Magellan GPS

Magellan GPS
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.16/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Magellan GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan GPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: June 13, 2019

Bought unit for the Lifetime Map updates. This is not true, it is only 3 years. First time I got to update maps, process did not work. Emailed Magellan support, followed their instructions: delete Map folder, back up, format. Still has insufficient space issue, now I have no map folder, so I have no GPS. Magellan solution, buy a new unit. Never again!

Original review: June 3, 2019

Software update crashed the hard drive on my current 5045-LM GPS. MANY attempted fixes, later it was deemed UN-repairable by their tech support. Convinced me to buy a new one 5520-LM. So I did, got it, opened the box and tried to set it up. It will NOT recognize my time zone. I live in Ontario Canada and for the time zone to be correct I need to manually choose Singapore...?

14 emails later and countless hours of back and fourths they simply stopped communicating with me and now I am stuck with 2 of their GPS units that are broken and UN-usable. One is 100% damaged beyond all repair due to one of their very own software updates and another arrive broken. Their suggestion, re-install new software and maps on the NEW GPS device. Why, the unit is brand new out of the box. I am so disgusted and I will not stop until I get some answers. I have left numerous messages on their corporate HR and Marketing voicemails and no one has had the common courtesy to even return my calls. I have NEVER in my 48 years ever experience such disrespect and total lack of service from any company.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We paid $400 for a Magellan GPS. It did not charge from day one. We called multiple time to get help to no avail. They do not stand by their product. They did not offer to repair or replace it. This is what they say "We suggest purchasing a brand new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. This way, you’ll have a working device at your earliest convenience." HA HA. What a joke! Why on earth would I even consider purchasing another Magellan when the 1st one didn't work. Anyway, I recommend you doing full research and reviewing GARMIN or Rand McNally options. We have used both and they worked far better. Good luck in your hunt for a good, reliable GPS.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased this GPS because it advertised a lifetime map upgrade. In trying to upgrade it I found that no upgraded maps were offered for this model. Practically impossible to find a number to call so I emailed a customer service agent. She asked me to provide proof that lifetime maps were offered on this model. Thankfully I kept the box which advertised the lifetime upgrades so I was able to email a picture. That's the last I heard from customer service or anyone else from Magellan. I attempted to email several times with no responses to emails. After reading several reviews it seems I am not the only one experiencing this lack of service. Seems this is a common practice with this company. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Magellan.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Magellan's support website states that "Lifetime" Map Updates are only guaranteed for three years from date of purchase. Contacted support and got this response: “Please note that your unit has the latest map version 61 installed. Due to that, there will be no longer map update available for your unit. This is due to the technological advances in mapping data over that past few years. The size of the mapping data is too great to be handled by the older hardware. We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below: https://www.magellangps.com/store/.”

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received this unit for Christmas. It worked well for a while then for some reason the time switched to PM and the clock showed an incorrect time. I have tried everything I know to change it. I even called the 800 support number to be told they no longer support the phone number. If you are going to purchase a GPS after market unit I suggest you stay away from this model.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Magellan sold 10s of 1000s of units with the lifetime map upgrades. They are trying not to honor the deal saying the memory is too small for current maps. They make the size of the files which hold updated maps. This is a way for them to try and not honor lifetime map agreements. If they are treating others this way - this deserves a class action suit to filed against Magellan GPS.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

The navigation choices just to set up initial product are ridiculous. This was purchased for a family member needing simplicity in getting to destinations without a hassle. Instead of convincing them to use cell phone, I bought this. I pre programmed, so I thought, the destination, any stops, and return directions. I set the home address and pointed out the one touch option.

The product I bought for simplicity was a nightmare for my family. I attempted to redeem myself by going to the website and making sure I had done everything to make the product most efficient. Long story short, I found myself here after wasting 2 hours researching a terrible product with a terrible website. Lesson Learned. Do not buy this crap!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I own two Magellan GPS. One is model # 5230T-LM. Worked great until one day it just didn't. Tried everything to restart it and nothing helped. Contacted SUPPORT and was sent an impossible to follow link to restart it. I even asked computer savvy people to try for me. Could not be done. Still waiting for that help to come through.

My older model # 1440 GPS I've been using while unable to use the newer one, is now unusable since I tried to update MAPS. It is completely blank due to the failed download. Got different pop up messages telling me there wasn't enough storage for the download, though there is. Spent many hours trying to update to no avail. Finally on my son's Apple computer he was able to download the map and still got no updated map because the site said the GPS wasn't connected to the computer, though it was and the unit showed it being connected. Same thing on his tablet. I reported problems with their site many times over the years and have yet to see anything fixed. The support with MAGELLAN is lacking and no excuse for two purchased units to be not working.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Have to agree with previous posts about backup and support. I too tried to update my maps on my RV9365T. Really important for me to have a current updated set of maps because I tow a car behind my RV and cannot back up if I go wrong somewhere. Bought this unit a little over a year ago and planning for some long distance trips starting in February. Like others I found out that because my IMAC is up to date with the latest O/S, Magellan doesn't support it, so there is no way you can run the content manager anymore.

As far as I can establish the only way I can get this to work is for me to revert to an earlier O/S because you can't just re-install an old browser in isolation without a whole lot of aggravation. So not worth it for me. I'm figuring I'm going to have to write this off as a bad buy and go elsewhere. I certainly would not recommend Magellan anymore, because if they just don't have the IT horsepower to keep up with frequent updates in PC operating systems/browsers then you should steer clear of them.

Magellan GPS Company Information