Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner

Magellan GPS

4.1/5 (165 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Magellan GPS

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Magellan GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan GPS?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magellan?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Hi There, I have bought two GPS from this company. Within a short period both of them busted with blank screen. Also the cable, the pin dropped out for no reason. The GPS were pretty expensive, around 150$ each. None of the warranty have been honored, very frustrating. Not only that, the 'life long map updates' Printed in bold letters on both GPS, really is just fraudulent advertising. When the GPS worked (which was just a short period), I couldn't get the updates to work. Very frustrating. I recommend people buy from other companies which have are more ethical.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Magellan GPS: Friends, do not purchase a gps from magellan if you are in the market for one. I went to update mine, as I had "free lifetime map updates" when I first bought it. It wouldn't work. Apparently, if your computer software is too recent, it won't work with it. As a matter of fact, their customer "service" person sucked, and I was actually asked: "Can't you take it to a friend's house to do it?" yeah. Load magellan stuff onto your friends computer (as long as he hasn't updated his software recently I guess), and for me that's an hour and thirty minute trip, each way, to my closest friend's house.

That's how they scam you I guess. Promise free lifetime updates, but not if your computer is running the latest update, or magellan doesn't work with it. What a ridiculous rip-off. So, if you buy magellan, you are not allowed to update the latest software release, or it's useless. Nice. Way to go, magellan. Thanks for making your customers (ex-customer now, and hopefully you guys avoid them like the plague also) have to do a boatload of running around and using other people's older computers in order for your gps to be current. Hopefully I save you guys the hassle if you need a gps soon, as these guys will leave you old and out-dated and want you to jump through hoops for them.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

1. Magellan offers "Lifetime Maps". But, their interpretation is the lifetime of their units is only 3 years. After 3 years, no new maps for that model. Something they don't tell you until you complain. FRAUD? 2. Earlier "Content Manager" allowed me to get maps and "Sync" multiple units' address data so each address was only entered once for all units and one could sync remaining units. They dropped Content Mgr and then went to "SmartGPS.eco" to get new maps. SmartGPS.eco is very cumbersome compared to Content Mgr, AND, does now offer address sync support. I was told I could enter individual address into each unit by hand. What a ripoff!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MAGELLAN!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

2018 Magellan GPS, tried to update right away the maps last year. "Map is the last available version." Today I tried again and got the same message. Called in and was asked to pay 199.99 USD. Seriously? I was told that my computer and newer GPS unit are infected with a virus... (I never run a PC without the newest antivirus updates!!!). So I was told from Magellan support to pay 199.99 USD to clean my computer and to get my new GPS map! I refused and was told that the Canadian government would not allow anymore free map updates since 1st of July 2019. I seriously asked if the senior support agent worked for Magellan and he said, "yes." 1 year maps 199.99 USD/2 years map update and service ONLY 245 USD for a Magellan Roadmate 5620-LM with FREE lifetime map updates I bought last year at Canadian Tire Spruce Grove, Alberta. That is fraud!

Original review: July 13, 2019

Bought a TRX for Christmas, had difficulties initially because it was not user friendly. Decided to keep it and work through the issue and learn the product...What a mistake! After about 3 months it works about 10% of the time. “Unfortunately the TRX has stopped” keeps coming up with no map display. After a 1/2 hour or so, SOMETIMES it will start working for about 30 mins and then it stops working again. A waste of money, a waste of time and pure disappointment in the product.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Can't update maps. Pretty much the same problem everyone else is having. No maps for device. Pretty shady company. Website software won't recognize the device. And customer service is non-existent. It amazes me that this company is still in business.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Bought unit for the Lifetime Map updates. This is not true, it is only 3 years. First time I got to update maps, process did not work. Emailed Magellan support, followed their instructions: delete Map folder, back up, format. Still has insufficient space issue, now I have no map folder, so I have no GPS. Magellan solution, buy a new unit. Never again!

Original review: June 3, 2019

Software update crashed the hard drive on my current 5045-LM GPS. MANY attempted fixes, later it was deemed UN-repairable by their tech support. Convinced me to buy a new one 5520-LM. So I did, got it, opened the box and tried to set it up. It will NOT recognize my time zone. I live in Ontario Canada and for the time zone to be correct I need to manually choose Singapore...?

14 emails later and countless hours of back and fourths they simply stopped communicating with me and now I am stuck with 2 of their GPS units that are broken and UN-usable. One is 100% damaged beyond all repair due to one of their very own software updates and another arrive broken. Their suggestion, re-install new software and maps on the NEW GPS device. Why, the unit is brand new out of the box. I am so disgusted and I will not stop until I get some answers. I have left numerous messages on their corporate HR and Marketing voicemails and no one has had the common courtesy to even return my calls. I have NEVER in my 48 years ever experience such disrespect and total lack of service from any company.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We paid $400 for a Magellan GPS. It did not charge from day one. We called multiple time to get help to no avail. They do not stand by their product. They did not offer to repair or replace it. This is what they say "We suggest purchasing a brand new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. This way, you’ll have a working device at your earliest convenience." HA HA. What a joke! Why on earth would I even consider purchasing another Magellan when the 1st one didn't work. Anyway, I recommend you doing full research and reviewing GARMIN or Rand McNally options. We have used both and they worked far better. Good luck in your hunt for a good, reliable GPS.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I purchased this GPS because it advertised a lifetime map upgrade. In trying to upgrade it I found that no upgraded maps were offered for this model. Practically impossible to find a number to call so I emailed a customer service agent. She asked me to provide proof that lifetime maps were offered on this model. Thankfully I kept the box which advertised the lifetime upgrades so I was able to email a picture. That's the last I heard from customer service or anyone else from Magellan. I attempted to email several times with no responses to emails. After reading several reviews it seems I am not the only one experiencing this lack of service. Seems this is a common practice with this company. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Magellan.

Magellan GPS Company Information