Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.74/5

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

987 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Buyer beware! My husband and I both leased new Kias in August. My Sorento needs a new transmission at less than 6 months old and at 4,000 miles. We are being told the transmission should arrive on March 10th. In the meantime I am paying a car payment on a car I don't have (at this point it is 11 days). If (big if) my car is done on time that means it will be there for 35 days! We have spoken with Randy ** (Kia consumer affairs lead escalated case) with no resolution. I have told Randy that I would like my car replaced with a comparable vehicle or a lease termination and refund. Randy is basically beating around bush without actually saying they will not do either. He would like to "look into some type of goodwill". Really not interested in "goodwill" at this point. My family learned a valuable lesson about Kia and how much they value their customers.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I am a little perplexed with your judgement call Kia... I own a 2014 Kia Sorento that’s as apart of your engine recall. The car “passed” the tests ran on it to determine if a new engine was needed, only to have the engine completely cease going 50mph on a major highway in Virginia. I received a call today about an open recall on a fuel pump issue potentially causing fire. While I was aware of this situation due to the national news the issue has received I was not prepared for the supposed resolution to this issue... I was told that I needed to bring the vehicle in for inspection to determine “if they” thought the fuel pump needed to be replaced...

So, let me get this straight you want me to yet again trust people that told me my engine was completely fine when it wasn’t to now tell me I don’t need a new fuel pump but potentially catch fire??? Something is seriously wrong with this situation! The fact that you are willing to put peoples safety at jeopardy is disheartening... I have zero trust that if I am told the fuel pump doesn’t need to be replaced that I am safe. You need a better resolution and you need one fast...

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We took ownership of a brand new 2019 Kia Niro EX on 1/30/19, it would not start on 2/1/19. A tow company employee came by and took out a 'porta start' battery jumper, hooked it up and the vehicle would still not start... It was put on trickle charge overnight and the battery was fully charged on [AM] 2/2/19 but same problem persisted... Resolution = have it towed in, no vehicle to use in the interim (UVO message says "were closed, bye" and roadside response says they do not deal with anything other than getting the vehicle hauled in).

I have a hard time wrapping my head around what happened. The dealer says UVO should/can help but, unfortunately, if you need rental assistance and it is the weekend--- it appears you are out of luck (vacation with family/friends!). I think KIA needs to retool their customer relations department. Last KIA I buy and I will be sure to relate my experience (with no exaggeration) to those asking me 'how do you like your new car?' "...Oh, do you mean the new (219) KIA Niro EX we bought on Wed and on Friday we had no vehicle to use, no communication/help except a tow company suppose I was out of town with my family..." Can't make it up! I could go on but would rather focus my time on laying out my experience with KIA, which I will do. I would be more than happy to send documentation to anyone who is interested/in need of it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Purchased a 2011 Kia Sorrento brand new (less than 100 miles on it) in August of 2014. Went to bring it in for a simple camera replacement that would be covered under the 5 year/60k warranty, only to find out that the warranty started back in 2011 when the car was placed on the lot. So by the time I purchased the car, there were only 2 years left of the warranty unbeknownst to me (even though they sold me the car as "new" --certainly not a "demo"). Conveniently no one is able to resolve this issue -- hitting a wall with kiaconsumeraffairs, and the dealership is just not helpful altogether. This is my second Kia, and will now be my last. A lot of headache over a quick repair. Curious if all dealerships do this to lessen the chance of someone making a claim under the warranties -- have them all start prior to the car being sold.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

On 11/25/18 I purchased a vehicle from KIA of Irvine. They totally scammed me on the service and maintenance contracts and also the theft deterrent on the car. They went as far as to fraudulently forged my signatures on the maintenance and service contracts. Those two added up to $4000.00, they also snuck in $1495.00 for the theft. So a total of $5495.00 added to my contract without my knowledge of it.

The people that work in finance are nothing less than thieves and liars. None. And for you people that work in sales your hands aren't clean either. You might not be directly involved in the fraud and the "Payment Packing" that is being used in finance, all of you most definitely are aware of what's going on over there in finance. When you guys forged my signature on those two contracts, you then submitted them for payment and then received payment for them. That is fraud!! And I am 100% convinced that the owner of this dealership has got to be aware of the practices being used there to commit fraud to scam their customers out of money. "HE KNOWS." Every one in sales and finance are all thiefs and I assure you, that you will get what you have coming.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

There's a reason Kia and Hyundai have a bad rep around the auto world, and reliability is a pretty good contributor to that image. Bought a 2010 Sorento, not even 9 years old and at 60k miles suffered catastrophic engine failure. At first, engine stalled due to faulty MAF sensor, managed to bring the car back home in limp mode around 3 miles. Replaced it, started it up and after around a minute car starts shaking violently and oil spills out all over the floor.

