1.24/5
Based on 100 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

160 eBay Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

If a company constantly ignores your complaint, fails to call you back, and allows their name and reputation to be demoralized... It appears they ARE THE ROOT ISSUE. It is my belief, eBay motors is behind the scam as they the benefactors of the payments made! I am the victim of eBay Fraud, purchase of a used vehicle in which I paid for in full using eBay gift card totaling $3200.00 on 05/18/2018 and 05/20/2018. I realized I was not going to get the merchandise and it was a fraud scheme in which the issue was reported 05/21/2018 to eBay. eBay placed a hold on all the gift cards. It is my belief eBay is in collusion with the scam or the cloaked scammer, as eBay has benefited from the fraud and received the $3,200. eBay continues to give me the run around.

Today is 06/18/2018, and I have exceeded all the eBay demands, since 05/21/2018 date reported. I continue getting passed around to “general customer service” representatives, as asked the same questions. This purchase was for my daughter birthday, June 10. eBay has failed to respond and acts in a manner as though they are colluding with the scammers for unjust enrichment. eBay is in collusion with these thieves because eBay and the scammers both profit, perpetuating this mass thievery eBay customers by doing nothing. This is both unethical and illegal. eBay is deliberately Making Your Experience Worse.

I sacrificed for years as a single parent, to save this money. Now the disgusting “unclean hands” of eBay and his obviously employed collusion team has committed fraud upon me and the public, as the public will incur the expenses of utilization of Government regulatory agencies for enforcement. Therefore these continual and ongoing acts of fraud upon the public is costly to all. Interest is earned on those funds that are in your account but not at your disposal, and that interest is not being passed on to you. And while the interest earned on my $3200 unjustly, surely minuscule to eBay, however not to a single parent as myself, the profits from dubious "holds" and “lack of response” must be staggering.

I will not allow this to go unpunished and I will move to have charges filed via an investigation into eBay and those employed by eBay for colluding with and adjoining to fraud the public. eBay has become a danger to the public and the publics’ economic stability and trust. To reiterate, my personal experience, nothing less than aggravating and frustrating, evolving into disgust. But it seems that this collusion offers a BIG chance for these companies to screw over the consumers and eBay to be unjustly enriched. I would advise anyone who encounters any major problems to report your claims to the FTC and your state's Attorney General office, as it eBay’s position to avoid resolving issues. Moreover, file a lawsuit in court, as many states like Maryland, you are entitled to your money multiplied.

After eBay must answer to thousands of lawsuits. Maybe they will take the position of “practicing what it preaches” when it comes to the safety and security of its customers. As a FREQUENT, almost daily delivery, customer of Amazon, this is a matter that would have been handled immediately and resolved ten (10) times over with Amazon. That is the difference with the integrity and dignity bestowed within the companies.

With that stated, the campaign commences on June 1, 2018, to boycott eBay until it is prepared to honor its pledge with its customers, end its collusion, treat and honor its customers with respect and urgency and hire staff equipped to solve issues on an urgent basis. Companies of this nature only understand or care when they see the bottom line decline. Join me in eradicating their bottom line until they are able to live up to their pledge. I will also commence a class action lawsuit for the victims of this collusion. I chose not to be victim to eBay for another second.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I saw a post on Facebook that a guy aunt had a Honda Accord 2004 for sale. He gave a email adress ** saying that the aunt doesn’t have Facebook. That’s the only way we can connect with her so I did I paid 1500.00 in gift cards and the next day I receive another email from motor that I need to pay another 500.00 for insurance. I paid it and now I realized it was a scam. I need help to know how I can get my money back.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

They have some people, running scams on here all the time, about vehicles that they are selling, it is not true at all, there is a lady stating that she is sell a 2007 Nissan Murano SL, for 1500.00, first it was advertised on offer - up so, if any see an ad for any Murano with 87,000, DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: May 5, 2018

DON'T DO IT! RUN AWAY! GO NO FURTHER IF YE VALUE YER GOLD! I literally made an account just so I could write this review. Most of the other faithful here on this board were scammed via Craigslist or the actual eBay site; They almost got me through the newspaper. Is nothing sacred?!? I see an ad in the paper for a too good to be true sale, call the number and get a Google robot telling me it is no longer in service. First red flag. I let it lie. I get a text, three weeks later telling me they put it out the ad for their "uncle" and gave me his email address. Second red flag. I send an email. Seconds later, I get a spiel about a military man being deployed and that the price is so good because he's tired of negotiating and blah blah blah.

