Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.37/5

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1013 Kia Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 4, 2019

After owning 3 Hyundai Elantras, I decided to keep it in the family and purchase a Brand new 2015 Soul. I pat myself on the back every day because of that decision. For a comfortable amount of money I get - excellent gas mileage, roomy interior, sitting high lets me see everything very easily, plenty of “stuff inside” - nice size screen (which I never thought I needed, but use it every day), radio, CD player, excellent dash lighting, cruise control - and much more.

It’s 2019 and just took “her” for a 125 mile trip to the beach. You would have thought “she” was brand new. At one point I looked at the dash and realized I was going 70 in a 55 (don’t tell anyone since I have never had a ticket). I was just amazed how smooth and quiet “she” was after four years. Gas consumption was amazing. For anyone looking for a smaller yet roomy car with a low price tag and plenty of options, besides being eye candy, the Soul cannot be beat. Check it out. See for yourself how big small can be.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have had 4 Kias now, 2012 Rio and 2014 Soul both 4 years, 2017 Sportage and 2014 Optima. No problems with any of them but we are low mileage drivers. A word of warning, there are recalls on the 2011 to 2014 4 cylinder engines for failure. Also, get your oil changed at the Kia dealer, their filters are very good and have a unique property of allowing oil to pass thru on start up. Do not use 5w20 in over 60F weather, it's a government scam to get better gas mileage, use the owner's manual to determine what viscosity you should use, during the winter I let them put in their 5w20, during the summer I insist on 5w30. I hope not to have the problems I have read about. Good luck.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased the 2018 Kia Sorento EX 3.3L AWD new in January 2018. I currently have 23k miles on the vehicle now. This vehicle has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars. The AWD system works great, handling is great, power is there when you need it and it's comfortable. Every vehicle has its cons, but I find it difficult to find one with the Sorento. I know a few other people who own a Sorento and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

The interior has a great feel and well put together, unlike a lot of new vehicles and their cheap composite plastic. The lines are almost seamless. The warranty (10yr/100k) seems great until you read the fine print. A lot of components are dropped off the warranty at certain mileage intervals along the way to the 100k benchmark. I did pay for the better warranty which covers all components to 100k miles, but even then other companies have warranties only going out to 24k to 36k miles, which is convenient to drop the vehicle's warranty the moment it leaves "new car status."

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that's considering purchasing an mid size SUV. For what you pay it's the best bang for the buck. There is a transmission software update available. I brought the vehicle back in at 5600 miles to have it completed. KIA sent a $50 Visa prepaid debit card in the mail due to the inconvenience. I've never received anything from any other manufacturer for an "inconvenience."

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The guy who came to open my car door was efficient and awesome as soon as he arrived! Saved my day with my daughter! It was a terrible situation that ended very much appreciated. Locking my key in my car was a new experience for my 2014 Kia Forte. I was nervous about how they would do it but my Kia Roadside assistance was amazing and fast. No damage and friendly. We were at a shopping outlet about an hour from home. No one could bring my backup key to us so we were literally stuck. I did some googling and found Kia Roadside Assistance. Amazing experience. :) My daughter and I enjoyed the rest of our Labor Day together with my car key in my purse lol. :)

Original review: July 10, 2019

The week after I bought my Kia, the Kia dealership in my neighborhood changed to a Lexus. You would have thought the sales team would have told me when selling me my car. I thought I was getting a dealer near my place for easy repairs. So when I broke down with a flat tire, I called roadside. I'm on a lease so covered. But they said I had to have my car towed to two cities away unless I wanted to pay for it and apply for reimbursement. They said I'd just have to wait for my reimbursement. That reimbursement was denied after two months of waiting. According to Kia, I should have had my car towed and repaired over an hour away rather than the block from my house at the Discount Tire center I took it to.

Trying to get them to respond is also a system set up to make the customer just give up: you're not allowed to talk directly to the department making the decision. Each call is to another department that has to advocate for you. That department is always backed up with calls. So to get 300 dollars back from an allegedly covered roadside service need, it has taken three months and it was denied because they closed the Kia dealership in my city.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: July 8, 2019

So in 2013 I get a brand new Kia Forte EX with 42 on the OD. I’m thinking it’s the stuff blue tooth, power windows, all the goodies including satellite radio. The guys at the dealership told me, after 6months trade it in, I love it so much I didn’t and now I’m stuck with it. Now it’s 2019, since 2015 I’ve been having to change out headlights, brake lights, tail lights, two batteries in 2019, and get this about 6 months ago I started smelling a burning smell, well turns out the backlight in back windshield the bulb to it had exploded and the wire had started to burn. That ain’t even the half of it, since 2016, the lights come on by themselves at night. I picked it up on my house camera I have outside. They just came on, and since 2014 acquiring signal regardless of it being satellite am or fm or a cd.

And it don’t stop there, LOL. Omg I could cry and rip my hair out. The speakers go in and out and crackle. The door seals leak. When I turn my steering wheel or put on the turn signal radio acquires signal, cheap interiors that don’t withstand anything. The driver's seat gets hard after a few years too. The lights flicker when I drive sometimes, a big electrical problem... One that goes through the whole car and is a very expensive fix. Oh and wait my shift knob broke. It broke! How does that happen? Cheap paint, this is cheap, an overly cheap car for what they ask for them.

