Kia

3302people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Kia :

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

They gave me power of attorney to someone else's car!!! I'm financing two vehicles. I got married & changed my last name. Dmv won't do a name change because I don't have the vehicle titles. Which is obvious. AAA & DMV both said financing company needs to do it. Kia refuses to do so. They sent me limited power of attorney for both cars for me to take to DMV to do by myself. Aside that DMV can't accept it. It actually turns out they sent me a power of attorney for someone else's car? Wth!!

On top of that they tell me I need to wait another 10-14 business days to wait for it to be corrected. Plus I need to call back Monday, because it's Friday evening & the department who issues this forms is closed. I have to call a 5th time to request a new & corrected power of attorney with my correct vehicle information. Plus send a written request for them to send the title to DMV. Which takes 10-14 days for the request. Horrible service & customer service. Worst finance company ever! Who sends out a power attorney to a stranger's car. Scary that such information would be released like nothing and take no responsibility for such mistake. Violation of privacy and confidential information.

My car has been intermittently cutting off. The last incident was on Monday morning, it would not start - even though all the functions came on. Car had to be towed to the Dealer. Dealer confirmed that the car was NOT starting, and it was reverting to the "default setting/test setting" or something like that. They were looking into it. Well - they did not give me a loaner vehicle - even after repeated request, and the Customer Complaint service informed me that I need to "secure transportation on my own" and that he too has to do so for his own CHEVY.. talk about customer service that SUCKS!!

Well, it is Day 3 - no calls from KIA to me, I am the one who has been checking on the status of my vehicle daily. The KIA rep supposedly came out yesterday but because they are not able to "duplicate" the error - they are unable to assist. So the bottom line, from the Complaint's service Rep that I just spoke with is - "Take the car, since it starts now... but we cannot guarantee it will not do the same thing." Also, I've found online complaints where the KIA has just cut out while driving. This horrifies me, since I have young children and we have long commutes. I need some help, please.

My story is much like all the rest. Car runs fine then engine goes boom. It happened to me 1063 km over warranty. Kia dealer told me to send proof of maintenance. I caught Kia service advisors in a lie twice when I brought the Optima in for dashboard display issues, so I never took it back. I do my own oil changes so I am expecting to be told they won't honor warranty. I have resigned myself to being screwed as many already have, and now my mind turns to get even.

Hit the offender in the pocketbook and capitalize on bad press. I am getting cards printed. One side just says, "Google Kia engine failure." The other side will have a selection of links to sites as this. I will stand on the sidewalk in front of Kia dealers and hand them out to people driving onto the lots. Then when they call the police, I call the media. When I see a Kia anywhere, a card goes under the wiper.

The US has better consumer protection laws than Canada so guerilla tactics are called for. Never do anything illegal, never trespass, always be polite, always be a serious pain in the ass. A grass roots revolt may not resolve the matter, but it will make their lives unpleasant and bring me a form of cold comfort. Luckily I am semi-retired and have the time to take this on as a hobby. Kia's approach is just plain bad on so many levels and we consumers shouldn't just roll over. Hyundai had the same problem, but they stood up for it and kept some credibility.

I can't afford to keep a dead car as yard art so will have to figure out how to fix it, then dump it, but it violates my ethics to sell it to some other unsuspecting schmuck. If Kia only warranties replacement engines for 12 months it shows how much confidence they have. That said, if it was a 200K warranty it would still be worthless.

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento. The paint is falling off and Kia won't do a ** thing about it. I payed 38k for this piece of **. It's the 3rd Kia I have owned. Never will buy this crap again. Kia you suck and I hope you go out of business. Rusty Wallace is the worst Kia dealer of all.

I MELANIE ** financed a Kia Optima on 02/11/2014. On 07/01/2016 while traveling out of town my vehicle shuts off with no warning going 70 mph. My family and I were almost involved in a serious accident. I contacted Kia, and the car was towed to Lee Kia in Ft. Walton Fl. on 07/02/2016. On 07/05/2016 we were told by Kameron at Lee Kia that they had no idea who dropped the car off or why it was even there. I explained what had happened, and was told by Chris ** that we would receive a rental car since we were so far from home. [500 miles]. We called Lee Kia the 6 and 7 of July only to be informed that our car would not be fixed by Friday July the 8th Our departure date to head back home. I said "Ok. Where is the rental car." Kevin ** said "you will be hearing from Kia Consumer Affairs."

We got a call from Chris ** on July the 8th that our car was not being covered because of bad maintenance records. I said "take the motor apart and you will see that the engine has been maintained." We now are responsible for our own rental car cost and it is going to be 10,000 dollars to fix your car. After this call I drove my sister's car to Lee Kia and took the license plate off the vehicle and took pictures of the engine which was very clean for 56,000 miles. I then asked Kevin ** why I was denied when the motor wasn't even diagnosed, and he said Chris ** would not approve a tear down of the motor. I explained that was a very bad way to handle a horrible situation for a loyal Kia customer. Approx. 4 pm Central Time I received a call from Chris ** that he would approve a tear down if I agreed to pay 586.00 if the motor was dirty.

