Ford Expedition

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

V8 Triton plug - My 1999 Expedition had blown through 4th plug and coil in a year. It sounds like a gun shot and stops you cold. Ford refuses to take responsibility for anything and my family of 7 has to go without as I look for another job to get this truck fixed again. But yet Ford keep enjoying those millions in bailout funds. I will never purchase another Ford in my life.

I purchased my Expedition almost two years ago with 340,000 km on it and you would think that 13 years after production and all the news about fires over the cruise control, people would get off their lazy asses and phone in their Vin to the closest dealer to see if a problem exists. My Expedition was sold 5 times and not once in the 13 years before I bought it, did a single owner check for recalls, especially when fires are concerned. I can no longer blame Ford since they've sent out the recall three times. If people don't value their own lives or their family’s lives then let them burn!! With no ill feelings towards Ford. Everyone buying a new or used vehicle today with all the technology involved within them should be phoning in their Vin number once or twice a year just to see if anything new has showed up. It's our responsibility as well to keep on top of things especially maintenance!

Love our Expedition. Drives and handles like a dream. 180K+ miles and going strong. Only complaint would be cheap plastic gears that failed in temperature blend actuators. Other than that a solid, dependable vehicle.

I have owned a Ford Explorer (forget year), a Ford Expedition 2000 and now a Ford Expedition 2004. All three of these vehicles have been incredible to drive and basically no major repairs. The first two vehicles I gave to my daughter when I got a different one. The Explorer was terrific, and the Ford Expedition that she drives now has over 270,000 miles. Yes miles on it and it is going strong. She will soon need some instrument panel repairs but that is all.

Now, my Ford Expedition 2004 has over 130,000 miles on it, and no major repairs at all. This vehicle runs like a charm and is a pure joy to drive. I have traveled the California and Florida coast pulling a trailer, and never a breakdown. Both Expedition have the 5.4 motor, and I have nothing but praise and love for these vehicles. Highly recommend them. Only complaint with Ford is that in 2007 they changed the interior of vehicles and put the gear shift on the floor rather than the steering wheel. Wish they would change that back as there is more storage space and more leg room. Thanks Ford. Love your vehicles.

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition XLT, that I dearly Loved until now. Recently my timing chain started making noise. The day before I was to take my SUV to have it repaired for the timing chain (Easter Sunday) at church no less. The timing chain broke. I was thinking "Okay it was schedule to be repair. Just an extra tow bill no big problem." Boy was I wrong. It turns out that when the chain broke while starting the vehicle it cause major damage to the engine due to it being a 5.4. According to the local dealership several of the 5.4 engine have had problems. Now to have it replaced at the dealership will be over $6000 dollar - that a hard pill to swallow. I have Loved my Ford for several year. However a company that know they have a problem with their engine and have done nothing to help out the consumer well that DISHEARTENING at the very least.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

I have a 2010 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. This is the 3rd Expedition I have owned. The other 2 ran great until the time I traded them in. I have maintained the 2010 per the owner's manual's recommendations since I purchased it. At the 100,000 mile point the dealer replaced the spark plugs, wires, did the engine flush and all the required maintenance. I've change the oil every 5,000 miles and a tire rotation every 10,000. At 129,000 miles I started to hear a little ticking and felt that the engine was missing. The repair person informed me that the engine had failed, that the valve in cylinder 3 was gone and I needed to replace the head for $6,300 or replace the engine with a rebuilt engine for $9,000. Not very happy because the service person told me that this is very typical with the Ford Expeditions. Too bad, because I've had other vehicles, most notably GM products that have had over 200,000 and still the engines were going strong.

While I'm not in a position to purchase another vehicle, I do like everything else about the Expedition, I am getting it fixed. Ford needs to do something about their engine reliability before I can tell anyone I will purchase their vehicles again. I'm now a little concerned that I recently recommended that my son buy a Ford, which he unfortunately did. Sincerely, a previously loyal Ford Customer.

