3.55/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Sedona

The Kia Sedona is a minivan with five available trim levels. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kia Sedona Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Bought a 5 yr extended warranty for 2015 vehicle in 2017. Original warranty ends April 2020. Vehicle rear ended April 2019. Totaled with medical problems to wife. Kia Protect refused to transfer warranty to new Sedona. Claim free reward states, "a refund cheque of the amount paid for your contract inclusive of taxes up to $1000." Contract cost 3626.70. Naturally there will be no claim on last year of original warranty or new warranty. Kia Protect says, "Sorry about your accident. However you won't own the car in 2025 (totaled) so you get nothing." (Who is the sucker?) Story to be told to all media outlets in Calgary Alberta and surrounding cities. Have spent two weeks speaking to representatives and they all express concern about the accident and injuries to my wife but they have no interest in recognizing their poor customer's problem.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The minivan is awesome. Reliable and comfortable to drive. Fuel economy is not too bad. I purchased the van last year from the Go Kia in South Edmonton with 100,000 K on it. It was a hard bargain but when the deal was closed I was happy with my price and assumed I had a good relationship with the dealership. After the deal closed the finance manager grinded me for two hours solid, ignored my multiple objections and basically forced me into purchasing an extended warranty I did not want for $5,000.

After I got out of the manager's office I was unhappy and did not want the warranty and after composing myself, getting a coffee, and going back and saying in no uncertain terms I did not want it, I was told it's too late and I have to have the warranty. I got my wife and kids to join me the following day and we picketed the dealership. Our signs read "Ripped off by Kia." Within 15 minutes the manager was out on the sidewalk with us telling us we did not have to have the warranty and begging us to pack up our signs and go home.

Fine, got out of the warranty and got my $5000 back minus a "$150 administrative fee" that I couldn't be bothered fighting over. Still the high pressure and dishonest upsell left a bad taste in my mouth. For the past year I can only say good things about the van and Go Kia's service of my van has been positive. My van is now at 135,000 KM and I have only needed the usual maintenance for the van, oil change, transmission fluid change, tire change, etc....

I did get a roof rack from Go Kia in December. It was allegedly on sale and at $300 it did seem like a good deal. I have not used the roof rack until today. Today I needed to move a king size mattress, that was just a little too big to fit in the van, but seemed to do ok on the rack. I strapped it down tightly and the started driving at 90Km up Highway 2 to take it to the person who purchased it off me, who was 20 km away. I made it about 1 km on the highway and then heard the roof rack rip away from my roof and in the rearview mirror I saw the mattress land in front of the car travelling behind me. The fellow skidded a bit and drove over the mattress and kept on going. I pulled over and dragged the now destroyed mattress off the highway and looked at the roof rack that was still attached to the mattress and saw it was destroyed too.

My advice is the Kia Sedona minivan is a great buy having owned it for a year and having put on 35,000 of the 135,000 kilometres on the van I have only experienced great reliability and excellent performance. The dealership is shady, ruthless, and will lie and pressure you to get an upsell. Don't trust them, and picket them if you have to, if they succeed in pressuring you into an upsell you don't want. The Kia roof rack sucks. Not safe actually. Mine looked good on my van's roof, but it seemed to me it was ripped off of my roof way too easily. I wasn't driving that fast and I think it should have been able to handle the mattress. I am grateful the mattress accident didn't result in a high speed accident where loss of life or serious damage could have resulted.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I purchased my Sedona in October 2016. It was a dealer vehicle that had 7,000 miles on it. I was told I would have the same warranty as if it was brand new. Now the paint on the roof is coming off. You can run your hand along the top and your hand will turn silver (the van is silver). I took my van in for service on 2/26/19. Parts were ordered as they did not have them available. I had company so did not make a follow-up appointment until 3/25/19. 3/22/19 Texted my service advisor that I also wanted them to review my paint as it was coming off on the roof as well as a ticking noise in my engine. He stated that it would be addressed when I dropped it off on Monday.

3/25/19 I dropped my van off at noon. At that time, I was told that the body shop manager would look at the paint on the roof. I received a text on 3/28/19 regarding my paint. It was not covered under warranty. I asked if the 36 months was from the time I purchased, or they received it. I was told that it was 36 months OR 36,000 miles. I was never actually told one way or the other when the 36 months started.

