2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.8/5 (225 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Kia Forte

The Kia Forte is an affordable compact sedan. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Forte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?

Original review: May 21, 2021

2012 Forte Ex 2.0 I4. Premature Rod/main bearing failure. Same engine in multiple Kia models that is a part of an engine replacement recall. Kia tells me to kick rocks and that my vin isn’t in the selected range. Kia asked for oil change receipts and I asked how many oil changes could I have performed to clear all of the metal debris from the engine. They won’t answer and will talk very condescending to you to draw a negative response from you! Stephan and Michael (Kia Corporate case managers.) I also have a 2020 Optima with less than 15 thousand miles and guess what... Engine Knock!! Not only do they refuse to fix their manufacturing failures, they stated they could care less if I ever drive or buy a Kia again!! There you have it, buy anything but Kia!!! I will definitely be getting rid of this Optima for a new Toyota! STAY AWAY FROM KIA/STAY AWAY FROM KIA. THEIR ENGINES ARE TRASH AND THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

Bought a 2015 Forte CPO. It's been nothing but a nightmare. First when I bought it from Monroeville Kia, they put my wipers on wrong and the blades came out and scratched my windshield and paint. They promised to take care of it, but when the time came they couldn't buff the windshield because it's illegal, and they refused to replace it. Funny thing was, when I got the car home after they "Fixed" it, the wiper blades was coming out to once again damage my windshield and paint. I ended up giving up with Kia corporate and the dealership and having my brother fix the wipers for me and just have had a scratched windshield the whole time I've had the car. Scratched literally from one side of the windshield to the other, which is absolutely obnoxious. I tried to brush it off because this was my first time buying such a new car, and I didn't want to admit I had made a very bad choice.

Flash forward to Jan 13 2021. The car has had all its maintenance done on time and even earlier and despite a pretty long commute, I still am consider a low mileage driver, so I really tried to take care of my car. We're tight on money and this year I finally decided to go back to school to better my situation. Clearly my Kia thought different of my idea to temp while I'm in college again because the car engine seized at 67,000 miles, just over the original warranty as the woman on the phone pointed out, on the highway. I had cars coming up on me blowing their horn while I panicked trying to figure out how to get the car into a parking lot. Looking back, probably not a good idea to push a car with a hernia, but what else are you suppose to do when your car breaks down with no warning lights on a busy highway? I get it to the parking lot and get Triple A to tow me to our private mechanic.

After getting it to the mechanic I started researching right away what could have happened to my car, pretty much out of desperation because I'm not exactly rich enough to pay for major repairs. I started finding out that this is a common problem not just among fortes but Kia in general. I called my mechanic and told him not to touch the car since we changed our mind and wanted to bring it to the dealership.

After towing it a second time, we got it to Jim Shorkey Dealership for a Monday appt. On Tuesday I didn't hear anything so I called to check. They had a mix up and didn't even know the car was already there. Appt was rescheduled for Wed. Once again Thursday I heard nothing so I call in. They say the engine is knocking and is done. I asked them about the potential recall. They tell me they didn't know what I was talking about. They advised using my 3rd party warranty. I asked if we should wait until they release the vin in a few days for the recall, they tell me no because I only have so much time to make a warranty claim. I said okay. Friday I get a call I need to call the 3rd party warranty and have them go over the contract with me.

I'm talking to the warranty company and let them know what's going on with the recall and he asks why I wouldn't just wait the few days until the recall is announced to avoid potential charges if the warranty won't cover the engine, one of my biggest concerns. I explain the time limit for filing. He tells me I have no limit and can file the warranty at any time! Basically they lied so I would use to warranty and I found out later by that date corporate had sent the dealerships all the info about the recall, just not the vins affected. So I call Jim Shorkey back to let them know to wait for the recall.

Now I had to wait and finally I was able to pull the car up via vin about a week later. I call the dealership and they check the vin and start the process of the recall. About 6 days later I get a call I can finally pick up a loaner car which couldn't have come at a better time because I had been out of work the whole time my car was down. I pick up the loaner and didn't hear from Kia/dealership for weeks. Until today, I had a voicemail from them and think, finally my car is ready. It's been a nightmare because I can't have the dogs in the loaner, couldn't bring my dogs to the vet. One was really sick and needed put down and we couldn't take him to see anybody or go anywhere and had to find a mobile vet.

I've been wanting to travel to see family and feel like I can't because I need to be around to turn the loaner in if my car ever got done. Ect. Well to my surprise its the dealership asking me to authorize charges because my rotors are now bad from the car sitting for so long waiting for the new engine. Rotors I had just replaced 6 months ago. Rotors that should not being having any warping. I go to call jim ** back and get the answering machine. I've gotten no call back from them.

My next step was to call Kia corporate. Certainly they will care that the dealership damaged my car while it was being repaired for the faulty engine they put in it. Lol. Joking. Of course they don't care. I talked to the eastern regional manager, Michael J. Now I will admit I'm huffy because I haven't had my car now for two months. Lost income. Paid to tow it twice (over $200 I was 35 miles away from home on a toll road when it seized the first time). Have to make arrangements to take my dogs to the vet, had to spend extra on a mobile vet because I wasn't allowed to put my sick dog in my loaner car, and this regional manager has the nerve to tell me I should be grateful they're replacing the engine and it's not his fault the dealership didn't move the car and the rotors are now damaged.