2003 Ford Expedition 4.6 liter - I purchased with payments 4 years ago. With me only driving 1 mile to work daily I haven't put much mileage on it. My motor went with no notice. 123,000/m on it. Had oil, just had tune up 2 months ago? Not sure what to do? 4x4 lights blink.

This 2008 Ford Expedition limited XLT handles and rides well. It is agree at family cruiser. However a person should consider the maintenance issues before buying this expensive gas hungry SUV. Here are some manufacture flaws that Ford is aware of but make no changes year after year of the same run of model. Aluminum tailgate and hood the paint blisters after year 4 despite years of waxing. Spark plugs seize and break upon removal. Exhaust manifold bolts break off and warp. Plastic tee and wye fittings on radiator hoses become brittle and break leaving you stranded on the road.

Sudden major transmission leak from bulkhead connector rubber gasket ring drying out. Slow drive axle leaks in several places. Bottom of front heated and cooled seats fail due to a plastic collapsed manifold and we are not heavy people. I am worried what more is to come. These problems are expensive to fix and basically it is embarrassing that such an expensive vehicle has so many engineered design issues and basically lacking quality control. If you further research you will find these problems occur on many Expeditions.

I own a 2001 Ford Expedition which I upgraded from my 1999. This car is a death trap! Whenever it rains or snows, I can control every electrical device with my headlight knobs. Now when I say electrical devices I mean my radio, heater, windshield wipers and inside dome lights. Unfortunately, I cannot control my windows or door locks. My 4x4 is always clicking on and off while driving down the road. It doesn't matter if I'm going 10mph or 55mph. To make matters worse, when I am at a light with my foot on the brake my RPM's will rev up and my car will start going. I called corporate offices and since my car falls out of all warranty ranges you can't help??? So when I die or kill someone else due to mechanical failure you better bet yourself that I will see Ford in court.

We bought a 2003 Ford Expedition with 65000 miles on it. We drove it till 170000. The only thing we had to replace in 100000 miles was the battery and alternator. In the last 1000 miles my wife had failed to make the last couple oil changes and never added any oil either. So after hearing some weird knocking sounds for 30 miles I decided to investigate and found that the oil wouldn't read on the dipstick. I added a couple quarts of oil and the car still driving. This car had the least amount of repairs of any car I have ever owned. Would buy another one for sure.

I owned a 2004 Ford Expedition 4.6L V8 2-wheel drive. This car was regularly maintained at a couple of different shops for oil changes. One day without warning my wife parked at a store and the car did not start again. I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem and was able to start the car by pumping the gas pedal. When it did start the car sounded like it was knocking. I check the oil and it was very low, almost dry. Car was not burning oil, did not have a leak, did not alert low oil pressure, and was not due for an oil change. I have had a couple mechanics look at it and the engine is blown only with 160,000 miles on it and they can't figure out how this happened. Has anyone encounter anything like this? I expected a lot more from a well maintained Ford motor!

Everything coils, spark plugs, brakes, popping noise under the hood. Wheel bearings headaches and more headaches. Headlights is not bright enough also so be sure to always use your fog lights. This is my 2006 Ford Expedition and my last Ford vehicle.

I have 2007 model Expedition EL. It was running fine. Suddenly experienced vibration problem at 110 to 120 km/hr speed. Please suggest what to do?

I bought my 2013 Ford Expedition less than two years ago. The deal seemed excellent at the time (value for money) in comparison to other SUVs. However, I did not expect to report 5 warranty related issues in less than 2 years. Mirror Motor being always stuck. The solution after 3 complaints was to replace the motor. Rear Suspension System leakage. Noise in the Transmission, which resulted in flushing the transmission oil. Passenger Door Alignment issue which causes noise in the car. AC not being able to cool fast enough. I like the car, it is big, safe and was not terribly expensive. Yet, I am very confident of two things: My next car will not be Ford; I am super glad for purchasing the extended warranty.

