3.9/5 (375 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Kia Sportage

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Sportage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: May 21, 2022

I purchased a 2923 Kia Sportage Hybrid. There was something off in the way it rides. I checked my tires and there is a HUGE 9” weight on my front right tire. I called Good Year who told me a tire requiring that much weight should not be used. He also told me the tires on my SUV are basic passenger vehicle tires and not designed for the additional load of a top heavy vehicle (SUV). Kia refuses to address either issue and so does the dealer. So if you are buying a Kia, keep in mind that once you leave the dealer no one gives a ** and you are just considered an annoyance. My first and last Kia! Don’t make the same mistake.

Original review: May 13, 2022

If you own, lease, plan on buying, or know someone with a KIA vehicle, you're going to want to read our story. It's a cautionary tale that will make you re-evaluate your current opinions about KIA and what type of business they provide: So a few weeks ago, my husband, Hunter, was on his way to work. He was driving my 2013 KIA Sportage, in an effort for us to save some gas money with all the miles he drives for work.

As he was driving down I-85 South, the KIA stopped working as he was in the middle of the interstate...he had to navigate the vehicle across three lanes of traffic before being able to reach the shoulder....and I'm sure everyone knows what traffic gets like closer to Atlanta (fast, crazy, unpredictable). I cannot even imagine if it had been me and the kids, or even just me! I would have been terrified, as I'm sure Hunter was as well. He is safe though, that's not what this story is about.

So, Hunter calls me, I arrange a tow truck, he finds a ride to work, and the car is towed to a mechanic. I first tried to call KIA to see if I could have the vehicle towed to the dealership close to our house. I was informed that I had to have an appointment, and that their earliest appointment was in June! So, I called all the dealerships around us, there were like 4 or 5, and they all pretty much said the same thing, with the time frames varying slightly. So, I gave up on that avenue and just had the vehicle towed to the company our roadside assistance recommended. Couple days later, I get a call from the mechanic and they inform me that my engine has seized up, and I have to replace the ENTIRE MOTOR!! I was legit in shock!

How could a vehicle we've had for almost 10 years, that's never had ANY issues whatsoever, that's regularly serviced, that's given NO indication of there being an issue that should have been addressed, just have the engine seize up all of a sudden?! While my husband is driving down the interstate?! Again, I was in SHOCK! The quote I received from this mechanic was almost $8K for parts and labor.

So naturally, I'm not wanting to believe this information because it just seems so far-fetched! I then thanked the mechanic, paid their fee, and had it towed to another mechanic for a second opinion. They took a couple days to diagnose the vehicle and called and told me the same thing the first mechanic told me, that I needed to replace my entire engine. Their quote was like $7500ish. So better, but still, WHAT?! We in no way had that kind of money to just throw into a new engine on an almost 10 year old car, that's literally ALMOST PAID OFF? We couldn't, so we didn't.

We then paid a towing company to tow it back to our house, which cost almost $500. The first mechanic to diagnose my vehicle, was also kind enough to let me know that he thought there was a recall issued for my car's engine. So I looked into it, came across the recall that was issued, and it was for the EXACT issue we were having, the engine seizing up. The information also stated that it included my EXACT year, make, and model. What?! I was ecstatic! It seemed like there was light at the end of the tunnel! Nope!

I then called KIA to discuss how to go about getting your engine replaced under this recall, as this is something I've never had to do before. KIA informs me that I will not be getting my engine replaced under this recall as my VIN # wasn't tagged in the recall. I quite literally, still can't comprehend how that even matters when the recall was issued for my EXACT issue! So then, I asked about having the engine replaced through one of their good will claims (some info Hunter found out about). The woman then informs me that I'd have to have it towed to a local KIA dealership, in which my response to them was informing them the local dealership doesn't have an appointment until June. She informs me to call again and to tell them that I'm looking to start the process for a good will claim.

