1.1/5 (30 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Kia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I leased a 2022 Kia Niro EV at the end of last year. I lease new cars because I want to know that there will not be any issues with them. I have had the car for less than a year. The battery always seemed to have a problem from the beginning (the "low power turtle" would regularly come on) and then more recently the car stopped working altogether while I was driving it and the warning light for the electrical system came on. Since I realized I could no longer safely drive the car, I took it in to the Kia dealership. They told me that the wire harness needs to be replaced.

However, they have told me that this part is on back-order and that they have no idea when it will arrive. My car has already been there for 10 days and they still cannot tell me when the part will arrive. In the meantime, they have given me a rental car to use. However, I leased the Niro because I am able to charge it for free at my workplace. Now, I am forced to pay for gas while I wait for Kia to find the replacement part. I tried calling Kia customer care center multiple times today; each time I spoke with someone who told me I was calling the wrong department, and routed me back to the main number. I am very upset because I am paying a lease on a brand-new car that does not work; no one can tell me how long it will take for the part to arrive and this to be resolved; I'm paying for gas that I had not budgeted for; and their customer care center telephone line seems to be completely useless.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I bought my baby straight off the truck the end of June 2022. I have a 2022 Kia k5 gt. It only had 10 miles on it. My transmission is slipping after 3 months!!!! I was doing 35mph down a main street and my rpms were at 3 and you can hear it kick into gear but still holding 35mph. They want to keep my car and if they can't find the problem I'd have to pay for the rental they will give me. I told them I need a car because my son is special needs and I need a reliable car in case something happens to my son!!! There's a recall on my car but because it's not finalized till Dec I have to wait!!! This is such **!!! I bought a NEW car for a reason!!!

They are putting my son and I both at risk. Gears pick up on me while I'm making a turn. Or if I'm at a stop light I will barely push the gas and it will just take off. Other times it won't even pick up speed and I have to throw it into sport mode to make it accelerate.. I can not believe I got rid of a car that was having transmission issues for a brand new car with the same problem... recall or not my transmission is messing up and it's under warranty and they aren't taking me serious.

Their customer service sucks. I can never get through to anyone. My first 2 oil changes I called for 3 or 4 days and still no one would call back or answer! I finally asked to speak to a person not a voice mail. My second oil change they tried to charge me for saying that was my 3rd oil change. First of all I bought the 3 year oil change package and second she said I had an oil change in 2020. I looked at her and said it's a 2022 so how's that possible. I'm not happy at all. Like I said RECALL OR NOT IT'S UNDER WARRANTY! **

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We bought a brand new Kia Sportage in November 2020. The car has never been quite right - I.e electrics didn’t work that great (the windows would not go up properly, the sat nab never worked, apple play froze and went on and off). We got a recall letter in the post roughly 10 months later… we called up Kia to book in a service and the recall - they said, Call back at a later date as we don’t have the parts right now and can’t fix your car!" A few weeks ago the engine light randomly came on. We took it straight to Kia to get serviced. When dropping off the mechanic noted the fire smell!

The next day we get a bill for $19,500 for a brand new engine! On a car that has done 25000k, not even 2 years old! The engine has internal damage and can not be fixed! Not external - no way of knowing until it was too late! Kia says it is out of warranty (the 7-year warranty that they advertise is dodgy and means nothing! Do not be fooled. These guys will not pay out and fix your car. There are so many cases like this! They simply do not care at all!)

Up on many hours of arguing my case to Kia (and getting nowhere - just being constantly rejected and them being a robot, spouting the same line over and over again), one Kia staff member admitted that the newer engines are not like the old ones and will fail! They have concentrated so much on design, they do not care what goes in the engines! As long as it looks pretty right and can get your money!

They also admitted the complimentary “service” they give after 3 months of buying the new car is not a service and they do not do anything! Maybe if they actually looked at the engine, they may have realized they sold me a car with a dodgy engine! Once we realized they were not going to fix the car and we have to go down other avenues (fair trading, accc, join class action lawsuits etc), we started looking into it. 35% of Kia complained are about engine problems! (This is a major issue!) a $20,000 issue if this happens to you + a lot of heartache, stress, financial and not having a car for maybe years!

There have been and are quite a few class action lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for their engine failures! Their cars have blown up and killed people! This car was parked in my house, under where my young daughters sleep! They claim these cars are safe! They are the opposite of safe! Considering a lot of people buy suvs because they have children!

