Kia

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a Kia Sorento based on their claims of safety and all the airbags they have. In Dec I was in an unfortunate accident. Luckily my children were not in the vehicle. I was hit from all sides by multiple vehicles. NOT ONE AIR BAG deployed. The passenger side doors were on the seats and the frame between the front and back seats was split in half (right where there is an airbag). Kia said that in this situation the airbags are not designed to deploy when hit in that fashion. So they are claiming no fault. The vehicle was totaled. If Kia is so safe with all their airbags and I was T-boned and hit from all sides then what type of situation do you have to be hit in in order for them to deploy. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I currently own a 2015 Kia Optima and days before New Years, my car started making funny noises and it stalled under a red light. The car was ultimately towed to the dealership where I was told it had engine failure and they performed a claim for a new engine which was luckily approved and covered under warranty. But the downside to it was that I was paying my car without a month paying it and when I got it back my bumper was cracked. I questioned the dealership and obviously they will brush it off... a week after my new engine... On a Saturday morning I went to drive my car and it would not start... again... The car was towed to the dealer and they now tell me it's the starter motor! Again no car... This is absolutely Ridiculous for a brand new vehicle and I am sick of owning a Kia! I strongly suggest you deviate from purchasing a Kia EVER!!!

The car was sitting in my daughter's driveway. When she went out to leave her house she got in and prior to starting the car she heard a large bang and then the left front tire went flat within seconds. AMA were called to attend and replace the tire with the spare. The AMA towing operator was unable to remove the tire as the exploded spring portion was embedded in the sidewall of the tire. The car was towed to Big O Tires in Westbank BC where they removed the tire and discovered the coil spring sticking through the tire. Thank God for BIG O as Kia would not do a thing.

The car is 2010 and was out of warranty and although the part failed in a very premature period the KIA people were impossible to deal with. They said I could send the car to them and they would replace the springs at a cost of approx $860.00. There is no way I could even consider sending the car to them as they were not even concerned about the potential for injury or death relating to an in motion failure of this nature. There is no way that this is the first failure of this kind for them and for me to allow them to replace the springs with a product that displayed this type of failure was not going to happen. Bottom line DON'T BUY A KIA. They are rude and don't care enough to address serious problems that could have cost my daughter her life. There will never be another KIA in our household and hope others will follow. My daughter had just moved to Kelowna to attend school and thankfully the spring did not fail while going through the mountains.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE???? I bought a 2015 Kia Forte in August 2015 from Brantmeier Ford/Kia in Sheboygan Wisconsin. Not 2 weeks later I had the car back to the dealership for issues. The BIGGEST issue is that the car is unsafe to drive on anything except dry roads. When there is snow, ice, or even heavy rain, the car will, out of nowhere leave its lane. This has happened multiple times. I'll be driving down the freeway at 65-70mph and out of nowhere the car will move into the lane to the right or onto the shoulder. You cannot anticipate when it will do it, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. When going over bumps in town the car shifts a lot, which feels like what it does on the freeway, only at a much slower speed.

We have had this car in and out of the dealership repair for over a year. Finally this year a technician from Kia came, felt what it did on the bumps and said it was normal for this model. I can assure you that it is NOT normal for ANY car to leave its lane while driving. This is a HUGE SAFETY ISSUE not only to the driver, but anyone else that is on the road when this happens! The dealership has replaced the rear struts, we've gotten new tires (which we paid for... the tires were worn so bad and in such an odd way in not even a year of owning the car), had alignments done, the list goes on... the repair department cannot find what is causing this.

From the very beginning the dealership was dishonest. 1st they offered a 0% deal (which is why we chose this car in the first place), when we were ready to sign the deal suddenly was not available. I could go on about the dishonesty we experience with this dealership, but my MAIN focus here is the SAFETY ISSUE of the vehicle leaving its lane while driving. If anyone else has experienced this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! I have contacted the State of Wisconsin on this matter and am in the process of filing a complaint with them and the BBB against both Kia and the dealership.

