1.53/5
Based on 204 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

246 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

2015 Kia Optima motor replacement cost. Started the vehicle Aug 6 2018 and it was jumping and jerking then engine light. Had it towed to dealership and they state engine replacement is required at $6500 repair bill. Vehicle was serviced by them. Oil changed no issues and vehicle was running no issues.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love Kia Optima! It is a very smooth ride, has comfortable seats, and the air conditioner is super cold. My favorite feature is the backup camera, as it gives me confidence and helps my neck not get sore from looking back as far. The headlights and taillights are really cool. They aren't the boring square or round ones; they are more like a big checkmark. I chose this particular car over the black one I test drove, because the color was blue - and I am a NY Yankee fan! I wish I'd thought more about getting power seats. Sometimes it's difficult to move my seat after a long day. Also, I wish the factory tint on the windows was darker.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I love my Kia Optima. I got all the features plus some for a great price - smooth ride, fairly quiet on road noise, sleek looking. Zero maintenance issues. Heated and ventilated seats, keyless entry and start, keyless trunk entry, remote start, heated steering wheel, Bluetooth connection and USB port that actually charges the phone, backup camera, panoramic sunroof. However, the passenger seat only goes back and forth and the back tilts, but doesn't raise up. It's low and a bit hard to get in and out of, especially if you are short or older.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Kia Optima GDI! It is a smooth ride. Nice pickup speed and comfy seats too. I always get compliments on my car. I love that there are vents for backseat. It has a TON OF SPACE in trunk and everyone who is tall can fit in passenger seat and in backseat. Remembering my seat position would be nice though. Also having a spare tire, not just the kit. I was in 2 car wrecks within 9 months of each other. I have issues with spine, neck and lower back. Finding a comfortable seat was important. But comfort overall made me choose my car.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The Optima has many wonderful features, and I love the heated steering wheel and seats for frosty winter mornings here in Oregon. The leather seats are easy to clean and suitable for my dog. The body is sleek and hides dirt well. I like the audio system and the Bluetooth connection capabilities. I also like the heated steering wheel and seats and the leather interior. I like the size of the car, as I can fit it into small spaces in my college's parking areas. I also like the navigation system. It has been great! Steering wheel could be a tad bigger, the back seats could have cooling as well as heating, the trunk design could be better. The trunk has to house the arms of the trunk lid, which takes up space that could be used for storing things.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I recently upgraded my 15-year-old vehicle for a 2014 Kia Optima at a local AutoMax. The purchase was stress-free thankfully. If I had done my homework and read these reviews beforehand I would have NEVER purchased the vehicle. I am beyond worried now that I may have purchased a vehicle that will give me nothing but undeserved grief and MAJOR stress. I most definitely did not hear the grinding of the brakes when I did the test drive two weeks ago before making the purchase. There is indeed a safety issue with the locks/fob not being linked. The front passenger seat is so low that I can see that as a safety issue as well with regards to the seat belt and airbag... I did not detect that either prior to purchase. I am definitely afraid after reading these reviews to have the vehicle out at night out of fear of engine failure (that is most definitely a stressor).

If only I had taken the time to read the reviews prior to making the purchase... If only, sigh. I was so anxious for an upgrade/reliable transportation to and from doctors’ appointments and family visits I failed to do my homework. With my kind of luck I am expecting to pay the price for failing to do so, and at my age it will be more than I can handle at this point and time in my life, my plate is already full due to a serious medical issue... I most definitely do not need car issues when I thought I was eliminating that stressor with an upgrade... life!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Kia Optima drives nice. The car is loaded with features including a moonroof, which I love. The design is sleek and it looks amazing too. This model had a turbo engine and I like fast cars and it gets good gas mileage. But there isn't a lot of identifying makes on the car besides the good and trunk plate. There is also a lot of tech in the car that I'm not used to. The amount of stuff that is computerized is astonishing but it's just more stuff that can break. Some of the extras that the car did not come with should be standard like the mud flaps and sports visors. But overall, great purchase.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My 2011 Kia Optima is a pretty good car. I've had it for years now and it still runs brand new. I like the push start option and the spacious trunk. As well as the eco mode and the ability to use Bluetooth to play music from my phone. I attended school at Valencia in Orlando, Florida and I used to have to travel quite a lot back and forth from Orlando to my home in South Florida. Gas life is pretty good for 3 hour trip. I really enjoy how comfy the seats are. I'm a petite woman and it fits me just right. It's not too big or overwhelming it's a very snug car. Though gas life could be a bit better. I seem to run out of gas fairly quickly. Recently, I have an issue where my trunk does not lock, meaning anyone could press the button under it and open it. I'm not sure if it's just broken but it's always done that.

