2.10/5
Based on 122 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired? Get a Quote.

1506 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

My elderly mother has been pressured into buying an extended warranty that she did not need. She already has a 10 year warranty. They sent her card after card, and they called her so many times until she buckled under pressure after being told she had to have it! I am furious. I would say that they have dishonest sales tactics.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After years of spending thousands of dollars on my vehicle, I spent another 1200, and the vehicle would only run for 5 days. I tried to get them to fix it and they wanted thousands more! I offered to have them exchange it for a new one and they scheduled an appointment which I was ignored for 3 hours. They just want money so I called the corporate office and a man at escalations screamed at me hurting my ears. Issue not resolved and my car is sitting at my apartments. Extremely poor customer service!!! I went to Honda! Anyone want my poor Kia?

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The 2008 Kia Optima is a great car for a family on a budget. It was a great buy even when it was a previous rental and 10 years it still runs great. I was told to stay away from Kia but it’s been a valuable car for us. I hope to buy a Sorento in the future.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The Kia Sorento is only as good as what the company backs it up to be. It's a little above garbage and that's only because they don't back up their vehicles if there known defect.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I bought my Kia Sorento new in 2011 and I love this car. Could not ask for a better car for the money. It gets 28 MPG, and never any issues. It's very comfortable and a joy to drive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: May 29, 2018

KIA Sedona has been a great all around vehicle, for hauling seven people, trunk camping, to serving as a temporary "truck" for hauling building supplies to stuff for the dump.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Kia Stinger GT-2 is competing well with sport type BMW and Audi vehicles for about 2/3 of the price. It is high performance throughout- high horsepower dual turbos, higher torque, five driving modes that alter engine and suspension parameters, 8-speed transmission, AWD with a 60/40 split favoring the rear wheels, deluxe Merlot leather interior, all available safety features, and a Harman Kardon 650 watt 15 speaker stereo to boot.

However, road tests reveal 0-60 mph in 4 seconds or less and its speed limited to 188 mph contrary to the manufacturer's numbers. Also, it's three grand to replace the monitor, etc. and labor rates at dealerships are usually $120/hour or higher. Nevertheless, I love driving it and am learning the features rather quickly as they are quite intuitive and the manuals quite helpful. I opted for the extended bumper to bumper 10 year/100,000 mile warranty because of the heavy reliance on complex computer and electronic technology.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I love the Kia Sedona. It's a very good quality and never have any issues. I would recommend anyone to get one. I used to have a Toyota Sienna and this is definitely better than that.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento back in November of 2017. After seeing the vehicle had been well maintained on the Carfax and it had low mileage of around 75,000 I felt confident the vehicle would be a reliable long term purchase for me and my family. Now just months later in May 2018 the vehicle spontaneously shut down while driving last week. Fortunately for me I on road with parking lot I could safely roll into and stop. This may not be the case if this happens to another vehicle who may be on a high traffic interstate, high speed roadways, etc. After having it towed to the local Kia dealership I am being told it needs an entire new engine. After a little research, I noticed a Kia Sorento engine failure recall for 2012-2014 due to poor engine manufacturing assembly from leaving debris in engine. After contacting Kia consumer affairs I was told my VIN was not included in this recall. However, they settled on covering half of the $4,000+ repair.

If they know they are at fault, why not pay repair in entirety? They claim it is not covered under a warranty and I am ‘fortunate’ they covered as much as they did. I just wanted to educate anyone looking to purchase a new or used vehicle. Steer clear of Kia or Hyundai products unless you can justify buying a new engine before 90,000 miles. I am now going on my THIRD week of having to pay for a rental vehicle because Sorento is still is not repaired. Between the weekly vehicle rental fees, time and hassle, towing fees and the unpronounced $2,000+ for an engine repair I am beyond frustrated at the lack of customer safety concern and service. Please share this to friends and family. Even if this helps just one person not have to go through this situation in the future it was worth my time writing and sharing it.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Kia Optima's EX edition looks just like the BMW. All the sleek at half the price. A very good looking car. Pay for the leather and sunroof upgrade. Very dependable.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have a 2012 Kia Sportage that has 101,000 miles on it and the motor went out today. Driving home on the interstate and all of sudden I hear a loud ticking noise and my "malfunction indicator" light comes in. I had to have the car towed and my mechanic says the motor is gone at 101,000... just 1000 miles out of warranty. This car has been extremely well taken care of with no problems ever. Of course, kia just wants me to buy a new car.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Excellent deal for the price, but the KIA Forte lacks POWER. If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the Optima or another Camry the car I had before. I get a little nervous when the engine seems to stall out. The truth is that's just the way the car is made based on its engine size. Sometimes GAS MILEAGE doesn't mean everything.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It was a great car until the engine went bad. Kia helped us out by paying for the parts, we had to pay the labor. The dealer was of absolutely no help on this at all.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Kia has a great warranty. I am 6 ft 4 in tall and can wear a hat while driving it. It is not great on comfort, but for the price is one great value; I think it is the best car for those who need dependable transportation for a value. Retired folks, because it is easy to get into and back out of. Most cars you either slide down into them or climb up to get in.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2017 Kia Soul+ in Jul 2017, and to date (May 2018) have only put 5500 mi on the vehicle. It has been used mostly for in town driving and is garaged. I have hundreds of small rust spots on the exterior finish, which is accentuated by the finish paint being white (see attached photo). Kia reps tell me it is micro metal filaments from my brakes embedding in the clear coat, and this is something not unusual.

