Find a Car Models partner

3. Car Models

4.0/5 (189 ratings)
Find a Car Models partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Kia Soul

The Kia Soul is a five-door subcompact crossover that is manufactured by the South Korean car company Kia. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Soul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?

Original review: June 8, 2021

I bought a Kia Soul 2017 brand new and since then I have had nothing but issues.. In two months my starter went bad..In four months my transmission went bad...In a little over a year my engine went bad..My converter went bad..The electrical system is bad etc..When I contacted customer service not only did they refuse to call back most times but their attitude was shameful and they hid behind the fact that Illinois state law protects them and they can’t do anything for me..Well yes They can. As a company they could’ve helped me out... They could’ve extended my warranty.. They could’ve done something and all they did was shame me...They are the worst company and I am writing a review everywhere I can find to warn people about Kia motor America.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Purchased a 2020 Kia Soul Jan 2020. 2/15/21 I came to a stoplight hit the gas and realize there's no power. Had to put the car in park and restart the engine. Check engine light is on. Go to dealership the check engine light is on the whole time. They tell me the whole of Kia's computers are down and don't know when they can look at my car. They didn't have a loaner and I had to rent a car.

Two days later they tell me the mechanic scanned the car and they couldn't find anything wrong. The check engine light is no longer on. I'm out $125 for the rental car. Pick up the car no problem. 3/3/21 I'm about to drive onto the freeway. I come to a stop before entering the slip road and the engine turns off. I put the car in park and restart the vehicle and again the check engine light is on. I drive it to the dealership and the guy tells me he can't look at it till tomorrow. I said I'm not getting another rental and then have you tell me that there's nothing wrong with it tomorrow, so he went to see what was going on and came back and said it had shown that it needs a new PCM.

I asked what that was and he said it's basically the brain of the computer. I've never had any issues with Kia customer service until now. The guy I spoke to today was very short with me when I asked him for some help getting information to them. I traded in an older Honda Civic for this car. Never had any issues. I should have kept it.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

66 with MS. Bought 2020 Soul to Avoid breakdowns-reliable car. 2/20/21 car engine light stays on, dies. Kia says have no loaners, May take weeks to fix, I do Grubhub, Lose job? Cant pay car? Kia doesn’t Help!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Bought a 2020 Soul LX with the cvt in June of 2020. The engine started knocking at 6-7k miles. Kia says it's normal. The engine also burns 2.5 quarts of oil every 5k miles. It holds 4.25. Kia says that's normal. It can burn up to 3qts per oil change. DO NOT BUY A KIA!!! The warranty means nothing! The bottom end of a motor should not knock! I will never purchase another Kia! I hope this saves other people time and money. Buy anything else but kia!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I own a 2013 KIA SOUL which I love but I need some work on it which requires to remove my lug nuts off my rim. My key broke and I cannot find it to be replace because is discontinued. So I am asking how do you expect me to remove my lug nuts off my car? I did go to the Kia store where I bought my car and have bought 2 other cars and they said tried to reach out to their tire person who they could not reach. So the person working there send me a link to buy the key on Walmart site which I did order it myself. The problem I have is why do I have to order some thing that is a KIA product that broke and you could not replace or at least order it for me to be replaced? The lug nut key is a 6 point spline turner lug nut key.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I purchase a certified preowned 2015 Kia Soul in 2017. I completed all regular maintenance (oil change, tires, full tune up). Less than a year after buying the car, the oil filter just falls out of the car. All oil spills out. Then it happens again. At around 70k miles I take the car for full inspection. The Kia dealership determines there is a manufacturing error... SO MANY RECALLS! Now Kia Corporate will not replace the engine. THEY ARE NOT HONORING THE 100k POWER TRAIN WARRANTY. They offered me $2000 toward repairs which cost $6500. I'm going legal on them - Ryan from corporate basically said, "Do what you have to do." DO NOT BUY A KIA!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I bought a Kia Soul because I needed a car quickly. 2 friends had older versions. Liked. Mine 2016. Bought 2017. Drove 2 years. DEAD now. ASHEVILLE PARAMOUNT KIA plays PRAISE music for 15 mins on hold, after you almost died because the engine seized up. REALLY!! A PUBLIC business. Jesus would not make a catalytic converter that there is a MAJOR recall for that MELTS and sends chards into your engine, breaks rods and pistons SL 176. Look it up. BUT THEN, the lying starts.... YOUR warranty holder will pretend YOU didn't do your oil changes correctly r/t 'finding sludge". Here's the deal. BE THERE when THEY declare "oh sludge", with your OWN mechanic. Seriously, think of this system. The perpetrator is going to 'decide' the problem? WOW. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE NOTORIOUS PIECES OF p..p. Look up the recalls. Look up the number of recalls. Do NOT think the 'warranty' means ANYTHING.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I purchased a pre-owned 2014 Kia Soul+ in 2015 for my niece to drive back and forth to college. We maintained the car with regular oil changes. In March 2020 she was driving the highway and the engine failed. We had it towed to a mechanic and he found metal shavings in the oil. This was after the oil had been changed 6 weeks prior. I contacted Kia Motors of America and they informed me that the car would not be covered because the mileage was over 100K. Kia had earlier recalled the Kia Soul 1.6L engine for this problem. Also, their sister company Hyundai has recalled the 2014 & 2015 Tucson with the same engine. There is a defect with this engine. Hundreds of owners have experienced the same problem per the NHTSA website. Kia needs to make this right. The replacement engine will be $6000 + if you can find one.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I traded a 2017 Kia Soul for a 2020 Kia Soul and was supposed to receive a refund on GAP and overpayment on the 17. It’s been a year and many phone calls and I still don’t have the refunds, unprofessional!

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have been leasing a Kia Soul since 2017. I was attracted to it after having a loaner when my Toyota Matrix was in the shop some time ago. One sits up a bit higher than the smaller cars I've typically driven. For drivers with sciatica or low back pain, that is a blessing. The color was gorgeous and for those who think this is a small thing, I found it morale boosting.

Drawbacks:

Road noise.
    Blind spot.
    No navigation on dash.

Shaky on wet, slick roads.

But the strengths are not to be ignored: Rapid maneuverability even with the stated rollover risk -- such as when a deer, a skateboarder, or a dreamy pedestrian appear. Never, ever had trouble getting in or out of a parking space: It's compact and trim. I ended up buying snow tires, and that helped a bit. I'm debating about my next lease. I would love to stay with Kia but I really need some incentives to do so. Wishing you well in your decision.

Kia Soul Company Information