2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.91/5

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Kia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Kia produces an modern attractive array of vehicles at a lower price point than its' competitors. My Cadenza is loaded with safety features and the latest technology available. It was priced below similarly featured imports in its' class. Reliability is weakness for Kia. My 2 year old Cadenza has been serviced 3 times for major repairs. The warranty is excellent and covered all my cost for service, but could not compensate me for my inconvenience. Resale value is another factor that hurts Kia. Similar Toyota's, Honda's, and Subaru's are superior in holding their value. Kia's just don't seem to age well. Based on features and overall cost, I would recommend leasing a Kia for 3 years. I would not recommend buying The Kia Cadenza.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have always driven large and expensive SUV's; such as Denali's and the Escalade; but, now that I'm older I wanted something smaller and less expensive, but reliable and with a good warranty. Someone said that I should look at the Kia Sorrento or the Terrain. I almost laughed, until I drove one. The power, features, and comfort they manage to pack into these vehicles is nothing short of amazing; especially at such a low price! It has most of the features that really matter to me, such as lane departure, back up camera, blue-tooth with Apple play. I honestly don't know how they make money!

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

In all of my 54 years and multitude of vehicles I've ever owned or leased, this one, by far, has been my favorite. It's also the first one I have not itched to replace after 2 or so years. It is the most comfortable and easiest to maintain and handle. The body and interior are well crafted and even after almost 6 years of use are still in almost pristine condition. The paint still looks brand new and the leather interiors seams and carpeting are still in great condition. I am not the most vigilant with washing and vacuuming either, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it. I would and do, wholeheartedly recommend the Kia Sorento SX to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Kia overall is a great affordable choice. We have owned 2 Kia Souls and 1 Sorrento. The Sorrento is roomy and versatile. We have 2 kids and it's been a wonderful family car. The fold down third row is great for when we need the extra room for groceries. We have taken the car on many road trips and find it very comfortable to travel in, even with small children. We feel safe in it and enjoy having it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

One of the best cars I've ever bought. It drives so good and very comfortable seating. It has the best warranty on the market (10 years) and for half the price of other vehicles that are similar in style and performance I am very pleased with my Kia Sorrento. It is a great SUV for our family. Go test drive one and see why there are so many Kia Sorrento's on the road today. I paid $23,000 out the door for a brand new 2018 SUV. I did a lot of homework and bought at a good time saving over $10,000 on my vehicle. I would definitely recommend buying a Kia. I'm happy with mine and will be buying another one soon in the future.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

On eight separate occasions, I was charged $139.49 for a total of $1,115.92 AFTER my loan for a KIA Soul had been completely paid off. I have never experienced overcharges to this degree — house, other cars, etc. I contacted KIA Finance on four occasions over three months to no avail. I was promised everything from the “check’s in the mail” to “no record that no check was ever issued” to “a refund in 30 days or sooner” to a “customer complaint has been opened.” Neither CSRs or supervisors were able to make anything positive happen. My bank said it couldn’t get involved so late after the fact. Disappointed and will probably never buy a KIA again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Purchased a 2016 Kia Sorrento with only 49,880 miles. Carfax said it had 30 days and over 10,000 miles of powertrain warranty. Needs a engine and Kia is stating that their internal date was different and I was 2 weeks out of time but the Kia was at the dealership for a week and so I called to ask for some help. They said that they have a goodwill program since it just ran out but only in their internal system which I have ask for that info and had no response, and as you see by the 1 star they do not want to help in my case....

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was the owner of a 2018 Kia Sorento. Upon getting close to the end of my lease, I went to the dealership Smithtown Kia on Long Island, NY. Between mileage and remaining payments, part of the deal/contract for exchanging the 2018 Sorento for a new 2020 Kia Optima is that the remaining balance on the Sorento would be paid off by the dealership. The check for the remaining balance (in excess of $2,600.00) was sent by the dealership upon closure of the deal in February 2020. In August of the same year I received a notification from Transunion (one of the major credit bureaus) that a reported missed payment in the amount of the payoff had been reported by Kia Motors Finance. What Kia neglected to do was send the letters claiming I owed them this money to the address listed when I got the 2020 Optima (my current address), not the address I lived in upon the lease of the 2018 Sorento.

