2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Kia Optima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

My Kia is a sharp looking vehicle and has some exceptional features which include automatic folding side mirrors, full sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel and a glove box that keeps water cool. It rides and handles very smoothly, has power to accelerate when needed and seats 5 comfortably along with charging plugs in the back seats. Trunk is quite roomy as well. I love it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I bought my Kia as a second car. I love it! It handles amazing and the power of the 4-cylinder motor surprises me everyday. It's comfortable though not tricked out in full luxury. I can get 500 miles per tank of gas. It's roomy enough without feeling overly large. I can't say enough about this car!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This has been the best car company to deal with. They truly go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction. When I was informed of a recall for a possible problem with the engine, they did everything to thoroughly check my car and extended the warranty on the engine to "Lifetime"! I've never had issue one with the car and I will be going to Kia for any future purchases.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Engine Failure - Knocking Noise. Bought a used 2015 Optima hybrid Ex, from Honda Dealer in Riverside CA., my 16 year old son really wanted this car and had saved since he was 13yrs old. My husband and I match what he saved to help him buy the car of his dreams. Wish I would have done my due diligence with my research to know that Kia has known about this engine issue and continues to not stand behind their 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

After 4 short months and 82,000 miles the engine started making a loud knocking noise while my son was driving home from school (with no warning). Towed the vehicle to our local mechanic who diagnosed complete engine failure, no oil in the car. No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. We have maintenance record from dealer showing full inspection plus oil change had been completed on the car when we bought it at 79, 781 miles. How does the engine suck up that much synthetic oil in 4 month and 2k miles. Now we have a car just sitting at the shop, my poor son doesn't have 6k to replace the engine. Kia needs to take ownership and recall all the models due to their faulty engines! Buyer beware - DON'T BUY A KIA!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Bought a new Optima hybrid, from Kia in Burlington Ma., one of the reasons was a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. After 7 yrs. and 75,000 miles the engine seized up (with no warning). No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. Then they spent three weeks determining the problem that it needs a new engine and won't be covered under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My Kia Optima has been in the shop for over 5 months now for warranty repairs. Kia has pushed back the arrival of the necessary part 7 times now, and I have to continue hounding them to get a simple update. My patience has run out with them, which is why I'm posting here. I have zero confidence in the company and dealerships (Berwyn Kia-outside Chicago). Neither corporate or the dealership are capable of providing accurate information, and they blame each other for the delays. 100% BS operation. DO NOT BUY A KIA.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I own a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid that has under 100K miles and the engine seized even though I had regular maintenance. Now the car is completely useless as I refuse to pay over $7,000 to have it fixed. Took it to Crown Kia in St. Petersburg FL last year for what turned out to be several electrical problems. It actually started with them requiring me to do a detailed ‘system check’ for almost $300 and they called for me to authorize a fuze to be replaced claiming that would fix the issue. They replaced the fuse and then kept calling me saying there was other problems they found... Several thousand later I had my car back.

Last week the car died on the expressway with the dashboard reading ‘Hybrid System Warning...’ Reluctantly I took it back to Crown Kia and again they said it would be fixed after the required ‘system check’ showed a blown fuse. They called after replacing the fuse and said my engine was seized and I needed a new engine! Very disappointed in Kia, Kia complaints division, and Crown Kia- horrible experience with this car overall.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I leased a Kia in February 2017. The first day it overheated and the dealer swapped me out immediate. I had to sign a new lease agreement for the replacement. The sales department opened 3 accounts and my payments were sent back to me for the first few months before the correct account was found. The replacement began to stall out at complete stops within the first 3 weeks. Since then over 20 times and the issue has never been found nor replaced.

We were instructed by our dealer to file lemon law and they offered to help as Consumer Affairs was not offering a solution to repair or replace. We signed on with an attorney and they stopped accepting payments again and refused to service the car going forward. They have now taken the car back and after paying $14,000 for the lease we no longer have one to drive through the end of our lease term which is up in 5 months. We even requested a buyback and they denied it due to it being defective and unsafe.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima with 116,000 miles preowned and certified, had it also checked by our personal mechanic who reported the car looked like it was in great shape. It came with a limited warranty of 3 months 3750 miles. My son who is 17 drove the car back and forth to school only for the first few months, no issues with the car. Received a recall notice for a sensor to be upgraded in case of engine failure so took it to the local Kia Dealership and had completed in May. In June/July car started with black smoke pouring out the exhaust, took it into a Kia Dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and reported they could not find anything wrong with it and assured us if the engine went it would be covered under the lifetime warranty as long as it was due to the engine block due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

We started to check the oil concerned regarding the black smoke and noticed it was burning oil. Called Kia and took in for oil consumption test. They found the car is burning a quart of oil approx. every 1000 miles and told us the car needed a short block replacement and rebuilding of the cylinder heads the cost would be approx. $4700.00 and was told it would not be covered under warranty as the complaint does not fall under the PI1803 recall. The dealership gave me Kia consumer relations number, told me the dealership spoke with a kia tech. and it was determined it would not be covered under the lifetime warranty....

A car that is well maintained should not being having engine issues and I have done a lot of research. The problem begins with oil consumption. Most people don't check their oil in between their oil changes because good cars don't burn oil. They still don't know and can't explain where the engine oil is going... I WOULD NEVER BUY A KIA again. Can't afford to get another car and don't know what to do with this nice looking but piece of garbage car. THANKS KIA! There needs to be a class action suit against KIA engine. Shouldn't need to be replaced at 124,000 miles when well maintained!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

*** LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS UP THE WHOLE REVIEW *** I have received several recall letters from Kia. Among the many recalls that were being made one of them was an engine recall numbered NHTSA Recall number:17V224. And even after finding out that my 2013 Kia Optima's engine is one of the engines that has been recalled Kia refuses to take a look at the engine until "it fails". After doing some research I found out that this particular engine failure is dangerous and can cause an accident if the engine fails while the vehicle is being operated. After expressing my concerns about this I was still told "I would have to replicate the issue" or "wait for the engine to fail" before my car could be looked at.

I have contacted two different local KIA dealerships. Grand KIA in Northglenn CO service reps were very unprofessional and literally said "KIA will cover everything just wait for the engine to blow". And Joe from the service department at i25 KIA in Longmont CO told me "to go drive it around town and see if you can get it to smoke." When I made an appointment for a diagnostic on my engine (apparently that's their diagnostic evaluation).

Finally when I get fed up with all the unethical and unprofessional behavior from the Kia staff and contact customer service Jason the rep I was speaking to took my complaint said he was going to call the dealerships to see what he could figure out and NEVER called me back. So when I called again the lady I spoke to said he had the wrong number (he read it back to me correct) and that's why I never received a voicemail. After asking to be connected to his line I was told he was unavailable and that he would get back to me. Never heard back from anyone. I really hope someone from KIA sees this... I will NOT buy a KIA again or recommend anyone else to do so either. KIA has officially lost a customer and will continue to receive bad reviews as well.

My fully serviced 2013 KIA Optima has 91,000 miles on it and the engine is blown due to a recall. And Kia will not help at all. Save yourself the time, money and stress and just get a different company for your vehicle. KIA HAS A TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE ALL AROUND AND THEY UNETHICALLY SELL DANGEROUS VEHICLES AND CALL THEM NEW.

Kia Optima Company Information