1.58/5
Based on 97 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Jeep Cherokee

The Jeep Cherokee comes in eight trims with options ranging for everyone from adventure-seekers to families. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

136 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love it. It drives super good and comfy. Gets good gas mileage as well. It’s by far the best vehicle we have had in a long while. I like having the usb ports and blue tooth sxm radio and the ability to insert sim cards is nice. Heated seats and steering wheel is great. Having power windows and seats are good as well. The only issue I have is the backseat space being so small and when you add three kids in three car seats it’s hard for them to buckle. They don’t have much space for leg room or to buckle if everyone is in there. It’s just super tight back there. But, it's a wonderful updated vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I love my 1998 Jeep. It may be 20 years old but it runs like a new one. The ride is smooth and comfortable. My Jeep has 5-speed manual transmission. That's the thing I like most about it and the reason I chose it over the other vehicles that were available. However, I don't like size of the backseat and the back fours. I have 3 kids, 1 in a booster seat, and when all 3 are in the backseat they are very crowded. The back door openings are also not very large due to the fact that they follow the outline of the back tires which cuts off a lot of extra space to exit the back seat. But it gets great gas mileage for an SUV, in fact, it gets better gas mileage than my mom in law's Impala.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had always heard that Jeep was a well-built brand and that they last forever. I was tired of getting a new vehicle every couple of years and the fact that I always have to buy used makes it very hard to get a good quality vehicle so the staying power was my biggest concern. I bought the Jeep Cherokee used so we have had a lot of problems with the battery as well as the engine. The dealer that I bought it from did offer a warranty plan that I took advantage of so the problem with the engine was fixed at no cost to me but not too confident about how long the fix will last. I love most of the options that the car includes but the problems just keep coming always waiting for the next problem to present itself. The parts are also very pricey and it is hard to find someone that can work on them and when you do find someone it takes forever for them to complete the repairs and often times they cost way more than I planned on.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I like a Jeep and being able to get through the snow, climb steep hills. I like the look and room. Have had the same make and middle before with no problems but this 2001 Jeep Cherokee Laredo has been a move pit. Have put several thousand of dollars in it and still has problems. Almost everything that can be replaced has been replaced. But overall this has been my favorite make and model for the past 20 years. When this one goes I'm sure I'll get another if I can find one. I like everything about a Jeep Cherokee Laredo and will continue to own one as long as I drive, if possible.`

Original review: July 26, 2018

Just purchased a 2019 Jeep Cherokee 7/28/2018. Hadn’t had 2 weeks already needs repair. All warning lights coming on. It has been parked in garage I in undriveable. Jeep can’t get it in for repair for one month. This is crazy. Buy a new vehicle and can’t drive it. Will consider not buying jeeps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Cherokee?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Love it! The four-wheel drive is the best feature and is great in the area I live. The four-wheel drive gets through the snow. The ride is not a smooth one but gets you where you're going and able to carry items like a truck. It sits up higher and it is made with metal and not plastic. The look of the Jeep Cherokee is also great, although the doors have been welted rusted. I also hope they make them the same as the older models. Better rust prevention and a better fuel mileage would also be great with the metal body. Nonetheless, it is a reliable vehicle and it is hard to improve a Jeep that has been this great. Best ride I have had and would buy Jeep again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I wanted an SUV that had 4x4 and got decent gas mileage and the Jeep Cherokee has 4x4 and with it not being a full size SUV it would get pretty decent gas mileage which it does. I chose this vehicle because of the incentive that was given at purchase. I also wanted something that was going to be a smooth ride and quiet. So far the experience has been good. Comfortable ride and does very well in the snow too in 4x4. I drive approx 50-60 miles per day and fill up every 6 days. Have had for a little over a year and have had no issues. However, I would change the headlights. I love the bulbs but I do not like the design of them. They are too slanted. I believe the engine is a 3.2 and wish it was more of a 4.0 or at least a little bit bigger than the engine that is in it now. My vehicle also does not have GPS and wish that it did.

Original review: May 31, 2018

33,500 miles on 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 20 months old so still under 36 month, 36,00 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Has been back to the dealer for several issues. But latest is the noises in the B Pillars. Dealership... After several visits... Called in the Regional FCA rep who said it can't be fixed. Offered me $5,000 "trade in assistance". But catch is that I have to buy a new FCA vehicle from the dealership.

