2.30/5

157 La Mesa RV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our salesperson was absolutely terrific. It went downhill from there. We came to purchase a Class A motorhome, and ended up buying a Class C. A very pushy manager misinformed us about the financing between the two units, which we discovered later. We previously owned over 10+ motorhomes in the past. When we went to pick the coach up in Sanford, we found out that the finance people between Daytona and Sanford didn't communicate. We have to go now to the DMV to get our tags straightened out. As it goes for delivery, it gets worse. The outside was not clean, the inside was never cleaned, and popcorn was all over the place. Our walkthrough was a joke. We have no manuals on anything, except the sprinter chassis and two operator manuals. We had to beg another salesperson for a screwdriver to put the temporary tag on. Do yourself a favor and find another dealership.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I purchased a new Roadtrek in Sept of '18. Brought home knowing that several items were missing and was informed that when I bring it in in 2 weeks everything will be taken care of. In fact they wrote a invoice of "we owe you". Well I brought it back along with an item that needed repair as it did not work, well 3 months later I still did not have the vehicle fixed. Yes I did get the usual the parts are on order. They sent the wrong parts, the parts are on back order. They take 10 days to come from Canada. They changed the wire harness 5 times.The mechanic that does the work is on vacation this week, and on and on. Meanwhile I get a notice saying how do I like my vehicle now that I had it 3 mos. Boy talk about adding insult to injury.

I said I had a rally I did not want to miss and they let me have it the following week. I went on the rally and found out the area that they worked on still did not work so after Christmas I got a hold of the service mgr and asked to have it looked after. I was turned over to his service writer who said the soonest she could get me is over a month away on Feb. 6, 2019. I came in at 1100 am as I was told and everyone looked at me as if I was an alien from somewhere else. They did not have me listed anywhere. I still left it there. After a week I called in asking about it. No it's not in the shop yet. Now I also had mentioned that the window somewhere in back of the sink was leaking and during a rain a lot of water was on the floor.

In another week they said they were too busy to bring it in. This figured as I had read that they were hiring mechanics. I called the mfg and was advised to bring it to another of their dealerships. I promptly went down, picked the coach up and made the appointment. The items were taken care of. Oh and coming home the hatch door on the hot water tank blew off. And got destroyed. This was one of the items that was stated "we owe you". In three mos time this could not be fixed? Well after buying a new hatch and painting. It was quite a disappointment and I know that If I were to ask for reimbursement from La Mesa it would be easier to ask for the pope to turn protestant. Beware La Mesa down by Vero Beach.

Get expert buying tips about RV Manufacturers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2018

We recently purchased a 2018 Intent from La Mesa RV in Daytona Beach FL and picked it up in Sanford, FL. The La Mesa RV sales team in Daytona was very nice BUT this is where it stops. The financing representative tried to “make” us sign our contract adding $6000 worth of warranty items to it! Unless we had reviewed the contract carefully we would have completely missed it. We had insisted we did not want this even before he printed the contracts out and he argued with us stating we MUST sign the contract with the $6000 on it stating that when we picked up the unit it would be taken off.

I was not born yesterday! This is dishonesty at its worst and Winnebago should be ashamed to associate its long standing and excellent brand with such a dishonest company like La Mesa. I understand their volume with Winnebago and the revenue that you generate from La Mesa in general. After I told them I would walk from the deal if he didn’t reprint the contract WITHOUT the $6K he reluctantly reprinted it and his demeanor became combative and nasty. FAR from customer friendly.

BUT it doesn’t stop there. We left a deposit of $500 with them and was given a receipt for it. When we went to pick up the coach and met a different finance person in Sanford and after we had signed all papers, we had to ask about the $500 deposit. It was nowhere on any of the final signed paperwork. After discussion the finance person again reluctantly put a check request in and and gave us a copy of it and said we would have our deposit returned within a week. We are now starting the 3rd week and no check.

When we called we were given the run around and a promise of a returned call. Of course no call! This is YOUR agent, your dealer the one you gave a gold star for on your website! We cant be the first customers who have complained about La Mesa’s shady dealings but yet they get the gold star. Their hubris is loud and clear and it only tarnishes and damages the valued Winnebago brand especially when you endorse and award the a “favored” status on your website. Remember we who are customers. Without us there would be no need to have dealers. This is how owners of your entry level coaches are treated; as second class customers.

