3.61/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Optima Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I own a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid that has under 100K miles and the engine seized even though I had regular maintenance. Now the car is completely useless as I refuse to pay over $7,000 to have it fixed. Took it to Crown Kia in St. Petersburg FL last year for what turned out to be several electrical problems. It actually started with them requiring me to do a detailed ‘system check’ for almost $300 and they called for me to authorize a fuze to be replaced claiming that would fix the issue. They replaced the fuse and then kept calling me saying there was other problems they found... Several thousand later I had my car back.

Last week the car died on the expressway with the dashboard reading ‘Hybrid System Warning...’ Reluctantly I took it back to Crown Kia and again they said it would be fixed after the required ‘system check’ showed a blown fuse. They called after replacing the fuse and said my engine was seized and I needed a new engine! Very disappointed in Kia, Kia complaints division, and Crown Kia- horrible experience with this car overall.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I leased a Kia in February 2017. The first day it overheated and the dealer swapped me out immediate. I had to sign a new lease agreement for the replacement. The sales department opened 3 accounts and my payments were sent back to me for the first few months before the correct account was found. The replacement began to stall out at complete stops within the first 3 weeks. Since then over 20 times and the issue has never been found nor replaced.

We were instructed by our dealer to file lemon law and they offered to help as Consumer Affairs was not offering a solution to repair or replace. We signed on with an attorney and they stopped accepting payments again and refused to service the car going forward. They have now taken the car back and after paying $14,000 for the lease we no longer have one to drive through the end of our lease term which is up in 5 months. We even requested a buyback and they denied it due to it being defective and unsafe.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima with 116,000 miles preowned and certified, had it also checked by our personal mechanic who reported the car looked like it was in great shape. It came with a limited warranty of 3 months 3750 miles. My son who is 17 drove the car back and forth to school only for the first few months, no issues with the car. Received a recall notice for a sensor to be upgraded in case of engine failure so took it to the local Kia Dealership and had completed in May. In June/July car started with black smoke pouring out the exhaust, took it into a Kia Dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and reported they could not find anything wrong with it and assured us if the engine went it would be covered under the lifetime warranty as long as it was due to the engine block due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

We started to check the oil concerned regarding the black smoke and noticed it was burning oil. Called Kia and took in for oil consumption test. They found the car is burning a quart of oil approx. every 1000 miles and told us the car needed a short block replacement and rebuilding of the cylinder heads the cost would be approx. $4700.00 and was told it would not be covered under warranty as the complaint does not fall under the PI1803 recall. The dealership gave me Kia consumer relations number, told me the dealership spoke with a kia tech. and it was determined it would not be covered under the lifetime warranty....

A car that is well maintained should not being having engine issues and I have done a lot of research. The problem begins with oil consumption. Most people don't check their oil in between their oil changes because good cars don't burn oil. They still don't know and can't explain where the engine oil is going... I WOULD NEVER BUY A KIA again. Can't afford to get another car and don't know what to do with this nice looking but piece of garbage car. THANKS KIA! There needs to be a class action suit against KIA engine. Shouldn't need to be replaced at 124,000 miles when well maintained!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

*** LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS UP THE WHOLE REVIEW *** I have received several recall letters from Kia. Among the many recalls that were being made one of them was an engine recall numbered NHTSA Recall number:17V224. And even after finding out that my 2013 Kia Optima's engine is one of the engines that has been recalled Kia refuses to take a look at the engine until "it fails". After doing some research I found out that this particular engine failure is dangerous and can cause an accident if the engine fails while the vehicle is being operated. After expressing my concerns about this I was still told "I would have to replicate the issue" or "wait for the engine to fail" before my car could be looked at.

I have contacted two different local KIA dealerships. Grand KIA in Northglenn CO service reps were very unprofessional and literally said "KIA will cover everything just wait for the engine to blow". And Joe from the service department at i25 KIA in Longmont CO told me "to go drive it around town and see if you can get it to smoke." When I made an appointment for a diagnostic on my engine (apparently that's their diagnostic evaluation).

