Ford F-250/F-350

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I owned a 2004 Ford 6.0 diesel F350. It was complete junk. Changed the fuel, oil, and transmission filters regularly. At 65000 the head gasket blew. Warranty refused to cover the expense. Again at 115000 miles fixed again for $4,400. The third time at 160000 miles. I was glad to park it in the weeds. Bought a 2013 Ford F350 with the 6.7 diesel. The truck was pampered with all fluids and filters changed early. Died at a light today. Towed to Ford and they advised the high pressure fuel pump. But need to change complete fuel system. Only $10,000.00. The more I read the more I find that this is a common problem! And to top it off Ford said that the fix will not be covered under warranty. Back to Duramax...

In 2015 my 2012 F-250 was in the service center 90 days waiting for a glow plug module. This year (2016) it has been in the shop for three months waiting for parts and troubleshooting to resolve a lightning strike. I want to sell the truck, but Ford service delay has forced me into a new year which cost me in deflated value. The truck has only 21,000 miles logged. Ford has offered nothing in compensation for time lost in use of the vehicle. I not purchase another Ford Truck for any price.

I own a 2011 Ford F350 Diesel. The engine froze up after 27000 miles. I purchased truck 5 yrs, 8 months ago. My warranty 100,000, 5 yrs, sticker price $48000, I had it serviced religiously. After 8 months ago warranty no longer valid and Ford could care less, although they will buy the truck back for $20.000 so I would be out of pocket around $12000, the estimate for new engine $24000. I will never purchase a Ford again. Settling for a Ram Diesel, hearing they have transmission issues. The Ram also has the 100,000 mile, 5 yr, whatever comes first. What an expensive lesson.

My best friend has a 2005 F350 King Ranch Diesel 6.0. At 85000 miles the turbo came apart, shrapnel inside motor, head bolts R&R, cracked manifolds, EGR deleted. They needed to raise the cab off motor, what engineer came up with that? After $9500 he has decide to keep it, can't afford another truck for awhile. The certified Ford mechanic who made repairs said, he fixed everything Ford screwed up. What happened to the 7.3 power stroke with a good transmission behind it, oh ya no such thing? After over 25 yrs with Ford I have been forced to Ram Cummings Diesel.

Anyone with this 6.0 or the diesel that International designed is doomed to failure. I had two 2005 Ford 6.0, a F-350 & a F-450 with these engines. Between the two I spent $ 12,000.00 on them. Traveling to Va. from Maine I had my F-350 with truck camper break down 4 times on the trip to Va. The truck had less than 57,000 on it and it was out of warranty by 4 months. First fix was in Pa. where it needed a turbo (3rd one), went 119 miles and broke-down again. Second time, #1 injector failed, third time 300 mile later # 1-3-5-7 injectors failed, #1 was under warranty, fourth time turbo hose clamp broke and lost turbo pressure. The last repair I did myself at the dealership.

Ford would do nothing for us. I talked to all the techs at four different dealerships and they said no matter what you do to these engines they are trash. Just poorly engineered. My wife cried at the third engine failure. I spent $4,000.00 in repairs and $1000.00 in towing. I wish I knew how bad these were before buying them. I traded it (b/c I couldn't sell it with its reputation as a problem engine) and bought a 2011 Lariat Ford-350 6.7 diesel. Not a lot of miles on (25,000) it as of now but no engine problems. Only problems Ford sync is a disaster and Auto locking 4x4 hubs needed new seals b/c it was losing the vacuum to switch them back and forth. So take warning.

We bought our 2015 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel truck brand new. Within the 1st week it would violently shake when you get to 45-55mph or in between gears. We took it to the dealership and they said it was from the exhaust brake and we needed to down shift when it would do this. Well that didn't work. We took it back again. They said there was nothing they can do. This is a $60,000 truck and should not be doing this. Ford will do nothing about it. I have grown up with Fords and I will never buy another one due to this issue and Ford's lack of resolving it or making it better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

2014 f-350 super duty - Bought a new F350 Diesel, 6.7. So far engine running great although my big problem seems to be the suspension. The first problem came at about 55k miles. I developed what was commonly known as the death wobble. According to the Ford dealership, the death wobble hasn't existed for 10 yrs or so, but all the symptoms pointed to it. After doing some research of my own the conclusion I came up with was replacing the stock steering stabilizer. Haven't had a recurrence...yet.