Original review: June 20, 2018

In January I purchased a 2018 Hymer Aktiv (list price $106k) from La Mesa in Davis, CA (sales are now in West Sacramento). Nothing regarding the shower pan, roof or the radio was mentioned during the inspection/orientation. I spotted drops of water in the moonroof at the forward end of the van but I was told it is because they just pressure washed the unit so the water probably sprayed up under the lid and is simply dripping down. I have no experience with RV's so I took his word for it. I noticed after departing with my new purchase that the radio was popping up warnings constantly so I informed the service dept.

The next thing I noticed was leaking from the shower pan, the water would travel out from under the shower and flow across the floor and then disappear underneath cabinetry. La Mesa Service looked at it and reported to me that there were no problems with it. The fantastic roof fan leaked water when it rained and I had to capture water in cups, the ceiling was soaked with water. I saw mold growing. I had to wait more than a month before the service department could repair the issue, they said they cleaned the mold and said the leak that I saw in the moonroof was probably water that had traveled through the ceiling from the fantastic fan to the moonroof...

Now, months later, another technician looked at the shower pan and noticed that the pan has a crack which was filled with silicone. The technician was familiar with the RV model and was confirmed that this was not normal (I spoke with the manufacturer and they said they would not ship a unit out with that fault so it is obvious that La Mesa found and tried to fix it prior to selling the unit). La Mesa re-filled the crack in the tub for me but the pan still leaks, and now I have to wait more than two months before they can fit me into their schedule. Knowing how they work, they won't order a new pan until they look at it again so that means I possibly have to wait another month or two after that, so November?

Just recently I saw that the backside of the kitchen cabinetry is de-laminated, obviously the water leak is causing damage to the unit. When I complained about the radio and the other items a salesman actually asked me sarcastically if I want to buy another unit. WTF. Did I mention I am a full-timer? This makes life very difficult and stressful and now I'm worried about mold. Nothing is perfect but jee wiz.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We purchased two RVs over the course of a year, first one used. Second one new. We were delayed on receiving the first used one because they had to inspect every system to ensure quality. We had a sewerage spill as a iPhone was stuck in the black water valve... guess they forgot to check that. I repaired it myself while on holiday. When we test drove the new one I mentioned a vibration in the front end at speed, it was written into the sales papers and I was assured it would be checked and rectified. Going through the orientation I asked about the vibration and was told they sent it out and all is good. Well it wasn't but I dealt with it and worked around the speeds where it was really bad.

As I'm preparing for a upcoming trip I decided to have the tires rebalanced. Much to my surprise I had a bent wheel... Hmmm if they had it sent out for the pre sale vibration check they would have found the bent wheel. Please do not believe a word they say after you leave the sales dept. Regarding service... oh what could I say. I paid for a special coating. Yeah right. It was never applied but they are going to recoat it after the fact. They repaired a leaking window but you guessed it still leaking. Waiting since September for new vinyl graphics for the front, hopefully it'll happen sometime this year. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to make a appointment for service then you go through the parts ordering song and dance. I could go on and on. Some people walk away happy, I try to keep my sense of humor about everything as I believe my service advisor is truly trying to provide quality service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about La Mesa RV?

Original review: June 13, 2018

My husband contacted La Mesa RV by phone in February 2018 to get information on a Winnebago View Motorcoach. He was assisted by Barry ** in Sales and Frank **, Finance Manager. My husband stated that we were not ready to buy a RV yet but was looking for information on costs and required downpayment. My husband also stated that when we were ready to buy that we wanted to go thru our existing bank who held our existing RV loan. La Mesa RV stated that in order to provide us with the potential cost with downpayment that they would need to run our credit one time. My husband reiterated that we were not ready to purchase and Barry stated that was fine. La Mesa RV then proceeded to submit our credit application to multiple banks which resulted in multiple hard inquiries appearing on our credit reports.

