2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

eBay Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I seen an ad on Facebook Marketplace for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I messaged the person Carig **, an automated message sent back telling me his aunt was the one selling it and to email her (**). I then decided to email her, she said it was her deceased husband's, and that she was in the military about to be deployed. I didn’t think anything of it, so I proceeded with the transaction. eBay then emailed me how to pay for it, so I went ahead and paid for it. Then they told me the shipping will be starting in a few hours but I need to pay insurance of 1k, so I again went ahead and paid it.

Now today, Dec 5th eBay emailed me saying I need to pay Utah’s custom tax of 1.2k. I then started to question it because I asked them for a refund because I wasn’t willing to pay more money. They continued to tell me It’s in their policy that I couldn’t get a refund until I received the vehicle. So I asked them for a copy of their policy and they haven't emailed me back in the past 5 hrs. I finally decided to look at reviews, which I should’ve done before, and turns out it was a SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Glad I pulled up Consumer Affairs reviews and was told to not buy eBay gift cards to purchase vehicles "stating" the invoice is from ebay Motors.. If it's not from their ebay site it is someone trying to scam you. Plus if price is too good to be true and the excuse is a family member deceased and they are in the military about to be deployed... I almost fell for it...

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

These crooked department of Ebay charged my credit card doubled of insertion fee. Although called several times and promised it will be credited, they finally forcefully charged me double. Be aware of these online thieves now. I used to trust this company and not anymore....

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I went on offer up to look for a car and the seller only wanted to be contacted via email so I emailed her and she let me know that she was selling the car through eBay Motors for a safe transaction. She blocked me on offer up then she sent me an invoice from eBay motors. The invoice said in order to make the transaction I will need eBay cards so I thought it was a little sketchy because of the payment method other than that it looked legit. So I googled reviews and every review is bad and are going through the same thing I did. And she is scamming them. I'm so grateful I did not send her any money!

She switches the stories and names up but she is scamming people out of their money and using eBay motors. I contacted eBay motors to make sure it was a scam and IT WAS!!! The agent told me to never send money on eBay cards it should be done through PayPal and they should be contacting me directly through eBay not my personal email! I have put the email below that I received from the scammer. I will also try to attach images of the fake invoice! Please be careful and do not fall for this scam. If you receive an email like this forward it to spoof@ebay.com!

Hello,

My name is Vanessa, and I'm emailing you about a 2013 Nissan Altima with an gasoline engine, automatic transmission and only 89,000 mileage. Never had or needed any paint/body work done, the garage kept always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine 2.5L V6 runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. This car was used by my husband who died 4 month ago. The price was reduced at $1,400 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer.

I need to sell it before the 5 of next month, when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and do not want to store my car. Hate to sell it but it's not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address (city and zip code) and phone number), so we can get the ball rolling.

Original review: July 15, 2020

The lady that I am trying to buy the boat through decided to consign the boat to eBay Motors. She gave them all of my information and an invoice was generated. I called in to ebay and the line said it was busy. So I called a few more times and finally got a person to answer. He smartmouthed me about making so many calls in I had made. Being in sales for the 38 years I was a sales person I would never ever talk to a customer like he talked to me. I am still deciding whether or not to buy from ebay motors!!!

Original review: June 27, 2020

June 27, 2020 my son wants to buy Silverado pick up and we saw this car offer up for only 1,200. I ask for that car if it's still available and someone emailed me by the name Elena ** using email account ** and she said it's still available and gave me the linked for ebay motors to deal with that car. She even said that she wants to sell that car because that was his son's car who died from accident.

After a few minutes, they emailed my son and they ask my son to buy ebay gift cards worth 1,200. And another 1,000 for shipping. But after paying it, they are no longer replying to all my messages and email and I check the number she gave to me is different from the number of legit ebay account. The number they are using is **. So pls pls pls. I want this to stop and give warning and precautions to all of you so pls DO NOT BUY ANY OR PAY ANY SINGLE CENTS IF THEY ASK YOU FOR EBAY GIFT CARD. They are all scammer!!!! I check the offerup and I saw they are in a group of scammer using different names. And I'm asking to report it to the police and FBI whoever experienced this. I know in due time, all their evilness will end up.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I agreed to pay Debra ** $600 for a trailer she offered through eBay, and sent eBay the $600, but eBay demanded another $1,000 for "shipping insurance," then, when I paid that, demanded another $1,000 for reasons not given. I sent another $800 before realizing something shady was going on, and demanded shipment of the trailer. I have gotten no responses from eBay since then, on Sunday, May 31, even after daily messages from me about filing a complaint with the BBB and asking the California Attorney General to investigate for possible fraud.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I pay for a boat and never received it. I paid 2500 and it was a scam. Have not heard for the people for four days now after I paid. They said it would be here in twelve hours. It the longest 12 hours. I don't recommend eBay Motor to no one. It is a rip off site and eBay should do something cause it's ruining the eBay name.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Don't buy eBay gift cards and pay for the car that way. That's how they got me for $800 bucks, I wouldn't recommend using the internet. Way too many ways to get your money and disappear. I bought 2 $400 Ebay cards and they haven't responded. And I used to use Ebay to sell products too. Never again though. Even wrote them with no response. I'm super disappointed in Ebay and they'll never see my business again. You guys have been warned.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I just got taken for $1600 buying a car from a "Sarah" who was using eBay Motors for a more "secure" transaction. We communicated through emails, even received an invoice from eBay Motors with the car, Sarah's name and address. It was all so legit, yet here I am with no car. No responses from either Sarah or eBay Motors, no idea how to report this scam, and out of $1600. Be very careful if you are buying from anyone using eBay Motors.

eBay Motors author review by Tom Rains

Cars, trucks, motorcycles and other vehicles are available on this classic bidding site. You can either bid on a vehicle or, if available, buy at the set price. You can also look at satisfaction ratings to see if a seller has a history of satisfied customers and is legitimate. Daily deals on car parts and other accessories also provide opportunities for savings.

• Bidding process: You can bid on the vehicles on eBay Motors, just like you can on the rest of the eBay site. If you are the highest bidder, the car is yours. Otherwise, keep bidding.

• Vehicles and car parts available: eBay Motors also sells motorcycle, truck and other vehicle parts. Bid and sell on car parts just like you would for any other item on the eBay site.

• Vehicle protection program: eBay Motors can protect purchases of up to $50,000. If you pay for a vehicle but never receive it, or accidentally pay for a stolen vehicle, then the purchase protection will go into effect.

• Available mobile app: A companion mobile app is available for users who want to access eBay Motors from their phone. Here, you can search and bid on cars, just like you can on the website.

• Daily deals on vehicle essentials: eBay Motors has a Daily Deals section where you can browse bargain offerings on car care essentials, accessories and garage or shop equipment.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

eBay Motors Company Information