However I purchased a new set of 4 Cooper A/T3 tires. After about maybe 5k miles I had a major vibration in the front end at approximately 40-45 mph. At 50 it would even out but at higher speeds would return. The steering wheel would actually shake in my hands. The dealer said it was wheel bearings, so they were replaced. The vibration was still there. They then said it was my tires. After a lot of convincing my tires were replace...all 4. The vibration is still there now quite noticeable in the rear. The seat shakes again at about 35-45 mph. The dealer has no idea what the problem is and how it should be addressed.

Bought a new Ford 6.7 Diesel F450. The first engine blew up at 20K. Engine was rebuilt by Ford and except for the expensive tow the motor was paid for by Ford. Now at 160k we lost a cylinder and we are forced with another expensive rebuild, 15k-20K. Having invested in the POS 6.0 motor in 2007 and already been through the suffering that is Ford, I can't support Ford Motors.

Son gave us his F250 truck so I could haul my husband and his power wheelchair... Ford sucks is all I can say, driving to one of his appointments, blew a spark plug. Got stranded on the side of a busy highway in 104 degree/ humid day with my disabled husband for 3 hours. It's got the 5.4 motor in it. Would like it fixed cause now it's just an oversized paper weight... Needless to say I went back to using my 98 Dodge Durango with 250,000 plus miles on it... still runs strong.

2010 F250 with 62000 km. Towing a trailer on the highway and the lower transmission oil cooler inlet hose became dispatched and I lost 6 liters of oil before pulling over. The metal clamp was not in the correct place, but an inch back, on the soft part of the hose. Damaged the transmission within seconds to the tune of $7500, plus towing. The dealer said it looks like someone was working on it, which is impossible - we do not work on our company vehicles at all, and only regular oil and filter changes have been done. I believe it came from the factory like that, and of course the warranty expired last year. Another 2010 F250 I had before this one had three valve cover bolts broken within 5 years. This required extracting the bolts by taking the valve cover off - $2000 at the dealer (for one side) and $900 for the independent shop.

Driving my 6th Ford F-250 diesel in 20 years - 2 7.3 engines, 2. 6.0 diesels, a 2008 6.4 and current 2012 6.7 with 183,000 miles. I drive mostly interstate at 10 or so over speed limit - pull 7 different trailers moving part of our equipment from job site to job site - average move 300 to 500 hard driven miles. Each truck had over 200,000 miles when I traded or sold. Have never been left on the side of the road. The 6.4 had a minor issue with sensor but no major deal. Current 6.7 by far best engine I have had. Run cetane boost regularly and you will eliminate injector and sensor issues. Either I have been lucky or my maintenance pays off.

2 Things I did not do. #1 Allow the dealer to flash the brain / updates. #2 Have the dealer work on it! As the only owner of this 2006 6.0 f-350 C/C 4x4, I would have probably stayed away from the purchase of this vehicle if I had more info on the problems @ hand @ the time of purchase. I did not, I had no, NO problems

w/ this truck as many have had. It was set up to pull large horse trailers and equipment movers. Whatever this truck was hooked to, it pulled it, from Fl. to Tn. 3/5 times a year. Except for an oversized tranny pan, oversized diff cover, and a turbo back 4" exhaust, the truck is all stock.

As most people experienced trouble @ about 70k / 95k, mine started @ 109k. Well out of warranty. My first FICM unit failed. At 112k I replaced the o-rings and dummy plugs, although not really needed, also the EGR cooler, and oil cooler. I am by no means a Diesel Mech. but a motor is motor, I now have 176k on this truck, all original hoses, water pump, NO additional motor work has been done. Yes I have let the cooling system go far too long. Only regular maintenance, fuel filters, tranny filter, and oil changes @ 5000 Mls. We're on our third set of tires, and second brakes. My Point? So many reviews here, say dealer repair, even out of warranty. Why? There are hundreds of aftermarket co.s making thousands of better parts.

