Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.30/5

Kia Sportage

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

189 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

2016 Kia Sportage is a nice car, dependable, easy to take care of and wonderful gas mileage. I love how far I can go on a tank of gas with this car. I love the OnStar and telephone through the car. I like the Headroom and the sporty look and it makes this old grandma feel sexy. I would definitely recommend this car to all my friends and this car is easy to haul around my pets and on a long trip. The price was in my range and I also like my payments. I love the color. It is a nice car to travel in and you have lots of legroom and it holds everything I need. But I dislike the insurance premiums for a new car. I would improve by lowering the premiums for insurance on this car. Other than that I might give it a little more gas mileage in a bigger gas tank.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had rented the car previously and enjoyed the experience, and I have had this vehicle since 2012. My overall experience has been outstanding. My KIA Sportage has proven to be dependable and a car I can count on. It is sturdy and drives steady on the roads, definitely not a light weight vehicle that's blown all over the road. The interior is pleasing to the eye with comfortable bucket seats and a dashboard that's easy to read and conveniently displayed. The backseat of the vehicle has ample space and plenty of leg room. The overhead of the cabin has enough height to feel roomy and not cramped. The trunk area of the car has plenty of space and there is additional space if you fold.

I liked the sporty look of the car while it still could be called a family car. I really liked the 'pick up and go' of the car and how responsive the braking and steering were. It was a fun car to drive and still made sense to own. I wasn't expecting that I would be able to afford the car and was very happy with the listed price. But, the GPS in the vehicle really sucks. It's not accurate and gives wrong directions and out of the way direction on a regular basis. KIA's GPS is undependable and has landed me in some dangerous neighborhoods on several occasions. It also tried to route me 300 miles out of my way on one occasion but I caught the err before anything happened. I've gotten into the habit now of connecting my iPhone to the KIA's Bluetooth and using my iPhone for directions. Much more accurate and something I can depend on.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought my 2005 Kia Sportage used in 2009 or 2010. It's a great car. Comfortable front and back, nice ride. I love everything about it. I could fit comfortably in the drivers seat and in the back seat. Very attractive shape and colors inside & out. Smooth, quiet ride. It has lots of little extras designed for driver and passenger comfort. Gas mileage is too high at 23 mpg highway though and 30 in town. It needed serious repair work at least 5 times and it left me and family stranded on the roadside 3 times. I had to have bought somebody's lemon. I would like to see cup holders placed better and some in the back seats. Also well placed grab bars to help one seat herself after she's climbed into the seat. Also something to hold a woman's purse so it is in reach but not on the floor.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The first time my husband told me to buy me a KIA Sportage as a Christmas gift I said to myself if it is a safe car; then I googled and it turned out that Kia Sportage is a really safe car and it is very cheap, which makes it more charming because we want to buy our own house and have more children. I have bought my Kia Sportage a few months ago and it is a super economic car and has lots of space to put the baby's stroller and all the bags and toys and baby food and diapers etc. I really enjoy driving it and to be honest I feel safe and sound. Not to mention it is so important to me and for my newborn baby the first. However, the color range was so narrow. I really wanted a more fun color but the seller told us that the company does not manufacture mint green or baby blue or light pink which made me so upset. Also, the luggage is very big but they could make it deeper.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We absolutely love our Kia Sportage, and would buy another one. It is stylish, comfortable, and rides well. It also gets great gas mileage. We are thinking of getting a second Kia, and we've told everyone we know how much we love ours! It is also very roomy. The seats fold down. It is a classy looking car. I love the 4 wheel drive too! It's easy to put it into 4 wheel drive and back out again. I also like the pricing, decent ratings, and crash test results. It has all of the features I wanted. Rear wiper, faub key, rear heater/vents. Though I do wish we had added the carrier rack. We also would've liked a tow package, and will plan on doing that soon. A little more tinting on the windows would've been nice also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Love the Sportage but the engine began ticking while on the interstate. Within minutes the ticking turning into local banging. No engine warning lights, nothing at all. Engine is blown. We have meticulously maintained this car and gave the records. 139K miles and it is now dead. Dealer diagnosed engine failure consistent with other recalled Kia/Hyundai motors but they refused to replace engine. Kia corporate (consumer affairs) was very helpful at first but as soon as the dealer confirmed a defective engine consumer affairs has gone silent. They do not return calls after at least 10 messages.