Original review: July 6, 2018

America is screwing the consumer again- The 2015 Kia Optima is not only a rolling tin can, you cannot drive with the back windows down at all. Crack the back windows and the inside pressure immediately starts effecting your ears. With the rear windows completely down, the pressure feels like you are in an airplane without oxygen, the noise is so loud you cannot hear the passenger next to you, it sounds like a helicopter. The aerodynamics of this car were obviously NOT tested. The driver seat has 2 adjustments when you pump up the squirrels is raises the seat 2 inches, the passenger seat has NONE. The placement of the mirrors create an enormous blind spot, in direct view of curb and turning site.

Informed from a previous employee of Kia, that the Optima has a defective motor which will have to be replaced, by the dealer. Corporations in America screw Americans continuously and we have no recourse. This is what this country has come too, the Great American Way! Consumers would be better off with horse and buggy.

Original review: July 1, 2018

This company is complete and utter trash. I am the second owner of a Kia Optima hybrid 2011 and after 65k miles the engine stopped working. I’ve had the car for a year and had 2 oil changes. Kia told me there was no oil in it when I had receipt less than 2 months and showed them. Regardless they didn’t like my attitude because he chose not to help me at service dealership and told me 7k plus to fix. 65k miles and I took care of it with all proper service records because of 5 thousand miles out of warranty!!! They're not humans. They're demons in polo shirts. Go to hell Korea!

Original review: May 31, 2018

The 2008 Kia Optima is a great car for a family on a budget. It was a great buy even when it was a previous rental and 10 years it still runs great. I was told to stay away from Kia but it’s been a valuable car for us. I hope to buy a Sorento in the future.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Kia Optima's EX edition looks just like the BMW. All the sleek at half the price. A very good looking car. Pay for the leather and sunroof upgrade. Very dependable.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Kia Optima 2011 drives very well with more than sufficient power. Styling remains fresh and in some ways superior to later models. More horsepower, dual exhaust, and electronic front seat.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought a used 2009 Kia Optima in April of 2014 and in that time have spend over $5,000. I have filed a complaint with the Kia Consumer Assistance Center, but since I did not have any repairs done at a Kia dealer, they won't do anything. I have to take it to a Kia dealer for them to assess it (so spend more $$ and have to get a rental). In going through the receipts, I had the rear brake calipers replaced twice in 3 years (I understand that that shouldn't have to be done). Most recently, it's been an check engine light issue and sensor issues. In order to pass inspection, I spent over $1200, most diagnosing the check engine light--which still hasn't been resolved. They thought it was the timing change, then the valve covers. Somehow they got it so I could pass inspection.

At one point they said I might have to replace the ECM. Then, during test driving (and the same problem occurred briefly a few months prior), the gas pedal stopped working on a highway. And then it happened to me after spending $1200. So the check engine light code (after it had been setting off numerous codes), it was the gas pedal, so my mechanic replaced the gas pedal, which didn't work. The light continued to go on and the gas pedal wouldn't work for a short amount of time and it would kick back into gear soon after. So I took it to a different mechanic and they ended up thinking it was a gear shifting issue and re-set the transmission. And they called the local Kia dealer to ask questions. So that lasted about a week and a half. I can drive the car under 50 and be OK. It's happened twice to me while going over 50 and the second time I had to keep pulling over.

The lemon law indicates to be a lemon it has to be unsafe to drive, which it is, and that the problem has to interfere with the normal function of the car. So I opened a case at Kia. The first person, Octavia, claimed she tried to call me but there is no indication on my cell phone. So the second person has since denied me saying I have to go the dealer to get assessed, even though I provided receipts with all the work done--in order to assess the problem--well, what about the calipers??? The second person had said she would call me Monday afternoon. I had to leave 2 messages yesterday and had to call again today. One person said it's gone to the supervisors and then I heard that I had to take it to a Kia dealer. So I have to pay for the Kia dealer on top of a rental car??? They are useless.

