1.60/5
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kia

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

1462 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My 2011 Kia Sorento has been a disaster since day 1. I have replaced every door on my Kia Sorento, and now my engine has failed. I have full service history but Kia are saying that it was due to lack of care because there was only 1 1/2 of oil in it when they took it apart. Now I am no mechanic but I’m pretty sure a lack of oil is more likely to be an engine problem rather than a lack of care issue especially when the oil was checked by a car garage 8 weeks earlier before its MOT. Kia’s cars and warranty are a scam. Do not buy Kia. Google Kia Engine problems and you will see why.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I purchased a 2013 Kia Optima in October 2017 with 38000 miles. As the weather got colder I tried to warm the car and locked the door as it warmed but to my surprise the door did not lock while the car is running. I looked online how to lock the door while it was running and found out you have to use the key manually to lock the door. Upon reopening the door, I used the key fob to unlock the door and it did not work. I used the button on the door and that did not work come to my surprise I had to use the key. I called Kia Consumers 800-333-4542 on 2/14/18 for help with the issue because to me it’s a safety issue not being able to get in your car in an emergency and they made me an appt with Premier Kia of Branford of Ct 2/15/18. At my appt I was told "these cars only lock by Remote Start and that the car does not recognize the key". So in other words the key is not programmed with the key fob and door latch.

I called KC back and the rep reached out to PKB and was told "in order for me to use my key, key fob and door latch at the same time once again I must buy a REMOTE STARTER" and the rep said "I was confusing the brain of the car." meaning the operating system or computer when I try to use the key, key fob and the door latch at the same time. I said no "whoever made this car should have linked the key, key fob and door latch together" instead of trying to make people spend more money on something they can’t get the full value back once the car is sold. This is a serious issue which needs a major recall. Nobody have time to fumble with a key if they are in trouble. Safety is not an importance to Kia.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I went to South Shore Kia on 2/3/18 after waiting over a week for an appointment. My driver’s side indicator stays lit even when the car is turned off. I got there and I had to sign for a 169.99 diagnostic fee. I asked about my warranty and the service employee said they have to look it up. At this time no one told me the warranty expired less than 1 month ago. I get a call 3 hrs later stating they have to charge me another diagnostic fee which would be 169.99 because they were not certain of what was wrong. Four hours later when I did not get a call I called in to ask what had happened and they stated they would get back to me. Another hour goes by and I receive a call that they fixed the harness in my Sorento but it didn't fix the issue, then proceeded to explain what I needed.

I immediately called my husband who went down to the dealership. Like magic when he asked to see the part they fixed and why they were charging 2 diagnostic fees and 169.99 an hour YES an hour, the bill amazingly shrunk from almost 1400.00 to 185.00. If I would have went down there they would have taken 1400 dollars from me because I didn't know about cars. My Sorento is still not fixed as I now have to pay out of pocket for everything as my warranty is up. And as per Jacob at Kia Consumer Affairs I was told when I bought the vehicle when the warranty would end and they do not have to send me any notification. They do not have to respond to my complaint but it will be addressed, somehow. So I have to fix my car which I had for less than 2 years with NO WARRANTY.

Also Kia Sorentos do not have fuses so something as simple as a headlight or indicator that needs to be fixed cost over 800 dollars as I need a body control module (computer) to work headlights. I may not fix cars but how is this affordable for anyone? I believe this is the only car made this way. Are we still in the 50's and 60's. When will companies be penalized for this type of behavior? I am appalled and saddened that I have to include a man in my affairs because I am not equal. And for headquarters each Kia is a independent franchise so they are not responsible for the dealerships behavior.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

After my 2016 Sorento stopped shifting out of park. It was towed 3 hrs to the closest dealership. I was told there was a rental vehicle reserved and covered in a neighboring town. After leaving work and getting a ride to pick it up I was called the next morning being told there was a mistake and the car had to be returned that afternoon or else I would be charged. I once again left work early to race up and get it returned before closing. The next day I was told that there were gas charges to paid on my end. To which I explained that I would have never picked up the car that was in my position for less then 24hr and was only driven from budget to my house and back if I wasn’t told to!