I gladly agreed, because I maintained the car and at home In Vero Beach Fl I had a service campaign letter from Kia that covered the rod bearings in the motor, which by the way I was told by every Kia representative involved that there was no such letter. Approx. 6 pm Central time I rent a car from Enterprise in Ft. Walton at a cost of 428.00, which I paid out of pocket. We arrived home in Vero Beach Fl on July 9. On July 10 I found the service campaign letter. On July 11 I reported and emailed the service campaign letter to all parties involved. Received a call from Chris ** that he received the letter, and he then stated he was aware of this service campaign letter when just a week before he and all involved said no letter existed. This was a bold faced lie. We then asked how is the tear down going and again about a rental from Kia. We were instructed from Chris ** that they have not done the tear down because they're busy.

Meanwhile still no rental car from Kia. We were late the whole week to work because we had to get rides and pay 15 dollars a day for cabs. On July 12 was informed the tear down took place. They said it was the rod, but still would not tell us if it was approved. Still no rental from Kia. On July 14 receive a call from Chris ** that Kia was going to fix the car at no cost to us. I explained this has already cost me more than a 1000.00. How is that no cost to us. No response and still no rental car. I then explained to Mr. ** that I was tired of the lies and the bs and I was taking my story to the media and social network. Chris ** then explained that it would not be in my best interest to contact the media basically threatening me.

On July 15 I was granted a rental car approval finally. Then come to find out it was actually approved on July 12 but no one ever called us to tell us we were approved. I was also told by Chris ** that my case had been transferred to Richard ** in the expediting division. That was July the 15. Today is August the 3. The car was fixed on the 28 of July. I have heard from the expediting division 2 times since July 15. My car still sits at Lee Kia with more lies about when they are shipping it to us. I was also informed that my new engine comes with a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. That warranty tells me that Kia doesn't even have confidence in their new motors. I have referred my friends and family to Kia before this incident. Now the 5 people that purchased Kias have seen the problems we have had and are not very confident in Kia or Kia's ability to resolve problems.

Whenever that Optima finally does arrive we will be looking to trade it in on a different vehicle, and I can assure you it will not be a Kia or Hyundai. I will be telling everyone I know that has a Kia or is talking about purchasing one BEWARE. This has been nothing short of a total failure of process and customer service on Kia's behalf. We were going to trade our Optima in on a Kia Sorento 7 months ago. I am so glad I didn't follow thru with that transaction. Here is the problem as I see it. Kia knows these motors from the Hyundai plant in Alabama have had nothing but problems and instead of making it right they put the consumer through things like we have been thru. We have been to hell and back and lied to by every Kia party involved. The only way I would ever do business again with Kia is if they offered me a real solution to the problems they have created. Until I get a formidable response to this letter I will be boycotting Kia and all of its products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

I have returned to the Yonkers Kia dealership on Central Park Avenue with legitimate receipts documenting the care and service on my car today, August 5th, 2016 11:57 AM. This was after speaking to a service representative/worker by the name of Devon who has been handling my service appointment which began on Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016. In discussions, he stated that I would have to support proof of maintenance on my car which would allow my repairs done under our warranty. He also indicated for me to "take my time and gather them up, to bring them in when ready." Devon suggested I could either email him the receipts or photograph them and send via text.

At the present day of August 5th, 2016 at 8:39 am, I received a text message from Devon requesting to bring in the receipts. Wanting to expedite repairs on my vehicle, I immediately proceeded to the dealership. While there, Devon make copies of all of my receipts and submits them to KIA. After this step, he informed me that he would let me know the status of the car. Later the same day, I received another text from him stating that Kia denied the warranty without any explanation.

My wife Maria **/ co-owner of this vehicle, after hearing what had transpired, got on the phone with the Kia Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-333-4KIA at 2:45PM in order to receive some kind of explanation as to why our warranty was not honored since we are still within the parameters of the warranty and the car is fairly new. She spoke to a representative called Zenith (ex#**). My wife explained the situation to the young woman. My wife Maria explained how we had done all the steps the dealership had asked of us in order to have the warranty honored. Zenith stated "Kia is declining repairs based on incomplete reports." Maria asked the rep. to explain what she meant by 'incomplete'. Zenith went on to explain how the reports were missing mileage and VIN number.

I saw the puzzled looked on my wife's face since the receipts that were right in front of us had the mileage on them. The rep continues to argue how there was not mileage on them and my wife Maria interjected guiding her to the section of the document pertaining to the mileage. "Oh, I see" the young lady mentioned. She then blurted out that the VIN number was not attached to the receipts making them incomplete-that receipts should all have specific information on them. Maria explained how we took notes and recorded the care and keep based on the factory manual that accompanied the sale of the car. The maintenance log provided by KIA does not include details of VIN number or plate number when logging car information. It only asks the consumer to provide miles, RO number, date, authorized signature of who serviced the car, and Dealership name, which we have.

My wife asked what now when we had done everything that was required to be denied on the warranty of our new car. Maria asked if there was a manager present or perhaps take this claim to corporate due to its inaccuracy and illogical explanation. Zenith said she would send the case to the Techline Department and to be forewarned that whatever action they decided on, would be the final! The final statement was that this office would take 2-3 business days to respond. Call ended.

I became extremely disillusioned that after bringing the car into KIA due to an issue that can be tied to the manufacturer. We were denied service under the rightful warranty which we are still under. Our car is fairly new with less than 25k miles. We carried out all of the steps thus far including taking care of our investment, proving our car has been taken care of including keeping meticulous annotations (kept in the log provided by KIA) and receipts to date. Our receipts have the information given by the service providers and we wrote down what the KIA maintenance log suggest we do. Now we are being taken due to technicality.

