Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.51/5
Based on 217 reviews that contain star ratings

Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

259 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 1, 2019

This Kia Optima has been our second Kia that we have purchased. The first one being a Kia Soul. We bought the Optima brand new from the dealership. After having it for a few months the a/c failed and wouldn’t work no more. Then the dealer replaced the a/c control unit and a week later it failed again so they had to replace the wiring harness so that left me with no car for about 2 weeks. Then around what I want to say was about 39,000 miles the engine light came on and I was told I need spark plugs which in my opinion was way too early but I paid for it anyways.

Then a few days later the engine light turned on again and I took it back to the dealership and they said this time it was the fuel injector so I didn’t have the car for two days since they had to wait for the part to install it. Then they said I should do a severe gdi service which I paid for it because they said it would help a lot and hopefully that would fix everything. Then a week later the car completely died on me at college and got it towed to the dealership and they told me that the engine was completely dead so they told me the would pay for it for them to put a new engine in the car. So at this point I waited for 3 months without my car which I’m making payments on. Once I finally get my car back it was running fine for 2 weeks then the light engine came on back again so I didn’t have my car for 2 weeks then they fixed it. Now it died again and haven’t had a car for a month now again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have a 2016 Optima that I lease. In November coming home from a surgery, my car died suddenly. Finally got it turned over and went to nearest garage. Mechanic said no oil was in the car. Impossible I said. He looked, there were no leaks so I went right to dealership. I was given the runaround that a previous mechanic could have said they changed oil but didn't. The dealership had done the oil change so I told them to look it up. They took the car in for testing, and lo and behold the car is burning the oil.

It's February now and I still dont have my car. The car was approved for a long block (full engine). I called today to check on the status and was told the engine hasn't even shipped and there is a back order on the engine. So this is where I begin to lose my patience... My lease is up at the end of May, early June and I am paying for a car that I dont have, most like wont see again by the time the engine gets to the US and Kia wont let me out of my lease or put me in a new one. Instead, I am paying for a car to sit in lot and driving around a rental that is not comparable to what I have. I have the leather, heated seats, etc... the lucubre package. I have a rental, base model and I have had to fill the windshield fluids,

New wipers and now it needs an oil change. so I am inconvenienced yet again to bring the rental back in for an oil change. I was also told I may be driving this rental till the end of my lease! Does this make any sense? It doesn't to me! I spoke with Kia consumer and I will now be waiting for another 2-3 days to find out what the resolution will be. Well I got one for you... Reimburse me for the past 3 months and put me in a new lease or I walk away from Kia for good and I hire an attorney and I call the local news station! On a side note, the dealership has been helpful and they are trying to help me.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Leased a 2015 Kia Optima in May 2015 with the intent of purchasing vehicle at end of 3 year lease. Took the vehicle to the dealer (Edmark Nampa, Idaho) for regular oil change/maintenance in August 2017. The car was in good working order and was approved by mechanics at dealership. Within a few weeks the car began to stutter and stall during acceleration and blowing white smoke out rear exhaust. Returned to dealership and they indicated there was "sludge" in the oil.

Mechanics at dealership replaced the oil with full synthetic and said that should clear the problem, but if it didn't to return. The engine seized in December 2017. At that time it was burning 4 quarts of oil a week. The dealership requested all maintenance records and decided that since we could not prove we had the oil changed every 6 months, they did not have to honor the warranty. We could provide proof of 2 of 4 scheduled changes but one garage had since closed (no way to trace proof of work) and another was out of town.

Hired an attorney in April 2018 to pursue the validity of Kia standing behind their warranty. Went back and forth a few times with Kia's legal department. They refused to repair the engine due to "lack of proof of regular maintenance" even though we have statements from independent mechanics stating the engine failure has nothing to do with the oil changes (or lack thereof). We are not in the financial position to continue pursuing legal action

Kia has stated in writing that they would repair the engine if a recall was issued (June 2018). Recall was issued in August 2018 for engine long block assembly repairs needed due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage to the 2015 Optima 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI engines. The local dealer continues to deny our claim, stating it is our fault for not changing the oil regularly. Clearly this is not the case as there are literally hundreds complaints from owners with the exact same engine failures (burning oil and engines seizing). There are multiple class action lawsuits in various states due to Kia's refusal to replace/repair the engines with these failures. The flaws are due to defects in the engines that allow contaminates to enter the engine's fuel injection system. The contaminates cause the oil to thicken and the engines to fail.

In an effort to repair the engine so we could continue to drive the vehicle and be able to purchase it at the end of the lease (which we extended for another six months to December 2018), we purchased a second engine block and hired a mechanic to install in August 2018. The replacement engine had the exact same failure within 2 days of driving the vehicle. This is clear evidence that the engines failed not based on maintenance, but because of a defect in the engines. We have tried to relay this to the dealership but they continue to give us excuses and lay blame elsewhere. It's Kia's problem, not theirs, even though they sold us the car.

