1.57/5
  • 1 star
Based on 126 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 30, 2017

1440 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

The car is a 2016 Kia Sportage- It started with all the warning lights coming on while sitting in a driveway after starting, which was in April 2017. I turned the car off and then back on and the lights went back to normal. The next time the car acted the same way I was driving on the interstate at 70 mph and had all the warning lights and the speedometer went down to zero for about 30 seconds and then went back to normal, this was sometime around June 2017. Both of these times I did not think to call the dealership because it was not something that was consistently happening and I was not able to get pictures or videos of it. The next time that something happened was on Oct 2nd while I was driving (I have video proof of this time). I called and made an appointment on the next day, as the service department was closed at the time the car had the issue.

At this time the dealership said there was a switch that they were going to replace and that this was what could be causing the issue. I received the car back on Oct 9th. On Oct 10th while driving back on the interstate the car's lights and radio dimmed and the speedometer and rpm instruments were fluctuating for about 30-45 seconds. I immediately called the dealership where they made the appointment to check the car for the next day. I took the car in and they said that the tech had not cleared the codes from when they replaced the switch from the previous week. So after replacing the tires during this time I received the car back on Oct 12th.

On Oct 17th after starting the car and sitting in the car for about 1 minute, the car started to lock and unlock the doors (the car will usually lock the doors after it is put into drive only unless you press the lock/unlock button). When I heard the locks engaging, I looked at the instrument panel and noticed that my tpms light was flashing, about 10 seconds later all the lights went off and the speedometer and rpm instruments started to fluctuate (I also have video proof of this as well since the dealership said I had to get a video again of what it was doing before they could do anything). I immediately called the dealership and had the car towed to them that day. On Oct 26th the dealership called to say that they could not get the car to duplicate the issue and that I would need to contact Kia corporate to try and get a resolution.

A week later our case was moved to an escalation case manager (who I can never seem to get a hold of). It took about 2 weeks for the case manager to finally call at a time I could talk with her in person, not just have messages on voicemail. They keep the car and test drove it for what I would say was about 2.5 to 3 weeks, when I received a phone call stating that the car had actually finally had the issue while the service guy was driving it, however when it was put on the computer no codes showed up, as it had on the previous times that they had put the car on the computer to look for codes on the issue. During this time I had a loaner from the dealership, which I called on Nov 27th to say that loaner was close to needing an oil change.

On Nov 29th I received a call from the dealership stating that the Kia tech line had looked at the issue and found that items that were under the passenger seat were what was causing the issue and that the service tech had taken the items out from under the seat (which not everything was out from under the seat when I took possession of the car today and I might add against my opinion on taking the car back) and that Kia tech line stated that there was no safety issue with the car should the issue reoccur because for the week that they had test drove it after cleaning from under the seat the issue had not occurred again. The dealership stated that I would need to take the car back and drive it until the field tech could schedule an appointment for sometime in January 2018.

If the issue occurred again I was informed to call the dealership immediately and they would document it and report it to the field tech when he was at the dealership in January. Now I'm am trying to research what my options are, although MO seems to have one of the worst lemon laws for car owners. This will be the last Kia that we buy (and we have had two previous models- a Sedona and Optima)!!! We thought buying it brand new that we would not have any issues but this has been nothing but a headache. Hopefully our car will not seize up while we have to drive it!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a 1-year used 2011 Kia Sportage specifically because it had the 7 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty. The sales person at Stamford Kia knew I was impressed by the warranty but neglected to mention that the great warranty was NOT transferable. The dealership also refused to certify the car saying it cost too much. Their car never drove well and it was noisy. But I was operating under the assumption I was covered if anything major happened. Well, after 6 years and 87,000 miles the engine blew due to a piston. The car is not under warranty and the recalls for the 2011 Sportage do not include my vehicle. I've been the proud owner of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Lexus. Many of the cars lasting 13+ years and 160,000+ miles. NEVER have I had an engine die after 6 years! I would not recommend a Kia after my sudden loss of a car.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do enjoy navigating bad telephone menus and listening to worse music for hours on end, while praying that a minimum-wage customer service rep will pick up? Then you will love Kia Motors Finance. Impossible to deal or even communicate with. I will pay off my vehicle, even though financially disadvantageous, to avoid dealing with these incompetents ever again. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