Bought a 2006 Ford Expedition from Ford in Jersey City. Only had it for 5 months, did all required maintenance on the vehicle. One day, driving to work, the engine seized and the vehicle shut off. Took it to the mechanic, and he claimed to take it to Ford because there was a major engine issue that they needed to address. Brought it to them and the representative told me I would hear back within 24 hours. Well, it took them 6 days to respond! Then they wanted me to speak to a manager who wanted to put me in a 2001 Expedition and finance the vehicle for 36 months. This is before I was told that I would have to pay $10,000 for a brand new Engine or 6,000 for a used one. Now I have a vehicle that only turns on for 20 minutes at a time that has sat since July!

My 1997 Expedition made a loud bang sound and then sounded like a deck of cards on a bike spoke. As I waited for the tow truck I found that there are many other Ford owners with the same problem. I'm done with Ford. When will a company own up to their defaults?

I picked up my son from swim team practice one afternoon. When I tried starting the truck, it was stuck from the steering column, so for a moment I tinkered with it and was then able to turn the key. Only it was stuck again, this time to turn over and engage. I could feel it stuck, so I jimmied the key and pressed against the mechanism the key falls into as you turn it. (I hope that made some sense). In other words, I removed the plastic house that your key goes into, and pushed the key forward to allow it to turn. There. That was better.

Truck started, we went on our way. We stopped at a few eyeglass stores and our final stop was our last ever again. 3 months after receiving this vehicle from a stranger that helped us when we needed it most, my Expedition, my beast, was doomed! We returned to the Expedition within 6 minutes at eyemart, turned the key on, theft light on the dash started to blink, and my beast never ran again. It has been almost one year that this happened, it is still parked, calling out to me, asking me to hold on to faith so that we will once have our gift of a lifetime. That was the greatest worst thing ever!

Changed spark plugs, oxygen sensor and my car has still the same problem which is more gas consuming per mileage, raw gas smell, engine shaking.

I have following concern about my NEW Expedition: 1. Wind Noise Voice from front glass. 2. Wind Noise Voice from all doors. Company is not able to fix the problem.

Hard to have air condition fixed. Found parts at Napa. Very reasonable. Got it fixed. Love my cold air. LOL. Love my 2000 Ford Expedition.

I wrote a complaint about my 2007 Ford Expedition showing bad signs of rust; true it is 9 years old, but how many vehicles do you see with multiple rust issues even if you leave near the coast AND even if people don't take care of their vehicles like I do mine. Rust holes have eaten right through the roof, multiple spots bubbling up on rear hatch and hood. Now, the engine is a whole other issue. I am not a new car person. I drive them till the wheels fall off; so I have driven vehicles near 200,000 miles multiple times.

Never have I for one seen rust issues like stated above, but nor have I had to spend so much money once it hit a 100,000 miles as I have on this Ford Expedition. I spent $7000 + during the time frame 100,000 to 117,000 miles. 1st was the fuel pump, next was multiple engine sensors, when the tune-up was done, found out they used spark plugs with caps on the ends that break off and cost an extra $50 (if your lucky) to get out per plug, I had 3 break. Camshaft pulleys was next then the camshaft rod. Window motor, and this Ford has 2 motors per window. Wiper blade motor.

I drove a brand new GMC Z-71 and sold it at 176,000 miles and never had not one of these issues except tune-up and the spark plugs didn't break! If the Ford wasn't paid for I would have already gotten rid of it, and still plan on it, but when I do I won't be buying a Ford. All you have to do is google Expeditions and you will see many others complaining about the camshaft issues, rust, spark plugs. Ford has done nothing to stand by their vehicle.

I love my 2006 Ford Expedition. It fits my lifestyle. It has been a great vehicle and I find it comfortable to drive. I have taken immaculate care of this vehicle since walking on the lot and paying cash. We have had all of the scheduled care and maintenance and no one has ever opened the hood except my Ford Dealership. At 118,000 miles the coils and spark plugs failed. This caused a devastating destruction of the cylinders. I am now looking at an 8500.00 dollar bill to replace an engine on a vehicle that is nine years old. After doing some research I find that this is NOT an uncommon problem with the Expedition in this year. I have to give my mechanic at Ford kudos for at least sympathizing with me and doing the best he is capable given the situation.

I am LIVID. I should NOT be having to replace an engine in a 45,000 car I paid cash for. I LOVE this vehicle and it hurts to see it sitting in my driveway not able to run. I am so angry.