I'm chomping at the bit at this point so I do what most millennials do and looked up reviews. BOY WAS I THANKFUL! I COULDN'T BELIEVE THE SIMILARITIES!!! A nephew setting up the con, a great car with 77,000 miles on it and in perfect condition. It seems the other variation to the story is a dead relative. Man that is twisted. Vets and dead family members. These perps know where to hit us true red white and blue blooded Americans. Shame on them. A pox on them. May all of their endeavours fail and other men enjoy their spoils. I appreciate the wealth of testimonies here, without which, me and my family would without 3 G's and a car. Preesh.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Purchased a car that was over 10 years old. What we received was not what was described. I contacted eBay Motors who said basically nothing they can do. Would not even intervene. Really disappointing. I really am going to rethink using eBay ever again. We were shipped a pile of junk not the car that was described. When we contacted the seller she played it as her being only a 68 year old woman what does she know as well as saying we expected a new car. I corrected her and said, "No. We did not expect that. However we expected a car that was described." We had to have it towed to a mechanic who also verified it's junk. Not even worth fixing what is wrong with it. Shame on eBay for not protecting the buyers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I was looking for a handicap van for my elderly mother. You know the saying "If it's too good to be true, then it is". Believe it! I went on eBay Motors website looking for a van. I saw a 2008 Burgundy Dodge Caravan in Plano, Texas. It showed some good pictures! I emailed the supposed seller. A person by the name of Leora contacted me back. Gave me this spiel about her veteran husband getting injured in Iraq. How he is no longer here and how hard it was to talk about it! They lost their home and she have health issues, raising three kids with the help of her parent in the El Paso area. Thank God for to the internet; I checked the reviews!!!

Thanks to all who took the time to warn others! I also checked eBay agreement where it states they are not liable in certain situations. Do not deal with the sellers via emails, especially if you can't meet with the person and see the vehicle. ALWAYS took someone with you if you do! This is evil times. And it's sad that we have people that out to steal, rob, and deceive you via the Internet. The names and stories will change. Do not fall pretty to these evil people.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I went on Craigslist to buy a car from a owner. I found a white 2004 Toyota 4Runner for sale of $2000.00 in really good shape. Was contacted by who was supposed to be the owner, asked me to send $2000.00 thru eBay Motor Protection Co. I sent the money then a friend told me about eBay scamming practice so I called to get a refund which they promised, a guy picked up the phone listened for a minute and hung up. I called back but no answer. I wish I had known about this before I sent my hard earned money and I just sent it yesterday.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Found a 2005 Honda on Facebook Marketplace in my locality requesting I send an email to this person's aunt. Received email from her stating this was her daughter's car who had passed away and she had moved to a southern state and I live in the Midwest. I had to get $1000 in eBay cards and call number on email and they verified that the money was sent. Next day received email requesting an additional $600 for insurance to ship vehicle. Said I would receive the money back when car was delivered as I had 5 days to test vehicle before deciding. If I didn't want vehicle they would pick up free and refund my money. I checked on internet and see that this is a scam. Very disappointed. Any way I can get my money back from eBay cards???

