3.24/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Soul

The Kia Soul is a five-door subcompact crossover that is manufactured by the South Korean car company Kia. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Soul Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

So let's face it, we all have good and bad experiences. This one is the true nature of the Kia brand. The 2014 Kia Soul was my second brand new Kia. I was up to this point a fan of the vehicles. Great gas mileage and safe. But the last month ended that. The vehicle has 105k, after trying to deal with Kia at 89k because of the catalytic converter failure code, they said the cat was my problem. But a few months later got a recall for the ECU program failure that overheats the cat to burn off emissions causes engine failure and destroys the catalytic converter. So I brought my car back. Guess what, catalytic converter was bad and the car burns 1 quart of oil every 500 miles.

They replaced the cat. Did a firmware update on the ecu. I told them about the oil consumption. They had me bring it back 3 times for a consumption test, which it failed. They did a compression test which it also failed. Then called me to tell me it was not covered. Made a case to Kia consumer affairs, HA. And the joke begins. They said the engine would still need to throw codes for engine damage. But if you flash the ECU it thinks everything is as it should be. Tuning 101 Kia. So they will not fix it.

Talking to Aamco (real mechanic) he stated that if the engine burns too hot for too long trying to clear the catalytic converter it will destroy rings and varnish cylinders. Hmm, sound like he knows what the so called master tech at Kia doesn't. So of course I now have a car that has been dealer serviced for its life and has failed at 100k. I have other vehicles from the big 3 with double the mileage and no problems. So I guess my lesson is dont buy knock off vehicles from a company that only consumes and doesn't care about you. Be warned that these vehicles will fail. Prematurely. You will be stuck with a paperweight. They will refuse to fix anything under warranty, it will be your fault. I am ashamed that I did not see this coming.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

My husband and I were changing the wheel bearings on our 2014 KIA Soul. The dealership I took it to, Evans KIA in Georgia. At first they said it was our brakes, then we had them replace front brakes. Ok, I pick up our Soul, thinking it was fixed. They told me at front desk that it was the wheel bearings. Ugh, even I a stay at home wife knows the difference between wheel bearings going out and transaxle going out or brakes. If you can shake your tires up and down and it moves while on lift it is your wheel bearings. If you move just tire and have play going left to right and right to left it is transaxle. When we bought our KIA Soul we had no history for this used vehicle. But Evans KIA should have known which part was deficient, instead they give you a list of what could be wrong. It seems to me KIA dealership should have some kind of rules and regulations not to take advantage of people like that.

On the second half of story, I had paid out $260.00 for new breaks. And got an estimate for wheel bearings only 2 for the front for $900.00. Not to mention we had the same situation before with A/C. Saying it was one thing then it turned out to be $1500.00 for a/c condenser. I'm finding out I am not getting the professional mechanics for premium price. It took my husband and I less than 5 hours to have our wheel bearings out of the car, wheel bearings cost at part store $31.99 each. To me that does not equal $900.00 estimate.

We are at stopping point, KIA brake heating shields in between knuckle and wheel hub assembly, it is not a half moon shape it completely surrounds the two pieces so you can not use normal press to press out the wheel bearings. Thus having to bend you heat shield to press out your wheel bearing. Or you can go to KIA in Evans Georgia, $125 for only pressed out wheel bearings and if you want it pressed in another $125.00. Not everyone has that kind of money laying around, and some are on fixed incomes. So I say this to KIA, cheap shot at making your cars very expensive and proprietary. Cheap shot! I'll never buy another KIA ever because of this.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Have had nothing but trouble since I bought it new. First year, car stalled on Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge. Had it towed to Romeo Kia Kingston NY. ENGINE WAS REPLACED. 8/18 Heating and Air conditioner went. Not covered. Filed with Consumer Affairs. 4/19 Car died. Towed to Hudson NY because roadside assist ran out. Catalytic Converter replaced - $1,276. 1 week later another recall for Catalytic Converter. Still have 2 yrs. payments. Last time towed, my 6 mos. baby was in the car. Today I read of the fires in the engine. Waiting for another recall!! This is a life-threatening episode. TAKE THE CAR BACK!!!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

When I bought this car, I traded in a high mileage Dodge Caliber that still ran nearly perfect. I own a 2012 model that I bought about 3 years ago. First, paint started peeling by the tail lights. I was told the warranty was over because it had just passed the mileage threshold. I've never heard of that for a paint warranty. Last year the a/c died just as the summer heat was setting in. I haven't had that fixed yet. Recently a recall was issued to have the catalytic converter checked. Now there is an extended warranty to cover potential problems with the steering. I hate that I bought this car. I hate that I gave up my Dodge. 2 years to go and I'll be lucky if it's still running. Oh. The kicker? Not even 90k miles. Nice.