Bottom line is they want me to spend $29,500 to buy a new 2109 Jeep Cherokee and absolve them from fixing my defective Jeep. Calling FCA is useless. They close the case out with the reason "it's a dealership issue" AND they don't even contact me when closing it out. The only way I find out it's been closed is by calling them to get a status on the case. This is a defective vehicle built by FCA, they hide behind the contracted call center. But let's just go with this "it's a dealership" thing... The dealership is less responsive than FCA. They won't return my calls, the only time I get to talk to them is when I show up in person. Time to call a consumer advocacy lawyer. Stay away from Fiat Chrysler, Jeep Dodge, Ram. Customer service and support is non-existent.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Jeep Cherokee - Traded up from 07 Highlander. [Same size frame.] Jeep is cramped and also with little storage in rear. When cruise on - you can't read the odometer. I also don't like the auto stop and start - would like to turn it off permanently and not every time I get in car.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The quality of the Jeep Cherokee is suspect. I have had the Jeep in to the shop on numerous occasions for recalls and problems. This is the first vehicle I have taken a lifetime warranty out on because I suspect there will be expensive repairs down the road. Had to have the radio, which contains the "brains" (GPS and all other controls) replaced early on under warranty. The 4 cylinder is terribly underpowered and as a consequence gas mileage is poor. The 9 speed transmission is cumbersome and jerky. Safety features are impressive and about the only thing worth the money on this vehicle.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I am a staunch Jeep lover, currently drive a 2011 Cherokee which handles great, good get up and go, roomy and nice to look at. Plus better gas mileage than most SUVs.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My jeep is a 1993 and it's still in good shape. The paint on it is not so good, but the ride is good. I've never had a Jeep Cherokee before this one. It was old when I bought from a person I knew a few years ago. I'm still driving it! The interior is somewhat worn but seat covers took care of that. I will definitely look into buying one when I look for a new car.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk rides surprisingly well for off-road suspension. Interior is well designed, with the use of quality materials. Seating is supportive and comfortable. Controls are well placed. The 4 wheel drive is responsive and sure-footed.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude has less than 36000 miles (December 2016) when I was told that the tires were worn and needed to be replaced. In August of 2017 the battery died and I was told I needed a new one, still not 36000 miles. From the beginning summer of 2015 a horrific Odor came anytime the air conditioner came on (and still does but not as bad). I am told that it is a defect in the air conditioner that collects water that goes bad or creates a mold. WHAT??? Now the upholstery on both front seats are tearing at the seams and the volume of padding in the upholstery is decreasing greatly. NOW just at 36000 miles!!! Don't you think that a car should last more than 2 to 3 years?

Original review: March 6, 2018

Purchased a 2017 Jeep Cherokee in December of 2016. We have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Shifting patterns are horrible. We have had it to the dealer numerous times and have been told that we are the only people complaining about the shifting. One day, pulling out on the highway with plenty of room, the Jeep almost stalled, we had to pull over to the side of the road to get out of the way of traffic. The other day, went to pull out from a stop sign, stepped on the accelerator, nothing happened. All the sudden, it jumped forward into traffic, had to slam on the breaks to avoid getting hit from the side. The person, behind, almost rear-ended us. Forget about using this vehicle to drive up hills, even small ones. It downshifts, goes up over 4000 rpms, then almost feels like it is going to stall. Going down hills, it revives up and goes 10-15 miles faster. We took a list of 9 things wrong with the Jeep, the dealer said that there is nothing they can do.