This is another example of big companies looking for loopholes and using tactics to swindle hard working Americans of their hard earned paychecks. We have supplied all of the information we were asked to in order to receive service under our warranty. However, KIA does not want to honor us. How were we to know that 'certain' specifications were to be kept track of. These things being asked of us now are not stated in the warranty. Our paperwork/log/receipts are being taken apart with prejudice in order to not provide services and rectify this issue that may soon be proven to come from the manufacturer. Your vehicle's maintenance log is flawed and does not provide the entries you are now asking us to submit."

In further research on the matter of performance, quality, reviews on KIA vehicles posted with consumer affairs, https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/kia.htm KIA gets a one star rating. 150 out of a 1,259 reviews. I have used these other formal complaints as reference to benchmark the quality of KIA's cars and customers satisfaction.

Furthermore, additional findings in my research which verifies inconsistencies In KIA's commitment to safety, quality and customer service is documented by reputable sources. Overall customers reviews of dissatisfaction out of 1,259 reviews https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/kia.htm. Yonkers Kia had 31 complaints closed in the last 3 years/ 13 within the last 12 months. sited with an F- rating on a scale A+ to F.

We are in such dismay regarding this issue. Moreover, after careful research on the situation, we are concluding that based on the poor handling of our case and so many others like ours, present and previous, demonstrates that KIA and its affiliates /dealers and corporate, are not about safety and customer satisfaction. After spending time evaluating KIA vehicles, I asked the question with a hunch. What were the circumstances that prompted the recall on the brake gear lock of the Sorento models, in which I am the owner of such vehicle? I have found it in a web link from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www.safercar.gov/

We are completely torn and appalled at the fact that this new vehicle is having this issue affecting many other owners like myself, yet KIA feels they should not honor what they offer under their warranty. This is a safety issue that can affect many. If any part of the engine or the entire engine itself breaks down while driving our kids to school and to and from work, this can cause major deaths and accidents. No one would like the matter of negligence of their records. Additionally, would it take losing lives or additional injuries as it has transpired in the case of the service brake recall to prompt your commitment to satisfaction? All we ask is that KIA honors its warranty rather than finagle use on the fabricated notion that we are at fault rather than poor engineering.

Please forward to any other KIA Executive Team member that should be informed. We just want to share with you an extremely disappointing Customer Experience and lack of Customer Care from one of your car dealers located in Delray Beach Florida. On Saturday, July 30th my wife and I dropped by your dealer in Delray. After discussing pricing and other related information, we proceeded to sign the necessary papers for your team to prepare the loan documentation and other documents necessary for us to come the next day to pick up a car that your team said was supposedly somewhere in Florida.

After various phone calls during Monday, August 1st we agreed with your team to drop by the Dealer at around 7:00 PM ET, which we did. When we arrived, for our surprise your team shared with us that the car they were expecting to be delivered to their dealership for us (a 2016 Kia Sorento white LX) was involved in an accident. The car was being drove by someone instead of being delivered in a toll platform truck to avoid precisely these type of issues. Your management team should learn from this experience.

In summary, we spent hours, expected a new KIA SUV be delivered to us today Monday August 1st. For our surprise nothing was delivered to us because after such a poor Customer Experience your team was not able to deliver as expected. We shared with the Manager what we expected because of the frustrating and disappointing customer experience, and that KIA management should review our situation and at a minimum propose to us a 2017 with the same financial numbers we already discussed. Your Manager understood our frustration, but was not able to compensate us for such a bad customer experience. He proposed us a 2017 but it represented around $4K dollars more than what was already discussed and agreed to (because that was all he was able to do at this level), which is NOT ACCEPTABLE to us, that was not what we originally agreed to.

They ruined our weekend, our illusions and our expectations... Is this what KIA calls Customer Satisfaction? This transaction took place on the last day of the month for your Dealer. We do not want to think that they just wanted to book the sale and once the month was over they left us hanging with the problem. If you measure your Dealers based on executed sales, then this is a mute point, but if it's based on sales book, then this is a problem. I just want to make sure I bring this issue to the attention of the KIA Management team, because this the worst Customer Experience I have suffered in my lifetime. KIA lost a potential customer for life. I will make sure that I share my experience with family members, work colleagues, and in social media as well. This should have never happened. A satisfactory customer resolution should have been found immediately to this situation.

Our 2012 Sorento was serviced by the KIA service department where we bought the car. We were driving in town at 35 mph when the engine just stopped. The engine had no warning lights and no noises. We luckily were near a parking lot and were able to coast in. Called the KIA service to receive the car and diagnose the problem. They tell us the main engine bearing failed and we will need a new engine. If this is a problem KNOWN to KIA, they should replace the engine for us. At no cost. We had a Subaru Forester for 260,000 miles with absolutely no engine problems! I think this needs more investigation.

Bought a KIA Sedona a month ago. Have only driven it back and forth to the dealer and on a couple of errands when my other vehicle was not available. I can't stand to look at it. Might love driving it and such a warranty it would be great but such deceit and lies from the dealer and coupled with incompetence I'm perplexed. First the bait and switch was played on me. Then when I went back to cancel the deal within 72 hours as is the state requirement, they placated me by owning up to the deception and said they'd order the missing parts and those would be there in days, middle of the next week for sure.

