2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV that's available in three different trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Sportage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sportage?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought the car used in mid Just. I do a lot of driving, car has been great. Just had our 1st Major snow storm. AWD worked great. Got me through the sleet and snow. So far I've put close to 14000 miles on the car. Very satisfied. Averaging close to 25mpg, 27 to 28 on long highway runs.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

In 35+ years of car ownership, I have only paid off 1 car. Usually I get tired of them, something bothers me about them, mechanical problems etc. Until I got my Kia Sportage. Almost 6 years later, 3 payments away from payoff and I just bought a new set of 65,000 mile tires. There's nothing I don't like about this car. And even when I see newer models, I don't like the look as much as my own. I would highly recommend the Kia Sportage for safety, reliability and ease of ownership!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I love the value of this vehicle. The warranty can't be beat and the price is very reasonable. This is my first Kia and I have no complaints. My 2018 Sportage is a perfect car for myself and my family. Plenty of room. Durable interior.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have owned several makes and models, this car has been the best hands down on maintenance, replacement, recalls, passing inspection with no problems. It rides as well as when I first drove it off the car lot.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I really love my Kia. It runs well and smooth. I love the color. It is called Black Cherry so it is black with red sparkly bits in it. Very pretty when it is clean. It gets really good gas mileage, especially on the highway. I would recommend it to anyone. I do think anyone with teenage children would benefit as well. Good vehicle, lower insurance rates and good gas mileage. Would be a good reliable vehicle.

Original review: May 22, 2020

My 2013 Kia Sportage started having issues in the winter of 2018. It was lagging and making grinding sounds. Finally after many contacts Kia replaced the Engine with a brand new one in February of 2019 advising me that there were metal shavings in the engine that were basically their fault. The engine was fully replaced. Then a check engine light came on 5/2020 and the code was mechanical failure. Full failure of the engine they supplied me with. And as it was 15 months it was beyond the one year of the warranty. And customer service said they could do nothing for us. So Kia makes the manufacturing error, replaces the engine with one that fails and doesn’t stand up to their product. I have a car that is worthless and none of it is our fault. I would never buy another Kia again. This is not how a company should stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I purchased my 2020 Kia Sportage the end of October 2019. Obviously that is winter and I haven't had to use my AC. At Christmas I went to South GA and it was hot, I turned on the AC it was blowing hot air. I didn't feel I need to run down to the dealer (Atlanta West Kia) to it repaired since it should be covered by the warranty and its winter, I thought I would have them look at it when I took it in for an oil change. I took my car on Friday (01/24/2020) and dropped off at the dealer to have the oil changed and my AC checked. At 1 pm and hours of trying to see what was going on, I find out my compressor is out (they say it has a pinhole leak) I need a new one. But then I was informed it was not covered by the warranty and I will have to pay $1500 to repair it on a car I haven't even made the 4th payment on yet. I am livid. I have filed a complaint with consumer affairs.

On Saturday I got in my car it told me I need to change my oil. I reached out the dealer and come to find out, they had my car for 7.5 hours and did not change my oil which was the initial reason for me bringing my car in. I will never take my car to that service department (Atlanta West Kia) again unless I absolutely have to! I have never seen such poor service and this experience really has me rethinking ever buying another Kia. This is my 4th Kia. I can't imagine how my AC is not covered by the warranty on a brand new car that just now hit 10,000 miles! I am completely disgusted!!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I felt I needed to warn people about this dealer and this company. Back in July of 2019 my husband and I purchased 2 brand new Kia Sportage’s from this dealer. We were sick of leasing and wanted a affordable and reliable car, where we didn’t have to worry about repairs. A month later I receive a recall notice from Kia about the faulty engines and that I could have engine failure. They offered us a sensor that will warn us that the engine is about to blow. It stated that the car goes into this like airplane mode and that we had only so many miles to get it to a Kia dealers from them to honor any repairs to the engine. They stated that they would know how long you drove on it in that condition but there is no way for us to know. Furthermore they don’t tell you how long or how many miles you have before it blows. They just state to bring it in as soon as the sensor goes off.

I was so upset because I was not informed of this problem in which they were fully aware of when selling both cars. I did my research and there has been two class act lawsuits against them. One man even died. I certainly would have purchased them. First I went to the dealers to see if they would buy them be there was only like 1200 miles on each car, and we owed about $21 on each one. They offered us $16 for each. Now I have put up a lawyer in hopes that they do the right thing and take these cars back. I cannot and will not sell these death traps to anyone. I feel like we are hostage in our own cars because we cannot travel anywhere due to the unknown of what might happen. The worst part is that I have a escape plan set with me 6 & 7 year old in case of a blast or fire. ☹ So please you don’t have to believe me. Just do your research and you will see.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have had several recall items on my 2017 Kia Sportage. Any recall done has required a second trip to the dealership to repair their repair. My latest frustration is a blinking engine light that shuts me down and requires a tow. The first repair took 3 weeks. I only got a new harness and code entry to resolve this issue. My second blinking engine light and tow was resent in only a few days. Nonetheless, I have been stuck on the side of the road twice. On my first tow customer service treated me like a valued customer. On my second tow and contact to customer service I was advised I had used up my goodwill. Kia’s response being, “sorry”. I agree Kia is a sorry company. If you make a faulty product have some excellent customer service. I feel like a victim. Shame on you Kia. I am driving a car that I can’t rely on.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Kia Sportage in Jan 2018. About three weeks ago, the brakes began to make a noise while driving. The noise would subside when the brakes were applied. I took it to the Kia dealer who informed me that the front brake pads and rotors need to be replaced due to wear from excessive rust. I find that explanation to be absurd for a number of reasons. I did not observe any rust on the brake pads or rotors ( i took photos) and I doubt that rust is abrasive enough to cause wear. Ferrous oxide is not very hard compared to the material of which brake pads and rotors are made. After failed attempts to reach the kia Factory representative, I filed a complaint via the Kia Consumer Assitance Center, but have had no response. I have purchased an extended warranty in addition to the 10 year, 100,000 mile factory warranty, however, brakes are not covered. BEWARE of this VEHICLE and the KIA's lack of concern for their customer.

Kia Sportage Company Information