We have been going around and around this circle for over a year. What we are left with is a car that does not work and a company that refused to uphold their word to replace the engine due to manufacturing defect. The lease ended in December 2018. Kia wants us to purchase the car or return it. We could not afford to put the old engine block back into the car after pulling and returning the second engine block, so currently the engine is separate from the car. Kia Finance said we must return the car if we are not buying it. We towed the car and the engine to Edmark January 24, 2019 but they refused the vehicle since the engine was not in it. They "won't store it and don't have room for it." I spoke with Kia Finance January 31, 2019 and it was suggested we file a complaint with Consumer Affairs. We will be posting this complaint to Kia Complaints along with State and local bureaus in an effort to get the word out about our issue.

A resolution could be reached by Kia honoring their warranty. We would then be willing and able to purchase the vehicle. It was our intent to do so, but will not (and should not be obligated to) buy a car that has a manufacturing defect. We do not believe it is unusual or outrageous to demand Kia uphold their warranty and replace the engine per their own recall. We have lost thousands in time, parts, labor and attorney fees in an effort to make this situation work. As of now, our next steps will be to be vocal about our situation and continue to let Kia Finance, Edmark and Kia Motors know we are very disappointed in their product and lack of integrity.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The Forward collision system is not working. I went to Kia and they told me that my warranty is void due to a installed dash camera and the dash camera was installed by best buy and if the dash cam caused the problem only a fuse should of gone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Updated on 01/18/2019: Hello again, I have had my car for about 9 days now. Still having issues. The car takes forever to kick over (remember the courteous gift of a new starter...compliments of KMA). It does not start right up like it used to. After it decides to kick over, the engine shakes like there is no mounts on it. Also, there is a slight screech. I have come across the lovely smell of gasoline blowing through my cabin after it starts.

In all seriousness, that is major cause for concern due to many of the replacement engine's fuel lines were improperly or damaged during engine installation. In turn, fuel leaks or spews onto the hot parts of the engine which is causing fires. I am at the point where I would be thankful if I suffered a loss due to fire. I have lost all trust and loyalty with Kia and I am afraid to drive it or even leave it in my driveway just in case it goes boom. I'm going to check my oil because it seems a little low to me. Kia is the worst car company, terrible customer service and has terrible vehicle longevity. My radio cuts out, my sunroof does what it wants, and the car will randomly say welcome when I'm not even in it with the doors locked. I'm done with Kia.

Updated on 01/18/2019: Hi, l got a so called “engine replacement.” Car still sounds like trash and l checked the oil and it’s slightly low. l will check it again. It still smells weird when it is broken in and l still smell gas. I'm just waiting for doomsday. When l start it, it sounds weird. That's when it decides to kick over (mind you, l got a new starter as a good faith). My car is rusting out on the passenger side along the fender. It's the Corsa Blue so it’s noticeable. Point, my car sucks and l hate it and l wish l bought a Honda.

Original Review: I have read a few posts and l deeply apologize that you all are experiencing the same issue l did. l bought a 2011 Kia Optima Sx in Corsa Blue with about 14k. Beautiful vehicle so l that. Little did l know l was on the road to massive issues. Around 53k, l noticed the car would not move but 2mph. This was after it was on a trip from Severn Md. l live in Pittsburgh so it’s a 4 hr round trip. Anywho, l would have to pull over, turn it off and turn it back on. This happened several times. l was told by the dealer to wait till the check engine light came on so it did.

Took it in and it was claimed that the turbo needed adjusted. So ok whatever. Then it happened again and the turbo needed tuned again. Mind you, l drive in eco mode 100% of the time. l had noticed a few mornings when l started it, l would hear a teeny knock. l just kept it moving until one day around 60k ish. l was going down a hill and l thought l was rear ended at the stop sign. All my gauges went down. The car had shut off and it took a while to get it started. It was hot that day and my anger only added to it.

The next incident, l was driving up a hill then BOOM! l thought the car exploded. It picks the most inconvenient places to break down l tell you. l literally putted up the hill until l found a safe place to pull over. l got it towed and the dealer said the rings around all my spark plugs shot down into something. Oook, but here’s the kicker, Kia was only going to pay for one spark plug. Are you serious?!! Boy, l came out of my element even more.

About a week or two later, boom again and then l was told it was the fuel injection system and Kia and the goodness of their little greedy hearts decided to pay 80% to replace it. So l'm like yea ok do it. I went a year, but l noticed my car lost a significant amount of power, along with a gas smell. I called Kia Motors and they told me to not park it in a garage and to place it somewhere just in case it ignites. l'm like Whaaa?! l filed a complaint regarding the engine issues but like you all know, it was not logged. 2 weeks before Christmas 2018 with about 68k, me and my kids are riding down Rt 22 to turn right, all the dash lights came on and car died in motion. l slipped it in neutral and started it and took it home. l had taken it to the dealer twice with no success.

