2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I tried to use it for a flat tire after working late. New cars don't have a spare. They were only going to take my car to a location in the county where I work leaving me stuck with no way to get home or to get my car. A coworker said I could still drive home. I decided not to use Kia, drove home, put air in the tire at a gas station the next morning and went to a tire store to get it repaired.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Reported coolant leak on Oct. 27, 2020. Took car to Doug Smith Kia on Nov. 6, 2020 and picked up loaner vehicle. Nov. 18, 2020 took loaner back and picked up our Sorento. Got Sorento home, within five miles, and noticed that coolant leak had not been fixed. Took vehicle back to dealer, same day, and got another loaner car. Nov. 24, 2020 picked up Sorento again and drove for a few days. After each use strong coolant smell was detected and coolant level in overflow and radiator down. Dec. 3, 2020 took Sorento back to dealer for third time and it has been there ever since, over 4 weeks now. Have NOT been contacted by dealer for update or status. Contacted KIA USA and was given a case number. KIA USA indicated they would intervene and try and help resolve issue with Sorento.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

So, when I purchased by car from the Kia dealership, the finance manager told me that the $19K I would be financing would be at 6% interest, even though the advertised rate on their site is .9 to 2.9% and I was leaving a down payment of $11K. I balked. Well, they got it down to 4.5% and the finance manager said Kia corporate set the rates and it was out of his hands. I signed the papers even though I still wasn't happy with the %. The finance manager failed to charge my credit card before I left so legally/technically I could have said I already paid the down payment and all I would have had to do was show the signed papers. However, I'm not that kind of person.

I did phone Kia Corporate Finance the very next day and spoke to 4 different Finance Supervisors at various times in the morning and they all told me the same story: The dealership sets the tiers and the interest rate on car loans. I phoned the dealership and the Finance Manager told me that whoever I was speaking with was wrong. Well, I went back and forth for a while between Corporate Finance and the Dealership, not getting a straight, verifiable answer from either party. I threatened to return the car.

The finance manager again said it was Kia preventing them from lowering the rate. He finally got all of my credit scores from 3 reporting agencies (782) for all of them and was able to talk Kia into lowering the rate to 3.25% (weirdly on his report, it shows my credit score as 702 from TransUnion. I have no idea where he was getting his info). I still don't know who was being untruthful but I'll never buy another Kia product. If this is the way the company treats their customers, I would advise you to avoid them as well.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My experience with Kia Roadside Assistance has been a very positive one so far. If I need any type of roadside assistance, I give Kia Roadside Assistance a call or I use the app that is on my phone and begin what's needed to get the wheels turning as to me getting taken care of. Every time I have called Kia Roadside Assistance it's usually concerning a battery dead issue. Someone from Kia Roadside takes my information and sends someone out right away to give me assistance. The wait for the technician sent out by Kia Roadside Assistance is never a long wait. The technician from Kia Roadside Assistance is usually kind and straightforward offering help and then solving the problem in what I feel is record time. So, based on my experiences with Kia Roadside Assistance this last year and a half I'm well pleased.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Less than impressed with this company and severely aggravated and disgusted. The Kia experience in general has really gone downhill in the past 10 years, but after my last purchase, it will be my last and I wish I could go back in time. From sales to service to Kia's consumer affairs, everyone dropped the ball and rate a huge FAIL.

Kia Consumer Affairs used to be a last line of sanity and a place to go where you could get help; now they're just people who act like they are doing something, but ultimately just ignore you and never follow up or follow through. As others have said, watch the numbers closely in Finance because they will try to add things without asking. My last experience turned me so sour I'll probably get rid of this brand new 2021 car that is riddled with computer bugs and subpar paint before it's even six months old. The car will start falling apart after the first year anyway. Terrible company with a terrible internal culture in how they deal with customers and they are turning out cheap vehicles.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

To start things off, I just want to say that I WILL NEVER purchase another Kia. Back in November of 2019, I hit a deer and had to have somebody work done at my local body shop. When that was completed, I had to take it to Kia of Lincoln, NE to have the new module that was put in by the body shop reprogrammed. What was supposed to be a simple fix, Kia of Lincoln ended up having my vehicle for almost a month and a half. They also had to fly a tech in from another state to figure out what was wrong with it and why the codes wouldn't clear. They hardly ever communicated with me on what was going on and when I'd call in to get an update, they would have to call me back or say that they were still trying to figure out the problem.