BEWARE of the 2.0L and the 2.4L Theta II engines. They are defective. Kia recalled only a small number of them. A large number are failing. Google "Kia engine failure" and start reading. Never ever buy a used Kia. Even replacement engines are failing. Don't expect Kia/Hyundai to stand behind their products. 131 complaints on NHTSA site on this specific make, year, and model.

Original review: May 3, 2019

2 problems I have with my Kia Sportage 2017. After a few months this happens and has been doing it inconsistently. When the car goes 40 miles an hour the rpm shoots up and I then put my foot on the gas pedal to the floor and nothing happens!!!! This can happen twice a day. Cannot happen for a week! Brought it to the dealer few times and they say well the engine light is not on they cannot do anything. They cannot figure out the problem when checking it out. They tell me to take a picture!! A joke!! Also the sunroof keeps slowing down and won't shut! I have to manually close it right now!! Will not get another Kia! It is leased.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought a 2013 KIA Sportage in 2015, paid cash for this vehicle because everyone raved how these vehicles are so good and dependable, had the vehicle for 3 yrs., and my engine blew. I was at a stop light and went to take off and my car sounded horrible, I pulled in to a gas station and called my brother and asked him what it was he replied shut it off your motor sounds blown. So I had to pay out of pocket to have it towed to the closet Kia dealership where they diagnosed my car as having a blown engine due to the bearings, and that my estimate was $5,768.90 to be fixed.

That’s when they told me about the recall for several different types of Kia's however unfortunately my engine isn't covered under the recall. Which after reading several other peoples complaints it doesn’t appear theirs is covered either. Which is confusing to ME!! Right now there are approximately 1.4 million Kia customers that are experiencing this same dilemma. And to find out Kia isn't going to help me replace my motor! I have taken care of my vehicle and have had it serviced FAITHFULLY EVERY 3,000 MILES.

I have went through every step there is through Kia to see about them adding my engine to the recall or some kind of “goodwill” assistance to cover this expense and they told me that my car has to many miles, or I’m the second owner, to you name it I’ve heard every excuse, My miles on this car is 139,864. And the recall claims unlimited miles. So explain that to me. I have had the run around from so many Kia employees at the customer assistance center it’s unreal. This is ridiculous. There are thousands and thousands of recalls for this issue, and Kia knew these motors were bad and still sold the vehicles.

For someone who is single like myself and rely on driving something dependable and can't afford something else or the outstanding amount for the repairs, Kia leaves me with nothing. Now do I not only have nothing to drive, have to gets rides to work, or borrow a vehicle, while still paying monthly insurance on my vehicle because I don’t want to be in trouble for having a vehicle in my name and not having insurance on it, but paying for something I can’t drive! Not to mention try to figure out how to come up with over 5, 000 dollars to fix this issue, Thank you Kia!!! I will never purchase another Kia again.

Something needs to be done about this issue not just for myself but all the other people who are going through the same thing I am. This is such a financial burden on me all the way around!!! And yet Kia does nothing. It shouldn’t matter how many miles I have on my car, or if there’s a warranty, they knew the engines were bad and still sold them anyway, I didn’t pay for a car or an engine that was only going to work for 3 years!!!! I tried to get a loan to replace the engine and nope who’s going to give me a loan for an engine. Back to square one.

UPDATE: as of the beginning of March 2019 Kia offered to pay half of my motor, they only paid 1,600 which sticks me with the remainder of the bill that I would like them to pay for. Not to mention because my engine blew my car sat for approx. 6 mo. waiting to get a motor, I ended up having to replace my brakes all the way around my car from sitting outside all winter long and my brakes were rusted and when I drove it they would stick. I’m still paying on a loan for 4,168.00 and not to mention the mental anguish for the whole situation because of having to take time off from work, and not having anything to drive, and having to borrow a vehicle to drive to get to work, due to the fault of Kia and their faulty engines.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Purchased by 2017 Sportage March 2017, December 2018 started getting bad vibration in the engine. March 2019 complete engine failure. New engine installation March 2019. Now it's April 2019 with only 4,000 miles on this engine cylinder 3 failure again. This has to be a bad design and Kia need to own up to it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

