3.5/5 (1396 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

About Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Optima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

If I could give a zero I would. I purchased a certified vehicle Kia Optima from them and it has been a money pit ever since. They alleged that everything was good with the car. Knowing this make and model had issues with the engine. I went through two oil consumption test. They identified the engine was bad. Refused to replace it unless the engine blows out. In under a 1000 miles oil has to be put in the engine and you can see it blowing out the tailpipe. The oil is not only blowing out the tailpipe it is blowing over the engine causing additional damage to the following: The Cadillac converter, it's miss firing and unable to go above 40 miles per hour.

I replaced two O2 sensors. Two coils and spark plugs. Due to the misfires. I have to be inconvenienced for two weeks because it can't be looked at until then. The service department representative feels I'm not allowed to be upset. Despite the run-around I have experienced regarding these issues. This is my only transportation to work. Never missed a car payment and get my regular scheduled maintenance. I feel betrayed and disrespected by customer service when trying to get these matters resolved. Work hard every day as a single mom. I wonder would they treat a man like this? Strongly discouraged a purchase of a used vehicle from this organization.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I smelled gas in the cabin of the car, drove car to nearest shop, had the fuel line replaced, said I could have caught fire!!! Called consumer affairs was told had a recall on fuel line with no resolution! So had to pay 381.27 to fix fuel line so I would NOT blow up when driving the car! Weeks later I get a resolution to fox the fuel line at Kia, made appointment and they had to put on another fuel line to replace the fuel line I paid for two weeks earlier. and I can’t get an answer as to reimbursement of the money I had to pay out!!!!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

CAUTION!! CAUTION!! CAUTION!! We leased a new Kia Optima in 2015 and at the end of the lease, purchased the vehicle. This is our daughter's car, it looks brand new, never had a problem mechanically... until we did. In Feb '22 we had to have the car towed to Kia after the car was making an odd noise. We didn't know what it was so didn't want to drive it and towed it to the nearest Kia. They immediately tell us the car needs a new engine. They had pulled a carfax on the car and didn't see all maintenance records so denied our warranty and told us the cost was between $8,000 - $10,000.00 to replace the engine. We told them we have the oil changed and just need to locate them. I was told the car should have 11 oil changes for the mileage on the car.

After locating all paperwork, mileage records, I emailed them to the address provided to me. Waited several weeks to get an email saying I sent it to the wrong place. Round and round we go. We are now on the 7th month messing with Kia and asking them to stand by their warranty. We are UNDER the mileage and UNDER the year. Powertrain warranty is still in effect. We sent paperwork to the dealership we had the car towed to, the ones that said we need the engine and the ones that denied us due to incomplete maintenance records... Waited several weeks only to be told I need TWENTY FOUR oil change records. My owner's book says oil change every 5,000- 7,500, online says every 7,500 and that's how we did it and with our mileage... every 7,500 miles calculates out to what I was originally told which was ELEVEN oil change receipts.

I was also told there was a recall on the car. A KSDS sensor which is a direct issue with the problem we had with the car. It's a "knocking sensor," mind you, Kia performed the recall on my car that was TOWED to their lot with a no good engine???? The dealership collects money by performing the recall so they got their money for sure. When I asked them about it they told me the recall has to be fixed in order for Kia to honor the warranty which is obviously just a comment to pacify me because they have made NO attempt to honor even a phone call back or respond to an email much less the warranty on my car.

We have NEVER missed a payment. The payment has always been directed withdrawn, even under the lease and Kia did the oil change.. They NEVER did it at 3,750 which is what they are telling me is the required mileage! A simple google search for a 2015 Kia Optima says different. We are done forever with Kia. We have been 7 months with out her car, making the payment, paying the insurance, renting another car so she can get to school and work... WE ARE DONE!!!!

They have no advice other than we have to have 24 receipts. If not, call consumer affairs! To be clear... crystal clear, KIA CONSUMER AFFAIRS IS THE MOST RUDE, HATEFUL, UNCARING, UNHAPPY PEOPLE I'VE EVERRR DEALT WITH. To the point I told the dealership If my only option is to deal with consumer affairs, I will hire an attorney. I WILL NOT deal with someone that is disrespectful to a customer that spent thousands of dollars with them. DO. NOT. TRUST. KIA - They are "known" for their warranties and standing by them, that's why we went with them... My oh my have things apparently changed.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I went with friend to pay her car note. After having neck surgery, it was suggested I give up the stick shift life so I had to stop driving my sports BMW. I had no intentions of buying a Kia. Just went with friend to pay her car note. Also I'm above Kia's. I drive bmw and Mercedes. While waiting for my friend., a salesman got hold of me to test drive an Optima. Long story short, I decided to buy and keep temporarily until I got better and looked for a new automatic bmw. That was 8 years ago. I love my Kia optima. It has never stopped on me and has never been in shop other than for service and recalls. Wish I could afford the stinger! I would definitely buy!