Original review: March 8, 2018

When looking for a vehicle for my son, we came across what appeared to be a Louisiana-based site that sold cars. It was a 2004 Toyota Camry with 84K miles (garage-kept, clean, and in very good condition). The seller was “Jaymes **, a U.S. Air Force service member, stationed in Nebraska, but soon to be moving to Alaska.” We made contact with him last week, and received subsequent email responses on Saturday, 3/3/18 and today, 3/7/18. Ultimately we were told to use “CASH and purchase (2) $500 eBay Gift Cards, scratch the backsides off, and take photos of each, then reply to the sent email with this information!” In addition we were to “photo the eBay gift card receipts, provide the receiver name, address, and amount.”

They were to hold the payment until we were satisfied with the product... then “would receive further details regarding the shipping process after the payment confirmation” (seems out of order!?). Needless to say this sounded very suspicious, so Google searched “eBay Motors” and came across numerous negative reviews and complaints! We immediately ceased communications with “Jaymes!” Consumers BEWARE - do your company research! If it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I am so glad to all you who posted the auto scam because I was just about to send my money. I seen on Craigslist a truck for 1000. I answered the text. The person selling the truck Eva ** her son responded to me through text and gave me her email. She said her husband just died 3 months ago and she can't stand to look at the truck so she's selling it through eBay. I am suppose to buy 2 eBay cards with 500 a piece. Give eBay the numbers and they will ship the truck to me in 3 days. I have 7 days to try out the truck and if I don't like it I can ship it back and Eva ** will pay for the shipping. How about that scam. Well eBay won't be getting my hard earned money TODAY. Thank you ALL.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This place is horrible!! I paid what I thought for a car of 1000 and then they asked for more money! I was uneasy at first and that sealed it! I’m out a 1000 dollars. I am a single mom!! Scammers!! Don’t ever use this place!! Offer Up is also connected with this site!! Run from them both!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I currently purchased a vehicle and they told me a story about a passing relative and asking for 1000 for insurance and I noticed it’s a scam based on other reviews based on the same story. Is there any way to get my money back??? I paid the 1000 this morning. Is it too late??

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was just recently ALMOST scammed by a "lady" named Olivia **. Her "nephew" had made a post about a 2005 Honda Accord for $1500 and listed an email address. She emailed me back and said it had 77,000 miles on it, never had paint/bodywork, was garage kept, all the electric worked and good tires. Said her husband suddenly passed away and it had too many bad memories and needed it gone asap. She said she just moved to another state and set it up thru eBay Motors so she didn't have to be present. I would send my money and they would deliver the car and I'd have five days to inspect it. Said she wouldn't get the money until I decided to purchase after inspection. Something just didn't feel right about it so I researched and found literally thousands of the same story! Beware if you come across Olivia **... Whoever it is almost got me for $1500!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I live in Spain and I love classic American cars from the 70th. I was looking into eBay Motors and found a nice 1978 Buick Rivera on auction. I was the high bidder and won the car. I got in contact with the seller the day after thru eBay's email system. I got the seller's bank details and I wired him the total of 5520 Dollars and as he lived near NY-port he promised to deliver the car to a shipper I found for shipping of the car to Spain. My shipper needed a copy of the Title of the car, but the seller never send it. I tried 11 days with lots of mails to get him to send me a copy to fulfill the shipper's needs. He said, as he is old school he could not do this, as he does not know how to scan and send the document.

He said he regrets the deal and promised to send my money back to my overseas account which he never did. I wrote lots and lots of emails to eBay help center and they could not help me, telling me to take contact with the police near to seller's address, which I did. The local officer said he will not help me, as he does not know who I am and anybody could call in there to make people trouble... I am a disabled person, saving a long time to fulfill me the dream of a classic car and now this happens to me. That leaves me with no car and no more money. I am crushed and despaired!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

eBay allows fraud account holders to make purchases on their sites, without verifying their accounts and then holds sellers responsible when selling. eBay should improve their selling platform and protect their sellers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I answered ad for 2004 Honda Accord on Craigslist last month. I should have known this is too good to be true. I needed this car for my disable son. The seller give me this sad story that her son died in car accident with his fiancé by the hands of an drunk driver. They copy eBay Motors websites down to the tee. Asked me to sent 1st $1500, then another day $1000 for insurance and shipping. This was my last bit of saving. The contact person name "Amanda **" pretended like she was making out the title for my son, all along no heart just playing me.

