Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.46/5

Kia Forte

The Kia Forte is an affordable compact sedan. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

78 Kia Forte Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Please don't let these negative reviews convince you, the Kia Forte is a very reliable car. I bought a 2012 Forte EX brand new. I now have 125,000 miles on it. I do oil changes every 3,000 miles, replace the brakes every 50,000, tires every 70,000, and I changed the sparkplugs at 100,000 as a precaution. I never did any of the required maintenance or tune ups and my car runs like new. I expect to drive this into the ground and expect it to last at least until 250,000 to 300,000 miles. Thank you Kia for making a great vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love Kia Forte. It has been very reliable and it fits both of my children comfortably. Also, the trunk space is very big and can fit a ton of stuff back. It is a helpful feature with two children. I like that it is automatic and that the locks and windows are automatic too. I also enjoy the Sirius radio option. But I don't like that the seats are a cream color, also that there is no heated seats. I don't like that it didn’t come with a key fob as well as I have to manually unlock the car every time I lock it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Kia Forte, the size, the feel. I love driving it. It makes me feel young. It's a beautiful color, charcoal grey with a cute little antenna on the top. Just the right size car for me. I'd buy it again. I love the back up camera and my satellite radio. I love my oldies. It gets great gas mileage. Makes me want to go on a long trip. I could drive it for 6 straight hours just listening to my Sirius FM radio. It's not such a comfortable driving car though and I don't like the seat coverings. They look a little cheap. The seats are comfortable but stain easy. A nice heavy vinyl or even leather would be great. They would also clean better.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Kia Forte has great gas mileage, lots of space providing a comfortable traveling experience. Power windows Locks, automatic transmission. Also, great stability and traction control. I live in northern MN and winters we get a lot of snowfall and the vehicle has no problems in deep snow with only front wheel drive! Feel and rides smooth over rough roads in Minnesota winters and quiet no outside noise cab is soundproof. Great car overall. The stereo comes standard with a built in hard drive to record music off of CDs and play them with the cd safely in the case. First car I have ever owned with that option.

Hands free calling VIA Bluetooth! Power wind, slapstick shifter! The seats are very comfortable, Gas is inexpensive fill up. From empty under for around 30.00 us dollars and get an average of 450 miles to a full tank for around 25 city MPGs and 30 Highway MPGs. But some of the plastic molding inside the car has fallen off and better installment would fix that. I have gotten several flat tires on this vehicle and it did not come with a spare tire just some fix a flat and tire pump you plug into the lighter. Very slow and annoying being stuck on side of road trying to refill the flat with that crap. Stop being cheap and put a spare in the trunk.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My Kia Forte is a great car. It is the favorite one I have had out of my previous three cars. It was white and looked cute. There is a recall on the taillight that was an inconvenience though. Also, I don't like the two doors. I wish the car did not have cloth seats. The crevasses are very hard to vacuum and clean out. I want more space to store things in as well. But, I like the sunroof and Bluetooth audio. The automatic steering is ideal. The radio has a CD player and a good radio FM signal. The battery is good and hasn't yet had to be replaced. The car is easy to drive and the steering wheel moves with ease. I really like the trunk space in the car. I also enjoy the sound system in the car. The car is low to the ground and is good on gas. The seats are spacious and not too crowding. I enjoy the big windows that roll down. The back windshield is large and easy to see out of. The side mirrors make it easy for the driver to view their blind spot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Forte Koup SX in 2016. The car had 16000 miles. I had done research and was excited when I found this car. I loved the car, at first. Started experiencing loss of power. Car would not accelerate. The navigation display just quit working one day. At about 66000 miles I had gotten off the freeway to get gas. I noticed the loss of power. Usually shutting off the car would remedy the problem. But after getting gas I headed back to the freeway. I noticed smoke so I pulled off, got out and did a walk around, didn't see anything. Popped the hood, nothing to cause concern.

