Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.62/5

Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

265 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

Our 2012 Kia Optima has had recall after recall. The last one was to replace the entire engine which we had done 2/22/18. The warranty on this new engine is only 1 year even though they brag of their new vehicle warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles! We brought our Optima in for service 6/25/18 because it overheated. We were told our brand new engine has a blown head gasket. It has been leaking for some time because there is damage to the cylinder walls. The recommended fix is a NEW ENGINE...no warranty (expired end of Feb)...$6,900!

We only put 13,000 miles on the new long block engine assembled by the manufacturer and installed by their certified dealer and the head gasket FAILED! Even the service techs believe the engine was faulty to begin with but Kia has denied our claim. If they do not make this right, I will never deal with Kia again and I will shout from the Mountaintops what a TERRIBLE company this is!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have bought two Kias in the last 6 years. My first Kia was a brand new 2013 Sorrento. The engine seized just after the 100,000 mile warranty was up but thankfully due to a class action suit my engine was replaced. My second Kia is a 2015 Kia Optima. Although 2011-2014 Optima's were included in the aforementioned class action suit the 2015 model was not. My 2015 Optima only has 58,000 and is on its way to needing a new engine. I have taken it in for service several times as the car often chugs/stalls when accelerating and smoke comes out the tailpipe. They never found anything wrong until just a month ago when they changed the catalytic converter under warranty and now that I have taken it back for service on the same chugging/stalling and smoking issue I am told that it needs $1,200 worth of work and is no longer under warranty due to poor maintenance.

Really, only one month later and now my warranty is void due to poor maintenance. This is a tactic that they use with the Kia GDI engine, blaming the owner for poor maintenance whenever there are engine/oil problems that will eventually blow out the motor. I recommend doing research before buying any Kia. They do not stand behind their products until people’s lives are at risk - the CEO's would not even testify when called upon by Congress. Come on people, even tobacco and gun dealers will show up to testify in front of Congress. DO NOT BUY KIA PRODUCTS!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

i previously owned a 2010 Kia Optima and I loved that car. It got totaled in 2018. I purchased a 2011 Kia Optima with 79k. It was overpriced Carguru.com. I have had 2 of the 4 recalls with my car and always after they inspect the car. I have had problems with the vehicle almost every other month it seems. The front right strut was installed incorrectly causing it to pop my tire and ruin the entire tire. My steering wheel has been loose since day 1. I had to have the engine long block replaced due to it locking up while driving with my daughter who was only a few months old at the time. I've had to take it in again for the knock sensor due to the engine recall. Car has had to be towed over 3 times since I've owned it. Wheel bearing on same side of strut issue had to be replaced. (I paid) over 220.00 later.

I have missed work and appointments numerous times throughout the year. Car has lost power while driving almost causing 2 accidents without warning. My daughter was present 1 of those 2 times. Kia has been no help or assistance as well as the dealership. The throttle body sensor just went and they are charging me over 376.00. I've been without a vehicle for 6 days now and was told car won't be done for over a week. I'm upset and they won't do anything for me. Vehicle is unsafe and could catch fire anytime.

Original review: June 1, 2019

2012 KIA Optima Hybrid Engine locked up @ 100,104 miles. Car was meticulously maintained the last 6 years. Full Synthetic Mobil 1 changes every 3,000 miles. The hybrid generator replaced at 80,000 miles. The engine seized up on a 4 lane highway. Thank God my family came out unharmed. KIA wanted service records because we were 104 miles over power train warranty. We came up with the service records. KIA about faced, told us to pound sand because we were over warranty and the Hybrid Engines, despite being the same engine block as other Optimas, were not included in the engine failure recalls. So. Here we are. Left with a $20,000 paperweight unless we pay KIA $4500 to install another faulty engine.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was on the way home from the hospital with my son who has a serious medical condition when my Kia Optima's engine blew. I could hear the rod knock right away and the car slowed down to 40 miles per hour and the check engine light kept blinking. Mind you I had brought the car in for service from Kia two weeks prior and they did the software update to the ECU on the engine which was supposed to help stop the engine from failing.

My car is under warranty and for the work they did I had to pay over $1,200 during the ECU refresh because some other parts and pulleys near the turbo and engine were melted. Now my engine is blown I need to wait over a month to get it repaired since the issue is during the manufacturing process there was excess metal shavings left in brand new Theta 2 engines that Kia and Hyundai both use that caused metal in the engine and blew it. Kia is paying for all the repairs on the engine but what difference does it make if the car is not a safe vehicle.