Now a month later still not here. Didn't mail me the title but called me to come pick it up 60 miles away. Didn't recognize from the name of the city and the different area code that I was not in the area. OK mail it. 4 days later not here. Called, they hadn't sent it. Now I just want to pick up the title and trade this thing as this Company nor this Dealership just cannot be trusted. Certainly not to do the maintenance or warranty repair. Will be traveling there to pick up the title and driving directly to Toyota so see how I can minimize my losses with a Sienna.

I first want to say I gave 1 star because it is required before submitting. I purchased my 2013 Kia Rio LX brand new at the end of 2013. I have had several problems. All four tires keep going flat. A squeaking noise every single time I drive it. The air conditioner not working correctly and has a foul smell when it is on. Recently, I went in for my 3000 mile oil change (so I could keep my warranty up-to-date) and I was informed of the following: the rotors, breaks and the housing for the breaks are rusted out. In addition, the tailpipe and the housing holding the tailpipe to the car rusted and the bolt holding on the timing chain and belt in the motor, yep RUSTED!

This car was brand new when I purchased it at the end of 2013. When I contacted Kia and got a case number, they came back and said, "this is normal wear". How can this be "normal wear" this car is about 3 years old. I would expect this from a car that was 6-10 years old. THIS is a public safety issue. IF any part of the brakes fall off while driving, this will cause an accident. IF the time belt/chain becomes unattached-this will cause an accident. If the tires leak too much air while driving or burst, this will cause an accident. In addition, there is a computer upgrade kit that should be installed in every car, however, since my car is NOT having issues that warrant the upgrade, then it is not available to me. My car does not have the "light" on or making the acceptable noises to get the upgrade.

I have taken the car into the Kia Service Department, they state "they can not pinpoint the slow leak issue with all 4 tires". They put air in them and cleared the sensor-but would not look into further or try to fix the issue. They did not fully inspect the air condition issue, because they "did not have enough time". DID I MENTION THE CAR WAS THERE FOR 6 HOURS??? "And the rust was normal wear". I do not care where you live in the US or Canada, a 3 year old car should not have rusted out like this car has. The 10 year/100K mile warranty is a scam! They have loopholes in every corner. I am disabled, have limited income and I got ripped off by Kia. I will NEVER EVER buy another Kia again!

The buying process of my 2016 Kia Sorento was great! I bought at Ourisman Kia of Chantilly in VA. I bought a brand new vehicle despite the fact that I absolutely LOVED my paid off 2002 Chevy Tahoe. It was giving me a lot of maintenance issues so I hesitantly said "I'll buy new and save on repairs". All was great up until 5 months of having the car. It shut off on me twice out of nowhere. Both at red lights. I took it in for the scheduled oil change and so that this issue could be taken care of as well. The first response was "We can't seem to find the issue. Would you like to take it home or leave it." Well of course I chose to leave it. A week went by no word other than they had to wait to get something back from Kia. After a month of being in a rental the matter was resolved. They had to replace the intake manifold (yes on a brand new car). 8 months later the car was acting up again. It would not accelerate and made a terrible noise along with rough idling.

I took it in twice both times the dealer could not "duplicate" the problem so they couldn't do anything and I had to pick up or be charged for the loaner. All oil changes had been up to date via this same service shop. The car failed on me again a third time, I had it towed and after emails and text to the GM and service manager they were able to duplicate the issue. The ECM was then replaced (the car is a little over a yr at this point). I stressed again and again that I did not feel safe in this car. I am a single mother of 4 and work my butt off for a reliable vehicle and this vehicle was not it! I questioned if I had not been sold a lemon and that issue needed to be addressed. However both the GM and SM assured all was well now. I went on a 3 wk road trip right after this last visit at the end of June. Thankfully I made it problem free on my trip. But on my way home from NC on 7/24 the car overheated with no warning indications whatsoever.

I was able to pull over to the shoulder before it just cut off on me. It was towed yet again (not even a month later) to the nearest dealer in NC. They have no idea why it overheated. Why so much work has needed to be done to such a new vehicle and informed me that the motor will probably need to be replaced. WHAT!!! I am so sick of this car and the dealer not caring at all that it was faulty from the start. I will be taking this up with an attorney and recommend not to buy KIA. I have been covered by its good warranty yes but that doesn't cover the safety of my kids or I. As far as the mechanics of the vehicle and the customer service when problem arise this purchase was not worth it!!

I was told the front bumper was replaced before I bought pre-owned. Within a month the paint bubbled and peeled. Bolts were not put in and I am now being told I ran over something and that is why the bolts are missing. I took it back when something rattled and fell off and was shown that a piece of the bottom panel was ripped off. This happened on the freeway after the rattling started about three miles before. I told them they did not replace the bolts when they took the bumper off to paint. They insist I ran over something but only the bolts on both sides are missing. I noticed the front bumper stuck out in spots after I bought it so I know that it was never bolted properly from the beginning.They are saying that if I don't pay to replace the bottom panels they will not allow my warranty if something breaks and the paint is now peeling and bubbling AGAIN. I am going to contact KIA customer service and if it is not fixed I will seek advice from an attorney.