I always shop on eBay for miscellaneous items never had a fraud problems. This is a trusted site, so I let my guard down. Please I trying to closed these scammer down. I notified all the FTC and Fraud company to be on alert for these scammer. We have to stop them they needs to be prosecuted to the fullest. They will loses much more won't they are caught. No weapon form against me with ever prosper. This is written in the Bible.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Very similar to the other reviewers, wish I had found this page first! Husband found an RV on Craigslist and seller said they used eBay Motors to process payment to protect both of us. They said they were selling cheap because they were being deployed, (similar to other stories) and they would arrange shipping of the vehicle. Got an official looking email from eBay Motors giving instructions on payment which included Visa gift cards and emailing the information and photos of the cards to them. We sent the info and the next morning "eBay Motors" emailed and said they needed $1000 more for taxes and shipping but it would be refunded to us upon receipt of the vehicle.

This didn't make any sense to us so we started looking online and found this site where we found reviews that sounded just like us! We called Visa to see if the cards had been processed. 3 of the 4 cards were pending. Visa froze the unused card and said we could dispute the other 3 cards once the transactions were complete. I contacted the real eBay 1-866-540-3229 and they verified that it was not really them, (eBay doesn't use gift cards), and instructed us to email all correspondence to car@ebay.com. They assured us that they had created a file for us and would assist in our Visa dispute. Hopefully we will be able to recoup the rest of our money! Too good to be true!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Like the 142+ other reviews on this site, I have experienced a similar situation July 2017 in a potential purchase of a motorcycle. I went back and forth on the Craigslist email about wanting to meet in person to look at the motorcycle as it was located 3 hours away and I was going to be in town and that I needed a phone number and directions, they asked for us to use our email. Each time the person did not give name or phone number as requested and the last response said "Use your email", so I sent an email via my own and then I got the response like many others. If this sounds familiar to you... RUN as fast as you can, Do Not Continue the Dialog and Do Not Give Them Any Money!!!

Original review: July 24, 2017

2008 Honda Accord 82K miles on it. Knew it sounded too good to be true. You have to be a complete ** to sell a car like that for only 1,500. Anyway, you think these scammers would have the decency to at least change their story up once or twice? Lol. They must think we are dumb. It's a good little scam though. Everyone needs cars and everyone looking for a car is desperate. So kudos to them for that idea. The lady gave me the ** story about her dead son in a bike accident. Me, having no emotions, didn't feel even a gram of sympathy for said lady. I was more so intrigued to know if he "died" on a motorcycle or if he "died" on a bicycle. Anyway. Don't let these ** scam you out of your money because you're hungry for a car.

Original review: June 21, 2017

So my Husband is in the market for a used truck. He found a truck on Craigslist and it seemed good. He contacted the seller. She said she was in the Army and husband died and she was being deployed and wanted to sell the truck. My Husband is a retired disabled vet so he agreed to buy the truck for 1500.00. She told him eBay Motors was handling the sale and shipping was free because someone else had agreed to buy it and paid the shipping already.. All he had to do was get 3 $500.00 eBay gift cards and send them pictures of them. They would ship the truck and he had 5 days to decide if he wanted it or not, after 5 days if he wanted it they would then ask for the cards.

I seen red flags all over this. So I called eBay customer service and they told me they do not accept payment of gift cards only credit cards or PayPal. They also asked me to send the email to them so they can look into it. Thank goodness I followed my gut on this or we would have lost $1500.00 which is a lot to us being retired.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I ordered and paid for a car that I thought was on eBay Motors. Was instructed to buy eBay gift cards to submit payment. Yes, I should have known better!. Anyway, by the time I realized that I had been scammed, the scammers had spent one of the four gift cards. Called that night and was told eBay wouldn't do anything but that I should report it to the FTC. So I did that. Called back the next morning and was told, one of the cards had already been spent but that they would freeze the three remaining cards and I could call back in a week to get new numbers for those three remaining cards.

