3.63/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Optima

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Optima Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima with 116,000 miles preowned and certified, had it also checked by our personal mechanic who reported the car looked like it was in great shape. It came with a limited warranty of 3 months 3750 miles. My son who is 17 drove the car back and forth to school only for the first few months, no issues with the car. Received a recall notice for a sensor to be upgraded in case of engine failure so took it to the local Kia Dealership and had completed in May. In June/July car started with black smoke pouring out the exhaust, took it into a Kia Dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and reported they could not find anything wrong with it and assured us if the engine went it would be covered under the lifetime warranty as long as it was due to the engine block due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

We started to check the oil concerned regarding the black smoke and noticed it was burning oil. Called Kia and took in for oil consumption test. They found the car is burning a quart of oil approx. every 1000 miles and told us the car needed a short block replacement and rebuilding of the cylinder heads the cost would be approx. $4700.00 and was told it would not be covered under warranty as the complaint does not fall under the PI1803 recall. The dealership gave me Kia consumer relations number, told me the dealership spoke with a kia tech. and it was determined it would not be covered under the lifetime warranty....

A car that is well maintained should not being having engine issues and I have done a lot of research. The problem begins with oil consumption. Most people don't check their oil in between their oil changes because good cars don't burn oil. They still don't know and can't explain where the engine oil is going... I WOULD NEVER BUY A KIA again. Can't afford to get another car and don't know what to do with this nice looking but piece of garbage car. THANKS KIA! There needs to be a class action suit against KIA engine. Shouldn't need to be replaced at 124,000 miles when well maintained!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

*** LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS UP THE WHOLE REVIEW *** I have received several recall letters from Kia. Among the many recalls that were being made one of them was an engine recall numbered NHTSA Recall number:17V224. And even after finding out that my 2013 Kia Optima's engine is one of the engines that has been recalled Kia refuses to take a look at the engine until "it fails". After doing some research I found out that this particular engine failure is dangerous and can cause an accident if the engine fails while the vehicle is being operated. After expressing my concerns about this I was still told "I would have to replicate the issue" or "wait for the engine to fail" before my car could be looked at.

I have contacted two different local KIA dealerships. Grand KIA in Northglenn CO service reps were very unprofessional and literally said "KIA will cover everything just wait for the engine to blow". And Joe from the service department at i25 KIA in Longmont CO told me "to go drive it around town and see if you can get it to smoke." When I made an appointment for a diagnostic on my engine (apparently that's their diagnostic evaluation).

Finally when I get fed up with all the unethical and unprofessional behavior from the Kia staff and contact customer service Jason the rep I was speaking to took my complaint said he was going to call the dealerships to see what he could figure out and NEVER called me back. So when I called again the lady I spoke to said he had the wrong number (he read it back to me correct) and that's why I never received a voicemail. After asking to be connected to his line I was told he was unavailable and that he would get back to me. Never heard back from anyone. I really hope someone from KIA sees this... I will NOT buy a KIA again or recommend anyone else to do so either. KIA has officially lost a customer and will continue to receive bad reviews as well.

My fully serviced 2013 KIA Optima has 91,000 miles on it and the engine is blown due to a recall. And Kia will not help at all. Save yourself the time, money and stress and just get a different company for your vehicle. KIA HAS A TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE ALL AROUND AND THEY UNETHICALLY SELL DANGEROUS VEHICLES AND CALL THEM NEW.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I bought my 16 yr old daughter a 2013 Kia Optima. After 3 months & 3,000 miles the engine failed! It started stalling out when you're driving it. Which is not safe for a teenager who barely started driving much less an adult. Then a loud knocking noise! Checked the oil and there was none! Which is weird because we just got an oil change! Then I found about the recall on the engine. Metal pieces can get in the oil and the engine seizes, & there’s a loud knocking noise, and it stalls out! Same exact thing happened to me that the recall said! I called dealership & they can’t get me in until next week! Hopefully they will put a new engine for free. But then I see another recall on all the cars that got the engine replaced because they start on fire! What the hell! How can I trust this car while my 16 yr old daughter is driving it now! If it started on fire I would never forgive myself! Now I’m out thousands of dollars! Only had the car 3 months!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Our 2012 Kia Optima has had recall after recall. The last one was to replace the entire engine which we had done 2/22/18. The warranty on this new engine is only 1 year even though they brag of their new vehicle warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles! We brought our Optima in for service 6/25/18 because it overheated. We were told our brand new engine has a blown head gasket. It has been leaking for some time because there is damage to the cylinder walls. The recommended fix is a NEW ENGINE...no warranty (expired end of Feb)...$6,900!