So I called the dealership again, told them about the good will claim, and was instructed that since my engine is inoperable, I could have had it towed straight there, appointment or not, and they would fit in the diagnostic between appointments. Seriously?! When I initially called about having it towed to your dealership, even after informing them of the inoperable engine, I was told I had to have an appointment. I mean why? So, we then had to pay yet ANOTHER tow company to have the vehicle towed from our house to the dealership.

About a week goes by, and I get a call from the dealership. I was informed diagnostics were done, the engine does need to be replaced, but that KIA is denying my good will claim. He was told it was denied because there were two other recalls listed for my vehicle and I didn't have them repaired prior to engine failure, so they can't approve my claim.

So I called KIA again. I explained that I was unaware of the other recalls until all this happened with the engine. KIA tells me they mailed us notices about the recalls, which is news to me...I have never even seen a recall notice in my mail. Ever. So, I verified the address they were sending them to, and was told our previous address, where we haven't lived in like 5 years. So I ask how could I be expected to have repairs done for recall notices I've never seen? I was told that I should have updated our address with them. I was unaware this was a thing to do...I've never updated the manufacturer of our address for any vehicle. Seems like a ridiculous requirement. So again I asked, how can I be required or expected to do something that I was completely unaware of?

This person couldn't matter of factly answer my questions, so I asked to be transferred to a superior, someone who could make this good will claim happen... because at this point, I feel like after all the misinformation, KIA should do it as a gesture of good faith and in an effort to keep a loyal customer. In talking with a superior, they informed me that they still couldn't approve the recall replacement, even with not knowing that repairs needed to be made. And that they still were denying my good will claim, even though I had no idea repairs needed to be made and with not receiving their recall notices. I then explained to this individual that KIA was mailing them to our previous address, to which she verifies the address and says that they mailed them to our current address (of which they were unaware of until I updated it in the previous conversation with them). I told her that information directly conflicted with what the previous person had told me.

She apologized and then re-verified all the information. At this point, I'm so incredibly frustrated. My car has been MIA for about two weeks during this point in time.....anyone with a family knows the stress in this kind of a situation. In any case, I asked to be transferred to a superior again, so I could figure out how and why I'm continually being told conflicting information. This person informs me that the previous person was correct, and that the recall notices were in fact being sent to our current address. I then asked how the first person I spoke with gave me our previous address when verifying where they were being mailed? He said he can view a different screen that the first person did not have access to. I asked why that is....I mean I was just verifying our address...I don't understand why I would HAVE to talk to multiple people before being able to verify my address? How would that make sense? That would be RIDICULOUS!!

I asked him to please go back and listen to the recorded conversations, to which he basically said something along the lines of: that wouldn't matter. I mean seriously, this is not a good look for KIA. I have been a loyal KIA consumer for almost 10 years. I preach to everyone about how amazing their warranty is and how much we loved the vehicle and how dependable ours was... I am still in disbelief over the entire situation... My car is still at the dealership as of today. I'm still not sure what we're going to do... Please share this story to warn your friends and family of the level of service they can expect from KIA. Kia #kiasucks #kiaengine #kiarecall #2013kiasportage #neveragain #TerribleBusiness #gettingafordnexttime #Fordisbetter

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Engine on Kia Sportage seized. I did not get an update done in 2018 (I probably did get a notice in 2018, but do not recall - I get so much junk mail from Kia....likely ignored). So, Kia will not cover the seized engine even though the updated would not have prevented the engine issue. Time to go shop for another vehicle - NOT a Kia or company associated with Kia.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Shop anywhere else but KIA. Got my car at KIA Wagner, MA less than 3 months ago and it is been on the shop for 5 days now, between there and Kia in Lancaster, MA for different issues. The car shutting off while driving twice, the car now doesn't lock or unlock, and they can't figure it out. Piece of junk!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

The engine on my 2013 Kia Sportage suddenly went out in the same exact way outlined in a recent recall on the 2013 Kia Sportage but Kia refuses to repair the engine. I tried contacted the corporation directly with no resolve. They basically said by phone that my car is out of warranty so I’d have to pay for the engine myself at $10,000 to replace! I researched this vehicle for months before I purchased it, now I am regretful in my purchase from Kia!

