2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

The Kia Optima is a mid-size sedan with hybrid options. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Optima Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Optima?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

My boyfriend has a recall on his car and it is a fire hazard so we had to arrange for the car to be towed to the nearest KIA dealership. When I called on a Friday to set all of it up they refused to give him a rental car for more than 3 days without him paying the rest out of pocket for something that is a recall on their cars when they could not even get the vehicle in to be located at for at least 2 weeks. Then I arranged the tow for the following Monday and they stated I would have free tow. Just have them call the customer service number and they would be here between 12-12:30.

They never showed up that day so around 1pm I called and the lady I spoke with told me there was no records showing a tow scheduled for that vehicle that day but she would be happy to help me get something set up, while we were setting up a new tow she tried to tell me it was $94, I told her that I was told to have them call the customer service number and the documented that the fee would be waived, after 10 minutes of being on hold I was told that there was no documentation of that so it would be $94 which I told her I was not paying that when the recall is a mistake on their behalf. She put me on hold for like 20 minutes trying to get that fee waived. When she came back she had no answers for me but she would call me back. I never received a call back so I called again.

The first time I spoke with the Manager named Bonnie and another associate which was supposed to arrange the new tow and she hung up on me, then I called back to see what was going on and she then scheduled it without telling me when. So I asked to speak with that associate and the manager again and I was transferred to roadside assistance even after I stated that I did not want to speak with them. I hung up. Called back a 3rd time and that lady was very rude trying to tell me that they couldn't do anything. I had to talk with roadside assistance, I then told her that I would like to speak with the manager again, she said she was busy and would call me back.

When she called back I explained the whole situation to her and I just feel as if my whole struggle trying to resolve the issue they caused was dismissed, but she offered to reset up the tow for a time that worked out with my scheduled, so we did but couldn't not give me any confirmation that she set it up. Now we will wait and see if they actually show up to tow the vehicle today. All in all I had a very bad experience with this company and nothing but problems with this vehicle so we will be getting rid of it as soon as we get the chance!!

Original review: April 9, 2020

Engine Failure - Knocking Noise. Bought a used 2015 Optima hybrid Ex, from Honda Dealer in Riverside CA., my 16 year old son really wanted this car and had saved since he was 13yrs old. My husband and I match what he saved to help him buy the car of his dreams. Wish I would have done my due diligence with my research to know that Kia has known about this engine issue and continues to not stand behind their 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

After 4 short months and 82,000 miles the engine started making a loud knocking noise while my son was driving home from school (with no warning). Towed the vehicle to our local mechanic who diagnosed complete engine failure, no oil in the car. No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. We have maintenance record from dealer showing full inspection plus oil change had been completed on the car when we bought it at 79, 781 miles. How does the engine suck up that much synthetic oil in 4 month and 2k miles. Now we have a car just sitting at the shop, my poor son doesn't have 6k to replace the engine. Kia needs to take ownership and recall all the models due to their faulty engines! Buyer beware - DON'T BUY A KIA!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Bought a new Optima hybrid, from Kia in Burlington Ma., one of the reasons was a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. After 7 yrs. and 75,000 miles the engine seized up (with no warning). No check engine light, No oil pressure light, nothing. Then they spent three weeks determining the problem that it needs a new engine and won't be covered under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My Kia Optima has been in the shop for over 5 months now for warranty repairs. Kia has pushed back the arrival of the necessary part 7 times now, and I have to continue hounding them to get a simple update. My patience has run out with them, which is why I'm posting here. I have zero confidence in the company and dealerships (Berwyn Kia-outside Chicago). Neither corporate or the dealership are capable of providing accurate information, and they blame each other for the delays. 100% BS operation. DO NOT BUY A KIA.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

My Kia is a sharp looking vehicle and has some exceptional features which include automatic folding side mirrors, full sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel and a glove box that keeps water cool. It rides and handles very smoothly, has power to accelerate when needed and seats 5 comfortably along with charging plugs in the back seats. Trunk is quite roomy as well. I love it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I bought my Kia as a second car. I love it! It handles amazing and the power of the 4-cylinder motor surprises me everyday. It's comfortable though not tricked out in full luxury. I can get 500 miles per tank of gas. It's roomy enough without feeling overly large. I can't say enough about this car!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This has been the best car company to deal with. They truly go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction. When I was informed of a recall for a possible problem with the engine, they did everything to thoroughly check my car and extended the warranty on the engine to "Lifetime"! I've never had issue one with the car and I will be going to Kia for any future purchases.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I own a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid that has under 100K miles and the engine seized even though I had regular maintenance. Now the car is completely useless as I refuse to pay over $7,000 to have it fixed. Took it to Crown Kia in St. Petersburg FL last year for what turned out to be several electrical problems. It actually started with them requiring me to do a detailed ‘system check’ for almost $300 and they called for me to authorize a fuze to be replaced claiming that would fix the issue. They replaced the fuse and then kept calling me saying there was other problems they found... Several thousand later I had my car back.

Last week the car died on the expressway with the dashboard reading ‘Hybrid System Warning...’ Reluctantly I took it back to Crown Kia and again they said it would be fixed after the required ‘system check’ showed a blown fuse. They called after replacing the fuse and said my engine was seized and I needed a new engine! Very disappointed in Kia, Kia complaints division, and Crown Kia- horrible experience with this car overall.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I leased a Kia in February 2017. The first day it overheated and the dealer swapped me out immediate. I had to sign a new lease agreement for the replacement. The sales department opened 3 accounts and my payments were sent back to me for the first few months before the correct account was found. The replacement began to stall out at complete stops within the first 3 weeks. Since then over 20 times and the issue has never been found nor replaced.

We were instructed by our dealer to file lemon law and they offered to help as Consumer Affairs was not offering a solution to repair or replace. We signed on with an attorney and they stopped accepting payments again and refused to service the car going forward. They have now taken the car back and after paying $14,000 for the lease we no longer have one to drive through the end of our lease term which is up in 5 months. We even requested a buyback and they denied it due to it being defective and unsafe.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima with 116,000 miles preowned and certified, had it also checked by our personal mechanic who reported the car looked like it was in great shape. It came with a limited warranty of 3 months 3750 miles. My son who is 17 drove the car back and forth to school only for the first few months, no issues with the car. Received a recall notice for a sensor to be upgraded in case of engine failure so took it to the local Kia Dealership and had completed in May. In June/July car started with black smoke pouring out the exhaust, took it into a Kia Dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and reported they could not find anything wrong with it and assured us if the engine went it would be covered under the lifetime warranty as long as it was due to the engine block due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

We started to check the oil concerned regarding the black smoke and noticed it was burning oil. Called Kia and took in for oil consumption test. They found the car is burning a quart of oil approx. every 1000 miles and told us the car needed a short block replacement and rebuilding of the cylinder heads the cost would be approx. $4700.00 and was told it would not be covered under warranty as the complaint does not fall under the PI1803 recall. The dealership gave me Kia consumer relations number, told me the dealership spoke with a kia tech. and it was determined it would not be covered under the lifetime warranty....

A car that is well maintained should not being having engine issues and I have done a lot of research. The problem begins with oil consumption. Most people don't check their oil in between their oil changes because good cars don't burn oil. They still don't know and can't explain where the engine oil is going... I WOULD NEVER BUY A KIA again. Can't afford to get another car and don't know what to do with this nice looking but piece of garbage car. THANKS KIA! There needs to be a class action suit against KIA engine. Shouldn't need to be replaced at 124,000 miles when well maintained!

Kia Optima Company Information