April 2012 I bought my son Kia Optima hybrid based on advertisement 100k or 10 years warranty. TV’s and sales dealer to move cars they says bumper to bumper but after you’re in the car started having problem with the car. The dealer has to wait for the factory to authorize the repairs. Then the stereo head unit stopped working. The dealer surprised me the head unit is not covered under warranty. It’s only covered 3 years. Took it in again for sway bar problem and it was not covered. The only covered under 100k engine and trainy. What a rip off! Don’t buy Kia unless it’s in writing for the dealer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We got a Kia Optima in 2015 (lease for $650 a month). Ridiculous right? Me and my husband have good credit and good income. We decided to get the turbo one. This car has been giving us problems like you cannot imagine. Problems with the starter, with the engine and every time we take it they charge us for the same thing when they never fixed it the first time. I’m sick and tired of their service where they don’t help us. Never have I had this problem before. I went there once (to Kia in Cerritos) to see if I would take out another car and omg the guy that was helping us was so rude, totally unprofessional. He even tapped my head and I told him not to touch me. We will never buy a Kia again. As we speak we are taking it again for the same problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I love the Kia Spectra because of how it saves gas, it's a very comfortable car. It's compact, enough room inside to fit five people with plenty of leg space.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

This is my 2nd Kia. The first went 10 years without a single repair (I did the routine maintenance). I decided to downsize and purchased the Sportage. It is a pleasure to drive, rates excellent in crash tests & is fuel efficient. These are well built & fairly priced vehicles.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was driving on a parkway when the check engine, check oil and battery light came on and the engine completely seized. Thankfully I was able to pull over and not get into a possibly fatal accident with my wife in the car. I opened a case with Kia customer service. I have gotten nothing but the run around, explained that I am fully aware of the massive recall on thousands of thousands of Kias. This is exactly the issue that this recall is for and numerous reviews that Kia refuses to repair it and that they give the run around. I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint and if need be fully plan to contact a lawyer. Repairs for a seized engine range from 3500-7000 for a new engine and I see countless reviews with the same issue with their cars and dealing with customer service.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

After owning multiple Hyundai and Kia products, I wholeheartedly recommend Kia and Hyundai vehicles - they are an excellent and innovative cars. Great style, great warranty. Excellent dealers and customer service. I would recommend Kia to anyone and would purchase again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My daughter was driving a 2005 Kia Sorento on the freeway when you got off an exit and just when she did she lost power steering, brake light and oil light went on. Luckily she had just got off the freeway or it could have been a very bad outcome. I am trying to find anyone who may have had a problem with this during the 2017 year (but missed the class action suit). I called Kia consumer line and they were nice at first. As soon the a case manager got my case, she completely back peddled and told me not only do I have to tow it, I have to pay for the diagnostics as well and probably to fix it too since it's passed the warranty.

I can't find a recall on the crank shaft pulley but I heard there was a 'voluntary' recall. If anyone received a letter from Kia about the crank shaft bolt or anything similar for their Kia Sorento please let me know. I need something to hold them accountable. Just like many other forums I've seen, they are washing their hands off it. Also willing to start a lawsuit with others as well.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have just bought a Kia Sorento 2018 this month. What I want the public to learn here is not to repeat the same mistake that I made at the dealership. I was actually happy to buy the Sorento, but when I signed the paperworks, I didn’t pay too much attention to the details. All I had in mind was I was gonna pay the amount that me and the salesman agreed on. I did not catch an additional fee for "EXTENDED WARRANTY". This was not even explained to me. I was not aware of it. It costed me $2700, and since this was added to the loan amount. It would basically cost me more. Now when I look at my new Kia Sorento, I feel ashamed of myself for buying Kia. I was just foolish!!! God knows how I could forgive myself.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I purchased a 2012 KIA Optima Hybrid in May 2016. I have all the records of service and oil changes. To make a long story short I was driving to work 10/18/2017 and heard a knocking noise. The car allowed me to get to work and home. The next morning I had the car towed to A mechanical shop who informed me that the engine was gone.

I then had the car towed to Kia dealership where they informed me that there was a recall ion engines, but my car was not included because it is a HYBRID. (I was livid.) I was then told that since my car had 100,000 miles on it it was no longer in warranty and they wouldn't cover it. I was then told that they could open a claim but I would have to pay 124.99 to have them diagnose the engine failure before they could send claim. (Mind you I had just paid to have a diagnostic at a professional mechanic shop).

Hesitant I paid to have them diagnose the problem of engine failure. They sent claim off, asked me to get all of my records, which I did. I was called 2 hours later to say that they will not cover. And I am responsible for 5,700 for a new engine. I firmly believe that Kia should stand behind their product and replace the engine. There are far too many engine related complaints that are not being addressed. I have opened another case and waiting on them to return my call at this point.

