3.48/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Sportage

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Sportage Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have had several recall items on my 2017 Kia Sportage. Any recall done has required a second trip to the dealership to repair their repair. My latest frustration is a blinking engine light that shuts me down and requires a tow. The first repair took 3 weeks. I only got a new harness and code entry to resolve this issue. My second blinking engine light and tow was resent in only a few days. Nonetheless, I have been stuck on the side of the road twice. On my first tow customer service treated me like a valued customer. On my second tow and contact to customer service I was advised I had used up my goodwill. Kia’s response being, “sorry”. I agree Kia is a sorry company. If you make a faulty product have some excellent customer service. I feel like a victim. Shame on you Kia. I am driving a car that I can’t rely on.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Kia Sportage in Jan 2018. About three weeks ago, the brakes began to make a noise while driving. The noise would subside when the brakes were applied. I took it to the Kia dealer who informed me that the front brake pads and rotors need to be replaced due to wear from excessive rust. I find that explanation to be absurd for a number of reasons. I did not observe any rust on the brake pads or rotors ( i took photos) and I doubt that rust is abrasive enough to cause wear. Ferrous oxide is not very hard compared to the material of which brake pads and rotors are made. After failed attempts to reach the kia Factory representative, I filed a complaint via the Kia Consumer Assitance Center, but have had no response. I have purchased an extended warranty in addition to the 10 year, 100,000 mile factory warranty, however, brakes are not covered. BEWARE of this VEHICLE and the KIA's lack of concern for their customer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I have a 2017 Sportage with 60,800 miles. The heater does not work, only cold air comes out, and the driver's side rear door won't open. The locks open and close but the door won't open. I brought it in to my local Kia Service and because I am over my warranty by 800 miles, I will have to pay over $1200 to repair both problems. I have NEVER had a 3 year old vehicle that has had these types of issues. I have filed a case with Kia Consumer Affairs and am waiting on their decision.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I am a 67 year old grandmother. I leased the 2017 Sportage thinking it would be a safe vehicle to transport my grandchild in. I began to question my decision upon hearing of the numerous spontaneous engine fires in Kia vehicles. I eventually turned the car in 3 months early. I made the payments for the months I didn't have it. The car was in mint condition with a little over 5000 miles on it. I was allowed 36000 miles for the 3 year lease. Imagine my surprise when I got a $427 bill three months later! I called Kia Motors to ask what the charge was for. It was a "lease termination" charge. I am so sorry I leased a Kia vehicle. I will never deal with Kia Motors again. Lessee Beware!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I love driving my 2017 Kia Sportage. It handles very well and has a lot of nice features. The dealerships have been great taking care of any problems we have had and keeping us notified of any recalls that need attention. A problem I have been experiencing is the location of the rear turn signal indicators. I live in an area where folks like to drive near the bumper of the vehicle in front of them. Due to the signals being so low and wrapping around the side of the Sportage, the driver following cannot see the signal when engaged...especially in the day time hours. I have been nearly hit from behind multiple times and several have even passed me when I was in the process of making the left turn. Trying to change lanes when the roads are packed with other commuters is also hard to accomplish due to the signal not being noticed.

If the turn indicator could be integrated into the brake light, it could be seen by everyone...no one seems to pay attention to anything below the license plate and near the bumper. This is a safety issue and a design flaw. I called the Kia consumer affairs department and all they said was the design team would be notified...I do not feel that was a satisfying answer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

OKAY I believe Kia customers support line was ridiculous!!! They need to retrained they’re employees on giving information telling them that Kia will cover something for you when you have full coverage warranty and then go around saying they won’t!! I’ve been dealing with my case for month and half now and Kia still won’t cover it!! What’s the put of having warranty when they do nothing for you!! In my eye I believe with that employee on the phone telling me kia will cover the bill that Kia should still cover it since your employer is telling customer wrong information but now they’re saying it denied.. Very RIDICULOUS!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Was driving on highway and motor lost power (very dangerous, thank God I was not with my kids!) and noticed weird noise from motor. Took to Kia and seems to be the bearings. Known issue on Sorento with same motor however since out of warranty and no recall for the Sportage, I was quoted $7000 to fix. Called Kia Canada and got the cold shoulder. Not happy. I take care of my car and is like new. No reason for motor to go.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have a 2018 Kia Sportage and love it except for the driver's seat which has become uncomfortable over the past several months. It feels like I am sitting on metal after a short while. I have had it for 18 months. Otherwise, it is a great car.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Have a '17 Kia Sportage that just rolled 100k and the motor burned up. And Kia Is saying that it's not their fault because when clearly the engine is junk. No way a motor should die in less than 3 years. Don't buy a Kia. They won't stand behind it.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Love the Sportage but the engine began ticking while on the interstate. Within minutes the ticking turning into local banging. No engine warning lights, nothing at all. Engine is blown. We have meticulously maintained this car and gave the records. 139K miles and it is now dead. Dealer diagnosed engine failure consistent with other recalled Kia/Hyundai motors but they refused to replace engine. Kia corporate (consumer affairs) was very helpful at first but as soon as the dealer confirmed a defective engine consumer affairs has gone silent. They do not return calls after at least 10 messages.

BEWARE of the 2.0L and the 2.4L Theta II engines. They are defective. Kia recalled only a small number of them. A large number are failing. Google "Kia engine failure" and start reading. Never ever buy a used Kia. Even replacement engines are failing. Don't expect Kia/Hyundai to stand behind their products. 131 complaints on NHTSA site on this specific make, year, and model.

Kia Sportage Company Information