This is the first brand new car I ever bought. I bought it because I was sick of always having to fix my used car. I wrongly assumed I would not have this problem with a new car. I bought it in October. The acceleration sticks on gear change, but I didn't want to spend my life in the shop (again) so I deal with it. When summer hit, I found out the AC didn't work. I scheduled a service time. The guy on the phone was a bit rude but I chalked it up to him probably having a bad day.

They dye the AC and tell me to come back in a week. It's still blowing cold, but I bring it back as requested. They cannot find the issue, so they send me on my way. Two weeks later, it's blowing hot air again. I have to go back. This time they tell me the hose is broken and replace it. It took them 3 days to replace a single hose. While I am grateful I received a car to drive in the meantime, it was the most disgusting pile of garbage I had ever had the displeasure of driving. Whoever had previously owned this vehicle did not in any way take care of it. After day 3 of calling and waiting for the car to be fixed, I drove over to the dealership after work and vowed to wait until they took care of it, regardless how long it took. I walked in and they asked if I was there to pick up my car. They never bothered to call me.

Today I had a flat tire. No spare in the trunk, which I had foolishly thought would be standard for every vehicle. I called the dealership and was told to call roadside assistance, which was free. Okay, fair enough, but if the tire can't be fixed, I can't afford to buy a new one right now, so I don't know if that's a good idea. I was blown off (same guy as earlier, still rude so obviously not just a bad day thing) and told to just call roadside assistance and "go from there." I was also told that tires were not covered under the warranty, which was the only question he bothered to answer. Of course they aren't.

In all, because I did not have a spare tire, it took me 6 hours and a total loss of days wages to get a flat tire fixed, and surprise! It's covered under warranty. So not only was the guy rude, but he lied to me too. I have become more acquainted with the service staff at Kia in the last 9 months than I was with my mechanic in the last two years of my used car. I bought a new car to avoid that.

I am very dissatisfied with Kia and their customer service. I requested a manager when I got there, to discuss the issue of the rude representative, and he never once showed his face in the time I was waiting for my car to be fixed. Because of that, I came here to post a public review instead of keeping the issue between me and the manager.

I have a 2013 Kia forte. I am the second owner when I bought it. I had no issues with this car. I bought it with 76000 miles on it. I had it for 3 months now and now everytime I change to the 3rd it grinds. I don't have any warranty or anything like that. I have change the transmission oil to see if that will help. But nothing. I got told by fixing this issue will be kind of expensive now. By looking all these review I understand now it was a bad decision buying this type of car.

2017 Kia Sportage drove out of showroom. First road trip check engine light goes on. Stopped at Savanna dealership. 2 hours later they say problem is fixed. Leave their dealership. 2 minutes down road light comes back on. Service manager says ignore it and drive on. Make it to Brunswick and air goes out. Service dept out to lunch. Drove in summer time. No air to Jacksonville Fl. Got rental car and left Kia there to be fixed.

Ray ** was amazing and so helpful. He brought my keys to Orlando so I could drop off rental car late Sunday night and drive my fixed car away. Check engine light comes on when I reach Georgia. Get back. Take car to Brian at Galeana. They give me loaner since Kia managers stepped in. Fixed that problem and gave me free extended warranty. 2 weeks ago family trip to Florida air goes out soon as we make it to Florida. Aug. 1st have appt. Today gas flap will not open so I can put gas in car. Kia is the worst brand new car I have ever owned. My problems never end and car hasn't even had first oil change. Yes I have spoken to customer assistance many times. Julie ** is my case manager who is zero help!!!

I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Over the year or so, the car started blowing huge plumes of smoke, especially after oil changes. The dealer said it was probably the place we took it to get the service, that they must have spilled oil and it's burning off. But, it continued, up until recently when we started getting a knocking noise. It was really loud going uphill. We got a notice from Kia to have it checked because it is a problem apparently with other Kia Optimas from 2011-2014. Took the car in with the needed maintenance records, but they got declined by Kia Warranty people. We were told to get better/accurate records that took hours to drive having them printed out at different locations. (It was 114 degrees today in Vegas by the way).

We ended up doing research and found this is a HUGE problem with hundreds, if not thousands, of other Kia owners, and better yet the same problem has been a recall with Hyundai who make the Sonata, which is the same engine as the Optima. Kia has been turning down warranties knowing damn well they are at absolute fault for THEIR crappy designs! Shame on Kia and I will never buy from them again...first and LAST!

So, this is the newest car I've ever owned. Being 22, I finally established enough credit to buy a nicer car for myself! Yay! I've only had my Rio for about six months. It's a 2013, so there's still a warranty left. Smooth sailing until my baby took a turn for the worst. My engine started making a knocking noise and I broke down 40 miles from home. Panicking, I wasn't sure what to do (as I've never dealt with warranty issues). I then looked into my owner's manual to see that I have roadside assistance! They stayed on the line with me, asked me if I was okay, and asked me if I had a way home (which I did). Eventually they towed the car to the nearest dealership. The dealership called me the next day letting me know that the engine had blown. My heart literally sank into the ground. He said he would put in a claim to Kia to fix up my little red car. I called everyday for a week, and the service manager hadn't heard anything back.

