2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Optima Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

My Kia is a sharp looking vehicle and has some exceptional features which include automatic folding side mirrors, full sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel and a glove box that keeps water cool. It rides and handles very smoothly, has power to accelerate when needed and seats 5 comfortably along with charging plugs in the back seats. Trunk is quite roomy as well. I love it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I bought my Kia as a second car. I love it! It handles amazing and the power of the 4-cylinder motor surprises me everyday. It's comfortable though not tricked out in full luxury. I can get 500 miles per tank of gas. It's roomy enough without feeling overly large. I can't say enough about this car!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This has been the best car company to deal with. They truly go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction. When I was informed of a recall for a possible problem with the engine, they did everything to thoroughly check my car and extended the warranty on the engine to "Lifetime"! I've never had issue one with the car and I will be going to Kia for any future purchases.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My Kia Optima has been in the shop for over 5 months now for warranty repairs. Kia has pushed back the arrival of the necessary part 7 times now, and I have to continue hounding them to get a simple update. My patience has run out with them, which is why I'm posting here. I have zero confidence in the company and dealerships (Berwyn Kia-outside Chicago). Neither corporate or the dealership are capable of providing accurate information, and they blame each other for the delays. 100% BS operation. DO NOT BUY A KIA.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I own a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid that has under 100K miles and the engine seized even though I had regular maintenance. Now the car is completely useless as I refuse to pay over $7,000 to have it fixed. Took it to Crown Kia in St. Petersburg FL last year for what turned out to be several electrical problems. It actually started with them requiring me to do a detailed ‘system check’ for almost $300 and they called for me to authorize a fuze to be replaced claiming that would fix the issue. They replaced the fuse and then kept calling me saying there was other problems they found... Several thousand later I had my car back.

Last week the car died on the expressway with the dashboard reading ‘Hybrid System Warning...’ Reluctantly I took it back to Crown Kia and again they said it would be fixed after the required ‘system check’ showed a blown fuse. They called after replacing the fuse and said my engine was seized and I needed a new engine! Very disappointed in Kia, Kia complaints division, and Crown Kia- horrible experience with this car overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I leased a Kia in February 2017. The first day it overheated and the dealer swapped me out immediate. I had to sign a new lease agreement for the replacement. The sales department opened 3 accounts and my payments were sent back to me for the first few months before the correct account was found. The replacement began to stall out at complete stops within the first 3 weeks. Since then over 20 times and the issue has never been found nor replaced.

We were instructed by our dealer to file lemon law and they offered to help as Consumer Affairs was not offering a solution to repair or replace. We signed on with an attorney and they stopped accepting payments again and refused to service the car going forward. They have now taken the car back and after paying $14,000 for the lease we no longer have one to drive through the end of our lease term which is up in 5 months. We even requested a buyback and they denied it due to it being defective and unsafe.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima with 116,000 miles preowned and certified, had it also checked by our personal mechanic who reported the car looked like it was in great shape. It came with a limited warranty of 3 months 3750 miles. My son who is 17 drove the car back and forth to school only for the first few months, no issues with the car. Received a recall notice for a sensor to be upgraded in case of engine failure so took it to the local Kia Dealership and had completed in May. In June/July car started with black smoke pouring out the exhaust, took it into a Kia Dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and reported they could not find anything wrong with it and assured us if the engine went it would be covered under the lifetime warranty as long as it was due to the engine block due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

We started to check the oil concerned regarding the black smoke and noticed it was burning oil. Called Kia and took in for oil consumption test. They found the car is burning a quart of oil approx. every 1000 miles and told us the car needed a short block replacement and rebuilding of the cylinder heads the cost would be approx. $4700.00 and was told it would not be covered under warranty as the complaint does not fall under the PI1803 recall. The dealership gave me Kia consumer relations number, told me the dealership spoke with a kia tech. and it was determined it would not be covered under the lifetime warranty....

A car that is well maintained should not being having engine issues and I have done a lot of research. The problem begins with oil consumption. Most people don't check their oil in between their oil changes because good cars don't burn oil. They still don't know and can't explain where the engine oil is going... I WOULD NEVER BUY A KIA again. Can't afford to get another car and don't know what to do with this nice looking but piece of garbage car. THANKS KIA! There needs to be a class action suit against KIA engine. Shouldn't need to be replaced at 124,000 miles when well maintained!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

*** LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS UP THE WHOLE REVIEW *** I have received several recall letters from Kia. Among the many recalls that were being made one of them was an engine recall numbered NHTSA Recall number:17V224. And even after finding out that my 2013 Kia Optima's engine is one of the engines that has been recalled Kia refuses to take a look at the engine until "it fails". After doing some research I found out that this particular engine failure is dangerous and can cause an accident if the engine fails while the vehicle is being operated. After expressing my concerns about this I was still told "I would have to replicate the issue" or "wait for the engine to fail" before my car could be looked at.

I have contacted two different local KIA dealerships. Grand KIA in Northglenn CO service reps were very unprofessional and literally said "KIA will cover everything just wait for the engine to blow". And Joe from the service department at i25 KIA in Longmont CO told me "to go drive it around town and see if you can get it to smoke." When I made an appointment for a diagnostic on my engine (apparently that's their diagnostic evaluation).

Finally when I get fed up with all the unethical and unprofessional behavior from the Kia staff and contact customer service Jason the rep I was speaking to took my complaint said he was going to call the dealerships to see what he could figure out and NEVER called me back. So when I called again the lady I spoke to said he had the wrong number (he read it back to me correct) and that's why I never received a voicemail. After asking to be connected to his line I was told he was unavailable and that he would get back to me. Never heard back from anyone. I really hope someone from KIA sees this... I will NOT buy a KIA again or recommend anyone else to do so either. KIA has officially lost a customer and will continue to receive bad reviews as well.

My fully serviced 2013 KIA Optima has 91,000 miles on it and the engine is blown due to a recall. And Kia will not help at all. Save yourself the time, money and stress and just get a different company for your vehicle. KIA HAS A TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE ALL AROUND AND THEY UNETHICALLY SELL DANGEROUS VEHICLES AND CALL THEM NEW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I bought my 16 yr old daughter a 2013 Kia Optima. After 3 months & 3,000 miles the engine failed! It started stalling out when you're driving it. Which is not safe for a teenager who barely started driving much less an adult. Then a loud knocking noise! Checked the oil and there was none! Which is weird because we just got an oil change! Then I found about the recall on the engine. Metal pieces can get in the oil and the engine seizes, & there’s a loud knocking noise, and it stalls out! Same exact thing happened to me that the recall said! I called dealership & they can’t get me in until next week! Hopefully they will put a new engine for free. But then I see another recall on all the cars that got the engine replaced because they start on fire! What the hell! How can I trust this car while my 16 yr old daughter is driving it now! If it started on fire I would never forgive myself! Now I’m out thousands of dollars! Only had the car 3 months!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Our 2012 Kia Optima has had recall after recall. The last one was to replace the entire engine which we had done 2/22/18. The warranty on this new engine is only 1 year even though they brag of their new vehicle warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles! We brought our Optima in for service 6/25/18 because it overheated. We were told our brand new engine has a blown head gasket. It has been leaking for some time because there is damage to the cylinder walls. The recommended fix is a NEW ENGINE...no warranty (expired end of Feb)...$6,900!

We only put 13,000 miles on the new long block engine assembled by the manufacturer and installed by their certified dealer and the head gasket FAILED! Even the service techs believe the engine was faulty to begin with but Kia has denied our claim. If they do not make this right, I will never deal with Kia again and I will shout from the Mountaintops what a TERRIBLE company this is!

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Kia Optima Company Information