I will NEVER buy another Kia ever again. This is my second Kia and will be my last. I also have a 2013 Optima 2.4 GDI (Theta 2 engine also) that I had to bring in for multiple recall repairs. These cars are not safe. The Theta 2 engines are prone to being blown and have a higher rate of fires occurring in both the Kia and Hyundai GDI engines and that goes for the 2.4 liter as well as the 2.0 Turbo. There is also a problem if you get your engine replaced that your fuel lines can be damaged hence the fires I spoke of earlier in my review. These cars are NOT safe for you or your family and I will never do business with this company again.

From now on it will only purchase a car from a car company that is trustworthy. They have recalled over 1.2 million Kias for multiple engine issues and if I could go back in time I would most definitely get a Nissan, Toyota or a Honda. I had a Toyota Corolla that ran for 130,000 and I never to the car in for ANY major repairs or major recalls.

Goodbye Kia. Your cars are blowing up like Samsung Galaxy Notes. I will make sure to tell every person I know to stay away from your defective vehicles and if my car has any issues after the engine replacement I am going to seek legal action against the company for safety issues such as these that can put myself or my family in danger. There are already multiple Class action lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for a variety of major issues with the Theta 2 engines (GDI) as well as many other issues. They should not be allowed to sell cars in the United States. Google the Theta 2 engines and your jaw will drop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: April 12, 2019

2106 Kia Optima--lease with 14 months to go on a four month lease. No KIA will not let me out of the lease. I have had Napleton Kia perform all maintenance and oil changes since inception. I took the car in first week of February 2109 or about then for oil change. Kia performed a recall on the engine. Within a week the car began to sputter and February 11th, Monday morning at 7:30 am I took the car back in. Within minutes they had me in a rental which I am still in today, April 12th. They said they thought the engine might fail but did not know. Well it did. They have ordered an engine and harness which both were on back order. The engine is to be shipped for the third time on April 14th. They called last Saturday that they were going to try a new harness this week. No calls from them that the car is ready. I have reported them to Indiana AG, and raised absolute H with their many departments.

One time they told me to call my insurance agent as if that was to solve their problem. I did not care about the mileage, I was going to purchase the car...but never. I just want out of the car. I cannot even trade it in this situation until I have it back. I do not want it back. I went over the Napleton Kia in Carmel, Indiana and picked up my license plant and all items in the vehicle. All I want is out of the car. KIA is forcing the lease down my throat. I have read many various complaints about the engine, KIA and the Optima. I just retired, and I still work three other jobs to make ends meet. I do not want this car back. KIA is without a doubt a miserable company. The good news is I do not own the car.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This Kia Optima has been our second Kia that we have purchased. The first one being a Kia Soul. We bought the Optima brand new from the dealership. After having it for a few months the a/c failed and wouldn’t work no more. Then the dealer replaced the a/c control unit and a week later it failed again so they had to replace the wiring harness so that left me with no car for about 2 weeks. Then around what I want to say was about 39,000 miles the engine light came on and I was told I need spark plugs which in my opinion was way too early but I paid for it anyways.

Then a few days later the engine light turned on again and I took it back to the dealership and they said this time it was the fuel injector so I didn’t have the car for two days since they had to wait for the part to install it. Then they said I should do a severe gdi service which I paid for it because they said it would help a lot and hopefully that would fix everything. Then a week later the car completely died on me at college and got it towed to the dealership and they told me that the engine was completely dead so they told me the would pay for it for them to put a new engine in the car. So at this point I waited for 3 months without my car which I’m making payments on. Once I finally get my car back it was running fine for 2 weeks then the light engine came on back again so I didn’t have my car for 2 weeks then they fixed it. Now it died again and haven’t had a car for a month now again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have a 2016 Optima that I lease. In November coming home from a surgery, my car died suddenly. Finally got it turned over and went to nearest garage. Mechanic said no oil was in the car. Impossible I said. He looked, there were no leaks so I went right to dealership. I was given the runaround that a previous mechanic could have said they changed oil but didn't. The dealership had done the oil change so I told them to look it up. They took the car in for testing, and lo and behold the car is burning the oil.