Relate 2 your friends and family to steer clear of dealerships. Diesel owners stay away of technical updates. Ford 6.7 is a throw away vehicle after 150k, the 6.4 is basically the same. The 7.3, the old standby has become so very expensive to repair their flooding the used market. Oddly, If you buy Ford, the 6.2 gasser matched w/ the Super Duty Transmission will do the same work as the Diesel. Humm. I will say, I was here to read up on the new f-150s. Won't be buying one of them, thanks to the reviewers on this site. Don't need a big puller rig, so back to Toyotas, no Fords.

2005 F-250 S.D. Factory Defective Oil Cooler. Anyone that owns a Ford Diesel 6.0 L. manufactured from 2004 thru 2007 understands or at a minimum has experienced the five to ten thousand dollars in repair cost associated with this engine running hot oil, oil averaging temperatures well over an average of 210 degrees when they should average around 195. In fact Ford is currently settling in most cases not settling thousands of class action lawsuits due to this very issue. All the way from Sam Packs Five Star Ford where I purchased it new to Rush Truck Center in Dallas Texas where I have it serviced I get nothing but lip service. My last incorrectly designed oil cooler Rush Truck Center installed at 4,112.17 after 30 K miles is once again failing. The two thousand dollar high pressure oil pump that was installed at the Vernon Tx Dealership is another part related to running hot oil, just to mention one of many expensive repairs.

I even called the Ford Motor Company Consumer Complaint Dept 800-392-3673, and spoke to a very friendly young lady who suggested I have it fixed at Park Cities Ford two miles from our residence. Once again lip service, I'm not sure they even employ a good diesel mechanic since that dealership sells mostly cars. Diesel buyers do yourself a favor, they might not look as good in my opinion but purchase a CHEVROLET DURAMAX!!! A time and proven engine and I'm betting a company that will help with a proven problem that Ford to this day refuses to help hard working individuals like myself who need to be able to count on their truck and the service required to keep it running. I spent 56 K on this truck new, around 7K in repair cost associated with this oil coolers poor design and Ford at every level not only will not give me a dealership which will Bulletproof it or any effective aftermarket part which will fix the problem, but they all could care less.

I recently purchased an F-250 Super Duty after a bad experience with a Chev 1 ton diesel 4x4. I test drove the F-250 but not long enough to discover the truck sets too high and climbing in and out of it a dozen times a day leaves me in much pain. I am vertically challenged, 5-10, and have a leg problem so it is my fault for buying a truck that has this problem but I don't understand why it has to be so high up to get into the driver's door. I've spent a lot of time looking for a way to lower the truck but am told there is none. I guess I'm stuck with the truck but Dodge is looking better and better.

Bought this 2008 F-350 truck with a 6.4 engine in it from a friend at Hillyer's Ford in Or. Had 44,000 miles on it at the time. It has been a mechanical disaster since we purchased it in 2011. Fuel pump issues, ejector issues, 2 pistons at 2 separate times so now we have more than 30,000 into a truck that has only 124,000 miles on it. It has mostly been in a mechanic's shop instead on the road or at its home. We are never, never going to purchase a Ford vehicle ever again!! That's a shame since we have owned at least 2 Fords ever since we were married in 1973. Tried to get some mechanics to back their work, or help Ford to realize this one is a lemon, but No!! They just want to charge you over 5,000 each time in labor alone to pull the cab and fix the "new" problem.

Ford doesn't want to stand behind this truck and neither do their "certified" mechanics. Be aware folks: They're only certified to charge you a fortune and leave you with a truck that they know will have more issues. Seems this engine isn't much better than the 6.0 one they put in through 2007. We now have a useless truck. So much for buy a diesel because they will go 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. HA HA!! Not true!

