3.8/5 (258 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Optima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: June 23, 2022

I have owned 3 Kia vehicles and we were in the process of giving my 2015 Kia Optima to my soon to be 16 year old daughter. Unfortunately, the engine that was always well maintained and always received regular maintenance, blew at only 100,159 miles. Kia refused to stand by the 100K powertrain warranty because they said it was 159 miles over the 100K. Furthermore, there was some recall letter I never received that they claim would have covered me over the 100K. Absolutely awful experience that they wouldn't cover a long-time customer due to being over by 159 miles. I will NEVER EVER do business with Kia again. The dealer even pulled my Carfax and agreed it was well maintained that thought it was ridiculous that they refused to cover the repair.

If you want a reliable vehicle with longevity, DO NOT PURCHASE A KIA product. Look to Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy etc. and do business with a company that builds a quality vehicle and stands by the quality of their product. My claim number was ** with the Kia Consumer Affairs Dept. and they refused to do anything but claim they're sorry and understand my frustration, but refuse to cover any of the cost of their poorly built product they sold me.

Original review: March 15, 2022

After just recently becoming aware of a recall on my 2016 Kia Optima in December of 2021 (KIA never notified me), I scheduled to have the KSDS Update performed on my Kia at Safford KIA of Fredericksburg on December 17, 2021. I received a follow-up call from Justin ** (mechanic) in the service department on December 18, 2021, stating that my check engine light was illuminated upon successfully completing the KSDS Update and upon a system reset. After running a diagnostic scan, it was shown to throw a cylinder misfire code. Fast forward, Mr. ** called and explained he thought the misfire was due to damaged piston rings but was not wholly sure. He stated I would need to replace the engine and gave me a quote of roughly $6,000.00.

I asked if this would be covered under the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty," which covers the short block assembly consisting of the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons per the new Settlement Agreement? He stated that the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" only covered damages due to bearing wear. I then asked Mr. ** to provide me with evidence (pictures, videos, bearing clearance test results, etc.) that showed no wear or damage to the bearings or the bearing rod. If, in fact, there was wear or damage to the bearings or bearing rod, in return could have caused a skewing of the piston in the cylinder, resulting in piston ring breakage. Therefore, covered under warranty.

I have not received the requested evidence, or any documentation stating the repairs were denied and for what reason, so I can further escalate my concerns of the denied claim to the appropriate department/personnel. I have left numerous messages for the Director of Services with no response. The engine replacement should very well fall under the “Extended Lifetime Powertrain Warranty”. The engine is junk!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Hello, I have A 2015 Kia Optima. My daughter was driving this car 2 weeks ago and it cut off on her in the middle of very busy rush hour traffic. Thankfully she was not hit, to the surprise of the 3 police officers that showed up to push the car out of the highway. She could have been injured or worse, killed. I have learned that Kia has a recall on this vehicle but I will not be covered because I did not have some sort of sensor put in. I have not received a notice. I asked for them to give me dates and addresses of this notice being sent. Consumer Affairs at Kia cannot tell me this information. I have Called twice and each time the customer service has been incredibly horrible. Brenda and Roxanne are completely rude and argumentative. Each giving me a different answer. They both refused to give me a number or transfer me to higher up or supervisor.

The dealership, Parsons Kia in Winchester VA tells me that they cannot help me. They are sympathetic and tell me they see this quite often. How am I supposed to fix something I did not know was broken? Kia produced a motor that is defective and I am being punished. There is no justice in that. I am asking that someone look into this. I am asking that Kia do the right thing and fix the vehicles that fall under this recall regardless of notices.

