2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

The Ford Expedition is a full-size SUV that was first introduced in 1997. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Ford Expedition Shop on Rydeshopper

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Expedition Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Expedition?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Expedition?

Original review: May 6, 2020

Bought a 2018 Expedition and have had nothing but problems. DO NOT BUY! I've had this vehicle in the shop more times than any vehicle I've owned. I have been a loyal Ford customer for 20 years and I think its time for a change. Ford customer service is absolutely worthless and has never offered any help. I asked for a warranty extension and the day after Ford customer service agreed to give me one they called me and told me they wouldn't. What kind of a company offers a customer something and then tells them never mind? Might be time to try Chevy.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

After 20+ years in German Diesels I wanted to sit higher as many SUV were filling my front view. Problem was I loved sitting/driving the 300SDL. My right elbow on center console or my left on door ledge. Took me 2 months until I found the Ford Expedition & the FIT as I liked. All else was fine ... I sat higher, fit great and driving was fun again!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I love the comfort of the driver's seat and the smooth ride. My Expedition handles easily and I feel 100% safe. The vehicle is easy to get into, especially since it has a grab handle on the driver's side.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The 2005 XLT model is a complete waste of money and if you do not research the car, then you are literally just throwing your money way. You fix one thing and 7 things pop up. Almost every mechanic I sent it to refused to even work on the truck. It’s name for short is The Hydra (refer to mythology). For a rebuild trans AAMCO wants $4100 and for a perfect condition trade in the truck is $400. The truck is a complete fail and I’m sorry to everyone who has this truck.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I've had a 2009, 2015 Expedition EL and switched to a 2019 Max. The ride is still amazing, handles well and is responsive. Overall this 2019 Max is a beautiful SUV and looks stunning in Black on Black but I have less than 3000 miles on the vehicle and the sunroof has stopped working and REFUSES to close. I had to play with it for over an hour to close it until I can get to the dealer. It's a poor closing mechanism and if it gets bent in the slightest the sunroof will not close or work and you could be left in a really bad situation. I also feel it's poorly designed as when opening the sunroof anything collected on top bugs, leaves or debris falls into the vehicle. It doesn't matter if stopped or driving.

I wish Ford would FINALLY make an auto close sunroof upon shutting off the vehicle. It's the one thing they have FAILED in all these years. Make sure you definitely need to read the manual to know what the symbols mean on ALL the buttons and what operates what because what button you think should open/close or turn off/on something doesn't necessarily do so! Overall GREAT SUV and highly recommend!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Ford has knowingly failed to correct paint problems of Ford Expedition vehicles equipped with aluminum body panels that exhibit bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust on vehicles as early as 2003 as per technical service bulletin TSB 19-2026 replacing TSB 17-0062. Service bulletin recommends panel replacement of affected panel. Have had no cooperation on the replacement of affected tailgate by the dealership claiming that Ford disapproved replacing affected aluminum tailgate that had bubbling and peeling paint with white dust when the vehicles was 3 1/2 years old. Spoke with Ford dealership again requesting a remedy to no avail. Ford has replaced my hood but refuses to address the tailgate issue.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Bought a NEW 2015 Ford Expedition, Limited, and now at 75k Miles, I was told I need to replace the transmission at a cost of about $6200. The car symptom was a terrifying vibration of the entire car, between 40 and 60 miles an hour and the same symptoms as the Ford Transit recall - Safety Recall 17S15 – Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Replacement – 2015-2017 Ford Transit. After 1 week in the shop and spending over $2000 in guessing repair work, I was told by the service department, they need to replace the transmission (at only 75k MILES).

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

PROs: I really like the size, power, ride, comfort, of my 2000 Expedition "WHEN it was running." CONs: I have had several mechanical issues over the past 5-10 years that I have owned this 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4ltr engine. These problems in my opinion are due to lousy engineering designs/built in job security for Ford Mechanics! My past problems are many of the "SAME" problems others have had with these vehicles.

Shifter not going into park, 4 wheel drive shifter mechanism not working/automatic transmission, engine heater coolant lines breaking, fuel pump failures, spark plugs, Coil Over Plug (COP) ignition system, rear axle oil leaks, sunroof breaking, vehicle air suspension system lousy (I replaced with old fashion springs), and the latest problem is with the engine (engine SOHC timing system using bicycle chains). I would like to switch out the 5.4 liter new engine with an old fashion non overhead cam engine with pushrods (instead of timing chains), but the USA's EPA does not allow this. What the **! I would not buy another Ford vehicle with any kind of overhead cam design now.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

2008 Expedition: First let me say I love this vehicle, roomy and powerful, gets about 14 mpg but the comfort is worth it. My only complaint is that recently it started shifting hard, I mean it threw my purse off of the seat, and there was a banging noise when I would come to a stop. Local Ford dealer said it was the shift solenoid and valve body. I had it fixed and it runs like a new vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When RPM's are at 1,000 ONLY, at any speed and both acceleration and deceleration, there is a VERY loud "humming" noise. So loud it drowns out radio and conversation. It has gotten worse and is so bad car is practically too annoying to drive. Had 2012 and 2015 Lincoln Navigators and never had this problem.

Ford Expedition Company Information