I own a 2013 Optima; the first foreign car I've purchased. This may well be the best vehicle that I have owned in my 75 years. Kia has been able to create a stunningly beautiful exterior with an equally beautiful interior. A word to your styling studio; don't screw up by attempting to create a totally different exterior. I am thinking about BMW, who has been able to improve their cars from year to year by gently improving a line here and another line there. It says "we have a great style" and will only improve the lines gently.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

2015 Kia Optima. 37k miles or so on it... engine seized after oil change. Dealership is trying to weasel out of warranty because I don't have oil receipts. Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975 states the company must prove that the bearing failure was my fault before denying warranty (lack of receipts doesn't prove lack of maintenance). Also no manufacturer can require you to use their maintenance products unless they provide them free of charge. They had a class action suit last year over this very issue. Beware any company offering great warranties... they do whatever they can to get out of honoring them. Never buy Kia.

Do not ever buy a Kia. The customer service is a joke the car is a rip off! I am the only owner of this car. I bought it brand new and it had complete engine failure by the 4th month and again before it was a year old!I have been treated so poorly by the employees at the Riverside CA Kia Dealership that I purchased the car from and the Kingman, AZ Kia that did a number on my car repairing the blown defective recalled turbo engine leaving 2 bolts off causing a major oil leak! They refuse to service my car and replace the bolts (mounting brackets). Kia in Kingman forgot to install that is now causing me to have a severe oil leak so bad when the oil line gives that has been rubbing due to the unmounted free moving engine part I won't be able to catch it if I continue to drive it and engine will blow! This is a 32,000 dollar car that should have been replaced the second time the engine failed instead they do a half ass job and won't fix the mistake they made.

I also just had the car in because the steering wheel was loose, very unsafe. I researched the issue and sure enough it was not just me with the issue it was a recall. I never got anything notifying me of the recall. I also have a annoying piece of folded paper keeping my side mirrors button up from causing my side mirrors to click even when the car is off and this is not covered under warranty and will cost at least $400 for a simple button issue. The car isn't worth the price and Kia needs to be given the credit for the horrible service of not taking care of the problems that are obviously due to faulty parts in combination with poor customer service. It has cost me more than the cost of the car. It has cost me my son's birthday his football game and now I have to pay for a rental for because they will not even when the car was 4 months old provide a rental while my car was in shop for over a week!

Do not buy a Kia esp the Optima and never take it to Kingman Kia to be repaired (my only option being I moved from California to Arizona.). "They said how do we know it was us that left the mounting brackets off..." unbelievable! Maybe because when my brand new car needed a new engine because it was not repaired properly the first time at Kia of riverside so I had to take it to Kia in Kingman being I moved to AZ from Cali... a month after purchasing the car. Then your Kia in Kingman who had it for 2 weeks replacing the engine did not mount it so it's been sliding around rubbing the oil line!

It has been almost 5 years since the MPG lawsuit was filed. I was the proud owner of a new 2012 Sportage, and was sad to hear the mpg was not quite what the manufacture said it was. But they were suppose to give settlement in 2015 three years after it was filed. Now it is five years and still no settlement. I now have 81K miles on the Sportage, I have been faithful to maintain the maintenance on at our local dealership, but because of this lawsuit not being settled in a timely manner I probably, very probably will not buy another KIA.

My car is a 2013 Sportage where the turbo failed a year ago. Kia replaced it with resistance and I assumed the replacement went well. The 2nd turbo was a rebuild which failed quickly. The dealership in Merrillville, Indiana said it was bad gas but it was the 2nd turbo failing. They replaced the 2nd turbo but the damage was done. The coils were corroding badly enough to break off and destroy the engine.

