2.30/5
Based on 113 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read Kia Soul reviews to learn about other models.

1522 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Don't buy a KIA!! They have the WORST customer service and when you have a problem and want to speak to a supervisor or manager they will not transfer the call. I will never buy another KIA and I would not recommend KIA to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

2013 KIA RIO5 SX, 77,000 miles. August 6, 2018. Driver side passenger door, electric window would not go down. Took to KIA dealer & found out the sound barrier material that was glued to inside of door was falling apart & jamming window. Dealer checked all 4 doors & found the driver's door sound barrier material was also falling apart. Dealer said no replacement is available. Dealer removed sound barrier material in driver's door and driver side passenger door. Mileage is over the 60,000 mile warranty so I was charged $186.03. I called KIA 800-333-4542 & opened case 12821760. KIA said car was out of warranty & there is nothing they can do. This car is well maintained & never in an accident. This "sound barrier" material should not have failed in under 5 years.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kia does not care about safety!!! Car disabled 3 times!!! Hybrid system to second owner is under warranty until 60k. My first issue was cared for at 45k. The second on the same malfunction happened at 75k and returned the car back to me. Now the third time 85k and they won’t fix the issue but it’s the same one that never got fixed? How is this good customer care? You never fixed the issue. It is part of the hybrid system!

Additionally it takes 10 plus days to get ahold of anyone! The first time I was on the freeway the car disabled leaving me stranded. Second time it disabled causing a car accident. The third time a month after the accident leaving me stuck again and now reporting a lemon. They won’t accept that the car is unsafe. Causing me to have to get a lawyer? Why can’t Kia just settle and give me a safe car/fix this one! I love this car but hate that I feel unsafe and am so sad I can’t ever bring myself to buy a new one because Kia Motors does not take safety serious!!! The car disabled 3 times! Does it really take someone dying or being seriously injured to actually care for this company? Can’t believe national and the executive team doesn’t want to improve the image of safety.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a 2018 KIA Soul in May of 2018. There was no visible signs of rust on the car at the time. After about a month of driving it I took it to the car wash. At close inspection after the wash I noticed rust on the lower part the back passenger doors (both sides of the car...same place). I contacted the KIA dealer, they took pictures and sent them with the info to a corp. office somewhere. Their response was that the rust was caused by an outside source and they would not cover it. So I contacted KIA in Cal. Got the same answer. That's Bull. This is a new 2018 car...it should not have any rust on it, plus they should have took measures to prevent such an occurrence. I would not have bought the car if the rust was visible when I looked at it. I'm still waiting on Higher Up to make their decision at the KIA Corp. in Cal.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I recently upgraded my 15-year-old vehicle for a 2014 Kia Optima at a local AutoMax. The purchase was stress-free thankfully. If I had done my homework and read these reviews beforehand I would have NEVER purchased the vehicle. I am beyond worried now that I may have purchased a vehicle that will give me nothing but undeserved grief and MAJOR stress. I most definitely did not hear the grinding of the brakes when I did the test drive two weeks ago before making the purchase. There is indeed a safety issue with the locks/fob not being linked. The front passenger seat is so low that I can see that as a safety issue as well with regards to the seat belt and airbag... I did not detect that either prior to purchase. I am definitely afraid after reading these reviews to have the vehicle out at night out of fear of engine failure (that is most definitely a stressor).

If only I had taken the time to read the reviews prior to making the purchase... If only, sigh. I was so anxious for an upgrade/reliable transportation to and from doctors’ appointments and family visits I failed to do my homework. With my kind of luck I am expecting to pay the price for failing to do so, and at my age it will be more than I can handle at this point and time in my life, my plate is already full due to a serious medical issue... I most definitely do not need car issues when I thought I was eliminating that stressor with an upgrade... life!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I absolutely loved this vehicle (2017 Kia Niro) when I first got it. Now everything is falling apart. The rear driver side door sensor would not go off so they had to replace it. Plus two recalls. Now EVERY door handle pops off when you try and open the doors. And lastly, on the rear hatch there is some kind of oil leaking from the hatch. The car is 3 days over 1 year old and it is piece of junk.

Original review: July 6, 2018

America is screwing the consumer again- The 2015 Kia Optima is not only a rolling tin can, you cannot drive with the back windows down at all. Crack the back windows and the inside pressure immediately starts effecting your ears. With the rear windows completely down, the pressure feels like you are in an airplane without oxygen, the noise is so loud you cannot hear the passenger next to you, it sounds like a helicopter. The aerodynamics of this car were obviously NOT tested. The driver seat has 2 adjustments when you pump up the squirrels is raises the seat 2 inches, the passenger seat has NONE. The placement of the mirrors create an enormous blind spot, in direct view of curb and turning site.