We only put 13,000 miles on the new long block engine assembled by the manufacturer and installed by their certified dealer and the head gasket FAILED! Even the service techs believe the engine was faulty to begin with but Kia has denied our claim. If they do not make this right, I will never deal with Kia again and I will shout from the Mountaintops what a TERRIBLE company this is!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have bought two Kias in the last 6 years. My first Kia was a brand new 2013 Sorrento. The engine seized just after the 100,000 mile warranty was up but thankfully due to a class action suit my engine was replaced. My second Kia is a 2015 Kia Optima. Although 2011-2014 Optima's were included in the aforementioned class action suit the 2015 model was not. My 2015 Optima only has 58,000 and is on its way to needing a new engine. I have taken it in for service several times as the car often chugs/stalls when accelerating and smoke comes out the tailpipe. They never found anything wrong until just a month ago when they changed the catalytic converter under warranty and now that I have taken it back for service on the same chugging/stalling and smoking issue I am told that it needs $1,200 worth of work and is no longer under warranty due to poor maintenance.

Really, only one month later and now my warranty is void due to poor maintenance. This is a tactic that they use with the Kia GDI engine, blaming the owner for poor maintenance whenever there are engine/oil problems that will eventually blow out the motor. I recommend doing research before buying any Kia. They do not stand behind their products until people’s lives are at risk - the CEO's would not even testify when called upon by Congress. Come on people, even tobacco and gun dealers will show up to testify in front of Congress. DO NOT BUY KIA PRODUCTS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: June 13, 2019

i previously owned a 2010 Kia Optima and I loved that car. It got totaled in 2018. I purchased a 2011 Kia Optima with 79k. It was overpriced Carguru.com. I have had 2 of the 4 recalls with my car and always after they inspect the car. I have had problems with the vehicle almost every other month it seems. The front right strut was installed incorrectly causing it to pop my tire and ruin the entire tire. My steering wheel has been loose since day 1. I had to have the engine long block replaced due to it locking up while driving with my daughter who was only a few months old at the time. I've had to take it in again for the knock sensor due to the engine recall. Car has had to be towed over 3 times since I've owned it. Wheel bearing on same side of strut issue had to be replaced. (I paid) over 220.00 later.

I have missed work and appointments numerous times throughout the year. Car has lost power while driving almost causing 2 accidents without warning. My daughter was present 1 of those 2 times. Kia has been no help or assistance as well as the dealership. The throttle body sensor just went and they are charging me over 376.00. I've been without a vehicle for 6 days now and was told car won't be done for over a week. I'm upset and they won't do anything for me. Vehicle is unsafe and could catch fire anytime.

Original review: June 1, 2019

2012 KIA Optima Hybrid Engine locked up @ 100,104 miles. Car was meticulously maintained the last 6 years. Full Synthetic Mobil 1 changes every 3,000 miles. The hybrid generator replaced at 80,000 miles. The engine seized up on a 4 lane highway. Thank God my family came out unharmed. KIA wanted service records because we were 104 miles over power train warranty. We came up with the service records. KIA about faced, told us to pound sand because we were over warranty and the Hybrid Engines, despite being the same engine block as other Optimas, were not included in the engine failure recalls. So. Here we are. Left with a $20,000 paperweight unless we pay KIA $4500 to install another faulty engine.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was on the way home from the hospital with my son who has a serious medical condition when my Kia Optima's engine blew. I could hear the rod knock right away and the car slowed down to 40 miles per hour and the check engine light kept blinking. Mind you I had brought the car in for service from Kia two weeks prior and they did the software update to the ECU on the engine which was supposed to help stop the engine from failing.

