Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Magellan GPS

Magellan GPS
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.32/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Magellan GPS Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased this GPS because it advertised a lifetime map upgrade. In trying to upgrade it I found that no upgraded maps were offered for this model. Practically impossible to find a number to call so I emailed a customer service agent. She asked me to provide proof that lifetime maps were offered on this model. Thankfully I kept the box which advertised the lifetime upgrades so I was able to email a picture. That's the last I heard from customer service or anyone else from Magellan. I attempted to email several times with no responses to emails. After reading several reviews it seems I am not the only one experiencing this lack of service. Seems this is a common practice with this company. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Magellan.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Magellan's support website states that "Lifetime" Map Updates are only guaranteed for three years from date of purchase. Contacted support and got this response: “Please note that your unit has the latest map version 61 installed. Due to that, there will be no longer map update available for your unit. This is due to the technological advances in mapping data over that past few years. The size of the mapping data is too great to be handled by the older hardware. We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below: https://www.magellangps.com/store/.”

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received this unit for Christmas. It worked well for a while then for some reason the time switched to PM and the clock showed an incorrect time. I have tried everything I know to change it. I even called the 800 support number to be told they no longer support the phone number. If you are going to purchase a GPS after market unit I suggest you stay away from this model.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Magellan sold 10s of 1000s of units with the lifetime map upgrades. They are trying not to honor the deal saying the memory is too small for current maps. They make the size of the files which hold updated maps. This is a way for them to try and not honor lifetime map agreements. If they are treating others this way - this deserves a class action suit to filed against Magellan GPS.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

The navigation choices just to set up initial product are ridiculous. This was purchased for a family member needing simplicity in getting to destinations without a hassle. Instead of convincing them to use cell phone, I bought this. I pre programmed, so I thought, the destination, any stops, and return directions. I set the home address and pointed out the one touch option.

The product I bought for simplicity was a nightmare for my family. I attempted to redeem myself by going to the website and making sure I had done everything to make the product most efficient. Long story short, I found myself here after wasting 2 hours researching a terrible product with a terrible website. Lesson Learned. Do not buy this crap!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I own two Magellan GPS. One is model # 5230T-LM. Worked great until one day it just didn't. Tried everything to restart it and nothing helped. Contacted SUPPORT and was sent an impossible to follow link to restart it. I even asked computer savvy people to try for me. Could not be done. Still waiting for that help to come through.

My older model # 1440 GPS I've been using while unable to use the newer one, is now unusable since I tried to update MAPS. It is completely blank due to the failed download. Got different pop up messages telling me there wasn't enough storage for the download, though there is. Spent many hours trying to update to no avail. Finally on my son's Apple computer he was able to download the map and still got no updated map because the site said the GPS wasn't connected to the computer, though it was and the unit showed it being connected. Same thing on his tablet. I reported problems with their site many times over the years and have yet to see anything fixed. The support with MAGELLAN is lacking and no excuse for two purchased units to be not working.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Have to agree with previous posts about backup and support. I too tried to update my maps on my RV9365T. Really important for me to have a current updated set of maps because I tow a car behind my RV and cannot back up if I go wrong somewhere. Bought this unit a little over a year ago and planning for some long distance trips starting in February. Like others I found out that because my IMAC is up to date with the latest O/S, Magellan doesn't support it, so there is no way you can run the content manager anymore.

As far as I can establish the only way I can get this to work is for me to revert to an earlier O/S because you can't just re-install an old browser in isolation without a whole lot of aggravation. So not worth it for me. I'm figuring I'm going to have to write this off as a bad buy and go elsewhere. I certainly would not recommend Magellan anymore, because if they just don't have the IT horsepower to keep up with frequent updates in PC operating systems/browsers then you should steer clear of them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

By far the worst ever experience with their "support". No phone number, updates don't work. Plus I just learned that I bought into their scam of a 'lifetime' subscription. Now they changed it to 3 years!!! Maybe that is how long this scam venture should survive. Never Magellan products again...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been attempting to update the maps on my Magellan GPS since Sept 2018. I've received about 10 emails from their "customer support" instructing me to go to various sites & follow various procedures in order to accomplish an update. All attempts lead to zero update & they finally advised that their "lifetime updates" were only 3 years! Their last email said that I had passed a 14 day limit on my issue number & need to open a new number for my issue. Now they have apparently blocked me from sending their "customer service" any more emails which effectively blocks me from corresponding with "support".

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This is the third Magellan GPS that I have owned over the years. I have been trying to update the software & maps. I use a Mac and the update software from Magellan depends on older versions of software no longer available for my computer. Over the past few years, tech support (especially if you're a Mac user) has ALWAYS been the very last place that this company spends any time and/or resources. When my device worked it never sent me astray. I loved it! Now that I'm trying to do updates to the unit, it depends on an older Safari web browser version, which you can't even install on the computer anymore. "Map updates forever" doesn't mean a darned thing if they can't give you the software to install the updates.

This has made my little unit absolutely worthless. This company's tech support has always been pathetic but it's now slipped into the sub-pathetic category. If you're looking for a stand-alone GPS and you're using a Mac, I would NEVER, EVER recommend this company. I hereby certify that I will no longer have any kind of a relationship with this company. EVER!

Magellan GPS Company Information