Informed from a previous employee of Kia, that the Optima has a defective motor which will have to be replaced, by the dealer. Corporations in America screw Americans continuously and we have no recourse. This is what this country has come too, the Great American Way! Consumers would be better off with horse and buggy.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Kia has fluffed up their look but their quality is still crap. I've had my car in for service 8 times in 16 months. I bought my Kia Niro brand new and started having problems within less than 5 months of ownership. I'm suing Kia to buy it back as a lemon. They don't communicate at all. They are not helpful and try to draw out the process as long as possible. I've lost countless hours... even months at a time bringing this car into being repaired. 5 of the issues are repeat of the same thing. There was another reoccurring defect that took a couple repair attempts to get corrected. Parts on back order take a month to get.

Techs at the dealership have talked to Kia techs at corporate and no one knows how to fix the car. The 5 reoccurring repair issue is still an ongoing issue because Kia doesn't know what's wrong. My transmission has already started to fault. My car almost stalled once after 5 months of ownership and the most recent issue is that it won't accelerate or shift into the next gear. Huge safety issues! I'll probably get into an accident but Kia is in no hurry to address any of that.

Original review: July 1, 2018

This company is complete and utter trash. I am the second owner of a Kia Optima hybrid 2011 and after 65k miles the engine stopped working. I’ve had the car for a year and had 2 oil changes. Kia told me there was no oil in it when I had receipt less than 2 months and showed them. Regardless they didn’t like my attitude because he chose not to help me at service dealership and told me 7k plus to fix. 65k miles and I took care of it with all proper service records because of 5 thousand miles out of warranty!!! They're not humans. They're demons in polo shirts. Go to hell Korea!

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have a 2018 Kia, Sorento. I have been trying to get blind spot mirrors since the the day I purchase it in Nov. 2017. After being told by the dealer's salesman, then parts department (Napelton Kia in Elgin, IL.,) I contacted KIA online. I had a chat with 'Alexis' (Friday 6/29/18 at 5:14 CDT). When asked why I couldn't look up parts for my 2018 KIA Sorento, she replied that the parts department had not update (sp) them yet. I should contact their "parts specialist" sometime MON-FRI from 6:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M. PST.

When I said that not having someone to answer parts questions all the time was archaic, the conversational attitude changed. I told her that I had purchased 2 new KIA's this year for cash, her reply was "We do not accept cash, sir. You must be confusing us with the dealer". Of course I was talking about the dealer! I can't buy from the manufacturer! That doesn't change the fact that I spent over $40,000 with this company. All I got was the corporate run-around from them. Very disappointed and wish I had bought the Subaru's I had been looking at.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Small compact, good on gas, runs and drives great. Would purchase again and would recommend to anyone else to buy. Great sales man. Explained the whole car and left no stone unturned. It's a third row seating but still small, gets great gas mileage and runs smoothly. All around great car. Good business. However, I wish it was cheaper on price, have an extended warranty to longer than twelve months and better service plan.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I like the Kia Sorento because it is very good on gas and is easy to drive. It has a lot of space in to sit four people comfortably. It is a great car to go on vacation in too. I would make it have a large backup camera installed in it. And also the gas tank door would work all the time. Also a have handle on the front near the windshield for older people to be able to use it to get in and out with. The car has a noise in the motor but the dealership says they cannot find anything wrong. My mechanic says there is something wrong with the timing chain. All in all it is a good riding car.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My elderly mother has been pressured into buying an extended warranty that she did not need. She already has a 10 year warranty. They sent her card after card, and they called her so many times until she buckled under pressure after being told she had to have it! I am furious. I would say that they have dishonest sales tactics.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It's reliable and very efficient. Any issues I have had were easily fixed with a forum search & maintenance is not that expensive. It is also very cute. The Kia Rio's gas mileage is amazing (30mpg!). It has a manual transmission, which is not common anymore. It was also very affordable. I can see this car running as strong as older Hondas, eg 300k+ miles. But the backseat do a not fold down, which I didn't realize when I bought it. There is no stereo output jack, no power door locks or windows too.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The Kia Sorento is my SUV and I just love it. It's roomy and drives well. Being older I like the fact that the car is high not one of those low cars. And being so high I have a better view of the road. I also like that the back seats can be put down to make more room for storage and there is a rack on top of the car for extra luggage or storage as well. What I don't particularly like about this car is the fact that the tires on this car are quite large and expensive. And if you need repairs it's quite expensive due to the fact all the parts are under a protective cover that requires taking off the cover. So if you need to brake fluid this cover needs to be removed by a mechanic. But other than that, the Sorento handles quite smoothly when driving.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The car has had a lot of issues. I've had to replace a lot of parts on it. The car is cheap. The frame is cheap. The parts are cheap but I don't like a car that breaks all the time. I appreciate it more when my car is more convenient not a car from Korea where the parts have to be specially ordered and waited for. The Kia Spectra 2007 handles well though in spite of its flaws. It is small and practical. I like the 4 doors. I like the fact that the seats are cloth and not leather so I don't get burned every time I sit down after a long hot day of the car just sitting in the sun. But I wish I would have done more research before buying this car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Great car which is very innovative and has great gas mileage. It is very technologically advanced. It is very easy to maintain too. It has a lot of amenities which are standard. I like the GPS, the voice activation, heated seats and steering wheel. It has Sirius XM and also has room for 7 passengers. The Kia Sorento stands out from other SUVs in its class.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After years of spending thousands of dollars on my vehicle, I spent another 1200, and the vehicle would only run for 5 days. I tried to get them to fix it and they wanted thousands more! I offered to have them exchange it for a new one and they scheduled an appointment which I was ignored for 3 hours. They just want money so I called the corporate office and a man at escalations screamed at me hurting my ears. Issue not resolved and my car is sitting at my apartments. Extremely poor customer service!!! I went to Honda! Anyone want my poor Kia?