Most of the problems are documented online in a lot of various forms. I will continue to contact them and tag them until they resolve this. I am lucky that I will be purchasing a HONDA for a very good price and then I will call the Kia dealer--which I avoided in the first place knowing that dealerships aren't always helpful and fair. Again, I have spent over $5,000 in 4 years on this car. Oh, the person I spoke with even said under her breath--that is a lot of money!!! It has just gone over 100,000 in the past couple of months.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I would highly recommend all of you not get Kia. I got a Kia Optima 2016 and my ac went out and they blamed it at road debris and wanted me 800 something to fix the ac confessor. I just think that’s not how you take care your customer Kia. You guys stated 7 years or 100000 miles warranty but I think that’s just saying that to make customer happy but you guys don’t take care the warranty.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I'm on my third Kia and very satisfied. My first was a Sportage which I really did not like but it was my first SUV and had a narrow wheelbase. Traded up to a 2004 Sorento and kept it for nearly 12 years with no problems ever. Getting ready for retirement, I purchased a 2015 Sorento because of the reliability of the last one. It seems to be the bad reviews here seem mostly to be service provider issues - just my opinion of course and the motor failures are outrageous. Hope I never encounter those kinds of issues! My daughter has an 04 Optima with probably close to at 200K miles on it and it still runs like a trooper!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I purchased a 2013 Kia Optima in October 2017 with 38000 miles. As the weather got colder I tried to warm the car and locked the door as it warmed but to my surprise the door did not lock while the car is running. I looked online how to lock the door while it was running and found out you have to use the key manually to lock the door. Upon reopening the door, I used the key fob to unlock the door and it did not work. I used the button on the door and that did not work come to my surprise I had to use the key. I called Kia Consumers 800-333-4542 on 2/14/18 for help with the issue because to me it’s a safety issue not being able to get in your car in an emergency and they made me an appt with Premier Kia of Branford of Ct 2/15/18. At my appt I was told "these cars only lock by Remote Start and that the car does not recognize the key". So in other words the key is not programmed with the key fob and door latch.

I called KC back and the rep reached out to PKB and was told "in order for me to use my key, key fob and door latch at the same time once again I must buy a REMOTE STARTER" and the rep said "I was confusing the brain of the car." meaning the operating system or computer when I try to use the key, key fob and the door latch at the same time. I said no "whoever made this car should have linked the key, key fob and door latch together" instead of trying to make people spend more money on something they can’t get the full value back once the car is sold. This is a serious issue which needs a major recall. Nobody have time to fumble with a key if they are in trouble. Safety is not an importance to Kia.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Sharing my story. I was involved in an accident with my 2012 Kia Optima as the engine seized at 65 mph on a highway. No time to pull over or get into a safe place, my car was smashed into 30 seconds after I was able to get out leaving my car totaled. KIA refuses to do anything however they have been well aware of this issue for families driving these cars who are unaware they are driving a death trap. I am not sure how this has not had any news coverage, there are several websites covering this as well as pending class action lawsuits, I have given KIA several chances to rectify this matter and Jeff ** and Alex ** in the Irvine corporate office have been no help. All they do is lie and find any reason not to hold accountability.

If anyone here is interested in joining the pending class action lawsuit please email me. I understand the damage in the pictures doesn't look severe however that was luck, what if this had been a semi truck that smashed into me? I am lucky I am alive. KIA would not even care if I died. They are the worst crooks and joke of an automaker.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am very frustrate due to purchase my Kia Optima in Nov 2015, since that time had to replace engine in the car twice. Several different recalls on the car. Waiting on an approval to get my engine replace stuck without transportation. Was inform can not provided me with a loaner car until the approval from corporate has been made. Kia of Union City had my car since Friday. Had no car over the weekend. Went to Kia first thing Monday morning. Still waiting. Had to call out of work due to no transportation. Call corporate to find out my information was never submit to get an approval. Now 2:46 pm still haven't received an update. I am a single mother of 5. Unable to afford a rental car on my own at this time. What am I to do, I will never purchase another Kia again. I will go on every website to voice my frustration, already contact my local news station for some assistance with this issue.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

The car is a 2016 Kia Sportage- It started with all the warning lights coming on while sitting in a driveway after starting, which was in April 2017. I turned the car off and then back on and the lights went back to normal. The next time the car acted the same way I was driving on the interstate at 70 mph and had all the warning lights and the speedometer went down to zero for about 30 seconds and then went back to normal, this was sometime around June 2017. Both of these times I did not think to call the dealership because it was not something that was consistently happening and I was not able to get pictures or videos of it. The next time that something happened was on Oct 2nd while I was driving (I have video proof of this time). I called and made an appointment on the next day, as the service department was closed at the time the car had the issue.