NEVER BUY A FORD TRUCK! We bought a new 2010 F350 diesel engine King Ranch. At about 30,000 miles the engine blew. They replaced most of it under warranty but not all of it. I asked to have it all replaced and was told they could only replace the parts they found to be faulty. I asked to have the warranty reset and was told that was impossible. Now at 70,000 miles the engine needs to be replaced again - not under warranty... Estimate is about $15,000. Long before the warranty ran out we had it in for loss of power and the "wrench" light being on. They said the oil level was severely overfull due to fuel in the oil system - which shouldn't be possible. We were charged an oil change and told to check the oil level every 100 miles. Oil level didn't go up so we took it in and they said everything must be fine.

Later we had the same issue and took it to another dealership who said the issue must be related to the earlier issue of the oil being severely overfull. They reset the codes and charged us for diagnostics and an oil change sent us on our way. The truck has now been at the Ford dealer for 2 weeks and no word on whether Ford will help us with the cost. NEVER BUY A FORD TRUCK!

My 2008 Ford super duty with only 57000 miles lost power driving up a hill for no known reason. This truck has been serviced according to the mfg recommendations. Towed to the nearest Ford dealer in San Bernardino and found out the engine cylinder is damaged and I need a new motor. $17,000 ARE YOU KIDDING! What a ** nightmare. I will never buy another Ford and I would recommend no one should. These trucks are lemons and Ford should be recalling all of them. I wish I never bought this truck.

I have a 08 Ford F250 Diesel 6.4L truck and I have had to replace 3 radiators on the truck and I only have 127,000 miles on the truck. The first was covered under warranty at 70K miles. Second radiator was not since I was at 100,800 miles. Now 27K miles later the 3rd radiator failure. This is a known issue from Ford and all radiators/thermostats/ cooling reservoirs should be recalled and Ford should be forced to repair.

Recently got back into a pickup truck - having owned many Fords, Chevy, and several Suburbans over past 30 years. It's been 15 years since my last "pick-up" and almost 10 since my last AWD Sub. Could NOT be happier with the 2011 F350 XLT 6.7 diesel I found - secondhand with 29,000 KMs/18,000 miles on. Original "owner" had specifically leased the truck to pull a fifth wheel.

Recent five week/15,000 km (almost 10,000 mile) trip down the Pacific Coast to Arizona/Mexico and back, saw many days of 16 mpg with 12 lowest hauling just under 4,000 in box/truck (slide in camper and "us" +). IMPRESSED with power/torque = uphill at 70 mpg+ not a problem. Only item to stay aware of was DEF usage which, understandably, gets used when motor is working. GOOD news story that I wanted to share - Ford got the 2011 F350 built right.

My new 2015 F-250 Nav entertainment factory system is unable to play CDs. Skips, garbles, etc. They play fine on my first 2011 F-250. Dealer has change out the Player twice. So we tried on another 2015 F-250 -- does the same thing. My salesperson tried his CDs as well on 2015 F-250 on their lot. Indeed it will not play his either. Dealer is saying Ford doesn't plan on fixing problem, because they don't think there is one. Last time I got similar answer from Ford, I drove Chevys for 20 years. Sure as hell disappointed in expensive piece of Junk, that Ford will do NOTHING about.

I bought a Ford F-350 about 3 years ago when I started up my business. Bought this truck thinking it would be a dependable diesel since Ford has been making them for a long time. Since I bought it used with roughly 64K miles, I have spent close to 10 thousand dollars in repairs. Talk about a huge mistake buying this truck. Every time we come off the road it's in the shop, heartbreaking knowing I'm stuck with this piece of junk because our truck keeps us working. This truck keeps our company in debt. Would like for nothing more than to get out of this piece of crap but that's impossible when I have to keep fixing this one and can't save any money to even think about getting a new truck. Very sad.

We as people fail to realize Ford Motor Co. had International manufacture these motors that were placed in these trucks. International Motors needs to man up to what they've done to the consumers. I also bought a 06 Ford F-250 King Ranch very proudly with a 6.0 60,000miles. I have 157,000 miles now. It has cost me $8,000.00 so far to own this truck in repairs. These motors were put into Fire Trucks, Ambulances, Cable Trucks, Tow Trucks, City Trucks. We all share the same problems as the next person or Company. These trucks have cost all of us a lot of money and downtime, very very disappointing.