Dec 23rd, coming up 22, car shook, check engine light flashes as l am screaming at the car “no, no, don’t do this now with my babies in the car!” The car rode slower than an electric scooter. Looking stupid with my flashers and making other motorists mad, we putted to my mom's house praying that It didn’t die completely. l told my kids get out this car now. l shut the car off. l turned it on and l finally met the almighty knocking noise l have heard about.

The experience with Kia Motors was the worst. The first guy was really nice and he reassured me and we chatted about Georgia because that’s where they are and l have family there. (l don’t know why he works there, such a nice guy.) He did forward my info over. Great. A few days go by so l called again to see about getting a rental. l'm just going to say l got off the phone crying. l posted a review about how l felt and the next day an engine replacement and rental were approved. I got the car back a week later. So Kia replaced my starter as a “Good faith and due to customer loyalty and retention,” Pffft. l kinda need a starter to start the engine. Btw guys, on my receipt it says that the starter was included due to the catastrophic engine failure.

Another thing, you do NOT have to show them maintenance records of oil changes. l found that out through my own research. So please do not feel like you need to present them. The codes for mine were engine harness and catastrophic engine failure. That is all you need to get the parts replaced. Another FYI, they are not putting new engines in, just replacing the parts that caused the failure. Also, l did not get anything from KMA stating a warranty on the parts just in case it happens again. All l know is, l am never buying another Kia ever again in life. Good luck everyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I Purchased my Kia Optima brand new in 2014. 72,000 miles on the car my motor blows and is replaced with the motor recall in place for the 2014 Kia Optima. Since then I put 41,000 on the new motor when it started blowing blue smoke from the tail pipes and I was burning 6 Quarts of oil in one week. There was no oil leaks on the ground so the oil was being burned inside the engine. I went to a Kia dealer. Not the one I Purchased a car through since I’ve moved. They said, "Our mechanic says the engine needs to be replaced." Think about that engine # 2 has to be replaced at 41,000 miles. When I said, "Ok let’s replace it," Kia told me they will not cover it with the recall because the recall Parameters have changed.

The cars engine needs to give one of 3 Diagnostic codes, be knocking or blow for us to replace the engine. I said, "So what happens to a engine like mines which needs to be replaced." I was told to drive the car till the engine slows or is knocking "then we will replace it." I left the dealer with a car smoking so bad they could not keep it started in the shop. I said to the service manager, "You do realize if I’m on a highway or even a road and the cars engine blows and I get into accident because the engine blows and can’t safely get my car off the road it can possibly be Kia fault." That Liability is huge. I contacted Kia Consumer affairs to try to get this Resolved. They took my info and with a follow up did not contact the dealer.

When I called my case manager at Consumer affairs I was told by another operator, "Your case manager asked if was the dealer on the phone." She said, "No. It’s the customer." She said, "I’m busy then." I said, "That awesome. You don’t have time to speak with your customers." So now I drive a car with a engine that will blow anytime anywhere. I can’t go on long trips. I can’t Rely on this car to do anything. I was told by a Kia employee, "They know what’s wrong with your car and it’s a Manufacturers defect in the engine." It was stated to me that, "Kia wants to see how Loyal of a customer you are." And was asked, "How many people in your family own Kias. And "Would you recommend Kia to your family and friends." I really don’t know where to go from here. I really like my Kia. It’s a great car minus the engine problems. Any advice?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I bought a 2014 Kia Optima in 2016, and on 10/20/18 my engine light came on, accompanied with rattling, while driving 13 hours to Kansas City from New Orleans with my wife and two daughters for our oldest daughter's Dr. appointment. We pulled in to a local mechanic in the middle of nowhere, Missouri, and he told us we had a knock code and that it sounded like a bearing in the engine was going bad.

We made it to KC, and took it to another mechanic who diagnosed the same knock code and told us the same thing. He felt like the engine was going out and it could happen any day. Thankfully, the mechanic knew about a lot of engine recalls that were happening with Kia, so he called Olathe Kia for us and asked about our VIN. They told him our engine was a part of a defective batch that Kia made in the Optimas from 2014-2015, and that we might be eligible for an engine replacement.

I called Olathe Kia to confirm and they said they would not work on my car because Kia Corporate was not paying them for labor, costs, and rentals costs accrued by these defective engines. He said the Dealership Manager was basically engaged in a "war" with Kia Corporate to get finances and had decided to not look at ANY vehicles with failing engines due to the defect.