After calling Kia Canada to see what could be done I finally received a call back 3 days later with a “sorry but there nothing we can do”. A week goes by and my car is now worse then it was with a secondary part now backorder. They say I can get another rental. But they will only pay for a tiny hatchback this time. This was after hours on hold, speaking to different agents who kept passing me back to Elliot the first agent I dealt with, who kept not returning my phone calls again!!! He then told me my remote living and size of family does not matter to him, Kia offers to help but do not have to do anything for me. I was laughed at when I said I was upset and asked to have my call return ASAP. Worse customer service ever!!! Although I have enjoyed my car up until this point it is not worth the dealing with such a horrible company. I am getting rid of my car immediately and I would never recommend to anyone to buy a Kia.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Sharing my story. I was involved in an accident with my 2012 Kia Optima as the engine seized at 65 mph on a highway. No time to pull over or get into a safe place, my car was smashed into 30 seconds after I was able to get out leaving my car totaled. KIA refuses to do anything however they have been well aware of this issue for families driving these cars who are unaware they are driving a death trap. I am not sure how this has not had any news coverage, there are several websites covering this as well as pending class action lawsuits, I have given KIA several chances to rectify this matter and Jeff ** and Alex ** in the Irvine corporate office have been no help. All they do is lie and find any reason not to hold accountability.

If anyone here is interested in joining the pending class action lawsuit please email me. I understand the damage in the pictures doesn't look severe however that was luck, what if this had been a semi truck that smashed into me? I am lucky I am alive. KIA would not even care if I died. They are the worst crooks and joke of an automaker.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

With the advent of keyless entry, there are bound to be lost key FOBS. They are ridiculous in price. Then you have to go to a dealer to have it programmed. They get you coming and going. Same with the built-in GPS. The new maps are expensive. I did not care for the car app that is for your phone either. No issues with the mechanical aspects of the Sorento even though if there was, KIA tech info was bought out by Snap on and you cannot access free repair info any longer.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I leased my 2014 Sportage and within a year my car needed a new engine with less than 20,000 miles on it. Then my gas tank meter went and then my Catalytic Converter went-remember this is a brand new vehicle with little to no miles on it. Of course everything was covered under warranty except each time they would find something that wasn't covered to get you to pay for something... Also, they took 2 payments out of my account and refused to refund me for one of them! Customer service is awful, they barely speak English and do not work with you. All they do is lie and when confronted they claim there is nothing they can do. Total BS! I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE ANOTHER KIA-even with my lease up in May 2018 and I MOST DEFINITELY WOULD NEVER REFER SOMEONE TO KIA FOR ANYTHING!!! This company should be ashamed of their product and employees!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

During a service oil change at 30,000 miles, I was presented with an affidavit from KIA stating that I must pay $275.95 every 15,000 miles in order to keep my KIA warranty in effect and this had to be signed. This charge is to check the valves for carbon build up. If I don’t do this the warranty will be nullified. This new requirement is 2 years after the purchase of my KIA Sorento. This is a new action after the fact and KIA is charging the customer to keep it in effect. This was not a condition of our original warranty. Since this was the first time it was implemented, my dealer, Martin Swanty in Kingman, AZ discounted this charge to $179.00 plus tax.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I went into Kia for a recall on the engine Sept 2017. On Jan 2018 the engine dies out on me. I get the worse customer service in the world. I never get calls back. I made a complaint to an employee and he tells me it will be approved for a new engine and he will call me back by the end of the day to let me know when the loaner car is ready for me. 4 days later I get a call saying they have a rental car ready for me to pick up when I'm ready. I go in to find out I have to pay $200 deposit out of my pockets. I don't understand how my car engine blows out because of the recall and now I have to pay $200 for a rental car? Kia should provide me with a loaner car or pay that themselves.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