We will never recover all that we have lost in these international motors. Ford Motor Co. can't do much either. They also took a very big hit on these motors. It has cost them so much, they did the right thing and broke away from International and started designing their own. I really hope they can recover from this. I know I won't. I still own my truck and it still costing me money. So the next time you go buy a truck or trucks don't buy anything International. This is only way of trying to recover from this. Please don't sell your problem truck to somebody else. What you have suffered in repairs they may suffer worse. DON'T BUY INTERNATIONAL!!!

2013 F250 6.7L Diesel - Just did my 55,000 mile oil change at Bill Utter Ford located in Denton Texas 11-6-2015. Service writer had technician show me a coolant leak on the driver side by the plastic drain plug. Talking with the technicians I was shocked to find that this is NOT a uncommon issue. There is absolutely no reason for a 70,000$ medium duty truck that is used for nothing more than a commuter. No towing, no performance upgrades. The dealer says 1,700.00 to replace. After reading hundreds of posts on diesel forums I have to ask who is ready for a class action lawsuit. Since 2010 Ford super duty has been plagued with radiator problems, and I believe Ford is still using faulty equipment and hammering their customers for an obvious warranty/recall issue.

I have a 2004 F350 6.0 Diesel with 74,000 miles that I use to pull my 5th wheel camper. I took my camper up to Western Maryland this past weekend and blow a head gasket. The mechanic stated this is his 4th blown head gasket on a 6.0 Ford in the past couple months. Is there a recall on this 6.0? I was going to retire and travel, but, this sure does change all the plans.

9/20/2014, I purchased a New 2015 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 truck from Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines, Iowa. It listed for $52884.00. I traded in my 2004 Crew Cab that has never given any problems since new! I loved the New truck, lots of power, ran great, had a trip planned to Montana. Vacation and hunting! I had a horse in Montana, I was bringing back with me. A snow storm came thru the 1st week of November 2014 in Billings, MT so delayed my leaving to the 2nd week. I left on November 12, 2014 early morning, clear skies but cold. Truck, trailer, dog and horse, 1100 miles back to Iowa.

All good until got passed Murdo, SD. A warning light came on, REDUCED POWER MODE. Truck slowing down, engine light on, would only run 35 mph. Things kept flashing up on screen, got pulled over on I-90. Called my local dealer thought it might be fuel gelling, added more additive (had blended fuel in truck). Asked if I turned the truck off would it start again, he did not know so left idling. Called Ford Roadside Assistance, I had between 3,000 and 4,000 miles on the truck. They would send a tow truck or I could make it to nearest dealer (Murdo SD). I called Murdo Ford they would get me in if I got there. So at 35 mph made it to next exit got turned around and back to Murdo, like 27 miles.

Murdo Ford was great. Got me in and hooked up computer. I was in a pickle, horse on board and nowhere to stay if truck down. The tech found several error message codes (turbo failure). He tested the turbo several times and no failure. I asked if he thought I could make it to Mitchell, SD where I had a place to stay with my horse and dog. He didn't know, he hooked up with Ford tech line, still didn’t know. He reset the computer and it seemed to run. I decided to try to make it. I was off, all seemed to be running good made it to Mitchell for the night.

Next morning, off again, ran OK, made it to Sioux Falls, SD. Heading to Sioux City, IA, truck error message came up and engine shutting down, again pulled over, called Ford Roadside. They would send tow truck or I could try to make it to dealer. Sioux Falls Ford couldn't get me in. So called Woodhouse Ford Blair, NE., 78 miles at 35 mph.

They got me in right away. 4 hours later still not definite problem, reloaded computer software, cleared out, and off again. Made it to Exit 220 on I-80 East just passed Williamsburg, IA. Quit again, got off exit, about 30 miles from home. I decided to turn truck off and let set for a minute. I restarted it and engine light was on but turbo seemed to work, I could go faster than 35 mph. Made it home. To the dealer on Monday. Long and short of it, 4-5 weeks to get new turbo and install it.