When I contacted the credit agencies to have these hard inquiries expunged, I was informed by Experian and Transunion that I would need letters from each of the banks that processed the credit request asking to have the hard inquiries removed. The banks stated that they could not do this as the requests were "Dealer-Initiated" and that I would need to speak with La Mesa to have them resolve my issue. I spoke with Frank **, Finance Manager after requesting a call back from the La Mesa RV Finance Manager. He apologized for my experience but stated that La Mesa RV is not able to create the requested letter for me as they cannot intercede on behalf of an individual in terms of their credit report.

I then contacted the La Mesa RV Customer Relations team on 6/11/2018 and spoke with Jay ** on 6/12/2018. Mr. ** contacted me back after obtaining my file and stated that no letter would be available as there were no records created by either Frank ** or Barry ** (Sales) stating that (1) we were not ready to purchase and (2) we did not approve our application going out to multiple banks as we wanted our credit application only to go to our existing bank.

No apologies given and when I asked to speak with the President/CEO of La Mesa RV, Jay informed me that the President/CEO was traveling extensively and would not return my phone call for at least 4-5 weeks. Jay went on to state that the President/CEO would refer me back to him as Jay handles all issues and there would be no available recourse for me in this case. I informed Jay ** that due to this response that I would not be doing any future business with La Mesa RV and will be submitting a complaint.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a new Travato from La Mesa 2 years ago and bought the extended warranty for 6 years. A couple of months ago, the top refrigerator vent just blew off during a wind storm. Winnebago stated that the vent was reinstalled by La Mesa when the vehicle arrived at their lot. Now for the great customer service... When they finally got the part, I waited for over an hour until Ryan strutted out stating that they didn't order the parts needed to install it. After a couple of weeks, several unanswered phone calls, and an email to the service manager, I was finally able to get the vent installed. It's been 2 weeks and it's coming out again. I'm so frustrated with these people I could cry. Wait, I have...

Original review: June 1, 2018

We purchased a New RV from La Mesa. When it had a major leak, they said they had a two month waiting list. Brand new? Also, we went to them to fix a few things... The "Tech" knew NOTHING about repairs... totally at a loss and could not get any answers. We left with half of the things we needed fixed, still broken, after sitting in the waiting room all day.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We purchased a used RV from La Mesa which they kept for a week "while they serviced it." When my husband brought it home he found a fuel float and sending unit in the RV. They are refusing to fix this (we are not able to ascertain what our fuel level is) as it was "bought as is and your husband inspected it." So my husband should have ascertained that the fuel gauge was "non-functional" and that during the week that they had to completely service it no one found this replacement part in the RV??? Hmmm... So no one found this replacement part so what else did they not "see or find?" DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company. Their dishonesty is unbelievable!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have to agree with the other comments regarding the purchase of a motorhome at La Mesa. On April 14, 2018 we attend the RV show at Jet Blue Park in Fort Myers, Florida, the only dealer there was LaMesa, which was misleading to their TV advertising. We drove a 2018 Thor Hurricane, the whole RV shook. Then we drove a 2018 Winnebago. We decided to purchase the Thor after we were told this shaking would be fixed like new. This information and other items were written on a sheet for repairs. We took delivery on April 28, 2018, our bad, we did not drive the coach before we paid for it.

We drove the coach back to Naples, it did drive and ride a little better than the test drive. The coach was parked for a week, then were offered a free weekend at Cypress Trails in Ft. Myers for the weekend of May 4-7, 2018. While we were there we experienced a few other issues, and decided to drop the coach off at La Mesa for repairs and correct the steering issue. We were told own the coach and our responsibility to take it to the chassis shop for repair. We explained it was like that when purchased the coach. Well the coach is still there for repairs for now and they haven't made the warranty repairs. We are picking it up on Friday to take to the chassis shop. I feel we have been mistreated, taken advantage of, and told the coach was repaired and driven and this is not true.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We're on our 3rd Travel trailer, But the First time purchasing from LaMesa RV Fort Myers. My husband & I are in our 70's have worked in Sales for years. We have never meet so many rude, incompetent, people working in one company, Monday April 30, 2018 we had our orientation class, which went very well. Next stop Finance - he was either having a bad day, or just didn't like us! Maybe, because we were asking questions! Directly under the "Price of Vehicle" Is "Dealer Services Fee" $995. So of course we questioned this amount. "It was for Prepping your camper," O.K. So I googled "dealer service fee". "This is a fee that a dealer will to charge you for preparing the Vehicle (RV, T.T.)". It's a ridiculous attempt at making an extra profit, because vehicle preparation is simply a part of doing business! We didn't want to be thrown out of his office, so we just paid the fee!