I called Shawnee Mission Kia in a nearby town and they said to bring in the car. However, the service employee after listening to my story, only notated that we were there for recalls, and nothing else. They tried to send me home without doing ANYTHING to the car. After clarifying for a second time what was actually happening with the car, they got the same knock code and were able to hear the rattling in the engine. However, they told us that the vibration or noise was not quite strong enough to qualify for a replacement even though the engine was defective. I was told to drive home to New Orleans and wait for the engine to get worse. Seriously.

After talking with the Dealership Owner, we found out that apparently there are MILLIONS of Optimas with defective engines. I asked that they submit a request directly to Kia on our behalf given the situation and how far away from home we were. Kia approved our vehicle to get a new engine. We were told that Kia was 1-2 months behind on engines due to the sheer volume being replaced. We were put in a rental and we left our vehicle in Kansas on 10/22/18.

On 11/14/18 I was notified by Shawnee Mission Kia that my car was finished. They had replaced the engine. I also paid for them to replace my brake pads while it was there. They wanted to know when I could come get the car. I requested that they send it to New Orleans as I was not inclined to take vacation time or burn a weekend driving 26 hours. They told me that they could not approved of that and that Kia Consumer Affairs would not listen to them if they asked them. They recommended that I reach out to Kia Consumer Affairs directly to get this done.

I spoke with Steve ** at Kia Consumer Affairs on 11/14/18. He told me that given my circumstances, they would try to ship the car to me on a tow truck to a Premier Kia in Kenner, LA. He said it would take a few days to get the paperwork through and that I would have a confirmation by Friday, 11/16/18. On 11/21/18, I called Kia Consumer Affairs to inquire about the vehicle and to find out why I hadn’t been contacted. Steve said that he was going to have to escalate the ticket to the national level. He said he would call me by 11/26/18 to let me know the status.

On 12/5/18 I called Kia Consumer Affairs after not hearing back from Steve. He was out of the office on until vacation until 12/18/18. He had not filed for my car to be towed to Louisiana. I spoke to ** (yes, her first and last name are both **). She was very nice, and after hearing my HOUR LONG STORY told me she would take over my claim and get me my car. She told me to expect a call from her by Friday, 12/7/18 with confirmation that the vehicle was scheduled to be towed.

On 12/10/18 I received a phone call from Shawnee Mission Kia stating that my vehicle had been removed from their lot by a tow truck. He was not sure of the delivery date, but the Service Manager told me that he overheard the driver say he would be in Kenner by Thursday, 12/13/18. Still no word from ** at Kia Consumer Affairs. I decided to call Premier Kia on 12/17/18 after hearing nothing to find that they had my car already. I went to pick it up, and the car was listed under the wrong name. I picked up the car and drove it home. I called Shawnee Mission Kia to inquire about the name on the car and they said they sold a Kia Forte to someone under that name in July of 2018 but they had no idea how that name got on my shipping receipt.

While driving my vehicle on 12/19/18, my engine light came on and a rattling sound was heard in the engine. I immediately called Shawnee Mission Kia to ask if they actually fixed the engine. I was told that they did. They told me they thought it might be a loose exhaust clamp. Seriously. On 12/20/18 I got an automatic phone call from Shawnee Mission Kia telling me my vehicle was ready for local pickup. On 12/26/18 I called ** with Kia Consumer Affairs and left a voicemail. No response. I had also left 2 emails with her. No response. On 1/2/19, I took my vehicle to a local mechanic (because at this point I have ZERO CONFIDENCE in Kia) and they confirmed I do have a new engine block only. There were no loose clamps that they could find and nothing they could diagnose other than the SAME EXACT KNOCK CODE as from before.

On 1/8/19 I decided to call Kia Consumer Affairs again, and after not getting through to **, I called Steve again. I knew he was back from vacation. He told me to bring the car to a Kia dealer. I told him I was going to bring it to Barker Kia in Houma, LA, so he called them and told them I was going to bring my car to them on 1/10/19. He told me that he would send them authorization for a rental vehicle so I could have transportation while the car was being looked at. He apologized for the lack of communication, saying “we have too many people with issues and not enough people working them.” He also said that my story isn’t really any different from many others in an attempt I guess to “de-escalate” my concern over how this entire thing was being handled. Super classy.

On 1/10/19 I arrived at Barker Kia in Houma, LA. The service manager had talked with Steve on the phone, but had not received any authorization for a rental. After waiting an hour, he was able to get me into a dealer loaner for a day. He was unable to get in touch with Steve. They inspected the vehicle and got the same knock code as before. They were able to hear the rattling as well. They informed me that apparently there were two steps of the engine recall that were not done in Kansas. One of them was a software update that basically shuts the car down in to “limp mode” when certain thresholds are met that identify an engine issue. This causes the car to reduce to 2,000 RPMs for the safety of the engine and driver.

