2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

The Kia Soul is a five-door subcompact crossover that is manufactured by the South Korean car company Kia. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Soul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have been leasing a Kia Soul since 2017. I was attracted to it after having a loaner when my Toyota Matrix was in the shop some time ago. One sits up a bit higher than the smaller cars I've typically driven. For drivers with sciatica or low back pain, that is a blessing. The color was gorgeous and for those who think this is a small thing, I found it morale boosting.

Drawbacks:

Road noise.
Blind spot.
No navigation on dash.

Shaky on wet, slick roads.

But the strengths are not to be ignored: Rapid maneuverability even with the stated rollover risk -- such as when a deer, a skateboarder, or a dreamy pedestrian appear. Never, ever had trouble getting in or out of a parking space: It's compact and trim. I ended up buying snow tires, and that helped a bit. I'm debating about my next lease. I would love to stay with Kia but I really need some incentives to do so. Wishing you well in your decision.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This car fits my needs, which are that it is small, so easy to maneuver, park, and handle; roomy enough for me to camp with and sleep inside (I'm short); able to select quality features like panoramic sunroof, navigation with large screen and Android Auto, leather seats, seat warmers AND seat cooling; and ability to haul lumber, landscaping supplies, kayak and bikes. The downside is low gas mileage (23-25 mpg) but I knew that when I purchased it.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 2012 Kia Soul Base is a great car. It is fun to drive and adjusts for both short and tall drivers. The visibility is great for short drivers. The car is great for anyone with a bad back and is easy to get in and out of. It is a light car so not great in snowy conditions. Snow tires would help.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

The Kia Soul Exclaim has all the bells and whistles of a much more expensive car. All the technology is available, gorgeous interior, including an incredible dashboard design. VERY comfortable, both front and back. I've had no breakdowns, just regular maintenance- and it seems very well made. The Exclaim has a panoramic sunroof. I was rear ended at 40 mph by a drunk driver and sustained significant back end damage. However, I barely felt the hit and nothing happened to my dog in the back seat. The only drawback is that it is a little sluggish, but that isn't generally a problem.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I purchase a certified preowned 2015 Kia Soul in 2017. I completed all regular maintenance (oil change, tires, full tune up). Less than a year after buying the car, the oil filter just falls out of the car. All oil spills out. Then it happens again. At around 70k miles I take the car for full inspection. The Kia dealership determines there is a manufacturing error... SO MANY RECALLS! Now Kia Corporate will not replace the engine. THEY ARE NOT HONORING THE 100k POWER TRAIN WARRANTY. They offered me $2000 toward repairs which cost $6500. I'm going legal on them - Ryan from corporate basically said, "Do what you have to do." DO NOT BUY A KIA!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I bought a Kia Soul because I needed a car quickly. 2 friends had older versions. Liked. Mine 2016. Bought 2017. Drove 2 years. DEAD now. ASHEVILLE PARAMOUNT KIA plays PRAISE music for 15 mins on hold, after you almost died because the engine seized up. REALLY!! A PUBLIC business. Jesus would not make a catalytic converter that there is a MAJOR recall for that MELTS and sends chards into your engine, breaks rods and pistons SL 176. Look it up. BUT THEN, the lying starts.... YOUR warranty holder will pretend YOU didn't do your oil changes correctly r/t 'finding sludge". Here's the deal. BE THERE when THEY declare "oh sludge", with your OWN mechanic. Seriously, think of this system. The perpetrator is going to 'decide' the problem? WOW. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE NOTORIOUS PIECES OF p..p. Look up the recalls. Look up the number of recalls. Do NOT think the 'warranty' means ANYTHING.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I purchased a pre-owned 2014 Kia Soul+ in 2015 for my niece to drive back and forth to college. We maintained the car with regular oil changes. In March 2020 she was driving the highway and the engine failed. We had it towed to a mechanic and he found metal shavings in the oil. This was after the oil had been changed 6 weeks prior. I contacted Kia Motors of America and they informed me that the car would not be covered because the mileage was over 100K. Kia had earlier recalled the Kia Soul 1.6L engine for this problem. Also, their sister company Hyundai has recalled the 2014 & 2015 Tucson with the same engine. There is a defect with this engine. Hundreds of owners have experienced the same problem per the NHTSA website. Kia needs to make this right. The replacement engine will be $6000 + if you can find one.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I traded a 2017 Kia Soul for a 2020 Kia Soul and was supposed to receive a refund on GAP and overpayment on the 17. It’s been a year and many phone calls and I still don’t have the refunds, unprofessional!

Original review: June 4, 2020

As I stated Kia vehicles and they've all had problems. Most of the Time they fix the issues that come up but other times they won't do it even if you give them evidence and proof. She show that the issue is caused by them so because of that I will certainly not buy another kia product. Deftly not a new one. I'm not giving kia corporation any more of my money. They've had a lot of problems in the past with their engines going bad really early and they replaced them because they know the issues but some cars the engines go bad just a little over the amount of miles that they will do it for and those people even though the issue is still their fault kia corporation. I mean they don't do ending for them. It's a shame.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I own a 2020 EX model that the divers seat already took a hard set that my other vehicles in the past took years to crush into. When driving at/around 45mph wind noise is extremely noticeable more so than the 2006 F150 I traded in. It gets to a certain volume & stays there no matter the speed that's above 45 mph. It seems the weather stripping allows for a cowl induction drag the way it lips low down from the corner of the glass. This car has a tremendous driver side blind spot & they put the lane check sensor indicator lamp right where most people put a spot mirror. This was a dumb thing to do because it goes against common sense & behavior.

The navigation system couldn't find my home address from 3 miles around the corner & needed a factory update. The GPS is very inaccurate compared to Google maps & the navigation update changed my fuel tank mileage left to empty counter from 400 miles when full to 387 or so. I missed one set GPS location by a block & a half! Food likes to fall down into the center council the way the parking break is set within a scooped contour. I probably have 5 sunflower seeds growing inside the council & no easy way to vacuum them out. This car was extremely overpriced for what it is. Delivery was a little over $900 & this new car body design had not been crash tested yet at the point of sale.

Kia Soul Company Information