fair shake when comparing them to other models.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We’ve been Auto Crane customers for 15 years and we primarily use them for their cranes and service bodies. They’ve been really adaptable and have helped us develop our own product lines. They’re willing to build custom equipment and custom packages specifically for us, so they’ve been very helpful in helping us meet our customers’ needs. We’ve had excellent interactions with their reps and we got such a close relationship with them already that we typically share everything directly with them anytime we have any issues and they are responsive.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Auto Crane has quality products. They provide us air compressors, cranes, crane bodies, and Ramsey Winch products. I've been impressed with the salesmen’s sincerity and with their wanting to support us. We buy a whole lot of parts from them on a daily basis. And two months ago, we bought an air compressor.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Auto Crane has great products and we've had them on our trucks forever. I've been with our company for 40 years and I've seen their products on our trucks for that long. We deal with their dealer down here and they're very nice people. We got their truck cranes and they work. I like them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Our primary dealership is a dealer of Auto Crane. Our parent company was doing it so we kind of inherited it when we opened up this store in 2014. In the past, we were getting a lot of wrong stuff sent to us and it was a little bit difficult. But it seems like they’ve corrected that and our interactions for the past six months or so have been better. We're going to continue selling their product and we would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We've been selling Auto Crane (truck mounted cranes) now for 10 years. Overall, they're decent and they offer quality products and I’m satisfied with their service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We’ve partnered up with Auto Crane for years now and it’s been great with them. They do bodies and cranes for us. We’ve got the HC-5, HC-6 and we've even done a few HC-10s. Also, any issues that we’ve had have been addressed in a timely manner. Their rep Mike has been a huge help in identifying and correcting the problem too. He also came out here to train the guys. Everything that Auto Crane has given us has been good. I would definitely work with them again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I’ve been using Auto Crane on my crops for a while. I build units all over the US and I put them on the crane to transport them from Louisville. I consulted their reps that I met at the National Truck Equipment Show that takes place every year and they did pretty well. I use a lot of their Econo-Ton-II units on a mechanic install truck. We have to use a lot of wind energy, wind technician, and saw trucks for what we do, so we can’t use a very big crane. We try to keep our chassis under 10,000 pounds and put the maximum crane we can for that chassis.

I like Auto Crane and it is important to me that their unit is more compact because I had an issue with transport when the Econo-Ton unit that was over the top of the roof of the truck slipped off quite a bit on a high ride hike. We compensated that by putting a storage box underneath. But we would like to see the crane to be a bit more level or perpendicular so that we could load it up without having to plaster it or worry about touching or swinging it around. So far, once the Auto Crane unit is on the field, it gets the job done and I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Auto Crane response

Thanks for your feedback, Steve — we really appreciate your business. Please let us know if you need any support/service.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have been in the business a while doing work trucks and we have Auto Crane cranes. Auto Crane is very specialized and they're the only source for parts for the cranes that they manufacture. When I deal with their sales reps, it was always done through email but we've always had a good relationship and everything works fine. My customers also own Auto cranes and we talk about them especially when they need parts and service. And if a friend was looking for a truck-mounted crane, I would recommend Auto Crane to them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Auto Crane's customer service representatives were knowledgeable and courteous. Sometimes, the speed in which they get back to you would be 10 minutes and sometimes it takes a couple of days. Even so, I would absolutely use Auto Crane again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I've always known about Auto Crane. I called them and got some prices on some cranes. They were very helpful and it was a good experience. If I have specific needs in the future, I would consider working with them.

Auto Crane response

Thank you for your feedback, Trent. Please let us know how we can serve you in the coming new year — we have some pretty amazing innovations coming out.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I bought a used Auto Crane which I use for stone products. Their sales reps were friendly, but they didn't follow through on a lot of stuff and they kept putting it off. I kept having to call them to keep things moving along otherwise, I may still be waiting for the truck and for them to do what they needed to have done. In addition, their controllers are worth $100, but they sell it for $1,250. They don't last, they're made cheap and the wires break on them. I have two of them so that when the one breaks down, at least I got another one so I can get the other one fixed. It is ridiculous that a company could sell a brand new $15,000-$16,000 crane and put little quality into it. They need to put some quality into their products, especially their pendants. Also, I'm not satisfied because the people that installed it didn't do the installation properly. It's been a bad whole deal and I'm thinking about selling it. I will never buy another Auto Crane again. Stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We've been dealing with Auto Crane for years. They're a big name in the business. We buy cranes from them and a lot of parts as well. They're definitely quality crane and worth the investment. Their staff is great and they are knowledgeable people. And Rocky is the best guy at Auto Crane. The only concern I have about Auto Cranes is getting through them. As far as the queue, I was going to get redirected to a thing or they will call us back. It is a little bit time consuming trying to get a hold of a live person.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Auto Crane is a company we had done business with at one time. They were a prospect and we were trying to sell them some hardware items and rubber seals. They're a solid company and we'd consider working with them again.