They updated this software and the car IMMEDIATELY went in to limp mode. The Service Manager said that a percentage of the replaced defective engines were also failing and that Kia was trying to figure out a solution. He said he wasn’t sure on the timetable but that I could potentially be waiting for several months. However, he needed me to come back tomorrow on 1/11/19 to get a legit rental for long term use. He said he would get approval from Steve and be ready for me. On 1/11/19 I received a call from Barker Kia stating they have been unable to reach Steve by phone or by email to approve the rental. They requested I keep the dealer loaner until they can get that done. (To Be Continued…)

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought a fully loaded Kia Optima in 2011. At first all was well then the turbo had some problems and I had to take in into the dealer to get it to run over 25 mph. Next I passed a guy and just after I got in front of him the car died. Engine failure. Had to show all my oil changes (I keep good maintenance records so no problem). They replaced as it was still under warranty. Next, shocks needed to be replaced (not under warranty anymore). Last summer A/C broke down (my expense again).

The car only has 135K on it. It's also had 4 recalls that I know of and they are still coming. 12/31 I was in running errands and it wouldn't start. Lights, radio, everything on except the engine. Finally got it to start by reading a bunch of posts online from lots of consumers who have had the same problem. Jiggle the shifter, hold the start button down for 20 seconds... This is a known problem with no solutions. Shouldn't it be illegal to sell a car that has a known problem with no solution? I wouldn't recommend this car to someone I didn't like. No one deserves this crap.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My 2017 KIA Optima broke down on 10/7/2018 and the car was towed to Fuccillo KIA. They requested a copy of my last 3 oil changes because they stated that there was gunk in the engine. I submitted the receipts as requested and a claim was filed with KIA's Consumer Affairs department. The claim was denied on 10/17/2018 because insufficient maintenance. I called KIA consumer affairs to ask why it was considered insufficient maintenance. The Rep could not or would not tell me why. I went to the dealership and no one would help me. Kept referring me to the claims department. They agreed to submit an Appeal so the District manager would review my claim but that was denied within 24 hours stating three oil changes were not enough. I only submitted the last three receipts as they requested. In total, I had six receipts.

I did the runaround again and after stating I would need everything in writing (claim denial, warranty info, estimate of damages) from KIA and they stated they would not give me anything in writing. I advised them I needed it to get legal representation and then they stated that they would escalate my claim on 10/22/2018 and I should hear from my claim specialist in three business days. They also requested the additional three receipts, which I submitted to them within 24 hours. I called the escalation department weekly to try to get a status on my claim and there was always a reason why it has not been resolved.

On 12/11 Tammy ** called me to tell me that they will not honor the warranty. They would be willing to pay half the cost to fix the car. Total cost $7,814.89 and I would have to pay $3,907.45 plus all the taxes. I did ask what exactly is wrong with the car and she stated she could not release the details of my case because it is private information. In addition, they wanted me to sign an offer letter and a release agreement.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Hello. I have a 2014 Kia Optima which I love but in June 2018 it stopped while I was driving on the freeway. After getting it towed to the dealership I found out the engine was blown and that it was part of a recall. OK. I'm devastated at this point but at least I don't have to pay for the engine - it's covered. So here's where it goes downhill. First they couldn't give me a date or even an estimate as to when the engine would be replaced. I asked the dealer on numerous occasions did they have a loaner vehicle program or do they cover a rental since it was a huge recall. I was told, "No." every time. So I was paying out of pocket cost for rental cars, Uber and Lyft everywhere and still paying the car not for 2 months.

Until finally Kia consumer affairs calls to check on how I like my repaired vehicle. I informed them I didn't have it back yet and I was paying for my own rental. They told me I was not supposed to be and they got me a rental the next day. And then mysteriously my car was repaired 2 days later after waiting 2 months. I was told I would be reimbursed in 4 to 6 weeks. It is now December 4th 2018 and I have yet to receive a dime from Kia. 3 months of waiting and different people giving me the runaround. Their customer service for this sucks and I would never recommend anyone to them just based off of this experience.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I would never ever buy a Kia again. It’s a cheap crap car that has all kinds of problems from engine failure to steering issues to braking problems. It’s sad. Kia Optima is the worst Model. I had a problem with the steering coupler and they fixed everyone's car but not mine due to the month the car was made. That is ridiculous. You all have been told. NEVER BUY THIS CAR.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have a 2015 KIA Optima. I purchased it brand new off of the lot a KIA of Des Moines. My vehicle has just under 50K miles and I just noticed today that there are many tiny rust spots all over the vehicle. My warranty is expired that covers the paint of course and I have multiple years left of my loan until it's paid off. I’m furious because I don’t think a car with under 50K miles should have that many rust spots. By the time it’s paid off, it won’t be worth much. This is the 1st brand new vehicle that I have ever purchased and I have learned that these vehicles are not worth the money. I will definitely be shopping elsewhere as the quality is low with these vehicles!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Ok Just brought our new used certified CPO Kia Optima 2017 LX 2.4 l 4 cyl car at Hertz in Smithtown, NY. It had 44,352 miles on it on 8/2/2018. Now has 44,461 miles. I saw a few puffs of brown smoke and noticed a few times it sort of lost power while driving. Then came a check engine light already after driving it 2 months only 1100 miles. It's not due for oil change yet and just passed inspection. It’s a P200A code at Bank 1. Thanks Mavis for the free code reading. I called both Hertz dealership and Kia Corp office, both refusing to give me the service records for the car!!! It has 65 service records but I can't view them on the vehicle history or Carfax.