Today we were told everything is in our head. Basically calling us liar. We have to get used to driving it different. Was flat out told that we have to drive it like an old person. This vehicle is a safety factor. So much so, that I will not drive it any longer. Went out and purchased a brand new 2017 Chev. Malibu last month. We are stuck with a vehicle that we don't want to drive and have to continue to make payments on. We will never purchase another vehicle from Jeep.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I bought Jeep Cherokee about 2 years ago, I was big fan of Jeep and did not believe the negative reliability reviews. I wish had not done that, the car essentially since I bought it does not start when the weather is hot. Unlucky for me I live in North East where goes over 80 degrees. Only few days a week in summer when the issue happens. As a result dealer always claims the issue cannot be reproduced and check in engine doesn’t give them info to fix it. You figured FCA would step up to fix it but they have not. They refuse to suggest any alternative strategy other than take it to dealer. The car is safety hazard. I am afraid the car will stall in middle of a highway. At this I wish had the read reviews and stayed away from FCA products.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I am currently driving a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with just as little as 14,000 miles on it. I’m lucky to say that I will be returning it in January. This is my 4th car at 24 years old and I had gotten the Jeep new because I’m trying to avoid being stuck with paying for small inconveniences like plastic trim falling apart and electric systems going, I had a 2004 Volkswagen Passat and I have not had any issues with it as much as the new Jeep. I do not recommend this car to anyone. This has been a nightmare which is finally going away soon. Oh and the service department never cares about the customer and the car. I will definitely go back to Volkswagen. Their service is a lot better and they seem to take pride in their work.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Wish I never bought 2015 Jeep Cherokee. It has major transmission issues. It has trouble shifting and sometimes reaches 60 mph before the first shift. It cannot climb smallest hills much less larger highway hills in vt, without shifting difficulty. Now even straightaways give it trouble. Noticed problems soon after purchase. Brought it back to dealer who made minor improvements but issue remains. Now they say there's nothing more they can do. They also refuse to change transmission. Will never buy Jeep product again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I purchased my 2014 Jeep Cherokee in April 2017 with 19,000 miles on it. I've owned the vehicle 5 months and at 24,950, I was driving along at the speed of 25 MPH when the transmission service, engine, ABS and stability lights came on. My car downshifted. This was very scary. I brought it to the Jeep Service Department that day to be told that it needed a software update (TPM flash). What a joke. I reviewed the vast comments from multiple websites only to find out that the 9 speed transmission is faulty and the software updates (all 21 of them) are a bogus excuse for the Chrysler-Jeep Corporation failing to do the right thing and buy back these defective vehicles. I took the vehicle home and the next morning, I started the vehicle up and all of the same warning lights came on again. I was unable to get my car to drive in reverse. When attempting to shift, there was an odd clicking noise.

The car was towed to the Jeep Service Department 4 days ago and they have yet to call me or return my call. I have complained with the NHTSA and Chrysler-Jeep Corporation. I have no faith that they will resolve this and this vehicle is a dangerous money pit. I have joined the Class Action Lawsuit with Capstone and have also contacted a local attorney who deals with consumer rights and product defect. DO NOT PURCHASE A JEEP!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Jeep Cherokee Latitude battery/electrical failure. I switch all lights to NOT turn on when getting in and out of car. However, at 8,000 miles I've needed 3 jumps within 24 hours. This is first American car I've bought in 20 years. BIG mistake. I'm making less money than I did when 30 years old. Now, 59 considered "overqualified" for a US job which Visa illegals are obtaining the PROFESSIONAL JOBS now. I'm in HR/Recruiting so I see it first hand. I'm living in the back of the Jeep Cherokee to keep up payments and credit. Only working part-time on 1099 because companies won't hire full-time and pay benefits for someone over 50. I bought the NEW car to avoid issues of used car because I'm sleeping in the back of the Jeep. But, big mistake buying American car: NEW or USED.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I am very disappointed in the Jeep product. The past 2 Jeeps we have had have had problems before 42,000 miles. The 2015 Jeep Compass had a transmission issue at 21,000 miles. When it was tested, the dealership said nothing was wrong because the computer did not record the issue. We were stranded on the highway in limp mode on vacation! We traded it in because we did not feel safe. These should have been recalled because I see more and more reviews online with the same issue.