Auto Crane response

Thank you for your feedback, Darin — we value all of our business partners and relationships and we work hard to maintain quality and integrity.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Auto Crane is one of our vendors and we started dealing with them in 1998. They provide hydraulic cranes and parts for us, and our transactions with them are all pretty straightforward. We send orders in and they ship the parts out. They're making good products and they're pretty good to deal with. Also, their system for getting back to our request, especially through email, has gotten a lot better over the last eight months. So whatever change they've implemented has been helping. We'd continue to deal with them as long as they didn't screw things up.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Having a very difficult time finding parts and service in the Kansas City area. I've been in communication with Knapheide for over a month and they still don't even have the parts in to repair our auto crane. Just found Truck Utilities and left service a voicemail, we will see if truly a Auto Crane dealer and service center!!!

Auto Crane response

Thanks for the review, Kenneth - we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your Auto Crane experience. We apologize that you had a negative experience - this isn't typical of receiving parts/service from Auto Crane and its dealer network. Please reach out to our parts/technical support at 800-777-2760 so we can get you taken care of.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Your Legacy Manual section is inadequate. Many customers have older cranes and models not listed on your web site. Prior to conversion, though the manuals were inaccurate, the legacy section provided a basis for direction and information.

Auto Crane response

Thanks for the review, Stew - we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your Auto Crane experience. We apologize that you had a negative experience - our website is currently being updated and the legacy manuals section is a section that is being completed as quickly as possible with accurate information. In the meantime, please reach out to our parts/technical support at 800-777-2760

Original review: July 4, 2017

I work for a Caterpillar dealer and we purchase Auto Crane bodies for our service trucks. The sales representative was outstanding and superior to any of our vendors. Tyler would go out of his way to make sure that we understood exactly what kind of product offerings that they have. He's right there with anything that he can help us with.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We buy service trucks from Auto Crane. We got one last month, one a month before, and another one coming this week. They have a good product at a good price. I work with one of their reps and so far, everything has been good. Auto Crane is pretty much on top of the market right now so we're happy with them.

Auto Crane response

Thanks for your feedback Tim, we're dedicated to bring you excellent service and support well into 2018 and beyond.

Original review: June 20, 2017

We've bought all the bodies and cranes that Auto Crane produced. We buy their whole line and our company has been in business with them for 30 years. At first, it was weird working with them. They had different salesmen and they were a smaller company back then. But, I was dealing with an end-user so I didn't buy directly from them. Overall, they seem to be a good company. The prices are in line and very reasonable. They're easy to deal with and their invoicing is okay and not too many errors. And when it comes to their warranty, they stand by their products.

Auto Crane response

Thank you for your feedback Wayne - Auto Crane is celebrating 60 years in business and it's partnering with customers/dealers like you that makes all the difference.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I've been working with Auto Crane since 2011 and it's been great. They have great communication and people skills. They get along with everybody just fine. They handle themselves in a professional manner as well. They have provided truck bodies and the crane for service trucks for our fleet. They have definitely increased their quality over the years since we originally started dealing with them. And they’ve worked very well with us. Anytime we brought any concerns to the table or had some quality control issues, they step right up and brought their engineering team on to take care of those issues or change them for future builds. So, they've done a great job with that. And anytime we had any changes in our needs for their product, they've been more willing to bend over backwards to make that happen. It's been a pretty seamless experience and no problems at all.

Auto Crane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Auto Crane is a Tulsa, Oklahoma-based crane design, engineering and manufacturing company. Established in 1958, Auto Crane specializes in truck-mounted electric and hydraulic cranes, crane control technologies, crane bodies and accessories. Auto Crane has clients around the world and is recognized as a crane industry leader. Auto Crane is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ramsey Industries.

• Work-ready trucks: Auto Crane sells fully-loaded, new and used work-ready trucks pre-mounted with Auto Crane’s hydraulic or electric cranes, including Dodge 5500 and Dodge Ram 5500 trucks, Ford F-550 and Ford F-750 trucks, Freightliner, Kenworth and Peterbilt.

• Warranty options: Auto Crane offers a two-year limited warranty on parts and labor for all service cranes. Crane bodies are warranted for five years against rusting and defects in hinges. Replacement parts are also covered by a one-year limited warranty against defects in material and workmanship.

• Technical support: Auto Crane technicians are available to answer questions, provide support and help you locate parts to service your vehicle. Simply fill out the contact form on the website to create a ticket or call the number listed to speak to someone right away.

• Dealer portal: Auto Crane provides support services specifically for its authorized work truck dealers through its online Dealer Portal. Authorized dealers receive secure log-in credentials to access this portion of Auto Crane’s website.

• Online inventory: You can visit Auto Crane’s website at any time to view its available inventory of work-ready trucks. The inventory is searchable by vehicle year, make and model, crane type or cab style.

• Industry leader: Auto Crane is known as a leader in the crane industry, with many industry innovations including the first electric cable crane, the first fully hydraulic line of service cranes and the first electric over hydraulic service crane. All of these features were engineered to give operators more control, versatility and power in their lifts.

• Best for: those in industrial occupations who need truck-mounted cranes and dealers who sell work trucks.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs