2.19/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

955 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Kia Sorento brand new last year. Up until this point I was happy with my purchase and have enjoyed the vehicle. But recently I took a highway trip (car now has 19,000 miles) and it started to develop a problem with "sticky" steering at higher speeds. Very difficult to maintain position in the lane. My husband asked me why I was jerking the car so much, but that's what it took to keep the vehicle in the lane. I was so concerned with safety that I sacrificed part of my vacation sitting in a repair shop having them go over the front end.

I was told there was nothing to check because the steering is electronic, not hydraulic. Hoping the car was safe to drive I returned home and immediately had my dealer check the problem. The dealer said there was nothing wrong and nothing to check diagnostically. "Come back when it happens again," the manager said. Since then it has happened nearly every time I drive above 50 mph. After doing some research I have found this is a common problem for which KIA has no fix. Very sorry I purchased this car because not only does KIA not care about the problem, it's been around for a while and they have done nothing to correct it. Time to go buy a Honda.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Kia Sorento. After cleaning the plastic plate in front of speedometer with glass cleaner as recommended. I noticed that there were spots on other side of the plastic. This should not happen. Kia would not repair the problem and brushed aside the problem with the simple statement that it looked like outside influences were involved. Gee, could it be that KIA did not properly seal the plastic covering protecting the speedometer? If you buy a KIA, be prepared to fight for everything under warranty. Personally, I am getting rid of the Sorento and buying a car that lives up to its warranties.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The guy who came to open my car door was efficient and awesome as soon as he arrived! Saved my day with my daughter! It was a terrible situation that ended very much appreciated. Locking my key in my car was a new experience for my 2014 Kia Forte. I was nervous about how they would do it but my Kia Roadside assistance was amazing and fast. No damage and friendly. We were at a shopping outlet about an hour from home. No one could bring my backup key to us so we were literally stuck. I did some googling and found Kia Roadside Assistance. Amazing experience. :) My daughter and I enjoyed the rest of our Labor Day together with my car key in my purse lol. :)

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Originally I left a 5 star review, but times have changed and the honeymoon is over. When I bought my car 2 years ago the salesman was good. I can't hate on Frankie. But don't be mislead by all these 5 star reviews. My gripe with this dealer is how they treated me during a service, WHICH HAS NOW MADE ME LOSE ALL RESPECT FOR THIS DEALER AND THIS BRAND. My car is still brand new with only 12k miles. With this many miles nothing should break on this car unless it's defective. I experienced a broken wheel stud and lug nut. The wheels on my car have never been off before so obviously they must have cross threaded it at the factory. When I tried to remove it, it wouldn't budge and snapped (I was swapping wheels). Kia claimed I must have cross threaded it? How do you cross thread a lug nut when you are trying to loosen it?? Morons!!

KIA's prestigious warranty would not cover it. This billion dollar company couldn't honor a warranty on a defective part that costed 10 bucks. So I asked how much to repair, since I needed it fixed? 75 bucks... Fine. I'll pay it and wait to avoid any more grief. 3 HOUR later the service advisor says we have a problem. The whole front end needs to come apart to put a 10 dollar stud in (hub, bearing, knuckle) and would need all the new parts too!!?? Huh??? Why!!? Commission maybe!!? The new price 504.00!!! LMFAO. You guys are out of your minds. Where did you make that price up... I called KIA corporate to find out about the warranty to pay for this defective part. Nothing. Useless and full of excuses.

I had enough and pulled my car out of there. Guess what. Took it to a PROFESSIONAL shop and they did it for less than half the price!! Coleman KIA you lost me, and I'll make sure to let everyone know to stay away from you and KIA in general. For anyone thinking of a KIA, think hard, because when your car malfunctions (WHICH IT WILL) you will get nothing but excuses as to why the warranty will NOT cover it!!! This is your warning people!!! Once they sell you the car, they don't give a ** about your problems.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Don't buy a KIA!! They have the WORST customer service and when you have a problem and want to speak to a supervisor or manager they will not transfer the call. I will never buy another KIA and I would not recommend KIA to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

2013 KIA RIO5 SX, 77,000 miles. August 6, 2018. Driver side passenger door, electric window would not go down. Took to KIA dealer & found out the sound barrier material that was glued to inside of door was falling apart & jamming window. Dealer checked all 4 doors & found the driver's door sound barrier material was also falling apart. Dealer said no replacement is available. Dealer removed sound barrier material in driver's door and driver side passenger door. Mileage is over the 60,000 mile warranty so I was charged $186.03. I called KIA 800-333-4542 & opened case 12821760. KIA said car was out of warranty & there is nothing they can do. This car is well maintained & never in an accident. This "sound barrier" material should not have failed in under 5 years.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kia does not care about safety!!! Car disabled 3 times!!! Hybrid system to second owner is under warranty until 60k. My first issue was cared for at 45k. The second on the same malfunction happened at 75k and returned the car back to me. Now the third time 85k and they won’t fix the issue but it’s the same one that never got fixed? How is this good customer care? You never fixed the issue. It is part of the hybrid system!

Additionally it takes 10 plus days to get ahold of anyone! The first time I was on the freeway the car disabled leaving me stranded. Second time it disabled causing a car accident. The third time a month after the accident leaving me stuck again and now reporting a lemon. They won’t accept that the car is unsafe. Causing me to have to get a lawyer? Why can’t Kia just settle and give me a safe car/fix this one! I love this car but hate that I feel unsafe and am so sad I can’t ever bring myself to buy a new one because Kia Motors does not take safety serious!!! The car disabled 3 times! Does it really take someone dying or being seriously injured to actually care for this company? Can’t believe national and the executive team doesn’t want to improve the image of safety.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a 2018 KIA Soul in May of 2018. There was no visible signs of rust on the car at the time. After about a month of driving it I took it to the car wash. At close inspection after the wash I noticed rust on the lower part the back passenger doors (both sides of the car...same place). I contacted the KIA dealer, they took pictures and sent them with the info to a corp. office somewhere. Their response was that the rust was caused by an outside source and they would not cover it. So I contacted KIA in Cal. Got the same answer. That's Bull. This is a new 2018 car...it should not have any rust on it, plus they should have took measures to prevent such an occurrence. I would not have bought the car if the rust was visible when I looked at it. I'm still waiting on Higher Up to make their decision at the KIA Corp. in Cal.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I absolutely loved this vehicle (2017 Kia Niro) when I first got it. Now everything is falling apart. The rear driver side door sensor would not go off so they had to replace it. Plus two recalls. Now EVERY door handle pops off when you try and open the doors. And lastly, on the rear hatch there is some kind of oil leaking from the hatch. The car is 3 days over 1 year old and it is piece of junk.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Kia has fluffed up their look but their quality is still crap. I've had my car in for service 8 times in 16 months. I bought my Kia Niro brand new and started having problems within less than 5 months of ownership. I'm suing Kia to buy it back as a lemon. They don't communicate at all. They are not helpful and try to draw out the process as long as possible. I've lost countless hours... even months at a time bringing this car into being repaired. 5 of the issues are repeat of the same thing. There was another reoccurring defect that took a couple repair attempts to get corrected. Parts on back order take a month to get.

Techs at the dealership have talked to Kia techs at corporate and no one knows how to fix the car. The 5 reoccurring repair issue is still an ongoing issue because Kia doesn't know what's wrong. My transmission has already started to fault. My car almost stalled once after 5 months of ownership and the most recent issue is that it won't accelerate or shift into the next gear. Huge safety issues! I'll probably get into an accident but Kia is in no hurry to address any of that.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have a 2018 Kia, Sorento. I have been trying to get blind spot mirrors since the the day I purchase it in Nov. 2017. After being told by the dealer's salesman, then parts department (Napelton Kia in Elgin, IL.,) I contacted KIA online. I had a chat with 'Alexis' (Friday 6/29/18 at 5:14 CDT). When asked why I couldn't look up parts for my 2018 KIA Sorento, she replied that the parts department had not update (sp) them yet. I should contact their "parts specialist" sometime MON-FRI from 6:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M. PST.

When I said that not having someone to answer parts questions all the time was archaic, the conversational attitude changed. I told her that I had purchased 2 new KIA's this year for cash, her reply was "We do not accept cash, sir. You must be confusing us with the dealer". Of course I was talking about the dealer! I can't buy from the manufacturer! That doesn't change the fact that I spent over $40,000 with this company. All I got was the corporate run-around from them. Very disappointed and wish I had bought the Subaru's I had been looking at.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Small compact, good on gas, runs and drives great. Would purchase again and would recommend to anyone else to buy. Great sales man. Explained the whole car and left no stone unturned. It's a third row seating but still small, gets great gas mileage and runs smoothly. All around great car. Good business. However, I wish it was cheaper on price, have an extended warranty to longer than twelve months and better service plan.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I like the Kia Sorento because it is very good on gas and is easy to drive. It has a lot of space in to sit four people comfortably. It is a great car to go on vacation in too. I would make it have a large backup camera installed in it. And also the gas tank door would work all the time. Also a have handle on the front near the windshield for older people to be able to use it to get in and out with. The car has a noise in the motor but the dealership says they cannot find anything wrong. My mechanic says there is something wrong with the timing chain. All in all it is a good riding car.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My elderly mother has been pressured into buying an extended warranty that she did not need. She already has a 10 year warranty. They sent her card after card, and they called her so many times until she buckled under pressure after being told she had to have it! I am furious. I would say that they have dishonest sales tactics.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It's reliable and very efficient. Any issues I have had were easily fixed with a forum search & maintenance is not that expensive. It is also very cute. The Kia Rio's gas mileage is amazing (30mpg!). It has a manual transmission, which is not common anymore. It was also very affordable. I can see this car running as strong as older Hondas, eg 300k+ miles. But the backseat do a not fold down, which I didn't realize when I bought it. There is no stereo output jack, no power door locks or windows too.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The Kia Sorento is my SUV and I just love it. It's roomy and drives well. Being older I like the fact that the car is high not one of those low cars. And being so high I have a better view of the road. I also like that the back seats can be put down to make more room for storage and there is a rack on top of the car for extra luggage or storage as well. What I don't particularly like about this car is the fact that the tires on this car are quite large and expensive. And if you need repairs it's quite expensive due to the fact all the parts are under a protective cover that requires taking off the cover. So if you need to brake fluid this cover needs to be removed by a mechanic. But other than that, the Sorento handles quite smoothly when driving.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The car has had a lot of issues. I've had to replace a lot of parts on it. The car is cheap. The frame is cheap. The parts are cheap but I don't like a car that breaks all the time. I appreciate it more when my car is more convenient not a car from Korea where the parts have to be specially ordered and waited for. The Kia Spectra 2007 handles well though in spite of its flaws. It is small and practical. I like the 4 doors. I like the fact that the seats are cloth and not leather so I don't get burned every time I sit down after a long hot day of the car just sitting in the sun. But I wish I would have done more research before buying this car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Great car which is very innovative and has great gas mileage. It is very technologically advanced. It is very easy to maintain too. It has a lot of amenities which are standard. I like the GPS, the voice activation, heated seats and steering wheel. It has Sirius XM and also has room for 7 passengers. The Kia Sorento stands out from other SUVs in its class.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After years of spending thousands of dollars on my vehicle, I spent another 1200, and the vehicle would only run for 5 days. I tried to get them to fix it and they wanted thousands more! I offered to have them exchange it for a new one and they scheduled an appointment which I was ignored for 3 hours. They just want money so I called the corporate office and a man at escalations screamed at me hurting my ears. Issue not resolved and my car is sitting at my apartments. Extremely poor customer service!!! I went to Honda! Anyone want my poor Kia?

Original review: May 31, 2018

The Kia Sorento is only as good as what the company backs it up to be. It's a little above garbage and that's only because they don't back up their vehicles if there known defect.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I bought my Kia Sorento new in 2011 and I love this car. Could not ask for a better car for the money. It gets 28 MPG, and never any issues. It's very comfortable and a joy to drive.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Kia Stinger GT-2 is competing well with sport type BMW and Audi vehicles for about 2/3 of the price. It is high performance throughout- high horsepower dual turbos, higher torque, five driving modes that alter engine and suspension parameters, 8-speed transmission, AWD with a 60/40 split favoring the rear wheels, deluxe Merlot leather interior, all available safety features, and a Harman Kardon 650 watt 15 speaker stereo to boot.

However, road tests reveal 0-60 mph in 4 seconds or less and its speed limited to 188 mph contrary to the manufacturer's numbers. Also, it's three grand to replace the monitor, etc. and labor rates at dealerships are usually $120/hour or higher. Nevertheless, I love driving it and am learning the features rather quickly as they are quite intuitive and the manuals quite helpful. I opted for the extended bumper to bumper 10 year/100,000 mile warranty because of the heavy reliance on complex computer and electronic technology.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento back in November of 2017. After seeing the vehicle had been well maintained on the Carfax and it had low mileage of around 75,000 I felt confident the vehicle would be a reliable long term purchase for me and my family. Now just months later in May 2018 the vehicle spontaneously shut down while driving last week. Fortunately for me I on road with parking lot I could safely roll into and stop. This may not be the case if this happens to another vehicle who may be on a high traffic interstate, high speed roadways, etc. After having it towed to the local Kia dealership I am being told it needs an entire new engine. After a little research, I noticed a Kia Sorento engine failure recall for 2012-2014 due to poor engine manufacturing assembly from leaving debris in engine. After contacting Kia consumer affairs I was told my VIN was not included in this recall. However, they settled on covering half of the $4,000+ repair.