Original review: May 9, 2019

My daughter rolled her Kia Soul on a highway. The top of the vehicle did not collapse. We own 3 Kia Souls. We will be purchasing another. It’s unbelievable that she walked away from the accident. We are thankful that the car was well made.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?

Original review: May 8, 2019

My Kia Soul engine seized three months ago. After towing it Kia motors the warranty I still had on my vehicle replaced the engine because there were metal shards in the engine. Three days later there was a loud popping noise and smoke. Three seconds after I got out of the vehicle it exploded into flames. Kia is stating they will not inspect the vehicle or provide a new vehicle. Please Stay away from Kia to avoid this nightmare.

Original review: May 6, 2019

If I could put zero stars I would, I purchased a 2015 Kia Soul in 2017 with a little under 50,000 miles. At 80,000 miles the engine goes out and I'm told it’s because I used generic oil filters so I purchased a used engine. I’m now at 86,500 and this engine is out as well right outside of its warranty. Since the first engine went out I have only been getting my oil changed at the Kia dealership, and the engine went out as well for an oil issue. I am so disgusted and outraged and all the folks at the “lovely” Kia dealership can do is apologize for the inconvenience. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER KIA and I will make sure everyone I know won’t either.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have a 2014 Kia Soul that has only 18000 miles on it, it is still covered under the factory warranty. It idles fine in gear until you depress the brake pedal and then the engine slows down to the point that it shakes, I have taken this car to Stevens Creek Kia service center around 5 or 6 times and each time I was told that they changed this or that and they tell me that the car is fine now which is NOT true. The car still shakes. When I asked questions about the way that this car shakes they answer back in gibberish and lies and send me on my way. I will never buy another Kia again and if you own a Kia do not take it to Stevens Creek Kia for service, they are just like Kia the company they tell you what they want you to believe truth or not and will abandon you! Kia's customer service center abandoned me too!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought a 2016 Kia Soul! (Exclaim) in March of 2017. I’ve never had any mechanical issues in any way until this year. On 4/4/19 I was driving on a highway when a freak accident happened and my oil cap popped off, I pulled over right away after I heard the noise and called for a tow truck. There was still oil in my car when I called for a tow truck and when it was being lifted on the bed oil was still leaking out. It was taken to the closest Kia dealership which blamed me for running with my oil light on so it wasn’t covered under warranty.

They also said nothing else was wrong with my car, just the missing cap and lack of oil (due to missing cap). I drove 20 miles and before I could make it home my oil light started flickering like crazy. I pulled over and was advised to call yet ANOTHER tow truck. I did and it got towed to a different dealership. That dealership did an extensive investigation into my car and had a district manager involved who said I would need a new engine but it wasn’t going to be covered under warranty due to no oil in my engine “maintenance neglect”!

The only time I didn’t have oil was when it drained out on the side of the road. I never drove with my oil light on and did everything I was advised to. My car was 2 years old had 33,000 miles on it and they don’t want to cover a new engine like they should! I was told to contact customer affairs and got screamed at by not one but TWO managers when I plead my case. We finally got ahold of corporate who was also very nasty. They agreed to reopen my case once we mentioned a lawyer and BBB. I will NEVER buy another Kia again because of this entire mess with customer service. Awful company.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought a 2017 Kia Soul in March of 2017. As of today I will have had 5 new tires, 4 of which I paid for and only 1 which was covered under the warranty. I live in Phoenix, Arizona, not the mountains of Peru! I drive on modern highways. I have driven for 50 years and never had so many tire problems on cars that I owned before. What is wrong with these tires? Every time one goes flat, the dealer asks me "did you bump a curb?" Well, maybe, but when did tires become so fragile that they cannot be bumped without splitting the tread? I otherwise would love the Soul, but I cannot recommend it to anyone because of the continuing flat, irreperable tires.

Kia Soul Company Information