I took the Sportage to Nielsen Kia in Michigan City, Indiana. They offered either a rebuilt engine for $4,700 or a new engine for $7,000. I opted for a rebuilt repair. The dealership said it would take one month. After a month, I called weekly and got lots of excuses. After 82 days, the engine arrived at the dealership. It wasn't a rebuilt engine. It was new and would cost $8,600. What's another $3,900? Regardless of that unethical move, the new engine was faulty. It couldn't hold compression. Kia technical services got involved and determined that the new engine had the wrong piston rings. The only solution was to order a 2nd engine to replace the 1st engine which I didn't agree to anyway.

The dealership said it would take a couple days because they already had a tracking number. After a week, I called and the dealership response was "Well the 1st one took 82 days so who knows?" At this point I called Kia Customer Service thinking they could get an answer on engine inventory and escalate the situation.

1st customer service agent was professional but offered no help and after 2 days she informed me that my case was being "escalated" to the "escalated department." Sounded like I was getting somewhere. I was naive. 3 days later, a nice sounding person named Darlene from Tuscon, AZ called to let me know she held my case and would be calling the dealership to find out when the engine will arrive. I asked her to clarify because the reason I even called the customer service line was because the dealership and no idea. All they had was a tracking # that was useless because presumably the engine never shipped. Darlene told me that THIS type of engine was on a big back order list.

I asked Darlene was is the wisdom in calling the dealership to ask when the dealership is more in the dark than anyone? She said she had their phone # and would call. I asked when she planned to call? She said in 2-3 days. So then I asked when she calls and finds out that indeed the dealership did place the order, what then? Then she said she'd have more information to share with me. I asked if the information would entail a delivery date? She said no, but she would have information. She raised her voice, talked over me and was quite fed up with my line of questions which were basically "Who can find out delivery dates?" and "When will we know this type of useful information?" I know, how rude am I?

I have Kia Forte 2011 engine problem. I found problem thru my local mechanic and he told me take Kia forte 2011 to Kia dealer in Riverside California as it would cover under warranty. I talk to Sal ** service consultant at ** and kept Kia on 1-4-2017. It has been 23 day, getting answer Kia has authorized engine problem and order parts and we are working but backed up. Meanwhile I am without car.. family is suffering. I would like you to look into matter and get me daily rental value for car compensation and family suffering settlement.

I have had my 2013 Kia Sorento for 2 years and I have never had an issue with the car up until this far. Recently my fuel pump went out and as inconvenient as it was Kia's customer service helped make the situation quick and cost free. Even though I was the second owner of the car, therefore voiding the Extended warranty, Kia still covered the repairs at no cost to me. Even though it was a holiday weekend they had me in a rental car the same day and even covered the entire cost for the week I had it. The customer service representatives were all extremely nice and very accommodating to our needs. I would recommend Kia to my friends and family and plan to get one for my fiancé in the future as well.

I own a 2010 Kia Optima with approximately 63,000 miles. I have had never ending brake problems. The rear brakes and rotors have been replaced 3 times (twice within 15 months). Of course, my extended warranty covers none of the repair costs. I am extremely disappointed with this vehicle and feel this is inexcusable. I am in the process of contacting Kia directly but am doubtful I will get anywhere. Going back to a Nissan or Toyota with next purchase!

We have a 2013 Kia Optima hybrid. For about a yr and a half, we have had "Hybrid System Failure Warning" to come up on the panel. You have to pull the car over as soon as you can off the highway as it will cut off after a few minutes! Very dangerous! It has been in service twice and going for the third time tomorrow! They claim they cannot duplicate the problem and therefore cannot fix it! If it is not fixed tomorrow, we plan to go for the NC Lemon Law!

Kia knows that 2012-2014 models have an engine problem that requires a whole new engine (connecting rods). They only cover this for 1st owners and will extend the coverage for 2.4L, 4 cylinder engines. So I'm basically screwed because mine is a V6 and I am a second owner (cost $7K). Even though it is the exact same problem with the engine. I bought my car at CarMax with only 11,000 miles on it. You shouldn't have to replace your whole engine at 65,000 miles!