It was not in any accidents and was certified, yet when I called repeatedly for the second key for 2 months almost and then this check engine light to see if it's warranted intake manifold problem is the code can be a number of issues, they kept saying it's as is!!! Hertz. Then Kia kept saying get the records and info from the dealer! The dealer kept saying, "We're not responsible" and won't give any records!!! Then after a week of yet another runaround, I got the manager at Hertz to say he'd pay for the inspection but only if they called him first to discuss. It’s an engine problem so it better be covered the inspection but they wouldn't of course say they would for sure. The worst part is that this looks to me like with 65 service records in the first year!!!

This is a 2017 Kia Optima, no accidents. Why would it have 65 service records!!! Not of course told to me or shown on the Carfax when we brought the car!!! And now suspiciously, I'm not allowed to even view these records??? They are online at the Kia dealerships according to the manager at Hertz on Smithtown. However, that's fraudulent to cover up records! I should be able to view them and I suspect they fraudulently covered this up when selling me the car that it had prior problems undisclosed at tone of purchase!!! Now I suspect If a car already has 65 service records at 44,641 miles one year old and now has a bad code indicating intake manifold problem which is the engine Bank 1 cylinder one, it means to me it's a ??? lemon!!! And it's going to have more more more engine lights on! Not what I bargained for nor what I paid a lot for!!!

I paid for a new used certified car that was inspected and had on its sticker a 120 point inspection and had no accidents!!! The Carfax given to me by the Hertz car sales in Smithtown said "clean" record. The service records were missing but I assumed since there were none it was standard. Not. I now have to fight to find out why Hertz and Kia are refusing to give me service records when they are a requirement of the warranty and my warranty will be up at 60000 miles at which time I'll be stuck with the bills. Constant check engine lights expensive repairs etc.

So what Kia and Hertz think they are getting away with is a cover-up for a malfunctioning shoddy car, the Kia Optima 2017 which I see other people have also had similar engine problems as well as electrical malfunctions. And the reviews which I looked up I great detail before I brought this. The reviews were all good!!! Except some diff models and older. So there's nothing you can rely on and truth is covered up and Kia And Hertz car sales or rent to own, do not back up their cars at call. I used to only buy new for this reason but the new cars have more than doubled and I also can't see spending $ such outrageous amounts like $30k on a new car that'll probably only last to 160k miles in less.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

2015 Kia Optima motor replacement cost. Started the vehicle Aug 6 2018 and it was jumping and jerking then engine light. Had it towed to dealership and they state engine replacement is required at $6500 repair bill. Vehicle was serviced by them. Oil changed no issues and vehicle was running no issues.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love Kia Optima! It is a very smooth ride, has comfortable seats, and the air conditioner is super cold. My favorite feature is the backup camera, as it gives me confidence and helps my neck not get sore from looking back as far. The headlights and taillights are really cool. They aren't the boring square or round ones; they are more like a big checkmark. I chose this particular car over the black one I test drove, because the color was blue - and I am a NY Yankee fan! I wish I'd thought more about getting power seats. Sometimes it's difficult to move my seat after a long day. Also, I wish the factory tint on the windows was darker.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I love my Kia Optima. I got all the features plus some for a great price - smooth ride, fairly quiet on road noise, sleek looking. Zero maintenance issues. Heated and ventilated seats, keyless entry and start, keyless trunk entry, remote start, heated steering wheel, Bluetooth connection and USB port that actually charges the phone, backup camera, panoramic sunroof. However, the passenger seat only goes back and forth and the back tilts, but doesn't raise up. It's low and a bit hard to get in and out of, especially if you are short or older.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Kia Optima GDI! It is a smooth ride. Nice pickup speed and comfy seats too. I always get compliments on my car. I love that there are vents for backseat. It has a TON OF SPACE in trunk and everyone who is tall can fit in passenger seat and in backseat. Remembering my seat position would be nice though. Also having a spare tire, not just the kit. I was in 2 car wrecks within 9 months of each other. I have issues with spine, neck and lower back. Finding a comfortable seat was important. But comfort overall made me choose my car.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The Optima has many wonderful features, and I love the heated steering wheel and seats for frosty winter mornings here in Oregon. The leather seats are easy to clean and suitable for my dog. The body is sleek and hides dirt well. I like the audio system and the Bluetooth connection capabilities. I also like the heated steering wheel and seats and the leather interior. I like the size of the car, as I can fit it into small spaces in my college's parking areas. I also like the navigation system. It has been great! Steering wheel could be a tad bigger, the back seats could have cooling as well as heating, the trunk design could be better. The trunk has to house the arms of the trunk lid, which takes up space that could be used for storing things.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I recently upgraded my 15-year-old vehicle for a 2014 Kia Optima at a local AutoMax. The purchase was stress-free thankfully. If I had done my homework and read these reviews beforehand I would have NEVER purchased the vehicle. I am beyond worried now that I may have purchased a vehicle that will give me nothing but undeserved grief and MAJOR stress. I most definitely did not hear the grinding of the brakes when I did the test drive two weeks ago before making the purchase. There is indeed a safety issue with the locks/fob not being linked. The front passenger seat is so low that I can see that as a safety issue as well with regards to the seat belt and airbag... I did not detect that either prior to purchase. I am definitely afraid after reading these reviews to have the vehicle out at night out of fear of engine failure (that is most definitely a stressor).