2015 Sportage. 38000 miles. Blown engine. We purchased this car for the warranty. It seemed to be a good fit for my wife to do shopping and small trips. Now we’re into renting a car. Waiting for the Generation Kia dealer to replace the blown motor. They did not provide me with a loaner car, I have to pay out of pocket to rent a car. (Co. office in California said they will reimburse for rental when it’s repaired.) ((I hope.)) There is no commitment from the dealer as to when this will be this will be resolved. Generation Kia. Bohemia, NY. R. M. W.

Original review: April 15, 2019

When going on a normal speed of 25-65 miles per hour the car will do the following:

Issue:

1. RPMS drop while trying to accelerate.
2. The car will jerk like something was hit.
3. Feels like the gears disengage and then reengage.

4. Coming out of a turn and accelerating it seems like it moves very slow.

I’ve taken the vehicle to Kia of Irvine, 45 Oldfield, Irvine, CA 92618, 3 times, plus once on the 11th of April which they claim they have fixed it (I will see). Plus called and spoke to the Service Mgr that the car was doing the issues mentioned above. The first the technician diagnosed that the transmission had to be reprogrammed. Well according to them the vehicle was reprogrammed. Then that was not the issue. They tested the vehicle again and it was determined the voltage of the battery was low. So, a new battery was purchased and installed by Kia of Irvine, 45 Oldfield, Irvine, CA 92618.

*Neither the reprogramming of the transmission and new battery has fixed the issue. * The issue has been ongoing. Then on the 4th of April 9, 2019 @ ABOUT 01045, the vehicle did the something mentioned above – going at 60 mph, the car jerked real bad. Reoccurrence of the issues mentioned above: March 26, 2019 – 2135 – vehicle had the issues above. April 9, 2019 – 01045 – vehicle had the issues above. April 9, 2019 – 12045pm – vehicle had the issues above. 4th attempt to fix the issue - On the 11th of April 15, 2019, the dealer in Irvine, Ca reprogrammed the transmission again for a second time. So, if the first time the tech reprogrammed the transmission, what makes them think that the second time will resolve the issue?

Original review: March 24, 2019

My 2018 KIA Sportage had a complete engine failure with just over 18,000 miles. The dealer says it could be months before they receive a new engine. I called my insurance carrier USAA and the girl I spoke with said I am the third person she has spoken within the last week with the exact same problem with a 2018 KIA Sportage engine and the person she last spoke with only had 17,000 miles on their 2018 KIA Sportage.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I bought a 2018 Kia Sportage less than a year ago. I bought it for four main reasons. Reported reliability (failed), Panoramic Sunroof (failed 2x), Warranty (they can't seem to fix anything), and the dealership's service agreement and extended warranty (dealer no longer exists). So, as you can see Kia has failed miserably with every single reason I chose to buy this car. At about 6K miles, the Sunroof stopped working and wouldn't close. The dealer (same one I bought it from) told me there was "nothing they could do to help me" and that I "should put it in a garage." Eventually they replaced the motor in it, but it still doesn't work. Closes part way and then reopens. I have to manually push it shut.

But, it gets better... At 17K miles it breaks down and goes into limp mode over an hour from my home. After an extraordinarily stressful and miserable time stuck on the side of the highway in the cold for over six hours. Kia tells me that IF it's a warranty issue, they will reimburse me (partially) for the car I had to rent. Now, three weeks later, Kia tells me they won't honor the lemon law (12K mile limit, though it's less than a year old) and they don't know when I will have it back. They have offered to reimburse my car payment for the downtime.