I continued, I looked in the rearview mirror and smoke just billowing. No warning lights on the dash, the car was still driving. Once I got off the freeway and got parked then engine light came on and the smoke was coming from both exhausts. Called the dealership. They automatically asked if it was an Optima. They were surprised to hear it was the Koup. After the dealership having it for over a month to replace the turbo. A bolt that that holds the turbo had spun off. The engine light is still on. A code that reads Over Advanced Cam is still coming up. They did replace the display and was determined that it was faulty. Very disappointed and many more details that can't be covered here.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I love my 2017 Kia Forte LX!! As of this writing my Forte is about 2 years olds with 50,000 miles and counting. I average 42 mpg about 90% hwy miles. I've only done normal maintenance and a tire change. I really, truly love this car and fully intend to drive it for the next 10 years.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We purchased a 2018 Kia Forte in July of 2018, everything was going good with the car, until about 3 months ago. I noticed that I keep smelling coolant, so I tried to find out where the leak was. After looking for several days I found the leak. I had to take it back to the dealership and have the radiator replaced, at this time the car had less than 23000 miles on it. So last night I stop to fill my tank up after leaving work (I only use EXXON or Mobil1 gas as they are the same), filled the tank, got in the car started the engine and the engine light came on. The car has less than 25000 miles on it and already I have had 2 separate warranty issues.

I have contacted Kia Motors USA to start a file on the vehicle because I just have a sneaky suspicion that I will only have more issues with the vehicle. My main concern is that something major will happen once the warranty has expired and I'll be stuck paying for a major repair. My advice is buy another more reliable vehicle. Good Luck if you buy the 2018 Kia Forte.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased 2018 Kia Forte with 16000 miles from used car dealer in Chantilly, VA on April 26, 2019. It failed MD State inspection. Inspector found cracks due in all four Rotors. I contacted two of the Kia dealers (one in Bowie and 2nd in Bel Air). Both dealers refused to accept that it is covered under warranty. Cost to replace the rotors is $750.00 per inspection station. I will never recommend to buy this car.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have a 2012 Kia Forte Koup. Has 133K miles that I made sure to keep in great condition, my car looks brand new. Well last week as my husband and I were driving to Apple Valley which was almost a 2 hr drive... the exit before we were going to get off the freeway my car started acting weird losing power. All the dash lights came on. Lost ALL power. Almost crashed because the brakes were out. Had to use the E Brake to stop and we were stranded on the freeway. Bought a new battery thinking that was the issue, but NO the car needs a NEW engine which is about $3500-4000.

Reached out to Kia and they aren't willing to help in ANY WAY. I work for Kelley blue book and thought I was getting a good car. However after this happened I look online and see the 2012 was the worst year for these cars and tons of people have had to have their engines replaced outta nowhere after a 100k miles. NEVER will buy another KIA again! These are horrible and so is their customer service!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I got a 2014 Kia Forte in 2015 at 48000 miles. I got over 100000 miles a few months ago and my engine is making a ticking noise (almost sounds like paper in a fan). I decided to go to the dealership a few months ago. The service guy gets in it and pretends not to hear anything and said if I keep hearing it to bring it back... Well it never left and it sounds a little louder (when I put my car in park it sounds like someone's old work truck) so I will be taking my car back to see why it is making that noise. I keep reading reviews and watched videos that had the same sound and a lot of people said their engines blew or need to be replaced... I can't afford either one to happen... now I'm worried about my car engine going out and don't know when it will happen before I take it back to the dealership.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought 2018 Forte in mid March, was very disappointed. For one thing my insurance skyrocketed over $300. I expected with buying newer car, my insurance would be same or little higher. The car was boring to drive. No one great thing in it, except Bluetooth. Was not fun "climbing" in and out. Once you're in there, it's more comfy to have to stay instead of in and out. I recently bought a 2018 Jeep Renegade and instantly my insurance dropped $170. Forte are nothing but high risk, in Florida, apparently. I would not recommend buying one in Florida but see a lot of people with them. So I drove it for 1 month, trying to get use to it, but couldn't. Glad I got rid of it, although didn't get what I paid for it being in excellent condition. That's ok, gone now. Buyer beware. I have NO idea how or why it gets such high ratings.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Less than a week after I got my brand new 2018 Forte the front windshield cracked from the hood of the car. Kia tells me it's my responsibility. The driver's side door window gets stuck down, rolls up very slowly. This has been since purchase.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have a 2017 Kia Forte. The way the car is designed you are not allowed to start the car then lock the doors and leave it to warm up. I have to leave the car unlocked or sit inside and risk frostbite! So far 3 calls to Kia has provided no support except to tell me that's how it was designed by Kia and there is nothing they can do. They explained they are just a Kia representative in Canada so they cannot do anything. They said if I wanted I could lay for a remote car started to be installed and they would not do anything to help me. I live in Canada and their ads say their cars are made for Canada but just don't try and safely warm up your car in the winter.