Lifted the engine to see if there was anything that could be a done and a piston had completely destroyed 2 cylinders. Called Kia about this and would cost more to repair than the car's worth. Had a very similar experience with a 2006 Optima, however bought that car used at 70k miles so it wasn't as big of a loss. I guess I'm the idiot for thinking Kia/Hyundai reliability would have changed in that 4 year gap. If you want a car to at least 100k miles, stay as far away as humanly possible from these brands.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought my in July 2018. Have taken the car to the Kia dealerships 6 times and to no avail. They will not fix the car because they say on the computer that they hook it up to cannot find anything wrong. The weekend that I bought it I immediately called them to let them know what was happening. When you put the car on ECO after 10 miles it starts to move to the 3/4 mark on the gauge, there is a ton of white smoke out of the exhaust and smells of gas, also the sticker on the car says 24/28/36. I get 13 miles to the gallon in town and Lexington, Ky is not that big which I get at the highest is 322 miles per tank, also they come with an 18.5 gallon tank but on empty with the light on I get 13.5 gallons per fill up. They have told me, "There is 5 gallons in reserve and also you're not going to see a big difference until the 10,000 mile mark," which we all know is pure crap. Do not ever buy a Kia. It would not let me give it zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We purchased this vehicle in April of 2017 and have regretted our purchase because of the numerous issues. We have wasted many hours trying to get warranty repairs on faulty brakes and electrical system problems and are still trying. Not only does this hybrid have very poor gas mileage and many strange glitches, it is also very difficult to get any service done as each of the dealerships only staff 1 hybrid technician. We have been to 3 different dealerships and in communication with the corporate office about a recurring abs system malfunction that they cannot figure out how to fix. It is extremely unsettling to have a check brakes alert pop up 2-3 times a month on a car that is still under warranty and extremely frustrating to be unable to get this company to stand behind their product and fix a potentially life-threatening problem. Protect your family by not buying a KIA!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased my 2014 Kia Sorento after it was a leased vehicle for two years. I was thrilled at the beginning until halfway through year 2 of owning it ALL of my paint started peeling off of the roof and the sides of the windshield. After fighting Kia for months and them denying that anything with their paint is faulty and taking it to numerous repair shops I got it painted for the low low price of $1,000. I then had the OTHER side of my windshield start peeling less than 2 weeks after I got the driver side painted resulting in me having to fight with Kia again.

I have been fighting this battle since June of 2018 and am still waiting for my reimbursement check from consumer affairs for the first round of repainting. They apparently keep forgetting to hit their magical process button for my check as that is the excuse I've now received 3 times from them. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THEIR CARS. The paint is not properly applied and is not thick enough and will start peeling just before year 4 of owning the car. Kia will tell you they only insure their paint job for 3 years and that you are "out of luck." This product is faulty and they are not willing to do anything except turn you away and not acknowledge the problem. Terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Bought a 2016 Kia Sorento 10/2017. Was traveling for work related activity in FL. Engine seized. Had to be towed to nearest KIA in SE Alabama. Car has been down since 12/18/2018. KIA states will replace motor. But they don't seem to understand that when an original motor is pulled from a vehicle and the mileage on the chassis and body differs, the title becomes what is known to the States and lenders as a Salvaged title. You lose if any but all trade in value. Also articulating the circumstance to a future buyer can be complicating in itself. I will state for the record that this is my third KIA. First was a 14 Soul, 16 Optima I bought brand new left the lot with only 17 miles on the motor, at 40, was told the engine has a recall and would fail due to improper oil delivery system, so I trade up to the 16 Sorento, and well well, here we are at 22,miles and what do we have once again. A LEMON.

KIA is ripping off American Consumers and should be banned from conducting business in the USA. They need to pack up and go back to Seoul. This is part of what is wrong with our economy. And the personal debt ceilings rise and rise, due to inadequate products, as soon as one car is paid for it breaks and time to repurchase again. We need to get back to the basics and make cars like they use to. I’ve got a 96 Chevy that runs as if it was just driven off the lot. Wake UP America.

Kia Company Information