I was left in the dark about it due to their negligence to send letters to the right address informing me of their negligence to handle a contracted pay off properly. I checked my credit score which at the time of the deal back in February was well over 800. What happened to my credit score was more than just a drop in the bucket. The drop my credit had experienced put me in a terrible position with my mortgage lender during a refinance that was taking place at the same time frame I found out about this remaining balance on a vehicle I no longer owned nor was legally financially responsible for due to the terms of the balance being the responsibility of the dealership to pay off. I called the dealership right away and they claimed they had sent the check. They sent me a tracking number where the check was sent via Fedex. I looked into the tracking number and the check was signed for by Kia Finance that it had been received.

I called Kia Finance. After waiting unbelievable amounts of time to speak with someone, they requested that I send them a picture of the front and back of the check that the dealership had sent them for the pay off. So they wanted a picture of a check they already physically received, yes you read that right. I called the dealership and got the run around for 4 days before they found it and sent it to me via email. Mind you, every day that goes by I am building a terrible mountain of late days on my credit regarding this pay off. Once I received the picture of the front and back of the check I called Kia Finance again where they gave me an email to forward the picture of the check. I sent the email twice in the same day. I called the next day and they put me on hold for 45 minutes only to tell me that I had to wait an additional 2 days before they could find and review the email with the picture attached.

I waited 2 days and called back. When I got someone on the phone they put me on hold for 2 straight hours before I lost my patience and gave up. I called the next day and they had me on the phone for an hour before they found the email. Once they found the email the lady on the phone said she was sending it over to payment processing which would take another 3 days. Yes, another 3 days. I waited the 3 days and called back. I got a lady on the phone whom I explained the whole situation to. She puts me on hold to "review the situation" and once again never gets back to me. I waited on hold for almost a half hour before I gave up again. I have the background music for being on hold with Kia etched into the bad memory bank of my brain. I called back right away where the next lady proceeded to tell me that she needed to review the situation and asked if I would hold for "2 to 3 minutes".

I lost it at this point and started pointlessly yelling at them because I'm a human being that's been completely pushed to the limit. Finally after over 2 weeks of this horrible experience I get a payment processing person on the phone that seemed interested in helping. But in the end, I've been instructed I need to wait another 3 days before they'll know anything else. I'm literally fighting against the credit bureaus clock because of this company due to absolutely no fault of my own.

As I wrote this review I have literally been on hold upon the resolution of the last call I explained for over 26 minutes. I have no hope or feeling of resolution to this awful situation these people have put me in. Gross customer negligence and incompetence that has cost me my financial health. Something needs to be done whether I'm the only person this has happened to or whether it's happened to multiple people. Its unethical, it's immoral, it's life altering. I don't know what else to do. I will never get a Kia ever again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

We purchased a new 2012 Kia Sorento. The first dealer never rotated the tires, and refused to help with a defective Spring. I had the pictures of a snapped spring on the front right. Had to replace all the struts and tires. Switched dealers. At 60,000 miles, the car started to have major electrical problems. Second dealer was worse than the first, changed battery and radio unit. Kept coming up with thousands in expenses. Finally, I told them to replace the starter and the car worked again. I cannot wait to get rid of the car ASAP. Never again will I purchase a Kia since the warranty is worthless.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I loved my Kia 2013 Kia Sportage. I was a Honda and Toyota owner for years and on an impulsive buy I decide to go against my own advice and bought my 2013 Kia Sportage brand spanking new. I really didn't have a complaint about Kia until I was riding down the highway one evening and the car just lost power. After towing it away the mechanic told me that the engine was seized and it was a $7000 repair. He advised me to call Kia because this appears to be a Known issue.

After doing my own research, I discovered that there have been a number of recalls on these cars (55,000 in the united states) and a some across Canada. Well long story short....my engine number is not in the recall list along with 100's of others who have lodged investigations with Transport Canada. They have a list of these cars from 2011-2013 that were sold with a defect. Buyers Beware. Kia knows about the issue but refuses to fix it. After the agent wished me all the best.... I can never buy or endorse Kia again.

Kia Company Information