Updated on 11/15/2017: This is an update to a previous complaint. Well after waiting almost 2 month getting nothing but a runaround I was told that repairs would not be made to my engine on the 2012 Optima. My case was sent to escalation which is a total joke and the sarcasm is unbelievable. They are not empathetic and basically sound like they are reading from a standard script. It is ridiculous that Kia does not stand behind their products when there is an obvious issue with engines including hybrid. At this point I will file with the BBB and also seek legal counsel.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

While vacationing, the engine on my KIA blew with no warning. No pre-warning engine light, just a complete engine fail. Fortunately it was under warranty, so the repairs will be at no cost to me. Also, I had the good fortune to be sent to a phenomenal service/dealer, Youngblood KIA in Springfield, MO, they've been fantastic!! Unfortunately, the only thing KIA customer service has been able to provide is the runaround. My son and I have contacted Consumer Affairs multiple times and each time I receive a different answer/response.

First the rental is approved, then the rental is in question, then they don't know what to tell me, oy vey!! All I'm asking is for them to stand by their customer, who had to leave the car 7.5 hours from home. I'm requesting a rental and a reunite of my vehicle once prepared. You would think this would be easy, wrong. If this is the type of customer service I receive on a warranty repair, I will NEVER buy another KIA vehicle. In addition, I will tell everyone I know about this experience so the buyer is aware of what they may be getting into. For the record, the service/dealership in Springfield, MO is paying for my rental in Ohio... That is how you serve your customer. I may have to purchase all of my vehicles from them going forward, they've already acknowledged that they'll ship a purchased vehicle to Ohio.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We own a 2011 Kia Sportage. We purchased this vehicle new and have taken great care of it. We have done all routine maintenance and the car looks almost new. We recently heard a knocking or ticking sound coming from the engine, took it into our Kia dealership where we were told the engine would need to be replaced. When I researched this issue, I found the exact same engine issue that resulted in a recall of quite a few models. Unfortunately our vehicle was not included in the recall we were told, and the dealer could not do anything about it.

I called Kia and opened a case, and 10 days later (even though we were told we would get a callback in 2-3 days) we were just told that Kia will not honor their warranty since we are slightly over in miles. A 6-year-old vehicle that has been maintained should NOT have a total engine failure! We also own a 2015 Kia Optima and we will be selling both vehicles now and not recommending Kia to anyone. The fact that Kia does not stand behind their vehicles speaks volumes. No more Kias for us. Very frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We bought 2012 Optima used May 2016. Late October 2016 received recall for engine. December 6, 2016 while driving from FL to SC engine began knocking; pulled off Interstate and turned off engine, checked oil and was in normal range. Started back up and engine seized. Towed to local mechanic for diagnostics; was advised engine blown. Mechanic checked for recall and found engine should be replaced by KIA as part of recall. Vehicle was 3 1/2 hours from home. This is first issue: KIA Roadside assistance (Shelby) said the Optima was not covered under warranty. I wanted the car in Greer, SC at my local dealer. I paid $457 to tow to Greer. After nearly 6 months KIA Corp agreed to reimburse.

Once in Greer KIA, was advised engine recall would cover replacement cost; however it told two months to replace. Was also advised the dealer would have to "retro-fit" original long block with short block engine (finally received repaired Optima first week in February, 2017). Fast forward to August 13, 2017. While driving at approximately 60 mph, engine burst into flames. Through God's grace no one was hurt. In conversation with KIA Consumer Assistance in CA, was directed to Corp Claims. I was contacted by Alex who advised he was handling claim. Alex had a KIA Inspector visit Greer from CA to determine cause of fire. After 4 weeks, Alex said the cause of fire was inconclusive--that is (in my opinion) because the fire was so intense the evidence is destroyed! Originally I told Alex all I want is my 2012 vehicle replaced by KIA and doesn't matter what brand vehicle. His initial offer was a "Goodwill" offer (as he called it) of $4,000.