Well, now it is more than 2 weeks later so I called again. This time I was transferred to 3 different "departments". Finally got to a guy who said, yes they have my documentation (since May 24th) but it was still under review. There is no way to talk to the "department" that is supposed to be investigating this. This last person got frustrated with me, I understand, but he is not out $2000.00!!! Still waiting.

Original review: June 11, 2017

Found a 2001 Nissan Altima SE on Craigslist.org with only 90,532 miles and it only cost $500. The seller name Francisca **, claim that she have to "leaving with my unit Brigade Combat Team back to South Korea replacing the troops scheduled to come home." She ask for my phone number, name, and address, so she could gave it to eBay Motor. eBay email me on what step I have to take, it also include her address, so I google her address on Google map and it appear to be non-existent address, because of that I didn't took the next step. When something sound or look like it too good to be true, it is.

Original review: June 9, 2017

eBay and ConsumerAffairs saved me from a scam. I had answered an ad in a local paper in The Villages, FL for a 1993 Ford truck. I called the number, ** & left a message. About 10 days later I get a text advising me her aunt was the actual owner and email her at **. Caryn answered my emailed with a wonderful description. "Condition of the truck is excellent, no mechanical problems, very well maintained, never wrecked or involved in an accident, title clear, legally under my name, 69,035 actual mileage, 4x4, 8 cyl, automatic transmission, 5.0L engine size, burgundy exterior, gray interior. The price is $2,456." She said she got the truck in a divorce settlement & didn't need it, so selling ASAP. I replied wanted to see the truck, requesting a time to see it or meet her. She promptly sent me 12 pictures and stated the truck was in Enid, Oklahoma as after divorce she got a job there.

The truck was in a warehouse all packed up for shipping & the deal was through eBay Motors. I said I would purchase so promptly an email arrived in my personal email with invoice & instructions to pay with eBay gift cards in $500 increments as that was the limit on gift cards. Everything looked authentic. Called the 866-466-0567 eBay number on the invoice. It was answered eBay Support by Mary ** and she assured me the seller was only using eBay Motors for the shipping due to eBay protection, thus no listing on eBay auction website.

I then googled eBay Motors complaints and read your reviews. I called my husband, fortunately caught him just as he was about to get the cards to purchase. I located the real eBay support number 866-540-3229, spoke to Joyce who confirmed this is a scam. She had me forward my emails from Caryn to eBay at car@ebay.com. I called Mary back at the fake eBay number asking to speak with her supervisor, she said hold and then hung up. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM. Thank you ConsumerAffairs and eBay as I am truly grateful. I had purchased about 70 items from eBay, mostly collectibles and car parts, and I knew they always contacted me thru my eBay inbox and then confirmed to my personal email, WATCH OUT FOR ADS IN RETIREMENT COMMUNITIES AND FOR CARYN ** AND MARY **. AGAIN THANK YOU CONSUMERAFFAIRS AND EBAY.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm just adding this to confirm what appears to be an ongoing scam - possible abuse to be aware of when using eBay for buying cars. I found a car that sounded a bit too good to be true - necessary details were missing or were on the vague side, so I contacted the seller via email. She gave me the same story I'm seeing here: she was in the medical military service, going to be deployed shortly, and that's why the car was selling for such a great price. Then she asked me for personal info that she would give to eBay, so they could contact me with the transaction details. After reading the stories listed here, my experience was too familiar to those where people had been scammed. So - thank you for this website! I dodged the bullet.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Responded to an ad yesterday on the internet looking for local sales. I cannot recall for sure the exact site as I only wrote the contact number for her. It was most likely Craigslist, Aiken SC or Augusta, GA. Got a response in a little while from a person identifying herself as Martha, husband just died and has bad memories and just want to get rid of it. Sent me a link to view all the photos of it as there were none on the ad itself. Later she tells me she has moved to her hometown of Omaha, Nebraska and eBay is handling the sale for her. I went ahead with it as it sounded like a great deal and did not want to miss an opportunity. I got an invoice from eBay for the vehicle today and it appears to be legit, but too many unanswered questions!!! Called eBay support and got someone in Asia so I just hung up.