The Kia Rondo is a great car for a reasonable price. It's reliable, many features and unique styling compared to most other cars out there and for a lot less money. I hope the Koreans keep in the market because they have a good product.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My Kia Sedona 2012 broke 8 days ago, took it to the Kia service and contacted Kia customer service for them to pay for the repair. This is the 3rd time in a row that the same part (throttle body assembly) becomes faulty, under the same circumstances, rainy days. My case was painfully slow escalated to Farah ** who failed to keep me informed about when was going to get repaired. Kia service sucks! I will never buy Kia cars again and suggest you the same.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am very frustrate due to purchase my Kia Optima in Nov 2015, since that time had to replace engine in the car twice. Several different recalls on the car. Waiting on an approval to get my engine replace stuck without transportation. Was inform can not provided me with a loaner car until the approval from corporate has been made. Kia of Union City had my car since Friday. Had no car over the weekend. Went to Kia first thing Monday morning. Still waiting. Had to call out of work due to no transportation. Call corporate to find out my information was never submit to get an approval. Now 2:46 pm still haven't received an update. I am a single mother of 5. Unable to afford a rental car on my own at this time. What am I to do, I will never purchase another Kia again. I will go on every website to voice my frustration, already contact my local news station for some assistance with this issue.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had to take my KIA Sportage 2017 for oil change after hitting 5,000 miles as is always recommended. On the said day of service, the service tech recommended tire rotation as my car was hitting 20,000 miles which seemed reasonable to me. After the service was rendered and my car was pulled out to the sally port, I drove home but as I was sitting in my car, I decided to check my tire pressure just to make they had right psi. Apparently, I was amazed because my tire pressure were the same before the service and after the service which made me conclude that even the tire rotation was not done.

The worst case scenario was when I was driving from work from night shift and the temp had plummeted so bad, the roads were icy and the caution and tire pressure light came up and all my tires were blinking yellow because the tire pressure had fallen to a dangerously 25 psi. It was a miracle I made it home safe because the road conditions were terrible with zero traction. This left me wondering, how could it be possible that a new 2017 KIA Sportage could malfunction that bad within 3 days of service and yet I was charged $ 86.09 for both oil change and tire rotation. I regret everything abt KIA. As am writing, I have to get my car towed to the dealership.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

2016 Kia Sportage is a piece of junk, too light for the medium snow we had... Mrcleveland Ward got stuck in small areas several times!!! I will l never lease a piece of crap like this again!!! Seems like I got stuck in light mush snow. No traction at all... Kia call me, when the ** salesman leased this to me it was in April 2016. Wet day...

Resolution response: Jan. 4, 2018

I recently posted a negative review about Kia service regarding sloppy work during an oil change. The manager did reach out to me to correct the situation though. Like I said in my original post I normally have excellent service with them. This was a one-time mishap that they did correct. I would continue to recommend Kia to people.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

The service department employees are very friendly and normally have done a good job over the years. I've been taking my Kia Rio there since 2008. On my last oil change I left feeling like I didn't get what I paid for. They left the disposable seat and floor covers there for me to dispose of. Normally they throw them out. Also they didn't change out the sticker that shows when the next oil change is due. It makes me wonder if they even changed my oil??? Also they are supposed to check tire pressure. I even doublechecked and they said yes they did. My tires were clearly low. So what did I pay them for? Was anything even done to my car or did I waste an hour and the drive out there?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Nov. to next Jan. is a good time for car buying, since automakers will put more incentive/rebates on new cars. But not every brand is honest with customers. In particular, as a recent buyer with PAINFUL experience, I recommend: stay away from KIA, if you look for non-cheating rebates. This is based on my painful car buying experience from KIA (it is not dealer's issue, but just KIA's issue). To summarize the experience, I felt I was unfairly treated, discriminated or even insulted by KIA, who in the end took away rebate written in the car contract that I signed 3 weeks' ago. Basically, the car I have already put >500 miles, But then KIA told me that I am 'suddenly' not qualified for their rebate and I should come back to pay more). My detailed story was below. (I will post this to major auto websites to help buyers avoid painful experience of mine. Any question, please email me at **).

I signed the contract and obtained a new KIA Niro 2017 on 11/24/2017 (Black Friday), attracted by low price with KIA 'rebate'. I am a recent grad, with diploma dated on 09/2016, during that time I was with my F1 student visa (this matters). After graduation, I obtained EAD (employment authorization card granted by US government) and worked in the same university I studied. Basically, I have a work permit to be employed and my contract is annually signed due to nature of research task. ( this matters for KIA). My credit score ~790, with annual salary > 70K. With those info. I was qualified for KIA rebate (1000 dollar) and final price of the car is around 24K, checked by KIA and KIA dealer before we signed contract. I put 10K as down payment, leaving 14K as 4-years' auto loan with KIA per rebate's policy.