I refused his offer and reiterated I wanted car replaced and requested a copy of the inspector’s report. Alex said he did not have a written report; I called him a liar and said legally if they inspected my Optima they had to write a report. According to the KIA Greer there was a report written but they were not allow a copy. Alex counter offered a Goodwill offer of $8,000 and wanted possession of the Optima. Again I refused the offer if they were to take the vehicle. Throughout the ordeal, Alex continued to suggest I have my insurance pay. After advisement, I relented and filed with insurance as we had to have a replacement. We have had to pay off Optima and find a way to buy a replacement vehicle. Is there any recourse? Anyone able to help?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kia Optima Ex with 17,000 miles like new and have taken excellent care of my car. My husband washed it last week with a water hose and a big chunk of paint peeled off the hood. It keep coming off. I called the local Kia Dealer Brewbaker Motors and took it to them to see it. Basically they said it's over the 36,000 mile warranty. Nothing we can do. Call Consumer Affairs to see if they will do anything but I doubt it. I had previously called the Consumer Affairs, and had started a claim but had to take it to the dealership to take pic. That was a Big Waste of my Time. I called Consumer Affairs back to let them know I had gone to the dealership and what they said and the case manager ask me what did I want them to do. I said, "Help me get it painted." He said, "Well unfortunately it's out of the 36,000 mile warranty so we can't do anything. I am so sorry." I said, "That is so sad that y'all don't back up the sorry paint job y'all put on the Kia and Hyundai.

I will never recommend nor buy another Kia and let everyone know how they honor their work. It's a shame to own a car only a few years old and the paint is already coming off. He didn't have much to say. I also told him I already read that many more people have complained about this very same problem so People Beware if you Own or are thinking about buying a Kia or a Hyundai after 36,000 miles your Paint is on you.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Bought brand new 2017 Sportage in April 2017. Sept 25 my wife parked it at 6:45 am at work. At 2 pm the car decided to burst into flames totaling the vehicle. Video shows no one messed with it. Has to be an electrical malfunction that started fire. Anyone else have any issues with this type of vehicle?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kia Optima brand new off the lot. It now has paint that is peeling to the point that I cannot even take through a car wash without losing more paint. It also has several spots where the paint is bubbling up and ready to peel (see photos). When I took the car to a Kia dealer body shop I was told that it looked like the car had been repainted and done so poorly as it looks like dirt in several spots under the paint. I have owned the car since it was new and have not been in any accidents so the car has never been repainted. That is just the quality of the paint job when it comes from the factory.

I have contacted Kia corporate (Complaint # ** and **) and got the runaround that the is out of warranty and that I am out of luck. They are missing the point. This should not be happening with a car that is 4 years old. We own a 2011 Kia Forte without this issue. Considering that Kia had a class action lawsuit for this very issue and that they still have a response of "you are out of luck" tells me that I am not going to buy another Kia or Hyundai (same company). Do yourself a favor and do not buy pearl white of anything Kia makes as you will probably end up in the same boat.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I had a horrible experience at the classic Kia in Ellicott City MD. I had complained about an issue with my car that arose a few months after purchasing my Sorrento and they kept insisting it was nothing for over a year and then kept my car for a month where it sat unworked on for two weeks to fix it. I was lied to several times and as compensation they offered me three oil changes. They went out of business before I even needed my first oil change and now Kia is saying they can't do anything about the promise made to me by a specific dealer. As someone who works in customer service I can't imagine treating clients this way and not stepping up to make sure they are happy with my services and product. I would not recommend Kia based on customer service.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

A few months back I received a recall letter for my 2012 Optima Hybrid regarding the engine recalls open for it... Upon receiving it I went to the dealership in which they stated that my car was not a part of that recall. Approximately two months later the engine had a catastrophic failure, in which the short block in containing units need to be replaced as the bearing failed. As per the Kia service rep stated my car is not a part of that recall and because I am the second owner and the car has 69,000 miles it's no longer covered by warranty. My concern is that this issue has many similarities between my vehicle and the recalled vehicle. The car has up to date maintenance and the records to show.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

So I bought a used 2015 Kia Sportage in June 2017, with 41,000 miles on it. Fast forward to nine weeks (August 23) and 2,800 miles later. I was driving on the freeway at night when the check engine light came on followed by all the service lights, then I suddenly began to lose power. Luckily, I was in the slow lane and coming to an off ramp. I was able to get the car to the off ramp signal when it quit altogether. Long story short, I called the dealership I bought the car from who told me to tow the car to Kia service dept. since it was still under the factory warranty.

After Kia looked at the car, they asked for all the service records or else it might not be covered. Of course, buying the car used, I did not have any service records to give them. They ran a diagnostic and told me it needed a new engine and because there was sludge in the engine, the warrant wouldn't cover the repairs. To make matters worse, they quoted me a price of $13,000 plus tax to replace the engine. $13,000! That's more than I bought the car for. According to Kia service dept, the reason for the high quote is because Kia stopped making long block engines so they would need build it from a short block engine. Really, Kia?