Original review: July 11, 2022

I have a 2013 Kia Optima and had a recall issue with my car! I've done everything to keep my car in great shape and keep up with routine maintenance! Now that my car had a recall issue taking it to Kia was not the best idea! Kia has had my car for over a month and haven't done anything, not even communicating! Trying to get someone on the phone has been a hassle to even find out what's going on! I have been told recently that there has been a claim put in place for my vehicle to possibly be cover under warranty! But Kia has not made this a pleasant experience and has completely dropped the ball! I hope they are capable of redeeming themselves and and gaining the trust of their customers!

Original review: June 23, 2022

I have owned 3 Kia vehicles and we were in the process of giving my 2015 Kia Optima to my soon to be 16 year old daughter. Unfortunately, the engine that was always well maintained and always received regular maintenance, blew at only 100,159 miles. Kia refused to stand by the 100K powertrain warranty because they said it was 159 miles over the 100K. Furthermore, there was some recall letter I never received that they claim would have covered me over the 100K. Absolutely awful experience that they wouldn't cover a long-time customer due to being over by 159 miles. I will NEVER EVER do business with Kia again. The dealer even pulled my Carfax and agreed it was well maintained that thought it was ridiculous that they refused to cover the repair.

If you want a reliable vehicle with longevity, DO NOT PURCHASE A KIA product. Look to Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy etc. and do business with a company that builds a quality vehicle and stands by the quality of their product. My claim number was ** with the Kia Consumer Affairs Dept. and they refused to do anything but claim they're sorry and understand my frustration, but refuse to cover any of the cost of their poorly built product they sold me.

Original review: March 15, 2022

After just recently becoming aware of a recall on my 2016 Kia Optima in December of 2021 (KIA never notified me), I scheduled to have the KSDS Update performed on my Kia at Safford KIA of Fredericksburg on December 17, 2021. I received a follow-up call from Justin ** (mechanic) in the service department on December 18, 2021, stating that my check engine light was illuminated upon successfully completing the KSDS Update and upon a system reset. After running a diagnostic scan, it was shown to throw a cylinder misfire code. Fast forward, Mr. ** called and explained he thought the misfire was due to damaged piston rings but was not wholly sure. He stated I would need to replace the engine and gave me a quote of roughly $6,000.00.

I asked if this would be covered under the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty," which covers the short block assembly consisting of the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons per the new Settlement Agreement? He stated that the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" only covered damages due to bearing wear. I then asked Mr. ** to provide me with evidence (pictures, videos, bearing clearance test results, etc.) that showed no wear or damage to the bearings or the bearing rod. If, in fact, there was wear or damage to the bearings or bearing rod, in return could have caused a skewing of the piston in the cylinder, resulting in piston ring breakage. Therefore, covered under warranty.

I have not received the requested evidence, or any documentation stating the repairs were denied and for what reason, so I can further escalate my concerns of the denied claim to the appropriate department/personnel. I have left numerous messages for the Director of Services with no response. The engine replacement should very well fall under the “Extended Lifetime Powertrain Warranty”. The engine is junk!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Hello, I have A 2015 Kia Optima. My daughter was driving this car 2 weeks ago and it cut off on her in the middle of very busy rush hour traffic. Thankfully she was not hit, to the surprise of the 3 police officers that showed up to push the car out of the highway. She could have been injured or worse, killed. I have learned that Kia has a recall on this vehicle but I will not be covered because I did not have some sort of sensor put in. I have not received a notice. I asked for them to give me dates and addresses of this notice being sent. Consumer Affairs at Kia cannot tell me this information. I have Called twice and each time the customer service has been incredibly horrible. Brenda and Roxanne are completely rude and argumentative. Each giving me a different answer. They both refused to give me a number or transfer me to higher up or supervisor.

The dealership, Parsons Kia in Winchester VA tells me that they cannot help me. They are sympathetic and tell me they see this quite often. How am I supposed to fix something I did not know was broken? Kia produced a motor that is defective and I am being punished. There is no justice in that. I am asking that someone look into this. I am asking that Kia do the right thing and fix the vehicles that fall under this recall regardless of notices.

I am a cancer patient and have moved 3 times since the purchase of this car. Yet I am being told by Kia that it’s “your fault you were not notified because we sent out the notice and that is not our fault”. I ask you this: how am supposed to get to my appointments and treatments without my car? I am disabled and do not have $7K on hand to pay for a new motor. I do not have the means to purchase another vehicle. I am stuck with a “lemon”. Kia produced a motor that has seized by no fault of mine and I am being asked to “deal with it”. I think not.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I purchased a 2015 Kia Optima. With NO warning, it died while I was driving it. The engine locked up. Kia Motors said this car has known engine problems, and there is a campaign, not a recall, for this engine. I was never notified about said "campaign" so I didn't know I was supposed to have a system upgrade to prevent this! This car only has 57,000 miles and had no other issues prior to it dying, and now I am responsible for replacing the engine!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Criminals! Whoever passed the engineering for the engines should be sued, fired and/or facing jail time for neglect and knowingly selling these vehicles to families putting us at risk daily. My engine died on highway. I am lucky to have survived and no help with towing expense, 44 day car rental, nothing! And they have never called me back ever from 3 months ago. They give everyone the runaround. Buyer BewAre!!!!

Kia Optima Company Information