Original review: May 15, 2017

As a previous buyer on eBay Motors and buying 2 previous cars, I wanted to share a recent bad experience I had and was not resolved with eBay dispute resolution process. I bought a BMW on eBay, used the vehicle autocheck history option to check on the vehicle history, accidents, water damage and more. I was also told by the owner that it was "well maintained" and serviced. He said that there was nothing to worry about as eBay has a great reputation for selling quality cars. Well unfortunately, the car looked amazing, but was never maintained.

The service records for my "well serviced" were completely empty and not performed. I also was notified by the dealership that the vehicle was also in fact involved in an accident. I contacted eBay, as I was upset over several issues and was told because the car was 10 yrs. old... Tough luck! eBay said the only thing I could do was write negative feedback! What a joke. My advice, buy local, take it to a mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected. No more eBay Motors for me.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Someone hacked into my account and bought a camera and had it sent to P.O. Box which I thought wasn't allowed. The camera was not paid for and it was sent to a state that was 1000 miles from my house. eBay shut me down and still refuses to find this guy, it's not just eBay motors that suck. It's all of eBay. It's like talking to a robot that has no emotion or feelings and they still refuse to let me back on. I have bought 5 cars from eBay and 3 of them were a scam that cost me more money. That got me nowhere.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I cannot believe I fell for the online scam of purchasing a vehicle. I am in desperate need of a car. I had a little money saved up and this car seemed too good to be true. And it was. It was a 2009 Honda Accord. Through many emails the girl finally said she was on base going through training, I live not far from a military base and asked could I meet her (I thought she was there. She had a local telephone number). She said she was at another base and the car was there with her but she would ship it to me as soon as I paid. I had an uneasy feeling about the whole but paid without doing any more research. Then she asked for more money, that's when I looked into and I got scammed. :(

I called my bank to try and stop the transaction. I put in a claim and the bank told me to go to Walmart where I did the MoneyGram and ask if they could stop it, but it was too late. So be on the lookout for a Theresa ** and the so called eBay agents Clark ** and Adrian **. And be on the lookout for a Alicia **, she claims to be selling 2003 Nissan Altima (she didn't get my money). She wanted to be paid with prepaid cards, I didn't fall for her trick.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I live in Kentucky & purchased a vehicle in Michigan. To title a vehicle in Kentucky you have to have a AFFIDAVIT OF TOTAL CONSIDERATION GIVEN FOR A MOTOR VEHICLE double notarized of signatures both buyer & seller. My seller won't respond & Ebay won't help as I have the title which is worthless without the affidavit... Spent 4 hours on the phone with Ebay. No one that I could talk to could get that I haven’t received the documents necessary to get clear title? Buyer Protection? It’s a bad joke… The last supervisor I spoke with allowed I could part it out to recoup my loss? Somebody needs to be sued for misinformation!! What protection? I'm a 15 year Ebayer with 1100 feedback of 100%. Not a business!!! Unbelievable I could find myself in this position.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I like many people here feel robbed after going thru the experience on buying a car thru eBay motors. Like everyone else here I received an email offering a car for sale and as always this person was in the armed forces and I believe it and I send $2500.00. This eBay agent who is obvious was not, now I am trying to call him at the number he gave me and he does not answer. I do not understand how eBay allow someone to use their logo and prey on people and rob them of their hard earn money. Now I am not sure how am I going to get the money back. I called eBay and they told me they were not responsible and I called MoneyGram and they told me they were not responsible so that is why I am writing in here to see if anyone can help me or tell if they were able to get their money back.

eBay Motors Company Information