Finally when I get fed up with all the unethical and unprofessional behavior from the Kia staff and contact customer service Jason the rep I was speaking to took my complaint said he was going to call the dealerships to see what he could figure out and NEVER called me back. So when I called again the lady I spoke to said he had the wrong number (he read it back to me correct) and that's why I never received a voicemail. After asking to be connected to his line I was told he was unavailable and that he would get back to me. Never heard back from anyone. I really hope someone from KIA sees this... I will NOT buy a KIA again or recommend anyone else to do so either. KIA has officially lost a customer and will continue to receive bad reviews as well.

My fully serviced 2013 KIA Optima has 91,000 miles on it and the engine is blown due to a recall. And Kia will not help at all. Save yourself the time, money and stress and just get a different company for your vehicle. KIA HAS A TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE ALL AROUND AND THEY UNETHICALLY SELL DANGEROUS VEHICLES AND CALL THEM NEW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I bought my 16 yr old daughter a 2013 Kia Optima. After 3 months & 3,000 miles the engine failed! It started stalling out when you're driving it. Which is not safe for a teenager who barely started driving much less an adult. Then a loud knocking noise! Checked the oil and there was none! Which is weird because we just got an oil change! Then I found about the recall on the engine. Metal pieces can get in the oil and the engine seizes, & there’s a loud knocking noise, and it stalls out! Same exact thing happened to me that the recall said! I called dealership & they can’t get me in until next week! Hopefully they will put a new engine for free. But then I see another recall on all the cars that got the engine replaced because they start on fire! What the hell! How can I trust this car while my 16 yr old daughter is driving it now! If it started on fire I would never forgive myself! Now I’m out thousands of dollars! Only had the car 3 months!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: July 3, 2019

Our 2012 Kia Optima has had recall after recall. The last one was to replace the entire engine which we had done 2/22/18. The warranty on this new engine is only 1 year even though they brag of their new vehicle warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles! We brought our Optima in for service 6/25/18 because it overheated. We were told our brand new engine has a blown head gasket. It has been leaking for some time because there is damage to the cylinder walls. The recommended fix is a NEW ENGINE...no warranty (expired end of Feb)...$6,900!

We only put 13,000 miles on the new long block engine assembled by the manufacturer and installed by their certified dealer and the head gasket FAILED! Even the service techs believe the engine was faulty to begin with but Kia has denied our claim. If they do not make this right, I will never deal with Kia again and I will shout from the Mountaintops what a TERRIBLE company this is!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have bought two Kias in the last 6 years. My first Kia was a brand new 2013 Sorrento. The engine seized just after the 100,000 mile warranty was up but thankfully due to a class action suit my engine was replaced. My second Kia is a 2015 Kia Optima. Although 2011-2014 Optima's were included in the aforementioned class action suit the 2015 model was not. My 2015 Optima only has 58,000 and is on its way to needing a new engine. I have taken it in for service several times as the car often chugs/stalls when accelerating and smoke comes out the tailpipe. They never found anything wrong until just a month ago when they changed the catalytic converter under warranty and now that I have taken it back for service on the same chugging/stalling and smoking issue I am told that it needs $1,200 worth of work and is no longer under warranty due to poor maintenance.

Really, only one month later and now my warranty is void due to poor maintenance. This is a tactic that they use with the Kia GDI engine, blaming the owner for poor maintenance whenever there are engine/oil problems that will eventually blow out the motor. I recommend doing research before buying any Kia. They do not stand behind their products until people’s lives are at risk - the CEO's would not even testify when called upon by Congress. Come on people, even tobacco and gun dealers will show up to testify in front of Congress. DO NOT BUY KIA PRODUCTS!