While in Finance, our CSR Stacy ** stopped by, asked us if we wanted our T.V. Installed (which we brought with us) on a swing bar? Cost $170. Never mentioning that if on a swing bar it would be permanently mounted! Which our CSR conveniently forgot to mention to us. FYI our camper has an Outside TV Bracket! When we finished in Finance, our camper was parked outside all hooked up to our vehicle! My husband decided to walk around the camper to do a double check! He noticed the latch right behind the ball was NOT in locking mode! When my husband tried to lock it, The locking mechanism would not lock into place, and the paddle lock would not go through the hole.

We were being sent out with an unsafe ball & hitch! We found the mechanic that had installed the hitch. He worked on it for several minutes, then said "Oh I know the problem." He struck a screwdriver through the hole and jiggled it down. Saying "There You GO!" My husband asked if we had to do this every time? Mechanic just said "No, it'll get better!" Tuesday, April 1st we were going on a 3 day shake down Cruise with our NEW camper. Our first day, we started making a list of it.

Within an Hour, we had a list of Items that had Not been taken care of during The $995. Dealer Prep! As friends stopped by, everyone immediately noticed the TV, just because someone in the factory had slapped a white sticker on the wall that's Where the TV Was installed, With wires and cords hanging down the wall! This is when we realized the TV was Mounted Permanently! (We have an outside TV Bracket) (Intelligent people are able to Think Outside the box!) Not La Mesa RV Fort Myers Florida! The wood Frame around the bed and Table were ALL coming apart! I decided to try out the shower, within minutes the water was backing up in the shower and ready to overflow! When I yelled at my husband to open the Grey Tank. Out came, pieces of Wood, caulking, molding, sawdust!

When we mentioned this to our CSR, She said “Oh, that's just building materials left over from the factory!" REALLY. This is when we decided to leave our campsite 2 days early, return to La Mesa So they could fix what was Not done the first time. Back at La Mesa - We were reprimanded by our CSR - Stacy **. People Make Appointments, and What Gave Us the Right to Just Show and expect Our Camper to be worked On! I wanted to say "if everything had been done correct the First Time, we would still be at the campground, that we had paid for!" Instead, we Cleaned out the refrigerator, freezer, our clothes, everything in the camper so we could leave it with La Mesa!

Friday April 4, La Mesa Called us to come get our camper. When we arrived, our camper was parked next to the waiting room. The door was open, so we walked outside and stepped into OUR camper! That was when Steve ? GM stepped in and began YELLING at us for being in Our Camper! My husband said "sorry, I didn’t see a sign saying Don't Step Here.” While the GM proceeded to YELL, We don't need signs, I'M telling YOU! Then our CSR enters, when I say "a 5 year old could have done a better job mounting the TV!" That's when we were shown a piece of paper saying we were OK with a swing bar! NEVER telling us it was a permanent Fix! And we didn't expect to see hanging wires! My husband removed the swing bar, and Put the TV Up the Way it should have been done! FYI we now have a New TV swing bar which we paid $170. Is now Sitting on our workbench!

There was ONLY one person at La Mesa that knew what he was doing. Mike ** - Worked on the Ball & Lock for 3 hours, Modifying until it Was Right! There was another mechanic who came in and repaired ALL the other items until they were done RIGHT! La Mesa really needs to have a Class for its GM's & CSR's How to treat customers AFTER they've Purchase a Camper! Customer Service doesn't Stop As Soon as The Stamp is on the paperwork Paid In Full!

