Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
1.86/5

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

972 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I leased a new Kia at the end of April this year on a referral from my parents who had just purchased a new Kia from what was Metro Kia at the time. I was told that since I was putting more of a down payment than I wanted and paying more per month than I wanted that not only would the lay payments be taken care of on my old car, but that the end of lease fees on my previous car would be taken care of. Skip to beginning of November and Chase is sending me a bill for $5000. I started texting with someone who is at what is now Matthews Kia who said she would have to pass info to the managers. 3 weeks later I find out that none of the payments were taken care of. Not only that but nothing was ever written down about taking care of the other fees but they didn’t see anything about making the last payments.

I had 3 payments left and Matthews only took care of 2 because that’s all Metro had written down which they found on the original paperwork that had been filed away. Matthews legally did what they needed to but they should have honored what I was told. I have a text message from a Kia employee saying that Metro did this to lots of people. I don’t understand how Kia as a company can screw people over so bad. They are a bunch of mismanaged shady idiots who take people’s money and don’t care what happens. Between their shady business dealings and Chase’s idiot people I am now stuck with a $5000 bill and ruined credit because the payments were not taken care of 9 months ago.

When I contacted corporate all they said was since it is a franchise they have absolute no impact on what they do and they don’t care and will do nothing to rectify the situation. What kind of business doesn’t regulate their franchises? I will never buy another Kia and I promise that my family and friends will not either. I will tell everyone who will listen including news/media outlets about your shady dealings. I can’t imagine the recurring revenue they are losing from all these people that got screwed over is worth the little bit of money they would pay out to make things right with their customers. DO NOT TRUST THEM AND DO NOT BUY A KIA.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Kia Sorento from Hudson Kia in Jersey City, NJ, at the end of June 2018. As I write this review, it is December 3rd, 2018. They didn't pay off my trade-in vehicle for 45+ days. The payoff was then shorted, leaving me with a rolling balance due to my former finance company. Although Kia said they would rectify with the finance company, they did NOT and I just found out it went to collections, ruining my rebuilding credit. They were supposed to submit my registration as a transfer tag. Instead, after waiting almost 2 months, I received a brand new license plate. I had already paid the year registration on my old tag. Thus, I'm out $350 for a tag I didn't need and taking a loss on the registration I'd already paid for the former tag. I was told at sale that I could move my payment date to mid-month from end of month after making my 1st payment. When I tried with Kia Finance, I was told this isn't an option on leases.

So the finance rep LIED to complete the sale. Now my payments are perpetually 3 weeks late monthly bc of my payroll cycle. I was supposed to receive free oil changes. Yet I can't seem to get anyone on the phone from their service department. I paid $90 for a synthetic oil change (trying to be responsible), only to be told that since I had it serviced elsewhere, it voids the offer... even though I have yet to be in contact with their service department. I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE MATS FOR MY VEHICLE. They can't even be bothered to rectify something as simple as this and it's almost 6 months later! I could go on, but I'll stop here.

I've called the dealership more times than I can count and spoken to several people who assured me they would "take care of it". Yet not a single item has been rectified. Not one. I also filed a complaint with Kia Customer Service and not one person ever followed up with me. To make matters worse, I practically hate this vehicle. I'm currently searching ways to get out of this god awful lease I'm in at this point. I've purchased several vehicles over my lifetime. This experience has been the absolute worse! I wish I could rank ZERO stars.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

If you get a traffic violation from and camera- beware. KIA will get the notice and will hold it for weeks, then will pay it for you with all the added penalties and then charge. I had several violations because of a bad transponder. If KIA would have just sent me the notice I could have easily taken care of it for $2 or $4. Instead they withheld the notices, paid it after 6 weeks of when it was issued, sent me the bill to pay them and threatened my immaculate credit when I objected. Filed a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which was a waste of time. Will never deal with KIA in any capacity ever again. Even the owner of the dealership said they were jerks to deal with!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

These are supposed to be good reliable vehicles, this is not the case. My 2 year old car with 26k miles died while driving at a high speed on the highway. Towed to dealer and motor is blown. All past maintenance was performed by the dealer. So far, unknown as to when and where they can obtain a replacement motor for a 2 year old car. Dealership doesn't answer the phone, no one has followed up. I had a mid size vehicle with luxury options and I've been given a crappy economy Sportage SUV to drive which stinks like cigarettes and is so uncomfortable that it's aggravating a disability and causing severe pain. I get to work limping in pain and stink like a smoker, thanks Kia.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased the 2018 Kia Sorento EX 3.3L AWD new in January 2018. I currently have 23k miles on the vehicle now. This vehicle has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars. The AWD system works great, handling is great, power is there when you need it and it's comfortable. Every vehicle has its cons, but I find it difficult to find one with the Sorento. I know a few other people who own a Sorento and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