At this time the dealership said there was a switch that they were going to replace and that this was what could be causing the issue. I received the car back on Oct 9th. On Oct 10th while driving back on the interstate the car's lights and radio dimmed and the speedometer and rpm instruments were fluctuating for about 30-45 seconds. I immediately called the dealership where they made the appointment to check the car for the next day. I took the car in and they said that the tech had not cleared the codes from when they replaced the switch from the previous week. So after replacing the tires during this time I received the car back on Oct 12th.

On Oct 17th after starting the car and sitting in the car for about 1 minute, the car started to lock and unlock the doors (the car will usually lock the doors after it is put into drive only unless you press the lock/unlock button). When I heard the locks engaging, I looked at the instrument panel and noticed that my tpms light was flashing, about 10 seconds later all the lights went off and the speedometer and rpm instruments started to fluctuate (I also have video proof of this as well since the dealership said I had to get a video again of what it was doing before they could do anything). I immediately called the dealership and had the car towed to them that day. On Oct 26th the dealership called to say that they could not get the car to duplicate the issue and that I would need to contact Kia corporate to try and get a resolution.

A week later our case was moved to an escalation case manager (who I can never seem to get a hold of). It took about 2 weeks for the case manager to finally call at a time I could talk with her in person, not just have messages on voicemail. They keep the car and test drove it for what I would say was about 2.5 to 3 weeks, when I received a phone call stating that the car had actually finally had the issue while the service guy was driving it, however when it was put on the computer no codes showed up, as it had on the previous times that they had put the car on the computer to look for codes on the issue. During this time I had a loaner from the dealership, which I called on Nov 27th to say that loaner was close to needing an oil change.

On Nov 29th I received a call from the dealership stating that the Kia tech line had looked at the issue and found that items that were under the passenger seat were what was causing the issue and that the service tech had taken the items out from under the seat (which not everything was out from under the seat when I took possession of the car today and I might add against my opinion on taking the car back) and that Kia tech line stated that there was no safety issue with the car should the issue reoccur because for the week that they had test drove it after cleaning from under the seat the issue had not occurred again. The dealership stated that I would need to take the car back and drive it until the field tech could schedule an appointment for sometime in January 2018.

If the issue occurred again I was informed to call the dealership immediately and they would document it and report it to the field tech when he was at the dealership in January. Now I'm am trying to research what my options are, although MO seems to have one of the worst lemon laws for car owners. This will be the last Kia that we buy (and we have had two previous models- a Sedona and Optima)!!! We thought buying it brand new that we would not have any issues but this has been nothing but a headache. Hopefully our car will not seize up while we have to drive it!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

April 2012 I bought my son Kia Optima hybrid based on advertisement 100k or 10 years warranty. TV’s and sales dealer to move cars they says bumper to bumper but after you’re in the car started having problem with the car. The dealer has to wait for the factory to authorize the repairs. Then the stereo head unit stopped working. The dealer surprised me the head unit is not covered under warranty. It’s only covered 3 years. Took it in again for sway bar problem and it was not covered. The only covered under 100k engine and trainy. What a rip off! Don’t buy Kia unless it’s in writing for the dealer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We got a Kia Optima in 2015 (lease for $650 a month). Ridiculous right? Me and my husband have good credit and good income. We decided to get the turbo one. This car has been giving us problems like you cannot imagine. Problems with the starter, with the engine and every time we take it they charge us for the same thing when they never fixed it the first time. I’m sick and tired of their service where they don’t help us. Never have I had this problem before. I went there once (to Kia in Cerritos) to see if I would take out another car and omg the guy that was helping us was so rude, totally unprofessional. He even tapped my head and I told him not to touch me. We will never buy a Kia again. As we speak we are taking it again for the same problem.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I purchased a 2012 KIA Optima Hybrid in May 2016. I have all the records of service and oil changes. To make a long story short I was driving to work 10/18/2017 and heard a knocking noise. The car allowed me to get to work and home. The next morning I had the car towed to A mechanical shop who informed me that the engine was gone.