This is just a programming decision that was made by someone that may not have understood the climate. It should not be an impossible task to fix this issue as it's just programming. I was repeatedly told that is how the the car was designed in Korea. What they won't tell me is how to safely warm up my car without leaving the doors unlocked or sitting in it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I purchased this car some years ago, which is paid off; and now faced with a part's recall, which been on hold for lack of available replacement and now the same style is being recall for some combustion reaction which have people running for life, and now the DMV renewal registration is due with a smog inspection attach. I need your help, as a third party communicator with this company which seem to not get the impact of the matter of vehicle safety inspection in California, and I need my car in order to make my doctor appointments timely, due to a health issue, I have been dealing with for 1 1/2 years and counting. Stress I don't need, really it can be the death of me due brain aneurysm. I don't need the phone tag, or the hang-ups, just answers a lawyer would look for deep pockets that comes with more unnecessary conflict. So if you can help, please do so.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Kia Service is the Worst. I cannot even get a call back to schedule an appointment for service, it is like the end of the world. I have taken my 2016 Forte in twice for a front end shaking issue and none of their technicians can feel it when they drive it and cannot seem to get anyone to let me take them out and show them and have left several messages with service manager and dealership manager and still cannot even get a return call!!! I will never purchase another KIA again!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought Kia Forte standard in June 2017. Since I bought I have got too many problems. 1 - My car consumes too much gasoline. In the city best performance 9 km/liter (suppose to be 12.4 km). Outside the city best performance 14.5 km/liter (supposed to be 16 km). I always buy full tank. I can’t fail. System of my car shows the consume of gasoline 15 % less. Chief technician says with full tank (45 L) I should drive Outside the city min 700 km. I drew max 600 km. Inside the city. Min 600 km. I drew Max 500 km. Now it is even less.

2 - Exhaust makes noise. When I stop my car metal starts to cool down and make noise. They changed the catalyser and exhaust but still the same. Kia says it is because of Manada tires like that. It is normal. 3 cruise control fails. Doesn’t work very often. 3 - Windows makes noise when I close them. They crash to the frame. Kia says this is normal. 4 - ABS fails. Sometimes tires are getting blocked. Kia says they can’t find a problem with ABS.

I went Kia service many times. Every time my car is getting worse. I am having too many ridicules explanation. I think they don’t care about me and in purpose they make car worse. I will go another service but I can’t. Because my car will be out of guarantee. This is my third Kia. I always gave advice to everyone. But now I tell every one; NEVER BUY KIA.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I am satisfied with my KIA Forte. It's reliable, gets great mileage, and after 22,000 miles I have not yet had to have any serious work completed on it. The main features that sold me on my KIA Forte were Bluetooth capability, CD player, USB capability, the easy to use smart computer system, and low mileage. The only thing that would make the car more appealing to me would be heated seats and a remote control car starter. I also purchased a silver KIA Forte, but would prefer black.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Kia Forte drives really well and is good on gas. I liked the size, the economic gas mileage and the space for a mid-sized sedan. I also liked the color and the ease of driving it. It is easy to turn and park in small spaces. But there have been problems with the alternator, axle leaks and engine lights getting stuck on. It has cost a lot to fix over the past two years. They could have better alternator, more fuel economy, a little more leg room, and a seat that folds down completely for carrying larger items. I wish the price were better too and the trade in was worth more.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Excellent deal for the price, but the KIA Forte lacks POWER. If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the Optima or another Camry the car I had before. I get a little nervous when the engine seems to stall out. The truth is that's just the way the car is made based on its engine size. Sometimes GAS MILEAGE doesn't mean everything.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Got on 95 to go home, about 1 mile in I get a blowout. Ease over cautiously to the shoulder - within minutes a Road Ranger was behind me. Once him and I conclude it was indeed a blowout and the 'fix a flat' that comes with new cars (2017 Kia Forte) will NOT fix this, I call Roadside Assistance. This was at 5:30 pm, in the heat of evening traffic in sunny South Florida. First lady says the tow driver will be there in approximately 45 mins - ok, I'm a grown lady, I can handle this. Well, the 45 minutes come and go, I call back, the second lady says there was a problem and it would be another 30 minutes.