But here's the thing, they replaced the sunroof motor, and it still doesn't work, what on earth makes me believe that if they replace the engine in the car that it will work and that I won't be trapped on the side of a highway somewhere again? I can never trust this vehicle again. It is a lemon and Kia refuses to make it right by offering me a new one. I will never buy another Kia again, and as soon as this lemon is paid off, it's being traded in. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently purchased a 2014 Kia Sportage with very low mileage. It was - in APRIL- driving well. Mid November I noticed a strange noise and took it to 2 separate shop for diagnosis. The nearest certified Kia dealership is 3 hours away. The entire steering column had to be replaced. There was no way I could have safely driven it over windy, snowy icy roads to the dealership. I notified Kia customer service who said instead of having it fixed locally I should have paid the tow. How would I get to work? The company refused to reimburse me for required repairs in a vehicle still under warranty. A very bad experience. Both my daughter and I are getting rid of our Kias immediately.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Purchased a 2019 KIA Sportage in September 2018 and discovered after the purchase that KIA does not supply a jack and spare tire, just a mobile tire kit which consists of a compressor and tire sealant. If one was to get a flat tire which was not repairable, the mobile tire kit is useless. A tow would be require and that tow is only to a KIA dealership if it is under the roadside assistance option. That is only good if it is within the dealership's business hours, otherwise you will be stranded. Never would have purchased this vehicle if I had known that there was no jack or spare tire. I contacted KIA about the issue and they don't care. Love the vehicle but not KIA as a company. Once you have purchased the vehicle and they have your money, all caring stops. Would never purchase another KIA.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This small AWD Kia Sportage is a reliable vehicle and gets great gas mileage. It also has great safety ratings. I like the gas mileage that it gets, it does great in rain and snow, and the backup camera is a nice feature. It ride kind of rough and you can hear the road noise. I wish it drove a little smoother. Also, the backup camera screen which is also the radio screen needs to be tilted down a little. If you are driving with the sun directly down on you, it's difficult to see the screen.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I like the lumbar and heated seats, the higher ground clearance, the spacious room in the overall vehicle, and the hidden spot in the back of the vehicle. I have confidence driving with four wheel drive in the winter. The vehicle is easy to upkeep and gets approximately 30 miles to the gallon highway and expressway miles. Also, it's easier to find parking spaces because this car is small. But I would change the windshield wipers. It is weird as there is two different size wipers. Dealer could tell why, but it was the first thing that my husband noticed looking at the vehicle. And these wipers never gave me the clear view driving in raining or snowing weather. I have replaced the wipers and I cannot say those wipers were any better.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I have loved the Sportage. It is the perfect size and very comfortable. Fits everything I need with a little extra space and isn't too big. I like how well it does in the snow and ice and that it is all wheel drive. Gets good gas mileage. I would highly recommend this car to anyone. However, I would improve the side mirrors. They are very small and cause me to have some blind spots when lane changing. I also would add automatic seats and a better stereo system.