I thought everything should work as the signed contract. However, from Dec. 4 the dealer contacted me for my visa and EAD, per KIA's requirement. I feel strange but I try to work with them so I send out my F1 visa and current EAD (C09 category) that my employer has on file. I even emailed my position/annual pay from HR, and leave contact of my employer HR so that they can verify files. Now KIA finance begins to send ridiculous statements like: Contract Returned (Unable to accept Employment Auth Card, Must have Visa) 1. Visa submitted expired 10.03.2014 - Not valid... acceptable visas H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, TN, O1, E1, E2, E3 2. We will need employer letter stating they will request reinstatement due to applicant's Visa expired 10/3/2014.

There are two hidden rules or tricks from KIA that they can not give me rebate: KIA does not accept my Employment Auth Card (EAD). They keep looking at my expired F1-visa but ignore my current EAD. They want me to have a visa in THEIR list, which is only a small portion of valid EAD from the US governments. (https://save.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/EAD_Code_Table.pdf). I wonder, if US government grants me EAD for work and I indeed got employed with a good salary (70K annually for 14K loan in 4 years), then Kia's policy is a 'discrimination'. Moreover, Kia is also ignorant, as visa does not mean you could work legally (like F-1 ), instead EAD is standard work permit. I and my employer felt very sad when KIA keep asking us 'valid visa' and ignore my EAD.

KIA could not finance with me under 4 years, as my current employer only sign a one-year contact. I need to have a employment with a '4-year contract' from CURRENT employer AND 4-year valid visa (they do not say EAD). This is truly ridiculous. If 4-year finance requires: 4-year employment contract with the same current company, who can be qualified, given the uncertainty of many jobs? Dealer and I tried to 'satisfy' this unfair KIA's requirement. After talking with KIA (from dealer), one way for me is to bug my HR +boss to write a letter stating that: they have a good intention to hire me for 4 years.

I did that and my HR finally agreed to work on this. However, I was later told that even with the letter I still can not have the rebate, because my EAD (KIA always asked visa) was unaccepted, and I need to reinstate a 4-year valid visa in KIA's list by me or my employer. I felt truly insulted as KIA implied that they did not consider my employment as normal or even legal. My HR felt very unhappy, and asked me to leave KIA, 'why not choose other brand, like HONDA?'. Unfortunately, I did not have choice since I drove the car for 3 weeks, returning the car will be very unfair/impossible to dealer. In the meantime, I tried to get KIA finance contact and talked to them directly. From the dealer, I got number and called KIA finance: 1866-337-5632. After reporting my case number: **, I was told that KIA finance would not talk with me directly, and they asked me to contact dealer. They just ignore my request.

In the end, I and dealer have to take care about the extra money due to the loss of KIA rebate. I, dealer, even my employer, all harmed and felt this is unfair from KIA. I feel I am discriminated or insulted from the whole process. KIA's hidden rules on the rebate was a cheating and dishonest trick on customer or even KIA dealership. If one seeks honest rebate/incentive, stay away from KIA, and look at other brands (there are so many).

If you insist on KIA, think about their two 'after-contract hidden rules/traps' (that is after your employment/salary + credit score satisfies and contracted was signed) that I encountered: 4-year finance? OK, then do you have proof of 4-years of employment from your current job? Working on visa/EAD? OK, do you have current 4-year valid visa (not EAD) that must be in KIA's list? Other conditions (waiting to see other customers posting...)? Feel free to forward my experience to other potential autobuyers so that they do not have to experience I experienced.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I own a 2015 Kia Forte which I purchased new and now has about 49000 miles on the odometer. It came with a 60000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty and a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, one of the main selling points for me. Just over a month ago the instant gas mileage display on the dash went dark. I have been to the dealer three times for repair, each time failed. They changed out the entire instrument cluster which did not help. Now the dealer is saying Kia engineers are working on a fix but the dealer has not been able to provide even a vague estimate on when or how my car can be fixed. I have contacted Kia Consumer Assistance several times for help and got none. They seem to think that the problem is so minor that I should not bother them. I am not pleased and worry that the 60000 mile warranty will expire with my car still broken. I hear rumors (on the net) that I am not alone with this problem.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

My 2017 Kia Sportage also caught on fire after I drove twenty miles after an oil change at the dealership. Kia or Kia dealership will take no responsibility for this! Apparently the wonderful warranty they give you does not cover a car with 14000 miles on it, 2017, I guess you take your chances of it not catching on fire because they give you nothing!!!! Also never had a problem with it and only had it serviced at the Kia dealership!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Car engine blew-up @ 50,811 miles on 12/08/2017, just had oil changed on 11/14/2017, car had 49,555 running perfectly fine. On 12/08/2017 husband arrives at work @ 7 am and all his co-workers were looking at him strangely as the car started to sound like a helicopter above. He backed into the parking space then shut down engine POW all the engine oil pours out, as co-workers supplied him to put cardboard under the engine, I called KIA roadside service for tow. They came and towed to KIA dealership and they are not taking responsibility. I'm still under warranty. They are playing a blame game where I changed my oil saying it's a faulty oil filter.

