3.32/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

1027 Kia Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 4, 2019

After owning 3 Hyundai Elantras, I decided to keep it in the family and purchase a Brand new 2015 Soul. I pat myself on the back every day because of that decision. For a comfortable amount of money I get - excellent gas mileage, roomy interior, sitting high lets me see everything very easily, plenty of “stuff inside” - nice size screen (which I never thought I needed, but use it every day), radio, CD player, excellent dash lighting, cruise control - and much more.

It’s 2019 and just took “her” for a 125 mile trip to the beach. You would have thought “she” was brand new. At one point I looked at the dash and realized I was going 70 in a 55 (don’t tell anyone since I have never had a ticket). I was just amazed how smooth and quiet “she” was after four years. Gas consumption was amazing. For anyone looking for a smaller yet roomy car with a low price tag and plenty of options, besides being eye candy, the Soul cannot be beat. Check it out. See for yourself how big small can be.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have had 4 Kias now, 2012 Rio and 2014 Soul both 4 years, 2017 Sportage and 2014 Optima. No problems with any of them but we are low mileage drivers. A word of warning, there are recalls on the 2011 to 2014 4 cylinder engines for failure. Also, get your oil changed at the Kia dealer, their filters are very good and have a unique property of allowing oil to pass thru on start up. Do not use 5w20 in over 60F weather, it's a government scam to get better gas mileage, use the owner's manual to determine what viscosity you should use, during the winter I let them put in their 5w20, during the summer I insist on 5w30. I hope not to have the problems I have read about. Good luck.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased the 2018 Kia Sorento EX 3.3L AWD new in January 2018. I currently have 23k miles on the vehicle now. This vehicle has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars. The AWD system works great, handling is great, power is there when you need it and it's comfortable. Every vehicle has its cons, but I find it difficult to find one with the Sorento. I know a few other people who own a Sorento and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

The interior has a great feel and well put together, unlike a lot of new vehicles and their cheap composite plastic. The lines are almost seamless. The warranty (10yr/100k) seems great until you read the fine print. A lot of components are dropped off the warranty at certain mileage intervals along the way to the 100k benchmark. I did pay for the better warranty which covers all components to 100k miles, but even then other companies have warranties only going out to 24k to 36k miles, which is convenient to drop the vehicle's warranty the moment it leaves "new car status."

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that's considering purchasing an mid size SUV. For what you pay it's the best bang for the buck. There is a transmission software update available. I brought the vehicle back in at 5600 miles to have it completed. KIA sent a $50 Visa prepaid debit card in the mail due to the inconvenience. I've never received anything from any other manufacturer for an "inconvenience."

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Kia defective forward collision avoidance being blown off. I called Kia Consumer Affairs after our local Kia technicians replicated a malfunctioning FCA system, reached out to the Kia Corporate Tech Line to troubleshoot, and the Tech-Line refused to acknowledge any issue. To them, if the Forward Collision Avoidance system was working while in Cruise control mode, it was functioning fine. The system is supposed to apply brakes and give an audible warning when NOT in cruise control. And it had worked - twice. But never again. Although it does apply brakes when in cruise control mode and a car slows down in front of you. In order to replicate the problem, the local techs nearly wrecked my car while doing a white-knuckle test without cruise control. No alarm went off / no brakes came on. The system was not functioning as advertised to prevent sudden collisions when driving in regular (non-cruise control) mode.

I called Kia Consumer affairs and they opened a case number for me. They reached out to the dealership to confirm the problem their techs found. They said they would have a field-tech come and examine my car. BUT Field tech called the tech-line, who said there isn't a problem, and field-tech refused to come examine my car. Kia Consumer Affairs blew off the problem and said they can't go over the head of the Tech Line. Really? VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE since everything is circular and the Tech-Line is God. It's supposed to work on paper, so the Tech-line believes there couldn't possibly be an actual problem with their product. So much so, they REFUSE to have one of their corporate techs look at it in person to verify the problem themselves!