If only I had taken the time to read the reviews prior to making the purchase... If only, sigh. I was so anxious for an upgrade/reliable transportation to and from doctors’ appointments and family visits I failed to do my homework. With my kind of luck I am expecting to pay the price for failing to do so, and at my age it will be more than I can handle at this point and time in my life, my plate is already full due to a serious medical issue... I most definitely do not need car issues when I thought I was eliminating that stressor with an upgrade... life!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Kia Optima drives nice. The car is loaded with features including a moonroof, which I love. The design is sleek and it looks amazing too. This model had a turbo engine and I like fast cars and it gets good gas mileage. But there isn't a lot of identifying makes on the car besides the good and trunk plate. There is also a lot of tech in the car that I'm not used to. The amount of stuff that is computerized is astonishing but it's just more stuff that can break. Some of the extras that the car did not come with should be standard like the mud flaps and sports visors. But overall, great purchase.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My 2011 Kia Optima is a pretty good car. I've had it for years now and it still runs brand new. I like the push start option and the spacious trunk. As well as the eco mode and the ability to use Bluetooth to play music from my phone. I attended school at Valencia in Orlando, Florida and I used to have to travel quite a lot back and forth from Orlando to my home in South Florida. Gas life is pretty good for 3 hour trip. I really enjoy how comfy the seats are. I'm a petite woman and it fits me just right. It's not too big or overwhelming it's a very snug car. Though gas life could be a bit better. I seem to run out of gas fairly quickly. Recently, I have an issue where my trunk does not lock, meaning anyone could press the button under it and open it. I'm not sure if it's just broken but it's always done that.

Original review: July 6, 2018

America is screwing the consumer again- The 2015 Kia Optima is not only a rolling tin can, you cannot drive with the back windows down at all. Crack the back windows and the inside pressure immediately starts effecting your ears. With the rear windows completely down, the pressure feels like you are in an airplane without oxygen, the noise is so loud you cannot hear the passenger next to you, it sounds like a helicopter. The aerodynamics of this car were obviously NOT tested. The driver seat has 2 adjustments when you pump up the squirrels is raises the seat 2 inches, the passenger seat has NONE. The placement of the mirrors create an enormous blind spot, in direct view of curb and turning site.

Informed from a previous employee of Kia, that the Optima has a defective motor which will have to be replaced, by the dealer. Corporations in America screw Americans continuously and we have no recourse. This is what this country has come too, the Great American Way! Consumers would be better off with horse and buggy.

Original review: July 1, 2018

This company is complete and utter trash. I am the second owner of a Kia Optima hybrid 2011 and after 65k miles the engine stopped working. I’ve had the car for a year and had 2 oil changes. Kia told me there was no oil in it when I had receipt less than 2 months and showed them. Regardless they didn’t like my attitude because he chose not to help me at service dealership and told me 7k plus to fix. 65k miles and I took care of it with all proper service records because of 5 thousand miles out of warranty!!! They're not humans. They're demons in polo shirts. Go to hell Korea!