So finally I called into corporate to see what was going on. They told me that they had trainees in the department that handles those things that were just getting the hang of things there and apologized for my wait. The next day I hear back from the service manager of my local dealership telling me that Kia approved my warranty claim because my car was well maintained, that I can pick up my rental car, and my Kia is getting fixed this week! Although having no car for week was kind of inconvenient, I understand that customer service can be kinda rough sometimes, especially with trainees. All in all I'm happy that Kia took care of me. Thanks Kia! :)

2013 KIA OPTIMA ENGINE BLOWN - I'm adding on the list of Kia Optima cars engines that have recently been coming up with their engines needing to be replace. Our Kia 2013 has over 100K so would not be under warranty anyway but I feel with all these complaints I'm finding here, that this should be a recall issue. It's too coincidental numerous people are having this same issue. This has happened to our 2013 Kia Optima a couple of weeks ago while traveling at 65mph on our way to Texas from Indiana.

Like all other complaints I've read so far Kia is not responsible for any of this and it's all on the consumers lack of maintenance and there's nothing Kia dealerships (our dealership was Tyler of Niles, Mi.) can do about it if you can not prove every oil change, even then they still might not cover it. We are the 2nd owners of this vehicle. How can we obtain oil changes before we even owned the car? I will be looking in the class action lawsuit that has been started recently against the Kia Optima.

Bought a 2015 Kia Sedona. First year, shoulda known better. Great looking vehicle, lots of good features, drives good, mpg so-so. We've put 45k miles on it. Dealer is Kia of Auburn (AL). First thing, car was delivered with 320 miles on the odometer. I complained, was told they had to drive it to me from a dealer in GA, about 130 miles away. No explanation for the extra 190 miles. I suspect it was used as a demo. About 2-3 months into ownership the check engine light came on, and after using the UVO technology to schedule an appt with the dealer the answer: "No problem found. Keep driving." This event has happened about 10 times in the past 15 months. We stopped taking to the dealer after the 4th or 5th "don't worry, be happy" answer.

Lately the battery has been dying overnight. 1st time the answer after a trip to the dealer was that we needed to lock the vehicle in our garage so the car would not "seek" the remote key all night long. Kinda made sense; until the battery was dead after an overnight with the van locked in the garage. The 2nd trip for this prob to the dealer: Answer: "Battery checks out ok, so next time leave it dead and have it towed to us!!!" OK now I'm pissed. I'm not having my 62 yr old wife deal with a dead battery whenever that happens. We bought 5 Honda Odysseys in a row, thought the Kia might be something different. Boy were we RIGHT. It's different. It doesn't work, and the dealer doesn't know squat about it. Bad company, bad dealer, bad customer service and we are headed to Honda next time. BUYER BEWARE.

My car is a 2012 Kia Forte EX with ~52,000 miles on it and a good service record (according to a Kia dealership). I recently took it to the dealership for service on a rattling noise in the front, passenger side. When I drive on moderately bumpy roads at low speeds (<25mph), the car sounds like parts are moving about in that one location. After running a diagnostics on the car, the service department concluded that the car's axle is loose due to normal wear. In other words, the car just makes this terrifying noise because it's either poorly constructed or made out of cheap or unstable materials. They assured me that the loose axle is safe and does not affect operation of the car. This defect, however, makes my car very unpleasant to drive and devalues the car. Every single passenger I have had in the car since it started making the noise has expressed concern about whether the car is safe to drive.

I doubt any buyer will be interested in a vehicle that sounds like it's going to fall apart, regardless of whether it's actually going to fall apart. Further, how am I supposed to determine if/when the noise develops into something that is actually unsafe or affecting operations? Unfortunately, the defect is not covered under warranty, which only covers defects that impair the car's operations; a repair for this will run $400-600, according to the dealership. I really regret buying from Kia (car was paid in full at time of purchase) and I will certainly not purchase from them again. I invested money with the expectation that the car would provide about 10 years of service without causing any significant problems. As of late, I can't imagine driving this car around for another 5 or so years while hearing that awful noise. What a disappointing waste of money and a distressing driving experience.

(Note: To be fair, the only other problem that I've had is with the ignition. At one point, the car was not registering that it was in park and would not release the key from the ignition when parked. I had to leave the key in the ignition for a couple of days while Kia ordered a part to correct this problem (at no charge). The car also makes vibrating noises in the cabin sometimes but this is only a minor nuisance.)

2013 Kia Optima Engine (known problem - no warranty coverage) - Over a month ago, I was driving in Albuquerque, NM when I began to notice a rumbling sound coming from my car. The car lost power driving and I struggled to even get up the hill to my home. I took the car to my local dealership (Fiesta Kia of Albuquerque), where they said that the Turbocharge appeared to be the culprit. They had conducted the most recent oil change and noted no sludge in the oil. When they tore into the Turbocharger, they noted then that there was evidence of sludge and were denying warranty unless I could provide receipts of oil changes since my 25000 mile service. I was able to locate all but one, and I only have 46800 miles on my car. They again denied warranty coverage. I ended up paying them $2600 to replace the Turbocharger and change the oil again.

Upon leaving the dealership, the car felt sluggish, but I attributed that to the new part wearing in. I drove 16 miles to my home and then 24 miles to the airport at which point the rumbling began again. By the time I got home, it was no longer a rumble, but a very loud knocking noise and the car could not get above 40 mph. I should also mention that between the time that I originally took my car to the dealer and picked it up again, I received a letter from Kia Corporate Headquarters in Irving, TX stating that they are aware of a critical engine failure problem and are "extending the warranty to 120,000 miles". That would be great, if they would actually honor the warranty.