Don’t buy one of these cars - literally risking the lives of your family! There is a Facebook group called engine failure - Kia/Hyundai (look up for more info) where there is 3.4k members all experiencing the same issue and dealing with the lack of Kia's customer service! Kia has recalled 100 of thousands of cars in USA and Australia due to engine failure and risk of fires! In May 2017 Kia reached a $1.3billion settlement on a class action for engine fires! We will be looking into perusing this but wanted to let anyone who is thinking about a Kia to really think about everything! When we bought our car, we only saw positive reviews, because car magazines and so on have a relationship with the car companies and get paid for those reviews! We will never buy a Kia again and I wish I read this before we bought one in the first place! Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I have owned numerous Kia. This last one is 2021 Sorento and I have had numerous issues. When I contacted Kia about fading of the trim when I still have a bumper to bumper warranty on the car. They tell me it is not their problem for fading. I also contacted them about a dealership who did some work on my car and damaged the vehicle. They told me it was not their problem either. If this is how they treat repeat customers I will never buy another Kia again. There are other cars out there for the price. I paid for this vehicle over 50,000 and for the trim to be fading after a year and half and I am told I have to replace it my problem. Don't think so. I can take my business somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! Car didn’t even last 100,000 miles and service has been horrendous. I have never left a bad review for anyone, but I feel a sense of responsibility to tell you about Westhills Autoplex and Haselwood car dealers. After being a great customer and buying three new Kias from them over the past decade, I will never purchase from Kia, Westhills or any Haselwood auto dealership, ever again. I have never been treated like this by any other customer service industry in my six decades of living. The WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

The general manager gave out his email and phone number saying to contact him if you need anything, which we did, but we received no response whatsoever after our multiple attempts to reach him. Also tried to talk with the service manager multiple times over many months and he never returned calls, voicemail or emails. The service reps on the floor are nice, but when there’s a problem they can’t help you and tell you they’ll talk to the manager about it. I do not believe these people care a whip about us. We have been turned away time and again with an engine under warranty that was failing, was never properly diagnosed, and could have caught fire! It’s happening to many Kia engines - google it.

Here’s the story that has been going on for a year and a half, while we were trying everything to get help for an engine that failed under warranty: I bought a 2014 Kia Rio, new, which started to have engine and oil consumption issues at 93,000 miles. We took it in over and over again trying to get it fixed, to no avail. Westhills Kia told us they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the car each time we took it in, and kept asking to do oil consumption tests and “come back in 1,000 miles,” which we did and they repeatedly found “nothing wrong.” Were they purposely dragging their feet, or do they not know how to properly diagnose and repair engine problems - until the warranty expires?

Not only has Westhills Kia blown us off time and time again, telling us there was no problem with the engine repeatedly until it seized and melted the catalytic converters, but because they did nothing but tell us to “come back in another 1,000 miles” repeatedly, until it failed just as the odometer turned past the 100,000 mile warranty, Westhills then told us it would cost $4,000 for a new engine.

After months of trying to get reparations through Kia Consumer Affairs (who would never follow up as they said they would - we had to continually call them for months to get any answers at all) they gave us a “goodwill new engine” but instead, they didn’t do a full engine replacement as they seemed to imply they would, and only replaced the block, which proved to fix none of the issues. The engine still shook like crazy when fired and still had the same terrible noise as before and this “new engine” has a warranty of only 1 year or 12,000 miles when it should have been “lifetime” since it definitely began to fail under warranty and we took it in repeatedly for help, while under warranty.

After the “new engine” was put in, they said the catalytic converter was melted and we had to get that replaced for $1,800. We did that and then they said the cylinder head and valves needed replacement but Kia denied helping us because it was, “out of warranty.” What a bunch of lemon companies! We have been out of a working car for a year and a half now and have a car that failed within the warranty - and neither Westhills nor Kia corporate is offering to fix the issue completely or replace the car - but they do offer to keep taking our money for repairs that don’t work!