If they know they are at fault, why not pay repair in entirety? They claim it is not covered under a warranty and I am ‘fortunate’ they covered as much as they did. I just wanted to educate anyone looking to purchase a new or used vehicle. Steer clear of Kia or Hyundai products unless you can justify buying a new engine before 90,000 miles. I am now going on my THIRD week of having to pay for a rental vehicle because Sorento is still is not repaired. Between the weekly vehicle rental fees, time and hassle, towing fees and the unpronounced $2,000+ for an engine repair I am beyond frustrated at the lack of customer safety concern and service. Please share this to friends and family. Even if this helps just one person not have to go through this situation in the future it was worth my time writing and sharing it.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It was a great car until the engine went bad. Kia helped us out by paying for the parts, we had to pay the labor. The dealer was of absolutely no help on this at all.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Kia has a great warranty. I am 6 ft 4 in tall and can wear a hat while driving it. It is not great on comfort, but for the price is one great value; I think it is the best car for those who need dependable transportation for a value. Retired folks, because it is easy to get into and back out of. Most cars you either slide down into them or climb up to get in.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2017 Kia Soul+ in Jul 2017, and to date (May 2018) have only put 5500 mi on the vehicle. It has been used mostly for in town driving and is garaged. I have hundreds of small rust spots on the exterior finish, which is accentuated by the finish paint being white (see attached photo). Kia reps tell me it is micro metal filaments from my brakes embedding in the clear coat, and this is something not unusual.

Well, I’d challenge this position as I’ve owned previous white cars among the dozen+ vehicles I’ve owned over the years, looked at dozens of comparable new cars on the road, and spoken with several others including auto/body specialists and the response has been 100% that this is not an expected new car reaction unless there was some manufacturing defect- either in the paint or clearcoat prep or application. If anyone else is experiencing this condition with their new Kia, please comment to let me know.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am currently in my third lease with Kia and up until now would have remained a loyal customer. I lease a 2016 Kia Soul. It broke down on the highway with 35,000 miles. I get it taken to Kia of Bedford. That whole experience was awful (Kia Roadside Assistance stinks) I am told that I some type of rodent had been eating wires in my car causing extensive damage and it was not a warranty or Kia issue that I would pay out of pocket. Meanwhile I google this and find Kia uses soy based wire covering which attracts rodents. Kia still will not accept responsibility. I file a car insurance claim. Kia has my car for a MONTH! They never had parts in stock, and kept finding new things wrong with my car. I had to call for updates. I found the people working in the service department to be rude, and very cold hearted to the need of the customer.

I filed two separate claims with Kia Consumer Affairs because I thought at the least I deserved to be reimbursed my car payment for the month I paid and did not drive my vehicle. They do not respond to phone calls or emails. Basically blow you off. My case was escalated to a Steven ** who called me once to say he needed paperwork that I had already emailed him and hasn't responded to a phone call or email since. I sent letters to the executive team and no response. Kia is a joke. They don't care about the customer. They don't care about keeping customers. And they sell piece of ** cars that you get stuck with and they don't feel bad or care about that either. If you want a good, reliable car, good customer service from a business that cares DO NOT GO TO KIA! Kia just wants your money-but they will not provide any kind of good service to earn it. Run, run, run to any other dealership but a Kia dealership.

Original review: May 22, 2018

The Kia Rio is like a go kart and it bumps every bump. The tires were small and I feel if I was in an accident I would not be safe. The seat absorbed stains I could not get out and the radio broke early on about 30,000 miles. The spark plugs needed to be fixed and even though it had a 100,000 mile guarantee, no one honored it and they were all KIA dealers. I would bring it in when it had problems and they would fix it but they said I had to apply for a reimbursement or they didn't cover it.

The dealers were absolute impolite morons. I brought the car twice to them and they danced around the issue and I felt humiliated for taking it back to no avail. Apparently the guarantee cost a lot too. It's 12,000 when the car had 35,000 miles. I was treated so unfair and I wish I could get the 2000 I paid for the guarantee back. What a rip off and for this reason I will not rebuy a KIA. But I gave it a high rating because after my son fixed the cracked spark plug encasement and replaced the plugs it always started up. It even went across country.

Original review: May 19, 2018

This car gave​ me a very good service. Never had a problem with the motor or transmission. Also, it's very economic on gas and responded very well at the road.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I bought a Kia with 0 miles driving off the lot. I unfortunately have been required to get two new axles, but the issue persist (maybe another broken axle now; becoming three), several new tires, which according to Kia, weren't covered under the warranty, or were not the direct result of my axle(s) being broken two (probably three) different times. For life of me I cannot understand this but okay. This is all in addition to my breaks being shot at 37000 miles. So now aside from a large monthly payment I've had to spend $3,000 on a car that is supposedly covered by a full warranty. This goes without saying my backup camera has broken two different times as well as the really cool feature of my mirrors going in while the car is locked has also broken three different times.

After being tired of getting my car misdiagnosed at a Kia dealership I brought to a third party place. The third party told me for a car that has 37,000 miles on it I should not be having these issues. I talk to Kia and some of the representative seem to care while other Representatives not so much. If I could give some advice it is to never buy a Kia or anything that has to do with Kia. As a Kia customer I cannot tell you how dissatisfied I am and I will never buy a Kia again. Indeed, the one thing I do when I meet new people is to tell them to never buy a Kia because Kia is the worst company ever. Don't buy a Kia.

Kia Company Information