Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.14/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Kia Soul is a five-door subcompact crossover that is manufactured by the South Korean car company Kia. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Soul Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This car fits my needs, which are that it is small, so easy to maneuver, park, and handle; roomy enough for me to camp with and sleep inside (I'm short); able to select quality features like panoramic sunroof, navigation with large screen and Android Auto, leather seats, seat warmers AND seat cooling; and ability to haul lumber, landscaping supplies, kayak and bikes. The downside is low gas mileage (23-25 mpg) but I knew that when I purchased it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 2012 Kia Soul Base is a great car. It is fun to drive and adjusts for both short and tall drivers. The visibility is great for short drivers. The car is great for anyone with a bad back and is easy to get in and out of. It is a light car so not great in snowy conditions. Snow tires would help.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

The Kia Soul Exclaim has all the bells and whistles of a much more expensive car. All the technology is available, gorgeous interior, including an incredible dashboard design. VERY comfortable, both front and back. I've had no breakdowns, just regular maintenance- and it seems very well made. The Exclaim has a panoramic sunroof. I was rear ended at 40 mph by a drunk driver and sustained significant back end damage. However, I barely felt the hit and nothing happened to my dog in the back seat. The only drawback is that it is a little sluggish, but that isn't generally a problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Our Kia Soul is surprisingly roomy, comfortable and fun to drive. It looks small, but has a huge capacity to carry large things with the back seats down. We were remodeling our house at the time and we were able to carry flooring, several gallons of paint and a shower door. I thought we'd have to rent a truck, but our trusty Kia Soul was able to carry everything.

Original review: May 9, 2019

My daughter rolled her Kia Soul on a highway. The top of the vehicle did not collapse. We own 3 Kia Souls. We will be purchasing another. It’s unbelievable that she walked away from the accident. We are thankful that the car was well made.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Soul?

Original review: March 9, 2020

This is the third Soul I have owned and the worst car I have ever owned. My new souls in the past I have loved and always recommended. Not the case with the 2020 Soul. There have been many changes, and in my opinion all bad. First, the most dangerous one. The high beam switch, the shape has been changed and has a flat area that when you move your fingers forward you risk accidentally toggling the headlights off. It has happened to me over ten times. It should be recalled on this.

The second is the auto start/stop feature that can not be turned off. The salesman said it could, but did not tell me that every time you turn off the car it resets. I always forget and it turns off when I do not want it to. Dangerous when you are trying to get out into busy traffic and you try for that open spot and there is a delay starting the car. The cruise control is by far worse than the other souls I have had. They say it is working fine and normal. The seat belt alarm will not stop chiming if the belts are not fastened. The bigger chiming problem is the rear hatch. It will not stop chiming if it is open. If I am getting something large I will have the back open but tied down and I get to listen to the chiming the 30 minute drive home. Many other minor announces as well, too many to list. Worst car I have ever owned and will never buy another Kia again.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Bought 2015 Kia Soul with 45k miles for my daughter's first car. At 72k miles the engine failed going up a hill on a very busy highway. Always maintained the car with premium oil and filters per the maintenance schedule. I contacted the Kia customer service. At first they were very apologetic and directed me to take my car to a local Kia dealership. Mechanic determined the piston failed and damaged the engine. Repair requires a new engine. When I performed an internet search, I discovered that this is a pervasive issue with many Kia models/years and several recalls have been issued due to the engines failing due to poor quality control. There are many complaints on the NHTSA website.

After a couple of weeks with my car at a Kia dealership, Kia customer service notified me that my claim was denied. I asked what was the basis of the denial and was told they did not know what it was. If Kia had offered any support to me at all, I would have been appreciative. I expect a recall will be issued for my VIN in the next several months. Until then, I plan to describe my experience with Kia on as many review boards and other internet sites as possible. I would have praised Kia if they had offered any assistance to me to even include a deal for a new Kia vehicle.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Kia transmission. I have a 2019 white Kia Soul that I had a problem back in 2019 October with a hard bump when I come to a complete stop. Was told by Gunther Kia in Fort Lauderdale that my car was getting to know how I drive. This is a 2019 brand new car, good. Purchased it the ending of 2018 brand new. This is unbelievable so I was told by the service manager to go home and they will call me once they hear from Kia tech-support then I need to bring the vehicle back and this is what I did. Now at this point I was told they would need to reset my vehicle and this will take care of the problem which I did right. Good for about 5 Months maybe. I just had to take my car back to Service on February 2020 for the same hard Thump.

Now again service at Gunther Kia is telling me the car is getting to know how you drive, there is no lights indicating that there is a problem with the Kia soul. I go home, talk to my husband and he advised we need to take the car back to Kia because we did not buy the car like this and there is definitely a problem. The service manager at Kia advise will Will advise Kia tech-support that no matter if there’s no lights on the car, no matter if the fluids are good on the car that this car needs a new transmission so it gets better. Kia the maker of the car call me and states, "Miss ** we want to make this right. We are sorry that you have gone through this. We’re going to Three months reimbursement of car payments. You just need to sign the offer letter and send back."

Lord Jesus help me. These evil vindictive people in Fine print want me to do away with my rights for the lemon law if this happens again. Kia motors the makers of the car Are doing wrong to the consumers trying to buy them off with a couple hundred bucks but because I read the fine print I refuse it. Please please be aware of Things like this because money is not worth you having to stay with a brand new vehicle And pay payments even if it’s broken. I’m truly upset about this. I’ve had three incidents for the same problem that just got fixed on Saturday just passed.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Kia Soul owners beware. There is a factory defect that will ruin your engine without warning. Check your oil often. Kia will not honor their warranty due to "owner neglect." How convenient?? I was able to produce proof that this car was well maintained yet they still denied me any help. This company is a joke.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Paint quality is not good. Low maintenance car with good gas mileage. Only needs oil change about once a year. Seats are not comfortable for long trips. There is a good amount of carbon noise when driving on the highway.

Kia Soul Company Information

www.kia.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.