Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.42/5

Kia Sportage

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

190 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Have a '17 Kia Sportage that just rolled 100k and the motor burned up. And Kia Is saying that it's not their fault because when clearly the engine is junk. No way a motor should die in less than 3 years. Don't buy a Kia. They won't stand behind it.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Love the Sportage but the engine began ticking while on the interstate. Within minutes the ticking turning into local banging. No engine warning lights, nothing at all. Engine is blown. We have meticulously maintained this car and gave the records. 139K miles and it is now dead. Dealer diagnosed engine failure consistent with other recalled Kia/Hyundai motors but they refused to replace engine. Kia corporate (consumer affairs) was very helpful at first but as soon as the dealer confirmed a defective engine consumer affairs has gone silent. They do not return calls after at least 10 messages.

BEWARE of the 2.0L and the 2.4L Theta II engines. They are defective. Kia recalled only a small number of them. A large number are failing. Google "Kia engine failure" and start reading. Never ever buy a used Kia. Even replacement engines are failing. Don't expect Kia/Hyundai to stand behind their products. 131 complaints on NHTSA site on this specific make, year, and model.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2019

2 problems I have with my Kia Sportage 2017. After a few months this happens and has been doing it inconsistently. When the car goes 40 miles an hour the rpm shoots up and I then put my foot on the gas pedal to the floor and nothing happens!!!! This can happen twice a day. Cannot happen for a week! Brought it to the dealer few times and they say well the engine light is not on they cannot do anything. They cannot figure out the problem when checking it out. They tell me to take a picture!! A joke!! Also the sunroof keeps slowing down and won't shut! I have to manually close it right now!! Will not get another Kia! It is leased.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought a 2013 KIA Sportage in 2015, paid cash for this vehicle because everyone raved how these vehicles are so good and dependable, had the vehicle for 3 yrs., and my engine blew. I was at a stop light and went to take off and my car sounded horrible, I pulled in to a gas station and called my brother and asked him what it was he replied shut it off your motor sounds blown. So I had to pay out of pocket to have it towed to the closet Kia dealership where they diagnosed my car as having a blown engine due to the bearings, and that my estimate was $5,768.90 to be fixed.

That’s when they told me about the recall for several different types of Kia's however unfortunately my engine isn't covered under the recall. Which after reading several other peoples complaints it doesn’t appear theirs is covered either. Which is confusing to ME!! Right now there are approximately 1.4 million Kia customers that are experiencing this same dilemma. And to find out Kia isn't going to help me replace my motor! I have taken care of my vehicle and have had it serviced FAITHFULLY EVERY 3,000 MILES.

I have went through every step there is through Kia to see about them adding my engine to the recall or some kind of “goodwill” assistance to cover this expense and they told me that my car has to many miles, or I’m the second owner, to you name it I’ve heard every excuse, My miles on this car is 139,864. And the recall claims unlimited miles. So explain that to me. I have had the run around from so many Kia employees at the customer assistance center it’s unreal. This is ridiculous. There are thousands and thousands of recalls for this issue, and Kia knew these motors were bad and still sold the vehicles.

For someone who is single like myself and rely on driving something dependable and can't afford something else or the outstanding amount for the repairs, Kia leaves me with nothing. Now do I not only have nothing to drive, have to gets rides to work, or borrow a vehicle, while still paying monthly insurance on my vehicle because I don’t want to be in trouble for having a vehicle in my name and not having insurance on it, but paying for something I can’t drive! Not to mention try to figure out how to come up with over 5, 000 dollars to fix this issue, Thank you Kia!!! I will never purchase another Kia again.

Something needs to be done about this issue not just for myself but all the other people who are going through the same thing I am. This is such a financial burden on me all the way around!!! And yet Kia does nothing. It shouldn’t matter how many miles I have on my car, or if there’s a warranty, they knew the engines were bad and still sold them anyway, I didn’t pay for a car or an engine that was only going to work for 3 years!!!! I tried to get a loan to replace the engine and nope who’s going to give me a loan for an engine. Back to square one.