I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND A KIA TO ANYONE! I even asked one of the main Kia service managers in my area about this and he agreed that he wouldn't buy one. Gee, what does this say about the company. I have called customer service and they could care less. I would at least expect a massive deal on the service at least. What is also scary, is that I've been told and also seen reports that these Kia engines can just stop working while you are driving! The dealer here even told me it would be best not to drive it! Talk about being in a lurch-who can do that?? WARNING-DO NOT BUY A KIA!!!

Recent purchase of a second-hand Rondo in Canada. So far the experience has been terrific. Price was fair according to all the comparison websites, generous warranty means I still am covered. Car appears solidly built. Very low servicing costs. Decent if not fantastic mileage. Loaded with useful options and very well designed. Dealer has been very accommodating and so far the relationship has been excellent.

I was a Honda Lover and never thought I was going with a different Brand Until I traded my Honda Accord and purchase my 2012 Kia Optima SXL Turbo in 2012. My experience with the Optima so far has been good UNTIL I traded my Honda Odyssey for a 2014 Sorento SXL. Yes I had an Accord and a Odyssey and traded both for Kia's. IT HAS BEEN THE WORST MISTAKE EVER TO GO WITH THE SORENTO. Me and Family have not enjoy the car because of the following issues - transmission Issues, BATTERY/CAR WON'T START only if you JUMP IT. I have been at the Kia East in ORLANDO many, many times and getting no answers. Today 01-12-17 the car is in my driveway not able to start. I called and sent emails to the service Manager "G" and no answers.

The service has been ridiculous bad/ time responding bad/follow ups from Headquarters super bad not to mentioned many more. I won't say more, but to tell people that are reading this blog to simply STAY AWAY FROM GETTING ON A SORENTO!!! DO NOT BUY ONE!!! YOU WILL GET WHITE HAIRS!!! Definitely not a fan of Kia anymore!!! I am thinking of going back to HONDA.

So I had a great fully loaded Kia Sedona leather the works back in 2003. It ran great for a few years. KIA would send me an email if anything needed to be replaced or recalled. When my family traveled to Japan for a tour of duty with the Navy we were forced to put it into long term storage. When we came back after 4 years it has some oil stains in the front. No biggie. It was a holiday weekend (4th of July in Compton, CA). We get my whole family and baby loaded up with all of our suitcases for a long drive to DC over the next month supposedly. Lo and behold the engine stutters to 10-15 miles per hour on the freeway and will not accelerate. We get it towed in 100+ degree temp, while my family jumps in a taxi, me being the last person to not fit. I carry some luggage that doesn't fit in the taxi to a local rent a car facility. Where because it was a holiday (4th of July weekend) there was not a single car available in LA to rent.

My family ends up at Disneyland because they are the only places that has space available for the weekend. My car on the following Monday has so much rust in the tank and other misc problems that I did not trust it to make the drive to Washington, DC. We ended up trading it in with only 23,000 miles for next to nothing for the 2012 Kia Sedona fully loaded in 2011. My wife wanted to buy the Toyota van, and I am kicking myself for not listening to her. The 2012 Kia Sedona is a gigantic pile of **. The mirrors worked for the first 2 years then they go up, down or just down work. The driver side sliding door doesn't unlock, unless you do it manually. Sometimes it even refuses to open with the remote or automatic button on the roof console. The dealership claims that these are not covered by warranty. Tires had to be replaced at 25k and 50k miles, not the cheap kind.

Just recently a pin fell off after starting the car in the winter and broke a rod and two pistons in the engine that for 4 days the dealership couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. Eventually a smart mechanic did find it, and was able to get it covered under warranty. But now it seems like everything on it is going down hill so quickly after it has been paid off that I just want to drive it off a cliff to put it out of its misery. Totally unhappy with this Kia Sedona.:( Buy a different make and model van. This one is not worth it even if it is a little cheaper than other vehicles with same amenities.