Why is it I drove my vehicle just fine for 1,200 miles (3 weeks) and not a single drop of oil in my driveway, not a drop. Then a little drive up the road approx. 5 miles as every weekday to my husband's employment at 7 am it just blows up, he takes side streets not even the highway. Then the Dealer states there was no oil and no oil on dipstick, and engine light on. Duh... because it's on the concrete at my husband's parking spot. Here's a pic at his work. If it were a faulty oil filter/gasket my engine would have blown way before. A lot of engine specialist say it sounds like the Pistons blew through the motor.

KIA are crooks and need to be held accountable. I maintain my car, I'm a disabled 57 year old with disabilities, this is my only way to get to and from my doctor's and it's making me have setbacks, I was in the ER on 12/13/2017 due to stress and anxiety and excruciating pain, an episode of my fibromyalgia. While in ER they also had findings that I'm gonna need spinal surgery. My C-2 is fractured, I need my car or at least a rental, my finances are exhausted, I need surgery, follow ups, rehabilitation and have no car yet. I'm still paying my car payments, providing insurance for my car that's $400 per month, plus I had to rent a car to get to and from neurosurgeon/husband's work/MRI'S, that costed me $30 per day, I have to return it after my neurosurgeon appointment on 12/22/2017.

It's disgusting that this Company KIA is so corrupt and is getting away with their defective Automobiles, when I started researching there are 1,000's of Kia's blowing engines of cars with such a few miles, these are NEW cars we the people are paying good money for, why is it NO ONE WILL HELP US KIA CUSTOMERS AND MAKE THINGS RIGHT. THIS IS DANGERING MY LIFE... IM GETTING SICKER... MAKE ME WHOLE. See because the service writer gets commission if it's not Kia's fault, and zero commission if it is their fault. Makes sense?

Meanwhile my health is declining for a selfish greedy company, you're telling me they have millions of cars sitting, some they sink and they cannot make things right and replace these vehicles. Yet we allow these cars to come to the United States to squeeze us dry selling defective Automobiles, so unfair. Since this all happened I want to know something, I often drive with my little grandbabies in my car, what if we were on the freeway??? And the engine died??? Would we all be alive??? PLEASE MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE! INVESTIGATE... INVESTIGATE. MAKE THIS RIGHT. Thank you and God Bless though driving KIAS... BEWARE.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

This is my second Kia Soul! I love the car's performance and the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty (The best in the business)! That being said, several weeks ago, while driving northbound on the Interstate 5 freeway in densely automobile populated rush hour traffic, I got a flat tire. No big deal. That happens! What doesn't happen is calling Triple A and NOT FINDING A SPARE TIRE in the trunk upon the serviceman's arrival!

The serviceman was very accommodating. He explained that several years ago, spare tires were omitted as standard equipment (especially in small cars) to improve gas mileage (less weight equals increases fuel efficiency). My last Kia Soul was year 2011 so I didn't know there was no spare in the new models.

Oh, by the way, I bought my Kia Soul from Alhambra Kia, Kia of Alhambra! NEVER BUY A CAR FROM THAT DEALERSHIP! Their customer service is absolutely horrible! In my hour of need, I called the dealership to ask why I had not been informed that there was no spare tire in my trunk and I was transferred to an answering machine! I left a message, but NO ONE EVER CALLED BACK!

Anyway, I then called the national Kia Roadside Assistance Center where I spoke to an excellent receptionist whose goal was to serve my needs! She referred me to Downtown LA Kia. THIS IS ANOTHER KIA DEALERSHIP YOU SHOULD NEVER EXPECT PROPER SERVICE FROM! The national receptionist said changing the new tire I had bought elsewhere would be free! According to Downtown LA Kia, the service charge was $25. No big deal! EXCEPT FOR THE PRINCIPAL INVOLVED!