Original review: May 31, 2018

The 2008 Kia Optima is a great car for a family on a budget. It was a great buy even when it was a previous rental and 10 years it still runs great. I was told to stay away from Kia but it’s been a valuable car for us. I hope to buy a Sorento in the future.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Kia Optima's EX edition looks just like the BMW. All the sleek at half the price. A very good looking car. Pay for the leather and sunroof upgrade. Very dependable.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Kia Optima 2011 drives very well with more than sufficient power. Styling remains fresh and in some ways superior to later models. More horsepower, dual exhaust, and electronic front seat.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought a used 2009 Kia Optima in April of 2014 and in that time have spend over $5,000. I have filed a complaint with the Kia Consumer Assistance Center, but since I did not have any repairs done at a Kia dealer, they won't do anything. I have to take it to a Kia dealer for them to assess it (so spend more $$ and have to get a rental). In going through the receipts, I had the rear brake calipers replaced twice in 3 years (I understand that that shouldn't have to be done). Most recently, it's been an check engine light issue and sensor issues. In order to pass inspection, I spent over $1200, most diagnosing the check engine light--which still hasn't been resolved. They thought it was the timing change, then the valve covers. Somehow they got it so I could pass inspection.

At one point they said I might have to replace the ECM. Then, during test driving (and the same problem occurred briefly a few months prior), the gas pedal stopped working on a highway. And then it happened to me after spending $1200. So the check engine light code (after it had been setting off numerous codes), it was the gas pedal, so my mechanic replaced the gas pedal, which didn't work. The light continued to go on and the gas pedal wouldn't work for a short amount of time and it would kick back into gear soon after. So I took it to a different mechanic and they ended up thinking it was a gear shifting issue and re-set the transmission. And they called the local Kia dealer to ask questions. So that lasted about a week and a half. I can drive the car under 50 and be OK. It's happened twice to me while going over 50 and the second time I had to keep pulling over.

The lemon law indicates to be a lemon it has to be unsafe to drive, which it is, and that the problem has to interfere with the normal function of the car. So I opened a case at Kia. The first person, Octavia, claimed she tried to call me but there is no indication on my cell phone. So the second person has since denied me saying I have to go the dealer to get assessed, even though I provided receipts with all the work done--in order to assess the problem--well, what about the calipers??? The second person had said she would call me Monday afternoon. I had to leave 2 messages yesterday and had to call again today. One person said it's gone to the supervisors and then I heard that I had to take it to a Kia dealer. So I have to pay for the Kia dealer on top of a rental car??? They are useless.

Most of the problems are documented online in a lot of various forms. I will continue to contact them and tag them until they resolve this. I am lucky that I will be purchasing a HONDA for a very good price and then I will call the Kia dealer--which I avoided in the first place knowing that dealerships aren't always helpful and fair. Again, I have spent over $5,000 in 4 years on this car. Oh, the person I spoke with even said under her breath--that is a lot of money!!! It has just gone over 100,000 in the past couple of months.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I would highly recommend all of you not get Kia. I got a Kia Optima 2016 and my ac went out and they blamed it at road debris and wanted me 800 something to fix the ac confessor. I just think that’s not how you take care your customer Kia. You guys stated 7 years or 100000 miles warranty but I think that’s just saying that to make customer happy but you guys don’t take care the warranty.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I'm on my third Kia and very satisfied. My first was a Sportage which I really did not like but it was my first SUV and had a narrow wheelbase. Traded up to a 2004 Sorento and kept it for nearly 12 years with no problems ever. Getting ready for retirement, I purchased a 2015 Sorento because of the reliability of the last one. It seems to be the bad reviews here seem mostly to be service provider issues - just my opinion of course and the motor failures are outrageous. Hope I never encounter those kinds of issues! My daughter has an 04 Optima with probably close to at 200K miles on it and it still runs like a trooper!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I purchased a 2013 Kia Optima in October 2017 with 38000 miles. As the weather got colder I tried to warm the car and locked the door as it warmed but to my surprise the door did not lock while the car is running. I looked online how to lock the door while it was running and found out you have to use the key manually to lock the door. Upon reopening the door, I used the key fob to unlock the door and it did not work. I used the button on the door and that did not work come to my surprise I had to use the key. I called Kia Consumers 800-333-4542 on 2/14/18 for help with the issue because to me it’s a safety issue not being able to get in your car in an emergency and they made me an appt with Premier Kia of Branford of Ct 2/15/18. At my appt I was told "these cars only lock by Remote Start and that the car does not recognize the key". So in other words the key is not programmed with the key fob and door latch.

I called KC back and the rep reached out to PKB and was told "in order for me to use my key, key fob and door latch at the same time once again I must buy a REMOTE STARTER" and the rep said "I was confusing the brain of the car." meaning the operating system or computer when I try to use the key, key fob and the door latch at the same time. I said no "whoever made this car should have linked the key, key fob and door latch together" instead of trying to make people spend more money on something they can’t get the full value back once the car is sold. This is a serious issue which needs a major recall. Nobody have time to fumble with a key if they are in trouble. Safety is not an importance to Kia.

Kia Optima Company Information