I am a cancer patient and have moved 3 times since the purchase of this car. Yet I am being told by Kia that it’s “your fault you were not notified because we sent out the notice and that is not our fault”. I ask you this: how am supposed to get to my appointments and treatments without my car? I am disabled and do not have $7K on hand to pay for a new motor. I do not have the means to purchase another vehicle. I am stuck with a “lemon”. Kia produced a motor that has seized by no fault of mine and I am being asked to “deal with it”. I think not.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I purchased a 2015 Kia Optima. With NO warning, it died while I was driving it. The engine locked up. Kia Motors said this car has known engine problems, and there is a campaign, not a recall, for this engine. I was never notified about said "campaign" so I didn't know I was supposed to have a system upgrade to prevent this! This car only has 57,000 miles and had no other issues prior to it dying, and now I am responsible for replacing the engine!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Criminals! Whoever passed the engineering for the engines should be sued, fired and/or facing jail time for neglect and knowingly selling these vehicles to families putting us at risk daily. My engine died on highway. I am lucky to have survived and no help with towing expense, 44 day car rental, nothing! And they have never called me back ever from 3 months ago. They give everyone the runaround. Buyer BewAre!!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Kia does not stand behind the product if you do your own Is preventative maintenance. At approximately 99000 miles we noticed spot knocking so we took it into the dealership. We were told that there is a software update for the Knox sensor. Which was performed and ever since it's been consuming oil. A lot of oil. 1-2 quarts within about 500 miles. Now 10000 miles after software update vehicle has vehicle has a hole burnt and valve was not offered any goodwill even though the vehicle only has 110000 miles on it and we've bought 3 Kias. We basically was told being that we do our own maintenance and provided documents showing that we did good PM maintenance that Since we don't do it with the dealership no assistance would be provided. Never again. I will never buy a Kia or product again. Don't waste your time. $3000 for the repair.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Don’t buy a KIA ever!!!! I lease a 2019 KIA OPTIMA and was recently in an accident. The car has been sitting in a body shop waiting for a front headlight assembly for 6 weeks now. KIA does not have the part or do they know when the part will become available. This has not stopped KIA from collecting their monthly payment nor taking responsibility for their mistake. Every week they keep moving the estimated delivery date of the part, but when I ask for a tracking number one cannot be provided. How is it possible for a car manufacture not to have parts for a 2 year old car anywhere in the US? How is it possible that KIA won’t give me a loaner since it’s their fault I don’t have my car? I have endure weeks of frustration, and against with no clear answer on when I will have my car back. I don’t know what are my legal options if any at this moment. All I can do at this moment is voice my anger and hopefully help someone avoid the situation I find myself in.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

My boyfriend has a recall on his car and it is a fire hazard so we had to arrange for the car to be towed to the nearest KIA dealership. When I called on a Friday to set all of it up they refused to give him a rental car for more than 3 days without him paying the rest out of pocket for something that is a recall on their cars when they could not even get the vehicle in to be located at for at least 2 weeks. Then I arranged the tow for the following Monday and they stated I would have free tow. Just have them call the customer service number and they would be here between 12-12:30.

They never showed up that day so around 1pm I called and the lady I spoke with told me there was no records showing a tow scheduled for that vehicle that day but she would be happy to help me get something set up, while we were setting up a new tow she tried to tell me it was $94, I told her that I was told to have them call the customer service number and the documented that the fee would be waived, after 10 minutes of being on hold I was told that there was no documentation of that so it would be $94 which I told her I was not paying that when the recall is a mistake on their behalf. She put me on hold for like 20 minutes trying to get that fee waived. When she came back she had no answers for me but she would call me back. I never received a call back so I called again.

The first time I spoke with the Manager named Bonnie and another associate which was supposed to arrange the new tow and she hung up on me, then I called back to see what was going on and she then scheduled it without telling me when. So I asked to speak with that associate and the manager again and I was transferred to roadside assistance even after I stated that I did not want to speak with them. I hung up. Called back a 3rd time and that lady was very rude trying to tell me that they couldn't do anything. I had to talk with roadside assistance, I then told her that I would like to speak with the manager again, she said she was busy and would call me back.

When she called back I explained the whole situation to her and I just feel as if my whole struggle trying to resolve the issue they caused was dismissed, but she offered to reset up the tow for a time that worked out with my scheduled, so we did but couldn't not give me any confirmation that she set it up. Now we will wait and see if they actually show up to tow the vehicle today. All in all I had a very bad experience with this company and nothing but problems with this vehicle so we will be getting rid of it as soon as we get the chance!!

Original review: April 9, 2020

Engine Failure - Knocking Noise. Bought a used 2015 Optima hybrid Ex, from Honda Dealer in Riverside CA., my 16 year old son really wanted this car and had saved since he was 13yrs old. My husband and I match what he saved to help him buy the car of his dreams. Wish I would have done my due diligence with my research to know that Kia has known about this engine issue and continues to not stand behind their 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

After 4 short months and 82,000 miles the engine started making a loud knocking noise while my son was driving home from school (with no warning). Towed the vehicle to our local mechanic who diagnosed complete engine failure, no oil in the car. No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. We have maintenance record from dealer showing full inspection plus oil change had been completed on the car when we bought it at 79, 781 miles. How does the engine suck up that much synthetic oil in 4 month and 2k miles. Now we have a car just sitting at the shop, my poor son doesn't have 6k to replace the engine. Kia needs to take ownership and recall all the models due to their faulty engines! Buyer beware - DON'T BUY A KIA!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Bought a new Optima hybrid, from Kia in Burlington Ma., one of the reasons was a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. After 7 yrs. and 75,000 miles the engine seized up (with no warning). No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. Then they spent three weeks determining the problem that it needs a new engine and won't be covered under warranty.

Kia Optima Company Information