I had already experienced a potentially traumatic event due to the company's negligence and now, I was just looking for someone, anyone from Kia to offer some form, any form of customer satisfaction! NO ONE SATISFIED MY NEEDS! The next day, I visited KIA OF ALHAMBRA and the manager apologized but HE DIDN'T MAKE ME HAPPY! As result, I will never buy another Kia automobile! And I will never ever, never ever never buy a car from Kia of Alhambra!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Kia took an extra payment after a payoff was done. I called to have them refund the extra balance. First agent told me that it would be sent to the correct address. It did not. Forward a month later, called again to ask where it was. They sent to wrong address. Had the agent request a stop payment and send to correct address. Told me she did. Forward a month. Asked where the check was and the agent told me they never processed. Had the call escalated to two Incompetent Managers one which was named Julie. Julie started the conversation trying to act tough to get me off the phone. Told me to wait another half a month to get my money back. Funny thing is if I didn't make payments on the car guess who would be calling me for money. I'm doing the exact same thing to get my money back. Julie then proceeded to get snarky and ended the conversation by hanging up on me. What a tool.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

On 7 separate occasions in less than a month my car will not start. Not a battery problem. The case was escalated and the guy in charge said he doesn't listen to his voicemail (reason for not calling me back) and he will be out of the office the rest of the week. I have intermittent starting problems, sudden poor gas mileage and loss of power. Gas to the floor just to go 65. He said I should have it serviced. I explained the dealership just serviced it the first time it went in for the starting problem. He told me Kia doesn't warranty the gas mileage or power of the vehicle.

He completely ignored me explaining that this is part of the problem to help them diagnose what to fix. The dealership says they can't test for the problem or fix anything until Kia authorizes them to do so. Plenty of mechanics can tell me from the symptoms it is most likely the ignition coil. I told this guy at Kia this and he said there is no test for that and without a test to confirm the issue they will not fix anything. I explained there is a test. He then changed his story to they will not test for that until there is proof that that is the problem. The test is the proof! This guy is a real jerk. I was stranded nearly 6 hours from home while my car would not start over the weekend and all they were willing to do is tow it away and leave me stranded with three dogs far from home! The dealership is no better to deal with because Kia won't authorize them to do anything to fix or diagnose the problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

The car is a 2016 Kia Sportage- It started with all the warning lights coming on while sitting in a driveway after starting, which was in April 2017. I turned the car off and then back on and the lights went back to normal. The next time the car acted the same way I was driving on the interstate at 70 mph and had all the warning lights and the speedometer went down to zero for about 30 seconds and then went back to normal, this was sometime around June 2017. Both of these times I did not think to call the dealership because it was not something that was consistently happening and I was not able to get pictures or videos of it. The next time that something happened was on Oct 2nd while I was driving (I have video proof of this time). I called and made an appointment on the next day, as the service department was closed at the time the car had the issue.

At this time the dealership said there was a switch that they were going to replace and that this was what could be causing the issue. I received the car back on Oct 9th. On Oct 10th while driving back on the interstate the car's lights and radio dimmed and the speedometer and rpm instruments were fluctuating for about 30-45 seconds. I immediately called the dealership where they made the appointment to check the car for the next day. I took the car in and they said that the tech had not cleared the codes from when they replaced the switch from the previous week. So after replacing the tires during this time I received the car back on Oct 12th.

On Oct 17th after starting the car and sitting in the car for about 1 minute, the car started to lock and unlock the doors (the car will usually lock the doors after it is put into drive only unless you press the lock/unlock button). When I heard the locks engaging, I looked at the instrument panel and noticed that my tpms light was flashing, about 10 seconds later all the lights went off and the speedometer and rpm instruments started to fluctuate (I also have video proof of this as well since the dealership said I had to get a video again of what it was doing before they could do anything). I immediately called the dealership and had the car towed to them that day. On Oct 26th the dealership called to say that they could not get the car to duplicate the issue and that I would need to contact Kia corporate to try and get a resolution.

A week later our case was moved to an escalation case manager (who I can never seem to get a hold of). It took about 2 weeks for the case manager to finally call at a time I could talk with her in person, not just have messages on voicemail. They keep the car and test drove it for what I would say was about 2.5 to 3 weeks, when I received a phone call stating that the car had actually finally had the issue while the service guy was driving it, however when it was put on the computer no codes showed up, as it had on the previous times that they had put the car on the computer to look for codes on the issue. During this time I had a loaner from the dealership, which I called on Nov 27th to say that loaner was close to needing an oil change.