Hmmm. Let me say thank you to NHTSA for suing Kia and forcing them to recall and replace my engine and bring my car up to a proper safety standard. Kia would have never replaced the engine if their hand wasn't forced. I know this because I called them before the vins were released and all I heard was how I was just over my warranty. I also don't know who to blame for the rotors being damaged because yes, the dealership should have been moving the car to keep parts from sitting, but it's also easier to move a car with an engine that works and if that was the case the car would have never sat in the first place.

I'm sure when I finally talk to the dealership, because I haven't, I have no idea what's going on with the rotors, how damaged they are, or anything and who knows when I will actually talk to them because communication has been zip pretty much, but I'm sure the next thing they will say is, "Oh your battery is bad from the car not being started as well," something else I just replaced brand new this summer. In the end I hope some of you will refrain from buying a Kia. Avoid the nightmare that is their staff and improperly and unsafely built cars that is their product and I hopefully I can stop someone from experiencing the headache I've now had to endure for months.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Had winter tires changed over to be told my rear brakes needed to be replaced because they are "so corroded" at 13,000km. Owner refused to have them warrantied. Went to another Kia dealer to be told they won't warranty them and go back to other dealer. Call Kia head office and told to go back to same dealer.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have a 2014 Kia with 50000 miles it started to use some oil so I took it to the dealership that it was purchased at. They preformed a oil test 3 times and told me that nothing was wrong that Kia just makes bad engines and they do use oil. My granddaughter was driving only about 100 miles a week and now it uses 2 quarts a week. I put in a complaint with Kia and they closed the ticket without making contact with me. I then emailed the top executive at Kia and never heard back from him either. Do yourself a favor and if you are thinking about buying a Kia don’t do it as you will have regrets.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I’ve leaded 3 Kia Fortes since 2014. My first was a 2015 and I LOVED it! Traded it in at the end for a 2018 Forte, duh. Some annoying problems with the 2018 included heat that took 27 minutes to start every time you got in, fluid sensors didn’t work correctly, and the Sirius satellite radio wouldn’t work on rainy days. It would say “Satellite Start-Up Error”. Service department had never seen that message before dealing with my car... many times. (Service department was always excellent & responsive, though!) The car ended up getting new fluid sensors, new engine thermostat and 2 new Sirius radios. Then I noticed a leak. I had it at that point! The car always drive really well but there was always one annoying issue after another during the 1 1/2 yrs I had it. I got the dealership to take my lease back and they gave me a 2019 model instead. Yay! So I thought...

Serious problem now. I’ve had it 5 months, just hit 3,800 miles, and my car lost it’s transmission when I got on the freeway on Saturday. It began on backroads first. The car was shaking as it hit 1,000 rpms, then started shaking each time it hit 2,000 rpms, then I merged onto the highway and the rpms went out of control, jumping to 6-8 rpms with barely any pressure on the gas pedal and no acceleration. I barely made it to an exit ramp since I couldn’t get above 15 mph. Scary. Kia Roadside Assistance was great and towed to closest dealership. Dealership said yes, it’s the transmission. However, it’s been 3 days and this dealersip could care less about getting me a loaner or rental. My own dealership said these guys should definitely be finding me a car but nothing so far...

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

The insurance rates are double the VW Jetta and very unsafe. I began driving my Kia Forte a couple weeks ago and must say it’s the biggest mistake I have made in a long time. The lane assist is extremely dangerous. The car tried to correct me into parked cars as I passed the coming down 5th Street mountain in Emmaus, PA. It finally succeeded in pulling me off of my driveway and into a small pile of rocks. The impact was at 5 to 10 mph and the rock that did the damage was about 150 lbs. This little impact caused over $ 3000 in damage. The front bumper covers shattered and the radiator was leaking.

I am very worried about being stuck driving this car for the next 3 years of my lease. Especially since I transport my two young daughters frequently. Please don’t be fooled to think the lane assist is safe and don’t believe the sales people when they tell you that KIA have very little problems. And as far as insurance rates. You should buy a better slightly more expensive car and the lower rates will off-set. I am so disappointed and wish I could terminate my lease.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

My wife and I bought a 2017 Forte lx in August of 2019, and have never felt like we made a bad decision. Great power from the engine, responsive and an overall joy to drive. We were in the market 6 months later to replace my car now and we couldn’t shake the feeling like we were making mistake looking at any other car company besides Kia. So, three days ago we got another Forte to match!!! Never thought I would like a Korean car with a Vtec Mitsubishi engine that was assembled in Mexico!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Bought a Kia Forte 2019 lxs in May just over 4,000 miles and car starts grinding and rpms go sky high but when you press the gas car doesn't want to go. The car was not like this when I bought it. They tell me this is how a cvt transmission is then why wasn't it doing this when I bought it, not happy with their saying nothing is wrong, every time it does it I will take it back I see to many people have complaints of the same nature, same year to

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Bought this car new less than 2 months ago. Shortly after 3000 miles the transmission stops pulling. It's with the dealer now for a replacement but I've lost confidence in the manufacturing. Don't want another KIA... ever again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Beware: Our teenage daughter bought her first new car with her own hard earned money. It’s been in the shop for 4-5 months out of approximately 18 months for transmission issues. Once this new transmission goes in, it will be the 3rd transmission in 21,000 miles! First one went at 3,000 miles. 2nd one went 18,000 miles later. We don’t feel as though this car is safe for her to drive anymore but we can’t afford to eat the $10,000 that she has invested of her own money! She made a large down payment on her 16th birthday so needless to save this makes us sick. Not to mention the unsafety of this vehicle! Both times it completely went while it was being driven to the point that she almost couldn’t make it home. It was very scary for her!

Kia Forte Company Information