When I use my AC, the brakes act like they don’t want to work. I put the car in park once and when I got ready to get out it started to roll back. And guess what the dealership has changed out fuses and harnesses and other stuff re the lights but somehow can’t reproduce the other stuff so I started making videos and keeping the ones from my security system. Even after an oil change I get nasty smells coming into the car. They even changed the filters. I pray my next car won’t be a Kia. And the gas mileage it’s horrible. Don’t fool yourselves.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Why is the front passenger seat in a Kia Sorento about 4 or 5 inches lower than the driver seat? Granted it is a stationary seat but it feels like you have shrunk 4 or 5 inches when you sit in it compared to the driver seat? Also can this be changed???? Also the engineers who stopped putting the turbo charged engines in the Sorento and the 3rd row seat as a must have was not thinking clearly!!! Gerald **. Owner.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I owned a 2016 Sorento. On May 12, 2019 it inexplicably caught fire. It was towed to the dealership where it was purchased and the service department immediately took responsibility after inspection and since it was still under warranty they were about to begin repairs. Later that day, I was called by the Kia corporation in California (I live in Texas) and asked to give my oil change records. I normally don't keep my records and only had a few, but 2 of the last 3 had been at the dealership and the dealership had just done my Texas inspection 3 weeks prior to this. About 4 days later, Kia called and said that they would not cover the cost of repairs because I didn't have enough recorded oil changes.

Our insurance couldn't pay because it was also determined by them to be a mechanical defect that was Kia's fault. It was not anywhere in my warranty handbook (or any of their handbooks) that I was supposed to keep my records. I asked the lady (Ashley) about that and she said that it was "implied". My father in law is a mechanic and sometimes changes our oil and his too. I wasn't sure why that oil changes would even matter if a vehicle caught fire. I am 51 years old and I have paid off and traded in multiple vehicles including 3 Kias. I owed over $9,000 on this Kia which I had to roll into my next car because the repairs were going to be $11,000. (New engine-minimal body damage).

I have been blessed that this did not cripple us financially; but if we were younger and still struggling, it could have destroyed us. One of the reasons that I had purchased the Kias was because of the 10 year warranty. I feel that Kia was looking for any way to get out of their responsibility to pay. Kia's own service department had already taken responsibility. It is most disheartening that some segments of society have turned to this. Needless to say I will never purchase another Kia again and if you do, be cautious on the warranty. They are not a trustworthy company at the corporate level. Since our incident, I read in consumer reports of over 290,000 other Kias spontaneously catching fire. I will continue my disagreement by bringing a lawyer into it.

Original review: June 11, 2019

2017 Sorento engine seized in October of 2018. Vehicle is sitting at the Cooper Kia dealership in NY. Rewind. Vehicle had a slight knocking sound. Husband calls dealership and states that oil change was already scheduled following day and they say bring it up on Monday as it was Friday. Oil change completed and drove car home. A while later went to run errands and horrible loud knocking at this point. Call Kia and they say, "Drive it up to us". Um ok. Not even 5 mile out of my home city and the freaking car dies on the highway, my husband driving and me following. Had a hard time getting it off to the shoulder and waited for roadside. Kia calls following week and says they need maintenance records before they will inspect. Faxed them over right away and charge me to take the valve cover off. Then then say engine needs to be replaced at my cost! No way!

Under warranty with 32,000 miles. Kia said that oil changes were not legit. They said that because the VIN number not on the receipt, no good. So I argued the fact that the license number on all receipts could be traced to DMV to verify. Duh. Back and forth arguing and they finally decide they will honor warranty engine replacement but my husband has to pay for labor about 1,000. Uh ok. 9 months have passed and engine on backorder.

Call in every month to see status and no one really knows. Kia consumer affairs had the third now rep that just called to see what’s going on. Really? You’re calling us. Billy from Kia consumer says that it doesn’t look like the engine will be in by the time the lease is up. So I’m paying for a vehicle and carrying full insurance that I haven’t driven in 9 months. He proceeds to have us contact KMF and the dealership to try and get out of the lease. We’ve asked to get out of the lease several times and denied. KMF said, "Don’t call and ask us as it is solely up to Kia and the dealership." Ridiculous runaround and fed up with the terrible lies.

Received a campaign letter about software issue and knocking engines to update in February. Maybe if the stinking sensor worked and warned people beforehand they could fix issues before disaster strikes. Or perhaps stop making the darn crappy engines and blaming consumers. What a disappointment. Husband went up to get plates off vehicle last week. Contacted BBB and attorney general. We shall see. I don’t want this SUV back. Never buy a Kia and don’t let them convince you that it’s your fault. FYI number 4 cylinder misfire code and crankshaft misaligned. Kia, your engines suck and you know it. With all the lawsuits and recalls, don’t be surprised if they go belly up in the industry. Awful experience.

Original review: June 10, 2019

DO NOT PURCHASE A KIA - Kia Motors America IS AWFUL! I bought a car from Peak Kia in Colorado Springs, CO in July 2018 right after my husband returned from his deployment. It has since been in the shop since Jan 14, 2019. They have never fixed the initial issue of it not starting properly and have found various other items wrong with the car. I contacted Kia Corporate about a buyback (not lemon law) in February 2019 and they said they would process it and to send the paperwork. I did this in March 2019. Kia Corporate has escalated my case to upper management and the representative has called me two times since the case was assigned to him. He will not return phone calls or emails. The communication is not there and nothing is being done.

Peak Kia has stated many times they do not know what is wrong with it; corporate refuses to do anything. I have been driving a small car since January when my vehicle is an SUV. We are still paying monthly payments on a car we haven't driven since January. I have all items documented but both Peak Kia and Kia Corporate do not appear to care. I am sick of this and something needs to be done. Being called two times in 5 months by my case manager from corporate is absolutely ridiculous. If the vehicle cannot be fixed in 5 months, it clearly can't be fixed. It needs to be bought back or they need to take it back for what I paid and supply me with a new vehicle, as well as all monthly payments, insurance and inconvenience fees. Kia Motors America is the worst company- buyers beware!

Kia Company Information