I then had the car towed to Kia dealership where they informed me that there was a recall ion engines, but my car was not included because it is a HYBRID. (I was livid.) I was then told that since my car had 100,000 miles on it it was no longer in warranty and they wouldn't cover it. I was then told that they could open a claim but I would have to pay 124.99 to have them diagnose the engine failure before they could send claim. (Mind you I had just paid to have a diagnostic at a professional mechanic shop).

Hesitant I paid to have them diagnose the problem of engine failure. They sent claim off, asked me to get all of my records, which I did. I was called 2 hours later to say that they will not cover. And I am responsible for 5,700 for a new engine. I firmly believe that Kia should stand behind their product and replace the engine. There are far too many engine related complaints that are not being addressed. I have opened another case and waiting on them to return my call at this point.

Updated on 11/15/2017: This is an update to a previous complaint. Well after waiting almost 2 month getting nothing but a runaround I was told that repairs would not be made to my engine on the 2012 Optima. My case was sent to escalation which is a total joke and the sarcasm is unbelievable. They are not empathetic and basically sound like they are reading from a standard script. It is ridiculous that Kia does not stand behind their products when there is an obvious issue with engines including hybrid. At this point I will file with the BBB and also seek legal counsel.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We own a 2011 Kia Sportage. We purchased this vehicle new and have taken great care of it. We have done all routine maintenance and the car looks almost new. We recently heard a knocking or ticking sound coming from the engine, took it into our Kia dealership where we were told the engine would need to be replaced. When I researched this issue, I found the exact same engine issue that resulted in a recall of quite a few models. Unfortunately our vehicle was not included in the recall we were told, and the dealer could not do anything about it.

I called Kia and opened a case, and 10 days later (even though we were told we would get a callback in 2-3 days) we were just told that Kia will not honor their warranty since we are slightly over in miles. A 6-year-old vehicle that has been maintained should NOT have a total engine failure! We also own a 2015 Kia Optima and we will be selling both vehicles now and not recommending Kia to anyone. The fact that Kia does not stand behind their vehicles speaks volumes. No more Kias for us. Very frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We bought 2012 Optima used May 2016. Late October 2016 received recall for engine. December 6, 2016 while driving from FL to SC engine began knocking; pulled off Interstate and turned off engine, checked oil and was in normal range. Started back up and engine seized. Towed to local mechanic for diagnostics; was advised engine blown. Mechanic checked for recall and found engine should be replaced by KIA as part of recall. Vehicle was 3 1/2 hours from home. This is first issue: KIA Roadside assistance (Shelby) said the Optima was not covered under warranty. I wanted the car in Greer, SC at my local dealer. I paid $457 to tow to Greer. After nearly 6 months KIA Corp agreed to reimburse.

Once in Greer KIA, was advised engine recall would cover replacement cost; however it told two months to replace. Was also advised the dealer would have to "retro-fit" original long block with short block engine (finally received repaired Optima first week in February, 2017). Fast forward to August 13, 2017. While driving at approximately 60 mph, engine burst into flames. Through God's grace no one was hurt. In conversation with KIA Consumer Assistance in CA, was directed to Corp Claims. I was contacted by Alex who advised he was handling claim. Alex had a KIA Inspector visit Greer from CA to determine cause of fire. After 4 weeks, Alex said the cause of fire was inconclusive--that is (in my opinion) because the fire was so intense the evidence is destroyed! Originally I told Alex all I want is my 2012 vehicle replaced by KIA and doesn't matter what brand vehicle. His initial offer was a "Goodwill" offer (as he called it) of $4,000.

I refused his offer and reiterated I wanted car replaced and requested a copy of the inspector’s report. Alex said he did not have a written report; I called him a liar and said legally if they inspected my Optima they had to write a report. According to the KIA Greer there was a report written but they were not allow a copy. Alex counter offered a Goodwill offer of $8,000 and wanted possession of the Optima. Again I refused the offer if they were to take the vehicle. Throughout the ordeal, Alex continued to suggest I have my insurance pay. After advisement, I relented and filed with insurance as we had to have a replacement. We have had to pay off Optima and find a way to buy a replacement vehicle. Is there any recourse? Anyone able to help?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kia Optima Ex with 17,000 miles like new and have taken excellent care of my car. My husband washed it last week with a water hose and a big chunk of paint peeled off the hood. It keep coming off. I called the local Kia Dealer Brewbaker Motors and took it to them to see it. Basically they said it's over the 36,000 mile warranty. Nothing we can do. Call Consumer Affairs to see if they will do anything but I doubt it. I had previously called the Consumer Affairs, and had started a claim but had to take it to the dealership to take pic. That was a Big Waste of my Time. I called Consumer Affairs back to let them know I had gone to the dealership and what they said and the case manager ask me what did I want them to do. I said, "Help me get it painted." He said, "Well unfortunately it's out of the 36,000 mile warranty so we can't do anything. I am so sorry." I said, "That is so sad that y'all don't back up the sorry paint job y'all put on the Kia and Hyundai.