Original review: April 12, 2018

YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK! It's April 11th 2018, you're too late to enjoy a new RV this summer! La Mesa RV has a slogan "Experience Life." That slogan is open to your interpretation - here's mine. December 15th 2017 I knew exactly what I wanted. A 2018 ERA 70M by Winnebago. It's been 10 years since I had bought a Sprinter and the warranty was one thing I remembered because it was so short - 3 years or 36,000 miles. The salesperson stated the warranty is now 100,000 miles. I was impressed by that since my 2008 needed $16,000 in repairs over the course of one year's time starting at 50,000 miles, so that was a big selling point. Once I am sitting in the finance department the warranty is back to 3 years or 36,000 miles and they want to sell an extended warranty for $7100.00.

While negotiating they said they would sell the warranty at their cost. When I asked to see their cost, they weren't ready for that question. They said they couldn't because they have no paperwork showing the cost so I settled at $3500. The deal is done - just need to wait for pick up. The day before delivery, my new service adviser Mike ** calls to inform me that the RV has a problem with a USB port, GPS, and a vibration, but all is ok. It's in the shop getting looked at and the delivery day is still on. They said that they balanced the tires, updated the software for the GPS, and fixed the USB. On delivery day, I take a train to Davis. My RV is in a tented area getting cleaned, I do a walk around and I start seeing paint problems, then while the sales staff and I are looking at the RV and how beautiful it is I noticed some black marks on the Winnebago-added trim.

While it does not stand out at first glance, there is definitely a faded look you wouldn't expect on a new vehicle. The sales staff plays it down and tries to buff it out with no luck. Everything that needs attention is listed on a work order to be addressed at a later date. My first trip was to Fort Bragg. The speed limit on 128 is 55 mph but the RV feels better between 45-55 mph. But wait - there is a very significant vibration, even the stitching on the steering wheel is blurred and hard to hold. Then I find myself pumping the brakes every time, they feel soft and spongy. I tried to use the GPS but when you put in the first letter for the destination city it goes to the next page "Item not found." I run the heater and find the vanity and supplies are all 119 degrees a 30-degree difference from the front of RV. The TV has no power and bathroom pocket door has a big gauge.

There is now a total of 22 items in need of attention. On my first trip to the service department, I meet Mike **. I start with the GPS because I assume this should be easy to resolve. I asked Mike ** to put in my address, he puts in "S" and it goes to "Item not found". He plays with it for 3-5 mins and asked me for my zip code. He hits enter and the city shows up but with a list of every street in town and you have to scroll down to find the one you are looking for. Then I'm told, "A friend has one of these and that's how it works." We finish going through the 22 items. We are almost done and Mike ** wants to know what 10 items I want fixed this trip! Their policy is only 10 items per trip to the service department! AND it's brand new! I was told they fixed the GPS and the vibration prior to this - nothing was done. Finally seven weeks later repairs are supposedly done.

It took SEVEN WEEKS and communication was nonexistent! It was so bad I had called their customer service department and spoke with Mr. **. Only then did I hear from Mike **. I had asked by e-mail several times if the vibration, brakes, and paint were taken care of. While they would reply to the e-mail, they would avoid my questions. Finally I received a e-mail from the service manager that they test-drove it and there was no vibration. They waited SEVEN WEEKS to tell me the paint problems will not be corrected - that the flaws are acceptable per Winnebago. When I pick up the RV I noticed the pocket door for the bathroom was replaced but sitting 5" behind the door frame. Mike ** sends the RV back to repair the door, but once home I found they didn't even put in the doorstop for the other Direction.

The work order states front wheels needed balancing and brakes are good. After SEVEN WEEKS in their shop I still have a significant vibration but now it's at different speeds - and still pumping brakes to stop. The heater still gets bathroom excessively hot. I opened up the compartment where the heater is and find ducts not fastened, or loose. I repaired it myself in 10 minutes. I took the RV to Fletcher Jones Mercedes in Fremont. They find rims are bent! I called Mr. ** and his answer was to give me my money back! I don't want my money back! I want a working RV in the brand new condition I paid for. Mr. ** will not replace the rims.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The manufacturer had good prices, and the space of the cabin and in general of the whole RV is quite wide and this helps the comfort of the passengers during the trip. For children they are perfect, they have a good space to move or play on the road. They are very comfortable to drive long distances. In my experience the vehicle is quite resistant, and could cross difficult roads without problems and is also a vehicle with a good performance engine although it consumes some extra fuel. In my last family trip, I had to recharge gasoline more times than I had to recharge before with my RV Antigua, and this implies extra expenses during the trip.