Well, I’d challenge this position as I’ve owned previous white cars among the dozen+ vehicles I’ve owned over the years, looked at dozens of comparable new cars on the road, and spoken with several others including auto/body specialists and the response has been 100% that this is not an expected new car reaction unless there was some manufacturing defect- either in the paint or clearcoat prep or application. If anyone else is experiencing this condition with their new Kia, please comment to let me know.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am currently in my third lease with Kia and up until now would have remained a loyal customer. I lease a 2016 Kia Soul. It broke down on the highway with 35,000 miles. I get it taken to Kia of Bedford. That whole experience was awful (Kia Roadside Assistance stinks) I am told that I some type of rodent had been eating wires in my car causing extensive damage and it was not a warranty or Kia issue that I would pay out of pocket. Meanwhile I google this and find Kia uses soy based wire covering which attracts rodents. Kia still will not accept responsibility. I file a car insurance claim. Kia has my car for a MONTH! They never had parts in stock, and kept finding new things wrong with my car. I had to call for updates. I found the people working in the service department to be rude, and very cold hearted to the need of the customer.

I filed two separate claims with Kia Consumer Affairs because I thought at the least I deserved to be reimbursed my car payment for the month I paid and did not drive my vehicle. They do not respond to phone calls or emails. Basically blow you off. My case was escalated to a Steven ** who called me once to say he needed paperwork that I had already emailed him and hasn't responded to a phone call or email since. I sent letters to the executive team and no response. Kia is a joke. They don't care about the customer. They don't care about keeping customers. And they sell piece of ** cars that you get stuck with and they don't feel bad or care about that either. If you want a good, reliable car, good customer service from a business that cares DO NOT GO TO KIA! Kia just wants your money-but they will not provide any kind of good service to earn it. Run, run, run to any other dealership but a Kia dealership.

Original review: May 23, 2018

The Kia Sedona is roomy, very comfortable ride, quiet, good gas mileage, excellent dash layout, and lots of cargo room. Wide sliding doors for backseat passengers. CON: Radio turns on by its self!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Kia Sportage is an amazing car with an outstanding warranty which covers around 95% of any eventuality. The car is sturdy, robust, has good all round visibility and 4 wheel drive and excellent in the snow. It's an ideal family car that's economical for its size and tows caravan easily. Servicing is not overly expensive and spare parts are very easy to get.

Original review: May 22, 2018

The Kia Rio is like a go kart and it bumps every bump. The tires were small and I feel if I was in an accident I would not be safe. The seat absorbed stains I could not get out and the radio broke early on about 30,000 miles. The spark plugs needed to be fixed and even though it had a 100,000 mile guarantee, no one honored it and they were all KIA dealers. I would bring it in when it had problems and they would fix it but they said I had to apply for a reimbursement or they didn't cover it.

The dealers were absolute impolite morons. I brought the car twice to them and they danced around the issue and I felt humiliated for taking it back to no avail. Apparently the guarantee cost a lot too. It's 12,000 when the car had 35,000 miles. I was treated so unfair and I wish I could get the 2000 I paid for the guarantee back. What a rip off and for this reason I will not rebuy a KIA. But I gave it a high rating because after my son fixed the cracked spark plug encasement and replaced the plugs it always started up. It even went across country.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This is my second KIA Sportage. I lost my first 2012 model to Hurricane Harvey. Which was a shame because it was good as new and in good shape with low mileage. The drive is comfortable. It offers Sirius radio and the mileage is better than expected. I now have a 2018 model and am enjoying it very much.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage and it is all wheel drive which really limits the gas mileage. I get 20 - 22mpg but other than that, I've been very happy with it.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Kia Optima 2011 drives very well with more than sufficient power. Styling remains fresh and in some ways superior to later models. More horsepower, dual exhaust, and electronic front seat.