Turns out, it was that engine problem. They again said that the warranty was denied because of sludge in the engine. As it also turns out, this engine problem causes metal shavings to mix with the oil in the engine leading to sludge. It also causes larger than normal gaps in the oil path of the engine which leads to the oil overheating and sputtering in large quantities, which also leads to sludge. Therefore, Kia is denying coverage on an engine because of sludge when in fact it is their faulty engine that is causing the sludge in the first place.

I have filed a BBB claim against the dealership for misdiagnosing my car problems and costing me $2600. I suggest all 2011-2016 Kia Optima and Kia Sorento owners google Kia Optima Engine Class Action. Hopefully, if we can band together as a community, we can get them to start fixing a problem that is in fact a known faulty part and should be part of a recall. By the way, this shady dealership in Albuquerque is quoting me almost $8900 (seems like the most expensive fix that I have found on here yet).

I've read review after review of people having blown motors in 2011 Kia Optima and no one getting any help from corporate Kia. Has anyone gotten them to replace the engine? I received the letter stating if your engine made a knocking noise to take it to your nearest Kia dealership and have it diagnosed, which I did. I was told it did fall underneath the "recall" but I would need to provide service records, which I did. I've talked to three different people telling me the repair had been approved but the service manager and the man in the escalating department at Kia said it hadn't been approved.

How can I be told by three different people it's approved and then be told it's not? Now I've been told I will get a call by Wednesday after they review more documents. What documents? Has anyone gotten anywhere since they sent out those letters? If they deny it on Wednesday I'm contacting either an attorney or the media as I don't know what else to do. We've been paying $475 a month for a year now and have not been able to drive the car and we still owe around $7000. This is ridiculous that they are giving us the runaround when they are the ones that sent the letter stating they would fix it!

I have a 2011 Kia Optima. My husband and I, two children and dog we're on our way home from California visiting family for Father's Day. After passing a car in the passing lane we heard a knocking noise. We pulled over to the side of the road and had to get towed home. Needless to say, when we got home the car was dead. The next morning we took the car to our local Kia dealership where they required us to show proof of all oil changes. However, my husband who is a mechanic has now been told because we purchased our parts at Napa that they were not tested by KIA nor was he a Kia mechanic and they will not allow us to use the warranty due to the fact there is sludge and we did not follow their rules.

They have diagnosed the engine is seized and we have a rod knock. We have had the engine started and the estimate cost to replace the engine which Kia is telling us is required is $8,300. We've contacted Kia corporate and they will not help they said it is out of their hands their tech department denied the claim. I've done a lot of research and noticed this problem is going on with many Kias. They are not honoring their warranty nor do they have any customer service skills nor do they stand behind their product. I have less than 51000 miles and also received the letter extending the warranty do to their malfunctioning engine.

I had purchased a new 2014 Kia Forte. I kept up with maintenance. Well engine always been sluggish. Dealer said it wasn't broken in. Well I travel a lot. I got to 110,000 miles and the engine just fell apart and blew. No warnings, nothing. Dealer said it's over the warranty and can't do anything. Needless to say I tried Kia. I was almost going to buy another one as a second car but sadly to say after reviewing this car and same problem with others I'm done with Kia. You lost my business and I'm letting everyone I know about the junk you sell.

In 2014 I bought a beautiful 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid K9 from a reputable local used car dealer for my 20 yr old daughter. The car had about 36,000 miles on it. We financed it through my credit union. My in-laws have leased Kias for years and they loved them, and we loved the looks and the performance. Well, here we are today, less than 2 years after the purchase with 86,000, and it is DEAD! My daughter was driving it on the freeway at midnight in Portland where she now lives and all the lights on the panel lit up, and then nothing! It was 4th of July weekend so we had it towed to her house and then the local dealership on July 5th.

The dealership has had the car for 3 days and they can't figure it out. I've had a car salesman blowing up my cell phone with texts trying to urge me to buy a new car because he states it appears the hybrid system is shot and the repair is going to be $6200-10,000 but we owe $12K on it still, which is odd that he can give me an estimate if they don't know what is wrong with it. Unfortunately since we bought it from a used car dealership there is no warranty and apparently nothing we can do as of yet. He offered to buy it for $4K if we purchase a new car with them but I don't want another Kia if they don't stand behind their product.

Still waiting for a solution. A rental car would be nice, or an actual answer. Heck, even a written estimate for repair would be nice and not a text from a desperate salesman pulling number from "you know where" so I have more data to make a decision on but we can't even get that. Until then, my daughter is taking a bus 2 hours to work each way. Needless to say I am very disappointed with Kia!

First off I bought a 2015 Kia Forte brand new with 13 miles on it and the dealership didn't disclose it had been wrecked and I ask for pictures if it had been as well. They said there is none. After a while my trunk started leaking water and messing a lot of the electrical stuff up. I take it in 3 times to dealership to fix and finally they do a horrible job of putting silicone around every lining on the trunk and did not touch the electrical or anything else. Did I mention I have two kids and my car still smells of the mold and still having electrical issues that are only getting worse and Consumer Affairs tell me that it is not their problem! Do not buy a Kia!!! I do have pics of all the mold and everything that I can add!