Original review: March 26, 2018

There needs to be a better insulation to keep both the hot and cold air from seeping through to the inside of the RV. Other than that, all is well. I like that they make use of the limited space with smart design. It is exciting and fun. They also have the best overall quality of any RV manufacturer. I chose this particular manufacturer because it came highly recommended from both my family and friends. And I am glad I took their advice because I couldn't be happier with my RV from this brand. I would give a hearty recommendation to them.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The RV has tons of room for friends, family and all your guest and have a great and wonderful time and a better experience. I like that you can go wherever with people and not use your personal vehicle. It’s great.

Original review: March 23, 2018

RV in general is great for traveling especially with family. And when I think of RV I think of the La Mesa brand. It's fast and nice. Long trip is easier for little kids instead of using a regular car. I personally like to design things so decorating the RV is very fun and interesting thing to do when I'm bored. Something I like about the RV is the design in the outside and inside. It's simple and unique. Though more color for the RV could be nice since I don't like plain things. There is only a few range of color which I think is lowkey boring. The ceiling should also be taller especially for tall people like me. And prices for RV could be a bit cheaper. But my experience has been great overall and I recommend RVs for family with little kids who want to travel. Or people who love traveling in general.

Original review: March 22, 2018

La Mesa RV has a great selection of RV's at affordable prices. They also have great customer service and I have enjoyed dealing with them so far. They make me feel like part of the family. I would enjoy buying from them in the future.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This place was amazing. Prices were great and the customer service was even better. If you plan on buying an RV this is the best, easiest and friendliest place even and we shopped around at a few others. Absolutely perfect easy process and the best bang for your buck for sure at this location. Very friendly. Built around good customer service and goes above and beyond to be the best. I will recommend this place to friends or family or just anyone looking.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I chose this La Mesa RV manufacturer because I have a very close family member that has shopped through the same RV manufacturer and they seemed to really love the experience they had. They had great reviews from this person. Each and every one of the wonderful customers service sales people were so positive, informative and helpful. They seemed to have known a lot of information on different vehicles and they were very awesome at answering all of the many questions I had for them. They sometimes take a lot of time though and it seems they have other priorities. And they are not the best at communicating back to me.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I liked their quality workmanship they put into each RV. I like that it had no sway or air disturbance imbalance when you passed or other vehicles passed you. It was so quiet when running besides being diesel. We actually went to the place of manufacture to see how the RV was put together and the safety of the materials used. It was phenomenal. Everything was top notch. However, I would change the ceramic tile they used for the kitchen and bath to a more flexible material, since some of the tiles broke or cracked while vehicle was in motion.

Original review: March 18, 2018

La Mesa is a good manufacturer that offers good services and adapts perfectly to my needs and of my family. The services offered are very good and I plan to continue using them for much longer. It simply fits well to my needs.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I like that it's big, it has a big popularity, and that it is very much better than most other companies. La Mesa is also very nice and very kind and can make one of the best RVs in the world. However, the design is pretty bad in my opinion, but everything else I would leave because they are very nice and fine. My overall opinion is very good because this company can make very nice RV, that I could use at camps. And other places where I need an RV, like at home and at work. It is also very nice because it has good flooring and other stuff that makes it feel like home.

Original review: March 13, 2018

It is contained yet has plenty of storage for my needs. It is very comfortable for me. I love the center island and the pantry. It is the right fit for one person. It is attractive and well laid out inside. The outside is very appealing to me. The brand name is very important. I love the amount of room I have inside and the additional storage outside. I feel that they could use better instructions for upkeep of them. And it does have some construction issues that need to be corrected. It could use better insulation. I have spent the last year figuring out when I should empty my tanks and it would be nice to have a better system to let you know they need emptying. The light system does not work properly and you get false positive readings from them.