Original review: May 19, 2018

This car gave​ me a very good service. Never had a problem with the motor or transmission. Also, it's very economic on gas and responded very well at the road.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I bought a Kia with 0 miles driving off the lot. I unfortunately have been required to get two new axles, but the issue persist (maybe another broken axle now; becoming three), several new tires, which according to Kia, weren't covered under the warranty, or were not the direct result of my axle(s) being broken two (probably three) different times. For life of me I cannot understand this but okay. This is all in addition to my breaks being shot at 37000 miles. So now aside from a large monthly payment I've had to spend $3,000 on a car that is supposedly covered by a full warranty. This goes without saying my backup camera has broken two different times as well as the really cool feature of my mirrors going in while the car is locked has also broken three different times.

After being tired of getting my car misdiagnosed at a Kia dealership I brought to a third party place. The third party told me for a car that has 37,000 miles on it I should not be having these issues. I talk to Kia and some of the representative seem to care while other Representatives not so much. If I could give some advice it is to never buy a Kia or anything that has to do with Kia. As a Kia customer I cannot tell you how dissatisfied I am and I will never buy a Kia again. Indeed, the one thing I do when I meet new people is to tell them to never buy a Kia because Kia is the worst company ever. Don't buy a Kia.

Original review: May 17, 2018

The paint is so cheap! It started peeling 2 years after it came out & months after I bought it! Also, I had to replace tires right away. I heard these are issues with a Kia. I won’t purchase another one.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My Kia Sorento is as nice as a Lexus. It drives and handles very well. It has a very nice interior and the heated and cooled seats are great. The panoramic roof is nice!

Original review: May 15, 2018

I bought a slightly used 2011 Kia in 2011. It was in amazing condition and I spent the next 7 years taking immaculate care of it -- never missing an oil change and keeping up with the regular maintenance. Last week, while driving, out of nowhere my car seizes and then starts making a very loud rapping noise. Engine is kaput. I had it towed to my mechanic (my cousin so he doesn't give me any bull -- he even does a diagnostic in front of me and shows me exactly what is wrong with the car and why). He says one of the pistons broke, causing tons of metal flecks in the oil (which I had recently changed). The piston had also hit one of my spark plugs, chipping off a tiny piece of it. He said the issue is the exact same as all of the thousands of Kias being recalled, and that this is a bad engine and it's the manufacturer at fault for it, not me. Especially since I had taken such good care of it -- no sludge in the oil, no nothing.

Call Kia customer care & open a case -- they say I have to have a Kia dealership diagnose it for them to help me. So I tow it to a dealership and they charge me $120+ just for the diagnostic. I try to give them the diagnostic from my mechanic and tell them about the broken engine and the spark plug and the piston, and they won't listen to me. I go home and wait thru the weekend. They call me Monday morning to say my car doesn't have a broken engine, but that the tiny piece of spark plug is causing the issue and they need another $350 to try to remove it and it may cost up to $1100.

I tell them to wait and call my cousin to ask if that sounds right. He said, "no, that's outrageous," and he calls them and makes them put the mechanic on the phone. Mechanic is a complete ** -- didn't even run a diagnostic, just looked at the spark and figured that was the problem. Cousin asked if he ran a compression test-- of course he didn't! Then the mechanic tried to say it would take 3 hours for a diagnostic then, and cousin said, "how long does a compression test take?" Guy says, "I don't know, I'd have to look it up" to which my cousin replied, "It's certainly less than 2 hours. You can send me an itemized list of what you're doing."

I ended up making my cousin the one the dealership had to go thru. And, GEE WIZ! Turns out when they actually DID THE COMPRESSION TEST, the problem with the car is exactly what my cousin said was wrong! And do you think Kia stands by its 100,000 mile/10 Year Warranty??! Of course not! Because I'm the 2nd owner. And does it say on the ads or the website that it doesn't apply to 2nd owners? Not unless you find your manual and look it up -- Intentionally deceptive and misleading. And REGARDLESS, this is THEIR FAULTY ENGINE.

Customer care won't do a fricking thing and expects me to pay thousands of dollars for a new engine, even though they KNOW it's their responsibility and they've already had to recall all their other engines (but for some reason not the Rio...) My cousin even called Customer Care and said my engine is affected by the recall, they're just trying to save face. I have years and years worth of oil change and maintenance receipts as proof that the fault is theirs, and they won't do a freaking thing to correct their mistakes.