You already come up with ways to back out of honoring the factory warranty but then charge consumers $8,000 extra because you decided to stop making engines for the 2015 model? It's a totally insane price. It's a Kia for goodness sake, not a Mercedes. Fortunately, I had an out through the dealership I bought the car from. Since it broke down within 3 months/3,000 miles of the purchase, they took the car back - confirmed the engine was shot, and told me I could have a used engine put in it or they will roll back the purchase. I am definitely going with the rollback. Which makes me sad because I always wanted a Kia Sportage and was very happy when I bought one. This experience has made me feel that Kia does not stand behind their cars, and I will probably never purchase a car from them again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

On June 3, 2017 my 2015 Kia Sedona started making knocking noises. I immediately called Kia and they said I was not covered under warranty. I found that very crazy because I was only at 77,000 miles. So I called a few more times and still got the same response. I had just started paying on an extended warranty the month before so I figured I could use them. I had my van towed to a local mechanic who came with very high recommendations. He worked with me, called Kia (they even told him I was not covered) so we went with the extended warranty. On August 2nd the extended warranty company called me and said that I was covered under Kia after they put in my VIN number. I did this with Kia over two months ago and they said I was not covered. So, I called Kia again and spoke to someone in the main office. They finally said, "Yes, you are covered."

I had my van towed to the closest dealership and now a month later they said they cannot fix it under warranty. The independent contractor that came out said the oil was sludgy and they would not cover it. I gave them all of my oil change records, but they still said no. The car has been sitting for three months now. I still owe on it through the finance company and Kia is telling me the only way I can have it towed from them back to the other mechanic is if I pay them $164 for work they done on it. What??? That is crazy too!!

They want $8,500 to fix it, but the mechanic is way cheaper. I am so frustrated by all of this! It will take me time to save up enough to pay for a new engine and keep up with my car payments. Once I get out of this mess I will never use Kia again and will make sure I let everyone know all the stuff they have put me through. I lost a very good job because I did not have my car. Kia has messed things up for me because they will not honor their 100,000 mile power-train warranty!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I was looking for a car with great gas mileage, comfortable in seating 5 people, and would last for many years. I bought the 2009 Kia Spectra LE and had some reservations as I had always owned either a Ford or Chevrolet all of the years I had driven but the salesman indicated that the nitrogen tires increased the gas mileage. After owning it for 2 years I developed an air leak and kept taking it to the dealership to get nitrogen in the tire until they could get me in for service on the tire. I finally just started using air and found absolutely no difference in my gas mileage so I have since replaced all 4 tires with regular air tires.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I purchased via bank loan a 2008 KIA Sorento SUV Ex AWD in January 2016, sold to me for about $9,995.00 with 60,000 miles. I probably still owe about $7.000.00 to the bank. Initially when I first drove it, my son-in-law noticed it had a loud noise. I accepted the noise coming from the rear considering it was just the design of the car. Not yet one year, I have a continuous unresolved check engine light, that no mechanic shop could resolve, which eventually meant, to take it to the dealer for resolve. The mechanic there could not find its problem, because repairs made previously for the specific code for the unresolved check engine light. So mechanic at Dealership resets the light to off, but mentions, my model year vehicle had a 2010 technical service bulletin (TSB-023) that the rear differentials can be bad in this model year vehicle causing bearings to wear out, and recommending new rear differential replacements.

So I find having a bad rear differential is unsafe to drive. That Toyota issues Recalls for bad Rear Differentials. But KIA gets away with not having to issue Recalls, only Technical Service Bulletins for bad Rear Differentials? The Dealership was aware by receipt of Technical Service Bulletin issued in 2010, that this car could have this problem. As consumer, I am not a mechanic, and kept in the dark for a bulletin I would have to buy to learn all the faults about my model year car. How is it one manufacturer (KIA Manufacturing) does not have to issue recalls for Rear Differentials? That is why it became issue for Technical Service Bulletins because so many KIA models have this problem. But is not a recall? And yet, bad rear differentials are recalls with other manufacturers.