The vehicle does not have 36,000 miles on it, so I am assuming the 36 months is from when THEY received it not when I purchased it. I was also told by my service advisor to contact Consumer Affairs which I did. I was told that the parts for the ticking noise were ordered and should be in on 4/3/19. 4/3/19 Was contacted by Consumer Affairs (Nikki). She was going to do some research and call me back. On 4/4/19 I texted my service advisor again to find out the status of my van. Was told at that time that they had left me messages, but I received none of them. The engine was still making a noise, so the manager was having the master tech look at it. Was told it would be Friday or Monday.

4/5/19 Nikki called and left me a voice message. She called and talked to Pierre (the body shop manager) and explained that we needed an estimate to move forward. My service advisor texted that he would touch base with him (Pierre) that morning to ensure it was done. Supposedly on 4/8/19 Pierre had the van and would have an estimate for me by 10:30. Was told by my advisor on 4/9/19 that my vehicle was there now and should have an estimate shortly. On 4/10/19 I kept texting my service advisor with no response. I finally got ahold of a someone in service (Travis I think) and was told that Brandy was handling my vehicle and I would be called back. Brandy did not call back, so I called again at 5:28 and left another message.

On 4/11/19 I still did not receive a call so at 8:51 am I called again and talked with Brandy. At that time, she let me know that Johnny (my service advisor) was let go. She was shocked that Johnny had not offered me a loaner car. I explained that it was not supposed to take this long, and we had 2 vehicles. She was going to find out what was happening with my van and call me back.

4/12/19 Brandy did not call me so at 9:53 I called her. Was told at that time that the engine was still making noise and no estimate for the paint. Asked her to contact me and let me know an update. Left 2 voice mails asking for an update. Did not hear from Brandy so at 5:06 I called again. Was told I could have a loaner that would not cost me anything. Still, no estimate for paint and the master tech was waiting to talk with Kia techline about the noise. 4/13/19 Called Brandy at 8:12 and told her I would be there within an hour to get the loaner. Got there and had to wait almost 40 minutes. I did receive a loaner. 4/19/19 Left another message for Brandy asking for an update.

4/20/19 Did not hear from Brandy so at 10:25 I called again. Did get ahold of Brandy. Was told that the body shop was extremely backed up and the estimate had still not been done. Was told that Kia Techline did talk to the master tech and the noise in the engine was determined to be “normal”. I asked why it is doing that now when it was not before? Was told that the tech did say that it was louder than others, but it was normal and if they replaced the fuel pump again it would still make that noise. That was when my husband got on the phone. Was told the same thing. He asked to talk to the manager. Brandy offered to have him call us. My husband wanted his direct line. Brandy gave him the manager's name and direct number.

4/20/19 He left a message for Jim ** at 10:31 to have him call. 4/20/19 Jim the Kia service manager did call back. He stated that the engine was still making a noise that he did not think was normal. He was going to talk with the rep for this district and see what could be done. 4/23 10:09 am Jim phoned and stated he had talked to his higher-ups and he explained that he did not agree with the tech's decision from Kia Tech Line. He was going to put another fuel pump on and see if that took care of the noise.

4/30 Spoke with Brandy and she stated that the painting estimate was back. The body shop also found that the hood needed to be repainted. It would cost $2300 to repair. She had not heard from Kia Consumer Affairs. The engine was still making noise after the new fuel pump was put on. The rep for the area would be there the following week. They were going to have him come by and listen to the noise in person. 5/6 Spoke with Jaimie at Kia Consumer Affairs. My claim was not approved so I would not be getting any assistance to repaint my van. At this point, I am beyond distressed about my vehicle. As of 5/6/19 they have had my van 6 weeks.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Where do I begin... It sucks. I bought a brand new 2015 the same year it was out, fully loaded the most expensive one, first paint is peeled off near sliding door, got that fixed, the places that did that, didn’t put the protection piece on a part of my vehicle and now that has rusted, they will not fix this one. Engine blows so a new one is put in. Transmission goes, new one put in. My radiator goes crazy while driving and that was fixed. They cracked something in my car but I can’t prove it. Recalls on sliding door not closing and last another freakin' transmission problem that needs to be replaced with a new one. No loaner car for a week and I have called them every day and was told that someone is bringing a car in that I can use, Still waiting. I’m sooo done with this car. I pay a mortgage amount on this car over $800. This is ridiculous. Do not get a Kia.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I would never recommend a Kia to anyone, I have purchased 3 brand new Kias, 2 Sorentos and one Sedona. The Sedona started smoking, the next day I called the dealership and took it in to have it serviced. My Sedona is a 2014 with only 55,000 miles on it, once the tech looked at the engine they requested service records which was provided and Kia corporate would not cover the engine stating that the oil changes could not have been done properly (really) because of the damage to the engine.