The 2016 Jeep Cherokee also has issues. At 42,000 miles, the battery is not holding a charge because the battery sensor is damaged plus the battery cables are damaged. How did that become damaged? We have had issues with the start and stop for a month before it almost left my husband stranded. Luckily, he broke down at home. It costs and arm and a leg to repair this even though the part online is under $100. I feel as if Jeep is taking us for a ride. We will never buy their product again and will trade this in as soon as we can because we do not feel safe in it. BUYER BEWARE! This product used to have a quality name. Now, it needs some serious quality control before being sold off the lot. We feel scammed.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM them! I bought a brand new 2015 Jeep Cherokee and it has already given me two major problems! Mind you my Jeep hasn't even hit 33K miles. The first problem was a transmission problem and the second, a defective shifter! I have not only had to deal with an unsafe vehicle but the terrible customer service! The people who work here are very unknowledgeable and the last guy I talked to was very rude and implied I was a liar because he kept saying "He'd check the last phone call" because he didn't believe I had been told my rental car would be reimbursed. It has been an awful experience dealing with this agency and the only advice I have to say is do your research before buying any Jeeps because you'll probably end up dealing with defective cars and horrible customer service!

Original review: July 31, 2017

I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yesterday I had trouble trying to start it. It was acting like it was fuel starved. I had it towed into the local Jeep dealership. They called me this AM and said it was the fuel pump module. They said, and this was confirmed by Jeep, that it was not covered by the powertrain warranty. Now the powertrain warranty is for 60k and my Jeep is only 59k... But they say no this part isn't included even though it's part of the engine. This is the 2nd warranty issue I've had. Last year I had a vibration in the rear end and they said that the driveshaft was damaged... They claimed it was road damage and wasn't covered. Excuse me... But isn't Jeep supposed to be a 4-drive vehicle? Someone told me that JEEP stood for Just Extra Expensive Parts... Boy were they right. This is the first... AND LAST... Jeep I'll ever buy. Jeep = JUNK!

Original review: July 25, 2017

I bought my 2017 Jeep Cherokee (2.4 liter with the 9 speed transmission) last November 2016 and so far it has been in the shop 3 times for the same issue: problems with the transmission. The car will not shift down when going up hill. It jerks into gear and sometimes it just will not get into drive or reverse. Going up a hill on the freeway, I'm doing around 45 and when i try to pass someone I have to press on the gas almost all the way to the floor. The engine revs to about 4500 rpm red line is at 6000 and with a clunk the car shifts down to a lower gear so i can pass. The dealer just keeps on reprogramming the transmission computer every time and to no effect. Soon it will be my fourth time with the same problem and then I will be applying for the LEMON LAW. This car is a REAL LEMON.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I bought my Jeep Cherokee in 2014. The first few years were great, aside from a few recalls. However, November 2016 I was driving to the gym, made it about .3 a mile until I got an error saying, "Shift to desired gear". A few seconds later, my car came to a slow stop. Very dangerous as I was in the middle of a busy intersection. The power was still working, however the engine stopped. I brought it to a Jeep dealership and they tried to replicate the issue with no success. After more than 8 hours (and no rental car provided), they told me they couldn't do anything.

About 2 months later, the same thing happened again. I brought my car to a different Jeep dealership, who tried to replicate the issue but couldn't. They sent me on my way with no explanation. It then happened again 4 months later, so I had it towed to a different Jeep dealership. As you can guess, they tried to replicate the issue but couldn't. To get a second opinion, I went to two separate local mechanics who were outraged Jeep couldn't fix it, because clearly something was wrong. There is no consistent pattern when this happens, therefore it could happen at any time.

I'm VERY disappointed with Jeep and its product. It's a shame because I really wanted to like Jeep/Chrysler. I've always had either a Toyota or Honda due to their reliability, but was hoping this would work out. However, because they can't give me an answer or offer a solution to my problem, I am trading it in for a Toyota Rav4 or Acura. What kind of reputable business has a problem, but does offer to find a solution?! Especially when lives are at stake? DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. It is simply not safe.

Original review: June 3, 2017

What a horrible experience!!! I bring my jeep 2017 Cherokee in for check engine light. The service writer (Amitol I think was his name, west Indian gentleman) tells me it shouldn't be a problem. Around 3 still no response so I called in and he tells me the car was in an accident and they won't replace the automatic grill sensor!! Accident?? What accident? I get there and the mechanic tells me, 'You were sold a lemon. That's why I don't buy my cars from these dealers especially this one because they all lie.' I didn't buy my car there anyway due to all the negative reviews. He shows me the car is missing some plastic clips that as far as I know were always there. Now they're missing and broken piece of plastic way at the bottom. With those two pieces of information he concludes the car was in a wreck and they won't replace the part.