The interior has a great feel and well put together, unlike a lot of new vehicles and their cheap composite plastic. The lines are almost seamless. The warranty (10yr/100k) seems great until you read the fine print. A lot of components are dropped off the warranty at certain mileage intervals along the way to the 100k benchmark. I did pay for the better warranty which covers all components to 100k miles, but even then other companies have warranties only going out to 24k to 36k miles, which is convenient to drop the vehicle's warranty the moment it leaves "new car status."

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that's considering purchasing an mid size SUV. For what you pay it's the best bang for the buck. There is a transmission software update available. I brought the vehicle back in at 5600 miles to have it completed. KIA sent a $50 Visa prepaid debit card in the mail due to the inconvenience. I've never received anything from any other manufacturer for an "inconvenience."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

This is my third lease. I had a Jetta and a Prius. Both companies had excellent customer service. They both put the customer first. Made everything clear. My payment are always on time. Never had a single issue till I decided to lease with Kia. Advice - DO NOT LEASE WITH KIA. First: Pay your lease via the phone. Although they will charge you 7 dollars to make an over the phone payment. Which is ridiculous, this is the only to make sure your payment actually goes through. Their website is horrible, and the turnaround is 7 days. Second: Getting a live customer service person on the phone: It is a challenge to be able to talk to a live person. Once you get a customer service rep they either do not speak English and do not care to help you with any issue you may have. I will never lease again from Kia. I am not a happy customer. Third: Their website is out of date. Do not make any payments on their website.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Kia Motor Finance (KMF) says for its leases, the consumer must contact them to tell them how to allocate a payment. My payment was late, the statement reflected principle, taxes, the late fee and a total. I paid the total as per the statement, but KMF allocated everything to the principle and taxes only. This occurred over a number of months. Now I am told that the late fees were never paid. If the statement says to pay the total amount due, why would I think I need to call within 24 hours of the payment and tell them to allocate to principle, tax and late fees. My calls remain unanswered. I have been bounced around between collections and customer services. In addition, KMF explained that when I paid to get my car back, the repo fee was applied to my principle. KMF reversed it but put my account in to delinquency.

I am being held accountable for their incompetency, lack of transparency, fraudulent and abusive use of statements that are not honored. Why would the consumer know that KMF requires allocation instructions. It is not written on the lease, no addendum received stating this is the policy, and nothing on the statement that says for your late payment to be processed please call us. Why wouldn't a consumer believe the breakdown on the statement is the exact way the payment would be processed. This is mind boggling and I refuse to believe that I am the only person this is happening to. This becomes very scary that a corporation takes your payment, implies via a statement of what the payment is consisted of but applies it in a different manner. The Consumer should be Informed of this practice.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a used 2016 Kia Sorento fully loaded SXL (Highest trim, original MSRP of $43,000) for $27,000 + TAX/FEE with just under 40,000 miles on it in 2017. I had the car shipped to me from Gary Rome KIA in ENFIELD, CT (Never do business with this dealership. They are dishonest). I live in TN and they shipped the car down to me after a brief negotiation of price over the phone. From the moment the car was delivered to me I had several issues that the KIA dealership that sold me the car should have taken care of. 1. The panoramic moonroof was sticking and wouldn't close properly. 2. The car had tires on it OLDER THAN THE SUV ITSELF! 3. The tailgate was sticking and not opening properly.

4. The keyless entry and automatic tailgate opening both did not work properly (Less than 60% success on keyless entry, 90%+ failure on tailgate feature). 5. The car was delivered with only ONE key fob (Promised two, never made good on it. That's $200). 6. The exhaust system on the SUV had a catastrophic failure resulting in complete loss of engine power and leaving me without a car for over a week while car was at local dealer being repaired under warranty. All these issues in a $40k SUV that was under 40k miles and about a year old.

Despite all these issues, the warranty covered fixing the exhaust (Melted catalytic converter), fixing the moonroof (Lubrication added and hardware adjustments), and a temporary fix on the tailgate sticking (Anti-Stick coating applied. Didn't help for long. Problem returned within a month). The dealer never acknowledged the keyless entry had any issue telling me I had to physically remove the key from my pocket for it to work properly. This defeats the entire purpose of KEYLESS entry. This is 100% unacceptable and they know it. Despite all these issues upfront, I enjoyed the value of the features in the car and wanted to keep it. I kept it for about year and traded it in 2018 for a Lexus (I've never had a single poor experience with Lexus. They are worth every extra penny and their keyless entry JUST WORK!).