I will never recommend nor buy another Kia and let everyone know how they honor their work. It's a shame to own a car only a few years old and the paint is already coming off. He didn't have much to say. I also told him I already read that many more people have complained about this very same problem so People Beware if you Own or are thinking about buying a Kia or a Hyundai after 36,000 miles your Paint is on you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

A few months back I received a recall letter for my 2012 Optima Hybrid regarding the engine recalls open for it... Upon receiving it I went to the dealership in which they stated that my car was not a part of that recall. Approximately two months later the engine had a catastrophic failure, in which the short block in containing units need to be replaced as the bearing failed. As per the Kia service rep stated my car is not a part of that recall and because I am the second owner and the car has 69,000 miles it's no longer covered by warranty. My concern is that this issue has many similarities between my vehicle and the recalled vehicle. The car has up to date maintenance and the records to show.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Couple nights ago my son was driving down the road at approximately 45mph. The engine started making strange noise. Then car started shaking. The check oil light came on. Then the car died. I found out that night my car was under a safety recall due to engine failure. I took it to Horne Kia in Gilbert AZ today. They say yes it's knocking but it's not their fault. It's due to low oil. Engine sludge. And, dirty oil. I just changed the oil less than 3 months ago. Put, Mobil 1 synthetic oil in also. Good for a year. And, I checked the oil that night. It was fine. Found a page on Facebook dedicated to this very problem. Sounds like I got the standard corporate response. DO NOT BUY Kia. They are poorly made cars. And, they DO NOT care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My engine seized while on the road. I had no knowledge of the recall on the engine issued 3 months earlier. When I attempted restart, the starter burned up being overpowered by the seized engine. Since we had no knowledge of the possibility of engine seizure, we assumed something was causing a short in the electrical system. We towed the optima to the closest repair shop, as the closest Kia dealer was over an hour away. The starter was replaced, and promptly burned up, again due to the seized engine.

The shop was having difficulty finding any electrical short, so I researched the VIN and discovered the recall on the faulty engine, and had the car towed to Carlock Kia of Tuscaloosa AL., where a charge of $850 for another starter, (dealer service said it was dangerous to the engine and the battery was also bad, of which none of these things were a problem prior to the engine failure). Out of the over $1000 of out of pocket costs due to the engine failure, Kia of America took responsibility for $275. This is my FIRST AND LAST KIA purchase and I say, buyer beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

MUST READ. KIA AND KIA CONSUMER IS A JOKE!!! I purchased a 2103 Kia Optima with only 29,000 on it in February 2016 and by January 2017 my car engine blew on me while driving through a busy intersection. It was under warranty so I had it towed to Kia service to be fixed. They had my vehicle for 37 days. I got my vehicle back after 37 days and drove it for 13 days before the engine again while driving on the freeway, YES the freeway and by the grace of God no one was on the side of me so I was able to coast over to the side of the freeway. I had it towed once again to Kia service department where they had it for 72 days. Kia had my vehicle 109 days out the new year which was 151 days before getting it back.

I called KIA Consumer to get my car payments reimbursed since I made all them on time and never had my vehicle. Bryan from Kia consumer was happy to get those 4 months reimbursed to me no problem. BUT now I am getting the run around from KIA Consumer on my reimbursement check. I was told it was sent out by USPS 3 weeks ago from California and it still hasn't made it, so I talked to Bryan again and he said he is having it sent out again by FED-EX that was 2 weeks ago and still no check! He has now not returning any emails and won't provide me with a tracking number for FED-EX. I have asked to speak to supervisors and no one will patch me through to one. KIA CONSUMER is a ** joke! They are suppose to help the consumer not feed us BS and give us the runaround.

Kia Optima Company Information