Later he tells me this is a pain in the neck job because he has to take everything apart in the front to find out if the sensor is bad, basically he doesn't want to do it. Then he says in his notes car was in a wreck and they won't fix it. The manager Maria I believe who supposedly approved his notes, was nowhere to be found. Then it took another 30 minutes to get the car out of there because my service writer was too busy chit chatting on his personal phone. I took it elsewhere and of course the sensor is bad, no wreck, and they are fixing it. These people are a bunch of lazy people who don't care if you are upset or not. And Anita? Ha! I ask for her and nowhere to be found. The worst part that upsets me is stating my car was in a wreck. How dare they deny me service if it's under warranty and no body damage!!! Had it been in a wreck the part would have been destroyed!!! STAY AWAY.

Original review: March 25, 2017

Bought a brand new Cherokee in December of 2015. One year and two weeks with less than 10,000 miles later the transmission starting acting up (locked in 4th gear). Dealer reflashed computer and acts like it is normal maintenance. On the drive home (less than 10 miles) the problem repeats itself. A new computer was ordered and three weeks later it arrived and was installed. Three weeks after that the transmission locks up again and I was told it would take 2 more weeks to get the valve body to replace. Contacted Jeep customer care and after finally getting in touch with a person they agreed to a rental car. Well I get a call today saying that on the test drive the transmission went out (blocking an intersection) and had to be towed back. Now the transmission will be replaced in about 2 weeks.

While Jeep seems to be "trying to fix the problem" I feel like I am just being strung along until the warranty runs out and will then be stuck with repair bills. I bought a new car so I don't have to worry about these problems, instead I have a $30k unreliable and unsafe vehicle that I cannot drive. Mark my words. This car is going to cause the death of someone before long the way the transmission gives out. Maybe then FCA will do something to correct the problem for good.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I bought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee with 24 miles on it. From early on it has had an issue with the transmission. It basically "clunks", literally falters between gears at times during which it doesn't accelerate. Started just between 3rd and 4th but now does it between other gears. Have noted this everytime I take the vehicle in for service. Repeatedly told that until the check engine light comes on and the computer tells them what is failing, they aren't allowed to fix it. I will NEVER buy a Jeep again. So discouraged. I bought the "top" of the line, Limited Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 engine and while it's got great bells and whistles, I hate to drive the car and I'm still paying for it. I still owe more than what I can get to trade it in, I won't sell it to a friend because of this issue.

The Service Manager at my local dealership in Wichita KS has told me and now my fiancee, because we needed to be sure I wasn't getting the talk to the hand because I'm a woman, that Chrysler is fully aware of this issue, that there are at least 2-3,000 out there doing the same thing due to the 9-speed transmission, and they continue to sell this product. Not ever to me again. I hope this stops someone from buying a Jeep and potentially getting a lemon like I've got. My concern is that I'm now at 35K miles and almost out of the warranty period and that darn light will probably come on at 37 or something. That will not be a fun day.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

My 2013 Grand Cherokee has a rear window leak that runs down the inside window into the wiper unit. Jeep would only cover it under the "basic" warranty (3 yrs/36K). Even with my extended "Lifetime" warranty, they would not cover the leak as I am past the 36k. We have 9 cars and I have NEVER know a front or rear window too loose. It's seal. REALLY JEEP?? With the recalls on both my Grand and '07 Wrangler, I will never buy another Jeep or related product. Not made like they used to be!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I bought my Cherokee brand new from Heritage Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat of Owings Mills, MD. For the last 10 months, my vehicle has been shutting off while driving. In addition to shutting off while in motion, it is very jerky, hesitant, my 4x4 system has failed out of nowhere, and both the dealer and manufacturer have no idea, nor care to, fix it. My car is still under warranty with less than 35,000 miles. FCA customer service is a joke. I had to escalate to a manager with a certified letter with hopes to getting results before I sue the company in totality for selling a vehicle with known issues. I should have done more research before purchasing this vehicle because I see nothing but horror stories. A class action lawsuit needs to be filed against this manufacturer for putting customers' lives at risk.

Jeep Cherokee Company Information