Why am I liable for something that has not been my fault? I am giving this a day to be resolved then I will go to my lawyers which is scorpion and I will not give up. I refuse to pay a service. When I pay for the service if I wanted to pay I was not going to take the service plan. I know I have to pay for the brakes. I will not pay the service so let me explain myself for the 100th time. I took my car for the service as agreed with Kia east rand branch. On the 3rd I had a accident with my car. As per attached you can clearly see I picked it up on the 23rd of Dec knowing I never skip my service as you can see and I'm never late either. I tried phoning Kia Kempton as that's where I always take my car. Disappointingly no one responds. I then phone your kia kempton sales to find out why is no one getting back to find out oh they closed. Fair enough.

I go on your useless website where it clearly states book a service, leave your details, someone will get back to you. And to my surprise guess what? No one did. So sad. This I did in Dec knowing my car needs to go. I desperately try and get hold of someone. No one phones me back. I phone your branch east rand either the 28 or 29 Dec. I get the following words: "Sorry we are full but we can help you the 3rd." Knowingly this is not going to work as it's due now they assure me it's no problem at all. So I believed your people again. I'm doing it as per how I'm suppose to keep in mind as attached my car went in. So I could not do it as I usually do early and if you bothered phoning your customers back this won't happen. So I get a nice phone call today. I need to pay for a service. Now look the lady there well done but for the rest useless.

So I'm giving this one day to be resolved so I can take my car at the cost of you all not me as I pay for the service plan and I was not at fault as you can see. So one day and then I'm taking this further. I will not leave this. I will pay for my brakes. Not the service. My number to get hold of me; **. I expect a call in the next hour. As to how this will be resolved this car is not second hand it's not ten years old and it's sure as ** has never missed a service and kia kempton didn't say nothing at all. So blame your staff not me. I pay you still and what's sad it's 200000 not a 5000 second hand car. This is disgusting to think I wanted to buy another kia when this is the treatment you get when you not at fault between kia and liquid capital? My car will be serviced at your cost. Decide how so I can take it as I'm running the km up by having it again your fault. One hour and I'm sending it to my lawyer.

My 2011 Optima's engine just failed as well in the same fashion that many of the previous posts have stated. Kia is aware that this is a fault in the engine design and finally settled a class action lawsuit in which they have extended the warranty if the engine rod connector is the reason for the failure. That is a good thing but they have told me it will be at least 2 weeks for the repair and they will not provide me with a car while I wait. Considering they knowingly sold me a lemon and can't provide me with a car really pisses me off. Corporate greed is what it is. The class action should have demanded more as Kia still comes out of this without a massive recall and only have to do the bare minimum to rectify the deceit.

I purchased a Kia Optima EX Turbo April 1, 2016, after a five-day test drive from a local dealership. I had gotten a fair deal on the vehicle because I needed another vehicle for a reason of getting rid of a troublesome Chrysler Sebring sedan. The ownership experience with my Optima has been grand with the vehicle itself and with Kia Motors standing behind their products. As a matter of fact, my vehicle is out of warranty, so maybe six months after I purchased my Optima, I heard a clicking sound as perplexed as I was. I thought it may be coming from the front-end of the vehicle. I wasn't sure. A few days later, a dear friend said, "What is that clicking sound." She said amusingly. I told her it just started and I am not accurately sure where it is coming from.

However, about two weeks later, Kia Motors America mailed me a letter stating about their warranty extensions and how I was a qualified candidate for this matter at hand. After reading the letter thoroughly, the clicking noise was to blame for a small, plastic piece at the very end of the steering wheel column and it is called a coupling. I was ecstatic about the letter and how Kia will reimburse (if I had fixed the issue before the warranty extension program). Needless to say, the vehicle was fixed and covered under an extended warranty from Kia. And after nine months of ownership, I can say I just had to replace the battery seven days after I purchased the vehicle and primarily the dealer's fault, as well as mine for not getting the vehicle a certified check (with a five-day test drive), and I had to replace the proximity keys' batteries which were inexpensive and easy to fix.