It's February now and I still dont have my car. The car was approved for a long block (full engine). I called today to check on the status and was told the engine hasn't even shipped and there is a back order on the engine. So this is where I begin to lose my patience... My lease is up at the end of May, early June and I am paying for a car that I dont have, most like wont see again by the time the engine gets to the US and Kia wont let me out of my lease or put me in a new one. Instead, I am paying for a car to sit in lot and driving around a rental that is not comparable to what I have. I have the leather, heated seats, etc... the lucubre package. I have a rental, base model and I have had to fill the windshield fluids,

New wipers and now it needs an oil change. so I am inconvenienced yet again to bring the rental back in for an oil change. I was also told I may be driving this rental till the end of my lease! Does this make any sense? It doesn't to me! I spoke with Kia consumer and I will now be waiting for another 2-3 days to find out what the resolution will be. Well I got one for you... Reimburse me for the past 3 months and put me in a new lease or I walk away from Kia for good and I hire an attorney and I call the local news station! On a side note, the dealership has been helpful and they are trying to help me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Leased a 2015 Kia Optima in May 2015 with the intent of purchasing vehicle at end of 3 year lease. Took the vehicle to the dealer (Edmark Nampa, Idaho) for regular oil change/maintenance in August 2017. The car was in good working order and was approved by mechanics at dealership. Within a few weeks the car began to stutter and stall during acceleration and blowing white smoke out rear exhaust. Returned to dealership and they indicated there was "sludge" in the oil.

Mechanics at dealership replaced the oil with full synthetic and said that should clear the problem, but if it didn't to return. The engine seized in December 2017. At that time it was burning 4 quarts of oil a week. The dealership requested all maintenance records and decided that since we could not prove we had the oil changed every 6 months, they did not have to honor the warranty. We could provide proof of 2 of 4 scheduled changes but one garage had since closed (no way to trace proof of work) and another was out of town.

Hired an attorney in April 2018 to pursue the validity of Kia standing behind their warranty. Went back and forth a few times with Kia's legal department. They refused to repair the engine due to "lack of proof of regular maintenance" even though we have statements from independent mechanics stating the engine failure has nothing to do with the oil changes (or lack thereof). We are not in the financial position to continue pursuing legal action

Kia has stated in writing that they would repair the engine if a recall was issued (June 2018). Recall was issued in August 2018 for engine long block assembly repairs needed due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage to the 2015 Optima 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI engines. The local dealer continues to deny our claim, stating it is our fault for not changing the oil regularly. Clearly this is not the case as there are literally hundreds complaints from owners with the exact same engine failures (burning oil and engines seizing). There are multiple class action lawsuits in various states due to Kia's refusal to replace/repair the engines with these failures. The flaws are due to defects in the engines that allow contaminates to enter the engine's fuel injection system. The contaminates cause the oil to thicken and the engines to fail.

In an effort to repair the engine so we could continue to drive the vehicle and be able to purchase it at the end of the lease (which we extended for another six months to December 2018), we purchased a second engine block and hired a mechanic to install in August 2018. The replacement engine had the exact same failure within 2 days of driving the vehicle. This is clear evidence that the engines failed not based on maintenance, but because of a defect in the engines. We have tried to relay this to the dealership but they continue to give us excuses and lay blame elsewhere. It's Kia's problem, not theirs, even though they sold us the car.

We have been going around and around this circle for over a year. What we are left with is a car that does not work and a company that refused to uphold their word to replace the engine due to manufacturing defect. The lease ended in December 2018. Kia wants us to purchase the car or return it. We could not afford to put the old engine block back into the car after pulling and returning the second engine block, so currently the engine is separate from the car. Kia Finance said we must return the car if we are not buying it. We towed the car and the engine to Edmark January 24, 2019 but they refused the vehicle since the engine was not in it. They "won't store it and don't have room for it." I spoke with Kia Finance January 31, 2019 and it was suggested we file a complaint with Consumer Affairs. We will be posting this complaint to Kia Complaints along with State and local bureaus in an effort to get the word out about our issue.

A resolution could be reached by Kia honoring their warranty. We would then be willing and able to purchase the vehicle. It was our intent to do so, but will not (and should not be obligated to) buy a car that has a manufacturing defect. We do not believe it is unusual or outrageous to demand Kia uphold their warranty and replace the engine per their own recall. We have lost thousands in time, parts, labor and attorney fees in an effort to make this situation work. As of now, our next steps will be to be vocal about our situation and continue to let Kia Finance, Edmark and Kia Motors know we are very disappointed in their product and lack of integrity.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The Forward collision system is not working. I went to Kia and they told me that my warranty is void due to a installed dash camera and the dash camera was installed by best buy and if the dash cam caused the problem only a fuse should of gone.

Kia Optima Company Information