For those considering buying a KIA here are some PROS and CONS based from my experiences with the product and company. PROS. 1. They honored warranty work. Never cost me anything other than inconvenience and time. 2. Cars come with high end features for less cost. 3. Buying a used KIA is very attractive from a price/value perspective. 4. Quality of KIA has improved dramatically over the years.

CONS. 1. Car had tons of issues, some of which like the keyless entry that KIA refused to acknowledge were issues. 2. KIA vehicles DEPRECIATE LIKE A LEAD BALLOON. NEVER buy a brand new KIA. You'll get taken to the cleaners on your trade or when you decide to sell. Even if you buy used, the trade/value of their vehicles are TERRIBLE! Having owned the 2016 KIA Sorento for about a year and getting the mileage up to 60k miles, I was offered anywhere from 20-22k in trade AT A KIA DEALERSHIP! A Ford dealer offered me $23.8k. I paid $27k. Car dropped between 3.2-7k in value in 20k miles/1 year. Seriously?

Even the KIA dealerships don't want their product back. Very disappointed in value retention of product. Some dealerships didn't even want to offer anything because of the KIA name. Maybe I just got unlucky and was delivered a LEMON. However I don't give KIA a pass for this since I purchased a practically brand new car from THEIR FRANCHISED DEALERSHIP and was delivered an absolute piece of garbage. I purchase a new 1-3 year old used car (Normally off lease) about every 1-3 years. I favor high end luxury cars in the price range of $30-40k.

There are three car manufacturers I will never buy from again. BMW (These cars are fun to drive but absolutely trash and maintenance and repairs will eat you alive). KIA (These cars on the surface appear to be great values but you get what you pay for). Mitsubishi (My first car was a Galant. Head gasket blew up at 60k miles. Car was babied and I expected to get many more years of life out of it. This happened when I was just out of college.) Congratulations KIA. You made the list. I'll never buy your brand again because of the terrible experience and product you delivered.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Kia Stinger the end of June 2018 and have had nothing but grief since the purchase. Presently the car has 3200 miles on it and has been in the garage multiple times. I've made several trips to the dealer for a trunk rattle in which they had to put shims in the slam block in the hatch to resolve the problem. Then it was back in the garage because the interior lights quit working. And several weeks ago I backed it out of the garage and shut the car off for a brief time waiting for my husband to get into the car and when he went to start the car all the lights started flashing and the car would not start and the car would not recognize that the key fob was present.

I immediately called the Kia dealer and the service manager went home for the evening and no techs available but was advised to have the car towed to Kia or call roadside assistance. This episode caused us to be late for an appointment. To make a long story short the battery had to be replaced the next day interfering with plans that were made for the day. Today my car is @ the dealership once AGAIN for them to monitor a violent jerk in the car which has occurred several times and was told the fuel pump will probably need replaced! They will be keeping the car for several days. I'd like to note that I have to drive 35 miles one way to the Kia dealership. A new car is suppose to be a pleasurable satisfying experience and an investment in my hard earned money.

This experience of owning my first Kia has been a nightmare causing me inconvenience, stress and grief. I regret the purchase and it was not a cheap purchase. No vehicle with this amount of mileage should have so many issues like I have had. I'm making payments on a car that sits in a garage being repaired every month. I often wonder how much this unreliable car will cost me in the future when warranty runs out. I'd like to note on the positive side that Kia's service department has been awesome through this ordeal and has expressed concern and understanding with my frustrations and their customer service at Team Kia in Johnstown, Pa. is first class.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I bought a new 60,000 dollar vehicle Kia Sorrento, I have had to boost it first thing in morning, I have had to boost it when out shopping in parking lot. I went into Kia and they said they would charge me 140 if they could find nothing wrong. I should not be charged anything as there is definitely something wrong. Sorrento is loaded and they said if you're using a lot of things in car it takes 18 to 20 minutes to charge battery back up. I boosted it yesterday in parking lot of bed, bath and beyond drove around 20 min, came home parked it, just went out to start it dead again. I think either battery is not big enough to have enough reserve power or parasitic drain or it’s not fully charging (not my fault).

Yesterday the light over the button for locking door went out. As I said vehicle is new under 12000 kilometres. I think it is terrible you're dead in the water after you buy a 60000 dollar vehicle. I regret buying a Kia, this was my first and never ever had this prob with another vehicle. People beware, I sure do not want to be left walking in 40 below weather.

Kia Company Information