My experience with this Kia Optima has been sensational with no mechanical problems or electrical problems. It is majestic with great and appealing looks with being noticed as a sporty, sharp car from the majority, who likes it especially with the panoramic moonroofs, LED tail lamps, Snow White Pearl metallic paint and it’s impressive angles. As always, the key to a successful vehicle is to follow the owner manual's steps when it comes to some mechanical components, as well as other key features to make your ownership experience immensely impeccable, fundamentally.

I thought I found my dream car, but ended up having it for just 3 weeks. Two and a half weeks after purchasing, my battery went dead so I had it jumped and my boss checked the oil since the hood was open. He was totally shocked as there was absolutely no oil reading on the stick at all. We went and got a quart of oil and told me to immediately take it to the dealer. The dealer gave me a loaner car for the day so they could make sure there was no damage and said it was fine, topped it off with oil and said there was a loose wire on the battery. Three days later my husband drove the car to the store and called me and said he now knows where the oil is going... It's burning it. He said he saw a stream of smoke as he drove down the road. My first response was, "this can't be... I am so in love with this car"!! (Crazy I know!)

I called the dealership and my husband took it straight there and they said a Kia dealer needs to look at it. Well, long story short and tons of phone calls to the Dealer and Kia Consumer Affairs, there was major sludge in the engine and the engine needed a replacement. According to Carfax, per Kia, there is no indication there was any maintenance to the car which resulted in the sludge. I've never even heard the word sludge in regards to a car until this and now that I've researched it... it's an ongoing problem. Even though the car is still under the 60,000 mile warranty, Kia is not taking any responsibility and claims the dealer should have checked the car thoroughly before selling it to me. Kia also denied the warranty with this same problem on this car in July 2016 so the original owner traded it in for another victim to purchase and deal with this problem, which ultimately was me.

Kia denies the warranty because of no proof of proper maintenance, but yet doesn't protect the next buyer with the sludge problem for this to happen again to an innocent buyer that was in search of a car. They claimed they didn't report things like that to Carfax. I stated, "well maybe the owner did his own oil changes like my husband does and maybe it could be a defective problem." Of course there was no reason for them to listen to my plea or opinion. There was no reason for me to know there was any kind of problem. We checked the car out and everything looked great under the hood that we could see as well as the running of the car for the 3 weeks I had it. I just want to make it clear to the next buyer... Just because you're buying a car with a "warranty" it could have the word "if" behind it, so please be careful.

Check the car fax, obviously it's their "certifiable proof" of the maintenance of the vehicle, (it's not just for wrecks anymore), read any lawsuits that are out there and for the lenders, be careful of what you're financing. If a car fax determines the maintenance of a car and a warranty that is not being honored because of it, you could be holding a title of a car that is not even on the road and end up in your parking lot broken down. Meanwhile, the consumer's credit that they have worked on for years go to shambles. Personally, I believe over greed and deceit. I've been without a car for 10 days now and unsure where all of this is going. Loved my car and so did my clients that I drove around. It's a shame how this was handled. I just hope I protect the next person on what to look at before purchasing what they believe has a warranty and is protected.

I have a Kia Optima hybrid 2012. I always take my car to the dealer for regular service. Well when I was driving lost power from 70 miles to 40 or 30. Well I stop the car, follow the instructions on the warning that indicate "Hybrid System Warning safety stop and do not drive". I towed the car to the dealer. Paid for test 116 dollars. They keep the car for 2 days. They didn't find any problem. 2 weeks later once again "warning Hybrid Battery Low safety stop and shift to P". End of the history. Dealer Can't figure up the problem. Month later I don't hear from the dealer.

I purchased a 2013 Kia Sorento 22 months ago. Driving a few days ago, the vehicle started making a very old noise, then a huge bang. Stop and the car hasn't moved since. No check engine light... no low oil like... no indication that anything was going wrong. I kept all maintenance and upkeep records. I had a log on the oil changes since my dad did them regularly. The engine locked up, Kia wants 6,500 dollars to replace. I purchased the extended warranty, the warranty company will not honor since the oil changes were not performed at a shop.