When I finally got it back, it seemed to function as it should. However, that didn't last long though. There was a several times where I would have sensor lights come on and the vehicle would act up. The most recent occurrence was when I was driving home from work and a bunch of sensor lights came on, my cruise control quit working and I had to pull over on the side of the interstate. I ended up having to shut my vehicle off and when I started it back up, it wouldn't shift out of park. I had to have it towed to a Kia dealership in Grand Island, NE the following day to see if they could diagnose the problem. They weren't able to duplicate the vehicle not being able to shift out of park, but they did find that the module that was supposed to be reprogrammed when Kia of Lincoln had it, was never done correctly. This is why the sensor lights kept coming on.

I ended up having a bill that I was told that I was responsible for since the issue was not covered under warranty due to it being related to the accident. I reached out to the dealership in Lincoln several times and they basically told me that they did everything correctly and that there wasn't anything else that they could do. This is when I decided to contact Kia Consumer Services to see if they could help me out. I explained what was going on to them and was told that I'd get a call back the next day. A few days passed by and I still hadn't heard anything. I ended up calling back a little over a week later to find out that my case had been turned over to someone else. No one bothered to let me know once again.

I reached out to them again a few days later to get some answers and was told by the person that I spoke with that it wasn't their problem, so I needed to contact my insurance company I had at the time of the accident. He also hung up on me after he proceeded to say that he wasn't going to argue with me. So, I contacted them see if they would help me out. I finally received an answer back and they agreed to cover the bill after they had already paid for the vehicle to be fixed correctly the first time when Kia of Lincoln had it. I think the part that irritates me the most is, the dealership that didn't fix it correctly the first time wouldn't even help me out and they are the same dealership that I purchased my vehicle from. It's going on a month now and I'm still without my vehicle. I've had to drive other people's to get to and from when this could of easily been taken care of within a matter of a few days.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I bought a Kia Forte for my daughter in 2016. She had the car for about 6 months and it was totaled when a hog ran onto the highway during a night that had heavy fog. We had the gap so I wasn’t worried because it was my understanding they pay the car off. I had asked multiple times if this would affect my credit and I was assured it wouldn’t. The car was totaled in March and in September I get a bill for around $1,100. I called and was informed that gap didn’t cover everything so I paid the bill. I go to purchase a car last week only to find that they had put delinquent payments on my credit report until it was completely paid off. That was from May to November they put delinquent payments every month.

I called to get this removed because that wasn’t what I was told. Kia absolutely refused to remove it and informed me that in the contract you have 120 days to pay off the car. The gap didn’t even pay their part until June. They clearly don’t care or try to work with people. I will never purchase from them again. The man told me that they never said that and acted like I was the enemy. It was on a recorded line, but it is clear what kind of company they are. Save yourself the trouble. Don’t buy from them. This is the first time that I had ever had to use the gap and if you buy from them and it happens to you they will screw up your credit.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Engine went out in my 2017 Kia Sorento. Kia will not honor warranty stating lack of maintenance because we cannot produce 2/5 oil change records they are asking for. Absolutely ridiculous that a car with 40,000 miles and regular mainline should have a failed engine.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

On eight separate occasions, I was charged $139.49 for a total of $1,115.92 AFTER my loan for a KIA Soul had been completely paid off. I have never experienced overcharges to this degree — house, other cars, etc. I contacted KIA Finance on four occasions over three months to no avail. I was promised everything from the “check’s in the mail” to “no record that no check was ever issued” to “a refund in 30 days or sooner” to a “customer complaint has been opened.” Neither CSRs or supervisors were able to make anything positive happen. My bank said it couldn’t get involved so late after the fact. Disappointed and will probably never buy a KIA again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Purchased a 2016 Kia Sorrento with only 49,880 miles. Carfax said it had 30 days and over 10,000 miles of powertrain warranty. Needs a engine and Kia is stating that their internal date was different and I was 2 weeks out of time but the Kia was at the dealership for a week and so I called to ask for some help. They said that they have a goodwill program since it just ran out but only in their internal system which I have ask for that info and had no response, and as you see by the 1 star they do not want to help in my case....

Kia Company Information