I own a 2013 Kia Sportage and it has been giving me headaches. I was just bathing in sweat a few minutes ago because the aircon is blowing out hot air. I am from the Philippines and the temperature outdoor is 37-38 degrees celsius. As early as a little over a year old, my car had several parts replaced like the power window switch, the aircon ECV, the right horn button works intermittently (but was not replaced by the dealer). My door handle was also replaced because the whole thing came off. Outrageous isn't it???

Two months ago they just change my entire engine because they cannot solve the problem of the engine losing power (shakes at the speed of 40kph). The dealer was diagnosing my car for over 10 months before they gave up and suggested to change the whole engine. Just imagine how many days my car was spending in the repair shop considering it is less than 2 years old. I never had this kind of problem with my Honda (used it for 12 years without these problems) and Toyota cars. I am the only person who drives my car. But not anymore, the mechanics at the dealership are driving it a lot of times since 2015.

I have written to Kia several times and they just seem to throw my email to the local dealership here to fix the problem. My dad bought me a Kia Pride before to practice on, and I know it is of low quality at that time. I thought they improved a lot since it was named car of the year in other countries. I might have been misled by their expensive advertisements. I am so frustrated with Kia now.

In December 2014, I was seriously injured (including a broken back...) in a 2015 KIA SORENTO during a frontal crash because the car malfunctioned. Upon impact, none of the airbags deployed and duly filed my complaint with NHTSA. After my complaint, there were 3 others filed with the most recent being March 2016 where another person got injured because the airbag DID NOT DEPLOY.

Even though the IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) identified this problem as well as potential injuries to the driver during its "SMALL OVERLAY CRASH TEST" - THE MANUFACTURER ("KIA") still FAILED to conduct necessary defect investigation and recall on all existing 2014/2015 KIA Sorento models that have this defect which creates and heightens the risk of potential dangerous injuries because few consumers are aware of this as NHTSA gives the 2015 KIA SORENTO a five-star rating on a test that was conducted in 2013 because both the 2014 and 2015 models were in fact, almost identical WITH minimal changes.

Due to the IIHS crash test results and "POOR" rating the 2014/2015 KIA SORENTO models the manufacturer received, it went to address these problems by redesigning the 2016 Sorento without notifying or identifying or repairing the defects in those defective vehicles currently out in the market. IT IS ALSO EXTREMELY NEGLIGENT AND IRRESPONSIBLE OF NHTSA TO POST AN ERRONEOUS 5-STAR RATING ON A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS VEHICLE.

I have 2014 Kia Optima 2.0L Turbo. Took it in for a misfire. They replaced the plug and coil pack. Drove the car home and the next day white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. I took the intake hose off and it was full of oil. I started looking online and found that a lot of people are having problems with this motor. I had installed a oil catch can cause everything I have read in the Kia forms it was recommend. I took the car back to the dealer and was told because I added the catch can my warranty was voided. I took the car home and less than a week later the rod bearing failed and the engine was knocking. I took the car back and was told to call consumer affairs. Of course they denied the replacement engine saying that the catch can caused the engine to fail. I have seen numerous complaints about the engines failing.

I have been driving a Kia for 19 years and currently own 3 and never had a problem. The funny thing is they just sent me a notice that they are extending the warranty on this motor for 10 years and 120,000 miles due to engine failure. But what good is that if they won't honor it. DO NOT BUY FROM KIA!!! WHEN I GET A CHANCE I WILL TRADE IN MY OTHER VEHICLES.

I currently have a 2014 Kia Optima. Let me start by saying I absolutely love the appearance of the vehicle. As far as the driving it has its goods and bads. To sum this up my main issue is the engine has gone out at the car only has 75000 miles. It's only 3 yrs old. I've kept up the maintenance on my vehicle since day one! I'm sure the Kia place needs to step in as I see lots of reviews dealing with this!!! Help us. We are loyal customers!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kia was founded in Seoul in 1944 as a manufacturer of bicycle parts. From there, they began manufacturing entire bicycles and then motorcycles, trucks and cars. The brand is now a global car manufacturer and had record-breaking sales of over 625,000 vehicles in the United States in 2015 alone.

• American manufacturing: In 2009, Kia opened a manufacturing plant in West Point, Ga., which created approximately 15,000 jobs in the manufacturing and supply chain sectors. In early 2016, the factory produced its two-millionth vehicle.
  • Shopping tools: On the Kia website interested customers can customize and price different models, compare vehicles, request a quote from a local dealer and even live chat with an expert. They can also apply for financing from Kia, estimate monthly payments and determine the trade-in value of their current car.
  • Online owner support: The owners’ section of the Kia website provides a wide variety of information to Kia owners. They can find warrant information and instructional videos as well as the contact information for customer service, location information for Kia maintenance and service centers and any recall details.
  • Warranties: New Kias come with several warranties, including a 10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile limited basic warranty and a 5-year/100,000-mile limited anti-perforation warranty. New automobiles also come with free roadside assistance for the first five years or 60,000 miles.
  • Teen driving school: Kia has partnered with B.R.A.K.E.S. (Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe), a non-profit organization dedicated to training and educating young drivers, to offer the Teen Pro-Active Driving School. Kids and their parents can attend a hands-on training course for free at locations throughout the United States.
  • Best for Kia’s affordable fleet of cars includes models that will suit every lifestyle.

Kia Profile