I'm on a very difficult place being I still owe on car and don't have 6500 dollars laying around to buy another motor... this is a known problem and they are doing nothing to fix it!! I have the warranty and they refuse to cover since my dad did the oil changes. They told me they don't have proof my dad actually physically put the oil in my car so they refuse to approve the repairs!!! This warranty coverage was not cheap either. I don't know what to do, I'm a single mom, no reliable transportation to work now. Don't buy a Kia!!!

It's ridiculous my complaint has been on hold!!! Who owns you??? I had car that almost killed my kids and I ruined my credit to give back because it was seizing up after 1 year lease and burning oil and after reading was obviously a common problem in engine and never forced to recall!!! This site isn't legit!!!

I bought my 2013 Kia Sportage 2 years ago. Last month, a large clatter came from under the hood. We took it to the dealer and they said the motor was blown! 71,000 miles on it, all oil changes and maintenance records were given, and Kia only offered half on the parts leaving me a bill of $5000. I was second owner so the original warranty did not apply. I said I wanted the whole thing covered and they refused. To make it worse, the dealer suggested I let it be repossessed after buying another car from them first! I no longer trusted them so we moved it to a private shop and paid $4700 out of pocket for a refurb engine installed. Kia is horrible. They do not back their product. Buyer beware!

We have a 4 year old Kia serviced regularly with engine failure. We have a FB page to unite us. Search Kia engine failure on FB. We have 2012 Kia Sportage that has now been diagnosed with engine failure by my mechanic and also a local Kia dealership. While it is out of its original factory warranty, we have been told that there is a special warranty extension for our model because of a known engine failure issue. My wife Jennifer contacted a law firm that has been handling a class action lawsuit against Kia regarding this matter, below is portion of an email that she received a week ago.

Kia has also admitted to both myself and my wife, that they did extend the warranty but they continue to tell us that our model is not covered. The two models that they say are covered are the Optima and Sorento as seen below in the email excerpt. Our vehicle has the same identical engine as the other two models that are covered. We need help. We have been given the runaround for a couple weeks and seem to be at the highest level of appeal at Kia, even this "escalation office" has made us wait almost five days for an answer. We created a page to unite people with the same issue. Search Kia engine failure on Facebook.

I purchased a 2011 Kia Optima 3 years ago. Driving home a few days ago, stop at a red light and the car hasn't moved since. No check engine light...no low oil like...no indication that anything was going wrong with the motor. Kia wants 6,000 dollars to replace. I'm on a very difficult place being I still owe on car and don't have 6000 dollars laying around to buy another motor...from my understanding this is a known problem and they are doing nothing to fix it!!! Don't buy a Kia!!!

I was in a car accident in November of this year, I had a 2015 KIA Optima. After being T-Boned on the passenger side of my vehicle, my airbag deployed however it didn't Inflate. As a result I hit my head on the steering wheel and suffered a really bad laceration to my head, as well as other minor injures. I contacted KIA Consumer Affairs in regards to this, at this point I have a case number and no return call. After reading through other reviews I am very upset with KIA at this point. I took my car in for service twice because it was cutting off and the brakes were grinding in the back. I was told each time it was due to the rain and snow and issues happen like that from time to time with the brakes. When I asked about the issue with the car cutting off, I was advised to keep an eye on it and come back as soon as it happens again because nothing showed up on the diagnostic testing that was done.

I had a Kia Sportage and when it finally keeled over it had over 200,000 miles. I really liked the Sportage (older model) 1994 I believe. I literally drove that poor car into the ground. I think that if they are still being made with the same principals then I would TOTALLY recommend this make and model to friends, family, and even strangers.

I have owned a 2010 Kia Optima and traded it in for a 2014 Kia Optima. No problems out of either. Very dependable. Great on gas mileage, spacious, and very quiet. Love my Kia. Smooth ride, dependable, very roomy and great gas mileage.

Kia Company Profile