I researched my car prior to deciding to purchase it. I found no repairs, nothing major performed on the vehicle, leading to me, I had a sound car. But it also answers it wasn't inspected for the Technical Service Bulletin issue. No mention about any inspections for recommended Technical Service Bulletin issues. Advise all consumers purchase a technical service bulletin for your used car you ever decide to buy. Not every issue is decidedly recalled. Although with other car manufacturers, a bad rear differential is recalled because it jeopardizes safety, i.e. Toyota. And how KIA apparently doesn't have to recall their 2008 KIA Sorentos for bad rear differentials, which are proven common issues with this model year car makes me question are they allowed to have numerous KIAs with bad rear differentials in Technical Service bulletins and not have this issue as recalls? One person had their KIA wheels lock up suddenly while going down hill, and the vehicle slid sideways when the wheels locked up.

What I am really getting to... it this practice allowed? Make every issue a Technical Service Bulletin, even if it jeopardizes safety? Or, is it up to the manufacturer to determine what issue is safe or unsafe? I just feel like I am being deceived and puts my car at risk to my life and the lives of others on the highway because of possible deception or fraud.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Couple nights ago my son was driving down the road at approximately 45mph. The engine started making strange noise. Then car started shaking. The check oil light came on. Then the car died. I found out that night my car was under a safety recall due to engine failure. I took it to Horne Kia in Gilbert AZ today. They say yes it's knocking but it's not their fault. It's due to low oil. Engine sludge. And, dirty oil. I just changed the oil less than 3 months ago. Put, Mobil 1 synthetic oil in also. Good for a year. And, I checked the oil that night. It was fine. Found a page on Facebook dedicated to this very problem. Sounds like I got the standard corporate response. DO NOT BUY Kia. They are poorly made cars. And, they DO NOT care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My engine seized while on the road. I had no knowledge of the recall on the engine issued 3 months earlier. When I attempted restart, the starter burned up being overpowered by the seized engine. Since we had no knowledge of the possibility of engine seizure, we assumed something was causing a short in the electrical system. We towed the optima to the closest repair shop, as the closest Kia dealer was over an hour away. The starter was replaced, and promptly burned up, again due to the seized engine.

The shop was having difficulty finding any electrical short, so I researched the VIN and discovered the recall on the faulty engine, and had the car towed to Carlock Kia of Tuscaloosa AL., where a charge of $850 for another starter, (dealer service said it was dangerous to the engine and the battery was also bad, of which none of these things were a problem prior to the engine failure). Out of the over $1000 of out of pocket costs due to the engine failure, Kia of America took responsibility for $275. This is my FIRST AND LAST KIA purchase and I say, buyer beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

If you are looking for a LOT of car for not as much money, Kia Sorrento is the car to buy. The salespeople were great and the features are some that my sons don't have in their Lexus and Acura high end models.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Forte - I have had Nissan Altimas for the past 9 years and was not at all pleased with the product or the attitude/care from Nissan or their local dealer. I do however, strongly recommend KIA West for fabulous service on an extremely well built automobile. Like a breath of fresh is my definition of dealings with KIA West and their well put together product.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I purchased my Kia Soul in 2015 at Kia Of Asheville in February of 2015. I haven't had any problems until this morning. I was coming back from vacation & I was an hour away from home. While going up a mountain, all of a sudden my clutch started shifting on its own without me even putting the clutch in (The engine light didn't come on either) then there was a strong burning rubber smell in the car so I pulled over turned off my car & turn the hazard lights on and called my mother-in-law. A few minutes into our conversation my hazard lights died and I could not start the car. I called Kia roadside assistance and they came and picked me up and took me to the Kia dealership where I purchased my vehicle in 2015.

I have been driving manual transmissions for more than 20 years, my last vehicle the clutch lasted almost 6 years before needing replaced. I have never had my clutch and battery go out at the same time. Kia of Asheville is saying that it's not covered under Warranty but they need to get into the transmission to know for sure which will cost more money! They called me back with a worse scenario cost of $1500 unless it's caused by something under the warranty. But Why would I buy a battery from Kia if this one only lasted a little over two years? And what about the clutch!? There's only 50,000 miles on my car & my clutch should of lasted at least 100,000. I know a clutch is a wearable part but it's strange that the battery and clutch went out at the same time because they're two separate entities.

I think there's something else going on and I'm afraid Kia is going to say the Warranty is not going to cover this. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm reading all the horror stories about Kia and it's got me convinced that I won't buy another Kia. I found out Kia & Honda have a lawsuit against them for the type of wiring they use. Did I make a mistake in buying my car?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I have a Kia Forte with 84,000 miles on it and have done oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles with a blown engine. The worst part is I still owe $12k on the damn car and the dealership says a new engine might run between $6 to 8k. Rest of car is in great shape. Kia should be replacing the engine at no cost to the consumer!

Kia Company Information