So, this is a safety Hazard. I spent $$$ on a high end technology warranty package. The vehicle is just 1 year old, and the reason I purchased all the safety features is null and void. And there is nothing I can do about it. Kia Consumer Affairs Department has no power to request something to be looked into that the Tech-Line doesn't want to acknowledge. This is not right. Even the Kia Dealership can't believe this is happening. But they, like me, have no power. DO NOT BUY A KIA VEHICLE. They have a serious issue with this safety feature and refuse to look into it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Proud owner of a KIA Stinger GT, so called top model of KIA (please go to last sentence if you want the short version). I have owned may new cars in my life and had never had so many issues with any of them but when I had issues I was serviced properly and got a courtesy car for the time of not having a brand new car. I understand that 3 year I would not class as brand new but anything between 1 and 2 year and less than 50,000 km I would. 7 year warranty is only as good as the service they provide and what does it help if I cannot drive my car because it is in repair because of manufacturing faults. A few things I came across from brand new, paint chips like glass. The smallest stone will leave a damage (compared to my previous car which I had for more than 4 years), in 2 month I had more stone chips than in 4 years with my Mazda 3 SPS25. Nothing changed in the way I use the car or where I drive it.

When picking up the car brand new already had water mark stains which they pretend not to see till I pushed their nose down on it. The leather seats had already indent/loss of shape. When I had a puncture on the front tire (15k's) the service center advised that the tire would be repairable, no issue with the puncture but the manufacturer put a tire on which is unsafe and has a huge shaving inside (Continental Tires), this tires were not on stock and I had to replace 2 front tires to be safe again. The thread was not even halve used, I sent Continental a photo of the tire and they ask to bring the tire to them. Well normally I do not hang my broken tires around my neck and as this is a wear and tear item I was under the assumption that it would not be covered by warranty and left it with the tire service.

Next day I called them to ask if they still have them but they were picked up ($500 down the drain). All this thinks I can live with after all this Stinger is a nice car and when you pay for top model you have to expect top problems (a little sarcasm :-). Moving on now having 25,000 km (15,500 miles) on the car and coming out to my garage to find the car dead as a 10 year old battery can be when used in a start stop system, non of this is applicable to my car and the winters are very soft in Australia. I blamed my selves for not being careful when cleaning my car (no one else is allowed to clean my cars, I'm very fastidious with my car) and may have left something on overnight. Hard enough to find out that battery is in the boot and it is not accessible when electric is down. I called KIA service to be told battery is not a warranty item (wrong, their terms and conditions states 24 month, car is only 17 month old).

Well in the end I called KIA roadside assist and they came very fast (kudos to them) and they replaced the battery without any bad comments. No charges, me happy camper again, till I went away for 2 days with my other car and the car was dead again. I had to go to work as I had very important meetings and interstate customer flew in for this meeting so I was unable to accommodate for them (not of your concern sorry back to the facts). My partner had to drop off the car after roadside assist managed to jump start the car, at KIA service they let her wait till the last courtesy car was gone and told her car needs to stay for investigation. She had to find her way home from a location which has no easy public transport and we just live 9 km away from the service center.

The sales center is just up the road and they at least had the courtesy to drop her off at home (Kudos to them but feel also sorry for them as the service center is a shocker and what they try to make good service center will destroy). Now I'm sitting on my desk at work waiting for a call 3 days after and not one call to keep me up to date. Meanwhile I researched the problem and within one hour I found out that it is actually a common problem on several cars already returned for that particular reason, only KIA will know how many but as I'm very particular with my car I would assume there are many out their. I'm sure they will fix the car in the end but this is not my issue, it is the fact not to react to a common problem and thoroughly investigate and communicate such huge problem (I classify an un-drivable car as useless) as it could be fixed quickly and may also preventive be fixed in a service (not going there either another dark chapter).

Forgot to mention gear popping out when trying to quickly shift from park into drive or reverse when parking and trying to get out of harms way. You must be tired by now and I bring it to an end other you fall over dead. Moral is that a 7 year guaranty is only as good as the service and the car if it is fixed and you missing your car all the time you still give a damn about the 7 year. Not saying other manufacturer have no problems either but this is the first time in about 10 brand new cars I owned I have such issues. The car could have been the neck breaker for the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes but I think they cannot even reach the service and quality of Mazda. Yes I love that car that is why I swallowed all this crap so far but be aware when you buy a new car. What is more important a car who runs or a car who has 7 years warranty to be in the service center all the time and you left stranded without car. Good luck with your next car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Disappointed customer. I thought I was making a smart choice when I bought my used 2011 Kia Sorrento (Liberty Ford) boy was I wrong. The reason for the purchase I needed a reliable car as I drive 500 miles a week from home to work and with Kia having a 10 year 100k mile warranty and the car only having 70k miles on was to me at the time a no brainer. I had the car a little over a year and the engine went. I did purchase the extended warranty from Liberty but because it was a Kia they could not work on it and sent it to Bedford Kia for inspection. After numerous phone calls and even an in-person visit, they had my car for 52 days before it was fixed and returned to me. They put in a new/used engine that had at the time 65k miles on it so I thought once again I was in good shape, well I was wrong again.