Original review: July 28, 2018

It used to be a brand I did not trust, had heard bad reviews about the brand back in the 1990s, but now I believe this Kia Sportage will be a safe and reliable one for my family to get from point a to point b. I am excited to experience a new freedom with Kia. There is a large trunk, nice spacious seating for kids. I am able to see all around from sitting up higher than in a sedan, it has a backup camera, very good safety ratings. However, I wish it had larger tires, look less like a minivan and more like a sports utility vehicle, all wheel drive for every vehicle, cup holders in the back seat, better gas mileage in the city.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Kia Sportage is a very good car. It is very reliable. People enjoy riding in it. I had fun driving in from Minnesota to the great state of Maine and New York. I did not get luggage racks on top of the car, which bums me out now. But it has a lot of great features. It is very spacious for luggage in the back compartment. It has sari which is very handy, and the radio is awesome because I can set four different stations. Cd player works great and easy to use. Cup holder is real cool. Gas mileage is great and car is very comfortable to drive.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Kia Sportage is a great model of a car that everyone should own one! I’ve had it for years and just recently we had to have work done of it. Great running car and we own 2 Kia's so far. Sunroof is the best thing about the car especially because we live in Florida! I’m giving my daughter my car because she’s starting to drive. I will be getting a new one sometime soon in the near future. But I’d like more room since I’m a single mom with 2 kids, they are always toting a lot of stuff. They take up a lot of room with their things plus my own. I wish the car lights were a little brighter to though!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have a 2012 Kia Sportage that has 101,000 miles on it and the motor went out today. Driving home on the interstate and all of sudden I hear a loud ticking noise and my "malfunction indicator" light comes in. I had to have the car towed and my mechanic says the motor is gone at 101,000... just 1000 miles out of warranty. This car has been extremely well taken care of with no problems ever. Of course, kia just wants me to buy a new car.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Kia Sportage is an amazing car with an outstanding warranty which covers around 95% of any eventuality. The car is sturdy, robust, has good all round visibility and 4 wheel drive and excellent in the snow. It's an ideal family car that's economical for its size and tows caravan easily. Servicing is not overly expensive and spare parts are very easy to get.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This is my second KIA Sportage. I lost my first 2012 model to Hurricane Harvey. Which was a shame because it was good as new and in good shape with low mileage. The drive is comfortable. It offers Sirius radio and the mileage is better than expected. I now have a 2018 model and am enjoying it very much.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage and it is all wheel drive which really limits the gas mileage. I get 20 - 22mpg but other than that, I've been very happy with it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have a 2014 KIA Sportage that I purchased in 2016. The car is 4 years old and I've owned it approximately 2 years to the day. I maintain the truck faithfully, however a week ago I hear a ticking and knocking noise. I take it to a reputable shop only to be told that it was my motor. Did I think it was my motor, no. I figured I was still under warranty since there is only 90,000 miles on the car but no. So now I have to pay over $3000 to have a new motor put in. I don't have that kind of money. Should I also say that my husband thinks it's my fault because he thinks that I wasn't maintaining the car until I showed him receipts. Kia needs to accept responsibility for bad motors.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I leased my 2014 Sportage and within a year my car needed a new engine with less than 20,000 miles on it. Then my gas tank meter went and then my Catalytic Converter went-remember this is a brand new vehicle with little to no miles on it. Of course everything was covered under warranty except each time they would find something that wasn't covered to get you to pay for something... Also, they took 2 payments out of my account and refused to refund me for one of them! Customer service is awful, they barely speak English and do not work with you. All they do is lie and when confronted they claim there is nothing they can do. Total BS! I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE ANOTHER KIA-even with my lease up in May 2018 and I MOST DEFINITELY WOULD NEVER REFER SOMEONE TO KIA FOR ANYTHING!!! This company should be ashamed of their product and employees!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had to take my KIA Sportage 2017 for oil change after hitting 5,000 miles as is always recommended. On the said day of service, the service tech recommended tire rotation as my car was hitting 20,000 miles which seemed reasonable to me. After the service was rendered and my car was pulled out to the sally port, I drove home but as I was sitting in my car, I decided to check my tire pressure just to make they had right psi. Apparently, I was amazed because my tire pressure were the same before the service and after the service which made me conclude that even the tire rotation was not done.

The worst case scenario was when I was driving from work from night shift and the temp had plummeted so bad, the roads were icy and the caution and tire pressure light came up and all my tires were blinking yellow because the tire pressure had fallen to a dangerously 25 psi. It was a miracle I made it home safe because the road conditions were terrible with zero traction. This left me wondering, how could it be possible that a new 2017 KIA Sportage could malfunction that bad within 3 days of service and yet I was charged $ 86.09 for both oil change and tire rotation. I regret everything abt KIA. As am writing, I have to get my car towed to the dealership.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

My 2017 Kia Sportage also caught on fire after I drove twenty miles after an oil change at the dealership. Kia or Kia dealership will take no responsibility for this! Apparently the wonderful warranty they give you does not cover a car with 14000 miles on it, 2017, I guess you take your chances of it not catching on fire because they give you nothing!!!! Also never had a problem with it and only had it serviced at the Kia dealership!!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a 1-year used 2011 Kia Sportage specifically because it had the 7 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty. The sales person at Stamford Kia knew I was impressed by the warranty but neglected to mention that the great warranty was NOT transferable. The dealership also refused to certify the car saying it cost too much. Their car never drove well and it was noisy. But I was operating under the assumption I was covered if anything major happened. Well, after 6 years and 87,000 miles the engine blew due to a piston. The car is not under warranty and the recalls for the 2011 Sportage do not include my vehicle. I've been the proud owner of a Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Lexus. Many of the cars lasting 13+ years and 160,000+ miles. NEVER have I had an engine die after 6 years! I would not recommend a Kia after my sudden loss of a car.

Kia Sportage Company Information