I have never been so disgusted. The incompetence of the dealership, the arrogance of Customer Care, the mistreatment of their customers, the lemons they won't take responsibility for... I WILL NEVER BUY A KIA AGAIN. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the inevitable headache and HUGE repair bills-- STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM KIA CARS AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

I now have to junk my car after I had JUST replaced the breaks and done a bunch of other maintenance to it. I hope the company goes bankrupt and burns to the ground. They are the most corrupt lousy liars I have ever come across. Just do a quick freaking search online and you will find hundreds and hundreds of stories just like mine. It is unbelievable that an 8 yr old car with 98,000 miles on it would die with no warning and Kia just shrugs its shoulders. This is unacceptable. If anyone files a class action lawsuit please let me know -- they need to be taken down.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought a used 2009 Kia Optima in April of 2014 and in that time have spend over $5,000. I have filed a complaint with the Kia Consumer Assistance Center, but since I did not have any repairs done at a Kia dealer, they won't do anything. I have to take it to a Kia dealer for them to assess it (so spend more $$ and have to get a rental). In going through the receipts, I had the rear brake calipers replaced twice in 3 years (I understand that that shouldn't have to be done). Most recently, it's been an check engine light issue and sensor issues. In order to pass inspection, I spent over $1200, most diagnosing the check engine light--which still hasn't been resolved. They thought it was the timing change, then the valve covers. Somehow they got it so I could pass inspection.

At one point they said I might have to replace the ECM. Then, during test driving (and the same problem occurred briefly a few months prior), the gas pedal stopped working on a highway. And then it happened to me after spending $1200. So the check engine light code (after it had been setting off numerous codes), it was the gas pedal, so my mechanic replaced the gas pedal, which didn't work. The light continued to go on and the gas pedal wouldn't work for a short amount of time and it would kick back into gear soon after. So I took it to a different mechanic and they ended up thinking it was a gear shifting issue and re-set the transmission. And they called the local Kia dealer to ask questions. So that lasted about a week and a half. I can drive the car under 50 and be OK. It's happened twice to me while going over 50 and the second time I had to keep pulling over.

The lemon law indicates to be a lemon it has to be unsafe to drive, which it is, and that the problem has to interfere with the normal function of the car. So I opened a case at Kia. The first person, Octavia, claimed she tried to call me but there is no indication on my cell phone. So the second person has since denied me saying I have to go the dealer to get assessed, even though I provided receipts with all the work done--in order to assess the problem--well, what about the calipers??? The second person had said she would call me Monday afternoon. I had to leave 2 messages yesterday and had to call again today. One person said it's gone to the supervisors and then I heard that I had to take it to a Kia dealer. So I have to pay for the Kia dealer on top of a rental car??? They are useless.

Most of the problems are documented online in a lot of various forms. I will continue to contact them and tag them until they resolve this. I am lucky that I will be purchasing a HONDA for a very good price and then I will call the Kia dealer--which I avoided in the first place knowing that dealerships aren't always helpful and fair. Again, I have spent over $5,000 in 4 years on this car. Oh, the person I spoke with even said under her breath--that is a lot of money!!! It has just gone over 100,000 in the past couple of months.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My lease expired a few weeks ago. I owed money for the mileage. I tried to pay it online and it told me it would not allow me to pay my mileage through my online account. Which seems very odd to me but I called the number was on hold a longtime continually listening to the same message telling me to go online which was very annoying. I get a lady on the phone who's reading me verbatim all these things acting like I'm a year overdue when in fact I'm not late at all on this payment. She's telling me she's trying to collect a debt. I'm trying to nicely to interrupt her and tell her I know that's why I'm calling to pay my bill.

She proceeded to tell me how rude I was being and that I'm not letting her finish. There was nothing to finish, I was not past due so she needed to stop treating me like I have poor credit. I tried to pay the mileage with my credit card which they said they cannot accept a credit card payment. Which to me money is money it should not matter. They are not willing to work with you. They are not willing to be friendly. I have never been a day late on a 3.5 year lease. I would stay away from Kia Finance at all costs. If I would have known what I know now I would have gone through my own bank. Do not buy a Kia.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I went to make a phone call thru my Bluetooth and my radio shut off and won't come back on. I checked the fuse and it was fine. When I went to the Kia Store on Preston Highway in Louisville KY they acted like they didn't even care. I got this car (2017 Kia Soul) brand new with 5 miles on it. If anyone else has had this problem please tell me how to fix it.

Kia Company Information