My car is under warranty and for the work they did I had to pay over $1,200 during the ECU refresh because some other parts and pulleys near the turbo and engine were melted. Now my engine is blown I need to wait over a month to get it repaired since the issue is during the manufacturing process there was excess metal shavings left in brand new Theta 2 engines that Kia and Hyundai both use that caused metal in the engine and blew it. Kia is paying for all the repairs on the engine but what difference does it make if the car is not a safe vehicle.

I will NEVER buy another Kia ever again. This is my second Kia and will be my last. I also have a 2013 Optima 2.4 GDI (Theta 2 engine also) that I had to bring in for multiple recall repairs. These cars are not safe. The Theta 2 engines are prone to being blown and have a higher rate of fires occurring in both the Kia and Hyundai GDI engines and that goes for the 2.4 liter as well as the 2.0 Turbo. There is also a problem if you get your engine replaced that your fuel lines can be damaged hence the fires I spoke of earlier in my review. These cars are NOT safe for you or your family and I will never do business with this company again.

From now on it will only purchase a car from a car company that is trustworthy. They have recalled over 1.2 million Kias for multiple engine issues and if I could go back in time I would most definitely get a Nissan, Toyota or a Honda. I had a Toyota Corolla that ran for 130,000 and I never to the car in for ANY major repairs or major recalls.

Goodbye Kia. Your cars are blowing up like Samsung Galaxy Notes. I will make sure to tell every person I know to stay away from your defective vehicles and if my car has any issues after the engine replacement I am going to seek legal action against the company for safety issues such as these that can put myself or my family in danger. There are already multiple Class action lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for a variety of major issues with the Theta 2 engines (GDI) as well as many other issues. They should not be allowed to sell cars in the United States. Google the Theta 2 engines and your jaw will drop.

Original review: April 12, 2019

2106 Kia Optima--lease with 14 months to go on a four month lease. No KIA will not let me out of the lease. I have had Napleton Kia perform all maintenance and oil changes since inception. I took the car in first week of February 2109 or about then for oil change. Kia performed a recall on the engine. Within a week the car began to sputter and February 11th, Monday morning at 7:30 am I took the car back in. Within minutes they had me in a rental which I am still in today, April 12th. They said they thought the engine might fail but did not know. Well it did. They have ordered an engine and harness which both were on back order. The engine is to be shipped for the third time on April 14th. They called last Saturday that they were going to try a new harness this week. No calls from them that the car is ready. I have reported them to Indiana AG, and raised absolute H with their many departments.

One time they told me to call my insurance agent as if that was to solve their problem. I did not care about the mileage, I was going to purchase the car...but never. I just want out of the car. I cannot even trade it in this situation until I have it back. I do not want it back. I went over the Napleton Kia in Carmel, Indiana and picked up my license plant and all items in the vehicle. All I want is out of the car. KIA is forcing the lease down my throat. I have read many various complaints about the engine, KIA and the Optima. I just retired, and I still work three other jobs to make ends meet. I do not want this car back. KIA is without a doubt a miserable company. The good news is I do not own the car.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This Kia Optima has been our second Kia that we have purchased. The first one being a Kia Soul. We bought the Optima brand new from the dealership. After having it for a few months the a/c failed and wouldn’t work no more. Then the dealer replaced the a/c control unit and a week later it failed again so they had to replace the wiring harness so that left me with no car for about 2 weeks. Then around what I want to say was about 39,000 miles the engine light came on and I was told I need spark plugs which in my opinion was way too early but I paid for it anyways.

Then a few days later the engine light turned on again and I took it back to the dealership and they said this time it was the fuel injector so I didn’t have the car for two days since they had to wait for the part to install it. Then they said I should do a severe gdi service which I paid for it because they said it would help a lot and hopefully that would fix everything. Then a week later the car completely died on me at college and got it towed to the dealership and they told me that the engine was completely dead so they told me the would pay for it for them to put a new engine in the car. So at this point I waited for 3 months without my car which I’m making payments on. Once I finally get my car back it was running fine for 2 weeks then the light engine came on back again so I didn’t have my car for 2 weeks then they fixed it. Now it died again and haven’t had a car for a month now again.

Kia Optima Company Information