Original review: June 13, 2019

i previously owned a 2010 Kia Optima and I loved that car. It got totaled in 2018. I purchased a 2011 Kia Optima with 79k. It was overpriced Carguru.com. I have had 2 of the 4 recalls with my car and always after they inspect the car. I have had problems with the vehicle almost every other month it seems. The front right strut was installed incorrectly causing it to pop my tire and ruin the entire tire. My steering wheel has been loose since day 1. I had to have the engine long block replaced due to it locking up while driving with my daughter who was only a few months old at the time. I've had to take it in again for the knock sensor due to the engine recall. Car has had to be towed over 3 times since I've owned it. Wheel bearing on same side of strut issue had to be replaced. (I paid) over 220.00 later.

I have missed work and appointments numerous times throughout the year. Car has lost power while driving almost causing 2 accidents without warning. My daughter was present 1 of those 2 times. Kia has been no help or assistance as well as the dealership. The throttle body sensor just went and they are charging me over 376.00. I've been without a vehicle for 6 days now and was told car won't be done for over a week. I'm upset and they won't do anything for me. Vehicle is unsafe and could catch fire anytime.

Original review: June 1, 2019

2012 KIA Optima Hybrid Engine locked up @ 100,104 miles. Car was meticulously maintained the last 6 years. Full Synthetic Mobil 1 changes every 3,000 miles. The hybrid generator replaced at 80,000 miles. The engine seized up on a 4 lane highway. Thank God my family came out unharmed. KIA wanted service records because we were 104 miles over power train warranty. We came up with the service records. KIA about faced, told us to pound sand because we were over warranty and the Hybrid Engines, despite being the same engine block as other Optimas, were not included in the engine failure recalls. So. Here we are. Left with a $20,000 paperweight unless we pay KIA $4500 to install another faulty engine.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was on the way home from the hospital with my son who has a serious medical condition when my Kia Optima's engine blew. I could hear the rod knock right away and the car slowed down to 40 miles per hour and the check engine light kept blinking. Mind you I had brought the car in for service from Kia two weeks prior and they did the software update to the ECU on the engine which was supposed to help stop the engine from failing.

My car is under warranty and for the work they did I had to pay over $1,200 during the ECU refresh because some other parts and pulleys near the turbo and engine were melted. Now my engine is blown I need to wait over a month to get it repaired since the issue is during the manufacturing process there was excess metal shavings left in brand new Theta 2 engines that Kia and Hyundai both use that caused metal in the engine and blew it. Kia is paying for all the repairs on the engine but what difference does it make if the car is not a safe vehicle.

I will NEVER buy another Kia ever again. This is my second Kia and will be my last. I also have a 2013 Optima 2.4 GDI (Theta 2 engine also) that I had to bring in for multiple recall repairs. These cars are not safe. The Theta 2 engines are prone to being blown and have a higher rate of fires occurring in both the Kia and Hyundai GDI engines and that goes for the 2.4 liter as well as the 2.0 Turbo. There is also a problem if you get your engine replaced that your fuel lines can be damaged hence the fires I spoke of earlier in my review. These cars are NOT safe for you or your family and I will never do business with this company again.

From now on it will only purchase a car from a car company that is trustworthy. They have recalled over 1.2 million Kias for multiple engine issues and if I could go back in time I would most definitely get a Nissan, Toyota or a Honda. I had a Toyota Corolla that ran for 130,000 and I never to the car in for ANY major repairs or major recalls.

Goodbye Kia. Your cars are blowing up like Samsung Galaxy Notes. I will make sure to tell every person I know to stay away from your defective vehicles and if my car has any issues after the engine replacement I am going to seek legal action against the company for safety issues such as these that can put myself or my family in danger. There are already multiple Class action lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for a variety of major issues with the Theta 2 engines (GDI) as well as many other issues. They should not be allowed to sell cars in the United States. Google the Theta 2 engines and your jaw will drop.

Kia Optima Company Information