Original review: March 12, 2018

La Mesa RV provides an array of brands and classes of RV to one portal. It has the most comprehensive inventory of RVs around. You can either sell or buy new/used RVs. They also have information about their warranties I like so I know what exactly is covered. They have service centers that are fairly convenient if I need to have my RV service. They have skilled technicians which were helpful when I had a small problem with it. I am happy to have purchased my Class B RV from them without a problem. They have very helpful staff. I recommend them as they are professional, affordable, and you will get the very best RV and service with it.

Original review: March 11, 2018

We have made several trips and phone calls to the service department to resolve our warranty issues. No one has returned our calls and on our trips to the dealer they avoid us. After talking to several pissed off customers we are afraid to bring our rig back for them to do the work that should have been taken care of before we took ownership of the unit. They ordered a door for our half bath. We got the call that it was in so we drove the 85 miles to pick it up only to be told that we should have brought the old one and the service writers were not in on Saturday. Hmmm don't you think that would be good information to tell someone on the initial phone call. I guess they like pissed off customers.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Where to begin. When we purchased our 2017 Tiffin Allegro in San Diego it was like a bad sitcom. It wasn't ready when we were told it would be. We ended up waiting about 4 hours in their office before we could drive to Yuma to take out of state possession. By the time we got to Yuma it was pitch black in a city we had never been before. The drivers were great and helped us get to Wal-Mart for the night. The time spent going over the unit was only an hour. For those of us who have never owned a RV, we would have liked more time. The head of accounting gave us the temporary license and told us we must mount it on the right-hand corner of the windshield when we took possession. The drivers had never seen this but told us if that is what he said we should do it.

A couple of days later we got a call from him saying it was a mistake and could we come back to San Diego right away and straighten it out. We said no, we would mail it to him, but we were not returning to San Diego. We overnighted it and to thank us he sent us a gift certificate that originally was for $75, but he crossed that out and put in $100. He did not sign it, but put on a sticky note saying thank you. Do we really think anyone will honor this? Now fast forward 1 year and we are in Phoenix for the second time getting work done.The original service tech decided we were too demanding when after being told it would be done in a week was not ready. They were waiting for authorization from Tiffin to do the work.

Now it could be coincidence or not, but the slide was adjusted a few months ago as the tiles were wearing. After that a screw came loose and gouged out two tiles. So our question was "Who is responsible? La Mesa or Tiffin", but they wouldn't do anything without Tiffin authorization. Our rep was not authorized to encourage Tiffin to respond so we were sent to the General Service Manager who was able to get Tiffin to overnight parts for repair. We were told the parts would arrive the following week and everything would be done by the following Friday. We checked in with La Mesa on the next Monday where we found the General Service Manager to be on vacation for a week. We then requested to talk with the original service rep.

He did show up for an hour, and then his remark was that it wasn't his issue anymore. We could talk with his supervisor if we wanted. Freddie has been the only employee who seems to understand customer service. He normally does not handle individual problems but works in fleet service. But he has been very kind and courteous. He told us our original service rep would be responding to our needs and would be our contact person. The parts did not arrive until the Friday we were to pick it up. Nobody called us to let us know. We had to call them. We were told it would be ready Monday by 4 PM.

We decided we needed to deal with Freddie as he was the only one who responded to our calls. We showed up on Monday about 2 PM and guess what? No really, guess! Absolutely nothing had been done. Not one darn thing. And for whatever reason there seems to be a problem with the house batteries, even though it has been plugged in for two weeks. We got the General Service Manager involve, again, His attitude was "stuff happens." A very unimpressive response. As full timers we had been staying with friends and in a hotel. Yes, stuff happens, but he wouldn't even pay for a hotel room. Freddie said he would top off the gas tank. Again Freddie was the only one who seems to understand customer service.

So here we are today, they have told us it will be ready by noon with all work done. Do we believe this will all come together? My husband wants to use the gift certificate, I do not think they will honor it. It just seems this company is interested in selling you a RV and then they don't want to be bothered. Be very careful and ask more questions. We didn't know what we didn't know and they have been less than helpful in helping us.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

This the by far the worst experience of any of the many RV that my wife and I have purchased over the years. This is a company that will do anything to get the sale, but after the papers are signed look out. Straight downhill from there. To start off with they took our license to have them photocopied. They never returned them to us. We only found out when my bank required that I fax over a copy of our license so we could do a money transfer and found they had not returned them. Called them and was told by the salesman that they had them for a week... No phone call nor did they try to contact us. Had them send to us via FedEx and instead of sending to our Florida address they sent on off to our home in Indiana.