Now note, RS sent me a text of tow company with their number, I called and went straight to voicemail. Well, that 30 mins comes and goes, call back, the young man explains that if they get another company who knows how long and he was going to reach out to them, while I'm on the phone, new eta, another 30 mins. Well, it's starting to get dark - 8 rolls around, I call back hysterical - I'm on the side of one of the busiest freeways in the US - the young lady gets another company, guess what, eta over an hour. Tow company finally showed up at 9:15! 9:15!

This review is a two way street - 1 of the 4 reps I dealt with saw the urgency - the tow company, answer the dang phone, they had my #. Discussing this with RS - this is just unacceptable. I didn't pitch a fit for a spare because they ASSURED their Roadside Assistance would be there if something happens. Well, it did and they weren't there. Then, oh yes, then - only have 13,000 miles on car - the dealership I was towed to claims I must of ran over something - the blow out was inside passenger tire, inside wall - no other damage, this mystery object didn't touch anything else under car. They wouldn't let me see the tire either. This fight isn't over.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I own a 2015 Kia Forte which I purchased new and now has about 49000 miles on the odometer. It came with a 60000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty and a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, one of the main selling points for me. Just over a month ago the instant gas mileage display on the dash went dark. I have been to the dealer three times for repair, each time failed. They changed out the entire instrument cluster which did not help. Now the dealer is saying Kia engineers are working on a fix but the dealer has not been able to provide even a vague estimate on when or how my car can be fixed. I have contacted Kia Consumer Assistance several times for help and got none. They seem to think that the problem is so minor that I should not bother them. I am not pleased and worry that the 60000 mile warranty will expire with my car still broken. I hear rumors (on the net) that I am not alone with this problem.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kia Optima brand new off the lot. It now has paint that is peeling to the point that I cannot even take through a car wash without losing more paint. It also has several spots where the paint is bubbling up and ready to peel (see photos). When I took the car to a Kia dealer body shop I was told that it looked like the car had been repainted and done so poorly as it looks like dirt in several spots under the paint. I have owned the car since it was new and have not been in any accidents so the car has never been repainted. That is just the quality of the paint job when it comes from the factory.

I have contacted Kia corporate (Complaint # ** and **) and got the runaround that the is out of warranty and that I am out of luck. They are missing the point. This should not be happening with a car that is 4 years old. We own a 2011 Kia Forte without this issue. Considering that Kia had a class action lawsuit for this very issue and that they still have a response of "you are out of luck" tells me that I am not going to buy another Kia or Hyundai (same company). Do yourself a favor and do not buy pearl white of anything Kia makes as you will probably end up in the same boat.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Forte - I have had Nissan Altimas for the past 9 years and was not at all pleased with the product or the attitude/care from Nissan or their local dealer. I do however, strongly recommend KIA West for fabulous service on an extremely well built automobile. Like a breath of fresh is my definition of dealings with KIA West and their well put together product.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I have a Kia Forte with 84,000 miles on it and have done oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles with a blown engine. The worst part is I still owe $12k on the damn car and the dealership says a new engine might run between $6 to 8k. Rest of car is in great shape. Kia should be replacing the engine at no cost to the consumer!

Original review: June 19, 2017

We leased a 2014 Kia Forte. First I would like to say, it was complete JUNK! The rear suspension was clunking only after a few thousand miles. The brakes and tires went on it after 15 K. The gas gauge would all of a sudden drop to empty for a while despite being full. It was just a cheaply made piece of junk. That being said, we did not lease another vehicle and actually turned it in almost a month early. We were thousands of miles below our allotment. So because we didn't want to lease another pile of junk, what does Kia do? Scrutinize every little thing. Some scratches. It was dirty? They charged us $450 despite returning a vehicle early with low low miles and new parts that shouldn't have had to be replaced.