We were told by a service rep at Westhills Kia that Kia engines are failing like crazy - so I googled and found it’s true and that there are class action lawsuits for engine failures and engine FIRES! So far Kia has settled over $1.3 billion dollars in failed and deadly engine lawsuits. Just to warn you, DO NOT BUY FROM WESTHILLS OR HASELWOOD AUTO - and DO NOT BUY A KIA!! A few years down the road, you will deeply regret ever believing in them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

We have a 2018 Kia Niro. Ran great up until it hit about 95,000 miles. Started having issues with the check engine light. Our dealership in Winchester, VA told us it needed an oil change. We changed oil and the light came on about a month later, again they said an oil change. Once again the light came back on about month later and they said it was another oil change. We have now hit 104,000 miles and the light came on so we changed the oil. That did not work so we had it assessed and now it is an issue with the Intake CVVT and Oil Control Valve and will cost $2500. Kia will not cover this but should as it started before the warranty ran out. Kia DOES NOT stand by their work, they are lazy and do not care how much business you bring them. We had a Sorento Hybrid on order as well and cancelled that. I will NEVER own another Kia ever again. Worst service I have ever dealt with.

Original review: July 30, 2022
    Hello. My review is on a Kia Seltos 2021. About two weeks ago, my Seltos started making a horrible sound from the engine, then the check engine light came on. I scheduled a service for the following morning. On my way to the dealership, the car died and it was towed. The car has been at the dealership in Riverdale, New Jersey ever since. The service department has been terrible in Riverdale, New Jersey, especially Jorge. They’ve treated me and my father horrible. You can clearly see I’m going through chemo treatments, and I have been treated like a piece of garbage. The service department is blaming corporate, saying that corporate’s blaming me that I’m the one who damaged the vehicle. They’re saying I owe $7,500 for a new engine, when I only owe 25 on my lease, which ends July of 2023. Do the math, why would I pay that amount when it's not my fault? I have my car at the Riverdale, New Jersey Kia in February of 2022 for the piston recall, which is online and everyone knows about. Okay? They set me on my way, they said everything was good. Now, that has to do with the oil that could leak that could damage an engine. So, how do I know it wasn’t their neglect? Now, I’m being blamed, as I’ve said. There are multiple complaints on this same issue on this vehicle. If you look them up, there are complaints. And it says, “The noise. The engine.” Please help. Thank you.
    Original review: July 29, 2022

I have had my new Kia for exactly 7 months now and have spent essentially all of those 7 months trying to get a defect fixed or the vehicle replaced. Kia Canada has continuously tried every possible option they can think of to try and fix it but it never gets fixed. Their lack of communication is downright evil; they literally could not care less about their customers. I have been paying good money for my lease and have yet to actually have what I am paying for due to this defect. Yes, some might have pleasant experiences with driving a Kia and if that is you, consider yourself lucky. But if you ever need Kia to step up and actually back up their commitment to their cars and customers, you will see for yourself why I can not overemphasize that people should stay away from this brand.

I wish I never signed on the dotted line for my lemon. That Kia Canada forces me to sound like a crazy person emailing them over and over again as if I am the one who provided a faulty product is - as I said before - evil. I will never touch a Kia again when I am done with this nightmare. The fact that it is a safety issue as well means nothing to them. I can be in an accident because of this defect and they would not blink an eye. It is a terrible way to treat your customers.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I own a 2019 KIA Sorento, still under factory warranty. On the way to my dentist appointment my battery charging warning light started flashing. An O'Reilly Auto Parts store found my voltage regulator was bad. I called KIA Road assistance at 10:07 am. I was asking where I needed to take the car in Sedalia, MO for KIA warranty work. The answer. It had to be towed to a KIA dealership. At 12 pm I requested a tow from KIA assistance. I called again at 12:41 pm to find when to expect the tow. I again called KIA at 3:38 pm, and was told they were still trying to find a tow for my car. They still couldn't find me a tow. Being a AAA member I called them at 4:38. It took less than an hour for my AAA to arrive. I called KIA roadside, and told them I no longer needed them. I received a call at 5:05 am the next day to tell me they found a tow for me. If I ever buy a KIA again I will decline the FREE roadside assistance. It is worth less than free.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I don't normally post about bad experiences..but I have had a few Kias. They have been the best cars and the warranty has been phenomenal. I just bought my car a few months ago (2021 K5) and my condenser went out. There is no damage done to my car and they will not fix it because it was an "environmental problem". This is not environmental it is a design flaw and frankly cheap parts. I'm currently going back and forth with corporate so they can make this right and stand by their products and not operate in bad faith. I was also told that it was Kia's design of the grill that they don't protect the condenser. This was from the manager at Greenway Kia in west palm beach.

Kia Company Information