After a month finally got them back. We only given 1.5 hours to get all our belongings from one camper to another. The person who was supposed to be helping only could say that we had to hurry because their drivers had to be back to their office before dark. No help whatsoever other than the reprimand that we had to hurry. After of having our camper for a 2 weeks still have not gotten our second remote for second TV that they gave to someone else. They flat out lie to your face and do exactly the opposite. We were told that we would be contacted by one of their managers to address our issues and this has not happened even after many requests. There are many issues that we will have to do on our own. I have no confidence in this company backing anything that they say.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

This review is for small class Thor CRV in Alvarado Tx. I saw water stains on ceiling. They said it probably happened when the vehicle was washed. It leaked after 4 attempts to stop leak - still have small leak.We both gave up. While still at dealership we were connected to the outside water supply. At home we found that water tank leaked when filled. There were several smaller items that were taken care of by the local dealer. BEWARE - BE CAREFUL.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

If you are looking to purchase an RV of any sort do not step foot on any LaMesa RV locations. I sure wish I did not. In November 2016 we purchased a used 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer from the Fort Myers, FL LaMesa dealership. By December 2015 the floor went bad. LaMesa did nothing to help. We paid to have the trailer shipped back to the manufacture and paid to have a new floor installed.

When we finally had a chance to use the trailer - May 2016 - discovered that 1 of the propane bottles was manufactured in 2013 and the other 2005. The 2013 bottle although 2 years older than the trailer can be refilled, but the 2005 bottle can not. Not sure how they get away with filling an outdated propane bottle, but I guess when you are as dishonest as they are you do what you want - legal or not. Called the sales person, explained the situation, he said "that is above my pay grade" and he would contact the service department manager. Service manager called me and the end result was he told me "the tank works, so it's fine" and they would not replace the tank. Small item perhaps, but we paid the market price for the unit and they made their money and provided us with an unusable item.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

In April 2017 we purchased a brand new 2018 Heartland travel trailer from La Mesa RV. In November we started a long camping trip. Made it from Phoenix, Az and made it nearly to Austin, Tx and the roof blew off on half of our new trailer. We had to turn around and travel to stay out of rain to get back home and to La Mesa RV. Called La Mesa RV. They told us in middle of January they could look at it. What?? It's Dec 5. And if it rains half the inside would be ruin also. Call Heartland and they gave us a dealer in La Mesa RV that got us in. So my advice. Heartland is a good brand and it will be covered under warranty. But. Please... STAY AWAY FROM LA MESA RV!! They are great selling a unit to you. But when you drive off the lot they are totally done with you.

La Mesa RV expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

La Mesa RV is a marketplace for used and new RVs. La Mesa began as a simple RV dealership in La Mesa, California, in 1972. It has since moved its headquarters to San Diego and expanded with dealerships in Florida, Arizona and New Mexico.

• Stock variety: La Mesa RV sells products from numerous brands, including Winnebago, Fleetwood, Hummer and more. La Mesa sells RVs and trailers of all classes.

• Rotating sales: La Mesa RV hosts rotating sales for the RVs they have in stock. If you don’t mind waiting for a good price, keeping an eye on these sales will save you some money.

• Trade-in: If you currently have an RV you want to sell, La Mesa will appraise it for you. They will either offer you a cash deal or trade-in credit toward one of their RVs.

• Preowned sales: La Mesa RV also sells preowned vehicles in addition to their new stock. Preowned inventory is subject to change, so you’ll want to check their listings regularly.

• Full service center: La Mesa RV’s locations have full service centers. If you need to repair your RV, you can schedule an appointment with a technician online.

• Best for: people who want to find good deals on new and used RVs and people who want to sell or trade in their current RVs.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

La Mesa RV Company Information