UPDATE: as of the beginning of March 2019 Kia offered to pay half of my motor, they only paid 1,600 which sticks me with the remainder of the bill that I would like them to pay for. Not to mention because my engine blew my car sat for approx. 6 mo. waiting to get a motor, I ended up having to replace my brakes all the way around my car from sitting outside all winter long and my brakes were rusted and when I drove it they would stick. I’m still paying on a loan for 4,168.00 and not to mention the mental anguish for the whole situation because of having to take time off from work, and not having anything to drive, and having to borrow a vehicle to drive to get to work, due to the fault of Kia and their faulty engines.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Purchased by 2017 Sportage March 2017, December 2018 started getting bad vibration in the engine. March 2019 complete engine failure. New engine installation March 2019. Now it's April 2019 with only 4,000 miles on this engine cylinder 3 failure again. This has to be a bad design and Kia need to own up to it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: April 22, 2019

2015 Sportage. 38000 miles. Blown engine. We purchased this car for the warranty. It seemed to be a good fit for my wife to do shopping and small trips. Now we’re into renting a car. Waiting for the Generation Kia dealer to replace the blown motor. They did not provide me with a loaner car, I have to pay out of pocket to rent a car. (Co. office in California said they will reimburse for rental when it’s repaired.) ((I hope.)) There is no commitment from the dealer as to when this will be this will be resolved. Generation Kia. Bohemia, NY. R. M. W.

Original review: April 15, 2019

When going on a normal speed of 25-65 miles per hour the car will do the following:

Issue:

1. RPMS drop while trying to accelerate.
2. The car will jerk like something was hit.
3. Feels like the gears disengage and then reengage.

4. Coming out of a turn and accelerating it seems like it moves very slow.

I’ve taken the vehicle to Kia of Irvine, 45 Oldfield, Irvine, CA 92618, 3 times, plus once on the 11th of April which they claim they have fixed it (I will see). Plus called and spoke to the Service Mgr that the car was doing the issues mentioned above. The first the technician diagnosed that the transmission had to be reprogrammed. Well according to them the vehicle was reprogrammed. Then that was not the issue. They tested the vehicle again and it was determined the voltage of the battery was low. So, a new battery was purchased and installed by Kia of Irvine, 45 Oldfield, Irvine, CA 92618.

*Neither the reprogramming of the transmission and new battery has fixed the issue. * The issue has been ongoing. Then on the 4th of April 9, 2019 @ ABOUT 01045, the vehicle did the something mentioned above – going at 60 mph, the car jerked real bad. Reoccurrence of the issues mentioned above: March 26, 2019 – 2135 – vehicle had the issues above. April 9, 2019 – 01045 – vehicle had the issues above. April 9, 2019 – 12045pm – vehicle had the issues above. 4th attempt to fix the issue - On the 11th of April 15, 2019, the dealer in Irvine, Ca reprogrammed the transmission again for a second time. So, if the first time the tech reprogrammed the transmission, what makes them think that the second time will resolve the issue?

Original review: March 24, 2019

My 2018 KIA Sportage had a complete engine failure with just over 18,000 miles. The dealer says it could be months before they receive a new engine. I called my insurance carrier USAA and the girl I spoke with said I am the third person she has spoken within the last week with the exact same problem with a 2018 KIA Sportage engine and the person she last spoke with only had 17,000 miles on their 2018 KIA Sportage.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I bought a 2018 Kia Sportage less than a year ago. I bought it for four main reasons. Reported reliability (failed), Panoramic Sunroof (failed 2x), Warranty (they can't seem to fix anything), and the dealership's service agreement and extended warranty (dealer no longer exists). So, as you can see Kia has failed miserably with every single reason I chose to buy this car. At about 6K miles, the Sunroof stopped working and wouldn't close. The dealer (same one I bought it from) told me there was "nothing they could do to help me" and that I "should put it in a garage." Eventually they replaced the motor in it, but it still doesn't work. Closes part way and then reopens. I have to manually push it shut.

But, it gets better... At 17K miles it breaks down and goes into limp mode over an hour from my home. After an extraordinarily stressful and miserable time stuck on the side of the highway in the cold for over six hours. Kia tells me that IF it's a warranty issue, they will reimburse me (partially) for the car I had to rent. Now, three weeks later, Kia tells me they won't honor the lemon law (12K mile limit, though it's less than a year old) and they don't know when I will have it back. They have offered to reimburse my car payment for the downtime.

But here's the thing, they replaced the sunroof motor, and it still doesn't work, what on earth makes me believe that if they replace the engine in the car that it will work and that I won't be trapped on the side of a highway somewhere again? I can never trust this vehicle again. It is a lemon and Kia refuses to make it right by offering me a new one. I will never buy another Kia again, and as soon as this lemon is paid off, it's being traded in. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently purchased a 2014 Kia Sportage with very low mileage. It was - in APRIL- driving well. Mid November I noticed a strange noise and took it to 2 separate shop for diagnosis. The nearest certified Kia dealership is 3 hours away. The entire steering column had to be replaced. There was no way I could have safely driven it over windy, snowy icy roads to the dealership. I notified Kia customer service who said instead of having it fixed locally I should have paid the tow. How would I get to work? The company refused to reimburse me for required repairs in a vehicle still under warranty. A very bad experience. Both my daughter and I are getting rid of our Kias immediately.

Kia Sportage Company Information