Funny how all of our other vehicles were returned in similar condition but since we leased another it was ok. I strongly feel like this was not "excessive damage". The car isn't worth what you want because people aren't buying them! The sales manager at the dealership admitted it. Who wants to pay for a pile of trash? Anything to make an extra buck. They are thieves and sell people garbage.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE???? I bought a 2015 Kia Forte in August 2015 from Brantmeier Ford/Kia in Sheboygan Wisconsin. Not 2 weeks later I had the car back to the dealership for issues. The BIGGEST issue is that the car is unsafe to drive on anything except dry roads. When there is snow, ice, or even heavy rain, the car will, out of nowhere leave its lane. This has happened multiple times. I'll be driving down the freeway at 65-70mph and out of nowhere the car will move into the lane to the right or onto the shoulder. You cannot anticipate when it will do it, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. When going over bumps in town the car shifts a lot, which feels like what it does on the freeway, only at a much slower speed.

We have had this car in and out of the dealership repair for over a year. Finally this year a technician from Kia came, felt what it did on the bumps and said it was normal for this model. I can assure you that it is NOT normal for ANY car to leave its lane while driving. This is a HUGE SAFETY ISSUE not only to the driver, but anyone else that is on the road when this happens! The dealership has replaced the rear struts, we've gotten new tires (which we paid for... the tires were worn so bad and in such an odd way in not even a year of owning the car), had alignments done, the list goes on... the repair department cannot find what is causing this.

From the very beginning the dealership was dishonest. 1st they offered a 0% deal (which is why we chose this car in the first place), when we were ready to sign the deal suddenly was not available. I could go on about the dishonesty we experience with this dealership, but my MAIN focus here is the SAFETY ISSUE of the vehicle leaving its lane while driving. If anyone else has experienced this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! I have contacted the State of Wisconsin on this matter and am in the process of filing a complaint with them and the BBB against both Kia and the dealership.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have Kia Forte 2011 engine problem. I found problem thru my local mechanic and he told me take Kia forte 2011 to Kia dealer in Riverside California as it would cover under warranty. I talk to Sal ** service consultant at ** and kept Kia on 1-4-2017. It has been 23 day, getting answer Kia has authorized engine problem and order parts and we are working but backed up. Meanwhile I am without car.. family is suffering. I would like you to look into matter and get me daily rental value for car compensation and family suffering settlement.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I purchased my 2016 Kia Forte lx March 18 2016. Say about 3 months later brakes grinding so I changed them myself. Only one side worn down. Kia says I voided the warranty because I changed them but mind you brakes aren't covered under the warranty but I let it go. So things been ok no problems until October sometime I'm driving and after being stopped at a red light I accelerate and the car takes off slower like no power so at the next light I cut it off and start it back. That lights on the dash do some crazy ** and it's like it has extra power but the brake lights not work so I take it to the dealership. They say it's the relay which I have to cover because the warranty doesn't cover it after 12000 miles. But they will cover the brake switch after I replace the relay.

So the electric shop fix the bad ground on the relay or the brake switch so things cool until a month later it just cuts off on me at the light and won't start back. Now I do have a sound system so I'm thinking it's the battery so I try and jump it and it won't start. No sign of it being the battery so I tow it to the dealership. They say it's the battery and starter and it's $900.00 so bring the car home, charge the battery up and the car starts right up. Which I believe it started up because the system reset after the battery been out for a period of time so I take it to autozone to have the battery and alternator check. The battery is no good which I think I messed up so I purchase a battery and a oil change kit.

This was on thanksgiving. Go home, changed the oil. My second time changing the oil since I had it and the engine starts knocking. I only have 19044 miles and the manufacturer denied me because I only had one receipt. I do oil changes myself. I never thought to keep up with the receipt. Also Kia says I should have changed the oil 3 times by now every 50000 but the book says 7500. Monday morning I will be contacting a lawyer. By the way you can look at the dumb stuff I invested in the car like the tint etc. Why wouldn't I do my oil change regularly? Thanks for reading my situation with Kia. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

Bought a Kia Forte in 2010 new. It's been six years and we have never had our Kia in the shop!! We put brakes/tires oil changes and had to replace sway bar bushings once. By far the best vehicle we have ever bought. We hit a deer which totaled the car. The car has 161,000 miles and we would continue to drive our Kia if it wasn't for the front end damage from the deer. The problem with my Kia is they do not hold their value. To our family our Kia is valuable in every way. Thank you Kia!!

Kia Forte Company Information