Been running until now, 9/30/2015, the day before I was to leave to Montana, with horses. I was going to town, truck warning light LOW FUEL PRESSURE, REDUCED POWER MODE. Just had truck service last week in anticipation of trip. Called dealer he told me to shut off and start again to see if it would clear. Did not clear so he said he would get me in if I could get there, got on I-80 East, going slow but going. Made it 1 mile and shutting all the way down, motor quit running. Called dealer he told me to call Ford Roadside for a tow. 25 min with roadside and they could not find my location to send tow truck. I tried to start my truck, it started. I told roadside I would try to drive. Made it 1.5 miles, quit again, called Roadside, 2 hrs tow truck showed up. To the dealer, hooked up computer, told me they needed to take high pressure pump apart, and gave me a car to drive.

Day 2 since towed, service called me, the high pressure pump failed metal filings in system. I called Ford Customer Care, I was to be on the road to Montana October 1, taking a load of horses to Billings, MT and then ranch job for 5 weeks, after that a hunting trip planned. Dealer said parts back ordered, Ford Customer Care said would expedite parts.

I asked for a loner truck, rental truck, new truck (Dreaming). I asked them to help with a trade on a new truck. I called dealer where I bought truck, they want $15,000 for one year newer truck and mine with 15,000 miles. (Can't do it) Day 6 Customer Care won't call me back. (Just out I guess). No truck. No news! I have owned 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004 new Ford trucks. My wife 2004 Explorer, 2011 Escape and 2014 Explorer, all new! So much for any brand loyalty. Hope you have better luck than I am having!

I recently bought an F 250 SD Ford (4x4 2015 6.7 turbo diesel), after a very unhappy Toyota Tundra experience. The Ford is a great truck, with monster power, also very quiet, and comfortable. However when paying almost $70 K for a truck, it should have better interior trim than it does. The door panels are a cheap plastic, and very plain at that. In an older version, they had employed Lariat trim seats, lights in the doors (inside). It just seems cheap, especially compared to the 1794 edition of the Tundra, but the rest of the Ford leaves the Tundra in the dust. I guess my only issue is that, after paying 70 K for this, it is like paying 150 K for a 911 turbo Porsche, and finding it has cloth seats.

I commented on F-350 3 years ago, well I'm back! After a total engine redo in 2012 at 85000 miles, and 2 more transmissions before 110,000 miles I finally sold that piece of crap to a dealer and bought a Chevy 3500, no problems since. Except I still have a 07 explorer, I mean "exploder" that's what the parts houses call them; 75,000 miles, replace radiator, and both front rotors. New computer module and transmission at 125,000 and a hosts of other noises and quirks. Goodbye Ford! I have many friends with the same issues and some have suffered financial hardships from them. I can't believe an American company could do this to us!

I have owned several Ford trucks and this 2015 while cleaning exhaust starting bucking like a cowboy on a bull. This has happened a lot and with 6k miles is unacceptable. I lost power for a good 3-4 minutes while driving and noises from under the truck that you should not hear. Anyone else out there with similar issues? Dealership bound today and see what at outcome is. My 2012 F350 had EGR issues so I am concerned.

Water in fuel (WIF) sensor failed allowing water into fuel system. 14,800 miles on a 2014 truck. Ford says they will not warranty it. Estimated $8300 repair.

This is for anyone thinking about buying a Ford f250 super duty or similar truck - don't stop and do your research. They all have the same problems no matter what year, make or model. They will just all the sudden stop running no matter where you are, highway, road, street, etc. Also the glow coil is bad and there are other problems with the front end alignment where the car is pulling to the right or left. The car gushes out water due to faulty parts. Do your research before buying. Concerned citizen. Stuck with large payments and a truck with all kind of faulty parts.

Bought 2015 F250 Dec. 2014. Drive minimal so now has less than 6500 miles on it. The other day leaving my house I take a sharp right turn driving about 15-17 mph and loss power steering & brakes mid turn. I ended up hitting a small tree. Insurance says it's my fault. Truck malfunctioned. I see a lot of Ford recalls for my same issue. Sadly dealership DIDN'T check my truck out to make sure it won't happen again, cause insurance says it's my fault. Anyone else hear if 2015 F250s with this same problem.

Ford F-250/F-350 Company Profile