Original review: May 31, 2018

The 2008 Kia Optima is a great car for a family on a budget. It was a great buy even when it was a previous rental and 10 years it still runs great. I was told to stay away from Kia but it’s been a valuable car for us. I hope to buy a Sorento in the future.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The Kia Sorento is only as good as what the company backs it up to be. It's a little above garbage and that's only because they don't back up their vehicles if there known defect.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I bought my Kia Sorento new in 2011 and I love this car. Could not ask for a better car for the money. It gets 28 MPG, and never any issues. It's very comfortable and a joy to drive.

Original review: May 29, 2018

KIA Sedona has been a great all around vehicle, for hauling seven people, trunk camping, to serving as a temporary "truck" for hauling building supplies to stuff for the dump.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Kia Stinger GT-2 is competing well with sport type BMW and Audi vehicles for about 2/3 of the price. It is high performance throughout- high horsepower dual turbos, higher torque, five driving modes that alter engine and suspension parameters, 8-speed transmission, AWD with a 60/40 split favoring the rear wheels, deluxe Merlot leather interior, all available safety features, and a Harman Kardon 650 watt 15 speaker stereo to boot.

However, road tests reveal 0-60 mph in 4 seconds or less and its speed limited to 188 mph contrary to the manufacturer's numbers. Also, it's three grand to replace the monitor, etc. and labor rates at dealerships are usually $120/hour or higher. Nevertheless, I love driving it and am learning the features rather quickly as they are quite intuitive and the manuals quite helpful. I opted for the extended bumper to bumper 10 year/100,000 mile warranty because of the heavy reliance on complex computer and electronic technology.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I love the Kia Sedona. It's a very good quality and never have any issues. I would recommend anyone to get one. I used to have a Toyota Sienna and this is definitely better than that.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento back in November of 2017. After seeing the vehicle had been well maintained on the Carfax and it had low mileage of around 75,000 I felt confident the vehicle would be a reliable long term purchase for me and my family. Now just months later in May 2018 the vehicle spontaneously shut down while driving last week. Fortunately for me I on road with parking lot I could safely roll into and stop. This may not be the case if this happens to another vehicle who may be on a high traffic interstate, high speed roadways, etc. After having it towed to the local Kia dealership I am being told it needs an entire new engine. After a little research, I noticed a Kia Sorento engine failure recall for 2012-2014 due to poor engine manufacturing assembly from leaving debris in engine. After contacting Kia consumer affairs I was told my VIN was not included in this recall. However, they settled on covering half of the $4,000+ repair.

If they know they are at fault, why not pay repair in entirety? They claim it is not covered under a warranty and I am ‘fortunate’ they covered as much as they did. I just wanted to educate anyone looking to purchase a new or used vehicle. Steer clear of Kia or Hyundai products unless you can justify buying a new engine before 90,000 miles. I am now going on my THIRD week of having to pay for a rental vehicle because Sorento is still is not repaired. Between the weekly vehicle rental fees, time and hassle, towing fees and the unpronounced $2,000+ for an engine repair I am beyond frustrated at the lack of customer safety concern and service. Please share this to friends and family. Even if this helps just one person not have to go through this situation in the future it was worth my time writing and sharing it.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Kia Optima's EX edition looks just like the BMW. All the sleek at half the price. A very good looking car. Pay for the leather and sunroof upgrade. Very dependable.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have a 2012 Kia Sportage that has 101,000 miles on it and the motor went out today. Driving home on the interstate and all of sudden I hear a loud ticking noise and my "malfunction indicator" light comes in. I had to have the car towed and my mechanic says the motor is gone at 101,000... just 1000 miles out of warranty. This car has been extremely well taken care of with no problems ever. Of course, kia just wants me to buy a new car.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Excellent deal for the price, but the KIA Forte lacks POWER. If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the Optima or another Camry the car I had before. I get a little nervous when the engine seems to stall out. The truth is that's just the way the car is made based on its engine size. Sometimes GAS MILEAGE doesn't mean everything.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It was a great car until the engine went bad. Kia helped us out by paying for the parts, we had to pay the labor. The dealer was of absolutely no help on this at all.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Kia has a great warranty. I am 6 ft 4 in tall and can wear a hat while driving it. It is not great on comfort, but for the price is one great value; I think it is the best car for those who need dependable transportation for a value. Retired folks, because it is easy to get into and back out of. Most cars you either slide down into them or climb up to get in.

Not sure about Kia ?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Kia Company Information

www.kia.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business