Original review: May 22, 2020

My 2013 Kia Sportage started having issues in the winter of 2018. It was lagging and making grinding sounds. Finally after many contacts Kia replaced the Engine with a brand new one in February of 2019 advising me that there were metal shavings in the engine that were basically their fault. The engine was fully replaced. Then a check engine light came on 5/2020 and the code was mechanical failure. Full failure of the engine they supplied me with. And as it was 15 months it was beyond the one year of the warranty. And customer service said they could do nothing for us. So Kia makes the manufacturing error, replaces the engine with one that fails and doesn’t stand up to their product. I have a car that is worthless and none of it is our fault. I would never buy another Kia again. This is not how a company should stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I purchased my 2020 Kia Sportage the end of October 2019. Obviously that is winter and I haven't had to use my AC. At Christmas I went to South GA and it was hot, I turned on the AC it was blowing hot air. I didn't feel I need to run down to the dealer (Atlanta West Kia) to it repaired since it should be covered by the warranty and its winter, I thought I would have them look at it when I took it in for an oil change. I took my car on Friday (01/24/2020) and dropped off at the dealer to have the oil changed and my AC checked. At 1 pm and hours of trying to see what was going on, I find out my compressor is out (they say it has a pinhole leak) I need a new one. But then I was informed it was not covered by the warranty and I will have to pay $1500 to repair it on a car I haven't even made the 4th payment on yet. I am livid. I have filed a complaint with consumer affairs.

On Saturday I got in my car it told me I need to change my oil. I reached out the dealer and come to find out, they had my car for 7.5 hours and did not change my oil which was the initial reason for me bringing my car in. I will never take my car to that service department (Atlanta West Kia) again unless I absolutely have to! I have never seen such poor service and this experience really has me rethinking ever buying another Kia. This is my 4th Kia. I can't imagine how my AC is not covered by the warranty on a brand new car that just now hit 10,000 miles! I am completely disgusted!!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I felt I needed to warn people about this dealer and this company. Back in July of 2019 my husband and I purchased 2 brand new Kia Sportage’s from this dealer. We were sick of leasing and wanted a affordable and reliable car, where we didn’t have to worry about repairs. A month later I receive a recall notice from Kia about the faulty engines and that I could have engine failure. They offered us a sensor that will warn us that the engine is about to blow. It stated that the car goes into this like airplane mode and that we had only so many miles to get it to a Kia dealers from them to honor any repairs to the engine. They stated that they would know how long you drove on it in that condition but there is no way for us to know. Furthermore they don’t tell you how long or how many miles you have before it blows. They just state to bring it in as soon as the sensor goes off.

I was so upset because I was not informed of this problem in which they were fully aware of when selling both cars. I did my research and there has been two class act lawsuits against them. One man even died. I certainly would have purchased them. First I went to the dealers to see if they would buy them be there was only like 1200 miles on each car, and we owed about $21 on each one. They offered us $16 for each. Now I have put up a lawyer in hopes that they do the right thing and take these cars back. I cannot and will not sell these death traps to anyone. I feel like we are hostage in our own cars because we cannot travel anywhere due to the unknown of what might happen. The worst part is that I have a escape plan set with me 6 & 7 year old in case of a blast or fire. ☹ So please you don’t have to believe me. Just do your research and you will see.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought the car used in mid Just. I do a lot of driving, car has been great. Just had our 1st Major snow storm. AWD worked great. Got me through the sleet and snow. So far I've put close to 14000 miles on the car. Very satisfied. Averaging close to 25mpg, 27 to 28 on long highway runs.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

In 35+ years of car ownership, I have only paid off 1 car. Usually I get tired of them, something bothers me about them, mechanical problems etc. Until I got my Kia Sportage. Almost 6 years later, 3 payments away from payoff and I just bought a new set of 65,000 mile tires. There's nothing I don't like about this car. And even when I see newer models, I don't like the look as much as my own. I would highly recommend the Kia Sportage for safety, reliability and ease of ownership!

Kia Sportage Company Information