On Nov 29th I received a call from the dealership stating that the Kia tech line had looked at the issue and found that items that were under the passenger seat were what was causing the issue and that the service tech had taken the items out from under the seat (which not everything was out from under the seat when I took possession of the car today and I might add against my opinion on taking the car back) and that Kia tech line stated that there was no safety issue with the car should the issue reoccur because for the week that they had test drove it after cleaning from under the seat the issue had not occurred again. The dealership stated that I would need to take the car back and drive it until the field tech could schedule an appointment for sometime in January 2018.

If the issue occurred again I was informed to call the dealership immediately and they would document it and report it to the field tech when he was at the dealership in January. Now I'm am trying to research what my options are, although MO seems to have one of the worst lemon laws for car owners. This will be the last Kia that we buy (and we have had two previous models- a Sedona and Optima)!!! We thought buying it brand new that we would not have any issues but this has been nothing but a headache. Hopefully our car will not seize up while we have to drive it!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a 1-year used 2011 Kia Sportage specifically because it had the 7 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty. The sales person at Stamford Kia knew I was impressed by the warranty but neglected to mention that the great warranty was NOT transferable. The dealership also refused to certify the car saying it cost too much. Their car never drove well and it was noisy. But I was operating under the assumption I was covered if anything major happened. Well, after 6 years and 87,000 miles the engine blew due to a piston. The car is not under warranty and the recalls for the 2011 Sportage do not include my vehicle. I've been the proud owner of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Lexus. Many of the cars lasting 13+ years and 160,000+ miles. NEVER have I had an engine die after 6 years! I would not recommend a Kia after my sudden loss of a car.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do enjoy navigating bad telephone menus and listening to worse music for hours on end, while praying that a minimum-wage customer service rep will pick up? Then you will love Kia Motors Finance. Impossible to deal or even communicate with. I will pay off my vehicle, even though financially disadvantageous, to avoid dealing with these incompetents ever again. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

April 2012 I bought my son Kia Optima hybrid based on advertisement 100k or 10 years warranty. TV’s and sales dealer to move cars they says bumper to bumper but after you’re in the car started having problem with the car. The dealer has to wait for the factory to authorize the repairs. Then the stereo head unit stopped working. The dealer surprised me the head unit is not covered under warranty. It’s only covered 3 years. Took it in again for sway bar problem and it was not covered. The only covered under 100k engine and trainy. What a rip off! Don’t buy Kia unless it’s in writing for the dealer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We got a Kia Optima in 2015 (lease for $650 a month). Ridiculous right? Me and my husband have good credit and good income. We decided to get the turbo one. This car has been giving us problems like you cannot imagine. Problems with the starter, with the engine and every time we take it they charge us for the same thing when they never fixed it the first time. I’m sick and tired of their service where they don’t help us. Never have I had this problem before. I went there once (to Kia in Cerritos) to see if I would take out another car and omg the guy that was helping us was so rude, totally unprofessional. He even tapped my head and I told him not to touch me. We will never buy a Kia again. As we speak we are taking it again for the same problem.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I love the Kia Spectra because of how it saves gas, it's a very comfortable car. It's compact, enough room inside to fit five people with plenty of leg space.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

This is my 2nd Kia. The first went 10 years without a single repair (I did the routine maintenance). I decided to downsize and purchased the Sportage. It is a pleasure to drive, rates excellent in crash tests & is fuel efficient. These are well built & fairly priced vehicles.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was driving on a parkway when the check engine, check oil and battery light came on and the engine completely seized. Thankfully I was able to pull over and not get into a possibly fatal accident with my wife in the car. I opened a case with Kia customer service. I have gotten nothing but the run around, explained that I am fully aware of the massive recall on thousands of thousands of Kias. This is exactly the issue that this recall is for and numerous reviews that Kia refuses to repair it and that they give the run around. I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint and if need be fully plan to contact a lawyer. Repairs for a seized engine range from 3500-7000 for a new engine and I see countless reviews with the same issue with their cars and dealing with customer service.

Kia Company Information

www.kia.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use