I just purchased an 05 Ford Expedition on May 5, 2015 and I'm having problems with it. When I put it in drive and ride on the highway it stalls. I have to put it in 2 to get it to go. Also when I stop at a stoplight, it shakes like it's going to cut off. I've done some research and after reading all the complaints I'm scared to death something major like catching on fire may occur. And to know Ford knows and won't do a recall is tragic. And I'm paying on it. I work and go to school and can't even afford the expenses at the moment. I need advice. Also contacted the consumer attorney office and it's nothing they can do.

My '97 Expedition 4x4 got stuck in low range. Took transfer case motor off truck. Turned the selected position to High 4x4. But no luck. Replaced the throttle sender. Helped a little. Done the plugs. Still can't go over 60 mph on interstate. Not good!!! Don't wanna get rid of it!! What can I do?? Will replacing the tranny help??

I am glad I read this forum. Now I know that this is a very common problem. I have always considered myself a Ford person. I owned many Fords. But my 2002 Expedition "EB" edition 4 wheel drive 5.4 Triton has been a headache. First, the A.C. stopped blowing through the vents. Then it caught on fire, thankfully my husband was outside when he seen fire coming from the hood! That was taking care of ASAP, my Uncle is a mechanic. Well, then begins the engine problems... shaking, we changed spark plugs, coil packs, air filter, MAF Sensor.. and now it is knocking! Not to mention that my daughters and I have almost been killed almost couple times due to it stalling in front of oncoming traffic! I now make sure that no traffic is coming anywhere near us even if the impatient idiots are honking their horns behind us, they apparently are not driving an Expedition!

My Expedition 2012 at 78 000. I had to rebuild the engine. Now my car is at the dealer shop. Problem with the transmission. At this moment the car can not start after I drove the car to the dealer.

My husband and I have a 1999 Ford Expedition. We have had ongoing problems with plug/coils going bad. Finally after replacing all the coils the engine blew. We replaced it with another Triton engine. It did fine for about 18 months. Coils started to go bad again. Just got a call from our mechanic. Another blown engine. He just replaced a bad coil 2 weeks ago. Out of frustration I checked online to see if there was a record of this problem. Lo and behold it is an epidemic.

There is obviously a defect in this engine. We have spent good money after bad on this truck and cannot afford to buy another vehicle. My family has always been a Ford family. My uncle was a Ford Master Mechanic in the 60's and 70's. I am completely deflated that this problem has been so widespread and Ford has done nothing to correct it. I am reporting our experience here but is there a place where the accumulated complaints could be tracked and somehow force Ford to do something?

Went and bought a 2013 Expedition XLT.. certified and was very happy until about 3 weeks went by and could not figure out the smell - musty mildew smell. I took it back 2 times and they offered me an equal trade in for around the same year, same price range. So we picked it up and now this one has the exact smell and it's only been 4 days... not sure where to go from here???

I bought a 2001 Ford Expedition and after a few days going down the road, it made a noise and it sounded like it was blowing air out the top of the motor. I had it checked out, the number 3 spark plug had blower out of the motor. I checked out the problem, it seems that a lot of people has had this problem. The Ford companies should something about this.

Our 03 Expedition makes a loud high-pitch shrill noise from the dash whenever we open any door while the vehicle is running. The noise stays steady for about 5 minutes and then it just stops. We have to be certain that the vehicle is turned off before we can open any door so that the high-pitch noise doesn't come on. However, when the vehicle is off the shrill is faintly heard in the dash. Also, the back tailgate remained locked we couldn't open it at all. A mechanic got it to open but now it won't lock!

No one has serviced the shrill so far. We just had the fuel pump and a spark plug replaced (a $1,000.00 repair bill) because the vehicle began to lose acceleration while driving down the road. This mechanic said that he thought the shrill was the fuse board that only Ford can replace or service, and now he thinks that it might be related to the alternator. We are the original owner and up to now the vehicle has been flawless. It has only 48,000 miles. Now we're totally confused.

Ford Expedition Company Profile