Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Sportage Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought the car used in mid Just. I do a lot of driving, car has been great. Just had our 1st Major snow storm. AWD worked great. Got me through the sleet and snow. So far I've put close to 14000 miles on the car. Very satisfied. Averaging close to 25mpg, 27 to 28 on long highway runs.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

In 35+ years of car ownership, I have only paid off 1 car. Usually I get tired of them, something bothers me about them, mechanical problems etc. Until I got my Kia Sportage. Almost 6 years later, 3 payments away from payoff and I just bought a new set of 65,000 mile tires. There's nothing I don't like about this car. And even when I see newer models, I don't like the look as much as my own. I would highly recommend the Kia Sportage for safety, reliability and ease of ownership!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I really love my Kia. It runs well and smooth. I love the color. It is called Black Cherry so it is black with red sparkly bits in it. Very pretty when it is clean. It gets really good gas mileage, especially on the highway. I would recommend it to anyone. I do think anyone with teenage children would benefit as well. Good vehicle, lower insurance rates and good gas mileage. Would be a good reliable vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I love driving my 2017 Kia Sportage. It handles very well and has a lot of nice features. The dealerships have been great taking care of any problems we have had and keeping us notified of any recalls that need attention. A problem I have been experiencing is the location of the rear turn signal indicators. I live in an area where folks like to drive near the bumper of the vehicle in front of them. Due to the signals being so low and wrapping around the side of the Sportage, the driver following cannot see the signal when engaged...especially in the day time hours. I have been nearly hit from behind multiple times and several have even passed me when I was in the process of making the left turn. Trying to change lanes when the roads are packed with other commuters is also hard to accomplish due to the signal not being noticed.

If the turn indicator could be integrated into the brake light, it could be seen by everyone...no one seems to pay attention to anything below the license plate and near the bumper. This is a safety issue and a design flaw. I called the Kia consumer affairs department and all they said was the design team would be notified...I do not feel that was a satisfying answer.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have a 2018 Kia Sportage and love it except for the driver's seat which has become uncomfortable over the past several months. It feels like I am sitting on metal after a short while. I have had it for 18 months. Otherwise, it is a great car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I purchased my 2020 Kia Sportage the end of October 2019. Obviously that is winter and I haven't had to use my AC. At Christmas I went to South GA and it was hot, I turned on the AC it was blowing hot air. I didn't feel I need to run down to the dealer (Atlanta West Kia) to it repaired since it should be covered by the warranty and its winter, I thought I would have them look at it when I took it in for an oil change. I took my car on Friday (01/24/2020) and dropped off at the dealer to have the oil changed and my AC checked. At 1 pm and hours of trying to see what was going on, I find out my compressor is out (they say it has a pinhole leak) I need a new one. But then I was informed it was not covered by the warranty and I will have to pay $1500 to repair it on a car I haven't even made the 4th payment on yet. I am livid. I have filed a complaint with consumer affairs.

On Saturday I got in my car it told me I need to change my oil. I reached out the dealer and come to find out, they had my car for 7.5 hours and did not change my oil which was the initial reason for me bringing my car in. I will never take my car to that service department (Atlanta West Kia) again unless I absolutely have to! I have never seen such poor service and this experience really has me rethinking ever buying another Kia. This is my 4th Kia. I can't imagine how my AC is not covered by the warranty on a brand new car that just now hit 10,000 miles! I am completely disgusted!!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I felt I needed to warn people about this dealer and this company. Back in July of 2019 my husband and I purchased 2 brand new Kia Sportage’s from this dealer. We were sick of leasing and wanted a affordable and reliable car, where we didn’t have to worry about repairs. A month later I receive a recall notice from Kia about the faulty engines and that I could have engine failure. They offered us a sensor that will warn us that the engine is about to blow. It stated that the car goes into this like airplane mode and that we had only so many miles to get it to a Kia dealers from them to honor any repairs to the engine. They stated that they would know how long you drove on it in that condition but there is no way for us to know. Furthermore they don’t tell you how long or how many miles you have before it blows. They just state to bring it in as soon as the sensor goes off.

I was so upset because I was not informed of this problem in which they were fully aware of when selling both cars. I did my research and there has been two class act lawsuits against them. One man even died. I certainly would have purchased them. First I went to the dealers to see if they would buy them be there was only like 1200 miles on each car, and we owed about $21 on each one. They offered us $16 for each. Now I have put up a lawyer in hopes that they do the right thing and take these cars back. I cannot and will not sell these death traps to anyone. I feel like we are hostage in our own cars because we cannot travel anywhere due to the unknown of what might happen. The worst part is that I have a escape plan set with me 6 & 7 year old in case of a blast or fire. ☹ So please you don’t have to believe me. Just do your research and you will see.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I love the value of this vehicle. The warranty can't be beat and the price is very reasonable. This is my first Kia and I have no complaints. My 2018 Sportage is a perfect car for myself and my family. Plenty of room. Durable interior.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have owned several makes and models, this car has been the best hands down on maintenance, replacement, recalls, passing inspection with no problems. It rides as well as when I first drove it off the car lot.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have had several recall items on my 2017 Kia Sportage. Any recall done has required a second trip to the dealership to repair their repair. My latest frustration is a blinking engine light that shuts me down and requires a tow. The first repair took 3 weeks. I only got a new harness and code entry to resolve this issue. My second blinking engine light and tow was resent in only a few days. Nonetheless, I have been stuck on the side of the road twice. On my first tow customer service treated me like a valued customer. On my second tow and contact to customer service I was advised I had used up my goodwill. Kia’s response being, “sorry”. I agree Kia is a sorry company. If you make a faulty product have some excellent customer service. I feel like a victim. Shame on you Kia. I am driving a car that I can’t rely on.

Kia Sportage Company Information

www.kia.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.