This engine lasted 11 months and 22k miles and because I was over the miles, I was told in not so many words - sucks to be you right now, you will have to foot this bill. I also want to note this engine quit on me as I was slowing down for an accident that was on the freeway. I was going about 60mph at the time, tapped the brakes to slow down and the engine quit. I had to limp the car from the high speed lane to the berm with no power, it was a very dangerous situation at the time. I am just trying to understand as a customer that had 2 bad engines where the accountability as a manufacturer is? I do understand warranties but all I was looking for was someone to say we understand and give me some kind of help.

I wasn’t looking for Kia to pay the entire bill but 2 engine failures engines that only made it to around 80k that were not my fault some help would have been nice. All toll right now I have around $6.200 invested back in a car I only paid $7,400 for. As a single father of 6 working 2 jobs this was a bill I did not need. With all this being said I would like to thank my mechanic at Done-Rite Auto who treated me as a person first and a customer second by cutting his price on labor and parts and had the car fixed in 3 days as opposed to the 52 it took Kia to fix it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My 2016 Kia Sorento seized on 8/16/19... stopped in the middle of the highway. No lights, no sounds, nothing. Did some investigating and it was out of oil. Just had it changed on 6/7/19. Dealership is refusing to honor the lifetime warranty. Again, no lights, no warning, no nothing. 5.5 quarts of oil went somewhere in two months. Or at least that's what was SUPPOSED to be in there. There are several class action lawsuits pending as well regarding this issue & similar things. Don't be fooled.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Kia's customer service department is the absolute WORST customer service department that I have ever dealt with in my 52 years of living. I paid my car off more than 6 months ago and I have called at least 12 times in the past 4 months seeking assistance but, I have been unable to obtain my title. Every time that you call them, there is a new excuse. First, it was lost in the mail. So, I asked them to provide a duplicate. The next 10 calls I was promised something by mail. Here I am 4+ months later and I have still not received anything from them. I'm at my wits end.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER deal with this lousy company. If they gave me my next car for free, I would actually tell them to keep it. That's how angry I am. I'm going to call a local TV station in NY and ask them to help me rectify the situation by getting them involved and embarrassing KIA in front of thousands of their viewers. I'm not going to get mad, I'm going to get even. MORAL OF THE STORY: DO NOT BUY A KIA.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My wife and I drove our vehicle on a service recall with KIA motors and during the conversation on the phone my wife mentioned the right directional was not working. Anthony current manager stated that he would give my wife a quoted price of 15.00 for the bulb holder instead of the regular price of 40.00 dollars. We were both grateful for the savings as we are now retirees.

When walked up to parts and service counter we asked for the right directional signal and stated to the counter rep. that Anthony quoted us 15.00 Dol. for the part, he stated that the part is 40.00 dollars not 15.00. So my wife asked to speak to Anthony. My wife introduced herself as the one he quoted the discounted price to. Anthony denied the conversation. I was there next to my wife when this conversation was taking place. I told him, "Why did you quote this part price if you were not going to honor it? My wife just spoke to you on the phone. How did we know your name and asked for you if this was not so." I told him as a previous manager for a marketing firm if you lack loyalty and good customer service you won't last long as quote (manager). For this reason my wife and I have decided to stay with Folsom KIA. Their quality of SERVICE IS AMAZING!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have a 2011 Kia Sorento which I've taken very good care of. About 18 months ago I noticed a paint chip on the leading edge of the roof. I thought it might of been caused by a stone on the highway so I didn't think too much of it. About 6 months ago I found four more pieces of paint missing on the roof. A month ago the paint on my hood began to peel away down to the primer in several places.

I went to Lokey Kia in Clearwater and spoke to the service manager, he told me to file a consumer complaint as Kia is notorious for not working with customers to make them happy. There's no reason that an eight year old car should have paint peeling from the roof and hood. Was looking for a little "good will" from Kia and it's not happening... Btw, the manager told me that I wasn't the first person he's spoken to about peeling paint. Sounds like a factory defect, but Kia doesn't want to hear that. I'm also on my fourth right rear wheel speed sensor... That's also an issue. There was a recall but it seems that they didn't fix the issue. Can someone get Kia's attention please?

Kia Company Information