When dealing with Kia Corporate, they were very rude and would just talk in circles and would not work with you at all. The person that was to be my case supervisor was terrible and I stated that I wanted to talk to his superior and he stated that there was no one above him which I later found out that there was and I did finally speak to him which was just a waste of time. Also, I was told that no one is required to return your calls or answer any emails or etc. What type of company is this? Kia is just a total joke and they promote this wonderful warranty which is a bunch of crap and fraud. Steer away from Kia and don't fall for their warranty scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Sedona?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We bought a new Sedona SX, $40+ grand. We bought all the extra warranties and everything they offered. Well, we have been bringing in now going on 4 times for the same problem, the passenger side door will not open/close properly. At first it was intermittent, so when we got there, it wouldn’t do it, so sent away. After maybe 5-7 times of that, they got to see first hand. So they try this, try that. To no avail, the most recent, they had my wife drop off in the morning and pick up n the afternoon after work. After a week of that, I demanded a courtesy car for her to use. Well after 15 more days, they demanded the car back, and gave my wife back her disassembled door still not working van back and said they have to fly in a specialist to fix, in three weeks.

I wanted them to give a car to use, as my wife drops off our children to school and they get out that side. With the door broken, they either have to crawl over the front seat or get out the other side, where cars are leaving, not a good situation! So Kia refuses to give a loaner car, and still waiting for specialist to fly in. I am currently in talks with a lawyer for lemon law, as a safety concern, as well as just fix or replace the door like you're supposed to! I have contacted their customer support, or lack of! I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau also. Attorney is last step, I will never buy a car from Kia again!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have leased a 2017 Kia Sedona for my parents in Brown's Kia of Manassas. With that I purchased the maintenance plan through Kia and now the dealer. Meaning that the plan was good in any Kia dealership throughout the states. When I took it for their first oil change in NY I was told this plan was not valid there since it was not done through the manufacturer but instead through the dealer. I filed a complaint on May 23 2018 through Kia Consumer Affairs and 5 months later (October 2, 2018) I am yet to receive anything. Instead a manager there by the name of Tomas ** apologized and when I actually express my discontent and wanting to finish the lease early he said "we are doing you a favor since Kia of Manassas did not fulfill their compromise, and if that is how you feel you should return it." I will never get a Kia car even if they were giving it out for free. WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kia Sedona is a wonderful ride and very comfortable on long trips. It seats four with ample room for people. It gets good gas mileage. The sliding door feature is also a wonderful thing. I chose this model because of all the cargo room. I do craft shows and have to haul product, displays, tables. Also works great on stock up trips to the store. I can haul in one trip what used to take two trips in my other car. But I wish it had heated seats as standard. Also would like the feature where you could get the back hatch door open by a button or sensor. Needs a handle over the door on passenger side to help people get in the car.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Third row seating was a big decision maker, needed that option. Good gas mileage for a minivan. Very spacious to take all my grandchildren when I want to. Good quality and runs great. Has some electrical issues, but has been pretty dependable since I bought it, considering its age. Has a DVD player, but DVD has been stuck in player almost ever since we put it in. Would be nice if the kids could watch a movie and I could listen to the radio at the same time. The door handle broke off and the seat electrical went out as well about a year after I bought it, I have to drive with a pillow behind me to reach the pedals and steering wheel.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I liked the 2016 Kia Sedona because it's for all of the family. We are 5, my wife, my 14 years son, 9 years son, my 18 months baby and me. We have enough space. We can carry my baby's car and more stuff and it's nice to trip. I like that it has GPS and back camera too. I like everything, but the only thing I don't like it's the tires' sensor, when a tire is low just says that one tire is low but no specify which one. But I recommend for the people that need space and be comfortable.

Kia Sedona Company Information